Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: So there's the state slug. And then California is also going to designate the dungeness crab as the state crustacean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now you please.
Speaker 4: You don't want to conflate the dungeness crab with the crabs that you got in your youth when you were dating the wrong person.
Speaker 3: I just want to point that out. This is the dungeness crab. Thank you, Bill, They're okay.
Speaker 1: And now handle on the news, ladies and gentlemen, here's Bill Handle.
Speaker 4: All right, it is a humpday, August twenty eight.
Speaker 3: We've got a whole lot to talk about today. First of all, quick hello to the morning crowd. Amy, Good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 4: You know, I try to listen to as much of wake up call as I can. Unfortunately, I'm you know, reading the stuff that I'm getting from Anne and I'm looking at the news. But uh, the little bits and pieces I get, I have to tell you, I get little.
Speaker 3: Bits and piece bits and pieces. Uh are you really? I really can't.
Speaker 4: Tell uh how that works. So anyway, I just wanted to point that out that I haven't listened to it and what the hell you say? No, no, And then I am going to point out how cold on how good your newscasts are, in which they are absolutely superb, and if that translates, which I don't know because I don't.
Speaker 3: Listen to Wake Up Call, You're doing a phenomenal job. That was a compliment. Thank you, You're welcome. That was a handle compliment. I know what I'm doing is giving.
Speaker 4: Her kudos for something I have no idea if she deserves kudos or not. Thanks, You're welcome, You're welcome. But I know your ratings are phenomenal, So that helps. That does help, all right.
Speaker 3: So there's a good morning to Amy. Let's start with that. Neil, good morning.
Speaker 5: I don't want any part of this.
Speaker 2: Do you have anything nice to say to Neil this morning?
Speaker 5: I don't want it. Give it all to Cono.
Speaker 6: I'm good, this is not the host con O.
Speaker 4: Good morning.
Speaker 5: Good morning, though, and good morning, good morning.
Speaker 4: I've shared lead the story about when Neil and I go out in the one time he tried to buy lunch for me.
Speaker 3: Have I I've shared that with you because I don't remember.
Speaker 4: Okay, So I've got a rule in my life that whoever makes the most money pays for lunch, and I have friends who make more money than I do. We've had friends who made more money I do, and I have no problem. I just hand in the check.
Speaker 3: Here you go. Couldn't care less.
Speaker 4: So Neil we would have lunch early on when he became my intern, or after he was working at the station. So one day we're having lunch and I go to the restroom and I ask the female waitress person for the bill, and she says it's already been taken care of. And I looked at Neil and I said, what happened?
Speaker 2: Here?
Speaker 4: He goes, I took care of the bill because you take me to lunch. And I said to him, Neil, let me point something out. Okay, if you think I am grateful for this, you are not.
Speaker 3: I am not.
Speaker 4: As a matter of fact, my esteem for you has dropped several points and none of this is appreciated. Just wanted to let you know that's how much I appreciate you buying lunch. Ever since then, if I'm with Neil at a meal and that bill in that little bill past thing either leather or a little you know, whatever that they put it in comes in front of Neil. He throws it to me like a frisbee. I mean, I have to duck to get out of the way.
Speaker 3: What do they call those? Uh huh yeah, I'm trying.
Speaker 5: To touch it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, you you're very good about that.
Speaker 5: The folio that.
Speaker 4: The yeah, the folio and sometimes they're made leather a lot and clipboards.
Speaker 3: That's it. The other day I had one.
Speaker 4: They put a clipboard on it, you know, a little clipboard and you get the thing that looks like a mouth trap to hold everything together. Okay, that's it. Uh just yeah, it's a great story. It's one of my great stories. Which if you if I ever add that to my podcast, you will that will be the last time you ever listened to a podcast of mine, which, by the way, is up and running the Bill Handle Show podcast. Yesterday it's Tuesdays and Thursdays. Yesterday was I explained to you how far back your dog goes, and I'm talking about genetically and mankind and dogs.
Speaker 3: Okay, you guys ready to do it?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 3: We got a lot going on today, So pardon.
Speaker 5: Neil, nothing, move along.
Speaker 4: Okay, fair enough, all right, let's do it.
Speaker 3: It's time for Handle on.
Speaker 4: The News with Amy King, Neil and moa lea.
Speaker 3: Story, and boy it is a lead story.
Speaker 4: Yesterday, a superseding indictment against former President Trump by special counsel Jack Smith. I'm going to get much more into this at seven am. But superseding indictments are indictments that are superseding, strangely enough, and what they do is either amplify or are added to a current indictment, which any prosecutor can do. That is something that is just done. And if you remember, the Supreme Court said that the president has absolute immunity when he is acting in his official capacity, and the Trump administration, the former president's lawyers had argued.
Speaker 3: That everything he does is official capacity.
Speaker 4: Everything even Trump said anything I do as president, I'm immune from any kind of prosecution. Well, the court delineated official actions versus non official action. So what Jack Smith says, he took the same set of facts and split him apart, reduced a few of them, and said the four counts, we're looking at what he did as a candidate, not an official act. Trying to overturn an election is not something that is a national issue. It is well, it's not a issue of national security, it's not official as to what a president does.
Speaker 3: He did it as a candidate.
Speaker 4: So anyway, I'll talk more about that at seven am, because there's a lot on that one.
Speaker 3: It's a big deal, to say the least.
Speaker 2: Here's another big deal. Time for a sit down. Vice President Harris has finally agreed to do a sit down interviews. Do it alone. No, she's gonna have her vice presidential candidate, Tim Walls by her side. It's going to happen tomorrow night at six on CNN. Dana Bash is the interviewer. She hasn't done a formal interview or a press conference since she announced that she was running for president more than a month ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's getting a lot of grief for that. Have you noticed while Trump and Vance are separately doing their rallies, she doesn't move without Walls. Those two are together. I think there can join twins.
Speaker 6: I think it's weird that she needs him in an interview. I think it's weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's rather strange.
Speaker 4: Now there's a reason for it, because maybe she doesn't do too well in one on ones, or maybe she does see her and also he is such a likable, folksy kind of guy. You just like him, and he's the only one up on a national ticket that is just that nice of a guy that you want to hang with him. His likability factor is tremendous. Her likability factor is not now not as bad as Hillary Clinton, her likability factor was down in the toilet, and Donald Trump's likability factor is not.
Speaker 3: Very high either.
Speaker 4: So I think he is the best weapon that her campaign has, and.
Speaker 3: I can see the political motive of that, but a lot of.
Speaker 4: Criticisms saying, hey, you really need him at every step of the way.
Speaker 6: Family Hail's rescue of Israeli hostage from Hamas tunnel in Gaza. Those tunnels that people say don't exist apparently do exist. For Han al Kadi. He's fifty two. He's a Bedouin Israeli citizen from or a hot in southern Israel who has been held hostage since the beginning October seventh. He's now in stable medical condition after being rescued from this tunnel in southern Gaza. Very complex operation. They say, ol Kadi is the eighth hostage to be rescued alive in Gods by the Israeli military.
Speaker 3: You have very few and far between them.
Speaker 4: So now the Israelis are saying there are one hundred and nine hostages, of which they have no idea how many are dead, and certainly Hamas is not saying.
Speaker 2: And that guy said that he told his rescuers that he was originally held with a group of people in the tunnels and that he saw at least one of the hostages die in front of him.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: And when they found him, he wasn't with his captor.
Speaker 3: No, he was by himself. He was by himself.
Speaker 4: And the kind of intelligence that Israel the Israeli forces get, it's pretty impressive. I mean, they're going it looks like any but anybody who's in the tunnel that goes out of the tunnel is in real danger of the Israeli and Israeli attack or assassination attempt, which is why Raya Sinwar stays in the tunnels.
Speaker 3: That's what the reporting has been.
Speaker 4: And it makes yeah, I believe that because that's the safest place for him for sure.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well forget saving the planet. Republican officials in twenty four States have asked the Supreme Court to halt a Biden administration effort to reduce emissions of methane gas. The States are asking the High Court to pause an Environmental Protection Agency rule that went into effect earlier this year, and that the agency estimates will cut methane emissions from oil and gas operations by nearly eighty percent through twenty thirty eight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you've got the environmentalists that are going, hey, take a look at what's going on in the world.
Speaker 3: Okay, just take a look.
Speaker 4: You're not hearing climate change is a hoax anymore. That's sort of off the table, all right. So that's one view from the Republicans that the environmentalists and the Democrats say, you guys are crazy, You're destroying the planet. The other side of it is, hey, we have to keep people working. You know, look how many hundreds of thousands of people will work in the fossil fuel industries, the power plants, the oil industry, the oil patch, and so what do you do with that? So under a Harris administration, it will see very strong laws in terms of the.
Speaker 3: Strength the EPA has.
Speaker 4: Under a Trump administration, it's exactly the opposite. And you get to guess which way it goes, which side you're on? Have you seen? And I watch the national news every night. In addition, to everything I read. I don't know the last time I looked at a story over the last week and weeks where there hasn't been a major story about climate change, either its massive flooding rains beyond belief or its heat spells that are hitting the country. I mean, is it is tough. I mean, climate change is upon us, and now what do.
Speaker 3: We deal with it?
Speaker 4: The good news is is by the time it makes it unlivable, I'll be dead.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: Let my kids, my grand kids worry about it.
Speaker 6: Oh, I think that's all something for us to hope for. Former President Donald Trump on Tuesday announced on truth Social of Course that he has reached an agreement to participate in the September tenth debate with Vice President Kamala Harris. So the rules basically are going to be the same as the CNN debate. That means, you know, he says, it's works for everyone. That means the muted mics and everything that we saw last time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I was reading about this and listening to the pundits, and this is a win for him. And here is the thinking on the Trump part, or at least the Trump advisors, is a non muted, a non muted press conference means that he isn't going to interrupt every two seconds like he did with Hillary, like he did with Joe Biden, and what the Harris folks want to do is have him do that. So he looks kind of out of control, and his folks are saying no, because if he cannot overreact, then he comes off more presidential.
Speaker 3: As opposed to a wild man.
Speaker 4: So it's basically, we want to control our guy, and that means a muted mic.
Speaker 3: I thought that was very interesting.
Speaker 4: And by the way, I think that's true because Donald Trump does veer off and get very personal and he does. You know, every time Joe Biden would say something, Donald Trump would go Nope, not true, nope, nope, nope. In the original debate, the muted debate, well, obviously Joe Biden, you can't even compare the two because he imploded. So that's we're even hearing that. Donald Trump, if you look at it, didn't do very well in the campaign, didn't do very well in the debate. Now you can argue yes or no, but Joe Biden was so disastrous the comparison can't even be made.
Speaker 2: Well, you said not a day is by that we don't do a story about climate change. The ocean's overflowing. UN Secretary General Antonio Gutierrez issued a global SOS. It's a save our Seas. The Global SOS was issued while he was on the Pacific island nation of Tonga. There's a plea out to the world to massively increase finance and support for vulnerable countries. Says the ocean is overflowing and rising seas or a crisis entirely of humanities.
Speaker 6: Making Meanwhile, surfs UP US officials awarded California nearly one hundred and fifty million for the construction of more than nine thousand and two hundred electric vehicle the vehicle charging units. This is all in an attempt to make zero mission cars attractive to wider range drivers. You've heard handled talked about this many times on the air, that that range anxiety and everything else, that it's time to put your money where your mouth is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that's a evs were had exploded in popularity and sales. I mean they were going like crazy, especially here in California, not only because we're drivers and we're usually ahead of the curve, but also because of the emissions and the two twenty thirty five standard that we are supposed to be completely fossil fuel free terms of energy, we need alternative energy. Put all that together and EV's make all the sense in the world. And I bought one promise charging stations. EV sales have actually slowed because of charging stations, and I was talking to one of the BMW guys saying, until charging stations become prolific, sales are not going to go. Even though it makes tremendous sense to buy an EV. I mean the cost of there's no cost of fuel, minuscule electricity costs, and so I mean we need charging stations.
Speaker 3: When I do my commercials.
Speaker 4: For Walter's Wholesale Electric, which I do every day, what's the first thing I say, not enough EV charging stations.
Speaker 3: There aren't enough.
Speaker 5: Did the government step in with gas stations.
Speaker 4: No, but I don't think the I don't think it needed to. If you look at the infrastructure, it was organic. Gas stations were always there from the very beginning. Well, it used to be you buy cans of gas early on from your pharmacy and you put it in and then gas stations started, but it was all organic. This is a very different animal. For example, the government really got involved in the development of nuclear weapons, and that wasn't done in small batches by individual entrepreneurs. Sometimes the government has to get involved.
Speaker 3: Sometimes not.
Speaker 2: Another day, another delay. SpaceX has delayed its latest mission, and that is the Polaris Dawn mission, which was supposed to launch for civilians into space. They were going to go to Earth's Van Allen radiation belts, which apparently is lower th orbit to do some spacewalks that it would be the first time a civilian would do a spacewalk, but they said we have to push it back because they're expecting the weather to be bad when the crew is scheduled to return, not for the takeoff for the return.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're going to have Rod Pyle with this coming up at seven thirty to talk about this. In a couple of other instances where SpaceX, I think Elon mus going to be the become the hero on this one.
Speaker 3: So that's up at seven thirty.
Speaker 6: Disbarred celebrity lawyer Tom Giraldi was Girardi. Girardi sorry, was convicted yesterday of inbezid tens of millions of dollars from his clients. So you got several people that had severe physical injuries, families of people killed in accident. He's generally a pretty horrible person.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's a bad guy because not only did he embezzle trust funds money that he received in settlements and jury awards, but the people he took them from, burn victims, people who are elderly, people who had lost family and got settlements, he took it. He just took their money. I mean tens of millions over all these years. And I mean you talk about a facade he's put on his wife was what one of the stars of Wives of Beverly Hills, Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I watched that place.
Speaker 5: He's even been on a couple of times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he has.
Speaker 4: And it's just I mean private jets and vacations and all that, all with stuff.
Speaker 5: Stole from the poor and gave to the rich.
Speaker 3: Looking himself right.
Speaker 4: And he was also involved in the Pacific Gaston Electric lawsuit, the Erin Brockovich lawsuit that led to a three hundred and thirty three million dollar settlement which he was going to get. He would have got, I mean legitimately would get one hundred million dollars on that thirty percent of a settlement.
Speaker 3: I mean, because that's the retainer.
Speaker 4: So in any case he was it was disbarred a couple of years ago.
Speaker 3: Now, how do I know him because.
Speaker 4: He was one of the chief sponsors of the Lawyer's Philharmonic that I amc every year, and he was always there, and there'd be the the green room and we would talk and just I mean, it's an acquaintance. I'm not going to say he's a friend. But every time I would go there and Girardi was there, I noticed that I was pickpocketed. I never put the two together. This helps enormously for me to understand what happened.
Speaker 6: I will tell you just heads up, he probably won't be showing up for a few years.
Speaker 3: I don't think he's going to go to prison. I don't think.
Speaker 4: I think he is old, decrepit. He is suffering from dementia. As a matter of fact, he got his trial delayed because of dementia. He lives in an assistant facility, assistant living facility. And what makes it even weird, this guy who has spent stolen tens of millions, stolen tens of millions, and has spent a fortune he has a public defender representing him. He doesn't even have a lawyer. He can't afford a lawyer, and so he'll end up in complete dementia. And originally he had asked for a dismissal based on inability to participate in his trial, which is a constitutional requirement. You have to be able to participate and understand what you're doing. And he got out of that and a judge reinstated.
Speaker 3: His ability to participate, and so.
Speaker 4: And his defense is the doggate the homework being his partner who stole all the money and he really didn't know sure.
Speaker 2: So Mexico's matt edis. Mexico's President Andre Manuel Lopez Obrador has halted diplomatic relations with the US and Canadian embassies after their ambassador's criticized Obrador's proposal to have judges elected by popular vote. Lopez Obrador says the pause is with the embassies, though it's not with the whole country, and he said relations will be re established once the diplomats are respectful of the independence of Mexico, of the sovereignty of Mexico.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this one's interesting because pulling your ambassadors out and basically saying no, no embassy can be at work. Sort of kind of is diplomatic relations being cut off? But he's saying no, it's only the embassies themselves. I guess the buildings themselves, those who work in the embassy.
Speaker 3: One's kind of weird.
Speaker 4: Also his argument, and you know, you've got American diplomatic personnel, including Canadian are telling Mexico here's the way you should do it. You should not have popular election of judges. Excuse me, who the hell are you? This is our country.
Speaker 3: So I can see him being pissed off. And of course, I mean his.
Speaker 4: Administration just sucks big time.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 6: For years, the Paralympians with tattoos, you know, the Olympic rings. We saw a lot of that during the Olympics this year, the Summer Olympics this year. They had to cover them up completely for competition or they would face penalties from the International Paralympic Committee, and that included disqualification. But ahead of the twenty twenty four Paralympics, which start next week in Paris, they suddenly have, you know, with zero explanation, reversed course and are dropping the rule.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, well think about this. Doesn't that make a lot of sense. First of all, any athlete who goes to the Olympics that is tatted is going to have the Olympic rings on. I mean, there's no way. It's too great an honor and too great a statement not to make with the Olympics the Olympic rings. And now I have a question, is it only have to do with the Olympic rings themselves that weren't allowed? And I don't know the answer to this because it is the Paralympics, and they I think they have a different logo, don't they.
Speaker 3: They don't. It's the same logo.
Speaker 4: All right, that's what a on set.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, the big guns have arrived to fight fires. We got to see one thirty Hercules. California is the first state in the nation to own, operate, and deploy its own big air tank cur toify wildfires. We're going to be getting a total of seven of them. They're being retrofitted. The Hercules is capable of flying faster and further than any other aircraft in Calfire's arsenal, with a range of eight hundred miles and a payload of four thousand gallons of fire retardant.
Speaker 4: Now this is Calfire's fleet. There are private fleets out there. For example, there's a seven forty seven that flies around out there that fights fires, as well as a DC ten that's out there. If you've seen those things at work. But this is CalFire and they're using more and more aircraft because that seems to be obviously the way to go with a lot of it has to do with they now have the ability to put retardant on the ground at night because of the technology, which they used to not be able to do. And I got to tell you, those pilots are I mean insane. You're flying around at like four hundred feet and the thermals that come off of fire, I mean, can you imagine the kind of turbulence that comes off these massive wildfires and then they are four hundred five hundred feet which is why occasionally and the aircraft.
Speaker 3: Are all old.
Speaker 4: I mean these are refurbished, it's not like their new aircraft, and some of them are really old. And occasionally you read about a couple of them auguring into the ground, start diving and then all of a sudden the wings come off. That is very problematic, not good for the pilots.
Speaker 6: You know, what the crazy thing is to me losing them all that weight? No, that all that weight at one time, you know, when they're dumping. Yeah, whether it's the fast edge, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: And that's another issue of how difficult it is to fly those things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, very impressive pilots.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: Now I want to point something out is we have one, two, three stories left to go, which means there is no chance in hell that we are not going to have time left over at the end of the segment, because we're going to run out of stories before we run out of time, and that doesn't happen very often. So Ann and Neil and Amy start coming up with jokes if you would please, that we can end the show with. Okay, and they have to be fairly clean, or in the hour with they have to be fairly clean. So let's go ahead and do the stories, and then we'll jump into how we are going to spin and how we're going to opf ascute and convolute and try to figure out how we spend the rest of the hour handle on the news with Amy, Neil and me.
Speaker 6: I want to convolute, of course, root and toot and convolute, Hey, don't touch that.
Speaker 3: Oops.
Speaker 5: The Daisy.
Speaker 6: A four year old boy accidentally smashed a bronze age jar at an archaeological museum in Haifa, Israel. And so in this particular museum, they have some of the artifacts just as they are naturally on a stand. And I know that sounds crazy, but it's kind of a beautiful sentiment wrapped in glass or anything like that. This artifact was over thirty five hundred years old. It's on display without that glass near the institution's entrance. And their belief is they they want I guess the original curator or builder of the museum said that they want some of these artifacts to be accessible. But his father said that his son had just pulled the jar lightly and then he saw it at the kid's feet, and he's like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yes, they're going to keep on.
Speaker 4: They're going to keep on allowing first of all kids in the museum and still no protection for these artifacts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll figure.
Speaker 2: I wonder how much they're going to be talking about Taylor. The Kelsey brothers, Jason and Travis have signed a podcast deal with Amazon's Wondery and for the brothers it's worth more than one hundred million dollars. They they do their New Heights podcast. They've been doing it since twenty twenty two, but now they've signed the deal with Wondery, which is an Amazon company, just in time for the twenty twenty four to twenty five NFL season. It's a three year deal. Wondery gets exclusive light rights to all the episodes. They say that New Heights has brought hilarious, relevant commentary and interviews and unprecedented insider access to the NFL season and professional sports, and they're thrilled to be part of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's still going to be available on all the platforms out there. He's just going to go on Amazon first and they'll be ad free.
Speaker 3: So I guess that's worthwhile.
Speaker 4: How many Downstrea was very popular before, and do we know how many downloads? This thing has to have an astronomical listenership. You know, you don't get one hundred million dollars just for the potential of making money.
Speaker 3: It just doesn't work here. Your jealousy, of course, is jealousy.
Speaker 6: Of course never gave a rats ass about downloads until his own podcast.
Speaker 3: That's absolutely true.
Speaker 4: And for the record, I and the number of listeners has just exploded on my podcast. I want to thank all nine of you that have become listeners, and it is growing like crazy. If you look at the graph, by next week, it'll be probably fifteen sixteen people. Well might as well pitch the podcast. The podcast dropping Tuesday and Thursday. Thank you for that, Neil good segue.
Speaker 3: It's the Bill Handle.
Speaker 4: Show podcast and it started Tuesday and Thursday nine o'clock we drop it.
Speaker 3: And the one that dropped.
Speaker 4: Yesterday is the History of Dogs, Your dog and how your dog came into your home and your life.
Speaker 3: But man, it started a long time ago. Very interesting stuff. Okay, oh, we're actually gonna make it last story.
Speaker 5: Mark Zuckerberg, you all know him.
Speaker 6: He's the chairman and CEO of the social media company Meta. They deal with Facebook and gram all of that.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 6: He said in a letter to the House Judiciary Committee on Monday this week that his teams were pressured by the Biden White House to censor some content around COVID nineteen, even things that were humor or satire. He also said that the FBI warned his company about potential Russian disinformation around Hunter Biden and the Ukrainian firm Barisma affecting the twenty twenty election, and he said that he regrets all of this.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, well we actually made it. We did a pretty good job. No, we didn't have to put in the jokes, did we.
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 4: KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iheartright Radio app. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch My Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.