Speaker 1: You're listening to k f I AM six forty the Bill Handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. So we'll call them unexplained incidents. We're not gonna go as far as calling them aliens, but we will say we don't understand it. I mean, there are unexplained things that we deal with every day. For example, this show, how do you explain it? No one can? And now handle on the news, ladies and gentlemen, here's Bill Handle. It is a a froggy morning. It is a Wednesday morning, and it is June eleven. Good morning, everybody. Nice to have you with us. Sort of trying. I'm trying to be up. We're trying to be up this morning, you know, working nah, really well with the news lineup?
Speaker 2: Yeah, depressing lineup.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I got an echo going there someplace? Okay, is it my head? I don't think so, No, something's going on there, all right? In any case, can you hear the echo? Kno, huh, all right, I'm hearing it in my head.
Speaker 3: Really is in your head?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Well said, Now, I guess we have a mute issue.
Speaker 2: I don't know what does it sound like? What does it sound?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what it sounds like. That's what it sounds weird, That's what it sounds like. Yeah, yeah, there we go. All right, morning everybody, now, yeah we yeah, I got straightened out, all right, Neil, good morning, Good.
Speaker 2: Morning, Willie Wolf.
Speaker 1: How are you okay? Yeah, okay, okay, yeah, my foot, my toe is healing. Strangely enough, I started walking again yesterday and I walked fifty feet outside my house and back. I was out of breath. I felt like I just run a marathon. Goes to show you when you don't do it for a month. Amy, good morning.
Speaker 3: If it is a good.
Speaker 1: Morning, wow, well said, this is getting better.
Speaker 2: And she's the light of the show.
Speaker 3: Where he is It started out to be this great day and then my mouth stopped working during wake up call, and then my hands stopped working obviously because I was pushing the wrong buttons all the time. And so I've just figured today is shot.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Well you know what, don't worry about it. I think you're having a stroke.
Speaker 3: Oh good, that would be a capa on the day.
Speaker 1: And Cono with his hat, good morning, and Ann and will is not here this morning? Is that what I heard?
Speaker 3: He is not He's taking the rest of the week off.
Speaker 1: Oh, good for him. And so what do we do about traffic? Will's not around? Well?
Speaker 3: Today we have Randy Fuller in.
Speaker 1: Oh hi there Randy Fuller.
Speaker 3: I just don't see him because he's not here in Burbank with us.
Speaker 1: Oh you're aware, Where are you, Randy? Like in a call center in uh India? Maybe in the mid city areas? Which city?
Speaker 2: La jelus? You don't know where mid city is in l I do.
Speaker 1: I just didn't know what city. Mid city is a lot of different city. Excuse me, this is iHeart right. I mean we could go to the far reaches of a call center in India and find out they're working for iHeart. Hey, no, my name isry uh he just anyway, all right, go ahead. You're trying to be racist. You're bad at it.
Speaker 2: I should go horrible.
Speaker 1: I know it was bad. It was bad. I know, I get it. I get it. All right, all right, let's do it, guys. We still have a pair rama to cover protests and China announcements and day and so as we start handle on the news on this Wednesday morning with Amy Neil and me lead story, who is doing that cover? How do you listen to the sounds of Silence. Other than Simon and Garfunkle doing it, How does that possible?
Speaker 4: It was a big hit actually the cover who did the cover it was a band called Disturbed. Not the biggest fan, but it was good. It was a big hit the charts.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm just I'm a purist when it comes to that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 3: Someone did it on American Idol and it was fabulous.
Speaker 1: I'm a purist. It's not the same. There was a documentary on Paul Simon, by the way, and I think it's on either Netflix or maybe Apple TV, maybe A's Hulu, but anyway, I just it's just phenomenal, interesting guy, Paul Simon, to say the least. Okay, here's a lead story. Paramount. Paramount is laying off several hundred employees, and.
Speaker 2: What are you doing? What are you doing?
Speaker 1: What am I doing? Is that story five? Already? What are I just?
Speaker 2: What are you doing?
Speaker 3: And that's it's stroke today.
Speaker 1: Okay, story story, yeah, story five? Got it, We'll get to it. Got mixed up, got mixed up?
Speaker 3: Got I also said to another lead story, did you get that?
Speaker 1: No? Okay? So I have two stories. Okay, two lead stories. Okay, One, President Trump just announced the US will get magnets and rare earth minerals from China under a new trade deal where Chinese triffs on China go to only fifty five percent. So that's Jane crazy. Why not today? What today is fifty five? Yesterday it was what fifty and last week it was one hundred and forty five and then that was suspended. You don't know. So anyway, that's a deal. We haven't heard from China yet, and I don't know how China's accepting a fifty five percent tariff.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that one office you have Trump laughing going watch watch I'm gonna change it again. Yeah, I know in LA's going to freak out about his pots and pains business.
Speaker 1: Watch's it's interesting. We're going to talk about that at some point. How how does a president wake up in the morning legally and say I think tariff today is going to be x and then that afternoon saying eh, no, let's make it this this number. And how does that happen legally? Because there are lawsuits of floating out there, and I'm sure we're going to get into that. The other big story is the curfew in Los Angeles that went into effect eight pm to six am, down two and so we'll see what happened. As matter of fact, what was the latest on that, Amy?
Speaker 3: Which one on the curfew, but there was a it's lifted now. It was in effect from eight pm until six am. And after the first hour they did a bunch of arrests because there were some people who didn't follow the curfew. And then it quieted it down. It was pretty quiet overnight.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what does work is if you have two hundred protesters or five hundred protesters, you bring ten thousand RB guys and police guys. That'll quell it, that'll stop it. And again, and the Trump administration is getting enormous flak for overwhelming force, disproportionate force. I tell you you have riots, I don't care how many people show up, you shut them down. And of course the political fallout on that one, Gavin Newsom, the president, it's just it's completely crazy, all right, Moving on Amy.
Speaker 3: Governor Newsom should be tarred and feathered, so says Speaker Mike Johnson. Of course, aligned himself with President Trump, saying the President is absolutely right in sending in National Guard troops and marines to LA because of the protests.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the tar and feather part. Johnson was very very smart on this one because he was asked about arresting Newsom and he goes, that's not my wheelhouse. I'm not going to get into that, but I think that Newsom should be tarred and feather. A political statement, right, which is it means absolutely nothing. There is no opinion too. Yeah, it's old school and it's just a political hit that has no legal significance. Commenting on whether the governor should be arrested that goes deeper, and Johnson didn't want to touch that. Interesting how we do this? It's not my lane. I'm not going to give you a legal analysis on whether Gavin Newssen should be arrested, but he ought to be tarred and feathered. And it's really interesting. How is Gavin Newsen going to be arrested for I guess governing California inappropriately or wrongly? You got me on that one. All right, let's take a break. We'll come back and maybe we'll get into this and make some sense. What do you think we started on We started with a cover of Sounds of Silence and that is very, very wrong. It's going to be quite that morning. I can tell all.
Speaker 3: Right, ims Ian's Iams from American Idol. It's really good.
Speaker 1: Of course, more handle on the news, Amy Neil and me all right.
Speaker 2: Defense Secretary Pete Higgseth is in the hot seat met with very sharp questions and criticism Tuesday by lawmakers who demanded details on a couple of things, including the move to deploy troops to Los Angeles, and they expressed bipartisan rather frustrations that Congress has not yet received a full defense budget from the Trump administration. So gosh, man, he got hit with a couple ones. Your tenuere as secretary has been marked with endless chaos. Well, I don't know if it's been that long, but I got to tell you they're looking at one hundred and thirty four million dollars apparently for the cost of the Marines and the National Guard to come to Los Angeles. Pretty substantial. I mean, you could with that kind of money, you could almost start to not have a train to nowhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I'll tell you where you it would be a train in nowhere. It would be would be stopped or would be paid for and that's with the one hundred and seventy five billion dollar the Spaceballs program, you know, Golden Dome missile program across the entire United States. A lot of and a lot of the even Republican legislators said, come on, guys, you know how much money can you spend? The parade is going to be forty five million dollars. There's a story for you.
Speaker 2: It's legitimate for him to be questioned, isn't it on?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely didn't come from the governor.
Speaker 1: No, No, it happens all the time. It happens all the time. They're always put on the hot seat. You know, it doesn't and it doesn't matter what side you're on the other party nails. Who's ever in front of Congress, either a Republican I mean either a congressional or a Senate hearing. Those are not meant for. Well, what they are. What they are meant for is investigative purpose purposes so Congress can investigate the issue. All they are is grand standing nothing more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're always angry, and you know why because it takes time from them sleeping with their aids. So they gotta get up and they gotta do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what was no I'm talking about. So they're in the Oval Office and reporters are asking President Trump questions and they ask about Mexican President Claudia Sinbaum's comments about what was going on in LA and Trump said, well, what did she say? And the reporter said, well, she condemned the violence, and he said, I do too, And then Department of Homeland Security Secretary Christy Noam comes up and says, Claudia Shinbe Shinbaum came out and encouraged protests. She said, I condemn her for that. She shouldn't be encouraging violence. Well, violence. Shinbaum fired right back and said that's absolutely false, and then posted video of her saying, yeah, we condemned the violence. So now you know what no one was doing there.
Speaker 1: I'm making it up. That's what she was doing, making it up out of a whole cloth.
Speaker 3: But why why I understood?
Speaker 1: What was she didn't misunderstand. It's all political. It's all political, and that's what you get for putting a garden know him, you know in office?
Speaker 2: I would say, and it wasn't in the clip that I heard, but I thought there was something that was in her statement that pinged my ear too, and I can't remember what it is. I'd have to look it up, but it obviously wasn't the clip that they played. But there was something that Shinbaum said, yeah, and I can't remember it was, but there was something in one of the first statements where I went, that's an interesting way of saying.
Speaker 1: It, but yeah, but it could not be interpreted as being an advocate of the protests, that protests are good or what you're doing is right.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not to the degree that Noam said that. There was something that I remember did ping my ear and I can't but I don't have it in front of me. All right, there we go. Military members apparently booed Newsom and bid them Biden. This was a crowd filled with members of the military and their families. They is President Trump took to the podium the rivals that he is continuing to poke at even though they're out of office. The President kind of prompting during this the address at Fort Bragg in North Carolina. Now, if you remember, Fort Bragg was changed, the name was changed to Fort Liberty, I think for a little while and then it went back. Because this was during the time when they were getting rid of anything that honored Confederate generals, which I think is the right thing to do.
Speaker 1: And well, that's a topic. That's a topic. I mean the you know, Confederate Confederate generals are part of.
Speaker 2: History, yes, but they were they were enemies of the state at this point.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, I mean they were and at the because of the but there's still but there's still because you don't celebrate them. They were named, there were military people, and it was a civil war where they set up their own country and on top of that, and this is what people and no it's not And this is and I'll tell you why. This is what people don't understand. In those days, particularly in the South, particularly in Virginia, the loyalty for the most part, for many many people throughout the country was towards their state. That was more important to them than for the country. Let's put this in context. The North, based on its political view correctly by the way, abolitionism was destroying the economy of the South. I mean that's a given. It's that simple. The economy of the South could not survive if it weren't for slavery, as horrific as that is, it could not have survived. So taking that in context, you're it was put in there now, whether those days are put in there now, whether or not you believe in what happened. Well, for example, George Washington was a slave owner and did not free his slaves. So if we go back in history, go, wait a minute, we have to put that in context. Okay, Thomas Jefferson a slave owner.
Speaker 2: I get all of that.
Speaker 1: So the point I'm making is if we look at it, it's not as clear cut by the way I have. If you look at it and I would vote for Fort Liberty versus Fort Bragg, I would not necessarily Robert E. Lee. I think that is a different story. It's just he is a different character. You know, he was offered head of the Union forces. No, he was offered head of both both the Union and the Southern Forces. And because his loyalty to Virginia was there, So it's not that clear cut. But in the end, I disagree with the president, but I think we have to look at it history. It's more nuanced than that. And it became political with Trump. But you know, kicking to Biden, this wouldn't have happened. You know, look at the crowd, Look how big this crowd is Biden, when Biden wouldn't have this crowd. I mean, why, you know, why do you bring that up and pointing to the press. This is fake news up there, and everybody erupts and boos the press. I mean, you know, at what point do you stop that crap?
Speaker 2: Isn't that kind of a no? No, as a as a political leader to use the military kind of.
Speaker 1: Oh, absolutely, one hundred percent. Traditionally you do not use the military as a political as a political ploy, you don't. But this is a very different president who's rewritten and is rewriting all the rules. That's just to give it, whether you agree or not, whether you agree.
Speaker 2: Or military to be separate from politics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wouldn't that be nice? All right, let's take a break. We'll come back and Neil, I think you have one more about paramount and we'll get through these as quickly as possible. And the news Amy Neil me Field as you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh yeah, it's still Neil.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's still Neil.
Speaker 3: Okay, what do you mean, Uh, isn't it?
Speaker 2: I thought we're doing the US China?
Speaker 3: Okay, that's me, it's me.
Speaker 2: No, I haven't I after that? Okay, No, We're on six, not seven, all right, so we're okay.
Speaker 1: The paramount story now.
Speaker 2: The Paramount story is the last story of the day.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, live radio, boys and girls.
Speaker 3: Okay, we have part of it.
Speaker 1: It looks like five by the way the way it was written. Okay, let's move on.
Speaker 3: Okay, we do have part of a deal. US and Chinese officials have agreed to a framework, but they're trade truce back on track and resolved China's export restrictions on rare earth minerals and magnets. That means rare earth minerals and magnets will be coming to the US, and the US is going to agree to let Chinese students in to go to our universities and college's. US Commerce Secretary, Howard Lutnik, says the framework puts meat on the bones of a deal reached last month in Geneva to ease retaliatory tariffs.
Speaker 1: Now, is it still fifty five percent that's coming in on these particular goods, the magnets and rare earths, Because part of this deal is still fifty five percent tariff on Chinese goods coming in, but there are a lot of exemptions. Remember when the first tariffs came along, and the exemptions were TVs and computers and high tech goods coming in from China. So I don't know what's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the story doesn't say if there's an exemption for these rare earths. I would think there would because we want those.
Speaker 1: Right, I think.
Speaker 2: So, Oh, seriously, you're not. I thought you're going to say like it was a real polarized conversation. No magnet jokes, no puns, no magnet jokes. Okay, Hey, I wanted to walk back what I said about Shinebab.
Speaker 1: I'm positive about that. I don't want to be negative about this story.
Speaker 2: I look tried to look for what pinged in my ear and couldn't find it. So I want to walk that back from earlier. All right, Moving on, President Donald Trump warned warned the neat protests during the weekend's major military parade in Washington will be met with very heavy force. If there's any protester who what's come out, they will be met with very big force.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there'll be plenty of protesters too. It's how far away from the parade will they be allowed to protest? I think that's the question.
Speaker 2: He said he hasn't heard of any protests.
Speaker 1: I think there are going to be plenty of protests.
Speaker 2: I think so too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also, he talked about how what the riots were in Los Ange Angelists and portrayed the entire town being up in a conflagration, and was particularly offended that the police were being attacked with concrete and with the scooters, those rental scooters, those lifts scooters, and he got very offended to the police were attacked. He also got really offended when the police were attacked during January sixth. Oh, hang on a minute, No, he wasn't didn't say much at all about the police being attacked. At one hundred and forty eight police injured. That just didn't happen on January sixth.
Speaker 2: That is the most bizarre part of this, I think to me.
Speaker 1: But he's offended by this, and he wasn't offended by that.
Speaker 2: I don't know how anybody can look at January sixth and not think that that is a huge, ugly mark.
Speaker 1: No, No, it was patriots. It was patriots who were upholding the constitution and trying to undo any illegal election. And the fact that one hundred and forty eight police officers were injured, that is that's just not a big deal. Except in Los Angeles cops were injured. That's a huge deal. And no one get And I have to tell you I don't either. Yeah I do, Yeah, I actually do.
Speaker 2: And it's well, yes, I mean I understand politically how people think that it's only violence when it's not what they want, right, you know. All Right to another one, Elon Musk. This is the scariest thing I've heard. Elon Musk's DOGE team reportedly installed a Starlink satellite internet system on the White House despite concerns from National Security Secret Service, and they're looking to, I think, take it down.
Speaker 1: Because yeah, of course they they have to do. This is just the same stars Starlink system that you have that we have at home. It's not even second person authentication. But this makes sense because if you look at White House security, if you look at the security experts, this is part of the deep state. And what is not part of the deep state is DOGE, which used to be kind of a neat thing with Elon Musk. Now, I don't know, we haven't gotten many stories yet about Trump turning on DOGE because it's Elon Musk, and I don't know that story. I don't know if it's going to happen or not. We know that we know that Elon is not a big phase, not in pretty, is not in good graces with the president.
Speaker 2: But why would you allowed that something like that?
Speaker 1: Why they? Hell do you know? I don't know. I don't know. It doesn't make any sense. All right, let's take a break, we'll come back and we'll finish it all up. What are the odds of Cono actually playing the original version of the Sounds of Isolence by Simon and Garfunkle. By the way, when you look at the if you go back to the documentary I told you about that I think is on Netflix about Paul Simon, there's some things about how Simon and Garfunkle got together in a way you don't know at all it was. I was going, really, no kidding, it's it's a great story. And then they had a falling out. I thought it was Paul Simon that quit. It's Art Garfunkle that actually walked out of that group, that.
Speaker 2: Group of two. Huh, how'd that work out?
Speaker 1: Not well for him, that's for sure. He decided to go into acting. The problem is he's a crappy actor.
Speaker 2: Didn't he play eraser Head? You're not going to get that.
Speaker 1: I did get it. I did, and it was bad. Let's finish up handle. Let's finish up handle on the news, Okay, Amy, Neil and me.
Speaker 3: Look up in the sky. More delivery drones. Can you imagine what it's going to be like when everybody's doing this? Right now, Walmart says it's expanding its drone delivery service to five more major cities in the US. It has already done one hundred and fifty thousand drone deliveries since it launched its service in twenty twenty one. Now it's not coming here to la yet, but they're doing the drone delivery service in Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston, Orlando, and Tampa. What do they all have in common? Flat?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not going to be I'm not very impressed with this, to be honest with you. I will get on board when Walmart starts delivering pianos by drone. That is going to be impressive.
Speaker 2: All right, Moving on, Yes, Laurel and Hardy came to mind, but you have a thinking bugs bunny there. I was thinking of the music Box old film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is Laurel and Hardy. Great film.
Speaker 2: All Right. President Donald Trump said Tuesday that he plans to phase out the Federal Emergency Management Agency after this year's hurricane season, offering the clearest timeline for all of this change. Long term plans. Dismantle the disaster relief program has been something that has been top of mind for this administration, and he wants to shift responsibility for response and recovery onto the states.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is not, in and of itself a bad idea. The problem is that the states don't have the resources to do this, and so their FEMA like response, whatever the states are going to call it, won't be able to pull it off like FEMA does. So when this happens, wait till a hurricane hits Florida, a very red state, or the states along the Mississippi when they flood like crazy and the states can't do what FEMA does. Is that going to change politics? No, of course not. But you're going to see big changes afoot when FEMA disappears.
Speaker 2: I mean, when the state is dealing with something like that, isn't it kind of harder resources?
Speaker 1: It's no, it's a question of how much money you have, what kind of resources.
Speaker 3: Well, they're still going to get federal funding, aren't they.
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I think they are. If they If they are, let me see if the understanding is that it comes from a different place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I understand. I don't have a problem with that. This is a state issue. But will there be this will it be the same money? That's the issue there.
Speaker 3: There are problems with FEMA, and I think that that's what they're saying. It's gotten too big. But like, for example, when there were fires like the fires here, there were fires up in southern California or southern Oregon where I'm from, and it burned down a couple of towns, and they built all these FEMA homes, little temporary homes. They sat empty nobody. Yes, huge problem this money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, there are great stories about it, how they were by They built thousands of trailers, temporary trailers that they got the plywood from China to build it, and the plywood had levels of fermaldehyde that were so toxic they couldn't use it. And understood, you're absolutely right, But what agency doesn't have massive problems. That's the problem with the federal government. And it's uh, it's it's something, well, the federal government and any state agency, how much bureaucracyed does California have?
Speaker 2: How much you political bill? If it's a Republican in the House, then FEMA sucks and didn't move on time. If it's a to the Democrats, And if there's a Democrat in the House, then the Republicans say that FEMA sucks and didn't move on time.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, you know, And I think the question that is here and Amy, I don't know if we have the answer to that, will funding be cut? And that I think is the critical issue. I have no problem with states doing this with federal money because states are going to care more about their own issues. All Right, We're done, guys, big time. Coming up a little bit of fact checking over the what's going on here in southern California with the migrant issue, with the protests, and just thought i'd throw some facts at you because one of the things we don't get a lot are facts. That's coming up KFI AM six. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch My Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.