Speaker 1: Hey everybody.
Speaker 2: I'm Sierra and I'm Ben, and welcome back to another episode of The Unsolved Couple, where every week Ben and I recap one of your original gateway drugs into true.
Speaker 1: Crime unsolved mysteries.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm excited. It's crime Con week. I will be reporting after we get back. There's going to be heads up. This week's episode is actually going to be split into two. It'll make sense in a little while. We'll get into that. But before we get rocking and rolling on today's episode, just a quick reminder to follow us wherever you guys are listening. Just click that follow buttons would automatically downloads into your feed every week. Find us on social media. We have a Facebook discussion group, we have a TikTok, and we have an Instagram All Unsolved Coupled Pod. You can email us on self couplepod at gmail dot com. And you can support this show a couple of different so there's a buy me a Coffee link down below as well as if you guys are interested in ad free episodes, that is an option for four dollars.
Speaker 1: A month in the link below.
Speaker 2: Through our podcast feed, you can access all of our backhog everything you guys want could ever want need through Unsolved Couple for four dollars a month and get ad free episodes.
Speaker 1: Okay, So.
Speaker 2: I loved today's episode that we're recapping.
Speaker 1: Ben was not in. I absolutely freaking hated this episode.
Speaker 2: And you're gonna know that I loved it because between the two episodes, I have seventeen pages of notes.
Speaker 1: I have one. Seriously, yep, let's just I'm going to acknowledge, okay that I got a computer.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, Ben's notes have shifted, you guys from and it's not even open right now, so when he still is going to have to at some point say hold.
Speaker 1: On, let me let the notes. Yep. But I I can't tell you how much I hated this episode. It annoyed me. I thought it was incredible and this was hands down the hardest episode for me to sit down and do my notes on. I just I didn't care for the way they present it.
Speaker 2: They definitely take a change, right, it is a they So we are covering its season four what episode twenty three?
Speaker 1: So what's it called?
Speaker 2: Because they said it a thousand times been the unsolved mystery of.
Speaker 1: If I have to hear this word, you're going to hear it one more time, the diabolical Mind.
Speaker 2: So it's called it's a special episode called.
Speaker 1: The diet balla mind. Do you know how many times Robert Stack he said it a lot, the diabolical mind. I don't like that word diabolical. Yep, I don't like it. I don't know. I think I don't know. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean I have a reason, all right. I don't have to have a reason. I don't want a reason. I just want to say I don't like it, okay, fair, And maybe this episode ruined it for me, maybe because it was said so many times. So I looked at the history of this.
Speaker 2: As we know, film Rise bought the rights to the show Unsolved Mysteries, and for whatever reason, and this is the Unsolved Mysteries about the show Unsolved Mysteries, they removed a lot of stories. I think I've seen a number of like in the upwards of a couple of hundred cases.
Speaker 1: Hundreds of cases. I told you I did, I dug in, yes, and there's a lot even up to the point we are at a lot of stories. That's what I was going to say.
Speaker 2: This special edition Unsolved Mysteries episode was originally supposed to be their one hundredth episode, which makes sense as to why they kind of stepped outside of their norm.
Speaker 1: Oh it doesn't.
Speaker 2: We we did the Amy Bradley case on our one year anniversary.
Speaker 1: We stepped outside of our box, Yes, but I don't.
Speaker 2: My point is is that we're actually only at like ninety something episode, so they're there alone is like six seven episodes worth of content missing from the original aired versions of these. So this was originally their one hundredth episode of Unsolved Mysteries, and we today are going to actually break it into part one in part two because apparently one of us actually prepared a whole script for two episodes. So when I watched this, Ben Brog, what are you.
Speaker 1: Trying to say? Are you throwing shade? As your co.
Speaker 2: Host, I'm throwing a little bit of shade because I'm shocked that you have one page of notes. So when I watched this originally, it felt like a little overwhelming, because, yes, how are we going to share this because it's not recap and update or you know what's happening today. It's all of these different stories and this reminds it's just it's the mystery of why people do terrible things to other people.
Speaker 1: It's a drive by and in the.
Speaker 2: World of true crime that Ben is not a part of a lot of people have asked this question, how do people become this quote unquote diabolical? Is it nature? Is it nurture? Is it a combination of the two? Are there early warning signs that you can be aware of, are there paths of recovery and treatment and all? And these questions today are still fiercely talked about and debated within the world of true crime. And so I have always found that aspect of the psychology and sociology.
Speaker 1: Of it all very interesting.
Speaker 2: So I found this story, or this case, these cases, I thought the way this was laid out was really an opening conversation to have about that.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 2: Off the top, I'm going to read to you what Robert Stack said to us quote. The words diabolical and sociopath bring to mind the lured villains from horror movies, out of control, glassy eyed, unkept manics. Real life sociopaths bear little resemblance to these movie mad men. They hold jobs, shop for groceries, and appear no different than the rest of us. Most of the time. Some psychiatrists argue that the focus on violent and criminal psychopath behavior has marginalized the study of what they call quote successful psychopaths, people who have psychopathic tendencies but who can stay out of trouble and perhaps even benefit from these traits in some way. So that's kind of the introduction to this is how are some people's psychopaths successful in Some psychopaths become terrible human beings in the world and go on to commit great atrocities, And so we dive into a few of them. Okay, so I'm going to tell you sure we sure do. So I'm going to tell you guys about a few of the psychopaths mentioned on that you guys.
Speaker 1: Are about to find out how little I know.
Speaker 2: And part of the reason I was excited about this is because I have a feeling Ben is not. To most of us listening to true crime podcasts, these names are going to be quite familiar, and their stories are quite familiar to us. I think for Ben, he probably hasn't heard a lot of these things before. And I just think I think, as you are listening to these two cases that I'm going to talk about, it's important to note maybe some similarities in childhood and different events and things like that, so that we can go on to have the conversation about nature versus nurture. Okay, so we start out. Psychopaths often succeed in business because of their defining traits such as lack of empathy, fearless dominance, and a superficial charm. This all aligns well with the demands of a corporate environment. It's very likely that you interact with some of these people who fit these traits or these definitions such as superficial, egotistical, maybe of a gut feeling that they're untrustworthy, and who seem to conceal some sort of anti social tendencies. But what happens when someone can't keep a lid on the darker side of this psychopathic spectrum? We are introduced to John Wayne Gacy. Did you know anything about John Wayne Gacy? Ben before we before you watched this episode.
Speaker 1: So I've heard the name, And if someone asked, have you ever heard of John Wayne Gacy and who is he? I'd be able to say, I've heard the name. Is a serial killer. That is literally all I know. That's all you know. I don't know who he killed. Or like the victims, Like what what I'm trying to say, because obviously serial killers kill a type of people, women, men, children, whatever it is, I couldn't tell you.
Speaker 2: And I don't like to use word famous when it comes to serial killers because I think that feeds into a negative connotation about them being celebritized or whatever. But I will say that they do become infamous because of what they what kind of mark they left on society. So, yeah, you understand, you know who the name John Wyn Gacy is. Outside of the fact that he's a known serial killer. That's about all you know.
Speaker 1: I couldn't tell you what decade he willson. I would believe it's the seventies or the eighties. Okay, buck up, obvious, obviously it's before the because this is this. But if someone asked me, like, what decade did he kill him? Able to tell?
Speaker 2: All right, So serial killer John Wayne Gacy, who is most notably known for rape, torture and murder of at least thirty three young men and boys between nineteen seventy two and nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 1: See, if someone asked me, I would have obviously usually men kill women. Yeah, I would have guessed. Yeah, I would have guessed we're going to get into it. Okay.
Speaker 2: So, and this all took place in Norwood Park Township, which is a suburb just outside of Chicago, Illinois. He became Illinois, not Illinois, sorry, even though there's an S on the end of Illinois. He became known as Illinois. He became known as the quote killer clown. Did you know that about him?
Speaker 1: No? No, okay, I mean, obviously in this episode they said he was a clown. Didn't know that, but yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Due to his public performances as a clown prior to the discovery of his crimes, John WAYN. Gacy committed all of his known murders inside of his ranch style house. Typically, he would lure the victims to his home and dupe them into putting on a pair of handcuffs in the kind of world of make believe. He was pretending with these boys of demonstrating a magic trick, and then he would proceed to rape, torture, and bind like just a total fear before killing these victims by either exphyxiation or strangulation with a Girat twenty six victims were buried within the crawl space of his own personal home that he lived in.
Speaker 1: M hmm, that's disturbing.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's where the term diabolical might ring a bell. John wayn Geese. See, so I'm gonna let's rewind a little bit. We're going to start back at the beginning. So he was born in Chicago, Illinois, March seventeenth, nineteen forty two, the second of three children and the only son of a father that was an auto repair mechanic and a World War One veteran, and his mother was, according to I believe a census, a homemaker. Gaysey was known to have a close relationship with his mother and two sisters, but had a difficult relationship with his father, who was known to be an alcoholic and had a reputation for being verbally and physically abusive to all members of the family, according to Gacy. Now, I will say a lot of the information we have about John Wayne Gacy comes from his own accounts, so take that with a grain of salt. From my understanding, he was one of the people that participated in the FBI's building of the behavior on analysis unit that they have and the ability to what's the word I'm looking for when they build a profile of a killer or a profile of a criminal. He was one of the foundations of that. From my understanding, he gave a lot of interviews and worked closely with the FBI, but that's probably because he was a narcissist and he liked talking about himself. So one of his earliest childhood memories was of his father beating him around the age of four for accidentally disarranging a car engine components. His mother tried to shield her son from the father's abuse, which resulted in accusations that John was a sissy and a mama's boy who would probably and I use these terms because these are direct quotes from this, but I do understand that these terms that I'm going to say, some of them might be offensive to people. That is not my intent. It is to show what he is telling us happen. So quote probably grew up to be queer end quote. Gaysey also claimed that he was molested by a family member starting at an early agent and went on through most of his childhood. In early adult life, Gacy actually moved out of his house to Las Vegas. And I didn't write this down, but it seemed like after a pretty tumultuous argument with his father in a long term battle. His dad purchased him a vehicle or something but put it in his name, and John was paying his father back, but he used it as control and one day he just finally had enough for my understanding and he moved out to Las Vegas. During this time, he worked for an ambulance service before he was actually transferred to a before it was transferred to the Palm Mortuary Company, where he worked as a mortuary attendant for about three months. During that time, he observed embalming and occasionally served as a pallbearer. He claimed that after one evening he had an incident take place that scared him. He said that he was alone at the mortuary and he climbed into the coffin of a male teenage boyhood passed away, and spent the evening embracing and caressing the body. Something about this incident, at least according to him, scared him enough that he moved back to Illinois and enrolled in the Northwest Business College. He graduated in nineteen sixty three and took a manager's training position in the Noonbush Shoe Company, and by nineteen eighty four he was promoted to department manager and became engaged to a woman named Marlon or Maryland sorry, she was a coworker. So I think it's interesting that we see waves of this of these times in John Wayne Gacy's life, and you see it throughout people that have watched or learned things about other infamous serial killers, where they have these times where they try to kind of almost put this mask on to pretend to be normal, and it just doesn't ever seem to last that long.
Speaker 1: But the whole point of.
Speaker 2: This conversation is that Gaysey was well beloved within his community, even though early on he had some major red flags. He went on to join the local chapter of the jc's I honestly don't know what that is. I think it's like a moose lodge sort of thing. Do you have any idea what that is? No?
Speaker 1: No, okay.
Speaker 2: They seem to do a lot of like charity work and different things for whatever community.
Speaker 1: What's a moose lodge. I think a moose lodge is because whatever it is, I kind of want to be a part of it.
Speaker 2: I don't think I have a moose lodge around here. But it was like the Chamber of where there's all of these like little sort of like networking groups you can pay a small fee to be a part of, and you go and you have these meetings, and you do charity work, and you do all these different things. But you also co mingle with these other business owners or different members of the community to also kind of grow your businesses within that. So he joined the jc's and to whom he frequently devoted a lot of time in the just j C. So it's jay C E E S j c's And it.
Speaker 1: Was like a group. Yeah, I have a computer, I'm gonna you're gonna look it up. I'm gonna payogle.
Speaker 2: So he devoted a lot of time and effort to community fundraising projects, and by nineteen sixty five, Gasey had raised Risen to the position of vice president of the Springfold the Springfield Chapter and was actually named the third most outstanding member in all of Illinois. So him and his wife went on to marry in September of nineteen sixty four, and at this time his father in law purchased three KFCs in.
Speaker 1: Waterloo, Iowa.
Speaker 2: The couple actually relocated so that Gaysey could manage the restaurants, and they moved into her childhood home.
Speaker 1: It is a nonprofit civic organization for young professionals, entrepreneurs, and active citizens ages eighteen to forty. Man, they discriminate, so there you go. So, yeah, the same thing.
Speaker 2: There's a thousand different brands of these everywhere you go.
Speaker 1: So they moved in to.
Speaker 2: His wife's former home, and he was offered a really lucrative salary. At one point he would receive fifteen thousand per year, which is equivalent to about one hundred and fifty six thousand dollars a year in a salary in twenty twenty six, which means inflation has really gotten out of control of that. What yu is this nineteen sixty four?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Plus he would actually also bring in a share of the restaurant's profits. So this man and I don't know if he if they purchased there, I couldn't find this information. It seems like they gave him a house and a job and a cush salary. This man is potentially set up for like the rest of his life. He didn't purchase the KFCs and KFCs at this time, dude, that was peak KFCs.
Speaker 1: So sorry, am I a distract for just a second. That's fine. This story is very dark. So if you've got a fun, lighthearted if anyone's ever interested, go listen to Micro, the guy that does dirty jobs. He has a podcast and it's called The Way I Heard It. It's different now, but when he started it, they're literally six to ten minutes long, and he tells a story of a something in history, but you don't know what it is until the end, and he tells you, like what who it was? A person? He tells the story of Colonel Sanders and his KFC. It's awesome. I won't spoil it for you. It's great. I don't know it's I think the episode is the Man with a Secret or something like that. It is great. Go find it, go listen to it, and you'll be like, holy smokes. And that's where KFC came from. It's awesome. I think like our early childhood. I think I remember the biscuits were amazing.
Speaker 2: I think by the time we were like sixteen plus where no one was like, let's go to KFC.
Speaker 1: But I remember I was like a younger kid.
Speaker 2: If your mom brought home the bucket of KFC, it was good.
Speaker 1: It was going to be a good day. I agree, and but I like, I grew up with seven kids. Do you know how many times I had KFC before I was ten? Like once? I think my so.
Speaker 2: My parents both like worked part mostly on and off. They both worked most of my childhood. Once I was old enough to stay them, and I remember KFC happened, and probably not every week, but maybe once a month or so, the bucket of KFC coming home with my mom, and it was going to be a good.
Speaker 1: Day, It was a good night. I was sorry I distracted you. It was the good old days of KFC. I'm not the good old days of good food. Okay.
Speaker 2: My whole point is is that by his early adulthood he has a house, a career, and from my understanding, he didn't.
Speaker 1: Even graduate high school. This is something that.
Speaker 2: Today people would love to have every opportunity. And if John wynng Gacy, which we will go to find out later he is officially diagnosed with psychopathic tendencies and different things, he could have chosen to channel those in a different direction, but unfortunately he doesn't. So during the same time him and his wife would go on to have two children. He actually from what according to him, made amends with his father and used the word quote perfect when talking about this period.
Speaker 1: Of his life.
Speaker 2: However, his tendencies started to lean towards grooming and sexual advances towards teenage boys, underage boys.
Speaker 1: From my understanding.
Speaker 2: In one report that during the time he owned all these KFCs or was running them, he made a quote clubhouse in the basement of the house he was living in that like everyone was invited to come to, but really only like the young boys working at KFC were invited to come to, and he provided them alcohol and then proceeded to use that opportunity to you know, take advantage of these boys. So May tenth, nineteen sixty eight, Casey's actually indicted on a sodomy charge, which is no joke, Like that's not a small charge. November seventh, he pled s guilty. He in nineteen sixty eight, he pleads guilty to one kind asodomy and is sentenced to ten years in prison. That same day, his wife files for divorce. Okay, so now we start to see.
Speaker 1: The things fall apart.
Speaker 2: Things are falling apart, and be ready to get mad because we're gonna find out. I'm gonna tell you here in a minute, how long he actually served, because the question is is, just like we talked about what last week, why are some of these.
Speaker 1: People's sentenced for so long?
Speaker 2: And then the parole board just like or sentenced to life or death and then the parole board decides to let them out.
Speaker 1: I forgot about that. Yeah, was terrible. That was terrible.
Speaker 2: So during his incarceration, of course, the mask of being this like amazing charming, we see the second side of the psychopath, right, the ability to trick diabolic, diabolical side, right where he rapidly acquires a reputation as a quote model prisoner and within months of the arrival. And from my understanding, this is not easy to do within the walls of prison. And I will say most of my knowledge on prison comes from the show Orange just the New Black, And I understand that that is not correct.
Speaker 1: Do you think that's real life?
Speaker 2: To no, but I do love that show. He is risen to the position of head cook. And based on my knowledge of the show Orange is the new Back, head Cook is like where it's at. That's like Kingpin, That's that is the that's what everyone wants.
Speaker 1: Everybody is trying to come in and within a few months to have that position, it's not easy to do.
Speaker 2: He also, of course, because why not there is a JC chapter within the prison, because who doesn't need marketing and shared like mentorship then men inside prison, and during his incarceration he rows the membership from fifty to six hundred and fifty men. So we're sharreting. By this time, we know he has a charming side.
Speaker 1: Gaysey, he has a charming personality.
Speaker 2: His charming personality, so Gaycy secures an increase in the inmates daily in their daily pay in the prison mess hall and supervises several projects improving conditions for the inmate. He is in charge of getting the funding and installation of a miniature golf course within prison and was presented with a Distinguished Service Award for his efforts within the inmate JC chapter. And I would like to point out he's not just charming the inmates, he's charming the leadership within the prison. The inmates, like everyone is termed by this guy. After only serving eighteen months, this man is granted her role from a ten year sentence.
Speaker 1: It is actually shocking back then because in the sixties and seventies I could be wrong, but it seemed like people serve more of their sentence.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, we like to think, I think as people have never been involved in that side of Like I've never been to prison, I've ever been that people are actually serving a majority of their sentence.
Speaker 1: But I don't know, like nowadays, like a lot of times if it's not murder.
Speaker 2: But here's the best part. He was granted parole. His probation was only twelve months, so it wasn't even like he was at least on probation for the.
Speaker 1: Rest because usually your parole, like your probation is the length of your sentence. Yep.
Speaker 2: So he was only granted a year of probation.
Speaker 1: So in the end, he really only did two and a half years of being monitored by the system.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So he returns to Chicago, moves in with his mother, and was it within months?
Speaker 1: You guys.
Speaker 2: While on probation, Gasey is charged two separate times for sexually assaulting a teenage boy. Each case is dismissed for us.
Speaker 1: So he broke his probation. Yeah, but we're back to prison and finished his since.
Speaker 2: But for some unknown reason, the Iowa Board of Parole never was informed about these incidents because both charges ended up being dismissed. And I will say it seems like they were dismissed because these were young boys that were sexually assaulted by a man. And I even to this day, victims coming forward is hard. I can't imagine when you are dealing with that as a young boy having to come forward about it. Not that any victim is harder than the other to come forward, however, it is a very underreported crime. And so it seems like for a handful of reasons within that sphere, the cases were dropped so and the par board was never informed about these and this seems to kind of be the pattern that Gacy would live. He would gain the trust of people around him, becoming well liked and loved by members of his community. He hosted annual summer parties. These events were attended by up to four hundred people, including neighbors, politicians, business associates. He regularly performed at fundraising events and parades. In addition to volunteering at a local children's hospital as Pogo the Clown, Gasey spent time inside the Democratic Party. Within politics, he served as the Norwood Park Township street light Committee, subsequently earning him this Captain's title, and in nineteen seventy five, he's appointed the director of Chicago's annual Polish Constitutional Day Parade. Through his work with the parade, which he would supervise until nineteen seventy eight. This is where we see Gasey met and is pictured with the First Lady, Rosalind Carter, wearing a quote s pin indicating a person gave a person that was given special clearance to spend time around the First Lady. The event later became uh in the event later an ambassador to like, well, yeah, given special clearance that was given to him by the ambassador of the United States Secret Service. This entire time, you guys that he's doing all these things within the community, hosting parties and being part of these committees and meeting the First Lady, he's actively sexually assaulting and murdering young men within the same community. So Caasey's finally brought to trial in February sixth, nineteen eighty and charged with thirty three murders. Thirty three murders. That's a lot of murders.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, so how did they get to them?
Speaker 2: I know, I love that you are intrigued by that. I actually I will tell you, guys, I have a couple pages of notes. I'm trying to give you a very brief summary in case anyone listening, like Ben, doesn't know the history of John Wayne Gacy. I left a lot of stuff out.
Speaker 1: It's okay, okay, anyone that's listening, it's okay. If you don't I you can be on my side. Yes, I left a lot of stuff out. I'm just kind of giving you the.
Speaker 2: Cliff notes version of the both sides of him. So the jury went on to deliverate only for an hour and fifty minutes, which I'm sure even that they probably figured it out within a few minutes. And then we're like, I mean, we we have to give it a little.
Speaker 1: While eight lunch. That's probably what they're doing, Like, you know what, let's just eat some lunch. So it looks like we talked about this. Yeah. And then well, because it was probably done in like two minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we're going to find out all of the bodies are buried in his house.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying. They probably as they walked in the door of the deliberation room, they're like, yeah, He's technically not all bodies.
Speaker 2: There's a few bodies that were found in a river within a few miles.
Speaker 1: Of his home.
Speaker 2: But so Gaysey's actually found guilty of thirty three charges of murder and also found guilty of sexually assault and taking indecent liberties with a child. So, on the morning of May ninth, nineteen ninety four, Gaysey is transferred to Statesville Correction Center to be executed. That afternoon, he was allowed a private picnic on the grounds with his family, and I have this information for you. For his last meal, Benjamin, this is what Gaysey ordered. A bucket of KFC French fries, a dozen fried shrimp, a basket of fresh strawberries, and a diet coke.
Speaker 1: I hate that he asked for a diet coke. I knew you would when I heard that, Like KFC. Huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's actually a very interesting there's a TikTok account or maybe it's in his Instagram account who like talks about inmates of all kinds death row inmates of their last meals and then like tries to eat them and a lot of them are really gross. But yeah, KFC French fries, a dozen fried shrimps. We would be first drubber, he's got to be healthy, I guess at some point, and then diet coke. So that is a story of John Wayne Gacy. Can you see from that kind of recount of that how he became so infamous because of what he did?
Speaker 1: Well, I think anyone that kills thirty three people, yeah, it's a lot of people.
Speaker 2: But also on top of that, the scary part is is that this man like is throwing block parties and is photographed with the first lady. That's not something that everybody gets like access to. And he also at one point like worked in a construction company and like offered and volunteered to help people that were like not able to pay their bills or.
Speaker 1: Do different things.
Speaker 2: Like there was this other side of him that was like a really good person. But was that actually john Wyn Gacy or was that John Wyn Gacy pretending to be what he thought the world wanted to see so that he could do what he wanted to do. And with his childhood history, was this man born a psychopath or based on some of the things he went through in his childhood? Was this created or was it a combination of both?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Do you have any thoughts. I mean, obviously I'm not a psychologist.
Speaker 2: I don't think anyone is claiming that we.
Speaker 1: Were a sociologist.
Speaker 2: Or whatever, psychiatrist or any of those things, any of the phs.
Speaker 1: Here's one thing, and this is me giving a little bit of credence to unsolved mysteries. Okay, in unsolved mysteries, I have now heard of many of people's childhoods. We get a lot of lost loves. Some of them are pretty horrific, and they're amazing people. So I don't know where I'm going. All I'm saying is the thought that because your childhood was terrible, that then makes you a terrible person. I think is debunked in a way, because there are a lot of people in the world who grow up pretty terrible and go on to become amazing people. And maybe there was something in there along the way that helped shape them. But I just don't think that. I don't know. There are kids that grow up in orphanages and are never loved till they're eighteen, and then they go out and they find someone and they love and they start a family and they become good people. So can we say that, Well, there's a lot of kids that grow up and are abused physically and sexually and then go on and be pillars of society. Take take the girl that you told by her father who was a police officer in Chicago, and she's she became an amazing person and a victim, I mean, a supporter of victims. So I guess I'm sure can you say that that contributed to it absolutely? But also there is the flip side of that. People then have that and then go on and they that. So I don't know, Like that's all I'm saying. I'm not saying one way or another. I'm just saying you can make the argument both ways.
Speaker 2: I think that's why it's such a fascinating conversation, and I think to this day why a lot of people in this field of study are trying to I don't think anyone thinks and I could be wrong. I'm sure there are people out there with PhDs that think it is solely one or solely the other. I think most of the consensus is is that it is innately a combination of both born with an underlying personality disorder and then compound it with some sort of childhood trauma that you then go on to become a terrible person, and instead of maybe becoming the better person, you let the other side of you. I don't know it is you and I are both Yeah.
Speaker 1: You're right.
Speaker 2: I actually started going back to school at one point where I was going to learn about this field of study in the world of psychology and stuff like that, because I find it fascinating. But this is why I found this episode so fascinating, because I don't think that there is a correct answer for this, And I think you bring up a very good point. Why is it that some people choose to go on to either live just a normal lives or b go on to live extraordinary lives.
Speaker 1: They go on to do good and.
Speaker 2: Actually pursue a path to try to even though that childhood was never handed to them, to go on to create that childhood for other people.
Speaker 1: I just I think a lot of times people are trying to find the cause to then be able to diagnose it before, and it just goes to show that I don't think that you can say if obviously, I think we definitely know this in twenty twenty six, if this and this happens, this is what you're going to grow up to be. It just goes to show that. And there's a lot of I'm sure there's people that grow up with great childhoods that then still go on to do terrible things. So there is no list of if these things happen or these events. All you can really do is look at people after they've done all these terrible things and say, I think this stuff possibly contributed to it. But you can't say that that stuff always contributes to it, because lots of people have that and go on and do good things. And there's a lot of people that grow up with perfectly fine lives and then still turn out to be terrible people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's actually and I spoke with I think this lady a little bit because at one point, I don't know, I can't remember the name of the top of my head.
Speaker 1: She is she has a PhD in this, and she is.
Speaker 2: Trying her whole goal and she wrote a book about it, and all of this stuff is trying to help.
Speaker 1: Psychiatrists and stuff.
Speaker 2: Is there early warning signs that we can help kids that might be displaying signs of going down path a where we can give them the therapy and tools that they need so that we can make them into what you would call a more successful psychopath, that they've got the ability to channel that sort of desire to succeed in energy to be backstabbing in business and cut through in the business, in the courtroom as a lawyer, or whatever it is is. And I wish I could remember, because I listened to several of she was a guest on several podcasts. She had some really amazing insight on stuff. And that's a hard conversation to have, but I don't I find it fascinating. So the other case study that unsold because this is all unsolved mysteries, tells us about John Wayne Gacy, and then they're gonna tell us about.
Speaker 1: They didn't tell us that much about Joan.
Speaker 2: I know, I kind of went overboard on this, but you know whatever, it's my podcast.
Speaker 1: I can do whatever I want.
Speaker 2: The next person that they tell us about, and then Ben's gonna tell us about two different people that maybe took their psychopathic behavior in a very different direction, but still not a good one. The next one I tell you about is a name infamous too many people within the world of true crime, Ted Bundy. Did you know a little bit more about Ted Bundy than you did, John Wayne Gacy.
Speaker 1: I think we've all heard about Tim Bundy. I definitely someone asked me, have erit Timmant? Yes, he's a serial killer. He killed women, maybe prostitutes, college students. All I know about Ted Bundy it was the seventies and eighties, and he was very charming and good looking. Yes, that's the extent of my knowledge, attendman, But I would know for a fact he was a serial killer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, John Wyn Gacy was not a good looking guy. He was a schlub of a man, soggy, mashed potatoes looking guy, the band aid that washes the still life.
Speaker 1: Was he executed? Yes? I thought he died because he was in prison for a long time.
Speaker 2: About the guy from California, Charles Manson, Charles Manson, is.
Speaker 1: I do know more about Charles wins I read the book. I read Helter Skelter. Sure you should be proud of me for that. I am proud of you for that. You know where I finished Helter Skelter. Tell me at Jerry Duty that's funny. Well, I did, because I was reading it, I was in it and here at least at that time. This was years ago. This was probably ten years ago.
Speaker 2: When I got We were weirding it at the same time. We were living in our old house, so it was when.
Speaker 1: Our kids were We had jury duty three times now, but this was the second time I had jury duty. And you all like, there's a big room and you all get called there, and then as the day goes on, they call your number and you go up to a courtroom, and there are some days where your number doesn't get called. That was that time. The other two times I did get called up to a courtroom. At that time, I sat in that room till three o'clock in the afternoon, from like eight in the morning, and I read pretty much the whole book. I was already in it, but I finished the book at jury duty that day.
Speaker 2: Anyways, for the record, just in case, another fun fact about jury duty at least term Pima County. You cannot take a crochet hook into because I had to also sit in that same room.
Speaker 1: I could have told you that if you asked me it's a crochet hook.
Speaker 2: I figured it's still yes, say I can take it onto the airplane.
Speaker 1: It's a courthouse with criminals. The courthouse needs it's a courthouse with criminals in there. I realized that the criminals are there tsa with a bunch of people that paid for a plane ticket. They're literally possible murderers there.
Speaker 2: It was like, do you have a long piece of metal in your bag? Because you have to go through a thing, and I was like, do you possibly have a shank in your bag? And I was like, well, I've got like a pen and he's like, yeah, maybe that's it. And I go, oh, I have a crochet hook and he's like, yeah, that would finally be it. And I was like, are you telling me I can't crochet while I'm sitting here? And he's like no, And I said, well, what if I brought in a plastic crochet hook and he said no, And I said, well, can then I bring in my embroidery kit and embroider and he said no, and I said cross ditch and he said no.
Speaker 1: And I said, you don't what.
Speaker 2: Am I supposed to do while I'm sitting here? Because I didn't want to actually just sit there and doom scroll on my phone. And I didn't bring a book with me because I brought my crochet kit.
Speaker 1: Well, I brought a book. Well, look at you Helter Skelter.
Speaker 2: That's so funny. Okay, so yeah, I think you're getting it confused. That's a different serial killer with a very different mo still a psychopath. Where he was charming, he was not good looking, also definitely had short man syndrome. So but Ted Bunny Ted Bundy, who also appeared on the outside to be a quote pillar of society. This is what I will tell you this. We talked about this sometimes as a female, specifically, studying men like this is terrifying because they are disarming. So Ted Bundy was born Theodore Robert Colwell November twenty fourth, n named Theodore Theodore Yet nineteen forty six to a female and was listen, well, okay, this one I'm taking was this is my point. He was brought into the earth via his mother, and I'm there's a lot of aneminity around people that are related to these people, and I'm not she's probably obviously still not alive anymore. But I'm not going to like name a bunch of people that were in this man's circle who didn't have anything to do with the terrible things that he did. So he was born to his mother inside the A Lizzazabeth lewed home for unwet mothers and his biological father. Technically, to this day has never been confirmed. Some family members expressed suspicion that he was actually a product of incest by the mother's father. However, from what I can find, and again a lot of this is unverifiable by a second or third source. A documentary film called Crazy Not Insane. A psychiatrists at the time claimed she received a sample of.
Speaker 1: Ted Bundy's blood.
Speaker 2: And tested the DNA against his like his family members, and it confirmed that he was not the product of incest. However, it could not find any way to verify or second source that. But that's what was out there, being the point that I don't think things were aokay when he was brought into this world. The first three years of his life, Bundy lived in a neighborhood of Philadelphia with his grandparents. The grandparents that maybe even supposedly was part of the incest, which if that's the case, take that for what it is. For whatever reason, because maybe it was of the time, the couple raised them as their own son to avoid social stigma. There was a company by childbirth outside of wedlock. Family's friends and even young Bundy were told that his grandparents were his biological mother and father, and that his actual mother was his older sister. So biographer and true crime writer and Rule who actually knew Ted Bundy personally wrote that he didn't find out about his true parentage until the year nineteen sixty nine, when he located his original birth record in Vermont. Bundy expressed a lifelong resentment after that towards his mother for never telling him about his real father and for leaving him to discover the truth about his genealogy on his own. I think we're kinding to see maybe at some point, and again I'm not a professional, we start to see his resentment towards females a little early on in his life. In nineteen fifty, his mother changed her surname and, at the urge of multiple family members, left Philadelphia with her son to live with her cousin in Tacoma, Washington. In the next year, she would go on to marry a man I'll just call him Johnny, but I guess last name is Bundy. That's where he got it. He went on to actually, within right away of their marriage, adopt Bundy, and the couple welcomed four more additional children into the home. According to his adopted father, he tried desperately to include Bundy into camping trips and other family activities, but Bundy remained distant from him. He would later complain to a girlfriend that Johnny was quote not his real father and was quote wasn't very bright and didn't make much money.
Speaker 1: So we start to.
Speaker 2: See again him putting inphasis and importance on outward appearance. So, of course, as we see in a lot of children that maybe grow on to be psychopaths, we do start to see disturbing behavior. A childhood neighbor in Tacoma recalled that Bundy was a mean spirited kid who liked to inflict pain and suffering and fear. According to this girl's report, he once engaged an animal cruelty by hanging a straight cat from his backyard clothesline and setting it on fire with lighter fluid.
Speaker 1: Just sick cats. I will say, I think that's.
Speaker 2: That is one of the indicators of yeah, is inflicting cruelty.
Speaker 1: Cruelty Damn Yeah.
Speaker 2: She also claimed that Bundy would take younger children from the neighborhood into the woods, force them to strip, and then proceed to terrorize them. He then, in his early adolescence, became known as a local peeping tom. Again things that I would consider to be red flags and warning signs that maybe we needed to get some help.
Speaker 1: In August.
Speaker 2: Of nineteen sixty eight, Bundy attended the Republican National Convention in Miami, and shortly afterwards he met a girl name.
Speaker 1: So John Ley Gacy was a Democrat, he was a Republican. Yeah, it's on both sides of the aisle.
Speaker 2: You're telling me that people in politics are narcissistic psychopaths.
Speaker 1: Ben, that's not I think I have a quote about that in My and Mine in your story. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So during this time he meets a girl by the last move of Edwards, and he would tell later, I think in one of the books written about him, that this was the one girl he actually ever had feelings and like truly love the only person in his life. However, their long term relationship at some point ends, and this.
Speaker 1: Kind of becomes.
Speaker 2: The pinpoint in Ted Bundy's life that things start to.
Speaker 1: Really fall apart.
Speaker 2: Devastated by the breakup, Bundy travels around the country and at the time frequently visits New York City, where he was drawn to pornography. He actually spoke quite a bit about the use of pornography in one of the interviews that he did. One thing I actually didn't know about New York City at the time was Times Square was actually like an adult only sort of like Mecca with peak shows and Triple X theaters and all of It's crazy a someone who's been New York multiple times and while Times Square is not like this amazing polish like Metropolis.
Speaker 1: I think there's a target there.
Speaker 2: Except there's a target and an old navy and a really good pizza place, the best pizza you can ever find, Saborrows.
Speaker 1: You're thinking to Michael Scott at the office, that was a good one man, Thank you. That was best pizza in New York.
Speaker 2: But I watched this documentary and because I didn't know this that during this time, Times Square was like the CDCD part of Like and it was all Triple X stuff. So Ted Bundy became a regular during this and he immersed himself.
Speaker 1: How come x x X became you know what?
Speaker 2: That is a podcast for a different day. I will send that touch.
Speaker 1: The three x's and said, this has to do with bad things.
Speaker 2: I don't know because I think at one point the triple X remember like an old cartoons. I think that was like on the liquor bottles. It was like XXX was well, now we have do is that two x's though?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, So I'm just saying I don't know who stole that. That's a Google search that I don't feel like. I'm not searching that. I refuse.
Speaker 2: So unfortunately, and he does actually a lot of interviews about this. He began to immerse himself in the world of extremely violent pornography.
Speaker 1: Including he was doing interviews, so it sounds like he liked to listen to himself.
Speaker 2: Him and both John Wayne Gacy talked about themselves a lot and violent literature with the undertones and themes of pornography as well. It was also at this time, while he was indulging in these things and angry about his breakup, that he discovered the truth about his mother. So again we start to see everything piling on. In the fall of nineteen sixty nine, he meets a girl named Elizabeth and her young daughter. Their tumultuous relationship would actually continue well past his incarceration in Utah in nineteen seventy six. There's an entire documentary on this. It's a very complicated thing, this relationship with Elizabeth, I'm not going into that.
Speaker 1: Are you seeing a relationship with a die of allcle mind?
Speaker 2: And by mid nineteen seventy Bundy is focused and a goal oriented. Based on this relationship, he re enrolls at you W as a psychology major. He becomes an honor student and was well regarded by his professors. He takes a job at Seattle's suicide crisis hotline. Again we see this man for intending to be what everyone thinks he wants to be. To put your feelings to the side about any red flags. After graduating, he joined Governor Daniel Jay's re election campaign and was actually appointed to Seattle Crime Prevention Advisory Committee. What that's It's just crazy to me that Ted Bundy was on an anti crime committee.
Speaker 1: I think that's what we call him oxymoron.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So there's actually no consensus as to when and where Ted Bundy actually started taking the lives of women. He's told multiple different stories to multiple different people because he is an a whole psychopath, guys, and again, a lot of the stuff that I'm telling you about his life is from him. So take it with a grain of salt, because he probably lied about just about everything, and he refused up until the very end to divulge the specifics of his earliest crimes, and even like the days proceeding right up into his execution. So we do know that in January of nineteen seventy four, Bundy would kick off a murder spree through the Western United States, including Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Utah and Colorado. He'd be found guilty of kidnapping and assaulting in June, where again he was sentenced to fifteen years in prison. However, Bundy was a slippery little sucker, and the other thing he loved to do outside of murder and just being a crew.
Speaker 1: Was escape.
Speaker 2: He had multiple successful escapes, and in nineteen seventy seven, Bundy piled books and files into his bed, cover them up with a blanket, and climbed into the crawl space. He breaks through the ceiling into an apartment of the chief jailer, who was out for the evening with his wife, changed in the street clothes from the jailer's closet, and walks out.
Speaker 1: The front door.
Speaker 2: The skeleton crew did not discover his escape until noon on December thirty first, because a lot of people were gone for the Christmas holidays. By then, Bundy was already in Chicago, And this is what's said is that he was at one point in prison.
Speaker 1: He escapes.
Speaker 2: At this point, he takes a train to Florida and in January of nineteen seventy eight, living in tallyhousee Florida, he promises himself he's going to be on the straight and narrow.
Speaker 1: From this point, attempts to get a job. Did he escape from murder or just out kidnapping an assault?
Speaker 2: By this point, he tells himself he's going to get his life together and tries to start finding work. He gets employment offered at a construction place, but within a few days is unable to prove his identification, so he is let go firm work. And he blames the fact that he couldn't find real work because he was on the lamb as to why he was forced into shoplifting and stealing money and credit cards for women's purses that started him back into his life of crime. It wasn't his fault, it was everyone else's fault. And so January fifteenth, nineteen seventy eight, so literally like weeks after moving. At one week after his arrival in Tallahassee, that he attempted to get a job and couldn't possibly work, he would start to murder people. He would enter this the sorority house. This is terrible, you guys, So multiple trigger warnings throughout this whole episode, obviously, but he would enter a sorority house through the rear door, where a faulty lock gave way. That night, he would brutally attack and murder three women within the home, leaving a fourth one for dead. Karen Chandler, aged twenty one, survived the attack only when she claimed that in headlights from either a neighbor pulling in or out spooked Ted Bunny and he left the house. So he went in and brutally attacked four women within the home, killing three of them.
Speaker 1: February eighth, so less than like or just over.
Speaker 2: Less than a month later, he would take the life of Kimberly Leech, who was only twelve years old at the time. February fifteenth, Ted Bundy's pulled over for driving in a stolen car and is arrested. In the stolen vehicle, they find three sets of IDs belonging to females who attended FSU students at FSU as students, and twenty one different stolen credit cards, and of course of all things are stolen TV set. In the end, Ted Bundy would be given two death sentences issued July nineteen seventy nine. In January nineteen seventy eight m and then again yeah, the death sentence was for the twelve year old girl was the second one, so for all the girls at the Florida State and then the twelve year old girl Kimberly Leach. Bundy declined a last meal and was executed by the electric chair on Florida State Prison at seven sixteen a m. On January twenty fourth, nineteen eighty nine, at age forty two. His last words were addressed to his attorney, a man named Jim, and a Methodist minister named Fred.
Speaker 1: Jim and Fred.
Speaker 2: He said, I'd like to give you my love and send it to my Oh no, just Scar, excuse me, Jim and Fred, I'd like you to give my love my family and friends. While incarceration, Ted Bundy confessed to over confessed to thirty murders committed across seven states between nineteen seventy four and nineteen seventy eight. So over four years he claims to have taken the life of thirty women.
Speaker 1: How many of these confirmed, Uh.
Speaker 2: Not all of them yet, because I will tell you authorities actually believe the victim count is much higher. They believe that the estimated range of the women that came into his path and their lives were ended could be up to one hundred victims. Even as of today. April of twenty twenty six, new DNA testing linked and UNSLF death of a young Utah teenage girl who walked to a convenience door on Halloween evening who went missing and was found dead later to to Ted Bundy. At the time of a girl named Ammy her killing, Bundy was living in Salt Lake and studying law at the University of Utah. So this is when we hear from one of the talking heads of the episode, a man named James Fox, who is a criminologist, and he says, quote, a lot of psychopaths don't just kill individuals. They're not content with that.
Speaker 1: A lot of.
Speaker 2: Psychopaths run countries. I see no fundamental difference between someone like Ted Bundy and someone like Adolf Hitler, who simply used very different techniques for a very similar end. Okay, sorry, guys, I've been talking for a while. This is again why I wanted to point why I wanted to break this up into two episodes.
Speaker 1: So with that to speak clear though, that's not what Robert Steck told us.
Speaker 2: He they talked about these two men, but they only literally just said what they were going, picked it up and what they did. Yeap, which is what I'm going to guess. Ben's going to just tell us about the next.
Speaker 1: Two day talked about what Unsul Mysteries told us.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, was that bad? I can rewrite my stuff.
Speaker 1: Nothing you ever do is bad. You are perfect in every way. Thank you.
Speaker 2: This is this was my vision for this episode when I saw that you have a vision, I have a vision. I don't okay, I have no visions.
Speaker 1: My vision was me telling you I'm just the person and I just do.
Speaker 2: And Ben is going to tell us about two men who were world leaders in psychopaths. They are just two of a drop in the bucket, just like John Wayne Gacy and Ted Bundy are.
Speaker 1: Okay, hold on, let me get my notes. I think they get a sticker that says that hold on, let me get my notes. Okay, very good, sir, Are you ready? Okay? But did you learn something about these? Learned a lot? Okay, I'll be honest. I thought Ted Bundy like went on a rampage. I didn't realize that after four that they knew about he caught and then it was like over decades we've linked him.
Speaker 2: Since yeah, because it was the fiction of the ones in Florida, but then they've found him throughout all of the Pacific, Northwest, Colorado and Utrabity.
Speaker 1: But I thought all these women, you thought this was all in a short amount of time, Like well, no, What I thought is that all these women had been killed. They kind of assumed and that they were hunting a serial killer, not knowing it was him for a long time. And then they finally found it was him, and they were surprised that it was him because he's this nice, good looking guy. I didn't know that. It was like, oh, he went there, he kills some people, and they caught him pretty quickly. And then they've come to find out later that he might be linked to all these other people and they just started linking things. Goes to show you my knowledge, I know, little read, little watched, little Okay, So here we go. Robert Stacks comes in. He's in this cool like library type of it's a pretty cool building, would you agree? Yeah? I was. I was into the building. It was like sophisticated, all right. And he says, the most destructive psychopaths are the ones that achieve absolute political power. And so then he goes on to tell us a little bit about Adolf Hitler. He appeared non threatening, like they show home videos of Hitler, and you know, he seemed personally seemed non threatening. But then we come and find out what did Hitler do? All right? So theories are that Hitler lacked bonding in his growing up. In his early years. We get some quotes by some docs and some psychologists that psychopaths grow up feeling unloved, out of control, and when he grows up, he was an intense need for control of others. Right. Hitler's father was fifty two when he was born. That's old. I can't imagine having a kid at fifty two.
Speaker 2: That sounds h I don't I can't imagine either, But I think that's typical with men that marry younger women.
Speaker 1: So, but his father was supposedly physically and emotionally abusive. Okay, we get another quote. Psychopaths killed because that is the ultimate act of humiliation and dominance to show their total power and control over other human beings. And the crazy part about Hitler is that he had no empathy for his victims. And we all know what Hitler did. He killed six mind Jews and a lot of other people.
Speaker 2: And rose to power because he was very personable.
Speaker 1: He was. Yeah, he was a great public big loser.
Speaker 2: He failed out of like everything he'd ever achieved, which sucks that the one thing he was successful at was becoming a world leader. As every other venture he tried to take on, relationships, art school, everything failed at.
Speaker 1: But yet this was the one thing he was six a lot. I have found Hitler and Germany that lead up very interesting. I've watched a lot of stuff on watch a lot of documentaries that great one. There's some excuse me, there is a Hitler's Circle of Evil on Netflix. And then Netflix just came out with one about like the Nuremberg Trials, but it's not. It talks about the Nuremberg Trials, but it also like goes back and talks about the lead up to that stuff. It's pretty awesome. I really liked it. So I've studied this a lot. I actually and I read part of that book from now. I can't think of his name, but he's the one that covered the Nuremberg trials. He's very famous. So he called The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. It's a massive book. It's huge, but I've read parts of it. It's a very very good didn't hit the write a book? Yeah, mind comp I've not read that. I don't need to. I don't think a lot of people need to read it, but I do know. But I do think it's fascinating under And here's the thing is, don't get me wrong. I think it's important that it's still out there. And this is what because I think it's important that we It does help you dive into his psychology, his thoughts, and a lot of what he did and why he did it is there so you can kind of see, like, hey, man, like he literally said it out loud. He might not said he was going to kill millions of Jews like said it in those words, but he did. It's not hard to, you know, connect the dots.
Speaker 2: No, I mean when you see his pathway as a collective whole. First off, Unfortunately and sadly, it didn't take long. This wasn't over decades and decades and decades of small like speeches that it gave desensitizing people to an entire group of other humans. It happened very quickly. But it is fascinating. It's not the good world. It is an interesting psychology somewhere in our human because it's another first time that this happens, and I doubt it'll be the last time it happens that you are able to get an entire species of human beings, because that's we are.
Speaker 1: We are species to hate.
Speaker 2: Another group of human beings to the point where you devalue their life to be next to nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's what I have found terrifying. I have found very fascinating. It's how like I read the book. I just finished it not too long ago, and now I can't think of Well.
Speaker 2: There's the museum. There's a museum of Jewish history down in Tucson. I would highly recommend anybody go so, but they have a very like it's not small, it's very impactful area of that it's about Jewish history in the city of Tucson, which is quite amazing and beautiful. But then the second part of it is about the Holocaust and the history of that, and they talk about the process of genocide and where it starts and how you there's like ten steps of it or something that we've broken down into a scientific formula of how you can do it. And it's terrifying to see it broken down into steps, because in the animal Kingdom you rarely see other than the need for food and for reduction, you don't see an entire group turn on each other simply out of a disagreeance on something like faith or political standing or orders or anything at all like along those lines. And yet it is a pattern and a repeat in history that we see over and over again, and Hitler was able to use that. I did see a very fascinating documentary on the History Channel though about Hitler, well, that he didn't actually really take his own life.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not getting into that finding Hitler. No, I refuse is that not. The worst thing is that was one of the worst things I ever watched. And I didn't even finish things. I didn't even fit. I think we only got like three episodes in and I realized.
Speaker 2: Because it's so factually incorrect, and nothing happens it is and it's people just and you guys, I am a big conspiracy theory person, and.
Speaker 1: This was it's just people making up, like taking the smallest thing and making the largest assumption. No, Hitler was a coward.
Speaker 2: He took his own life within the basement. He also had a micropene. He was also a vegan and was also a major drug addict. Like his life sucked, Yeah, I was. He died in a bunker, like smelling his own farts in bo but escalated well because he was like everyone in that bunker was like on major uppers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean disgusting. Yeah. So, like I just read that book Ordinary Man is what it's called, and it is fascinating because it kind of dives into like this one police this one police force that committed a lot of atrocities and what kind of we don't understand why really, So I thought it was fascinating. Anyways, that's pretty much Elio on Hitler.
Speaker 2: The fact that Hitler's bunker today is a parking lot, now good.
Speaker 1: And here's the thing. I think I've said this before on this podcast.
Speaker 2: There is a part of me that thinks, dang from a point of preserving history and seeking understanding, that would make a fascinating museum. But the people in that town in Germany said that the concern was that people would use it as a shrine and as someone who was like, there's no freaking way that that would happen, as in my childhood thinking no one would ever idolize Hitler. There are still psychopaths to this day that do. They could not preserve it into some sort of learning place, a memorial or a memorial for the terrible things that happened, not for the man that did it.
Speaker 1: That it is now literally a.
Speaker 2: Gravel trashed parking lot, and I can't think of a better place for Hitler's final resting place to just be.
Speaker 1: It could be like a dump.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's probably better, But.
Speaker 1: I'm fine with that. I'm not complaining.
Speaker 2: I'm not complaining it into a partner, all right. The second person that they talked to us.
Speaker 1: About Saddam Hussein.
Speaker 2: Ben and I, this is actually a part of our childhood. We got to learn this history.
Speaker 1: So we dive into Saddam. He grew up poor, without running water and electricity. He was beaten by his stepfather. He didn't go to school, so you know, he had a rough upbringing, and then he went on to become part of politics. He manipulated his way into power. And they tell us have all these psychologists that they tell us he learned along the way that violence was the key to power. Okay, they just kind of throw that statement out there, Okay, I believe you, all right. During the sixties and seventies, Hussein tortured and killed his rivals, and he murdered thousands of people by nineteen seventy nine. Robert Stack says he had instilled so much fear in the people that he gained the presidency just by asking for it. I did look up, like I guess he was vice president at the time. So it's not like he was just this guy out committing terror and walked into the Capitol and said, hey, I want to be president. Not that that makes it any better, but all right, and so and then he gains power, he becomes president. Within days of him becoming president, he holds a meeting and says, anyone that disagrees with me, he might not have said it this way. He then just charges his political rivals with treason so that he can imprison him and kill him. So then we get told like, this guy, clearly, this guy, he's kind of a he's a doctor PhD guy. He is an expert on Saddam. He tells us of like, so, Saddam had invaded Iran in the eighties and it wasn't going well. So they had a meeting and he was saying, listen, what do we need to do. How can we turn this around? And they're like, no, thing's going great, you know, because everyone's afraid of him. And he's like, no, I want your like candid, truthful answers. So one of his ministers says, hey, listen, they want you to step down. Why don't you just step down for a little bit. Let us get this piece figured out, and then we'll just put you right back in power. After and he thanks him for his candidness and thank you for your honest and then arrests him. His wife comes to Saddama says, please please release my husband. He wasn't doing anything, he was just trying to do what's right. And he's like, fine, I will and he sends his body chumped up in a bunch of pieces in a black bag to his wife. So not a good person. Ah, then we find out what else did he do in our lifetime? And you know very well because your dad served in the war. He invaded Kuwait and started Desert Storm, So yep, Papa.
Speaker 2: How served in Desert Storm as a CB yep yep.
Speaker 1: And you know they obviously lost Desert Storm and non promise that he would terminate his chemical and nuclear program and the UN pretty much said no, he lied about that. So he's a liar and narcissist. Yeah, So this was my quote. This kind of goes into both of them. We get that PhD guy and he says, I'm sorry of If one were to strip world leaders and politicians of narcissistic characters, the ranks would be perishly thinned. We must, we must always be alert to that fusion between that personal drive for power unconstrained by conscience when it meets a wounded population, which you know at that time, like especially Germany, Right, they were a very wounded population.
Speaker 2: Germany was right off the cusp of World War One.
Speaker 1: Correct, Yeah, they were in were not great, bad shape. Economics someone to blame when it meets a wounded population that has the repetitive, repetitively over history led to some of the most violent episodes that have scarred our planet. And that is still I thought that was a good day. Yeah, I thought. That's why I wrote this Scorde down because even in nineteen ninety one when this episode aired, I still think that that statement is true. Like, obviously we all know anyone that doesn't think that pretty much, any politician is not a narcissist. Term limits, you guys, Yeah, and I'm sorry any politician on both sides. I know if you guys saw a political podcast, I'm not getting into politics.
Speaker 2: Limits because every person on every side at this moment, and maybe not everyone, I would say ninety eight percent of them are selfish, narcissistic, psychopathic, self serving, terrible human beings.
Speaker 1: They're not good people. That's what I'm saying. Anyone that thinks that politicians are not narcissists, crazy, do not put your faith in I'm not saying politicians are murderers. That's not what I'm saying. I'm not saying all politicians. Not allicians. Politicians are Adolf Hitler or Saddam Hussein.
Speaker 2: No, And in fact, I actually think it's very disrespectful to say that. Absolutely, and I know that's been a term thrown around again.
Speaker 1: We're not a political podcast.
Speaker 2: I think it's very disrespectful to the six million people that experienced what they did with Adolf Hitler to compare politicians to that. However, to not first off, just no politician is a savior. No politician is going to fix everything, and they're all untrustworthy. And we have to be aware as human beings no matter where we are at in the world, that whoever is trying to lead our country likely.
Speaker 1: Is someone who.
Speaker 2: Could be diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder or psychopathic tendencies.
Speaker 1: And I'm not gonna say they're all I've got a diabolical mind. I'm just saying, like, guess, as politicians, not just all over the country, all over not the country, the world, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So I told Ben the other day I was going to run for State Senate, and my only campaign that I was going to run on was that everyone else is untrustworthy.
Speaker 1: All I have to say you got to come with receipts, though, you got to be able to I could find receipts, yeah, I believe you could. You just you got to come with them.
Speaker 2: But I think that could That's the one fact that no matter what side of the aisle you were on, everyone is over. I want everything flushed out. And again not political, but term limits I feel like is not going to fix everything, but it could.
Speaker 1: Help a little bit. Yeah. Anyways, uh So Robert Stack comes back and it's like he said, I thought. He kind of says, most, you know politicians, We see these people, they rise to power, they do all these terrible things, and he goes, many politicians die in the flames. They help at nite, especially like we saw that with Adolf Hitler. Right, beautiful quote by Roberts Dacks. But he says some did not like he quotes one or he names one. I actually didn't know who it was. I didn't look it up. He says, like he stepped down and lived his life in exile. I don't know who that was. I'd have to look it up. And that he goes, but Adolf Hitler died in the flames he ignited, and then he says, we'll have to see with Saddam Hussein, I.
Speaker 2: Will say, I like, this is the one thing, not the one thing. There's been a couple of updates that unsolved mysteries hasn't given us and Robert Stax once he says, we'll have to see what happens with Saddam who's sing. Yeah, And for whatever reason, they have not updated.
Speaker 1: So Ben, what is our up up date? Are you ready for your update? I'm ready for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Saddam Hussein is dead. He has passed away. He has been taken out.
Speaker 2: He has been removed as many many of us probably know happening.
Speaker 1: But if you don't know, uh, the United States invaded Iraq and marched I think on March twentieth, two thousand and three. I remember that. I remember it specifically.
Speaker 2: I remember it very well because we were seniors in high was a senior in high school, and I think a lot of us were paying attention because there was talks about the draft coming back.
Speaker 1: Well, we were already in Afghanistan at the time, and I remember the clasp of nine to eleven. I remember very well because Bush not just like randomly invaded. He told him we're coming if you don't do this. He said they had weapons of mass destruction and we're coming if you don't and pretty much kind of gave him a timeline if you don't do it by this time, and then he did it came. I remember watching it on TV in the evening when we started. I do too shooting.
Speaker 2: And I remember because I my freshman year of high school.
Speaker 1: I the end of my freshman year.
Speaker 2: The summer after my freshman year, I had a boyfriend who had joined the military. He had graduated, and it was a very like baby summer fling that was like so cute and innocent because I wasn't even allowed to quote unquote go on dates with him. But he had joined the military his senior year and my freshman year, which had been in the year two thousand so before all of this happened. So I remember in three for the first time outside of like my father had obviously been in Desert Storm, my grandfather had also been in the military. This was someone close to my age who I knew, who wasn't just like an older person in my life was likely going to be going overseas to fight a war, and that being really close to home for me. And I also remember waiting to see these weapons of mass destruction found which dot dot dot they never were. But I do remember the hunt for Saddam, who sang.
Speaker 1: So yep so we invaded and we captured Saddam on December captured just like they say, ontured December thirteenth, two thousand and three. Actually got them pretty quickly. Yeah, I actually had double check that. That seems really cool. I double checked it. It was quick. Yeah, it was almost within a year we found.
Speaker 2: Because we evaded and invaded in March and then by the end of the year he was captured. Okay, because you actually have kind of a connection story to this, are you going to share that.
Speaker 1: Loosely? Can you share it? I will be very very loose Okay. I lived in Indiana several years after this and met a man, great guy. He showed me pictures of him pulling Saddam's Who's saying out of his tunnel. Yep, good man.
Speaker 2: So he would have likely been like Black Ops or Seal he was.
Speaker 1: He was Special Forces Forces, but also then a contractor. Oh. I don't know if he was a contractor at the time.
Speaker 2: After his military service went into private contractor work.
Speaker 1: I think he didn't get into a lot of his.
Speaker 2: I'm sure he didn't, but I love that he showed you those pictures though.
Speaker 1: It was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially because you were what nineteen, twenty years old when you're seeing one at the time, and that's the thing you had just had that lived experience of US invading.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I was in high school at the time, so yeah. So yeah, it was cool. But he then was turned over to the people of Iraq and he was convicted in November of two thousand and six and then hanged nearly two.
Speaker 2: Thousand and six. It was three years later. I didn't realize it took that long. Well, I think I'm getting it mixed up with Osama bin Laden.
Speaker 1: We killed Osama, yeah, we shot him. Yeah, and then and that was two eleven. Yeah, I think it was twenty and eleven. So it was during Obama's I was going to say that wasn't under Bush, that was under Obama. Yeah. So he was convicted November fifth, two thousand and six, and then he was executed by hanging December thirtieth of two thousand and six. So they waited less than two months and they hanged him.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They do it quicker in other countries here. So he's dead.
Speaker 2: And I will say this, I don't know if this is true, but rumor has it that when you're hung, you pee yourself and I just think if you are a terrible world leader and that is how you go out in the most undignified way, you probably deserved what you got. Because he wasn't just a terrible person to the rest of the world, who was also a terrible people to his own people.
Speaker 1: Well he was. It is rumored that he killed like a quarter of a million people, up to three hundred thousand people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that we don't know that about video of him like calling people out in that forum, that group meeting. It was arrested time they're taken out and executed on the spot. There's something about watching that that you just feel sick to your stomach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was. He was a tyrant and a mass murderer. So he deserved to be hanged, and he deserves not to be anymore. So Okay, I'm glad his people got to do that. All right, guys.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to read a couple of our reviews that we've gotten lately to encourage you all to leave a review. Pick a fun name. You can leave it in Apple podcasts or comment on Spotify something fun with a five star review or a fun, uplifting positive comment, and I will read it here for everyone to hear. And then we're going to end this episode and part two of season four, episode twenty three of Unsolved Mysteries, Into the Diabolical Mind or whatever it's called, actually goes into a case of a female that does some pretty terrible things. We have an interview with a man who is likely diagnosed as a psychopath, as well as an actual Unsolved Mystery case. So make sure to come next week for episode two. And I am going to read you so this This review comes from someone named Cha. So the title of review reads, so good quote the show I did not know I was missing and needed.
Speaker 1: I love it so much. Thank you cha.
Speaker 2: The next episode the next review, I'm actually going to read it even though it's only a four star review and not a five star review, because I'm hoping that we can win this person back over. So the review comes from someone named quit legal w H I T T L E G oh it so wit legit wit legit. I love you, and I hope that you'll reconsider our review. So the podcast title or the review title says good and it is four out of five stars. Really good material with updates on old Unsolved Mysteries. Just need to come. Just need to cut out some of the ADHD chit chat that goes off the rails and they sometimes interrupt each other and go off on tangents. You are correct, we do do that, and I'm sorry, but that is just if you were sitting hanging out and talking with me and Ben, that is what would happen. But the stories presented are really interesting. You guys are doing a great job. Amazing idea for a podcast, good material. Just try to tell the story more and trim the fat sort of speak. I feel like we've trimmed some of the fats and.
Speaker 1: Calling us fat. Hopefully they're.
Speaker 2: To us listening to us and they haven't given up. So if that review, I am so sorry. We have actually try to cut some of the ADHD chit chat down, but there are some episodes that are better than the others.
Speaker 1: All right, last one.
Speaker 2: I'm grateful for the forced I'm grateful for the four stars too, but I would love you even more. Drop us a five star. You don't even have to update your thing five stars. Send me a DM and I'll send you some stickers in the mail.
Speaker 1: All right. The title of the review.
Speaker 2: Says love it, and this is from don't sign up nine nine nine and all it reads of the body of the review is can't get enough.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: Okay, So if you guys haven't already, please leave us a five star reading a review wherever you listen to your podcast or comment in the comment section below on Spotify, and I will read it out loud.
Speaker 1: So we can all hear it. All right.
Speaker 2: For the people that don't like the chitty chat or silly, funny question time with Ben, now is your time to leave. And for the rest of us Ben instead of an actual question today, I wrote down a few Actually got this idea from one of my favorite podcasts, which is the history podcast The Old Timy Podcast with Norman Caruso and Kristen Pitts Caruso. They did this on one of their chitty chat times and I thought this was fun and I wanted to ask you the same questions. Do you know what the slang word chopped means?
Speaker 1: Chopped m M, it's a It's.
Speaker 2: Really a word that is being used now in slang, chopped.
Speaker 1: Do you know what it means? I can honestly say, you just what make a guess chopped up that that don't track that don't track. Sure, okay, am I right? And no, not even a little bit.
Speaker 2: So chop means quote being unattractive or undesirable can sometimes also refer to getting hung out to dry. So I got in a sentence for you quote, I'm having such a bad hair day.
Speaker 1: I'm so chopped. Well, I'm chopped, you're chopped. I am a chopped guy. All right, you're ready for your next one? Yeah? Caught in four K? What? M hm? Caught? Been caught in four K? I mean, I'm gonna guess like you've been caught in the act. All right, I'll give that to you. But I have never heard this.
Speaker 2: Okay, someone that's been caught in the act usually online with some sort of proof or quote. Having the receipts receipts, Okay.
Speaker 1: Receipts is also kind. I think I used that. I think I used receipts in this episode. Very good callback. Yeah, that's so good.
Speaker 2: If I'm going to run for political office, I have to have.
Speaker 1: I forgot where I brought that up.
Speaker 2: But all right, this one, I will be shocked if you know what this one is.
Speaker 1: Glazing glazing m hmmm. Uh, I'm going to guess you're like you're fluffing the story, like because glazing is like you're you're putting something over Like me. I think I'm a glazed donut because I love a donut, and glazing means you're you're not telling the whole truth or you're exaggerating. I'll give that one to you. Round them fluff, dude. I am so good at this. I've never heard this either.
Speaker 2: Hype somebody or something up.
Speaker 1: You're glazing. That's a pretty easy one to put together. I will actually tell you what I've never heard that. I did not.
Speaker 2: I could not figure out what they were talking about. So I'm the old person in this one. Yeah, you got it.
Speaker 1: Well that's because you weren't thinking of a glaze.
Speaker 2: I wasn't thinking of a clays dot. You are correct, all right, left on red, left on red? Okay, So if you turn left on a red, because here's the thing, you're allowed to turn right on a red or red light. If you do left on a red, that means you're in the wrong. So in that world, so you you're wrong, or you you cut people off, you you did something wrong.
Speaker 1: Come on, so.
Speaker 2: Left on red in all fairness is l E F T on r E E D left on red, which means that you.
Speaker 1: Text somebody they saw it, you didn't, you got it. You have to give me if it come on you. I actually love that you went where you did.
Speaker 2: I did not even think about until I said that out loud, because in the English language left and read are spelled two different.
Speaker 1: Ways and have word how is left have spelled again.
Speaker 2: In this I guess L E F T. So you're still left on red. But but you're either burning left or whether you've just left somebody. Okay, yeah, left on red.
Speaker 1: It just means you didn't answer back.
Speaker 2: It means and they saw that you did it, and you were like, man, not worth my time to risk.
Speaker 1: This is why you don't put that you read text messages.
Speaker 2: Ben has his receipts, has turned his red seeds off.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing and here's the other thing.
Speaker 2: I also know that my husband I watch on his wrist that texts that buzzes.
Speaker 1: When I intentionally.
Speaker 2: There are multiple times that I've texted me and said, I know you know I'm texting you.
Speaker 1: I know that you can see this, Okay, but in all fairness, I work, you work in the middle of nowhere. Yes, I don't have a lot of cellf service where I work. That is true, but I also turn that off because I intentionally do not text people back.
Speaker 2: I know you don't. You like to leave people on red. I do, which means you made the wrong You turned left on red when you weren't supposed to.
Speaker 1: I'm fine with that. In the wrong. I'm fine with that. All right, let's go.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's going to be the new slang. Left on red means you're in the wrong. I'm starting it, you're starting it. Okay, this one's pretty easy. I think you'll get this one. This will be the last one for today. Slaps, slaps h Do you want me to spell it for you?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 2: S l a ps slaps, I don't know.
Speaker 1: You insulted me? Oh, I mean slap? Make Will Smith move sort of thing? Yeah, Will Smith? Who was it? Chris Rock? Chris Rock?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Slaps I mean because in the medieval days, if you wanted to duel someone, you them.
Speaker 2: That is true with your glove. So it's a sign of aggression, an insult. Am I right, No, it's actually opposite. When something's really great. That new song slaps, that's the way you look in them wranglers slaps.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't say this, those cheeks slap.
Speaker 2: No, you cannot say that. That's a very different term, Benjamin David. But yeah, okay, so.
Speaker 1: You got I mean you, how many did we do? One, two, three, four? We did five? And I got two out of the five? Right?
Speaker 2: You got caught in four K and glazing? Correct, you missed chopped left on red and slaps? All right, all right, okay guys, well.
Speaker 1: Those cheeks slapped, those cheek slap.
Speaker 2: Make sure to join us again here next week when Ben and I bring you the second half of a Diabolical Mind.
Speaker 1: Now are we still on this freaking Episode three of Console Mysteries.
Speaker 2: Bye,