Speaker 1: The UK is one of the richest countries in the world, but one in five are living in poverty.
Speaker 2: Do you have to survive on what you're given and you don't know from one day to the other what you're going to be eating?
Speaker 1: The cost of living crisis is one of the most pressing issues in Britain. For many, it's becoming a matter of survival.
Speaker 3: You're choosing between putting your cooker on to cook a meal or putting your heating on.
Speaker 1: One idea to change that has come from an unlikely corner, a group of millionaires.
Speaker 4: We actually are people who believe that those of us who have be unfortunate should pay more tax because the country needs it.
Speaker 1: They're calling for Britain's new Prime Minister, Andy Burnham to text the rich much more. Could a wealth tax make a real difference to Britain's persistent inequality?
Speaker 5: Right then?
Speaker 2: Who's only going to chop it up some belly pork.
Speaker 1: Julie cooking class on a budget in a community center and Hull in northern England. Most here are struggling financially, so the ingredients need to be cheap. Julie Ndick has relied upon benefits for years today, she's not only a participant, but has volunteered to assist jef Andy Reese. They hope people will take inspiration from today's meal, though they are aware that many here don't cook at all.
Speaker 2: It's a meal that they can afford, and it's balanced for them, and it's just something a bit different.
Speaker 4: It makes you feel a bit special, because when you're not eating right, you're not feeling right.
Speaker 6: And this is the thing for me, is it?
Speaker 3: You have to.
Speaker 1: You have to eat properly.
Speaker 2: Otherwise well, it's just awful.
Speaker 5: The dumb side of it. People cataphord to cook, the catiford to put the ovens on, even if you've gotten of them. Because we came against somebody the other week who couldn't cookie. It didn't have anything to walk when he.
Speaker 1: A freshly prepared meal pork belly and sweet potatoes a rare treat, especially for those who otherwise rely on soup kitchens. Not everyone here is comfortable being filmed. Poverty can carry shame.
Speaker 7: I've kind of rescued it as best I can.
Speaker 1: Tony is willing to talk to us, but doesn't want to give a surname. The class gives him and the others a chance to socialize, to enjoy a shared meal, a rare opportunity for many here.
Speaker 2: We've come to a society now where there's plenty of food, but it's just not given out adequately to those people that really need it.
Speaker 1: Hull once had a flourishing maritime industry, but despite recent investment in its port, it's now one of the most deprived places in with one in five across the UK affected by poverty. The poor have been getting even poorer Since the mid nineteen nineties. The percentage of people living in deep poverty that's those with incomes far below the standard poverty line, has been increasing. They now make up almost half of those living in poverty. The governing Labor Party has changed the benefit system and is on track to lived around half a million children out of poverty, but still the cost of living crisis is ongoing and the poor are hardest hit. Julie Nandick has been unable to work for many years. She's a single mother caring for a daughter who lives with disability. She shops together with a friend and they've watched as food prices have gone through The roof Fresh meat, fruit and vegetables are hard to afford.
Speaker 7: She tells us my benefit for the month is five hundred pound and that is to feed two adults and run a home. At the end of some months, I've got nothing left. It's just so scary and it's so upset into walking shop.
Speaker 1: I'm just going that that not being able to afford the food they like something Stephen Kinsella and his family don't have to worry about. They live in a large house in the southwest of England. Their lunch has come fresh from the local market. The former corporate lawyer made millions as a partner in an international law firm. He's a member of Patriotic Millionaires. The group want wealthy people like themselves to pay more tax if they have over ten million pounds in assets.
Speaker 4: I think there's that consciousness that, having been fortunate, we could easily pay more tax. And to be honest, we're not talking about something that would affect our standard of living at all. I mean the wealth tax we're proposing. You know, people really wouldn't miss it, and we're talking about two percent on your net wealth over ten million pounds to.
Speaker 1: Stephen can tell us. Group estimates that a wealth text could bring in about twenty four billion pounds a year, that's roughly twenty eight billion euros.
Speaker 4: We depend on each other and obviously if you have a lot of people who are really struggling, really unhappy, that's not good for any of us, you know. It's really just not good to live in a society where you can see other people that having a seriously hard time, and yet a bunch of us seem to be completely insulated from that.
Speaker 1: Well, the number of people in deep poverty has been rising, so has the number of rich people. According to the Equality Trust thing Tank, by twenty twenty three, the richest fifty families in the UK held more wealth than half of the UK population. In the mid nineteen nineties, the UK had just eleven billionaires. Now it's over one hundred and fifty. Nowhere in Britain is wealth more conspicuous than in Mayfair, central London. Stephen Kinsella comes here regularly for business and to meet with friends. Not all of them share his enthusiasm for higher taxes.
Speaker 4: I meet with a little bit of surprise for friends. But then when you explain it, if someone has to pay to present wealth tax, bear in mind during the year they can probably make five six seven percent return on their capital. They're still going to be richer at the end of the year than they were at the start of the year. It's not going to make anybody poorer.
Speaker 1: With more money, the millionaires say the state could improve public services, for example, with better housing. Just a few kilometers east of Mayfair's wealth. Lys Haggerston, twenty year old Nisso Sharif, is a newly elected counselor for the local Green Party. Today, together with her colleague, they're checking in on residents of these tower blocks, home to many on lower incomes. For months in winter, residents they've had to shower outside. In London in particular, the cost of housing is a driving force behind poverty.
Speaker 8: I don't think anyone should deserve to be showering outside simply because you know, their waterworks aren't being looked after. I don't think that this building is barely liveable. I think the residents that live inside are just like holding on because of how affordable it is, and you know, if they can't, if they were to move out from her, they have no other option but to move out of London.
Speaker 1: And I'm nice to meet Nissa knows the residence problems well. She grew up in social housing herself, so like the ground.
Speaker 6: Floor, it's always flooding most of the rooms. Neighbors complain that it's this flood in their rooms, stuff like that. We call a council. They'll come and take a look and will take them months years before they come in and fix it. So sometimes we just give up and just get over life.
Speaker 1: The Greens are the only UK party who support to wealth checks. Nissa would like to see more money invested into social health, causing to build more and for maintenance, being.
Speaker 8: Able to take care of problems like this and you know, not putting things to the side because we can't afford it, rather than you know, if there's more money to go into these places, we won't have all these cases constantly building up and building up, and rather we'd be more functioning.
Speaker 1: The Patriotic millionaires want to convince the governing Labor Party to take on their idea. Stephen meets regularly with Simon Over, member of Parliament for his hometown. The Labour Party remains cautious. Some economists warn that wealth texts are difficult to implement without harming the economy.
Speaker 9: We've got to find a balance if we taxed everyone massively, then that would reduce economic growth and that's not good for anyone. So we have to do it in a more sort of clever way, in a structured way. And I do think that actually a wealth tax does fulfill that. Would it make people less entrepreneurial because they think they might lose bit of their money. I don't think it's any evidence of that at all.
Speaker 4: We don't have a wealth tax because they say, well, look, it's clearly.
Speaker 1: Still the government does not want the rids to just leave the country, as it has happened in Sweden for instance. But according to a Patriotic Millionaire's research, the majority of UK millionaires actually support an additional tax for the very richest in society.
Speaker 4: Most people who live here there are many reasons why they're here. You know, their children are going to school here, they have parents here, they have family and friends.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 4: The research we've done shows very few are actually going to leave just in order to avoid a two percent tax on their wealth and of course where they go. You know, lots of other countries have other taxes. We're not very we're not that highly taxed as a country.
Speaker 1: In fact, back in Hull, Julie Ndick is helping out at a local food bank. She wants to be of service. It's a matter of pride for her. She knows the donations are a lifeline for many regulars here.
Speaker 3: Everybody's a paycheck away from a disaster, so if something goes wrong, like if you're washing machine brakes, it's a hard struggle to try and get another one.
Speaker 1: Tony from the cooking class has agreed to show us where he currently lives. He used to work as a manager and a youth center, he tells us. Faced with mental health problems, he's been unable to live alone for several years now. He's staying with a friend in a small house at night, has so far becomes a cramped bad for him. Tony can't understand why people would be resistant to paying more if they could afford it.
Speaker 2: Why are people so greedy? Why do they need all this money? They're never going to spend it, you know, Why can't they do something that give back? And the taxes will be an ideal thing. If people have adequate to live a fantastic knife but yet still being able to pay something better in taxes, that will improve the quality of life for those people that are on the scrap heap.
Speaker 1: Stephen and the patriotic millionaires argue it would be important for everyone who's eligible to pay the wealth tax, ensuring it becomes more than just a donation to the state from a handful of well wish and rich people.
Speaker 4: I'm sure I could ask them for a bank account that could voluntarily make a transfer, and that would make me feel a little bit better, but it wouldn't answer the problem that we have. Whereas the wealth tax proposal, you know, the research we've had done shows it would raise about twenty four billion pounds a year, and that's a serious amount of money that this country could use to go into a whole range of essential services.
Speaker 1: According to surveys, the public supports a wealth text, but Stephen knows how hard it will be to get the government on board.
Speaker 4: I think that politicians generally do lack courage, and I think they're frightened about the backlash from the media. I think the politicians need to stand up to that, need to start delivering on what you know and what the population want, not what a very small number of influential people want.
Speaker 1: How the government tackles an equality will determine the future not just for the new Prime Minister, but for all those who are struggling every day m h
Speaker 4: M m