Speaker 1: Never in doubt more certain than Rachel Reeves fail in a mass exam. He's kind of done it, isn't he? Women in the second round for you, mister Marcus Willis?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, got it done? Yeah lovely?
Speaker 1: Where are you speaking to us from right now?
Speaker 2: From my where I'm staying, my host family.
Speaker 1: And how are you feeling? Like physically?
Speaker 2: You just do that was tough.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of running for a doubles match, like a lot of drop shots as you can imagine, lobs and quite heavy conditions out there against two guys that don't hold back. So yeah, legs are a little thor but I've got you got to play next match tomorrow first on, So trying to get some recovery and hopefully.
Speaker 1: Was it Is there a point? Is it like can you tell you in the warm up if a player's big with like the way that ball moves, the speed of it or anything like that, or is it within the first few points?
Speaker 3: Well, and I knew roughly what to expect. Yeah, I'm within the first few points. First, first four games. You've got an idea of who's doing what. Yeah, so I hit with Chibbali and his four hammers, moving a lot, and he got super close to than that when he was sitting Bolli, so I was like, okay, that's going to be a stunt. And then with serving, you try and get I mean we had a minute and a half left by the time I hit my first serve, so it's like he's just trying to get as many done as you can. So you don't really watch the opponents too much.
Speaker 1: And I mean, for people who didn't see it, give us a little tailor. How did the first set go? How did the match start?
Speaker 2: Good? I served first service, game four, first serves, think hel to fifteen good? Yeah, good, I serve really well today.
Speaker 3: And then Billy's first service going out of thirty fourth so we got through that and then the and then like easy holes from everyone for the rest of the set. We had thirty all a couple of times on theirs, but yeah, and then won the tie break from mini breakdown, got it straight back and won. What's the first that tibreaks score seven three or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Billy's so relaxed. When he says, he says, so super relaxed, isn't it it is?
Speaker 2: Yeah? He was, Yeah, it's good. I mean it's good.
Speaker 3: He's played a couple of singles matches here as well, because he's you know, no no nerves really at the start. So yeah, it was good. Obviously Public serves very very well to Bolli's one a hell of a player as well.
Speaker 1: What makes you say that?
Speaker 3: Just I mean, like some of the forehands he was hitting backhand returns very very good.
Speaker 2: In his fourhand, just moves a lot.
Speaker 3: Like it feels like he absolutely whacks it and you think it's going to go along and it dips inside the base side right coat angles like just good Field moves you around with it can go anywhere. Started chip lobbing on his forehand like very very well, and then Public's obviously got a long reach. So it was yes, I mean that's the best match I've played this year, to be honest.
Speaker 1: Right when you said you've been running a lot, is it because of them being singles predominantly singles players that they do find different angles?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do, and they hit drop shots and drop volleys. Public. You know they're hitting a first serve and I'm blocking the return.
Speaker 3: And I'm running straightforwar because i know they're going to go for the drop short angle and then public will lob you and then you know he's got a smash and hit a drop shot and you've got to charge that down and it's just it was just difficult. Yeah, they're very good players that they are just a bit different. You know, they want to get involved in rallies. They try and make that happen. They were very good at that, you know, avoiding the net player and keeping the rallies extended so they can you know, tee off on you a bit.
Speaker 1: I mean you had some mammoth points out there, right, some huge points.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, really long rallies. Lots of move really well today, which is good, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was tough. It was tough out there.
Speaker 1: Were you prepare for that, billy like you spoke to him before the match of obviously, and were you prepared for this? And during the match, what kind of conversations were you having.
Speaker 3: We just you know, wanted to go off to a good start, look after our serve with and find out, you know where they like to serve on bigger points. They vary it really well. They didn't serve body once to me the whole match. He got a kind of pick sides and try.
Speaker 2: And reach it.
Speaker 3: They obviously had a good understanding of tennis. I mean, Chavoli won a few Slam doubles as a junior public's public, you know, and he was invested today. You know, he wasn't there to mess around, he was they were playing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, of course they wasn't. Yeah, they're staying in the Grand Slam. They've got the same aim as you, which is to win Wimbledon, right of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what it felt like today.
Speaker 3: I mean, Chavoli is in the third round of singles and he's you know, taking rests and warming up for doubles.
Speaker 2: Public was a little bit lake.
Speaker 3: He was hitting over at a rangy, so you know, we didn't know quite what to expect or even if they were going to step on court, but you know they did, and you know they weren't like full of energy, but they were there to win.
Speaker 1: You know. Was there a point in the at the end of that first set where you could get more confident and you could think that you could close this one out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we went we got broken at three two and a second on Billies and then we were five two down the second, so we know it'd be difficult, but having that first set in my head means you know, you've got to win one of the next two sets. I mean, ideally this one, but you've got time. They were just serving really well, so you're just waiting for openings. But we were we were kind of in a few of their service games. I was confident we could make something happen, and you know, fortunately we went back to back breaks. I serve for the match, mister very easy smash at thirty fifteen. They played two good points and we're in a tie break again. So you know, you've got to be very quick to bounce back. You know, we're five two down and of a sudden six live up serving and then I get broken. It's the first time they got past thirty.
Speaker 2: On my serve.
Speaker 3: Wow, which was you know difficult. But then they're serving first point in the tiewt and you know made the return on that point. Long rally and then your three leve up, you know, three love up, going for it again.
Speaker 1: How much does it fill you with confidence? Your performance today?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 2: But I mean it's such a quick turnaround.
Speaker 3: Obviously it's half nine now I've got to get a car at half eight in the morning tomorrow and go and practice for a very different type of match, you know, playing defending champions Aussie Open winners. You don't really have time to think about it too much. It's a completely different match tomorrow. So yeah, obviously delighted to win. I'm delighted to play the way I did today because you never know what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: You just have to deal with it. But I don't really have time to be too happy.
Speaker 1: Well, let's just look at this match. Steve w Is asks what happened with the failed tween?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a long rally. It was quite a tough to you. I was nearly at the back fence. I tried to love it up and I had it quite a long way long, I think. But hell of a rally, I think. But no, yeah, it wasn't. It wasn't an easy tween. Is there such a thing?
Speaker 1: Is it? No? Yeah, that stuff just astounds me that players can actually consistently do that.
Speaker 3: It's just I don't know if they can consistently do it, because every time they do it, it's a highlight, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah? You're right? Actually, yeah, like hit around the net post. I'd like to see the others.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the thing.
Speaker 3: And also in doubles it's hardly in singles you can aim at the middle of the court. In doubles you don't have a lot of space. I was trying to get it above them for you. They're both at the net, because you're not going to beat two guys, you know, who were on top of the net with power. So I just hit it a bit too hard actually, like I've got more connection on it than I thought I would. And yeah, but I mean from my memory, I was running full sprint backwards.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but sorry, maybe didn't see it.
Speaker 1: He saw it as a gimme. It was easy shot.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe Steve W thinks I'm better than I am.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's it, I think, because Steve W makes it, Steve W probably does yet and he's thinking you should be watching him.
Speaker 2: Really, yeah, I will, I'll tune in.
Speaker 1: That's the nature of Steve W.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, we've all got things to learn.
Speaker 1: So Martin, Martin, as, did you feel extra pressure at six five serving for the match.
Speaker 3: I was confident we were going to hold because I mean I hadn't been through any drama on my service games really at all. First point, I think Billy had like a high volley down the middle, put it into the ground.
Speaker 2: They tubed him.
Speaker 3: And then thirty fifteen I had a smash that basically I ran full pelt and planted my feet too early and put it on top of my frame into the floor. And then and then thirty always sit a good return. I missed the next ball, and thirty forty he sit the baseline of the return and put the smash away. So no, I think obviously that smash is one i'd want back, and yeah, probably I probably wouldn't miss.
Speaker 2: That forty love at two all.
Speaker 3: But to put to be honest, there's about three or four balls in the whole match that I want back, which is really really silent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyone who's ever played tennis from Club of Upwoods, Oh my god, that's just heaven. Were you anticipate in a buble liquid hit an under im servet at some point?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I knew the one was coming at six to two in the tiebreat.
Speaker 1: Match point, Yeah you could see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the first one caught me off guard. That was very random, but I got there. I think he hit four on one or four points because yeah, obviously I'm quite happy using my hands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, can you is there a read on it?
Speaker 2: No, just happens, just happens. It was very quick, It's very quick.
Speaker 3: I did notice on the last one he kind of looks up a bit longer than normal, like he was being as ready so position and looking at you a bit funny and you're like.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, like that little bit before the gun slinger shoots, he just narrows his.
Speaker 2: Eyes a little bit.
Speaker 3: I kind of I thought, it's six to two, he's going to go for something chooky here. But I ran and actually hit a tops from four hund winner, which my first one since two thousand and eight, which actually caught the neck cord and blew over someone's head with the wind.
Speaker 1: Good good, Okay, So look, we're not going to stay on for a long time tonight. We're committed to doing this daily and to really kind of looking in behind the curtain of how professional doubles works and also how an appearance at Windbleden works. What are you doing now?
Speaker 2: So I'm talking to you, Dave?
Speaker 1: Yeah, is it a case of is there postmatch physical therapy stretch?
Speaker 3: You had to go and do media straight away? And then I think eight point thirty was when the order of play came out. Yep, it was an idea when playing first on tomorrow, but this is what happens. Obviously, I have to look at who's playing what. It's a lot of hanging around because then I have to request my tickets and get transport for the next day and stuff like that, and it's much easier when you're there.
Speaker 2: But no, it's nice. Got a bit of food after.
Speaker 3: I'm going to actually stretch it now because I didn't do that after the match. I went straight into shower and media. So yeah, I'm going to do that now. And you get some sleep if I can, because I'm exhausted.
Speaker 1: Well I was good to say that. Can you sleep?
Speaker 2: Yeah I can.
Speaker 3: I'm always sleeping. Find this time of year it's pretty it's pretty full on. It's amazing, but it's it's very full on. I mean, you know, when I'm done here, I'm going to take a week.
Speaker 2: Off and just switch off.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's last year. I went and played and I was awful for a little bit. It's not mentally ready. So there's a lot to member, a lot to organize. So much support, which is lovely, but I can't get back to everyone right now. But yeah, it's awesome problems to have. Yeah, of course, yeah problem half but nonetheless tying.
Speaker 1: And court seventeen twelve thirty tomorrow. What time are you in at Wimbledon? When do you meet Billy? When do you hear.
Speaker 2: Getting a cart? Half eight?
Speaker 3: So I'll be there nine to fifteen or so, hitting at half ten, so I'll be warm. I'll be going over to a range for ten warming up, so yeah, I probably quick coffee up top when I arrive, get match, git ready, get rackets in at the stringer.
Speaker 2: And and yeah, then we're off.
Speaker 1: And if you and Billy on the practice caol tomorrow, Yeah, and then you're on, aren't you. I mean you get there at ten two and a half hours later, you're on. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'll probably get there yeah, nine tom Yeah, I'll get there nine to fifteen so yeah, good, three and three hours before match I'll be there.
Speaker 1: And it's the number two Seas tomorrow. Do you know, I mean, do you know Henry Patton played.
Speaker 2: Them Queens two weeks ago, lost ten six.
Speaker 1: Okay, there we go.
Speaker 3: I was playing with Stevenson, so it's a different match. You know, Queen's was incredibly quick. I'm playing with a huge server doubles player, Billy, you know, very very good tennis player, different skills, you know better.
Speaker 2: From the base line, yes, there's gonna.
Speaker 3: Be a different match the obviously they're obviously be more darted now because that was their second match on grass after the French Open.
Speaker 2: So so we'll just have to go and see.
Speaker 1: But do you know Henry tennis generally Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Mean he played singles for a bit, but he's obviously playing different tournaments to me most of the time.
Speaker 1: So he's a giant, isn't he. Yeah, seven sixty six something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great serve, Yeah, just very good. That'll be a tough match. But again, if I go out there and perform as you know, well as I can, and fight hard and enjoy it, then you never know.
Speaker 1: Well leot mate, I'm looking forward to seeing the match. I'm going to be watching off the telly like millions of others, and I'm looking forward to catching up tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Take it easy, thanks mate. So