Speaker 1: It is five oh five here on a Thursday morning at Kentucky and his morning news on News Radio eight forty whas Snick Coffee. That is me Scott Fitzgeral alongside John Alden, also alongside John Shannon. We'll have your news coming up in about twenty five minutes here on this warm and dry right now Thursday morning. If you are one of the early risers, can I say I'm an early riser now, guys, I feel like I'm I mean, I've not done this as long as you guys, as far as the early rising, but I mean you are. We're certainly how many people get up early. I mean, sure there are some that get up earlier than we do. But if you're an early riser, consider yourself lucky if you've already major commute, because as far as I can tell, it's dry currently and that's a good thing. But the rain is going to be here. It sounds like right around the time a lot of folks are making their morning commute, So just be ready. We'll get you updated on all that. Your first update on traffic and weather will be in the next few minutes. But timing is not on the side of those that make a commute across the Kennedy Bridge, which I do feel for those folks because I did a little research. Believe it or not, I do prepare for this show, at least I try. I try my best. But when it comes to the Kennedy Bridge, if you have, if you've been taking the same route to work to school your daily commute, and I guess it really doesn't depend on what time of the day it is. Obviously there are peak times when traffic is much worse at certain times.
Speaker 2: Of the day.
Speaker 1: But if you are, let's say, for years now, your day includes trips across the Kennedy Bridge, don't you have like an alternate strategy? I mean, don't you have I mean again, you may not have a great alternate strategy as far as a different path you can take. But that bridge has been closed down quite a bit to where nobody looks forward to it. I'm sure it's an inconvenience for a lot. Obviously, necessary work needs to be done when it comes to repairs, construction, that kind of stuff. But I do feel for those who you know, this is probably not a good good time. It's not good timing. I mean, nobody wants rainy rainy weather, whenever you've got already lane closures on a very very busy, busy bridge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, Nick, And you've got to have a backup plan in place. In fact, there's a spot in sixty four now, if you're heading sixty four west or east. It's a tiny little spot, my boy, it throws your morning commute. It's right there by Norton Hospital where they're doing some work there, and it throws your commute off if you're used to taking that avenue. And we don't have to worry about it to your point. But I'm sure there are folks that already have it mapped out how they want to get around, how they want to go. My wife, for instance, it took her a while to get used to coming from downtown. She's not used to it being such a long commute. I'm like, well, if you're taking sixty four to some degree seventy one, it's going to take you a while. And she goes. My app took me around here, and I still sat in traffic.
Speaker 1: So as I think about alternate routes, that was probably a pretty stupid way because you got to cross a bridge. There's not a whole lot of those so stars routes right. I mean, you know you don't have many options. It's probably just I would say, just you now know after the first couple of days maybe of just seeing because it's the left lane and shoulder that's going to be closed, and as far as how long it's going to be closed, tough to know exactly. Full construction will begin mid July, but it was closed down meaning the left lane and shoulder yesterday as of yesterday, and then they're going to get started today. But I would say you give it a couple of days and then you probably just get a better idea of how much earlier you need to leave compared to when you do whenever there's not construction and lane closure going on.
Speaker 3: And you can commensate, and you learn to commensate and learn to get around a hindrance, no doubt. I'm noticing, like even here in downtown Louisville, when we come downtown and they're repairing a lot of the like our sewage infrastructure needs massive upgrades, and it's going on throughout the city, and I see it in different intersections. You're like frustrated, like, oh man, I hold up, Like it feels like they're working on a building over here for Street Live Kitty corner from the selback. They've been working on that building forever, but you still have to kind of navigate around that, and it botches people up. We're just lucky enough that we come in this early. Yes we are, Yeah, that that happens.
Speaker 1: And just my curiosity even that early, I mean, you're still probably I guess it just depends. I don't know. When you've never taken a specific route as far as a daily commute, you just don't know. But the amount of lane closure events on the on the Kennedy Bridge in the last six years since twenty nineteen, it happened. It was once in twenty nineteen, twice in twenty twenty one, also twice in twenty twenty two, one time in twenty twenty three, and then twenty twenty four it was closed down three different times. So this is this is something unfortunately, they're probably used to. I don't think you want to be used to it, but it's probably not something that's gonna throw you way off if you've been making this same this same journey I beat each and every day.
Speaker 3: I'd be curious to see how many people decide to just pay the toll and go the other.
Speaker 1: Route could be yeah, I mean yeah, I mean if if it shaved off a little bit of time or maybe a lot of time, I mean you would, Yeah, it could be. I'm not someone that does well just sitting exactly. If I've got to add a little bit of time, but I'm moving, I might I might take that route. That's just me yep, all right. It is five to ten here a Kentucky. It his morning News on news radio eight forty whas, your folks, your first update on trafficking weather coming up right now right here on eight forty whas. Good morning, Kentucky, Ina. It is five point fifteen here at Kentucky and his morning News on news radio eight forty whas. We'll have a conversation coming up here at five forty five. Rory O'Neal of NBC News is going to join us. We will talk about Trump's bill, the Big Beautiful Bill, of course, is what he's calling it. Also also chat with Rory a little bit about your money. Rent falling around the country, the average retirement fund at an all time high. Yet, of course, as a lot of you probably know, the cost of living that is only going up, So roy o'nil's going to join us. Coming up, coming up about five forty five, we'll talk some sports with Scott Fitzgerald, who will give us the first sports update in about ten minutes. The NBA Finals start tonight. I'm worried, guys, You're fine, not about my pacers. I mean, they may lose because they're the underdog for good reason. But I want to watch it. But I think I'm gonna have to concede.
Speaker 3: I thought about you last night, dude. I was watching the Stanley Cup finals and I went, so, you made it. Yeah, no, no, no, I went to I was.
Speaker 1: I was about to say you you wild son of a dude.
Speaker 3: I know it all too well, but I thought about you last night.
Speaker 4: There is a bit of a solution. You could take a couple of hour nap this afternoon, two or three hours if you're able to.
Speaker 3: I know you got kids to take.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's tough. Uh, here's what I have. I don't know if this is just me really trying to convince myself that that that I'm not going to eventually hit some big wall here as I've made a huge adjustment when it comes to sleep schedule, but if I if I just sit or maybe even lay, and I can't because I can't fall asleep. I mean, I guess I could, you know, eventually I probably would, but I just I just lay and hope to get a quick little power nap, catnap, whatever you want to call it. But even if I lay down, I don't and I don't feel like within an hour's time I've really gotten much actual sleep where I have, you know, fallen asleep. If I get up and realize, okay, I tried and you know, didn't work out, I still feel rested, right like, Mentally, I'm not sleep sleeping, but at least that's something.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what I've learned. And I talked to my wife about this all the time. She gets Sunday scaries, so Sunday night she doesn't sleep, and I told her, I said, listen to your body. If you have Sunday scaries, that's not a bad thing. Just listen to your body. If you're not tired and you can't sleep, don't try to sleep, because you're just gonna get more frustrated. That's true, you know. And so if you're feeling there's down there, yeah, exactly dude. I mean there's been times where I've stayed up and watched the game because I simply was not tired. The game was good, I went to bed. Was I tired the next day? Probably? But eventually my body's going to regulate me back into my cycle. I'll probably come home the following day, go to bed early, and then things will calibrate itself. That's at least what I've learned. Just don't fight if you think you need to.
Speaker 1: Get to sleep, yeah, and because then it just becomes I mean, for me, I would just become angry.
Speaker 3: That's what you do. That's exactly what you do.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 3: So if you are off tonight watching the Pacers and you feel yourself going, hey, I'm cool, I'm gonna watch this, do it.
Speaker 1: So it may just be one of those mornings where I just don't sleep. Yeah, and I just come I've done that. I joke, because I don't think I would.
Speaker 3: I would.
Speaker 1: I mean that would be a dangerous thing to do. I mean not literally, but obviously it wouldn't be wise. But when I have had to try to force myself to go to bed whenever I would do post game basketball shows, I mean, just watching the game alone, It's hard for me to fall asleep because if you're into the game, you know you're up, you're energized. And then when I just get to yelling for an hour and going back and forth with callers in regards to what happened in the game. In a perfect world, I would be able to just, you know, walk upstairs from our basement studio set up and just lay down and go to sleep. But it's never ever worked that way. I don't think.
Speaker 3: That's not to say you're not gonna be I'm not gonna tell any but you're not gonna be tired. If you do stay up, you will be. But ultimately, when that night comes around, you'll fall asleep and your body will regulate itself.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's gonna play itself out. Yeah, it's gonna play self out. That's so, that's for sure. All right Again, we'll talk some more sports coming up here shortly with Scott. Something else that I'm sure will come up throughout the morning here, as we did here yesterday in Louisville from Governor Andy Basheer as he announced the pre k for All initiative, which is to help boost Kentucky's public public education system and job growth, more access to those children in the state when it comes to pre K. But also, as you could expect, there's other things that came up in those conversations. He gave a little bit of an update on the deadly tornado that took place earlier, actually in mid May, that of course took nineteen people's lives. Although still very appreciative of the administration when it comes to the help and support that the state of Kentucky has received. Not surprising to hear that Vasher did express some concerns about the federal funding cuts and whatnot. And then, as you could expect, also he was asked about a potential presidential run. There's been a lot of speculation of that. We can certainly continue that conversation, not just this morning, but obviously that'll be something that's talked about quite a bit. But when I was listening to the interview that he did WKY yesterday or just I guess more so his media availability, I know many were probably there to get the microphone and camera in front of in front of his sheer. It did take me back to not a fun time that was the pandemic right during COVID, but just how he without really doing anything sensational, no big story, he kind of became like a very popular guy, not just around here but nationally and you know here he is five years later from that, and there's talks of him potentially running for president. So yeah, if I'd asked you three or four years ago, would you would you have thought he would he would be, you know, somebody that not only others would potentially want to run, but he may consider doing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to your point, he's got that that that likability with it no matter. I understand some of the right would disagree with that, but he's got that likability, that personality that's conversational. Yeah, that he brings to the table.
Speaker 1: No doubt. All Right, another update of traffic and weather coming up right now, and then we'll hit on sports on News Radio eight forty whas. Thank you, John at is five thirty five here Kentucky in this morning news Nick coffee with you, Scott Fitzgered alongside John Alden and of course John Shannon. The crew is here. We are fully assembled and ready to get this, to get this Thursday started. It's been something we've talked about throughout the week, and that is the super Regional Action returning to Jim Patterson Stadium, good timing the twenty year anniversary of Jim Patterson Stadium opening, and now they are gonna host Miami, just a couple of wins away from getting back to Omaha. And they sold out a ticket yesterday, which isn't uncommon for Louisville whenever they host these type of postseason events. But weather does not look to be on their side as far as that game one and the forecast. But we'll get more updates on weather, and who knows, maybe things can change from now until until that first pitch. But we've had some warm weather these last few days, Fellows, We've got I think near ninety it was one Tuesday and Wednesday. Yeah, And this is something that and this is this is one of many things actually that makes me realize that I'm I'm different than most. I'm in the minority. And that is the temperature that it needs to be outside and also in your home for you to crack on the AC and just say, all right, the summer's here. I've given up. I can see mother Nature. You've let me know that I need to turn the AC on because I think i'm I'm not as tough as others because to me, I've had the AC on for a long long time. And I'm gonna share some numbers with you guys. But before we get to it, is there a number that you need to see for you to say, okay, AC's going on? Do you and your significant other is there a Are you all on the same page or do you fight back and forth? Hey, we need the AC on. No we don't. Well, we'll tough it out. We don't need a hive, we don't need an expensive bill. Is there is there any set standard in the Fitzgerald House or the Alden House?
Speaker 3: It is I'm going through this right now. Ironic you bring this up my daughter's home out of the year, she's moving into her apartment. She wants it was set on sixty nine, and for some reason, my OCD kicks in and I need it on seventy because I'm so scared it's going to go out. But as I was telling you off the air yesterday, my daughter will come home, open the house up because it faces the south, because she likes the sun which heats up the house. Threw the air conditioner down to sixty nine and then throw on three blankets. I'm like, not get off, and it.
Speaker 1: Seems like it defeats the purpose of having the AC if you've got all those blankets on right boom.
Speaker 3: And then since I lost all the weight, I don't know. I used to dread summer, dude, when I was heavier, I used to hate it because it was just muggy. I didn't have air conditioning in my car. It was nasty. Now I can tolerate the hot weather more. But to your point, I think my wife likes to turn it on just for the circulation part. Now we do keep it on autocirque, so it rolls the air through the house.
Speaker 1: Am I am I incorrect in thinking that maybe if you were a bachelor, you might like never turn it on, because I feel like.
Speaker 2: No, I would.
Speaker 3: I would. It gets a little hot. It gets a little hot for me, and I still am not a fan of the heat. I'm just for talking with you.
Speaker 1: I'm not a big heat gy, what about you, John?
Speaker 4: As soon as I start sweating in bed at night as from the A that usually happens midway through a but when we have a couple of warm days, right, One thing my wife and I do, especially during the summer. During the day, we'll keep it on a higher temperature, like seventy or seventy two, and so at night we'll kind of reward ourselves. I guess that's what we want, what you want to call it, by lowering down to this might be a little much.
Speaker 3: Sixty eight, we do sixty eight at night.
Speaker 1: So okay, you make me not feel as alone because I'm with you. I mean, sixty eight degrees in our house as far as setting the thermostat is probably the average for us during the really, really really hot summer months. And I mean I thought that most were like that. And everybody's different, everybody's preferences are different, but this is one of those, this study survey whatever that I just have a hard time believing because most Americans, it says, they turn their ac in their home on when the indoor temperatures reach between seventy five and seventy eight. That could be what is the is the tipping point right where you've just decided, Okay, enough's enough, it's this hot. But the thought of your house being between seventy five in seventy eight consistently, I mean that's not I mean, that's not burning up but I mean, I don't I don't think i'd be comfortable.
Speaker 3: It's toasty. Yeah, it's toasty, And I don't really get to the point. As you mentioned, I know a lot of people that do that, go I'm going to fight it out. It comes down to basically, how do I feel.
Speaker 1: Some people really just like challenging themselves right They're seeing how long they can go. I mean, I have I have a friend who he's just wired different. He will he will really see how long he can he can go without, you know, running out of gas, Like he'll he'll ride put the gas light on, and sure enough, when you do that, you know you'll you'll win enough to where you feel like, yeah, have phone, I made it here. And then you'll have times where you run out of gas and you know, dude, I think having that happened once would make me never try to fight it again.
Speaker 3: I get down, I get down to a quarter of a tank, dude, and I'm filling out here because that's I'm waiting turning.
Speaker 1: Rory O'Neil's gonna join us, coming up here in just a few minutes, and we'll have another update on traffic and weather coming your way right here. On Who's Radio eight forty whas it's about forty five here Kentucky and it's Morning News and we are now joined here by Rory Oneild NBC News. Rory, give us the latest on the Trump Big beautiful bill. Obviously a big talking point here lately, and a lot of thoughts out there from a lot of folks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there certainly are. And look right now, the bill is in the Senate and there are lots of dividing lines. Look for issues over salt. That's the state and local tax deduction. The House got that deduction up to forty thousand dollars from the current ten thousand dollars, but the Senate may bulk at this. Keep in mind there's not a lot of support for it. So salt lets people in high tax states like New Jersey, New York, Illinois, California, they can deduct what they spend on state and local taxes from their federal taxes. It's down ten thousand dollars. They're trying to up it to forty thousand dollars, but that deal costs about three hundred and fifty billion dollars. And senators from places like Texas and Oak Home to say why are we supporting bad tax policies from California and New York?
Speaker 2: You know, why are we paying for that?
Speaker 5: And then among Republicans in the Senate, there's very little support because there are no Republicans from California, from New York, from Illinois to support this. So there really isn't a big advocate in the Senate to keep Salt in there. So that's going to be interesting to watch because if it gets back to the House and there are changes made, we couldn't see a bit of a revolt from the Salt caucus over there.
Speaker 1: Elon Musk has publicly called the bill a disgusting abomination and urged lawmakers to quote kill the bill. What's been the reaction from this high profile criticism from Elon Musk? He's been pretty outspoken on it, and I don't know if this is going to have any influence on the Senates deliberations, but just I don't know this, This to me seems as outspoken as you can get on.
Speaker 5: It, right, Yeah, don't hold back, Elon, tell me how you're really exactly. Language is tough, but look, it's also giving a lot of cover to some Republicans who don't like some of the provisions, the fact that it puts the country deeper into debt, on a track to fifty fifty trillion dollars in total debt, and some of the Medicaid cuts are also not liked by senators like Josh Hawley, who have called it political suicide.
Speaker 2: So it could give a lot of cover for Republicans.
Speaker 5: To actually say, you know what, I don't like this thing either, Let's keep reworking it. The problem is whatever changes they make in the Senate then have to go back to the House and the big beautiful bill has to be voted on there, and it only got out of the House on one vote. So it's really going to be very difficult for Republicans to try to find something to appease everyone.
Speaker 1: Roy and Neale, NBC News is our guest. You're on news radio eight forty whas let's talk a little money rent falling around the country. Average retirement fund it's at an all time high. However, cost of living keeps going up. I'm sure a lot of our listeners this morning are well aware of that. What can you tell us about any potential improvement in that regard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just an interesting data point that the median US asking rent fell one percent of the month of May now down to sixteen hundred and thirty three dollars. That's about seventy two bucks below where it was at the record high in August of twenty twenty two, So it's it's trending downward, which is just an interesting data point here. We are seeing more Americans trying to squirrel away money. The average floro one case savings plan now has fourteen point three percent contributions on average, so people are Americans are putting away fourteen point three percent of their income into those four oh one cas. That's a really interesting trend because Americans aren't notoriously not savers, right. We like to spend, spend, spend, And there's a new report that shows you need to make about two hundred thousand dollars in this country for your family of four to.
Speaker 2: Be quote unquote comfortable.
Speaker 5: That would be fifty percent to cover your needs, thirty percent for your wants, twenty percent for debt and savings. Well, only seven states, say, only in seven states do you need to earn less than two hundred thousand dollars to feel that way. Louisiana, South Dakota, Mississippi the cheapest of them all one hundred and eighty six grand a year to feel comfortable.
Speaker 1: Wow, when it comes to the high cost of living and it continuing to go up, what are there certain things that maybe we've seen Americans decide to sacrifice and no longer use their their their income quite as much on certain things, just to just to kind of, you know, be prepared for this.
Speaker 2: Well, we haven't seen them give up on travel. We know that.
Speaker 5: Well, this may be the first summer we start to see perhaps a decline in domestic travel, but international travel still remains strong. You know, the consumer is keeping this economy afloat. You know, we have seen a shift perhaps away from as many material goods to experiences that you know, people would rather spend money on travel now than buy a new couch or a big screen TV. So maybe that trend is changing a little bit. But yeah, according to the numbers, we keep on spending. It was down a little bit last month, but still we are spending. We spend, spend, spend.
Speaker 1: YEP, I'm not totally shocked to hear that. Rory is always thanks for your time this morning. Thanks Nick, That's Rory O'Neal, NBC News. We've got another update of traffic and weather coming your way. Also another update of sports with Scott Fitzgerald, So hang out with us.
Speaker 3: It's five point
Speaker 1: Fifty here at News Radio eight forty whas