Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to Game Mess Mornings with Me Jeff Grub, your host from giant bomb dot com. Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're gonna be talking about PlayStation making more money while selling fewer consoles, and it's not backing down from its disc lists of future. It's gonna be a good one though, because we have Jason Finelli on the show. Jason, how are you doing? I am feeling good on a Finelle Friday. I feel like we did it. We made it, we did it together. I feel like it's like this we kind of dragged a little bit, like in the middle. I don't know about you.
Speaker 2: I had.
Speaker 1: I had both feelings like like it feels like it flew by, and then when I stopped to think, like wait, was.
Speaker 2: I just traveling on last Sunday? And like, god, that feels like forever agoing it.
Speaker 1: We're only just now getting to a point where like I won't be working on a weekend. When I think about it that way, it's like, oh, it's it really has dragged.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm glad we made it.
Speaker 3: We are almost there, and that I have to say that road trip was very entertaining anytime now I go to visit my sister's chicken farm, I will think of Mike Manati and.
Speaker 2: That with chickens. Yes, uh huh, Well it's better.
Speaker 3: That than apples, I guess, yeah, but yes, but yeah, that that looks like a lot of fun. You guys are your nuts in the best way, and it's very entertaining. I have not watched the panel yet. I do have to watch the Mysterium panel still, but definitely had a lot of fun watching that road trip.
Speaker 2: That was a good time. Thank you. Yeah, yeah, we'll have the travelog.
Speaker 1: Dan's working on it right now, so yeah, there'll there'll be a lot more from it because we we sent him a lot of footage and he's chopping and screwing that up right now.
Speaker 2: All right, so you know what, let's let's get into things. It's Friday.
Speaker 1: There's no point in dragging it along any further. Let's just get on with the damn show. Thank you for watching, everybody. We're a giant bomb. We're internet video game dufices. I I appreciate everyone who supports us. When you do that, you're supporting independent games and media. It ensures we can keep doing stupid silly things. Like the road trip, or like when we do Summer Game Fest and we do GB at Night and all that stuff. Oh that's possible because you all are at our backs and ensuring we can keep doing things the way we like. So thank you everybody who has supported us. If you want to support us, you can go to giant bomb dot com slash join become a premium member. That is it really does make a big difference, and it gets you access to ad free versions of our shows, gets you access to premium exclusives, like like I keep saying, we continue to work on Cat Jurffman, which is our first premium blight where we're we're gonna start bringing in some of our our other friends to be blighted and keep those things pretty special. Starting with Jeff playing Catwoman for the GameCube. We're keeping that under wraps a reason. You need to earn the right to see this man playing this game in that costume. It's it's quite a beautiful thing. Oh wow, Yeah, so that's happening right now. Of course, there's this is the run Sewer Shark. New episodes of that are going up a couple times per week most of the time unless we have something else special like Nine Lives. There's a new episode of Nine Lives happening, one of the best edits Will's done so far. But people should go Just go watch that episode if you haven't, if you haven't caught up, just go watch this one right now.
Speaker 2: It's really worth it.
Speaker 1: As far as this show goes though, most weekdays, I Jeff Grubb, will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you are watching live on Twitch welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game Mess Mornings, or find the RSS feed on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Hello YouTube.
Speaker 1: All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the Morning Mess with PlayStation's profits jump despite declining PS five shipments and playtime, Sony's gaming revenue barely removed, barely moved during its latest quarter, but operating income increased thirty seven percent. That sounds great until you look a little bit closer. PS five shipments dropped sharply. Third party software weekend and total PlayStation playtime declined. Sony's game and network services sales essentially were flat at nine hundred and seventy three point one billion yen, while operating income increase from one hundred and forty eight billion yen to two hundred two billion yen. Sony attributed the profit improvement principally to favorable exchange rates and refunds of US tariffs. So both things that are are temporary ephemeral, especially the exchange rates, and then well, especially on top of that the tariffs that's going to be like a one time payment. Those benefits outweighed restructuring cost, next generation platform investment, reduced hardware sales and weaker non first party software. Sony shipped one point six million ps fives, down from two point five million one year earlier, so they really are kind of getting hit by that those price increases. You're dropping it by almost a million in the lead up to Grand Theft Auto six, although I guess we could probably expect those numbers to jump back up once that game's actually here. This does bring lifetime shipments of PlayStation five to ninety five point three million PS four and PS four and PS five software sales. Meanwhile, we're virtually flat at sixty six point one million units. First party sales, however, did fall six million units, and eighty two percent of full game sales were digital. As always worth playing out that does the full game in sales include games that are digital only, So it's kind of little applest Oranges there. PlayStation reached a June record of one hundred and twenty five million active users, although quarterly playtime declined four percent. Yeah, so their full year they're up or whatever they're they're they're making a lot of money over at PlayStation. That continues to be the story. They've found ways to make a lot of money. This most recent one. It's like, oh, there's a lot of indicators here, Jason of maybe they maybe there's maybe it's dead, there's a downturn or something, and there people are playing fewer games. Maybe there's more people online, but they're spending less time playing games. Although a lot of times those two factors do you go hand in hand. When you have more players, the average playtime goes down. But this is, yeah, this is something where it's like, Okay, there's a lot of you know, signals here that maybe things are slowing down, but PlayStation finds a way to make more money. That has been their stated goal recently. They were like, hey, we want to make more money from the same users, or maybe even fewer users, but we want to make more money from them, and they're doing that. But it seems to be the way that they're doing that is the luck of a favorable exchange rate and tariffs. Probably not sustainable, right, They probably got to get back to like putting out video games.
Speaker 3: No, it's a it's a it's a foundation built on stroll or built on sticks instead of a full instead of a solid foundation of the money they're trying to make. The fact that you read all those financial statististic statistics out and had to keep saying, yes, it says this, but this is the thing. However, the fact that you have to keep throwing those caveats in there should tell you everything you need to know about the sort of precarious situation they find themselves in, whether they want to admit it or not. A lot of this just seems like smoke and mirrors, like hey, look we're up. Look at this operating income. We're good we're doing the right thing. Everything we want to do makes perfect sense, as we'll see in our next story. But I don't think that it's quite the solid foundation that the betting that they want it to be. And when you don't have a quarter where you're getting a massive payment in tariff refunds, or you don't have a full game sales, if that full game sales continues to drop out of protest, maybe a percentage point here and there, but still enough to notice. Then again, as you said, it also includes all digital games, So how much does that stat really matter. It's a way too many questions here to be full confident in PlayStation's overall position. That being said, they are very good at getting money out of the people who already support them. I'm curious how many of those one point six million ps fives were upgrades or even replacements of broken ones to prepare for the grand theft auto onslaught early.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I it's there are a lot of impressive, big.
Speaker 3: Numbers, but none that I'm like, yeah, they are doing the right thing right.
Speaker 1: Nothing that like goes like, oh they've found the cure to what ails them or whatever. You know, we talk about these companies desperately needing growth, big returns and uh, and that is nowhere in these numbers. For the most part, I guess you could say PlayStation reached the June record of one hundred and twenty five monthly active users. Okay, that is that's growing. That's that is a record for a June Uh. And that does suggest that they have a foundation they're there to build on. Can you get those people to be spending more money? Kind of feels like everyone's happed out already. So that's the suspicion I think most people have that we have as consumers, right, we feel that way. And does that extrapolate across the entire user base? I think most of us would put our money on. Yes, that does extrapolate pretty well to the rest of the user base. That everyone's feeling pretty tapped out, and that when PlayStation is looking for an extra dollar here or there, that that's going to be harder and harder to come by. So like, okay, if that's the case, then the growth does kind of have to return back to finding more people to buy PlayStations, and they're more expensive than ever as grand Theft Auto six come out is coming out, which was going to be the sort of inciting event that was going to lead to that return to growth. They'll probably still hit that, but does it feel like long term sustainable. I think we're all kind of just sitting around go waiting to find out if this is something they can take the momentum of and build on going forward.
Speaker 3: And I don't I if I had to guess right now, sitting in my chair two months before or four months before, whatever it is, I am not confident. I think it's just going to be like a flash in the pan and once because because runs Grand Theft Auto. Once it comes out and people play it, and then they have that moment where they sit down and they go, okay, what next after every big release that now, granted, Grand theftot is probably going to be huge, if Rockstar games are any indication, but they're not infinite. They're not making They may say that there's going to be some things that you can do forever, but until online also hits, I don't think you can really say that with full confidence. So eventually, the majority of people playing Grand Theft Auto are going to be done and either look for the next game or go back to their normal lives because Grand Theft Auto is the only game that they play, right or the sports games or what have you. So I think they're putting a lot of eggs into a basket that already has a hole in it, and the eggs are slowly falling out of the bottom, and they're just loading eggs on the top and they think that they still have a full basket, but they're really just circulating the same shit over and over again.
Speaker 1: Or they do like ignore like maybe at some point, like putting more eggs in to fix the basket or whatever. And that does seem to be like the current strategy of like let's make as much as we can from what we have right now, and it's at some point you're gonna have to return to like finding ways to replenish that.
Speaker 3: But you say people being tapped out or being tired. It was kind of having a conversation with a very good friend of mine who right now, even though they they're a fellow writer an editor, so they have to stay on top of things, they're reviewing things or whatever, but when it comes to their downtime, they're not thinking Sony and Microsoft. They're not even really thinking Nintendo at the moment. They're thinking Amberniic and i Ayn and all of those people, because for all the worries that we have of the future of video games, there is an infinite backlog of retro games from previous consoles that none of us had the time to play when we were kids or when we were adults, that we could just side. You know what, let's pick a year, let's pick a game, and let's sit down and play that on this cool device from China.
Speaker 2: And I don't I.
Speaker 3: Don't know that the the big players are really putting as much stock into that as a potential competitor as they should be, because that would be technically acknowledging the high seas for lack of a better term.
Speaker 2: But I don't know, it seems to be a legitimately growing thing, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that the big companies would feel like if we are suddenly competing with those upstart Chinese companies that are putting out emulation handhelds, it's like they're like, that's not a business we even want to be because that is a hardware business about about retro And I think they're like, we're we're doing something bigger and different over here.
Speaker 2: And I think many of us are excuse men.
Speaker 1: Many of us are feeling like, that's not how we feel, and we kind of don't care what you're doing. We just want to play some games and one of like, there's one way to do that right now. That feel sort of divorced from this insane march toward capitalism's inevitable end.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Think you know, not that the Chinese companies aren't trying to make money.
Speaker 2: They are, but they are.
Speaker 1: They're just putting out a product and instead of trying to get us in the endless service treadmill. And I think that is a distinguishable difference. That is something that people notice and even if they can't put it in words, they feel it. And there's just something that feels nicely removed from that march when you kind of get into the handheld game real quick. There's another tidbit here. Sony had an interesting warning about adjustments to its fiscal year twenty twenty six first party roadmap, and that was included as a negative factor, so basically meaning, hey, we have removed a big first party game or something from our roadmap that we had internally, and this is having a negative impact on our outlook.
Speaker 2: For the rest of the year.
Speaker 1: They did not specify what that was or what it could have been, And I'm not really sure. Do we have any idea, Jason, I'm not. I really don't know where to begin with this.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: My first thought would be Marathon fans fair Games? Is it fair Games? Could be fair Games? Is Marathon starting to lag? Could it be something in there? I imagine it's live service, right, because they don't have any first party unless it's fiscal year twenty twenty six and they just announced lal Fay as February.
Speaker 2: Maybe that already has to be bumped. That would be crazy. Yeah, that'd be nuts. Right. Did they announce it and in the next week they have to bump it.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's what it is, but I'm just I'm just prognosticating.
Speaker 1: Probably is fair Games. It probably is something Horizon game. That's an interesting uh point as well. Yes, the Horizon gatherers. Is that what it's called gathering grounds or whatever? Whatever the live service Horizon is. That's an interesting point too. I hadn't thought of that it could be something like that. It's one of those I think, probably more.
Speaker 3: Than as someone else puts up in chat. Maybe there was intended DLC follow up for Sorrows that is not Maybe they're they're a low one sorrows.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It could be, it could be, it could be one of many things. But that is an interesting little caveat to kind of just run at the end of this report here.
Speaker 1: I don't think people are saying heretic as an intergalactic the heretic prophet. I think it's like, I don't think that one was ever gonna come out.
Speaker 2: I don't think it was ever.
Speaker 3: I don't that one strikes me as a PS six if I'm being honest.
Speaker 1: So it's very it's gonna be late PS five for sure. Yeah, Okay, so I don't know. Maybe we get more word on what that is, but I would lean towards Horizon or Fair Games for that for sure.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's get to the next one.
Speaker 1: Sony, as part of this UH did acknowledge the disc backlash finally, but it says it will continue its plans. This comes from Chris going in at VGC. Sony is broken its silence on the backlash to its decision to stop making PlayStation discs. The company announced a month ago that physical disc games will be discontinued for PlayStation consoles starting from January twenty twenty eight, and the decision continues to see fierce debate online now. During a Q and A session following its Q one twenty twenty six earnings announcement, Sony CFO Lentau has addressed the situation, stating that Sony has been had been given, had been given the decision to go digital, only some thought for a while before announcing it, and that it doesn't plan to change its mind. We announced that from January twenty twenty eight onwards, we will no longer be manufacturing game discs, so we announced it one and a half years ahead.
Speaker 2: She said, this was interpreted by Sony for us.
Speaker 1: There are various reasons we made this decision, the biggest being that digitalization of contents overall has been progressing. That's the big factor. It's not just for PlayStation before all kinds of content. Digitalization is progressing. And so when we think about the future, who put in a lot of thought about a thought of thought and time and we cautiously considered this and we came to this conclusion, and we're going to cautiously move this forward to how also acknowledged the backlash to their decision on social media for the first time, stating that while Sony was aware of players reaction to the news, its focus was on how to keep them interested in PlayStation games when it does go all digital. To this decision, we have received various opinions and people have strong views. When we understand that the community has put forward those views to us, games are loved by many people. It's a form of entertainment that's loved by people, and it's connected to people's fond memories in many cases, and so we understand those emotions. We want to consider that and in the future digital ecosystem, how do we engage the gamers is something that we would like to continue to explore.
Speaker 2: So a couple things here.
Speaker 1: First of all, the fact that they did even acknowledge it to me is like they recognized they had to say something to the investors and the analysts who were going to be asking questions because they were very likely like going to bring it up. So that is so sort of acknowledging that the backlash is too big to ignore, right, But of course they're stall they're saying they're going to move ahead with it. I will point out that you know, Sony CFO Lintau is the person who said their goal right now is to make more money from the people they already have, and this, this choice, this decision is a million percent in line with that, where it's like, how can we improve our profit margins? Well, there's one thing we can do, and that is cut out the profit that we share with retail when we put out a physical disc. If we are putting out digital codes, we can we can sort of renegotiate that side of things. If we are still going to sell codes in stores, we can get a much That's part of the line here is they're going to get a much bigger percentage cut Sony is if they're selling codes on or codes in a box, and then they also expect more people just to go to the PlayStation store instead. Since essentially there's no difference now between getting a code in a box and getting a code on the store, it's going to function the exact same way. So they're going to be able to cut out a huge percentage of profit that was once going to retail stores, and that is something.
Speaker 2: They don't want to give up.
Speaker 1: So that is like where their narrow focuses at this moment, and so Jason like, do you feel like, is there any crack in this right here where it's like it feels like there's a chance for people to help convince Sony to reverse this, or it's the momentum too strong.
Speaker 3: I think the fact that they are acknowledging it at all is a sign that there may be a slight crack in the armor. I do agree that their tunnel vision is very very strong, and very very focused and very very narrow. But the fact that this even had was even brought up, they could have simply said, no comment, we have nothing to say, We're still going to do it. But they acknowledged the player's backlash, and all that's going to do is empower more backlash. They are listening, keep it up right, I've been on the internet once or twice. I know how this works, and I'm sure you do too. I don't think this is going to stop anything. If anything, it's going to increase their fervor to the point where, again, I don't know that they're going to ever reverse this decision unfortunately. I think the play is to see if we can get them to delay it. Yeah, you know what I mean, maybe delay it for a little while and have them reassess, try to find a different way to increase those profit margins. I don't think that they're ever going to fully cancel it. I think this is something they are setting their ways, and it's also something as awful as it would make them look, that is reversible. Right If they do this in January twenty twenty eight and it's such a disaster that they have to reverse course, they will have egg on their face, don't get me wrong, But it is something that is possible, right. Yeah, I don't think you should let down the pressure. I don't think you should stop telling them that this is something.
Speaker 2: That bothers you.
Speaker 3: If it bothers you strongly enough, I think this is absolutely a cause worth putting time and energy into, especially for those in rural areas where the internet sucks, and for those who count on things like bargain bins to be their gaming outlet, which still happens in this day and age, despite what Sony and Microsoft would tell you.
Speaker 2: But I I would.
Speaker 3: Go into that with the knowledge that, at least potentially temporarily, you're not going to have discs on Sony for a while. On PlayStation for a while. What that looks like, how it goes will find out. Well, yep, the fact that they're acknowledging this is to me a sign that it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that. I think that just like there's a I do just think it's a dent in the armor. It's not much more than that, but it is. It does show that, like you can get the big behemoth to to acknowledge something here, and there's there's just no easy pathway for them to reverse this, like it it like Sony's not going to suddenly like change their mind on the manufacturing plant, Like I don't think that's going to happen. Like they are in the works of turning that into some like Len's facility for some AI bullshit or whatever.
Speaker 2: It'll make a lot more money for them.
Speaker 1: The only way that this like sort of does get like worked around is by bringing in some or like giving permission for some third party company to pick up the manufacturing at a much smaller scale, but like to use the Sony DRM like that would be this like the solution, and they of course have not like ruled that out explicitly, but it's also something that they've they've given no reason to believe that they have any recourse for us to play the discs we already have so to take was on optical disk drives, let alone giving a third party the rights to get into their DRM and to print discs on the behalf of third party publishers. That it does seem like Sony wants a clean break here and they believe that, like they're that they can probably just see this through and get to that point. I'm not of the opinion that there's no way to reverse this though because of that plant shutting down. There's there's going to be a way, And you know, I think that maybe it does come down to like shifting from discs to to like cards like Nintendo for their handheld That just is such a massive shift and it doesn't really solve a lot of the problems people have with I already have a massive collection of discs that I want to keep playing. What does that mean for me? Well, in that situation, you would still be screwed. So it's I think once you start like talking about the specifics of how this could work if they were to reverse the decision, it gets pretty messy pretty fast. And then I think they're like, this isn't worth that headache, but we're not even going to try it. So it would almost have to be like a complete package person entered by a some third party to Sony being like, it's a turnkey solution, we can handle everything for you. And I don't think that exists, and so that's where a lot of the pessimism I think comes from Jay.
Speaker 3: Some some people in the chat are mentioning like a limited run or an I am a bit that that that sort of physical manufacturing, but I don't think that's more.
Speaker 2: Boutique, niche, bespoke.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but that might be like what we're left with if there is something here right like that might might like like sort of vinyl in music where it's like, yeah, it's getting bigger, but yeah.
Speaker 3: If the PS six doesn't have a disc, what's the point, right, right, So you're gonna but you're going to manufacture stuff for dead consoles like that. There's there's no longevity in that either. It's it's a it's quite a conundrum they find themselves in, to be honest.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's so uh yeah, I do think I do think that people should like, it's your last chance to like save this. So people, I think people, if they're if they're serious about it, should continue to kind of approach it the exact way they have been, which is to make every single thing related to Sony PlayStation about this conversation to the point where partners cannot ignore it. And yeah, maybe they have to keep answering these questions and that does change something. But I think they're like, looking ten, fifteen, twenty years down the line, They're like, well, this line is going in that direction. Eventually all of you are going to be digital just the way, by the way things are going. So if we could just stick this out, we'll get on the other side eventually. But it kind of feels like they should have just let that happen naturally instead. Sure, sure, all right, let's take a quick break when we come back. Plenty more headlines to get into. If you want to skip out on these messages. Gimepop dot Com, slush Joint has the at reversions. You can get them there. We will be right back. It's Game mess Mornings. I'm Jeff Grub That's Jason Finale.
Speaker 2: Jason. How's Magic Con? Amsterdam is amazing out of it? If you've been there.
Speaker 1: I've been there yet. There for us for a gaming conference that was very business focused, but it was excellent. Man, what a cool place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was the first time I had ever been to Europe let alone and just Amsterdam, so.
Speaker 2: That was that was cool.
Speaker 3: The amount of bikes I saw and people on bikes was like heartwarming, Like I didn't think and I've quickly learned that there was a bike path and a walking path and if you were walking in the bike path, they did not give a fuck.
Speaker 2: They would run your ass.
Speaker 3: Over with impunity and yell at you saying you deserved it. But the con itself was really cool. I had four big pieces go up, three on game Spot, one on Kotaku, talking with a whole bunch of people designing the games, and we did a whole big thing on the secret Layer stuff. We could talk about that at the end when you ask what I have going on. But Amsterdam was amazing. Walking everywhere was nice. We were walking distance to the convention from our hotels, just walking down the little street, seeing all the shops. Getting dinner at I had a chicken like some sort of chicken sandwich, had some deli, some Italian deli, right on this right on this main street. Man, I'm still thinking about that.
Speaker 2: It was so good.
Speaker 3: But yeah, very cool, very very cool city. And I hope to get back there next year because they're going back, uh four Magic cons next year. Uh Detroit, Oh really, Tokyo, Las Vegas had Amsterdam?
Speaker 1: Okay, hell yeah, maybe I can come visit in the Detroit Detroit.
Speaker 2: Detroit when did when? When is the Detroit February It's the first one of the year.
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe I go to see like a Lions game and then and then like a stay in town or whatever for it.
Speaker 2: Okay, that'd be fun.
Speaker 1: Uh all right, let's see here man, Amsterdam. When I was there, I remember like making a point to go visit the like the bridge where they had the first stock exchange.
Speaker 2: And just like you fuckers don't know what you did.
Speaker 3: To us, Yeah you mentioned that there. I saw in front of some of the apartments on the street there were these golden squares talking about his uh and if you look, I took a picture of one. If you look very closely at the golden square, it's got the name of the person who lived in that apartment during World War Two, during the occupation. What time they were removed from their home, and what time and what day, not not what time, what day and what day they were removed from their lives. It's a very and it's just these squares just line the streets. It's not a plaque. I would not call it a plaque. A plaque commemorates, in my opinion, something a little more positive.
Speaker 2: This was not good.
Speaker 3: Yeah maybe maybe maybe Definitionally it's.
Speaker 2: A plaque, but I don't call it a plaque.
Speaker 3: I don't call this particular thing a plaque.
Speaker 2: It was very sobering. Yeah, realize that's you.
Speaker 1: You know, you can walk around any corner and Europe and find something like that a lot of times and say, oh my god, yeah it can hit. Yeah, the lines are going to be playing February, but you don't know what you're talking about. They're winning the supermow uh yeah, absolutely, don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: All right, let's see here.
Speaker 1: Xbox Boss Boss Asha Charmas's console is the core of its strength.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Asha Sharma told employees that Xbox must return to player and revenue growth by the end of fiscal twenty twenty seven next June, and restore profits to industry norms. Her four priorities are the core is strengthened, the platform led by console. The content plan is to turn games that are already popular into bigger global franchises. It's nice to want things once again.
Speaker 2: Creation.
Speaker 1: Basically, the idea behind this is established Minecraft as a creator platform is like the platform for creators, and to expand the world's fans are already loved by connecting them more In these games a lot of just easy things to say, words are cheap sort of situations. The most consequential statement is that console generates the majority of Xbox revenue, though and remains the foundation of its audience, and it is still the company's flagship experience. Xbox will also organize its studios less as decentralized individ teams and more around its strongest franchise is the most promising new concept concepts, which is what we've been kind of hearing recently.
Speaker 2: That's part of the big reset or whatever.
Speaker 1: Charms Timetable calls for a return to growth in fiscal year twenty twenty seven, meaningful acceleration of growth in fiscal year twenty twenty eight and twenty nine and sustained double digit player and engagement growth with industry leading margins by twenty thirty. She says three Xbox franchises already generate more than one billion annually. She didn't say what those were. It's gotta be like Minecraft, Call of Duty and Candy Crush probably, although she does, she did not identify them and promises a greater investment in Minecraft, King and Microsoft's casual games operation.
Speaker 2: Is that okay? So?
Speaker 1: I think when we look at this, Jason, it's a man a bunch of stuff where it's like, yeah, of course you want to make money and you want to see growth and you want profit. What is really like taking your games to turn them into global franchises. Haven't you been trying to do that for years? What is different here?
Speaker 3: I think she just every morning she has her little business alphabets and she makes the words and she eats the words, and she's like, ooh, my vocabulary is rising.
Speaker 2: This is what we're going to talk about today.
Speaker 3: She ate a lot of alphabets on this and during this interview, didn't she.
Speaker 2: She even came up with the four c's man.
Speaker 3: The only thing this is missing to hit business lingo bingo is synergy and paradigm like what the what the fuck are.
Speaker 2: We doing here? I bet they're in there somewhere too. Yeah, what is this? This is?
Speaker 3: You could have taken this piece of text that you put in our nice little news rundown and send it back in time to the year two thousand and it would be exactly well maybe not Minecraft, but everything.
Speaker 2: Else, it would be exactly the same.
Speaker 3: Turn our games into global franchisees, strengthen the platform led by console expand the world's fans already love what.
Speaker 2: The fuck is happening here?
Speaker 1: And like the like the goals themselves, like double digit player engagement growth and industry leading margins by fiscal year twenty thirty.
Speaker 2: That's aggressive. That is no different.
Speaker 1: Like Phil Spencer was well known for having very aggressive goals for the company, and it never it didn't lead to much because the games weren't delivering. And I just when we look at this and we see the recent layoffs and the morale declining across the board at Xbox, are we really expecting the games to be better going forward? I'm not like that's that needs to be like the thing that they're doing first and foremost, if they're actually serious about all this, and none of the decisions. None of the decisions other than this idea of we're going to sort of change the focus of the studios being autonomous and on their own over here too, like being like, oh, we're they're going to be focused on our biggest pillars and we're going to kind of tell them what to work on. That's the one change, and I don't think that changes much.
Speaker 3: Somebody in chat just pointed out something that's probably true now that it's in my head. Co Pilot Death wrote this, didn't it? Oh yeah, they of course Copilot definitely she she asked copilot, and co Pilot spat out a bunch of shit that.
Speaker 2: Was she does that for everything. Literally, yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: Obvious and what she wanted to hear. And bang, now we're talking about core content creation connection, the four SE's of Xbox. Yeah. Like, I you know, I go back to my buddy who told me he was getting tired of of gaming and looking back at retro and I'm finding it hard to argue. I mean, we're coming into one of the most active release schedules in some time, between Yeah next week and No and Grand Theft Auto in November, and I just like, I have two reviews lined up, which is great, but and for from a freelance perspective, I'll probably have some more. But like, I just have no desire right now. I'm playing Tomadacci Life still. I think I'm approaching a hundred hours of Tomadocci life. Tifa Lockhart and Homer Simpson divorced yesterday. It was a tragedy. Oh that's there's some very their sun lock part is very upset. It's it's just I find it's so hard to be inspired to play current video games.
Speaker 2: For fun now. Yeah, it used to be the only thing I did.
Speaker 1: There's like there's like definitely like a indie games where it's a Tarotech legion, like man man, just give me a video game, mass video game that's so easy to play. Yeah, but yeah, the kind of constant I don't, at least from these bigger, bigger companies. It's very easy for me to get jaded very quickly about them because they just don't seem interested in the same things that we're interested in, which I just don't think is changed here with Xbox. But the way she lays this stuff out, I don't think that she's suddenly moving this company in a direction to be more in line with the people who are very excited about Xbox consoles still, which is a dwindling number, let alone being able to sort of capture people who are like set the Xbox aside as even a possibility that they're gonna they are like, they have a huge uphill battle and so far, the weapons that they have deployed there to sort of get people excited again are a couple of exclusives, Gears of War e Eday and Clockwork Revolution, And I think, I mean, if we ask people, I don't think most people are going to go out and buy an Xbox for either of those. And even if they had a list of that was like ten games deep at this point, and they really just need a couple of ones that move the entire world, and they've not been able to deliver one of those in a very long time.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: See, they compare this to this to the PlayStation story, right, because they kind of sound the same in terms of their overall goals. Yes, PlayStation has the built in fan base that they can milk. Yes, Xbox might have one, but it is not nearly the same size. They've definitely sort of alienated a lot of them. Yes, Yes, so they are very much on the back foot. And it says a lot that PlayStation came out with this no more disk thing and super pr focused all of us sudden, we need to put our best forward forward.
Speaker 2: Xbox hasn't said a damn word. Yep.
Speaker 3: That that sort of tells me that they're just as much in this to maximize profit too, that which I already knew well. The fact they didn't immediately come out with the the repost let's say, when the and we're keeping discs just like Sony did to them in twenty thirteen, Yeah, that's a lot.
Speaker 2: They're not They're just not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're not as serious as they could be, right, And so what does that really telling us about the rest of this. It's like, Yeah, there's probably not as much serious thought going in behind us as we as you might think. And I think most people don't think there's much going into it at all. So yeah, I definitely.
Speaker 2: All right. Yeah, people people going out like Man Perfect.
Speaker 1: Dark Vow two, stuff that like people were excited about that stuff gets canceled, You lay off thirty two hundred people or in the works of doing so.
Speaker 2: That can bump people out.
Speaker 1: There's the BDS boycott, which I think people are like, I wasn't going to cross that line no matter what. There's a million reasons not to show up for Microsoft, like you hate using Windows and hear the next system might be more of a PC.
Speaker 2: Like, there's a million reasons.
Speaker 1: People have to just be like, not give this ecosystem a chance. Again, the only thing that would overcome that is a game that's impossible to ignore. And I will not believe that they will be able to deliver one of those until they actually do.
Speaker 3: And unfortunately, they're under no obligation to do it because yesterday, I believe I read Microsoft had the largest market cap recovery of all time, like they said, a record for market cap gain or something like that yesterday.
Speaker 2: So they think.
Speaker 3: Whatever they're doing is working. Oh yeah, it's all based on the AI bubble, of course, but yeah, like I don't. They haven't produced it, and like you said, I don't think they're really going.
Speaker 1: To assassage Creed Odyssey. Meanwhile, got the Nolan bump. This is from Reese Elliott over at Alnea Analytics shuts out to Reese.
Speaker 2: The Odyssey hit.
Speaker 1: Cinemas on the seventeenth of July and the cultural spillover into games was pretty immediate. Players naturally connected the film's classical Greek setting to Ubisoft's twenty eighteen Assassin's Create Odyssey. By the way, I got to Phoenix down moment both Dan and Mike at misconvention when we were looking at one of the missboxes that was published by Ubisoft, and I originally, you biquitous software. That's what Ubisoft means, and they're both like what And then immediately ac think they were both like that can't be true and just walked away before U before Yeah, but now that's that's why it's called ubi soft. Combined daily active users across Steam, Xbox and PlayStation sat around one hundred and twenty two thousand on the seventeenth of July. By the twenty seventh, twenty seventh of July, ten days after the film opened, they hit two hundred and thirty three thousand. That's a ninety percent surge in engagement at one point eight x the game's pre film July baseline. Basically, just like they saw a bunch of positive numbers here, there was a twenty six percent pickup on Steam PlayStation nearly doubled its daily active users. Xbox exploded for daily active users for this game to one hundred and thirty four percent. Excuse me, Yeah, I think we continue to like always point out there's often times a game property will have like a movie or TV show that does pretty well, and it sort of always does bounce right back to the success in games, and it's like, oh, there's a lot of missed opportunities, and this feels like one of Obviously we were not going to get a game based on Chris Nolan's Odyssey, but there would have been a time in like gaming, like twenty years ago where people would have like been like, man, Chris Nolan's new movies come out, I want to have a game that is in that vibe ready to go around that time. That's also not really possible now, but we do see people craving this stuff and wanting to go explore these spaces that they see in film in a video game and assess it's creasity sort of picking that up and like it's somewhat related. It's got the Greek setting, it does have Odyssey in the name, really benefiting from this.
Speaker 3: But see they don't have to do that now because they have social media teams who want to be cool with the kids, right, And they may have done this. I may have missed it, but if I was working on ubisol social media, I would have put oppos I would have I would have seen if Odyssey was like going on sale, right, and then put up a post that said something like did you see Christopher no One's new epic? Well you ought to see this Assassin screen in twenty eighteen or some dumb shit like that, and then that I mean that that writes itself. Right, Listen to the siren song of Assassin's Creed and come play Odyssey. Make the puns people, It works, Odyssey, these nuts. That's what you gotta say.
Speaker 2: Where are the odd world? People? Where odd World? This is your moment.
Speaker 1: Here's the real question. Is Super Mario Odyssey seeing a bump in sales?
Speaker 3: I will tell you that Super Mario Odyssey is seeing a bump in playtime in this house? Okay, nowhere, my Charlotte the Younger, take take a break from her eight different islands of Tomonaci life. I wish I was kidding two hundred hours that kid uh and decided to jump back into Super Mario odassey. I don't know why, but they're playing again. I respect it too, and I wonder if it's just because they kept hearing the word and being like, oh yeah, they have no idea why there's like compelled to play with Rio Odyssey. But yes, as far as like general stats, I am genuinely curious to if Super Mario sees the bump. I don't think it will. I think it's about the Greek portion, but it does. Does Mario have a Greek outfit? Can you put on a sport now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Right? Is there a toga? Maybe?
Speaker 3: Like I don't know there there might be a guess who's playing Odyssey after this?
Speaker 2: I guess I booted up too.
Speaker 1: And it's like I don't even Yeah, Greeks were togas, right, that's close enough. Nintendo was released in two canceled Virtual Boy games. Nintendo was turning Zero Racers into Hopper also known as Dragon Hopper, into official releases on August fourth. Both were developed for the original Virtual Boy in nineteen ninety six, but never commercially released, as Nintendo put that thing out of its misery really quick. Zero Eracers is an F zero adjacent racer. You race your tubes. If people remember Arrow gauge for n sixty four. It kind of looks like that, and then Vhopper is an Intelligent Systems action game about platforming between floating spaces and transforming into a dragon. Always fun to remember it. Man, Intelligent Systems has just been there for forever with Nintendo, and I think they still don't own them. It's still just an external studio that works on Nintendo games exclusively for the most part. The Virtual Boy application is also adding selectable display colors, while Nintendo Music has received five Virtual Boy soundtracks.
Speaker 2: Super Mario Sunshine.
Speaker 1: Sunshine also joins the Switch to GameCube library on August thirteenth.
Speaker 2: It's it's still summer.
Speaker 3: It goes Unite. Our time has come. The game's underrated.
Speaker 2: It is. It is not good as far as the other three D super Mario underrated and overrated. You can find that audi.
Speaker 3: Bonny col Antonio, the wonderfully Italian fellow editor writer of mine, had a great point. If you're complaining about the camera in Super Mario Sunshine, tell me your elden Ring playtime. Yeah, if it's high, I don't want to hear it. Yes, the camera stinks, but I have a soft spot for Sunshine I remember being completely enamored with that game when it came out back in the day, so I will definitely load it up again through this to cancel Virtual Boy games. That is a sort of a scenario that I didn't really think about, with these virtual libraries being able to bring back games that were canceled or were you know, left to the ether somehow or some way, kind of like how the Super Nintendo Classic brought back Star Fox two. Yeah, yeah, very couple years ago. I think that's that's kind of cool that we get to play these games finally in some form or fashion. I will admit that the Virtual Boy app on my switch to has yet to be booted up, and I have you have a bang thing still in the box to my right. I just have to sit and open it and get myself to do it. But that goes back to what we're talking about. It just not being inspired lately. Maybe zero Racers and this tubular core is the Internet is a series of tubes.
Speaker 2: It was zero racers Racers. Yep, Well we'll convince me to do that.
Speaker 1: I'll check out the Hopper that's Intelligence Systems has always been one of my favorite studios, even when they put out. Was that that Abraham Lincoln steam punk strategy game that really just a Steam Yes, that.
Speaker 2: Knuck out the place. Yes, what a weird game that was.
Speaker 1: I remember being at E three and being like, Uh, all right, it's got it like a secret game they're going to announce in this room.
Speaker 2: Let's come see it. And it was code named Steam.
Speaker 1: And I was still excited because I love the intelligence systems.
Speaker 2: And then I played it. Yeah, we viewed that game all right.
Speaker 1: The Lego PlayStation is reportedly coming in October with a limited time Astrobot set. This is from Chris Sculling at VGC. More information on the Lego PlayStation set, leaked earlier this year has emerged. Back in March, insider Lego Minecraft Goat, who has a lengthy track record of leaking upcoming Lego sets and their pricing, stated that a Lego replica of the Sony PlayStation was in the works.
Speaker 2: The report claimed that the set will cost.
Speaker 1: One hundred and sixty dollars and will consist of eleven pieces, including at least the console and one controller.
Speaker 2: Never forget now Lego.
Speaker 1: A leak er brick Tap has given more information on the set, including a likely release date. And news of a gift with purchase promotion. According to brick Tap, the Lego PlayStation will be released on October first, and will be accompanied by a gift with Purchase promotion, including the an Astrobot set, like a tiny little set based on Astrobot. The official Lego site frequently adds gifts with purchase sets as part of a limited time offer alongside major set releases. These aren't sold by Lego as individual standalone products and can usually only be acquired.
Speaker 2: As part of a promotional deal. So we're going to.
Speaker 1: Get Astrobot where you have to show up early and often to get it.
Speaker 2: God, I like astro Bot a whole lot.
Speaker 1: I like these old console builds that they've done. For the most part. God, I think I might have to talk myself out of not doing this or into not doing this, because I have several unbuilt Lego sets sitting over there, and if I add another one, I'm gonna like have so much guilt I'll never bring myself around to actually start building them ever.
Speaker 2: So I need to just like build a set and then maybe buy this.
Speaker 3: Well, then start building, because I start building. Yeah, we've met a couple of times Jeff you're you're gonna be there. You're going to line up for this one. I know, start building it now. Exercise that guilt from yourself.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Interesting thing about this Lego PlayStation that I heard. There are no circular pieces because there aren't any discs. They aren't allowed to be any discs. Oh, very good regular pieces and yat long ones. You can't have any circles. There's a man there. Just crush them, yeah, break them a half. Now, this is cool. I kind of like that. See I'm not a Lego guy. I know many Lego guys uh and girls. Sorry, It's just like I've tried it. We've gotten Legos or the kids and we've built one and they get bored, and it just never was anything for me. But I am very happy for the PlayStation Lego fans who are going to be lining up for this, including Jeff Grubb as he just said, and like I am, a friend of mine who I think has texted me about this while we were speaking, who was probably very excited about it as well. If I had known about the later I don't know if if you mentioned it, but the the Lego Pokemon set with Charles or Blastois and Venus or the gift with purchase was the Canto Badge collection. I would have lined up for fou I known that's what Lego did, but yeah, this is this is cool. I think I think Lego was really coming into its own sort of as like I mean, it's always been there, but like I'm more.
Speaker 1: Like figuring out this video games done pretty well, like I think it would be. I would have been easy to sort of like, Okay, we're gonna get a bunch of video game licenses or work with partners in the video games space and kind of not phone it in but just get it wrong.
Speaker 2: Miss the mark.
Speaker 1: I think they under stand exactly who it is that is buying Lego and how to activate their nostalgia. And the fact that they're pairing this up with Astrobot. It's like they full because that's the audience. It's also an astrobot. It's got a bunch of like callbacks to previous PlayStation things. It's it's smart stuff, all right. A couple more stories we've got to get through. Orbital's friend Pass will provide easier co op and a free demo. This is from Jim Norman at Nintendo Life. Honestly, we thought we couldn't be any more sold on Orbitals after we went hands on with it earlier this month. The magic of game share meant that the switch to exclusive was already going to be pretty darn accessible, But shape Farm and Kepler Interactive have announced this week that the game will also get a Global Friends Pass app, making it even easier to play with the pal. Much like what we've seen previously with Hayes Light joints like It Takes Too and Split Fiction, the Global Friends Pass lets you play online with a pal even if neither of you own the game. You'll be able to download the Global Friends Pass app like if like one or the other doesn't own the game, I think is what they mean. And then as long as your pal has a full copy of the game, they'll be able to invite you along to play completely free of charge.
Speaker 2: So it's like, yeah, it's cool. There's multiple ways to do this now.
Speaker 1: So they do have game Share, so that is like the streaming version of like one person has it and they stream some other version, like because it's it is like two different perspectives. Games share still a little bit magic to me, where it's like, I guess you probably are downloading some client to be able to replicate both games at the same time. But then this is the game pass or sort of game thing where it's like, hey, if there's a code here, now you can play it at no additional charge.
Speaker 2: Basically we're getting two copies of the game.
Speaker 1: So this is smart because Orbitals is a game you have to play with another person, and that it's got to be such a barrier to entry. I think for a lot of these companies that they're worried about that, having every solution possible is maybe the only solution, because you've got to just make sure that people aren't worried about this, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're going to have people who just like to play the game play games by themselves, and when they hear that they're not going to be able to do that with this, immediately turn off. But there are people who will be enamored enough by the look of the game and the critical uh whatever critical response, whatever that may be. I assume it'll be good. I've heard nothing but good things about this that they're going to want to try it and to make that, like you said, barrier of entry for co op play as low as possible, and you and pull every lever you can makes perfect sense, especially for a new ip which already has that obstacle in front of it. I think this is very smart. I think it's very cool, and I think it's going to sell more copies of the game. Then people will realize. I think this could be just by giving people the chance to try it, they're going to say, oh, I want this from myself, and then they sold another copy.
Speaker 2: I think it's very smart. Yep, yep, it's a good deal.
Speaker 1: And you know, even if it's but you're right that it does lead into selling another copy of the game. But even if it didn't, like this like just gets that initial person to be like, don't have to do the Rigama role of going into sales pitch mode. I don't have to turn into into Leonardo DiCaprio on the phone being like that this is the most exciting thing that's come across my desk in the last six months. That whole thing, that that meme that goes around you can just feel like I got something for you.
Speaker 2: Just turn on your.
Speaker 1: Switch to and and then trust me, and like that is so much easier. And and then that the initial person who actually does spend the money on it. It's such a relief for them that they don't have to go through that that they're much more likely to make that purchase.
Speaker 2: It's just smart across the board. And then locally, locally on you switch one according to this that that's great. It's a switch exclusion. Oh that's right, Yes, that's right.
Speaker 1: Okay, y, Yes, if you're doing the local game share sort of thing, you could that the switch one can play there because it just acts like a switch to.
Speaker 2: And that in that scenario, that's.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, which which is even lower barrier, but it's great for families.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, EA, says Saudy. Takeover deal is set to close next week. Basically they've gotten through just about all the regulatory hurdles. This is rough because I was talking to Mike about this last night, Jason, and it's EA is already in a situation where I think we look at them and it's like they are trying to just grasp us and squeeze every dollar they can out of us based on what we are. What they're already putting out, which are these games filled with micro transactions. Anything that was interesting that they were putting out is very few and far between The one sort of non sports game they're putting out this year is Star Wars. Zero Company, the Respawn like basically published a game that they're making with a partner that was a bunch of former Xcom people. It's an Xcom Star Wars game. Okay, that's cool, But that's like the one thing they have that is before they're going to be settled with a twenty billion dollar debt on their books that they're going to have to service before they pay anyone going forward, They're going to have to pay like the interest payments on that going forward, and so that's money that just goes out the door and will not be able to go back into making more and better games. And they're already not making a lot. So I think my outlook on this is extremely great. And a list of like bad news that we just have on the show constantly, this is another one. It's like, oh my god, it's just gonna get worse for the EA, who was already terrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't like this one goddamn bit. If I'm being honest, I shouldn't be surprised it was. It's been looming over our heads, like the sort of dama cles for however long since it was first announced.
Speaker 2: This sucks.
Speaker 3: This sucks as someone who has a soft spot for SNK, a nostalgic saft spot for SNK, having to deal with that, Yes.
Speaker 2: That's involvement. I don't think about it. I just don't.
Speaker 1: I see sn K, I don't. My mind does not immediately go to Saudi Arabia. So I get excited for the first five seconds, and then I like go through the grief again. It's like the grief all over again every time, and.
Speaker 3: Then you remember the Christiana Ronaldo is in fatal fury where he has no business being, and you're just like, God, damn it, this again. We keep talking, keep going back to it, but just us back to my I'll just go play the retro versions.
Speaker 2: Yep. I didn't have to worry about it, and they can do right now.
Speaker 1: For a lot of us, it's like it's like we're not going to let get out of our hobby that we've been in our entire lives. We'll find ways to make it better, and yeah, we have a lot of options right now.
Speaker 2: That's nothing to do with all these sturdays.
Speaker 3: Yes, that backlog is always there and it's always getting bigger. So it's I don't but like what does it mean for like the NFL and for the NHL license, Like are they just gonna because what happens if you over I mean, I don't know. I mean though, if anything, those games are going to like probably.
Speaker 1: Get make more money in the immediate term because they will do even more monetization and and you know, those leagues will be able to get more pieces of that money, and so they won't be immediately like upset about this, and they'll also be pretty excited about the backstop of like you know, when it's time to renegotiate this stuff.
Speaker 2: We know Saudi Arabia's got the money, so we're gonna get's got the money too.
Speaker 1: Yes, Well, Andrew Wilson's got the money, and he's gonna and he's gonna get the big payday when his shares vest and he just fucking gets out of dodge so hard. We will never see that fucker ever again. At well, we'll see him on a board of directors of some like terrible AI company or something like that. All right, last story, Operative time fans are really curious what a change in the Remix r B rating means. It did get rated by the SRB. Usually that means we can expect the game sometime soon. We do know this game is twenty twenty six, we just haven't seen jack shit from it yet, so everyone's like, what is going on with this thing. On July twenty ninth, Nintendo quietly updated the official store page for the upcoming Opering of Time remake. The page now features an ESRB rating of E ten plus and list some of the content that earned the remake this rating. According to the store page, this iseld the remake includes animated blood, fantasy violence, not surprising considering the original game and the three DS remister both featured swords, combat and killing, but this remakes ESRB rating is missing something. The three DS remaster of the Ockeren of Time is also rated E ten, but mentions animated blood, fantasy violence, and jest of themes. The original Operainga of Time was simply rated E. I think people are wondering if it's they think the fairies are going to be redesigned, because the fairies, like there was like an upward angle and like you could kind of like see some underboob for like the five polygons that were there and uh, Nintendo mark that and that's gone. They're like, so are the fairies going to be redesigned? And what does that mean for the rest of the game. Basically, what I'm getting at, Jason is Nintendo needs to show this because people are losing their minds about this thing already and we have no idea what to expect.
Speaker 3: I think it's time we see a little bit of gameplay here in Nintendo, and a small parts, a small sicko part of my brain wants it to release on the same day as Grantha Photo six.
Speaker 2: Just go there's like a small chance that that does. I would love that.
Speaker 3: But no, that's I mean, I kind of get where they're coming from here, as that might be something that might happen. But like, as the article points out, Breath of the Wild's fairies weren't exactly buttoned up.
Speaker 1: No, that's some of the horniest characters ever in a video game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. I don't think anything. The noises that.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I got to turn this down in case someone walks into the room.
Speaker 2: That's true, that's true. Don't worry.
Speaker 3: A new generation of players are going to have their awakening from from O Corinder of times faeries.
Speaker 2: Don't worry about it all.
Speaker 1: Right, That does it for the headlines. We have a poll question from yesterday that we need to get into, and then no new poll question because we are.
Speaker 2: Gonna in the week with the Bomb twelve.
Speaker 1: Everybody, let me go ahead and refresh this get the most recent results. Oh yeah, have you ever used Nexus mods? Man sixty nine I said yes, they do and have used Nexus mods previously. Thirty one percent said no. We are a bunch of criminals here and we're probably installing all kinds of crazy stuff here in the Giant Bomb community.
Speaker 2: So shouts out to everybody.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate you guys being on the right side of history, because Mike Manady would be in the no category and that's just come on, man, grow up right.
Speaker 3: Grub Jason, I'm going to un because Ultimate Marvel versus Capcom three Community Edition keeps adding really cool characters. I think really want yeah, get in there, make it happen. I think I'm going to get in there soon and try. I've never moded, really, I've had one game in my life. I added the macho man sounds to Left for Dead.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: So I need to figure out how to mod things. But once I figure that out, yeah, I do really want to check this out.
Speaker 1: I also think Mike and Idy probably has to use Nexus mods, just like my mortal enemy when it comes to mods, and he knows how to play the part. All right, let's see here we did that, you know, let's go goa and wrap everything else up gi bomp today upf I think we're playing Machine Party. It's a party game that it's like a creepy party game, kind of PS one aesthetics. It looks like a lot of fun, but it also just looks like Mario Party. So we'll see what we end up dealing with here. I'm looking forward to it. It seems like a lot of fun. Don't miss that. That's later today. A bunch of stuff's gone up with the website all week, But what I'm interested in is here about Jason.
Speaker 2: Jason, what have you been up to? What do you got for people?
Speaker 3: So, as we talked about earlier in the show, my magic on Amsterdam coverage all went up last week. I had three articles on game spot one going over twenty twenty seven. Because the at the show they did all of their in universe stuff, none of their universes beyond IP collaborations yet that's coming later. One set set Underwater. One set it takes their their Neon they're Japanese like Neon cyberpunk aesthetic Japanese playing Kamagawa and mixes it with their Kaiju plane I Korea for big old mech Kaiju battle things. That's kind of cool. And then one uh in October is called Zalfear. It's bringing in afro fantasy and afro futurism for the first time with some of the most striking art I have ever seen. It looked very, very cool. So that that article. I did one about the Hobbit set, which is next. I am pixelating something crazy. What the hell's going to be?
Speaker 2: Okay we can still hear though, Yeah all right, good?
Speaker 3: So yeah, So I did an interview with the Hobbit folks. That's the next set. That whole set has now been revealed as of today, or will be revealed as of today, so my interview is up there as well.
Speaker 2: And then I did.
Speaker 3: One for Kataku about the Star Trek set in November, talking about turning Star Trek into Magic. The one fellow who worked on it used to work at the Star Trek experience in Las Vegas. So he's got that background, which is pretty neat. And then what is the last, Oh, secret Layer they announced like seventy nine Secret Layer cards, which is like they were bespoke limited time weird partnerships, Like they're doing a set of six cards with Low Fi Girl on them, which is a very interesting collaboration. So talk to the guy about that. That was a nice piece. And like I said, I have two reviews coming up already from the big review Tsunami coming down the pike here. One game comes out every year and the other one I've just been really excited about for a really long time. So if you know me, you could probably guess what they are. Yeah, that's what's going on with me. It's gone on with you, Jeff. Let's get bombed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's let's see here. Let's wrap up a few other things. Shouts out to Jan for producing this week despite the recovering.
Speaker 2: Thanks big guy.
Speaker 1: I know you know it's hard to take this, but you're the best man. The compliments are are always rough for our boy jam but I mean it, man, Thank you so much for being there. Everyone's happy to have you doing that. So it's been great this week. Here his voice, I know right here exactly. So yeah, shouts out to Jan and then I think with that out of the way, let's go ahead and do it. Let's wrap up the week, wrap up the show with.
Speaker 2: The bomb twelve.
Speaker 1: These are the twelve games that really matter to people who are really playing video games.
Speaker 2: And again shouts out to Jam for getting these pictures updated. Here.
Speaker 1: We'll start with number twelve, Dinsha Attack or Dentsha Attack. Number eleven is Splatoon Raiders. I expect that to be even higher next week, so I think more people are picking it up constantly. Number ten is Tara Tech Legion, number nine, Final Fantasy seven, Rebirth number eight Eighties two. I wonder if that one's gonna get a little bit of a bump from Odyssey, Like there's it might.
Speaker 2: But it's got tough competition there at number seven from fox Quest too.
Speaker 1: Still you guys are playing fox Quest two, number six for it's a Horizon six, number five, Destiny two, number four, Star Fox, number three, Double O seven, First Light back in the top three, and that's actually there's a lot of like, hey, these games are back in the top three.
Speaker 2: Number two is Marathon and number one is Mina.
Speaker 1: The hollower felt like, oh, there is just this slight sort of gully in releases, and sure Splatoon Raiders is going to bounce back or bounce high on the list next week. I think everyone took a moment to be like, hey, let's go clean up some games that we haven't finished yet. But uh shouts, shout outs to everybody for the responses.
Speaker 2: Will excuse me?
Speaker 1: Have a new Bomb twelve up on the website, like a new link. So if you go to giant bomb dot com, you scroll down, you could find the whole list of the current week's Bomb twelve and you can catch up and see what people are playing. If you go to the left, there is a vote here button. Click on that that will take you to a form where you could submit your game for next week's Bond twelve.
Speaker 2: And we will do this all again.
Speaker 1: Then all right, that all the way, Jason FONEWI thank you so much for hanging out with me today and talk about video games.
Speaker 2: Man, I really appreciate it. One of my favorite things to do.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me, Jeff, thanks you all for watching and listening. You're the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one. Take care of yourself.
Speaker 2: In Superman sixty four, Hu