Speaker 1: You're listening to kf I AM six forty the Bill Handle Show on demand on the iHeartRadio f.
Speaker 2: Bill Handle. Here. It is a Thursday morning, January thirtieth.
Speaker 1: Now we have a sort of a modification going in because we're waiting for President Trump with a press conference and we don't know, you know, what time he's coming in schedule for eight o'clock. You know, the only president has ever been i mean on time to the second was George W.
Speaker 2: Bush, who was tremendous.
Speaker 1: Eight o'clock started at eight o'clock. So we'll wait for the President to come in and talk about.
Speaker 2: What he's going to talk about, because it's.
Speaker 1: Always interesting stuff even though he talks forever. So you know, so this will go right through the end of Gary and Shannon in probably half of John and Ken's show this afternoon, so we'll cut out of it at some point maybe, all right, Joel Larsguard is with us, and Joel, we're going to interrupt you when this happens.
Speaker 2: And Joel is a host of How.
Speaker 1: To Money Sunday twelve to two pm is Social Is at How to Money.
Speaker 2: Joel, Joel, good morning, morning, Bill.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's start right off the bat where we think our savings are keeping up with inflation, are we or are we going south again?
Speaker 3: Also, it's interesting there's this new survey from wallet hub and something like two thirds of people said, I don't feel like I'm keeping up with inflation the money that I have in savings. And I think there's a couple reasons for that. One is which there are a lot of people who are whose savings are not keeping up with inflation because they're with one of the giant banks and they're getting paid zero point zero one percent on their savings account, whereas they could migrate elsewhere and get paid north of four percent. And if you're getting paid north of four percent, your savings actually is outpacing inflation. But yeah, if you're with the wrong bank, you're not out pacing in plation. So I do think there's truth a lot of people are saying I don't feel like my savings is keeping up, and it's not. But I think the other thing is just kind of emotional, especially when you see something like the cost of eggs and it just continues to go up with the bird flu and we've had trouble with egg price increases over the last couple of years anyway, and you see stuff like that, or it feels like things are still getting more expensive even though prices are moderating, and I think some of that is just still kind of vibes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the egg thing is kind of insane.
Speaker 1: Yesterday I went to the store. I do the shopping, and one of the things about my lady Lindsey is she's into healthy eggs. Healthy for the chicken eggs, halfy healthy, non caged, you know, running around, pasture free or whatever the hell it was.
Speaker 2: I cattle more.
Speaker 3: Pardon, I said, those costs even more.
Speaker 2: Oh, you have no idea.
Speaker 1: So I'm looking at the egg aisle, you know, the little that refrigerator section. We have eggs in a big song saying we apologize for shortage of eggs. We have no control and their supply side problems here supply chain because we know the A flew.
Speaker 2: So the eggs, those cage free, pasture eggs, chickens.
Speaker 1: I don't even know what they call those running around chickens. It was for a dozen eggs, seventeen dollars.
Speaker 3: You're kidding, No, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Those were the high end eggs, you know, they literally are.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Kipster whatever the hell, or Happy Eggs is another brand they have where they don't cage the chickens at all, and so I end up bar It was just, oh, it was insanity.
Speaker 2: It was insanity with the prices.
Speaker 1: So I ended up buying the cheap eggs, eighteen of them, the cheap o creepo ones where they keep the chickens in cages and they don't move around and it's horrific. But that was fourteen bucks for eighteen ages. Yeah, I know, it was insanity. It was insanity, all right. Back we go to the savings issue and one of the things I'm with Chase Bank and I remodeled my house, so I had money going to my checking account because it remodels are insanely expensive. And my banker said, don't keep the money in that checking account. We can put it in in one day. You keep it into our money market account. And there's my four and a half percent. And it was my banker at Chase suggested that, so to save me money. Of course he got fired immediately because they love the fact that they rt me off. But let's talk about doing as much savings as you can. The highest interest rate you can within your bank.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I think that's a really important thing to mention is that some of these banks do have other ways for you to get higher rates. First, you're just in their basic savings account that you look at online. They might you might see oh, the point zero one percent, but maybe there are other products and there might be like you mentioned, money market accounts, Like let's say somebody has an account with Fidelity and they have a lot of do a lot of they're investing there or Vanguard. There are money market funds that you can that you can stick your your cash in that you want to stay liquid and you're going to earn in that kind of four point three ish percent range right now. So you can go with a highlod Savans acount, you can go with a money market account. And some of these online banks that I love, those rates have gone down some, but guess what, they're still higher than the point zero one I guess That's what I want to stress is if you have a decent chunk of cash lying around, you don't necessarily need to go to a CD and lock that money up. You just need to migrate to a high old Savans account. And I don't want people, you know, jumping to score an extra point one or point two percent. But if we're going from literally getting paid nothing on your money to getting paid something meaningful four plus percent, you will outpace inplation. And your money isn't like every day that your money is sinning in an account that's turning two point zero one percent, your money is losing buying power. So that's why I just want people to do something at least that's not harming them actively harming their finances.
Speaker 1: Let's just say, take a quick visit about the warning that you always get the disclaimer. You put it in a money market account, you put it into one of these broker's accounts that is not ensured by the government.
Speaker 2: How important is that.
Speaker 3: That's true? I mean, I don't think it's terribly important. I do like FDIC insurance, but I don't know that it's crucial, right, I think the biggest thing I want people to avoid there are some something known as neobanks, and they're popping up all over the place, and there's these fintech startups and they're backed by other banks, and there have been some issues in the neobank space in recent months where some of them have kind of shut down, or some of the people who are who are banking with some of these little upstarts. They sound great and they've got these great perks, and hey, maybe you're going to get access to your paycheck early and maybe the rate so they're paying is significant. But they're not actual banks. They're just kind of backed by this random other bank, and so they save their FDIC insured. But when you try to get your money back as the fintech goes bus, you're kind of trying to claw back and you don't know which institution to reach out to, and so some people have been in limbo for months and months and months trying to figure out how how am I going to get access to this money, even though it's technically FDIC insured. So if you're going to go with an online bank, don't go with a neo bank, go with an actual online bank. And so some of my favorites are like Discover c t ally, those are actual online banks and they are you know, money that you have in savings there is backed up by the FDIC, So I do like having your liquid savings there, and just sometimes it's just easier to have a savings account. So again I think I think Hoyo savings accounts are the way to go.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's take a break. Ready to come back. We've got more to talk about.
Speaker 1: And that's assuming that President Trump does not start his press conference.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back with Joel. You're listening to Bill Handle on demand and from KFI am six forty.
Speaker 1: President is still speaking. One of the things about President Trump is he does not give short, short press conferences. And I pulled away from the press conference because earlier, as he started, it was about the crash in Washington, that aircraft, civilian aircraft crashing with a military helicopter. It was a mid air collision. Of course, everybody died, sixty four people. He was talking about that.
Speaker 2: Which is his job.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he's gone beyond that, because I'm going for the rest of the show. Amy.
Speaker 2: Have you been following along.
Speaker 3: And have I.
Speaker 2: Did I do it wrong in pulling away?
Speaker 1: Have you gotten any new information?
Speaker 4: No, he hasn't really given out any new information except he did say that his FAA is going to be better and criticize the DEI policies of previous administrations.
Speaker 2: Because that's what because it's a DEI.
Speaker 1: Air traffic control system and certainly a DEI American airline system and the helicopter pilots. I guess we're part of a DEI program. Okay, go figure now before I get to Valentine, and I'll tell you about that in our last segment. And he's with my FM and there's a big, big iHeart concert going on a little bit about RFK because I was looking forward to Robert Kennedy's first confirmation hearing, and he.
Speaker 2: Did not disappoint He did not.
Speaker 1: First of all, he's going to get every Republican, virtually a Republican he's going to get confirmed, because at this point, it doesn't matter who President Trump puts in front of the Senate to confirm a nomination, that person is going to get it.
Speaker 2: Kennedy is one of the more.
Speaker 1: Not questionable. But yeah, let's say now, I'll say questionable, interesting certainly, maybe controversial. And that's because number one, he's a conspiracy theorist and he's anti vax Now he said he wasn't He deflected his brains off yesterday. By the way I sort of made fun of him and the way he speaks. That was not fair. He has a medical condition called spasmodic dysphonia, certain muscles in his larynx spasm. So it's not fair for me to have said that, But it is difficult to understand him in many cases. Okay, Now, the Republicans love him because he's a Trump nominee. Tillis, Senator Tom Tillis of North Carolina said, I think you're handling yourself very well. Okay, fair enough. When talking to and asked, are you a conspiracy theorist? Kennedy said, no, that's a pejorative that had been applied to him. Of course not, And I'm being accused of that mainly to keep me from asking difficult questions powerful interests, even though he's a straight out conspiracy theorist, or certainly has been.
Speaker 2: The other Republican Todd Young of Indiana.
Speaker 1: Will you work to restore public trust in public health institution?
Speaker 2: Kennedy said, I will through radical transparency.
Speaker 1: Don't know what that means.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The one Republican who he had some issue with, Senator Bill Cassidy of Louisiana, chairman of the Senate Health Committee.
Speaker 2: He's a doctor and he's looking at.
Speaker 1: This going wait a minute, now, there's more to this than just Trump nominates, and I confirm. One of the questions that he asked is about Medicare and Medicaid, and Kennedy was sort of mixed the two up.
Speaker 2: Medicare is for everybody over sixty five. Medicaid is that covers low income people.
Speaker 1: And when Cassidy asked him, how would you invest how would you integrate the two programs? How would you do it? Kennedy said, I don't know the answer to that. I look forward to exploring options with you. Another point, he said of Medicaid, the premiums are too high, deductibles are too high, and everybody's getting sicker, except that Medicaid people don't pay a dime.
Speaker 2: There are no deductibles, there are no premiums. As for four people, you know what as for poor people? You give him a break on that.
Speaker 1: I don't know how big a deal that is, because you can't expect the nominee to know everything, and you would expect Cassidy, who's a doctor, to know a lot more. But it is his vactinet vaccine skepticism, skepticism. Kennedy's that just that's going to be the big one, and the Democrats just keep on nailing him and asking Kennedy's past statements pushed him hard, including abortion, because he was pro abortion when he was running for president and he was pro abortion and all of a sudden, now no, I'm not pro abortion. I believe in what President Trump is that every abortion is a tragedy.
Speaker 2: Are you you've switched all over the place, mister Kennedy, yes, no, which no? A Republican senator asked, which one? I believe that every abortion is a tragedy?
Speaker 1: Okay, good enough, and then Senator Michael Bennett, Democratic Colorado brought.
Speaker 2: Up Kennedy's statements. Claimed he has.
Speaker 1: Said COVID was targeted to attack Caucasians and black people to spare Chinese people.
Speaker 2: And Ashkenazi Jews.
Speaker 1: That's really weird because the only issue, the only connection between Chinese people and Askanaji Jews Christmas or on Yum Kippur, where Ashkaranazi Jews go to Chinese restaurants. I mean, that's it. And Kennedy said line disease was highly likely to be an engineered bioweapon.
Speaker 2: Kennedy was asked, outright, did you say that he goes? I probably did.
Speaker 1: Say that, and then the Republicans sleft that one right over. I forgot which the Republican. I wish I had the name, because I was so stunned that I didn't even pay attention to the name during the questioning period, said of Kennedy, Kennedy was put here by God to run our healthcare system. I think here's the problem with by God. Everybody you know, He's always been put whoever it is, put here by God.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you, folks that think that God puts people in place.
Speaker 1: God is too busy watching football games during football season. Okay, every team prays to God and the winner, well, God like that team better that week. I have a tough time with people being put here by God to do a B, C, D or E. Don't buy it all right.
Speaker 2: Coming up, it's gonna be Valentine.
Speaker 1: My FM's Valentine, and he is about to talk about fire aid, which is a big deal that I heart and he are involved in. And we'll do that as we finish the show.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from kf I AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Coming up is a pretty important event. And Valentine, who is a friend of mine who is heard on our sister station, my FM. He's on five am to ten am Monday through Friday, and I strongly urge you not to listen to him.
Speaker 2: Our show for God's sake. Well, we're pitching you val on this show.
Speaker 1: We're not pitching me what we're doing.
Speaker 5: I came down during my show just because I have that much respect for you that I wanted to bring an update to you about fire. A.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's this is a big deal fire aid. I know you're interesting it, and so let's talk about it. So that starts.
Speaker 5: You can listen on all the iHeart FM stations here in southern California, but tune into one of four to three MIFM at seven o'clock tonight. This is so amazing how it came together so quickly, right the industry got behind this so quick, so fast, to raise money to help out these victims of this wildfire, of these wildfires, and the artists who coming to the stage. I don't know when we'll ever see an event like this ever again. Please God, we won't have to for any charity for any tragedies. But the people come to the stage. Bill you know all these artists, you know Billie Eilish, you know earth Wind and Fire, you know Atlantis. You know, Dave Matthews, John Mayer, I mean Green Day, John Fogerty, Joni Mitchell, no doubt, Pink Rod Stewart, Stevie Wonder.
Speaker 2: This list is crazy.
Speaker 5: Most of them can fill up a stadium on their own. Yeah, they do their own shows and they fill up the stadium and it's massive. But they're gonna come together for fire Aid. It all starts at seven clock tonight and raise just a buttload of money.
Speaker 2: Hey, so where is it.
Speaker 1: Is iHeart doing its own thing in terms of giving money or is it giving it to a specific organization or organizations? Do you have to know? So?
Speaker 5: I believe with this all the funds are for the wildfire relief efforts. We do our stuff with Dream Center as well.
Speaker 2: iHeart.
Speaker 5: We've done a ton of work with them, will continue to do that. But this is more of like people from all across the country will be donating to this effort tonight, and all that money will be put to great use, obviously helping the victims of the wildfires and also making sure that we don't have this situation to happen again. So a lot of this it's just gonna be an astrosmble amount of money, a lot of money obviously, and it'll go to the right efforts, I believe, all.
Speaker 1: Right, And you and Sistantly are holding are hosting this. Yeah, we're gonna be doing it. Yeah. And that's across all the stations.
Speaker 5: Across all the stations, and the iHeart stations across the entire country too.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's gonna be huge.
Speaker 2: Isn't that massive? Think about the platform that we have. Huge.
Speaker 1: It's been good for you.
Speaker 2: And how when you talk about how this came together? Did you put it together?
Speaker 1: They came to you?
Speaker 2: I mean, how how did this thing come together so quick?
Speaker 5: No, you're correct, Fire Aid is all me. I made this entire thing happen. No, Irving as Off and his team made this happen. And then iHeart we got together where the audio partner of this and it's in the bombers are going to match all the funds raised dollar for dollar tonight.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. So I know it's on my FM. What other radio stations is it on? Here? On the iHeart.
Speaker 5: Clusters, it's on all the other stations, It's on Coast, it's on Real, it's on all it's on Kiss.
Speaker 2: That the great thing about MYFM.
Speaker 5: We have increased our power for tonight and our clarity and ours will be the best signal to listen to.
Speaker 2: I think the others might even be a model.
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 5: So you really want to listen to one of four to three MYFM tonight if you want to hear this audio and crystal clear quality.
Speaker 1: For those of you that wonder, is Val really this level of a dick in real life, the answer is absolutely.
Speaker 5: It didn't take long for you to go down a road like this. And this is all about the parking spot. And I have had so many people come up to me and go, boy, that handle really wants your parking spot.
Speaker 2: It's complaining about it. We'll do I'll do that story at some point. Val, thanks for putting it together, and well we didn't put it together. I didn't. Thanks for being part of putting it together. I'm giving you the credit. Thanks for being part of it.
Speaker 1: And hosting, and I know you're going to be We're excited a lot of kudos, So a lot of kudos that you and Systney deserve.
Speaker 5: Seven o'clock tonight, my event. Tune in what a four point three.
Speaker 2: Okay, guys, Yeah, we're done.
Speaker 1: Thanks val.
Speaker 2: Thanks Coming up, Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 1: They're going to have Jay Ratliffe, who we had earlier this morning, as well as Amy, the iHeart Aviation expert, who's going to give us the latest, give them the latest on what's going on with the investigation now and the recovery efforts no longer of course, they're not looking at any rescue attempts, so that's coming up. Also, I'm taking phone calls for handling the law off the air. The number is eight seven seven five two zero eleven fifty eight seven seven five two zero eleven fifty marginal legal advice.
Speaker 2: And there as.
Speaker 1: Always no breaks, no news, no weather, and no patience on my part, so as you can imagine, go through the calls very quickly. Eight seven seven five two zero eleven fifty. Coming up, Gary and Shannon, and we'll see you tomorrow five o'clock in the morning wake up call with Amy and then the rest of us are here.
Speaker 2: This is KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app