Speaker 1: Weird, weird.
Speaker 2: Welcome back midnight viewers to Fallow Malone's weekly round up. I'm Father Alone, and the lady beside me, the one who arrived in the glowing six four Chevy Malibu, is miss ripley Gen. How are you baby? Oh good? Let's do business, yellowjackets. It can piss up a rope. Meanwhile, over on the Xbox, the fucking Xenomorph is relentless and I cannot sneak past him. If you haven't been checking out the main show, I urge you to do so. HP from night, mister Walters and I are currently engaged in Fusco Fest. I'd say look at the works of screenwriter John Fusco. So far, we've gotten to Crossroads and Young Guns, got those out for your listening pleasure. This Friday, we're doing Young Guns too, and it is a blast. I urge you all to tune in then or more business. If you want to hear it right now, head on over to patreon dot com slash Father Alone. Subscribers get everything early and commercial free, and you'll have my eternal gratitude sincerely. Anyone paying to hear my nonsense is Toppermost of the popermost and if you join the Patreon you never have to hear me use that phrase again. Here's a fun fact. Did you know that film production companies logos, you know, like the universal logo.
Speaker 1: Come up, bump bump.
Speaker 2: If the studio wants you to, you have to show that at the start of your film. But the filmmaker is under no obligation to use the production company's fanfare, which usually means you get a bit of wild sound from the feature, letting us know what the world sounds like before seeing it. Or more likely, they just start the music, whether it's a score or soundtrack. Technically you can just put ducks quacking or a clown car honking under the studio logos. I don't know why more filmmakers aren't doing it, considering every film now starts with three minutes of production logos. What's even better is then after the logos end, we get three minutes of credits with the same goddamn logos just in font form. You know what now that I'm starting to rant, what part of your movie is so inessential that you let the names of the filmmakers play over it? Seriously, if you haven't designed a credit sequence, and are just letting credits play over action. What are we supposed to surmize there? One or the other isn't worth your time? No such worry with our first pick. It's repo man meets auto.
Speaker 3: He's a green cup kid in a dirty business. He repossesses cars. He's a repol man.
Speaker 4: You're gonna give me my car back, or or I gotta go to your house and save your dog's head down the toilet.
Speaker 3: His mission is to repossess a sixty four Chevy, but hidden within its trunk, if.
Speaker 5: You're got on the trunk, you don't want to look in.
Speaker 3: There is the most important discovery in the history of our planets.
Speaker 2: Repol man. It's a mystery.
Speaker 6: Suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. Suddenly somebody will say, like plate or shrimp or plate of shrimp, out of the blue, no explanation.
Speaker 2: It's a comedy, it's a chase.
Speaker 3: It's the forces of.
Speaker 2: Law, Maine.
Speaker 3: I'm on my coffee break against the representatives of discontented youth, against the finest minds in government.
Speaker 1: I had a Levyan lobotomy, isn't that for?
Speaker 3: Mooney's not all and they're all in pursuit of a sixty four Chevy Malibu from who knows where.
Speaker 1: Black eyes velts can explode zep everybody, Denman.
Speaker 3: The story of the Ultimate Repossession Repoman not just a job, It's an adventure.
Speaker 2: The credits here are an early computerized map of the southwestern US and the highways that twist and when their ways west all the way to the bombed out Edge City, California. It's not Los Angeles, it's Edge City. Before we go further, I have to tip my hat to writers Dick Rude and Alex Cox for their description of the title sequence in the script. It reads THUSLYE reveal the dread words repo Man, that's intoxicating. The writers reveal the film's title to the reader, and reader only. That description isn't going on screen, but they want you to know that the title has horrible connotations. These are protagonists, not heroes. What protagonists? I'm glad you ask. I'm gonna play Auto's introductory scene, which not only features Xander Schlass as his pal Kevin, who is at least a good argument for parallel thinking when it comes to Napoleon Dynamite, not saying those guys ever saw one of the most popular cult films of all time before making their film. But I digress.
Speaker 3: America's Drink and seven and it show feels right.
Speaker 7: Luck seven Kevin stops singing.
Speaker 3: Huh's a singing guy.
Speaker 7: I'm standing right next to you, and you fucking sing and cut it out? Why so tense guy, Auto, Mister Humples, you were late again this morning. Now, normally i'd let it go, but it's been to my attention that you're not paying attention to the way you space the cans many young men of your age and these I'm sure any times, Auto, are you paying attention to me? Fuck you?
Speaker 2: On rewatch, I realized that Auto's lame o Boss. He's wearing the exact same eyeglasses that I'm wearing right now. That's fucking sobering and a little sad and a little square. There's no doubt. Emilio Estevez has always been my guy as far as up and comers, making his dent in movies. As I'm really starting to pay attention to movies, and not just movies but cinema and punk rock and cult flicks. This is nineteen eighty four, man, I'd be seeing it a year later when I was entering teenagerdom. But if it was punk and fun and dancing on the fringes of culture, I was on fucking board. And here's a movie that's all those things and a lead character that's just as fucked up in directionless as any of the lifers he ends up associating with. And at one point Emilio Estevez sits by himself and drinking a six pack and singing TV Party by black Flag. I love this fucking movie. Which lifers? I'm glad you asked about them. Harry Dean Stanton Is he the greatest character actor of all time? Yes, the end, and one of the reasons, A major fucking reason this movie works as well as it does, because if Harry Dean is taking this lunacy seriously, you all better start doing the same. And not only is but a true goddamned American with a genuine code he lives by. He has some of the most quotable lines in film history.
Speaker 7: So how much ja get paid?
Speaker 5: Twenty five bucks a car paid? You don't get paid? Can you work on commission?
Speaker 2: That's better being paid?
Speaker 8: Most cars your repper worth two or three hundred dollars fifty thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: Portion might make him five grand.
Speaker 8: Come on, dickhead, it helps him dress like a detective.
Speaker 5: Too, detective dress a square. I think this guy's a cop. You're gonna think you're packing some.
Speaker 2: You don't fuck with you so much?
Speaker 3: Are you?
Speaker 7: What? Packing? Some?
Speaker 5: An asshole gets killed for a car. Guys that make it are the guys that get in their cars at any time. Get in at three am, get up at four. That's why they need a repo.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: I know they don't take speed.
Speaker 7: Speed hunh jesus.
Speaker 8: I never broke into a car, never hot weir in a car.
Speaker 2: I never broke into a trunk.
Speaker 8: I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof, nor through inaction. Let that vehicle or the personal contents thereof come through arm.
Speaker 1: That's what I call a repoke.
Speaker 8: Oh kid, don't forget it, etch it in your brains.
Speaker 1: How many people got a code to live by anymore? Hey?
Speaker 5: Look at that repose?
Speaker 1: Assholes over the.
Speaker 5: Ordinary fucking people.
Speaker 1: I hate him, Let me too, What do you know? See?
Speaker 8: An ordinary person spends his life avoiding tense situations. Repoll man spends his life getting into pense situations.
Speaker 5: Let's go get a drink.
Speaker 2: That last one's kind of a motto of mine. That's an aspect of outsider culture that never really gets explored in a mainstream way. It's the Jaws island philosophy. It's only an island from the water. Just so, we're only outsiders if we buy into your bullshit to begin with, some of us think you're the outsiders, and no more so than the cadre of grizzled veterans at the Repo Office. Special shout out to sy Richardson, who shows up in all of Alex Cox's movie and is always effortlessly cool, except maybe for this one bit in Repo Man where he happens to say one of the uncoolest things. Ever, how many times have you heard someone lay this one on you?
Speaker 1: Do you like music?
Speaker 9: Sure?
Speaker 2: In that case, you're gonna love this.
Speaker 1: I was into these dudes before Environment parted with them all the time.
Speaker 2: Asked me to be the manager.
Speaker 1: I called bullshit.
Speaker 3: All that big a job?
Speaker 6: You know me?
Speaker 2: Okay, cool? Sure you did SI. So the repamen are looking for this sixty four Chevy Malibu that's been stolen out of Los Alamos, you know where maybe the government has one of their facilities where they're keeping aliens under wraps from the populace, and in the trunk of that car potentially is an alien body, so the government's after it, and every rebo company in la is too. I mean a city that's the threat of a plot and the reason all the disparate strands of the narrative come together. But really the film is an excuse to send Auto into more and more dangerous scenarios while being ultra philosophy by the dregs of American society. It's really intoxicating. You know how as you get older, when you revisit a favorite piece of fiction, you find yourself responding to different aspects. I'll give you a really fascial example. When I was a teenager, I fully responded to Rorshak and the Watchman. Then in my twenties and thirties, I really grew to identify and I realized how horrible this sounds with the comedian of late as I get closer to a century in age, doctor Manhattan has his hooks in me well. As a kid, I found Harry Dean Stanton's furious outlook to be one of my own, but he's too earth bound he's too the comedian. There is at doctor Manhattan equivalent in this film. That's Tracy Walter, and I kind of think he's a genius.
Speaker 6: A lot of people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch of unconnected incidents of things. They don't realize that there's this life lattice, a coincidence that lays on top of everything. Give you an example, show you what I mean. Suppose you're thinking about a play to shrimp. Suddenly somebody will say, like plate or shrimp or play to shrimp, out of the blue. No explanation, no point look up one either. It's all part of cosmic unconsciousness. We love Acid Miller back in the hippy days.
Speaker 2: Okay, full disclosure. This film and Alex Cox's follow up, Sid and Nancy are about as formative to my young psyche as you can possibly imagine. When I moved to Los Angeles, I became fast friends with a young filmmaker name of C. M. Tulkington. Friends is a holloway to describe our relationship. He's been my big brother for fucking thirty years now. He made a flick called Loven of forty five, The director of photography on which was a fellow named Tom Richmond. I loved Tom beyond the beyond, one of the single coolest human beings I've ever had the pleasure of knowing Tom is no longer with us, so once again, fuck everything. But when I knew him, Tom shared a home with Alex Cox. Alex was forever in Europe, but the strange cinematic family that they all belonged to seem to float in and out of that place. It was an odd circumstance, let me tell you. Going from essentially having my brain wired by art and then hanging out with the artists, I felt weirdly at tuned, though it's hard to describe. The first thing out of my mouth to Abby Wool was a marriage proposal. Abby was the co writer of Sid and Nancy. Just between you and me and all the aging old krusty punks out there, Abby wrote that movie. She turned me down, but she did it really, really sweetly. And we're gonna be talking a little bit more about Abby right now. With the Ripley's pick h to the p K, Thank you HP. We've got to figure out the audio equivalent of the thrill cam. Speaking of movies that are as indelible to me as I don't know what is like Goonies for rest of gen X? Is that it? What's it for millennials? Cabin Boy? That's what those kids love, right, awkward humor and puppets? Wait a minute, was Chris Elliott the father of postmodern comedy? That's worth exploring, though not by me. I love Chris Elliot, don't get me wrong, but something we should all agree on His greatest achievement is his daughter, Abby Elliott. But we're not talking about Abby Elliot, though there would be worse ways to spend a half hour. Note, we're talking about Abbi Wool already told you she air quotes co wrote Sid Nancy, a movie I've already covered on the round up. You should go back and listen to that right now. We'll wait, but by way of recap, Sid and Nancy is the most romantic film of all time. I want to go on, but I've already said enough. But you know what, No, this is the kind of romantic flick that it is. It's an early morning in the world. Isn't awake yet, including your significant other? But it's like they have got their arms wrapped around you while you're watching that movie? Does that make sense in no fucking way? Well it doesn't matter, because Abby Wall's follow up to that goddamned masterpiece is another minor miracle, her directing debut. Shot by Tom Richmond, starring John Doe of the absolutely seminal La Punk band X and Adam Horovitz, also known as the King ad Rock of the Beastie Boys. It's the most purely American movie of the nineteen nineties. This is roadside Profits.
Speaker 1: Somewhere between Barstow and Reno Older Uno. Why do you want to go there anyway?
Speaker 9: Because of this?
Speaker 1: You selling drugs? It's ashes. I met this guy, Jean Mosley, Dave Coleman.
Speaker 5: Hey, the coolest ride.
Speaker 1: They just died on the bike. No plan?
Speaker 2: Some video game?
Speaker 1: Wow? Which one? Sam and Joe are going to hit reality head on?
Speaker 8: What do you guys? Do you ride outlaws?
Speaker 1: I know Alas start out, he rolls through the few Stone and.
Speaker 9: Billie Idler, But you want to be a look out for his transcendent reality sting in sing Out.
Speaker 1: I want you to look around, Just look around, tell me what you'll see. Society that's obsessed with deal and good and happy. Come on, why do you like sex? Oh?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: Does it feels good? Right for the barn together, they'll discover that Motel nine is a state of mind.
Speaker 8: And there was no driving on one of my drinking glasses.
Speaker 3: There was no baths off.
Speaker 7: In my room.
Speaker 1: You got our eyes and El Dorado ain't no Cadillac. They got these bishops here called wee Wise or something.
Speaker 4: When they get old, they get bigger.
Speaker 3: When they get big, they get beat.
Speaker 1: John Doe, Adam Horovitz, David Karrodine, Timothy Leary, Carlow Guthrie, and John Cusack. If you're going to think, don't drive.
Speaker 9: I guess if you want to die in the barne with vampiree decline, it's up to you.
Speaker 1: Roadside profits a film by Sid and Nancy's Abby Wool.
Speaker 2: Who doesn't love a road trip? Weirdos and psychopaths and not the good kind. Even agoraphobes love road trips. Where else can you really appreciate the forgotten art of the mixtape? Playlists can be a modern mixtape, but they've got to be curated and with love. There's a certain breed of barreling down the highway playlist that seem to merge with the moment and the company you're keeping, and it just feels like freedom personified geographically. I don't care where you are go on a road trip. Don't have a car, You have a friend who does, and they haven't seen you in a while, and it would be fun. But choose good surroundings. That's important. Now. This entire show is in my humble opinion, So keep that in mind, no matter what I say, even if it's something I like or you like, Oh nobody likes.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Having said that, you have never experienced the true majesty of a road trip until you've run from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. The trip in the opposite direction is thrilling for other reasons. But the trip we're talking about from the Pacific Ocean past thunderously green hills, through as urban as setting as you're likely to find in the United States, out through a mountainous outcropping and an honest to God pass. You have to ascend a pass to get to the high desert, where things just turn weird and arid, and away you go, and all civilization gives way to the desert and then it's just you and the rubber and the road. And the sky above and the music surrounding you. And at the end it carved out of the nothingness is a city shining bright enough to bounce its light off the moon. Imagine doing that besides someone you adore. Such is the journey our heroes are on. In Roadside Profits, Joe befriend's Dave, a guy at the refinery they both work at playing dig Doug. That's a rough way to go. Even video game nerds have got to know the shame of a dig Doug death. Joe knows nothing about the guy except he loved the town of Jackpot, Nevada. So Joe sets out to deliver his ashes there. Along the way, he's joined by a tag along kid with no real direction, and they encounter those aforementioned profits of the roadside. You heard their names in the trailer, By the way, Peter Cullen Optimist Prime doing the trailer narration from sidon Nancy's Abby Wool Rollout, Joe and Sam encounter a dozen or so desert eccentrics. I mentioned the Americana of it all, traveling down a ribbon of highway and running into the likes of Arlo Guthrie, Timothy Leary, and David Carridine. Those guys are the sixties counterculture, and they deliver some appropriate philosophical musings in their scenes. It's the latter day profits of the roadside that are a little less well known but way more interesting and cynical, particularly a couple played by Bill Cobbs from Hudsucker Proxy and Lynn Shay, who's had a renaissance recently with the Insidious films. His character is dying of cancer and hers aids, and they found each other and are living together in their desert home, making art and spending their remaining time together. There's a line from their scene that has stuck with me. It's ad Rocks Response test.
Speaker 4: Site where they test all the nuclear war is you must have driven right faster. I grew up thirty miles from the test site. I was dying a minute I was born.
Speaker 1: So's everybody.
Speaker 2: So they are My favorite scene in the film takes place at a fifties diner. There were so many fifties diners in the late eighties. What the fuck was happening to be fair Cafe Fifties in La had a great burger I know most of those have closed. Are there any of them left? Save the trouble of googling listeners. Let me know there is still a Cafe Fifties. One fifties diner that is definitely still in operation and I think is the basis for the one seen in Roadside Profits can be found outside Calico ghost Town in Yermo, California. It's Peggy Sus that is a sprawling diner where going back in time to the fifties wasn't enough. It's still all Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis inside, but the outside has become a mini Jurassic Park with dozens of dinosaurs everywhere. I don't think anyone saw the thunder lizards coming, nor would anyone have guessed the gigantic ice cream cup that would spring up just a few miles distant. This is all true. There is a certain craziness to the High Desert that has to be experienced to be believed. Also in the movie, Joe and Sam meet Casper, a Symbionese member played by John Cusack. Cusack starred in Tape Heads produced by Michael Nesmith and Peter McCarthy, and McCarthy is the producer on this. Casper has my favorite joke in the film as he lets Sam and Joe know that he's Symbionese. He winks conspiratorially, but Casper has an eye patch over one eye, and that's the eye he winks with. That ride from La to Victorville to Baker to Vegas is a magnificent one and it will deliver said craziness. But to get the real desert of oddity, you have to go north north, Miss Tesmacher. Are there any fans of Superman two that don't think Miss Tesmacher after someone says north, you know you do? Just north of Las Vegas is where every town gets smaller and all the vistas get larger. It's where you will get lost in red rock canyons, and you will find yourself dumb struck at the sheer void in some places, and you'll run into towns like e Lee, where you can have a damn fine snake while seated in an authentic jail cell from the eighteenth century. It was delicious and a disconcerting. The higher you go, the more desolate the surroundings. And while I've never been to Antarctica, the poll to go there for me is the idea that for a brief time there'd be nothing but the land and you and whatever deity happens to exist, and you can get that feeling somewhere north of Lundon, Nevada. Places that make you realize how easy it would be for anyone to disappear completely. The border between Nevada and Idaho where you find the actual town of Jackpot. It's where poor dead Dave's ashes are being delivered, and it's where our heroes are met with their final crushing defeats that the road trip has planned for them. Ay Man, sometimes songs end in a minor key. It's not a sad ending in any way, though certainly not as somber as the ending of Easy Rider, the road trip from which all others must be measured. Fucking boomers. Now, I take that back, particularly because Peter Fonda is in my Palcardi's film Love in a forty five, playing a variation of his Captain America character from Easy Rider. And that's a good movie, Easy Rider and Love at a forty five. But about Jackpot. It's a one strip town, like one lane highway that speed zones you down to fifteen miles an hour for about one mile like one mile, with a few dozen buildings lining other side. The two main buildings being casinos with attached hotels on opposite sides of the road. It's as way station a town as you can get, and it's really just an excuse for Idaho people to come gamble or people going to Idaho to have at least one last good time. Do you know that the speed limit in parts of Idaho are eighty miles per hour? Even the highways know you want to leave. One time, I was coming back from a gig in Spokane, Washington. It was a full day's drive to get to Jackpot, where I had booked a room site unseen. So I pull into the appropriate casino hotel combo and slept my way through the bitterly cold air. This was in November. I believe in the wind out on those planes fucked man. So I go into the reception desk and they inform me that the hotel is full and I'll be across the street at their overflow. And I'm like, the other casino is your overflow and he says, no, no, no, behind the casino, that's our overflow hotel. So I drive behind the other casino, which is the casino featured in Roadside Profits, and there's this squat looking hotel building. The parking lot is completely empty. There's a key card entrance, but the wind is so violent that the hydraulic doors never get to close. As soon as the door gets whisper close to relocking, a gust of wind wrenches it open, and clearly a door somewhere else open because some of those violent gusts are coming from inside the building, so basically anyone could be in there except staff. There's no staff at all. It's like a Romero film, just abandoned Apocalypse. That same wind is causing a door somewhere in the building to bang at irregular rhythms, the effect of which is to sound like someone running down a hall and getting closer. My stay in jack Pot, Nevada marked the only time I've ever shoved the hotel room's chest of drawers in front of the door. But it has a happy ending because I woke up after my forty five minutes of frenzied sleep. I was that scared to find that the whole world had been blanketed in snow. It was gorgeous, and thus began a treacherous drive home over unplowed snowy desert roads that made the previous night'sphere seem like a day at Disneyland. Nothing like that happens to Sam and Joe. They find each other out in the desert. They find themselves and what's left of America the oddball, insular freaks, and philosophy, you know, the stuff that makes this country actually great. No, not great, cool. No country was ever great, but god damn it, we were cool. Yes, you are still cool yourself, little lady. All right, that will do it for this week's a round up. Like I said, tune in on Friday, it's actually Thursday. Don't tell anybody. For our look at Young Guns two in our continuing Fuseco Fest. Thank you all for joining us. I'm gonna leave you with a bit of dialogue, naturally. It's coming from no not repo man ha ha. I actually like roadside profits a little bit better.
Speaker 9: Once upon a time in ancient Rome, there was a band of gladiators. You know, gladiators were all slaves, but these particular gladiators were utopian saints as well. This was during the decline. It's about one eighty or so ad. These gladiators refuse to perform their battles for the ruined class. That didn't matter to them that they would be crucified or burned or shot with slings and arrows. They wouldn't die for sport.
Speaker 1: They got killed anyway though.
Speaker 9: Well, everybody dies, it's part of life. But these gladiators, they didn't waste their deaths. And maybe because they were martyred or maybe because they were right, their convictions were passed down through the ages.
Speaker 1: They could see the truth.
Speaker 3: Touch Souls, Show, show, show,