Speaker 1: Welcome back to Gray Matters, the podcast of the Seaboarding Gray Center for the Study of the Administrative State. I'm jace LINCTON, the Gray Center's Policy and Strategy Director. This episode is the final panel discussion from our October conference. You will hear Judge Naomi Row from the DC Circuit and Judge Stephen Minashi from the Second Circuit talk with Aaron Nielsen from the University of Texas at Austin about how lowber Bright has affected the way they approach their jobs as judges.
Speaker 2: Enjoy Before we jump in and I introduced the moderator, I just want to say just a brief word about one of our other speakers.
Speaker 3: On this panel. It happens that this year.
Speaker 2: Is the tenth anniversary of the founding of the Seaboarding Gray Center. It wasn't originally called the Seaboarding Gray Center. It was called just the Center for the Study of the Administrative State. Rolls off the tone it was found I always tell students when I'm introduced. Sometimes I'm introduced as running the Center for the Administrative State. I say, no, that's actually Yale. But it was founded ten years ago by Professor Naomi Row. At Scalia Law School now Judge Naomi Row. She led the Center for its first several years before being called into public service, first at AIRA and the bench, and when she went into government, she said, Adam, could you possibly run the Grace Center for a year until I come back a year or two. I'm now eight years into my one year side job, but I'm enormously grateful for that.
Speaker 3: She grades me every year I get a report card.
Speaker 2: But in all seriousness, I do want to say, since she's here and it's the tenth anniversary, everything we do now, even ten years later, is basically just an outgrowth of what she started ten years ago, whether it's the conferences, the research round tables. If she were to come back tomorrow, and you're welcome anytime, if she were to come back tomorrow, it would all look very familiar to her. We're very grateful to get to do what we do based on the foundation that she laid for it, and the fact that she gets to be that we get to invite her here today as a speaker is an extra treat I also I'll just point out with Judgemanashy, we have a reunion of the Scalia Law faculty Alumni Society. I see Judge Mnashi himself was the Scalia law professor and an early supporter of the Gray Center's work. I've already introduced Professor Nielson once before, but for those who missed the Panel of Federal Reserve, I'll just say very briefly, he is a professor of law at U T. Austin and a senior fellow at the Civitas Institute. He just returned to academia from service in the Solicitor General's Office in Texas. He was the Solicitor General for the state of Texas, and if you heard his brief but notable criticisms of California in the Federal Reserve panel, you'll know he still is very much a Texan.
Speaker 3: But we are grateful that Aaron joined.
Speaker 2: Us not once but twice today, and now I'll turn it over to him.
Speaker 3: Thanks sir.
Speaker 4: All right, that's probably the first time I've actually ever been called the Texan.
Speaker 3: I will take that.
Speaker 4: I spent ten years as a professor at b YU, and suddenly, out of the blue, I became Solicitor General of Texas, and it took a while for me to feel comfortable walking into court saying I'm here on behalf of the state of Texas. I never got the cowboy boots that head Cruise used to wear to court, but you know, I'm honored to be here with two of my favorite people, Judges Rao and Minashi. I want to start. We all know who you are, but just quick who you are. Judge Mnashy is a judge on the Second Circuit. He was a professor at George Mason Antonin Scalley School of Law, and he was a high ranking official in the first Trump administration. Any clerk for Justice Alito. Judge Row was also used to be a professor at Mason. She also was a high ranking official in the first Trump administration. She was head of Leleira and she previously clerk for Justice Thomas. But I'm gonna say something different about both of you. I like to say this about our whenever we have guests, is like a nice thing about them. And twenty years ago, I was an intern for Judge.
Speaker 3: Row in the White House.
Speaker 4: She was my boss, and Judge Row is one of the best bosses I've ever had.
Speaker 3: We had a lot of fun together.
Speaker 4: So when I was going on to get to try to get a clerkship. She was my clerkship letter writer, so we had been friends forever for so week.
Speaker 3: Yeah well, yeah, well we'll talk about that.
Speaker 4: And then while I was clerking, I met Judge Mnashy. I was clerking for Judge Janice Rogers Brown and he was clerking for Judge Doug Ginsburg, who we just saw earlier today. And I will say among the clerks, we all knew that Judge Mnashi was gonna go something famous because he was so scholarly, even among the clerks, and we're a very nerdy bunch, and even then he's like, oh wow, like Steve and Judge Vanashi was like so far into it in ways that we all learned from. So I'm just grateful to be here for both of you. And today we're going to talk about judging after a lower bride, in other words, in the world where no more Chevron deference. So we thought it'd be interesting to hear from a judge on the second circuit and a judge on the DC Circuit.
Speaker 3: And how it's going.
Speaker 4: So I'm gonna start with just a general kind of table setting question, which is like how do you do interpretation, like just your just do we know of the audience, like, what is your approach to interpretation generally, and then we can see how that fits into.
Speaker 3: Chevron and lower Bride.
Speaker 4: So we'll start, I guess with you, Judge Vanashi, Well, thanks very much.
Speaker 3: That was very gracious, and I'm delighted to be here.
Speaker 5: It's good to be back at school of law school sort of in this hotel, but I'm delighted to be part of it. In terms of, you know, how you approach tatutory interpretation questions, I kind of thought it would be less interesting to just say we're all textualists who start with the text and focus on it. So I thought maybe i'd sort of point out some areas where there might be disagreements even among.
Speaker 3: Textualists, but I have a view.
Speaker 5: So one of them is so, of course you do start with the text of the text is what is controlling, you know, but context also matters a lot, right, So there's Sam Bray wrote an article I really like about the mischief rule about what the mischief is that the legislature was trying to get at. I think that that is a legitimate thing for somebody to think about and understanding the meaning of a text, you know, the mischief against which it was directed. Two is it is coherent talk about statutory purpose. You don't override a text with an unenacted purpose that you discover in the legisative history, but it is you do. The statute is meant to accomplish something and has to be coherent overall. I think that you do think about statutory purpose to some extent. Three is you know legislative history. As I just mentioned, there are very improper uses of it. But I tend to think if you're willing to look at the federalist papers to understand the meaning of the Constitution, there might be some cases in which the contemporaneous legislative history could illuminate how the language of the statute was understood. You know, I do think that the Justice Scalia prohibition and legislative history is generally prophylactic. I think actually it was Justice Alito who said at some point that Justice Scalia told judges to avoid legislative history of the way you tell an alcoholic to avoid alcohol.
Speaker 3: I meaning that it is pretty prophylactic because there are very bad uses of it.
Speaker 5: But I don't know if there needs to be categorically off the table.
Speaker 3: And I guess.
Speaker 5: The fourth thing that occurs to me is sometimes this goes under the heading of legal versus ordinary meaning. Sometimes you read some textualists and you'd think, generally you just do the ordinary language linguistic meaning of the statute. But then there are some exceptions when there's a legal term of art or legal terms, and I tend to think that legal language is more pervasive. And ultimately, our goal is to determine the law that the text creates, and sometimes that means it's not exactly what the linguistic meaning of the text is. So so anyway, so I do think that we are rooted in the text, but those are some areas where there's some disagreements, even among self described textualists.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's very helpful. I think we're going to have a theme today, which is that Steve and I are going to agree on a lot of things. So Aaron, your job will be to try to find areas where maybe we don't agree. But I very much take all the things that you said, you know, in general, I start with the text. I often read not just the provisions that are issued, but the entire public law that the provision is a part of. Right looking at the structure. Oftentimes you get meaning from looking at all the pieces together. And I taught a taught statutory interpretation for I think almost eleven years at George Mason, and I used to say to my students, and I think I believe this even more now as a judge, which is that interpretation is in part science, but a lot of it is an art. And you know, in Lopra Bright, the Supreme Court says we have to find the best meaning of the statute. And I agree very much with Steve that that often requires not just being you know, kind of a high bound literalist as to, you know, looking up the words in the dictionary, but really thinking about what the words mean in context. You know, what was what is this law trying to do? You know, are there any constitutional or common law backdrops that inform the meaning of the statute. And you really need to think of all of those things together to find ultimately the best meaning of the law. So even I think for people who are committed formalists and committed textual there's a fair amount of judgment that's involved. And I think if you read Justice Gale's opinions, not necessarily his essays or speeches. You can see that. You can see the kind of judgment he applied statutory interpretation, which is often much more wide ranging than you know. Just read the text, Read the text, Read the text.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, I guess we'll get into Chevron Loperbright in a second. But on this subject you will see different judges who will say, well, all right, you've just put everything in the mix. I'm much more going to be look at the purpose with this lot supposed to accomplish.
Speaker 3: Do we want that?
Speaker 4: Do we want all judges to be having the same general not just broad theory, but like how they actually do it. Do we want all judges to do the same or do we want pluralism and how judges are trying to read things? Like what I mean, if everybody is doing the same way, we're seeing the same answers on all of the questions. So what's going on? Explained?
Speaker 5: Different answers because sometimes the questions are hard. I mean, sometimes you do have to.
Speaker 4: Do but are we all doing the same thing? Are like your colleagues doing the same thing?
Speaker 5: As a practical matter, not everybody is doing the same thing. I think not everybody agrees on the method, right, So like I do think that the move toward textualism has changed the kind of outer boundaries. Like sometimes you read opinions from the DC circuit in the nineteen seventies and they're like from a different world, Like there is a disregard of the text that I don't think is possible. Now everybody roots their answers, you know, at least in the text, but a lot of judges might resort to ambiguity much more quickly than other judges. They might say, well, the text is actually ambiguous, not because of something in the text, but because I think Congress had this purpose and the purpose doesn't seem to match the text, and that's ambiguous, then I'm going to use some other principle. And so you know that's not exactly textualism, even the fly.
Speaker 3: Under that banner. So I do think there is a diversity of a substantive approaches.
Speaker 5: So there's lot of agreement, but then you're going to have disagreements even because as Nao and I just said, like a lot of it is more hard than science, and so people like comes to different conclusions even if they agreed on the methodological principles.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think one difference is and I agree with Steve that not everyone is maybe a true textualist. Right, So Justice Kagan famously said we're all textualists now, but I'm not sure that all the lower court judges have gotten that memo from Justice Kagan. So I think one of the differences is is you know, you mentioned that we said there are a number of sources that go into finding meaning. I think maybe one of the main differences is do you use those other sources to get at the meaning of the text of the statute, which is what I would say we should do. Right? Is this a common law term? What is the common law meaning versus looking at sources maybe outside the text, you know, public policy? Does this make sense? Is it consistent with the broader purpose of the statue or with some you know, preferred outcome. And I think that is a big difference in how people are doing this enterprise of interpretation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the kind of the classical distinction between textualism and purposeivism. And I guess as it's been explained is the textualist gives priority to the semantic content of the text because they say, well, the text is the vehicle by which, you know, you could have the democratic process operate. Maybe people in the minority extracted some kind of concession to the text and some kind of compromise, and the vehicle by which they couldn't negotiate is the precision of the text, which might go so far but not further in the pursuit of some kind of goal based on that kind of give and take. And I think the purposivist says, you know, not unreasonably. Come on, people don't really think about the text that way. You know, they were trying to achieve some kind of policy, and so they would prioritize the policy content over it, you know, over the semantic content, because they don't really believe that anybody parses the text.
Speaker 3: I think that's the basic disagreement.
Speaker 5: And even if there aren't as many people who go around calling themselves non textualists like I think that that still is a delighting line among judges.
Speaker 4: Okay, so now we come to Chevron, on which for decades the familiar two step process or by the end like eight steps. But we had the rule, you know, is there an ambiguity. If so, is the agency's interpretation reasonable. Lower Bright comes along and says, no, no, no, we're not doing that.
Speaker 3: Anymore.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 4: I guess the question that I have for the two of you is, I mean, what do you think of lowber Bright itself as a judicial opinion? I know you're follow it regardless, but what do you think was it right?
Speaker 3: Was it wrong?
Speaker 4: What do you think of the Court's analysis in the case itself?
Speaker 6: I mean, I think lowper Bright was a great decision, maybe no surprise to me. Lower Bright was maybe less of a c change than some people made it out to be. I mean, I think Loper Bright sort of described what the court was. The Court hadn't applied Chevron in some whatever eight or ten years before it decided Loperbright, and frankly, in my work, I didn't. I'm not sure if I've ever cited Chevron in any of my cases. And it seems to me that Loper Bright describes the way that we should be looking at agency action, which is there's first a question of you know, there's a question like does the statute allow the agency to do what it did right? And what's the best meaning of the statute? Does it give the agency this authority? And maybe properly understood that was always how Chevron Step one was supposed to work. So to me, that that idea, and I think an idea that's repeated throughout Loperbright, which is that the judiciary is independent and it has an independent Article three obligation and responsibility to say what the law is. Means that you can't defer to the executive branch on legal interpretation. And that seems to me entirely correct and consistent with the text and structure of the Constitution.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, in a way, you know, it's a pretty the modest decision. It didn't say it's unconstitutional for Congress to make delegations to agencies. It just said, Chevron relandimus presumption that whenever there's an ambiguity in a statute that itself is a delegation, that Congress wouldn't have wanted the ambiguity resolved by the agency. And that's just an unjustified presumption. Right, So the Congress said, and the APA the course decide questions of law. That is a question of law, and so the default rule is maybe Congress should decide that question. I mean, the way I had always thought about chev Run difference is that there's sort of two basic kinds of cases. There's one case where Congress uses a word like reasonable, like tells the agency put the transmitters a reasonable distance from each other.
Speaker 3: And then when somebody comes in.
Speaker 5: And says, well, the agency is acting unlawfully because they put them fifteen feet apart instead of twenty feet apart, you know, is that right? And the truth is you don't really need a special doctrine for that, because what the agency is doing, it's not interpreting the word reasonable to mean fifteen feet or twenty feet. It's just acting within a kind of range of implementation authority that Congress has left unspecified. So the person should fail set claim if this action doesn't dictate that it's fifteen rather than twenty feet, and so there wasn't really a need for it in that case. Then there's another kind of case where everybody agrees that Congress has spoken to the issue, like there's some kind of specific text on point, and you think that Congress had an answer in mind, but people are disputing have best to interpret it. And in that kind of case, there's no reason to think that Congress would have wanted the agency to decide like they weren't leaving something unspecified. They had in mind some kind of an answer and so that's the kind of case that courts should address. And I kind of think Lilber Bright says in that kind of case, there's no reason to think that there's a delegation to the agency. The presumption is that Congress would have wanted the courts to decide that question and to enforce whatever the answer was that Congress wanted. And then the other kind of case, where it's open textured or there's an express delegation of the agency to define a term or something, that's just what the statute means, and you can enforce it by, you know, making sure that the agency is acting within the bounds of its discretion. But it's sort of misleading to even think about that as a delegation of interpretive authority when it is something like implementation, right, So I think it also clarifies that.
Speaker 4: So you're both pro Lope or Bright, we know that's not true for all administrative last collars, and certainly for all judges.
Speaker 3: One of the things that.
Speaker 4: I used to use back when I would write articles about Chevron, which I don't write anymore, was there was an article in twenty eighteen by Judge Posner and Abby Gluck where they did a survey of federal appellate judges around the country, and they ask them a whole bunch of things.
Speaker 3: But one of the things that.
Speaker 4: They found was a difference between DC Circuit judges and others about Chevron.
Speaker 3: And this is a quote. All but one of the d.
Speaker 4: C Circuit judges we interviewed, who are of different generations and political parties, were admirers of Chevron difference, whereas most other judges from the other courts of appeals were decidedly anti Chevron. And the judges expressing skepticism regarding Chevron divide equally among liberals and conservatives. So according to them, the difference isn't liberal versus conservative, it is d C Circuit versus everybody else. So I'm just curious like reactions to this, as we have d C Circuit and everybody else.
Speaker 3: So what do we think here? Why don't we start with the DC Circuit.
Speaker 6: You know, everybody always gigs up on the d C Circuit. You know it's slowely, but you know, I'll give you an anecdote. So after Locerbride, there were a number of a number of cases that where the Supreme Court granted cert vacated the decision and remanded for reconsideration, because you know, the panel had relied on Chevron. And I was talking to some of my colleagues and they were complaining that they had so many gvrs after Low for Bright because they rely on Chevron a great deal. And I was like, oh, I have zero gvrs from lower right, which I thought was just kind of funny, and they were they were not amused by that. I thought, I thought it was I thought it was funny. So I do think on the d C circuit, many of my colleagues were faithful adherence to the Chevron framework and frequently applied it in constitutional law cases and not just in statutory cases, not just deciding it's step one, but you know, leaving interpretive authority to the agency, you know, after finding ambiguity. And and I'll be honest, I think we are also seeing in some cases some quite a bit of Low for Bright avoidance, because there are areas in which there's so many areas, at least in our d C circuit case law, where there's deference given to agencies on safe contract interpretation or super duper difference for science, or some other kind of difference. And I think many of my colleagues believe that all those forms of difference persist even after lower Bright, a proposition that I don't agree with.
Speaker 5: So because you didn't think it was there from the beginning, or right, I.
Speaker 6: Mean, you know, I mean, if Loper Bright says you need to say what the law is, I'm not sure how contract interpretation is a matter that we would defer to an agency on right, right, I mean that's a legal question, or or some of these science questions.
Speaker 5: In fact, lober Bright says the presence of an agency in the case doesn't change the statue interpretation.
Speaker 6: Exactly exactly, And I think I think some of my colleagues, may you know, may push against that, or or read some loopholes into Loperbright.
Speaker 5: Perhaps, So I don't just say, answer the question from the perspective of other circuits.
Speaker 3: I guess I don't disagree with the.
Speaker 5: General idea that it's not obvious that hivun difference has to have a particular political valance. So in my court, probably the most frequent challenges to agency action are immigration and social security cases, and in those, in that context, deferring to the agency means denying immigration really for denying those scurity benefits, which you know is a kind of right coded thing to do, I suppose, so you might think that maybe, you know, conservatives would like deference and liberals wouldn't if you're kind of result oriented about it. And of course the origin of Chevron defference, of course was, you know, just as Scalia very worried about judges not letting the Rege administration follow to deregulatory policies or their policies.
Speaker 3: So it's not obviously there is a political valance.
Speaker 5: I do think that in a kind of polarized time, it does sort of seem like it has mapped on to certain inclinations, and probably overall it does have a kind of pro regulatory box run difference would have a pro regulatory bias to it, because regardless of the administration, agencies are always making claims for their own authority. They tend to make So I'm kind of skeptical that it really doesn't have a valance and Rea, but I agree that it's not.
Speaker 3: It's not inherent that it would need to.
Speaker 4: Do you think the pos nerve luck then they did twenty eighteen, things have changed since then, or do they just not get it right?
Speaker 3: Or I mean it's a small sample size, so like, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean it could be totally right, but I don't know if it really is dispositive about it.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think, as you suggested, right, believing in Chevron means giving a lot of leeway to agencies, which is, and it depends on what the agencies are doing. If they're doing deregulation and you give them difference, then that's a deregulatory bias. But if you you know, if they're doing something that's pro regulatory, and you differ, then so I think it I don't think it's easy to say like one way or the other that it has a has a particular balance.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: So one thing that you talked about is like science, and in the local Bright Assent, Jess Kaigan of course went to that a lot, which is you get really complicated science questions. And I remember clerking on the DC Circuit back back when Judge Jamnash and I were clerks together, is you would get these furk cases that were so complicated just try.
Speaker 3: To figure it out.
Speaker 4: I remember one where Judge Intel had to like put the math equation into the opinion because it's so complicated to be able to actually do it. And like Judge Williams, he loved all of those, but for the rest of us, like it was, it was very, very hard to even figure out what is happening in the case, let alone the legal scheme of how all this is supposed to fit together.
Speaker 3: So what do you do with something like that?
Speaker 4: Whereas like this is very very complicated, Is there a soft deference to the agency for really complicated things or how do you do that?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: Okay, I mean, you know, so Firk isn't so complicated that judges can't figure out what's happening. Right, It's our job and we can figure out what's what's going on in the case. And so even if there's a lot of science, we don't differ on the law, we still have to figure out to have the authority to do what it did right, what was the legal basis for its action? I didn't follow the law? And sometimes even answering that question does require getting into some of the you know, what did they actually do? Because you have to understand what actually is going on with the pipeline or whatever it is.
Speaker 4: The energy is even harder than pipelines.
Speaker 6: Yeah, right, it's true. Yeah, No, it's complicated. I mean I've had my share for cases, but I don't think that's a reason for difference. And agency lawyers still come before the d C Circuit and sort of say, well, this is very complicated. Well, I think we can understand what's happening here. It's not complete rocket science and so so, No, I don't think. I think the question is still like do they have the statutory authority? And then if they do, whether they've acted in a manner that's reasonable. Then maybe you defer on the actual scientific judgments that are within their authority, But the question of their authority doesn't change just because the case is complated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even as you pose the question, they're two different questions.
Speaker 5: You said, well, they're putting forth all of the science and that seems complicated, let alone the statutory interpretation question. Yeah, but those are two different questions, right, So the idea that there's some science thing going on doesn't mean that the statutory interpretation question is something on which the agency has a kind of superior has a kind of sphere expertise. So those just kind of seem like two different questions. I kind of don't really understand this concern. Like, we have a system of generalist judges, and we do that for a good reason, which is, you know, we tend to think if you can't explain you know, how the laws your work to journalists judges, then maybe it's a problem. And so we don't have a system where we have very specialized, specialized courts for every topic, and so a lot of cases that come to us are pretty complicated. If there's some kind of like corporate contract involving trade secrets or whatever, it might be pretty complicated. It's not obvious to me that when we have to decide whether, you know, a search was reasonable, that the officers who have a kind of expertise about tracking down uh, you know, criminal networks, that that kind of expertise shouldn't require more difference than you know, what the Education Department knows about how universities operated. It's not totally obvious that there's a different kind of expertise player that it would require.
Speaker 3: A kind of difference.
Speaker 5: But you do take into account the facts that they find and maybe you know what they say about the facts.
Speaker 3: Given their expertise.
Speaker 5: I think one interesting thing about lower bright is it allows you to have a kind of wider view of expertise, Like you can take the agency's expertise for what it is, expertise about how the agency operates or a kind of scientific area, but that doesn't mean that it gets a kind of dispositive weight in how a statute should be interpreted. And it might be that there's amicist for other kinds of experts to say, well, actually, you know, the agencies kind of captured by one viewpoint, but like there's more expertise to take into account, right, and that allows us to understand expertise for what it is and not.
Speaker 3: Sort of confuse it with the kind of legal authority.
Speaker 6: And oftentimes the expertise is you know, has a heavy layer of political interpretation of expertise, right, and that is you know, that's not science.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, the original Chevron sort of says, well, agencies have expertise, agencies also have more political accountability whatever's going on. That's a reason not to interfere with them. But actually those two things are very different, right, So it might be that the expertise about how the industry works or how the particular question should be understood, you know, informs how you understand the statute in one way, if what you think is actually this is a kind of policy making, then maybe the authority, you know, the democratic accountability becomes just positive because they're the ones who just have a kind of policy making space in which.
Speaker 3: They could decide what the policy is.
Speaker 5: But so it allows for more precision in the way we apply the law, as opposed to just kind of throwing up our hands and saying we'll let the agency decide.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: So I got a note, folks, if you have questions.
Speaker 4: For the judges, which I hope that you will, you could either email it to cs CSAs at GMU ADU or on the back of your program there's the QR code. We'll get to those audience questions in a second, but I'm going to be one a little bit provocative on this one, which is when I would think about Chevron before. I always thought the presumption was the wrong way that they said that if it's ambiguous, the agency is going to win. But I always said, this goes back to Judge Sutton would say it too. Most of these statutes and rags are backed by criminal penalties. So why doesn't the rule of lenity say that the default is the other direction that if there's ambiguities in these things, it cuts in favor of the public and non favor of the agency. And maybe that's just a crazy idea, but I'm curious what your thoughts are on that.
Speaker 3: Must you go that one first? You just say, Aaron, you're crazy.
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't think it's true that a lot of things are backed by criminal penalties. Actually, so I think that's not true. There's probably very few regulations their violation is backed by criminal penalties.
Speaker 3: Okay, right, I think you're not correct.
Speaker 4: That really okay, But but but.
Speaker 3: Okay, maybe look, look you're you're the d C circumgene. You do this all day.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I mean not sure.
Speaker 3: I mean I did the thing.
Speaker 5: You know that lover Bride is right that there's often the best reading of the statute, So you know, and even when we talk about the rule of lenity, we usually apply it in the case of grievous ambiguity that's irreducible after we do all the tools of satutory interpretation.
Speaker 3: So I do kind of think.
Speaker 5: We shouldn't look for another out to just deffer in the opposite direction. I think, you know, you throw all the tools you have at the statute and come up with the meaning of it. I suppose in cases where there's an irreducible ambiguity that's unavoidable, maybe if there's a criminal penalty that will let it be would apply. But that's just one of our tools of satory interpretation. I wouldn't say that we should reintroduce shiver run difference in the opposite direction, because kind of the point is, you know, we have a duty to decide what Congress meant.
Speaker 6: Also, I think that your question and raises a real non delegation problem, right, So if Congress has provided for criminal penalties, they should say what the crime is. Right. If they provide for criminal penalties and the agency is just by regulation criminalizing a whole range of things, then that perhaps poses a non delegation problem. And I don't think the rule of lenity can fix the non delegation problem, right, Maybe like they just can't regulate a whole new category of things that are subject to criminal penalties. If that's sort of the suggestion of what these rigs are doing. So I think to me there would be I guess a bigger threshold problem with that sort of regulation.
Speaker 4: All right, So one of the other arguments that used to be made in favor of Chevron was that it would reduce forum shopping. If every judge is applying the same methodology, and with a particular to the extent that judges disagree on methodology with a thumb on the scale in favor of one side or the other, then the circuits are not going to disagree as much. So, Peter Strauss, the court only has capacity for one hundred and fifty cases a year, so you need something to deal with the large volume of cases. And now that we don't have Chevron, are we going to see forum shopping or is that something that a lot of professor would come up with.
Speaker 3: Is not the real world?
Speaker 6: Well, I can tell you being on the DC Circuit. When there is a Democrat administration, we're like out of business. You know, our caseload drops and everything goes to the Fifth Circuit. And when Donald Trump is in office, our case load goes way up. So maybe that's forum shopping. I don't know, but it's it's noticeable, okay. So, and I think that was happening before. And I'm not sure, you know, I haven't done any impirical work, but you know, I mean, Chevron wasn't exactly you know, it wasn't like every judge applying Chevron would reach the same outcome, just as every judge applying Loper Bright and looking for the best meaning is not going to reach the same outcome. So I'm not sure that it will make any difference in terms of predictability. To be honest, yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Have the same reaction, which is, even in a world with Chevron difference, if there was a Republican administration, you'd bring your.
Speaker 3: Case of the Ninth Circuit or maybe the DC Circuit.
Speaker 5: If it's a Democrat administration, you're going to go to the Fifth Circuit if you're telling me that after Low or Bright, even if you're challenging policy of a Republican administration, you're going to say to yourself, you know, the Fifth Circuit has a lot of really good case law on adhering strictly to the text.
Speaker 3: So I think my challenge is better in the Fifth Circuit. That's great.
Speaker 5: That sort of means like now people are making decisions about the right forum based on interpretive methodology, and that's better than just kind of ideological inclination. And so I think that that would be a welcome development if it happened, although I think I'm kind of skeptical that that's what we're going to see.
Speaker 4: I will say as Texas solicitor General, we were we had one hundred cases the State of Texas file against the Biden administration, which meant there's a lot of appeals at the end of that. And as soon as the election happened, it's like the Department of Justice just turned off. So we had all these cases that we were litigating, and suddenly as soon as the election happened, Like I Mike, I hope they're still prosecuting people because all of the agency defense just stopped and it just froze, which in a way that markedly changed life of me and my team because it just stopped, which I thought wasn't interesting.
Speaker 6: Did you ever bring any cases in the d C circuit where a case could have been brought either you know, in the district court in Texas or in d d C.
Speaker 3: That's privileged.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean whether you brought the that's a matter of public record.
Speaker 4: Whether we brought the case. Yeah, there's there's a lot of times there are cases, but usually these cases are my statute. There's the d c circuits certain types of cases. So I don't ask to the question when if you have to make a choice or not, I will let the I will leave that for others to answer that question.
Speaker 6: It's a matter of public record.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, all right, okay, see I'm not supposed to be part of this conversation. All right, okay, So do you expect and I think I know the answer is going to be a bob the curious. Do you expect agency rulemaking to slow down in light of reduce judicial difference? In other words, or agencies more aggressive and do more things because of Chevron and now they'll stop doing that after a lower Bright Or will they just keep generating about the same amount of work but just do it differently.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't think that a lot of it would change.
Speaker 5: I mean, I kind of get what you're saying, which is maybe if there is a Chevron difference, agencies are going to think that their rules are more vulnerable to challenge and do it less. But you know, sluper Bright is not an isolated case. I mean the sort of the larger vibes of it and surrounding it are less difference to agencies, less exploitation of loopholes, and so if an agency thinks, oh, after Loper Bright, I won't do a rulemaking I'll just issue a guidance document. There are all other cases and doctrines that are designed to not allow them to do that.
Speaker 3: So I would think in.
Speaker 5: An environment in which the court is more willing to scrutinize agency reasoning and less inclined simply to defer to them, the agency would actually prefer to have their interpretation laid out in detail in a kind of legally binding way. So I would think in that environment you might seem more rulemaking. If it makes a difference at all, I'm not sure.
Speaker 6: I mean I do think that agencies will have to be more careful. And when I ran a WIRA, agencies would often say I'd say, well, what's your authority for this? And I'd say, well, we've been doing this for decades and say, well, then surely you have some statutory authority. And then like several weeks would go by and they'd say, look, get provision one oh one. The secretary can make rules, so that's not authority to do whatever you're doing. So I think they're going to have to be a little more particular and where's the authority and then set it out in the rules, and whether that will change the volume of rule making, I think it's hard to say.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I was a lawyer one of those agencies that sent rules to Naomi, so I sort of know of that process.
Speaker 6: We weren't notting anyone do any role, So that was the main thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's true.
Speaker 5: You have to sort of be more rigorous about it, but the guidance documents that you send that are less rigorous about it. And so it sort of seems to me that an environment in which you have to show your work a lot more and be more persuasive, it would tend to you tend to incline toward.
Speaker 3: More formal or formal procedures where you could lay it out. So I have not run a study on this.
Speaker 4: This is just anecdotal, but we had a lot of cases, so it's not based on nothing either. What happened after lopel Bright was government agencies government lawyers started saying that everything was an express delegation of authority. So before Chevron it was an implicit delegation of authority. And lober Wright says, no, we're not doing that. Anymore, but there could still be express delegations of authority, and then suddenly everything became an express delegation of authority. At least that's the cases that I saw. Have you seen something similar to that or do you think that was just maybe a blurb or maybe a Fifth Circuit's.
Speaker 3: Kind of specific thing.
Speaker 6: Well, I do see a number of parties trying to get within what they consider kind of the local right exceptions right, which is like, oh, this is expertise or this is an express delegation. So I do see those kinds of arguments being made in the briefs after lober Bright, And I mean, I guess that makes sense. But I think it's important to remember too that in Low for Bright, the Chief Justice repeatedly says, you know that the delegations have to be within constitutional limits, which to me very much foreshadows, you know, interest in the non delegation doctrine, which, of course, maybe to me everything looks like it's part of the non delegation doctrine because it's something I believe in. But he says that multiple times in the opinion that the delegations have to be within constitutional limits. So if an agency is saying we have, you know, explicitly delegated some completely open ended authority. Well, maybe that's going to run into a non delegation challenge down the road. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I get enough of these cases to say that I've noticed a pattern from the briefs or whatever, but it does kind of seem to me that you can make that argument, but it's oftentimes not going to be persuasive. Like there are cases where Congress uses open textured language like reasonable, as I was saying before, in which case they just have a zone in which the agency gets the little bit the statute. There are cases where, you know, the statute might say here's a term that we want the agency to elaborate, like what's an unfair labor practice or something, and that really is a delegation. It's possible that some of those could be implicit, but you really have to make the case that that's really what Congress wanted, because we're not going to presume that it is. And so I expect that will be worked out.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I guess there might be circuits or particular panels that are more willing to just reintroduce shiverrun difference by saying I.
Speaker 3: Just think that there's a bunch ability to authority here.
Speaker 5: But I kind of expect the Supreme Court would take a couple of those egregious cases and sort of say, no, we really mean that you have to look for the delegation before you, before you just to fall to the agency position.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: So we have some questions from the audience which I would like to get to. So the first is for Judge Row. As courts fill out the Loper Bright doctrine, would it be helpful for courts if linagaanst did more work to help concorts understand technical and scientific terms and statutes as experts understand those terms. In other words, as the I guess I'm putting my splent on this. Has the briefing changed or should it change in the post Looper Bright world where some of that technical information is better conveyed to the court.
Speaker 6: I don't think it's any different than it was before. But I can say we certainly appreciate when briefs include that kind of technical information. I oftentimes people who appear before us are experts in their fields, and they don't realize that we are generalist judges. And even if We've had fifty Furt cases. This furcase might be something new, and I think briefs that really explain the underlying you know, science or technology or how something works is extremely helpful because I often have to spend a lot of time in chambers figuring out how something works. So I can understand how the law layers on to how the thing works. And so if the you know, really good briefing will make that job a lot easier for the judges. So I think pre or post slower Bride, I think.
Speaker 4: That's true, all right, So this is for both the both of you, in Low or Bright. The court said that previously said that previously upheld interpretations based on Chevron should not be subject to challenge simply because Chevron is now overruled. What do you think that assurance will mean in practice going forward?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean this real Quart says that if we have upheld an agency action as lawful under Chevron, like that precedent survives, and I think that's true, then the status quo would be that that agency action is lawful. But there are lots of.
Speaker 5: Cases where we've previously reached some kind of result and then somebody later comes up with a new kind of argument that hasn't been considered before, and maybe is a way to challenge that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: And I don't know, I guess I sort of see this that way.
Speaker 5: So like the status quo is that those are precedents out of which the parties can rely. But eventually you might get a case that says, well, look, you upheld that under difference under Chevron difference, but really there's a better reading of the statue that comes up in a kind of later case, and so you might revise it.
Speaker 3: And that's not abnormal.
Speaker 5: You know, in cases where there's sort of developments at the screen court or factual developments or other arguments that and then raised before. It just doesn't seem like it's a it's an unmanageable problem to me.
Speaker 6: I understand the Supreme Court to be saying, you know, you're not going to go back and overturn specific precedents about specific rules. But for instance, if there was a Rule A that was upheld under Chevron, and then Rule B comes along in a similar area, but it's a new rule and someone raises a challenge to the agency's legal authority, I don't think that would be I don't think we could, you know, I don't think it's sort of like if you know something was upheld under Chevron, now we will never look at the statutory basis for a similar rule. I think the new rules are all fair game under lower Bright.
Speaker 5: Well that's got to be true, right, because even under Chevron that would happen. The agency changed its position, right, and then somebody would challenge it, and you decide whether that met the Chevron test, And so they just consider that under the regular But if the.
Speaker 6: Rule was similar enough under Chevron, you know, there'd be a maybe it would be a holding that there was an ambiguity that you know, the agency could fill in.
Speaker 4: Okay, Since Loper Bright said courts should use their best judgment in interpreting statutes, why should course continue to apply the major questions doctrine? Then that spicy?
Speaker 3: All right? So actually I find this.
Speaker 5: Kind of interesting the Major Questions doctrine and Loper Bright, because before lower Bright, the main function of the Major Questions doctrine was to get out of Chevron deference. Right, A lot of the the idea that like this is a major question, you know, the conclusion is, and so therefore Congress would have wanted to provide the answer and not delegated it to the agency.
Speaker 3: That was kind of the idea.
Speaker 5: And so in a lot of the cases, the main purpose of it, or the main function of it was to say, we're not going to defer to the agency, like you know, like Chief Justice Roberts says in the Obamacare that King versus Burwell, Like, wouldn't it be crazy to think that the Congress would have wanted the irs to decide how the Healthcare for FORMA should work. No, they wouldn't have wanted that, right, And that was kind of the function. So now after lower Bright, everything is a major question in that sense, right, we don't just let the agency decide, And so that sort of brings to the for other possible bases or functions of the major Questions doctrine. So, like there's this dispute as to whether it is the linguistic canon that just sort of stands for the principle that Congress doesn't hide elephants in mouseholes, and then if you have general language, there isn't going to be a big power hidden in there. And then the I guess that's the Barren view. And then there's the Gorst view, which is that it is sort of substantive way of enforcing non delegation principles by requiring Congress to use a clear statement when you know, when delegating a major authority. I don't know if the difference between them in terms of what it does makes much of a difference if the payoff is whether it's linguistic or substantive. Congress just has to be express when it wants to authorize a major power. But since now the sort of what I regard as the previously primary function of the Major Questions doctum, which is to get out of chevrun difference, is no longer relevant, I guess we might see some development of you know, right, you can imagine the major Questions doctrine not playing a big role if you think that all it was was to get to the best reading of the text. But you can think of it as playing a more major role if you have decided that actually it's a way of enforcing the non delegation doctrine, which is the next step after getting rid they've shared on it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm not sure I necessarily see a you know, conflict between low for Bride and the Major Questions doctrine anymore. Than with other, you know, linguistic or possibly substantive canons, depending on how you think about it. I mean, if we're trying to find the best meaning of the role, major questions doctrine can still provide the type of context and background norms you know that other linguistic canons do. And and if it's enforcing a kind of a substantive norm of non delegation or ensuring that we're not reading delegations in a way that raise constitutional problems, then I think that also goes perhaps to the best meaning of the statutes. So I'm not sure that it really, you know, necessarily will make a big difference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one of the well, as we were saying before, you know, you exhaust all.
Speaker 5: The tools of satutary interpretation, like the linguistic and substance canons are part of those tools. And so if the major questions doctrine is well founded, then it is just part of what the law means.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: It's some intentionalists are worried about substantive canons.
Speaker 5: I think Naomi and I both expressed of you that actually background legal principles are pretty relevant and and maybe we don't see that we're not that type of person who thinks that it's a problem. But if it's a linguistic canon, then obviously that's just a stands for the principle that that's how you should understand the statute. Like if you have if Congress says the agency is empowered to do A, B and C, and then there's like a catch all thing that says or anything else to accomplish some result. If the agency reads into the catch all some authority that's broader than the enubrated ones, you'd expect it to be enuberated. You might just say, and I think that this is right, that the best reading of the text is that that catchual can't authorize something that's you would have expected to be enumerted. And so then it's just about getting at the right meaning of the statute. And then the major questions doctor under that view is just stands for the principle that's the way you should read texts.
Speaker 6: I mean, oftentimes canons, whether they're linguistic or substantive, are ways for judges to explain, right. They're just ways to explain how a judge is getting at the best meaning of a text. And I think if you think about it, that way, then you know, nothing is really off the table.
Speaker 3: We get to use it.
Speaker 5: We get to say express you unius as a way to explain how we're reading a text.
Speaker 3: But we could just explain what that means, right, And.
Speaker 6: So you like, how do we you know, what does an ordinary reader of English or a legal reader of English think about these terms and how they fit together? You know, we have a shorthands and I don't think that changes after a little propriate all.
Speaker 4: Right, So Jed Dray you have you say you can't recall ever citing Chevron, and maybe I have.
Speaker 6: I can't recall someone's probably like just doing a.
Speaker 4: West Saucer or something. But the question they want to know is have either of you ever cited local Bright in an opinion?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Sure I have, Yeah, Okay, yeah, for for what purpose?
Speaker 4: It's like like just a general statement that we just decided what the law is, or is there any is there any particular part of lope for Bright that you find yourself most likely to side because it comes up in the work that you do.
Speaker 5: I guess also, So I mean I said earlier that a lot that most of the challenges to agency action that come up in my court are immigration and so security cases. So I did have a case this past term that presented the question of whether some old precedent that was adopted before the real id Act survived the real id.
Speaker 3: Act, and we said that it did not.
Speaker 5: And then there was sort of a hierarchy of why, like it conflicts with the text of the real Ideact, other circuits have adopted the same conclusion.
Speaker 3: And then I.
Speaker 5: Also said, the BIA has the BIA, which is the Board of Immigration Appeals, which is the agency, has also adopted that same illusion. Now, maybe in an era of Chevron difference, that might have been higher up in the hierarchy, and I would have said we were bound to defer to their view of it. But I guess it came third. I don't remember the list of reasons, but I said, well, that's important because you know, an agency that has expertise in administering a statute, you know, we should pay attention to what they say. And so I guess I cited lower Bride for that proposition. But of course it came after, you know, talking about the text of the statute and so on. But you know that is some support, you know, for how you should understand a statute, if an agency that is familiar with administering it and adjudicating it thinks that it had it requires a particular result, all right.
Speaker 4: So we talked a little bit about some of the lower Bright carve outes where deference might still be allowed even though Chevron's presumption has gone. So here's a question, what are the indicators you look for as a judge in determining whether Congress has left such.
Speaker 3: A gap for an agency to fill?
Speaker 4: Like, how do you know if it's say an express delegational what do they mean to be expressed? Or how do you know this is one of those things where Congress says even after Loper, even after Loper write, we still want you to defer.
Speaker 3: How would you tell I guess I have.
Speaker 6: Neither before Loper Bright nor now do I think about this as a matter of deference? Like to me, there's a question like is the agency operating within its statutory authority? And then if it is, then you know there might be other arguments that it was unreasonable or arbitrary and capricious, but those are kind of separate. So the is it inside the box the statutes box? And then you know within that space, like if there's certain you know, judgment calls that have been left to the agency, then that's that's fine because it's within their statutory authority. And so I don't know that that is necessarily deference. It's just sort of thinking about what is the agency allowed to do under law, and then I guess have they done that in a reasonable way? And that maybe that reasonability determination is one on which we you know, they have some leeway, but not complete leeway, you know, even unreasonable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's right.
Speaker 5: So, so, like I said earlier, if Congress provides some kind of open textured language that says, do what's reasonable, like they say, put the transmitters or reasonable distance between each other, and they put them fifteen feet apart and not twenty feet apart, and somebody challenges the determination. I don't think a court should write an opinion that says the best meaning of the word reasonable is fifteen.
Speaker 3: Rather than twenty feet.
Speaker 5: Right. The answer is, actually, the statute does not require them to do it twenty feet raven than fifteen feet. They took some action which is within the bounds of the statute, and so the challenger fails to say a claim. Right. So some people talk about the worry about ossification after lowber Bright, because you need to reach statutory holdings or interpretation holdings. But actually, if you understand that a lot of these questions are not really saturtary interpretation.
Speaker 3: Questions, then there's less ossification. I think.
Speaker 5: The other kind of case is the one where there's some kind of term that Congress says they want the agency to elaborate, like unfair labor practice or method of competition or something which maybe they're expressly authorized to play out through regulation or through a.
Speaker 3: Kind of adjudication.
Speaker 5: In most cases, Congress just says that expressly and again that's the agency's job is to have those kinds of adjudications, and we police the bounds of it, but don't say what.
Speaker 6: That those things might be on constitutional valegations.
Speaker 5: Well, that's a separate question. So I guess I'm confining myself to the lower Bright question. But yeah, it might be that there's some other reason why that's why that's impermissible. But in terms of the statue of interpretation question, when it's expressed, it's not hard to identify.
Speaker 3: It seems to me it's not very often going to be implicit.
Speaker 5: But you know, sometimes we do look at things that are implicit based on the structure of the statute overall. And so that's also not really a new challenge.
Speaker 4: All right, So before there was Chevron, there was skid more. Do we see Lope or bright as a return to a resurgence of pre Chevron standards like skid Moore or is just an entirely new way of evaluating agency action? This is a very DC ADMIN law. I was going to say, to explain to.
Speaker 6: The audience what skin Moore differences or No, not this audience.
Speaker 3: We're run out of time. Let's just keep going.
Speaker 4: So hope everyone here knows what skidmore is, and if not, then this question is for the one person who does.
Speaker 5: So. I guess I just I mean a Skidmore difference just says that you should adopt the agency's position to the.
Speaker 3: Extent that you find it persuasive and like fine, like you know.
Speaker 6: Okay, skinboard just doesn't do a lot of work.
Speaker 5: Yes, I don't think, I mean to the extent that it. It just tells you don't like, just completely dismiss and ignore what the agency says about its authority or about the underlying facts.
Speaker 3: I think that that's.
Speaker 5: A good instinct to have, like you should consider them serious arguments from the agency. And so to the extent that Skinboard stands for that proposition, that's fine, but it doesn't give it authoritative weight. As I said, I think one of the benefits of loop or bright is to say, the agency's expertise doesn't necessarily translate into automatic legal authority, and so you could draw on expertise from other sources. Right, there might be a debate within a particular industry about how to view a kind of technical question, and so you don't necessarily have to adopt the agency's view if you don't find it persuasive, And so I think that that is that is good. I mean, I guess in terms of your general question about skin Moore making a comeback, it is possible that you know of Court of Appeals that really liked Share Run Difference and wants it back. Could just do Shevrun Difference under the name skin Moore. Like that's not impossible, but it seems to me that that you can tail when it does that, and it does seem like it would be wrong and so eventually it would be rebuked.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think skidmore just recognizes what federal courts have always done, which is treat the political branches respectfully. Right, you know, you are respectful of Congress's judgments and the Executive's judgments. But I think Lope or Bright rightly says what has also been the case since our founding, which is that judges have an independent duty to say what the law is. So that doesn't preclude respectfully thinking about how the political branches understand their authorities. But it is. It's it's a far cry from being respectful to to you know, just deferring to their view of their authority.
Speaker 4: All right, this is not going to be a fair question for Judge Row because you were not here earlier. But here's the question. And an earlier panel argued that deregulator and should be panelists probably argue that deregulation activities should not be subject to the same procedures and justification as new regulations.
Speaker 3: Do you agree.
Speaker 4: You mean political like Owira, No, I think, well, I don't know what the question is, I said, But earlier James Burnham essentially said that the state Farm rule does not make any sense. Like heard, look is one thing, but hard look when you're trying to deregulate. It should not be the same as when you're trying to regulate, because you're taking away the burden rather than putting it on. That's, of course not like the law under state farm. So what do you think about that? You were here, Steve so you can ask answer the question.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I mean you can just explained the idea. So I don't know if I need to be here. I mean, I just explain their AWESO. Now you can answer the au There are I mean, there are agency regulations where it's not totally obvious that one that having it imposes a burden and getting rid of it relieves a burden.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess if you had that kind of case, it should be.
Speaker 5: Pretty easy to do a repeal because you can just explain, we don't think that this is justified anymore.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: I think James was sort of saying that in a bunch of circumstances, the agent under the APA, the agency would have good cause for removing the regulation. You know, I guess I'm going to preserve judgment on that to the extent that that might be a sort of question that might be litigated. But I do kind of think in the case you described, where the agency is believing the burden because it doesn't think imposing the burden is justified by its regulatory objectives any longer. It should be pretty easy to write a proposed rule that just says that, and then that would be an adequate explanation.
Speaker 6: I guess I would say that seems like a nice rule for private ordering. It obviously isn't the state of the law. But I mean, it's just very much not the state of the law. I mean, to undo a big rule, you have to do another big rule explaining why you're undoing the other big rule. And maybe we should have a different procedure, but but we don't.
Speaker 4: So when you are running AIRA, did you ever like just like a state farm, what was that privilege?
Speaker 6: There are lots of things that I shook my fids down, and I was when I was head of AHIRA. But it does seem you know, I mean, I remember talking to the President about this. It's like, well, to undo this rule, we have to do another rule. And sometimes that doesn't seem like it makes a lot of sense. But then courts would strike down, you know, kind of cursory rules that said we just don't think this old rule makes sense.
Speaker 4: So all right, so we're coming towards the end, so we probably have time for maybe one more big question, which so I'm going to not make it through all of these, But here's the question I'm just curious.
Speaker 3: I think will be a kind of a good way to wrap it up.
Speaker 4: Ten years from now, is Low or Bright going to be seen as a landmark decision that people are still talking about and it's like one of the things you could have a whole ballroom full of people thinking about. Or is it just going to be just one of those things we've just moved on? So what I think is what we right going to be a true hallmark landmark decision.
Speaker 3: Who wants to take it first? No, I don't think so.
Speaker 5: I mean I think, you know, when you think about the our experience with Chevron difference, it's sort of a blip, right, It like comes about in the eighties, it takes some years to take hold, and then toward the end of its life it's being subject to all sorts of qualifications about when you could apply it and circumstances and so on, and then the Screme Court starts citing it for a number of years before it.
Speaker 3: Formally overrules it.
Speaker 5: And so it sort of seems to me like that kind of the period in which courts are doing Chevron difference will be seen as a kind of a curiosity, not that Low or Bright itself is a kind of landmark decision because it got rid of something that you know, was not around for very long.
Speaker 4: I mean, Chevron was the most cited or so it's why, you know, all due respect to all the law professors who spent their whole careers expounding upon the scope of.
Speaker 6: But I I never wrote about Chevron.
Speaker 5: No, I just kind of don't think that that there's gonna be a lot you know, that we're going to be justified and obsessing over it because you know, the case law is not going to be durable. It's going to kind of move on from the Chevron cases. And uh, you know, Loper Bright kind of you know, doesn't do a radically new thing. It kind of restores the status bo anti And so I'm not sure we're really talking about all the implications of lower right so much. It's just sort of saying, here's how we do sted store interpretation, all right, and Jed dred last.
Speaker 3: Right is yours.
Speaker 6: Okay, Well, I again agree with what Steve said, Local right very much is a return to the normal way of doing things. But I I'd also just highlight something that we didn't really talk about much, which is that all these discussions about Chevron and Loper Bright are all about Article two and Article three. Right, how do the executive, how does the executive and the courts, how do they interact in this agency space? And maybe what we will be talking about in ten years is Article one and Congress's power right to legislate more specifically or to you know, kind of give more clear direction to agency, or maybe there'll be a revival of the non delegation principle. And I do think this whole debate just shows how much we've shifted away from Article one into Article two and three.
Speaker 1: So okay, all right, thank you so much, and to the audience. You can still send us emails with questions or comments about the show at CSAs, at GMU dot ADU. We read all of them and work to make this the best show it can be. If you like what you heard today, please consider sharing the episode with a friend and leaving us a five star review wherever you're listening so we can keep bringing you more conversations like this one, and if you'd like to stay on top of our latest research, papers and events, sign up for our email list by clicking the link in our show notes. Thanks