Speaker 1: Abuse and trauma, often rippled through generations, repeating a devastating cycle that we hear about all too often in the world of true crime. Today, we delve into a tragic story where one victim survived her own childhood horrors, only to subject her own daughter to the same unspeakable abuse that she endured. This time, however, the victim would not survive. This is the brutal and heartbreaking story of Jeanette Maples. My name's Ben, I'm Nicole.
Speaker 2: And you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a.
Speaker 1: True crime podcast.
Speaker 2: Following material intended for a mature audience.
Speaker 1: Listener discretion advised. Oh man, oh man, what a case.
Speaker 2: This was a doozy one for you to research?
Speaker 1: Eh, it is, Well, we're researching far too late. It is Tuesday right now, it is three pm for us. I spend all morning and even into the afternoon doing some research finishing this off because I needed to do a proper justice and we just did a two parter, so there's no way I was going to split into two parts to do the other half of the research in the coming days, so I would just hunker down and here we are, so we.
Speaker 2: Get an extra long episode today, Luie.
Speaker 1: We definitely do and shout out to our patrons. We did a little post there asking for you know, you guys give us some cases. Let's hear what you got. We need to do some recommended ones from you guys here for a little bit, and we got a long list of some pretty wild cases and Scarlett ross on there recommended this case and said quote, if you don't do Jeanette Maples, I'm gonna have a fit. Though I know she was joking, but that alone got me. I was like, Okay, okay, she's pretty serious about this case. Let me see what it's about. And oh boy, it's it's heavy.
Speaker 2: She really hooked you up here.
Speaker 1: Hey yeah, so Scarlet, uh, we're all blaming you today for this one.
Speaker 2: Wow, for like, you know, taking time to recommend.
Speaker 1: We definitely are. And everyone else who recommended over on Patreon too. We're gonna be going through that list and doing a few of those cases up and coming. But we also have patrons to thank who signed up this week. So we have Julie Watson, Chris Patrick, Sammy Joe, and Lois m right on. They all signed up on Patreon and getting all that extra good behind the scenes. They could have been putting suggestions in that list too. Maybe we'll do one of their cases here soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Even looked at that list. Yeah I need too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gone through a few cases and like I said, pick this case out of that list, and yeah, there's there's some good ones on there.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: It is so thank you guys so much for that sport, not only with suggestions but also with signing up. It means the world. But I think we should just get right into this.
Speaker 2: Case, no chit chat, just dive right in.
Speaker 1: I think so because it's going to be an extra long case today, so one or two things is going to happen. Either I'm going to be talking and flying through it and you guys are going to be overwhelmed with information, or we're going to be having a longer episode, so we don't need all the chit chat filler in there. Let's get straight to it.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: So Angela Michanalty. It's kind of an interesting name to pronounce. It's mc so like Mick, right, and then a nalty, So it's Angela Micanalty. Took me a few times to get that name right. Okay, So Angela mcinnalty was born on October two, nineteen sixty eight, in Sacramento, California, into a tough and troubled family environment. She lived with her mother, Nancy, her father Jerry, and a large group of siblings. Couldn't figure out exactly how many siblings she had, but it was a full household to say the least. Now Angela's upbringing, it was a rough one in this household. Nancy, Angela's mother was just eighteen years old when she gave birth to Angela, and by then she had already had two children from a previous relationship. Jerry, Angela's father, was quite the imposing figure and well, he was a terrifying man. Let's just say that. He was described as intimidating and violent and Jerry had ties to biker gangs and mingled with a lot of shady characters. He was a kind of man that others feared, someone you wouldn't want to cross. Now, this fear allowed Jerry to exert significant control over those around him and contributed to his ability to evade accountability for his actions because others didn't want to speak up to against them, right, so others aren't going to call him on his bullshit, because then they're the fear of that, you know, coming back to them.
Speaker 2: I get that, but I really don't love that. Yeah, that's terrible.
Speaker 1: Now. Despite his dangerous demeanor, Jerry also had a reputation of being a ladies man.
Speaker 2: M okay.
Speaker 1: He maintained multiple affairs during his relationship with Nancy, even fathering a child with another woman while Nancy was pregnant with Angela, So he got two women pregnant at the same time.
Speaker 2: Actually, oh my, see, okay, I don't really take ladies man as necessarily derogatory, but in this case it really is.
Speaker 1: Like, well I don't think it's derogatory either. It's you're able to like swoon someone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but in this case, like he's also a complete asshole.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, being a ladies man is not bad. He's a ladies man, but he's bad.
Speaker 2: Okay, Like it almost seems like he needed a worse, worse name to me than lady's man. I guess, well that's.
Speaker 1: That's why I said, Like, despite his dangerous demeanor, he's also a ladies man.
Speaker 2: Okay, I see, I get it.
Speaker 1: And then on tough of being a ladies man, he's also sleeping around and just like taking advantage of the fact of being able to swoon the ladies, you know. So so yeah, he had two women pregnant at the same time, and one of them was Nancy during her pregnant ship pregnancy pregnant ship, pregnancy ship, I don't know, pregnancy with Angela. But outside of all this, the most troubling part of him was his violent and abusive nature. Jerry often subjected Nancy to relentless physical abuse, leaving her bruised and battered. Even during her pregnancies, Nancy endured his violent outbursts, often showing visible signs of the assault. So, yeah, you have a pregnant lady being beaten man. Now. While those around her suspected or even knew about this abuse, fear of Jerry's retaliation kept them from stepping up or really saying anything. His reputation for his aggression made him pretty much untouchable in the eyes of the community surrounding him. Now, when Angela was five years old, so fast forwarding a little bit, Nancy, Nancy finally found the strength to get out and escape this toxic and abusive relationship. After years of enduring daily beatings, an emotional torment. She filed for divorce, and she left Jerry, taking her five children with her. Among them, three were Jerry's biological children, okay, well, other two were from an earlier relationship. I'm not certain if that's the exact number of children that lived in the household, because Jerry could have had children as well. All I know is that's how many Nancy had with him, ends carried with her.
Speaker 2: I'll see. And she's like pretty young.
Speaker 1: Too, hey, she is, yes, definitely, like.
Speaker 2: Probably mid twenties max to have five kids.
Speaker 1: Well, she was only she was eighteen when she birthed Angela, and Angela is now five years old, so eighteen plus five. There you go, that's old she is, right.
Speaker 2: Wow, twenty three and five kiddos.
Speaker 1: Yep, thank you for doing that math, because I didn't want to do it and get it wrong, so I was just gonna leave it at that.
Speaker 2: I know, I kind of saw that you avoided that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean I could have done it, but I would have been like, okay, like you know what I mean, I would have taken a second. So anyways, the separation marked the end of Nancy's ordeal with Jerry. Now Nancy unfortunately wouldn't get rid of him that easy, though. He was enraged when Nancy began moving on with her life and leaving him behind, and the idea of her going on dates and finding happiness outside of his control was intolerable to him. So, true to his manipulative and positive nature, Jerry began stalking Nancy, intimidating her at every opportunity in an attempt to reassert his dominance over her life. And then one fateful evening, Nancy went out on a date and she never returned home. Soon her lifeless body was subsequently found near the edge of a river, the victim of a brutal and frenzied stabbing. She had been a nearly thirty times in an attack, and the police described it as fueled by an intense rage. The sheer violence of this crime shocked everyone that knew her now. Suspicion, of course, immediately fell on Jerry, given his history of abuse and controlling behavior, and all of this right, he had every single motive, jealousy, anger, desire to prevent Nancy from going on her life, whatever it was. The list is long, it's there, and compounding the suspicions, Jerry reportedly even confessed to a friend that he was the one who killed Nancy. Even his own mother was convinced of his guilt, so much so that she actually went to the police to report her suspicions of him being the one to kill Nancy.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, just like the little bit that I know, it almost kind of already seems like a no brainer.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean yeah, and in cases you generally go for what the spouse, immediately immediate family, right, and then you have a douchebag like this, it just amplifies that.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and like thirty times being stacked, you know, it really makes sense that it would be him, which is so fucking.
Speaker 1: Bullshit, I know. But however, in California at the time, in the nineteen seventies, this was, as we all know, like the golden age of serial killers. And I say golden age like with quotations. Don't get me wrong, it's not like an amazing golden thing. No, it's like that was just the era. It's like that's when they're most prolific. So law enforcement took a different perspective on the situation, with notorious figures like the Zodiac Killer and Ted Bundy active during this period, police speculated that Nancy might have been a victim of one of these roaming killers rather than her abusive ex husband. So they're like, ah, we're thinking this might be a case link to one of these bigger serial killer crimes that's going on right now. So the case, unfortunately, was never conclusively solved and Jerry was never charged with her murder, and to this day, Nancy's death remains an open case with no resolution.
Speaker 2: Really, yes, oh my gosh, Okay, well, I'm just gonna say it was him, and like most likely what a complete asshole, just like he had three children with her, and I mean like he had an issue with her, but now he's like taken their mom away.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And those other killers they didn't necessarily have. I don't know, I'd have to like reverse myself on them. But would they was there em a like stabbing someone repeatedly like.
Speaker 1: That again, I'd, like you said, I'd have to verse myself on them again exactly. But I know, like Ted Bundy, I don't think he did well. I mean, the individuals were closer to Ted Bundy because he would would swoon them as well. He would's man right, right, so he would lure the women in and I just don't think it falls I mean, I'm sure it could fall on I guess some serial killers, but I don't think it falls under either of those ones specifically. But I mean, at the time, who knows, right.
Speaker 2: It just really does seem like though it would be someone that was close to her, you know.
Speaker 1: Knew her, knew her. It was a personal attack. The police knew that. They said, it seemed like it was a rage filled attack, right.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Okay? And they just maybe he had something on the police or not something on them, but like they were afraid of him too, ye, or he was working with them or something, who knows.
Speaker 1: Who knows now. The loss of her mother was devastating to Angela. The bond between the two of them had been strong, and Nancy's murder left a void in Angela's life, and one that she struggled to fill. Tragically, her life would only grow harder in the wake of her mom's death. With Nancy gone, custody of Angela and her siblings fell to Jerry, the man that's, of course, most likely the murderer of their mother. Jerry now held full control over these children's lives, and without Nancy, as a buffer, his abusive tendencies became even more pronounced onto them. His rage, once directed at his wife, was now just to the children. Not long after Nancy's death, Jerry began a relationship with a woman named Rebecca, who had children of her own. Together, they created a chaotic and deeply dysfunctional household, with eight children crammed into a small, two bedroom home. As is often the case in abuse of households, favoritism ran rampant. Rebecca's children were treated well, receiving gifts on holidays and birthdays. Meanwhile, Nancy's children were ignored, neglected, and forbidden from even speaking about their late mother. It was as though Nancy had been erased from existence. The contrast and treatment only deep in the wound for Angela and her siblings, who were already grappling with the loss. Jerry's abusive behavior extended to Rebecca as well, mirroring the violence that inflicted on Nancy. Once upon a time, he beat Rebecca regularly, often in full view of the children. In one particular horrible incident, Jerry reportedly drug Rebecca into the garage, tied her down to a table, and doused her in gasoline. Stood back and lit a match. Why yeah, yeah, I don't Oh.
Speaker 2: This sounds just like hell, like just like complete hell, literally what it is?
Speaker 1: Yeah. One of the children thankfully shouted out for him to stop, whether it was a presence and witness of the children or whatever it was. But Jerry ultimately didn't drop that match. But the message was clear, you don't defy Jerry.
Speaker 2: Oh Man. That is terrifying, isn't it? Just yeah, to say the least. Holy shit.
Speaker 1: So the children too bore the brute of Jerry's abuse. He imposed strict, strict and arbitrary rules, such as forbidding, laughter, or conversation. Yeah. Any deviation from these rules was met with severe punishment. Jerry used his children a scapegoats for his frustrations, blaming them for stress in his life, lashing out with vicious beatings whenever he seemed to feel like it. Angela was rough childhood. Didn't just stop with physical abuse or strict household rules, though she and her siblings were often starved as well, left with barely anything to eat or even enough food to survive, and for whatever reason, Angela seemed to be frequent target for her father. Now, there was one story where one of Angela's siblings stole a carrot out of the fridge, and Jerry went on to beat that kid and threw the carrot in the garbage rather than letting them.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, holy shit, Ben, this is too much. And you know something too, I've been thinking about is the whole favorite favoritism thing. He was probably horrible to because two of those kids, like weren't even his, right, correct, they were just Nancy's.
Speaker 1: But I mean, honestly, like, Angela was the biggest target for them all and she that.
Speaker 2: Was his kid, hiss, like his first with Nancy, right, the oldest.
Speaker 1: I think, No, she was the youngest.
Speaker 2: Oh she's the youngest. Oh my goodness, this is horrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So all the kids suffered, but Angela was particularly harsh. When she got her punishments, it kind of seemed to rain down harder on her. She was often kept apart from other siblings, enduring punishments and neglect that left her even more isolated. And it's no exaggeration to say that her childhood was one of the worst you could imagine, and sadly, like so many others in this situation, her traumatic upbringing shaped who she would become. And instead of breaking the cycle of abuse, Angela eventually became just as bad as Jerry, and perhaps even worse than him.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, this case is already breaking my fucking heart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that is. I can I can feel it. And that's now you get why it took me so long to research this. Not only is there a lot of information on it, but it is a rough one. So by the time she was sixteen, Angela had had enough of her life. She dropped out of high school, left home, and she ran away. And that's when she got involved with a carnival worker, traveling from place to place and living a transient lifestyle. But instead of a fresh start, Angela was introduced to hard drugs. It didn't take long for her to get hooked, setting her life in a downward spiral. When she turned twenty, Angela did move back to her hometown in Sacramento, looking for stability or maybe just a new start, who knows, but that's where she met Anthony Maples. The two hit it off fast, but their connection wasn't exactly healthy. Their bond was built on a shared love of drugs, and their lives revolved around getting high jobs, responsibilities, and a future weren't on the radar for them whatsoever. It was just.
Speaker 2: Drugs and how to get more in the next fix and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, despite their chaotic lives, Angela and Anthony quickly became parents. They had their first son, Anthony Junior, then another Braden, and by nineteen ninety six, Angela was twenty six years old and had a baby girl named Jeanette. Now Jeannette is, of course the real center of this story, so having kids didn't change much for Angela. She was still addicted to drugs and her focus stayed on getting her next high. Her three kids were neglected. They were often hungry, unwashed, dirty and living in filthy conditions, and Angela's behavior was a mirror of her own childhood, with her kids now and during the same kind of neglect that she grew up in. Eventually, Angela and Anthony their lifestyle did catch up with them a bit, as both were arrested on drug charges, landing them both behind bars in jail. The children, already living in a nightmare were now kind of left in limbo. This arrest might have been a chance for Angela to turn things around, but it didn't end the cycle of neglect. If anything, It was just the beginning of even darker times for her and her family. So after this arrest, authority stepped into place in place and took these kids out of this limbo situation where they didn't know what to do with them because they were looking at foster care at first, But they didn't end up going to foster care, not directly anyways. Instead, they were placed with the nearest family member.
Speaker 2: Holy shit. Okay, right before you said that, I was like, no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately that family member was none under, none other than Angela's father, Jerry. Oh god, Yeah, the same abusive man that tormented Angela throughout her childhood and suspecting of killing her mother, That same Jerry, now Jerry. Ever, the opportunists took the children in, starting to collect the welfare payments on their behalf. Thankfully though, as far as records indicate, Jerry didn't abuse his grandkids, not at least the way that he did his own kids anyways, But his motives were it seemed to be purely financial, and it didn't take long before he kind of grew tired of the responsibility. And about a year after Angela was released from prison, and now she began to try and regain custody of her children. Jerry didn't really want to deal with Angela, and at this point was kind of tired of having all these fucking kids in his life, and he decided to hand them over to foster care. So they did go to foster care, but there was about a year period where they were living with Jerry. Okay, now, this decision finally gave the children a chance to experience a more stable and caring environment. I'm not saying foster care is a perfect system, and I'm not saying everyone gets the best care in foster care, but these kids were certainly getting it better.
Speaker 2: Well there, let's just say their bar was set real low. Yeah right, it was what they expected.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no. So Jeannette, Anthony Junior, and Brandon were now living with foster families who provided them with structure and attention that they desperately needed. Angela wasn't ready to give up on our kids, though. Over the next four years, she fought, and she fought hard to regain custody, regularly visiting them in their foster homes. And during this time, Jeannette, who had been between the ages of two and six, had weekly supervised visits with her mother. Since she was so young, she didn't really remember the neglect or the chaos from earlier years. To her, Angela was just the woman who showed up for visits, which made it easier for her to form an attachment to the person who she knows as her mother. In two thousand and one, when Angela was thirty two, the courts finally granted her custody of her children. Now, this moment should have been a happy reunion, but instead it was heartbreaking because before the final decision, the court asked all three kids how they felt about returning to their mother. Both Anthony Junior and Braden old enough to remember what the life was before the foster care living with their mother. They wrote letters to the judge pleading to stay in foster care. Yeah, they did not want to return into her care. They pleaded to stay in foster care, and the.
Speaker 2: Judge didn't listen. Hey, well there's more, there's way more to it.
Speaker 1: But damn, the judge granted them their request. Oh, the judge did grant them their.
Speaker 2: Request, Okay, to stay in foster care.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: But then Jeanette, however, didn't have those same memories. All she knew was her mother visiting her every week those past few years, looking forward to her mom coming and seeing her. So when she was asked if she wanted to go back with Angela, she said yes, believing your mother could provide love and care that she longed for.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't even know what to say. This is just destroying me.
Speaker 1: Understandably. I feel you that I wasn't gonna have a beer on this episode. But there is a damn good reason why I cracked this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's happening. And thanks for warning me about this shit. You didn't give me any warning. Here, I'm drinking fucking water.
Speaker 1: There's a fridge right down here. Do you want Do you want something? No, you're good, I'll I'll live all right. Yeah, No, this is rough, And yeah, we're I mean, we are just getting into Jeanette's story. Really, we've covered Angela a little bit and now we're we're talking about Jeanette. So, at just six years old, after spending over five years in foster carre, Jeanette was sent back to live with her mother. It was a decision that would ultimately set the stage for the horrors of the years to come, because not long after Jeanette returned to her mother's custody, her family actually grew larger. A year later, Angela had another daughter, a daughter named Patience, and was fathered by an unknown man. But that wasn't the end of the new siblings. Angela soon started a relationship with long haul trucker named Richer mcaul. I have already the name. I told you, I tried and got it right. So hold on, hold on, micinalty, there we go, okay, Richard mcinalty. So, Richard wasn't home much due to his job, and when he was, he didn't really seem to take much interest in the in the dynamics of the household per se. But he was described as simple and rather unintelligent, and he just kind of handed over his earnings to Angela without any question. Some people are sitting here like that sounds like a good man, but not saying he wasn't. But we'll get into him a little bit too. Eventually the two would marry and have the children of their own or sorry, h child of their own, Richard Junior. So by this point the family consisted of Angela, Richard, and four children, Jeanette, Patients and Thenny Junior and Richard Junior. There's a lot of kids in this story.
Speaker 2: Okay, but sorry, and the two that are no longer even living with them?
Speaker 1: Right, yes, those are another two of Angela's kids.
Speaker 2: Ok but then she.
Speaker 1: Also has another two kids, right because she had five in total with another relationship. Like, there's there's kids spread out through all these relationships.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've already lost track if I'm being honest.
Speaker 1: Honestly, keep track of Jeanette. That's all you really need.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: On the surface, things seemed to settle down for a while, but that calm wouldn't last. In two thousand and five, the family moved from Sacramento to Eugene, Oregon, and it was there that the situation took a sharp turn for the worst. Angela's treatment of Jeanette began to deteriorate rapidly for reasons that were never really entirely clear. Angela started to single Jeanette out amongst your children. The punishment started small, with things like being sent to her room, but they quickly escalated. Soon Jeanette was being locked in a room for extended periods of time, and Angela even installed a lock on the outside of her door to keep her confined. By two thousand and six, Jeanette was attending Cas Skayed Middle School, starting in the middle of her sixth grade year. School wasn't easy for her. She faced bullying from other classmates who made fun of her for her old and dirty, tattered clothes that she was sent to school in by Angela. But despite this, Jeannette found some solace in going to school became a refuge from her home life, a place where she could escape, even briefly, from the worst abuse that was happening at home. Though Jeannette was quiet and reserved, she managed to make a few friends. She also developed a deep love for writing and for poetry, pouring her thoughts and feelings into her work. The school library became her sanctuary, and she spent much of her time focusing on her studies and diving into books. She took her education seriously, using it as a way to cope with her difficult home life. Even as her home life grew darker. Jeanette's resilience shone through her passion for learning and creativity, but unfortunately, her time at school and her love for reading couldn't shield her from what I waited at home. By the time Jeanette reached middle school, the abuse at home had escalated to a horrifying level. It wasn't just the isolation of being locked in her room anymore. Angela's punishments had become physical. Jeanette endured regular beatings, much like Angela had suffered during her very own childhood. The cycle of trauma was now being inflicted on her daughter. Jeannette tried to keep the abuse hidden, terrified that you know, the it's going to be revealed or make things worse or something like that. If someone figures this out, you know, when speaks about it outloud, she's going to go home and her mom's going to beat her more.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, especially going to school and stuff like you think, you know it, depending where they were hurting her and stuff like, it would probably show. Well.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing they did show. For example, like there was bruises on her legs and abdomen, and it was hard to conceal because things like changing in clothes in gym class, right, Yeah, friends and people did notice these marks, and Jeanette would just rush off their concerns, claiming she had fallen or some other accident or.
Speaker 2: Excuse the poor thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she at this age, being so young, became very skilled at masking this pain and pretending like it was nothing. Now, after school, her demeanor would change. Classmates would later recall how Jeannette would become visibly anxious and withdrawn at the end of the day with the ringing of the bell was sending everyone home. It was almost a dreadful moment for her.
Speaker 2: Oh, holy shit, our poor little heart's just breaking for her.
Speaker 1: I know, I can't imagine. Many people in Jeannette's life did try to help her. Grandmother Lynn mcinnulty saw the children occasionally and became deeply concerned with what she noticed. Lynn made two separate reports, at least two separate reports, pleading for them to investigate and intervene. A parent of one of Jeanette's friends also contacted Child Protectives Services or CPS, I'll refer to it from here on out. So after their child told them about Jeanette's bruises and suspected abuse, teachers at the school joined the efforts, reporting their suspicions to the Department of Human Services or DHS. After learning from Jeanette's friends in seventh grade, that her mother was abusive, and in two thousand and seven, the reports led to a visit from CPS. However, the investigation was brief and ultimately ineffective. Angela denied the accusation's outright, insisting that Jeannette was a habitual liar, She's just a liar, compulsive liar, and that any reports of abuse were we're baseless and false.
Speaker 2: Well, of course that, of course she's going to say that, though I know well with that.
Speaker 1: Though Child Perseective Services accepted her explanation and closed the case.
Speaker 2: That is a complete fail right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 1: Just give me a second, I'll finish this off, then we'll get into it. So Jeanette's visible bruises and the testimonies of others around her, and the consistent reports of mistreatment were all dismissed as quote second hand information. The failure of Child Protective Services left Jeanette trapped in the dangerous and worsening situation. So, okay, don't get me wrong. I'm sure that there's protocols for when things like this happen, and what social workers are supposed to do, and many of the things that they go through and have to endure I'm unaware of, Okay, so I want to clarify that. But this to me sounds like a lack of due diligence. I mean, when you're performing an investigation, aren't you supposed to actually investigate.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not like it was just like one case coming into or one what were you calling that, like complaint or whatever? Right, there was like numerous.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and so they just come in ask fucking ask fan's love, like, so you beaten your kid?
Speaker 2: No, no, she's lying, yeah, okay, like that's it. Well, and of course too, like the kid could be terrified, they might not admit to it, so of course everything's going to be like secondhand right necessarily, right, so they needed to come back a few times or oh man, that just seems But it also could be like just the system and stuff too, and where it's like maybe this person had too much on their plate, right, and they didn't have the time to like put the effort in that they needed and stuff, which is it's not good though.
Speaker 1: I will partially agree with you on that. I'm sure the system is broken and overloaded, but that individual was not doing their due diligence on the case that they were working well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the fact that it was so many complaints and stuff like it needed to be looked.
Speaker 1: At, right, Like, I don't care if you have one case or if you have a hundred cases. If you knock on the door and ask the alleged abuser are you abusing some one? And you take their no as a fact and walk away, you're not doing your job.
Speaker 2: There is no one that would ever just be like, yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Am right, Like, seriously, you're fucking kidding me. What are they gonna do? Say they do have a hundred different cases they're going to maybe they have one hundred cases they have to go to that day. Is that how they're going to treat every single fucking case? Then you're not You're you're not doing your job. You're not You're useless. Get the fuck out of here.
Speaker 2: There's no point to what you're doing there, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you need to investigate, you need to do your due diligence. You need to ask questions. Why why didn't they talk to her siblings? Why didn't they talk to to and to Jeanette. Maybe they should have talked to Richard. Maybe Richard would have said something. Did they talk to a neighbor, ask questions about the neighbor. Have you seen the kids playing out in the yard? Do you know the neighbor very well fucking talk to people?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Or did they talk to the like the grandma enough, you know that wasn't even Jeanette's grandma, well was, but like married and stuff? Right, So, like, how thoroughly did they investigate this? It doesn't sound like they did much at all?
Speaker 1: No, not really. They did a house visit and questioned Angela and that's.
Speaker 2: It and then signs healed, delivered, done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'm not even sure if they like in their house visit looked around the house. It could have been just like a knock at the door conversation.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, and like they needed to go in. There's probably the lock still in the fucking door and shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so where am I here? I lost? Okay, So, after Jeanette finished eighth grade, Angela made the devastating decision to pull Jeannette out of school, claiming that she would homeschooler instead. No, yeah, this wasn't about providing a better education. It was a calculated move to isolate Jeannette completely and prevent teachers and classmates from noticing any signs of abuse, which now I mean school was only was Jeanette's only escape up until now, right, so her refuge from this horror was gone.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised, like I honest seem to just surprised you that it's just carrying on so much, Like as she's getting older, I feel like she's probably learning to like almost be more and more invisible at home really, which is so sad to think. But yet everything is just getting worse for her there.
Speaker 1: Correct, Yeah, And I don't think that she can be invisible because I think it's things are specifically taken out on her, like she is sought out to be abused. Like, say, I don't this is completely speculation. I'm just making up a scenario on the spot here, so don't quote this for the story. This is just me throwing something out. But like say, Angela comes home with some fucking groceries and maybe there was a lot of people at the grocery store, and she's pissed off, so she just goes in the house, puts the groceries down, goes find Jeanette and beats the shit out of her to get out her frustrations. Like that sort of situation, you know, like you can't be invisible when someone seeks you.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, god, not.
Speaker 1: A clarify again, I made that up just for the sake of the conversation. So anyways, back to the actual story though. In October of two thousand and nine, Angela's stepmother, Lynn, so that's going to be the grandmother, right, managed to visit the home briefly once again and she saw Jeanette and was horrified. So Jeanette at the time, was being punished. She was standing up against the wall. I mean, many kids you know, time out right, No, it was against the wall or whatever. So that's kind of the situation. But Lynn was quite alarmed because it was a condition Jeanette was in. She seemed severely emaciated and her body was pretty much skin and bones at this point. Her lip was split wide open, and her frail frame showed every sign of prolonged starvation and her physical abuse. Angela once again started making the excuses that she always did. She claimed that Jeanette had just fallen and that's how she split her lip open, and she's standing up against the wall because she's she's just being punished for something that she did, right, now, like just shaking things off, right, Lynn left the house. She completely shook and immediately called Chold Protective Services again, begging them to intervene, and tragically, her pleas fell on deaf years once again. How the shit are they falling because you have people not doing their fucking jobs?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Yeah. What Lynn didn't know though at this time, was when she left the house that day, this would be the last time that she ever saw Jeanette.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I mean it's only this only time is gonna stop. Like, oh, I don't I can't even speak right now because this is just like fucking with me so bad.
Speaker 1: Well, you're not gonna like this because this is literally what I have written down here. Up until now, I haven't really dove into the things that Jeannette endured from her mother. So let me continue.
Speaker 2: Do we need to continue?
Speaker 1: Yes? Okay. I struggled a bit with myself and whether I should talk about them or not, but it came to the conclusion for Jeanette's sake, I would because I mean, ultimately, on our podcast, we like to tell the victim story, right, That's what we want to do, is we want to bring the victims story to light and if we can, in the same process, you know, take away any fear mongering from the perpetrators, which is why we crack jokes and we you know, make light of some of the situations and call them names or whatever. But we want to tell the victim's story. And I think if we were to not tell some of the things that Jeanette went through, I don't think we'd be doing any favors for Jeanette. I think we'd be doing favors for Angela. H So we are going to dive into some of the things that Jeanette endured.
Speaker 2: What's name again, Angela? Yes, okay, she is just a piece of shit, Yes she is. I'm sorry, but we're starting this conversation with that statement, and now we can continue onk.
Speaker 1: So, Angela's a piece of shit. And Jeanette's life was defined by isolation, starvation, and constant violence. As we know, she was forbidden from speaking to her own siblings and was treated as an outcast within her family. Angela took extreme measures to control Jeannette's access to food, locking the kitchen cupboards and providing her with far less to eat than anyone else in the house. Some days Jeanette wasn't even given any food at all. She was forced to sit there and watch her siblings eat dinner. What She was forced to sit and watch her siblings play video games or watch them watch TV, but she was not allowed to watch the TV. She was unable to join in at all.
Speaker 2: What the hell?
Speaker 1: Angela also deprived Jeannette of water. She removed taps from sinks and turned off mean water supplies and locked the bathroom doors. Jeannette had to ask permission, in fact, just to use the bathroom at all to relieve her and when Angela denied her, she was forced to soil herself and remain in the filth. At times, she was desperate for water, and Jeanette would resort to drinking from the dog's water bowl or even the toilet when she was granted access to the bathroom.
Speaker 2: She even gave the like the dog even had fucking water and shit, like what is going on here?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Angela inflicted humiliation on Jeanette as well as a twisted form of entertainment. She forced her to eat hot peppers. So you have someone who's starving here, eat this right, mm hmm. So both Angela and Jeannette know she's eating this, She's gonna suffer, but Jeanette's like, this is all I have to eat, so I have no other option.
Speaker 2: Oly shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Other punishments include making Jeannette kneel or stand in the corner while holding heavy objects above her head for hours. And you have someone who's seriously weak, who has barely anything on their bones, and they're being made to en or a physical activity for hours on end. It was relentless. The physical abuse Jeanett endured was even more horrifying than honestly anything I can think of. She was punched, slapped, scratched, kicked repeatedly. Her body was covered in bruises and cuts. She had lost teeth that were knocked out from several beatings. Angela frequently whipped Jeanette's bare back legs, butt with a belt, sticks, or other objects, leaving her with deep lacerations. Sometimes things would get infected or not healed properly, and she would cut the dead flesh off with scissors. And some of these wounds were so severe and so deep that one particular one exposed her hip bone on her side. The injuries made it difficult for Jeannette to move, let alone function normally, things still just escalated to levels of unimagined cruelty. Among the many horrific things Angela did, she regularly stomped on Jeannette's feet so hard that the girl could barely stand on both feet, often forced to balance on one foot due to the pain. In an act of profound humiliation and degradation, Angela would make her own children collect dog feces from the yard, which she would then smear on Jeanette's face and force into her mouth. These uh torments stripped Jeannette of her dignity, but any or sense of self worth as well. Oh boy, yeah, I'll let you soak that in for a minute now again. This is why I opened a drink today.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. This is just like I'm curious too if this is I mean, it sounds like it's even worse than how she was treated to us by Jerry. Hey.
Speaker 1: Yes, actually I believe so. Yes, don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure Angela was treated like absolute garbage too, but it seems like she stepped it up a little bit.
Speaker 2: Huh wow.
Speaker 1: So Jeanette spent most of her days locked in her room, isolated from the rest of the family, when Angela beat her, she would turn on the vacuum cleaner just to drowned out Jeannette's screams ensuring that no one outside would hear the horrors unfolding inside the house.
Speaker 2: But they probably still did, you think, like, I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Now, the relentless cycle of abuse did finally come to a head in December of two thousand and nine. At some point in the early early month, Jeannette suffered a devastating blow to the head. What or how it's unclear the exact circumstance of this injury or just left unknown, but it left her disoriented and unable to walk properly or stand. Her condition worsened, and on December ninth, two thousand and nine, Jeanette collapsed Unable to get up, She fell asleep on the floor, and when Angela tried to wake her, Jeannette was unresponsive. In panic, Jeanette and her husband, Richard, carried Jeannette to an ice cold bath, hoping to shock her awake, but the attempt failed. With no other options, Angela dialed nine one one.
Speaker 2: In a panic, like why would they even be in a panic?
Speaker 1: Because they accidentally killed her? They pushed her too.
Speaker 2: Far because they fucked up, I guess.
Speaker 1: Because someone's probably gonna find out now.
Speaker 2: Put them in an ice bath, like oh.
Speaker 1: My god, literally trying to shock them awake. If that's going to wake them up, that will literally probably put them into shock, which is yeah, anaphylactic shock is nothing to fuck with. So when paramedics arrived Angela's Angela just played dumb. Basically, to put it in the plaints of sentence, she claimed that she had no idea what happened. That just Jeanette just kind of collapsed. Yeah, she cried and was begging them for them to save her daughter. Like literally, when they're pulling up, she's out in the driveway like screaming and crying.
Speaker 2: You can't hide that, though, no, Like you just can't.
Speaker 1: No, there's no way. She's basically putting on a show of desperation. But her performance, like you say, couldn't hide the truth. It was written all over Jeanette's body. Paramedics foun Jeannette lying on her back in a dimly lit living room, topless and unresponsive. Her body was covered in deep cuts, bruises, and scars, evidence of the prolonged torture that she had endured. Her emanciated frame was so skeletal that her bones were visible beneath her skin. She weighed fifty pounds at fifteen years old.
Speaker 2: Shit fifty like five zero five zero.
Speaker 1: She's fifteen one to five and weighed fifty five zero pounds. It was immediately clear to the paramedics that Angela's story didn't add up, but their focus had to remain on Jeanette. She was showing no signs of life, so they tried to work quickly and desperately to revive her, performing CPR and inserting a breathing tube just to try and get oxygen into her lungs. But despite their efforts, Jeanette was pronounced dead shortly after arriving to the hospital. Jeanette Maples died at just fifteen years old, but her short life defined the unimaginable suffering at the hands of a person who is supposed to protect her. Her death left paramedics, medical staff, and investigators absolutely shaken, not only by the severity of her injuries, but also by the systemic failures that allowed the abuse to continue unchecked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I mean, there would be so many people that would just be seeing her body, right, yep, I can even imagine now.
Speaker 1: Jeanette's official cause of death was it's kind of unknown. They don't really know. The medical report listed multiple causes as it was impossible really to pinpoint a single factor, right, But it was officially attributed to quote, bleeding on the brain, septic show, dehydration, and starvation. So we have multiple things that could have been, but which one we don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it's just survi. It's surprising to even like imagine someone weighing that little and like even being able to function.
Speaker 1: Hey, I don't know how she could. Yeah, I really don't know how she could, honestly, Like you're you're what's the average weight of an American fifteen year old? Or I won't even do that. I'll just go average weight of a fifteen year old. I'll see what Google says.
Speaker 2: Female though, too. Yeah, I bet youd have. Like I'm just trying to think it's I bet you it has to be over one hundred pounds, hundred pounds, one hundred and twenty pounds. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Let me see the average weight of fifteen year old. Okay, well, AI is in Google is popping up with an American even though I didn't put that in, but the average weight of a fifteen year old American girl is one hundred and thirty seven point five pounds. Of course, it depends on their frame, their height and all that. So you are I would say, yeah, over one hundred pounds. Let's just say one hundred and twenty five just to be safe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, was that so she was more than like half yeah? Under gosh, yeah, I can't imagine. That is just so unhealthy.
Speaker 1: So, after Jeanette's death, Angela and Richard mcinalty agreed to accompany officers to the station for questioning. Before leaving the hospital, the couple made up a little plan. Angela convinced Richard to take the blame for Jeannette's death. She believed that because of Richard's heart condition, which he had recently been diagnosed with, that the court should be more lenient on him, and she convinced him to take the blame for that.
Speaker 2: Seriously.
Speaker 1: Yeah. However, Richard eventually broke under the pressure of questioning. He confessed to everything to the police, exposing the extent of Angela's abuse and his role as a implicit bystander as far as we are aware Richard never laid a finger on Jeannette, but.
Speaker 2: He did allow it to happen.
Speaker 1: But he did allow it to happen. So yeah, he's not as bad as Angela, but he's still fucking badh So, on December sixteenth, two thousand and nine, Angela and Richard were both charged officially with aggravated murder. Meanwhile, Jeanette's two half siblings, Patience and Richard Junior, were removed from the home and placed into protected custody. As police investigated the mcinnlty home, they are met with scenes straight out of a nightmare. And when I say they are met with scenes straight out of a nightmare, I am literally quoting the investigators who walked in through that door. Jeanette so called room was revealed to be a space of unimaginable suffering. Her bed was nothing more than a thin sheet of cardboard, which was soaked with dry blood, urine, and feces beneath the carpet. Because it was ripped up, Jeanette's blood had seeped through the cardboard, threw the carpet and into the subfloor, staining the wood. The room was later dubbed quote the torture room by investigators.
Speaker 2: And like that was probably all that was mostly in there. She probably had no like personal items or anything, right, correct, Like that is just not what a fifteen year old's room, she'd.
Speaker 1: Look, That's not what anyone's room should now. Along the walls of this quote torture room, which was her room, blood and human tissue were found splattered on the walls, providing chilling evidence of the beatings that took place within. Among items recovered from the home, where a broken wooden ruler covered in blood believed to be Angela's preferred weapon, two belts that were stiff with dried blood, and jagged tree branches that were also stained red with Jeanette's blood. It was a horrifying scene that reflected everything that Jeannette went through. Angela's try trial revealed the full extent of the brutality, but her defense lawyer made an appalling argument, I don't know how anyone could defend this or even fucking say this money, I don't give a shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean that can be the only reason.
Speaker 1: I don't care. There's that's not an excuse.
Speaker 2: No it isn't.
Speaker 1: But but the defense lawyer's excuse was that Angela wasn't a danger to society and didn't intend to kill her daughter, and and would herself be a victim if sent to prison. Good, yeah, I he's saying, Angela is the fucking victim if she goes to jail. Are you fucking kidding? Like, what kind of piece of shit is this lawyer that is?
Speaker 2: That's I mean, well, he had to come up with something, right, I guess I couldn't.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't take that case. No, just fucking no.
Speaker 2: Well, I think someone has to, though they were we have to assign someone to her, right, which never really said. But you're right, you're you're entitled to it, right, You're right, he didn't even want it, and you just had to be creative with some bullshit shit even if you don't want it, and you have to do it, you're assigned and you have to be creative because you're totally right that that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Someone has to do it otherwise, you know, they can never get fully convicted, So someone has to be up there to defender. Okay, great, Angela didn't intend to kill her daughter. Sure, let's just say that.
Speaker 2: Leave it at that.
Speaker 1: Leave it at that. Angela didn't intend to kill her daughter.
Speaker 2: Which maybe Sehn didn't. She probably didn't. She herself survived all this shit that she went through, so she was thinking it would just be the same for her own daughter. Maybe she took it far too far.
Speaker 1: Still doesn't mean it's okay, no for her or this fucking piece of shit lawyer.
Speaker 2: No, everyone in this case is a piece of shit except Jeanette.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, fucking bad as how, she didn't do it all that.
Speaker 2: There's so many people in here that are just like just pissy off.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, it would be February one, twenty eleven, when Angela would plead guilty to aggravated murder, and by February twenty fourth, the twenty eleven she was sentenced to death for the torture and murder of her daughter, Jeanette.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: She became the only woman in Oregon to be sentenced to death since the state reinstated capital punishments in nineteen eighty four. However, Angela's sentence was reevaluated in August of twenty and twenty and she was re sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of paroles, so she is no longer on death roll. Richard McNulty, while not directly involved with physical abuse as I mentioned, was charged for his inaction and complicit actions in not letting this continuing to let this occur, and on April of twenty four or sorry April twenty fourth, the twenty eleven, he was sentenced to life in Prith prison and with the possibility of parole after twenty five years. His failure to protect Jeanette, combined with his willingness to turn a blind eye, sealed his fate.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, no, he definitely deserves something, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, Jeannette's story is one of incredible suffering, systemic failure, and a haunting reminder of the importance of vigilance in protecting children. Despite multiple warnings from concerned individuals, the system failed her time and time again, leaving her to endure years of unspeakable abuse. Well, Angela and Richard were ultimately brought to justice, it was just too late for Jeanette. Her tragic death continues to serve as a stark reminder for accountability and reform and child welfare systems.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm sure that it, you know, at least made a difference in It's probably saved people's life.
Speaker 1: I'm sure, sure it has. But it's such a tragic story. And don't get me wrong, like it's tragic what Angela went through as well, because we have we have two tragic stories. Honestly, here we have Angela's story of what she endured, but then she just she perpetuated it and she turned into someone worse than her father potentially well, I mean, honestly, devil devil's advocate. Here, let's say Jerry did commit that murder. Now we have Angela who did commit the murder. She is her fucking father.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know it almost, I know, like it's it almost makes it worse though for me right now, because she would know, she's exactly how that feels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: Oh, this case is just so disgusting. It's just terrible.
Speaker 1: And that's a story of Jeannette Sorr. I already closed my laptop with Maple's there.
Speaker 2: Maples, Maples, Maples. It makes you just want to like turn the lights off, really and just like saw sob Yeah, completely, I know it's horrifying. Oh yeah, so yeah, hopefully you guys are going to be able to sleep tonight.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I will be I spent several days researching this case. And thank you to Scarlet for putting that on us. I'm calling you out right now.
Speaker 2: Gosh, don't be mean to Scarlet, but that is like so brutal. But like, honestly, Jeannette's story does need to be out there, and it's something that like people in I don't know, power, like in that kind of power that can help this, Like they need to change.
Speaker 1: Things like social workers or someone like in job detective services or authority figures. Yeah, do your due diligence, do your job, because if you don't, this is what can happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So it's like I don't know, it's if the only light is that it I'm sure it saved other kids. Yeah, right, And I think Jeanette would be the type of person that you know would be happy about that.
Speaker 1: I agree. So now I do want to clarify. I don't have anything against social workers. I don't have any anything against individuals in child protective service or any of these situations. I have an issue with people who don't do their due diligence. I understand people are human. I understand people make mistakes. I understand people might not see everything and you know, be unaware. But you cannot sit here and tell me that the child Protective Service person who knocked on that door and took Angela's word for it that she wasn't abusing Jeanette and walked away and closed the case did their fucking job. Yeah, I'm sorry that person. Yeah, piece of shit.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm I feel like it had to have been looked into, right, And so I'm wondering if some people that didn't do their due diligence got in some big trouble there, probably yeah, like they needed to have. Yeah, so yikes.
Speaker 1: Anyways, that is the story of Jeanette. Hopefully you guys. I don't want to say enjoy. It's always weird at the end when I'm like, hopefully enjoyed this story. It's hard to enjoy these stories. But at the same time, we are true crime fanatics, and I there is that hey enjoyed the story. You know what I'm saying. It's weird, but hopefully you guys enjoyed the story. Don't forget to follow our social links. All in the description of this podcast, we have Patreon, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, all that good stuff. It's down there. Please give us a review if you'd like, means the world. We are an indie podcast, produced, researched all that by myself and Cole. It's us doing everything, No big corporation above us. It's us, US and the dogs, us in the doges, our moral support dogs. Yeah. And the chickens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the chickens and the chickens.
Speaker 1: All right, thanks for being here and sorry that we're late on this episode getting it out today, but I think it was worth the wait and worth putting in the extra research to ensure I did Jeanette story.
Speaker 2: Just oh yeah, absolutely so. Until next episode, stay Wicked,