Speaker 1: And now in cooperation with police and federal Law Enforcement department throughout the United States, the only national program that brings you authentic police case histories.
Speaker 2: Watermen's Pens and Wellman's.
Speaker 1: Gang Busters.
Speaker 3: And the case of the death mass killer Wild an innocent girl to cover his elaborate plans and who learned that even the spending of three copper pennies could changed the course.
Speaker 4: Of his life.
Speaker 1: Waterman's Pens everyone a master writing instrument. And Waterman's Ink, the ink that goes up to three times as far as ordinary inks. Are proud to bring you gang Busters presenting facts in the endless war of the police on the underworld, world facts that show the operation of our law enforcement officials in their work of protecting our citizens. Commissioner Lewis J. Valentine, on leave as interviewer of Gangbusters, has now arrived in Tokyo, where he is to serve at the personal request of General Douglas MacArthur. Watermans expects to bring you his voice by shortwave in the near future. Meanwhile, Gangbusters has asked doctor Carlton Simon of New York City, internationally known criminologists to narrate by proxy to Night's gates. But while doctor Simon, I understand the criminal and Tonight's gates played a major part in the plaque which led to a spectacular escape from Eastern Penitentiary last Easter, it is indeed, Don Garter this killer Ba Bowers was cunning, shrewd mercis his background must be of extreme interest to criminology, Doctor Simon. It certainly is done for the soul's way who combat crime is to know how the criminal's mind thinks, who works. So I'm going to start to Night's case of the summer resort on a large lake in Wayne County, Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: After dinner, a young.
Speaker 1: Couple will see that on the porch swing looking out over the lake, which was brightened the silver by a full moon. But never always like that. Hard No, that was in the land spring. I don't know. I had to come give it with some time.
Speaker 2: She's out my family.
Speaker 1: I guess I would pet you or anything like you.
Speaker 2: But they mean, you mean well we made a lot of progress in three weeks.
Speaker 1: I yes, it's alright.
Speaker 2: Well, there's not many women I'd give a second look.
Speaker 1: It was a lot kiss Oh oh, darling, Yeah, can you really have to leave I'll be back packing there, so I got to go. Please made me babby. There's nothing I like better.
Speaker 2: Than staying here with you. But I ain't got the language. Soon as Andy cans down, says, hm, that Andy, what happened?
Speaker 1: Then? Like that work too for it's Andy to dol around Andy gris a car carries my samples and know there's a lot of people.
Speaker 2: No, I still don't care much for it. He takes you away from him.
Speaker 1: But I'll be back They hm, he dodter tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Oh mean I should have blest her? Whom I would you stick around? Toady A's Andy?
Speaker 4: What right?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 1: That look kid, there's nothing for it at home? Wait here for him? All right? Hard hit se long baby, that's going to like more than that is or what H called it?
Speaker 2: Never toup on my shoe.
Speaker 1: So you wanna get me robb with a day for a ble? Sayn we got enough troub We let it be a couple Pennsylvania's. I'd have to her, that's the idea and the you don't get it chest in case, take me Foster.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be our rabbibi, She's gonna be our pooff. We were right here when the cops sing went.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you couldn't get her to tell a lie? You know it?
Speaker 2: You know, just give me another week or so and she'll jump.
Speaker 1: Into the leg if I actaid. Yeah, sure she might care if you'll say so.
Speaker 2: But I just like when to look at her face when she finallys out you how to stag and the sting shot up and hop in the car.
Speaker 1: Hey, I thought it wasn't take.
Speaker 2: It as great. I meant, know, what's bine? Grab another car? Then, oh, I say it is a double switch. Yeah, I got a nice buck picked out the owner.
Speaker 1: Know miss for a week, they're going I wanna make the switch and take that night brother in Easton before midnight.
Speaker 2: And general all police be on watch.
Speaker 1: But two bandits and stolen black goods a dad.
Speaker 5: To leave pleading north from Stroud's back Pennsylvan On Highway six eleven. Brutal gunman identified as ex convicts bow Wow Bowers and partner and Beoli held up five night clubs in Taverns Vicinity, Easton during past.
Speaker 2: Forty eight hours. Block all roads authority Captain.
Speaker 1: Hall, Pennsylvania State Police. Do you wanna see me at the hall?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: True of Bosky, sit down, sit down, Yes, Barski, this wave of assaults and hold ups has got to be stopped. Well, at least we know what we're looking for, Yes, but where the devil only knows what kind of a hide out Bars is using. Now you haven't got any lens, kitten, almost nothing, Boski. I want you to take charge of the hunt, just the chance I've been waiting for. Can are You'll have to work in playing clothes of course, haunt all the taverns and night clubs in this area. Any scrap of information will help. I'd give a year's pay to catch him right handed tempting. So would I you ever handle Bars before? Brusky? Oh? Yes, Captain, I'd questioned him for several hours before he was sent at a tentiary last time he was. Then you'd know Bars and safe. I couldn't miss him. Learn it, careful, bar he'd probably know you too. Don't worry, Keptain, all right, busking, you stay on this assignment until the Bars is put away for keeps. Uh wow, I beg in. No one's still out on the lake. It's see you, darling, yess mee hr, I thought you be back here.
Speaker 2: At the lake yet.
Speaker 1: Day I couldn't make it.
Speaker 2: Take your business?
Speaker 1: Well, when are you coming back? Maybe tomorrow?
Speaker 2: Maybe next week?
Speaker 1: Oh taw I look cat, I got an idea.
Speaker 2: Un' drive down the world expiring to meet me.
Speaker 1: Well, alright, where right full of lottie.
Speaker 2: It's a nice quiet place. Suppose you meet me there to morrow night?
Speaker 1: Uh about eleven all a barty walks there? Yeah, I'll see it all about eleven to my night. Understanding here, Hi walk dolling? IY right.
Speaker 2: Now? Wherever is this dame bow? She's an hour later already? How we're gonna use it for another shot out? You know?
Speaker 1: And he I'm sorry, I forgot you rubbing it in and stop putting nickels in that juice bar. And you gotta play around with a dame one thick on one like that.
Speaker 2: Piggy's class. That's wild, Okay, she's class. I only think she stick around. She you know where you will shoot.
Speaker 1: Stick kill them anything that bars you.
Speaker 2: Stick at that moon in your rise when the summary is.
Speaker 1: Shut up, I know what I'm doing. Yeah you sure you throw a bulevard in.
Speaker 2: That's the name of this gine in.
Speaker 1: It buller out in. That's what I told her. Well, bars express skin up coming to this giant butch like's waiting around for an hour?
Speaker 6: Whatever is this dame?
Speaker 1: Something could have happened. Beg you gonna show up in five minute time? Going the phone.
Speaker 6: Uh, there's major state beliefs.
Speaker 1: Captain Hall speaking Herbert Browsky. Captain, Oh, anything new on bars Brusky. I've been to a lot of clubs and taverns. Didn't learn much.
Speaker 6: I gotta report a little while to go, Old Rusky two nightclubs held up early tonights just across.
Speaker 1: New Jersey line Barways looks like his work.
Speaker 6: I'll take your report over the phone, and.
Speaker 1: Rusky, it's too dark to read my notes in this spools Captain.
Speaker 2: Besides, it's a.
Speaker 1: Guy outside basing of him down right a tire white names the phone a speech thinking twins or something.
Speaker 6: But where are your Brosky? Case?
Speaker 2: I wanna reach you when.
Speaker 1: He's going the boulevard d in Willis Bire bulevard In and Willsbury. Right, Okay, let.
Speaker 6: The other bella have the phone.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's triplets by Captain Okay, inste the phones all you is about time? Followays now you down top harder.
Speaker 6: Last all right?
Speaker 7: The next guy that most gets the same children, Why not, Mama land This is.
Speaker 6: A stick up.
Speaker 1: Every police officer in northeastern Pennsylvania joined in the hunt for the killers of Trooper John Brosky. But police will stying me down until they saw young boys spend three cents in Philadelphia before you tell us the significance of this, Doctor Simon, here's a word from Waterman's.
Speaker 2: When a friend says to you, mind lending me.
Speaker 1: Your pen a second?
Speaker 2: Are you proud of the pen you hand over?
Speaker 1: You surely are. If it's one of the new Waterman's so sleek, so slim, so trim, it's beautiful. A fountain pen is one of your most personal possessions, reflecting the very character of its owner.
Speaker 2: And when you add these superb writing.
Speaker 1: Qualities of Waterman's pan ground points, notice I say pan ground points, you have a doubly beautiful writing instrument.
Speaker 2: Ink feeds in Waterman's pen.
Speaker 1: Are also beautiful. Precision work, accurate down to microscopic limits.
Speaker 2: Everything in these fine pens.
Speaker 1: Is made to Watermen's high standards, standards that have been famous for more than sixty years. And when we say high standards, we mean every Waterman's pen from the modestly priced stalwart at three fifty up to the magnificent taper right models at eight seventy five and thirteen fifty plus tax. Choose your pen for beauty, writing ability, long life, precision value, and for reputation. When you choose a Waterman's, you know you are getting the pen on the top in all the standards of judgment. So just look for the name Watermen and get thee best. Now back to Gangbusters. In the case of bow Wow Bowers, Doctor Simon, just how did the Pennsylvania State Police gold out their search for the murder of Kroopobrotsky well Don Captain Hall took charge of the investigation with the Wilfsbury head three quarters of the State Police about a hour after the murder. Sergeant Haynes reported to Captain Hall, on one phase of the investigation, I got the young lady outside, Captain. What's her name? Sergeant Peggy Foster? Sir, I checked on. It comes from good people straight mm begge Foster me you know why she's here? They're not yet, sir, all right? Bring her in? Yes, all right, Miss and Ingreden. I wish you'd tell me why I'm here.
Speaker 2: This is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: I didn't even see the shooting. Matam all.
Speaker 2: This is miss Peggy Foster.
Speaker 1: How do you do?
Speaker 7: Captain?
Speaker 2: Would you mind explaining all this to me? Did you sit down in this? Foster?
Speaker 1: All right? But I still don't sit down?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 1: Would you hum?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: Uh? Would you explain exactly what you were doing at the boulevard ter night? Coursy explained.
Speaker 7: I'm a guest at a.
Speaker 2: Summer resort in Wayne County. I went to meet another guest, Miter Burne, the torrest.
Speaker 1: Burns at the BOULEVARDI at eleven o'clock, but you didn't arrive until after midnight, five minutes after the shooting.
Speaker 8: I now it's not tire on the way.
Speaker 1: I had to change it myself.
Speaker 2: Look at my clothes.
Speaker 1: When you came into the tavern, and when there was a murder, you became hysterical. When I didn't see mister Burns, befot suddenly truck me that he was the one who'd been killed.
Speaker 2: You didn't know it, mis Trooper Breusky. Somebody finally told me, And.
Speaker 1: You never did see this mister Burns at the tavern. No, sir, I don't know what could have happened to him, Miss Foster, would you take a look at this photographic? Certainly is that mister Burns.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's Horrs.
Speaker 6: But this number?
Speaker 1: Why the number?
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 9: He's no criminal?
Speaker 1: And he killed Troop le Breusky. Why he's wanted for twenty four recent hold ups? She could not hard, Miss Foster, It's true. No, now look please, miss Foster, please try to help us, all right, Ki, Well, uh time, your Mrs Burns is really Horace Bowers is a kill up? There must be a miss think he he was so recently sooner it was supposed to the phrase. He wasn't sincere He was using you for an alibi. Oh no, no, Now, in the weeks the Bowers saw you, he we have unconsciously told you many feels, little things that may help us plain hm. Now we like to start asking you questions, little questions, I captain, now I'm spots to when did your first meet Bars?
Speaker 2: The day I registered at the lake?
Speaker 1: Two week two?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 1: Was he dressed very smartly? He always liked to beat Well did you.
Speaker 2: See us like? How many suit CAATs?
Speaker 1: Was a cat?
Speaker 2: I don't remember that?
Speaker 1: What else did Bowers have to drink? No thing?
Speaker 2: Only too highbor. What time did he.
Speaker 1: Leave the next day?
Speaker 2: Ten? I think it was ten.
Speaker 1: What was he wearing, oh, foot jack?
Speaker 7: Did I think?
Speaker 1: Did he didn't going to be all way behind when he drove away that day? No?
Speaker 5: There, I think down.
Speaker 1: How many think about the noises trains make nearest home? You say, yes, yes, all the way in Philadelphia?
Speaker 2: Philadelphia?
Speaker 1: Is this north Philadelphia? Yes, yes, North Philadelphia? And Barbers said he was heading for Philadelphia as soon as he left this part of the country here. And the last time he read from Bowers was when he calls you tonight. That was a lot of time. Yes, well, well, I think that's all over the dollar, and we're very much obliged. We was forced to okay, goodness, thank you very much for su forsed to. Sorry, we had two questions along. You can go now and get some rests, sergeant, and I have some work.
Speaker 10: Ah, that caps.
Speaker 1: Good night, I have Captain.
Speaker 2: What's our first movie? Oh?
Speaker 1: From what the girls said, Bowers apparently sees a lot of Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: Ours knows.
Speaker 1: We're hotter active than him than ever, Captain, And you have.
Speaker 2: A good hideout. You don't show his face outside and all it will be easy.
Speaker 1: But did the girl's answers convey any particular quirks to you about Borrow's personality? He seems pretty vain and curious, right, so we would be especially curious about the progress of our investigation in the Troupebreski's murder.
Speaker 2: He means he will read the newspaper, saying.
Speaker 1: Exactly and the most detailed the coast will be carried in the wolf's parents papers and bows will wanna see them. Most of all, I think you've got a captain. I put an immediate cover on every stand in Philadelphia. Hang those out of town newspapers. Aw aw aw captain all speaking.
Speaker 2: Sergeant Haine's captain. I think we've.
Speaker 1: Located bars Good. An hour ago, a young boy bought yesterday's Wilkes Barren paper the main news stand and off Philadelphia Railroad station. Yes, boy's never been near Wilsbire.
Speaker 2: He was buying a paper for someone else.
Speaker 1: Bowers from the description.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's at the Palm Manor apartments. Two men are covering the place.
Speaker 1: Now get set for Radamada e sillience.
Speaker 2: We'll see if we can put a muscle on this bow of.
Speaker 1: Bars and then posted all the street corner.
Speaker 2: Sergeant got the blocks around the captain.
Speaker 1: With a night like this, Barers might slip out through the storm.
Speaker 2: This is the house, captain, Come on.
Speaker 1: Some doors, open the apartment at the end of the hall. We may run in the gunfire and I'll be ready for breathing. Why is that?
Speaker 7: But yourr is h The wall is leaking down into the basement from your apartment.
Speaker 2: Uh that reckon? Set the move past?
Speaker 1: Now guns out? Yes, alright, Bowers, get your hand on him.
Speaker 6: What's that?
Speaker 5: And all.
Speaker 3: You down?
Speaker 1: Promologue, you too, You're awarded for murder. Bowers and Andreoli were tried promptly for the murder of State Troopebraski don and both received life sentences in Eastern State Penitentiary, Philadelphia. In prison, Bowers was assigned to the corner cell of the tenth cell block. He became sullen and moody at night when the other convicts were asleep. Bowers paced his cell, brooding and thinking, Hey, Bowers, for peach sake, when you stopped walking up and down, how can other guys sleep? I shut up?
Speaker 2: Who act like he was going?
Speaker 1: Still crazy?
Speaker 2: I'm getting out of this can. Who's gonna boosed you over the wall, the one I ain't going over the wall.
Speaker 1: Oh no, oh, no, under it we huh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a tunnel, Oh, you're nuts. The guards that spot a tunnel another time.
Speaker 1: They gotta have camouflage.
Speaker 2: I got it all worked out. Any con can get permission to build a bookcase in.
Speaker 1: Its cell right and the shelf. So what so we'll build that bookcase. Then all we need is some plaster and some water. That's for the rest of the camouflage.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Now, I know you're nine and I've been.
Speaker 2: Reading the magazine.
Speaker 1: There was a picture of it, a picture of a death mask with that mask you you mean one of them plaster cash that they making your face and your head.
Speaker 2: And yeah, we build a tunnel right.
Speaker 1: From this cell here a bookcase.
Speaker 2: I'll cover up the tunnel so nobody can see it.
Speaker 1: The death masks and some stuff bunched up under the colors. I'll make the guard think it's our sleeping while we're really digging the tunnel.
Speaker 2: Uh, you forget one little thing bout us, my the DT.
Speaker 1: What do we do with the dyt from the tunnel?
Speaker 2: Easy?
Speaker 1: Lots of times during the day all our cells are opening, us cons can come and go.
Speaker 2: We get a dozen guys in on this. We give 'em the dirt to carry out in their hats.
Speaker 1: Their pockets, paper bags, anything. They dump it around the grounds. Us birds, I'll be flying out of this kings before you know it.
Speaker 8: Kay, okay, God's gone get out of here better.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I always something moves this bookcase.
Speaker 1: I like musing out yet Yeah, okay, grum at the time, I'll fix the bookcase back in the place and the range.
Speaker 2: The death mask things are going for us. We gotta break through with another couple.
Speaker 1: Of nights where he got that talk and clwyning the night before the God comes back around here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, care.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 1: Sat guard another guardian myself just noticed something to evening in the grounds around the prison buildings. It looks very suspicious.
Speaker 2: Ere there's some spots in.
Speaker 1: The yard where it looks like fresh airt that has been stamped into the ground fresh earth.
Speaker 3: Eh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean only one thing, convicts digging your tunnel somewhere and trying to dispose of the dirt they take out, or an immediate search the cell blocks in every building in the prison. They don't care who says, so they can't be any Cunne will being dug from this part of the prison. Just the same.
Speaker 2: We're going to check and recheck every hour right through the night.
Speaker 1: Okay, why share light of this?
Speaker 2: Uh nah, both convicts sound asleep.
Speaker 3: We'll try the next one.
Speaker 2: Okay, here.
Speaker 1: Whose there was this?
Speaker 5: Power?
Speaker 1: Powers? Last?
Speaker 2: Share light? Sound asleep? You move back along the next row.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, at you wait a minute. Pressure laid outside the cell again?
Speaker 2: Which the man of both those kinds of a sleep? Yes, we just watch those parties mm and not crazy.
Speaker 1: Right opened the cell doors, m kept 'em. Pull the covers off this car sempty only blankets and the plaster cast the death mass. Look, Dad, under the bookcase.
Speaker 2: A tunnel. Ye get out in alarm. I'm I watch here.
Speaker 9: They aren't still of the tunnel. They didn't get very far. They found it out off a quick color.
Speaker 2: Lucky it still die. Keep running the chair.
Speaker 1: We need a car quick Ryan, Ryan will get a cope.
Speaker 6: Hell look hun o truck, flight 'em down tay sight with trou hold it light.
Speaker 5: Come on.
Speaker 6: Some of the cups stopped me back there they you guys a cup.
Speaker 1: I just guess, brother, get out of the truck.
Speaker 7: Try any funny stuff.
Speaker 2: You'll get this knife in the throat.
Speaker 1: He has to click he has Oh, I don't.
Speaker 6: Keep the driver a class all right, guys, plan.
Speaker 10: Aboard emergency police bowlers and escaping convicts and just luck driver and stolen quality.
Speaker 1: Dairy milk truck.
Speaker 6: Last scene headed west on Brown Street. Much for escaping convicts and stolen quality dairy milk truck. Last scene heading west on Brown Street.
Speaker 1: You should have brung the driver, Bowers.
Speaker 7: She'll squeal and cops and spot the smolk truck of min over the head tensing the next corway, say if he has the cut up her head to hide after it follers what the cops behind us, give it the gas right, we ain't got a chance.
Speaker 1: Follow after fast.
Speaker 7: They got it down on the floor.
Speaker 2: Think the next corner thank him.
Speaker 1: Watch oh come out of their hand and followers.
Speaker 6: The cops go ahead and taken me.
Speaker 1: Come on there, watch you's good night.
Speaker 7: I ain't killed one cop.
Speaker 2: I'll show you out.
Speaker 1: You the rest of you come out, okay, kicking my hands up, sargeants get nablus for Bowers.
Speaker 6: The rest to line up against the wall.
Speaker 2: One move and you get the same thing.
Speaker 1: Bowers recovered from his wound down and he and the other men who participated in that break last April the third are back in Eastern State penitentiary. That certainly was quick work on the part of Pennsylvania police, doctor Simon, and I can see what you mean by the necessity of knowing how the criminal mind thinks and acts in combating crime. Thank you for a fine case, doctor Simon. And now before we broadcast our Gangbusters clues, here is a word from Waterman's. Change is a wonderful thing, but not when it may detract from downright quality. When Watermans make their famous blue black ink, for instance, there is only one way. Do they add harmful Solvens, No, sir, This great ink is all and nothing else.
Speaker 6: But that's why.
Speaker 1: According to test conducted by a nationally famous independent laboratory, Waterman's blue Black rode up to three times as much as other nationally advertised dates. Yes, it gives you in your pan up to six one thousand, five hundred extra.
Speaker 2: Words per filling.
Speaker 1: Another way, downright quality pays off. Waterman's is almost impervious to time itself, to fading even water It enables you to write clear, sharp letters and words that remain clear and sharp. Yet this world favorite ink actually costs only ten cents in its handy tip failed bottle. The same price ten cents buys any of the other seven smart colors too. So if you want ink that stays with you and avoids frequent refilling of your pen, that resists fading, that writes sharp and clear, say Waterman's to your dealer. You'll spend only a dime and you'll get thee best. Now. Gangbusters Nationwide Clues, broadcast every week, is a public service to assist American police in their war against the underworld.
Speaker 4: Generations and connection, arm pipe robbery and murder.
Speaker 1: Stay of Oklahoma, C. Furdam be your d m.
Speaker 6: Thirty years of.
Speaker 4: Age, five eet nine and one hundred forty five pounds, dark hair, left four.
Speaker 1: Finger missing, left fore finger missing.
Speaker 6: Warning.
Speaker 1: Burdham is heavily alarmed. Attention citizens Southwest be on lookout for escape murderer.
Speaker 6: Missouri State pheneticiary chess edger aged.
Speaker 1: Forty five feet five inches, one hundred forty five pounds, red hair, brown eyes, large red birthmark, center of forest, red marks on back of Nick, large red birthmark, center of fore red marks on back of Nick. Watching for chess etcher escape murderer warning citizen states be an alert for carried Gexon want.
Speaker 6: It a charge of fleeing Mississippi to avoid prosecution.
Speaker 1: Murder jections description.
Speaker 4: Abro about forty three, five eighty nine inches.
Speaker 6: One hundred fifty five.
Speaker 4: Pounds, black hair, maroon eyes, very dark complexion, large scar across forehead, cut scar all.
Speaker 1: Arms, use his profanity constantly, carried gexson shot a murder charge. These are the clues on the most urgently sought persons in the United States Tonight, March sixteenth, nineteen forty six. If you have any information concerning these clues, notify your local police, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, or Gangbusters at once. Next week the case of New York's West Side Syndicate, whose imagination and cunning less ends a case Uncle Sam himself for four million in cash who failed to calculate our paper cutter would frustrate their triumph. Listen next week, same time, same station to this authentic case of the West Side Syndicate on Gangbusters. At any time anywhere, when you were buying a fountain pen or when you were buying ink, always look for the name Waterman. Gangbusters is a phillips h Lord Production. This is ABC, the American broadcasting company.