Speaker 1: The twenty twenty six college football season is fastly approaching, and we're talking all things Raging Caguns. Let's get into it here on Raging Rundown. What's good, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome into another episode of Raging Rundown. All Cajuns all the time. I'm your guy, JaMarcus Fitzpatrick, but you know you can always call me fits. It's been a couple of days since I've dropped an episode, but we are back in action, and it's because football season is upon us.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: The Raging Cagens reported for fall camp here on Tuesday, August the fourth. They will hit the practice field for the first time officially on Wednesday, August the fifth. We had a chance to talk with a lot of the players and coaches in their media availability that they had today. You can check a lot of those interviews out. I'll be dropping periodically throughout on social media for my day job at KTC, and I also have some episodes here that you can be able to listen in to of what we'll talk about here on the show. So we're going to go through what we can expect out of this team. What are the expectations will break down the roster. We'll go through different positions, starting on offense first, and then we'll talk about positions that will be main ones to look out for in terms of battles and what we can hope to see out of these guys in twenty twenty six. But before we move on to twenty twenty six, we have to turn the final page of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: The year that was.
Speaker 1: Louisiana finish that year six and seven, but at one point they were two and six on the year. They were incredibly decimated by injury, and then they proceeded to rattle off four straight victories one score games at that I might add, including an overtime victory against their arrival Ulm at home in order to clinch Bowl eligibility. They then went to the sixty eight Ventures Bowl, where they had guys opt out in different positions and were again decimated, especially along the offensive line, and they scrapped their team together and unfortunately lost their game to Delaware, finishing the season six and seven for a third out of the last four seasons that we've seen here. It's year five for head coach Michael Desermo to lead his Alma mater and there are a lot of pieces that he has coming back, and there are a lot of experienced players along the way that if this group can stay healthy, the sky is truly the limit for this team. And that's not just saying that because of what they have on paper, but of how productive the group of guys that they have returning have been for them in their tenure as a raging So, like I said, we'll go through positions and talk about the roster as a whole. We'll start off with the position that everyone talks about the most, that everyone.
Speaker 2: Knows about the most.
Speaker 1: That is the main position in all of football, and that's the quarterback position. For the first time since Levi Lewis started in twenty twenty one, which was the first season that I got here working as a media member in Lafayette, for the first time, we know who the starting quarterback will be going into this upcoming season. There will not be a quarterback competition because Winfield has proven that he is ahead of the pack. Last season, he had twenty two hundred all purpose yards twenty total touchdowns, and that all came as he stepped in midway through the season. You remember in the Marshall game. Lunch Winfield would be inserted into the game when the Cajuns were down after collapsing there in the early parts of the second half of that game against Marshall, and it was almost like a go out there and see what can happen type of moment. Lunch gets in, he rallies the troops, they come all the way back, and then he eventually leads them to a double overtime victory and the rest was history. He never gave the job back. With him at the Helm, it creates so much of a dynamic, a different dynamic to your offense because of his ability to not just throw the football, but how special he can be in the run game, so much to so that he was your third leading rusher last season with one hundred and fifty two carries, six hundred and sixty seven yards and a team leading nine touchdowns. So he knew how to go and find the end zone. When I spoke to Lunch, you know, I asked him about how much different it felt from last season. When I talked to him, he was the third string quarterback and now this season he's the guy.
Speaker 2: And you know, he said, it's a great feeling when you have the.
Speaker 1: Community rallying around you, you have your teammates, your coach is letting you know that you're the guy and we're going to one hundred percent back you. And I also talked to him about staying healthy. Right there on the back half of the season, he was dealing with a high ankle spring he got that cleaned up in the offseason to make sure that he can be healthy coming here into twenty twenty six. And he said, you know, even if it takes sliding, he's going to make sure that he can be as available as possible for his teammates because the best ability is availability, and when Lunch Winfield is available, he can be as a as dynamic of a player as not just the Cajuns have seen, but what the Sun Belt could potentially see as well. In behind him there is Daniel Bill, sam Altman, and Coleman Carter. Coach Desermo told us that the way the quarterback breakdown look obviously Lunch getting right now one percent of the first team reps and then he'll probably dial it back to ninety to make sure that guys behind them can get some reps in as well. He said that from there it'll be Daniel Bill and Coleman Carter get into two reps, and then Sam Altman and Alex Munos, the son of tight ends coach George Munos and former Turlin's Catholic quarterback coming in to also give you a little bit of a mix there as well as your threes position. So that's how that will look. But as I said, if Lunch is able to stay upright, the sky is the limit for this offense because of how dynamic of a player he truly is.
Speaker 2: Then you look at the running back position.
Speaker 1: Right in that room, you have Stephen Blanco, Darrell Smith, JJ Gardner, Key Ryan Smith, Anthony Reagan Junior, and A'marion Brown. All of those guys last season had little to no impact in a lot of your run game. Now, Stephen Blanco did have thirty carries for one hundred and fifty six yards and two touchdowns, but it was in very small amounts of action. Darrell Smith had just three carries and seven yards for you, and after that, Marion Brown was not on your roster last season. He was on the Arkansas State roster where he followed over his position coach Marcus Lovings, who's now your running backs coach Anthony Reagan was at Howard so now and then Key Ryan Smith was in high school. Last year was Bill Davison, Ziland Perry. They've moved on from the program where you're two leading rushers ahead of lunch Winfield. It is going to be imperative that these guys can go out and prove to the world why they can be a special group because this is a run first offense. It always has been and it always will be under this coaching staff because that's what they believe is their strength, and it has been because they are not passing the ball first and then getting the run game. They are running the football to set up everything else that they do along the way. So it's going to be interesting to see. We're going to come back to that to talk about that being a key position battle in behind or in front of them.
Speaker 2: Will be a very, very.
Speaker 1: Very experienced offensive line. If you'll remember, George Jackson got hurt last season. I believe it was in the Eastern Michigan game. He has had a list ering injury. I'm going to do a future story on that at KTC. You can check that out whenever I finally drop it. He was able to get his medical richert and come back for another season. He's going to be backed as an experienced offensive tackle. See Alexander Is back as an experienced offensive tackle, Cayden Morrow an offensive guard, Matt Bruceard Cooper Fordham at the center position. Jacobe Aisam there at the guard position as well. So you have a ton of experienced guys that you have in the mix. And when Coach Dez talked to the podium, he said that you know, the number is around eight or nine guys that he would like to see that can be able to help you to win games on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Of course you want to see even.
Speaker 1: More because the more the merrier, the more literally because we saw last season of how much injury can come into effect and how quickly guys can go from being a three to two and then from a to a starter. After a lot of those guys that I mentioned, you have the two lane transferend Jason Mitchell, who had a lot of good reps for you in the spring. With George Jackson being out of the lineup, Mari and Gooch is also back as well, I believe was out in spring as well. So you have a lot of depth along the way that can help create some creases for this run game and can help to keep lunch winfield upright, they are going to be as imperative as ever before. Offensive coordinator Tim Leja alluded to that, saying that if we went in the trenches, we win everything, and I you know, as a former offensive lineman myself, I can it cannot It goes without saying how important that truly is, especially for this type of offense. An extension of that offensive line will be the tight end position. As we know you have guys like Kayden Jensen and Brock Chapel that will be coming back in behind them, which we'll talk about that in a second. In behind them are a lot of young guys that have very minimal experience. But you're gonna need to have another tight end in there because sometimes they do like to go three tight end sets, which is thirteen personnel. But coach lej mentioned that if they are not able to find that third guy, you might see a little bit more of just one tight end sets or maybe even two tight in sets to make sure that they can fill the needs of what their personnel is able to do and they're not forcing a guy in there that might not potentially be ready. The last position that we'll talk about offensively, and we'll dabble back into this one as well, is the wide receiver position. Shelton Samson is your leading receiver. He led the team in receptions last season with thirty two. He had five hundred and thirty seven yards and a team leading six touchdowns. He was an explosive playmaker for you all the way across the board. Him and Lunch Winfield had a incredible connection, especially as they emerge further and further down the season. He is going to be getting a lot of attention from defenses and rightfully so. So there are other guys around him that are going to have the opportunity to shine. The land and Struggs, the Roggi Denniss, the Cadarius Waves, the Trenton Chenese, the Russell Babino's and on and on and on of the other guys that will have opportunities to go out and make plays. And like I said, we'll talk about that a little bit later. Of this being in a main position to look at as well. Defensively, there are a lot of things that we have to discuss from the defensive line to guys like Brent Gordon Junior at the cornerback position, and the list goes on, and we're going to get more into that when we come back here on Rage and Rundown. Hey, guys, thank you so much for tuning in to another episode of Raging Rundown. We're going to get back into the action in just a second, but before we do, please do me a favor. If you are watching this episode on YouTube, please like it, share it, and leave a comment down below, but most importantly, make sure you subscribe to the channel. If you're listening, please follow the podcast feed, rate the show, and leave us a review, because that's gonna help us get in front of more Raging Cajun fans just like yourself. We've talked about the offense. Now let's switch over to the defensive side of the ball, a unit that overall in twenty twenty five was right there in the middle of the pack. Statistically, they gave up about twenty nine and a half or twenty nine point two points per game, and there was a lot of close games, especially there on the back half of the season, that they had to be a part of, but they were able to have big moments and stand up, have goal line stands and get big stops and force turnovers and key moments. But it just wasn't as much as what they would like. So we'll start on the front end this time around. We'll start on the defensive line. Fitzgerald West is gonna anchor you down up front on the defensive line.
Speaker 2: We know that.
Speaker 1: Originally he entered his name into the transfer but then eventually decided to pull his name out and return back for his final season of collegiate football. He's going to be a huge anchor point for you. You know, he didn't have a ton of production in terms of statistically, but just from a veteran standpoint, having a guy that knows the scheme, that understands college football, that's seen a lot how Southern miss blocks and how James Madison blocks, and how Arkansas State blocks, and Troy and other teams in the Sunbelt West, He's going to be able to pour that wisdom into other defensive linemen around him. Right along with him. Another senior is Maxie Bodwin that's coming back. Another local product that gets another opportunity to go out and play for his hometown team. Yet another guy that's been in the program that's had snap experience and will get the opportunity to once again anchor that defensive line. You've got guys like Prestas, Lance Williams that could be your edge positions. You have Chase Edwards that's been you know, thrown into the mix beginning in last season as a you know, defensive tackle type of skill skilled player for you. Then you have you know, transfers coming in Rogers Stewart being a defensive tackle that integrated himself into the rotation. And as we know, defensive line coach Dennis Thomas is not afraid to play guys if they know what they're doing when they're going out there, and they can effectively help to stop the run and can rush the passer and not just necessarily always get sacked, but can affect the quarterback the timing, be disruptive, get him to hurry up, and all of those things like that and plus get sacks. He's going to play them, no doubt. That jack position, you know, we'll look at that as as kind of an extension of the defensive line, even though they are considered an outside linebacker. Ashley Williams when outside linebackers coach Mike Giuliani talked about him. He said he was kind of like a bull in a china shop. That he was also one of the highest graded players that they had on the defense whenever it turned in terms of alignment and assignment. So he knows what he's doing because he's been in the program for a while now. It's about, as Coach Giuliani said, him stepping up and taking one play at a time and being able to be that elite pass rusher that they need to fill the shoes of Cam Whitfield, who has now moved on from the program. In behind him, you know, you have guys like a Notry Brown that has a great skill set as well that didn't necessarily play as much last year because he was injured, But from what Coach Giuliani has mentioned, he has a lot of ability that can help you a ton there.
Speaker 2: And then in the linebacker room, the inside linebacker.
Speaker 1: Room, this is a place where you know last season Jayden Dugger and Terrence Williams were first time started for you at that position. Jaden Dugger obviously had been playing you know, the outside linebacker jack position. He moves inside. He has a breakout season and is now playing for the forty nine ers, rightfuless. So now you're having this inside linebacker group where you have a longtime guy like a Caleb Edwards, a longtime guy like Jake Saint Andre that are now asked to step up and not fill the shoes, but to continue the legacy of great inside linebackers that have been in the program, the kco size, you know, the Lorenzo mccaskals, the Jordan Quibbodos. The list goes on of the type of great linebackers that we've seen come through this program. Now these guys are asked to do much of the same. Caleb Edwards, Michael Johnson, Jake Saint Andre, Connor mcphilson was mentioned as a guy that has a vocal presence. Hayten Darbon, a former Units product, was mentioned as well as somebody that will give you an opportunity to do something special. Then you talk about on the back end at the safety position. Colin Jacob, a kid once again that I remember when he was a senior in high school at Laureville and now he is about to be entering his final season in college. He you know, broke his forearm there in the middle of the season, and had surgery and now he is going to be back this year. He's another year wiser. He really came on strong for you, not just in the coverage but also affecting the passer, like being able to blitz and go back there and get sacks, coming up with big plays in different games.
Speaker 2: You think about him.
Speaker 1: And then on the other side is also Cody Jackson, a Shreeport guy, so shout outs to him for that. But he stepped up a big time after you know, being in behind a Jaalen Clark and a Tyree Skipper and having to unders continue to understand the defense and now entering his I believe it is his richer junior he's coming into now. It's hey, you're the guys that are leading the pack now, So him and Colin are going to be important there. On the back end behind them, Lake Baits and Steve and Raynell are guys that were forced to have to start because of everything that happened, you know, with the fallout from the Texas State game and injuries and all of those things like that, those guys had to start later in the year maybe when they weren't necessarily truly ready, and now that they have some of that game experience under their belt. Now that they have that, it's now going to be about Okay. Now you go from being a ten to fifteen snap guy to now maybe a twenty five to thirty snap guy, and then you can eventually integrate yourself to being a starter. You have other positional players like a Luke Green that could be there on the back end as a true freshman that could help you some depending on how the rotation all falls. Then the cornerback room, which we'll talk about them as a position for battle that we could see. Brent Gordon Jr. Is going to lead the pack as a true sophomore. He got the starting job in the Missouri game and he never returned the keys and he's been driving that car ever since. He is going to be the guy that is probably gonna line up against the number one receiver for whoever he's playing against. That he is going to say, as he told me, that I like me in these situations, that I like playing man and man coverage that you know, obviously they're gonna do both, but when he feels like it's a one on one situation, he's gonna pick himself, which that's the type of confidence that you want here, not just from a number one cornerback, but from a cornerback in general, and that is gonna have to be something truly infectious. That's gonna have to go along the way across the board for the defensive back round. And behind him, you think about guys like Avery Dimrie who had came up with big plays in the spring, Jeremiah Moses, Curly Reid was somebody that's been name dropped several times as well, and also Kevin Malone, who's somebody that's really young, but coach Dez says believe he believes that can come on really big for them this season. So that's how things are shaping up. From the offense and defensive defensive. In the kicking game, Tony Sterner and Logan Klotz are both backs, so that gives you a solid position in someone that is coming back, and uh, then you are you also have Brick Schultz, com Breck Schultz, excuse me, coming in, Mason Golden as a true freshman coming in as a as a punter for you as well.
Speaker 2: And then in the return.
Speaker 1: Game, Jacory and Norris is gonna be your guy as the kick returner.
Speaker 2: Coach Dez said quote that it is his job to lose.
Speaker 1: After that ULM game, when he returned the opening kickoff, I said, that's that's your guy going forward until he didn't want to do it anymore and he can't do it anymore. In the punt return game, Coach Dez alluded to Brent Gordon being the name that can potentially be brought up, and then I would later follow up with Coach Giuliani as I'm trying to go and pull up my past tweet that I was putting pulling out, which if you're not following me on social media, you should because I'm always gonna be putting out information, especially when we're in pres conference with coaches and players. Coach Giuliani mentioned that at the punt returner job, guys like Brent Gordon, Landon Struther, Darrell Smith, Trenton Cheney, and Russell Babino will all have the opportunities to compete for that job, and then he will try to narrow it down to see who is going to be the guy that you need to be back there returning punts. Brent Gordon is very, very valuable, so it wouldn't be out of the norm that they don't make him the punt returner, not because he's not able to do the job, but because he is going to be so valuable to you on the defensive side. It wouldn't surprise me if we see someone like Trenton Cheney or Russell Babino get the opportunity to be that punt returner. But we know that we've seen cornerbacks return before. You know, Eric, Eric Gordon, if I'm not mistaken, I'm drawing a blank.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: There was a cornerback that they had a couple of years ago, and I am drawing a blank in my head, I'm saying, Eric going, and that's a basketball player. It's gonna come to me a little bit later. But it was a couple of years ago. They played for the Tennessee Titans, and it's slipping my mind right now, and I'm recording this episode, so I'm so sorry in the moment.
Speaker 2: But if I could get a chance, Eric Gear, that's it. There we go.
Speaker 1: Eric Gear was a cornerback that returned punts and kicks for the Cage and several years ago, so it's not out of the ordinary to see a cornerback do that. So in terms of positions that are gonna be important for position battles. One that we'll look at is another obvious one is the running back room. Because this offense is not a throw first offense, so they absolutely positively have to get these running backs that are young, ready to go out and play. And we saw how explosive they were in the spring game. We saw how much playmaking ability they had, not just in the run game, but also in the screen game, dumping into them out of the backfield. You know, Coach Dez mentioned how JJ Gardner is kind of a guy that they want to see continue to build up consistency. Stephen Blanco obviously has power to his game, which is why he was inserted in a lot of instances on short yardist situations on the goal line to be able to punch it in. And then Deryl Smith is kind of an all around guy. But you know, if none of those three are clicking at the moment, because it's going to be about production.
Speaker 2: You still got Anthony Reagan.
Speaker 1: They're behind him transferring to him from Howard and he was kind of a do it all type of back. You still have a Marion Brown, who coach Loving's helped recruit while he was at Arkansas State, so he knows what his ability is. So that room is solely going to be about who is producing. It's not going to be about who's a bell cow because they've never been. That type of offense is gonna be about who has the hot hand when it comes to running the football, and whether it's one guy, two guys, three or four guys. They're gonna have to figure out a way to make sure that if you have sixty plays in a game, you may see thirty five and twenty five, you may see forty and twenty forty of them may be coming from the run game. They're gonna have to make the most of those forty carries and how they can distribute that between two, three, maybe even four backs a piece. Another is the receiver position in behind Sheldon Sampson. We've talked about this before that he is going to garner a lot of attention, but you're gonna need guys to step up.
Speaker 2: You're gonna need the carious Weds, the Jayden.
Speaker 1: Johnson's to step up in the moments when they have the opportunities that if the defense is saying we're gonna double team him over here, somebody's gonna be open on this other side. And if it's a third and Shelton's the first option in lunch sees him and he's covered and you're open, you're gonna have to go and make that play. Coach lej mentioned that he was truly excited about having a true slot receiver as well, a Russell Babino, a Trenton Cheney type of guy that you can toss it to him behind the line and they can go make it happen. That you can throw them a tuble, tunnel screen, a bubble screen and they can go and make it happen. Excuse me, that's going to be truly an exciting thing to see because they did it a lot in the spring game. Tunnel screens, bubble screens, getting them the ball out in space, motioning them across, giving them jet sweep, and just letting them go and do their work. Russell Babino is somebody that I saw personally do that a lot while he was at a Kadie in a high lendin Strull is another guy also that has been a consistent force for you in a name that's popped up a lot as a consistent guy for you out of that receiver room another one on the offense, and then we'll switch back over to defense. Is the tight end position, It's not who's gonna be your starter? Who's going to be the guys behind Rock Chapel and Kayden Jensen? Kyten Jensen is your conventional tight end, big body tight end, Rock Chapel very similar after that, Who's going to be the guy? Is it gonna be Caandre Cots, Is it gonna be Christian macintrust, Is it Teddy Garlic? You know who is it gonna be that's gonna be able to say, Hey, if you need to go thirteen personnel and we're gonna load up with all the tight ends on this side, I can do it, and we can run out sides onto this side. If it's a play action fake and it's a tight end slipping out in the flat, who's gonna be that other receiver that says, while Caden's running this route and Rock's running this route, that I can slip out here in the flat and can be the option that you can dump to it.
Speaker 2: I can get up the field and.
Speaker 1: Get four or five yards and move the chains, or I can get seven eight yards or I can even rumble down the sidelines and go twenty plus and go and give you big explosive plays. Who's gonna be the guy that's gonna do that. That is going to be important that Coach Munoz continues to develop those guys and that can emerge, because if not, then again, like Coach Laja said, you might not see as much twelve and thirteen personnel. You may see just eleven with just one tight end out there, and you might rotate between those two guys of Rock Chapel and Kayden Jensen. On the defensive side, the cornerback position is going to be important because if they can build up a lot of guys that can get out there and be active. I also forgot to mention the star position, Marian Elliot when I was talking about a position. Maryon Ilium is going to be back there as your star. Brent Gordon was cross trained a little bit and had the ability to line up at Star during the spring. But overall the cornerback room, they're gonna have to be guys that other than just print can go and be playmakers for you, that are gonna be able to play lockdown coverage that cannot have their eyes in the backfield when they're supposed to be having the deep thirds or you know, making sure that they're having their right assignments that can make open field tackles. So those guys, the Avery Demeries, the Kevin Malone's, the Jeremiah moses Is, the Curly Reads, the you know, all of those guys that the coach des has been mentioning to us and that got reps during the spring. They're gonna have to go out and get it going to allow that to be a moment for them. The other positions that we've talked about, I feel like are truly solidified in a depth standpoint. Now it's about just going out, lacing them up and seeing what guys can do when the football is put in the ground and the ball is snapped. So, like I said, the first practice will be on August fifth, and we will be out there. We'll get a short window to watch because that's how it's always been. It's normally during an individual where we're able to get video guys and we can kind of utilize that for feature stories and things like that.
Speaker 2: But they do have two scrimmages.
Speaker 1: I do not have the calendar in front of me but if I'm not mistaken, I think the first one is next week. If I can pull up the calendar on my phone, I think that the first one is supposed to be on the fourteenth, and I think they have another one on the twentieth. They have two during fall camp. I will work to see if we're able to watch them in its entirety. If we're not able to get video for them, if we can at least watch them, I'll be able to go in make note of that, and you know we'll be talking about it right here on Rage and Rundown. That's gonna wrap up this episode of Raging Rundown. If you made it to this point in the episode, thank you so much for rocking with us up until this point. Please do me a favor. If you're watching it, please like this video, share it, and leave a comment down below. But most importantly, make sure you subscribe to the channel. If you're listening, please follow the podcast feed, rate the show, and leave us a review, because that's going to help us get in front of more Raging Cajun fans. Just like yourself, I'm your guy, your Marcus Fitzpatrick. We'll see you guys next time.