Speaker 1: With Laurent's segle and from London and Gerard read from Berlin.
Speaker 2: This is redefining energy today.
Speaker 1: On Redefining Energy, Laurno. We're going to bring an old friend back on the show, aren't we.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's David's Casebrook, the Brook in queen Brook and reading on the show five years ago, very popular episode episode sixty six. The things have changed so much so it was probably time to bring in and discuss all this data center and the revolution of twenty fourteen power development.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that's what I love about David is these guys have been at the forefront of this renewable stuff for twenty five years over and I mean always at the forefront of that. They're not just an infrastructure investor really are. They're local and sort of saying, well, where's the future going? And that's creator. Yeah, we need to have Drap back on again. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And for the people who don't know queen Brook, it's a mid size specialties fun They have executed twenty seven billion dollars two hundred and forty projects. They've built more than forty gigawad operating across US, UK and Australia, and they're so good. Definitely punching above their weight. And of course at some point we're going to enter in the data center realm. And here they've developed out of thin air a company called Rowan, so you can hear about Rowan, which is one of the top three successful data centered developer in America. And they just signed a Chinamos did with Blackstone one billion dollars. Very very impressive. I'm keen to hear what David is to.
Speaker 1: Say, So let's bring another show.
Speaker 3: David, Welcome back to the show.
Speaker 2: It's so nice to see you guys again. I can't believe it's been this long. Always a pleasure to talk to you too.
Speaker 1: Well, David, maybe just kick off this and I think actually the last half another show was almost five years ago. Yes, you've been in this renewable space for almost a quarter of us and shit at this point in time. But I'd love to hear what's changed over the last five years for you, and then you know, we can probably dig a little bit deeper into Quinn Brock and what you're doing differently and then really talk a little bit more about the future. Now, that's what we'd love to sort of go through today. But startup, and what are the big things that you look at and say, wow, this is what's changed. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, I would say if I go back five years, I'm thinking, you know, twenty one, twenty two. Back then, the big things that we were pondering were getting out of wind on shore wind and into solar and storage in a fairly big way. And the projects that we were doing were persuading us in that direction, largely because on the solar and storage side, you know, with our Gemini project in Nevada, which it was just cost based, we were looking at the potency of those two technologies combined together. There have been a lot cheaper since then, but of course both in time of day, but in overall Lcoe they were unbeatable. And on the other hand, we were finishing up about a five year build of our Scout wind platform and it was occurring to us that we saw that the fund was going out of on sure wind from a risk adjusted return perspective. For a couple of reasons, particularly in the US, we saw it as a cluster technology, which means everyone develops it in the same location, and that Tier one wind sites and then did Tier two, etc. But that particularly in the US with the production tax credits led to price cannibalization, and so it was a very very difficult period to think about sort of consistent returns with so much volatility being driven by too much capacity going into the same node or into the same connection. And of course then we started to see price separation between your connection point and irrelevant pricing node from a customer point of view, So to us, you can't really diversify yourself out of that. Very difficult back then to contract your way out of that from a hedging perspective, and so there was really a really huge turning point for us was the decision to get out of on shore wind and into solar battery storage, which at the time and in the five years since, we saw it back then as the engine room of the energy transition. We were a pioneer of solar and DC coupled storage, and that was with four hour solution back then. Everything that's happened since then, I mean, it's more than eighty percent of most grid cues. It's now the dominant technology combination, and certainly in the markets where we're active. And so I would say that technology trend based on cost. The sheer cost competitiveness and the time of day service that solar and storage could deliver because turned out to be absolutely right.
Speaker 3: So in the past five years, the financing condition, so you've seen more investors come in, the risk profile changing. How has it evolved because at the same time the interest rates have gone up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd say it. In the early days, the novelty was in being in the sector itself, and so there was reasonable return capture through the whole development cycle. And when money was cheap, M and A strategies and renewables attracted a lot of institutional capital. There's a lot of new entrants coming in. I mean, generalists were turning into renewable infrastructure. Generalists were having renewables represent the largest component of their funds, of their core and their core plus funds, and so money started to flow into the sector. Generalists took significant amount of that capital. M and A strategies really dominated a lot of the capital flows that went into the sector, and there were reasonable returns I mean, in a relative sense, reasonable chance to be had through those M and A strategies. I think in that time we've seen a lot of capacity build, a lot of capital flow, both on the equity and debt side to a point where where we are today, a lot of the institutional capital that we speak to around the world has kind of got their allocation of what they would sort of refer to as generic megawatts or the sort of the more or maybe the core plus strategies that have suffered a lot with interest rates given these discounter cash flow assets. As interest rates go up, wax go up, navs go down, that's put a lot of pressure on some of those historic sort of M and A strategies, particularly things that were bought aggressively in competitive auctions. They haven't performed very well. That's been a little bit of appall over renewables sitting in their portfolios. That has tempered appetite for more. Fast forward to kind of where we are today, I'd say from where we sit, particularly a lot of institutional capital looking for differentiation in the strategy. They're looking for differentiation in the returns. They're looking for new ways to play infrastructure within the energy transition. So we're kind of in the age of the specialist and we're in the age of differentiation. And the other thing I would say is you look at the evolution of investment product that's been created and offered to the capital that flows into the sector back not that maybe five years ago you had solar funds and you had very technology specific investment funds that we're doing kind of one thing in either one country or a number of countries. And I think over that time what we've seen is investors now are attracted more to either technology agnostic, multi technology or diversified strategies that are across more than one way to play the energy transition. So that's part of that differentiation, and I think it's also a function of the fact that the return on investment and return on equity across technologies has largely commoditized. And so whilst we know that there are significant differences technologically and performance wise in the way these assets behave and a lot of cases, a lot of stres srategies, you're not getting rewarded for that differential. And so the choice in terms of the fundamental risk beta, whether it's construction, whether it's operational, you're not getting compensated for that, particularly using sort of M and A strategies. And so the market has sort of tended to shift towards more value add where the investor is investing more for sponsors that are differentiated in the way they go about creating a higher return and sort of mitigating their risk position on the downside, and moving away from those generic megawats that sort of still necessary for decarbonization. It's just not as interesting for investors to deploy a lot more capital in that direction. It's far more going into the value add strategies.
Speaker 1: David May, I just follow on this because the one thing that I would see when I'm looking at a lot of your competitors is exactly what you said, I'm going to be more brutal than what you said. Is all they've done is they have run power plans from Excel sheets for the last fifteen to twenty years. Now. You've been very different now because I even just go back to the fact that you bought a flexibility platform, you realize that you had to sort of become an energy services company, and you didn't use that phrase, and I'm just curious why you didn't have that phrase energy such system.
Speaker 2: That's a great question. I mean, it probably touched on something I should have mentioned in response to Laurren's question earlier, which is what's happened in the last five years for US is we're thinking thematically these days, and we're investing thematically because at the end of the day, our job is to deliver the same thing from an investment outcome and performance perspective. It's a rinse and repeat exercise. But of course, in terms of our return targets and what we're offering for our investment services doesn't really change from decade to decade mid teens plus, but what we have to do to achieve it has changed fundamentally a year to year, vintage to vintage, fund to fund, market to market. We have to to reinvent our strategy each time thematically, and so we've learned to invest now more by choosing a select number of thematics which are directionally where we think we can apply our skills and generate these value add returns. And so we don't think in market terms, or we don't think specifically in market or country terms. We think thematically and we try to apply those thematics across all of the markets where we are active. And the most significant part of that is that our strategic focus has shifted entirely to being customer centric, so we are solving problems and to solve problems for customers. Customers don't care what technology choices you make. They care about reliability, they care about impact, they care about cost, and so when we think about the tools we need in our toolkit, they are all the things you mentioned. Yes, of course, we have to have full suite development capability across all all the bank of all proven technologies. We need to be able to mix them and compliment them to achieve a supply profile that matches what the customer needs. But then we need to do more than that. We need to algorithmically optimize batteries using AI. We need to do that through the whole project development suite, and we need access to flexibility. We need to fill in the gaps going back to what I said in twenty two, the missing hours problem. Since then, we've developed an eight hour battery, now working on a twelve hour battery. It's purely designed to be able to deliver that twenty four to seven profile to data centers or steel mills or smelters, because that's the problem we're increasingly trying to solve. We're not trying to develop mega watts just to stick into the grid. We're trying to develop a services and a solutions project. Or combination of projects that solve a customer's problem. So I'd say over the last five years we have pivoted entirely to being thematically driven solutions business in the energy transition.
Speaker 1: Can I just dig on that a little bit and after question? Yeah, cool and again a bit a bit provocative. Here does that really sit in a fund structure? And where I'm coming from ante is at the end of the day, you've got a fund. At some point you're trying to get a return to someone to that song, right, So tell me how does that of fit in? And where is the secret SAP and all of our.
Speaker 2: The secret source is that the capital lives in the fund and that's where it belongs because that's our fiduciary business. But we have an equivalent number of people over one hundred and hour in our project development, construction, design, operations, procurement. That's the secret source. We are finding over time. The only way we can consistently deliver differentiated value add returns with proprietary thematics that we are thinking about every day that solve customer problems is we have to be able to deliver those solutions ourselves increasingly, and so today across the Quinnrook pipeline. Even compared to say, five years ago, we were way more dependent on portfolio businesses that we were creating ourselves to execute a certain thematic. These days, we're still doing that, but more than half of our portfolio now is things that Quimrook itself is developing, site acquisition, grid connections, permitting, design, procurement.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Not only that gives us the ability to retain a lot of value and offer that value back up to our investors, but we're pursuing proprietary thematics that we don't want the market to know about, necessarily because we want to continue to be a first mover. So to answer your question, if you were just a fund manager, I don't think you can do all of that that needs to be done. That when I say we are thematically driven, we're customer centric. We can solve problems and create solutions. As just as a fund manager, it's very very difficult to do that. You can do it via portfolio company and assemble portfolio companies, but of course you've got to sell those portfolio companies at some point in time and then you lose all that capability. We still do that, you know, we still turn over our portfolio companies, but what we've done internally is create the enduring capability, the enduring skill set from project development side, acquisition grid. These are things that are common to everything that we do, and so being able to have that in perpetuity I think is really really critical. It's a critical differentiator for us.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about the elephant in the rumor, well, not the different the herb of elephants, which well she was not pronounced four years ago, a Berlin pass data sentels and that has been a fantastic driver of your gross recently. Rather just shoveling make out what our work to the grid and let the grid take care of it more or less, let's talk about the past five years and our integration in the hyperscalar universe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is the biggest topic today, wasn't back in twenty one when we were on the blackboard trying to figure out I mean, in twenty one was obvious that hyperscale data centers were the largest virtual buyers of renewable power. Right, they all had net zero commitments, they were all doing the biggest PPAs. But one of the things that we noticed was that data centers were getting bigger. I mean, Gemini was supporting a two hundred megawatt data center in twenty twenty one for Google in Nevada. That was monstrous in twenty twenty one and in the desert, and we were like, what's going on. We had just like this light bulb moment where we said, the hierarchy of needs for data centers is changing to power first, and that's right up our street. So we looked across the landscape of the US industry, which hadn't gone hyper scale really, and AI wasn't a thing. Post COVID five G was a thing. Netflix was a thing, Zoom was a thing, Teams thing, and that was driving a lot of growth in power need and their full capacity of data centers. But we saw beyond that. We just thought, this is an exorable trend. And we looked across the industry landscape and they were mostly property businesses, like there were real estate trusts, and they were triple net lease where power was a pass through and they just signed up to the local utility and passed the costs onto the data center operator. So what occurred to us was we just need to expand our development capability. We're already finding sites that can host massive gigawattscale supply solutions. Why don't we expand our ability to find sites that also host these data center Think back to what I said before, We needed to get physical because the world was virtual, and in a virtual ppa world, you don't get paid for quality and you don't have any bargaining leverage when you're negotiating price and terms. But you do when you're physically delivering out of site where a customer needs access to all the things you're developing at that site. So, if you think about that collectively, we needed to go physical. We needed to expand our development capability to include places where you'd put a hyperscale data center that needed massive power supply, particularly renewables at the time, and needed to be well developed in the right location, at the right timing and the right price point. And so that's what gave us a huge conviction to go hard into the hyperscale data center Thematic empowered Land providing a customer solution for hyperscale data centers. Now, at the time, everyone said we were learning. They said, you guys are kidding. How can you waltz into the US data center industry and sort of crack it open with this idea of yours, and that inspires us being told we're mad or we can't do something. So I think our conviction wasn't wavered, and we went and did what we not know. We didn't know really about hyper scale data center busyesers and the customer perspective, and so we hired a whole bunch of people from the customer and we didn't need to be taught out to develop projects, but we needed to acquire the customer mindset to know what was the right thing to do at the right time. And that was really an important initiative that we took. So we started Rowan back in twenty twenty one in the US. I'm proud to say that from dollar one employee number one in that five years, Rowan is now number three data center developer in the United States, one of the fastest growing, has got three hundred and fifty people. You saw the deal we announced with Blackstone. But importantly, over that time, the power first is now obvious to everybody. It's obvious you've got data center company's buying power developers. It's the only thing that matters. It's the only thing that gets you a lease with any of the compute firms is power and timing of power, and so now it's obvious. But importantly, the delivery of the power solution, together with the land solution and the permit solution hasn't changed. It's become more acute and more obvious. And so the power element to the strategy is now more critical than ever. And actually people are paying big money and I'm paying a lot of value away to acquire that power capability along with the data center development piece. Probably it's our most successful investment. Is showing no signs of letting up. But I guess the most important thing beyond Quinbrook, of course, is it's entirely changed the supplied demand paradigm. And five years ago, no one was seeing the demand curve tilt up as aggressively as we're now seeing it, and we are in supply demand equilibria markets. From a pricing perspective, that's what drives the price and value of electricity in particular, and therefore data centers are having the single largest impact on affordability on available of capacity. Competition for capacity. You're seeing it in acute political reaction, in community reaction, in places where capacity is being saturated or is overbuilt. So this is really the issue of our age. Because it affects everything, you can't ignore it. Fortunately for us, we're in the middle of it up to our eyeballs. That's where we'd rather view the game from inside the tent because it is so fundamentally important and influential to everything in the sector.
Speaker 1: David, I'm sort of curious about how far you go into this energy value chain within data centers and where I'm coming from, and this is I can understand what you're doing is you're bringing power to the meter, But if you look between the meter and the chip, it's all electrics at the end of the day, power electron acity. You've got capacitors in there, you've got batteries in there. Do you vertically integrate more into that or do you just leave the hyperscalers through that or how do you see that?
Speaker 2: Well, people talk about the hyperscale is like they're amorphous.
Speaker 1: They're not.
Speaker 2: Every single one of them is different in how they approach their power strategy. But the pressures of time forcing expediency, which means the more you're able to do, the more valuable you are at this moment in time and So if you have long lead equipment that they don't have, if you have development capability, if you're able to provide behind the meda capacity, whether that's truck mounded gts or its batteries, or you've got a track record in you've got a long duration battery, you've got any of these things, you've got, the more tools you've got in your bag to solve their power issue, because they still think of it like as a customer should power to the chip or power at the chip. That's what drives their business. That's what they need, and so they don't want to have to compromise on that journey. But now the next single biggest shift in the industry because of grid can community opposition is you've got to bring your own power. So now we're going through another evolution of the solution required, which I think is a partial answer to your question that the hyperscalers can't just think about power at the chip anymore. They have to be accommodating to now some of the constraints of behind the meta solutions for power acceleration. They may get grid power five years from now, but the behind the meta solution has imperfections. The power quality isn't necessarily as reliable as grid power, but that's Ford seeing compromises, and so that's changing the nature of the engagement between the behind the meta power supplier and the hyperscaler. Some of the hyper scalers are massively building out their internal power teams because they need their own delivery capability. That doesn't make the solution any different to whether it's a third party solution or any how solution. You're still constrained by the art the possible technologically behind the meta at a certain point. But technology is evolving in a way that's helping that, so real time power management, algorithmic optimization of the interface between the load and the supply point. But again, come back, I'll like to take the conversation all the way back to episode sixty six, the missing hours and being behind the meter in twenty four seven. Our challenge right now and a lot of the projects that we're developing is we're getting very close to twenty four to seven power. It isn't the way we thought we would be there. Necessarily, long duration batteries have taken a bit longer to get there, but we're probably at the cutting edge of that. But the urgency of the power needs, particularly of the data center industry at the moment, for particularly AI compute means you don't have time for a lot of that evolution, and you have to be more expedient in that solution, and that's why you're seeing this move to short term gts. Eventually we think they'll be and they're still doing backup generators in a lot of their projects. They don't have the time to experiment with some of these new solutions, so expediency has forced us to fall back on what we know. But the innovation really is in the software and the control systems that are able to do multi technology combinations of integrated solution behind the meta. That's the next biggest shift that we're seeing. What they say, necessity is the mother of invention, and so now we're seeing a whole plethora of solutions claiming to solve that problem for behind the meta supplied to energy intensive load. That's I think one of the most fascinating developments we'll see over the next couple of.
Speaker 1: David, maybe just one last question, because you're working internationally, can you talk about the differences in the markets here in particular, I'm sort of looking at the difference between the you know, the US market and obviously the urine market, but you're also in the Australian market as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can pursue the same thematics with different gusto in each one at any given particular point in time.
Speaker 1: But look, the.
Speaker 2: US is still a very very attractive market if you can pivot, strategically, pivot and tactically pivot. Putting the data center thing aside, which of course is the most acute in the US, we're still doing a lot of solar and batteries, and we're still doing a lot of particularly green fuels we find very attractive in the United States. Despite the tariff profile they're making construction costs and procurement cost more expensive, but there are still very fertile territories to be exploring in the US market. So I would say we have slightly detuned our focus there in terms of overall capital allocation. It's far more specific in the things that we're doing. Liquid fuel solutions, for decarbonizing, data center backup generation, things like that we find fascinating, and we're going all in on those sectors, which we think the US is probably the best market in the world I'd say in Europe the overall return profile has improved for what we do anyway from what it was five years ago, where we stuck to our needing in the UK. UK it's a tougher market to develop to the return targets that we seek. We're seeing some pockets of opportunity now merging into Coloneal Europe that wouldn't have met our return targets before, and I think that's partly out of necessity as well. And so I think that the opportunity set is broadening in Europe, it's still not quite at the same level of return opportunity for the sectors that we're pursuing in the United States. And the one big change in the last five years I also should have mentioned the first conversation is Australia. In our opinion for what we do right now, Australia is the most attractive market in the OECD for US to develop these customer centric solutions aimed at industrial decarbonization. At this moment in time, Australia is top of the pops for US across all of our markets. And so the ability to pivot and refocus your efforts from your thematic focus and the capital deployment in the markets that are offering you that value added returnal opportunities are hugely employed. It has always been important because this market, as you know we met back in the nineties, has moved in a series of closing and opening windows and doors, and whether that's technologically or regulatory, or market or customer driven, it's really the ability to anticipate those openings and anticipate those closings. And right now it's actually a very fertile time to be investing in all of those markets, but very subject to what you choose to do.
Speaker 1: David, can I just ask you very quick about Australia. There is the Australian opportunity there specifically because the fact that just solar and batteries makes economic sense given just the high levels of radiation or is it something else.
Speaker 2: It's a combination of things.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Firstly, they're closing a huge amount of coal plant in Australia and it just needs to be replaced. Number two, we don't tariff solar and batteries in Australia. We import them all from China pretty much, but we get them at wholesale compare they're triple the cost in the United States. Yeah, we've got one of the best solar radiances anywhere in the world. That solar irradiance and the land and now transmission system in certain areas can be developed at scale. In areas where we have a carbon intensive, electricity intensive industry that's desperately seeking to decarbonize, located right next to deepwater export ports to law Asia, it's just got a lot going for it. And I give this speech at conferences going back to Adam Smith and the Wealth of Nations where we talked about a country's factor endowment and you think about what is wealth at a national level? Really, where's its genesis? These days it's no different And that's what really where Australia is coming into its own at the moment. It's got everything, It's got an abundance of everything. Its endowment is all of the above and a little bit like the US as well, very different to Europe, very different to the UK, very different islands, very different to Colonel Europe. It isn't and all of the above abundance. But I think if you think about how you exploit the energy transition profitably critical minerals supply chains, Australia sits right at the very intersection of this next era of industrial resiliency and self sufficiency.
Speaker 3: David, it's a treat to have you. Unfortunately you need to wait another five years to come back.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, we'll do another retrospective.
Speaker 1: No, it's really great.
Speaker 3: So congratulation on your work and we always learn a lot and I like the fact that you are a first mover. That's great. So congratulations and thank you for coming on the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Jess Pleasure as always, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for that, Dave Lauren. I'm always blown away by David because listen, my job is also to look in the future and see what's going on. But I talk about it, he doesn't. It's just very impressive, you know. That's all. I would just say.
Speaker 3: Superb that's the title of the episode, and it's probably the most important things that he has said. It's this world of virtual we need to go physical.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we need to go physical. Well set exactly.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening to Redefining Energy.
Speaker 1: Don't forget to read the show and subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or the platform of your choice.