Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio and happen. You know, just there's some days, like every day where I just feel the need. And the opinion piece was the super Bowl, and I'm paraphrasing the headline, super Bowl is proof that New Orleans can show us how to come back from the wildfire, or LA can come back.
Speaker 2: Just like New Orleans came back.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, listen, I understand the devastation that has happened with the LA wildfires. When you look at Altadena and the Pacific Palisades, that ain't no Hurricane Katrina. Hurricane Katrina with what fourteen hundred people killed that was That's what they were comparing in this opinion piece was if New Orleans can come back from Katrina, we can come back from.
Speaker 2: The fires in LA.
Speaker 1: Like there there's no comparison between those two things.
Speaker 3: Well, and you think about it.
Speaker 1: You know, fourteen hundred people killed in Katrina, thirty killed in the wildfires, all all devastation. Right, I'm not it's not a competition, but you know, one hundred and seventy billion dollars of damage from Katrina at fifty billion and some of the highest priced homes you're talking about to do account for that, But I mean there's just I don't even need to break down the numbers.
Speaker 2: There's no comparison.
Speaker 4: Well and the I mean this is twenty years later. I mean there's a certain aspect of yeah, I mean after twenty years, yeah, you're gonna be recovered and there will be that. We here in LA have to deal with the pressure of World Cup, have to deal with the pressure of oh, I don't know, the Olympics that are coming up now. I'm not saying that we can't do it.
Speaker 1: But it's it's it's it's definitely a truncated amount of time that we have to get ready for a large event. But I think that they and I didn't read the whole article because I thought the premise was ridiculous on its face, so I just basically read that headline. But I think that they weren't just talking about getting ready for a big event. They're time out like the city in general, which is different because Hurricane Katrina wiped out the entire French Quarter, like their entire livelihood of New Orleans was wiped out. This was not that La is not comparable to New Orleans in any sort of way possible.
Speaker 3: That is a good point.
Speaker 4: I mean that as much as devastating as the fires.
Speaker 2: Are, people aren't going to stop coming to La.
Speaker 4: Well, and it's still I mean, percentage wise, it's a tiny percentage of acreage, a tiny percentage of the number of homes, and arguably a tiny percentage of the number of people affected. That's not to say that we're not all affected in some way, but those that were directly impacted is a small number.
Speaker 1: Katrina's killed generations of people, scores of people, wiped out the heart of the city. Come on, why does it say in the show run Down Louvila u via Okay?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 3: Because that is Spanish for rain.
Speaker 2: The rain's not here, you know, but it's til tomorrow.
Speaker 4: It's been on the nine o'clock segment for the last couple of weeks because it seems like we go a couple of days without rain, and then we get some rain, and then we get no rain.
Speaker 2: In the Uvula? Is that right? Uvula?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Isn't that the same name of the that's.
Speaker 3: The thing that's hanging down in the back of your throat.
Speaker 2: Why are they the same word? It's not, it's not. It just sounds the same. U via u va is rain.
Speaker 1: Is rain u va, U viola l l u v I a right, u via u vah. Yeah, yeah, you view lah, you view yah and u vuolau vula.
Speaker 2: I think we should tell the story about what.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, this is a.
Speaker 1: Great story and if you haven't heard it, you're in for a t in honor.
Speaker 3: Of my late father. Yes, my wife and.
Speaker 4: I had at the time still dating. We're at my parents house for the very first time, I mean overnight, spent the weekend and everything, and gathered around the kitchen table first thing on Saturday morning, wearing sweats, a little cup of coffee, just the old Saturday morning relaxed. My wife lets out a yawn, and from across the table, my dad says, I gets see your vulva.
Speaker 3: It never gets old.
Speaker 4: And I am sitting closest to him.
Speaker 3: And could not figure out how to get out of that.
Speaker 4: I said, Dad, I think you meant I think you meant uvula. And he said, yeah, what did I say?
Speaker 2: What did you say?
Speaker 3: I didn't say anything.
Speaker 4: I said, you did not say u vula. I didn't want to repeat it.
Speaker 1: And then what was your mom at the table too? I don't know she's in she's in the kitchen. What was your soon to be wife, Well, not soon enough, since you drug your heels, But what was your girlfriend at the time?
Speaker 2: What was her reaction?
Speaker 4: I vaguely remember her just freezing, but also giggling at like in the moment, you can't, you.
Speaker 2: Can't not because she thought, oh my gosh, did he right? You gotta look down, like where what's going on? It's happening down there. Oh, that's such a great story.
Speaker 1: Fun and another I mean, there's so many reasons why it's a great story. One of them is that uvula is not a word to just throw out in breakfast conversation.
Speaker 2: It's not not a lot of people. Even vulva certainly not breakfast fodder.
Speaker 1: But uvula is a word that most people.
Speaker 2: Don't even know. It's not even most people's perview, So.
Speaker 1: It's not like something that's just a common thing like oh, I can see your tonsils, I can see your uvula.
Speaker 2: I can see your vulva.
Speaker 4: I would is so much preferred, he said, tonsils. It's hard to screw that.
Speaker 3: One right.
Speaker 2: Esophagus.
Speaker 1: Really anything other than you vula slash vulva anyway?
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, moving on? Uh so, maybe we should.
Speaker 1: Just start writing rain at the top of the show instead of what I considered to be I just think it's funny.
Speaker 3: It's been there for two weeks and you noticed it today.
Speaker 1: I've seen it before, but I thought that we just got busy and skipped over it. So and it was a story that was new, like dear to your Heart, So you kept putting it on there so that we'd eventually get to it.
Speaker 4: No, and I don't know, how do you spell uvula is uvu la?
Speaker 2: That looks right? Okay, yeah, a looks right. I'll just continue to put hellos and chit chat. That's a great idea. Let's not bring up volvas anymore.
Speaker 1: Elon Musk, right, start guys. Elon Musk says he has found good people in the federal government. And this is one of those stories that people will ignore the pearl clutchers or or the people that are just worried about their jobs. And I understand that, but they are listening to people in the federal government. They are identifying the people that are doing a good job. And they're identifying the people who know where the fat should be cut. So that's good news. We'll get into it when we come back.
Speaker 5: Hey, Gary Shannon is pronounced to uvia.
Speaker 2: That's what I said, u via yuvia, uvia.
Speaker 4: What did you say? I don't know what he thinks I said. He thinks you at uvula was what you said?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Which is the thing right?
Speaker 3: Anyway?
Speaker 1: The Oregon Zoo in Portland is welcomed a new baby elephant. Thirty year old Asian elephant Rose two gave birth at the zoo last weekend after twenty months of pregnancy. That thing was cooking for a while. You know why because when it came out, guess how much it weighed?
Speaker 3: Four hundred pounds.
Speaker 2: Two hundred pounds. Oh, don't be ridiculous.
Speaker 1: It was a female, but staff are giving the pair time to bond before conducting a first checkup to confirm its weight and sex. They don't they think it's a They think it's a female, but it may not be.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: They got to ask it. Hey, how do you identify? Steve Lefebve oversees the Zoo's elephant program. He says it might be a while before the baby is ready for visitors. He said the staff wants to make sure the calf continues to do well and that the mother is calm with people around. How about just let the elephants live their lives and not deal with people.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't that be nice to just live in a zoo and not have to deal with other people?
Speaker 3: Just close the zoo?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like it, wouldn't that be nice? Picture of this? You're an elephant?
Speaker 3: Go on?
Speaker 1: Would you rather just live your life and your elephant enclosure as opposed to being out in the wild, which you would prefer, But if you had to, that's fine, I guess right. And wouldn't you rather have that than a bunch of idiots like you and me.
Speaker 3: Just gawking gawking at.
Speaker 4: You, yelling, hey, elephant, hey, let me see your private parts?
Speaker 2: Is that what you do at the zoo?
Speaker 4: No, I'm saying because they're trying to figure out what the baby elephant is?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: What kind of private parts to elephants have? Do they have the normal ones?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Interesting? How do you know that?
Speaker 3: Because they're mammals?
Speaker 2: Oh, all mammals have the thing.
Speaker 4: I'm going to go I'm gonna go out on a lem and say yes to stop doing that with your hands. Lakers, Luka Donca got off to a good start with fourteen points twenty four minutes on their way to a one thirty two, one to thirteen win over the Jazz. So the Lakers have now won six in six in a row. That's the longest wind streak so far of the season. Super Bowl average one hundred and twenty six million viewers across all platforms. If that number holds, it will be the second straight year that the Super Bowl has set an all time viewing record in the United States.
Speaker 3: So whoever says the Super.
Speaker 4: Bowl is dying, I don't know who is saying that, but two years in that they broke their own record.
Speaker 1: Coming up in True Crime Tuesday, a thirteen year old girl was walking along an empty road in rural Oregon. She was kidnapped and her body was found shortly after. Soon after, more teenagers started going missing. This is the story of the Ghosts of Highway twenty and we will bring it to you.
Speaker 2: Coming up in the noon hour.
Speaker 4: Carrion shedded, I love Body Part Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're not doing body there.
Speaker 1: Carl sounded like Carl, Hey, Well, I was a body part Tuesday, because.
Speaker 4: We're talking about the uvlas and other parts. Elon Musk says he's been impressed by some of the workers that he's encountered in his quest to cut the federal government.
Speaker 1: And this was one of my questions. Are they going in and just cutting willy nilly or are they digging into the different government agencies and finding out who does what? Till I've made the reference before the office space reference, do they bring in the bobs and have the conversations of what is it you do here? And it seems like they are having those conversations. Yes, it's probably terrifying if you are for the federal government and you don't know if your job is going to be cut and what you're going to do, and it's terrifying, I would imagine. But it does seem like they are talking to rank and file employees well.
Speaker 4: And the painting of the picture where it's Elon Musk and a bunch of computer nerds or go in and just hit delete on everything is not true because the Department of Government Efficiency, at least specifically when it comes to the Department of Treasury, has gone in and sat down with and asked questions of people who work in the Department of the Treasury, who specifically know the inner workings of how treasury works, how bills are paid, how we do the business of the Department of Treasury, and ask them where do you see the biggest problems? What are you thinking are areas that can be tightened up or cut or just fixed so that they're not a waste of money.
Speaker 1: I feel like no greater victory nor defeat is had in the management level of any sort of office. You have great managers, it's fantastic. You have bad managers, it's hell. They found that in some cases that there were a lot of these rank and file employees who knew what to do, wanted to be more efficient, knew the way things should go, but were prevented doing so by prior bad middle management types, people that only like to cover their own ass and not worry about how things would work better.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm again, I'm cautiously optimistic about whatever Elon Musk is doing. I do say and I do advocate for there being a bit more public accountability on this. I mean, I know that he's busy, but I would like to know more specifically the things that he is going for right now, and there can be updates from the Department of Government Efficiency every single day. Here's what we did today, or here's what we're looking at today, or here's the system that we think can be fixed, trimmed, spruced up, whatever it is.
Speaker 1: And there may be corporate like incentives for people that have never experienced that in the government worker world. He wrote, Musket did that we want to empower these people to make the sensible decisions they've always wanted to make in reduction of fraud and waste, and that would be massive, but they've been stopped from doing this from those middle managers. He said, we should reward those in government who do the right thing. That might be something new instead of just well they can't fire me, and I'm just going to earn the same paycheck no matter what. That's just such a dangerous way of going through life of just this guaranteed employment and don't make waves and don't go above and beyond and just do the minimum and you're not going to get fired and you're not going to get more money. Who's going to strive in that kind of environment. Who's gonna thrive? I guess I should say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're not. I mean, but it becomes inertia. Inertia becomes the issue there where you start doing it after a while and you realize, oh, there is very little expectation of me.
Speaker 3: I don't have to get the hell out.
Speaker 4: I just have to do this thing, and I'm guaranteed a certain amount of income slash lifestyle and.
Speaker 1: Some of its personal pride that you know you've got to have that you've got to.
Speaker 2: Bring to a job like that.
Speaker 1: And there are people like that who work with immense amounts of personal pride and it doesn't matter that they can't be fired and they'll make the same They'll still want to knock it out of the park every day.
Speaker 4: That's a good that's character. Yes, I mean, that's someone with incredible character. K IF I am six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App speaking of old.
Speaker 1: The fiftieth anniversary celebration of SNL is so big it's not even on Saturday. It's gonna air Sunday. It's going to be three hours live SNL fifty The Inn of Our Street celebration will assemble a dream team of stars alumni like Tina Fey, Eddie Murphy, Dave Chappelle, Steve Martin, four of the surviving original cast members surviving. That sounds so dire, like they were in a wreck. Musical guests of Who's Who essentially Paul McCartney, Bad Bunny, Miley Cyrus, Sabrina Carpenter. This will be Sunday at eight pm Eastern on NBC.
Speaker 3: Did you ever watch that movie about Saturday Night?
Speaker 2: I did not.
Speaker 1: Well, I feel like my parents never watched it, so I never watched it growing up in the eighties and nineties, and then I kind of got into it periodically from time to time, but I was never a regular watcher of it, which I feel like is a I should get into it because it was bad when I had the when I had become old enough to have appreciation for it and humor and things like that. It was when it was going through its bad times, like it's not funny times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you know they've had waves.
Speaker 2: Rod's been a roller.
Speaker 4: This morning, there was a pretty bad crash wrong way driver on the southbound lanes of the four H five in Sherman Oaks heading into the Sumpalita Pass Line. Incident reported just after four o'clock a wrong way driver spotted going northbound in the southbound lanes on the side of the freeway. At least one person was killed. There was also a person killed in an airplane crash yesterday. This again, this has nothing to do with FAA. It's not Trump's fault, it's not There was a plane whose landing gear failed. That plane happened to be owned by Vince Neil from Motley Crue. According to the filing by the Wyoming Secretary of State, he was not on board. It's believed that the pilot of that plane was killed, and apparently Vince Neil's girlfriend.
Speaker 3: May have been on board.
Speaker 4: But again, that was at a plane in Scottsdale. Accident in Scottsdale. Well. President Trump is going to be hosting King Abdullah the Second of Jordan at the White House today. Obviously the topic of Gaza refugees will be at the top of the list. If you remember, President Trump a short time ago, just a couple of days ago, had said.
Speaker 3: I think we should have hostages out by noon. As far as.
Speaker 5: I'm concerned, if all of the hostages aren't returned by Saturday at twelve o'clock, I think it's an appropriate time I would say, cancel it and all bets are off and let hell break out.
Speaker 4: Okay, I just want to say he's not the one who dictates policy for Israel, but the BBC just in the last few minutes reported about Benjamin Nett Yahoo, the Prime Minister of Israel, and his full statement on this, He says, I just concluded an in depth four hour discussion in the Political Security Cabinet. We expressed outrage at the shocking situation of our three hostages who were released last Saturday. Listen, They've been treated like hell for sixteen months and then raided in front of a bunch of Gaza militants.
Speaker 3: He said.
Speaker 4: We also welcomed President Trump's demand for the release of our hostages by Saturday noon, and we will also we all also welcome to the President's revolutionary vision for the vision for the future of Gasa.
Speaker 1: It's a very precarious situation, this alleged truce that is in place, the ceasefire is set to elapse. This is going to be in March unless Hamas and Israel negotiate an extension. Ibraham Delasa is the director of the Horizon Center of political research group in the West Bank. He says it's likely that they will reach a compromise before Saturday, but this crisis is a prelude for that much bigger crisis that is coming when the ceasefire is set to elapse in early March.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it ain't going to get that long.
Speaker 4: The statement from net Yahoo makes it very clear that unless all of the remaining hostage I think there are seventeen Israeli hostages still held in Gaza that they believe, and eight of those are already dead. And the statement had said that if there is no hostage released, I'm sorry if for some reason Gaza does Hamas does not release the hostages from Gaza, that Israel will follow basically what President Trump said, and all hell is going to break loose. And already today we know that Israeli defense forces have amassed inside and around Gaza, I mean currently ongoing, and that the placement of those troops, he says, will be complete within the next few hours, ready to go in if necessary.
Speaker 1: So this meeting is going to be a big deal at the White House with the King of Jordan, because prior to that, let hell all break loose, news breaking as Trump saying that we should send the Palestinians away from Gozen into places like Jordan. That is going to be met with extreme resistance from King Abdullah. Now Trump is doubling down, threatened, threatening to withhold aid to places like Jordan if they don't go along with his plan. So this is going to be a chippy meeting probably, yeah, I mean he has said.
Speaker 4: Trump said that he believes the King Abdullah and other leaders there in the in the Middle East, Arab world leaders that they would take in Palestinians because his quote, they have good hearts.
Speaker 1: That's not what the king is saying. Beat That is not we don't want them here.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Coming up next, good news, good news, the chances of an asteroid hitting Earth has nearly doubled.
Speaker 4: I mean, let's go, we're still low single digits.
Speaker 2: But you're saying there's a chance, Yeah, there's a chance.
Speaker 1: Representative Nancy May's detailed accusations detailed to a t accusations of rape and sexual abuse about her ex fiance in a speech on the House floor, laying out people, names.
Speaker 2: Pictures, and the experts.
Speaker 1: Issue is not that we should be blaming her if this is all true, but the fact that she laid out all these people untouchable, really, if there was any untruth to this untouchable because she was acting within her legislative duties locally.
Speaker 4: Rain coming in tomorrow morning. Bigger threat, of course, is going to be Thursday. That's going to be the big day. I like County public Works crews have been creating additional capacity in the debris basins. They've installed thousands of feet of concrete barriers ahead of the rain. Crews have also put out sandbags, compost filter socks, those little bag looking things, type of a burm. They said that they're going to try to prevent any mud from flowing into storm drains and out into the ocean, especially in those fire zones.
Speaker 1: The chances of an asteroid striking Earth within the next decade has doubled in a matter of weeks. The universe has taking a look at what we're up to and said, you know what, maybe we wipe it out.
Speaker 3: Let's start over.
Speaker 4: The asteroid we've talked about before, discovered just after Christmas. It's named twenty twenty four. Y R four could strike the planet in December of twenty thirty two. It approaches during another journey around its orbit. When the detection of the asteroid was announced last month, NASA said it had about a one point three percent probability of hitting Earth. One point three percent has increased to two point one percent. Now they are taking it seriously enough that an international team of astronomers has been actually granted use of the James Webb Space Telescope to look at this thing to figure out specifically how big it is and how much damage it would do if, in fact it made contact with the surface of the Earth.
Speaker 1: Have we called Bruce Willis, called Ben Affleck?
Speaker 2: No? Have we called lived Tyland Nobody.
Speaker 3: We haven't called anybody yet.
Speaker 4: Those phone calls don't take place until it's about a five percent chance.
Speaker 1: We have nothing to worry about here, everybody. If you were hoping for the asteroid to hit your as out of luck.
Speaker 2: It's not going to happen or not. I mean it could, I gut a chance.
Speaker 4: They said it in the asteroids about ninety meters about three hundred feet wide as football field wide. It's sizable basically about the Statue of Liberty or Big Ben if you're in London. And they said that this could if it made impact, it would have an impact similar to the Tungusca asteroid in Siberia in nineteen oh eight.
Speaker 2: Tell me more about that one.
Speaker 4: Hundred andy square miles gone.
Speaker 2: Is that what created Siberia? Is that why Siberia is Siberia?
Speaker 3: Siberia? Now, I'm pretty sure it was kind of colden.
Speaker 1: Really, so it just happened to hit Siberia as opposed to like Paris.
Speaker 2: Yeah, interesting, could you imagine? Wow, what are the odds that it hits nothing? Nothing?
Speaker 4: I mean there were forests there that don't exist. I mean immediately after it happened, it didn't exist.
Speaker 1: But there was another article that I saw kind of in the same vein this morning about Earth's inner core maybe changing shape. Oh yeah, well the study that found the core structure appears to be changing as it rotates, Its soft surface deforms almost like it's creating hills and valleys. And then the next big bold Face headline was should you worry? If you're worried about the Earth's inner cores shape changing, you've won life, Like if that's on your list of worries. Not how am I going to get to work with that broken rim? Or how am I going to pay for first and last month's rent? Or is my kid going to end up a heroin addict or whatever. People worry about you have a tough morning apparently, geez, I'm just saying, should you worry about that? What are you talking about? Should you worry about that? Why are we telling people they should be worrying about things that they cannot control. You can't control the Earth's changing shape of its core? Oh well, there you. What the hell are you going to do by worrying about it?
Speaker 4: Can you control whether the asteroid hits the Earth? No, or even if it hits.
Speaker 1: That's why I said in the same vein, what are you going to get out of worrying about the asteroid in the impending doom that will befall us? Nothing? Worry about something you can control. Worry about eating four cupcakes for lunch, or just the.
Speaker 2: One who has four cupcakes.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about getting cupcakes for your Super Bowl party, and I haven't stopped thinking about them because I saw them in the bake and they looked incredible, and I thought, I'm going to get cupcakes, and I was like, don't get cupcakes.
Speaker 2: This is in a third grade party. Get the cake.
Speaker 4: Somebody left an empty donut box on my seat in the office.
Speaker 3: Weird. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I looked at it and I thought, oh, donuts. Somebody brought donuts and I open it up and it's empty. Did they think they left over?
Speaker 1: Brought the donuts from your super Bowl party? And I wanted the discarded box. I have no idea, why are people so.
Speaker 4: My wife actually offered to get donuts on Sunday morning because she said donuts and mimosa sound great, and I was like.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, but that's before the party.
Speaker 4: Well that was before the party, and then when she saw the line at the donuts store, she was like, nah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, if you start the day with donuts and mimosas in your hosting super Bowl, that is a long day.
Speaker 4: She would have taken a nap. Yeah, one around kickoff if she said.
Speaker 3: To hey, Gary and Shannon, this is John from Norco.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: My grandma's from Kentucky and we used to love writing with her in her volvo because she would always tell us kids, all right, kids, let's go.
Speaker 3: Get in the volva.
Speaker 4: If you missed that first part of the show, go back and listen to the podcast.
Speaker 1: I want to know how old he was when he realized what that word meant.
Speaker 2: You know, because if you grow.
Speaker 1: Up like that and you're just throwing around volva, you know, yeah, my grandma's vulva. We were in my grandma's volva the other day. Oh boy, you know what I mean. If you get real weird, real quick, listen to the podcast.
Speaker 4: Go to KFIAM six forty dot com, slash Gary and Shannon or anywhere you listen to your podcast.
Speaker 3: Just type in Gary.
Speaker 2: Janni's vulva as old. You know what I mean. There's so many things that you could get in trouble with.
Speaker 3: It's all broken down.
Speaker 2: Yeah weird, Nope, no.
Speaker 3: No, no more.
Speaker 2: Go a lot of places with this.
Speaker 3: Gary and Shannon might continue after this. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 4: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the Heart Radio app