Speaker 1: You are listening to Video Games to the Max. Hello, and welcome to another edition of Video Games to the Max. This is a special one as we're going over talking about reviewing whatever you want to call it. The Game Awards twenty twenty four. It was quite a show here, ran about three and a half hours long, y ish at least three, and you know, had all the kitten Kaboodo Awards announced with all the stuff you'd expect. And of course it's pho big. I can't just have Mark here, I gotta have Randy as well, so welcome back Randy as well. How are you feeling.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad I didn't like live stream this. I wouldn't have a voice. It was, yeah, quite the wild ride that Jeff put us on.
Speaker 1: That's so they you know, the rumors going around the four of the shows thought it was there was supposed to be two huge announcements that are gonna be like, oh my god, and I think we know now which ones they are. There were more than two, Yeah, there were more than two exactly, but definitely you can you can kind of see what they were talking about there. But probably the opening and the ending I think is maybe what they were hardly reflecting on. But I guess my first like thought of that is this when I got done like just thinking about everything and all the announcements and all that, is like this finally felt like it took him ten years. Maybe it's because it's the tenth anniversary and he's got the cache now, he's got the pull a little bit more than he did many years ago, or whatever, But I think this is it. This is what he wants this show to be. It finally feels like E three mixed with an award show mixed with you know, a little bit of something else. I thought this was his best one he's ever done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's the closest he's gotten to exactly what he keeps saying that he wants it to be. It's kind of a celebration of the past, president and future of gaming, and that's exactly what we got here. I mean, he brought up a lot of people that have been in the industry for a long time that they had that special award that they gave out as well, which is kind of the behind the scenes industry stuff. Obviously. Yes, if you're just looking for awards, some of the awards go by it pretty quick, but I thought they gave extra time for some of them and they weren't rushing them off the stage, which was nice to see. So everyone kind of got their moment. And of course the reveals were insane as well. And yes, this thing went well over three hours, especially if you count their pre show or whatever they're calling it. But other than maybe an hour in the middle, it felt like the whole thing flew.
Speaker 3: By mark that one hour.
Speaker 2: Well it usually other than the first ten minutes. In the last five minutes, but the show felt like at drug for or so we're improving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, go ahead.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, I still just don't like how it doles out the awards. That's still the biggest issue of this thing. He bangs up like five awards in like thirty seconds, and then he has like a performance not just by Snoop Dog, by some white man I haven't never even heard before, and last the orchestra twice right, And I like, I had a film critic friend going like legitimately asking like why is this thing longer than the Golden Globes? And it's like, do you want a joke ancer or the real answer? Like I you know, like, there's no reason this thing should be as long for me.
Speaker 1: I don't The length doesn't bother me necessarily, because that's the only way you're gonna get the dev's getting to be able to talk. I think he had to make that sacrifice of if I want everything that I want else on the show and I don't have to do the wrap it up stuff, I have to be okay with the show being close to four hours or whatever like the oscars would be, and you can decide to turn it off. And I think, to me, except for the Soup Dog one, which that one was obviously you know, hey, I got a chance to have Soup Dog do a do some some music, you know, why not get him out here whatever, The other ones kind of felt like almost like commercial placement, like here's like, here's a break from all the announcement flourish that you had. Especially that first opening thirty minutes when when the SIPs seven Orchestra came on, I was like, oh great, I can like take a breather. I don't have to pay attention for a little bit. You know. It didn't feel so much like here's imagine dragons to waste our time for ten minutes, you know so.
Speaker 3: But then it was weird, like he had a Eela Pernell like on stage for the best adaptation and she didn't even speak. Yeah, awkward, like she didn't want to. Yeah, that was the whole point.
Speaker 2: Like he Todd Howard pointed to her to go up and she's like shook him off. It wasn't like Day said go up there and don't say a word. She didn't want to.
Speaker 1: I think he even like did the thing where he's like, I forgot the name of the other the tall the tall guy. Yeah, he kind of like did that thing where he's he's trying to push his hands to go, okay, Ella, your time, and she kind of the same thing she does with Todd, kind of like I don't know well to me as some of the like I get why, right, because she still has the whole thing he wants, the celebrity, So I get why some of the decisions, like the ongoing game thing, I would have been more upset about. But I feel like Hell Divers too deserves to have its moment because it got robbed from being a Game of the Year, you know, depending on what you feel like game of the Year should be. Like I feel like, if you're such an important game to that year, you kind of deserved to be in the category. But again, this is voted on by a million other people and other countries and whatever. I didn't mind that so much. The adaptation thing is kind of like I get it they wanted to have a reason to have Aaron Paul there, but it's kind of like, did we really is that that's the one we're gonna choose instead of a one this about an actual video game, you know, But I think I feel like that's being nitpicky to me, Like the most of the decisions he made, even the Muppets, which he's had them uppets before and they were terrible, and this time it is actually good because he's making fun of himself and he's making fun of like the stuff from last year. Yeah, but he recognizes that he he kind of did wrong there.
Speaker 3: But they took up a lot of time, and it's like, why this bullshit here? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's there. He's trying to he's trying to play Kate to other people, not just the gamers that are gonna watch this, right, because every year it keeps growing this uh you know, you're having MPR and other outlet that are not gaming related covering this thing. That's what he wants. He wants it to go beyond just gaming for that one night of the year, you know. So I don't know, it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Literally called the Game Awards though it's not. But I mean, like, like I would rather to cut down that bullshit and had like, you know, you know, best narrative, have like an actual ceremony.
Speaker 1: I mean it did they had Sam might go out there and talk right and do his bit and look look like I said, this is never gonna be perfect. There's always gonna be something you're gonna complain about, right, But I feel like of all the ones that we could last year, we had way more complaints and more legitimate complaints than we do. I feel like this year, because he chalked this thing full of really what we come to this thing for? Right? The announcements, Yeah, we can talk about the awards all we want to. That's cool. I love the fact that after about one I know, Mark probably you don't.
Speaker 3: I'm uh neutral on it, Like I'm it's fine. I'm surprised, you like, because you hate it at one level, you know, you have more.
Speaker 1: I love the game It's just okay. That one level frustrated me. But I love that game. I'm plattinum the game. It's the only platinum I ever have. Is is that game? So you know? But and and the fact that they released that Christmas level actually right, you can go play that right now, which is cool, like the fact that they keep releasing stuff for this game. Also. But I'm glad Rebirth didn't get horizoned and won something.
Speaker 2: He won the one award I thought it was going to because Metaphor could have won that award.
Speaker 1: Man Metaphor could have easily won that award.
Speaker 3: So I don't know.
Speaker 2: I've heard like two songs from like Legit, so I'm not going to say it didn't deserve it or did deserve it, because I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean all those soundtracks in that that whole thing were so.
Speaker 2: I mean from that developer, for sure, I can't. I'm not into Persona, but Persona music is fantastic, so I get it. I just haven't heard it.
Speaker 1: And shout out to Neva for winning Games for Impact and Balatro winning Best Indie. I mean that kind of felt like a shoe into me. Blotro was just too popular. I feel like in our win. But all right, let's get to the actual announcement stuff, which what a way to kick off your whole thing. Well, I guess we can start with the pre show, which they had some cool bangers like for me and personally two of my favorite franchises. In the first seven minutes, Ninja Guiden gets a new game. That's the first announcement that they make, which and it's being made by the dot Mu folks, which is you know, Turtles in the Shutter Revenge and Streets Rage four, two games that I think we all loved here, So that was a cool surprise.
Speaker 3: It's not going to face on Ninja guid in Yaiba.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, please, let's not do that. I don't know how big of a fan of a Ninja guy and you are, Randy.
Speaker 2: But I'm glad we're back to the two D stuff. I mean, obviously, I'm an old man, so I grew up with the OLDES games, and yes, the three D games were just as hard, and we're wild for the Xbox and stuff. But it looked awesome. This was one that you can kind of tell us like we're starting off with this, we're gonna have it we're gonna have a fun show.
Speaker 3: So I sent this.
Speaker 2: Message to you Sean near the about near the end of the show. It's like, basically the Game Awards was, Hey, do you remember these games from like twenty thirty, forty years ago? They're all getting sequels and get.
Speaker 1: Ready does that concern you at all in a way that like, yeah, but we're getting too many.
Speaker 2: But we're getting sequels now. We're not like we've gone through the remake washing machine for far too long. These are sequels, like we're going back to old franchises that have been dormant. Maybe it give us hope for other franchises that have been dormant, But these are not well you know, here, here's your Ninja guiden Nes trilogy collection or here's your Rock collection.
Speaker 3: No, these are like new games.
Speaker 2: For all these different franchises, and that's what I'm more excited about. I was like, all right, we're you're actually going back to franchises, but coming up with new ideas.
Speaker 3: I'm so hyped to that.
Speaker 1: I want to mention Slight Aspire to. Getting a new trailer was awesome for me too. I love to slay the spire. And also the fact that slow cap is making a multiplayer soccer game. Uh that looked like legit, Like I've won an Arcade soccer game since they stopped making the FIFA street games.
Speaker 3: So like apparently forgets.
Speaker 2: I mean, that wasn't that great that I will give blessing from kind of Funny the NOD for best joke about that game and calling it a FIFU. That's so as well done.
Speaker 1: That was anything from the pre show that stood out to you guys at all or.
Speaker 3: I didn't watch it, so okay, I mean at the eight hour pre show or the fact that very and it.
Speaker 2: Was the same as the Game awards. Nothing was different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the Shadow Labyrinth game where they're doing like a I don't know if I guess he is like apparently this is also on the Secret Level episode where they have pac Man, so I guess I haven't watched Secret.
Speaker 2: Level yet, but I mean neither, but it looks wild.
Speaker 1: Like I don't know if this is like pac Man. It's telling the other character what to do for him or whatever, but that looks like ridiculous. I was like, this is this is not what I spent when they said alternate take on you know, pac Man or whatever. So yeah, that was that was really cool.
Speaker 2: I need to see more of it. But it's an interesting take on pac Man, especially because like halfway through the trailer you're hearing classic pac Man noises and it's gonna be a mind trip of.
Speaker 1: Well, uh you know, Robert, you could always I could always put you in here. I didn't know you were awake and do.
Speaker 3: A show Man.
Speaker 1: But uh yeah, I mean Witcher four you start that off with, that's your first announcer from the actual show. I'm sure that the Grifters are going to complain about Siri being the main protagonist.
Speaker 3: Gold when he said I I always ever gonna play this game because he play as a woman.
Speaker 1: But I mean, like, isn't that pretty much? They made that very clear at the end of three that she was to be the protagonists basically, or the one that carry the torch.
Speaker 3: So I don't know, finish three okay, I mean sure, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean look cool like her fighting that big monster. Yeah, and the setup for it, like it took me a while to figure out, oh okay, this this is Witcher And when I figured out before they put the C PUBJCT RED logo on there. But still it's.
Speaker 3: One two swords. You know the score.
Speaker 1: Yeah, talk about a big get for Keeley to get them just announcing it there, that's that's pretty great to get that at the beginning. So to show up though, Reverse finally coming is coming to PC a month before it would have been the one year anniversary, and this time it's actually coming to Steam at the beginning. It's not coming to Epic and then getting a year exclusive.
Speaker 3: So they want to sell some copies of those things.
Speaker 1: I'm sure the mods will be coming very quickly after that. The other like the this gen Design game that looked like Mecca Shadow of the Colossus. What did you think about that? Already? I don't know how much of a Shadow of the Colossus.
Speaker 2: Oh no, get that out of here. I'm not a team I don't I don't care. Okay, I don't like that that franchise at all. It gives me bad memories from my backlog busting project days are playing those? No, No, I'm not interesting.
Speaker 1: I thought it school. I will have to wait and see on that. I don't know, Mark, are you?
Speaker 3: I mean it looked neat, but I just don't know what the extual gameplay is. If you're gonna be controlling that big thing or you know, just Polly and that ship around or with you know, if you're trying to find like build another body or with what you're doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like, as long as he's not gonna be the mech version of Trico, then we're good. I was good with Last Guardian for a while until Treco just started becoming like I get that was the point. Yeah, but it's like, oh god, you know, out of Worlds too. They finally got like a big reveal for that. That was awesome.
Speaker 3: It looked more of the same. I mean, it looked better, but I was like, yeah, this is kind of what I expected. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Their trailers are always just fun. Yeah, you know you're gonna get from that kind of game. But I like that they have fun with the trailer.
Speaker 3: I'd like to Fallout three to Wine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a good one. It's like what wait, wait, wait a minute, uh got Long Dark two? Getting enough smart?
Speaker 3: I know you like the long It looks cool because look, there are actually other people in the thing or you know, the survivors, so yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, people wanted another Final Fantasy character in Techan, but they got Clive and they got the best sixteen in tech and eight and he's coming next week. Does this make you want to go get tech in right now?
Speaker 2: But I know a lot of people are wanting teeth in it. Tifa wouldn't have.
Speaker 3: Got me to do. He's like the teeth is like the obvious choice because she's an actual like martial arts mark, you know, fighter like Clive, He's a sucking sword and techan is not a weapon. I mean he'd fit in like soul caliber but not teching.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like not made sense because he doesn't have to use his sword technic right.
Speaker 3: Well, no he did, but yeah, like he wasn't like married to it necessarily.
Speaker 1: It like warps in and out, so like you could technically like punch and all that stuff like Clive is. It's all about I guess, especially because he hardly uses his magic and it's not very effective.
Speaker 3: You can it's just pitiful.
Speaker 1: Right. Also, they had what is it? They had a lot of ads and I said tur Rock not being made by its original developers, thinking of a saber interactive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it original developer is long gone.
Speaker 1: Right, but I'm just saying, like, uh, and it's called Turk origins, So I guess this is them kind of like, if we can make this work, it'll become a series to start from here. This was the first one that was kind of like, Okay, we're going in a different direction here.
Speaker 3: I think has some name recognition of you know, in nostalgia. And the weird thing about Tarak is the only Turak game that actually is a dinosaur game is the first one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you excited about Turrock at all?
Speaker 2: I will see, I know, I mean, but like Mark said, like the name was there where, the game's very good not so we'll see what they kind of do with it. Hopefully they can have the whole franchise.
Speaker 3: But like one was cool, two had kind of cool weapons, but wasn't a good game, and then the rest of them were crash.
Speaker 1: Right right Annie Moosha way of the Sword.
Speaker 2: Oh man, So I'm very excited about that one.
Speaker 1: But if there's a time the thing is like twenty twenty six, I wonder if that's gonna be, like how are people gonna be feeling about those games after we already have another Ghost game by then, and also the Assassin's Creed Shadows by then too.
Speaker 3: By twenty twenty six, still won't be out, so that's kind of a misnomer, like U Onnie mush better have genre know back in it from Onia three. God damn it. That's all I can say.
Speaker 1: I mean, that would be cool if he was there, like a you know, cameo.
Speaker 2: That franchise people are we going? Are we going? Kind of in order? I feel like we've missed one. Oh yeah, Ring needs to be talked about, so go and talk about other Rings. But you still haven't gotten to the second biggest announce one of them.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: I told Jens about elden Ring and he was excited until I read up on it and told him what it was, and then that excitement dissolved instantly.
Speaker 1: But he gets he now it's a game where he plays with you, and that's the whole win of the game.
Speaker 3: I mean, elden Ring had online co op. I'm just saying, like.
Speaker 1: Now it's a co op game, so like, I mean, he can't play without you, but he can play with you.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's also a roguelike.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I didn't I didn't see that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a roguelike with like thirty minute long like missions because I don't think there's an open world necessarily like he like looked like a mission mission list.
Speaker 2: The biggest you're missing the biggest point that they brought up like five times. It's a standalone game, so it could be nominated without anybody throwing.
Speaker 3: A freight.
Speaker 2: To like they brought that up more than like you had to read the press release I figure out what kind of game it was. But I knew it was stand alone because I sure brought it up.
Speaker 3: I mean you, it was obviously it's kind of standalone because of all like the different ship they had in it, Like.
Speaker 2: Just the fact that they kept bringing it up just because of the controversial.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the controversy of of uh tree. It looks cool, but I don't really grint or get you in to play it hopefully.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And also the Joseph Fairs Yes game, the split fiction that to me was like looks so good. Yes, Like and you thought.
Speaker 2: Coming out in March, it's out in March.
Speaker 1: I'm February and March are going to be ridiculous again this year. It's it's insane. And like also the fact like if you thought it takes two was like too childish or something. This is definitely like hitting that different level on that and I love the fact that it's like it's going to change between fantasy and sci fi every time.
Speaker 2: And the fact that it sounds like it's a lot like it takes you where they have just ninety different Yes things, John, at every level is gonna be different and ever you're gonna just get all sorts of stuff and who knows what else are hiding from it. That whole company just kills it every single time. I've been waiting for what comes next from grossept Ferris and his and they did not disappoint with that.
Speaker 1: That review, I mean also his introduction to the the announcement also didn't disappoint. He was definitely so he's insane. Oh man, he's.
Speaker 3: Uh, what's your second most important thing? Randy?
Speaker 2: That was it? That was yeah, we know was my second favorite game announced to the whole.
Speaker 3: I think it's funny that guy has a brother named Faris Ferris.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yes he's an actor, but yeah, it's like what.
Speaker 1: And the two the two characters to his daughters with you, I knew a guy named Alan Allen. Yeah, Borderlands poor more Borderlands didn't do it.
Speaker 3: I saw a tweak from I think rock Kick or Shotgun. Who was like, oh, it's like the mean Venerator from twenty eleven. In my response was the fact that this that they're eighteen, you know, a thirteen year old joke joke, you know, environment speaks about a lot about borderlines of the franchise.
Speaker 1: I mean that's that was the problem of Borderlands three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just so played out. It's like, get out of their randy, not you. But you're like sense of humor is so awful in those games, and it just poisons all of it. Like the first game, it's arguably the best, even when I had the best gameplay, but it had like the least in one of that shit in it. It played it like fairly straight compared to like three or Tiny Tinas wonder Wonderland, what the hell that thing is called?
Speaker 2: Like come on, well, it's one of those things. I mean, we can get into a whole crazy discussion about it. But but yeah, the game play got a little bit better in like Borderlands too, But you're right, like that whole team went, oh, look at like everyone loves clap trap for the couple of jokes he did, and then they just run that one thing into the ground thinking, yeah, the only reason we played the game was for his clips.
Speaker 3: No, it was a.
Speaker 2: Breath of fresh air at the time, but you can run that to exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they went went completely in the wrong direction as far. Yeah, he got way overexposed, and like Tiny Teena got overexposed and Moxi got overexposed. These are characters that were best in very limited scenarios, not like I'm having their own game.
Speaker 1: Yea ye, yeah, no, for sure on that. Also, the talk about another FRA, I mean they hit. So there have been rumors for a while that there's gonna be a new virtual Fighter, but the fact that they got RGG to do the virtual Fighter and it looks really freaking cool, I don't I'm not like a fighting game versus that the way they made the look before we got to the fighting game for it looked awesome.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to watch the highlights of Maximilian watching this live stream for that moment because they kind of just hi hit the fact of what it was for a bit and you're trying to figure out what it is, and those that are into the fighting games, which I am not, probably lost their mind on the big reveal. So I was not watching his stream, but I'll be watching his highlights. I'm very excited for that moment, especially.
Speaker 3: You know they're going to put in uh kure you and Mama from youkuz in that fucking thing.
Speaker 1: I mean they need to you know, you can't do.
Speaker 3: They're just going to you know, you can't you.
Speaker 1: Can't do our DT. You're not going to put at least one Yakuza put in it. Yeah exactly. I feel like also, it's just like of all the people, I would have thought we're gonna have them do this, like talk about spot On because that's at first I thought was like, was there another like Hidden Lack a Dragon game that never got released and we're doing like the Cowboy version of this or like Cowboy version.
Speaker 3: Of that's a game that they announced product.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the yeah exactly, the project probably Century that was like nineteen fifteen Japan or yeah that looks cool too. So you know, uh, anything else you guys want to mention besides the the two big ones we haven't talked about yet.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to remember it. There's so much stuff. Out of all of the revivals and stuff, Double Dragon looked the worst.
Speaker 1: Oh that's that's been Uh, that looked that's been bad.
Speaker 2: And I have to say, I mean, for somebody that that dabbled in Telltale games from time to time, that's the best looking Telltale game I've ever seen. Oh yeah, oh my god, this tell Tale Yeah, holy crap?
Speaker 1: Is that for one way? Like the one thing that worries me is like, are we going down this road again where we've been delaying Wolf among Us? But then here we are working on another game? That are we working on it? Because now we got all these stars and here doing voices, and so now this is going to take press Wolf among Us because we will wait down that Wolf among Us game among Us two for a while, you know. So like I'm just worried about are we creeping into the old Telltale again? But uh, dude, that game looked amazing.
Speaker 3: You know, I thought that game she looked really good until I found out as a mobile game.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's I got so disappointed.
Speaker 3: Man, because I was like, oh, this looks like Shadow Mordor that's a Game of Thrones, and it's like I want to take get any any of the TV actors back, or you know, like yeah, and then you see looks the developer and it's like nope.
Speaker 1: It's like, come on, I thought we had finally licensed out a console game, you know, and then I guess, And then.
Speaker 3: Making a new Screamer game is hilarious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was another one I was kind of like, really, Also, the new game from the overcook devs stage ply look neat.
Speaker 3: Yeah as well too, so.
Speaker 1: Uh and that first Reserker Cason game from the Resent Brothers looks pretty cool also.
Speaker 3: To play stuff in this thing games, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Those are the ones that bring in the money to be able to do you know, like a bunch of ads in there.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that Withering Waves game is going to be very similar, even though it looks more like traditional RPG or whatever. But but yeah, let's let's get into like the two, because he basically did to one more things, right. He did the one that like right before game, He did the one like before he was going to get to the game of the year, and then and then he stops and goes, oh, well, it's a tech diniverse, We've got to have one more So. The first one is though kamed they call it o'camedy sequel. They don't call it o'camed too. Officially, and then it has the Decky Kamiya on there as he's got I don't know if he's he's gonna be involved with development or he's gonna be consulting or exactly.
Speaker 3: What he's running that Clover's team.
Speaker 1: So okay, So yeah, I mean that looks that's gonna be awesome. I loved Okami, so I think.
Speaker 3: I'll have some like dumb subtitle like whatever Japanese is for sequel, or it won't be guided into that side story.
Speaker 1: But right, but that's cool that that's happening. Uh. And then of course the huge reveal which Tarany's credit. I think he was just putting out there hoping that when they first started showing stuff, he goes Naughty Dog please.
Speaker 2: Mostly doing it as far as like the reveal, because they brought up Naughty Dog's name, as far as who was going to be there, and I knew just the voice actresses that were presenting was not anything. And we never got a Last of Us season two trailer, so I.
Speaker 1: Just they did do the Last of Us to remastered on PC.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I was like, that's not gonna be a reason why you say Naughty Dog would be there, So I just felt it's like it has to be at this point, man, especially once you kind of saw the faces. It was very Naughty Dog.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know a lot about the game. They showed one slight attack, but that was it. It looks amazing. Obviously Naughty Dog has never done me wrong in any other franchises. So very excited that we get another un dive into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did not think that when you see a space game, Naughty Dogs be the one doing that.
Speaker 3: So X all.
Speaker 2: Right, never mind never mind that they did they do X, but then did they give out they.
Speaker 1: That's that's when they were kind of like, Okay, we're done with this, but now but I mean, it's so awesome, like I think, yeah, no, I mean, so you go. I'm just saying, like, I think it shows that obviously, in some other year, Sony really had a lot to show. They probably would have done their own play station showcase and I had that here. But maybe it maybe it does show like how much Jeffs has been able to get a lot of people to kind of come together and understand that like, hey, let's make this a big thing, and for Sony to give this game that like nobody knew what this game was that was working on. We just knew they're working on some new I P and then for this to be like your one life thing, that's pretty amazing and I'm going.
Speaker 2: To be with everybody else. I'm going to give credit to Jeff for being able to get all of these reveals and have such a fantastic E three feeling show. But it also kind of shows that at least you know some of these developers and Naughty Dog and CD projects right and everyone else, Microsoft and Nintendo, we're kind of we're pretty quiet as far as this goes, but it's starting to the developers or at least are realizing that when you're revealing a game and just showing a tease, you need a live audience. Like it's fun for us to watch a PlayStation showcase or a Nintendo Direct and be shocked by a big reveal and we have that moment, but being able to watch that and hear the crowd in the background. That's what we loved about E three, the reveals and then the hypness of the crowd when it happens, like what was it twenty seventeen where Sony had all of those games that they were like shn Mu three and Fall Fast seven, Rebirth and all that stuff, and to the crowd going bonkers and bonkers throughout, that's what you needed. And that's when they noticed the witcher in the crowd going nuts, or they brought up the developer of those games, and you can kind of hear the crowd in the background start to get excited, like that's what Jeff is is bringing back, which we kind of lost after COVID and obviously E three was dying anyways, but since then, we weren't getting a lot of these live performance reveal shows other than what Jeff does, and I think a lot of these developers went we trusted Jeff plus just to be able to hear the crowd to react about a reveal we're going to go. It kind of gives us the goosebumps that were missing from the directs and the showcases and then whatever Xbox culs their stuff. So yeah, I think that was a big part of it, and it nailed it here as well, and that I mean hopefully that means that we'll get more.
Speaker 3: Stuff like this.
Speaker 2: But it was fantastic.
Speaker 3: This whole show is great. If you want that stuff, just Tono means to do this fake it, yeah, pump it over the audio?
Speaker 1: Well, Mark, do you have did you have any thoughts on Intergalactic as your.
Speaker 3: My only problem? And I imagine Radio will disagree when I say this is and this isn't an insult to the actress. Don't get I looked her up. But why are they having you play as an unattractive chick?
Speaker 1: I mean that's pretty I mean.
Speaker 3: I mean just use the model from uh, from Last of Us Part two, the one wasn't it like a bald kid in that one?
Speaker 2: Oh? I know you're talking. Remember what the brother and sister's name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, there may be other characters, and I'm sure this is not the only game we're going to meet in the entire.
Speaker 3: I hope so. But you know, I'm actually fantastic what you're talking about it. I mean, yeah, like I had a friend who measured to me like a trailer what's the ball check?
Speaker 1: There might be a reason for that. We don't know, right, We need to get more of the more of the story, more of what is actually this, you know, like maybe there's gonna be a dead diary next year that explains all this stuff.
Speaker 3: I just don't.
Speaker 1: Like, you know, I've learned time and time again, like, don't be judging things just by that revealed trailer because the game can change so much throughout the development. We don't even know where this game is in development when we're gonna see it.
Speaker 3: You know, that's fine. But I've also learned that most people like to play if they're gonna play as someone, they like to at least play as not maybe not overtly sexual, but at least aesthetically pleasing.
Speaker 2: I hate that's not horrible. I'm sorry, it's a horror to take.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's your case.
Speaker 2: Then why didn't celebrate.
Speaker 4: Win Game of the Year, Because I mean, that's that's that's exactly what was my thank you Randy for for making that point for me, because like I feel like, you know, metaphor wouldn't have you know, nobody complained about Hopenberg looking a certain way.
Speaker 1: Whatever? Why Because that whole cast is right, We're we're pointing fingers at a character that it's the only real character we've seen in the whole game. I don't think it's really fair to to be pointing that out. You know, there could be a whole there could be a party for all we know. You know, I'm just saying I feel like that's kind of unfair to do you know, to me, it's the same as to me, it's the same as complaining that you are playing as as somebody besides playing as a male in general.
Speaker 3: Why did they'll be looking sex appeal? There we go. I'm not saying it's like the primary thing. I'm just saying it is an aspect for some people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure it's the same rifters that are gonna complain that Siri is, uh, you know, the main character Witch are for. So to me, like, is there anything that you take away from this and go anything that Jeff can because he always tweaks something right. He really did go one eight from the police wrap it up to make sure we let them have time to talk too. I loved I know you mentioned it, Randy, but the Game Changer Award removing that I mean not saying that they don't deserve their time, but they always felt like such short shrift on the show. The future class stuff. Yeah, and especially the way that gaming journalism and gaming media is going where it's like almost disappearing for the most part, that's like really not needed anymore. We don't need to highlight that necessarily having somebody that is it's kind of the this person did a good thing in the industry this year, and he talked about layoffs. He talked about, Hey, this industry is going through a bad time right now, here's somebody that was helping people find jobs, and we're gonna honor that person. It's not like a I'm not they probably I wouldn't mind them going back to having like a Legends award also, but I think this is cool, Like, this is way better than having they still had it, but this is way better than having Creator of the Year and all that junk, like honor somebody that actually did something to help people in the industry that year and make that something worth almost kind of like that the NFL Man of the Year thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Jimmy Vee Award, and yeah, it creates more credibility. But to answer your question, the only thing that really still sticks to me, and it's tough to do because you have so many reveals that also blend in with yourmmercials, so it would almost and I honestly like, if I think back and try to remember, there were times where he said after this, we will have this in this So it kind of made it sound like, all right, here's a commercial break. But it would be nicer to basically even have the game awards returns in three minutes.
Speaker 3: Yea more have it more like formulaic or more so then you then you understand.
Speaker 2: So it's like, you're not going is this a reveal now, this is just a commercial for yeah, because some of.
Speaker 1: The commercials they kind of go between sneak.
Speaker 2: In and stuff, and I would like that, and obviously I'm sure those games are would be like, no, I want you to pay attention and hope I get it. But it's like, obviously those are what pay the bills, and it would be great, and I do think that. Again, they they hinted at it a few times of hey, after we pay the bills here, but just hey, hey we'll be back at three minutes. Here's some stuff that will pay the bills now, you know, and we'll be back kind of stuff. Because it is a very long show and I don't think you can really shorten it because what are you going to get rid of. We have to have their awards, we have to have the commercials to pay the bills and everyone. Well, but that's I mean, you want to say, it's in a word show Award shows all have the music stuff. One thing that the Oscars and stuff don't have, and the reason why they're not as long is because they don't have these big reveals. You don't get new movie trailers that are showing up on the Oscars. They do it, that's true differently, So it is one of those things where you're trying to make it as entertaining as possible. It's a very long show, so just to go, hey, commercial break, be back in three minutes. Here's your warning. Let us fay some bills. I think that'll be the best way to kind of clean things up. But other than that, I don't thought this was the best one by far that he has ever been able to put together. And even with that hour where once again he kind of front loads a lot of the reveals and then he saved the two at the end, we kind of had that low as far as the big reveals go. I was entertained the whole time, even during that section.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that last hour kind of dragged for a bit until we got to the the end with the reveals and then kind of like the the two Awards and all that stuff. Mark anything.
Speaker 3: He could have actually had a credits at the end, just like thanking the crew like that of a nice for the people like you working the goddamn thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's kind of weird considering that, like it's a YouTube thing, like you could literally just have credits scrolling at the end. It doesn't really, yeah.
Speaker 3: Instead of like when the ticker tape is like literally raining out from the ceiling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the same thing they do at other awards, you know, like when they when that final thing is happening, they're doing the credit stuff at the at the end. Like that's I like something he could put in. Yeah, yeah for me, Like that's that's the main thing. It's like he did that. Well he he kind of told you, oh, coming up next, we're gonna have this and whatever to kind of get you to stick around. That's my one thing. It's kind of like, really, do give more pronounced? These are commercials so that I'm not going, oh, is this kind of revealed? Do I need to take notes for this? You know?
Speaker 3: The Intel cu Yeah, well, but those were.
Speaker 1: Kind of like when they showed like you know that this is an Xbox thing, or they had a new commercial. I think they hadn't shown that second.
Speaker 2: One, but so spread them out a little bit.
Speaker 1: No, I just would want more, like I'd love for him to kind of go maybe behind the scenes a little bit and explain why he chooses certain awards over other ones. And maybe it has to do with the guests that he can get to represent, right Like, obviously, okay, you're gonna do Best Game directtionally because you got Goujima to show up, right or we didn't talk that, but Harrison Ford showing up to do to you know, be the surprise with at the beginning with with uh.
Speaker 2: Bringing up, Harrison Ford reminded me of one more thing we can fix. Get get a teleprompter that works. Obviously that it was not working for Harrison Ford and he got lost for a minute. They made jokes about it throughout the show, so obviously it's just a tech issue in it obviously had been tested.
Speaker 1: He also doesn't like doing the award shows or whatever anymore either.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's one thing I'm gonna say get. I mean, hey, he showed up. It's good for him, but get rid of these old actors showing up.
Speaker 1: No, but he makes sense. Okay, like when he when they had al Pacino, that.
Speaker 2: Was a total oh yeah, I can.
Speaker 1: Get al Pacino to show up. Like this actually made sense because he's Indiana freaking Jones and the game.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm going to be like, hey, we're releasing some DLC. Right, I voiced the character. But the game.
Speaker 1: Literally just came out like three days ago, Mark, so that it makes sense. They're promoting the game and Troy Baker's there.
Speaker 3: You know, having Troy Bakers there is good enough, haven't That'd be fine.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I'm good with it. You you still need the like that helps legitimize that show, regardless of whether you know, like I'm good. I would have been fine without the Soup Dog performance. I think Snoop Dogg being there with his son and talking about how they have a game dev studio whatever. I think that's great. I think that's cool for you to for people to know dogs just that dude.
Speaker 2: I think him being there and then just you know, revealing that would have been.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we didn't need that. We didn't need the performance for Sue do. It just kind of felt like totally like, all right, we're just doing this because we can get Snoop Dogg to say to do a new uh song that like, I don't think anybody really wanted to say.
Speaker 3: Was chanting for a second. That was awesome. Ye, but yeah, just taught you to came out and said, hey, we're bringing back fun respect that two thousand and four game that got canceled.
Speaker 1: But I think overall, I said it already at the beginning, like this is the best game awards. He's done, hands down. I want to see what happens. Also, it helped a lot that like it finally felt we have removed the shackles from most games that we announced that this thing has to be coming out next year. Now it's like it doesn't give up. It doesn't matter when they're coming out. We're just gonna try to the best games that we can show you.
Speaker 3: I think the only game that actually had like a firm release date, unfortunately was that Double Dragon thing.
Speaker 2: Now the Drift Affair.
Speaker 1: Kaz had a twenty seventh.
Speaker 3: The one year okay, a far out release date, let's say that then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I.
Speaker 2: Was talking to my wife when I was showing her some of the trailers afterwards that I it's one of those things and I'm sure it was somebody. I'm kind of funny that that brought this up within the last day or two that everyone is just waiting for Grand Theft Out of Six to say their release date so then they can figure out when they're going to release their game. I think so many of the release dates that we got on there was twenty twenty five because they feel like it's going to come out this year, but they don't want to say a date, and then Grand Theft at will go we're out that day too, and then you have to say we delay our game because we need to fix the bus.
Speaker 1: And it's like you can't. Not every game could be moved up right, So like you then have to delay out of the entire year because they're going to release the like November or October probably.
Speaker 3: Hopefully that'll be fun announce its in like October. Oh, we're delaying GT six twenty six instead. Sorry, they could.
Speaker 1: They very well could, because they've done that. Redwood, Red Deverdempshire two got delayed twice, so it's not out of the for them to delay it again. Even though the industry is gonna get gonna get upset because they're doing this. Will survive till twenty twenty five thing, and the Switch team's gonna do amazing, but they need GTA six. So that's I was surprised how quiet Nintendo was, like, this's nothing.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, Microsoft, I'm a little.
Speaker 2: Bit more surprised by Microsoft. Nintendo is full on in until we reveal this, whatever the new system is going to be called. I'm not calling the switch too, because it's not gonna be called the Switch because that's not Nintendo doesn't do numerals. But they are basically until until we reveal this, we are in just quiet mode.
Speaker 1: Now we're inportant mode.
Speaker 2: We have dumped out every possible thing we can put on the switch.
Speaker 1: We we we've.
Speaker 2: Hit the back stop, the backlog, and now it is just we're waiting for the switch.
Speaker 1: They literally get the backlog. They've even got Chronicles X Finally Donkey whatever the tropic whatever that is.
Speaker 3: That's coming on Metroid Prime Remastered two and three. But they did.
Speaker 1: They they finally revealed Metro Prime four, Doctor con Country Returns. Don't play Chronicles act like they literally are at the bottom of the barrel at this.
Speaker 2: We got a Peach game, we got a Zelda game. We're hitting everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've only got like what if the Zelda remasters are true and the other two Metroid Prime games, and it's like, oh, in the Pokemon game that's out there, the z A whatever game, you know.
Speaker 2: But I'll tell you this, I'm kind of glad we didn't get Nintendo because if they would have showed up and said, we have a new Star Fox game coming out on the Switch, I would have came on here and said that the next system's not coming out for another ten months. And they're desperate. Yeah, they got to fill out some space. So they're they're they're digging into right now.
Speaker 1: They have like till March. Every month has something big and then like March is where they're kind of like, okay, we might reveal the switch to like an April or May or.
Speaker 2: Something trailer to me, you're all excited about all these games here, here's whatever our system.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we let everybody else, you know, Day of the Devs and Postle Snack and now Game Awards like, oh now we got to be the final thing you get excited about the end of December. But no, just it is a pretty cool, like just okay, that's it. That's the last big show of the year, and it really feels like, Okay, we got some things to get excited about for whenever the heck they're gonna come out. But they delivered on that, and now everybody else can do their game Awards, game of the Year things, you know, game spot of what he did there was a metaphor I gn I think, did their nominees or whatever. But any any issues with who won awards, I guess before we get out of here, or do you feel like somebody got wrong?
Speaker 2: Honestly not. I mean, you know, obviously I am a big champion for Silent Hill two and the audio design, but I've not played I Held Wade two. I haven't downloaded on my Xbox. I just haven't gotten to it. I showed Sean my games I've played on Xbox this year. It's one game and it was back at January. My poor xboxes collected up. Yeah, so I thought that was the one that Silony Hill could win. Same with the voice actor, but again I haven't played help Blade, so I don't know her performance. But I thought the guy that played James and Silon Hill two absolutely killed it. I have no problem basically with the rest of them. Again, Metaphor is not my kind of game, but it sounds like it was absolutely fantastic, so giving it best RPG I have no problem with. Again, I'm still under that impression that they're kind of waiting for the third final Fantasy come out to give it the Lord of the Rings treatment unless the third one completely bombs and fails at everything it's been building up for these two games, and then it will not get any of that treatment. So honestly, out of all the awards that were given out, there was not one where I went, Wow.
Speaker 3: Really and look how wealth le interturn did man? Come on? It's gonnallow that pattern.
Speaker 1: I mean it came.
Speaker 2: Off of a bad game, all right, I mean just as well as thirteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to be fair, thirteen two might be the best of the bunch in that and that was the middle game, so you know, yeah, I mean, do you have any did you have any issues that all mark with the award winners?
Speaker 3: Or for me, I don't mind, uh asked about winning Game of the Year for this thing. I mean I would disagree with it. I don't. I don't like the winning game direction. I would prefer probably metaphor or even Rebury to me.
Speaker 2: Game Direction a Game of the Year are almost hand in hand. It's one of those awards where it's like secretly, yeah, which one's.
Speaker 3: Going to Game of the year. But that doesn't necessarily track for like the Golden Globes because there are occasional like differences there, or like movie director versus like, you know, Movie of the Year. So I would have been happier if something like that kind of happened, because my iad my problem is Astrobot is just like it doesn't. It's celebrating this history of Final or celebrating the history of PlayStation, but it doesn't have anything in it aside from the.
Speaker 2: Mechanics are great if you want to call that direction, I guess, but no, I I do understand where you're coming from. You could kind of give your second place off Game of the Year to game Direction because there were several fantastic games that could have deserved that.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Milenni Jurgen's becomes the first two time winner. Best performance by the way too for winning both times for Hull Blade. I feel like the hell, god, do I need.
Speaker 2: To play the first Hilpblade to enjoy the second HLP Blade?
Speaker 1: You do need to kind of understand the story, but you could also just watch a YouTube video.
Speaker 2: I might just do that seems like too much.
Speaker 1: So like the thing is like, you're gonna the only cool thing if you go straight to hell Blay two and you don't have played hell Bay one is all the stuff that hell Blay does with the audio design that it won for You're gonna get the shock to the system that you won't get if you've already played it with the first game, because it's still a lot of the same stuff. It's just bigger, grander, you know, so the graphics are prettier that kind of thing, whereas hell Blay one was really an indie game. Uh, and they did all that stuff, and that's what was so amazing about it. That's where I'm kind of like, I'm fine with it winning because obviously it does have amazing audio design, but what they do with Silent Hill two is just it's such a like to me, it felt special.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to get to the Yeah, and if you're wearing headphones that I thought they absolutely killed the audio design. But that was I mean, now it's just my personal taste. I haven't played that play, so again, there's not one that I went, wow, really that that's the winner. But what about you, Sean, did you have one?
Speaker 1: No, Like I figured as soon as everybody was lauding metaphor and it was getting the the critic, the metacritic and Open Critic were like right there next to rebirth, I knew that it was gonna win all the categories rebirth was in because it was a lot newer, it was more recent, people didn't have a problem with the Metaphor doesn't have the bloat problem that rebirth gave people. And and yeah, I know what you mean, but there's a lot of people that did have the bloat. And then you know, the whole thing of like reverse story is not technically concluded, right, whereas metaphors is a whole story from the beginning to end. So I can kind of understand all that. I am glad the rebirth won for me music at least, where like I felt like sixteen got robbed last year. So you know, I'm glad that pop fantasy just didn't get er for on everything. That's the only to me, that was the only thing, and I honestly, to me, can we get rid of the most anticipated category? It is the most ridiculous category that exists, Like, can we could do something else with that, like give it to something else that actually deserves to have a category. I don't know, like best Expansion or.
Speaker 2: How about something. Well, you can only be nominated for for most Anticipated Game if you're going to reveal a big trailer that that will then be announced right after they give out the winner. So it's like most Anticipated Game, Grand Theft Thought of six and here's the trailer.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, what they should have done is had Sam Howser come out in GTA six win and him to go, yeah, I'll try to have it out next year and we'll see.
Speaker 1: Right, that's the thing. I think everybody will win. An it's like, is it really gonna come out next year? But yeah, you know from here, Uh, we're gonna do a record episode on Monday. I just wanted to go ahead and knock this out because by the time we get to Monday, everybody's kind of you don't really care about hearing about the actual show. You're just like reveling in the announcements, and you know it is what it is, Like we've already had all the big releases at this point, essentially, so go play your Indiana Jones, go play whatever you want. I'm gonna go playing them and join the crap out of Indiana Jones. It actually made me go watch Rais the Last Arc again.
Speaker 3: Because I'll go back to playing the true game of the year Infinity Nikki.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one you should have. I'm telling you should have. Addie and and and your wife played that together. But they would enjoy it probably.
Speaker 2: I watched that trailer. I had not even heard of this game until also it was getting a bunch of buzz or two ago. I watched that trailer that they showed on the game Wars. I what I don't understand, but yeah, it has a lot of cute stuff, so maybe Audi would be into it.
Speaker 3: It's weirdly like Mario Odyssey when you just played Dress Up a Lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you played Breath of a Lot. It's like it's got platforming, so she's so you know.
Speaker 2: To look into it.
Speaker 1: And it's free. You don't have to buy anything, so I mean, it.
Speaker 3: Hasn't gotcha game, but it's very limited. It's very like kind of off to the wall or off to the side, like you don't necessarily have to do that crap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's never gonna get to a point where she's your credit card number.
Speaker 1: The plan I think is probably going to be I'm gonna wait until after Christmas at least to do the Game of the Year stuff. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I have a big backlog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too. I have a big backlog that I'm hoping I can get to even though I don't get the days off that a lot of people do to go just play all day. But you know, still it's fool to be able to do that during the holidays or whatever. And then we'll do our probably like most anticipated for next year, somewhere probably before then, now that they've added more things for us to be excited about for next year, and then we'll go from there. So thank you Randie for being on this one, thanks for inviting me, and you know, we'll see y'all later on Monday. Everybody, enjoy what