Speaker 1: Here is your Channel nine first one and weather forecast. It's gonna be a breezy day to day with isolated's snowshowers possible thirty three for the high, then a twenty three overnight with clouds. Tomorrow's sunny and a high of thirty nine. It's a warmer day overnight low of thirty three with a rain kicking in around midnight. Maybe you get a wintery mix depending on where you are. You got clouds on Saturday with a higher forty It's twenty eight right now. It's time for a traffic updates.
Speaker 2: From the UC out Traffic Center. Don't let injury slow you down. The UC health orthopedics and sports medicine experts can help keep you moving. Schedule a same day appointment at UCHealth dot com. Latest accident is on the ramp from northbound seventy five to eastbound Fort Washington Way. It adds to heavier traffic between Buttermilk and downtown. There's a wreck on Mosteller at the end of the west two seventy five ramp that's affecting traffic coming off of a highway both east and westbound chuck Ing, Vermont fifty five krs. The talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven thirty here fifty five kr CIT talk station fingers crossed. Senator Ran Paul will be dollon in here soon. He's scheduled to be on the program. Talk about well, Christy Nooam's hearing which for the Department of Homeland Security, which has been kicked for a day. I guess there was some paperwork that had to be done. I saw some reporting on Politico on that and then the Russ Vaught officer management and budget. And he has interesting perception which I think is probably an accurate one, although it did rub some of the Democrats the wrong way. He said that he does not have to spend or the Trump does not have to spend money that has been allocated by Congress, authorized by Congress. He's got no obligation to do that. Presidents have the ability to spend less than an appropriation if they can do it for less. And on that topic, welcome back to the fifty five Cassey Morning Show, Senator Ran Paul. It's always a pleasure to have you on my program Sir.
Speaker 3: Glad to be with you. Good morning.
Speaker 1: My understanding is, I know Christy Noams Department of Homeland Security here is on the agenda for us to talk about and we can. I just saw that it got kicked for a day it's supposed to have They're supposed to have that tomorrow. Is that is that correct?
Speaker 3: Yes, yesterday we had Russ Vote, who will be the OMB director and he was the previous OMB director under Trump in the last administration. Nome, we're still waiting on some paperwork. Everybody goes to an FBI background check and some ethics paperwork and it wasn't completed. We're hoping it'll be completed, so we can do that tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Okay, And I get the impression you're probably on board with Nome as the director of the Department Homeland Security.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna sport both Nome and rust Vote. And really most of Trump's picks have been pretty good. In fact, some of them so good that I would have picked him myself. Just met with Marty McCarey yesterday. Marty McCarey's the doctor from John Hopkins who's going to be head of FDA. He's going to be probably the best director of the FDA we've ever had. Jay baticharia doctor from Stanford who I know well, is going to be in charge of NIH and hopefully cleaning house over there. Cash Hotel at the FBI is going to clean house bad Bondye at Department of Justice. I mean, just a lot of.
Speaker 1: Good people, a lot of hysterics and the Democrats during some of these hearings. But I guess that's to be expected in terms of russ vote. I saw him that he said in during the hearings that for two hundred years presidents had the ability to spend less than an appropriation if they could do it for less. He was asked infestitti if he thought Donald Trump didn't have to spend what had been allocated as it pertains of parameters of how we would use that. That's something that his team would have to consider in the confirm That obviously rubbed Democrats the wrong way, including Richard Blumenthal, who expressed astonishment that someone would even say that.
Speaker 3: It is a technical question, but it is an important one. It's called impoundment. So if the Congress allocates a billion dollars for an aircraft carrier, and let's say Elon mus gets involved looking at every nut and volt for eight hundred million, you've saved two hundred million to the president be able to impound that there is a real question. I mean, there have been some laws against him doing that. But there is another possibility of an impoundment that's absolutely legal and no question on that's called recision. The president could templarly shift the two hundred billion dollars back to Congress. It gets an expedited vote, and the expedited vote can be fifty percent vote, so there's no filibuster, meaning that Republicans alone could cut that two hundred billion. So I think it's a tool that has never been fully utilized. Trump tried it once in the previous administration for only fifteen billion, and two Republicans deserted and voted with the Democrats and we lost even a fifteen billion car recision. I'm hoping they will try again, and it's one of those things they have to understand. They're going have to come and lobby, not people like me who are for cutting, but there are some of the bigger government Republicans. They're just have to come over and lobby them and try to convince them to vote for it, and convince some really that the circumstances of our debt are pretty dire and growing more dire. Interest rates aren't coming down. And that's you know, not only is it the debt with accumulated but with interest rates twice what they were ten years ago. You know, we're paying off the debt at two percent. Now we're paying off the debt at four percent. Yeah, that's a big deal.
Speaker 1: That is a huge deal. Well, that that recision. I love that concept because it outs the so called rhino is, the ones that aren't interested in being fiscally responsible. I mean, they have to vote on that, and that's something I was having a conversation with Congressman Massy about. He says, you know, it was the Omnibus Bill and of course the Reconciliation Bill, And I said, you know, you guys are in charge now, you can just deliver on cutting and he just kind of chuckled, and he said, well, you know, when you're talking about cutting projects in a Republican's home state, they're a little they're wary to do, you know, not going to do it because it's their stuff and it's there, it's their pet project. And even if it's something ridiculous like the F thirty five, you know they won't cut. I said, well, why don't you start naming names. Let'spread the word on who's doing that kind of thing, so we cannot make the same mistake next time around. And he said, well, you know, I got to work with these people. I just got it. I wasn't comforted by that statement.
Speaker 3: Well, part of the problem is is newspapers and media used to be better at this. I can remember even in Bowling Green, when I first came to Bowling Green and finished my medical training, there would periodically be four or five votes in the paper of how they voted. Third party groups do this, like there are libertarian groups that Republican Liberty Caucus, which is Libertarian Republicans says a Libertarian leaning index each year. There are business groups that do it, but it's just not far and wide enough and it's not out there. And you know, the Internet has so much information, but you rarely come across, you know, rating systems that have prominence which show how how your congressman voted. You know, if you know, I pointed out in Festivus report this year that there was a four hundred thousand dollars grant to study whether or not lonely rats use more cocaine than group social rights and load ball when you're lonely. You tapped the cocaine button more And anyway, the thing is is what kind of grief would the public give if they knew that their congressman not only voted for this, but voted to double the amount of money given to this agency. It's called the National Science Foundation. And we had a bill which was to subsidize billion dollar chip companies and also double the size of the National Science Foundation, and every Democrat voted for it, and half the Republicans voted for it. But you're right, somebody's got to point it out. Somebody's got to point out who's voting for these things.
Speaker 1: Well, congratulations, you are, I understand the chair of the newly seeded chair of the Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee. Can you talk about what you're going to be doing on that as well as the remain in Mexico hearing, which I understand is a guesst Today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this morning, we're going to have a first hearing. I thought it would be important to do it before the inaugurations. I think inauguration day is going to be busy and Donald Trump's go announced a lot of it about the border. Our hearings called remain in Mexico. We're going to have the previous director of Homeland Security under previous Trump administration, Ken Kuchinelli, talented lawyer, constitutional lawyer from Virginia, and he's going to talk about does the existing law already give the president the power to control the border. And this is the debate we had with the Democrats. They're like, oh, well, we'd love to control the border, but we just need to give Biden the power to do it. We don't think that's true. We think the power already gives great latitude to how any kind of asylum program is created. We frankly think that the president has the power to simply make people who come across the border illegally ineligible for asylum. Then you wouldn't start these four year long processes applying people all over the US waiting for their when they'll be detained. We also think the president, for the couple million people that came in last year, unattended young males coming into our country, I think the president could move their detainment date the next month and say your detainment trial you're hearing is next month. This is what the ones that already got here that buy let in and if you don't show up, you're a felon. And then when we find you, you'll kick you out and never come back. And so I think there's a lot of things that can be done. They're dramatic. I think Trump's going to use a lot of these dramatic things that he already has the power for. We wanted to make sure the public knew that the law actually supports quite a bit of latitude for the president well.
Speaker 1: Before we part company. I just have been observing that I've been expecting some sort of much like the first Trump administration mass protest along some lines previously was anti file or Black Lives Matter, I expect this deportation effort is going to result in masses of illegal immigrants taking to the streets in protests of being kicked out of the country. Any concerns along those lines, or concerns from a homeland security standpoint that terrorist activities might take place.
Speaker 3: Now, I guess if mass protests of illegal aliens happen, it'll be easier to find them. I love that, you know, I think. Look, and I don't want to don't get me wrong, I am very pro immigration, lawful immigration. I have a lot of good friends who came here. Many of our best Americans just got here. But we just can't allow millions to come in without any kind of scrutiny or screening. Really, there have to be limits we can't have, and you can't let ten million people in a year. It sort of overwhelmed the country and overwhelms all the government systems in the hospital. So not to mention the risk of that bad people, terrorists, and also many of these countries that are run by socialists just empty their jail. Yes, you know, so Venezuela's just led a bunch of their criminals go. That's what Castro dies you. But you know with the Mario leto Is back in the eighties. So we can't do that. But at the same time, I want to make sure that at least this Republican isn't perceived as someone who doesn't like immigrants. I have many good friends who have just gotten this country, and I'm i'm I'm pleased with our friends.
Speaker 1: Senator Reun Poulsiz, is a pleasure to have you on the program with you best of luck with the Homeland Security Government Affairs Committee work and the hearings will kick in. We'll be watching and wish you luck on the remain in Mexico policy, among others. Until we talk again. Best of health, my friend. Thanks God my pressure seven forty one fifty five krc DE talk station. Imaging can be affordable. I mentioned I'm going to get another CT scan in April. I've already made the appointment at Affordable Medical Imaging. In fact, you know, it's kind of funny. When I saw I have them on that point with my doctor, she said, are you going to go to the same place she went last time? I said yeah. I thought, well, I said, just print me out of script. I'll take care of it. By the time I got home, I got a call from Affordable Imaging Services. They had already got in touch with them, so it scheduled the MRI. I'm ready to go. It's going to or the the CT scan rather, and it's not going to cost me nearly what it would cost at the hospital. Always like to point that out. I'm in a new calendar year with insurance too. We got a massive out of pocket liability. I don't want to write a check for five grand or whatever for the CT scan or pay extra for the contrast and the radiologist report that CT scan with my contrast six hundred dollars. That's right, six hundred to Affordable Medical Imaging and it includes the price of the board certified radiologist report, which was fine with my doctor the last time she got one. So they have the same equipment with medical professionals, just like the hospital, but they don't have the overhead. It is low overhead. But when you can save so much money, and you got so much out of pocket liability, why wouldn't you go where it's going to be less and it's all things are equal beyond that five one three seven, five three eight thousands, and I'm gonna call you do have a choice when it comes to your medical care five one three seven, five three eight thousand. To learn more about the pricing for the MRIs and Echo Cartogram's ultrasounds, long screens, and cardiac scorings, check it out online at Affordable Medimaging dot com. Fifty five car the talk station Hello