Speaker 1: We are eleven days away from Utah football. It's game week for week zero, so college football is here for all intents and purposes. Our next guest one of the best to ever do it at the University of you. It's a longtime NFL VET as well, good friend of the show. You can hear them on our station and our sister station on a Tuesday afternoon. It is the great Scott Mitchell Scott Happy Tuesday, A mant how we doing, Oh, I'm doing wonderful.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Ben's It's going to be on.
Speaker 1: I appreciate the time. So take us behind the curtains. Eleven days out? What's going on? Are we UCLA specific?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: What's kind of the tone and tenor of the bi rhythms of a college football team?
Speaker 3: Eleven days away from kicking off?
Speaker 2: I actually think this is one of the hardest times of the entire season because you've been in this camp mode and there's a rhythm to it, and everyone's involved in it, all the backups, all the guys fighting for a spot, you know, to play, to be on a travel squad or whatever it is, and then all of a sudden, there's just a day boom and it stops and it's probably right now. You know, you look at the declaration. All these colleges are naming them their starters. You know, b why you named their starter. You know, Michigan, Notre Dame. They're all naming their starters. So they're they're going into their regular season mode. But it's still, like you said, eleven days out and they've probably been in that mode for they'll probably be in it for like two weeks. And the biggest challenge and why it's so hard, is the guys that have now got practice reps and played a lot in the scrimmages, their time is over. Like they don't get reps anymore. The ones get most of the reps, the majority of the reps. You know, the twos get some, but it's it's mostly the starters that get all the reps. Now, now you might get reps on the look team or whatever, but those aren't reps. Those are just you know, you're taking one for the team because you're you're not really practicing your offense or defense. When you do that, you're giving a look of a different team. And the challenge for the guys that are starting now is you can almost do too much you can almost have too much preparation. You can almost like like you get kind of stagnant because you've just practiced. You can almost get into bad habits sometimes. And you can tell typically when a team starts the season if they've been like that, because they usually start out flat or weird or not in a really good rhythm. And so much of it, I believe is that they've just practiced almost too much. And so it's a funny time. It's a fine line between being prepared, being over prepared, getting stagnant, getting into bad habits, and then the guys that aren't playing, they kind of have to get over sulking and hey, I lost the competition and I now have to take a back seat. And it's just a really odd time of the year.
Speaker 3: So we did get some news earlier today.
Speaker 1: I don't know that it's all that surprising, but Bird Ficklin was receiving a lot of praise from the coaching staff in this battle to back up Devin and knock on Wood. We all want Devin healthy all year long, but in the event that Devin has to miss a little time, it will be Isaac Wilson, who is Devn's backup that is official now, and Isaac received playing time in nine games last year. He started seven of them overall, And I suppose Scott one way to look at it is the blessing in disguise of Cameron's in ability to stay healthy. Is now Utah has a backup quarterback with legitimate Big twelve experience. So your thoughts on this dynamic, Isaac Wilsons, QB two up on the Hill?
Speaker 2: Look, I don't think, well, well, Utah fans are very concerned about the backup quarterback because they've lived with two years of it, and so most teams this isn't an issue. You don't really talk about it. Nobody really even cares unless you're the Cleveland Browns, and then you care about two fifth round draft choices as potential backers. But everyone else doesn't care. But Utah fans care because of what's happened the last couple of years. And they also care because the quarterback who's running the show is a runner, is a guy who will get out of the pocket, and there's that potential of taking shots. Now, he's a better run in that he knows how to protect himself better I think than Cam and even Tyler Huntley. But I think for Isaac, I think there's almost a maturing process. Because he took some bullets a year ago. You know, it could have been easy for him to leave. I think he kind of wanted to leave. I think he went out in the portal and realized there weren't really many opportunities out there that were better for him. I like that he's stuck around. I like that he's kind of fighting through things and competing. I think there's a level of maturity you get from that. There's a level of grit that you get that you need, you know, in tough games, when you when you come into play. And I have to hope and believe that when he does get an opportunity again, he probably will at some point that he's you know, he's mad enough to run through a brick wall, and he's mad enough to say I'm gonna prove everybody wrong, and I want to do over and I want a second chance. I think this offense fits him a little better. I think it's a little bit more user friendly for him and his skill set. I think the reads are a little bit maybe kind of I don't want to say simple, but kind of right in front of you, it's it's not really hard to read per se, whereas Andy Ludwig's offense there was some nuance to it, and it's a little bit more challenging. And so I think he's more geared for this with maturity, and certainly, you know, I hope and expect that he'll play better if he gets the chance.
Speaker 3: So what gives you the most confidence?
Speaker 1: And we've discussed this at times, and I continue to be a little bit surprised that there are very few people at least that I've read or listened to that aren't bullish on what Devin can do as UTAs QB one under Center. And you know, I don't know if just being raised in the Northeast has made me a skeptic period of all this stuff and just life in general. But he is taking a step up in competitions of Scott and it will be a new experience for him. But it does seem like everyone's expecting big things. What Scott Mitchell expecting from Devin Dampier this year.
Speaker 2: Well, the question to me, the one question is just what you said, can you weak in and week out play against really good competition a year ago? Kyle Whittingham said, we were kind of surprised by the Big twelve. We were surprised at how physical it was, and they weren't they as a team weren't ready for it, and which is a little surprising coming from the Pac twelve. And so it's you can play two or three games against the Power five team if you're in a lesser division, but can you play twelve games? And can you show up every single week? And that that's really the question mark, that's the trend, that's the transition, and not just show up, but play well and play effect and playing well is making good decisions. And I think I think the thing that helps me go okay, I think he can do this is because he's a guy who is so elusive, and he's a guy that doesn't get sacked a lot. So when he's trying to figure out the competition, and maybe he's not quite up to speed, I don't know if he is or he isn't, but at least he has that in his back pocket that he can extend plays, make plays, and even if things break down because he doesn't know the read right or he just messes up, he can still make something good. Good happen, and not every quarterback can do that. I mean, Isaac Wilson couldn't do that a year ago. So I expect with the way this offensive line is that they have some really good running backs, there's a lot of I call it a patchwork of offensive production. You know, it's just going to come from a lot of different spots. It's not going to be one group that's dominant. They don't have a superstar anywhere, but they've got a lot of pretty good talent enough to put together. I think that what can be a fairly explosive offense, and if he just kind of stays within the framework of that youth, I'll be very productive. They don't have to score for thirty five to forty points. It's a game, you know, they score high twenties. If they get to thirty points a game, they're competing for a conference championship, and I think they can do that.
Speaker 1: So obviously, the offensive line has been the most talked about positional group. And it's funny, Scott, I was just doing a little prep for the show yesterday. Michael Mochafisi, who we never talk about, has started thirty three games for Utah on the offensive line. We talked about Spencer, we talked about Caleb, Jaron's captain, but you know, Michael, who's the guy that's never mentioned is thirty three starts Devin during his media availability earlier today set at times he has eight seconds in the pocket. And the benefit of practicing against a Utah defense is you're going to be ready to go against the majority of defenses in the Big Twelve. I mean, you know, projections are always a dangerous thing because it's conjecture.
Speaker 3: Nobody knows until we kick off.
Speaker 1: But Utah's defense, by all you know, metrics or people that cover the league is expected to be a top two or three defense in the league. I mean, obviously it benefits the quarterback greatly to have an offensive line like Utah does. But if somebody who played that position, how would you articulate just how comfortable that must be for Devin to have those guys up front? And what are your expectations for this old line that everybody continues to talk about.
Speaker 2: I'm always I'm not from the northeast of Spense, but I'm skeptical too, always because what I've learned through my experience is no season ever turns out the way you expect it. I mean, you look at Texas Tech, and they went and spent a grundle of money and they've already lost one of the key players they got in the running back the joiner from USC haven't even played a game. They put all this money into him and other players, and they get no benefit from that. And so the point is is that I'm really hopeful for this offensive line, and I mean they are good, and they do look good. And this team offensively, if you watched them like early in the spring, you watch them as spring went on, and by the end of spring, and then you watch them now and they've just gotten better and better and more comfortable with what's what's happening. Everyone has offensively, you know, you have to feel pretty good about it. It's there's nothing like experience. There's just nothing like it on, you know, anywhere. And if I'm a guy with that offensive line, I'm like, come on, guys, let's go. Because everything happens upfront. Everything, it's always it always. I don't care how great your skill players are, if you're not good upfront when I when I call these games, you know, for Utah, I spend a majority of my eyeball time on the line of scrimmage. I really I've really kind of helped myself to try to really look and see who is winning, who is winning that push, and who is who is getting beat, who isn't getting beat, and where, And I can tell very quickly how the game is going to go by by the way those guys look up front. So those offensive linemen are huge. I hope that the offensive line isn't one of those things that it doesn't turn out the way you expect. Ause we expect that line to be great, and I hope it is. Again, you've got to keep everyone healthy and they got to play up to that potential, and that's hard sometimes. So I'm very hopeful. It feels to me, Spence like the chemistry and just all the stars maybe are aligning in the right way. You've got this offensive line, You've got this dynamic quarterback, You've got some really good players in the running back room. They do have some talented wide receiver, they've got talent, They've added talent at the tight end position. It feels potentially like it could be a very very good and explosive football team. And that might be the way people don't think because nobody's necessarily picking Utah to win the conference. People like Utah watch out for Utah, but they're not definitive with saying if they did a year ago, Utah is the team to beat in the conference. But I think it's going to be a very good year up on the Hill.
Speaker 1: From a player's perspective, because you referenced the dynamic last year, we all expected them to win the league. And I'm not talking about local media, I'm talking about everybody nationwide. I mean, they were the consensus pick. They were the favorite in Vegas. Did everybody pick them to win the league? No, but most people did. And if they didn't pick him to win it, they picked him top two or three. That pressure is gone. From a player's perspective, do you like that to fly under the radar or do you want to roll into a stadium with that target on your back where everybody knows you're the team to beat.
Speaker 2: It certainly depends on your personality, you know. You think of guys like Deon sanders Man, he's stroked by people telling him how great he is, like he loves like he's in the limelight, and coach Whittingham wants to be a troll in a dark hole. He doesn't want anyone to talk to him. He wants to be such an underdog. He wants to be hated, you know, reviled, chip on your shoulder, nobody gives us respect kind of guy. And that's my top reason why I think's gonna have a good years. I think everyone's forgotten about this team. I really do. I think they're like, now you have to say, well, watch out for Utah because historically they've been good, you know, the last several years, and they've had a very stable coaching position. You know, situation, they're always very good defensively, you know, they get it together offensively. Watch out for this team. But I think coach Whittingham really likes the let's just be forgotten. For me, it's it's really it's really the personality of the team. There are teams that just they flourish when they're well thought of. They just do and and but there are some people that are like, I'm not comfortable, and like I think a guy like Michael Jordan flourished with I think he tried to create drama just to motivate himself. So he tried to be a good He's like, I don't want you to tell me how great I am. I want someone to disrespect me. I want someone to tell me I'm garbage. I'm you know. I used to play golf with Dan Marinos the same thing. It's like, if I if I got really competitive, like I'm gonna kick your trash today on the golf course, Dan Marino like like, watch out. But if I if I sat there said, oh man, you are you're piping the ball today, you are just like on fire. I had a better chance with with with Marino and and so it's just funny. It's just different personalities, different coaches, different styles. Like to be stroke and some people don't.
Speaker 1: What does what does a successful trip to the Rose Bull look like?
Speaker 2: For you?
Speaker 3: Scott?
Speaker 1: The Utes are a six point five point favorite as of now, and maybe that line changes over the next eleven days. Not a lot seems to be known about this UCLA team because it's a brand new squad, it's a brand new quarterback, it's a very young head coach. So on that plane coming home to Salt Lake, what feels like success to you?
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's a huge game for Utah from a psyche to get last year to get the last two years kind of out of their mindset. And I think if you can establish that and just go, Okay, we're back, we're we're where we've worked, where where we believe we are, and I think I think that game can go a long way to proving it because you're not really going to get that sense from cal Poly or Wyoming because those are teams that are just going to absolutely beat. But if you beat a team that's a good team, uh, you know, the quarterback is like one of the top quarterbacks in the in the country and he's new to the situation. You know, he's got to figure things out as well, and he's got a lot of personnelity or personnel people that he's got to get familiar with a new system and all that. But he's very talented, you know. So it's it's really important, I think for the whole entire year that Utah just gets some confidence. And it's a great way to do it because this isn't like, you know, you're not going to Ohio State against the third second ranked team in the country to start your you know, but you are going on the road with a quality opponent and one that's trying to to become relevant in the Big Ten. You know that, you know, it's really it could be really easy for UCLA to just kind of disappear, almost like Nebraska disappeared when it went into the Big Ten. And and so they're going to be fighting for relevance. But and I think it's also for for Devon damp Here to just go, Okay, I believe that I belonged here, but now I know I belong here. Does does Jason Beck's offense really work as it clicked? Because in my mind, this is a blowout win for Utah. It's an easy win, or it's just one of those clunky, awkward games, And a lot of me just feels like this is going to be a really solid statement almost type of game for Utah.
Speaker 3: Coming out of the box, ask Bill this yes yesterday. I want to kick the tires with you on it.
Speaker 1: According to CBS Sports, Utah is the third hardest schedule in the Big twelve.
Speaker 3: And that's that's conference schedule they do.
Speaker 1: But they do Scott get all three of the top twenty five teams on the schedule in Salt Lake, Texas Tech, Arizona State, and k State. But here's My question, what are you willing to say about where you think Utah is prior to their trip to BYU. It's the opener at UCLA, it's home against cal Poly, it's at Wyoming, and then they open up league play against Tech here in Salt Lake. Then they're at Morgantown, West Virginia, and then home against Arizona State. That's six game stretch. What are you willing to say about where you think Utah is prior to the BYU game?
Speaker 2: See, well, you know those those non conference they're going to win all of those. I like getting Texas Tech early on in the year because they may have talent, but I'm telling you it's going to take a while to figure things out. They did lose the running back. You know, if you you know Texas Tech would be a really good team by the end of the year. I think if you're going to play him, the best time is early, which I like, and it's at home, and it's the conference opener, and it's gonna be a it's gonna be a big game. Going to Morgantown, You're gonna have to travel somewhere. I think it's the same kind of situation. You know, it's easy. I think it's a team you can beat. Uh, they're going to be better. Rich Rod kind of has this thing going on there and he's good at it, and he's kind of returned home. But I like that. I think there's a buye before the Arizona State game. I think there's gonna be some massive excitement about Arizona State because they're the team that has the bullseye and and they beat Utah last year and that never sits well with Kyle Whittingham, and he's gonna he's gonna have a statement. So you're going to see just some really great effort. But you beat Texas Tech, you beat Arizona State at home, you're you're you're easily inside the top twenty five at that time. And now now the conversation is going to be about you know where you know, Utah might be the front runner in the conference at that point, and and that just makes the whole BYU game so exciting. That's why I love where the conference is now and that these two teams are in the same conference. They're going to start a true freshman at BYU and that's going to come with its challenges and quite Frankly, I'm excited about that because you know, there's just a lot of mistakes that happened with true freshmen. So I think Utah could be in probably the best position that it could be in at that point. I hear you about the third toughest schedule, but I like how it's laid out and there's nothing There's not a part of it that just is overly concerning maybe going to Baylor later in the year, but just how the bye weeks play out, where and when you play the tough teams I think is very favorable to Utah this year.
Speaker 1: Scott, thanks for the time, man, I always appreciate it. Be safe and we will get you back on again soon.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, look fortunate.
Speaker 1: Thanks all right, Scott Mitchell, former Utah quarterback, played in the NFL for a number of different years.
Speaker 3: I always appreciate his time.
Speaker 1: Eleven days out man, eleven days away from game day. On just a few days away from game day for college footballs. It is week zero and a big one in Dublin. Our guy Chris Camaraddie will be on site. Between k State and Iowa State. I want to let you know you can give the Dish pros a call it eight O one four to two four Dish to make the switch to Dish and also save a bunch of money on Internet solutions as well.