Speaker 1: It's nice with Dan ray On Delileos.
Speaker 2: D all right. A subject that we talk about a little bit, but most of us talk about it from not from an inside perspective, an inside point of view. A few weeks ago I had as a guest during the eight o'clock hour, my guests who were about to reintroduce to reintroduce you to Lewis Ferrante. He's a former member of the Gambino crime family. Spent several years in stir as we say, because he decided that he would not incriminate fellow Gambino family members. Probably a good decision, you know, a life decision. I would say, uh, Lewis to Ferranti is with us, lou Ferrente. By the way, Lewis, Uh, you're a stand up guy. How are you tonight?
Speaker 3: I'm good? Thank you, Dan. I appreciate introduction I did. That's right.
Speaker 2: You were a stand up guy. You know you're you're in the slammer. What years were you in? What years were you in?
Speaker 3: I got I got locked up. I was young. I was I did nothing but fine. From when I was thirteen by the time I was twenty five, I was facing the rest of my life in prison. I had three cases. I had an FBI case, a secret service case, and a state organized crime cask boss case and accumulation. It's you know, facing probably one hundred and sixty years with everything. So yeah, I said, I'm not squealing, I'm not ratting, it's not happening. And the pressure just continued, and I was, O.
Speaker 2: Were you How old were you when you by the way, you know, in terms of baseball, you'd call that someone like yourself a five tool player, So you were five tool games gigs? Are you? You had a lot of skill sets here?
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I did my ex Yeah. True. My expertise was at the time heis and hijackings. That's what I did. And I had a really really good crew and that's what we were known for, and you know we did it. We we operated within the Gambino family umbrella. But I worked with any family. I worked with everybody, Lukesey, Banano Colombo. If if somebody had a tip, I just had to put it on record with my own family. But anybody came to me.
Speaker 2: So what were what sort of trucks were you looking to hit? I mean you when you say you had it, kip, you were you were going at some fruit truck, I assume, But what were you looking for? Now?
Speaker 3: You're looking for money, any anything that's big money it could be. I mean I had everything from uh Brazil's yeah you know, I mean not even like Victoria's secrets, which we thought the truck was carrying. We ended up with these big cheap cone cup brazils when we hit the truck, you know, So there was things. Sometimes, you know, you got a truck coming out of the airport, you get the wrong one. But you look for something, you know, big as far as merchandise is concerned. Something you know, you figure you get ten twenty, maybe at best thirty cents on the dollar. Usually you don't get me you know, usually it's more towards ten or twenty. So you know, you need a load, you know, hopefully worth a million dollars. So you could at least have one hundred thousand if you got ten cents on it, Okay, and.
Speaker 2: So and so. Therefore you you would fence the property.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had fences, but also too we did uh. We were eventually charged with I don't want to say I was acquitted in the end of these charges, but we were also originally convicted of and charged with armored car robberies as well. And that's just straight money. So there's yeah, I would see to the load.
Speaker 2: If you get you know, a big you hit it truck down. Yeah, you know pictures of of uh you know, dead presidents.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. Yeah, there's one instance I could talk about because I was charged with it. We went to uh. We got to tip a guy originally came from New York and he joined the Navy. He got out of the Navy and he was down on his lock, got a job, a couple of bad jobs, and then eventually get landed a job with an army clock company and he told us, look, come down here, you could hit one of my trucks. You know the company I'm working for it was a big, big armored car company, well known throughout the country. So we did at Back then it was pre nine to eleven, so after nine to eleven, you know, you need proof. You have to prove where you are before you bought a plane. It's tsa, et cetera. Back then, though, we used to book fights with phony names. We would put guns, walkie talkies, span is in a in a box and just ship at ups, you know, to California, to an address and it would be there waiting for us when we got there. I don't know if you could do any of that stuff today, I can't imagine it. I can't even imagine booking a flight without having you know, identification and stuff. But back then you could. So we booked phony, you know, we booked flights under phony names. We sent all our weapons and the other accouterments for for you know, for for a heist down there, all the tools, and we got down there, and what happened was he said, at the last minute, you know, we went to dinner when we were going over to plan stuff, and at the last minute he got cold feet. He said, look, I'll give you another truck to hit. I really don't want it to be mine. I feel like they'll get me right after. They'll catch me, they'll know. And so at that point I needed to get another guy down there, because if we don't have the driver, you know, it's it's it's it presents. You know, you got difficulties if you're hitting guys that nobody's on the inside. It's easier if you're hitting somebody from outside.
Speaker 2: So what did you I mean, first, First of all, you've got to be a little bit upset with this guy who who invited you to do this deal and now he's backing out on you at the last minute.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at the time, you know, I'm obviously I'm a little formed man. Now, you know, the whole situation is horrible. But back then, yeah, I was. I was twisted. Yeah, I was heated. So we got we got a guy called New York. I said, look, I'll get another guy down yeah, cold New York. I asked another guy from micro get on a plane, hurry up, get down here. We got you know, we're down here already. We're going to go through with something. So he came down, he flew down. What happened was we didn't know this. He got down there, he was down there a couple of days, and we were going back to a hotel UH in San Francisco, and we got swarmed by FBI agents working, yeah, working in concert with the police. Helicopters, bulletproof vest, machine guns. You know, they just they took us in, righted you out. Yeah, that's what happened. So the guy who I called he was he was a roommate with somebody who was an FBI informant, and that guy he said, look, you know, Louis called and he's got something big for me out west. Uh, you know, drive me to the airport. And that guy did not know exactly what we were doing, but he took the FBI and looked. And now I could look back on it, Dan and say, by the grace of God, you know, it was stopped. Who knows what could have happened. So it's a good thing. But back then I was again I was you know, you know, we would you know anyway we went.
Speaker 2: How old were at that time, So I was.
Speaker 3: In my early twenties when I was knocking on I was. I was accused of knocking off one of the biggest heights in US history in my early twenties. And my crew were all in their thirties and forties, and you know, defences we used were all in their sixties, so everybody was older than me. But I was on the street since I'm thirteen, and I delivered. And I always if I said I was going to do something, I did it. You know, there's talkers and there's doers, and like anything like anything in the real world, in the old world or the other.
Speaker 2: World, so you were. You were, in effect, at a very young age, a quarterback.
Speaker 3: I was. I was. I would put the heist together. I had the crew. They all listened to me, and we were like a well oiled machine. We did what we did really well. We didn't we never got caught in the commission of a crime. I didn't understand the law. I learned that later in life. I eventually studied after I went through seven attorneys, including the famous civil rights attorney William Kuntzler. I had originally retained Barry Slotnik. I had some of the best attorneys money could buy in the beginning, and eventually I learned the law. But I didn't know the law when I was on the street. And I thought, once we got away with the crime, scott free, it was done. Just don't talk about it. You know, if you didn't go, you should know. So we didn't talk about it. And then what happened was at some point or another years later, a few years down the road. You know, a lot of crimes were from when I was twenty twenty one, twenty two. Now yeah, now twenty four to twenty five, and I'm facing life, and what happened was the FBI. There was a guy who one of the fences I used. He was a big fence and give you an it's almost like it's an incredible story. Again. The guy was on forty seventh Street in the Julie District in Manhattan. That's where he operated, and there was only like five or six fences, as I understood it, for like decades. They had that handle anything. You know. You could bring them the Stanhope diamond and they could move it, you know, whereas other fence, another fence might say, what the hell you want me to do with that? I don't know where to go? Dad. You could bring them a picasso, you know, a Dollari van go anything. He could fence, and so we always used him. It was my friend's uncle, and I looked up to him. I called him uncle. I called him uncle, your uncle Billy at the time. And I looked up to him. And at some point or another a lot of the heists I did, I brought all the merchandise I brought to him, and he was aware of other big heightts we did. And when he got arrested by the FBI, he flipped. But he became what they call and you would know for your listeners. He became what they called a dry snitch. He wanted to be a confidential informant. He did not want to testify against anybody, but he gave up everything that I did, and the FBI of all the crimes that they were looking at they had thought of. It was like a lot of these big heists they thought were done by like a season's crew, like a Jimmy Burke, you know, the guy who did les Stanza. They figured, you know, they were looking at all these big guys in their forties and fifties who've been around hardened criminals and never knew it was a kid in his early twenties.
Speaker 2: Rob Okay, please clip that then, kind to watch the language. So obviously what happens is when you're doing this stuff, you had no concept about conspiracy laws, You had no concept about rico statutes, You had no concept about statues of limitations. You figured, hey, now, six six months, it's it's all in the rear view, Mira. So you you chose, you chose not to snitch, and you did eight years. With all that, you've were facing life in prison. Obviously your lawyers must have worked some sort of well, I'll.
Speaker 3: Tell you what happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, let me take a break, loose, just real quickly because commercials. We'll use this as a break. We'll come back. We'll talk about it, and if folks wanted the conversation, ask questions. I also want to talk about the book that you have just written, Bogada Clash of the Titans, and it does cover the period of nineteen sixty to nineteen eighty five, which starts with obviously the Kennedy administration in the person of Robert F. Kennedy, Junior President, Kennedy's attorney general, his brother going after organized crime, and while Jay go Hoover had been the head of the FBI for about three decades and he was asleep at the switch. And there's a lot of stuff going on in the nineteen fifties that Hoover either turned a blind eye to or he was too arrogant to what acknowledge he was missing. We'll get to all of that. I promise we're going to spend at least until eleven o'clock, and I'd love to have those of you join the conversation, ask questions. Organized crime is always something that has fascinated everyone. We're getting a real inside look from Lou Ferrante. We'll be back on night Side right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: My guest is Lou Ferenting. He was a member of the Gambino crime family, was associated with them, served eight years in prison because he would not incriminate fellow Gambino family members. He's written a book called Bolgata, Riise of and Empire. It's just out. Has received a critical acclaim from The Wall Street Journal, New York Post, Washington Free Beacon, amongst others. And I find him to be a really interesting gentleman, and he has turned his life around. How old are you now?
Speaker 3: If I could ask, Lou, Oh, I'm fifty five. Now this is many years ago. I'm back going back to the nineties when I was.
Speaker 2: Wild, okay, And as they say, when you folks ended up swarmed by FBI agents in San Francisco, how many of how many were in your crew that day? How many people were there?
Speaker 3: So yeah, that day there was there was uh one, two, three, four of us there and there were other guys you know back home, obviously I had I had more of a crew you know, it depends who I would use for a job. But there were four of us in San Francisco. There were three, and then the fourth guy who joined us, and he had just joined us, and that's when we got we got dragged in. There's actually surveillance photos of that incident floating around on the computer somewhere.
Speaker 2: Really, so I got to ask a question on that one. Were you guys staying at a high class hotel in San Francisco?
Speaker 3: No, No, we weren't. No, very very low key. It was. It was what you would call a hotel motel, somewhere you go like to hike, you know, from uh if you're doing something wrong yester the day. Yeah, No it was. No, it was no fancy place.
Speaker 2: So now I want to drill down on some of this, and I want to get to the book as well, but I want to take the few minutes we have left before the newscast at the bottom of the hour. I'm assuming you were born into this. I mean you were you were born into.
Speaker 3: This, most most of my friends were. I wasn't Dan. Actually, I came from my mother's family was crooked. My my grandfather was a World War two hero eight bronze stars in the Asiatic Pacific. But he came home and his friends got him in the union. He drove heavy machinery in the Operating Engineers Union, and he took numbers at night in the bar. My uncle was a hijacka his son, my mother's brother. We used to visit him in sing sing Uh and different prisons throughout my childhood.
Speaker 2: I made a nice family trip one.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, we'd argued the whole way up there and and and back, but it was like a typical Italian family. Arguing is just part of conversation. Yeah, it was, you know, we were allowed. But yeah, so that's how I grew up. But my father's family were law abiding when I I got involved in the life, though, I did meet on come in contact and became close friends with a lot of people who were born into the life where their fathers were the wise guys, their grandfathers, their uncles. One of my dear friends, he's a captain in the Banano family. He's away right now. He's a perfect example. His grandfather was a captain, his uncle was a captain, and uh and uh and in one of his cousins. All of them rose to the rank of Capo at different times in their lives, and they were all part of the Banano family from the very beginning. They all came from Castela Maurici del Golfo in Sicily, So there was people I lived in uh. I practically lived for the better part of seven or eight years in Peter Gotti's house. Sean Gotty's oldest brother, Peter was a captain in again final family, and I was in and out of that house just about every day. They were born into the life, Peter Son, Peter Son, Peter was born into the life. They knew nothing else. Although John wasn't and Peter wasn't. They were first generation. Actually nobody realized that John Gotti was the first generation Mafio, so he wasn't born into the life. Yeah, he came up. Him and his financial Rgerio eventually met Neil Dough or became close when Neil de la Crosch and then got involved with the game. You know, family. But most of my friends were involved in that life to some extent. They were born into it, whereas I wasn't. And there was just as many guys who weren't like me too.
Speaker 2: So when once you got into it, Okay, I'm assuming, and if I'm wrong, here tell me. Okay, I'm I'm I'm asking this. This is not a rehearsed interview. I'm assuming that when you had some successes, whether it was you know, hitting an armored truck, you know, hitting a truck that you know that that really turned out to be a money a money winner for you. I'm assuming there was a little bit of an adrenaline rush when when things went right.
Speaker 3: I loved it. Dan. If I look back now again, I regret it now today, from the moment I from the and I started to rethink my life in prison, I regretted it. But when I was involved and in when I was doing it in real time, I loved it. I thought it was the big It was incredible adrenaline. I have skydived, and skydiving doesn't come close to it. The adrenaline rush was incredible. And you're lawless as well, right, you know, I abide by all the laws of society. Now Ever, since I came home from prison, I abuie by all the laws of society, and I'll never feel that sense of lawlessness, which is also a sense of freedom philosophically speaking, you know, it's a sense of there's nothing holding you down. You know, we all have to live by the guidelines of society. Now, then we have additional guidelines with our domestic lives. We have you know, you have a wife, you have children, you have responsibilities, you have all kinds of things you have to abide by every single day. And then you have a boss. You got to go to work. Then you have laws of the way to work that you have to follow on the road, et cetera. I didn't have any of that law.
Speaker 2: Become we want to become addicted to that lifestyle, just like someone who tries drugs and they like it, they become addicted.
Speaker 3: I just I did. I loved it. I loved it. I absolutely loved it. Dan and I loved it. And you know, the big shock of going to jail, when you're locked up in a cell, the first shock is is you have removed from the street and you don't have any of that action that you that that feeds you, that that you live off of. It's all done, it's all gone. And then you have obviously there's additional things are suffering. You know, there's loneliness. You missed your family and your friends, and your loved ones and all that other stuff. But you also, I missed the action too, and you have wise guys in there. I have to tell you. It's funny you said that because you have wise guys in there that also missed the action but don't realize it's done, and they try to relive it day after day. For example, if guys used to steal stuff from the kitchen for us, Let's say guys were smuggling spaghetti from the kitchen up to the tea block for us so we can make spaghetti at night the way we like it. You you would have the wise guy going, hey, what'd you do with that pound of spaghetti. I'm gonna have a sit down with this guy over the pound of spaghetti. We should have got that pound the other guy got it. Next thing you know, they're walking on the tier block and there's like sixteen wise guys, you know, from every different family over a pound of spaghetti. And I'm my own. You know, you got to be kidding me. These guys are out of their minds, but they're trying to relive the life that they don't have anymore. Yeah, it's incredible, it's incredible, you know, And once I saw the comedy. You know, I'm by myself laughing, going this is this is, this is ridiculous. You know, you got to realize, you know, we're not living this life anymore, you know. And then they'll say, just chairs for so and so, come over here. You've got to sit here because he was sowing so on the street. And it's and they're playing the game still, they're not ready to let go of it.
Speaker 2: But you also, I assume having you know, been a maid member, and I assume you were a maid member.
Speaker 3: Correct, No I wasn't. No, they correct the record, So just to be no, no, I was not. So I was. I was plated to be. All my friends that I hung out with right after I went to prison. I went to prison, you know, I got locked up twenty four, twenty five. I'm facing the rest of my life in prison. So I was young. I was coming up on my own. I would have one percent been straightened out had I not gone to jail and had three cases. So now I'm locked up and all of the friends I hung out with every day, the things that everybody I did things with, they're coming up on visits and saying I got my I got my thing, I got my I got straightened out, but I got my button, I got, you know. So I'm proud of them. I'm hugging and kissing them, but this is I touched of Mvy and me going, I can't.
Speaker 2: They're going to what they perceived. What they're going. They're going to the major leagues. What they perceive is the major leagues in their their vocation.
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly. And I felt like, you know, you got You're buried.
Speaker 2: You're buried in in in in in a minor league baseball and you never can get that break.
Speaker 3: And I'm sick about it. Dan at the time. By the grace of God, once again, I say, now I look back, it was a lucky thing. I'm glad that I never had it because it was easier when I came home. When I came home, too, they immediately wanted to put me up. One of my friends, I told you to mention the guy from the Banano family, he says, Louis goes, I'll put you up tomorrow, he goes, especially after you did eight and a half years, you know, I mean, you kept your mouth shut. And so I'm assueing and here, and he had pulled me over by the way from the Gabino family. There was a beef war. I was in jail. Peter got he was locked up thro him forty years and uh and my friends from the Banano family. Because I wasn't made already. I was. I was just claimed by the Gambinos. He pulled me over to the Bananos and so he goes, I'll put you up. I says, put me up. I'm done. I'm finished. I go and I and I wish I could talk you out of it, and I tried to, but uh, you know, by then I had I had witnessed what it's all about from the inside. I'm in there, and I realized that there were so many informants.
Speaker 2: What do you do about those guys? Yeah, what are you doing these?
Speaker 3: I just write I love riding home for the Submary channel. Yeah, and I I.
Speaker 2: Got to take a break here for at the news. At the bottom. Man we get back. I want to talk about the book, and I want to give people an opportunity to ask you questions. I mean, you, we're never a made man, but you have emerged stronger and better from a situation that that was about the only thing that you really knew growing up and fall. It's a great story. It's a great story, my guess. Lou Ferrante his book is we got to Clash of the Titans. We'll get to that, I promise. And if you'd like to feel free, you can ask any question you want. As you can see lose an open book. He's there's nothing you're going to ask him. He's not going to give you an answer to six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one, seven, nine, ten thirty. And I also think he should have any that some of us should acknowledge some congratulations to him, because a lot of guys go to jail and they don't have this metamorphois. They they think that well, i'll get my i'll get out, and i'll uh, I'll do something else. If I'm a bank robber, I'll get another bank and i'll and I'll get away, and they just continue on. And it's they They never they never can see the darkness that they're heading down. And Lewis lose the exception in many respects. So I admire and I enjoy talking to him, and I hope you will as well, coming back on nightside.
Speaker 1: If you're on night side, with Dan Ray on WAZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: So my guess is Lou for Ante, he's an accomplished author. So some of your works have gotten some fabulous reviews mob Rules. You have a first volume praise for Bogata, Rise of a Rise of Empire. What is the word bogd to.
Speaker 3: Mean Bogatas we had slangs for like a family, a crime family, we would say either the Bogado or the Bourgad. We didn't we wouldn't say a crime family or uh, you know, we wouldn't say the Gambino family like that. We would say John's crew if it was John Gotti's cruel or if it was chinging Anti, who was the boss of the Genevie's family. We would refer to it as the West Side. But the actual crew would be the Bogado or the Bruvad pronounced that way. And it's basically it comes from like it's almost like an Italian ghetto the name. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the book that we're going to talk about right now is a book that is coming out on December third, So I just it's it's it's unpublished by Pegas Pegasus, which is a big publisher.
Speaker 3: Simon and Schuster. That's correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, big big publishers. So you're doing really you found a real calling in life. So let's just this book is not available, but is it available for pre order?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'll tell you thanks for asking. Borgata it's a trilogy, the Bogada Trilogy, and the first volume which is Rise of Empire Borgata Rise of Empire, which has a red cover in the United States, that has been available since January, so that's available now. It's doing very well. And that's the first volume that brings you from the origins of the Mafia in Sicily, crosses over the ocean, picks up in the United States, goes through prohibition, goes through the rise of Las Vegas and Cuba, and the mob how they spread themselves out across the country and in different areas. So that's sort of like the first landing of the Mafia in the United States. And the second volume is Clash of Titans, part of the Borgata trilogy that's due out in December. It may have just been bumped to the first week of January. It's available for pre order, so I would urge your listeners to hopefully read the first one, Rise of Empire. If they enjoy it, the second one will be out shortly. And the second one deals with Part two, which picks up in nineteen sixty and as you had mentioned earlier, it picks up with the first concentrated attack on the Mafia, which is through the Kennedy administration. When John F. Kennedy won the presidency, he appointed his brother, Robert F. Kennedy, is the Attorney General, and Robert F. Kennedy had a grudge with the mob from the McClellan Hearings also known as the Rackets Committee, where he brought mobsters in front of him and he tangled with them, and he had, you know, big, big loud tips with them, including Jimmy Hoffer, the labor leader teams to leader Jimmy Hoffer, who plays a prominent role in the second volume as well. And when Bobby Kennedy becomes Attorney General, there was sort of a quid pro quote with the Kennedy's made through the father, Joe Kennedy Senior, where if the mob helps Kennedy get into office because they controlled big places like Chicago where they had a tremendous political cloud and they needed them to get Kennedy in these particular swing states. He needed help. The mob said, well, if we help, we expect him to just back off and layoff. And John F. Kennedy was pretty easy going. He seemed to be okay with that. Joe Kennedy Senior unfortunately had a stroke and became incapacitated, and it was left to Bobby, who was a bit of a grudge holder. And Bobby went crazy going after the Mob. And as you said, also too, I go deep into Hoover and why he seemed to ignore the Mob for the better part of decades, and at some point he was forced to awaken.
Speaker 2: I think that Hoover actually said that there was no such thing as organized crime, and that whatever organized crime was around, the FBI had put them in their place. And this was a period of time when the mob leaders were meeting in the Catskills, so you didn't have the media coverage that you had today. And obviously Bobby Kennedy became, you know, to the mobster, a deep dark enemy that no r if you will, and that's why there's so much question and concern about who truly was responsible for the assassination. I don't know if you get into that in the book I did.
Speaker 3: I got deeply into it, Dan, I think I think you readers, your listeners rather will enjoy that as well. I went deep into the ties between organized crime and the government, UH and the Cuban exiles. And it has a lot to do with those three groups. Those three those are the three I think chief conspirators. And you know, some people add Lyndon Johnson to it, some people add Jed Behova to it, some people add Alan Dulles to it. But I make a clear argument that those three groups, uh, the government, the mafia, and the Cuban exiles rogue elements of the government. I should say, it wasn't obviously, uh, you know, a top down thing in the government. It was rogue elements of the government. Uh. And it was also certain individuals within the Cuban exile community who felt portrayed by the Kennedy administration, first at the Bay of Pigs and then at the Cuban Missile crisis, where you know, the first of the Bay of Pigs, they felt abandoned by the Kennedy administration, uh, and then at the Cuban Missile crisis they felt the you know, everyone pretty much in the administration, even the choice Joint Use of Staff felt like, this is an easy reason to go in to go invade Cube and get what we didn't get done the first time, and the Cuban ex were biting their nails. Goes, we finally got this going. And the next thing Kennedy did was he not only uh uh you know, he made a deal with Khrushchev and under the table to pull missiles out of two he would put we would pull missiles out of Turkey if Krushchev got the missiles out of Cuba. But he also told the UH to Khrushchev and Castro that there would be no subsequent invasions, I promise you. And then he turned on the Cuban exiles and said locking them up because it's illegal the activities that they're conducting on US soil. And you know, these.
Speaker 2: Guys went for that group, and I studied that a little bit bit. That was a group called Alpha sixty six. I think that was the exile group.
Speaker 3: That was very that was very Yeah, that's correct, yeah, yes, two yeah. For Grade twenty five, Oh no, that's right. For Gade twenty five oh six was the was the main characters. And then Alpha sixty six was part of it. And those are the guys who were sort of like, uh, I think that that sort of morphed into the Watergate too, so that that crow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and and for me, I always suspected organized crime because of the Jack Ruby connection. Obviously, when Ruby was in the bowels of the Dallas Police Department and killed Oswald while he was in custody of a Dallas police officer shot him to death, and you know, live television back in Sunday morning of November nineteen sixty three. You know, now you know, Ruby claimed that he did it because he wanted to stop the poor suffering of Jackie Kennedy. I think that was the excuse he used, but I felt there was a motive there. Did you get into that at all?
Speaker 3: I did? I did, and you nailed it. I got deep, deeply into it, and I uncovered some really nice bits and pieces and put them together nicely. Where Ruby had conversations with his attorneys, and one particular attorney he said to him, look, you know, my last attorney told me to come up with that story. It's sohny. He goes, I don't care if Jackie Kennedy suffered or not. And you know, I said, I was, you know, heartbroken over the Kennedy assassination. If I was so heartbook, and can someone explain to me why I didn't even bother to vote from, you know, and he goes, I don't care. And he said that the Warren Commission, when they did the Warren Commission report which exonerated him, he was telling everybody, don't believe it. He goes, I wasn't innocent. Don't believe it. And you know who Hoover himself when he watched it, he said, he said right away, it's a mobhead. You know it was it was clear. You know, you got a guy and you got a guy in a black suit and a fedora with a thirty eight snubnose runs up to you know, Oswalden shoots them and you know, basically.
Speaker 2: All dead men tell no stories.
Speaker 3: Right exactly exactly, and they all knew it. They all knew that he was silencing a witness. And there's there's strong connections to uh. Marcelo adorns the cover. Carlos Marcelo, the Louisiana Don Louisiana mob boss adorns the cover of volume two, Clash of Titans, and he's the main central character uh, he was. He really really torns with Bobby Kennedy. And he was repeatedly overheard by witnesses who sent this information to Hoove up before the assassination and after saying they repeatedly overheard him saying, look, you know, if you cut off the head the dog, I'm sorry, if you cut off the tail, the dog still could bite you. You have to cut off the head, meaning Bobby Kennedy was the tail. John Kennedy was the head. You got to take out the head and that's the only way to diffuse Bobby Kennedy. And the minute Kennedy was assassinated, Bobby was completely incapacitated, and eventually he was you know, he was out of the Justice Department and the war against the Mob.
Speaker 2: Well, he and Linda Johnson were not on speaking terms even at that point.
Speaker 3: All that's correct.
Speaker 2: This is Lou Farranty. We're going to finish it up here, and I'll tell you as we get towards the holiday and the gift giving season. If you're at all a historian, if you have a family member who was a historian, these were a couple of books. You want to get to the one that comes out the Clash of the Titans covers nineteen sixty obviously an important year politically, to nineteen eighty five, and then there'll be another third book in this trilogy. I'm delighted to get this conversation with Lou Farronte. He and I have had very different experiences and very different career paths, but I think we've come to some very similar conclusions.
Speaker 3: That's correct. And you're a legend, by the way, Dan in our world, what you've done in your life. Yeah, I mean, there aren't a lot of innocent people, but it's a shame when there are a few, and I've met some in jail, and the work you've done is incredible. I want to Kit Mahatia, well, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: And the men here in Boston who were associated with organized crime, they were innocent of the crime for which they were convicted, and they were convicted of that crime with the knowledge of Jaka Hoover. And I believe that Hoover actually at that point said, because of the Kennedy assassination, we'd have to become much more aggressive. And they used a guy up here named Joe Barbosa to who had killed thirty five forty forty five people. No one could have really calculate his body count, but he was a real effective witness and he became the prototype for the heart for the for the feder witness Protection program. He was the first armer of the Feeder witness Protection program. And when he murdered a guy out in California, it's a great story lit the FBI agents here who had worked with him and developed him, they went to California to become defense witnesses, character witnesses for Barbosa because they were afraid he was gonna flip.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, oh yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: He killed a guy out in California named Clay Wilson, and he eventually he was facing the death penalty out there. This was before Furman versus Georgia, and he was allowed to plead guilty and he got what was called a California sentence five years to life. He spent three and a half years in a federal farm in Montana, and he was paroled and the FBI told the well, the FBI agents, the corrupt FBI agents told the mafia people here in Boston where Bobosa was. And the the mafia people in Boston went out and kept Bobosa in February. As they say, he died in an industrial they got him. He was shot, yeah, they got yeah.
Speaker 3: Wow. So the fed him to the mob? Is that what they and the story.
Speaker 2: GOESBI corrupt FBI agents here in Boston. We had a very corruptive office for for decades here in Boston. There were plenty of good FBI agents. Okay, guys who are doing.
Speaker 3: Trying to reflects on them, I know.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and I have had plenty of friends and law enforce. We'll take a quick break back of Blue Ferrante right after this. I can't tell you, lou bunch of them enjoying the conversation, and thank you for your kind words. They're up. They're way overboard what I did. It was it was a thing, but that it wasn't. It wasn't the sort of metaphorhis that you have gone through. That's for sure.
Speaker 3: I think nobody has this tenacity to stick with things for other people. It's an incredible thing you did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks man, I appreciate it. We'll be back on Night's Side right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: I guess Lou farranting, Lou, real, quick question, you become a professional writer. How did you learn that skill or did it just come naturally?
Speaker 3: There may be an element of natural to it, because I took to it, but it was self taught. I was in prison and I went to the whole long story. Don't have the time for now to tell you how I went there, But I went there to someone else. So I'm in the hole. I finally get released and I called my friend who was the caretaker of John Gotty's club, and he had tattoos all over his body. He had Biblical verses. Dad, So I said, hey, you read right, Yeah, you read the Bible. I say, assume the old the verses on your body. He says, yeah, I read the Bible. I read books too, so I asked me sent me in books, and I started to read. I fell in love with books. The first time I ever read a book in my life was in prison. I was literate. I went to you know, little school when I was young, grammar school. I graduated high school. I just never went to college. But I cheated my way through school too, so and I ran a chop shop through high school. You know, I mean they have it right, Yeah, incredible. So so anyway I read, I fell in love with books, and at some point I said, I'd like to write, but you don't have a university or a professor, and you know university professor in the writing teacher. How I taught myself was basically everything. I figured that everything Leo Tolstoy knows about writing is in the pages of Anna Karenina. Everything Hemingway knows about writing is in the pages of To Whom the Bell Tolls? Everything the Bronte sisters know about writing is in Jane A, et cetera. And so I would just read these books, and I would read them with an analytical eye, take notes in the margin, how they begin to how they begin to a chapter, how they begin to plot, how they develop a plot, how they introduce a character, how they exit a character. And that's why I taught myself out to right. I came home and I wanted to be a writer of anything but true crime. I never wanted to look back at the mob. I didn't want to talk about it. I didn't want to know about it. I tried everything to get published with anything else. And you know, the people the publishing industry basically just keeps telling you, tell us about you, tell us about you, allow us you know.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly, and that's that that is the key to success. Lou, I'm flat out of time. It's been a fascinating hour. We will replay this hour on Sunday night, our Best at Nightside, which runs at eleven o'clock here in Boston on Sunday this coming Sunday night. I pledge you on. I pledged you on that if you ever get up to Boston, love to take you to dinner and uh and just meet you, be honest. The book that's coming up is Forgota bl r g A d A Clash of the Titans. It's come now, just before Christmas. The prior book is already available, and I suggest you may want to Rise Borgata Bio r g A t A Rise of Empire again. Lewis Ferrante f E r r A n t E. You can find it Amazon, you can find it anywhere. Well, let's keep in touch, and great success to you, my friend, and congratulations on your metamorphois. It's it's a inspirational story. My pleasure, my pleasure. When we get back, I think I want to talk about Donald Trump's decision not to have a second debate. I will a third debate. I should say I'll explain it all right after the eleven o'clock News