Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: What else is going on? Time for what's happening? By the way, rate cut? Rate cut? To be clear, right, rate cut? This Fed reserve cut rates by half a point rate cut. We keep screwing that up. But as a result, giddy Wall Street is projecting that they were going to dramatically reduce interest rates with this over this course of this next year. Gross domestic products is still at three percent. That's a pretty strong indicator when it comes to the economy. And right now Wall Street is reacting mixed. I guess you could say to this half point rate cut. In fact, the DAL has dipped back below zero, below flat. I should say it's now at twenty twenty eight points in the red as it continues to kind of digest this information about the half point rate cut.
Speaker 1: So cal Gas has shut off services to thirty seven homes enrolling Hills Estates, and by tonight fifty one more households will have their power shut off for good due to land movement.
Speaker 2: What a mess? What is the final How do you fix this? What was five years from now. Are these people going to have power again or are they just going to red tag that whole area and get everybody to move out of there and never move back.
Speaker 3: I have no idea. It just sounds like such a nightmare.
Speaker 2: Hawaii's Kilauea volcano is erupting again. That's prompted a volcano watch alert in some of the surrounding areas. That's occurring within a remote area, they say, of the Volcanos National Park. According to the USGS, lava began flowing from a new fissure vent that opened from east to west within the volcano's Napau crater early yesterday morning. They said there are a few lava fountains that have squored did thirty two feet high pools of lava now on the floor of the crater, observed by helicopters that are flying over the eruption. Seventeen earthquakes detected beneath the killaway A summit region just over the last couple of days.
Speaker 3: A tear in the skies a little bit here.
Speaker 1: Delta passengers left with bloody noses and ears after severe cabin pressure issues. This was flight twelve oh three from Salt Lake City to Portland, Oregon, and they say that it was unable to pressurize above ten thousand feet.
Speaker 2: How does it?
Speaker 3: Passenger jass.
Speaker 1: Passenger jac says she felt her ear pop and then bubble because the pressure in the cabin. She felt like someone was stabbing her in the ear. Wow, she said, I grabbed my ear. I pulled my hand back and there was blood on it.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've ever heard of that before. No.
Speaker 1: I looked a row behind me on the other side of the aisle. There was a gentleman that clearly had a very bad bloody nos. People were trying to help him. Apparently ten people were treated.
Speaker 2: All of the Alaska air without any of the Hawaiian version of it. But Alaska has closed its billion dollar purchase of Hawaiian Airlines and they're gonna, yes, Alaska will own Hawaiian, but they said that they'll keep it as a separate brand so they don't have to repaint the planes among other things. So that's good. I gain.
Speaker 1: I've got another looting for you, this time in South la at an AutoZone looters were able to get away with sixty seven thousand dollars worth of.
Speaker 2: Merchandise sixty seven thousand. Yeah, it does seem quite high.
Speaker 3: What would you jack from an AutoZone from an auto zone?
Speaker 2: Like? What would be the highest Yeah? Wow, like the highest val even know AutoZone. I would think that some of the some of the replacement parts that they keep behind the count would be the most expensive. I'd take batteries and breaks. Batteries would be way too heavy. You'd never be able to get out of there with more than two batteries. I mean, maybe that's all the profit you need, But I'm just I don't know. There's got to be something specific, some specific.
Speaker 1: I mean, they must have spent a long time in there to get away with that much.
Speaker 2: That does seem like a lot. Final week of summer is expected to be a little bit rainy, this low pressure system moving through the area later this week. They said the best chance of rain comes on Friday Friday, below average temperatures continue. You got out of here just in time because it's been chilly for the last couple of days.
Speaker 3: Well that sounds nice.
Speaker 2: It is. It's nice to wake up to some cloudy skies once in a while.
Speaker 1: I'm always shocked by the Toy Hall of Fame and what is not already in the Toy Hall of Fame. Nominated for the Toy Hall of Fame include Choose your Own Adventure game books. Why the hell aren't those already in there? Those are great? More perplexing is My Little Pony. My Little Pony should have been in there years ago. Wow, Transformers not in there?
Speaker 2: What hess toy trucks which have been part of the holiday season since nineteen sixty four, remote controlled vehicles stick horses I used to have one. Rounding out the list, the game Phase ten Always a fun game, Sequence Another Game, and the Pokemon Trading Card game, along with the to the two perennial nominees. Like you said, the My Little Pony's been up for nomination before and Transformers have, but they have not yet made it into the final vote you. By the way, you can vote for your favorite toys through the twenty fifth at Toy Hall of Fame dot org, and the three toys that receive the most public votes will make up a player's choice ballot that'll be tallied along with the ballots from twenty two historians and other experts.
Speaker 3: Who is that guy? Who's that guy who's voting for the Toy Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: I don't know who casts their vote for balloon as the Toy Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: Oh, just an everyday balloon.
Speaker 2: Just balloon, last year's inductees, baseball cards, cabbage patch dolls, Fisher Price corn poppers.
Speaker 3: See what I mean? Like, how was that stuff not already in there?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean they have to create some You can only let in so many, I suppose, in order to create some discussion, some excitements about what's going to make it in what's.
Speaker 1: Not More wireless devices have exploded in Lebanon for the second day. Handheld communication devices exploded across Lebanon and in the southern suburbs of the capitol bea route an a parent attack on Hesblah. At least fourteen people were killed, four hundred and fifty injured.
Speaker 2: So this is it's crazy because this obviously comes on the heels of that the pagers that blew up yesterday. We found out more about the pay themselves, like what company made them. How in the world MASSAD would have been able to intercept, you know, get into the supply chain basically and then add whatever explosive element it was that was added to those things. To make them blow up. And now that the idea that they would have planned, not just I mean, just if you just took the pager story and all you said was they're going to have three thousand little tiny bomblets available to them to explode at a time of their choosing, at a time of Masads choosing, but then also plan that they would they being hasblah, would shy away from from pagers and go to an even lower tech form of communication in these wireless handhelds, these walkie talkies, and then blow those things up.
Speaker 1: Hussein Awata is fifty four. He said, I saw stuff today you only see in movies. He remembered how he watched a man attempting to open the road for ambulances and Bayroot become gravely injured when the two way radio in his hand exploded. He says it took seconds, the thing just blew up in his hands. Maybe tomorrow, he says, lighters will explode too. You want to light a cigarette, it'll just explode in your hand. I mean, how terrifying. I saw one video earlier today. I guess it was towards the beginning of the show, where it was a view of the skyline in Bay Route, and it's a time lapse video, so it takes some probably about I don't know, twenty or thirty seconds to go through what would be about ten or fifteen minutes. And across the skyline you saw different plumes of smoke coming up from different areas of the city, but all within a couple of minutes of each other, seconds of each other. Basically where in these different areas these walkie talkies had blown up, and then you saw the aftermath with the smoke rising from these different neighborhoods. They said, similar plane scenes were playing out across the country.
Speaker 2: And these explosions that came today the devices that were purchased by Hasblah about five months ago. And like you said, at least one explosion was close to a funeral that was being held in Beirut for some of the victims of yesterday's attack, which created a panic among those near the procession.
Speaker 1: When the blast went off, they said, a brief, eerie stillness descended on the crowd. Mourners looked at one another in disbelief. The religious chants that were being broadcast over a loudspeaker stopped abruptly. Then the panic set in people scrambling in the streets, hiding in the lobbies of nearby building, shouting at each other, turn off your phone, take out the battery. And then a voice on the loud speaker at the funeral repeated that turn off your phone, take out the battery.
Speaker 2: In basically the aftermath of this, they were trying to determine which companies were responsible for building these devices. There's a firm in Taiwan that was originally identified as the source of the pagers for me yesterday, they have denied manufacturing any of them, and then a firm in Hungary that was apparently part of the supply chain also has denied that it had anything to do with the distribution of either one either the walkie talkies or the pagers in these in these explosions. But you're right, I mean the idea now people are people are now scared of someone else using a phone. They won't they won't be they won't walk near you if they see you using a phone, if you're in Lebanon. Now, so this is uh. The criticism obviously is this is Yes, it's cinematic, Yes it sounds like it's out of a movie. But this is exactly what what is defined as terrorism for a lot of people. That's what they would now accuse Israel of doing. Is using the same terrorist tactics I suppose against Hesba law that has belaw would use against them. It's time for what you watch on Wednesday. The following program is brought to you in living color, but you watch it in there. Americans love television. They win their kids on USA television. Man, you've been watching too many of those live television shows. I just watched saying a half percent increase. Wait, no, it's a decrease. Okay, said it twice already. Let's get it straight. Yes, decrease.
Speaker 1: I watched the Mickey seventeen trailer in the break there with Robert Pattinson. This is the director, the same director who did Parasite, Bong June Ho, and it looks really good. It's kind of just like this weird sci fi futuristic thing of where you can sign up to be an expendable and humanity learns all sorts of scientific knowledge and wonderful things by each death that you go through. And it seems like this guy goes through seventeen deaths. That's why it's called Mickey seventeen. It's funny but dark, kind of like Parasite. I don't remember Parasite being very funny. I remember it being a great movie. I don't remember humor in it. There was humor, okay, I trust you. That's one of the three trailers that's up on the website. Go to kfiam six forty dot com slash Gary and Shannon and you'll find.
Speaker 2: Those trailers out there. You can check them out. I didn't realize Dancing with the Stars new season is out season thirty three. I had no idea that Anna Delviy is on the show this season.
Speaker 3: So it's here's who's on it.
Speaker 1: Danny Ammondola, of course, wide receiver played with the Patriots forever. Anna Delvey that was the one who scammed her way into New York High society, defrauding people financial institutions over two hundred thousand dollars. She this is a fun twist, will be wearing an ankle monitor on the show, okay. She was released from prison in twenty nineteen and is currently serving house arrest. The next guy, Joey Graziati. I didn't know this guy. I guess he was on the Bachelor, and he was also on something else. He's a tennis instructor. Dwight Howard of course from the Lakers. Chandler Kinney, who is an actor. She's been on Zombies, a Disney movie series, and that in Lethal Weapon as well. That rugby player that won the bronze medal in Paris, Iona Maher, she's on there.
Speaker 2: Oh you know what I did see her? She seemed very stiff.
Speaker 3: Oh did she?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, and I mean literally like just not flexible. She's massively muscular. Yes, she's got thighs like Volkswagens, but she just didn't seem very what do you.
Speaker 3: Call her thighs?
Speaker 1: Could eat your thighs for an appetizer, Oh they wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Even she could pick her teeth with my thighs.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Brooks Nader model, she's been in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue multiple times.
Speaker 3: Gorgeous.
Speaker 1: And then remember our clerk Kent from the Olympics, the horse pommel horse guy horse Stephen net Rosick.
Speaker 2: I saw him as well. And the only reason I'm watching it is because it's on Channel whatever. It's Channel seven here. We have it on in the studio and they're showing him earlier today.
Speaker 1: Oh, I was wondering how how explain that because it sounded so much, well, it sounded like the only reason I'm watching that, like I'm watching it at home, and I thought you were going to try and make some sort of sort of story up that, like your home television is stuck on channel seven.
Speaker 2: I chose the wrong word. The only reason I saw that is because it was on in the studio here.
Speaker 3: Phaedra Parks is also on it.
Speaker 1: Eric Roberts as well, he because he was on the Dark Night and some other things.
Speaker 3: Soy spelling is on. We saw her.
Speaker 2: Eric Roberts is out with a new book, isn't he. I think he's a new memoir where he talks about his riff with his sister that he was very upset about.
Speaker 3: Oh, he's the brother of Julia Roberts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you didn't know that.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't know what's their fight about.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I didn't realize that they had a fight. But he said they had a fight and that he was very upset about it.
Speaker 1: Weird, that's good information from us. Who wants to hear that story? Like who wants that dirty Laundry aired?
Speaker 2: I maybe they've gotten over it, and he just is embarrassed about the fact that they had a fight in the first place.
Speaker 1: In the press, the long standing fight was fueled by his infamous quote, if it wasn't for me, there would be no Julia Roberts. Apparently he found success ahead of her with projects like Star eighty and The Pope of Greenwich Village, but her stardom soon eclipped eclipsed his, and he had a cocaine addiction.
Speaker 2: Oh well, that'll do it.
Speaker 3: That's a memoir you'd read.
Speaker 2: I don't read memoirs for the most part, so I don't think I'm gonna get on that one. But I did see a stand another stand up over the week and yeah, over the weekend I watched. It's an actual old one, but it's a guy named Nick Thune. Grew up in Seattle, lives in LA and had a couple of different specials. Nick Thune good guy from twenty seventeen. He's he's been in a bunch of different movies. I don't know if you'd necessarily recognize his face or anything, but he was like he was in Knocked Up, he was in Spring Breakdown. He's been in a couple of things like the Breakup Girl and but he was very, very funny. I liked it. Nick Thune was and it recalled a bunch of Seattle stories too, which always nice when you know the places that these people are talking about.
Speaker 1: I started watching The Perfect Couple. Is that what the name of it is? The Netflix with Theiv Schreiver and Sliv Schreiver and Nicole Kidman and Jacob and I were talking about it earlier. It's it's odd because those two do a great job so far.
Speaker 3: I just started it.
Speaker 1: Those two do a great job because they're very talented actors.
Speaker 3: The supporting cast is, as.
Speaker 1: Jacob put it, overacting, almost like a soap opera type of a.
Speaker 2: Thing, like they're trying to catch up to Nicole and live.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I thought he said that perfectly. It's exactly what it feels like, a little overacting, maybe too many pauses, too many staring into different you know, situations, and the abyss.
Speaker 3: It's just kind of that weird soap opera timing as well.
Speaker 2: It's all about a woman about to marry into one of the wealthiest families on Nantucket. Until there's a death that derails the wedding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a rich family that has this sprawling estate. Everyone comes to the estate for the wedding and the rehearsal, dinner and everything, and so far it's a classic who done it? Everyone has a motive. That's how they've set up as the episode one and two is just that everyone. They're laying out everyone's motive to do something and to be involved with this.
Speaker 3: Murder, seemingly murder that right now, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know if it's an accidental drowning or a murder, And that's that's how they're laying it out.
Speaker 2: That's good. The one headline I saw about it. My wife has also started watching it. The only headline I saw about it was that Nicole Kidman and Live Schreier have some sort of sex scene. Live Shreiver happens to be the ex husband of Nicole Kidman's best friend. I think Naomi wats oh interesting, Like that would be an odd day on the set, wouldn't it.
Speaker 1: It's funny because where I'm at in a series, it doesn't seem like these two have sex.
Speaker 2: It's barely a sex scene. Oh really, it's nothing. Jacob you like them hotter than that as well.
Speaker 3: I mean that's like kids stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just kids stuff, Bob, just kids, it's just kids stuff.
Speaker 1: Does Deborah have any sex shows to recommend? Oh? Boy? Uh, it's been a dry spell at line.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I know. I need to go find something.
Speaker 2: I really I need that. Right now we are in the middle of what you're watching. Wednesday, were talking about The Perfect Couple on Netflix.
Speaker 1: He Gary Channon, it's Becky. So the girl in the Perfect Couple is actually.
Speaker 2: The daughter of Bono.
Speaker 3: Oh, I didn't know if you knew that.
Speaker 2: The young girl I think you it's about to get married. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know you you do.
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Bye. Eve Houston is her name. She was in Bad Sisters, among other things. She's also played the title role in the musical film Flora and Son that just came out last year.
Speaker 1: I just watched the Woman of the Hour teaser that is up on our website at Gary and Shannon. And this is the one that was inspired by the story of Rodney al Kaala, remember him the serial killer in the seventies who went on the dating game. So and Anna Kendrick is directing this one and it's starring right and starring it is. It is a chilling thriller, as it's described, and it certainly feels that way looking at the teaser. This is a woman who Cheryl Bradshaw was her name, who appeared on the dating show with him The Dating Game, of course, and the synopsis says the stranger then fiction story of an aspiring actress in seventies Los Angeles and a serial killer in the midst of a year's long murder spree whose lives intersect when they're cast on The Dating Game.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But it's an interesting cast of actors that are involved here, because a lot of them are our comedians. Tony Hale most recognizable, probably from Arrested Development and Veep, Nicolette Robinson, Pete Holmes stand up comedian Pete Holmes. So very the interesting cast. But Blake Lively and Anna Kendrick are also coming back for a simple favor too.
Speaker 1: Oh that's cool. I think they left that opened, didn't they.
Speaker 2: I do remember that being sort of available, perhaps for a new one.
Speaker 1: I watched a Brothers trailer on the website. That's not for me, that's not that's for me, that's not for you.
Speaker 2: I love that you know that. I love that. That's a good thing. The Office is going to come back, and I am I am gobsmacked. I think is a correct term. Of course. The Office was originally a Ricky Gervais vehicle in the UK, and I believe it only had a season or two. The UK version comes to the United States. Everybody knows David Michael Scott, of course, played by Steve Carell as the Boss, this bumbling boss. Now they're talking about a spin off, kind of a continuation of that called The Paper, which will err On Peacock, but an Australian version, and the official trailer has finally dropped. That's going to be on Amazon Prime. Big announcement. Can I have a drum roll? Place the drum roll Lloyd's drum roll?
Speaker 1: People ask me how can I be come a gripe boss, And the answer is having a happy stuff.
Speaker 2: That love you found. This is a proper Hi John not man. I mean, it's it's got all this at least familiar characters, the actors you probably wouldn't know, but it's The Office Australia. Here's what gobsmacked to me. Here's what I didn't realize. Do you have any idea. How many versions like original vert that makes sense? Original versions of the office. There are no I'm going to tell you three. No, there's one in the United States, there's one in the UK. There's one in Australia that's coming out. There's one in Canada, in Chile, in the Czech Republic, in Finland, in France, in Germany and Greece, in India, Israel, Poland, Saudi Arabia and Sweden, they all had their own versions of makes that Office show?
Speaker 1: It makes sense because that's the vehicle, right. Everybody works in an office. There's different characters in an office. But the humor that we would have in our American offices is different than the kind of humor they'd have in the UK, or in Finland or what have you. Different jokes, different personalities, different experiences. So I can see where it would work for everybody. You just got to change the dialogue to fit your culture.
Speaker 2: And everybody knows. Michael Scott from the US version of it as sort of the regional manager for this paper company. In India it was jag Deep Chada and in Sweden it was Ova Sundberg. I didn't know that there were that many different versions of it.
Speaker 1: Did you know where the word gobsmacked came from?
Speaker 2: I think it was somebody who was hitting the face with a fish.
Speaker 1: No, it is a British word.
Speaker 2: But are you telling me that was not connected to people being hit in the face with fish?
Speaker 1: I don't think so. Ah, well, I don't believe fish are involved. But if you want to believe that, that's fine too.
Speaker 2: I was smacked in the my gob by a fish. Maybe I think there's fish in there somewhere. Ted Sarandos is challenging all of the streaming competitors. Of course, he's one of the CEOs of Netflix. He wants them to be as trend parent as Netflix when it comes to publicizing what viewers are watching. Here's the thing, does Netflix really are they really honest about how many people are watching? You've you've strolled through the old Netflix main page right and asked yourself, how in the world is Suits a Canadian show ranked number one in the United States? Why do people keep watching that show? Or why is something like Working Men the old Emilio estevej Charlie Sheen Vehicle? Why is that the number three most popular movie being watched in the United States today? Movie I know, but it's thirty years old.
Speaker 1: The word originated in England and Scotland in the mid nineteen thirties. It's a combination of the word's gob, which is slang for mouth, and smack, which is a verb that means to hit all that I feel like you've been hitting the mouth? Did you feel like you were hitting the mouth? With that information about that show More.
Speaker 2: In the Ears, Less in the Mouth, ABC is finding themselves in a little bit of hot water. Of course, it turns out that there was a bachelorette contestant, not Golden bachelorette, but a bachelorette contestant was arrested for burglarizing an ex girlfriend's home in Louisiana several years before he even got onto the show, which is raising questions about the vetting process that ABC and ME company goes through.
Speaker 3: Come on, it's not like anyone who's heart.
Speaker 2: He just broke into the place right well this time, but that's usually how it starts.
Speaker 3: Is that, right? Is that how you started your That's.
Speaker 2: How I started my crime spreeze. The first thing I did was break into an ex girlfriend's home. That sounded way too serious. Sorry, you didn't actually do that, did you. The girl and I thought we were going to say, if it's too serious, I don't want to keep talking about it. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on kfi Ams' forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.