Speaker 1: Well, hello everyone, thanks for being with us.
Speaker 2: It's the JB and Sandy Show, Austin's daty station one O three point one. Take care of some business here. First, I'm gonna let you know that we got a chance for you to win a thousand bucks coming up at nine o'clock. We do it every single hour right up until five o'clock, so lots of chances to win cash today. Be listening, get the keyword, enter it into our website at one O three to one Austin dot com and on the iHeartRadio app you can enter it there. And if you're listening on the iHeartRadio app, make sure that you like and follow the radio station where you get updates of what's happening here. You'll know that you know we're giving away the money in just a minute or something that we're talking about on the show. All that kind of stuff, and update the iHeartRadio app. Okay, all the business part of the show is done. Let's have some fun. JB got to give you some love.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: You turned us on to something that turned us on to something else. At the Costco. JB's a new costco guy by the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, never been to a costco until last month, six weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Maybe, And how many times have you been in the last six weeks? Four or five times?
Speaker 4: By the way, we're at the age where you have to call it the cost code just right like Facebook, Yeah, the out back.
Speaker 2: So, uh, you turned us on to the burnt ends, the brisket burnt ends. Well, Tricia went to Costco last week, didn't have them, and she took a shot on the full on sliced brisket from Costco and at the risk of losing my Texan card in saying that store bought brisket is good.
Speaker 1: It's good, it's pretty, it's it's you can still put your local sauce on it.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: It's it's good.
Speaker 2: And that it's like if you're gonna do a brisket at your on your own at home, that's an all day affair, you know. And then if you go to get brisket somewhere, it's pretty darn expensive. And this is really really good in a pin, you know, would I take a you know, a real barbecue places brisket over it, sure, but for pre cooked just throw it the microwave for five minutes.
Speaker 1: Brisket.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: We just on a whim a few days ago picked up some Terry Blacks and I was like, dang, this brisket's good. But it's like it's it's a nice, easy, convenient fix. You've got it, like you have some of the freezer or whatever, and you know, yeah, it's decent enough. And then I put I put Franklin's Barbecue on mine. My wife likes the Salt Lake original.
Speaker 1: Oh I love it, love it.
Speaker 4: But also in this day and age where everybody's all eat more protein, eat more protein, it's easy. You have it right there, you eat it up, you have a protein snack, you're good to go.
Speaker 2: So anybody that's listening, if you're gonna brave a Costco anytime soon. And you folks in Liberty Hill, you'll get your soon, you'll get your Costco. Uh, grab it. It's good. I don't I have no idea how much that cost. And I bet Tricia doesn't know either.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I just put it in the basket. I have no idea.
Speaker 1: Do they do ribs too, or did I?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, we got those two.
Speaker 1: They are important pork ribs. I hope. Okay, I got to try those too.
Speaker 2: You got to get those back in the cooked food section, the deli pipes, ready made meals. They're in the back, and they're good. They're really good. Throw some of your Franklin's barbecue sauce on there. You're in business man, one.
Speaker 1: Thing that you know.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm I'm big on Aaron got something else there. They were stuffed Bill Pepper's. Oh love it awesome. Those were really good. But and I looked up I said, how good equality is the beef at Costco. I was wondering, like, there's gotta be a catch And I actually read that it's considered very high quality.
Speaker 2: And the meat like the steaks and stuff you're talking about. Yeah, it's great meat.
Speaker 3: But I noticed walking through there most of the fish was farm raised.
Speaker 1: You don't want that. That was a bummer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, is that bad. I don't know why that's bad.
Speaker 1: It is. It's do some research. It's gross.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Okay, it's.
Speaker 3: Not even it's not even like a sarmery salmon is not even the same color they color it after the fact.
Speaker 4: Oh really, My problem is that there's still got their faces on them at Costco.
Speaker 5: The what the colorm I supposed to do with that. Hey, I got it. I don't want to do all that work.
Speaker 1: And you should go to Fiesta sometime.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know I've been. It's too much. I can't handle that, all right?
Speaker 2: Coming up on the show today, a couple of things much later in the show. Apparently the vibe that I'm doing something wrong with Tricia when I'm trying to send off the vibe for extra friendly relations. I have no idea what it is. Tricia's gonna tell us all I'm gonna find out the same time. You guys are also Rodeo Austin has announced its lineup and there is a huge star that's going to be there, and Tricia's got the story we love.
Speaker 1: Coming up next, what do you have for us?
Speaker 4: All right, we're going to talk about Hoda Copy's replacement, new partner for Jenna Bush and the ninth hour of the Today Show.
Speaker 1: The ninth hour, it's that long now.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, The fourth hour, third hour, one of their later hours of the Today's Show. It's Jenna and Friends and the name is going to surprise you and the paycheck is going to surprise you.
Speaker 1: Boy.
Speaker 2: That's how all the big time news anchors do a tease like that the twelve hour nine one of those hours.
Speaker 1: That's how they do it.
Speaker 4: People know what I'm talking about. I'm assuming that some people have an idea. I don't have time for all the specific Sandy.
Speaker 2: Apparently I'm missing the mark. When I'm sitting off the vibe for sexy time, I have no right. You guys are going to find out is same time I'm going to find out here because Trisia's gonna tell us in just a second. It's the JB and Sandy Show. We'll do this again tomorrow from seven until eight o'clock, So be here for it and stick around for your chance to win a thousand bucks coming up at nine.
Speaker 1: All right, t let's have it.
Speaker 4: Here's here's how I know when Sandy's throwing it out there with the little maybe you want a little right without just coming in and saying do you want to?
Speaker 5: Here's what he does.
Speaker 4: You take a random shower, a shower at a random time in the day, in the middle of the day. I hear the shower when he normally is not showering. Then I always hear your little for shaving your head. You're basically making yourself as shiny as a new penny. That's what you're doing in there. And I'll be You're welcome, no, no, no, appreciate you totally appreciate it. And I'll be like, all right, maybe yeah, thinking about it, hear it, I know what's going on.
Speaker 5: I'm like, do I want it? Yeah?
Speaker 4: And then and this is new, this is new. Then what completely shuts down the launch sequence for me, Sandy, is whatever your new cologne is, because it smells exactly like my grandfather's aftershaft. It's exactly what my grandfather wore, so.
Speaker 5: Shower, all right, little this is with the hair.
Speaker 4: I'm like, okay, thinking about it, and then all of a sudden, I get a whiff of whatever it was my grandfather wore, and I.
Speaker 2: Was like, and I'm out, I think you may be mistaken cologne with soap.
Speaker 5: I don't know my grandfather.
Speaker 2: The colone that I do have you have told me a thousand times you absolutely love, and that's the colone that I use now, so it's got to be. But I recently changed over. Got that Duke Cannon soap that I love.
Speaker 5: You mean, my grandfather paps soap, That's what it is.
Speaker 4: It was the stuff that used to come in the white bottle and had the sailor on it, old old spice the odorant.
Speaker 5: Oh, you got to get newdy odorant. It's it's not helping your cause.
Speaker 1: Friends, that's old school. That's whole old invented with terry crews and everything. The act.
Speaker 5: It's new right.
Speaker 4: You just recently started using the old spice, right, I've been using it for I switch off because, as we all know, at some point, your your deodorant, your go to that you've trusted forever, eventually says I'm done today.
Speaker 5: I don't work for you anymore, and you got to switch up.
Speaker 1: You know what, though, it could be the deodor I've got four different heroes.
Speaker 2: It could be the one you turned me on to JB that I got with with no aluminum in it.
Speaker 1: I think that's what it is.
Speaker 3: Oh, if it's the one I use, it doesn't have a strong smell.
Speaker 2: What was the name of it, that Baxter Yep, that's the one I ordered, Baxter Blue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't have a strong smell, but it's got a smell, but not a strong one. I don't know.
Speaker 5: Saying you're not helping yourself out.
Speaker 2: Especially I want you to go into my bathroom. Yeah, they smell, smell everything, and throw the one away. It smells like your grandfather. H throw it away.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 4: It makes my brain go because you know, you got me going look with the other things, and then all of a sudden that and we all come to screeching.
Speaker 2: If throwing away whatever product it is eliminates one possibility of disappointment, then I'm.
Speaker 5: That's a brain activation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, burn it, I don't care. Just get rid of it.
Speaker 2: I don't care if I've got fifty of them and throw them all out, all right.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, let's do that. Let's do that, because really it feels weird. It feels weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really funny how things change once you've been married for a while when it falls into this category, right JB.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just so well you know, well, now you know, like, how long could you have let us go on?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You don't work as hard as you used to once you're.
Speaker 4: Wow, right when the vibe is simply taking a shower.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we've fallen pretty far, don't you think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like, okay, sometimes you want to be a little romantic and roll out the red carpet a little bit, but come on, sometimes you just need.
Speaker 5: To Yeah, got a minute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's like keep been married for a while. It's either do you or don't you? Yes or no, and then let me know and then you just move on with your day.
Speaker 4: Right, And it's yeah, because sometimes Sander be like, do you want to I'll go now, and I'll go okay, just even it was like a half a second interaction.
Speaker 5: Nobody's mad and.
Speaker 1: Just yeah, just think that means I don't have to shower. Thanks for being with us friends.
Speaker 2: If you missed out on any of the show, you can listen to the podcast. Just search on the iHeartRadio app you will find it, or go to the website one O three to one Austin dot com, which is pretty easy. Some of the stuff that you missed include the Costco brisket good, We've decided very very very good. Uh Rodeo Austin is coming to town and tickets go on sell Friday for that and what did you do in the story We love Trush Well, well go.
Speaker 4: Scarlett Johansson might be the new replacement for ho Tokot beyond The Today Show's fourth Hour, which I'm all for it.
Speaker 5: She's great.
Speaker 2: What didn't you hate to have been the other people that auditioned, because that's clearly they were doing auditions for it, right. They had a bunch of people, and then you find out Scarlett Johansson, You're like, oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they have no chance of getting this time.
Speaker 1: With Regis and Kelly. They milked this for a long radio people tried.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so they get all the free radio publicity. They had no intention of picking any of them.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yeah, did they pick one of them?
Speaker 5: No, they picked Ryan Ryan secret.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they knew they were going to pick him before the radio guy.
Speaker 3: But they weren't trying to just get the promotion with him like they did with everybody else.
Speaker 1: Right. Have you has anybody seen Ryan on Will of Fortune yet? I have not.
Speaker 5: I've seen him a little bit.
Speaker 4: There was an article I saw that apparently a big guy won a bunch of money and got so excited, jumped up and down and grabbed Ryan and knocked him over.
Speaker 1: Oh did he break?
Speaker 5: No, he did that break. He talked right back up.
Speaker 2: If he did break, they they would just go to the warehouse and get another Ryan Sea.
Speaker 1: Stick around more than one.
Speaker 2: We got more coming up on Austin's eighty station. What oh three point one?
Speaker 1: Jamie.
Speaker 2: If I hadn't known you for over thirty years and worked with you doing a morning radio show together for almost twenty years, I wouldn't do this. But I know you well enough that I know that you'll take it well. But there was a something that I did recently that spit out a pretty nice you know, made a nice picture of me and with you. It was just one sentence. Okay, okay, I'll just share it with you in just a second. But let me just recap for everybody, just so you know, if you're a brand new listener a lot of new Austin nights, Jamie and I worked together for eighteen years and did a fairly successful morning radio show on a different radio station, and then you know, we went our separate ways. We was always remained friends and now we're doing this one hour together here on this radio station on one O three point one, So we have a lot of history together. In case you didn't know that, Trisia just kind of glombed onto this because.
Speaker 4: I just kind of show up until y'all x me out when the local disc jockey is your meal ticket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something wrong.
Speaker 5: I made a wrong turn somewhere.
Speaker 2: But JB told me something recently that I didn't know this, And he told me that the year that right, the year that we stopped doing the radio show together, the most searched story on the Austin Business Journal was what happened to the JB and Sandy Morning Show?
Speaker 1: Okay, I didn't know that until you told me it.
Speaker 3: Was the number one most read article of was that twenty thirteen or fourteen?
Speaker 1: I think it was fourteen or fourteen?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then it was like it was bigger, more red story than Dell going private again they did that, and yeah, it was big.
Speaker 2: So I took that same question and I put it into an AI. It's the new I don't even knew it is. X has an AI thing. It's called grock g R. Okay, have I put I put that same question into it to see what answer came back, because I was kind of it's not a vanity thing. I was just going to see if they got it right, you know what I mean? Because I would one story and all the stories that I would know, I would know if they got it right, Okay, and so would you. But what it spit out surprised me a little bit. So here's what prompt it was, what happened to the JB and Sandy Morning Show? Oh okay, okay, that simple, and it's had a bunch of stuff, but I pulled out this one little piece and it says post show. Both JB and Sandy continued in their careers in various capacities. Sandy went on to host the syndicated The Sandy Show and is on in Austin on one oh three point one Austin's eighty station, where he discuss discusses local life and entertainment with his wife Tricia, indicating a shift to a new format while still engaging with the Austin community.
Speaker 1: JB.
Speaker 2: Hager, on the other hand, engaged in activities like being a boat driver for his daughter, which is true, being a boat bro.
Speaker 1: He went from the number one rated radio show in Austin, Texas for a decade.
Speaker 2: To being a boat driver for your daughter.
Speaker 3: That's funny. That would be That would be my dream job. If I could do that, and that's my lot of money.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: I would do that every day. That would be my dream job. That's funny. Obviously, that is not all that you've done.
Speaker 5: Anywhere.
Speaker 3: Fine, No, that's hilarious because actually the you know, the podcast I worked on for eight years had a much bigger audience than we ever had on the radio. I wasn't the star of it. I was part of it. But it doesn't matter. It's like, yeah, that's funny. That really is funny. We read that again.
Speaker 5: JB.
Speaker 2: Hager, on the other hand, engaged in activities like being a boat driver.
Speaker 6: For It's just written so strangelyties, I see, I knew you would take that well.
Speaker 1: A lot of people would who.
Speaker 4: This might be payback for when the Austin American Statesman didn't list you as doing Mother Ginger at all for Nutcracker. You're right, and you did it twice. JP only did it once and they only listed him. Maybe this is the karma balancing things out.
Speaker 3: Maybe, so it's funny. Yeah, I forgot I was at Statesman. I launched an Austin history podcast.
Speaker 1: Which is really good. He's still out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's three three years of it, so that's still I mean, those stories are always relevant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're not could change, right. What's your favorite one?
Speaker 2: What was your Do you have one that was your favorite of the Austin Found is the podcast by the way that jab did with Michael Barnes. Do you have a favorite one or most interesting one that you like or recommend?
Speaker 3: Man, I'm getting put on the spot here. I don't some of the really, I'll just clump them together. I think what's most fascinating. Most of the glory days of Austin are in the last thirty years, let's be honest. Yeah, and our our past is not so pretty, that's what. So there's a few episodes that come to mind, like how controversial it was to rename eighteenth Street MLK. Oh, Yeah, it was a big deal when they wanted to approve it, to make it Martin Luther King Boulevard. They the people west of thirty five only wanted it on the east side.
Speaker 1: It's how big fit.
Speaker 3: Oh, we've got to change our stationerywhere. And then there's some other interesting stuff with uh, like the Freeman Colonies. You know, this is where the slaves were living after they were freed, and there were areas in Bolden, there are areas west Campus and this is an uglier side of Austin. So a lot of the African Americans in Austin back then, they said when they started putting in roads and electricity and infrastructure, they wouldn't do it in these Freeman colonies. They'd say, oh, oh, how you want roads and electricity and warming, We'll do it for you in East Austin.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, swear.
Speaker 3: So there's some ugly truth there, and there's some ugly past with you know, conflict with comanchese and.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's that's way back. Yeah, that's Waterloo back what it was Waterloo? Right, I'm serious?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know there's some and so there's some there's some ugly history, but there's some great things. What I'd love about working with Michael Barnes is so he's a writer at The Statesman.
Speaker 1: He's been there forever and uh, just a brilliant guy.
Speaker 3: He gives a lot of Austinites a voice that never had it publicly.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: So where a lot of our history, like you look up a lot of names, Oh who was that? Who was that? Things named around town. There are a lot of city council people whatever. Michael is more about the the activists that didn't get all the accolades, didn't get the attention. Yeah there, you know, they give the statue to the white guy who was on city council instead of this African American woman who did amazing things, and he points those out in a bunch ofisodes. Anyhow, he gives a point is he gives a voice to those he never who didn't have as big of a megaphone as they should have.
Speaker 2: It's what I loved about doing that show. It's called Austin Found. It's still available. You can grab it wherever it is that you get your podcast.