Speaker 1: It's nights with Dan Ray. I'm telling you easy Boston Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, we have reached the twentieth hour, the last hour of the week. As I think all of you know that. We call it the twentieth hour pretty simply because we broadcast twenty hours a week on a full week. We're here Monday through Friday from eight until midnight. We being myself and Rob Brooks, the producer of the program. Rob is at the broadcast house in Medford. I'm broadcasting from a remote location. And of course we're on four hours a night, five nights a week, so five times fo is twenty. I remember my multiplication tables from grammar school. And we're going to open up a conversation tonight and the twentieth hour in which was suggested to me today by Marita. Okay, and it connects with me. I hope it connects with you. In a moment, I'm going to go over what we've done this week. It's always amazing different subjects we have discussed this week. I'll get to that in a second. But for those of you who are interested in the twentieth hour, and again everyone has a hall pass this week, so of course if you called earlier this week, even if you called tonight, Hall Pass supplies and you can call. So the question is really simple. Doesn't matter how old you are, doesn't matter what your status in life was. Do you remember your first car? Not the first car that was given to you or the first car that you might have used. I guess if you want to consider it that way, now, the first car that you actually bought. I will tell you about my first car, and I want to know what you paid for it too. Imagine what trying to get a new car today if you were a young person, forty fifty dollars in so many of these cars. And I know that there are cars that are less than that, but cars have become really expensive, but you need them. You need a car. For the most part. We always fight for cars, and we talk about bike lanes and all of that stuff. But I just will like to reminisce your first car, the first car that really was your car, something that you purchased. What was it? We'll talk about that this week. You know, it's funny. The week sometimes can seem very long when you're working to put together shows for five nights. But we started off this week talking with a teacher and a high school student from Lexington High School who were involved in a tournament coming up in August, dealing excuse me. In June in Atlanta, Georgia about financial literacy, talked about flood lighting, which is a new dating trend where people often on the rebound, have their first dates with people and all they do is tell them about their past problems. It's called floodlighting. We spoke with Sharif Mityas. He is CEO of a company called Bricks Holdings. They bring restaurants, particularly former restaurant chains, out of bankruptcy, and they're doing that right now with Friendli's Restaurants. As a matter of fact, talked with him last night for an hour because he was such a good guest. And then we talked about with a professor from Holy Cross, Professor Matthew Schwaltz. On Monday night about the death of Pope Francis. Talked with Father Jonathan Gaspar of Saint Mary's in Brookline and the passing of Pope Francis, and then heard from you about for an hour about the your reaction of the passing of the Pope, and we talked about Gail King's objections to people who said that it wasn't really quite what you'd call a space mission, but it was kind of a space ride on Blue Origin. You might remember that. On Tuesday night, we talked with Bob Collings so the American Harrod Museum out Hudson Mass. Talk with John Wilson, one of the few parents who essentially was indicted in the Varsity Blues case. Although he was convicted, it was overturned on appeal. Talked with John Schultz about how gen Z students think college is a waste of time and money. Talk with Phil Tracy previewing the Karen Reid opening remarks at trial, which started on Tuesday, the opening statements from the defense and the prosecution. During the nine o'clock hour. Talked with Professor Gregg Styler of the Boston University Question School of Business about the latest on the tariffs. It's a tough day on the market on Tuesday, and then we talked about confidence or lack thereof in President Trump's economic plans. On Wednesday night, talked about Fyco scores with the woman named Adriana o'connos. Fifty three of the American public does not know what a Fyco score is. They're pretty important. Talk with Susan Shapiro about the complexity of female friendships. Talk with Bruce Robinson about Lowell's Lowell General's Hospital, low General Hospital's teamwork walk for Cancer Cure, and talk with doctor Shirah Drone about the CDC lifting a broad COVID vaccine requirements. Talk with tick me and Dan about ticks on Wednesday night at nine spent an hour, actually an hour and a half with him, and then at eleven we talked about the elimination of red dyes in our foods. Hats off by the FDA. Hats off to Health and Human Services Secretary Robert Kennedy Robert F. Kennedy Junior on that one last talked. Talked last night with Samantha Joseph of the ADL here in New England about a rise of anti Semitism sadly in Massachusetts. Talked with Bett Beth o'maio about a charity that basically collects coats for people called One Warm. Colt talked about self leed living a Connected life with an author named Seth Coppold. Wasn't quite sure about that one, but I was. I was interested. And then to talk with Julio Vincent Gambudo his book please unsubscribe, Thanks, And talk with state Representative Steve Smith, he's actually the assistant a speaker Deputy Speaker in the House of Representatives in New Hampshire. They want to get rid of car inspections across the board up there for private vehicles. Commercial vehicles would be able to participate, would would have to get inspected. And then we spent an hour talking about reaction to that, and then had that hour with Shariff mitt yas Yes about the CEO of BRIGS holdings about if they're bringing back friendlies, and then tonight talked about Irish step dancing with an Irish step dancer and her coach. Talked with the gentleman co founder of the Boston Pizza Festival, gian Carlo Natali, talked with Ben Heller who's boxing Haymakers for Hope, a great organization, and talked with Genesis Carl about Massachusetts students not doing well in their math scores at all levels. And talk with Dan Delaney about this piece of legislation which I'm opposed to, which would eliminate life without parole in Massachusetts. So having said that, we're going to go to the phone calls. Right after. My question is do you remember your first car? What was it and how much did you pay for it. I'm not talking about the first car your parents let you borrow. That wasn't your car, it was a parent's car, but maybe the first car that you actually bought, and was it? How inexpensive was it depending upon your age and love to reminisce. This is not my idea, this is Maritas. So come on, you Marina fans out there aka Lightning's Lightning. We try to present on Friday night in the twentieth hour, something that is fun and we don't have to have very deep, serious conversations. I want you to go into the weekend. I'm going to the weekend happy guys. They're going to meet about a I don't know about one hundred of you this weekend at our night side brunch. This is our first night side brunch. Maybe there'll be a second. I have no guarantee you of that, that's for sure, but we have about one hundred and seventy eight reservations at Niroli's Restaurant in Westwood on Sunday. We have a seating at eleven for brunch and a seating for twelve thirty, and I'm looking forward to meeting so many of you. Here are the numbers. I got one line at six one, seven, two, five, four to ten thirty. Two lines at six one seven, nine three one, ten thirty. Your first car, the first one that you actually paid hard cold cash, probably not a lot of hard cold cash by today's standards. What was that car? And do you fondly remember it? I remember mine, I know you'll remember yours. It's almost like the first kiss. You know what I'm saying. We'll be back on Nightside after this.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on w Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All Right, your first car, the first car you actually bought, Not the first car that mom and dad let you use, or maybe that your big brother a Big Sis lets you use. Your first car. Mine was a Dodge Dart. It was a brown Dodge Dart. I thought it was a pretty cool car. It's kept it for many years. I think I paid about twenty five hundred dollars for it. While I was in law school. My aunt worked at a dealership and it was one of my favorite and so though I had many several favorite aunts, but this was aunt Mary, and she called me one day and said, hey, we got a great We got to a Dodge Dart in here and I think you like it. And I went in, looked at it, fell in love with the car. The car was great, It was a safe car, didn't cost a lot of money for gas. I had a couple of friends of mine who played in the Chicago Bulls back in the day, and I remember the two of them trying to get in the car. It was like they sort of looked like pretzels. But you know, we got from the garden back to the hotel and then a few beers. One of them is a guy named those are who are basketball fans? Jack Marin played with the Bulls a whole bunch of teams. He was a first round draft choice of the old Baltimore Bullets, and Jack is a great guy, a great friend to this day. After playing in the NBA for about thirteen seasons, Jack went he was a duke guy. Of course, Duke always said great basketball players. And Jack went back to law school and practiced law for many years in North Carolina, and I still talk to him. He's also very much involved in a program called Hope for the Warriors, but I remember I had him and I think it was Bob Love who was their center. And these guys, their knees were like up at their face. They said, don't work, guys, just relaxed, breathe out, don't breathe in, breathe out. We'll get you back to the hotel. The Dodge Dart. Yeah, there are a few few good trips, man. I remember one time picking up Phil Esposito in the car. Was playing for the Bruins, and Phil was you know, he wasn't the size for basketball player, but you know, he was fine with it. A lot of fun Dodge Dart. I think it was like a seventy two or something and I probably got it in seventy. It was. It was just one of those cars that was in great shape. My aunt was at the dealership and she said, this is a car you want. And Aunt Mary, God love you wherever you are now. You were right in that one. Let's go to Laurie and Idaho. Laurie, what was your first car and how much did you pay for it?
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, I dated a guy in college. He had a powder blue Dodge Dart. But I think it was a little bigger than your ear But a nineteen eighty three VWGTI Rabbit style for eight thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: That's not bad.
Speaker 3: No, it was technically used, but only like by first eight months. Really, how long did you keep that I sold it?
Speaker 2: You might have sold it a.
Speaker 3: Well, no, not not really, because it was there was a guy who really wanted it in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: So ways, so you kept that car for how long?
Speaker 3: Eighty three to twenty one?
Speaker 4: Whoa, WHOA?
Speaker 2: WHOA?
Speaker 5: What car?
Speaker 2: You kept that car for almost thirty years?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I did it.
Speaker 3: It ended up being the odometer cracked out. I think it was at least two hundred and fifty thousand at least.
Speaker 4: But and I just and it was.
Speaker 3: It was my second car by that time. It was my two errands in town car.
Speaker 4: But I loved it. I wanted one.
Speaker 3: A guy who worked for my dad had one, and I think his was a year earlier than mine. It was still the rabbit style, not the rounded style.
Speaker 2: Okay, And I got to jump a picture. I'm pulling up a picture on my screen. Give me what type of car that was? Again?
Speaker 3: Nineteen eighty three VWGTI black.
Speaker 2: Okay, nineteen eighty three DW GTI black. Let's see if I could get a picture of Laurie's car. Come on, baby, Oh yeah, I've even named it.
Speaker 4: I loved it.
Speaker 3: They only made it for a couple three years, and then they changed when Rabbit went away and they changed to the Golf. They still had a GTI then, but I wanted one since my father's you know, employee had this thing, and so my roommate boyfriends. It was fun, it was great to drive. It was it was one of the original pocket rockets. And you know about all of my car is twenty five.
Speaker 4: Mils a go. They've all been about that.
Speaker 3: I mean, it wasn't it wasn't a cast saver, but but it was. It was so much fun to drive. And my room, my roommate's sister's boyfriend worked at Barringer Bolkswagen in New Hampshire and for whatever reason, I may guess it was out of there was looking for one and she's, well, you know, ron sisters went up there. So I told my parents and I got the financing and my mom, my mom drove me up there and she followed me home.
Speaker 5: And I loved that car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't understand why if to keep the car twenty eight years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I put money into it. I put money into it every.
Speaker 6: Course of time.
Speaker 3: But it was a simple car, and it was a standard transmission and it you know, there wasn't much that could go wrong on it if you'd.
Speaker 4: Stay on top of it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and I named it.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at I'm looking at the picture here, I'm looking. I just I did google it nineteen eighty three. Vw gg I black love it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was a fun little car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and you had there's enough room in there, you know, I mean you weren't. No, it wasn't an suv, but it was.
Speaker 3: No way, it wasn't this, but it was the backseat. It fit my dog, That's what mattered. And and I just it was so hard to sell it, and I really you didn't want to. But then the FedEx guy in the area was at the neighbor's house, and the neighbor called me and said, uh, Phillips, guys, here, what stuff? You're selling that car? And I said no. But then I ended up where I had to move and I couldn't take three cars with me. So he really loved them. He loved vw is the point that he had one of those horribly ugly pickup truck things.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, so you you bought it in New Hampshire and you sold it in New Hampshire.
Speaker 3: No, I sld it in Montana.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, so you.
Speaker 3: I took it out to Montana.
Speaker 2: Yes, well that's that's a workhorse. That's a great that's a great story, Laurie, very strong start. Thank you so much. I got full line here. Oh thanks, so okay, great story, great story. Let me go to Scott and Quincy. Scott, I think I know you pretty well. I have no idea what your first car would be.
Speaker 4: Go right ahead, Well that would be in nineteen sixty at the Black hard Top.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now that's that's a class that was that The first year was Mustang. Was Mustang sixty.
Speaker 4: Five sixty five. And you would know where I bought it, because if I told you at the car lot on Route one thirty five by the Denisen crossing in Framingham, would you would know that?
Speaker 2: I'm sir, yeah, wow, what'd you pay for that car? Did you buy a new?
Speaker 4: No? It was used in uh. I was a junior in high school at Dover Sherburn in seventy seven and I paid eight hundred bucks for it, So that was yes, and if only I have it now. And I learned to drive in my grandmother's nineteen seventy one Plymouth Scamp, which was Plymouth's version of the Dart back in the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wasn't, though I loved the Dart. I remember driving my Dart. I was living at that point in downtown Boston and at Longfellow Place, and one night coming back from WBZ was actually I remember remembers the Blizzard of seventy eight. A couple of weeks beforehand, there was another big snowstorm that wasn't the Blizzard of seventy eight, but it's a substantial snowstorm. And so I'm driving in down the ramp at night, midnight, coming back from working on WBZ. And you know, the ramp that is right after Clarendon Street is kind of underneath where you know Berkeley Gess was like the burs Okay, I went down there, hits a patch of ice because it had snowed, and then the snow had melted and it froze. As I'm going down that lamp, I swear to god I did a three sixty. There was nobody else in the road. I just went with it and it never touched either either wall. I did a three sixty, and once I was underneath into the tunnel, obviously it was wet, but I was able to regain control of the car drove it home. Oh yeah, it was. I was just I was clipping along and I hit there must have been some ice that melted, had gone down, refroze, boom, and it's going and it's spinning on me. I'm saying, Oh, I'm gonna buy. I'm gonna buy the farm here, didn't right through the tunnel, came out the other side. Everything was perfect, insane. Absolutely well, I'll tell you, I ye.
Speaker 4: Up and down the roads in Sherburn back of the day.
Speaker 2: Wow. Well, we spent twenty years in Sherbourne, so I know all of those, all of those road we lived out. Did you live in Sherburn and.
Speaker 4: Dover Sherburn right off the twenty seven right which street?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 4: I know, I know that area, Sony Brook Road, I know.
Speaker 2: Stony Broke Out. We lived on Woodland Street on the Route sixteen en to Woodland Street, which is that great credit cut through between Route sixteen and twenty seven.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, When did you leave?
Speaker 2: When did you lett? When'd you leave Sherborne.
Speaker 4: Eighty two?
Speaker 2: Okay, we didn't get there.
Speaker 4: My mom moved to Holliston.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I loved Holliston, man, I loved all of those places in Holliston. Fisk General Store and oh yeah that was great, great John. Bad news. Bertucci's in Holliston finally.
Speaker 4: Closed, by the way, I know, I heard that on the news. The whole chain went belly up. But you know, I was at the super Utte the other day and I bought a slice of Framingham Baking Company pizza and uh oh, you just can't beat that.
Speaker 2: The Superrete right across the street from Fisk, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, oh, I bought all my model planes as a kid.
Speaker 2: Oh. Absolutely, absolutely great great people, John and Carol paulton Aery, the Paultroonary family. Scott, great call, great call. I got two great calls to start it off with Laurie and Scott. Thanks, my friend. We'll talk soon. I never realized all the times we've talked, I never realized that you grew up in Sherman. Are you coming to the brunch on Sunday?
Speaker 4: Your no, no, no, I have alably parents and I spend a lot of time with them all the weekend.
Speaker 2: All right, well, that's that's a better It's a better way to spend your Sunday. But will mische Thank you much, doctor. You soon have a great night. We'll take a break. It's eleven thirty, bottom of the hour, bringing on back. We're coming back right after the news at the bottom of the hour. Only line open six, one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. Memories of your first car, Marita. If you're listening, and you're probably not, this is going pretty well.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray I'm bes Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, back on Nightside twentieth hour. We're asking you to tell us about your first car. Rob just told me his first car was a two thousand and four Saturn. I'm not going to tell you the rest of the story. It came to it after that situation where you were able to get and Rob was not at fault. Will we go next, going to go to Donna in Whitman. Hey, Donna, your first car? Which was it?
Speaker 5: Hi?
Speaker 8: Donna, welcome, Hi Dan, Thanks for taking my call. Hi everybody, this is a great subject to talk about. I love the nostalgia. Thanks cracking me up thinking about this right now. Mine was the nineteen seventy one Dodge Swinger.
Speaker 4: I paid one.
Speaker 9: Hundred, one hundred and fifty while one hundred and fifty dollars And those were the days when you saw the cars going around with bondo and rust.
Speaker 8: Well, oh exactly, my car was yep. And I remember buying tubs of it at the auto shop of Blonde and Do and Screen. And my poor, my poor dad like nearly had a heart attack when I brought it home because you know, I asked, could I get a car? And he's like, yeah, sure, get a car, and he'd laugh, you know, and keep it.
Speaker 2: How long? How long did that Dodge Swingers?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it lasted me almost four years, and I sure did it that. The biggest thing was the day that I was I went to radio shack and bought an FM converter because it only.
Speaker 4: Had a radio in it.
Speaker 2: You're a she devil FM radio. We're still a bought.
Speaker 8: Myself some cheap speakers and you can hear my car coming around the corner before you saw my my car, and uh, my dad was just like this thing isn't safe. I'm like, yeah, I got an inspection sticker. You know, it's like, yeah, that's all I needed. That and cardboard because the floorboards were routed through and I have to lift my feet up.
Speaker 7: No car.
Speaker 2: Cardboard and duct tape, that's all you need.
Speaker 8: And I remember using a screwdriver to open up take take the cover off the air filtered, open up the choke. So that was a trick I learned with my brother.
Speaker 2: Well, I would know idea. I would have no idea what to do there you were. You were much more adept at that sort of thing that I was. I'd be okay with the cardboard and the duct tape. I would have been able to accomplish that.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you.
Speaker 8: The funniest thing was is when I pulled up in front the insurance company to get the car insured. They go in and the agent says to me, well, what color.
Speaker 3: Is the car?
Speaker 7: Donner?
Speaker 8: I said, well, I'm really not sure. I mean, it's Bondo, it's rust, it's primer. And he had to open up the door to look on the inside to see what color of the car actually was.
Speaker 3: It was yellow.
Speaker 2: That's a great story. And did you sell the car.
Speaker 3: I drove?
Speaker 2: Did the cargo go directly to the junkyard?
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I drove it until it died and I did cry. I loved I really loved that car. And you know, I was so excited to get that and it was just like freedom.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 8: I had been just using my tense speed bike to go back and forth to my jobs, and I was so excited to finally have some wheels, and it was just I know, I still think how much.
Speaker 2: How how much, how much freedom that meant to all of us back in the day. I mean, it was like woo, I mean I can I could go somewhere and no one knows where I go. It's like like taking off the leash.
Speaker 8: We didn't have phones then you could just and nobody could get hold of you.
Speaker 4: It was awesome.
Speaker 2: And Donna, I love the call. We've had three great calls, Laurie, Scott and Donald. Let's keep it rolling. Thanks Donna.
Speaker 8: You have a good night, Dan, great weekend.
Speaker 2: Thanks. Let me keep rolling. I'm gonna go to Lauren in Melrose. They got Dallas and Ohio in the in the on deck circle. Lauren, go right ahead.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, Hi.
Speaker 7: I'm not too sure of the year. It was like it yused fifty eight or fifty nine brought it in like sixty six. Yeah, flag and a Volkswag and Bug.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, uh oh, those were great.
Speaker 7: The Volkswagon Bog at the time, it had no gas gauge. I mean, it's sorry how much gas is in the car. And I had a joke and it's standard ship and yeah, I had to just came up with a system of taking down what the mileage was, and every two hundred miles where they needed to not I put gas in it.
Speaker 2: And in many in many cases, I mean you you know, you got great mileage of the Volkswagen Bug. I've driven a Volkswagen Bug. A lady friend of mine had one in Washington, d C. And I spent some time in Washington, so that was my my my transportation of choice. This was well, the.
Speaker 7: Thing is that people did at the time because it's hard to find the car in a parking lot, so they're gonna put the plastic flowers on the antenna so you could find a big, pretty flower.
Speaker 2: So well, most of the people who were driving those bugs. Most people who were driving those bugs, they were walking around with flowers in their hair. There was kind of a hippie vehicle back.
Speaker 7: I wasn't one of those. I just wanted to find the car.
Speaker 2: I got you. Now, we use tennis balls right on the antenna if you have an antenna.
Speaker 7: Yeah. One thing I just wanted to pass on, if you would pass on to the gentlemen that the friendly I sent places. The woman that called, she didn't.
Speaker 4: She really wanted a line raspberry rooky, Yeah, ricky right.
Speaker 7: Right, Raby lime rooky, And it was Brigham's that that was Brigham's real drink. Friend named that and to pass it on to him. Yeah, because and they're the best. You know, No, couldn't coffee it. I mean, they used fresh lines, and I had I knew people to try to make them on their own. They couldn't copy it. They just couldn't get it just right. And I wish I wish it would they could open up Righoms again because.
Speaker 2: This was great best ice cream, no question about it.
Speaker 7: Skill is I mean, the ice cream the thing. But is that you lose the other things I had, you know, like their homemade bread, homemade butterscotch, you know, the Sundays and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking about ice cream now as opposed to having a beer after the show.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you, yeah, you probably have the beer.
Speaker 7: But now I'm just no, but I'm just saying that, you know other places and I did today having to go to an Apple beefs and it was good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good for you. Yeah, so it was a.
Speaker 2: Little thank so much. Thank you so much.
Speaker 8: Car.
Speaker 2: Please keep going, have a great weekend. Good night. Let me go to my bell Dallas in Akron, Ohio. Dallas, welcome back. I'd love to know what your first car was.
Speaker 10: Yes, good evening to you, Dan, Hello Austin. My first vehicle was a nineteen sixty one Buick Special. It was royal blue and I had just gotten out of high school. Bought it in the summer and paid three hundred dollars for it.
Speaker 2: What year did you buy it? You didn't buy it for three hundred dollars in sixty one.
Speaker 10: I'll get my age way.
Speaker 5: No, I bought it in sixty eight, summer sixty early early summer sixty eight.
Speaker 10: Oh, wow, Yeah.
Speaker 2: How long you keep it? How long did you keep it? Dallas? Oh?
Speaker 10: I kept it for about three and a half four years.
Speaker 2: Wow, and got good shirt. You said, how much did you pay for it? Did you pay for it? How much?
Speaker 10: Three hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: That's not a bad deal. Yeah, even in nineteen sixty eight dollars that was good. I don't know what that would be today. It probably would be like at least five times as much with inflation, I'll bet you. But still that's a good deal. Can you imagine getting a nice car for fifteen hundred dollars today?
Speaker 10: I don't think some No, no, I you know back then I paid twenty nine nine cents nineteen cents to thirty five nine ten since a gallon for gasoline.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I remember we had a place in Jamaica plane it was called hat Offs h Atoff, and so there was a little guy who was there, kind of a cattoon character with his top hat off. I can remembers as little as nineteen cents a gallon, and I had Wow. They must not have been been charging taxes at that time. But now, with between state and federal taxes in Massachusetts we're probably paying somewhere about sixty eight cents in taxes alone, and I'm sure in Ohio was probably pretty similar or in taxes fedom with gasoline cost us back then. So when you got rid of it, was it a sentimental moment or oh.
Speaker 5: No, no, I was a glaud to get rid of it because the transmission gave.
Speaker 10: Me a lot of problems.
Speaker 2: Okay, I got that you The time was right as we would say, Hey, Dallas, thanks for checking in. I really appreciate hearing from you. Again. It's uh, you know, you're in the I think they call Akron the tire city. So I don't know if that means that you were able to get a good, nice new set of wheels on it or whatever. But oh, is that that's that's that's the nickname for Akron, right, the tire.
Speaker 10: City, rubber capital of the world.
Speaker 2: Right, But I've always heard some people refer to it as the as the tire city.
Speaker 10: No, yeah, tire city, tire town, Oh.
Speaker 2: Tire town. I like that. That's a literative I like that. Okay, Hey, thank you, Dallas. Have a great weekend.
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, Dan, you do the same. Nice talking to you, Duck.
Speaker 2: Soon right back to you, Okay, good night. All right, We're gonna get Greg and Ontario, Dennis and Steve and I got room for the only place we got room. If you got to be if you got to dial now six one, seven, nine, three, one ten, that will get you on before midnight. If you dial now. If you don't, you we won't hear from you. Six one, seven ninth one, ten thirty. Back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: We have full lines. We're gonna ask everybody to be a little tighter here. Let's let's get it going here. We're gonna go to Greg and Ontario. Greg next on Nightside, give me a prediction for Tuesday night in the election.
Speaker 11: Up there, Paulief polif got to be Pauly f.
Speaker 4: Ye.
Speaker 2: We'll see your first car up there, Greg, What was it?
Speaker 11: My first car was nineteen seventy Plymouth Barracuda. When it was yeah, yeah, it was a great car. Was the in violet color, so it was it was similar to the plumb crazy purple that the challengers were painting, you know, Chrysler, I mean, Dodge was painting there.
Speaker 2: What you paint that was? What did you buy it? News? You buy it used?
Speaker 11: No, it was used. Actually I bought it when I was eighteen, so it would have been about eight years old. I got it actually, I bought it for twenty eight hundred bucks, which I thought was pretty good. And then uh, yeah, I had it for five years and then I was off to college h in I about nineteen eighty three, and so I sold it. But I made four hundred bucks on it. I sold it for three two hundred bucks to no.
Speaker 2: Well, that was some of that was some of the inflation. The inflation was what fifteen percent back in those days. Remember the Jimmy Carter. Yes, yeah, so that was good. Yeah, the great car, and you made some money.
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 2: Now you're gonna call us Tuesday night with some election results right when this starts to come into on Tuesday night.
Speaker 11: Yeah, well, yeah, I'll get on the phone and i'll keep you update. There are.
Speaker 2: No I'm saying you're an election correspondent, so you gotta call it.
Speaker 11: Yo, I'll give you. I'll give you an update and how it goes, we should probably find out fairly early, I think, uh into the evening.
Speaker 2: Well you instructed me, which was which I had forgotten, that it's a parliamentary system up there. So it's not like you know, we're going to have Ontario goes for so and so and Quebec goes for so and so. It's going to depend upon who who controls the parliament so keep our fingers crossed. Okay, Greg, I got unpacked here, so I got a whole bunch of folks. They got to run by run here, So I'll let you run. Okay, thank you man. We'll talk to your Tuesday night. Give that d Thanks thanks great, appreciate it. Let me go next too. We're gonna go. Okay, no more calls, Rob, Let's get We're gonna get everybody in Dennis and Effett. Dennis, your first car, I wonder what that will be.
Speaker 4: Well, I've had I had many. I had at least twenty cows when I was growing up.
Speaker 2: By then, you're only talking about your first. Yeah.
Speaker 12: My first one that I bought was a nineteen eighty four Firebird which a key top, the door exhausted.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 12: I was only twenty four, so I was, uh yeah, maybe I was wild.
Speaker 2: Oh I can imagine. Was that a good car to attract the ladies? Dennis? Oh?
Speaker 12: Yeah, but I was already married.
Speaker 2: That case. Why why were you wild? If you were married?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 2: What you paid for? What are you pay Do you remember what you paid for it?
Speaker 12: I paid I if I can remember correctly. In between ten and twelve thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Okay, well that would be around eleven thousand dollars. Was that new whoa yeah, brand new, very oppressive that you were rolling rolling. Dennis was.
Speaker 12: Right on, mister Avin metric Osma Pontiac.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, Dennis, I got three more I gotta get to so I'm gonna let you run.
Speaker 12: Have a good one, Dan, thanks nobody, thank you, all right, I have a great weekend.
Speaker 2: Dan youtubell, thank you much. Steve is a chickapee Steve. I've never had you on the show before. I don't think how were.
Speaker 6: You gonna truck driver Steve. You've had me a couple Oh well, of.
Speaker 2: Course, truck driver Steve is wherever he is you got of course it's struck driver Steve.
Speaker 7: Car.
Speaker 2: I know what you're driving now, it's an eighteen wheel. What's your first car?
Speaker 6: Yeah, first cow was a nineteen eighty Sunbird Pontiac two tone color. I paid nineteen hundred bucks and it was a low mileage. So as a twenty year old, that was a great first car in the little town of Dick's Field name.
Speaker 2: So I'll let you go.
Speaker 4: You get to the next caller.
Speaker 2: A great dear, you're where you headed tonight? Where you're headed?
Speaker 4: I mean the guy he's coming from Baltimore.
Speaker 6: I've been doing the Baltimore route this week, so I got to see all the Baltimore stadiums and also Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, all the Phillies stadiums.
Speaker 4: So it's like fifty years ago when my first Red Sox game. You get a little excited, you know, you see it like it.
Speaker 7: I like you.
Speaker 4: I'll let you go.
Speaker 7: You got two more calls?
Speaker 2: Be safe, man, talk soon, Okay, diodn't I let me keep rolling here. We're gonna get it both into It's gonna be tight. Phil and Wakefield. Phil gotta make room for Dennis and Canton as well. Go ahead, Phil, Okay, how you doing?
Speaker 1: Dan?
Speaker 4: I the all American icon of cause I had a fifty seven Chevy.
Speaker 2: A Chevy. What type of Chevy did they call it back?
Speaker 4: Nineteen fifty seven Chevy?
Speaker 2: Okay? Yeah, a bell Air Okay, okay, that's that. That sounds familiar. What you pay for that?
Speaker 4: I think four hundred bucks? We throw it home on a milk cradle, had no clause.
Speaker 2: Those were the days. Those were the days, weren't they? We thought we were pretty cool.
Speaker 4: Actually, I have one now I'm restoring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you're a car guy. Then how long would you it was a fifty seven? How much you how much you pay for it, and what you sell it for.
Speaker 4: I paid four hundreds for it and I so for four hundred.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's okay. How long do you have it?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I told it to all high school four years.
Speaker 2: Nice? Nice? All right, you were rolling. Thanks. Phil talks on every weekend. You too. All right, I'm done for the week and we're done for the night. Rob, Thank you very much. Maria, good suggestion. Your first car.
Speaker 7: I like that.
Speaker 2: We'll do this one again. I want to remind you that we will be at the Nioli Restaurant on Sunday morning. First seating is eleven, second seating is twelve thirty. They're sold out. We'll do it again at some point, so feel free to think about but you can't. You gotta have reservations. I told you, I told you. If you've missed it, all dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven. That's my pal Charlie ray Is. He passed fifteen years ago in February. That's all your pets are past. They loved you and you love them. I do believe you'll see them again. We'll see again on Monday night. I'll see you on night Side in about two or three minutes. Nice now with Dan Ray on Facebook. Join us, love to say hi, we'll be back. Have a great weekend everyone. We'll see you Monday night on night Side. Thanks Rob,