Speaker 1: All right, good Monday morning, Kentucky Anda. Welcome into Kentuckyana's morning news here on news Radio eight forty whas five six on a Monday.
Speaker 2: As we get the week started, Nick Coffee with you.
Speaker 1: We've got Scott Fitzgerald alongside John Alden as well as John Shannon. Your first update on traffic and weather coming up here in roughly four minutes. We'll also have news coming your way with John Shannon around five thirty, and a lot of things we'll get into throughout the morning here. I know Scott's looking forward to his first sports update.
Speaker 2: I don't, I don't, I don't know. Do you take requests?
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, just because you know, I'd love to talk some moiv of baseball early on, because how about that right back in the College World Series for day McDonald and his club, And this one's got to feel better than maybe most of them. I'm sure they all feel great when you punch the ticket and you've made it to Omaha, but this one been a while since they've been there, and certainly not a lot of momentum as they entered the postseason.
Speaker 2: But here they are.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Interesting presser with coach McDonnell yesterday, a lot of inward reflection the coach on a number of levels, to include throwing in a religious reference as well. I mean, this is this is pretty spiritual to the coach, to your.
Speaker 1: Pott, he's very outspoken on his faith, and he was not at all bashful to acknowledge that that he had to lean. He had to lean a lot on his faith throughout the last I guess. I mean that's really just that's a big part of who he is. But obviously things in the last i don't know four years roughly for the program were not anywhere near as successful as prior to that. That happens, but yeah, I mean to bounce back and show that you can still still get it done at a high level. Really, when college athletics has changed for everybody in a dramatic way. The landscape is much different now than it was just a few years ago. And the new world of college athletics nil, all that stuff is just created a fresh set of challenges for programs that are not big revenue producers like baseball. And even with those new challenges here they are they're making it so good stuff. I'm sure we'll also talk about last night's game two of the NBA Finals and some other things we'll get into this morning. Coming up around five forty five, we'll have our chat with Rory O'Neal of NBC News. He'll give us the latest on the protest going on in Los Angeles as obviously there's many there are that are fighting ICE as they're trying to track down on immigration, and that of course will be a continued talking point as they're still going on as we speak. Also, a former Louisville basketball player, Louisville legend Russ Smith, was arrested over the weekend for DUI, and obviously will that will be something we discussed this morning because the details are now out and it's one of those things where I got to say, just reading the details yesterday and even more so this morning, you can't make this stuff up. Just as far as the connection where the officer that that really it was his discretion to charge Russ or not, because he was actually below the legal limit. So that officer deciding to do that and arrest him for DUI is also the same officer who took Scottie Scheffler to jail after he was arrested right before team off in the PGA Championship. Again, it's one of those things where you just think, well, you can't make this stuff up. So we'll get into that end. This is something that I do want to spend some time on at some point, because I know college athletics has been hard to keep up with in recent years with nobody really knowing are there any rules? Does the NCAA still exist, because it seems like a complete free for all. Players can transfer anytime as many times as they want. Players can now get paid money through NIL. Well, there was a big piece of news that took that dropped on Friday, really was the It had been followed for a long time, but the house settlement is now complete, and I just want to give folks the basics as far as what this means when it comes to college sports. We of course are a big college sports market around here. I mean the local teams kind of are our pro teams. So it's still going to be a mess, I believe, but this is at least a starting point as far as some level of rules, guidelines, guard rails that everybody has to follow. So we are loaded this morning as we help you get the week started here at news Radio eight forty w h as week two for me, and I do want to apologize to you guys. I didn't I didn't want to sound like a stoner to both of you this morning when I when I requested upon their arrival at work today, do you guys.
Speaker 2: Have any eye drops? Oh?
Speaker 4: Dude, it does it? It looks worse than when you see Nicky. You got to tell everybody you don't have pink as you just put a sign on this. I don't have pink, guy, Yes I have.
Speaker 1: I've got allergies and I got to figure something out. I got, I mean, and I'm sure maybe there's other there's some folks out there that can give me some tips as far as how to handle it, because I take like a daily allergy pill and it's not working. But my weekend up up north probably didn't help because I didn't realize. Yeah, when you go north near Lake Michigan, near Chicago, they're probably seeing the effects of these Canadian wildfires a little bit more than we are. And I'm going to blame that on my eyeballs just being completely bloodshot. It's that and nothing else. I promise I'm not a stoner that was just needing some eye drops to be a little bit more discreet about it, but we've got your first update of trafficking weather right now. It's Kentucky and it's morning news here on news RADIOA forty whas. It's five point fifteen here at Kentucky and it's morning news on news RADIOA forty whas. Happy Monday morning, everybody. So I looked this up just to make sure I wasn't crazy. But the Ohio Valley region, of course, including Louisville, Kentucky, is widely regarded as one of the worst areas in the United States for seasonal allergies. And I'd always heard that because I've lived here my whole life, and I believe I was sympathetic.
Speaker 2: For those that dealt with allergies, but.
Speaker 1: Maybe I wasn't. I think I would just think, Oh, I'm really sorry you're dealing with that. Hope it gets better, but I can't relate. I didn't say that that last part out loud, but I think that's how I was feeling.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Now, after I guess roughly thirty thirty four thirty five years of being able to not deal with these outsies that a lot of people deal with, they have hit me because in recent years, I've realized I've got to I got to medicate myself, and I ask people.
Speaker 2: Hey, do you have allergies? Do you have allergies?
Speaker 1: And a lot of people now are like, well, I mean sometimes, well, I think now I know if you deal I feel like, if you're somebody that deals with it, to it to the extent of where you need to take something every day or you're going to be miserable like I am right now in my eyeballs.
Speaker 2: That's the level of like, okay it.
Speaker 1: Not to say that you can't defeat it, but if you were taking something daily, doesn't that mean that like it's it's it's something that you.
Speaker 2: Got to deal with moving forward. It doesn't just go away.
Speaker 1: I don't know how I became somebody that deals with this now after not having it for so long, But I've got to. I got to figure something ot because I take a pill in the evening that is the I guess, the typical pill, and then I take one in the morning that's the non drowsy, and I mix in some eyedrops and I'm still getting my rear end.
Speaker 2: Kicked by these allergies. So I got to figure something out.
Speaker 4: Now, I wonder if your body changes accordingly to what happens, you know, certain changes take place in your Body's a good question for me an allergist. But yeah, it's it's crazy. I was telling you off the air. When I get around my brother's Golden Retrievers, it's kryptonite for me. My throat locks up, my eyes look like yours. And it's the only dog. It's well, there are some other dogs, but it's not as about we have basset Hounds growing up. They're short haired dogs.
Speaker 1: Well, it's funny you mentioned it's the only type of dog, because I mean, it's not like I'm going door to door asking residents.
Speaker 2: Hey, do you have allergies?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: How bad do you have them? What do you use to do to treat it?
Speaker 1: Because I got to figure something out. But when I do it, you know, when I ask people do you have allergies, it's either yell not not too bad, or they'll mention something specific that does trigger it.
Speaker 2: And Golden Retrievers.
Speaker 1: Are the exact dog that my buddy had mentioned the same thing where it's just it's one of those things. When I'm around them, it's going to be an issue to or I'm sneezing, rubbing my eyes, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: So did you do you remember a time when we were kids, you know, maybe we had the allergies and we just kind of either dismissed them as a cold because I feel it when I feel certain grasses.
Speaker 1: I tell you what I remember as a kid, hearing about allergies and just assuming that it meant like you could, like food allergies, like there's certain things you can't and can't eat, because I couldn't relate, like I never there was never any moment where I the weather changed. I mean, I knew what pollen was, but like I felt so non impacted by it that I guess I never really thought about it a whole lot until you realize something's off here, something's going wrong. And I remember, I guess it was a couple of summers ago. Was right around the time that I started to think, okay, like this isn't some kind of a head cold. I don't think I have something in my eyeball. Something's going on here. And my wife was like, yeah, duf, is you have allergies now? Like this is and and I realized she's been dealing. I mean, she's she's been dealing with it her whole life to where she's I mean, it's it's a it's I would I would classify her as someone who has severe allergies to where she's really got to stay on top of making sure she's got the right medicine and whatnot, because if not, it's gonna be rough. And again, I felt like I was sympathetic, but I don't know if I truly was until now I realize what she's what she's going through, and now she's all over me about the meds. Mostly, I would assume because she cares about me and wants me to be, you know, not dealing with it. But I think the root of it is that she doesn't want to hear me sniffling and coughing and packing up a lung. She's like, well, did you take your medicine today?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well no, I probably should have.
Speaker 4: Your kids have allergies?
Speaker 2: Not yet yeah, not yet, but interesting. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now I want to apologize to all of those that I was not sympathetic towards when they would describe the allergies and how bad they are kicking their ear in because now either I'm just really soft, or maybe I'm now dealing with the same things that you guys were. But anyways, I'll fight through you. With you, with your all's help, we can get through this. Are we got sports coming up. We've also got another update of trafficking weather coming your way right here on Kentucky and his Morning News. Thank you, John at is five thirty five here at Kentucky and his Morning News on News Radio eight forty Whas. I was more amused by this than I probably should have been. But the zebra named ed the pet zebra ed from Tennessee. Well he's not from Tennessee, but he escaped in Tennessee on May thirty first, and he was on the run for a week. He had a week long escape. Hopefully he enjoyed himself. But they did actually capture him, which is a good thing. Obviously, it's not a safe situation for probably both sides, the longer he's out there on the run. But I tell you what, some of the some of the pictures and video clips of those who spotted the zebra just going for a jog on the interstate, casually walking through a residential neighborhood. I mean, if you'd told me it was AI created, I would have believed you because it's not something that you typically see. But for those who missed this story, he arrived in Tennessee from a Texas breeder, and as soon as they tried to get situated in his new home in Tennessee, he was I guess unhappy with the conditions and he ran. He ended up on the highways. As I mentioned, he was in neighborhoods. But they used it was a drone assisted capture and helicopter. They airlifted the zebra, making a It was a very rare, rare thing to see. But you could tell they've they've got a plan when these kind of things happened to where they were able to harness the zebra and do the airlift. And it looks as if you know the picture I'm looking at here at NBC News, he's just chilling. He's he's kind of he's wrapped up in this thing. Doesn't look to be in any pain. He looks comfortable, and he's probably if I could read his mind, I would say, yeah, it was nice while it lasted, But now I guess I'm going back to, you know, being domesticated.
Speaker 4: But a question, does he sound like Chris Rock and Marty and Mattieascar that.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was, I was thinking that would be the voice, especially with you know, him having a sense of humor clearly just running around, and you know, he didn't look like some animals I would imagine, Not that I'm an expert by any means that if an animal is in an area in a situation I guess is the better way to describe it that is so different than what they're used to, Rather be at a zoo or where they're from naturally and their habitat you know, you can sense that they're uncomfortable and they just look a little on edge and guard up. But this zebra, anytime he was spotted, he looked like he was chilling, like he was just having a good time.
Speaker 4: What do we ever figure out out what brought the zebra?
Speaker 1: So? Yeah, neighborhood, yes, so so. Tennessee has a lack of strict exotic pet laws. Unlike most states, there's many states that have bands. Tennessee is one of the rare states that technically, if you go about it a certain way, I suppose, with permits and whatnot, you can own a pet zebra. Why you would want to own a pet zebra? I don't know, but so far I guess this this whoever this individual is that purchased the zebra from the breeder in Texas. Maybe it wouldn't be shocked if they decid Yeah, we tried, it didn't work out. Let's see if we can re home this zebra, maybe to a zoo or maybe. I'm sure if he really wanted to find a new home for the zebra, he could. But yeah, I mean I can't. I can't imagine what would make somebody want to have a pet zebra. But you know that's just me.
Speaker 4: He makes you wonder how many people in our own backyard have exotic pets that we don't know about that they're keeping.
Speaker 1: Well, Geah, I think what you just asked was the real question is that how you know a lot of people were like, wait a second, what's a zebra even doing? As it's a pet, Like how would you even go about it? And you can And you know, I'm sure this whole story led to people realizing if I ever, you know, maybe there are people out there that are thinking, I'd always I've always wanted to own a zebra. Maybe I'll get a rhinoceros as well. Maybe now Tennessee's on the map was the place to go to. You know, have exotic animals as pets, I mean cats, dogs, those are the most common. People have fish in their fish tank at home, like zebra is an extreme.
Speaker 2: Type of pet, right.
Speaker 1: There's always that way snakes of course with your pets, but you know are still rare.
Speaker 4: Well, there's that one person what we see walking down the street with that big old snake in the neck, you know, just going I can do this because you don't like snakes, do you?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: How could you tell? I'm squirming over here just mentioning snake?
Speaker 2: Are you? Are you scared of snakes?
Speaker 4: John? You know, I've never really been around somebody who's doing what you're all talking about with the snake around the neck, but I'm pretty sure I would have a similar reaction with you.
Speaker 1: All right, So so let me answer it. Let me let me let me direct that a little bit better.
Speaker 2: If I had a.
Speaker 1: Pet snake around my around my neck right now, and I'm like, hey, John, I want to introduce you to my new pet. I'm gonna come in the studio.
Speaker 2: You know, thank you?
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, so you're not scared of him because you haven't had the encounter yet. I guess that's the same thing with me. But if you tell me, hey, let's go play with snakes, I'm going to decline the offer, say thank you for the invite. So yeah, Ed has been captured and he had a nice run. We've got another update of trafficking weather coming your way right now. Also a conversation coming up here about five minutes with Rory O'Neal of NBC News. We'll get the latest on the protest going on in LA as. The immigration is still they're trying to crack down as best as they can, but obviously a lot of pushbacks so far from some folks in LA. So we'll get to that and more again. Your next update of trafficking weathers right now on news radio A forty whas. It's five forty five here Kentucky. This Morning News on News RADIOA forty whas. Let's bring in royo Nail of NBC News. Rory, what's the latest on the protest going on in Los Angeles. Obviously the immigration raids have created quite a situation there in LA.
Speaker 3: In LA and in San Francisco as well, where we saw about sixty protesters arrested yesterday. I know all the footage is there in LA with thousands of people on overpasses, gemming up the highways, setting fire to those robo taxis. But yes, there is a lot of unrest in California over the enforcement operations by ICE ordered under the Trump administration. And what we saw in LA yesterday was also the presence of federalized National Guard troops also complicated things. The governor and the mayor of Los Angeles have both said that the situation has been made worse by President Trump's decision to federalize the National Guard and to deploy them around the federal buildings there in LA. But President Trump says that the governor and the mayor have failed the citizens and he's got to step in to protect the people and property.
Speaker 1: That was actually going to be my next question. Clearly, Governor Newsom, Mayor Baths have been pretty outspoken about not necessarily agree with the way President Trump has gone about this with the National Guard, But do.
Speaker 2: We get it?
Speaker 1: Do we have a feel for what the citizens of these areas think. Obviously from a political side, I think we know the different sides here, but is there is there a way to really know, just those who live and reside in the area. Obviously, some have made how they feel pretty clear about going on and participating in these protests. But what has been the reaction locally from from clearly this crackdown and they're trying to I mean, they're trying to follow through the immigration agenda.
Speaker 3: Well, look, as we've heard from the governor and the mayor, these ice raids have caused a lot of anxiety in a community or across the state which has a very high migrant community percentage, and you know, lots of fear about who might be getting sent back or deported from the US. So they say that anxiety is fueling a lot of these demonstrations. And look, you know, yes it was. The footage is compelling to watch, but this has not been all encompassing. This has taken over a couple of blocks today. It was the work of it. You know, Let's see what happens on a Monday when people actually have to go back to work, and let's see if things do go back to normal quote well normal for LA but you know, let's see how much of these protests start to die down. The issue too is, you know, what is the resolution here? Right for the protesters, what is going to make them stand down? Because don't expect President Trump and you know, mister Homan or the Secretary of Homeland Security to suddenly turn around and say, Okay, you know, we give up. That's not going to happen. So exactly what it's going to take for some of these protesters to to to back off is also an open question.
Speaker 1: Now, there are claims from activists and the ACLU that that these raids have targeted legal residents, not just those that are undocumented undocumented immigrants. Have you do we know if there's any accuracy to those allegations at all.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that what we hear from the administration is we're going after the baddest and the worst, and the rapists and the child sex predators and this and the that. But I think one of the tipping points was the fact that they had a raid. I think for the people who are trying to get day work outside the home depot, going into elementary schools to try to get children. So they're saying, well, wait a minute, now, we thought you were just going after the worst to the worst, not the people who are maybe here illegally but aren't causing any direct harm to others.
Speaker 1: This is the first time since nineteen sixty five that the National Guard has been federalized without the governor's consent. Based just on this, I mean, there's layers to this story, but doesn't this say a lot as far as the federal state relations. And I guess the broader debate here under with President Trump and just against hearing that this hasn't happened this way since nineteen sixty five. That's also I think a big component of this entire situation, well.
Speaker 3: Right, and that's because, look, the Trump administration has said, we want the states to be able to do more. It's all about states rights. We're going to turn this over to the state, whether it's the abortion law, whether it's how you respond to a natural disaster. Let the states decide, Let the states decide. Let the states decide. But that's not what we're seeing here right where they're putting activated the National Guard. So it may be it's seen as a bit of a disconnect, but you know, the Trump administration says, look, this is has been an invasion, and they say that this has created this emergency situation. They're called you know, the president called the activities an insurrection, which is why he says he is obligated to respond. And you know, it does make more complicated what is typically sort of a natural and I guess it's not natural, but again something not typical, I know, but the often times historically the federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies at all levels all work together under what they call unified command structure, so that it all sort of funnels through one thing. Whereas here the Feds are doing one thing, the state's doing another, the city another. So it's much more complicated when they're trying to coordinate a response that's not coordinated.
Speaker 1: No doubt about it. Clearly you can tell not everyone is aligned here. But Rory, thank you as always for the time.
Speaker 2: Have a good morning.
Speaker 3: Thanks Nick.
Speaker 2: All right, that is Rory O'Neal.
Speaker 1: NBC News always appreciate his time in the conversation as well. We've got an update of trafficking weather coming your way, as well as another update on sports with Scott right here on News Radio eight forty whas