Speaker 1: Welcome to Game Breaking News with Me Jeff Grub, your host from Giant Bob dot com. Thank you for tuning in on this episode. We're going to be talking about a massive decline in gaming hardware sales and developers are uniting around the industry. We have Janet Show on the program, so it's going to be a good one. Let's get right into it with Janet Show and jan how are you doing?
Speaker 2: I am doing marginally better than yesterday. I can sit in a chair.
Speaker 1: Fine.
Speaker 2: Uh, the back is still okay. It still feels like a group of fur grade horses trampled over it. I don't know if that's an actual classification of horses.
Speaker 1: But here we are. I mean, listen to me. It sounded like insane lyrics from my red Hot Chili Pepper song. So you don't want that happening in your back. You don't want red Hot.
Speaker 3: Chili Pepper songs happening back here there in those muscles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right now, I'm at like Beck level lyrics. Uh huh, with the help of my back, which which is safe. We're not crossing the RHCP.
Speaker 1: Bridge yet. We're under it. Yeah, we're under it.
Speaker 3: Boom Okay. Jane how you do it.
Speaker 2: Otherwise, video games are coming out grub I popped into Assassin's Creed yesterday.
Speaker 1: Holy smokes, I'm enjoying that a lot. Yeah, pretty good.
Speaker 2: It's pretty good. You and Sean checked it out on the website yesterday, and that inspired me to like, all right, I want to I want to check out this bamboo that that Dan is talking about that he's so high on good bamboo. Good bamboo. Maybe the best bamboo of the year so.
Speaker 1: Far, I think. So. Yeah, you know, there there was a time in all these open world games where they would simulate everything and you could like shoot the trees and the trees would fall down, and I think they're like, well, the wider audience doesn't care about that. They just care about having way points to go to h and then so you your stuff went in that direction. I think they're like realizing now that having all that extra cool stuff in there was important, even if not everyone was engaging with it. So yeah, I'm glad that we're like kind of they seem to be dipping their toe back in it. It's like I said on that thing with Sean, it's not far cry to levels of interactivity with the world in that game, but you can chop up the bamboo and it looks real nice.
Speaker 3: And that one, that's one where it's like, well.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. You have a sword, there's bamboo in front of you. You want to be able to chop it up and have it look nice. But at least they did actually do that. Yeah, I've been playing that. It's it's been pretty good. Got some other stuff. Looking forward to to hopping into here pretty soon. Gonna we're gonna play some thirty three Immortals today. I played some of that last night. That's strange. It's interesting, strange to say the least. Yeah, I kind of got in the flow of it though, so it will kind of we'll show it off here in a little bit not long after the show today. It is that thirty three player online cooperative rogue Light games. It's Hades, but thirty three players. You can have a crew of four and really you're just kind of a crew of four in an instance, working together with other crews, trying to accomplish an overall goal on any floor.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I was enjoying myself, so yeah, looking forward to playing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I dipped into that a little bit as well this morning.
Speaker 1: And you're right.
Speaker 2: I don't enjoy the bow that they start you out with. And I also didn't like that they started you out with one of those instant that you have to fail missions, just because I spent too much time actually trying to play and win but totally wound up switching weapons. And it is an interesting premise kind of being dumped with a bunch of other people playing at the same time reminds me of I Guess Destiny in some ways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. It's definitely like taking some of the that field of feelings of playing a game like that and applying it to a hades. And I think it's a cool thing to do with a popular genre right now, like oh, haites something there, like a lot of indie developers are aping. That's great, that's fantastic. I would probably be I'm like interested to see, Okay, what spin can you put on there? And this is a pretty good spin. All right, let's explain what we do here most weekdays, I Jeff Grub will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you are watching live on Twitch welcome, You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game Best Mornings, or find the RSS on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Hello YouTube.
Speaker 1: All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's break some game news with February's twenty twenty five US video game market highlights from Matt Piscatella over at Sircana. As he does each month, he dropped a bunch of tidbits about what's going on around the industry in terms of performance and sales, and for February twenty twenty, twenty twenty five, projected US consumer spending on video game hardware, content and accessories. It declined six percent when compared to a year ago to four point five billion dollars. Spending so far this year is eleven percent lower than twenty twenty four year to date, which hit nine billion, no, excuse me, nine billion dollars. Even This is mostly due to a dip in hardware, but it's kind of across the board. We see everything's down. Content was down despite a lot of new games launching in February. Video game hardware, though specifically down thirty five percent, it is from like seven hundred and twelve million dollars spent on hardware in the United States last year all the way down to four hundred and sixty one million. You know, the biggest culprit with this continues to be the switch is at the end of its life. People are not buying switches the way they once were. They're not buying switches the way Nintendo even thought they could maybe still be. So we know that that is like the main culprit. But PlayStation and Xbox. Every time we kind of get this info from from Mattisktela, at least throughout the last several months, it's often been both of those systems are down double digit percentage wise because they are on the other side of the hump. When we had Matt on two months ago, now one month ago, whatever that was, he explained, like, yeah, we are past the tipping point of the current console generation where the Xbox and the PlayStation should start dipping in terms of reaching new people to sell consoles to, although he did mention that it's dipping faster than he would have anticipated and faster than it typically does at this point in the generation. That's continuing, so you know, whatever, whatever's happening there. I mean, we'll get into all of it here in a second, but I guess let's hit the top best selling games for the month. Like I said, a lot of new games launched in February, so that was not like the thing holding the industry back, and the top four on the chart were all new games, and really the like six of the top eight are new games. So number one was Monster Hunter Wilds from Capcom. Number two Kingdom Come Deliverance too did very well. Number three was Civilization seven. Number four is PGA two or two K twenty five. Then NBA two K twenty five. It was back on the chart at number five. Call of Duty Black Ops six was number six, and then two other new games avowed at number seven and number eight is like a Dragon Pirate Yakuza in Hawaii, And then the rest of the chart is a lot of the familiar faces, starting with Grand Theft, Auto, Madden, Minecraft E, Sports Football Club twenty five, things like that.
Speaker 2: How is how is Hogwarts legacy still on this chart?
Speaker 1: I mean it's it is, it has become one of these games where I think we talked about the hardware not selling. I think the hardware when it does sell, it is getting picked up by people who are like, Okay, I'm gonna finally get that Hogwarts game, I'm gonna get Grand THEFTD five again for the third time on this new hardware and Minecraft or something like that. Yeah, the very familiar games and then the one new one that has sort of entered into that pantheon.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, I think I got some improvements on the Switch not too long ago, and so it was selling there again. But yeah, it's it's definitely just has become one of these ever selling games, right, there's kind of no denying that. Hey, Astrobot though still on the chart at number twenty. That's great to see as well. Yeah, that's fantastic. You know, the story with this gen I think we've had this conversation million times now, is Hey, Grand Theft out of six and switch To are coming. And I think switched to probably does solve the hardware sales thing, and then that may be snowballs and helps with software.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like a lot of people are waiting for Nintendo's next moves to kind of plan out financially the road ahead. I think with people that have already bought a console, or we're on a fence of buying a PS five or an Xbox are unfortunately waiting for GTA six to come out this year or not. And yeah, because I don't believe there's necessarily any if you have been on the fence of picking up and joining this new generation that is what four or five years old now, and there hasn't been that killer app or a killer game to convince you to jump ship from PS four or the Xbox one. Then because you can still play your Fortnite, you can still play your Call of Duties or your war Zone or whatever else have you, then you're obviously at this point waiting for GTA six, or you're waiting for I don't know, something like Kingdom Hearts four, or you have no interest in adopting this next or joining this current consule jen and you are waiting for that switch to So I can see why hardwell hardware sales are down overall, on top of just people being really.
Speaker 1: Tight with money right now.
Speaker 2: Just because right now, just because of the rising costs of everything else, I mean groceries, we don't need to get into it. But like I saw a roadside sign as I was driving yesterday that says, yo, we got eggs, and it was like a local farmer selling eggs astronomical prices. But hey, they're taking advantage of what's going on right now. Yeah, I don't know. Do you think with an Xbox handheld this year that could spike hardware sales as well? Or are people kind of just waiting for GTA six or just waiting for prices to go down across the board, or just waiting for the switch too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think switch to is the big one, clearly, And then I think something like an Xbox handheld is the tip of the sphere of introducing this kind of hardware to a new audience of people that maybe did not consider handhelds before, or maybe didn't consider video games because it wasn't convenient to them. And maybe the Xbox One could be Hey, this is like a console that I've heard of, but now handheld I can go for that. Excuse me. And they're promising that all the games that work on that system, the things I've heard of as well, Fortnite can work on here. But I think we've seen with the Steam Deck, which I think has been in you know, an unqualified success. It's at like five million ish, six million ish. That's not like it's just nothing close to what the consoles do, even the Xbox. So I just I just think the handheld is going to have to establish itself as a new tier off to the side, and the Xbox Handheld is part of that lineage along with the Steam Deck and everything else, and then the Switch continues to be in its own little gully over there doing its own thing. But yeah, I mean hardware is just you mentioned it. People are tight with the purse strings right now. I think the uncertainty, you know, just absolutely you know flooding the economy right now definitely has caused people to be like, let's just hold off on any you know, unnecessary spending, and consoles are just squarely in the unnecessary spending zone for the vast majority of people. And so I'm not surprised that it's it's getting hit a little bit hard, and it's hit harder than it's been for quite some time. I'll read here more from Matt Piskutella February Video Game hardware spending fell by twenty five percent when compared to a year ago, to two hundred and fifty six million dollars. This is the lowest February total for video game hardware spending since the one hundred and eighty four million dollars reached in February twenty twenty, which was you know that that would have been before the new consoles, like right before the new generation of consoles, So they've kind of gone back to people are waiting for the new thing, That's what they were doing in February twenty twenty. And then on top of that, there was the looming uncertainty of the pandemic, which people were beginning to recognize at this point. You know, obviously the economy really shut down in art, but there was definitely people going like, wait, what's happen? Why do I keep hearing this every day on the news? Is this really going to hit us like a wall? So yeah, and then you know, the consoles came out later that year, and then of course people were at home and wanted video games and things popped off. But you know, maybe that same thing doesn't quite happen, and that's not going to happen this time, people are not going to be rushing to get games in that same way, except for if they really want to switch to other like notes here from Matt. Monster Hunter Wilds was the best selling video game of February, instantly becoming the best selling title of twenty twenty five so far. Launch month dollar sales of Monster Hunter Wilds more than double the total of Monster Hunter Rise achieved during its March twenty twenty one debut, and Monster Hunter Wilds was the best selling game of February February across the PlayStation, Xbox, and Steam ecosystems, the Steam accounting for more than half of the title's total dollar sales. So that's that's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's pretty substantial. Who knew grub launching on everything would boost sales perhaps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like to the point where people are like choosing the PC version and I mean more than half of dollar sales we're just on Steam. It's like, that's just not how these breakdowns normally happen. It's PlayStation is like forty percent, and then Steam is thirty percent, and then the other the thirty percent.
Speaker 3: Is maybe Xbox, and you know there's given.
Speaker 1: Take there, But yeah, I think that this game has just clearly shown that, oh, there's a huge audience everywhere, and the PC gamers now are ready to show up for this thing right away. And yeah, the right choice to get this thing out everywhere. I mean, and we've heard this from every publisher now, being like, we just want to be everywhere we possibly can be. That seems to be the strategy that works best. And yeah, this is proving it, which maybe is like, Okay, hey, that next Final Fantasy when Square Enix decides let's put that out everywhere right away as soon as it's ready to go, does it have a chance of popping off in a similar way. It's obviously not could do Monster Hunter number it just isn't, but it could be a much different story than the ooh, how's it really doing that we've been saying with Final Fantasy sixteen and seven Part two remake. Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Wonder if the multiplayer component is a big factor in this doing so well on PC as well, where folks and even on console where folks are thinking like, all right, cool, I don't have I'm getting tired of playing and I hate to constantly bring it up, but Fortnite or Warzone with my friends or we've already gone through a season of whatever multiplayer game we're doing together. Now, is this the one we're investing in because we know that we can spend a lot of time in Monster Hunter and we will get DLC in the future. So I'm curious if that plays a big role versus if the new Final Fantasy, like the third seven remake game or the next mainline big numbered title would do well since it would be a single player game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, there's so many, so many factors there, but it's I mean, one of the big things holding them back just was this idea that the money from PlayStation was worth it. And I think they've they've said now it wasn't. It is not. It is a hindrance on the long term success of these franchises, and really seems to be a hindrance on the immediate success as well. They want to sell as many copies of those games as they possibly can, and they weren't. They just weren't. And and you know whatever reason that, you know, the PlayStation audience didn't completely glom onto it, whatever, that's maybe the game's fault. But being able to like find the kinds of people that want to play this game elsewhere while you held that back yourself, excuse me by just taking the bag from PlayStation. And it's being like, okay, well we got money upfront.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 1: It's like yeah, but it seems maybe it is steering Final Fantasy into a little bit of a relation.
Speaker 2: In the meantime, Colonel Sanders twenty one in the Giant Bomb Chat poses an interesting pipeline where kids are kind of clamoring or asking for PCs more than they are asking for consoles. And I wonder if those that generation of iPad kids or kids that we grew up with screens don't want a console and they want a PC because maybe they grew up watching Roadblock streamers, Minecraft streamers, Fortnite streamers, and they were all playing on PCs. So maybe they aren't going for a console that can just do the one thing and play the games. They're looking for something where okay, well I can not only play this game, but I could stream this game. There's discord on this PC. It's easy to link up with friends this way. Yeah, who knew. Maybe at your local job fair or bring your your career day grub we can be bad YouTubers and be proud of it.
Speaker 1: That's right. Maybe finally uh weird pride. I don't know what that feels like, Yeah, yeah, gross, I yes, I mean they start maybe started playing Minecraft on a hand me down phone, but then that led them to, like you said, watching streamers, and those streamers are all going to be doing things like playing with mods, like setting up their own custom games. Stuff that is just much easier and like sort of standardized and the default on PC and so you know, and like every time you if you were watching on these streamers, it's it's probably hard to go through an entire stream without someone and chapping like what kind of PC do you have? And then they talk about that, and people just so absorb that stuff through osmosis and like, if I want to be like this person who is my favorite content creator, I shall have a PC. And I think it kind of has shaken out to the to the point where it's like, oh, that had a massive sort of shift on the entire landscape of where people play games. And you know, it seems like it's not necessarily been at the complete expensive consoles, but a little bit of the at the expensive consoles here As we get to the end of this generation and people that may have been like, Okay, I'll hop in now, like now they already have PCs because they were able to justify that by hey, this is a multi use thing that I can use for all kinds of different stuff, including maybe making money one day, and so I don't need a console and a lot of those console games now are on PC. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wonder if in the long run, this future generation of cameras will eventually hurt the console market. But oddly enough, I feel like the Switch and Nintendo, not that they're impervious to it, grub, but I feel like they just they're just so far in a different lane that they don't really worry about how PlayStation and Microsoft are necessarily doing hardware wise.
Speaker 1: It's a similar lane, but you're right, it is different, right because it's it's still kids. We're talking about families. Now. This is not like, oh, what is the kid's hobby? Should we get them a he sees so we can facilitate the hobby. It's like no, no, like this is something we're going to get for the entire family, and that kind of spending. It just people underestimated all the time. It is very, very powerful and It's like, if I spend this one dollar on this form of entertainment, it will pay dividends, and that it is something for the entire family can get joy out of. The Switch is just the thing in that butter zone there to take advantage of that. So yeah, I just think that it's it's still actually quite a bit of a different thing, and it's a protected thing. It's it's shielded from all this other guff happening because nothing else is really threatening to switch his position in that in that zone and Nintendo's position specifically. All right, here, here's some more news. Dan Record cut his mouth slit in an et mask so he can eat candy. So look forward to that later today. And you don't have to wear the costume. Now. I think he's I think he's addicted to it. He put it on, and I expect him to be wearing this costume from now on. Okay, Zeno Blake Chronicles X Definitive. It got an eighty seven on Open Critic, which is higher than the original version, which I think got like an eighty four around that range. Now, selection bias that people like the game probably did review the game, but whatever, this is eighty seven still a hard number to get. Got a nine out of ten from George Yang, who said, and the silvered IgM Xena Blake Chronicles X was already one of the we use best games, and this Definitive Edition does more than enough to justify another trip to Planet Mira ten out of ten from Stephen Mills at Destructoid Monolith. Soft Wind went the extra mile and added meaningful new content and quality of life features that actually improved on what was already a masterpiece experience. The Definitive Edition treatment makes Xena Blake Chronicles X Definitive Edition one of the best JRPGs on the Switch and a must play for fans of the genre. And then will row Over at Digital Trends gave it four stars, said Zena Bla Chronicles X Definitive Edition gives a great RPG the second chance it deserves.
Speaker 3: Are you have you ever played X?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: The first Zeno Blade Chronicles I got into was the most recent one other than this three yep, and I dug the hell out of that game grub because the original Zeno blad Chronicles X that launched on the WI You Yeah, that's right. I did not want to be anywhere near the WEU, of course not. So I am very psyched for this to review well, and I'm very psyched to check this out, especially given how weird this universe is and how how tied to space drama and space opera it is. And I just eat that stuff up grub.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I think this is the one. Maybe I'm most interested out of the Zeno Blade games because I have played some Chronicles three and I enjoyed myself. I thought that was pretty good. I didn't play a ton of it, but I played some of it. This one is, I guess more. It has more of an emphasis on exploration, and you know, it's the tech that was the under tech for this game was what they eventually kind of used for Breath of the Wild, and I like just running around Breath with the Wild if I can kind of get something slightly similar, but there's more GRPG stuff in there. I'm okay with that. I'm gonna I want to shuck it out, So I think I'm gonna play this, give it a shot. Also, I just want a couple more reasons to play the Switch one before it's all said and done, and I'm gonna I'm gonna take this as an opportunity to do that, Grub.
Speaker 2: I've seen the sentiment of people even in our chat saying like, all right, I'm glad this game came out, gonna wait for the switch too, And I'm almost on that wavelength too. Sure, I get it, and I, for whatever reason, I'm still semi compelled Grub to buy an o led Switch one just so I can take this like final victory lamp on the switch and have everything look great before the Switch two comes out.
Speaker 1: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm on the fence. And I feel that same way about Pokemon Za as well. Of waiting for the Switch too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that one feels like can we get a date for that? I feel like that was like later than we were anticipating, so like that the Switch too should be well out by the time we get that thing, although it will be a Switch one game as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's it's tough.
Speaker 1: Like I I'm happy with my Olet, although my kids have kind of beat it up a little bit. And I did find myself at Target the other day, man, I'm like, oh, look at the Mario Wonder bundle.
Speaker 3: I own Mario Wonder and I own an Olet already.
Speaker 4: I'm like, no, I'll walk away, but I did like consider it for a half second. But we are I mean, god, we could. Now we can like just count the days, all right. I'm just gonna count them.
Speaker 1: We are one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen days exactly two weeks. So it's gonna be, yeah, the Wednesday, two weeks from now that we will be getting that Nintendo Direct for the switch to on April second. So you know, I think everyone pumps the breaks. Most people in chat are already in that zone. They're pumping the brakes, like, let's just wait to see what's going on with the switch too, and then maybe I'll pick up some of these final Switch one games for that. We don't know what the enhancements are going to be, Like, I think it's safe to us there will be some enhancements for games coming out in this general area, this general date range.
Speaker 2: Greb, can I can? I will you come with me on a thought train real quick?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Please?
Speaker 2: All right, choo chow, everyone get on board. John Cena, big fan of Metroid correct Yeah, the biggest Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Nintendo notorious for delaying games because of real life, world events A good point, right, So perhaps you know they did delayed the Advanced Wars re release. They delayed another thing because the queen died. Now of the Kingdom here, yes, yes, Tears of the Kingdom. Oh my god, wow, what a what an event in history. Now, what if they potentially delay Metroid Prime four because John Cena is is now a bad guy?
Speaker 1: You can't be seen as rewarding keel John Cena the bad guy, no matter how much he's tries to explain it away by giving him a Metroid, the thing he wants most in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like you know, he was talking about how we take and take and take. Now, what if he takes Metroid Prime four away from us?
Speaker 1: I mean that would be Dan luck as someone who counterpicked it in uh fantasy critic if it got if it got delayed because of John Cena, I mean he could be in cahoots with John Cena and making this happen. So he's very devastated.
Speaker 2: He was already in the switch chamber. Who knows what he's doing in the switch to chambers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what that. They are trying to build a switch to prison strong enough to hold heal. John Cena. I don't know. I don't think they're gonna be able to do it.
Speaker 3: All right, let's keep going here.
Speaker 1: Game Developers launched North America's first industry wide union that anyone can join. This is from Ethan Gotch at Kotaku Games. Game industry unionization efforts that exploded across SEGA of America, Bethesda, and others have recently been on pause. A new initiative by the Commune indications Workers of America could jumpstart things again. At the Game Developers Conference twenty twenty five, happening this week, the group announced the founding of the United Video Game Workers, a new sister organization that hopes to enlist developers from all different disciplines and studios in broader labor battles across the industry. The uvwcwa's mission, per a press release reported by IGN, is to not only build a community and solidarity amongst video game workers, but also to build large scale education campaigns about labor organizing in the video game industry. Unlike individual union shops, which bargain contracts with employees, the direct joint model functions more like a voluntary trade group, where paid dues and resources are pooled to help with various labor fights across the broader market. The announcement comes as sag Aftra game actors entered their ninth month of striking for AI protections while publishers experiment with digital replicas. Yeah, this is I'm like surprised this is actually happening, because it's like this felt like the one step they actually wouldn't do, like do the equivalent with the equivalent of the United Auto Workers or SAG after things like that. Something that just applies to the market broadly, the industry broadly. Whether you work at one studio or another, you could still join this union and have protections and maybe maybe at a certain point down the line. I don't know health benefits even between jobs, because you know the way the industry works. It's similar to the way Hollywood works, right, Jambertz. You're on one project and then when that project gets done filming, you're done. Were contracted to do that. So what do you do about healthcare? Well, the healthcare comes through the union, at least in some unions in the Hollywood. And I don't know, and I don't have total insight into that, but I know that's how it works for like actors and things like that. So can video game workers get something similar because they are often laid off as the project project ends. I would hope so, and maybe this is a step toward that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this would be absolutely amazing because I mean, there are different trades out there, grub like you mentioned, that protect you from job to job, or especially protect you from gig to gig. And having this type of protection in an incredibly volatile industry arguably more volatile than the entertainment industry is right now. This amount of protection, whether it is in between getting unfortunately laid off and then joining another studio or perhaps venturing out into a solo project or a smaller indie project, this would provide so much protection, and I think then I would start to feel okay recommending seeking or going into the games industry as a career with the safety net of a potential bigger, wider industry union. I would give this as much support as possible.
Speaker 1: Yep. You know, as Ethan points out, we've heard a lot about unions starting up across different studios, but none of those studios that have unions, or I should say none of the unions within those studios have actually been able to successfully negotiate new contracts with their publishers and the parent companies. That stuff is like still either happening or on pause or where nothing's happening. There is like a lot of roadblocks between actually finalizing those those conversations to the point where like a collectively bargained contract is finalized. You know, really you need more pressure, and the pressure has been building, but you need more pressure, and something like this could be the kind of thing where it really puts things over the top and forces these companies to do what needs to be done and actually come to the table and collectively bargain with workers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm I'm with anarchist Mike Minatti here. You know, maybe let's topple topple our overlords here, and at least for game devs or other folks eating game develop mentor that side of the fence. I want them to have as many protections and as many things as possible to help them continue doing their jobs, because ultimately, at the end, they're the ones making the games and not these shareholders. I couldn't care for the shareholders at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ge whiz, can I just borrow the means of production there? Real quick?
Speaker 2: Buddy, she whiz. We'll see it ourselves, all right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hey, this is this cool.
Speaker 1: GDC is the kind of place where this can really get a lot of traction, really take off. It is there's always a lot of these vibes there of Hey, we're in this together as game developers. That is the point of GDC. They come there to share knowledge with each other openly, despite you know, working on products that are ostensibly competing with one another, because they know that the medium grows when they all come together and share that passion. Well, let's you know, share in the the risk with one another of arguing with the companies that you work for, and maybe you can prove things to the point where as you said, Jan, everyone begins feeling better about recommending this industry to new people. So we can keep getting new cool stuff and new cool ideas from new cool people. And those new cool people can feed themselves, house themselves and maybe you know, start families or do whatever they want with their hoot, it's their money, they should be able to do it.
Speaker 3: I know it's crazy, all right, let's take a quick break.
Speaker 1: When we come back, plenty more to talk about, including a new Xbox adapted Joystick that is available now.
Speaker 3: All right, let's get right back into it.
Speaker 1: As I mentioned Xbox, you know who already had that one big adaptive controller now is basically put out a nun chuck version of that. You could plug in there, and it's available now. I think it's just called the Xbox Adaptive Joystick. This comes from Darren Bonthus at game Spot. The Xbox Adaptive Joystick has officially launched, giving users a new accessibility option for playing games, bearing a stri striking resemblance to the Nintendo Wheeze Nunchuck controller. The Xbox Adaptive Joystick is priced at thirty dollars and could be purchased from the Microsoft Store. It's compatible with PC and Xbox consoles, although I think they're always trying to add more support for other platforms with the stuff. Microsoft says that this wired controller was designed in collaboration with gaming and disability communities so that the users with limited mobility have access to a device that can meet their needs. They show an image of someone tucking it into their shoulder and using their chin on the analog stick, like, oh look, we're kind of like thinking about the ergonomics of that. There's like rubber on the back to help it stay in place. Things along those lines is what they're thinking here. And yeah, it is really just a nunchuck. It has a few more buttons on there. But you know, something ain't broke, you don't have to fix it. It seems like a pretty good idea. I think the nunchuck did have some popularity with accessibility people, but that had the proprietary Nintendo switch. Can we connector God, this will have just USB, can plug it into anything, and or it might even have the the like phone adapter thing that they use for a lot of accessibility stuff that like there's a bunch of those ports on the back of the one adaptive controller. Either way, Like this is part of an ongoing effort by Microsoft and a lot of people in the industry to make gaming more accessible. And I think, you know, I approve for one.
Speaker 2: Jan making it easier for everyone to play games. Why would you anyone have any issue with that. I do like that it has adopted the kind of nunchuck style. I enjoyed the controllers that the Meta three had, So I don't know. It might be a nun chuck convert crub. Yeah, I might be a chucker.
Speaker 1: Man, I knew you were such a chucker out here, always chucking with Gianna Choa. Yeah, it's uh like it looks comfortable, it looks nice, and I think it is going to really it's just one option. Yeah, So it's like like if someone like sees this thing, like, how would this work for the specific problems that I have. Well, you know, first of all, people in these communities know that they like a lot of the stuff is still going to be custom built, and that's what the adaptive controller supports. Supports like you plugging in whatever you want into that thing, and there's probably gonna be a way to get it to work. But this is just like, let's standardize one thing for something that could serviace a lot of people in the community. See if we can't help out a little bit by putting out products that are reasonably priced and well designed, and we'll work with the stuff just by in a plug and play way.
Speaker 3: That's nice to see. And Microsoft's not the only one doing this now.
Speaker 1: A bid dou has their like here's all the buttons just on the face of this controller, including the shoulder buttons and things like that. So you could just kind of find it on this on the surface of the pad and press it. And I think Sony's got some of their own stuff as well. So this is a good movement that has been happening in gaming. And it's at a certain point it's like, you know, they're not just serving Oh how many people are that are that have disabilities or playing games. It's like, you know, at a certain point we all are going to encounter injuries or aging that put us in a situation where it's like if people, if people are solving these problems now, it could benefit you later, even if you're not even thinking about this at all in this moment, and that's invaluable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, I know that we don't see a lot of hardware specific stuff on the Sony side, or at least like as much as we do from Xbox, but I mean I remember like the Last of Us Part two having an insane amount of accessibility options. So that also, yes, coming through on the software side is fantastic to see, especially when you have games like Final Fantasy fourteen or World of Warcraft really allowing for customization in terms of hot keys and everything. That goes a long way in terms of accessibility for people that can't use the keyboard or find a control to be more up their alley in terms of what they're able to use. So applause across the board for really increasing the visibility on accessibility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, there's a the old saying from ron A Reagan about economics of the rising tide lifts all boats. And we know that that was like the trickle down bullshit that that wasn't real. But when you raise, you know, the rising tide of carrying about all communities everywhere where they are, that actually does benefit everybody. Like actually doing the work to help marginalized groups really does make a difference for everyone in the end. So thinking about these problems make it sure that you know they where we are putting every accessibility option we could think of in the Last of Us Part two. There might be one thing in there for someone who does not consider them themselves part of that community. But oh wait, this does actually help me a little bit, and uh, you know it closed captions for me, I'm like, that is an accessibility thing that I use all the time. I need that it helps me process information better. And that's that's the same thing. It's part of the same lineage. There all right, let's keep moving. Hey. An update on this one, skate Story adds PS five version. It's also kind of getting a little bit more of a release date info. This comes from Salamano at Gamatsu. Skateboarding adventure game Skate Story will launch for PlayStation five alongside it's previously announced PC Steam version. In twenty twenty five, publisher to Bolver Digital and developer sam Ing announced they're saying this game should be coming out in summer. It continues to look really cool. I'm hoping that this thing actually does hit here pretty soon. And I think maybe the good news is it was originally just kind of announced for Steam, and now getting a console version makes it feel more real someomehow where it's like, oh, they've been having conversations with Sony about getting this game out there, and Devolver Digital's still out there talking about the game. So that's pretty exciting for a game that I just think looks so stylish and so slick.
Speaker 2: Skating's back on the menu, baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I mean we know that just by looking at the skating culture or it's popping off more than it has been forever, but video games being like ready to catch that excitement and do something with it. Is has always traditionally been very important to skateboarding, so love to see that. Now we're gonna get the Tony Hawk, we're getting skate and we're getting sort of the Tetris effect equivalent of skateboarding with this game.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, yeah, let's do that. That sounds great.
Speaker 1: And I guess for people that aren't watching visually, skate story is you know, a shimmery man on a skateboard skating through a digital health scape or something like that while cool music and special effects happen, it just looks very stylish. I mean, honestly Tetris effect, but for skateboarding maybe isn't so far off from a gaulation of what this thing is. Yeah, I think that's a good shout out. Perhaps a res or Aluminez as well. Yes in that zone. Yeah, this is Fanta Vision. Yeah, the Fantavision for skateboarding.
Speaker 3: Hey, that's overdue. We should have got that a long time ago.
Speaker 1: Personally, in my opinion, this was like not the only thing that was popping off from like some indie game announcements that Sony had, but this was the biggest one I saw from them.
Speaker 3: But there's some other stuff happening with indie games over at PlayStation.
Speaker 1: Let's get to this next story, though, College football players will be paid more to appear in College Football twenty six. This is from Nicole Carpenter at Polygon. Ahead of College Football twenty five, EA Sports paid college football players six hundred dollars and a copy of the game to license the player's likenesses for the game. That's being up to fifteen hundred dollars per player for college football twenty six, according to a report from The Athletic. EA Sports just said in an email to players on Tuesday for the report that name, image and likeness in IL payments would increase and.
Speaker 3: That players will still receive a copy of the game. From the beginning.
Speaker 1: We've designed our and I Help program to be accessible, direct, voluntary, and equitable for all, offering the same base level compensation to every FBS athlete that ops in using the one team platform encompass inil app. EA Sports Vice president of this this development, Joan O'Brien said in a statement to the Athletic, this approach empowers each athlete to make their own decision. College sports are growing and changing, and our focus at EA Sports is on continuing to put athletes first as we bring them in game in college ball twenty six and beyond.
Speaker 3: And we all know, we know that's all.
Speaker 1: Bullshit, right, It's like, that was so much bullshit, Ye, so much bullshit. You putting the players first? My god, get a grip you want like you're doing no such thing. You're giving them pennies for a game that makes hundreds of millions of dollars. I mean that first game in a long time. Last year's game maybe on its own made a billion and a half dollars. I mean, honestly, it might have made more than that. It was a massive success, huge success, and six hundred dollars for each player. Last year, I was like, and I don't know, I don't know how you license all these people. That's so many people. That's got to be a nightmare. And now they do kind of put a little bit of an explanation here, is it's a portal that the player can just go to and volunteer and then they get to see themselves in the game. They get fifteen hundred dollars this year and a copy of the game. What kid's not going to do that? And the one kid that's not going to do that. Were the handful of guys that ended up on the cover right that did not go this route. They were the arch Manning or whatever and Travis Hunter from Colorado, guys that were held out. I think arch Manning himself specifically held out until he got a deal and then he ended up in one of the commercials, which is going to pay a lot more money than any of this. So this is a way of like still depressing wages for people's likeness in some ways. But I mean, the company is also there's a lot of people to license, so we're of course we're doing that, although we're gonna lie and say we're doing it for the benefit of the student athletes.
Speaker 2: Yeah there, y'all could do a little bit more for the student athletes.
Speaker 1: Do more?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so please do more. That being said, I guess a little bit more of a payday is nice.
Speaker 1: For clearly it is better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these student athletes, I hope they got a free copy of the game.
Speaker 1: Last year they did.
Speaker 2: Six hundred dollars a free copy of the game. That's right, great, great, cool. Maybe a second copy of the game to give to a friend perhaps, Yeah.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: I mean I wonder if it's like, would one percent of the games by revenues split up among all these players be more than fifteen excuse me, more than fifteen hondred dollars.
Speaker 3: I bet it would be. I bet it actually would be, even.
Speaker 1: Despite the fact that there are hundreds I think probably more than a thousand players, maybe a couple of thousand players across all of the schools that they are licensing. So yeah, that would be you're splitting up a small piece of the pie, but it's very it could be a very, very very big pie. But you know, EA's not going to offer that. Ever, that would require require players to do something like have a student player union, something that happens in the pros, and they probably negotiate better deals than this, for like the the NFLPA than the NFL Players Association, where that's how they usually go. That's the route they go. They talk to the NFLPA or the NHLPA or whatever, and then they Okay, we're gonna offer a deal to you, and then you offered to all the players and see if anyone, if everyone, wants to sign, and I think those players get probably a little bit more than fifteen hundred dollars. At the same time, there are fewer of those than there are student athletes, so I see both sides. But I mean, let's be clear. Ea, this whole explanation is just a bunch of bs. How many people do you need on a college football team? Grub Yeah, I mean like four five? I think.
Speaker 2: All right, there's you, there's me, there's Dan Minatti, Nikki Turbo, Shawn Lucy GiB University, gb University baby coach with coach Bakalar. We can all get an easy fifteen hundred and a copy of this game.
Speaker 1: Pound the Rock, says Bacalar. Uh. Yeah, I would. I would enjoy that.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 1: I could use fifteen hundred dollars. I gotta replace my front door, so that'd be great. All right, Hey, college football twenty six probably still will be massively successful.
Speaker 3: It's not gonna be the breakout.
Speaker 1: Hit that college football twenty five was, Right, there was so much pinned up demand. Yeah, that's a lot of that was the explanation of how that game did so so so well. Although you know, college all more popular than it's ever been, so that still will do very good.
Speaker 2: That's very true. I am curious to see how the second game will be received, if it will be as is sell as well as the first one from last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's going to probably be the best selling sports game again. I think in the United States. Globally, that'll still be FIFA. In the United States, it'll probably still be this and it could be you know, number two, number three on the best selling Game of the year list for from Sircano, Matt Piscatel puts that out.
Speaker 3: But if Grand Theft Auto comes out, it's not going to like outsell that like it might have last year. All Right, keep pounding the rock on this show.
Speaker 1: In Zoi, price, free, update, plans and roadmap revealed just before launch. This comes from Eddie McCoo at GameSpot. The life sim game in.
Speaker 3: Zoi, which is how I'm gonna say that, I don't know if that's right.
Speaker 1: Is coming this month, and the games developer has finally confirmed additional key details, including the price of the game at launch. Game director hing O Jeong Kim said during the Enzoid Global showcase that the game will debut on Steam in early Access for forty dollars. According to PC Gamer, He said the game still has a lot to improve on, which is part of the reason why it's launching an early access This is the very like realistic looking SIMS like. It is the very you know, shiny wife wu Husbondo SIMS game, which I think a lot of people are craving and have been to you for a long time. And so it seems like this is on the precipice of being a breakout game this year as long as it does a few basic things right. And I think people are going to be especially people who are into this genre jan right. They're used to it coming in hot, not being complete, and so it's an early access game. I don't think that's going to deter them. Yeah, I don't think so either.
Speaker 2: The sims Can Unity is a scary and interesting community that yes has been has been slowly building and doing things on their own side of the Internet for quite a while now. I know Abby Russell educated a lot of us here on Giant Bomb as to the wonders of the SIMS, but it turns out it goes even deeper than that. But I do want to share that Bailey spoke to I think the producer of the director of Enzoy last year at games Come and he and he himself is a gigantic fan of the Sims and wanted to just make a game that his son could play easier or an easier playing experience.
Speaker 1: So I.
Speaker 2: Would have some hope for Enzoy coming out and being pretty good.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that even if it is like mediocre middling at first, I think the look of it, and maybe if they maybe making some promises and being like we are in early access for the specific reason of you tell us what you are reviving with the most and what you need the most, and we will work on that. If that's the plan, then I think this game continues to stand a really strong chance of popping off and being like the other game in this genre, like nothing is actually going to replace the Sims. The SIMS is like the Pokemon equivalent in this space, where it no matter what else anyone else produces, even if it's going to be like this is going to be the new pal World, it's not going to displace Pokemon, and this is not going to displace the Sims, but it could very easily be like, man, this is a game that made a ton of money, found out a huge audience, just quietly over there, humming along with you know, ten million players or something like that.
Speaker 3: Easily that could happen forty dollars price tag.
Speaker 1: I mean that to me sounds like they're going to do the business model of the SIMS as well, instead of making it like free to play, making all the cosmetics paid for. I think that might also.
Speaker 3: Be welcomed by this community as well.
Speaker 1: It's so used to that, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, having like a that forty dollars entry ticket be pretty low and then everything else on top of that just a little bit more. I think that is an easier pill to swallow. That being said, I'm still terrified of the SIMS community. I don't know their spending habits.
Speaker 1: I do have.
Speaker 2: A couple of friends that have gone very into the SIMS, and then they wind up knowing more about modding than I thought they would.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly. It's the kind of thing that gets people like this. One of the things were like, Hey, I know, I need a PC so I can play the real version of the SIMS with all these nods and do whatever everyonet. And yeah, I'm gonna buy all the packs as well, because some of the mods require those packs. But I'm gonna make this game my own because I mean the sims. That is what the sims is, right, Like, you find your own ways to have fun. If that means you're killing your friend Janetcho and Dan Reikert on the website, and that's what that means.
Speaker 2: It happens, you know, I avoid the fugu if possible.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's see here a couple more headlines. These were the most popular characters in the Sonic Racing Crossworld's Network test. Jan They tested this and they reported back with which the characters people wanted to play as the most. The top two are not too surprising, do you know what they are?
Speaker 2: I spoiled myself and I saw the news story, so okay, it is Sonic and Shadow.
Speaker 1: Sonic and Shadow.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The number three is Cream and I guess it's Cream and cheese. And she's just like one of the chows or whatever they're called, who hangs out with Cream. But they're like a pair that work together on a cart or something like that.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: That's not her whole name. That's not her whole name, grub.
Speaker 3: Oh, what is her whole name?
Speaker 1: Cream the rabbit, Cream the rabbit. Okay, you know, Cream and cheese. And then Cream the Rabbit, and cheese. I like to just to like go with the shorter name to make it sound better, but okay, Cream the Rabbit, which just sounds like a weird statement. I am still excited about this game because I like those some of these Sonic cart racers I've been actually did go back and play some of Racing Transformed after this got announced and be like, Oh, everyone's right, this is a very fun game. Looking forward to this, But I'm hoping they can like branch off in the way that they once did with Transform and have more of these characters other than just the Sonic freaks. Although people seem to be happy with their cream ands and cheesons.
Speaker 2: People love cream and cheese, cream cheese grub, that's fair enough. I think the boomers watching and listening this aren't ready to accept that no one likes or no one even cares about Big the Cat anymore. Yeah, where's Big the Cat exactly? We're all about Cream the Rabbit.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Everyone that grew up and played Sonic Advanced three and they introduced Cream, They're like, oh, that's a fun character to play as I've just gotta run.
Speaker 3: That's what this is. Bring back Big the cat. That's for real, men.
Speaker 2: I will not stand for this cream the rabbit slander.
Speaker 1: Cream the rabbit seems fine, but I guess I'm surprised.
Speaker 3: Number three.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh, what about Sonic's girlfriend Amy or something like that, or Tails? Who cares a cream the rabbit? All right, fair enough, if all you degenerated your cream and cheese out there, you get your cream and cheese. A last story here, this is weird from Twitter the at Game Informer page. I hope this is not just that CEO being an asshole, but there's a little video here that seems to be teasing something happening with Game Informer, and I got to say, I am personally getting my hopes way up because that could be really cool. Although it's okay, so it says March twenty fifth, twenty twenty five, so something will be happening by then. I just hope it's not like that zombie version of EGM or something like that, where they brought it back and it's like, oh, this is not the same thing. And even when they brought people like cool people like Patrick kleppikin, you could tell he's like, wait, this is not what I thought I was signing up for it just was a shell of its former self. I mean, who knows what what this actually means. But as I get my hopes up, I hope, man, I just hope something awesome is happening with Game of Form and Former again, because we are poorer for not having Game Informer. I mean every month, and I you know, they opened up subscriptions there at the end, and I subscribed, and it was so awesome to get those magazines in the mail again. And I'm like, I'm hoping that that could just continue. That would be ideal. So we'll see. I guess we're gonna get the answers here early next week, and maybe they'll steal the spotlight from switch to But yeah, I don't know what what's your speculation.
Speaker 2: It looks like I've been seeing the skeets on Blue Sky and former staff members are posting it.
Speaker 3: Confirmed it all right, Well that's happening. They're coming back everybody. Oh well, okay.
Speaker 1: Lots of former GI people are signal boosting it on Blue Sky, and it does seem like they are a lot of those people that seem to work there are pointing to this and be like this is a good thing. So we'll see exactly what that looks like for them. I'm very excited. But yeah, okay, I but here in rumblings that some people that used to work at Game Former are having happy things happen to them. So good, good, Again, the industry's gonna be better off with Game and Former back. That would be fantastic. Okay, yeah, I was, I was not. I was lying to the audience. I'm sorry. What I know. I'm a bad person. I'm a bad person.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, we'll get all the details.
Speaker 1: For that on market.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, hold on, though, Vitelli had posted about this on Blue Sky and this is actually the most amazing thing for me personally. But if Game Informer comes back, does that mean we get a Game in Former twenty twenty five video game release calendar? Because I hope, So theirs is the best?
Speaker 3: Or was it was the best? Now?
Speaker 1: I think that was like tied into the game stop API, so maybe not so maybe not. Yeah, I'm not exactly sure if that's how that worked, but I think I remember hearing something like that was the case. All Right, we got to pull a question from Monday. Will you be excited if Naughty Dog's next game, Intergalactic is more like elden ring Yes or no, Let me.
Speaker 3: Refresh that, make sure that it's fully up to date. Here, yes, okay, there we go.
Speaker 1: Thirty nine percent said yes, sixty one percent said no. I think that's you know, that's about right. There's just so much trepidation around making a change like that or or chasing a trend, right, Like, you don't want your favorite developer to be like, well, we're gonna chase the trend. Although I don't think that's how Naughty Dog would approach it. I personally am excited by this prospect because I think they will take the best parts of it and make it work with the best parts of what they do to make a very good video game. And I think Intergalactic looks interesting. Yeah, I'm a.
Speaker 2: Little bit on the fence grub. I, uh, what if a game? What if games were.
Speaker 1: Just the easy? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what if having a deal with souls and running back back to my graveyard?
Speaker 1: I could just play you the game? Yeah, I wonder if they They They definitely have talked previous with how they like the openness and the exploration and making the adventure feel more like your own. And I wonder if they're able to do that while maybe not going full from soft difficulty. Yeah, they probably would want to because they you know, they make broadly appealing games. But like The Last of Us Part two is a game that you always hear like, hey, but I played no other game, but I played this one, and I wish there were more games like this.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, sorry, there's just not and now there won't be either because they are galactic.
Speaker 1: Sounds like it might be a little different as well, So sorry to those people.
Speaker 3: Okay, new pool question.
Speaker 1: Have that in a second before we get to all of that, jan Atchoa. What else do we have going on? What do you have going on? What should we tell the people all about?
Speaker 2: After this? On the Power Block, we're going to be checking out thirty three immortals come join us. Maybe we can all play in the same world's out now in game pass. I believe that's how, at least how I have it.
Speaker 1: I downloaded using the Xbox game Pass thing on PC and it worked just fine.
Speaker 2: There you go, folks. Later today though, ending the Power Block, we have the last round of the Blightening Round. Dan Reikert's turn, and he ready to phone home. Everyone is going to be playing et on the Atari twenty six hundred folks, tune in for some wonderful times tomorrow on the Power Block more game breaking news the Game Spots Show. We may have some stuff from GDC airing tomorrow as well as well as Voicemail Dump Truck Friday. Ending the week with more game breaking news. We have Mike Drucker on BCR this week, as well as UPF and more Game Spot after Dark, but also Grub before this. Folks may be wondering why game breaking news is pushed back by another hour than they're used to. The Stalker two documentary that the Game Spot team has been diligently working on for the past couple months is now out. If you miss that the premiere of that earlier today, I suggest you go check it out Labor of Love. And also, hey, turns out world events affect everything.
Speaker 1: Huh yeah, they seem to affect everything. Yeah yeah, especially if it's those world events are localized entirely in your country. Yeah. Turns out. So yeah, that was good work. They just those the guys over there crushed it on that documentary, so shout out to them. Really excellent work, all right, let's see new poll question, what do you want to play as in Sonic Racing Cross Worlds or who do you want to play as Sonic Shadow Cream or Danica Patrick? Those your options, Go ahead and vote. We get the results for tomorrow's show here on Giant Bomb, a new episode of game breaking News, and tomorrow we'll have a bunch of fun stuff popping off as well. Until then, though, Jianna Showa, thank you so much for hanging out with me today and talking about video games. I really appreciate it. It's the only way to start a Thursday. It's actually Wednesday. Don't worry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, those don't matter anymore.
Speaker 1: It's all just one big day and see y all soon for thirty three Immortals and Blake Club later today.
Speaker 3: Thank you all for listening and watching to this show.
Speaker 1: Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself, and goodbye.