Speaker 1: Hey, this is Brian wanting to let you know that the Movie Film Podcast now has a Patreon. If you head over to patreon dot com slash moviefilm Podcasts and hit subscribe for only five dollars a month, you'll gain access to a special feed where you'll find every commentary we've ever recorded and every episode we do moving forward add free and without any interruptions. We are very grateful for our sponsors, and our free feed isn't going anywhere, but we wanted to offer an option we believe is the most satisfying way to enjoy the show, no ads, no interruptions. Your subscription will also go a long way and helping to support us and helping to sustain production of this show. So if you're interested, in able and want to enjoy the most satisfying way to enjoy the podcast, please head over to Patreon dot com slash moviefilm podcast and subscribe. We'd be very grateful and now on with the show. Welcome Friends Podcasts podcast show Jacky and Brian. They're talking about the group back.
Speaker 2: I guess are you ready for the truth? I believe comic book heroes walk the air. I believe you have a lot of those individuals. It's all right. It could be free David. That's this part.
Speaker 1: It would be like a comic book.
Speaker 2: That is winning. It's time for someone like you, Unbreakable. Welcome to a movie film commentary track. My name is Zachi Hassan, and here is the David Dunn to my Elijah Price, Brian Hall.
Speaker 1: Hey, how's it going, Zachie?
Speaker 2: Brian when he woke up this morning, was the sadness gone?
Speaker 1: Yes, because I knew I was going to be recording with you, because I think that's my purpose.
Speaker 2: Just stay out of the water and you'll be fine.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: We are here to watch and talk through two thousands Unbreakable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is when you brought this up, I was like, of course, Unbreakable. I love Unbreakable. This is just one of those obvious ones. I can't believe we haven't done yet.
Speaker 2: This is a fun one in the sense that it's it's been interesting to watch over the last quarter century as its reputation has grown.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, I mean that was an interesting part of this for me because I do remember. I'll talk about it a little bit more, but I remember liking this, right, off the bat. But even the same night, people within my friend group were split on it. And I saw it. You say, oh, and we'll talk about that experience. By the way, that was incredible. But I saw that this had a cinema score of c as like early cow all right. I don't know. I only remember how I felt about it, maybe because it was less of an Internet age than we're living in now, where I know, yeah, what everybody thinks about everything. But this is gonna be fun to get into.
Speaker 2: I agree. So there is just the one cut of Unbreakable, which makes this conversation a little bit easier. So we're gonna get started on this now. Worth mentioning that that they have Disney has added a little disclaimer at the top that says this film contains tobacco depictions. I think that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so just for the sake if you're trying to time it up, that's the version that we're watching. So there there's like a it's like a six second thing at the start there. In case your version does not have that, just just bear that in mind. Yep, there you go.
Speaker 1: Oh, hold on, I have to light up just before we record it soothes me, your regular don Draper over there.
Speaker 2: Uh so, uh we going ready to do this? Ready, all right, so we will hit play on three one two three play and here you go one two three play.
Speaker 1: Contains tobacco depictions. November twenty second, two thousand, when Touchstone Pictures was still releasing movies.
Speaker 2: Well, well, this, this movie very much came out in the warm afterglow of the Sixth Sense. Yes, just over a year prior.
Speaker 1: Very very quick, isn't it, I mean very fast?
Speaker 2: Turned around? Yeah, well, he had started writing the script for this while making the Sixth Sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw. He wrote this as a spec script, and he wound up making five million dollars for the script and five million dollars to direct it.
Speaker 2: Not too shabby considering he was. He was not even thirty at that time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, twenty nine years old.
Speaker 2: Now. I have to say I felt very targeted by this intro thing right here with the text. What do you mean about the evils of comic books? Oh?
Speaker 1: Is that is that how you took it?
Speaker 2: I was kind of like, I don't like where this is headed. Oh you know, it's funny.
Speaker 1: I took it as a little bit of a No. Seriously, this is like big business, and despite how you feel about what's coming up, you know, comic books are legit, They've been around for a long time, they're you know what I mean, almost.
Speaker 2: Like that if that's what you thought at the beginning, Definitely by the end, when when the comic book Nerd turns out to be the raving psychopath.
Speaker 1: That's so funny. Do you actually is that kind of how you view this A.
Speaker 2: Little bit, not so much. I was only kind of joking about the beginning, but I definitely remember at the end being like, all right, oh guys. I mean there's like lots of people who read comics who you know, they're fine.
Speaker 1: That is really funny. I guess I never thought of it that way. But you know, this is this is such an interesting film, isn't it. I mean, there's so much to talk about, but like this is. As I was watching it, I was thinking, this movie is in the year two thousand, ahead of its time, and ironically also could have only been made in this time.
Speaker 2: I was I had that exact putt well touching it right.
Speaker 1: This is a movie that should come out right now because we are now so steeped in comic book movies and culture and whatever that this movie could be I think, you know, appreciated by way more people if it were to come out now. But they don't make movies like this any sort. So yeah, but you know, there was a lot of talk about when I was doing research on this, about the marketing and uh yeah, yeah, you know, and and a lot of I guess coming from Disney or whoever, the marketing people, they kind of wanted to obscure the fact that this was a comic book movie.
Speaker 2: Actually real, real quick, Brian, before he leaves the stage, I did want to Amon Walker, who plays the doctor here. Oh yeah, he's just up until recently, he was a regular on Chicago Fire.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, and you know he's.
Speaker 2: Kind of kind of the grizzled, the veteran. You know.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so funny because he looks so young.
Speaker 2: Here he's a young buckstrap right here. Anyway, he's great.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a very it's a small part, but it's impactful, and it's it's kind of horrifying, you know, knowing that this talk about.
Speaker 2: The worst nightmare any new parent could could experience.
Speaker 1: You know, Yeah, this one's just giving birth in a department store, and then the baby's arms and legs are broken, and and then it's just like fades the Black m Night Shemalin Presents. You're like, oh, okay, so this that's that's what we're for. And this is kind of a you know, serious melancholy movie. Yeah, you know, this isn't really a romp, which is kind of interesting. And you know this movie too, and this is something I remembered, and I was wondering if I would be distracted by it or still enamored with it as I was in two thousand. But this is a very deliberately paced.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, even more so than The Sixth Sense, Yes, which is also deliberately paced.
Speaker 1: But this is very I mean it's a slow burn, and there are a lot of movies that are slow burns, but I mean, this is a movie that has takes that last several minutes. And this, I mean, this is a prime example what we're looking at here where we see Bruce Willis as David Dunn on the train and we go through this whole little short film of he seems like kind of a sad person. Yeah, and he's wearing this wedding ring and then this cute woman sits next to him and he tries to strike up a conversation. He goes a little too far, oversteps kind of flirting with her, and she decides to leave. Oh, but he takes off his wedding ring to have this conversation. Yeah, oversteps a little bit. She's uncomfortable, she leaves, he puts the ring back on. But the way they do it, it's not just I mean, you could imagine that in a regular sort of film, but I mean, what we're looking at here is the camera is positioned in the seats in front of them on this train, and we're peaking like we're almost like eavesdropping on this moment right as the camera sort of is just looking through the cracks of the two seats, going slowly moving back and forth and back and forth, picking up on them during this moment. It's I remember at the time this was. You know, there are certain movies I think when you're becoming a sinophile, or you start making your own movies and going to film school, or you know, with your video camera in your backyard or your phone now, and there are things that you see that just spark something inside of you and then you start trying to do that kind of thing. I remember this.
Speaker 2: Movie was a huge influence on me.
Speaker 1: I did this short film at college, and I remember there's a moment where these people are slowly figuring something out in a restaurant, and I was like, because I had this movie in my mind, it was like the camera started like at the entrance of the restaurant and it's like a waiter walks in front, and then it goes over like a menu and a slowly reaching the people as they hit their realization. And I know it was because of this. Yeah, the style of this film.
Speaker 2: That's really something. This is such an uncomfortable scene to watch.
Speaker 1: It really is.
Speaker 2: You do sort of a cringe on his behalf you a mm hmmm hm.
Speaker 1: And she's good too. The whole well, I guess, I guess switch seats. But this is I hadn't seen this in a while, and if there were certain things that I remember from this, this is actually one of those, like moments him taking off the ring then him putting the ring back on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is a terrific performance by Bruce Willis.
Speaker 1: Yes, and Samuel Jackson. I mean, this is just talk about like a gift this script for the both of them, you know, for both them.
Speaker 2: And it is funny because we began this year with our commentary track for Diehard with a Vengeance, and they're playing such different versions of themselves in that, you know, mm hmm, yeah, you talk about their their respective range as actors. You know.
Speaker 1: I was thinking too, Pulp Fiction wasn't even ten years before this, that's right, maybe like six or something, and Pulp Fiction was ninety four.
Speaker 2: Diehard was ninety five and this is two thousand. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I hadn't realized how often they had been on screen together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and especially once you factor in glass.
Speaker 1: Yep yep, which.
Speaker 2: Their final, their final pairing.
Speaker 1: It turns out, you know, this was making me want to revisit that Yeah, And I was like, I don't know, I just remember not really enjoying my time with that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So just in preparation for this, I didn't have time to watch it. So I was like, all right, I'll watch a recap. So I went on YouTube and I saw one that was nine minutes. I was like hmmmm, And then I saw one that was two minutes, and I was like, bingo, Yeah, I'd be curious to watch it again now that my expectations are set. Sure, still don't know that I would love it, but now that I know what it is, and having, you know.
Speaker 2: Just watched this fresh, i'd be kind of curious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But anyway, so this, I mean, I was a huge fan of The Sixth Sense. I mean, it's it's worth noting again we both are. And that was one of those movies where, now before the movie comes out, you would be seeing on like social media or news articles or whatever, like you won't believe the ending of the Sixth Sense, right, you know, so you're you're walking in knowing there's some sort of twist awaiting you. But I think we both went in not knowing that there was a twist, and so it was just one of the most mind blowing, unexpected and satisfying film moments, you know, that we had had in a long long time. So then when you you know that this this guy who you don't know who he is, and night Shyamalan is coming out with a new movie, and then I remember the trailer was the scene we're going to see in a minute where he's at the hospital and it's a doctor basically saying you know you or You're involved in this train accident and every single person died except you. There's not a scratch on you. And it's like from the guy who brought you the sixth Sense, You're like, well, come on, like sign me up. You know, like huge anticipation for this.
Speaker 2: And that gets to Obviously Disney leaned hard into the sixth sense of it all in order to sell the movie, and I guess that got them a decent opening weekend, even though you know, the movie itself did not perform at that level. You know, it's just a different movie. But Shyamalan has talked about how I mean he wanted to I mean, this was his superhero movie, and essentially he was told, you can't say superhero right, you get right. None of the stuff that would allow you to, you know, the stuff you had put in a trailer was available to them. And I really think that some of that expectation setting would have been very helpful. And I also, you know, Quentin Tarantino has talked about about how, I mean, for him, this is one of his favorite movies, you know, from from the time he started directing to now is from like ninety two to now, and he he made a great point, and he's like, it's a movie. What if Superman was real? But he doesn't know he's Superman?
Speaker 1: Right right?
Speaker 2: What a great pitch? Yeah right, yeah uh, And so that I do feel like they kind of handicap themselves a little bit.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's tough because I loved not knowing, like the discovery for me and abilities, like, what a what a gift to be able to step into a movie like this that is going to become the perfect thing that I will find enjoyable and delightful. And I get that discovery, you know. But for a lot of people, I think they were unprepared, you know, to what you're saying, And so it might have been helpful to at least tease that little bit. Yeah, I don't know. Yeah, it sounds like the marketing they were trying to lean more into the sort of supernatural thriller sort of thing. Yeah, hide the fact that this had anything to do with comic books.
Speaker 2: It's from the guy who made six Cents. It stars the guy from six Cents. Yeah, if they could have called it the seventh sense, they would have, right, right, Yeah, probably, this whole sequence is so terrific, though the way you've got Willis in in the background. He's framed perfectly, and the scene is just playing out like you said, in this long shot. And meanwhile in the foreground, we've got this guy and we see or this person, I should say, and we see him bleed out. Yes, I mean, just just look at that right there. Yep, as the blood stain dis grows and goes. That's how masterfully executed, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean truly, this is I think sixth sense. This and Signs are Shyamalan at the height of his powers. Yeah, you know, where he he can be a little showy or whatever you want to call it, but like, when he does it correctly, it works. Yeah, you know, it makes you feel exactly what he wants you to feel. And then he's done some other films where he's pushed that a little too hard, maybe been a little too confident or brazen, or not listen to other people's ideas or thoughts or pinions on what he's doing, and then it does become like, okay, you know what I mean, It does start to feel a little bit more showy than the perfect way to tell the story you want to tell. But this movie, so yeah, I went into this remembering that it was a very deliberately paced film in its shot lengths and its editing and its performances even I mean, everyone talks very slow and low, and I was wondering if that would hold up or if I would find that a little bit like, oh yeah, I kind of remember he went for this, but otherwise I enjoy it. But I found myself thinking it was perfectly calibrated.
Speaker 2: I agree. I think the long takes really allow you to appreciate the nuances of the performances. And you know, I'm a big fan of when you've got a conversation see or whatever and we're able to see both both players or you know, the players involved within the frame. Yeah, you get to see their real reactions, real time reactions, without the intrusion of the edit. And so I think that's something that that Shyamalan does here, and he does it to a far greater degree here than he did in The Six Suns, and it's it is very enjoyable. Now, I have not revisited Signs in a while, so I can't remember if he utilized a similar technique here, but it's very effectively executed in this film, you know, So I'm curious. I'm curious to see how much of that he puts into science.
Speaker 1: If anything, Signs isn't as lingering as this movie is, but it is still his very much, which his voice, the voice we see in this movie. But I think he, like I said, I mean, he knew what he was doing. He was so on fire in that moment, and he knew that what exactly what he's doing in this wouldn't have worked for science. Signs needs to be a little bit snappier, a little bit more humor pepper throughout, but it still does feel very much like it's from the same filmmaker.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Another thing, too, is what I remember about this movie. I want to comment on what we just saw. I was like, whoa, that is some fish eye again. My memory of this is him realizing he has more strength than he realizes, and him and his boy putting you know, all the weights on, and you know, of course his mission at the end when he goes and tries to stop that janitor and whatever. But what I had forgotten about was, I mean, kind of what the movie's really about. And it's themes I feel like resonated with me even more as an adult and a big part of it is, you know, an adult relationship deteriorating. That's very different than like a teenage relationship falling apart. And like everything that you know Bruce Willis and Robin Wright are doing, I mean, it's just so grounded and realistic. And like you said, there's there's an amazing moment where they're talking together through a doorway and and it's this two shot and you get to watch both of them just existing with one another for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: And so there's there's that, which is a lot of what this movie is about. Oh, and why I wanted to call what I wanted to call out was in the hospital where you see the boy try to put their hands together, to all the hands and as soon as he turns around and they start walking, they let go. I was like, oh, my heart. And then it's also about feeling blah, you know, at a certain age and you can't pinpoint why. And I was reading Shyamalan said about this and the tone that he was trying to strike while writing a quote unquote superhero movie. Well, no, not quote unquote. He said, time I wrote a scene that was two comic bushes comic bookish I yanked it out. It became much more about that unexplainable feeling of grayness when you wake up in the morning, that feeling of somberness when you're not fitting in which to some extent I was struggling with at the time. It became about being out of sync, and so I kind of watched it with a different sort of you know eyes, you know, forty five year old eyes versus my twenty year old eyes when I first saw this, Jeez, when you put it like that, good lord, Yeah, I had just turned twenty one when this movie came out. Okay, yeah, what an exciting time, though. I mean so much as written about the year nineteen ninety nine possibly being one of the best years in cinema ever, and it's because there were so many interesting and innovative movies that were released by major studios, right, you know, and then I think this is we're still doing it when you get a movie like this.
Speaker 2: Well, and definitely when you situate this on the continuum of superhero movies, I think that too, is very interesting because it arrives just a year after The Matrix, which I consider that a superhero origin story. Sure, right, and it's just after It's it's mere months after the first X Men, which, if you want to point to a play like I mean, granted, Blade came out two years earlier, but let's be honest, it was X Men that kickstarted the whole Marvel movie thing for sure. And so it's this pivot, you know what I mean. So Unbreakable exists in within that prior era, even as it just came out just after the beginning of the new era. Does that make sense? Huh? Yeah, you know, because because from X Men to now, you know, the superhero paradigm has completely shifted, and yet this movie is just five years before Bamman begins.
Speaker 1: And thinking about that with James Newton Howard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, right, And clearly Christopher Nolan is is I have to believe he took inspiration from the grounded nature of this story when he was telling his superhero story.
Speaker 1: For sure, or at least I have to imagine he was really delighted by this movie. Yeah, this feels very much in his arena. Yeah, this is just fun script stuff. You know, where he gets the card on his windshield, he doesn't know who it's from. Where, just asks this, you know, he survives this impossible thing, this where a train crash where everyone's died, and then he gets a card from he doesn't know who that just says, have you ever had? Have you ever been sick? What a curious question, you know, And so then him going to work and being the way that he does it is like, oh have I ever how many sick days have I taken? Just like that's his interesting way of trying to deduce that. And then to have his boss show up like, fine, you'll get a raise, Like I get what you're saying, you haven't taken a sick day? Like what a more interesting way to get that across, but that he's never been sick, because then we get to see him at work and we learn what his life is like at work because we get to meet his boss. Also, it's very clever stuff. Yeah, this stuff. So we know they're in separate rooms, him and his wife.
Speaker 2: That's what I love, right, They're in the same frame but in different rooms.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's great. Yeah, and just you know there's an unease here, there's an unease with them period. But he needs to ask her a question that only she could answer for him. And you see a little bit of a you know, not in a connection, but what you know, familiarity that only like a husband and wife could could have, you know, like a slight a mild barrier comes down in this moment, right, because she's like, why, that's an interesting question. I don't know. I guess I don't know how to answer that question. It's just I don't know.
Speaker 2: This movie is so much more textured than I remember. That's really true. Yeah, but I mean I think it's reflective of just a quarter century of living, which I think you and I have had, you know, until you're able to be like, oh, okay, I see I see where where he's coming from. I mean, I know what it's like to not be sick a day in your life and lift every weight in the house.
Speaker 1: I mean, I get it.
Speaker 2: Me and David Dunn, we're not that sim dissimilar, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's also it's almost infuriating knowing that he was twenty nine when he did this.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about that and I was like, you know, we heard those those Spielberg comparisons back then, and you realize why, right, because Spielberg was what seven when he made Jaws, right, right, And Shyamalan was twenty eight when he made six cents, so you know, there was sort of a wonder can aspect to it.
Speaker 1: That's literally the word on my lips. Yep. Yeah, was that when Signs was coming out that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was I believe it was Newsweek, Oh news Okay that had him on the cover and said the next Spielberg. And I remember seeing that being like ooh.
Speaker 1: Me too, Like no, I'm excited about this guy also, but I thought I read somewhere that he actually reached out to Spielberg.
Speaker 2: And was like that was not my idea, and Spielberg's like, yeah, whatever and hangs up on him.
Speaker 1: He's like, yeah whatever. Do you remember the picture.
Speaker 2: Spielberg being the guy on Reddit who's like talking shit about him? He's he's like bugs Bunny and that Daffy Duck cartoon. You know, ain't I Astinka? That's hilarious. Notice how many shots in this film do through the reflection exposition.
Speaker 1: I was just going to bring that up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because even his birth is I was gonna say, like the birth scene is, or the post birth I should say, it's fantastic because the whole you'd think you're seeing what actually is. But it's a reflection, and of course it's always Elijah and and you know he's a distorted reflection of David.
Speaker 1: Right, yep.
Speaker 2: It's good stuff, yeah, yep.
Speaker 1: And I mean all this stuff too, is just so.
Speaker 2: Potent, you know.
Speaker 1: It was it was putting a lump in my chest or a lump in my throat last night, just this poor boy. And there's that scene. There's a bunch of deleted scenes from this movie. Do you remember the one where he tries to go on that ride at the fair? Oh, oh my god, it's harrowing, I know, because he wants to ride this ride, and so he takes these stuffed animals and in the very deliberate fashion you know that this movie is shot, It just slowly like follows his process of like, well, if I put these stuffed animals here, and if I put my coat over this, you know, protection bar, like I should be okay. And then as the ride, oh, it's that you know, what do you call it, like a centrifuge or something like the ride that spins so the gravity forces you against the wall and then slowly the stuffed animals come loose, and you're like, oh, no, I know, and he's gonna get injured, and it's oh, it's it's incredible filmmaking.
Speaker 2: But it did they cut it? I'm actually I mean.
Speaker 1: That scene with him falling down the stairs is that it's hard enough exactly. I don't know if I could.
Speaker 2: Take to them much much less seeing a little kid go through it, exactly.
Speaker 1: But just this whole conceit is so sweet, Like she buys in this gift, but like puts it on a bench so he'll get out of the house to go get it.
Speaker 2: And well, I'm just gonna put this out there. Maybe she could have got him a pack of baseball card or something and avoided a lot of this shit.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just saying mom bears some responsibility. I'm gonna say, like thirty percent of everything. You know.
Speaker 1: That would be kind of funny if there was a scene and she was like, so, what did you think of the story, and he goes, well, I think you know, they treat the bad guy in this comic unfair. I mean, maybe he's got a point. I mean, maybe, you know, And then she's like, oh, okay, there are two shots in this movie that do find kind of obnoxious. This is one of them. I gotta be I gotta be fair.
Speaker 2: So it's the camera turning turning.
Speaker 1: With the com I just don't see the point of it other than it being sort of complicated and showy. But but I you know, as we know, I'm a huge Shamalan apologist, and so I stick up for him and gush over him a lot. So I will call out that shot. And there's another shot.
Speaker 2: That kind of annoys me later that I will call out.
Speaker 1: But otherwise a plus.
Speaker 2: Well, the idea is he he has an upside down worldview, and so the movie is putting us in his headspace where somehow what's upside down looks normal. All right, that's yeah.
Speaker 1: Good, that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Do you really believe that, No, that's coming up with something I was gonna say that. Actually I'll buy that and I'll go with it. You know. Well, here's another reflection, so this scene here, yes, now, now, I have many thoughts. First of all, I don't I think Elijah's response is the correct one. Uh if if, even if he's a little bit you know, brusque with with the customer. Right. However, well, well, I mean this is not that's not something you put up in a in a kid's room. Come on, now, right I would I would have handled it more delicately. But my point is is what kind of stupid ass dad goes into a fine art gallery? This is I mean, he's again he's right, no, lie, just right. This isn't kids r us you know, you know it's a fine art gallery. And he'll be like, oh, I want to put this in my four year old Jeb to name your son Jeb. Come on, now, you.
Speaker 1: Know what's funny. I do remember like getting it, you know, when I first saw it, But last night I was sort of like, well, what if that was like, you know, super like Action Comics number one or whatever. Like this guy is a huge comic book fan, and he wants or like a star imagine like a Star Wars original poster or something from nineteen seventy seven that costs ten thousand dollars or something. But it's like he wants his son to grow up loving Star Wars like he does, and maybe he has the means, and so that's his way of you know, I'm gonna put this. This is the beginning. This is the beginning of a journey. I want to share with my son. That's actually how I looked at it, and I was like, oh, I gotta feel bad for this.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me let me put this. You've been in my cave, Yes, you've seen the things I have in my cave. Now do I want my kids to be into that stuff? Absolutely? Do you think I should put any one of the things in my cave in the room where my baby sleeps.
Speaker 1: I mean he don't know. Yeah, I'm truly. I mean, like one of the I can imagine, like a Chewbacca or something, just to sort of get them endeared.
Speaker 2: Well, sure, but that's but that's my point. Something you get from Walmart, not from you know, a high end gallery.
Speaker 1: Don't get me wrong. I mean I this isn't something I would do. But let me put it this way. And why I actually kind of like this scene now they think about it is I do actually feel a little bit bad for the guy because you know, he doesn't he's not like he's an idiot, Brian. I mean, he seems sincere about what he wants to do. That's a sincere decision. However, I do like that it helps us understand Elijah in the way that he would never like diminish. Anything that he sees is so valuable, those cans aren't good enough for him, and so he's happy to rudely say good day, sir.
Speaker 2: I think what they should have that guy, the guy should have. He should have been like wearing a starter jacket and like snapping gum. And that's why I hear you, I hear you got that dork shit here.
Speaker 1: I mean that's kind of yeah. Actually that's what they needed to do that maybe lean into that a little bit more. And by the way, I don't actually even think I never thought about this scene as much as we're talking about it right now. But I did have a feeling last night that I kind of felt bad for him because I was like, well, maybe he wants to share this thing that he's passionate about with his kid.
Speaker 2: He should My kid's a dork. He likes this dork stuff for you is a dork store, right, he should have They should have like really leaned into that.
Speaker 1: And if he was a really wealthy person and he doesn't know the difference between high end dork stuff and stuff he could get at Walmart, like you're saying, that's right, that look, we just fixed it.
Speaker 2: Night call us.
Speaker 1: So you know another thing. I mean, this is gonna sound kind of obvious, but when I saw this in two thousand, I was admiring all the framing and the camera work, but I wasn't thinking as much about how this is framed like a comic book. So much of this movie, the framing is like panels in a comic book, and I just didn't think about it. But now I think it's more obvious to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what's interesting is that that, certainly thematically, you see echoes of something like Watchmen, right, you know, Watchmen. You know, the character of night Owl and Watchmen is dealing with this malaise of you know, trying to find purpose, very very much in the vein of David Dunn. And watching this movie it makes me think, man, you wonder what somebody like Shyamalan could have done or would do with something like Watchmen. Sure, you know, yeah, because obviously they went in kind of a different direction. I won't say anything about the person who made that movie. He's got a different approach.
Speaker 1: That's funny. Yeah, you know, I haven't watched that in a while, speaking.
Speaker 2: Of I mean, I enjoyed it. I remember enjoying it for me too.
Speaker 1: I mean it, frankly, i'd never read the comic before. It brought me to the comic, which I really enjoyed.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do love the relationship, by the way that between David and his son in this movie. You know, like the way that the son really, i mean clearly loves his dad, but the way that he like looks up to him like a superhero throughout this movie. And there's that great shot where he's David's reading the newspaper and he lowers it and his boys just wrapped around his chest, and the son so badly wants to believe that his dad is this personal I just says he.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's a really interesting angle, and I think Spencer treat Clark does a really good job.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well we talked about this before. I mean, he was in Gladiator a few months before this, so he had a pretty good two thousand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's looking up to a lot of male father figure types in the Remember he really took the Maximus.
Speaker 2: Fill in that niche Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then if people will remember in the movie Glass, his son kind of becomes the guy in the chair.
Speaker 2: For him, that's right. Yeah. The continuing Adventures of David Dunn. He has a name, don't They call him something like the Watcher?
Speaker 1: Oh I forget, Yeah, I don't remember, but they do give him sort of a superhero name.
Speaker 2: It is weird to think of Glass and realize that that was probably like the last, or if not the last, one of the last like performances where Bruce Willis was fully present.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, recording this in twenty twenty five, it's really difficult to think about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I just saw an interview with his wife who said he's he's nonverbal at this point, which is really heartbreaking, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I thought I read something somewhere well, I mean, nonverbal and also just doesn't remember that he had a film career.
Speaker 2: Man, that's really I mean, it's this is one of those things where just unfortunately, as we get older, we have to reckon with so many of our childhood icons, lifelong icons just going away. But unfortunately, you know, I think with Bruce Willis, in addition to that, it's the fact that this illness means that he's already gone kind of you know, in a lot of ways. I don't know if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, yeah, but I mean, like you said, I mean a childhood icon. I mean so many. He made an impact in a lot of people's lives through the entertainment. He was a part of you know.
Speaker 2: Well, and and you know, you realize that his association with Shyamalan happened at a really or tune time, you know, where he was transitioning into being more than just an action icon, you know.
Speaker 1: And didn't he do that out of a contractual obligation?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: How wild one of his defining roles. I mean, it just worked in everyone's best interest. The way that that came together, it's amazing. It's the Chekhov's gun checkofs guy. I was I was reading a lot about this movie in preparation, and someone was just like the checkouts gun moment. It's like, literally, he just takes the gun, looks at it, and puts it back.
Speaker 2: He should look, he should look right up to camera. Everybody got that right.
Speaker 1: It works though, because he's looking in that area for something, and it works. I like this shot, by the way, from above in the closets frequently well.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of the john Ford moment in the Fablements. Right if the horizon at is at the looks good. If horizon at the bottom, it looks If it's horis in the middle, it looks like shit, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean this this movie just filled with interesting photography.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think to the point you made about it feeling like comic book panels that I'll be honest, I hadn't even clocked that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's pretty bang on in this. I love this shot that low half the frame filled with.
Speaker 2: Whenever you dirty the frame a little bit, right, it looks the shot just it's just instinctively more interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's just so much to look at, and there's not much to look at, but it's also his face is obscured by the folder, so we know he's engrossed in it.
Speaker 2: Just good.
Speaker 1: I just feel like this is my common complaint, and I I'm not exactly right, because we see tons of interesting movies these days still, but it just feels like it was more common in big popular movies to see interesting, dynamic stuff like this. That's right, you know, Yeah, like the moments like this, this like really probably as a twenty year old, I was just like, oh, that's nice. His wife wants to hang out again, but like, this is a really well written, well performed scene. Yeah, you know, her being like, if you want to ask me out sometime, you can do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's there's this there's this sadness when you see a couple that they clearly have love for each other mm hm, but whatever spark they had seems to have have faded away, and so it's kind of like, what are we trying to keep alive here? You know? I mean there is a sadness there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a golf, a real palpable golf. But because these are such great performances captured so well, you can sense the thread, the reason they feel something for one another, and just seeing them try to repair this in her performance here is just so amazing. Everything she's going through. I mean, obviously she's experienced a lot of hurt, but then she thought she might have lost him forever, and now she's just saying, hey, you know, if you want to ask me out again some time, maybe do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's just I don't know, it's just so rich and I feel very mature for someone in their twenties to write and to direct like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, very sophisticated. This role originally went to Julianne Moore, which I can imagine. Yeah, oh easily, I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't change. I like Robin Wright a lot in this movie, so I'm happy it's well.
Speaker 2: Julianne Moore dipped to do Hannibal, which you can understand from her perspective because she gets to be the lead, you know. But but that being said, I mean, I don't think anybody has particularly good feelings about that movie. Yeah, so I think I think Robin Wright did okay. In fact, probably the most dated thing about this movie is the fact that she's credited is Robin Right, Penn.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: There's a little stick pin in time right there.
Speaker 1: Actually, I had to stop myself from saying Penn when I said her name earlier, because I'm so used to that.
Speaker 2: Oh how funny, I even right Pen? Yeah, see look at this shot. I love this, you know, so observational through the gate.
Speaker 1: It's funny, you know, him trying to sincerely reach out to him again, then throwing his own joke back at him.
Speaker 2: Give me your credit card? Yeah, now, did you go into this expecting a twist? Ending?
Speaker 1: I wish I could remember. I don't remember. I really don't. I mean, obviously by signs I did, sure, because that had become his thing. I mean, even Elijah's mom.
Speaker 2: Sort of like little I heard there's a twist ending in this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, about the comic book he's looking at?
Speaker 2: Did you.
Speaker 1: Not that?
Speaker 2: I remember? However, I definitely figured out that Elijah was the bad guy.
Speaker 1: Mmm.
Speaker 2: I mean not like at this point, but but definitely by the end before the reveal, Right, I remember leaning to my cousin who I went with, and I was like, he's the villain. No.
Speaker 1: See, it's funny because I'm I'm sure I was surprised, but watching it now, I feel like it's almost hard not Yeah, how would you not clock that? I mean even just the way he's dressed.
Speaker 2: I was about to say, he's wearing like a super villain costume. Yes, yeah, And you know what's funny is that, like.
Speaker 1: You kin't.
Speaker 2: On the one level, You're like, why would he want to fashion himself as a villain. He's like a comic book guy, Like, wouldn't you want to be a hero? Right, Like, like, if you're a comic book nerd, you're you'd be like, no, I'm you know, I'm the hero of my story. Why does he want to be a villain? Right? But look at it through his lens. His act of heroism is he had to do all that in order to give the world this hero. Right.
Speaker 1: If not for him, David doesn't become a hero, which is typically how villains think, right, right, Like their perspective is they're coming from some sort of understandable place, right. And then the other thing is, if you go to comic Con or whatever, I would say, you see more people dressed up like villains than than heroes because it's more fun, it's more flamboyant, you know, yeah, sure, how many how many Heath Ledger jokers do you see? You know, that's that's a really good point. That's a great point. Yeah, you know, I just I don't know this, you know, it's funny. I had this thought because I just recently read the book The Man Who Heard Voices, which is basically following him night Shyamalan as he's making Lady in the Water Lady in the Water, and he talks about that being his bedtime story, and it really is in a way, because it does feel like he's making it up as he goes, and by the end you're sort of like, I don't know where, you know, like and then the end, you know. But I was like this, there's something about this movie that I really love that almost feels kind of like a bedtime story. It's if you were to like say this movie back to someone, it's very simple, you know. It's it's I don't know, you know. There's this guy and then he works a security guard and sometimes he gets these instincts like I think that guy's a gun with a silver thing and a black handle, and so the guy follows him and it turns out he did. Like it feels like a story, you could. It does kind of feel bedtime story in that way, right, yeah. And then it's just so simple.
Speaker 2: But it's so this shot by the real quickly, what a beautiful shot right here?
Speaker 1: Oh gorgeous.
Speaker 2: So many times again, it's like two people in the shot. It's framed in this interesting way. They're standing in this kind of a doorway thing, and and we're not even we're not cutting in at any point mm hmmm. We're just letting the performance happen, you know. And anyway, I wanted to clock that before before we moved on. Sorry, go ahead, no.
Speaker 1: And you're just adding to my point where it's like it is really simple on paper, but it's the performances. It's the commitment from the filmmakers, from the performers, from whatever that make this feel.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is kind of a silly idea, honestly, you know what I mean, but like it's it's executed with such gravitas and like sincerity that you just get swept up and invested in it. And I think that see cinema score from the ending and why my friend hated it. I'll never forget my friend Adrian back in the year two thousand. We walked out half of us really loving it, and she was. She was literally telling people on line for the next showing not to go, and we were no kidding. I remember picking her.
Speaker 2: Up and be like, no, stop, stop, Like how funny.
Speaker 1: But I think it's because the movie trips at the end and interesting, this is a this is a tightrope, like you're telling a story that is inherently kind of could possibly be seen as silly, but you're doing it so well and so convincingly and so sincere. And then they accidentally kind of trip at the end, at the very very end, the very very end. And I think for me, and I was watching the Ebert and Roper review last night. Ebert, it's like, well, the ending kind of but like, oh man, this is a great movie. And that's how I felt. I was like, you know, I don't care, like I get it. That was a great experience. But for some people that trip might have been like wait, wait, wait, wait, wait wait, you know what I mean? And then I think that's yeah, this is one of the most harrowing scenes I can write this.
Speaker 2: This is harrowing enough. We didn't need that theme park.
Speaker 1: Yes, So Dunn has said that he had a vision of the person in the camouflage coat having a specific type of gun, and of course Glass wants to know. Elijah'll come alt Elijah out of respect, Elijah, don't be like the kids. I was just watching his cane. But Elijah has to know because this will prove his theory. He's gone through so much. He sacrificed almost five hundred people to find out if this guy is the guy he believes him to be. So he has to know if that guy has the gun. But he's got to go down all these stairs very quickly, and his bones are like glass and watching him try to hurry and his feet slip, and the way that it's filmed and edited, and then that shot, that twisting shot with the glass cane smashing on the ground, h incredible.
Speaker 2: Now I have to ask why on earth would one have a glass cane? What possible practical application is there for that?
Speaker 1: Because it would make excellent symbolism. It just the right moment, which I read that that was Samuel L. Jackson's idea, the glass kane. Yeah, all right, well then you got to go with sam Yeah, purple lightsaber, glass kane. You listen, he's a man who has his predilections. Yeah, yeah, I do love though. Also how from the start again is grounded as this is the world that we're living in here.
Speaker 2: Well, by the way, I love how this is the guy that that reporter was talking about, right, yes, the agent on the agent excuse me, yeah, yep. But the other thing where uh you know, when Joseph goes to David. First of all, their dialogue is just playing out fully in the background, which I love and I love the rack focus here, but he's like, do you know how your what your mother would say, if she knew I saw you playing football, right, I was seeing it like, yeah, she's a physical therapist, so she deals with this ship like all the time. Yep, you know yep.
Speaker 1: I had forgotten about that component of it, that him faking the injury, and they probably wouldn't have been together if he had continued playing full's right, So that was an opportunity for him.
Speaker 2: I loved the little thing though, of Joseph being like, yeah, no, I'll help you work out. He's like, no, you don't, No, I'm heppy. I'm helping my dad work out.
Speaker 1: It's cute.
Speaker 2: So sweet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these these If you had asked me about this movie before I rewatched it last night, I would have been like, oh, it's great and told you certain things about it. But I just feel like, well, this scene, which is great, but I just I came away from it appreciating it even more because I just had forgotten how great the characters and their relationships to each other. Mm hmm, Like the father son thing, the husband and the wife thing. I just that was the stuff I hadn't remembered as well.
Speaker 2: See the loading up the weights the barbells is like one of those memories that stayed with me about this movie since the first time I saw it, you know, totally very distinctive.
Speaker 1: Yep, I love Yeah, even like the way that's framed off screen. I think you could have beaten up Bruce Lee just asking all these questions because Elijah incepted the idea into his brain and now he can't get it out.
Speaker 2: The boy. But there's a naturalism slash unnaturalism that Shyamalan constantly bounces between in all of his scripts. Totally right. It diff like the one thing you can't say about a Shamalan's script is that it was punched out by Ai. Yeah. Yeah, because there's something so so esoteric about how he how he has his characters internet, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's it's so true and sometimes it really works and sometimes it really stands out.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's what no from the happening that's I think. I think when you the metaphor used for a tightrope, that could just as easily apply to Schamalan's career. Yeah, Like for these first three movies he was able to to stay on the right side of that tightrope. But then once you trip, you really trip, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Village it was like he had already pulled one too many punches, and this was a punch that was just a little too asking, a little too much.
Speaker 2: The water. To me, the village is that sketch from the Ben Stiller show Bad Twist ending theater remind me, it's just again, it's like twist, twist, twist, like one too many twists. And that's that's what makes you know, that's what's funny. Yeah, and and that that's my recollection of the Village.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I didn't even watch The Lady in the Water.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's it's not great, unfortunately.
Speaker 2: I would say from the Village on. I've I've definitely not seen every Shamalan movie. I know you have. You're you're like Ride or Die.
Speaker 1: I'm a Rider Die. Yeah, even when I don't like it, I'm there opening day for the next one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I mean I I've seen the visit. I've seen Glass and but and Trap.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And we had a fun conversation about that about a year ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He have you seen Split?
Speaker 2: I did not see Split.
Speaker 1: Have you seen the ending of Split?
Speaker 2: On YouTube? I saw the ending of Split. Yeah, Okay, that's the only part of Split. I've seen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this might be the shot that annoys me, where the camera is sticking with the weights and going up and down into his face, Like, I don't see the need for this. I don't want to talk over it so I can listen to you watch it.
Speaker 2: Is that right? Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: I just I don't I was like, all right, all right, but I mean if you were like starting to lose your day, I'd be like, maybe we can like forego this. But all that aside, the tone and the pacing and the score and the performances in the scene are so fun. It's like this little twinkly magical sort of thing between a father and his son. You know, the son truly believing his dad as a superhero and just keeps tacking on more weight. Even this shot too, like this is cute, the son leaning over into his dad's perspective, Like, dude, it's very very nice.
Speaker 2: This is I mean the score, right, we alluded to James Ehoward. It's the I mean, it works very well with the film, but it also works as its own experience because the motifs are so strong. Yep, I love the sort of the heroic theme you know, oh it's so good.
Speaker 1: This, this and sixth sense. I had those scores and just like listen to them like regular music in my dorm room. It is it's weird that James Newton Howard doesn't get talked about the same way like you're John Williams and his or your Jery you know, like you're James Horner. Is that you know, like, yeah, he should be one of those names that comes up with like the five or six or seven people you talk about right like that.
Speaker 2: That is weird to me because he's he's been like so consistently good.
Speaker 1: Completely. I completely agree that. By the way, that is such an incredible I mean, I would like to think that was in the script. But David realizing he's stronger than he ever knew. Hard cut. There's Elijah broken in bed. He's the opposite. Oh wrenches my heart, but he's on his way like I actually I paused it. And the shot when he falls down the stairs and he sees Elijah sees that that man does have the gun that David envisioned, right I I. And it's filmed up side down or Elijah's upside down on the stairs and you see his head upside down.
Speaker 2: I pause.
Speaker 1: I was like, I have to know what Samuel Jackson is doing. What's the expression he makes during this? And it is a very like he's probably like shutting down because of the pain, but there is just the slightest of satisfaction and this almost becomes kind of uncomfortable. Now he's getting he's getting into David's life here, but it's just by chance, right I you know, I mean I don't Yeah, I guess it would be difficult. The way I thought of it last night was he tried to maybe worm his way to her specifically, but I don't know how one would do that. Yeah, But obviously he has a lot of questions for her now, like he's not getting what he needs out of David, so he's like, all right, gotta gotta talk to his wife.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: You know, I didn't know this, but I was reading the Osteogenesis imperfecta, you know, the disease that he has, yeah, which makes his bones less dense and fragile. I didn't know.
Speaker 2: But there's.
Speaker 1: This Australian celebrity, Quinton Kenahan, Okay, and he's the guy we see in Mad Max Fury Road. He's a little person and he's in that chair and he's talking into like a megaphone or whatever. Oh yea, so he has he has that. Yeah, I didn't know that. Oh my gosh, can't imagine. It's an easy life.
Speaker 2: But I didn't know it was a real thing. I thought it was just made up for the movie.
Speaker 1: So did I I was, I didn't know, so I looked it up.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I don't know a lot about him other than what I've read because he was in Mad Max and whatever. But apparently, I mean, people can write in and correct me or or add to this. But in Australia he's he's a bit of a celebrity over there.
Speaker 2: Okay, So but how common is this illness that I don't know? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So now we're learning the car You know, it's funny. I there's the car accident component in this, and there's also a car accident in signs. And there's also the water component, water being like a threatening thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in both. I was thinking of the water aspect.
Speaker 1: It was making me like, oh, he's kind of got like these hooks in his brain?
Speaker 2: Is this the shemalin Shemalan came?
Speaker 1: So at what point did we know what he looked like and it'd start going, oh.
Speaker 2: I recognize I. I clocked him in the sixth sense because he's the doctor, right, And I didn't realize it was him, but I reckon. I was like, oh, Indian guy, because like that's what happens when you're a brown person. You're like, oh that sure, sure, And then I saw him in an interview I was like, oh, okay, that's him, and so by this time I knew it was him.
Speaker 1: You know, I have a feeling I kind of have a memory of knowing that, yeah, this is good, So this is like him.
Speaker 2: I like it too.
Speaker 1: I had forgotten this because I remember that David can get these visions when he touches people and he so then I was kind of thinking like, well, how does he not? And this feels like something you'd be very aware of. But he with the first time it happens with the man with the gun. He's telling Elijah it's just like a feelings and Elijah says something about sharpening it, and I had forgotten about that component of it, like, oh, so this is something that if he works on it, it will become stronger, which.
Speaker 2: It'll be more than just a feeling.
Speaker 1: It'll be a vision, yeah, which he's now starting to have, right, because I don't think he even sees anything more with that mother and the boy, but he it's more heightened than the slightly imperceptible vision of the gun he had earlier. And then eventually it'll be come with the drug dealer. He can actually see that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think you know the Shyamalan thing. It's funny because it became like escalating like his roles, you know what I mean, Like it was that's really it.
Speaker 2: We've joked about this before, but I'm sorry, father.
Speaker 1: That'xt the what I always think of in science.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I remember watching that. I remember I saw an early screening of that with Sean and I remember just being like, oh, dude, like why would you give yourself such an important role in this movie?
Speaker 1: Yes, we were explaining so much that's happening in the movie, like this is like it's like whatever, I'll go with it. Yeah. I always do find it funny though, when you're watching I'm trying to think of other examples, but when the director is in the film and you're watching the actor you've been following the whole time, talking that character because I always think it's weird. It's like, oh when nailed cut, like that person is telling the main guy what to do, right Otherwise, Like, I just find that it's a funny real.
Speaker 2: World thing that gets into my head when I see stuff like this. See well, it's as we're recording this, I literally just watched Do the Right Thing like an hour ago. Oh in my class, right, and that that is a situation where Spike Lee gave himself the lead role. Yeah right, right right, And you know, the seams show a little bit because he's not a professional actor, But I think it works in the context of that movie because the movie itself is kind of spunky and you know, you know, unrefined, you know, and so his his lack of experience kind of works for that character, you know. And so so I'm I'm like the most generous reading, like maybe Shyamalan was trying to do a Spike Lee as mooky situation.
Speaker 1: You know, Oh, that's interest sting. I didn't even think of it that way. For some reason, I'm thinking of that line from pulp fiction to Samuel Jackson where he's like, you know, personality goes a long way and it's like, you know, maybe there's something too where it's like maybe he's not super refined, but he's got a lot of personality. Personality goes a long way.
Speaker 2: I mean, I Spike definitely and do the right thing. That's what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sorry, I was talking about Spike Lee.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Although it's funny because you talk about pulp fiction, and I would say one of the worst parts of that movie is Quentin's role in the as the the N word saying guy, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, I know. I mean, I'll say it like sort of vacillates for me. Like there's some things he does in there that I do find kind of amusing, you know, And it's like what does he look like Jimmy.
Speaker 2: Or what they look like? Dorks? Look like a couple of dorks.
Speaker 1: Like that's kind of funny. And then the coffee thing too, like you know, I buy the coffee. You know my wife, I know my coffee's good.
Speaker 2: We're talking about Tarantino and and you know, there's a video that I saw where he's talking about this movie and he's like Unbreakable by m Night Shamalama ding dong h And I'm like, I don't know, man, that seems kind of racist to me. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had actually not long ago, someone I said something about Shyamalan and they said that, and I was like.
Speaker 2: Hmm, right, Like, I mean, I don't know if he's okay with it, but I am like, it's I'm like, what you're saying not not your friend, but Quentin. I'm like, what you're saying is more complicated than his actual name.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know, I know. It feels a little dismissive, right, you know, kind of like it felt odd to me to have Tarantino saying that about, you know, a colleague basically, yeah, exactly, a colleague. Yeah, appear, Yeah, it feels I don't know, like again, let's stipulate maybe they know each other and it's hilarious between them. Yeah.
Speaker 2: If I were to guess, I would say that Shyamalan, as an Indian kid growing up in Philadelphia, probably heard that shit all the time time when he was in junior high in high.
Speaker 1: School, right, right, That's that's my guess, right well, and even I mean, that's that's part of his story, right, I mean, night was something that he added himself because it was a little easier for people to say and he kind of adopted that for himself, So you have to imagine that comes from some sort of experience where people aren't saying his name correctly and right. But yeah, man, don't love it, and I also don't love everything Garantino doesn't pulp fiction.
Speaker 2: Or says I should say, We're gonna have to come back and talk through that movie.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I watched like the last thirty minutes, if the last thirty minutes of that movie on TV.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's what I'm Oh, yeah, absolutely thinging the diner. Dude, give me, give me Sam Jackson sitting across a table from Tim Roth for days. Oh.
Speaker 1: I was actually thinking, I've probably seen this movie like ten times something like that all the way through. But that scene I'm sure I've seen at least twenty times. Like I always stop on it. It is just mesmerizing.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and that's I mean, it's the same thing here right again. When you have great performers with interesting dialogue to say, just turn the camera on and let them do their thing.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmmm hmm.
Speaker 2: I do like the sorry real quick, the authenticity of of just shooting in Philadelphia. It reminds me of rocky you know, m yeah, very you know, these just lived in streets. It's it's it's not showy, but it feels it feels real. You know, this house, I feel like I've been in this house, you know. I mean I've been with Philadelphia, but this feels like a house that we've we visited, you know, many times. Totally Oh this right here, this scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna talk about something else, but I was like, nope, can't hit.
Speaker 2: Pause on that. So this see, So you got Joe's if who's holding Chekhov's gun and he's like, well you're a superhero dad, so I'm about to shoot you.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, so good.
Speaker 2: Well what I love is a couple of things, right, the way that plays out in just one shot, right, yes, But the fact that David is not like I'm not super you idiot, or you're gonna kill me. He's like he's trying to not tear down the kid's illusion while still making clear, hey don't shoot me, you know, And that's a trick. And actually I was reading that this is inspired by a real thing that happened to George Reeves.
Speaker 1: Oh really that yeah, well, you know actor who played Superman.
Speaker 2: Who played Superman. I think has alluded to a little bit in Hollywood Land. I haven't seen that movie, but you know, kids would be like, oh, Superman, let me shoot you and so at some show or whatever where he showed up, because he would show up in costume, and back then, apparently it was a lot easier for kids to get a hold of guns, just like well, I guess that has changed actually, But basically he's like, hey, you know, if you shoot and it bounced off me, somebody else could get hurt, right, And the kid puts down the gun. You know, wow, can you imagine?
Speaker 1: No, I mean this scene. So I remembered this scene, like if you asked me to list five sixteensmths movie. I remember this. But rewatching this last night, I was like, this is making my like I am clenching. This is so uncomfortable and like like a couple steps into like an idea that is so realistic and so dangerous and so uncomfortable that it's making me really really uncomfortable to watch it, but in a good way.
Speaker 2: Right, But I didn't see that was our first cut right there?
Speaker 1: Yes, right, I didn't remember the whole escalation with the boy and his belief and his dad. So he hears this story from Elijah and then we see him, you know, hugging his dad reading the paper later and then he's just like, you know, you know, maybe we try these weights, and he's like, well, it could hurt me. He's like, yeah, but let's just try. And then he's like, well, I want to be like you at school. So I was trying to defense like but the dad keeps, you know, kind of turning him down with this idea. So eventually it's like, I'm going to prove it to you, dad, and you know, I'm going to point this gun at you. I love there's this funny line too, and the MILLI He's like, I'll only shoot you once.
Speaker 2: It's like, in a kid's head, that makes all the sense in the world.
Speaker 1: But I was reading Spencer Tree Clark talking about it. There's an oral History in Entertainment Weekly several years ago. It's really good and I recommend it. But he was talking about that scene. So this is quoting Clark. He says, there's that scene in the kitchen where I'm holding the gun up to Bruce Willis. It's a four minute scene all in one take, and we filmed it nine times. It was so taxing on all of us, and not just because it was an emotional scene. Eduardo Sierra, who is our cinematographer, with sweating bullets, and then Shyamalan picks up on that and he goes the camera operator at one point walked off the set because I was like, no, you have to pan here with his line here, and he goes, you're anticipating here. You have to listen to the actors, and he says the guy stormed off and was like, I'm sorry. Oh, so Shaman was like, I'm sorry, come back, and Shaman was saying I felt like the world was going to come to an end if he didn't move at this point or didn't slow down at that point. I remember feeling like, I don't know if I can do the entire shoot like this. Wow, And I mean, can you imagine working with see This is something reminds me about making movies when I was a kid, because and I'm sure you could speak to this too. You were the one holding the camera. You were doing exactly what you wanted. And so when I got older and realized that that's not how filmmaking worked, Like you hire a director of photography, you have camera operators. I remember thinking, oh, that'd be so frustrating because I would know exactly what I want. But I have to trust that a chain of command is going to lead to this one person doing exactly what's in my brain. Yeah, and it sounds like that's exactly what was happening here. Shamlan knew exactly when he wanted the camera to move. It was all intuition and instinct in his brain, and he was frustrated that this other human being didn't have the precise intuition and instinct that he had.
Speaker 2: And real quick, I should say, these these six comics that we see right in the foreground here, yes, I have every single one of those. Do you really I know, I know exactly what comics those are.
Speaker 1: Oh that's great.
Speaker 2: Do they like themes?
Speaker 1: Do they have anything to do possibly with a story.
Speaker 2: Or is it I mean only in a very broad sense, right, I mean, it's just just in that they are superhero stuff and you got you got it because it's Daredevil, Spider Man and Punisher, HM and and all Marvel stuff. So that that itself is very interesting that this movie center is on like made up. Well, they're all made up, but like made up for the movie characters.
Speaker 1: Right, They never say Batman or Super.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the only comics we see are Marvel. So I wonder if that was some kind of a agreement, like, fine, we'll let you use our comics, but you have to only use our comics kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Oh, that makes sense because there was a an action comics looking thing at the beginning.
Speaker 2: It was active comics exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: So we we talked past the the shamal On cameo and I wanted to mention you know that that character ends up being a runner through this whole trilogy because we see him again. We see him again in in Split, but we also see him in Glass where and he recognizes David and he's like, hey, I remember you. You used to work at that stadium, and you know I turned my life around after meeting you.
Speaker 1: I don't even remember.
Speaker 2: That that part I did remember. Now this part hurts me where he just like actively stopping the guy from taking him out of the store, and meanwhile, these comics are just getting wrecked and.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about them rolling over them.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, so this is Elijah's angst because David in fact nearly died, yes, the pool accident. Yeah, so so he's this is him throwing a tantrum over that realization. Basically is it the pool?
Speaker 1: And he also heard about the car accident, right, and he he doesn't know the truth yet, right, that he faked that.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I think this is in reference to the pool. I think, okay, yeah, because yeah, that was like he'd forgotten about that. David had forgotten about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I forgot because yeah, we were talking through it, but he went and confronted David confronted Elijah at the shop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like, hey, my son tried to kill me, so knocked that shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, just going. I was just thinking about we got a little brief scene where the David and his wife are going to go out to dinner and then telling the kid, and I was just thinking, like, man, that kid got off pretty uh for literally talking a handgun and pointing it at his dad. Yeah that was I like that shot though, by the way too, with the low angle with the wheelchair getting pushed through, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah that's great.
Speaker 1: Sorry, yeah gohead.
Speaker 2: No, I was saying, doesn't this kind of remind you of the six sends a little bit of the restaurant in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally same vibe. I wonder if it is, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Very similar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this is sweet. I agree seeing them reconnect.
Speaker 2: She's a Prince fan. That's a good thing.
Speaker 1: That's right, good, good music taste, Robin Wright. You know, it's so funny because I think, of of course, Jenny from Forrest Gump and House are.
Speaker 2: Aka one of the worst people in movie history.
Speaker 1: All right, So you know, I was literally I don't know why, Oh, because it's playing in theaters this month and I want to go see it. And I was just thinking about that movie, and I was thinking, we need to do a commentary, and I was thinking, if we did, I would have to be prepared for the Jenny conversation, and not just not because of you, but just because she is so some would say polarizing. I would say a prism, and I should say I got there way before the world, because I.
Speaker 2: Remember watching that on home video in ninety four or five whenever I saw it on BHS, and I was like, man, she's awful, and it's hard for me because I love Robin Wright. I think she's incredibly sexy, you know, I've loved her since Princess Bride, you know. Yeah, so I understand where forrests coming from. But I'm also like, god, she is the worst.
Speaker 1: Okay to be continued, I have a I have a take on her, and it's a little more generous.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to hearing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but that you actually mentioned it. But I was gonna say the movie I always forget is Princess Bride, And not because I forget the movie, but I don't think of it like, oh, that's the same person. That's Jenny, that's yeah House of Cars, like she just I know she's much younger in that, but I just I always forget that. That's that's Robin right, Yeah, I mean that was like a thing that was a thing until it wasn't anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Kevin Spacey, sure, it's almost like it collapsed, like a like you know, you know, something that collapses. I don't know, I'm sure the phrase will come to me.
Speaker 1: Sorry, what were you saying?
Speaker 2: No, I love that Robin Wright has never stopped working, you know, and she's you know, she's just a consistently good performer and and you know, to to whatever extent I mean, I think this character, you know, I mean, she doesn't get a ton to do, but I think what she gets.
Speaker 1: To do matters. I agree, I agree. I think again this viewing, I appreciated her in this movie more than I think I ever have, realizing how much she's bringing. Even though she doesn't get a ton to do, she's bringing a lot.
Speaker 2: Like I remember being disappointed that she wasn't in class and that they killed off her character in between. I wasn't a fan of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember that too, I do remember that. Yeah, this babysitter is kind of funny. Yeah, it's like, you know, she finds out through the answering machine that they might be moving. She's like, yeah, so thanks for telling me. And then she walks outside it's raining. She's like, oh great, so funny. What a funny, little memorable thing. You know, So you give the actress something to do. You know something else I wanted to bring up real quick because we've been talking about this in our regular episodes. So this movie had a budget of seventy five million. Yeah, it made under one hundred million in the US only ninety five million.
Speaker 2: Remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Worldwide, about two hundred and forty eight million. And what we've been talking about is, you know people who compare movies by their box office and say, basically, this movie won because it made this much at the box office, or this movie lost because it only made this at the box office. But what we were saying recently was, yeah, but movies have long, long, long lives after box office, and it's funny that if we're going to look at that as some sort of worth for a film, it's interesting that we're just looking at one brief moment in time for that film that's right right the box office. So I looked it up and Unbreakable so world you know, under hundred million US two hundred and forty eight million worldwide, made one hundred and twenty three million on home video amazing, Right, So that's way more than it made in the US alone, Right, So it's just value whatever you want to call it, earning. It doesn't end when the box office ends. It continues and it can be even more right after life, and so it's it's global. Theatrical home video puts it almost closer to four hundred million, amazing, which is well crazy.
Speaker 2: This is something that Shamalan talked about where the movie came and you know, it came and went and it did whatever it did, but it really like this. You know, this was at the peak of DVDs.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, yeah, yeah, yeah right, and they and they.
Speaker 2: Put out, you know, a pretty pretty loaded special edition disc and I remember that. Yeah. It came in like a digit pack you folded open and there was like I remember there were like little little lobby cards painted by Alex Ross.
Speaker 1: Oh I don't remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was. It was a pretty sweet deal, I remember, And that was probably two thousand and one, I'm guessing. And regardless, I mean it, it just it. It had a very healthy home video afterlife, to the point where, you know, he talked about this before how he meant this as the first of a trilogy and you know, this was Act one or whatever, and the movie's performance didn't really warrant a sequel and so you just forgot about it. But he said that just he was constantly asked about whether there was going to be an Unbreakable sequel.
Speaker 1: I remember that that would come up a lot with him.
Speaker 2: The funny thing, though, is is I always felt that the movie was fine as is, like it didn't need a follow up, and this is completely separate from what I think about Glass. But I'm just like, in general, I'm like I, you know, I almost thought it worked better as just as a one and done.
Speaker 1: I kind of agree because I remember always thinking, well, where do you go from here? It can only like betray the groundedness that you set up. Yeah, and this, because then it will just have to get a little crazier or something like this.
Speaker 2: This sequence, No, no, I just like this on its own, yeah, right, And I like the sequence on its own, by the Yeah, it's good. The music in this whole scene is terrific, by the way, but yeah, the well, and I guess we'll be able to thread back to this when we get to the ending. But I think this film's ending is almost an admission, like, well, this is how it would play out in real life, Like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, right, right right, you know.
Speaker 2: So, and again I want to say that that's completely separate from what I thought of Glass, which I like you, I have not revisited it since it came out, but I remember being being underwhelmed by it when I did see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it almost felt My memory of it was it was a lot of people sitting in a room just sort of talking. You know, there's like a psychiatrist and three people in a chair. Just I was like, this is not what I imagined. And then basically everyone's dead by the end, and I was like, that's right, what are you doing? Sorry spoiler, but sorry guys truly if you guys haven't seen it. But I am a little curious to go back and see if I'll be a little more Yeah, if I can try to get on its wavelength now that.
Speaker 2: I know we've done a six years of living in the interim, see if that's a change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that and then and just revisiting this and liking it so much, I'm in the universe, so I may as well, you know, go back for Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, Shyamalan talked about how initially the the the Kevin Crumb character from Split was supposed to be the villain in this interesting which and he said, very different, very different, he he he took out like twenty pages from this and just put them in Split.
Speaker 1: Fascinating.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, this I don't even want to call it dreams flashback. I guess films really really effectively, like like so brilliant that you're not even thinking about how brilliant it is, Like it does feel slightly dreamlike. You've got these two actors who do kind of resemble our main actors enough, but they're obscured perfectly, right, so you just hear their voices, which I think is tweaked Bruce Willis, that's right. But yeah, but it's also you're not distracted by any of that either, you know, it's just it's very effective, and we're finally getting to see the thing that they've alluded to a couple times throughout this movie, this car accident that was a big moment in their lives, and we got to see the superhuman strength.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And by the way, this when it slows down here and we see this actor's face, I mean, come on, man, he like right, he does look like he give you Bruce Willis's son amazing. And that's a woner to get all that perfectly. I wonder how many takes a head to do.
Speaker 2: By the way, so the comic book that Elijah was looking at that was like his light bulb moment. It's called Sentry Man, and I kind of love that. And this is not intentional, it couldn't have been, but the characters David and the Sentry are very similar, like Marvel Centry, right, because you know we saw the Sentry and Thunderbolts, right.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: In the in the comic books, he's a little different, right. He's a guy who who was a superhero. He was, but he's he he he has through through various shenanigans. He has that's been erased from his memory. So he goes through life just moros and feeling like there's something missing. And it's the fact that he's a superhero. You know. Again, that's just a weird coincidence because they couldn't have planned that. But interesting, this this sequence is one of the best in the movie. I love the kind of you know, the sort of crucifixion pose that he he puts on, you know. Yeah, but just the music is so great.
Speaker 1: So it's lit incredibly, the tone is incredible. Yeah. Yeah. The use of color, Yeah, I was thinking about it earlier. I mean, how perfect a superhero whose weakness is water. His uniform is a trench coat, yep, or a raincoat. A raincoat. Yeah, you know red.
Speaker 2: Shamalan loves his red and I remember that from the sixth sense. I also like, you know, he he's getting inklings of all these people's evil, but he has to decide, like what's the what do I intervene in? You know?
Speaker 1: Yep? Yep. Well, and also those things are kind of over with, but then he kind of catches something that's still active, right right right, But this is this is see and this is what is interesting about Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like this.
Speaker 1: I mean even just that slow the reframing and the push in and seeing his arms go out like this, and even you know, as a hero figure, the look of that sort of the cloak like look of that rain jacket and everything it just does. Look it cuts a striking figure, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Oh it's great. I mean in this, in this you know, grounded world, that's his superhero costume.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's perfect.
Speaker 2: This movie is so ahead of its time.
Speaker 1: So I wish everyone could have like seen it the way that they would look at it now, because I think it would have been even more beloved. But see, now, this is what's interesting is because now that he's going to become a superhero in this very very grounded movie, well what kind of things is he going to encounter? And all this stuff is really really unpleasant, Like this is real world evil.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know this here this sexual assault.
Speaker 1: Thing, and then the and then what we get to. That's the thing that I remember. You know obviously the people who are being held captive at their house. It's really upsetting. But but that's why it works, you know. That's that's what this movie is, right. You know. It's not someone who's just gonna like try to make mess with a switch track and have two trains go and collide into one another, you know what I mean, Like, it's this is like really really disturbing crap.
Speaker 2: I remember around this time. I mean this is when I was at Columbia and one of one of my loglines or pitches was like a quote unquote realistic superhero story.
Speaker 1: And and I.
Speaker 2: Remember the weekend after this came out, a friend of mine's like, hey, Zachy, they made your movie.
Speaker 1: I was like, I know, son of a, how unnerving is that with the guy opening the door.
Speaker 2: And oh, dude, like it. I remember it creeped me out twenty five years ago and then watching it watching the movie again, I was dreading that part. Isn't that weird? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's it. It's like you can that's a nightmare that you can imagine, you know, like happening. And I mean, now, I you know I always talk about I know we're both like this, but I just one of my favorite things is just fantasy in the real world, you know, And that's what this is.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 1: It's just a slightly elevated fantastical sort of thing but in a very real world. It never betrays the groundedness of real life in this It just introduces these interesting fantastical elements to it. But this is great. I mean, like I was saying, great use of color.
Speaker 2: You got that woman in the red and it's a guy in the orange here, the Orange Man as he's known on the soundtrack. Oh. Really interesting.
Speaker 1: Oh something else I thought was really cool that Shyamalan talked about it's a great shot right there. Oh so great. And then the flair Yeah you were saying no, no, no, just when he had like a full fee behind how to film his visions And this is quoting him, he says, my theory was to shoot his visions from a security camera angle to evoke a feeling that you're catching wrongdoing inadvertently. There's something about that angle that we associate our terrors with.
Speaker 2: That was like interesting yeah, kind of.
Speaker 1: You know, if it was just sort of like a handheld sort of thing and seeing that guy moving around the house, you know, it could be terrifying in a certain way. But just seeing that high angle thing that looks like it could be from like a security camera.
Speaker 2: And the speed is there's like a jitter.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, Yeah, there's just something Yeah, like we're watching something that was captured that we shouldn't be looking at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's perfect right there. Yes, Bruce with the shadow over his eyes. I mean that's like a quintessential superhero look.
Speaker 1: Right, yep, like a Batman or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what I mentioned before, I mean I remember the DVD set that came with those those painted cards. It was you know, it was Bruce willistre imagine that, but painted by Alex Ross.
Speaker 1: Right. See that's the thing, because now that I'm more familiar with Alex Ross, I'm eager to look those up and see them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's see if I can find them. This whole sequence to pretty brilliantly played out, where again we get these long takes but also no music. You know this, and then you know the fight that that happens in a little bit. I really you appreciate it even more now just how completely you know, it avoids the tropiness of like some choreographed thing or whatever. There's there's just a raw brutality to it, which is more reflective of.
Speaker 1: Like what it would likely be, right Oh yeah, yeah, the fight, Yeah absolutely, and even just the deliberateness, the patience. You did not have to speed things up or make interesting angles to captivate us here, we're already captain because I mean, this is such a great long shot here of him walking through this house, because it's like we do feel like we're standing in a place we don't understand that they're watching him walk through a house he doesn't know, like we were getting that. It's evoked here. Oh this stuff too, like this, the shadows, and I mean this, this is why I'll show I don't care what he makes. I'll just always show up. Because at the very least I'm hoping for another one of these. No, no, no, At most i'm hoping for another of these. But at least I'm hoping that there's at least one moment that touches this, and if it does, I am happy. Have you gotten that with his recent you know, yeah, I would say, at least there's been moments. I think it's interesting how his tone has kind of changed over the years. I mean, they do feel a little more intentionally campy.
Speaker 2: Sure, Trap, certainly trap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, but he like cabin in the I always say it wrong, not at the cab and in the woods.
Speaker 2: That's not knock at the cabin, right, yeah, I confuse it with the other one. Isn't it a knock at the cabin?
Speaker 1: I think so, But I actually thought that was one of his best in recent years. It's just I mean, it's an unpleasant movie, unfortunately, but it's really the cabin, by the way, not at the cabin, but it's it's him. His gifts are on display in that movie telling that story.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: So this, yeah, this imagery like kids tied up to it's really upsetting, but it feels like it belongs in this movie, and and it's very satisfying seeing him conquer what feels like a real life monster.
Speaker 2: Right right, yeah, Well that's exactly it. I think the that's the ironic thing. I mean, the mission statement of this movie cannot be more clear. And yet that was something that that Disney was basically like, sh sure don't talk about what the movie's actually about.
Speaker 1: Right, See. I even love this with the drapes.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's great.
Speaker 1: I mean I could imagine someone getting tripping over this and being like this feels a little too I don't know, forced or something, or someone in love with what they're doing. But like I'm like, yeah, but it works.
Speaker 2: No, No, for this, it absolutely works. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean we've got these billowing drapes in the wind and they part to reveal what's in the room behind them to tell us what we need to know. We see David entering, then the drapes cover him. Then the drapes open on the other side, and we see this woman tied to a radiator and say, oh gosh, this is horrifying. That smash cut to the guy ugh and again, I mean, we're watching a superhero moment. We're watching super or Kryptonite get shoved in Superman's face, but it's filmed differently. What I love is that the weakness totally makes sense too, right, Like he's got such dense bones that of course he would drown.
Speaker 2: Hmm. Like it's it's a logical weakness, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I didn't even think about that oh, I see the pictures you sent me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so cool, isn't it neat? Yeah? I got it.
Speaker 1: This did make me oh, no, go ahead, go ahead, no, no, go ahead, no this no, please, we should talk about this at a hand.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's freaking terrifying that that overhead shot of him with on the water with the tarp. I mean, that's like that's nightmare sauce right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's nightmare sauce for us. Yeah, exactly on that tarp on top of the pool. And then yeah, the way that it shows each like it's slowly slipping over the edge of the pool, so it's going into the water and enveloping him and bringing him to the bottom, and that'd be scary for us. But then knowing that he has an extra hard time in water, I mean, this should be the end. But then of course we get the pole going through the wall because he untied those kids and the kids get him out.
Speaker 2: There's there's the line earlier in the movie where Elia just says like, oh, it's it's your kryptonite, and that just it made me think of the in Superman The New Superman where they got that one there. It's like the Lex Luthor's talking to the talking the round table, and one guy's like, what's that? What's his kryptonite? It's called kryptonite. That made me laugh.
Speaker 1: It's so funny because as horrifying as his whole sequence is, there is like a feeling of levity in this moment seeing the two kids just sort of standing side by side.
Speaker 2: Here, I was wonder about that. I'm like, why aren't they?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Why are they? What was the direction there? You know what?
Speaker 1: For me, this ties into the comic book framing. Watch this, like how he stands, then we get his boots planted in the ground in the cape, and then the two kids looking at him like he's a damn hero.
Speaker 2: So you think that's Bruce Willis or is that a body double?
Speaker 1: That is a fantastic question. If he got out of the pool in that same shot, which I think he probably about a double, just a guess with this, good lord, it's like, see so.
Speaker 2: This here now think about the the the prevised, choreographed version of this fight, yes versus just raw brutality one shot? Yes, you know, and I love that he's got him in a hold that is in fact unbreakable.
Speaker 1: Oh very good. But just the way that he's even like lifting him off the ground, but he just he won't be moving like Yeah, it's I wonder how many times they had to do this. And the way that whenever he bumps into the wall, he's wall denting the dry wall.
Speaker 2: I think that's Bruce Willis being flung around like I.
Speaker 1: Do not I was even thinking because it feels like it must be a little bit of a lighter person for that guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but the music. I can hear the music right now because I've heard this score so much and it's so just after what we've been through for the past ten minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so cathartic. Well, and I just I mean, I gotta be honest, probably one of my favorite superhero themes of all time. Yeah, you know, it's such a simple motif, but there's so many different orchestrations of it. Yeah, this track the Orange Man. I must have listened to this, I don't even know how many times.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, same, that's how we found each other.
Speaker 2: I know, right this this soundtrack was like my writing music. I remember that I used to put it on because this again, this is when I was at Columbia, and I was like writing, you know, i'd have a script or something end to turn in or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yep, I would. I'd put it in things that I made. And oh yeah, yeah, I mean I have to call out the mom just I can feel myself getting emotional seeing the mom fall over. Yeah, and I hate it, but I also feel like it fits.
Speaker 2: It's truthful.
Speaker 1: It's truthful.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then of course this is so sweet. I was reading about this. I was curious about this. So he he has this moment with his wife and she was like, when did you know that we might not work out? And he tells a story about well, I had a nightmare and I didn't wake you to tell you. And so then after this horrifying thing, you know, he takes her out of the room the separate room, brings her up to his room, says he, honey, I had a nightmare. Ah lovely. And I was wondering because him carrying her, there's a little bit of a floating quality to it. And I do wonder if you know, she was on some sort of cable or something.
Speaker 2: I was thinking, but it's like like a rig of some kind.
Speaker 1: It wasn't It was just no no, no, I'm guessing the same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I love it.
Speaker 1: It's really lovely and it's a it's a very stylized shot, but it's a very effective one.
Speaker 2: See. I think what she should have said is like, well now I'm awake now, so thanks for ruining my sleep as well. That would have been more truthful.
Speaker 1: That's really funny. Yeah, I had some note here. I can't find it, but I was reading that. Yeah, it took like eleven hours to shoot that. It was so complicated.
Speaker 2: Good lord, just ticking her up the stairs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, goodness, Yeah, it is not crazy. Oh yeah, this is him from that Oral History says that was incredibly difficult shot, which I remember it took us forever to accomplish.
Speaker 2: I think it was eleven hours. Is Shyamalan saying that, Yeah, good lord crazy. I wonder if Willis was regretting agreeing to be in this movie.
Speaker 1: Of course, this is a sweet moment, you know, Well, it's nice that he gets to see Oh I didn't even notice that they're touching. That's been a wife there, which they wouldn't at the beginning. But then this is a nice moment between him and his son. The son finally gets the payoff, you know, of believing his dad is superhuman?
Speaker 2: See would be what would be funny is like as they make eye contact and Bruce Willis is kind of like like gives him the smile and then and then Joseph like holds up the gun like eh, and He's just like no, and he has to put the gun down again.
Speaker 1: And by the way, why why are you carrying that? Do you have that in your pajama pants?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: By the way, something of I remember this from originally seeing this him the boy untwisting the orange juice and see this, I was like, I think this is the fastest anyone moves in this entire movie. I remember it alway kind of stood out to because everything is so deliberately paced, and that felt like the first natural more quickly paid.
Speaker 2: That's because you had a Tropicana rep who was on set who was like, you do not make people think, are you know? Bottle cap is hard to take off?
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right, but this is great. Yeah, him sliding the paper over.
Speaker 2: So yeah, check out that ship right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I gets to see that. But it's so cute, you know, the Sunles said, like you He's like but then he's like, don't I thought this was kind of funny where he's just like, don't tell your mother. I was like, you know, it's like you guys are just kind of repairing a sort of thing.
Speaker 2: I never already. This is a massive secret from her. Now like their their their whole.
Speaker 1: Relationship began with like something he was keeping from her with the car accident and the football career, and now like they've repaired things and he's got a new secrets. But I mean, yeah, we talk about Bruce Willis's performance, and I mean the kid here, the kid, yeah, but just that that look, the little pleading look, but also sort of I don't know, a sweetness they're sharing right here.
Speaker 2: See. I liked him in this. I like Spencer treat Cary. I think I said before in Gladiator I found him slightly annoying because I got a little bit of Mike Myers as Simon vibe from him. Are you the Spaniard? Are you? Are you?
Speaker 1: And he's like when he's like playing with that sword as he's talking, Yeah, you know, that's so funny.
Speaker 2: I think it was right about here where I was like, oh, so, Elijah's like definitely the villain then, because his mom like not just what she says, but the way she says it. There's really two villains.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I wish I could remember how I felt, but last night I do remember thinking when she said that, it feels pretty obvious.
Speaker 2: It's really on the nose. The other villain is in a wheelchair.
Speaker 1: Perhaps I imagine his office is filled with the blueprints.
Speaker 2: He may have a purple trench code. Possibly, I'm just giving her British accent.
Speaker 1: A cane made out of unusual material for a cane.
Speaker 2: By the way, so we've talked to the whole movie, So David Dunn, is itself such a great reference to comic book lore where you have a superhero alter egos with alliterative names Peter such as Clark Kent, Peter Parker, Read Richards, Matt Murdoch, Bruce Banner. We can keep going, but kind of the subtle thing, you know. I like that.
Speaker 1: I think that's where I first learned that was watching the behind the scenes stuff on the DVD. Hash I'm funny talking about it. Yeah, that's really fun like first clocked it, like I'll be darned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was something that like when they made the Incredible Hawk television show in the seventies. Kenneth Johnson, who created that, was the reason that he renamed instead of Bruce Banner, it was David Banner mm because he didn't like how comic book names were alliterative and he didn't want the show to be very comic book.
Speaker 1: Ye oh, funny, although I.
Speaker 2: Think people would have clocked the comic book aspect by the fact that he turns into a big green anker.
Speaker 1: That's kind of funny. But you know what, Kenneth Johnson went on to direct Short Circuit too, So I trust well that.
Speaker 2: Is Hey, you know what, he's a good man. I've interviewed him.
Speaker 1: I remember, I remember you sent me the clip of him talking about short circuit.
Speaker 2: Yeh yeh, I said, my friend Brian loves short circuit too. Can you tell a short circuit two story? And he more than happily obliged dreams. Do you love this? Here? He's like, I think this is where we shake hands, like this is like now he knows like you're to touch that. Now I have to tell you my role in this.
Speaker 1: You know, yep, it's great, you know, and so this and this is horrifying the security cam pov here. Yeah, and see I can see people still going along with this. I'm talking about general audiences and going.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, the the jitteriness as he walks out of the frame.
Speaker 1: And yeah, yeah, the speed ramping or whatever you were saying. No, but then it just suddenly does this freeze frame and puts text on the screen like yeah, and then David called the Cops and Lies Now and Insane Asylum directed by him night Shyam Lane and I really do feel like you were walking such a delicate walk, and that might have been the thing that that threw off so many people, because otherwise I could still see people tracking with this, and you know, if they had been on the ride so far.
Speaker 2: So I watched this with my daughter last night and it gets to that part at the end and it has that text, and she goes, so, so this is all real and and I, oh, right, Like she thought it was like a documentary.
Speaker 1: You know, that's funny because usually that, yeah, that happens at the end of like biopics exactly.
Speaker 2: So I said, no, it's just made up, and she goes, that's weird. I was like, Yeah, a lot of people felt that I do.
Speaker 1: Always actually kind of find it weird when they do that in fictional fictional.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they did there with three Kings if you remember, actually they'll but that worked for me. So I don't know, but that because the whole tone is in that vein.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's true. But apparently early previews of the movie and some in France and certain other places, they didn't have the text.
Speaker 2: It would have been better without it, I think, so, for sure it would have been better without it.
Speaker 1: But I can understand.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I would kind of like to see the original ending. What I read was basically what happens, and you can look this up online. Actually I have it right here.
Speaker 2: This is real quick. Yeah, you know, there's something about the way Bruce willis, the way he goes Jesus Christ, the way he says that. It's like the subtle thing, but it's it's there's something so honest about his delivery of that. Yeah, that is right here, just the way it's like it's like he's struggling to get the words out right, and it's so perfectly encompasses the scope of the betrayal. He must be feeling, right, you know, it's a little thing. But I've always that's always just the way he the way he plays this moment is fantastic.
Speaker 1: Because it's not big exactly. Yeah, I'm not a mistake you say that. I remember you saying this, like I associate this line with you for some reason.
Speaker 2: I don't know why. It was the kids. Well, I've said before with reference to don Old Trump at the twenty eleven White House Correspondence dinner where Obama was like dunking on him. You remember that, right, And I was like, that was his mister Glass moment, right right, right right, He's like they called me mister Glass. But like and and here we are, fourteen years later, still dealing with that shit.
Speaker 1: But this, this is what I'm talking about, Like, you have that moment, like you're saying, like he's Bruce Willison is doing like a real, understated, realistic reaction to this, and him walking away and then suddenly freeze frame. David Done called the cops later, and you're like, whoa, whoa. It's like it's a jarring.
Speaker 2: Scene to me. Well, here, okay, I first of all worth mentioning that last shot of Elijah smiling. That's like the first time in the whole movie. He smiles, Yeah, because now he understands Now he knows his purpose, right, Yeah, I think the movie would have worked better without the text Elijah Price is now in a insane asylum or whatever it says. But I think the polarizing reaction would have been no matter what I think.
Speaker 1: So no one I think, because there's no button at the end or anything. And I just want to read this real quickly, just because I have it. I thought this was interesting. So this is from a draft. I'm not saying this is the shooting draft. I don't know for sure, but basically, after Elijah said his thing, it says, David looks like he stopped breathing. As he backs up in the store, Customers step between him and Elijah. Elijah becomes obscured and then blocked from view an exterior street. David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car, and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish days. We pull back as David done blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people walking on ordinary street in an ordinary city. Fade to black, like there's just a little bit more time to let the thing I'm not saying that that would have made everybody like love it, but it just happens really abruptly.
Speaker 2: I feel, Okay, well, a couple points. I think fundamentally, the problem with the ending, no matter whether the one you just read or the one in the movie, is it doesn't really give us a moment of catharsis.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying, Yes, exactly, no matter what.
Speaker 2: And the other problem and and really the problem is a bit because because the Catharis is Elijah's, right, He's the one who has this release of emotion, and fundamentally we're not gonna right. The other problem, and this is not an unbreakable problem, it's a sixth sense problem, is that the sixth sense just happened to have the greatest twist of all time. And so people went into this one being like, oh, give me more of that. Yeah, And and that's that's the essential, you know what I mean, Like like he he he hit a home run and so the next time, you know, he only got on base. Yeah, That's that's how people perceived it, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's too bad because again I can live with it because I love this movie as a whole, Right, but I can totally see where that that is, this little hiccup at the end unfortunately after such like a really really strong.
Speaker 2: And I don't know what he could have done to address that. I just think I think that the nature of the story was such that, like, you know, unless you yeah, I don't know, you know, I think the way it's structured, there's nothing. I was like, maybe if you find a way to end it on the emotional high point of David reconciling with his wife or whatever, but you still got to do the Elijah reveal, and you can't do that before totally well.
Speaker 1: You know what's interesting too is Nina Jacobson, who's the president of production at Disney at the time. She was saying, this is again from the Oral History, which I highly recommend if you're a fan of this movie. It's Entertainment Weekly. She said, this is a quote I remember conversations about the ending. The hero walking away from the villain always troubled me, and so I wonder if that's another thing with the text where it's like, well, David did something about it, because if he did, just you know, he's basically talking to this terrorist and then just kind of whoa man, I can't believe it and it just walks away.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: That wouldn't feel quite right either.
Speaker 2: Well, so this, this is the thing going back to what I was saying before, Like, in real life it would be you that's what happened. What would happen. You'd go to the cops be like, hey, that guy's a terrorist and then they would arrest him. That's like what would happen in real life. M Right. So based on the grounded ethos of the film, it's consistent with that. The problem is we reflexively audiences are conditioned to want that moment where the hero defeats the villain. Right, So this is what this gets to what I've said to you before. You always have that scene in movies where the hero is about to beat the bad guy and then it's like, no, you're not worth it, and then the bad guy does something that forces the hero to kill them. Yeah, so that you get to have your cake and eat it too, man.
Speaker 1: So what how what is I don't know, a little button or catharsis we get because I again I like, I don't mind the down ending.
Speaker 2: No, I kind of like it.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, it's just the yeah, that little.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is amusing to me that your friend Opening Night had such a visceral reaction.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it was a big react. Well it said, yeah, she was literally telling people not to go. I'll never forget that. That was so funny.
Speaker 2: But like, what was the size of your group?
Speaker 1: Something like four people maybe?
Speaker 2: Okay? So was it like fifty to fifty? Man?
Speaker 1: I wish I could remember, because she's the thing I remember most, but I would be willing to about. We were mostly like in favor. I loved it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, see, I remember seeing it Opening Night and I liked it. I definitely liked it, but I didn't love it. And then the more I got to revisit it, the more I grew to appreciate all the things that happened in it. You know, I remember because this was Fall of two thousand, right, so fall of O one? Was it all one? Yeah? It must have been. I had a suspense thriller class at Colombia and the professor showed it, and so I got to re experience it. I was like, oh, man, you know this really works. And then I remember shortly after that, I went and bought the DVD and I watched it a bunch of times, and so it was definitely it was like again, I I came out of theater having liked it a lot, but I definitely remember being like, well, it's not as good as the sixth sense, you know, sure, And it took me a little bit to be like, oh, it's doing something totally different, you know. Yeah, yeah, man, I mean what can imagine trying to follow up the sixth cents? That's that's what I'm saying, right, I mean, it's it's that's a tough that's a tough situation to be in, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean but you you said it perfectly already. But that movie has the perfect when the reveal happens, it has the most perfect swell of all time, you know, and and helping us understand what happened, and then he also gets a goodbye, you know. Yeah, it's like.
Speaker 2: It's it's it contains the Catharsis within it along with the shock of I mean, everything works, you know, and you know, I I I think that's the mistake he made. It was trying to become twist ending guy, right, you know, but I again, I don't know how you do Unbreakable without the twist you have to have the twist. It is kind of essential. I like it.
Speaker 1: I like the twist. I like the so that that's the villain was was here's the villain all along and he was rooting this person out and that sucks. That's kind yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but hey, let us know your thoughts on Unbreakable or let us know your thoughts on our thoughts on Unbreakable. You can email us at Movie Film Podcast dot gmail dot com. You can also hit like on our Facebook page Facebook dot com slash movie Film Podcast and message us there. As always, please go to Apple Podcasts and leave a review. Also on Spotify, and hey, if you're listening to this on YouTube, hit subscribe, hit like, and by all means leave some comments there. We also have a Patreon Brian, that's right.
Speaker 1: If you head over to patreon dot com slash moviefilm podcast and hit subscribe for only five dollars a month, you'll find every commentary we've ever done in every episode moving forward, absolutely ad free. Our free feed will always be available, but this is our way of providing what we believe is the most satisfying way to enjoy the show. No random interruptions or ads cutting into the conversation. Plus, your subscription goes a long way and helping to support us and helping to sustain producing the show. So if you're interested in able, please head over to patreon dot com slash moviefilm podcast and subscribe. We'd be very grateful.
Speaker 2: There we go, and if you're looking for me online, you can find me on social media at Zachi's corner. That's the Akis Corner. You can also find my reviews and writing at the San Francisco Chronicle and also at IGN and The Rap What About You, Brian, You can.
Speaker 1: Find episodes I've written of Puppy Dog Pals and Young Jedi Adventures streaming on Disney.
Speaker 2: Plus and with that on behalf of my partner Brian Holm. My name is Zachi asand this has been our movie film commentary track four Unbreakable. We'll catch you next time. Thanks folks,