Speaker 1: From the range to the field. CZ firearms are built to perform when it counts. Known for accuracy, durability, and reliability, CZ stands apart. CZ built for those who demand more. Czfirearms dot Com.
Speaker 2: Upgrade eu Optic with Hollisen, where innovation meets precision with fifty thousand hours of battery life, shake awake technology and a solar failsafe. Eu Optic is always ready when you are holosen confidence in every shot.
Speaker 3: We're still having fun around here because we get to talk about guns. I'm Tom Gresham. This is gun Talk. Glad you could be with us. If you want to join me, just give you a call Tom Talkgun That's the magic number here. You know, I've been doing this a long time and I've known a lot of these folks a long time. Joining me right now is one of the very top shooters. He has won pretty much everything Miam dozens of times national champion, dozens of times World champion, just set records. I mean, he's been shooting in winning matches since before he needed to shave. We are now joined by Rob Latham, and Rob I joined you and I greet you in the way of old shooters everywhere, which.
Speaker 4: Is huh huh, I can't hear you.
Speaker 3: What how are you doing?
Speaker 4: I am good. It's been about a while since we've talked. I miss it.
Speaker 3: I know it has been. I was looking. I sent you that link. I was look at that Old Dale nineteen ninety nine Sportsman's Team challenge. You look young and I look younger. So there you go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was younger, I was skinnier, and hey, let's get to shaven. Things started getting squared away. I was shaving in seventh grade, sixth grade, so come on. Of course, of course I was. I was twenty four years old. But that's the way it was that.
Speaker 3: I wasn't going to go there. But you read yourself out, So what can I tell you? So there you go.
Speaker 4: My sixth times through the third grade. I did great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go, third times a charm. They say that's a good thing.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: Birds all right, So you have literally won matches everywhere you've been shooting pistols since you and John Browning worked together. I remember that very well.
Speaker 4: I remember old Johnny all right.
Speaker 3: But also not only that, you have been teaching people to shoot because you are a hell of an instructor. You did a class down it range ready, and it was kind of a combination of shooting instruction and stand up comedy, which was a hoot and a half. You and christ Arino hot to go on the road.
Speaker 4: Man, Well, everybody needs to recognize you know that you're gonna laugh at everything, and you're gonna cry, so you may as well laugh. It's more fun than crying. And well, yeah, well there are serious things going on, especially when we were training. You got to have a sense of humor. It's easier to absorb your mistakes when it's funny than if you take it too seriously. And that's what a lot of classes is, finding out things you need to change, things you need to do things you didn't know.
Speaker 3: All right, So you have taught everybody from literally beginning shooters to world class shooters. And the question I have is why do we keep missing?
Speaker 4: The biggest reason, the single largest reason, is, without a doubt, trying to focus on things that we can't do well, that aren't even that important, and we don't focus on doing things that are important that we don't do well. So it's I mean, most of us can look at the sites really well, so I tell you to aim I actually never have to tell anybody to aim anymore. But if I tell you to aim, you know what that means. If I tell you to pull the trigger really fast without moving the gun, and I may even call it jerk, and nobody knows what that means. So there's a learning process to absorb concepts. But the mechanical mistake that is most often made is, I'll put it twofold one. We move the gun when we're trying to shoot it. Most of us can hold the gun pretty steady. When we're not trying to most of us can get it aligned or not shooting. But throwing in the needed to shoot component causes us to move the gun. It's moving the gun. And the second portion is we tend to practice things slow and say to slow down learn how to do it, which is great for a starting point, but when you need that later on, you're unlikely to have that time. So we have to learn to do some things fast. There's just no you know, there's no carryover to it doing it slow, you know.
Speaker 3: So shooting slowly doesn't teach you how it'll shoot fast.
Speaker 4: Oh, absolutely not. No, There're two different things. It's like running and walking. You know, there's there's associated movements. I mean obviously using your finger using the trigger, and you're gripping the gun, but the process of moving your finger to fire the gun, to pull the trigger is poorly understood and quite often, uh, well what the nice how the nice way to say this is out sound like a bu ahead Tom. It's taught wrong.
Speaker 3: It's taught wrong by people who don't know what they're talking about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a that's a that's a perfect way of doing it, my heart. The hardest way I usually say is when I have someone that's having a struggle and they're saying and they say to themselves. You'll hear them say it under their breath or even out loud. They say, I just need to slow down, and says no, you can't slow down. I mean there's no time to slow down. Slow down is a guaranteed failure. Doing it fast might fail, but doing it slow means you probably don't get a chance to fail. And I think that's hard for people to understand that. If you're in a circumstance where you have time, that's great, but if you have time, if you don't have time, then the process has to occur quickly. And I think most people honestly don't understand the mechanism well enough of pulling the trigger quickly.
Speaker 3: Disturbing the sites right.
Speaker 4: Well and are moving them much Let's say, yeah, okay, when we get when you get to aim. And one of the big problems comm is people look for levels of perfection like the dot and the sites need to be absolutely motionless. Then they really don't. They just have to be good and a little bit of movement is okay, but enough that causes misalignment where you're no longer pointed to gun. That's where the problems start coming in. The way I want way to a describe it as somebody is, if you're run out the highway and you're going at a high rate of speed, you call that number whatever you want. I'm gon same line in Arizona, and it's we're on the high freeway between Phoenix and Tucson, and it's seventy five miles an hour, and you come around a car to do a pass, and there's a tire in the middle of the road. At this point, you're going to have to do something fast. It's your only way of avoiding hitting it or having the accident. So if I was to say, now, just carefully, you you know, apply the brakes and at the same time, just slowly start steering back to where you came from or around it. And in the meantime you hit the tire. It didn't really matter how while you're doing it and how smoothly you're doing it. Happened too slow. And that's how shooting is a lot of the time for the competition world. You can't be slow unless you shoot slow games. I'm talking about fast shooting games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because if you're.
Speaker 4: Slow, you're gonna lose, right, I mean, if you're there's a certain pace you have to be at. And there are a couple of guys I'm working with right now who will probably hear this show and they'll know I'm talking about them. Both of them are extraordinarily good shots, and in their own realm are master class shooters. But when it comes to the last little degree where they need to be about twenty percent faster, there's no easy way to get there, especially by trying to be slow. We're trying to be slow or smooth. I mean, at that point, the only solution is violent and quick, and that's the next thing they have to learn because you can get. You can get really really well, become a really good shot up to a point. But to be good enough.
Speaker 3: Well I know, I know from I know from experience. If I really want to take off Rob Latham, all I have to do is say we don't slow and smooth and smooth as fast?
Speaker 4: God, there it is. I knew you were gonna hit me with that way. Man.
Speaker 3: That is.
Speaker 4: That is one of those old I don't even want to term for. It is completely misunderstood statements because what it says doesn't actually make any sense if you put into context of what somebody meant. At one point, they're probably describing something that they experienced and slower experienced as smooth. Like people will watch a good shooter shoot and they'll say, man, you're smooth, and I'm like, wow, boys, you didn't feel like it. I felt like I was hacking all over the place, and and somebody else will describe it another way, and then they'll put a value on that and say, oh, I got to slow down to be smooth. I'm like, well you can, but you're going to lose. And depending on what the game you're playing here, is the gunfighter or competition, you might lose a match. But there's something worse that could happen in a serious situation.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you, because part and parcel all of this I'm talking about the I think people focus way too much on aiming. We talk about that. Yes, one of the drills that I do, and I didn't make it up. A lot of people have done this. You take somebody and you get an a email on the target and you can tell they're flinching and they're jerking tuggar. So all right, just before you pull the trigger, close your eyes, close both eyes, and pull the trigger, and I swear it goes right in the center.
Speaker 4: Of the bulls lie every time, every time. What we're good at, what we've practiced, is holding the gun to let's call it. Let's call it alignment for lack of a better term. You put the gun in the middle of the target. Let's say you're five five yards away from an insecise target. You point it in the middle. Most of us can close our eyes and hold the gun for a minute and it would ever leave the target, if you know what I mean. So I don't need you to do it for a minute. I need you to close your eyes to get rid of that. That's what's the.
Speaker 3: Time when you can target fixation.
Speaker 4: There you go target fixation. So we expect the gun to fire, or we're waiting for the gun to fire when there's this this this instant of perfection occurs and it hardly ever does become perfect. It becomes good enough. But if we just close our eyes, then we're not even struggling with the aiming component of it. And then you immediately have to go from vision to feel, and you realize, all of a sudden, now people feel the gun. Now, all of a sudden, they feel the grip. Now, they feel the trigger pull, and nobody flinches when they close their eyes. And it was when I first did that with somebody. It's been quite a while, it's been many, many, many years. I said, and watched this person sheets slow fire and then I will and she's fine, and I said, now we need to go faster. And every single time this person pushed the gun down, and I watched how he was actually manipulating the trigger. To him, he was never even working on the trigger. It was his finger was off. It was not even touching, which is okay, but if you do it right, and he wasn't even touching, and then you just saw that that instant came and then he did everything. He pulled the trigger. He went from off the trigger to on the trigger, pulled the trigger, controlled recoil and everything, and missed. And I said, you could watch this flinch occur from the guy's shoulder all the way through his arm into his hands, right, And it's like, why don't just pull the trigger? And what he means is what I'm trying to make it happen right when the sites are perfect. So I said, close your eyes. You know, the sites are perfect the whole time. And it's just kind of where that came from. But it's funny you bring that one up, because that is the standard for teaching people trigger pulled, because trigger pull is not visual. You don't look at the trigger when you pull it right.
Speaker 3: You know. You know when you say don't worry about the sights because the sites are fine all the time, what you mean is that, look, nobody is wobbling the sights off the target. The wobble may be an inch or two left and right, so who cares? Just any of those is fine. Quit worrying about that and just get the trigger pulled without disturbing tay, what hold on right? I gotta take a quick break here. We're talking with Rob Latham, World Championshooter, obviously a great instructor, knows what he's talking about because he agrees with me most of the time. We'll be right back.
Speaker 5: For generations colts, battle proven rifles, ever in the trust of those who defend our nation. The Cult and five car Being continues that experience with a true free floating barrel system, enhanced ambidexter's controls, and reinforced durability for long term performance. Built from military, law enforcement and hobbyists delight them. Five delivers the reliability professionals and enthusiasts demand. Visit your local Cult stocking dealer in experience the Cult M five carbing Colt, proven trusted, Ready.
Speaker 6: Gear up this hunting season with a chance to win the Savage one ten carbon Hunter topped with a Zeiss V three riflescope. This lightweight hunting setup pairs a carbon fiber barrel, user adjustable ACU trigger and blackout Zerracote finish with zeisbright technology delivering at least ninety percent light transmission to help you stay in the hunt. Enter today at gun talk dot Com slash win before time runs out.
Speaker 7: Black Hills Ammunition is now loading a three hundred PRC round with the excellent Hornity two twelve grain ELDX hunting bullet. The new PRC eliminates the unnecessary belt of the three hundred Winchester magnum and increases the body diameter. The three hundred PRC two twelve eld X travels at over two thousand and eight hundre at fifty feet per second with three twenty four foot pounds of energy. The result is an optimum combination of accuracy and game stopping performance. Black Hill's ammunition the power of performance.
Speaker 8: Ever, spend twenty minutes scrolling and still can't find something worth watching? Stop searching, Start watching. Shooting Sports Life brings you endless shooting content from legendary firearms to today's newest innovations. Watch competitions, self defense, history, hunting, precision, shooting personalities, and exclusive originals, all free watch on your smart TV, phone or online. Visit Shooting SportsLife dot Com Shooting sports Life where freedom is a lifestyle.
Speaker 9: Ruger didn't just update the AR, they rebuilt it from the ground up. The Harrier is the modern sporting rifle reimagine for the serious shooter. MILLSPEC four's seventy seventy five receivers Night tried to bold carrier group with staked gas key, mlockhandguard with full length accessory rail, access threaded barrel, Ready for whatever you add to it. This isn't an iteration, It's an evolution decades of Ruger engineering discipline poured into the platform. You love the Ruger Harrier.
Speaker 10: As you.
Speaker 3: I imagine in my business being a media guy, you meet a lot of people and you know they of course old, there friendly, and you make kind of friends. And then there are those people. It's rare that you make really really good friends. Rob Latham is one of those. It's like we started off with business acquaintances and it just became good friends. It doesn't matter how long we've been apart or when we've seen each others. Like you get together and you start right in the middle of the conversation and Rob's with us right now. I got a question for you, partner. I think I'm trying to interpret what we're talking about here. One of the things that occurs to me trying to learn how to shoot faster or shoot fast maybe the word trust comes in trusting that the sites or the dot are okay and not worrying about it and not trying to force them onto the target and just pressing the trigger fast.
Speaker 4: I would agree with that one hundred percent. I don't think there's any way you can proceed with the trigger pull unless you do trust that the alignment you've created is sufficient. And one of the things that dry I'm going to get talking here, Tom, One of the things that drives me towards that is a fact that when people switch from iron sights to the optical site, they all of a sudden see a greater precision or greater degree of clarity of what they have when it comes to alignment. And I almost always see people who have moved from iron sights, especially if there are fighters of it. There are people who didn't really want the optics and found that one day came along They're like, well, hell, I can't see the sits well enough to do this, I kind of have to. So let's say they didn't really want to and they don't really like the looks of them on their gun, and so we're describing me by the way, and too, Okay, Yeah, this is me and I found the found the day where you know you, I've used them as competition all along, but I never wanted to ever have to use them as as a as an all the time. And then of course you get d the point where my vision is such that I need it. But now, all of a sudden, I see this level of precision that I probably never noticed before. One of the big struggles is a person who came from the focus on the sights of side of the tracks, all of a sudden is focusing on the target. That's an uncomfortable thing for them because they were always able to just ignore what was happening downrange to some and then and then now they can say, okay, well now I oh god, there's a target, so I see greater clarity of the thing I'm shooting. And I think looking at the was a way of not having to worry too much about that. I think the advantage of the optical fight is undeniable. The difficulty and uses it becomes a struggle from switching over and all of a sudden you see this, Oh my god, the gun, I'm not holding it steady. You would never see it with iron sights. And then with the optical sight. You're like, well, one, I can see on the target how much my sight is moving, and I can see it clearly and the dot and almost I can't pull the trigger because it's not perfect. And I see a lot of that time where people really struggle making that crossover and learning, Like I think my seakliner probably taught it the best of anybody I've ever seen. Is he sits there the first time I'd ever seen anybody do this, and he sits there and just move the gun all over the target and says, you tell me when to pull the trigger, and I'll shoot as soon as you tell me to. I won't wait for sight arm. So he's moving this thing all over the place, right, And then the class sits there and says now, and he shoots within his fast reaction time. So he shooting with fifteen hundred and second and wherever the gun's point is where he shoots. And you were sitting there watching the gun move around, and there's the gun move around. You go like, well, there's no way he can be hitting anything. And we did this and there was maybe ten or fifteen yards and you walk up to the target and go well, and the students start trying to trick him too. They start and there is no trick to it. They're saying like, I'm gonna wait till he's on his way out, and then it moves out and I'll say now, and he'd shoot whenever, wouldn't correct anything to go down there. And there's a group in the middle of the target, and eighty percent of them are in the center zone of the tog at the target, and the ones that are out are barely out, and everybody is flabbergas, and it's like the close your eyes thing. Everybody's flabbergas when you hit the targets and you're not looking at the sites. And that kind of shows people that you really don't need some sort of ludicrous amount of stability. It doesn't have to be emotionless motionless as the word I'm looking for. It needs to be steady enough. But it can't be motionless. I don't know needing, but a few masterclass bull By shooters can hold the gun motionless.
Speaker 3: Let me throw out a thought that we would probably all of us would hate to hear, and that is that it may just be we have to accept that good enough is actually good enough, and our enemy is striving for perfection.
Speaker 4: Right, that's correct. That is exactly how I would describe it. In our mind, we're thinking we need something we can't do. So then anytime we're like, well I can't do that, well, I mean, I love the challenge of trying to figure out how there is this thing I can't do. I'm like, well, no, I'm telling you you can't do this because it can't be done, right, it can't be done. When I talk to my best bold eye shooter buddies and when I watch them hold the gun, I'll sit there and say that gun is not moving. He said, yeah, is it move it all over the place. So it's just for them.
Speaker 3: It's moving all over the place.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But you and me, it's like, good, this thing doesn't move at all. But even a beginning shooter holds the gun steady enough to be on target. That's not where they struggle. It's putting all these pieces together and if we get I mean, the way I describe is hold on real type, learn how to pull the trigger without moving it, see clearly what you're trying to hit, and create a little bit of alignment. The term I use is aim a little bit aime enough enough, but faster. Yeah, exactly, because again we're back to the what's more important if you're trying to make a if you're trying to hit a six inch or a five inch target at twenty five yards. First off, if it's stationary, that's a pretty lucky position because in a real life situation that wouldn't be true. But this is what I think a lot of what we expect is to throw an optical sight on the gun all of a sudden, and now I can hit anything I can see and say, well, okay, Rob.
Speaker 3: I got to interrupt you here because thrankly, I'm just tired of talking with you.
Speaker 4: I told you, I told you I was going to get talking, buddy, Let's.
Speaker 3: Pick it up again. Always a pleasure, Rob Latham. Uh, I am fortunate to call your friend, and I always love to have you here.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me, all right.
Speaker 3: You take care of Tell that lovely wife heres hello for us? All right, everybody, eight sixty six talk gun will get you in here. Yeah, that's you just got a masterclass. You really did o, kid?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, when we come back, Holy cal we got a lot to talk about Second Amendment stuff going on, you know it seems like the battle never ends, and that's because, well, the battle never ends, since we can have a lot of victories and the fight is still there because the gun banners never sleep and they, unfortunately they are very well funded. We're joined right now by Bill Sack. He's the senior director of Legal Operations of the Second Amendment Foundation bill. That's a mouthful, but I guess that applies because.
Speaker 11: You're yep, yep, there's no shortage of government to sue around these parts.
Speaker 3: That's our job security, right, Okay, So you just want a big one. Start from the beginning. What the heck is this all about?
Speaker 10: Sure, so as folks will remember.
Speaker 11: Because we all have PTSD from the Biden administration. During the administration in twenty twenty two, one of the gun control folk of the administration was quote unquote ghost guns. I'm doing air quotes here for the listeners at home. And you know, the concern was was that at the time there had been some growing popularity of you knownufactured self manufacturing gun kits, things like polymer EIGHTI kits, eighty percent AR receivers and things like that. Were hobbyists and liberty minded individuals could buy kits of non complete non firearms, and they could if they so choose gunsmith and complete the kits and make firearms for their own personal use, which by the way, is.
Speaker 10: Completely lawful activity.
Speaker 11: The ATF agrees, the Constitution degrees it's completely legal for you to make your own guns for your own personal use so long as you're not prohibited from possessing.
Speaker 3: Them, and it has been for two hundred and fifty years.
Speaker 10: No one really says otherwise.
Speaker 11: But what the Biden administration ATF wanted to do was essentially chill that activity.
Speaker 10: They didn't like.
Speaker 11: It, and they, rather than trying to ban it outright because they knew that they would run into the constitutional protections that ultimately they ran into in this case, they passed a regulation through the ATF trying to make it exceedingly difficult in order for people to get the parts and the raw materials that they would need to be able to self manufacture their own firearms.
Speaker 10: And so what they did is they promulgated.
Speaker 11: This regulation through the ATF that essentially made it impossible for the average person to.
Speaker 10: Know what was a gun and what wasn't a gun.
Speaker 11: And what it did was it tried to change the definition of firearm under the Gun Control Act such that it would also include frames or receivers of firearms, but not just those those that are incomplete, not completely manufactured, non functional.
Speaker 10: But what they coined a.
Speaker 11: New term which was readily convertible or readily completable, okay, And they created this test for what means readily completable that was completely opaque.
Speaker 10: It was multi factor.
Speaker 11: Even the factors that they listed in the rule, they said this was a.
Speaker 10: Non exclusive, non exhaustive list.
Speaker 11: So they essentially said, hey, look, it's a gun when we see it. We know when we see it, but we're not going to tell you ahead of time what's a gun and what's not a gun.
Speaker 3: Which is tells you that you go ahead and do it. And if we decide that you broke the law, even though you can't know what the law is yet, we're going to tell you and we'll throw you in prison exactly.
Speaker 10: Right, you know.
Speaker 11: Like the what was actually at risk here for both the individuals and manufacturers was if you sell something that you believe is an inanimate object, a non firearm object as we call them in the lawsuit, because it's something like an incomplete polymera EIGHTI frame that is not a gun cannot be used as a gun because you would have to do additional things to it for it to be able to accept the parts necessary for it to be a gun, for to meet the definition of firearm or the Gun Control Act. You know, if it's not that one of those things, you could just sell it online. You can sell it to anybody because it's not a firearm under the law. But if it is a gun, well then all of the regulations that we.
Speaker 10: All know and hate apply.
Speaker 11: You know, you have to send it to an FFL, A forty four to seventy three, a background check, all sorts of things have to be done that are associated with selling guns.
Speaker 10: You need to be a licensed dealer.
Speaker 11: And if you sell a gun as a non gun, well you can get in a lot of trouble and go to prison for a long time.
Speaker 3: You know, Bill And so what they I've been visiting the atl just kind of smiling saying, do you feel lucky? Punk?
Speaker 10: Exactly exactly.
Speaker 11: So, you know, they knew that they were skirting around the edges of what was going to be legal and constitutional to begin with. And so what they did was they wrote a very mealy mouthed, vaporous and impossible to understand regulation that was designed to create confusion in the marketplace, create confusion amongst gund owners, and in the interim, if you don't know what you're allowed to do or what will get you thrown in jail for ten years, then you're probably just not going to.
Speaker 10: Try to do it to begin with. And that's exactly what they want.
Speaker 3: Okay, So obviously you took this into court and we just got a good win. What's the whim say, because sometimes just like, okay, what if the court actually say on this thing?
Speaker 10: Sure?
Speaker 11: Sure, So people that have been following long hood will also remember that this already went up to the Supreme Court once. So the case at that time was called Vanderstock and it went up to the Supreme Court on only one claim that we had as part of this lawsuit, which was a statutory construction claim, essentially saying that the ATF had read the statute to say things that it doesn't say and they tried to insert words that weren't there. The Supreme Court ultimately didn't agree with us on that claim, and we lost on that claim. But the rest of the case kept on going and in the rest of the case. We had two additional claims, a Second Amendment claim and a Fifth Amendment claim, and just just now a few days ago, we got a win, and we got a summary judgment win and a permanent injunction granted, as well as declaratory relief on both the Second Amendic claim and the Fifth Amendment claim.
Speaker 3: Okay, so what does that mean realistically? What can we do now that we couldn't do before?
Speaker 10: Great question, So a few things.
Speaker 11: So the declaratory relief is exactly kind of what it sounds like. That means that the court has declared that the entirety of the Biden era frame a.
Speaker 10: Receiver rule is unconstitutional.
Speaker 11: Now this is important as applied to the plaintiffs in the case, and the plaintiffs in the case are Defense Distributed, our partner in the case, and Second Memen Foundation and all of our members both current and future.
Speaker 10: So to be included in the.
Speaker 11: Declaratory relief, you need to be a SAFF member.
Speaker 10: You can always join. Now's a great time to join to be part of this injunction.
Speaker 11: And what that means is that the Northern District of Texas has now said for SAFF members nationwide. This rule is unconstitutional as applied to you. So if the government tried to use this rule against you in some sort of prosecution, you have a court order that you can wave around as a shield and say, nh uh, I'm a SAFF member. This applies to me for all intents and purposes if you are a second Me Foundation member. The frameer receiver rule, the ghost gun rule, is dead and gone, and what we now have is a return to the status quo of the definition of firearm under the Gun Control Act. It's right back to where the law was saying, like twenty twenty one before this rule was passed on.
Speaker 3: Okay, two things. One, Obviously, people need to know what the laws are in their state because state laws are not federal laws, and you could run again to something there. And number two, while this is really good news, it's also absolutely maddening, just like with the suppressure decision, where you have to belong to a certain group to actually have your constitutional rights. I understand why the Supreme Court and these courts are doing this, but it's just just nuts that you'd say, oh, you have a second member right, but only if you're a member of the Second Amendment Foundation.
Speaker 10: That's right, that's right. It is both frustrating and seemingly silly.
Speaker 11: And we get this question a lot from our constituents and our members. In fact, I just was responding to an email this morning that was asking this question of, like, you know, Bill, let me get this straight. The Constitution means something different for SAFF members as opposed to NONSAFF members.
Speaker 10: How can that be? And it is.
Speaker 11: It's it is a little bit of kind of legal trickery that's at play here, because obviously we know that you know, what the Constitution and what federal law means is supposed to be applicable to everybody everywhere in the country. Equally, the federal courts are limited in terms of the scope of relief that they can offer. And this is because of case law that has come down over the years, including a Supreme Court case just from a year or so ago called Trump Vicasa exactly, and that limited the ability of the federal courts to issue injunctions that are quote unquote universal, which means that they apply to everybody everywhere in the country.
Speaker 10: Courts only have, according to this case, the.
Speaker 11: Jurisdictional authority to rule on to make rulings that apply to the people that are in the cases in front of them, and so we.
Speaker 10: Try to get the broadest possible relief.
Speaker 11: We try to get it to affect the most possible people in the country by bringing the case on behalf of our members, because that way we can cover, you know, thousands and thousands and thousands of people all over the country, and all you have to do is become a staff member. Whereas if we bring the case just on behalf of you know, like four people that live in Texas, well, then it only protects four people that live in Texas.
Speaker 3: Would it be possible to follow this up with some kind of a class action that represents all gun owners in America or all Americans? How do we get this to where we can say all Americans now can enjoy this Second Amendment again? Right?
Speaker 11: Great, great question. So the answer there is two words. Supreme Court. You know, the way that these things get resolved is that the Supreme Court is supposed to rule on them. The best way to get nationwide relief that covers everybody, covers all the states, covers all the jurisdictions is for the Supreme Court to say, hey, look, this thing is now dead. It is really dead. It's gone for everybody. So that is why we try so hard for all of these cases, to run them up the federal ladder, to get these through the circuit courts and before the Supreme Court and make the argument, like, what's really an issue here? It's constitutional rights. Constitutional rights must by their very nature apply to all Americans everywhere right now. They don't please fix this, And that is the argument that we make to the Supreme Court over and over again.
Speaker 3: Okay, so this is a win, and you can make your own guns again. If you're a member of staff, go ahead and join. You should belong anyway, all right. I know that there's a I've got like a couple of minutes left. There's another big case that you've I guess a file two or maybe even three lawsuits on now where the states and even cities are trying to ban block pistols.
Speaker 11: It's as crazy as it sounds. You know, all of the jurisdictions that for years and years have attempted to ban and I'm doing air quotes again, assault rifles are now trying to ban the most popular or amongst the most popular handguns in the country, which of course are you know, glock and the clock platform. They're making the argument that these things need to be banned because criminals take illegal machine gun conversion devices, you know, clock switches known colloquially and illegally convert them into machine guns, and because these criminals are doing illegal things with other illegal things, well then we must also ban the platform that they are doing these illegal things too. That's their theory about why this is in the public cy interest.
Speaker 3: And they're passion to the laws. I mean, they're actually doing this and it's against the law in some states.
Speaker 11: Now, oh yeah, we have we have these block bans and four jurisdictions now we have laws suits filed in three of them already, so in California, Maryland, and now just recently in New York. The problem with these things from a constitutional perspective, and this is exactly what we argued, is we all know that all arms in common use are protected by the Second Amendment.
Speaker 10: This is what the Supreme Court has articulated.
Speaker 11: This is part of the brew and test is that if it's an arm that's in common use for lawful purposes, it's protected. And we also know from the Heller decision that handguns specifically are protected because they're the quintessential arm for self defense. Okay, so what these states have done is they, even having been told that they can't ban handguns and they can't ban common guns, they've chosen to ban the most common handguns, which is astounding to say the least. And so we have suon.
Speaker 3: Were about the analogy here of people are taking they're rechipping and doing stuff to make their chevies go so fast they're really breaking the speed limit. So rather than go after the speeders, let's just band chevalets.
Speaker 11: Exactly right, precisely right, We're gonna ban V eight engines because people are souping them up and taking them to the drag streight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. This seems easy because we have the Supreme Court decisions that say you cannot do this.
Speaker 10: So we sure think that it's a slam dunk case.
Speaker 11: And making matters even better, is you know we of course, let's not forget we have two assault weapons ban cases Second Amendment Foundation assault weapons ban cases that the Supreme Court agreed to hear this coming term. That is Vera Montes and Grant coming out of Chicago and in Connecticut. And so we're going to get some additional information from the Supreme Court this term about what sort of arms can be banned in what can't, and just in the same way that our position, and we believe that the Supreme Court and certainly hope that the Supreme Court is going to agree with us, is that if you can't ban the most common rifles in America like the AR fifteen, you certainly can't ban the most common handguns in America like glocks and block platform pistols. So we're hoping that once these assault weapons ban cases percolate through the Supreme Court and we get an opinion in those that there's going to be really strong language and really strong interpretation that we get there, that we can then take to these glockcases and be like, cut it out, these got to go, get them out of here, and that they get kicked out on their keyster pretty quickly.
Speaker 3: But in the meantime, we're having to fight the fight and spend the money. And if you live in these states, you are operating under these non constitutional restrictions.
Speaker 11: That's right, you know, they are in effect. We are fighting the fight. You know, we get these cases filed as early as we can, even before the laws take effect in many instances, but it's critical to us and our constituency and everybody in New York, for example, that this law is put on hold and is not enforceable.
Speaker 10: While all of that happens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, the other thing is and we kind of lose sight of this sometimes we're in the middle of the churches. Is we are winning in ways that we could not have imagined twenty or thirty years ago.
Speaker 10: Oh, no question.
Speaker 11: I mean the arc of history is going so far in our favor.
Speaker 10: I mean, we have constitutional carry in a majority of states.
Speaker 11: We got major chunks of the NFA enjoined just within the last week or two. We got this this Biden administration frame of receiver rule struck down just.
Speaker 10: A couple of days ago.
Speaker 11: We have two assault weapons ban cases that are going before the Supreme Court.
Speaker 10: I mean, we are winning.
Speaker 11: So we're winning so many times and so all over the place that we're starting to get.
Speaker 10: Like win fatigue.
Speaker 11: We want to make sure that everybody understands it's not the time to take your foot off of the gas pedal. It's the time to slam it to the floor.
Speaker 10: Let's go. Let's keep on winning big.
Speaker 3: Here, girl, Bill Sack, Senior director of Legal Operations the Secondman Foundation. Thank you so much for what you do.
Speaker 6: Hell, yes, we're going to take your AR fifteen, your AK forty seven.
Speaker 3: So after the interview with Rob Latham, I had a little text exchange with them real time and he said, you know, he said he's got these hands are arthritic and it harked him to hold in these fat grip guns. He says, you know, we came up with an idea. We actually created a new gun right right on the spot. Our concept is going to be a twenty eleven, one of these twenty eleven pistols with a single stack grip. So it's gonna be a single stack twenty eleven. Where do you think I think we're onto something here. Maybe could be. I'm looking at reports of more carjackings and people who are startled, frightened. Never imagined that could happen. Why would somebody do that to me? One case where people are walking their dog and this guy just tries to run over him because he got mad at him? Because whatever makes no sense. Why would anybody do that? Can I offer a thought? And I understand that a lot of people are working really hard to try to figure out a way or reason not to carry a gun because they don't want to carry a gun. I get it, understand it. At the same time, I think you gotta understand that some times there's just no reason to this, no rhyme or reason to it, there's no logic to it. That guy may have multiple convictions, he may have a car full of illegal guns and marijuana and other stuff, and when you flip him off, that's all the justification he needs. So Number one, drive meekly and mildly. Don't honk your horn, don't cut people off, don't tailgate them, don't break check them, don't flip them off, don't do any of that stuff. You have no idea how incredibly violent or murderous that person is. Yeah, but all I did now, no, no, no, there's no all I did was. The other thing is if you do absolutely nothing wrong, he can still perceive that as something that you've done. And I just offer the thought of the whole what are you going to do when you start working your way through the scenario, each step along the way and it gets worse and worse and worse, and you get to that final stage, what are you prepared to do in the way of what you have with you, your tools, your training, your willingness, your awareness. Are you ready to drive over the curb? Are you ready to drive through somebody's yard? Are you willing to do whatever it takes to get away? Are you willing to run your car into his car push it out of the way so you can escape. Now, you can always call the police later and say this is what happened. You cannot not well at least, you cannot come up with a plan on the fly. It's probably not going to be a good plan. But you can sit in your house. You could come up with a plan. I will do this if this happens, I would do that. And I'm just going to tell you at the end of all of that, if everything escalates and goes south badly and he wants to break out your car window and reach in there and grab you, he's going to do whatever he wants to do to you. If you don't have a way to stop him, He's going to do whatever he wants to do to you and anybody else in your car, your family members. I just offer this to say, look, you know you need to think about this stuff. You need to think about it ahead of time and when you think about it, to come up with a plan and then start executing the plan. The plan involves getting training, probably having a gun, and also being prepared to take evasive action with your car and understand what that involves. I wish we did not have to talk about that, but wishing and hoping is not a plan. So make a plan.