Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: And it's not just any wake up call. It's your Friday morning wake up call. April eighteenth is the day. Amy King is the person that's me. But you're here to start your day and get a jumpstart on the weekend. I don't know about you. I'm going to Disneyland, yep, haven't been for I don't know two weeks.
Speaker 5: You're dressed for it.
Speaker 6: You're dressed for it.
Speaker 1: I am dressed for it. I have my Spirit jersey on. I'm ready to go. And it's because it's the last weekend of the Food and Wine Festival at California Adventure and and we got some of those the little sip and saber passes that you buy and then you kind of it's basically you're buying coupons ahead of time, and we got to go use them because it's over.
Speaker 4: So there's seemed to be eating.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so we'll be doing that later today. But here's what's at hand. For right now, because we got a lot to get to. Here's what's ahead on wake up call. A re sentencing hearing for Eric and Lyle Menendez has been postponed indefinitely. Defense attorney Mark Gergos is expected to seek to recuse the DA's office from the case in a motion's hearing that's now scheduled for May ninth. UCLA students and faculty have protested on campus after an international grad student was detained at the US Mexico border. UCLA officials say the student was detained by Customs and Border Protection Wednesday night while trying to cross the border from Mexico into the United States. The son of a sheriff's deputy's been arrested for allegedly killing to people and injuring five others on the campus of Florida State University. The FSU police chief says the twenty year old shooter is a student at Florida State and used his mom's gun in the shooting. We'll get the latest on the shooting, more about who did it, and if we have any answers to the ever present question of why, with ABC's Josh Margolan. That's in about three minutes. The US and Russia have been talking about the possibility of peace in Ukraine. In Paris, ABC Shannon Kingston's going to join us to let us know if the US is ready to give up on talks. That's at five twenty. Everyone loves a good makeover, right well. The host of Home, Dean Sharp, joins us to give us some tips on how you can do it to your house. That's at five thirty five. And then at five point fifty ABC's Willgans is going to join us to tell us about what he calls the sweetest movie of the year, and I don't think it has to do with Easter chocolate. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The Menendez brothers resentencing hearing has been delayed indefinitely, which means the hearing that was scheduled for today has been canceled.
Speaker 7: D A.
Speaker 1: Nathan Hawkman wants the brothers to remain in prison because he says they haven't shown remorse for murdering their parents. The defense says the brothers were sexually abused by their father and the mother knew about it. Lyell and Eric's lawyer has lashed out at the DA because of a delay and the brother's resentencing hearing.
Speaker 3: Defense attorney Mark Errago says Elie County DA Nathan Hackman is so biased against the convicted killers he'll follow motion to have the prosecutor removed from the case. Hawkman says it's not biased, just facts from the nineteen ninety six murder of the Menindez parents in Beverly Hills.
Speaker 8: The nineties fact are the ones that we're pointing out have continued all the way to this present day.
Speaker 3: The judge says he'll hear the recusal motion on May ninth, along with considering whether to admit a State Parole Board's risk assessment report that Hawkman was given, but the other side and the judge weren't. Michael Monks KFI.
Speaker 1: News News brought to you by Simper. Solaris Lawyers have released a new video they see shows the exact moments SoCal Edison's equipment sparked the deadly fire in Altadena. Cafi's Mark Mayfield says the video presented yesterday was made from footage shot by Fortney fourteen witnesses.
Speaker 9: Flashes of light can be seen at a decommissioned call Edison Tower near Eaton Canyon, then Moulten material is shown moving downhill. Drybrush under the tower started burning twelve seconds into the initial witness video.
Speaker 1: An attorney claims Edison botched the deactivation of an idle power line, which led to the fire. In January, a motorcycle rider's been shot and killed by police in Newport Beach. Cafe's Daniel Martindale says it happened during a traffic stop last night on Pcach Your.
Speaker 3: Whole Hospital in Newport Beach.
Speaker 10: Police say the suspect became uncooperative during the traffic stop. He was rushed to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead. It's unclear what exactly prompted officers to open fire.
Speaker 1: Police did not release other details about the shooting. They also didn't say if the rider had a weapon. Tens of thousands of music fans are expected to head to Indio for the second weekend of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival. Performers this weekend include Lady Gaga, Travis Scotton, Post Malone. They're actually headlining Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Senator Bernie Sanders made a surprise appearance last weekend a lot of people complained last time about waiting for hours in long lines just to get into the camping area. Festival organizers say they've added more tool plausas for this weekend's event to avoid a repeat of those waits. We shall see. Let's say good morning to ABC's Josh Margolan. Josh, can you give us the latest stone what happened yesterday at Florida State University with that mass shooting.
Speaker 5: Beautiful day, early early summer in Florida and a gunman that twenty years old suspect, according to police, right near the student union, squares off and fires. There's no clear We don't clearly know what the motive was. As of yesterday, they said they were still looking for it. We know the suspect has a history of mental problems, mental challenges ADHD, he had been medicated, He was the subject of a really protracted, ugly custody battle between his biological parents. But we don't know what all led to this occurring yesterday as classes for the semester are starting to wind down at one of the biggest universities in Florida.
Speaker 1: Do we know, Josh, was he on medication at the time. You'd said that he had been in.
Speaker 5: The past, so that information is not known, and it's not entirely clear whether we'll know that for sure because of privacy rules. So the first thing is the gunman. The suspected gunman was shot by police after refusing to surrender, was injured. He will survive, not like threatening injuries, so there will be a prosecution going forward'll be charged. So I don't know if we'll know that that type of medical information because that type of stuff tends to be closely held for somebody unless they die in these incidents. But we do know he has a history, and we also do know, interestingly, it's a terrible point of interest here that his stepmother is a career shriff's deputy in that community, and that one of the guns allisuedly used in the crime yesterday was one of her weapons that she had gotten from work.
Speaker 1: Okay, and so that was the stepmom and officials have already come out in support of the deputy. Could she be in trouble because her son got her hands on the gun even though he's twenty, He's.
Speaker 5: Not a kid, right, So the question will be it was not the gun that she actually uses day in and day out. Right now. It's a buyer service weapon. There's a routine in a lot of law enforcement agencies where people have a service weapon and their agency wants to get them a new one, upgraded or something where they're allowed to keep the older weapon or buy the older weapon because gun owners tend to like the comfort of a weapon they've used for a while. So this was hers. The question always is and this is no different. How did the alleged shooter get the weapon? Was the weapon properly secured? That will definitely be part of the investigation. They've already said it. They've come out in favor of the stepmother, the sheriff's deputy, which is pretty standard among law enforcement to say that she's got a good record and well regarded, and we don't have any reason to doubt that. But they will want to see where was the gun being kept in the home. Should the step son have had access? A history of mental challenges could conceivably preclude somebody from getting access to handguns, So they're going to want to look at all of that.
Speaker 1: Okay, And the two people who were killed yesterday, I had seen that they were not students.
Speaker 5: Right, so they are not students. The question, very key question that we still don't have answers to just yet. Hopefully we'll have more today. Were these people that were shot killed at and injured, were they targeted or was this a random shooting? And that's going to be critical. We don't know. We do know that the two people who died tragically were not students. Are they support staff? Are they cafeteria staff, maintenance staff, faculty administrators, We don't have that information. This occurred near the student union, so we all know how a student union operates. There's going to be restaurants, and there's going to be maybe a fitness club inside, and there's obviously going to be maintenance personnel, and professors are floating in and out, and administrators are floating in and out. So fairly, you know, densely populated portion of a big campus.
Speaker 1: Okay, And so what's next. They're going to probably scour social media and try to figure out what happened, because you said he stopped, squared up and started shooting.
Speaker 5: Right, So that's been going on since yesterday. He does not seem to have a that big a social media presence. There was some They will obviously be trying to piece together his final hours and days. Who did he interact with? They have his vehicle, so cars have a wealth of information now because they're so high tech. Where did he go, who did he talk to? Was there some type of triggering event? You know, we've seen in the past that triggering events could be anything from a small blow up at home with the parents, could be financial problems, could be a loss of a job. I mean, this is all just hypothetical, but these are the kind of things they're looking at. They so they want to see what all led up. Now, remember that in a lot of cases, especially with people that are in severe psychiatric crisis, a triggering event to them might not be a triggering event to us, because you and I are thinking, you know, logically, and have linear thought, and so a small slight would not lead us to shoot people. But they want to figure out what all went on, And in so many of these cases they find two things. One is that the breadcrumbs are there, so when they look back they can see what occurs. Two that they often find that it's not just one thing, that there could be a ramping up, so one thing on top of another thing on top of another thing, and you add in some type of small flight or triggering event, and then you have the explosion.
Speaker 1: Kind of like the straw that broke the camel's back, exactly right. ABC's chief investigative reporter, Josh Margolan, thank you so much for the information. Appreciate it. Have a good weekend.
Speaker 5: Have a great weekend.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A federal appeals court has rejected an effort by the Trump administration to block in order directing it to facilitate the return of the man from Maryland who was deported to El Salvador by mistake. The court ruled the administration was trying to claim a right to stash away residents of this country in foreign prisons without the semblance of due process. That's quote. Ki Abrego Garcia is a citizen of El Salvador. He was allowed to meet yesterday with Maryland Maryland Democratic Senator Chris van Holland, who went to the prison where Abrigo Garcia is being held. Before the meeting, Van Holland had complained that he and his staff were not allowed to enter the prison. After the meeting, the president of El Salvador posted a photo of Van Holland with Abrigo Garcia. He wrote on X again in his words, kilmar Abrego Garcia miraculously risen from the death, camps and torture, now sipping margaritas with Senator Van Holland in the tropical Pairaradise of l Salvador. Yemen's Houthi rebels say air strikes targeting the rose Isa oil port have killed seventy four people and wounded almost two hundred others. In a statement, Central Command said US forces took action to eliminate a source of fuel for the Iran backed Huthi terrorists terrorists to deprive them of illegal revenue that has paid for Hoothi efforts to terrorize the entire region for over ten years. The Trump administration is asked the IRS to revoke Harvard's tax exempt status. The request follows President Trump freezing more than two billion dollars in federal funding for the Ivy League University because it has refused to comply with Trump administration policies on DEI, merit based admissions, anti Semitism, and other issues. Tax Exempt status prohibits organizations from engaging in certain political activities. A man wearing a security guard uniform, has been arrested for allegedly stabbing a man he was arguing with at a Metro rail station in Pasadena. The man attacked was stabbed several times yesterday on the pedestrian bridge leading to the Sierra Madre Villa station. Senator Chris van Holland from Maryland's been allowed to meet with the illegal immigrant who mistakenly got swept up in an ice raid and was sent to a prison in El Salvador. His attorneys are fighting to force the Trump administration to facilitate his return to the US. The administration so far saying he's not coming back. Christians around the world are observing Good Friday, today, marks the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, ahead of his resurrection on Easter Sunday. Stock markets are closed for the Good Friday holiday. Today. At six oh five, it's Handle on the News. A judge has ruled that Google is operating an illegal ad monopoly. What could that mean for Google? Let's say good morning now to ABC's Shannon Kingston. Shannon, the Secretary of State, Marco rub Ruby, Special Envoy Steve Whitcott, and Keith Kellogg all in Paris, not to see the Eiffel Tower, but to talk about ending the war between Russia and Ukraine.
Speaker 8: That's right. They wrapped up that round of talks today, Amy and by all measures, things went pretty well. The main focus was really getting the European allies up to date on the latest US framework for a peace deal. But before he left France, Secretary of Rubio he said that basically the US is going to have to move on soon unless they see some action. And now his comments come as officials directly involved in the talks. Everyoney just mentioned and the President himself have grown increasingly frustrated over the kremlins apparent lack of commitment to reaching peace in Ukraine and refusal back down from effectively unmeetable demands like sanctions relief that would involve the US and all of its European allies as well.
Speaker 1: So interesting that they're saying they might just walk instead of continuing to try to hammer out a deal. And so far does it appear that Ukraine is kind of on board with most stuff and Russia is the one that's resisting or is there resistance on both sides?
Speaker 8: You know, it's mostly aimed at Russia here to kind of dial up the pressure, of course bringing Ukraine along. It's also important. Rubio did say that, of course the Ukrainian representatives are going to have to head back to Kiev and Blalok to Ukraine's President's Lenski make sure he's on board here. But really, you know, things have been going a little bit better than they were at least a couple of weeks ago with Ukraine. We're also seeing progress towards a mineral deal with the country. The President said yesterday he expects that to be signed in this upcoming week, but of course negotiators are still hammering out some details on that end, okay.
Speaker 1: And then to refresh everybody's memories, I mean, what does Ukraine get for giving the US access to go in and mine rare earth minerals, which of course they're going to be worth you know, millions and billions of dollars.
Speaker 8: Well, of course, if you ask the Trump administration, Ukraine gets the opportunity to pay back the United States for all of its support through the years of this war. But really what this is about for Ukraine as security guarantees. They say that this economic partnership having American investment interests is going to guarantee that any peace agreement reached is upheld going forward, because you know, to put it, put it in an idiom, it's that the US will have a dog in the fight that economic stimulus it gets from this kind of mineral deal.
Speaker 1: Okay. And then there was also some talk that there was some discussion about Iran during this trip to Paris. Did that happen?
Speaker 8: That's right, That was really kind of like a side dish here if Ukraine was the main course. But negotiators here from American delegation, they're talking to the European allies who have always played a very key, very central role in negotiating with Iran. And that's another front where the Trump administration is expecting to see action and they want to see it fast. I just think that the patients here has already warmed in with Iran. Some more talks will happen this upcoming weekend in Rome.
Speaker 1: In Rome, okay, And at this point it still just talks. We're not to the point where we think we're going to get a deal.
Speaker 8: You know, we know that doesn't seem to be directly in the offing here. Anything could happen, but at this point yes, they're just warming up to each other.
Speaker 1: Okay. ABC News State Department correspondent Shannon Kingston, thanks so much for the info. We appreciate it. Thank you all right, have a good weekend. And amber alert's been issued in Riverside and San Bernardino Counties for an eight year old girl less seen in Desert Hot Springs. Authority say they believe Nova Landeros was taken by a man named Oscar Landero's not clear how they're related. The girl was last seen last Thursday night on Ostrella and Mesquite Avenues in Desert Hot Springs. She's four foot five, about sixty pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes. Oscar Landeros is thirty three years old, five to eleven, about two hundred pounds. He may be driving a gold two thousand and nine Toyota Tacoma truck. UCLA students and faculty have protested the detention of one of the university's international grad students at the US Mexico border.
Speaker 9: UCLA officials saying the student was detained by US Customs and Border Protection on Wednesday night while trying to cross the border from Mexico into the United States. UCLA Vice Chancellor Mariosako confirmed the detention on Thursday night.
Speaker 1: Ky if i's Mark Mayfield says US Customs and Border Protection did not confirm the student was being held. The Anaheim Chamber of Commerce is shutting down.
Speaker 2: Orange County's most populous city, with two major sports teams, more than one hundred and fifty hotels, and about fifteen thousand bills. Businesses, including Disneyland, won't have a Chamber of Commerce now. Interim Chamber President and CEO Jerry Jordan says the Chamber's been unable to recover since the fraud and corruption scandal three years ago involving then Chamber president Todd Ahmant. Several businesses left the chamber after that scandal. A vote next week will determine how to shut it down. Mark Ronner KFI News.
Speaker 1: A sixth horse has died this year at the Los Alamitos Race Course. A three year old Philly named Non Compliant was hurt while galloping early yesterday morning and has since died. She was trained by legendary horse trainer Bob Baffort. Farm Workers, migrant or otherwise are closer to being a thing of the past.
Speaker 11: Researchers in Japan had developed a navigation system that allows agricultural robots to move between crop rows as they pick stuff as small as strawberries. The farm bots use way points in lasers to get close enough without damaging small scale farm crops. Current systems are much more expensive, use less reliable GPS and special markers on the fields, and they can't get to those smaller spaces. Farmers are looking more to automation as rural population's age and tighter immigration policies make finding labor harder. Michael Krozier KFI News.
Speaker 1: On one hand, I think that that's so cool, and the other hand, I go, you know what, pretty soon nobody's gonna have a job.
Speaker 4: Our job's lost. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The National Park Service is waiving entrance fees to sites like Yosemite and Sequoia National Park to celebrate National Park Week. People can visit any of California's nine national parks for free Tomorrow, April nineteenth. This only covers entrance fees, not other costs for activities like camping and voting. National Park Week runs across the country until Sunday, April twenty seventh. Okay, guess who's entering the Star Wars Universe woo.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 1: Brian Gosling, free time Oscar nominee made the announcement yesterday at a Star Wars convention in Tokyo. He says the new film is called Star Wars Starfire. It's going to be directed by Sean Lovey, who just had a worldwide hit with Deadpool and Wolverine.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Star Wars Starfighters schedule to hit theaters in May of twenty twenty seven. I'm on board for this.
Speaker 4: I like everything Star Wars.
Speaker 3: I mean, some people complain about series, certain series and things, but.
Speaker 1: Because the movies are horrible, but I still love them.
Speaker 4: Oh exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I love it, and I love that Ryan Gosling's joining the Star Wars universe. That's fun. Tonight the Dodgers are taken all the Rangers. They're in Texas. The first pitch goes out at five o'clock. You can listen to every play on every game. AM five seventy LA Sports is the place to go. It's live from the gapin Motors Broadcast booth. You can also stream all the games live in HD on the iHeartRadio app. The keyword AM five seventy LA Sports Go blue. The re sentencing hearing for Eric and Lyle Menendez has been postponed indefinitely. A May ninth motions hearing has been set to address a state Parole Board report on whether the brothers would be a danger to the public if they're released. No new resentencing date has been scheduled. The State of California's filed the lawsuit against the US Department of Education. The lawsuit claims California schools could lose nearly two hundred million dollars in pandemic relief for kate to twelve schools that has already been allocated. Attorney General Rob Bonta says the Trump administration overstepped its authority again when it cut the funding. The La RAMS are taken over La Fires Air Operations Base in Van Euy's temporarily. Team president Kevin Demoff says it'll be the RAMS base for the NFL Draft, which gets underway next Thursday. Themof says it's one way the NFL can express gratitude to first responders for their work during the wildfires in January. The RAMS have the twenty sixth overall pick in the first round. Let's say good morning now to mister sleepyhead. The host of Home on KFI. Our house whispered Dean Sharp morning.
Speaker 4: Dean, good morning.
Speaker 1: So glad we could connect with you because we got to talk makeovers. I always love a good makeover, but we're going to take it beyond our faces and go all the way to our houses.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, uncertain times, that's kind of where we're at right now, and a lot of people not knowing where to go with their money. And there's been a change in the wind. People are wondering, is this the year to do my remodel? Our price is going to soar, our tariffs going to affect the prices of materials, And I'm getting that question a lot, and the simple, simple answer is don't know. And so as a result, we're helping folks spend their time and attention for those who want to move forward with certainty on the makeover. And the difference between a makeover and a renovation and a remodel is some money money really, I mean when you think remodel, what we're really literally taught talking about is moving around bones on the house, and there's a lot of money.
Speaker 7: In the pad.
Speaker 4: A renovation is taking what's there and giving it a refresh. But a makeover is the most potent and yet least expensive approach to your house, and that is changing colors, changing materials, and without having to move around major elements. And something that a lot of people look over at times is how powerful a makeover can be in changing the vibe of the house and if you know how to approach it, it can really have a big impact. So that's what we're spending the weekend, focusing on the makeover, the magic makeover.
Speaker 1: The magic of makeovers. And you're going to be covering everything from bathrooms to bedrooms, to living rooms to kitchens and even whole house projects and looking through some and the exterior too. Some looking through your list and I'm like, oh, I've done that. Oh my mom did that to her house in the bathroom. There are some things you can do that don't cost a ton of money, but are really going to update the look. Like instead of having that whole mirror that covers the wall, bring that up to date, how.
Speaker 4: Do you do that exactly? So you know, you might have a nineteen seventies or nineteen sixties circa large frameless mirror that's sort of plastered across the wall above the vanity in the bathroom and you know, which is fine and if you love it great. A lot of people are like, I don't know about this thing, but what do I do instead? Well, that mirror can be removed, and mirrors from a glass shop not that expensive. Also, sometimes you can remove the mirror and preserve it and have it cut into a smaller mirror and then a frame placed around it, replace it in place, so that now we've got a full sized mirror framed that has this modern contemporary look to it, as if you've just hung a framed mirror on the wall.
Speaker 1: Okay, I love I love that. A lot of these projects that you have, I'm like, oh, my mom has done that to her house, so when I go home, I always am watching for stuff that she's done. Here's one we're moving over to the living room that I actually did. That a fireplace, I think is one of the most fabulous things you can have in your house. But sometimes they are really dated and ugly. But you can update it and what I did, and you can tell me whether this was a good decision or not. Was I painted my fireplace and I retiled the hearth myself.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's a fantastic idea. Fireplaces are a funny thing. I mean they were designed to be the centerpieces of rooms. A lot of people find them in the way, and a lot of folks, I would say, I think the current number is like eight out of ten homeowners don't really use their fireplace, and yet it's there. And the point is, if you're not going to get rid of it, which of course is expensive, then acknowledge the fact that it is something to look at, that it's a show piece, that it's a view piece, and yes, tile over the hearth. Paint the firebox. And when people say paint, When I say that, people are like, what do you mean? Paint the firebox. You know you may have dated, stained, sooty ugly firebrick inside the firebox. Go down ten dollars worth of high heat barbecue paint at the hardware store will allow you to paint out the entire firebox so that it's black dark, doesn't show any soot stains anymore. And yet if you decide to have a fire in there, it can handle that heat no problem. And it's like a jeweler's cloth behind a jewel And even if you don't use the fireplace, find something to put in there, a bouquet of flowers, a pile of fire wood. I mean, the list can go on and on and on, but use the fireplace for what it should actually be, which is a visual showcase of something most of the time when we're not actually using the flames.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I can tell you from my personal experience, it made a world distance. I did do the firebox, plus I did the front, the facade or whatever you call it, and the hearth, and it was just like the whole room like was lit up and it looked so much better. It was it was just and it was a quick fix. It wasn't easy. It took a weekend and it was great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's the point of the makeover. A little elbow grease, just a tiny bit of money invested and a big change.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then one last one before I let you go in the kitchen. I love this idea. And that's just putting some lighting under the kitchen cabinets.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I mean, and I think everybody understands that. It's just that that most people are waiting, like, oh, I'll do that when I replace my kitchen cabinets, because that's an expense and it's probably really expensive, and I don't want to mess with that with my existing cabinets. But the fact of the matter is LED lighting. We're in the golden age of LED strip lighting. And if you just take a peek online, you'll realize that strip lighting comes in role and self adhesive roles. It is so inexpensive and it looks so good. I'd yet to have somebody say to me anything other than, oh my gosh. If I realized that it was as inexpensive as it is, I would have done this years ago. And so take a look windows shopping is free. Do your research. You'll find that some of these moves you can make right now.
Speaker 1: Absolutely I love it and your whole show this weekend. Your shows this weekend are going to be focused on this. And those were just a couple of the really easy quick fixes. There's so many more good ideas, so be listening this weekend six to eight on Saturday, nine to noon on Sunday. The show is called Home on KFI. Thank you so much to our house whisper Dean Sharp. Can't wait to hear more tips.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Have a great weekend. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A memorial service has been held for San Bernardino County aff's deputy killed in the line of duty. Deputy Hector Quavas Junior was killed in a crash March seventeenth during a police chase in Victorville. Video from the scene showed the patrol SUV split in two. Captain Randy Jerman remembered Quavs yesterday as a kind person and a hard worker. He was thirty six years old and worked for the Victorville station for the past three years. People impacted by the fire that started in Eaton Canyon are demanding a formal investigation into State Farm Insurance.
Speaker 10: They say State Farm has mishandled claims filed by policyholders who lost property in the wildfire. Altadena and Pasadena residents held a rally on Thursday in front of State Farm's catastrophe claim tent on Colorado Boulevard. They say wildfire survivors are in financial trouble after State Farm delayed and denied a series of claims.
Speaker 1: Hey if i's Daniel Martindale says last week, State Farm asked state officials to approve a seventeen percent emergency rate hike. A recent poll show's former Vice president Kamala Harris has the most support so far if she were to run for governor of California in twenty twenty six. The poll of one thousand registered voters, done by Inside California Politics and Emerson College, included eighteen hypothetical candidates. It found thirty one percent of voters would support Harris. Democratic rival Katie Porter got eight percent support. Riverside County Sheriff Chad Bianco, who's a Republican, got four percent. The Army Corps of Engineers is finished clearing fire debris from the Palisades Library. The completion clears the way for the La County Library branch to be rebuilt. The Corps finished its work in six days, twenty four days ahead of schedule. La merbass Is LA's recovery effort from wildfires one hundred days ago is on track to be the fastest in modern California history. The man accused of killing the CEO of United Healthcare has been officially charged with murder. A for count indictment was returned against Luigi Mangioni yesterday. The charges are murder, stocking, and a weapons offense. Mangioni allegedly shot and killed Brian Thompson in front of a hotel in Manhattan on December fourth. Tens of thousands of music fans are headed to Indio for the second weekend of the twenty twenty five Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival. Headliners for the second weekend that include dozens of performers are Lady Gaga, Travis Scott, and Post Malone. Organizers say they have fixed issues that led to ten to twelve hour waits for fans to get into campgrounds last weekend. Let's say good morning to ABC's Will Gans, our multi platform reporter.
Speaker 4: I like that title me too.
Speaker 6: It makes me feel like I don't know, Beyonce or something.
Speaker 7: It's called the multi Platinum So I'll.
Speaker 1: Take it all right, So Will, I've been talking about this all morning. You have for us the sweetest movie of the year.
Speaker 7: I honestly, it was such a surprise and such a delight. Yes, it's called The Ballad of Wallace Island, and it's like, you know, it was sort of off my radar. I think probably just because it's not one of these huge, big budget movies. There's not any like huge, huge stars playing a huge role in it. Carrie Mulligan is in it, but you know, she's just a supporting character here. So it is a really sweet movie. It's about this like quirky man who lives alone on this remote island called Wallace Island, and we find out that he has won the lottery not once, but two times.
Speaker 6: And what is he doing with his money.
Speaker 7: He is reuniting a couple members of a band that he loves. Unbeknownst to each other, they had split up and they haven't spoken in like ten years or whatever, and he is paying for a private concert for each of them, and then they show up and realize that the other one is there.
Speaker 6: So basically, this very very wealthy, quirky.
Speaker 7: Millionaire is reuniting a band, his favorite band, on this remote island, and it's sort of about those two reconnecting and dealing with this very strange millionaire. And it's it's laugh out loud funny, and it's also really really heartwarming. Like, you know, I went with a couple of friends this week and we walked away and we were like, oh my god, I just feel so good about the world.
Speaker 6: When we were leaving the theater, it was really happened very.
Speaker 7: Often, exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, so the Ballad of Wallace Island. Never heard of it before, but it's on my radar.
Speaker 6: Now, good good, Yeah.
Speaker 7: So it's in theaters and you know, I'm sure it'll come to streaming probably in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: Too, okay. And for you dark people, there's also something scary.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, okay.
Speaker 7: So this is Sinners and it is on the complete other end of the emotional spectrum.
Speaker 6: But this is Michael B.
Speaker 7: Jordan and he is playing twins in this movie. And it's directed by Ryan Coogler, who directed Black Panther, Wakonda Forever, and he directed Creed, so he's worked with Michael B.
Speaker 6: Jordan before. But this movie is.
Speaker 7: About two twins played by Michael B. Jordan who come back to the South from Chicago and they are gonna been a juke joint in the nineteen thirties, and so they round up some of the best musicians in the Mississippi River Delta.
Speaker 6: And they they open this juke joint.
Speaker 7: But what happens while they're there is the place basically becomes under siege by vampires. So yeah, it's an allegory of you know, the other types of evil that you know, were pervasive in the area in the nineteen thirties and and you know, of course they're still around today. But the way they use music in the movie is just incredible. Obviously, the cast is amazing with Michael B.
Speaker 6: Jordan.
Speaker 7: You also have Hailey Steinfeld in there. It's it's scary, it's like unnerving, but it's so good and I think right now it has like ninety eight percent on Rotten Tomatoes, so critics love it. It's it's definitely worth seeing, but it is not relaxing by any means.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, yeah, I'm gonna leave that off my list. And if you don't feel like going to theaters, there's there's a show that's taken you way, way way North.
Speaker 7: Yes, it's North of North in fact, and that's the name of the show. It's on Netflix, and it's a sweet little sitcom that you know, it's very simple. It's about a community of indigenous people who live in the Arctic Circle. And the main character is is a woman who is you know, basically leaving her deadbeat husband and how she's navigating getting a job and you know, her relationship with her mom and her own child, and it's just sort of a.
Speaker 6: Glimpse at what life is like in modern.
Speaker 7: Times for you know, these communities that live basically where it's winter all the time, and it's you know, it's really sweet. It's very funny, and it's not very You're not gonna have to spend a lot of you know, brain, We're trying to figure out what's going on. It's very simple, and yes, exactly, and.
Speaker 1: It's a series. It's not a movie, right.
Speaker 6: A series, yes, yes, and episodes okay.
Speaker 1: And Netflix, so it's probably is the whole thing out or half the season out.
Speaker 6: Whole thing's there?
Speaker 1: Oh oh, I got a new binge?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And will have we both failed our assignment again. I still haven't seen the penguin lessons.
Speaker 7: I know, I'm starting to feel like, well, I did watch North of North, which takes place in the Arctic Circle, so that's as close as I've gotten to the penguins.
Speaker 6: I still haven't. You're right, You're right, all right. I thought I might get partial credit.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, i'll give you partial credit. I'm going to give thank you ABC's Willgans. Thanks so much. We'll hopefully do it again next week.
Speaker 6: Huh, all right, sounds like a plan. Amy, thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Two people have been killed at least six others hurt in a shooting at a Florida State University in Tallahassee. Leon County Sheriff Walter McNeil says the twenty year old alleged shooter is the son of a sheriff's deputy.
Speaker 9: Unfortunately, her son had access to one of her weapons and that was one of the weapons that was found at the scene.
Speaker 1: The shooting yesterday happened near the crowded student union building. The two people killed were not students. Officers who arrived on campus almost immediately shot and injured the shooter. A US veteran has been shot and killed after he hijacked a small passenger plane in Belize. Officials say the man stabbed several people on the plane before he was shot by another passenger who was licensed to carry a gun. The plane circled for hours and then was able to land safely yesterday. Those stabbed were taken to the hospital. President Trump assigned an executive order extending the federal hiring freeze for another ninety days. The freeze does not apply to the military or positions related to immigration and enforcement. The order means no federal government positions will be filled until mid July, and no new jobs will be created until it's okayed or unless it's okayed by the administration. Home prices in California are up for March, but overall home sales have dipped a bit.
Speaker 12: Statewide sales fell two point three percent from February, but we're still up four point nine percent compared to last year. LA and Orange County saw strong local sales increases, though prices in both areas dip slightly. The state wide median home price rose six point seven percent to more than eight hundred eighty four thousand. Ongoing economic uncertainty and fluctuating mortgage rates are causing weaker housing demand and slower pending sales.
Speaker 1: Deborah Mark, KFI News, What does that all mean? I still can't afford a housing This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. Southland. Weather from KFI mostly cloudy this morning, a slight chance of showers, mainly further inland some sun by this afternoon highs in the low to mid sixties at the coast Metro LA in Loan, Orange County, the valleys, and Inland Empire. Fifties and sixties in the Annelope Valley. Sunny Tomorrow with highs in the upper sixties to mid seventies. Sunny again for Easter Sunday, after some morning low clouds with highs in the sixties and seventies. It's fifty five in Lahapra, fifty six in Redondo Beach, fifty five in Studio City, fifty three in Rento Cucamonga. Live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer KNO along with traffic specialist Will I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeart Radio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeart Radio app.