Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Update on the President. He is threatening to place sanctions on Russia today. It was a truth social post this morning where he said he is strongly considering large scale banking sanctions, sanctions and tariffs on Russia. Finding something interesting out about Trump, maybe something new or maybe something that we always knew about him, but it just feels kind of new, the fact that I think that he wants or that he's listening to feedback coming up next, another example of this where he's kind of backtracking when it comes to doge and the just move fast and break everything kind of mentality that he and Elon Musk have had when it comes to the federal government and cutting the bloat.
Speaker 2: Kind of backtracking there.
Speaker 1: Now he's kind of backtracking on his romance with Putin talking about sanctions on Russia. Kind of a little bit of a realization that this is a president who does listen to the negative things people say and does like to be liked. But most importantly we go to Amy King, who mans our eglet Desk here at KFI and a great piece of information, great breaking news.
Speaker 2: We got yesterday.
Speaker 1: I was on my way home when we found out about the third egg amy.
Speaker 3: Yes, and if you check out the live feed now on, you can find it on our website kfiam six forty dot com slash big Bear Mom is or maybe it's Dad. I think it's either Jackie or Shadow feeding the two egglts right now. But that gives us prime viewing for that third egg which is pipping. There is a big old hole in the egg and you can see you can see that third egglet trying to get out.
Speaker 4: It's so cool.
Speaker 3: And then you can also watch the babies who are much bigger and fluffier than when they first came out. They are vicious, little, vicious little egglets. I guess they're not eglets anywhere, they're eglits.
Speaker 4: But and it's what they do.
Speaker 3: It's establishing that pecking order. I mean, that's like a literal thing. And they just peck each other and bite each other because they want to be the first one to eat.
Speaker 1: It's pretty disgusting what I'm watching right now. Got live eyes on either Jackie or Shadow feeding what's left of this fish? You've got Jackie, your shadow's two fish Karkai carcasses and yeah, I don't know if that's the word, but it felt fun. Shack e r shadow is ripping the flesh out of what remains of this fish, chewing it up and then regurgitating it into the mouths of these baby eglets. Listen, this is not for the faint of heart. It is nature but beautiful. I mean the fish and the blood and the guts coming out of this fish. This shadow just puts her beacon there and just chomp, chomp, chomps, and then bites it up a little bit. The raw flesh of the fish. And those little eaglets, they are adorable. They're very furry, they're very fluffy. And you're right, the sibling rivalry is there. One of the eglets just tried to take a bite out of the other eglt's head.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they do that. They do that quite often. And then like I said, do you see that egg and how much.
Speaker 4: Of the third egle?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: See, because because you know what that eglet that's still in the egg with like its little head out. I mean this this eglet might come out right now, like this eglet might be cause it's its fur is kind of peeking through that little hole in the egg shell. But what that eglet is smelling is the smell, the delicious smell, the wafting aroma of the carry on flesh of the fish.
Speaker 3: And did you see so yesterday they had that big you know, we had a lot of snow and so it's like they filled the freezer because Shadow brought this ginormous fish and just left it. And so there was blood all over the nest and then Jackie got up and threw the head off the edge of the of the uh of the nest and stuff.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just fascinating to watch.
Speaker 3: And I think a lot of you have tuned in after listening to and talk about this because there's like ninety five thousand people watching this right now.
Speaker 1: It was funny John came in here yesterday before his show, and you know, we've got nineteen television screens up here because Gary was high maintenance and asked for them. And John comes and he points to the screen.
Speaker 2: He's like, what's that? What are they eating? What is that bloody thing?
Speaker 1: I mean, everyone's fixated on this, this camera, and I mean part of it is is because it's a feel good story.
Speaker 2: You've got babies being born. Everybody loves that.
Speaker 1: You've got that aspect of nature which is just so raw and so elemental and wonderful to behold and to learn about as well.
Speaker 2: And then there's also the.
Speaker 1: Perverse part of our little lizard brain that's into watching animals eat each other, you know, for survival. I think all of those things play out. So Jackie and Shat are Jackie or Shadow. We don't know which one this is. This is Shadow, this is Shadow. Shadow is the dad, Okay.
Speaker 3: And he is now settled in on He's fed the babies, and now he's settled in.
Speaker 4: It's time for a nap.
Speaker 2: Where's mom at? Where's Jackie? She had a facial or something.
Speaker 3: She's getting a little respite from the nest because she was with them pretty much all day yesterday during the snowstorm.
Speaker 1: She didn't leave the nest much. Wow, Okay, good for her. So she's having a little me time, having a little meat time. Coming up a little bit later, we're going to be talking about somebody who works on this nest, the friends of Big Bear Valley. They have a big weekend ahead of them because, as you know, we've got more weather coming in and it is a very precarious time for these baby eglts. And yes, Jackie in shadow are veterans, they are experienced parents. They know what to do. But at the same time, there are precautions to take when it comes to keeping these little eaglets safe. So we will get into all of that coming up next. Doge may not be moving things, moving fast and breaking things anymore when it comes to the federal government. The president backtracking today when it comes to cutting government blowed at least getting a little bit more particular about it. It seems maybe listening to some of the negative feedback.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Gary will be back Monday. PS. You know where Gary has been? Oh man, I was gonna say he's been in Big Bear. I thought he was in Big Bear for a minute. In my mind, he's been in Mammoth. I don't know if that's public knowledge, but it is now. But for a moment there, because they went to Big Bear last time, I thought that they were in Big Bear and I had this like fan fiction narrative running that he and the wife were there because of the Eglitz and like they were there with the nest the whole time, and then it all got ruined when it just dawned on me that they were in Mammoth. But maybe they found some Eglitz there. I don't know, but anyway, he will be back on Monday. Did we get somebody talking about Amy and or Eglitz?
Speaker 2: Jacob, he Shannon and Amy.
Speaker 6: Just listening to you guys to leasa here. I've been watching these eagles forever and.
Speaker 4: Amy, how do you know which one's shadow and which.
Speaker 2: One's jack Good? Probably so true.
Speaker 3: Everybody in my office we have them on off the computer screens and the TV.
Speaker 5: This amazing show that.
Speaker 6: They're explaining for us.
Speaker 4: Help us out. Let us know how you guys can tell.
Speaker 1: Excellent question, Lisa, Amy, how do you how can you tell the difference?
Speaker 3: Okay, So Jackie is larger than shadow, and Shadow is more. His head is flatter. Seriously, the top of his head is a little bit flatter. And now there's a telltale sign that didn't used to be there. But Jackie now has a spot above her I believe it's her.
Speaker 4: Is it a right eye? Yeah, it's a it's above her right eye.
Speaker 3: That they think it's sap or something, but it's it's definitely there, so you you know immediately it's her.
Speaker 1: Interesting, So how quickly before these eagles get back at it and make new babies? Like, what's the time frame before they start, you know, having their marital bliss times again?
Speaker 3: Jackie and Shadow? Yeah, they do this every year. Every year they make babies. They've tried. Remember last year they laid three eggs and no babies. Yeah, and then the year before and there've been several you know where they haven't survived and that kind of stuff. Their chances of surviving are fifty percent. Do eaglits just do this until they die? Do they just procreate until they die? Or does somebody hit the change?
Speaker 4: You know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: But they live to be thirty or more years old?
Speaker 1: Do you like amy that we realize that you can tell the difference between Jackie and Shadow? And then I just decided that you know everything about eglitz and eagles and everything about how.
Speaker 2: Their bodies work.
Speaker 4: That's okay, I'll pretend to be an expert.
Speaker 1: All right, so we will stay on top of this again. The third egg has a massive hole in it and that EGLT is pippin to get out. His appearance is imminent. Yes, imminent, you guys, imminent. So stay right here. We will do live play by play of this birth words. I never thought I would say. Okay, So President Trump now has directed cabinet secretaries to use a scalpel rather than a hatchet to make personnel cuts. This was a shocker to me. Maybe I've underestimated this president. I thought he kind of it's my way or the highway, and I'm on a one way mind, in one way track in my mind. When it comes to whatever it is, I want accomplished. But if you listen to his detractors, that's the same kind of words that they have used, that he's using a sledgehammer or a hatchet rather than a scalpel when it comes to deputizing Elon Musk to get rid of government bloat that this is the way things work in Silicon Valley, move fast, break things, but that when it comes to government, it can't work that way for a variety of reasons. If you're listening, you're not in government. I'm not in government. The reason that I don't have a government job one of the many number one, they'd never hire me. But number two, I don't like minutia. I don't like protocol. I don't like bureaucracy. I've never been into following all the rules or reading all the emails. It's just so antithetical to like what I believe in in how I can operate. I am a mess and I like things that are messy. Government is not that way. In Silicon Valley, it's that way the rules go out of the window, just get it done right. But in government you kind of have to have protocol. You know, managers know this. You have to kind of do things by the book for a number of reasons. And it seems like now the administration is kind of listening to the detractors and saying, all right, well, I mean.
Speaker 2: In their own way, they're giving it.
Speaker 1: He is giving it to the members of the Cabinet, which are of course the figureheads of the government agencies, and saying that it will be the cabinet secretaries to use a scalpel rather than the hatchet of Elon Musk. There has been a lot of blowback after waves of job cuts have gone into the federal work force. So Trump said on a social media post I've instructed the secretaries and leadership to work with DOGE on cost cutting measures and staffing. He says, as the secretaries learn about and understand the people working for the various departments, they can be very precise as to who will remain and who will go. Now, going back to what Trump said before Congress, you hate him, you hate him. He could cure cancer, he could do wonderful things, and you would not give him credit for it. And Okay, but I'm kind of in the camp of I'm going to give people credit for good things or good thoughts, no matter where they land politically.
Speaker 2: And when he said this, I gave him a point. He said, it's very important that.
Speaker 1: We cut levels down to where they should be, but it's also important to keep the best and most productive people.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, can't we all agree to that.
Speaker 1: I know it's terri if you work in the federal government and you feel like they're just using a hatchet willy nilly to get rid of jobs. And there is some you know, there's some redundancy. Any job you work in, you know there's redundancy. Do you want to see people's lives changed and them get fired and it changed the course of their families and things that no nobody wants that. But if you want a leaner, more efficient government, there's going to be pain had. But this backtracking a little bit and kind of taking a more nuanced approach, I think is a good thing.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: We'll get into more of that coming up and swamp watch how that will play off. Also, the tariffs today the President kind of threatening Russia with bank sanctions. We'll get into that as well. But coming up next. Remember that horrific murder in Idaho on the college campus or on the college campus housing. That guy who burst into that party house and killed fatally, stabbed, stabbed and killed four students. Well, there were two survivors, and we've heard very little about the survivors, but now we're getting text messages the two sent each other inside that house while their friends were getting murdered.
Speaker 2: We'll tell you about that when we come back.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 4: I too cannot tell them apart, but I am rooting for them and turning it on in our family room every single day.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 5: Shannon, Shannon, I almost drove.
Speaker 2: Off the roads.
Speaker 5: You asked, do the eaglests do it until they die or until the change? The change?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Too funny, too funny. This is yet another reason why I love you. I love love love KFI. I love you guys, we love you too.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's a fair question because there's been a lot of eggs. I think there's been like fourteen different eggs. Anyway, what have you? We will stay on top of the ag, just like Jackie and Shadow. Have you heard about the new generation? It already has a name. This is pretty stupid. Actually, why did generations have names? You know, I can understand when the names make sense. It's kind of like naming wildfires. You know, they used to name, or they may still name wildfires based on ignition points. So if a fire was ignited on Waterfall Lane and it's up in, let's just say Sierra Madre on Waterfall Lane and they call it the waterfall fire, and you're thinking to yourself, the waterfall fire.
Speaker 2: You're thinking, where's the waterfall? Right?
Speaker 1: You know where, and nobody knows where the hell that is. But if you say the fire in Sierra Madre, it was a Chris Little rule. Our news director here for a very long time. He had a rule of just say, just call the fire of where it is, so we know where the hell the fire is. It's kind of like generations. When you come up with these generations X or Y. What the hell does that mean? How are you supposed to know what generation you're talking about when you say things like the latch key generation.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: That was like when all the moms went to work in the eighties and the kids came home and they had the latch key and you were by yourself for a few hours.
Speaker 2: That makes sense.
Speaker 1: But there's a new generation here and it has arrived on January first, and it is called generation Beta. Not going to go over well because beta these days means weak and a bunch of words I can't say on the radio, Woosie, I guess is the old school term beta just means like this weak stream type dude, I think in twenty twenty five, So calling the new generation beta probably not going to go well. They say that this is a successor to Generation Alpha. Did I miss that whole thing? I don't remember generation Alpha. Obviously, it's following the conventions of the Greek alpha bet The man responsible for this moniker for this whole thing as a guy by the name of Mark McCrindle, a social researcher and demographer who coined jen alpha. They say his use of Greek letters was meant to be systematic and scientific, not descriptive or suspicious.
Speaker 2: He said, the terms have no inherent meeting.
Speaker 1: Yet people have laid in these labels with characterizations because that's what we do, Mark alpha and beta and sigma. None of that's going to mean anything to us. These are people in the new generation beta, mostly under the age of fourteen, they say. Walk through in elementary or middle school, you'll hear jen alpha throwing around beta as an insult and sigma as a compliment.
Speaker 2: He says.
Speaker 1: Both of these terms are a broad part of abroad and evolving lexicon known as brain rot.
Speaker 2: I don't know why we need to name these things.
Speaker 1: I think it's stupid and that's definitely not going to take hold, right, who's gonna who's gonna remember Generation beta or what have you?
Speaker 2: Just call them what they are.
Speaker 1: Call them, like the Zoom generation, the kids that had to go to school on zoom right, or what have you. The latch that all stuff makes sense the alpha beta thing makes no sense.
Speaker 2: It's like hurricanes. They should have they should have good names for them, not just the letters of the alphabet. And that's no fun. All right.
Speaker 1: Coming up, we will get to the story out of Colorado about those text messages between the surviving kids when it came to that quadruple murder there at the University of Idaho.
Speaker 2: Chilling text messages.
Speaker 6: Really, you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: You have reached the well what has become the law and order update of your day. South Carolina inmate will be put to death today unless it's stopped by the Governor Harry McMaster there in South Carolina. This evening's execution of Brad Sigmund will be the first ever by a firing squad in South Carolina in modern history. First time it's been done in fifteen years anywhere. He was found guilty of beating his ex girlfriend's parents to death with a baseball bat in twenty tw thousand and one because she wouldn't go back to him. He has asked for the firing squad. He prefers it to lethal injection. There also of note in the law and order world. A judge says a woman who stabbed her friend years ago in an effort to summon the fictional Slenderman can be released from a mental institution. We all remember this story very troubling. Two little girls now. Woman Morgan Geyser was twelve when she and another friend lured a fellow twelve year old Peyton into the Wisconsin woods in twenty fourteen and stabbed her nineteen times. Peyton survived, and this woman, Morgan, now twenty two, was sent to an institution.
Speaker 2: A judge that she can be released.
Speaker 1: They had a hearing on a petition that aimed to keep her committed. Three doctors testified that she's well enough to let go, to be let go. Now, call me crazy. I don't care how old you are. Twelve is enough to know better. Twelve is enough to know that you to know someone's evil. Twelve is enough to know better than stabbing someone nineteen times in the woods, luring them there and then stabbing them nineteen times.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know how you explain that away as childhood's stuff, or whatever the hell label they're going to put on that. I mean, keeping her inside forever seems severe, but just letting her out and about nineteen times a little stabbing a little girl like that, My God. Anyway, Michael Monks will be joining us for our local law and order desk coming up after Amy's news at the top of the hour. Jurors still can't make up their mind with that Orange County judge who's shot and killed his wife after the family went out to dinner. He has a couple pops, shoots and kills her, and now the jury is very perplexed about what to do. Jury and Los Angeles, so we'll get to that as well. But now we're hearing from the surviving members of that quadruple stabbing murder spree that happened at the University of Idaho.
Speaker 2: We all remember this.
Speaker 1: Four University of Idaho students stabbed and killed in a house near the campus. Now we knew there were two survivors, two roommates, and now we know that they began urgently texting each other after one of them saw a masked man moving through the house. One of the girls, Dylan, texts her friend upstairs and says, what's going on. The friend did not answer, but Dylan was able to make contact with a downstairs roommate, Bethany. Bethany texted back, I'm freaking out. Bethany and Dylan were the only survivors of that stabbing spree, and they began texting back and forth shortly before the four thirty am.
Speaker 2: This was just after.
Speaker 1: Dylan saw that masked man walking in the hallway outside her bedroom door. This all went down November thirteenth, twenty twenty two, and they believe that these texts are now giving new insight into the confusion and the fright of the surviving roommates. Apparently they hunkered down in Bethany's room until later that morning. As we mentioned, Dylan called or texted each of the victims at the same time about four thirty am, but received no response. The only one who responded was Bethany, and no one called nine to one one until more than seven hours later. That was always the weird thing, But when you think about a college party house everyone admitting there had been a lot of drinking going on, that can kind of explain away that seven hour lack of action. Dylan, who had seen this masked figure in the house, told Bethany by text that no one is answering when the question came up, we'll wear the other roommates. She describes seeing someone wearing almost like a ski mask, and Bethany told Dylan run downstairs so they can be together. She texted her, it's better than being alone. This was a mystery from go what were the two surviving roommates doing, And now we know. Of course, prosecutors have charged this guy, thirty years old now with murdering the four victims. They were found in two bedrooms in this college town of Moscow, Idaho. Trial is scheduled to start in August. At the time, this guy was a PhD student in criminology at Washington State University. This is about twenty minutes away from this college town. Again, we heard little about the actions of the two surviving roommates, but now we know that, according to Dylan's account, she heard noises, saw that masked man, and texted around the house. Recent court records have offered more detail. Dylan told law enforcement officers she had been drunk and she was struggling to determine what was real and what was a dream. That at one point she saw that person in the hallway. She thought that was a firefighter up after seeing him, she went to Bethany's room and the two fell asleep.
Speaker 2: These are according to court records.
Speaker 1: After the initial round of texts at ten twenty three, after she woke up, she sent more messages to her upstairs roommates asking if either one of them were awake, are you up please answer. Later, one of the friends comes to the house and discovers the body of one of the victims.
Speaker 2: That's when nine one one was finally called.
Speaker 1: Someone on the call, by the way, reports that one of the rooms mates was drunk last night and won't wake up. Well, that roommate wasn't just hungover, she was dead. Police officers arrive and they find that gruesome scene. Four people found dead. They don't know any prior connections still between the stabber and the victims. They found that knife sheath on the bed next to one of the victims that matched the blood. The blood on the sheath matched the blood of the guy they've got for this, Brian Coburger. Recently, his lawyers have tried to say, well, he's got autism and they're trying to get the death penalty off the table because of it, Like autism makes you stab and kill for strangers, give me a break, all right, So when we come back, Michael Monks will join us. Why is this jury having such a hard time convicting this judge from Orange County who all but confessed to shooting and killing his wife just moments after Who did he tell a vagrant on the street. No, he texted his bailiff and his court report instead, I just shot my wife. I won't be in tomorrow. What's the problem. What's the hang up? Michael Monks will give us all the tails when we come back.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 1: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio AP