Speaker 1: Welcome to the two seventeen Recovery Podcast. If you don't make mistakes, you won't learn. With your host, Corey Winfield.
Speaker 2: You know there was a reason why that didn't work out, and you can look back at it and go, yep, I'm glad that didn't work out how I wanted it, because I wouldn't have been fourrible. Got your ass. It is the eighteenth of February twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: My name's Corey Winfield.
Speaker 3: My name's Corey Smolker.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, we just missed two seventeen. I wouldn't say missed it. Kind of busy, but yeah, I was wanting to do one yesterday. But hey, we're here doing it today and I have an idea. We're going to get to that in just a second and involve some AI today. All right, Yeah, it should be fun. It will be fun.
Speaker 3: Actually, we're going to make this fun.
Speaker 1: It will be.
Speaker 2: But I just wanted to talk about Recovery Stories Message of Hope, Part A, which is coming up tomorrow Grand Trevis's Event Center in Trever's City, Michigan.
Speaker 1: So if you're around Trever City.
Speaker 2: Michigan, you want to come an cool doors open at four thirty, food starts at five and pizza tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and pizza, pizza and caesar salad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it'll be good.
Speaker 2: And we were going to do pizza at the very beginning because that was my favorite meal of all time. And we were like, no, let's do let's work harder, let's make spaghetti, let's make salad, let's do all this ourselves. Like I don't know what we were thinking, but.
Speaker 4: Well, it sounds easier like a spaghetti dinner. It sounds easier than realizing what work really goes into it.
Speaker 3: We realized that, yeah.
Speaker 2: It was hard, and yeah, we have funding you know to do that with the pay two funds, So like, hey, let's do that and let's put on a nice meal for the recovery community. And that's exactly what it is. And the recovery community in Trever's City is so amazing. They come out and they support each other so well, like you could do anything and they would they would support you, you know, because they support each other. And that's the thing. People are like, oh, two seventies. I'm like, no, no, this is two seventeen. This is the recovery community doing it, you know, Like we applied for the funding and we call the places and get the food there. But like, no, it's it's the recovery community coming together. And that's what makes it so cool around here in this area about it.
Speaker 4: And it is nice to see like all aspects of the recoveries groups and people coming together one night and listening to different speakers from the different multiple pathways and then you know, having some fun and intergrading and connecting along and then you know, Dakowski guys being there and seeing that this is this is what it is and how you connect and yeah, network.
Speaker 2: Don't worry about it's about breaking a bottle. This way it works meets you around the back, like, hey, you don't drink anywhere. What do you know that bottle now? But you're right, you know, and the people come in too, because it's not about it's whatever whatever pathway can get you there. Man.
Speaker 1: That's how I look at it.
Speaker 2: And again I've said a billion times podcasting, I would say that that was one of the tools I used talking about my.
Speaker 1: Recovery every day and or every other day, four days a week. It was a lot. But the speakers tomorrow are gonna be awesome.
Speaker 2: Sally S, you know, John g and Percy and it's gonna be fun, put together a little fun promo.
Speaker 1: But see, I'm not a good voice guy.
Speaker 3: Oh I think it is good.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know, I don't I don't have.
Speaker 2: That like Saturday that the trucks, you know, like Monster trus Ra and I guess not that I was trying for that, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think it was good your promo video and like your radio voice, it's clear, it's understandable.
Speaker 2: And you know, maybe just because it doesn't sound like me, because it's like I'm doing an announcer guy, you know, reading a commercial. You know, we're just like I'm talking with you right now. It's totally different voice than if I was just going to be.
Speaker 4: Like no, But I think it sounds good when you do it, and you know, your other little videos and when you talk like it's just clear and crisp and understandable. I mean me, you know, when I talk, it's just unpredictable.
Speaker 1: Yes it is. I'm not even going to hit.
Speaker 3: The drop, so we don't need to. We just we know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then with the video I put out on Facebook, I uploaded it through Facebook because if you don't they won't show with anybody. So I did that, and I did the edited version because I showed it to you and Marty, and you guys are both like whoa like first like oh, that's cool, and then I let it go keep playing the extended version, and Marny's reaction went from like oh my god, that's great to like, okay, yeah, that's okay.
Speaker 4: I think because she pa she had a pot I think I think you did pause too long.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, because you think it's.
Speaker 2: Over and then it's not, and then you're hit with like something that something to say is creepy. But I thought it was like cinematics, so I was like all.
Speaker 3: Right, or like suspenseal, like oh okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it was like showing one of the signs that I actually made for. I think I made it for Justin at one point when he was here, and it was about it's about your goals and are you doing enough to reach your goals or are you doing enough just to get by? Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: I always had to make sure put.
Speaker 1: That by his office door, and I told him that's for you, Justin. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think one time I had to set it on his desk.
Speaker 2: I mean, hey, sometimes it's a little well that's not a gentle reminder, but yeah, sometimes you just need it. But like, but that's true and sometimes you need to hear that, and so yeah, I thought it was cool and I just was filming it. I was like, hey, this is kind of cool to add to the end a little creepy sound, and I thought it was good. So that one is available you can go to if you want to jump on our YouTube channel, you can see it there, go to the Recovery Story's.
Speaker 1: Channel and it's on that.
Speaker 2: But what I want to do now though, is I thought it would be wonderful. I was updating my page at two seventeen recovery dot com. Still waiting for you and Marnie to give me those photos so I can update your guys is oh yeah, yeah, it's been a couple of months, not weeks, but I don't know. So I updated my page. It looks way better. Check it out to seventeen recovery dot com. Corey with E check out my page and then uh, I was like, hey, write this bio to it doesn't look stupid. And I realized something that reading my bio, it's just and you've probably already gone through this, ugh, Like I mean, yeah, I was there, I did that, done that, But like it's so back in the past that I want to more highlight this is what I'm doing now or these are my dreams today, you know. Like and I think that's why I was getting kind of taken back by the bio because I was like, what what am I supposed to write on here if I'm not trying to be stuck? So I kind of broke it up into three sections of like, hey, this is this is what I'm doing kind of working on and this is what got us there kind of thing. But then I was like, man, what if I had like question answers. I'm like, man, if I should just had somebody answer me or ask me some questions? And I thought what about using AI? So I jumped on the claud Ai and I was like, hey, ask me some questions. It could be about anything, it could be about recovery, it could be about whatever. And it was like, all right, cool, like your idea, so throughout ten questions and so I want.
Speaker 3: You to ask you these questions.
Speaker 2: Yes, And it said that I should like really draw it out, like hey, I got these questions and make it like a week long like thing. But I don't know when we're going to do a podcast again, so I think we should just run through some of them. Yeah, so these are ten questions from AI.
Speaker 3: Did you already study these for your No?
Speaker 2: I looked at the first one. I can't remember. It was about a license plate or something. Maybe not okay, okay?
Speaker 4: Question one? All right, what's the one thing people misunderstand most about being in recovery?
Speaker 1: That you can't have fun anymore?
Speaker 3: Yeah? That was me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh, if I can't drink, gonna I'm gonna watch football? How am I gonna do longer? How'm gonna do anything? How am I gonna go to a concert? But I have to smoke weed on the way. I gotta get drunk.
Speaker 1: On the way.
Speaker 2: Come on, man, you know those beers are like fifteen bucks. We gotta like hit it before, Like, how would I do that without drinking?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: But then you realize that it's way more fun without drinking, way cheaper. I think it's just yeah, all across the board.
Speaker 3: Yes, someone told me I had to redescribe my definition of fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then think about, wait, when's the last time I had fun when I was drinking.
Speaker 3: When did I remember having that fun?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 4: Question two, you started a podcast from a sober house. What did you know then that you didn't know you knew?
Speaker 1: What did I know then that I didn't? Wait?
Speaker 4: What what did you know then that you didn't.
Speaker 3: Know you knew?
Speaker 1: What did I know then that I didn't know I knew? Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay, So it's saying, hey, I had like them hard questions, So they want to know what I knew then that I knew that. Maybe I thought I didn't know.
Speaker 1: Right. Like looking back, I'm like.
Speaker 3: All right, you didn't know that you knew?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So like looking back at it, you knew it, but then you didn't think you knew it.
Speaker 2: With starting the podcast, I would say that my co hosts would change over the years, but I would still keep going.
Speaker 4: I think also, too, I don't think you realized how much of an I think you knew it was an outlet for you. But I think now you really appre appreciate that that was your outlet for you.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, like.
Speaker 4: You are, you knew it then, but I don't think you knew it as well as now when you like you look back at it and.
Speaker 1: Talk about it.
Speaker 2: That's true. Yeah, I would say that is correct. Good, thanks for answering the quest. No, but that is that's yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean because that's what I hear from, like in our different conversations and like when you talk to people and stuff. And then also too, we just been you know, running the wheels on the cart ear with three wheels, and so we're not doing the podcast as much. And how much I think you realize you miss maybe some of that outlet, Yeah I do, okay. Number three all right, I'm excited to hear this one. If two seventeen Recovery had a tombstone, what would it say?
Speaker 2: I would just hope I had like a little date like born twenty nineteen dash and then just.
Speaker 3: Nothing had fun and recovery bad mother.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know just the date.
Speaker 3: I guess, just the date. What does a bad day look like for you now?
Speaker 4: And how is it different from a bad day an active addiction.
Speaker 1: I would say a bad day.
Speaker 2: Is I get behind a school bus on the way and I don't know, like sober people problems. This is something I say all the time to people, you know, like is even when I'm taking my car into the shop or we're doing something else. You know, it's just like, ah, that's something that's gone my way. And I go, well, you know, I know that I'm complaining about this, but this is still way better than the life I used to have. And you know, these are sober people problems what we call, you know, it's nice to have those.
Speaker 1: The bad day on the other end of it.
Speaker 2: And oh, I was just talking to my friend John and I was complaining to him about this software that I'm using called fade in. And I used to love the software. It's like eighty bucks. It was great, and he used it to write films and scripts and stuff. Well, I upgraded it and now it doesn't work. So I'm like I on the phone with John and I'm mentioning him about it, and He's just like, what are you even talking about? And I'm like, I know, dude, these are so people problems. I remember a day when I was I was like, I don't know when my electro is going to get turned back on, and I don't think I have the gas to drive to my mom's house to ask her because she want to answer the phone. Great, this is wonderful, Like those are the problems I had before and so, yeah, going to complain about my car not getting as clean as it was supposed to do, or I don't know, whatever you wanted to complain about, you know, like this red light's taking too long.
Speaker 4: That's just patience, all right. Number five? You're a filmmaker, a broadcaster, a nonprofit under in, a podcaster?
Speaker 3: Which one are you? When nobody is watching?
Speaker 2: I would say I'm stressed out? The guy that's trying to play doctor, but not the good kind, the guy that's kind of the guy that's trying to.
Speaker 1: Figure out what's going on with my body and what is really going on? And how can I just pull my stuff together?
Speaker 4: What's a story from northern Michigan that the world needs to hear but hasn't.
Speaker 2: It's not a bear trap. I don't know which way do you want to go with it? You know, do you want to go like what people would be like upset if they knew about or like.
Speaker 1: A good story.
Speaker 2: Of like a guy who's you know, putting in the work and getting things done, because Kim Hopkins Walker is a great.
Speaker 1: Story of that. A very own cheers.
Speaker 2: You know, somebody who's come through left treatment, went back home. Because you're going to do it whatever, and then realized, Nope, I can't do it.
Speaker 1: Came back.
Speaker 2: You know, some would say with egg on your face, you know like that, it's harder to get back up the second and third time. Sometimes, you know, in the fourth and fifth it's harder. Every time it gets harder. It's not easier just because you know the ropes. It's harder. So come back and then do it and in the face and do recovery. So we're living in a place that you don't even know like and then to get your own play. I mean, I don't know, she's she's a success story.
Speaker 1: I would say, so there you go that story, then keep it positive. I like it.
Speaker 4: If you could go back and sit with yourself in the hospital bed in January of twenty and fifteen, what do you say.
Speaker 2: I'll probably just cry like you just even thinking about it, it's making me cheer up a little bit.
Speaker 3: What would you say to yourself?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't even know. I don't know. Just thinking about it makes me tear up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think i'd tell as if anything, glad we weren't roaming video on that one.
Speaker 1: Jeez, that's right.
Speaker 4: What do you believe about God that you couldn't have said out loud five years ago, five years ago, Man, these are some deep they just get deep AI.
Speaker 1: What the hell? Man? I wish I had fans. They could write me letters.
Speaker 2: Ask me questions, But you gotta use AI when you don't read the question what do.
Speaker 3: You believe about God? That you couldn't have said out loud five years ago?
Speaker 2: I guess that your relationship with God can can get better. You know, like when you have like two years clean and you're like, man, things are going great, and people like, oh, it gets better and you're like okay, and then two years later it gets better and you're like, oh my God, this good.
Speaker 4: It's kind of like that, yeah, or it's like even in the beginning, right, you don't it's almost like this, I had this like conformed thing about God and like you just don't never know where you can talk about it or what it is. And you know now today like to I'm free out loud to say that I believe in God or my my own power of my understanding and what He does for me. But I mean for me if you would ask me this almost eleven years ago, I would sometimes question if.
Speaker 3: God had the best interest for me? All right?
Speaker 4: Number nine, what's the most dangerous lie the recovery industry tells people.
Speaker 1: Boxing's not addictive, can get high on it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, very true? Okay.
Speaker 4: Number ten, Claude AI is asking you these questions. Does that feel strange and what does it say about where we are headed?
Speaker 2: Well, no, it doesn't feel strange because I asked it to and it means that I don't have any fans.
Speaker 1: I guess I have a couple of friends, but I guess fans.
Speaker 4: I mean, you never gave me an assignment. I've come up with some questions. Ask you.
Speaker 1: You're busy right now?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think this is cool, though I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think it's kind of deep in some spots. But that's where I mean. That's why we're here though, right is it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Anyways, I went from hey, this will be a fun little thing to like, I'm crying and tear up stupid.
Speaker 1: I'll never do that again. I'm glad we didn't video tape for that. That's horrible.
Speaker 3: Glad this wasn't my idea.
Speaker 4: Don't share this one stop, but please do share it because Recovery Stories Message of pop Part eight is tomorrow and we would love to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I did get an email from a guy, not that he's a fan, but it was on Facebook to two seventeen and he was talking about recovery stories and he was like, hey, can I share it. I was like, no, Like, we're pretty structured on time and how we do it and we got to get out of there by a certain time, you know, And I was like, you know, we we can kick it and I can talk to you, get to know your story, you know, like you can't just throw people on stage.
Speaker 1: Sure, buddy, get up there, you know, and they start selling knife or something.
Speaker 2: Hey, for nine ninety nine, you're gonna wait, what what's happening right now?
Speaker 1: My luck, yes, that would happened.
Speaker 2: But but no, So that was kind of cool that, you know, he said his brother shared it with them, I believe, and it's like, all right, cool, Like that's that's awesome, you know.
Speaker 4: So what's awesome is that means that's that it the word is getting passed around or shared in the community. And also or maybe even they've seen the flyers somewhere up you know, and so that's that's awesome. That means words getting out there, and I think also too, you know, more people as I hear when people come in, what are you doing your.
Speaker 3: Next recovery stories? You know, and.
Speaker 4: Sometimes it's hard to remember who all says that to make sure either flyers they get the memo.
Speaker 2: And then every time we're like, we're going to email everybody next time, uh huh, and we don't.
Speaker 3: Sorry, we're trying the best.
Speaker 1: One day we're going to spam people. I mean one day, We're going to do.
Speaker 2: It one day, one day, one day, and it's going to be real good too. Trust me, when we send an email, it'll be good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will one day. Just keep waiting.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening, and hopefully this was someone entertaining and yeah, well we'll recap recovery stories nictually get into some good recovery talk because there's a a lot of stuff going on right now in all of our lives really and you know, a lot of moving parts. But maybe we'll do an episode from the road coming up in a week or so, but that'd be cool. Yeah, So then check out to seventeen recovery dot com and our YouTube channel for updates.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the two seventeen Recovery podcast. Listen to over nine hundred episodes on the two seventeen
Speaker 2: Recovery app that's free in your app store or online at two seventeen recovery dot com.