Speaker 1: You're listening to bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: KFI AM six forty bill Handle. It is a Monday morning, December two, tomorrow pasta thon at the Anaheim White House. Please join us to help Caterina's Club.
Speaker 1: Bring your sasa, SASA, bring your sauce and pasta.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a combination, right, your SASA or your pause, none of that works. Okay, that's tomorrow, and you can go up to the website at bill Handle show and I think you can see or KFI AM six forty here's you go. Know. We just go to KFIAM six forty dot com slash pasta fon Okay. Also, we are now doing phone calls again for ask handle anything.
Speaker 1: We do this on Friday where you record.
Speaker 2: A question you got under fifteen seconds and I will answer any question you have. And there's some embarrassing ones that unfortunately I answered, and there was one or.
Speaker 3: Two that were absolutely disgusting that I answered.
Speaker 2: And well, it's let me put this way, ask handle almost everything or anything. So you go to the iHeart app. If you don't have it, download it. There is during the course of the show, you'll see that we're broadcasting. Go to the microphone and the other top right hand corner, tap it, and you then have fifteen seconds to record a question that Neil and Ann will go through and I will answer those. On Friday, Neil and Ann will select a few, usually embarrassing for me, to make me look like an ass, and I usually succeed beyond your wildest dreams. Now going to unfortunately the fire, the airport fire that burned over twenty three thousand acres, and it started with Orange County Public Works crew, a crew moving boulders with heavy machinery, and they sparked a fire, the fire and it caught with the vegetation, and you've got folks that have lost their homes, one hundred and sixty structures, twenty two people injured, thousands were forced to flee. And usually there's a lawsuit that's going to be filed, and usually those don't work. The fire department didn't do enough, You didn't rescue me. You could have burned, you could have saved my home. Yeah, and there was usually go no place. This one a little bit different. Why because there are emails and chat messages that have made available by a public records request in which the anxiety level of the department.
Speaker 1: In the early stages of the fire.
Speaker 2: You can see they they not only caused the fire, they could have put it out and they didn't because they didn't bring one of those water trucks, which as a secondary description of what they do, is that all those thousands of gallons of water could be used to put out the fire.
Speaker 1: And they didn't have one.
Speaker 2: Matter of fact, they should have had one, And one of the managers of the crews said, nah, turned it down.
Speaker 1: Wow. They were there to put boulders.
Speaker 2: Along the roadway to block off road vehicles from going into private property. It was triple heat, triple digit heat that day. The fire rating was high. One the crew noticed smoke coming from the basket of one of.
Speaker 1: These construction loaders.
Speaker 2: The machine operator and a supervisor there tried unsuccessfully to douse the planes with They have fire extinguishers, and they called on nine to one one. They didn't have that water truck, which it was supposed to be there, and the department did not follow best practices right there in the procedures manual and man While this was going on, you've got a chat with the deputy director of construction talking to the manager saying, I'm going to talk about that.
Speaker 3: We effing started a fire and it's bad.
Speaker 2: The deputy director says, we yeah, and we have a guy name redacted, and he adds t tyl lol tlculator laugh out loud, and the reply is crap, except it's spelled out what happened. I was trying not to put it on teams. I didn't want this to go on the chat. I didn't want to really admit this. Someone didn't follow.
Speaker 1: Directives straight out, straight out.
Speaker 2: They didn't use best practices for the maintenance guidelines. The messaging between officials indicates the crew was aware the fire danger was high on the day it ignited the blaze. The fire is lit, it begins, the work continues as the fire grew. Now they're getting upset. One of the managers or with the manager that was there, said it's growing so fast. Later a project manager writes, holy crap.
Speaker 1: It's growing faster and faster.
Speaker 2: And then there is one line on that chat when it became clear the fire was getting out of hand in a message, I wish that guy had listened.
Speaker 3: To his directives. Do you think there's a lawsuit there?
Speaker 2: Twenty two homes gone now, twenty two injuries, one hundred and sixty homes, and thousands of people evacuated. Now, Orange County has already gone bankrupt once. I know very few people remember that this was a couple of decades ago. Orange County went bankrupt because the financial manager was investing in these crazy investments on behalf of the county that all went south. They had to go bankrupt. I think this is going to be number two. I do believes number two. If that is in the hell of a lawsuit, I don't know what is. I told you earlier today, I am going to euthanize. We are going to useonize our dog. We're putting down our dog and it's a mess. It had it was eaten by a coyote, attacked by a coyote, and an infection set in and it's uncontrolled and we can't save the dog. So if that came over yesterday to put down the dog and the dog was a mess, the vet walked in the room, dog gets up, goes to the vet, does circus tricks, and I'm saying, how do we put down? How do we put down this dog? And the vet agreed with me. Lindsey on the other hand, said, I've done this a bunch. I've put down five dogs over the years, and this happens. It's a rally just before they die. And she's absolutely right because Gucci, the dog has spent the last three weeks in bed, will not get up out of bed except when the vet showed up. And the dog has literally been in bed and won't get out of bed, and pee's in bed and it's in pain. And you know, when you have a dog that's in bed that much, you know something's wrong. Neil pointed out this morning. He said, Bill, I suggest you never sleep in because you're gonna have a big problem on your hands.
Speaker 4: Your fiance kills dogs. She's forty years old. She has killed five dogs in her life.
Speaker 1: She's not forty, she's older than that.
Speaker 4: She's killed five dogs, and you're gonna be next.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, dogs don't even have bank accounts and they were killed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, going down, Bob, Yeah, I know, I know. He is the black widow. I know.
Speaker 2: And it was a shelter dog. Gucci was a sheelter dog. As we have adopted shelter dogs, and they're tough, they have all kinds of problems and we'll talk about that, because I think I'm gonna get another dog, or we are gonna get another dog. And this connects to a story that was the Only Times yesterday. The number of dogs euthanized by animal shelters run by the city has increased by seventy two percent since last year. And wow, the animal the protective people, all of us. I mean, who really wants to see a dog that shouldn't be euthanized? Now, if a dog is hurting, if a dog has such behavioral issues that it can't deal with anybody, I can understand that. But you've got healthy dogs, You've got friendly dogs that are being euthanized because the shelters can't deal with them. And here's where there's never enough money.
Speaker 1: What do you do.
Speaker 2: You got the homeless problem that is insane, that's growing like beyond belief, and you've got these shelters. And there was a photo of dogs, a couple of dogs who were on the euthanasia list, and their paws were through the cage and you could see their faces begging to be adopted and they're probably going to be put down. It is absolutely heartbreaking, And there just aren't enough shelters, there are not enough staff and the management, according to.
Speaker 1: One of the.
Speaker 2: One of the animal rights groups, and it's report by Best Friends Animal site, it's a rescue group, says the management of the shelters is horrible. The senior management is horrible. Well, for one thing, the policy of euthanasia has changed five times this year and the people who work in the shelters don't know why. Now is there any good news about this? Well, it used to be that the vast number, the majority of animals brought into a shelter were euthanized. Right now, it is ninety one percent of dogs are adopted out, cats in the eighty percent range. Getting an animal from a shelter, Getting a dog or a cat from a shelter is now considered something to do.
Speaker 3: It's a good thing, and people do it and it's considered the right thing.
Speaker 2: It used to be that the only people that went to shelters to adopt these animals were animal rights and rescue people, and they were very rare, and the majority of animals were euthanized. Not so much anymore. I mean we're talking from January September twelve hundred and twenty four dogs were euthanized at the city six shelters, but that is a seventy two percent increase with the same period a year ago. And the number of dogs entering the shelters has increased since twenty twenty two, and the number put to.
Speaker 1: Death has outpaced the population.
Speaker 2: Gain that's going in. We're not doing enough. Where does the money go? And frankly, seeing a dog that's begging to be rescued through a cage really hits you far more than a guy standing on the corner with a sign that says.
Speaker 1: Will work for food.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: You know, usually I don't get this emotional.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't care. But you know, I'm putting down Gucci today and I go in there and she's in bed, and I look at Gucci and I pet her, and she looks at me in the and you can see what she is saying in through her pain.
Speaker 1: Please don't kill me, please.
Speaker 4: Okay, saying don't leave me in the room with Lindsey is what she's saying. Ye, he's got five notches on her belt. And all right, what the belt is made of? I think it's dog number one?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: It is time for do they have a case with Wayne Resnik, and we're not going to.
Speaker 1: Do the first segment.
Speaker 3: I don't want to do.
Speaker 1: Do they have a case?
Speaker 2: I want to ask you in your wheelhouse, what's going on? Hunter Biden was pardoned by the president, which of course a president's allowed to do.
Speaker 1: He gave an.
Speaker 2: Unconditional pardon, and he came up with all the reasons. And Biden is a complete hypocrite. I wish he would just be honest about it. He said that Hunter Biden was prosecuted for political reasons. Trump said the same thing, but Trump was prosecuted by a democratic administration. And there was a firewall that Joe Biden totally upheld where a special prosecutor independent prosecutor. Biden said it was a political attack on his son and said, and this is what I want to ask you anybody else in that same circumstance.
Speaker 1: Convicted of a.
Speaker 2: Gun violation because he put on the form I do not use drugs, and it was proved that he did, and he did that for eleven days and the gun wasn't used. And tax evasion one point nine counts one point four million dollars in taxes he didn't pay, which he did pay back, and he was looking at some jail time.
Speaker 1: Now, the argument that Biden says.
Speaker 2: Someone in similar circumstances wouldn't have been nailed by the Justice Department, what say you?
Speaker 1: The argument is he did what with the Justice Department?
Speaker 5: That well, the Justice Department that he basically interfered or you certain?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no, he let them know, no, no, he let the Juste Department.
Speaker 1: Do his thing. He did. He agreed to the firewall.
Speaker 2: But he is saying that the reason his son was prosecuted was for political reasons by his own administration, which is a croc and except there was a special prosecutor, so okay, and so that's completely independent. And Hunter Biden, if he was not the son of a press would not.
Speaker 1: Have gone through this.
Speaker 2: That anybody in the same circumstances, not a president's son, would not have been prosecuted.
Speaker 5: Well, I can't speak to people's motivations, but I can tell you someone else in Hunter Biden's situation would have been treated the way that Hunter Biden was treated the first time around, which is to say, he was offered a very lenient plea arrangement to make it all go away and not go to prison, and then something happened at that plea hearing where there was a misunderstanding about what it meant or didn't mean, or whether or not he could be prosecuted for other tax crimes. And the government said, yes, he can be prosecuted for other tax crimes, and the defense said, that's not our understanding, and the plea deal blew up, and so he found himself facing these full charges. And also so the first thing is he was treated differently at first, which is to say, the way someone in his position would have been treated, someone who had a lot of personal problems and drug addictions and was in a state.
Speaker 1: Of his life unlike most of the rest of his life.
Speaker 5: The lawyers, it sounds like, caused a commotion, and then they had a choice veer even further into leniency. Look, we don't want this guy. We don't really want this guy to go to jail. We don't even really need convictions on all of this stuff. That's not going to happen now. We can either veer left and drop.
Speaker 1: Some charges or.
Speaker 5: Straight ahead, which is full trial, full convictions.
Speaker 1: And that's the choice that they made.
Speaker 5: And did they make that choice because of who he was, Yes, but they kind of had to because there was no way they were going to survive veering the other way and saying our lenient plea deal didn't work out. So we're gonna wash our hands of the whole case and you can walk away a free man that never would have stood in the court of public opinion.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the argument that he was treated differently because he's Hunter Biden really is not the case. Starting out, he was given the deal that anybody else would have been given in the same circumstance, effectively, and something blew up in trial or in the plea, in the plea agreement, which is aberrational, and that's not normally what happens. So the argument is that Joe Biden is not only wrong, but he is a hypocrite, and he's saying this was political and I wish god, I wish she was honest about this and just say, you know, I'm pardoning him because he's my son.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Next question, and this is what happened with Arnold Schwarzenegger. When remember the son of Fabio Nunez who is convicted and did seven years, or was convicted and was given seven years for stabbing someone, and Arnold Schwarzenegger, who was friends with Fabio Nunez, who was an assemblyman Speaker of the Assembly. He simply said, this is Arnold Schwarzenegger. When he commuted it down to two years.
Speaker 3: He said, the reason I'm doing this is Fabio is a friend.
Speaker 1: That's it. We thank you very much. Next, questionly allowable, right, they have that power.
Speaker 5: Can I ask you something about this Joe Biden pardoning his son. He always said he would never interfere, he would not disrupt or interfere with the Department Justice.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this did is this?
Speaker 5: Is this a loophole in that he can say I didn't stop them from charging him, from demaking him. I am going to stop them though, I am going to stop them from sentencing him.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and that's it.
Speaker 5: But is it a loophole or in fact, has he interfered?
Speaker 1: Oh no, I don't think he's interfered.
Speaker 2: Well, he's interfering, he will Hunter Biden.
Speaker 1: I was saying about this morning, and I was I was on your side.
Speaker 5: I was saying, well, he didn't really didn't technically interfere, but it's kind of a loophole.
Speaker 1: But now I'm thinking he did interfere.
Speaker 5: Because he didn't let the case go all the way to its conclusion. That's looking what sentence was imposed. We then make a decision about whether he.
Speaker 1: Will buy that pardon.
Speaker 3: But then how does he do that when he is out of the presidency.
Speaker 1: Uh, well, the sentencing was gonna be in like a week and a half. Well he was going to go to trial. Uh oh, okay, so he will You're right.
Speaker 5: No, he because it was convicted by a jury on the gun charge and he ended up pleading guilty to the tax stuff.
Speaker 1: All right, we're done.
Speaker 2: I just wanted your view on that because this is in Wayne's wheelhouse.
Speaker 1: Now we're gonna come back. Did interfere? That's great?
Speaker 2: Okay, do they have a case with Wayne? As we on the show, and you know the rules, Wayne, let's do.
Speaker 5: It, all right, So getting the time machine with me, Bill, I'm flying coach, you're flying business class because food chain and we go back to nineteen seventy and we passed the Controlled Substances Act and Nixon signs it, and it creates the current regime of outlining a lot a lot of drugs and the schedule one, two, three, four five system that we have. Now we fast forward to twenty twenty two and the Great State of Mississippi passes a Medical Cannabis Act authorizing the sale and use of marijuana for certain medicinal purposes. And in this law is a provision that says you will be limited in when, where and how you can advertise your legal in Mississippi medical marijuana business. You can have a sign on your actual dispensary.
Speaker 1: Of course, you can be listed in a business.
Speaker 5: Directory like the phone book, medical publications, that kind of thing. But you can't just like, for example, you can't take out an ad in the newspaper, you can't run an ad on the radio, you can't post on social media. So here comes the owner of a medical marijuana dispensary and he says, you're violating my First Amendment rights. And the state says, well, hold up, buddy, you're talking about commercial speech here, the advertising of a business, and you have less rights with commercial speech as you might with political speech, for example, and so we can regulate your speech. And he says, listen, the first men protects stuff that's legal.
Speaker 1: This is legal in Mississippi.
Speaker 5: What I'm doing is legal, And they say, yes, it is one hundred percent legal. Therefore, not letting me advertise my legal behavior is a violation. And they say, no, it's not because and this is really the decision you got to make. What you're doing is legal in Mississippi, but what you're doing isn't legal because it's still illegal at the federal level. Ooh, and therefore you don't have any First Amendment protections for commercial speech for illegal behavior. And he says, Ah, if the Feds wanted to outlaw medical marijuana advertising, they could do it because they're the ones for whom it is illegal, but for you, it's legal, and therefore you cannot regulate it. And they say it doesn't matter. It doesn't have to match up that way. It is illegal, therefore it can be regulated. It doesn't matter who made it illegal. It doesn't matter who's regulating. So does he have a case or no?
Speaker 3: I think he does.
Speaker 2: I think all the medical marijuana laws in the country, recreational medical marijuana, I think, are illegal, and the only reason they're allowed is because the Feds aren't enforcing that's it, and so federal law. A matter of fact, I would even go to the point where even having the dispensary itself is illegal and so their argument that it's the First Amendment right to I don't think any of that works. And the judges could go either way. If I were a jud I'd say, you don't have an argument, and the city doesn't have an argument, and the state doesn't have an argument, So let's flip a coint and the Feds could shut you down tomorrow. And I think that argument fails on its face because federal law supersedes any state or local law and is simply a question of enforcement, which they don't want to do.
Speaker 3: So I don't even care which way they go. Which way do they go?
Speaker 1: Well, the dispensary owner.
Speaker 5: And the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals says, you have no case. It doesn't matter that it's legal in Mississippi. We can still prevent you from advertising it because it's illegal federally.
Speaker 1: Okay, that end of your case, sir, could have gone.
Speaker 2: That way, and I think they went through the federal supremacy concept that federal law controls everything. Okay, we're done, Thank you way, We'll see you next Monday, and thanks to.
Speaker 3: Any kill us is always good.
Speaker 2: All Right, we're done, guys, We're back again tomorrow morning. Wake up call with Amy, I come aboard with Neil at six and of course kno and are always with us sort of hanging out.
Speaker 3: And where are we going to be tomorrow?
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, Thank you very much for bringing that up again.
Speaker 2: And we are going to be at the Anaheim White House and we're broadcasting pastapon So come by at the Anaheim White House join us starting at five pastries, coffee, Real jew Bagels right up until nine o'clock and at nine o'clock when we get off the air, I am taking.
Speaker 1: Everything that's left home.
Speaker 2: Just want to let you know KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch my Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app