Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: Well, hello up there, it's five o'clock, straight up. This is your wake up call for Friday, November twenty second. Good morning, I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Happy to have you along with us this morning as we get our day started. I'm enjoying my second cup of coffee. We'll see how that goes. No, I'm not really affected by coffee that much, are you? Like some people?
Speaker 4: I know?
Speaker 1: Just like you know what. Michael Monks is one of our reporters, and he's been running around the office. He's like, I'm having a for coffee day, and you can tell that it really affects him. I don't know that it really affects me. We got a lot going on today, so let's get right to it. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. President elect Trump has picked former Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi to be his Attorney general in his next administration. His previous pick, Former Florida Representative Matt Gates, took his name out of the running. He's accused of having sex with a minor. Gates denies it, but says his nomination had become a distraction. We're going to find out what happens to Gates now and Bondi's chances of getting approved with kfi's White House correspondent John Decker, that's coming up in just a couple of minutes. Governor Newsim is going to visit the counties that voted for President Elect Trump this election. The governor apparently hopes to reach out to working class voters in the Central Valley who are frustrated by the economy, including Fresno, Caloosa, and Kern Counties to Laurie Kern, San Bernardino and other inland counties also supported Trump over Vice President Harris. The Thanksgiving travel crushes already begun. Travelers at LAX are running into delays and cancelations. The TSA says it expects more than eighteen million people will go through checkpoints through December. Second. We're going to find out how bad it's going to get. With kfi's Jason Campedonia coming up at five point thirty and first we had Barbenheimer. Well now it's glicked. The first time I heard this was today Glicked. Yeah, gladiat or two and wicked. ABC's Willgan says it's going to be a big weekend at the box office. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news room. Forecasters are warning that the risk of flash flooding and rocksides will continue in northern California as a major storm moves through. It's already caused two deaths and knocked out power to hundreds of thousands of people in Washington and Oregon. Up to sixteen inches of rain is forecast in northern California and southwestern Oregon. I better call my mom, she's in southwest Oregon. An LAPD motorcycle officer's been hurt in a crash on the four h five freeway in the Supulvita Pass. The crash yesterday caused all lanes to be shut down for a while near Skirball Center Drive. The officer was taken to the hospital. The LAPD says his injuries are minor and he's expected to recover. News brought to you by Semper Solaris USC economics professor says brace yourself. Higher gas prices are coming.
Speaker 5: Professor Michael Miche has been at the Marshall School of Business for decades, and he wrote recently the new gas regulations in the state will hit everyday people directly.
Speaker 6: The average consumer, the average California will have to reallocate how they spend their money. They'll be a little bit less maybe going out on entertainment, a little bit less travel.
Speaker 5: The state's newly tightened fuel standards could push gas prices upwards starting next year, with some estimates showing more than sixty cents per gallon.
Speaker 3: Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Sixty cents per gallon. I did notice the gas prices dropped just a schmidge. It was down to like four forty the other day, but that's still sixty cents a gallon increase. Pasadena police are trying to find the guy who groped a twelve year old girl at a bus stop. The girl was allegedly assaulted on her way to school Wednesday as she sat on a bench. Police say the man took off down Lake Avenue on a bicycle. The girl called her mother when she got to school and then police were called. Police have not put out a description of the man. The Thanksgiving travel crush has already begun. Travelers like this guy at LAX told KTLA that he was trying to get a jump on the holiday crowds but ran into delays.
Speaker 3: Is his expected, Its busy time.
Speaker 1: His flight to Cancun was canceled, so.
Speaker 3: We're getting rebooked.
Speaker 6: So yeah, it's going to be a couple hours easily.
Speaker 1: The TSA expects nearly eighteen million people will be flying around for the holiday. The Dodgers show, Hey Otani. He has been named the National League Most Valuable Player. The vote yesterday by the Baseball Writers Association of America was unanimous. Otani became the first major league player this year to ever hit fifty home runs and steal fifty bases in a single season. He won the MVP in twenty twenty one and twenty twenty three in the American League during his time with the Angels. It's five seven on your Friday morning wake up call. Let's say good morning now to ABC's White House correspondent John Decker. So, John, a lot has happened since we talked yesterday morning. And at this time yesterday we were talking about some of the challenges that Matt Gates was facing in his nomination for attorney general. That's changed.
Speaker 7: Well, there were real challenges, absolutely, Amy, and yesterday when we spoke, I predicted that Matt Gates would not be in that role of a nominee to leave the Department of Justice for much longer. And a few hours after we spoke, that's exactly what happened. Matt Gates took himself out of consideration to leave the Department of Justice. And then last night we already have a replacement, Donald Trump indicating that he will nominate former Florida Attorney General Pam Bondy. She served two terms as Florida's Attorney general as his nominee to lead the Department of Justice.
Speaker 1: Now, she didn't serve in the first Trump administration, but she's always been a big Trump supporter.
Speaker 7: Oh, absolutely, Going all the way back, Amy to twenty sixteen, there was a competitive primary for the Republican nomination, you may recall, and Pam Bondy she endorsed Donald Trump over her home state US Senator Mark Rubio. Donald Trump rewards loyalty. He remembers that she was considered for attorney general in his first term, ultimately was passed over. But this is her time, this is her moment, and I think that she will win confirmation.
Speaker 1: Any skeletons in her closet that we know about.
Speaker 7: No, you know, she is a conservative, no doubt about that. You know, there are senators who will pass judgment on her nomination who may not like her politics, may not like her ideology, but they cannot knock her experience. She has served more than twenty years as a prosecutor. That is good experience to have if you're going to be the chief law enforcement officer of the country. And of course she's managed an enormous legal office when she was attorney general for the state of Florida. So I think that, you know, she may even get some bipartisan support as it relates to this nomination.
Speaker 1: Hey, in the past, and I don't know if you can answer this, but it's asking you to go back into the wayback machine. But in the past, when presidents would nominate their cabinet members, did they usually get bipartisan support? Like with Supreme Court justices, it used to be that they got a lot of bipartisan support. But in the last few cycles. It hasn't been that way. It's been really polarized.
Speaker 7: Well yeah, I mean, look, you mentioned Supreme Court Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg got unanimous support Republicans and Democrats way back in the nineties when she was nominated. Same thing with Justice Anton and Scalia. Things have changed dramatically. I think that, you know, if you look back to the Supreme Court nominations of Donald Trump, he got the support of Joe Manchin, a Democrat. But that's about it.
Speaker 6: And as it.
Speaker 7: Relates to cabinet nominees, typically there is some bipartisanship. You know, it can't It is not always along party lines, and there will be some nominees for Donald Trump that do get bipartisan support.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So I'm going to go all conspiracy theory on you and see what see your take on it. So I think that that Trump nominated Matt Gates knowing that he couldn't get him confirmed, but wanted to, as you mentioned, reward his loyalty. So he put him up knowing that there was no way it was going to happen, and now he can nominate the person he really wanted, which was Pam BONDI.
Speaker 7: Well, look, I can't get inside of Donald Trump's head, nor could you Amy, So I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm just speculating.
Speaker 7: The strategy is. But having said all that, he did work the phones trying to get Matt Gates over the finish line. That was his first choice. He wanted Matt Gates leading the Department of Justice, and it wasn't meant to be for Matt Gates because of his ethics problems, and he quickly, you know, went with the backup number two. And you know, I think that he's going to be pretty satisfied with Pam Bondi leading the Department of Justice, someone that he's known for quite some time. I think he's known her longer than he's known Matt Gates. And he rewards loyalty, and she has been very loyal to Donald Trump, not only when he was running for president back in twenty sixteen, but during the course of his four years in office as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then now the Gates is out, does he have any options because he's resigned from the House.
Speaker 7: Well, it's interesting because he has resigned from the one hundred eighteenth Congress he was elected to the Congress this past November a few weeks ago. He could actually be sworn in into the one hundred nineteenth Congress if he wishes to do that, but he's got this ethics report hanging over his head, so I don't think he's going to do that. There's going to be an opening for the US Senate seat in Florida with Marc Rubio leaving the Senate to be the next Secretary of State. There's that, but that's up to the governor. And then, of course he could potentially be a part of the Trump administration, but not in a role that requires tenant confirmation. So those are the options that he has if he wants to continue being a public servant. Of course, he could just go, you know, turn around, be a lobbyist, make a lot of money in the private sector. And my guess is that's what I think Matt Gates is ultimately going to do right away.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we'll be watching him. ABC's White House correspondent John Decker, thank you so much.
Speaker 7: Thanks, Amy, have a great weekend.
Speaker 1: Talk to you soon.
Speaker 8: Bye bye.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Rap mogul. Sean Combs is due back in court today for a bail hearing in New York City. Kfi's Natalie Migliori says this is his third try getting out of jail. Is already denied bail in September and November, but his attorneys are.
Speaker 4: Expected to offer the same fifty million dollar baill package in exchange for an ankle monitor and home confinement.
Speaker 1: His attorneys say a video showing Comb's beating up his ex girlfriend was edited to manipulate the narrative. Combs's charged with sex trafficking and racketeering. He's deniedal charges. UCLA has been given a twenty million dollar grant to help implement California's first wireless charging roadway. It will allow electric passenger shuttles and heavy duty buses to charge wirelessly while they drive down the street. UCLA Transit and Fleet Director Clinton Bench says the technology is a game changer.
Speaker 9: The bus is actually able to communicate with the charger, identify itself literally in seconds, and allow for that charge to begin so that we're not wasting any electricity.
Speaker 1: The initiative is funded by Cap and Trade, auction proceeds and vehicle registration fees. The new transit hub is expected to open in twenty twenty eight. The country's first public electric vehicle churm Urging roadway, opened last year in Michigan. The United Nations Humanitarian Office has warned of a stark increase in the number of households in central and southern Gaza that are experiencing severe hunger. They say they often only eat once a day, and experts say a full blown famine may be underway in the north. Israel says it allows enough aid to enter, but humanitarian groups say Israeli restrictions, ongoing fighting, and the breakdown of law and order pose major obstacles to getting that food distributed. Dozens of members of Congress are urging President Biden to use the rest of his term to address the issue of mass incarceration. South Carolina Democratic Congressman James Clyburn says Biden should use his clemency authority to cut some long prison sentences.
Speaker 10: So many people who are serving extensive sentences today are there because of crimes that have really.
Speaker 1: Lawmakers and a letter also requesting Biden grant clemency to felons who are elderly chronically ill and not considered a threat to public safety. The US Capital Christmas tree is arriving this morning. Its name is Spruce Wayne Jeez. It's traveled thousands of miles to Washington, d C. All the way from Alaska. The eighty foot tall Sitka spruce comes from the Tongas National Forest. It will have five thousand led lights and more than five thousand ornaments on it, topped by a star that measures more than four feet by five feet. The lighting at the US Capitol is set for December third. You know, it's set for tonight. Tim Conway Junior broadcasting live at the brand new Wendy's in Mission Viejo. It's at twenty three twenty two Alicia Parkway. Tim's going to be there from four to seven because we're promoting Pastathon. You can come by and say hi, donate five dollars or more in store and get a coupon book. It's all to raise money for the fourteenth annual KFI Pastathon. Jeff Bruno's charity, Katerina's Club, provides more than twenty five thousand meals every week to kids in need in southern California. And we can't do it without you. That's why we'd love for you to come by. Stop by, say hi to Tim, and like I said, donate five bucks or more and you'll get a coupon book. If you can't make it by today, you could also check out the fork Report. He's going to be out during his show tomorrow from two to five. After in the afternoon, he'll be broadcasting live at the Smart and Final in Lake Forest. That's the one at twenty three six thirty one El Toro Road. Come by shop for your Thanksgiving, say hi to Neil, and donate any amount to the KFI pastathon in store at checkout. You can also donate online at KFI AM six forty dot com slash postathon. I know that one hundred percent of your donation goes directly to Katerina's Club. Oh and don't forget, we're going to be broadcasting live from the Anaheim White House on Tuesday, December third. That's Giving Tuesday. We're going to be out there starting with wake up call at five, then Gary and Shannon, and then John and Tim and Moe all the way through ten pm. You can donate on site, drop off some pasta, say hi, I we'd love to see you. There could be a lot of very sick people this winter. A new report from the CDC says roughly thirty five percent of US adults have gotten their flu vaccine and just eighteen percent have gotten an updated COVID vaccine. RSV vaccination rates are also low. The CDC says a lot of unvaccinated adults do say they still plan to get their shots. More than twelve hundred residents in Sun Valley and Pacoima are going to share a nearly sixty million dollars settlement against the DWP. The lawsuit claims residents were exposed to a gas leak at the Sun Valley Generating Station because DWP failed to perform adequate equipment inspections and notify residents of possible gas leaks. Show hey Otani has won his third MVP award. The Dodger star hitter made history by becoming the first fifty to fifty player in the major leagues. He finished this with fifty four home runs and fifty nine stolen bases darn close to sixty sixty huh. The vote was unanimous. The star slugger is expected to start pitching for the Dodgers in twenty twenty five at six oh five, it's handled on the news. Matt Gates is out, a longtime loyalist is in as President Elect Trump's pick for Attorney General. Popular. You're gonna be popular.
Speaker 3: I'll teach you the proper.
Speaker 1: I think this movie is going to be very popular. It's, of course Wicked, long awaited, and yesterday we had estimates that it was expected to bring in one hundred million dollars over the opening weekend. Well last night it brought in twenty and that was just in previews. So now they've up those estimates to one hundred and thirty million dollars in its opening weekend.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: If you haven't heard of Wicked, okay. It stars Ariana Grande, Cynthia Arrivo, Jeff Goldblum as the Wizard. Uh, the woman who still doing everything everywhere all at once, Michelle Yo love her.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: There's the voice of Peter Dinklage, and then also Jonathan Bailey and I was like, where is he from? He's from Bridgerton. So and that's just a few oh and then Saturday Night Lives Bow and Yang is also in it. So Nick and I went to see it yesterday and it was a sold out theater. As we understand it, it's the backstory leading up to the Wizard of Oz, based on the book Wicked and also on the Broadway musical starring Kristin Chennow with and Adina Mazzelle and Nick. I don't know if you agree. We talked about the movie a little bit afterwards. I thought it was beautiful, like the world they created is spectacular. Visually stunning is actually I wrote notes down and that was one of the things I said. And then the lead characters, I mean, you know they can sing, but they can sing.
Speaker 2: And it's the thing that they can sang, right, And the two things that I say, visual stunning and the thing you and I did talk about. The thing that's the most exciting thing to me is these sets were practical sets. And what that means is these are not Now they may be enhanced by CGI in post production, but they're all built sets. So it's just like back when they created the original Wizard of Oz. They're real practical sets. So when you see the film and you see them pick up a prop, it's not created in a computer. It may be enhanced in the computer, but they're actually there. So there's a sequence that you've seen in the commercials. That's a train. That's this big, beautiful green train. It's a real train that they go on. It's incredible and it's on its way to OZ. But it's a real train that you see them get on. It's a huge I forget how many tons, it's like fifteen ton train that they built for this for the movie. Yeah, they actually get on. It's not a fake train. It's a real train that they get on.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's kind of cool in today because in some of the previews, because there's like a half an hour of previews, so brace for that. But in one of the previews, I went, oh, that looks really great and Nick goes, that's not a real person and I was like what and he's like, that's animation. It's how to Train Your Dragon, And yes, I thought it was a real person. So I'm imagining that that whole world is sort of CGI and animation. So it's really fun to see them actually use physical sets.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was really really cool. It's so cool to see them manipulate everything like that. But yeah, it just it really and the other thing too, to go back to the singing part, John Cho Cho choe cho.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I'm feeling horrible here. Director.
Speaker 2: Anyway, he required them to sing, so they had to sing on set, so everything it had to be sung live, you know what.
Speaker 3: Everything was done.
Speaker 1: That is so interesting because while the show was going, I was like, Wow, they really look like they're singing, because in some shows you see that there are lots of musicals you see that their lips sinking, and in this one, you really get to feel the feeling that they're in there, they're in their character and they're singing. So that was fun. Okay, we got to address one thing. Yeah, make sure you go to the bathroom first because it is long.
Speaker 3: It's two hours and forty minutes.
Speaker 1: Plus the half hour of previews and I didn't even take a bathroom break. I was pretty impressive with myself.
Speaker 6: Yeah no, I was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay. So, and here's the thing that Nick and I also talked about. We don't want to tell you anything about it because even though I saw the show Wicked, it's been like over ten years, so and of course I have the memory of a nat But even though I saw the show, I didn't know what to expect from the movie. So I think that I think, just go see it. I mean, it is long, but it is it's fun, it's funny, it's sad. I wasn't the only one crying in the theater. There's this one scene where Cynthia Rivo is so powerful, like you see the pain in her eyes. I was like, oh my God, like it was. She did such a good job with that. And I don't want to tell you the scene. I don't want to tell you what happened, but I'm gonna guess that at some point you'll be crying too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and not to not to pull back the curtain. This is my fourth time seeing it because I got to go to a few special previews and special piece.
Speaker 8: But I.
Speaker 2: Only say that because I too missed the you know, fourth time through in the last two almost three weeks of seeing these previews, and it still is emotional. So I'm saying it's still even though it's a long film, even though that there's a lot involved with it, it still tugs at your heartstrings and gets you each and every time. And that's what's even more important. Yeah, So I mean that for me, it's worth your time, and especially with Thanksgiving coming up and you're looking for something to do.
Speaker 3: You know it's well worth it, and buy.
Speaker 1: Your seats in advance because it's expected to be really busy. And if you haven't seen Wicked, you probably you probably know the story. You don't have to have seen the stage show to see the movie, obviously, but you should see the Wizard of Oz or at least know the story because there are so many things that happen that are little aha moments that refer back to the Wizard of Os or you go, oh, that's that's why that happened. So I love backstory movies that kind of reveal why things are the way they are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's lots of Easter eggs here. And if you have not seen Wicked in person, it is coming to the Pantagious on December fourth, so you can actually kind of two for it. You can see it in theaters and on the stage coming up here really.
Speaker 1: Soon, which I think is fabulous because again I saw it first on stage and that was more than ten years ago, and I remember coming out of the theater just loving, loving, loving it and going when are they going to make a movie. So it took more than ten years, but they did it. Also, there are a couple of songs. Of course, there's popular, which is it's a catchy little tune it I was singing it all night when I got home, just humming it away. It was one of those earworms. And they're worried that people are going to sing it in the theaters and wreck the experience for people, so they actually are putting up signs and saying, hey, you guys, don't sing okay, but there is an opportunity for you to sing away with everybody. And it's coming on day, right, nick yep, that's correct.
Speaker 2: So starting on Christmas Day, you'll be able to book tickets for sing along shows exclusively. And now we'll run into the new year, so that'll be coming to Regal theaters, AMC Theaters, and a couple of Harkins and a couple of other theaters around the country. So it's gonna be like a tailor for fifty y soon, eight hundred percent absolutely with the lyrics on the screen and everything. In case you are new to the Wicked franchise and I don't know all the lyrics, so I thank you there for you.
Speaker 1: If you don't know the songs, I think you're going to Oh you will love them, and I just this is one of my favorite notes. It's a great movie. Good luck getting tickets though. Phillips sixty six, which has a refinery in Carson, has been indicted on six federal counts of illegal dumping. The Texas based petroleum company allegedly dumped nearly one hundred thousand pounds of oil and grease into the La County sewers between November of twenty twenty and February of twenty twenty one. They're facing millions of dollars in fines if found guilty. An eighteen year old is pleaded not guilty to attempted murder charges and connection with the stabbings of three people. Poli say va Hey Virginian got into a fight with several men following a road rage incident in Glendale on Sunday night. Three men were stabbed, all of them survived. Virginian was arrested on Tuesday. Wicked has already taken in twenty million dollars at the box office, and that was just from previews. It's now expected to fly off the handle with one hundred and thirty million dollars in ticket sales in its opening weekend At six oh five. It's handled on the news. It doesn't have any teeth, but the International Criminal Court has issued an arrest warrant for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Nettan Yahoo. And as I just mentioned, and Wicked is in theaters. We already had Barbenheimer. Will Glicked be as popular popular you're gonna be? Yeah, it's gonna get stick stuck in your head, I promise you. Let's think Good morning too, KFI is Jason Campedonia. Good morning Jason.
Speaker 11: Good morning Amy.
Speaker 3: And I love that song already.
Speaker 1: Oh well, we went and saw Wicked last night. We were just talking about it and I had that in my brain all night. It's one of those earworming kind of stories or songs. Okay, so today, let's talk about holiday travel because it's not even Thanksgiving week, but the travel season is well underway.
Speaker 3: Oh, it has begun.
Speaker 11: People are taking the week off of work and making it a Thanksgiving week celebration versus just the Thursday, actual holiday celebration. We're seeing some delays at airports across the country. Obviously, weather impacting a lot of travel. Up in the Pacific Northwest, we're having that bomb cyclone atmospheric river, lots of rain. Everything is wet and soggy.
Speaker 8: Roadways they are terrible.
Speaker 11: If you watch the football game last night between the Browns and the Steelers, you saw a pretty heavy snowstorm come in late in the game. So that's affecting travel in that part of the country.
Speaker 8: And here's the thing.
Speaker 11: Triple A is saying that about eighty million people are going to start traveling starting today over the next couple of days. They believe that Tuesday is going to be the heaviest day. They feel that about Tuesday, fifty people of seventy million people are going to be traveling about fifty miles or more to get to their destination via car. They also say that Tuesday, between the hours of one and seven PM, avoid the roadways as much as possible. I always like that, Yeah, yeah, I always liked that graphic from the television news stations that show, you know, the four or five that's backed up four miles. It's like Castayic all the way down to Orange County. It's just red lights everywhere. And so, yeah, Tuesday evening is going to be a nasty one. And you know the I cover this stray every year. You know, people traveling for the holiday, blah blah blah. The old adage is, you know, pack your patients. I've turned it into a drinking game. Just be nice out there, that's like the biggest thing.
Speaker 8: Just be nice. Be courteous to the person who you're dealing with at the gas station or the ticket counter or whatever it is, because they're dealing with a lot of jerks out there, So just be nice, give yourself plenty of time, and everything should be okay.
Speaker 1: Oh, Jason, I think you're asking for too.
Speaker 11: Much, you know it. Kindness is free, right exactly.
Speaker 1: I totally agree, And I don't like the catchphrase pack your patients, but I mean it's true, right, You got to be because there's nothing you can do when you get to the ticket counter. Or you can be a jerk, or you can be nice.
Speaker 11: Right right, or you can just be nice and it's okay. And if you give yourself plenty of time and eat something before you get to the airport so you're not angry when you're talking to the ticket counter people, you know, have a snack, Maybe lay off the booze early in the morning, just because you can have a whiskey sour at seven o'clock.
Speaker 8: In the morning doesn't mean you should.
Speaker 11: Have a whiskey sour at seven o'clock in the morning. So just take it easy, and you know, remember you're not the only one out there. It's not only about you, it's about everybody trying to do the same thing exactly.
Speaker 1: And Jason, we talked about the time to stay off the road, But if you're flying, is there any good time to fly next week? Like, if you have any last minute plans, is there anything?
Speaker 11: Probably Monday evening into Tuesday morning is probably going to be your best bet.
Speaker 6: Wednesday morning, try to avoid that.
Speaker 11: That's going to be the heaviest day at the Airport's lax, you know, like I said, you know up in the Pacific Northwest getting hammered by a lot of rain. So if you are traveling, make sure you're googling where you're going in again, give yourself plenty of time. But Wednesday morning is going to be the heavy travel day at the airports. And that's across the country. So if there's a snowstorm and you're going to Chicago, you know, maybe maybe look at some alter alternative plans just in case, so you're prepared.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I was looking at a story out of Triple A about when is the you were talking about worst times to drive, and one of the roads in and out of LA made the list of like the worst across the country, and that is the LA to Bakersfield route along the five. And they're saying on Wednesday night, like at seven forty five, it's going to take you like three and a half hours to get through that space.
Speaker 11: You know, it takes you three and a half hours to get through downtown LA some days as well, And that's one of the things that you know, we have to worry about. We here in Los Angeles, and it's such a densely populated area that getting in and out of LA can can turn into a three and four hour run. With one flat tire, you are one car accident away from being hours late to getting to your destination.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're not even out of town and you're already ticked off.
Speaker 11: Right exactly, and then it ruins it for everybody. And then you know, the kids are in the backseat and they're just quiet because you know, dad's all pissed, and it's like, all right, come on, let's just take it, take it easy, take the chill, pill and just relax.
Speaker 1: The people flying, do we know where they're going, Well.
Speaker 11: I mean they're going to over the hills and then through the woods to Grandma tell Oh.
Speaker 1: But like top destinations, you might not have that at your finger.
Speaker 11: I do not have that at my fingertips.
Speaker 3: But it's a good question.
Speaker 1: Well, you can do your research and come back next week. No, the one that I know of, actually one of the top destinations in the country is la and Anaheim. So there's a lot of people getting out of town, but there's a lot of people coming to town too.
Speaker 4: That you are.
Speaker 11: A Disneyland fan and that's the reason why they're going to Anaheim. Everybody is trying to do that. I'll tell you a quick tip on actual Thanksgiving.
Speaker 3: Not very farmer is dead.
Speaker 1: Oh right, yeah, okay, So if.
Speaker 11: You're looking for something to do, it's not Disneyland, but it is something that you can treat too. That's very farm It's fantastic, especially if you've got kids in that camp Snoopy age.
Speaker 3: It's really great.
Speaker 11: Go go kill a few hours and then come home and you know, you can also get the Thanksgiving dinner there from the restaurant, and that's very farm restaurant there.
Speaker 3: It's really great.
Speaker 1: They do have good food there. They have good food, and of course it's not Mary Farm now, so it's all decorated for Christmas. That's that's a great.
Speaker 11: Idea, right. And I think it's the lard that they use there. I don't think anything is skinny anything.
Speaker 1: It's not supposed to be healthy. It's Thanksgiving, all right, Jason Campdonia, thank you so much. Pack your patience. But I like your best advice actually is just be kind. I love that. Okay, we'll talk to you again soon, Thanks, Amie. All right, thanks, Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Two female athletes have sued their high school in Riverside, claiming their rights were violated when an official compared their save Girls' Sports t shirts to a swastika. The cross country runners at Martin Luther King High say they had the shirts printed after a trans athlete was placed on the varsity team and that displaced one of the girls. They say an official told them to take the shirts off because wearing them was like displaying a swastika in front of Jewish students. President elect Trump is named former Attorney General of Florida Pam Bondi to be US Attorney General after Matt Gates dropped out yesterday. Bondi's a longtime Trump ally and was one of his lawyers during his first impeachment trial. She's also been critical of the criminal cases against Trump. Bondi has been a chair at the America First Policy Institute, which a think tank which is a think tank set up former President Trump's administration staffers. Governor Newsom plans to visit parts of the state that voted for President elect Trump. He started in Fresno yesterday and says he understands there's a disconnect between economic reports and the way people feel.
Speaker 12: They feel like the economy is not nourishing, and there was that gap between what some perceived this performance and perception the live reality of people feeling on edge, unmoored, uneasy.
Speaker 1: Newsom told The New York Times he also plans to visit Kern and Calusa Counties. He has been touted as a possibly early contender for the Democratic presidential nomination in twenty twenty eight. Some things might be cheaper to gobble this Thanksgiving.
Speaker 13: The new report shows prices for Several Thanksgiving items, including pumpkin pie mix, frozen peas, and sweet potatoes, have dropped since twenty twenty three. Turkey prices have also decreased by about six percent, but processed items like stuffing, Cranberry's and dinner rolls are expected to cost more this year. The American Farm Bureau Federation has to It's a Thanksgiving dinner for ten will cost fifty eight dollars and eight cents. That's down five percent from twenty twenty three. Mark Ronner KFI.
Speaker 1: News, Hey, the holidays are here at the Disneyland Resort, and KFI wants to give you the chance to enjoy the wonder, joy and magic of the season. It is the most magical place on earth. Right now you can experience the world of color, season of life. It's light rather, it's a night time spectacular at Disney California Adventure Park. Over at Disneyland Park, rediscover holiday classics like at Christmas Fantasy Parade. It's a really fun one and so much more, including the nighttime fireworks Spectacular. Keep listening to KFI for your chance to win a four pack of one day one park tickets to Disneyland Park or Disney California Adventure Park what weekend maybe on the way. The National Weather Service says there's about a thirty percent chance of rain late tonight and early tomorrow morning, and then that chance of rain increases to seventy percent by tomorrow afternoon. Rainfall totals in La and Ventura Counties expected to remain relatively low. Police are searching for a man who allegedly groped a twelve year old girl at a bus stop in Pasadena. The girl was grabbed at about nine thirty Thursday morning at the Lake Avenue Metro train station. She was waiting for a bus to take her to school. The guy who groped her fled on a bicycle. Democratic challenger Derek Tran has added another eighty three votes to his oh so narrow lead over Republican Representative Michelle Steele in the forty fifth congressional district race. Tran is now four hundred and eighty votes ahead of almost three hundred and thirteen thousand votes cast four minutes away from Handle on the news this morning, Jesse Smollett's contion conviction for staging a hate crime has been thrown out, but that doesn't mean he didn't do it. Let's say good morning now to ABC's entertainment guy, Will Gans. Good morning Will. We're gonna find out is Wicked going to be that popular?
Speaker 3: You're gonna be popular.
Speaker 1: I'll teach you the perrober Yes, no, maybe.
Speaker 4: Hey, listen, if you wanted someone to sing it, you could have just asked me. I'm warmed up and ready to go.
Speaker 1: You are. You know you're not supposed to You're not supposed to sing in the theaters. They're putting up warning signs.
Speaker 4: I know, I know, and it actually so, I've seen the movie. There was a little bit of singing, and you could tell it was from, you know, kids who were very excited to hear, specifically the song that you just referenced. They're popular, But it only lasted for a couple of seconds until parents shushed them.
Speaker 8: Listen.
Speaker 4: I think that anyone who has been waiting, you know, twenty one years, if you've loved the Broadway musical Wicked, then you will be immensely satisfied by this film adaptation that's hitting theaters this weekend. It's it's long. It's two hours and you know change.
Speaker 1: Oh no, it's two hours and forty minutes. It's not changed. Yeah, it's long.
Speaker 4: It's long.
Speaker 3: It's long.
Speaker 4: But I think people who love the the musical will love the film. It's really well done. It's exciting. It's acted brilliantly by Cynthia Reveal Rivo and Ariana Grande, and the sporting cast is wonderful as well. It's it's so good. And you know, on the grander scheme, you know, we're down like twenty five percent overall box office total since before the pandemic. But I think this weekend between Wicked and Gladiator two, you know, it's it's the bounce back that we've been waiting for, both as as audience members. And of course you know these these theater owners are going to be happy to Yeah, and so.
Speaker 1: We had Barbenheimer and they're calling this one glicked, glicked, glicated weekend.
Speaker 4: Yes. Yeah, So if singing, which is isn't your isn't your thing, then maybe a bunch of guys fighting, you know, rabid monkeys in the Roman coliseum might be your thing. And then that's what you'll get in Gladiator. To Ridley Scott's follow up to you know, the Academy Award winning movie Gladiator that had Russell crowen it. This one's got Paul Medskell and Dentzel Washington, and it's also long two hours, and you're right, more than change. I think this one's also like two and a half hours. But it's fun, you know, it's it's I saw both Wicked and Gladiator, and you know there's something for everybody in theaters this weekend, I think, yeah.
Speaker 1: And Paul Mescal that's from the Last of Us, right, No.
Speaker 4: Yet that is uh the Last of Us is Oh gosh, why can't I think of his name?
Speaker 1: Isn't he.
Speaker 4: Paul Paul Meskell? Is he was a normal people on Hulu? He's uh Irish guy?
Speaker 1: Oh? Okay, is is Pedro Pascal in it?
Speaker 4: Yes? Pedro pascalas in both? Yes, the name that was the one I was thinking.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, yes, did you see that? We We both had a collective brain fade right there on live on radio.
Speaker 4: It was beautiful, exactly. Their last names are very similar, Somna. I'm gonna give us a half credit for that.
Speaker 1: Okay. So here's my question with the Gladiator one. Russell Crowe did such a great job with that movie. Does that is that going to translate to the new movie. Do they do that good of a job or is it one that's going to fall short. I mean, it's going to bring a lot of people in. But comparatively, they do a.
Speaker 4: Nice job of paying homage to Russell Crowe's performance in this sequel, so it's not like a completely separate story. There's a link to that movie and it tells you right off the bat. There's the title card that's like sixteen years after the you Know What You Witnessed and the Yeah. So they do a good job of paying homage and Paul Neskell is exceptionally gifted as a young actor. So I think that like they pick up the torch in a in a good way, in a fair way. And of course Denzel Washington is just so fun to watch on the big screen as well.
Speaker 1: Denzel is always spectacular, so good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that's so we have the glick did weekend and then if you don't feel like going out, if you want to just curl up on the couch because you know it's going to rain here, so what might be a good binge for you.
Speaker 4: It's raining in New York as well, and it's very very cold for the first time this season. So there's a there's a show on Apple TV. It's it's number one comedy at the moment, and it's called Shrinking. So if you haven't seen it this we're in the middle of season two and it's got Harrison Ford, it's got Jason Siegel. It's made by the guys who made Ted Lasso. So if you like that sort of feel good, smart comedy, I think you'll love Shrinking. It's about a psychiatrist who loses his wife in an accident and he sort of because of that, decides he's really going to tell his patients what he thinks they should be doing in their life. He's not going to play the passive therapist voice anymore. So he starts getting very involved in his therapist life. Oh, I think you should drop coffee on your you know, your husband's lap because he's a bad guy. Things like that, and it's it's so it's very fun and you know, it's it's really well acted. The episodes are about forty minutes each, so you know, you can get through season one pretty quickly and then jump in where we're at now on season two. It's it's a great show.
Speaker 1: I concur I'm a big shrinking fan. And and Harrison Ford, I mean, come on, he's amazing.
Speaker 4: I beat it. Yeah, he's so good. And they all are really like you know, yeah, all.
Speaker 1: Right, it sounds like we have lots of options and whatever you do, just know that you'll be popular. Copy BBCs wil Gans, thank you so much. We'll talk to you again next week.
Speaker 4: All right, I have a good one, all right.
Speaker 1: Tickets to attend the Menendez brothers upcoming court hearing will be distributed by lottery. Tickets will be given out between eight and nine am Monday outside the Van Lin's Courthouse with a lottery for sixteen public seats to follow. Eric and Lyle Menendez, who've been in prison for thirty years for murdering their parents and Beverly Hills, are expected to be there. The hearing will discuss the brothers claims that their sentence was unconstitutional because of what they call new evidence that they were molested by their father. The LEDWP has agreed to pay nearly sixty million dollars to settle claims by more than twelve hundred people who were exposed to a gas leak at the Department of Water Empower's Sun Valley Generating Station. The lawsuit filed in twenty twenty one, alleged the utility put the health of mostly black and Latino neighborhoods at risk. People in Sun Valley and Pacoima like this woman complained of headaches, bloody noses, shortness of breath, and nausea. Like the year.
Speaker 9: Two years after we moved here, I started smelling gas every time I came outside to do something, to work on the yard.
Speaker 1: The lawsuit alleged the DWP failed to perform adequate equipment inspections and notify residents of possible gas leaks as they happened. The La Auto Show is returned to the Convention Center downtown.
Speaker 5: The auto show was founded in night teen o seven, and this year a regular attraction is also celebrating many decades. The Ford Mustang has turned sixty, and Mike Levine with The Automaker says, there's just something about the Mustang and it's connection with Californians.
Speaker 7: Gives you a chance to get outside and if you want to go up pH you can do that. If you want to take a Mustang to the track on the weekends, you can do that too.
Speaker 5: Ford is showing off the new twenty twenty five Mustang GTD. The auto show runs through December first at the LA Convention Center. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southend Weather from KFI. Morning, clouds and sunny with highs in the upper sixties at the beaches, low to mid seventies for Metrola and Inland Orange County, upper sixties to upper seventies in the valleys and Inland Empire sixties to low seventies for the Antelote Valley Party. Cloudy with loads in the forties to low fifties tonight and then a chance of rain tomorrow morning, rain likely for the afternoon highs in the sixties. Chance of rain continues Sunday and into next week. It's forty five in Fullerton, forty seven in San Clemente, forty seven in Inglewood, and forty eight in El Segundo. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer Ann and technical producer KNO and traffic specialist Nick. I'm Amy King. This has been your Friday morning wake up call. If you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app