Speaker 1: God channeling is dinner clerk.
Speaker 2: Get them the shives makes the cat backhand sigh, dustin off that gold.
Speaker 1: Globe said, you want my spot, come and get it.
Speaker 3: Wanna take your shot?
Speaker 4: We're waiting for you.
Speaker 1: Think you're looking real hot, Come and get it.
Speaker 3: We're here.
Speaker 4: The road comes through La.
Speaker 3: Come get it. If you won't it, I got it.
Speaker 1: Do you think you can beat this team in a series?
Speaker 3: I got it? Best overall, Miss Dan Klass Padres.
Speaker 5: Fans can line up to kiss our ring.
Speaker 3: You gotta do what I do if you won't my spot.
Speaker 6: Welcome to Dodgers on Tap. Now your host walking you up to first pitch.
Speaker 7: Tim kays Hi, everybody, and welcome in to Morongo Casino Dodgers on day help. You're well on this beautiful Sunday here in southern California. The weather not so great in Kansas City, as your world champion Los Angeles Dodgers are there Hoffman Stadium this week for a three game set against the Royals. Dodgers fifty two and thirty two on this season. After winning the series opener on Friday, the Dodgers had their five game winning streak come to an end yesterday in a.
Speaker 1: Loss to the Royals.
Speaker 7: Today they go for the series win in the final game of this road trip. It's a bullpen game with Louke Trevino gonna get the start. Justin Robleski. We'll get a bulk of the innings. First pitch was scheduled for eleven ten am Pacific, but there is rain in the Kansas City area. It's hot and humid. The rain is blowing through and because of the weather, this game will not start on time. But we will lead you up to whatever is to come here on Morongo Casino. Dodgers on deck. We're gonna hear from the manager, Dave Roberts, David Vase. He's got a great interview. He's gonna go one on one with Bob Kendrick. He is the president of the Negro League's Baseball Museum in Kansas City, Missouri. He has been there for years helping run that great museum in Kansas City. So dv goes one on one with Bob. Coming up in about forty five minutes, we've got your magical moment. We'll dive deeper in what this pitching matchup will look like, and in just a few minutes we'll head out to Tim nevererde and Rick Monday at the Gallpin Motors Broadcast booth. Well yesterday at Kaufman Stadium, it was show Hey Otani getting the start, the right hander making his third start in a Dodger uniform. The first two outings he went one inning a piece. Yesterday he was expected to go more and he did two innings, no runs, one hit, one walk, one strikeout. He threw twenty seven pitches. He even hit one hundred and two miles an hour on the radar gun. He looked great in his third outing in a Dodger uniform. He turned it over to Benksparaus, who was battling.
Speaker 1: A bit of the flu.
Speaker 7: Had the chills, had a fever the night before at the team hotel.
Speaker 1: He woke up said he was good to go.
Speaker 7: He went four Indians, but gave up six runs on eight hits, struck out four through seventy five pitches. Mckel garcias two run double in the third made it a two nineteen Royals lead. In the fifth, they would tack on four more, including a Vinnie Pascentino three run home run, as the Royals.
Speaker 1: Led it six to nothing.
Speaker 7: It remained that way all the way to the seventh inning, and the Dodgers offense couldn't do anything until the seventh inning when Freddy Freeman went deep.
Speaker 8: Now two to one and Freddie swings and hammers won the center field is bell heading back to the wall, he looks up it is gone a home run for Freeman. Freddie's got a solo homer, his first home run since May eleventh at Arizona, and the Dodgers get on the board at six to one.
Speaker 7: Freddy Freeman with the solo home run forty one games without a home run for Freddy, that is his tenth of the year. They got the Dodgers on the board down six to one. The bottom of the inning, though, back came the Royals with three more including if Any Pascentino two run double, Salvador Perez and RBI double.
Speaker 1: Nine to one.
Speaker 7: Royals led the Dodgers and the ninth inning to the top of the inning. Miguel Rojas was out to pitch for the Dodgers the bottom of the orbit. At the top of the ninth inning, the Dodgers offense got going with Max Munsey getting it started.
Speaker 8: Nine to one. Royals leaded. There comes the pitch to Monsey. These swings and lines it the right. That's a base hit. Here comes Kim in the score. Everybody stops going station to station. It's a two out RBI single for Max Monsey, his second hit of the afternoon.
Speaker 3: He's two for four and.
Speaker 2: Monsey just continues to just absolutely pound the baseball.
Speaker 8: Well in the last five games. That's his sixteenth RBI.
Speaker 7: Max Munsey the RBI single, Dodgers down nine to two in the top half of the ninth inning, and then key Ky Hernandez a two run single. Though look now the Dodgers are down nine to four. Then Andy pat has an RBI single that made it a nine five game. Dodgers runners on from Michael Confordo, who grounded out with two outs to end the game.
Speaker 1: In the threat. Dodgers with four in the top of the ninth.
Speaker 7: Made it interesting, but the Royals get the win nine to five. Seth Lugo the victory. Ben Casparagus gets the loss. Dodgers snapped their five game winning streak. Now fifty two and thirty two on this season. They remain six games up in the Padres in the NL West, six and a half games up on the San Francisco Giants and today the rubber game of this three game series.
Speaker 1: Luke Trevino will be the opener.
Speaker 7: When it gets underway, we will start in a weather delay though in Kansas City. Right now we head out to the Galpamotors broadcast booth and as we welcome in Tim Neverritt and Rick Monday.
Speaker 3: Guys, Tim, thank you very much.
Speaker 8: We get you ready for the game today here in Kansas City, the final game of this three game set, last game of the six game road trip to Dodgers four and one in the previous five games. Thunderstorms rolled through Kansas City this morning rained to the early afternoon here today, and we should be okay and on time to play as the Dodgers will send lou Trevino to the mound as an opener. He is three to zero with a four to zero six earn run average. Chris Bubach will go for the Royals. He is six and five the left handed with a two eighteen earned run average. Justin Robleski expected to come in and pitch most of the innings after Trevino is out. Dodgers did make a roster move today designating for assignment Luis Garcia, who pitched in the last two straight games. Noah Davis, who is here on the taxi squad, has been activated and he will be in the bullpen. Dodgers losing yesterday Mo nine to five, but it was much worse than that score would indicate, because the Dodgers put four up in the top of the nineteen.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One good thing that it did come out of it is it Freddy Freeman. And I made mention actually in the pregame shows that I've seen better swings from Freddy Freeman. I thought, well, he get a few hits. Well, he had three hits all, so I had a couple of walks and hit his first home run since the eleventh of May. That's the good news. It was predetermined that Freeman was not going to be in the line of today, so Freddy was on one of the later buses coming today and he's not going to be their kick. Hernanez would be at first base at least at the beginning of the ballgame. But this is a ball club. Two Now, if you look at the Dodgers having won fourteen to the last nineteen games, and they start today six in front of San Diego, six and a half now in front of San Francisco.
Speaker 8: So show Haltani yesterday pitching today, He's just going to hit show Hey through the fastest pitch of his career yesterday, one hundred and one point seven miles per hour. Dave Roberts a short time ago was asked how show Hey is feeling today. He said he hasn't talked to him yet, but he did talk to the trainers and he said he came out of it all right, but they're going to wait and see as far as when his next start is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's going to be I think amazing. Everybody kind of anticipates exactly what's going to be happening. I thought his transition yesterday because I mean comment when I saw him get his eight warm up pitches as he took the mound in the bottom of the first inning, he only threw three strikes, did not throw strike with a breaking bowl, had the inconsistency with the curve bull and the slider in the first inning, even though he got the big double play gun out of it, only one base hit in that opening frame. Second inning, he was a different guy. He nailed everything, including the velocity, the curve bull and the slider. And we also saw a very good splitter.
Speaker 8: Very good, so two innings for him. That was a silver lining in the game yesterday. Today, Kei Key Hernandez starting at first, Miguel Rojas starting at second, both right handed hitters, and Dave telling the press a short time ago that he wants to get those two players, in particular as many advanced as he can against left handed pitcher.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The other part too, is that Tommy Edmund will be in center field, and that's good news because that means that his ankle that they have been concerned about is now getting better to where he can play in center field, play in the outfield. We mentioned this yesterday. We mentioned it also in Denver in Colorado, they talked about a huge field.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's more square footage in the playing surface here in Kansas City than even in kous Field. So it helps to have two very good ankles to cover ground in the outfield.
Speaker 8: Today is the salute to the Negro Leagues game here at Kansas City. The Dodgers will be wearing caps from the Brooklyn Dodgers, while the Royals will be honoring the Kansas City Monarchs and Bob Kendrick, who is the president of the Negro League's Museum here in Kansas City. We talked to him yesterday for quite a bit. He will be on the pregame with David Vasek, and they're.
Speaker 2: Talking about a brand new building in replacing the museum, which is already terrific. And every ball club should go through there at least once every trip.
Speaker 5: That's a great trip.
Speaker 8: Dodgers fifty two and thirty two, the Royals thirty nine and forty four, first pitch on the way to all.
Speaker 7: Right, we will start in a weather delay schedule for eleven ten Pacific, but there's weather in Kansas City, so we will start in a rain delay until it passes through, which it will, and then we'll get this series finale in from Kaufman Stadium. As we cut you down, Dodger fans, get your game day meal on It's Shaky's Pizza Parlor. Yeah, we're your Shaky's Pizza, chicken and mojos right now at shakys dot com. Coming up here on Dodgers on Deck. You're gonna hear from the manager Dave Roberts. Is Tim alluded too. You're gonna hear from Bob Kendrick. Yes, he is the president of the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum in Kansas City. Great guy in charge of a fantastic museum there.
Speaker 1: In Kansas City. More on that coming up.
Speaker 7: We'll get you your pitchy matchup, preview, your magical moment up next to your o Tani rewind. That's all coming up as we lead you up to Dodgers and Royals from Kansas City on this Sunday.
Speaker 1: Thanks for being with us. I'm Tim Katson. This is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers audio.
Speaker 6: Never well, this is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunting game on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 7: Dodgers in Kansas City on this Sundays they wrap up this three game set with the Royals. They finish off this six game road trip that started in Colorado with the sweep of the Rockies. They've split their first two games with the Royals at Kaufman Stadium.
Speaker 1: Luke Trevino will be the opener.
Speaker 7: Justin Robleski will take a bulk of the Indians for the Dodgers. Chris Bubach will go for the Royals first pitch. Schedule for eleven to ten, but it will start in a weather delay because of rain blowing through the Kansas City area. Dodgers looking for their fifty third win of the season.
Speaker 1: Shoe Otani. He put on a show yesterday.
Speaker 3: This is the Otani rewide.
Speaker 2: Scatino starts open stance, wide stance and batt on the left shoulder and pitcher gets ready to deliver. Takes the bat off the shoulder.
Speaker 8: I'm thinging two pitch swung on ground ball to second Ken has it, whips it to bets for one honda first. That's a double playing four six three. Ends the inning, step back, turn and deliver the one two swing and a miss strike three. He got him with a slider. First strikeout for Otani in the game.
Speaker 7: Show Hey Otani got the ground ball double play from Pascantino in the first one hundred and one zero point seven miles per hour, the hardest pitch that show Heo Tani has thrown in his career. Show Heotani with a strikeout as well yesterday and two shutout Indians on the mount at the plate though inn zero for four day for show Heyotani as the Dodgers lost the Royals nine to five. Dodgers Baseball's brought to by Cars for kids. Ready to donate your old car Call eight seven to seven Cars for Kids right now. Friendly agents standing by to take your donation. That's Cars with the K to donate your car today, still to come here. On Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, David Vasse goes one on one with Bob Kendrick, president of the Negro League's Baseball.
Speaker 1: Museum in Kansas City.
Speaker 7: We got your injury report next and we get the pregame. Thought to the manager, Dave Roberts. So I'll lead up to Dodgers and Royals in Kansas City. I'm Tim Kates, is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on your home for the Blue all season long long.
Speaker 7: Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck continues on this Sunday as we lead you up to first pitch Dodgers and the Royals Marongo Casino Resort and Spa a Grand Slam of four good times. Luke Trevino will be the opener for the Dodgers. Justin Robleski will take a bulk of the innings. Chris Bubich will go for the Royals. First pitch from Kaufmin Stadium was scheduled for eleven to ten, but the weather delay will prevent that from starting on time. We'll keep you updated on an ETA for first pitch, but the game will not start in time.
Speaker 1: From Kansas City.
Speaker 6: He's the LA Dodgers Injury.
Speaker 7: Report presented by UCLA Healthy Official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Tony Gonslin on the sixty day IL with the right elbow soreness. Tyler Glass now on the IL with shoulder inflammation. He has made two Minor league rehab starts in Oklahoma City. Dave Roberts yesterday alluding to a third is in store for Tyler Glass now before they re evaluate him in coming back to the Dodgers' rotation. Blake Snell on the IL with the shoulder inflammation. He threw yesterday at Dodger Stadium at bullpen session Blake tring and also yesterday at Dodger Stadium with the team away in Kansas City through in front of coaches. He is recovering from right forearm tightness. A rookie Sasaki on the IL continues to progress. He's out with the right shoulder impingement. Bruce dar Graterol still trying to figure out when an Eta is for him to return, but on the il all season with the right place shoulder injury. All Right, we head back out to Kansas City and hear from the Dodger manager.
Speaker 1: Any questions for Dave?
Speaker 5: Dave? Can you just describe Dave? Can you talk about the pressure.
Speaker 6: In the dugouts with Dave Robberts?
Speaker 4: Dave, you got a bullpen game today? Is that a better case scenario considering the weather right now?
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, it's a little kind of we're in a holding pattern right now. Hopefully we start on time, but yeah, having Lou open for us, obviously you don't have to get that starter as much time before.
Speaker 5: So I feel good about that.
Speaker 9: And obviously Robo is going to take the bulk of the game and we see where we go from there.
Speaker 4: How did the conversation go with Freddy? He seemed to concede after the game yesterday.
Speaker 9: Yeah, no, I think that sticking with kind of the plan that we have talked about and not be in reactionary over a game is the best way to go about it.
Speaker 5: It was good to see him get on base five times.
Speaker 9: Feel good, and you know, the mind the body taking a couple of days.
Speaker 5: I think there's only upside.
Speaker 10: With the hay song kind of falling up on yesterday, with Tommy being able to play the outfield, Do you think that opens up more playing time for him being able to play at second, like a position that he's you know, more comfortable at.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I do.
Speaker 9: I think that, you know, as we look out, I think that picking days because Tommy can now we feel good about Tommy playing the outfield, giving Tail a day here there, giving Andy a day here or there just kind of opens things up for hay Soong. So yeah, I think that's a good thing.
Speaker 10: Are there things he's still kind of like adjusting to at the big league level with this swing, even with like this the results that he's had, but just kind of like moderating his playing time some to kind of allow him to keep getting acclimated up here. Is that kind of part of the plan.
Speaker 5: A little bit.
Speaker 9: I think that he is doing everything he can to stay prepared, be prepared. He studies all the information that we get is translated, and so he's a very good student of the game. I think that he obviously eliminated the leg kick in spring training and I think that's been beneficial.
Speaker 5: He's handling velocity.
Speaker 9: Certainly at times he can be susceptible to spin down below. But I think even with that, he does a good job adjusting when pictures are trying to do that to him. So I see adjustments in within in at bat. So, like I said, you know, a couple of weeks ago, he's earning more opportunities, opportunities, and he's going to continue to get.
Speaker 7: Him He just started once and last week ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, earning the opportunities, but is it hard to find them?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 9: No, we had a bunch of lefties too, so I think that we also got to dig a little bit into kind of our roster, who's on the roster, who's we're facing. So I think I think the one week snapshot, I don't think it's fair.
Speaker 7: All Right, There's a manager, Dave Roberts, talking about his pitching staff, talking about Shoyotani and of course the plan for today with Justin Robleski scheduled to be the bulk inning guy for the Dodgers. Once this game gets underway again, it will not start on time from Coffin Stadium and Kansas City a rain delay there the weather a factor today on this Sunday, but they expect it to blow through. At what point we'll first pitch happen. We'll keep you updated, but it will not start as scheduled at eleven ten am Pacific. But we continue here on wrong with Casino Dodgers on deck. We will check back in with David Veasse. We're leading you up to Dodgers and Royals on this Sunday.
Speaker 1: Thanks for being with us. I'm Tim kase Is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: As we were saying, yes, is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck on the official home of LA Dodgers' Baseball.
Speaker 7: It's the Dodgers and the Royals from Kansas City. First pitch scheduled for eleven ten am Pacific, but that will not happen. A weather delay in Kansas City has already been announced rain and in the area. They have said that they are gonna wait to get this game underway, wait for this weather system to blow through Kansas City before they get this final game of the series underway. From Kaufman Stadium. Lou Trevino is the opener. Justin Robleski. As you heard Dave Roberts allude to will take down a bulk of the Indians. Chris Bubach will go for the Royals. We'll break down this pitching matchup coming up.
Speaker 6: But first, joining Tim Kats on Dodgers on deck.
Speaker 4: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 6: This is Dodger insider.
Speaker 7: David d now joins us from Kansas City. David, it's the rubber game of this three game set. Freddie Freeman not in the line of today.
Speaker 4: No, and that's something to Dave Roberts was considering yesterday because they're facing one of the best left handers in the American League today. Freddie was struggling up until the point of yesterday's game, where he was able to collect three hits beyond base five times, including hitting his first home run since May eleventh back in Arizona. I had a chance to catch up with Freddy after the game yesterday and we talked about him breaking out and also the possibility of getting today off.
Speaker 11: I've been grinding obviously this whole months. To finally see some results after all the extra work and hard work that's been going into to my swing, it's definitely nice. So hopefully we can build off this Unfortunately this game is not a guaranteed game, but at least to step in the right direction.
Speaker 4: Dave said that maybe it might be good for you to take a day off, but after today, do you feel like you convinced him that's out of the equation on.
Speaker 11: No, we have a meeting before the game that I was having tomorrow off, but we'll see.
Speaker 1: I would assume it's still stick to the.
Speaker 11: Plan and good a day and then have another day off, and then two days in a row. It could be good just for the overall body, and then you know, head into the last couple weeks of the first half fresh.
Speaker 4: In this stretch, it seemed like you were already had two strikes on you.
Speaker 11: Today you were ahead and all the accounts. Was that important to the equation? It was, That's not what I was doing. I was just trying to get my foot down a lot sooner than I have been. It felt like my timing has been a little off, a little late and started so that was the only thing I was trying to do today and some results happened. So if it's Tuesday, hopefully we can carry it over.
Speaker 4: It will be Tuesday against the White Sox when Freddy's back in the starting lineup, and you heard him say it was the timing with his front foot. And I'm sure you've heard this before. Tim hitters talk about having a strong front foot, having your foot down when you're ready to swing, and that's a big timing mechanism. Don't forget Freddie Freeman's front foot is his right foot, which he had surgery on that right ankle, So I'm sure you know time to time, and this one was a longer extended stretch right ankle may have been affecting the timing of getting that front foot down.
Speaker 7: David is brought to by the twenty twenty five to four one to fifty from California's best selling truck brand. It's time to see Ford in a new light, take advantage of employee pricing through the end of June. Tommy Edmund looking at the lineup today, David not at second base, but he's back in center field.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess right ankles are contagious around the Dodgers. But Tommy Edmund was on the il last year before they acquired him, and after they acquired him, still was kind of rehabilitating that right ankle that he injured. On a rehab assignment last year with the Cardinals, and it flared up this season when he was running from second to third in the second home stand of the year, And that's part of the reason why Tommy Edmund's been relegated to second base. Him being in center field, Edmund told me after the game yesterday, is a great sign because his right ankle is fully or as close to fully healthy to be able to move around around and play second base and play center field. So that's a great sign for the Dodgers because Tommy Edmond's value is being versatile and being an elite defender at second base, shortstop, in center field. So him being able to move off a second base allows the Dodgers to be able to move Hay Sung Kim against righty's Rojas today against lefties, and just be able to move the pieces and get so many of their talented players in games more often than not.
Speaker 7: All right, David Gray, stuffil check back here with you just a little bit. Coming up here on Morago Casino, Dodgers on deck will dive deeper.
Speaker 1: You know what this pitching matchup is gonna look like.
Speaker 7: But up next your Dodgers magical moment Dodgers Royals from Kansas.
Speaker 1: City on this Sunday.
Speaker 7: I'm Tim kase Is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers audio note.
Speaker 6: Well, this is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunter's game on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 7: It's the Dodgers and the Royals from Kansas City. Luke Trevino the opener. Justin Robleski will take down a bulk of the Indians. Chris Bubach will go for the Royals. He was one of the worst pitchers in baseball three years ago. He has reinvented himself into one of the best pitchers in the American League, with an ERA in the top ten in the American League. First pitch from Kaufin Stadium was scheduled for eleven ten am Pacific, but we will start in a way Arrain de lay as the weather is a factor there in Kansas City. They expected to blow through. The game will happen, but just not scheduled on time.
Speaker 5: I go to.
Speaker 6: Hot Dog who wants a hot cod It's time for the Hawfey Magical Moment. Ditch Magical presented by Hawby Hot Jogs.
Speaker 7: Ah we go back thirty five years June twenty ninth, nineteen ninety.
Speaker 1: Feels like yesterday.
Speaker 7: Fernando allen Zuela taking on the Saint Louis Cardinals.
Speaker 1: It was a night Dodger fans will always remember.
Speaker 12: Fernando Ready in the strike two pitch, his head back to the box, dribbling the second Samuel on the.
Speaker 8: Bag cross the first double play.
Speaker 12: Fernando Valenzuela has pitched a no hitter at ten seventeen in the evening of June the twenty ninth, nineteen ninety.
Speaker 8: If you have a sombrero, throw it to the sky.
Speaker 7: Fernando Valenzuela with the Noah hitter. He was pitching a complete game that day, allowing no hits only three walks. He struck out seven against the Saint Louis Cardinals. The game ended with the double play. Pedro Guerrero, a former teammate, grounded the ball to second base Juan Samuel Field that stepped on the bag and forced out Willie McGee, then threw it over to first for the double play, and you heard Vince Goes legendary call of the final out. If you have a sombrero, throw it to the sky, one of the most famous calls in baseball history. That is our Haffey Magical moment, brought to you by Hoffey hot Dogs, haffe So Cow's local treasure for nearly one hundred years. Haffey hot Dogs, Local and so great. Will we continue here on Dodgers on Deck. We'll head back out to the k in Kansas City Coffin Stadium. Checking with Rick Monday for leading you up to Dodgers or Royals, which will start in a rain delay. I'm Tim Kass, the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on your home for the Blue all.
Speaker 7: Season Low Dodgers wrapping up this road trip and Kansas City on this Sunday. First pitch is being delayed because of rain in Kansas City. Whether a factor today was not a fact after in the first two games of this series at Kaufman Stadium. But they're going to delay the start just to make sure that weather system blows through and this game can get underway in kids entirety. Luke Trevino the opener, Justin Rubuski will take down a bulk of the innings for the Dodgers. Chris Bubach, we'll go for the Royals first pitch schedule for eleven to ten, but again we will start in a rain delay.
Speaker 6: First and now joined by David Basse. Here's La Dodgers broadcastre and World Series champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 4: All right, Rick, you believed in Freddie Freeman. He told us before the game yesterday that even though he was hit lists, he was starting to show signs of coming out of this slump. And then, well, ah, yesterday a big day.
Speaker 2: I got a phone call from a friend of mine last night after the ball games, got back in the hotel and he goes, hey, did you buy a lottery ticket?
Speaker 5: I would know why.
Speaker 2: He says, well, you predicted Freeman who was going to get some hints, and he got three, including the home run. So yeah, that was kind of a fun and for Freddy Freeman, the first home run since the eleventh of May. Didn't really talk to him today, but we were on the same bus coming to the ballpark and he's not in the lineup. I think sometimes Roberts is kind of agreeing that you have to use a bulldozer to hook up to a Freddie Freeman to keep him out of the lineup. But something they talked about and not in the lineup today is a little bit different lineup with the lefty going for the Royals. Dodgers of course trying to make it two out of three, and David, you understand very well the Dodgers like to have happy flights, especially going home.
Speaker 4: No doubt, and that would be a great road trip to win five games out of six in Denver and Kansas.
Speaker 2: I'm going to ask you a question because you have been doing dual roles here in Kansas City, both on the radio side and that you've been doing television, and I bring that up on the TV because you are at the far.
Speaker 5: End of the dugout.
Speaker 2: What's it like down there because normally you're kind of perched up in the with the media in seeing it. It's a different game down there. I'd want your opinion on something I say all the time. The closer you get to the field, even as a fan, you understand the speed of this game. When you're sitting very comfortably far away, it looks like maybe it's in slow motion, but it's closer you get, and you can't get any closer than what you are in the game down there.
Speaker 5: This game is it happens fast. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And the best example of that, Rick, is the first game of this series. MIKEL. Garcia, the third baseman for the Royals, has been playing great defense there and robbing a lot of Dodger hints. And when Taoscar Hernandez was robbed in the first game of this series one hundred and eleven miles an hour off the bat, I mean, you have a greater appreciation for just how quick catlike quickness you have to have at what they call the hot corner.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then sometimes if you're the guy that hit the ball, then sometimes you get back to the dugout and you yell at the guy, especially if you know him, and say, hey, what the heck you doing? There are sometimes that you just feel like you have buzzard luck. You know, nothing really works for you.
Speaker 4: Another appreciation, Rick, And you experienced this in a more extreme way playing in these stadiums with AstroTurf. But the first two games of this series, I mean it's eighty seven ninety degrees up here and in the stands, but on the field you can add at least eight degrees to the temperature.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're gonna have to hydrate all the guy's gonna have to hydrate today because the temperature is going to be and we're gonna have heat index tonight and the humidity on top because it rained earlier this morning. In fact, when the ball club arrived, the infield was still covered with the tark So yeah, it's going to be steamy afternoon. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.
Speaker 4: Tommy Edmonds in center field today, Ricky told me after the game yesterday, this is about his right ankle feeling much better for him to play the outfield.
Speaker 2: And it's a perfect time because it allows Dave robertson the ball club to have more dimension, is what they're going to be doing, and moving Edmund to the center field, it gives you another option to have him moving around Kim at second base and it's going to be at first base today. It just gives you the depth. And that's one of the strong points the Dodgers coming off the bench, being able to really manipulate defensively different players in different spots.
Speaker 4: And Dave Roberts conceded after the game yesterday as well, this is a huge outfield and when you have ta Oscar Hernandez and Michael Conforto in the corners, they're not fleet a foot.
Speaker 2: In fact, here's a bit of information for you. Everybody talks about how large Coors Field is in Denver, and we just left there. There's more square footage on the playing surface here in Kansas City than in Denver, Colorado.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it kind of feels that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean it is a big, big ballpark, and there's a lot of ground to cover, and including some foul territory, not foul territory immediately the lascow five six feet down the line, but getting to that line, there's a lot of area to kind of roam around.
Speaker 4: All right, Rick, you'll roam around here in the broadcast booth.
Speaker 2: Hey, how about a happy flight back to LA.
Speaker 4: That would be great. I feel it coming. We'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 1: Tim, all right, thanks a lot DV. Thanks to lot mode.
Speaker 7: Dodgers Baseball is going to be delayed, as we were scheduled for an eleven to ten first pitch.
Speaker 1: That is not gonna happen.
Speaker 7: As the guys were just talking about the weather there, it is played a factor. Tarm's still on the field. We will start in the delay. That's the Dodgers game plan. Dodger fans, you need a plan too, how about starting your future to California Community College. Financial aid is available to help you in tuition, books, and sometimes even the rent. It's time to take that next big step. Classes can fill up quickly, so in role today and I can go to college dot com. Coming up here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll dive deeper into what this pitching matchup's going to look like. Tim and Rick will be back as well before we head to Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: A rain delayed Dodger Talk. But up next, don't go anywhere.
Speaker 7: David Vassa goes one on one with Bob Kendrick, president of the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, located there in Kansas City, Missouri.
Speaker 1: That's next.
Speaker 7: As we lead you up to Dodgers and Royals on this Sunday, I'm Tim Kasey's the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 7: Dodgers and the Royals from Kaufman Stadium in Kansas City.
Speaker 1: First pitch will be delayed.
Speaker 7: Dodger fans scheduled for eleven to ten this morning, but because of rain and weather blowing through Kansas City right now, the first pitch will be pushed back to TBD. As far as win this game will get underway, but it will Luke Trevino will be the opener. Justin Robleski will take a bulk of the Indians. Chris Bubitch, who's been one of the best pitchers for Kansas City this season, will go for the Royals. Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Zenchi Sushi. How about enjoying it during this rain delay or during the game later on.
Speaker 1: It's quick and affordable meal.
Speaker 7: The whole family can enjoy Zench handcrafted sushi made fresh onsite daily by professionally trained sushi chefs with precision passion in a tradition. You can taste it in every by Hey Tunor Roles, Salmon Rules, Timper shrimp roles. They got the platters, They got the mango crunchy dragon roll that's my favorite. Of course, they got the polk bowls as well. They got different things for different occasions. See it all near the deli counter at Ralph's. Zenschi handcrafted Sushi always fast, fresh.
Speaker 6: And easy and now what will likely be vast fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 1: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 6: This is high and tight.
Speaker 4: We're joining right now by a very special man, a man that is keeping the voices alive of the Negro Leagues. And he is the president of the Negro League Museum. He is the best dressed man in Kansas City. That's the one and only Bob Kendrick. Bob, thanks a lot for joining us.
Speaker 13: Oh Dave, it's great to see you, man, Thanks so much for having me on the show.
Speaker 4: Well, the franchise of Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella, Don Newcomb, just to name a few. I mean, it is special to come to Kansas City and see the museum.
Speaker 13: Well, and there's a bridge between the two cities because a lot of people don't know they did. Jackie Robinson's illustrious professional baseball career began right here in Kansas City with the great Kansas City Monarchs in nineteen forty five in the Negro Leagues.
Speaker 3: Now, he was only here for five months, but.
Speaker 13: As I tell people, the five months he's spent in Kansas City, he fell in love with everything that Kansas City is famous for barbecue and jazz.
Speaker 8: I love that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jackie was a big man of jazz and baseball and all that. And Roy Campanella three time MVP. He was a big player in the negro Leagues as well.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 13: Noah and the Dodgers had a litany of great stars that came out of the negro Leagues. Camp He joined the team in the negro Leagues called the Baltimore Elite Giants. Now it's spelled Elite, but it's pronounced elite because you make those negro leaguers mad if you call him the Elite Giants. Well, Campy joins the elites as a fifteen year old catcher.
Speaker 3: Can you believe a fifteen year old kid catching professionally.
Speaker 13: In the negro Leagues? But as I tell my guests, he was not your typical fifteen year old. He was a fifteen year old man style, but he was fifteen nevertheless, and the great Raleigh biss MACKI took him under his wing and taught him the art of catching. And I don't have to tell Dodger fans Roy Campanella will become a three time MVP with the Brooklyn Dodgers before a tragic car accident left him paralyzed and cut short what was still a Hall of Fame career.
Speaker 4: When we come to the Negro League Museum and you tell the stories of the negro Leagues, are you mesmerized as much as we are, even though you've told the stories many times?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 3: Man, this never just old for me. It doesn't.
Speaker 13: And every time I get a young athlete of any sports discipline, but particularly my young Major League Baseball players, it just fills me with great joy to walk them through that museum, to share the stories, many of these stories that the lay great Buck O'Neil and other legendary negro leaguers shared with me, And in doing so, I feel like I'm keeping them alive in my mind and in my heart.
Speaker 3: But the thing that I yeah, the threat that they.
Speaker 13: Have with those who played in the negro Leagues israel simple love of the game. You play this game because you love it. And I know sometimes as fans we can get a little fickle because we equate everything to money, and so these guys are afforded an opportunity to make a great living, but.
Speaker 3: It's still about love of the game.
Speaker 13: They are still playing a game that they played for free, and if they had to play it for free, they would still play it for free. But as I remind them, you will never see a greater example of love of the game than you do when you walk through the Negro League's Baseball Museum. They had to love it in order to endure the things that they had to endure.
Speaker 4: What's the lasting legacy of Jackie Robinson with the Negro Leagues and just how special is it for him to be not only the face of American sports history, but American history period.
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 13: Well, you know, we take great pride that Kansas City and the Negro Leagues gave a merrit arguably its greatest hero in Jackie Robinson. And for those who subscribe to the belief that one individual cannot invoke change, well you need to look no further than Jackie Roosevelt Robinson. Because when he walked out on that field as a member of the Brooklyn Dodgers, he was called everything but my mother would say, but a child of God when he walked out there, and he handled himself with such grace, class and dignity. But the other side of the ledger is that he was also shouldering the weight of twenty one million black folks who were counting on him to succeed. Yeah, and that's an enormous amount of pressure for any one individual to have to bear, and he did it with tremendous grace, class, and dignity. We should never forget Jackie Robinson, and Baseball has made it such. The Dodger organization has made it such that baseball fans likely won't ever forget Jackie Robinson. And certainly as long as that museum is there operating here in Kansas City, his story will all always be at the forefront. But so will those other trail blazers, those who built the bridge that allowed Jackie to cross over and for others to then follow right behind him.
Speaker 4: Before I let you go, show Hay Otani one of the greatest players we've ever seen in Major League Baseball, was there anybody like Otani and the Negro leagues?
Speaker 13: Well, the thing that I love about this phenom by the name of shoe hey Atani is that it has opened up the opportunity for me to talk about the great two way stars of the Negro leagues. And so when Shoe Hay first gets here to play in the major leagues, everyone was saying, Babe brute. But in my opinion, Babe Ruth is a wrong comparison. The real comparison is to a guy named Wilber Bullet Rogan, who was a star pitcher for the Kansas City Monarchs. He is in the National Baseball Hall of Fame. But when Bullet Rogan wasn't pitching and he was a dominant pitcher, he played the outfield and hit cleanup for the Kansas City Monarchs. Now let me tell you, you don't just hit clean up for the Kasity.
Speaker 3: You've got to be able to rake.
Speaker 13: And in the words of the immortal Leroy Satchel Page, in the beautiful vernacular of Leroy Satchel Page, who said that Bullet Rogan is the onliest ballplayer I ever heard of. I've ever seen that pitch and hit in the clean up position. That was Robert Bullet Joe Rogan.
Speaker 4: All right, we got a parallel to show. Hey, Otani, I knew you would have the answer to that.
Speaker 13: Yeah no, But you know, I, like the rest of us, I'm a baseball fan. We marvel at what sho he has done. And it also gives me an opportunity to talk about that connection between the Negro Leagues and Japan because the Negro Leagues go to Japan in nineteen twenty seven. Man, that's seven years before Babe Ruth and it's all Americans go. And they've been commonly credited with having taken our brand of professional baseball to the Japanese, but it's not true. If it was a team called the Philadelphia Royal Giants, they go over to Japan in nineteen twenty seven, they play a twenty four game ex submission series. They go twenty three to one on that tour, and if you were to talk to the older Japanese baseball historian, they will tell you that it was that tour and a subsequent tour by that same Philadelphia Royal Giant that was the spark that lit the flame that is now the fire for professional baseball in Japan. And it's certainly played a role in why we were able to get stars such as Hideo Nomo, my dear friend, Ichiro Suzuki, who's about to be inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame, and of course this phenom by the name of Shohei Antani.
Speaker 3: The Negro Leagues play a pivotal role.
Speaker 13: They helped make our game the global game that it is today. They just never were given credit for it.
Speaker 4: That's why the Negro League can never be forgotten and it never will be forgotten because Bob Kendrick has continued to tell the story of the great Negro Leagues and the Negro League Museum Hall of Fame is one place that you have to come to and see our good friend Bob Kendrick when you come to Kansas City. Thanks a lot for the time, and man, the best stressed guy in Kansas City.
Speaker 3: Thank you, No, it is my pleasure.
Speaker 13: I want to thank all those Dodger fans who filled up the museum over this weekend series. Thank you guys for coming by and seeing us. Thank you for your support, and thank you for the opportunity to be on the show.
Speaker 4: Hey we love Bob Kendrick. Thanks a lot for the time, Bob, and hey we love the stories.
Speaker 7: All right there, he is the great Bob Kendrick, President of the Negro League's Baseball Museum in Kansas City, Missouri.
Speaker 1: It is a must see if you.
Speaker 7: Are in the area, and a lot of Dodger fans in Kansas City this weekend making the road trip there and as Bob said, checking out the museum as well. Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Shakey's Pizza Parler, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers Audio Broadcast. When it's game day, it's group day at Shaky's dot Com. We'll lead you up to first pitch. Whenever it happens, it will start in a weather delay. Dodgers and Royals will break down what will be the pitching matchup?
Speaker 1: Next?
Speaker 7: I'm Tim Kayson's the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunting game on your home for La Dodgers Faceball hits.
Speaker 7: The Dodgers and the Royals, final game of this three game set from Kaufman Stadium. The rain, the lay is real as the weather blows through right now, the wind, the rain as we speak at Kaufman Stadium, as they are experienced some bad weather that is blowing through. They expected to blow through and we'll get this game underway at some point whenever it does.
Speaker 1: Here's the pitching matchup.
Speaker 6: And now before the Dodgers hit the dining we look at the pitching.
Speaker 7: Matchupresent about your southern California. Toyota dealers work hard and play hard at a New Tacoma with an I Force turbo charts engine. It's a truck built for the bulls. See your Toyota dealer today. They make it easy. Chris Bubach on the mound for the Royals. Interesting story six and five to eighteen ERA. Twenty seven year old left hander out of Stanford made his major league debut in twenty two twenty.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty two, he.
Speaker 7: Was one of the worst pitchers in the major leagues three and thirteen with an ERA over five and a half in one hundred and twenty nine Indians. He had the worst on base percentage against major league pitchers at three eighty one, the highest whip, he give the highest percentage of line drives twenty five percent, and gave up the most walks per nine innings amongst major league pitchers. But then he had Tommy John surgery in twenty twenty three. It's almost like that movie about the kid in Chicago who breaks his arm and comes back and becomes the rookie of the Year for the Cubs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, almost like that.
Speaker 7: After Tommy John surgery, Chris Bubach comes back and.
Speaker 1: You look at before.
Speaker 7: He was ten and twenty eight and seventy career appearances with the forty five e after Tommy John surgery, forty two outings fifteen starts. Since coming back, he has over five hundred win loss rec and a two thirty RORA, which is sixth best in the major leagues during his return. Guys like Paul Skens, Hunter Green, Chris Sale, Jacob de Grom also in that same category. So he has been a completely different pitcher coming back from Tommy John surge. I'm not sure what they did to that elbow, but they have made him one of the best pitchers in baseball. He was the pitcher of the Month of the American League in the month of May. Five starts, three to zero a sub one ERA last time out, six highties, four runs, eight hits, eight strikeouts, though in a loss to the Razes his first time facing the Dodgers. Luke Trevino will be the opener when this game eventually gets underway. Thirty three year old right hander one and two at the two eighty nine ERA. Six seasons of the big leagues are really July drafted by the A's in twenty thirteen eighteenth appearance with the Dodgers, last pitched on Friday, out of the bullpen and inning in two thirds, one hit, no runs, one strikeout. He picked up the victory over the Royals on Friday night. When he goes, it'll be Justin Robleski to follow as the bulk innings guy, and he has been great. The twenty four year old left hander. He is a starter, bulke inting guy.
Speaker 1: Today. He can do it all and give you some length.
Speaker 7: This is his fit appearings in June, six innings against the Cardinals, four to thirty innings against the Giants, five innings against the Padres, and last time out five innings against the Rockies on Tuesday at Corra's Field.
Speaker 1: So he can give you length. He is a starter who was built up.
Speaker 7: He allowed just two runs in his last auting wall two hits and striking out seven against Colorado again last Tuesday. So to be Luke Trevino the opener, Justin Robleski to follow Chris Bubach who has reinvented himself with the Kansas City Royals, Dodgers and Royals. First bitch will be delayed. We'll come back and get you ready to get it out there to Kansas City and get you an updates Dodgers and Royals, Dodgers looking to finish off the series win.
Speaker 1: I'm Tip kateson.
Speaker 7: This is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 6: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on tap on your home for the Blue all season long.
Speaker 7: It's the Dodgers and the Kansas City Royals, final game of this three game set, final game of the six game road trip. And what a road trip it has been for the Dodgers, having taken all three games in Colorado against the Rockies, and they went to Kansas City when the series opener on Friday night dropped the tough one yesterday to the Royals, snapping their five game winning streak. Today's game will get played, just won't start on time for those of you tuning in expecting to hear the first inning coming up. We will start in a rain delay because of whether they're at Kaufman Stadium. A rain cell moving through the area and it's a big one. It is dark, it is windy, it is rainy right now in Kansas City, but they expect it to blow through and we'll get nine innings of baseball coming up when it does. The Dodgers starting the day in the National League West at fifty two and thirty two, six games up on the Padres, six and a half games up on the San Francisco Giant. The Padres are in action right now in Cincinnati taking on the Reds. No score in that game, that one is in the second inning. And meanwhile the San Francisco Giants are in Chicago and they are just about to get underway with the White Sox. So we'll keep you up to day throughout the day on what's happening elsewhere around the National League West. Coming up, we'll have a Dodger Talk coming in between the pregame here and when this first pitch gets underway in Kansas City, So stay tuned for that here on the Dodgers Audio Network. But when we come back, we will send it back out to Kaufin Stadium. Gets you the latest with Tim Neverritt and Rick Monday. Find out what the weather is looking like, the tarp on the field, the weather blowing through.
Speaker 1: Will get the very latest with the guys in the booth. Next, this has been Morongo
Speaker 7: Casino Dodgers on deck on the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network