Speaker 1: You hear us talk about ways to unlock VIP membership through your Apple account in the Apple Podcast app and also through Patreon or Spotify. To unlock a full VIP membership with full access to archives and ad free website and customizable podcast feeds that are compatible with the Apple Podcast app and many iOS and Android apps, along with streaming ability right from our ad free mobile site, go to pwtorch dot com slash go VIP. That's pwtorch dot com slash go VIP That'll give you all the details on everything you're missing out on by not being a VIP member, the whole array of VIP exclusive podcasts like The Way Keller news bulletins, our post pay per view roundtables, The Fix that I host with Todd Martin, Everything with Rich and Wade, and an array of other shows with different hosts and different themes, along with unlocking our archives dating back nearly four decades nearly two thousand. Pro Wrestling Torch weekly newsletters over two decades, a podcast on demand dating back to the mid two thousand, starting with pay per view roundtables of fascinating retro radio shows, including many that I hosted in the nineteen nineties and an AD free website. Exclusive content on that website only for VIP members written and audio, and a lightning fast, smooth, AD free VIP mobile site for all of our content. Don't miss out on all the benefits. Treat yourself to a VIP membership. PW torch dot com, slash Go VIP, go all the Way, Go VIP, PW torch dot com, slash Go VIP.
Speaker 2: Now, PW Torch and Spreaker bring you the Wade Keller Pro Wrestling Podcast.
Speaker 3: Ten years ago.
Speaker 1: This week on the Flagship I was joined by Jasonpollofrompro Wrestling Dot Matt. We talked about an excellent episode of Raw from the night before and also Newsworthy and explained why we thought it was excellent. So we had a lot of questions from callers and emailers. We looked ahead to smack Down on whether it could deliver a show that competed with how good Raw was. Then, in the previously VP exclusive after show, we answered more email questions, including the new Lowgraffenbalor's potential of winning the Universal title at SummerSlam, what was the deal with Sasha Banks beating Charlotte for the title so quickly?
Speaker 3: And more.
Speaker 1: So let's get to it again. This originally live stream on July twenty six, twenty sixteen. It is today's Wade Keller Pro Wrestling Podcast ten years ago flake Ship flashback for Sunday, July twenty six, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the p W Torch Live Cast. I am Way Keller, editor and publisher of the Pro Wrestling Torch week Reeners letter since nineteen eighty seven, and also PW torch dot com, the website, mmatorch dot com. The website and our pre apps in the iPhone and Android app stores.
Speaker 3: The search PW Torch.
Speaker 1: And MMA Torch to download the free apps packed with daily news, commentary, TV results, paper for results, exclusive features, access to podcasts and more. Again, just search PW Torch and MMA Torch in the app store and get your free apps, or visit our mobile friendly pages and desktop friendly pages at mmatorch dot com and PW torch dot com.
Speaker 3: We have a lot to talk about, raw.
Speaker 1: Last night was quite the new beginning, a ton of newsworthy things to talk about, and I'm excited to talk about them with you, the listeners and the callers. So let me see if Jason is here, will bring him into the program, and uh, while I do that, I just want to let everybody know you can call us six four six seven two one nine eight to eight. That is six four six seven two one nine eight to eight, and let's get some conversations going on raw, we have h one of our SummerSlam main events set up. It is Finn Balor, who won two matches last night in his raw debut, a fatal four way and then clean win over Roman Reigns. An interesting story to delve into there. I'm very interested in seeing where they go from here with both Roman Reigns and Finn Balor. On top of that, we have an interesting symme, interesting developments on the roster split front intern or the new kind of raw format front in terms of new announcer positioning, new logo, new opening theme, kind of a new format to the show.
Speaker 3: A lot less talking.
Speaker 1: It might have been just a one time I don't know if it's a lot less, but I think noticeably less talking, but more short interviews in ring interviews, out of ring interviews at ringside right before and right after matches. And we had the return of basically three squash matches that I thought, we're all thoroughly entertaining and helped enhance the wrestlers who were winning them and we had a major title change with Sasha Banks, surprising I think everybody with a win over Charlotte. We have a live SmackDown tonight and we'll see what Snackdown has in store for us. But I'm excited about what I've seen so far. I'm encouraged by what I've seen so far. Let's bring Jason Powell from Progressing Dot Need into the conversation.
Speaker 3: Jason, how you doing?
Speaker 4: Hey good? How are you waiting?
Speaker 3: Doing well? It's all you know.
Speaker 1: It's always fun when I go to sit down to start the show and end up with munch of technical problems. But everything seems to be up and working right now. So we just had some ill timed issues. But let's focus on what matters most, and that is last night's Raw. Pretty universal thumbs up for this show, and fact about is strong of a positive response to any wrestling show that I can remember. The number of people giving this a strong thumbs up and calling it excellent in our poll is almost unprecedented.
Speaker 3: Are you in that category, Jason?
Speaker 4: I definitely am. Yeah. This was a show that you wanted to see what WWE was going to do that was new, fresh, and innovative. They didn't make as many big promises for Raw as they did for SmackDown, and so my fear going in was that this was going to be more of the same, you know, it would just be half the crew working the usual three hour formatted Raw and SmackDown would kind of get the fresh coat of pain. Raw really wowed me, you know, they shook things up, and I think the key thing I listened to your audio and I said the same thing in mind is that they can't do this every week. But I also feel like they made enough tweaks and enough changes that they have the outline there to make this equality show going forward.
Speaker 1: The one concern that I have coming out of this program last night, Jason, is sustainability. Is there a way for a show to be as newsworthy and refreshing and high quality wrestling newsworthy angles I just am concerned that this might be setting us up for a letdown in future weeks.
Speaker 3: I hope not.
Speaker 1: I haven't had a chance to fully kind of process the how I think the show can be paced and what the cadence can be going forward. But that's my one concern is they got really excited this week, put a lot on that show, and we're going to find some diminished returns in future weeks because I just don't know if you can put this much quality content and newsworthy happenings into a show on a weekly basis, or even eighty percent of this to keep us at least at a seven or eight out of ten instead of a nine out of ten score wise.
Speaker 4: No, And again you know the outliner is there, though. I think with just the freshness of the show creating some new stars, you're not going to I don't see them topping this show for a long time. I don't think you can give away that much on television on a weekly basis. But now you have Sash in a position to shine, you have Ben Balor in a position to shine. You've given the show that that fresh code of pain, you have the broadcast team in a different places, you have the new logo, even you're just kind of a new look to things. It's week one was great and now we kind of wait and see how it settles in.
Speaker 1: If you're like me, you got come. We invite your calls and we have a bunch of people on hold. Let's uh, let's just go to a phone call and and try to get some some listener feedback on this. Let's go to eight one three. First state your name in the city you're calling from.
Speaker 5: Please, Hey, it's Jay from Tampa.
Speaker 6: How y'all doing.
Speaker 3: I'm doing good? Good for me? J has always what have you got for us?
Speaker 5: Awesome? First and foremost battleground and Raw was I will say excellent. I don't know who would give it anything under eight in my opinion, great movement. I guess my two questions is UH.
Speaker 6: First, would you say.
Speaker 5: That now separating that the given the UH another championship to Raw? It was a necessary evil because it seems like, I know we were talking about floating champions before, but then we kind of also talked about trying to have that division. Having to give a total separation between the two brands and to flow the champions seems like you then you have to get the writers and created creative team in to calibrate, Okay, where's the champion going to be this time? And then I don't know how they could do a full show and still have to worry about who the champion is on the other show, and who to send over and who to fuel with. I think that part did create a confusion, but even more confusion now because then what do you do with the tag teams division or the women's division. So it's kind of I'm interesting to see how that's going to play out. And then my second question is where do you think they go from here with Roman Reigns? As far as who to feel with next? I think that's one of the bigger questions. They bring someone new in with the little Samoan comment he made the see Joe come up or you know, just in general, what do you see them do next with with Roman? And that's all I got.
Speaker 1: Excellent Thanks Jay Good one of the good A topics on the program, Roman Reigns. Jason not a great forty eight hours for Roman Reigns in a in a if in us from a perspective of if wrestling were real and Roman has a big match, he loses, he comes back as a chance to redeem himself. He uh lose it, wins, but then loses again.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: He seemed to take it in stride. He seemed to be gracious in losing while looking over his shoulder at finn Balor celebrating and you know, just kind of said, hey, I hope I get another chance to uh to make this to to fix what didn't go right today and yesterday. Jason, what what do you think? What do you think they're doing with Roman rains at this point?
Speaker 4: Business as usual? Unfortunately, the fact that Stephanie called him a loser to start the show and then with him being gracious defeat, I mean, hey, I'd like to think that these losses are adding up, It's building up the frustration. I think you may see that with the USO Brothers. I think the Ussos may end up turning heal. And part of it is with American Alpha coming in and being on the same brand on SmackDown, that can be a really good feud. But with Roman, I think it's just a little bit of punishment by having him lose on some be the one to take the pinfall on Sunday. But also, if you look at it, Seth is the guy that is in the main event, so that that finish makes sense. I mean, yeah, you could have Stephanie still put Seth in there, but I think it served a purpose to have him lose the triple threat and last night it really helps end the message of change because had that show ended with Roman beating Balor, even in some hard fought match and he endorses Baler afterward, it still would have been we would not be talking about the show as positively today, and so the losses were needed. I think they actually help him more than they hurt him.
Speaker 1: Do you have any idea if they keep Roman Array's business as usual as a top tier babyface, what who will he feud with?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Who is there for him to if they go to Finn Balor and Seth rawlins as a full fledged feud and that fills several months of both Seth and Finn. Finn is a baby face and Seth is a heel, and that's that's presumptuous. There could be a lot of things going on with Finn. He came out to a Baler club worldwide as a logo in the club, Anderson and Gallows might be looking for a new leader.
Speaker 3: I mean, who knows what can happen.
Speaker 1: But if that's what happens, is there somebody who jumps out as a good opponent for Roman to kind of fill up the rest of summer and fall?
Speaker 4: I think he's a guy right now who does need some wins. You know, it was okay to have him lose these matches, and so now I'm guessing he starts to get some wins back, not just on the House shows, but Kevin Owens needs a dance partner. His Fast Program with Sammy has concluded. Jericho looks like he's tied up with Boaler on the House Show, so I'm guessing we'll start to see that play out a little bit. So that's just one. I mean, they can't go back to Seamus, can they. They can't possibly think Roman Rains and Seamus is a good idea. I'll say this, I don't care. I enjoy watching Romans matches his bigger matches, like last night and on Sunday, but I can't say that. I'm just on pins and needles waiting to find out what happens next with Roman Rain's character. It's just it's been a failure and if they're not going to turn him, I just feel like apathy is going to start to set in. Evince is just so determined. Boy. When Valor made that comment last night about how luck I invented luck, I'm irish. And then Roman. I like Romans comeback and all, but I was really worried when Finn made that comment that it was so cocky and they were going to reunite the club. I don't want to see that. You've already had aj Styles turnheel. You've had Seth Rawlins turn heel directly because they refused to budge on Roman Rain. Seth could be in a much better place than he is right now. And had they made the same mistake with Finn Balor or if they do, I'm just gonna throw my hands up.
Speaker 1: The biggest concern I think anybody should have regarding the roster split is not the initial phase of it, because you can match everybody up once with a dance partner, and you know on the roster split, they certainly looked at it and planned for Okay, we're gonna split the rosters. Here is our first phase, our first chapter of feuds. The issue is, once you get past that first phase, how do you reshuffle the deck to have fresh matchups with everybody. The women's division is thin, the tag team division isn't very deep to begin with, so that to me, the biggest concern kicks in when we get a little deeper into the into the roster split. But the fact that we're already struggling to come up with a suitable opponent for a babyface Roman reigns is an issue that I think needs to be kind of underlined and highlighted. What if Roman stays babyface? Who do people want to see him against? Do they punish him and make an example out of him by having him job twice? Coming out of the failure and feud with Bronz Stroman Jason. I mean, looking at the lineup, there's not soon, not a lot of it. Yeah, yeah, I agree, But I'm just I'm looking going, well, maybe it's it's Kevin Owens.
Speaker 3: Then I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's my guess. Is Owens? I mean I'm a rocher in front of me?
Speaker 3: Or who Nya Jacks? Does she look good?
Speaker 4: That would be fun well against one another. I don't know if that's allowed in WW.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can have a feud for the biggest badass simoent On Raw.
Speaker 4: Yeah he'd lose.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Hey everyone, longtime PW George commist Sean radikin here to let you know I've rebamped and renewed the Raticant Worldwide podcast for twenty twenty six a weekly VIP exclusive. Every week, I break down four or five of the biggest trending topics in pro wrestling. I also present my analysis, providing insight that helps you understand the story better or see it another way. Then maybe is the controversial takeout there? Then I bring on a special guest for the second half the podcast. Sometimes it's a wrestler or someone else who works in the business. Other times it's a guest analyst who brings their specialized point of view out a particular key topic in the news. Recent guests have included Bronson Reid from WWE and PCO. One of my areas of specialty is the Japan wrestling scene, so I often cover a big topic from Japan with PW Torch's own Alan Farrell, Kelly Wells, and Chris Lansdell. I don't just cover the news. I don't just riff on the news or give a standard hot take. I'll bring my decades of studying this industry and talking one on one with dozens of wrestling promoters to each week's show so you understand not just what's happening, but the context of why get ahead of the news get ahead of the pack with racking Worldwide only at PW Torch vip.
Speaker 1: Jason before we get to another call, what'd you think of the presentation of Finn Baller.
Speaker 4: I thought it was good, you know. I mean I was worried initially his very first appearance on Raw with him just walking out behind a group of other wrestlers on the stage, and I'm like, that's not what I had in mind. But you know, the key is the story they told throughout the night, and by the end of the night he came up like a star. I thought, I don't know if you noticed this way, but they showed the wide arena shot you can see a lot of people leaving, like right away, and that worried me a little bit that maybe this isn't as hot as we think it is. I mean, it sure seemed to be with the live crowd. But then when they showed that and people are just racing for the exits. I mean, usually if it's a guy who's super over like like he seemed to be, they stick around for the post mac celebration, don't they.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's one of the one of the note notes that I made in watching the conclusion of the show last night is this is another example of raw at three hours and ten minutes is too damn long. And remember the crowd gets there even true for that, and I don't I mean Daniel Bryan spoke about how nobody wants to be in that third hour, you know, I mean when he was an active wrestler, he was like, when you look at the format sheet, you dread ending up in that third hour. Even Daniel Bright at the peak of his popularity, he didn't want that. This is a problem. It happens constantly that there are wrestlers, feuds, outcomes, matches, title changes that should look like it's it's a hot territory back in the eighties and the seventies where crowds ald go nuts or something, but by the time something big happens, they're exhausted. I don't want this to be a complaining show because it was one of my favorite rods ever last night, but I can't underline enough, and I just it's I think it needs to be said and not just put on the back burner and accepted. Three hours and ten minutes, three hours and five minutes, it's too long for a wrestling show. It's a money grab in the short run, that is killing a lot of things that should come across as really hot and or kill damaging. Maybe he's a better word. Finn Balor was celebrating in front of a crowd that wasn't reacting like a World Series victory. They weren't reacting like a Daniel Bryan victory. They're reacting like a tired crowd who weren't quite sure exactly what they saw. You know, every Aragna is going to be different, but you know that's the problem with hot shotting. With a new wrestler and a new format and kind of a new era and you want to shake things up, that journey isn't there. People haven't been along for the ride, so there's not that exhilaration.
Speaker 3: Of finally achieving something.
Speaker 1: I'm not again shooting people to the top, though I think that you have to do that, and I think the sacrifice is sometimes fans aren't on board yet and you're just telling them get on board. This guy is good. And I think that's what they were going for with this, and.
Speaker 4: I do think it worked. I think people are going to be excited if they didn't know if Finn Balor coming into this or had little exposure to him. They have to come out of this being pretty excited. I thought the video packaged did a nice shot. It wasn't sure if they would show the Demon, but they basically showed every NXT incarnation of I believe, and I think people have to be so if you're not familiar with Fin, you're like, what is that? And that's going to be a fun moment when he builds up to that point where he comes out as the Demon, even though he's challenging for the WWE Universal Championship at SummerSlam. I hope that's not it. I hope they really do save that moment for just a key point in the program. He builds up to a feud and it's the blow up as he's done in n xty when he's brought that out.
Speaker 1: On the other side of our first break here, we'll talk about the Universal Championship and our thoughts on that. Also coverage of not only the draft, the launch of the new Raw, the launch of the new SmackDown Live Battleground, but also a really fun Hall of Fame weekend that Bruce Mitchell, Todd Martin, Travis Bryant and I took part in.
Speaker 3: In Waterloo, Iowa.
Speaker 1: It is a major pro wrestling hall of Fame and museum, the Dan Gable Wrestling Museum, the George Tregos luth thes Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame had their annual convention and awards ceremony. Bob Beckland, Iron Chic, Alex Luger via video screen. Well, that's a whole other story, and JJ Dillon getting a prestigious award getting emotional on stage, Tully Blanchard and his daughter Tessa Blanchard getting emotional and accepting an award on behalf of their late father and grandfather respectively.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: It was a really fun weekend and we talked a lot about that, including the first ever torch rye along audio. On the ride back north from water to Waiowa to Minneapolis Saint Paul on Sunday, Bruce Mitchell, Travis Bryant, Todd Martin and I talked for nearly an hour on the car ride about our weekend and shared our thoughts on it. It was a lot of fun. We also almost left Todd in a cornfield in Iowa. It's a practical joke and then we thought better of it. Lots of fun stories from the weekend amazing time. Bruce and I did long audio shows like seventy five minutes a second night and close to an hour the first night, recapping everything that was happening, really taking you behind the scenes on our interactions with the wrestlers and you know, little controversies here and there, and just great, really fun observations of a tremendous weekend. And that all comes instantly when you go VIP for a dollar, So we'll talk about that also right after the break. But first a word about our homepage for this show and the way that you access shows on demand and listen to past shows in our archives. I'm joined by Jason Powell from Pro Wrestling dot Net, and it's always great to have Jason with us, and this is a great week to have him with us because there's so much going on that is new, and one of them is the Universal Championship. Bill Watts For people who are familiar with nineteen eighties wrestling, when he did what a lot of promoters at the time were doing, which is trying to shed the regional name of his promotion in the mid eighties, and he was the mid South wrestling promoter and he was very proudly the promoter of Mid South wrestling until the WWWF started expanding and they had the name World Wrestling Federation. They were building themselves as a worldwide organization, not just regional. The NWA had the name National Wrestling Alliance to work with, so they had that national name world Class Championship Wrestling regional promotion that was expanding their syndication across the country.
Speaker 3: UH.
Speaker 1: They were based in Dallas, Texas, but their name inherently wasn't regional world Class Championship pressing. It didn't say Texas Championshipressing, so that that didn't peg them as being overly regional. Same with a w A on ESPN and national syndication American Wrestling Association. Even though they were mainly a Midwest based territory, they had a name that played nationally better. Mid South wrestling didn't play nationally very well. So he changed the name of his company to the Universal Wrestling Federation and his champion was the Universal Champion, not a world champion. He didn't overlap the term world with his own world title, as everybody else had done a w A and w A and heck, even World Class got in the game on that he called his champion the Universal Champion, Jason Paul, this had been done before.
Speaker 4: Do you like this?
Speaker 1: If there's going to be two major singles champ two major singles heavyweight champions, one on raw, one on SmackDown, do you like the w W you champion and the World Champion better?
Speaker 3: Or does this work for you?
Speaker 1: A Universal champion and a world champion on competing brands And for you to answer, I need to turn your mic back on, and I just did, so there you go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I do prefer WWE World Heavyweight. But I also, I mean, as much fun as I had mocking WWE Universal last night, I think it's going to be doll Stigler like when the first few times you hear it, it's going to sound awkward, and overtime it's going to be fine. I mean, the World Wrestling Council, that's what they've used for their championship for many years. I mean, that's their biggest championship in Puerto Rico, and so it's been done before. I guess my question for you is do you think that in time that title just sounds more significant than the WWE Championship gets SmackDown, Even though they have the lineage. Did they long term get the shaft? You think they benefit from getting the main championship in the long comes the WWE Universal Championship.
Speaker 3: I think it's good.
Speaker 1: I think what's going to matter most to fans is how the title is treated and who holds it and new challenges for it, and how it's positioned on the cards. I think both names work. I think that World Wrestling Entertainment or WWE Heavyweight Champion is less wordy than WWWE World Heavyweight Champion, And considering world is what the first w stands for it, it was always somewhat redundant. I think they wanted to give the impression, hey, these are two unified titles, and they wanted to run with that for a couple of years. I don't mind them shortening it. I think the fact that the SmackDown based title has the lineage of the history of WWE on its side that works in its favor.
Speaker 3: But you know, really, ultimately.
Speaker 1: Stuff like this matters, but what matters more is how it's positioned, how it's treated, who the champion is, and in what regard it is presented to the fan base. So I think this works for me and it also just sheds. It's feeling like just a rerun of what they did last time. You know, why did you unify the titles if you're just going to split them up again. Now it's like this whole new championship, And I think they started off with nine good contender seth as a number one draft pick and the most recent champion who never lost his title, and eight more qualified wrestlers, including a new hot star and Finn Balor.
Speaker 3: They hope.
Speaker 1: I think that they've set up a foundation for it seem like a legitimate title to fans. But again, once we get past this phase, it really is just going to be do people want to watch the show and watch the title matches on the network, The backstory will mean a little bit less, sort of like Vince mcmanthought of the Monday Night War, the legacy of the Raw brand would mean everything, and almost instantly people were willing to abandon the legacy of Monday Night Raw for this new shiny toy called Monday Nightro. So it really just it's it's whatever is. If it's done well, they'll watch. Let's go on a Jason.
Speaker 4: Well with you have the universal title on Raw? What in God's name. Do they call the what I assume will be the SmackDown tag titles and women's title. I mean, I don't think they're just going to label it SmackDown. Is it worth rebranding the women's and tag titles that are on Raw Universal as well? Just for consistency.
Speaker 1: If they have two women's titles, then I think they probably should be consistent. If they only have one, I'm not really I think they can have the w W Women right that it's a mood point, yeah, But if they have two tag championships then yeah, I mean, I think they should probably stay consistent on Raw with the Universal Championships, unless they think they're going to be flipping the titles around in some sort of you know, weird trade or something like that, at which case that will get really confusing. If you know, at one point all the Universal Championships are on Raw, but then one of the championships switches, and now it just becomes a mass. So it might be better just keep them identified with the division that they're in.
Speaker 4: All right, I've already cast my vote for WWE Intergalactic Planetary Tag Team Championships.
Speaker 3: You've always called yourself that.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, going way back. All right, let's go to our next call. Let's go to four or four next four A four. Please state your name and where you're calling from.
Speaker 6: Jam from Atlanta?
Speaker 3: Hey, Jamal, what have you.
Speaker 5: Got for us?
Speaker 6: You know, I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon. It was a pretty good show and Monday Night Raw everything mattered to kind of remind me of like like late like ninety nine, two thousand, like raw, like everything made sense, everything slow, you knew why everything was happening. I just have two things. First about Roman Rings, how much do y'all think that it's like it's more of a punishment to him or is it more of like them moving Finn Balor and you know, solidify him as a star. Do you think it's a little bit of both? Which one do y'all think is more about? And do you think that like you know, if that didn't happen with him getting suspended, with this happened with Finn Balor? And also I just wanted to get your thoughts of like the people that didn't get drafted, like the injured, the injured stars, like like Nikki Bella and like Typhon Kidd and go to the two that come to my come to my, what do yall think that they're going to do, like if when or if they come back. Do you think they're going to have like a big deal. Do you think they just going to just put them on a show or do you think they're gonna have like a big like free agent signing thing about it.
Speaker 3: Or yeah, I said something like that, that's all great, yeah, Joe, good good topics.
Speaker 1: I think that if if Roman had not been suspended, Jason, uh, maybe the ratings would have scared them away anyway. But I think we probably would be looking at Roman raigns against Seth Rowlins a summer slign for the championship. I think this is a change of course, uh, based on in part TV ratings, struggling and wanting to create a spark for things, but also yeah, sending a message to the locker room that you know, and and to Roman you know, be careful. We got a wellness policy and we want you to adhere to it.
Speaker 3: Jason, your thoughts and here comes brock Leisure.
Speaker 4: But with Roman, I think it's a game chang. He probably doesn't drop the championship when he did, certainly, and I don't know that he would have dropped it at Battleground. That might mean, for all we know, Finn Balor may have ended up on the SmackDown side. They may have been giving him this push on that side of the brand split instead it. I do think it's kind of a combo that, hey, we're going aggressively with Balor and we're going to use Roman to some extent to help get there. It may be a game changers far as what they do with Roman's character. I mean, you've talked about it. Wait, I've talked about this is a potential out for Vince McMahon too. He can say face now and now you know. I was gonna it would have worked, but now that he got this wellness policy, I needed to turn him. I don't think that's going to happen based on what we saw last night, but I can't say for sure that it won't. So yeah, that's a big one.
Speaker 1: I think that the change, the change of course with Finn Balor. I just want to slip this in is something that WWB needed with a struggling rate. I mean, I think that creating a new star with the brand with a roster split out of the gate is really valuable and so I don't think it should and that might have been the attitude of Vince mc mann that, you know, it's not so much punishment for Roman, as here's a story that we can tell, but mostly we need to get somebody new over and get them over fast and create more depth on the raw roster by creating a star and making them a star coming right out of the gate. And so as we talk about you know, Roman and punishment and how that works, I think part of it has to just be seen as you know, this is just a desire to deepen the roster by creating a new star right out of the gate. I think that when Shinsky and a Kamura or an injured wrestler, and I hope Tyson Kid can come back, but I'm not convinced he will, that we will see a kind of an announcement by the Commissioner or the GM saying, well, we've been in a negotiating battle and we are proud to wnen ounce that we have signed free jin shins Kan Nakamura.
Speaker 3: Something to that degree. They could also do it where wrestlers choose.
Speaker 1: You know, we are thrilled that chins Kannakamura has chosen our brand, our show as where he wants to wrestle as a new signing who got promoted from XT Jason.
Speaker 3: How do you think they'll handle it? How do you hope they handle it well?
Speaker 4: I think it was very smart not to load up the draft with a lot of surprises. I don't know that it would have gone any differently. I mean, they could have peased that there were going to be some of that might have helped a little bit. I know on the pre shows they had kind of a wild card where you could pick someone outside of the established roster, and I was wondering if that would carry it over to the draft. And I know there's some disappointment that they just stuck with the people that were listed as eligible that ain't go outside. Save that, you know, you have all these weeks of programming. I think it's smart too. If there are any big names coming up, to introduce them at a later date, I think it's okay that you staggered that. So if they do bring in some free agents, as it sounds like they're going to, I think you do doesn't have to be stars, it can just be guys are going to help out. If they're a big enough name, if they have a little bit of name value from the past, then yeah, you make a fuss over them. Either you put it on the talent that chose to go to SmackDown over Raw, or you'd say that they get a hot free agent signing and you make it just kind of a surprise. There's different ways of doing it. It depends on the person. But yeah, I don't think they're gonna there's gonna be like a I don't think there's gonna be like some moreitorium on signing talent. I think if they want to introduce a new talent on SmackDown Tonight, even they could They could have Shane say that he's been working to sign this person do a deal, and they could go ahead and do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree with that.
Speaker 1: How would you like to get all your favorite sports teams merchandise delivered straight to your Doorstepfanessentials dot net is.
Speaker 3: Where you want to go for you.
Speaker 1: Did you know that you can enjoy commercial free versions of all of your favorite weight color podcasts and people you towards daily casts on Spotify. Just go to patroon dot com, search pw Torch and subscribe to a vip membership tier, you get a seven day free trial by the way to kick the tires a bit and see if you like the service, and then sync it with Spotify and you can listen to commercial free versions of our free shows like the Waykeller post shows, the Weaightkeller Podcast, Flagship, our flashbacks, and also the pw Torch Day The cast lineup again all commercial free and nice streamline listening experience. But with third tier membership you can also unlock all the VIP podcasts, including Everything with Rich and Wade, The Fix with Todd Martin that I host with Todd every week, the Wadkeller News bulletins, post pay per view roundtables, and an array of other VIP exclusive podcasts with different hosts and different themes. Check out the lineup, go to Patreon and search pw Torch and subscribe and sync it up with Spotify or stay within the Patreon ecosystem. Either way works. Go to Patreon and start your seven day free trial.
Speaker 4: So again, all the details available on the main pagereopro wrestling dot net. If you have any questions, feel free to hit me up on Twitter at pro wrestling Net.
Speaker 1: Excellent Jason, Let's go to our next phone call, continued talking about mostly predominantly last night's Row.
Speaker 3: I'm excited.
Speaker 1: We're just about six hours away from the debut of SmackDown, and that is going to be interesting what they do in terms of camrangles presentation, the new logo, the new intro song, but also what they do to set up some new feuds and how Danny Brian and Shane McMahon respond to in excellent Raw. I thought it was interesting, Jason. They talked about viewership numbers. Vince McMahon had kind of, well, not kind of, he had outright said that the commissioners the gms would be judged on ratings and viewership and social media and all that stuff. And Michael Cole and Corey Grays are breaking about not breaking actually talking about how SmackDown beat Raw last week in the ratings, and then Corey Grave said, yeah, but that's because all the Raw superstars were on SmackDown. That changes this week. Jason, He's probably right, it probably does. But do you think last night's Raw got people more excited to tune in and watch SmackDown Live? And did they do a good job with I know three or four commercials throughout the show really stressing that SmackDown goals live next, because if they're competing, you don't want the announcers on Raw overtly promoting SmackDown. So they got a little bit of a challenge there in terms of promoting. You know, the show's cross promoting each other. They have to kind of stick to the pre recorded commercials coming in and out of the brakes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and there weren't a lot of them last night. I didn't like that they didn't give away anything in particular. It was just kind of the same I believe, any of the same kind of generic video. It was a fine commercial, but just pretty random. You know, you could run that commercial pretty munch any week, it seemed like. But I think, yeah, Raw, I would It left me more excited. Battleground left me more excited about seeing Raw, left me more excited about being smacked Down. I don't know that that's going to be their case every week, but yeah, I really want to see what they have in mind for SmackDown. I was more excited about SmackDown this week than Raw going in again because they didn't make a big foss about giving Raw there's big makeover as much like Annuel Brian and Shane McMahon. We're spending so much time talking about all the changes that we're coming to SmackDown and Shane got control and all of that. And now that you know, now that we've seen what Raj's done, I'm very anxious to see just what they can do differently. I mean, it's amazing that Bence mcmahnon Kevin Dunn kind of broke from their pattern on Raw, and so now you have to think that they've got some other ideas for SmackDown too. Wow, what's going on with those two ways? This is a This is a shocker.
Speaker 1: I talked on the way Keller Hotline asterday for VP members. They hit every checkbox that I had almost for what to do to improve and tweak and freshen up Raw. I mean, think about the last, you know, six and a half years of this live cast. I think it's six and a half years now that we've been doing this. I've asked for squash matches, a fresh approach in terms of the positioning of the announcers, fresh announced teams, squash matches, pre match in ring or some ringside promos or backstage rolls, leaning into it video.
Speaker 3: I haven't talked about a lot.
Speaker 1: I haven't talked about this as much, but I'm a p opponent of having short video packages on the wrestlers competing in the main events. USC does this, you know, they show you a video package and some so I'd like to I'd like to have seen Roman Reigns and Fin Baler warming up backstage, kind their boots, you know, doing you know, stretching whatever kind of a locker room camp type thing like UFC does. But that little interaction with them backstage helped. And the the I mean, I could go on really. I mean, there's this long list of things that they did, and I like just about every change that they made. Every one of them lines up with things that I've advocated. The squash matches, the one sided jobber matches that we saw with Curtis Axel and in the women's match too, and the the adorable beating that Bronz Stroman's opponent did.
Speaker 3: I can't think of his name right off.
Speaker 4: He was a great James Elsworth wrestling God.
Speaker 3: That was fantastic, Jason.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is what I've been pushing for, and I've been pushing back against people going who would ever watch a squash match because it's short and you get to see the entrance, and you get to see James Ellsworth type characters take a beating, and you get to see wrestlers do their signature moves. I don't know if this will keep up, but I would love to see one squash match per hour on Raw every week. It gives wrestlers again, this was a case where they're trying to debut new wrestlers, or or I don't debut new wrestlers, you know, give a fresh start to bron Strowman, debut Naya Jacks. To a degree, maybe there's not a reason for squashes every week, I'm still for it. I would love to see two, if not three squashes per Raw, basically one per hour, to kind of break up the format of just having even Stephen matches with second tier wrestlers wrestling longer matches that nobody cares about.
Speaker 3: Your thoughts on that aspect, Jason, I just.
Speaker 4: Give me more squash matches that involve people other than the social outcast. Give me real job ors, you know, bring in bringing Ellsworth types. I mean, I don't know if you can strict Gold like he did with Ellsworth every week I mean that guy was just a a complete piece of work with such a great throwback.
Speaker 3: He'll do autographs. We grew up on Jason.
Speaker 1: He can do autograph shows for like a decade based on that one appearance.
Speaker 4: I don't want anyone's autograph and wrestling would I would stand in line for it.
Speaker 1: Yes, yep, Oh we got an email related so let me bring this up Jason. Hugh James of Glasgow, Scotland says simple things make a difference. The pre match interview with James Elsworth was great, as was the post match with Roman. No memorized scripts with stupid phrases. Nobody uses real talk with guys who are in the moment. Wade, You've been an advocate of enhancement talent matches for a long time and I think it appeals to all types of fans. Casual fancy talent looking dominant and impressive, whereas the smart fans find them fun and intriguing to watch because they have these goofy, awkward characters without the great physiques and good bodies. Why is it one of the only things I remember from Bound? Why is one of the only things I remember from Bound for Glory twenty thirteen is norv.
Speaker 3: Furnham.
Speaker 1: At the same time, though I didn't enjoy the Naya Jacks match. There's something about female size mismatch enhancement matches I don't like. Guess I'm more concerned about a green woman hurting a female jobber than the male equivalent. Thanks and keep up the great work. So anyway, Yeah, I mean su positive feedback on the squash for man, I feel wwe did a good job representing what I've been advocating about that and I really really hope they continued.
Speaker 3: Jason.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can't remember the brit something was the woman's name that they used, and I'd look at her as an enhancement wrestler. I look at the Great James Elsworth as a job or to me, in my mind only there's a difference, and I thought it was fine. I thought it was an effective showcase for Naya. I love that she picked her up in old school heel fashion. I'd like to see her even taking a step further when she's squashing people initially to ask for a five count like King Kong Bundy used to. I think that would be a lot of fun. But the difference to me between there's not a whole lot of different between the Naya and Bronze Stroman matches other than you know, Ellsworth just had the amazing charm. But the key to me is these were more effective than Neville beating Curtis Axle. That doesn't mean anything. Everyone beats Curtis Axel. And yeah, you know that, you knew NYA was going to win, You knew bron Strowman was going to win, and especially with Elsworth in there, you couldn't take your eyes off the screen. You know where Curtis Axle comes out. Believe me, I can take my eyes off.
Speaker 3: The screen absolutely, all right, I mentioned it earlier.
Speaker 1: Let's get a full plug in here for the lukekrate service, who are part of that community that luke crate talks about. It's pretty cool. Check it out luke crate dot com. Coupon code pw torch saves you three bucks back to the phone lines we go. You can also send us an email during the live cast. Pw torch live cast at gmail dot com is our email. Tomorrow Pat McNeil will be talking SmackDown and more, and then I'll be back on Thursday with a new live episode of Interview Thursday and then Friday. Bruce Mitchell let Travis Bryant, who were with me for nine or ten straight days, let's see seven, eight, ten straight days we saw each other until drove them to the airport yesterday. They'll be on the live cast to talk about a busy weekend wrestling and I'm sure share some of their experiences from over the Hall of Fame weekend. Also really really fun time Kyle Klingman and the whole crew over at the Dan Gable Museum and the Trego Stays Hall of Fame in Waterthough, Iowa just did a spectacular job with a really putting together, really fun weekend for wrestling fans. I met so many pw torch dot com readers, PW torch live cast listeners, people who have heard me on the Steve Austin Show. I was as a member of the Hall of Fame. I was inducted last year with the Jim Melby Award for Excellence in writing on Professional Wrestling. Dave Melcher, the Wrestling Observer, inducted this year. We were next to each other sitting in the autograph line and just it was great just taking pictures with readers and listeners and getting to meet so many of you from around the country and Big Ee was there. Had a chance chat with him about the New Day gimmick and his connection now to the museum and what a pleasure it was to have him make the trip to Waterloo to support the museum and be part of that. Stan Larry Hanson might have been the highlight for me though Jason, of the whole weekend. It was bar closing time. We both had a little bit of a buzz and he was all smiles as I gave him a hard cell. A hard sell to appear on the Paw Torch Live cast. He's one of the wrestlers I haven't had a chance to interview who I would love to have on this show or do a torch talk with. He was one of my favorite wrestlers in the nineteen eighties. He was one of the all time greats overall in the work he did in Japan in the nineteen nineties was phenomenal to really cool guy. I got to meet him and his son. I had some fun giving him the hard cell as he was saying goodbye to family and friends and heading to the elevator at the hotel. There's pictures up by the way of that, on my Twitter feed, you can follow me at the Wade and you can also friend me on Facebook. It's Facebook dot com slash Wade Keller Torch and there's some really cool pictures from the whole weekend. Again, that's Facebook dot com slash Wadekeller Torch if you want to friend me on Facebook. Some good conversations about the weekend are up on the site. Also, Alex Luger received a prestigious award at the Hall of Fame, but couldn't be bothered to show up because after agreeing to be inducted and go to the Hall of Fame, he got a better offer to go somewhere else and get paid more money, and so he sent in a video. And I think it speaks for itself what I think of that decision on his part. I think for his reputation, for his marketability to the fans who want his autograph, I think he would have been better off for going a brief a one time payday and fulfilling his commitment to a museum that is not a nonprofit that bestowed upon him and honor that quite frankly, he didn't deserve, as in terms of his accomplishments in the ring, his association with Luthes or George Tregos or that museum. I kind of tilted my head at from the beginning, but I thought, well, you know what he's been through some tough times and he's rebounded from it, and if he's got a story to tell, and it fits the spirit of that award, and it's an inspirational story, and he's willing to come in and, as a big name from the nineteen nineties and late eighties, be part of a four horseman panel. Because Tully Blanchard, JJ Dillon and Magnum Tia were part of a four horseman panel talking about the four Horseman days, Lex Luger was supposed to be part of that and I thought, well that that makes some sense. You don't have him come in as one of the horsemen. And nope, he took a bigger pay day somewhere else and left the museum hanging. So I want to thank Lex Luger for continuing to be the class act that he was always say full of sarcasm. I know a lot of people were really disappointed with with his decision, and I think he'll he'll pay a price in immeasurable ways, but it was disappointing and if I if I'm missing any side of this story, I welcome Lex Lucur to explain himself. But he was kind enough to send in a one or two minute video talking about how much the award meant to him, which I think a lot of people just kind of groaned at. And we're waiting for everyone to move on.
Speaker 3: So there I go.
Speaker 1: I had to get that off my chest because I believe in this museum and I know all hard Clyle Klingman and the whole team work there, and I thought that was a real lame snub on his part and very selfish, and he deserves to take a blow to his reputation for the choice that he made. All right, well, now go to the phone lines and continue talking about whatever it is you want to talk about. I suspect it'll be Battleground ron smackedun related.
Speaker 8: Need an extra dose of positivity in your wrestling podcasts, will come join me Alan four l Over in the Progress Paradise at Pedi georch VIP as we mask on the bright side of wrestling and focus on some of the great matches and shows from around the world, be it the US, Japan, Europe or Mexico, there's always a place for restlings past in the Paradise two. And we've done fun historical shows such as the We Love Liger series celebrating the glorious career of Jusian Thunderlinger and our Eye was there when shows where our guests will join me to talk about a classic bout that they were in attendance for. We love variety and you can expect lots of it at the Progress Paradise. Detailed pw torch VIP subscription information and a list of all the VIP benefits is available at pterwrew torch vipinfo dot com. And yes, all VIP podcasts are compatible with popular podcast apps on iPhone and Android devices, or you can stream them directly from our ad free VIP mobile site. See you in the Paradise.
Speaker 1: Let's go to ericode nine one two, next nine one two. Please state your name and where you're calling from.
Speaker 9: Michael Gorgeous, Hey Michael, thanks for Colin.
Speaker 3: What have you got for Jason to me?
Speaker 6: Roy?
Speaker 9: Last night was a great show. Everything Mattered, which doesn't have it in a while, and both the Fatal four Ways that were pretty good, except that they did like the suicide, eyed out over the rope and just took out everybody.
Speaker 4: But I like how the.
Speaker 9: Announced tables weren't there so they couldn't use them and had a difference. They're just like you throwing someone's head on it. I thought it fine in the crowd. I don't know if you saw it, but it's had Biggie Stout diving because apparently, like during all his ABBY matches, he does something almost hurt himself every time. Yeah, I don't know if you've noticed that.
Speaker 1: I was scared for him on Sunday it was looking Yeah, that was he doesn't need to do it, you know, didn't need to do the moon salt. I mean, there's certain he's a power wrestler. He doesn't need to prove that he's a high flyer, and he's gonna hurt himself. He's going to derail New Day and all their momentum for a completely needless spot just to try to prove some something that doesn't need to be proven. He should be the power wrestler and not the guy who's diving over and through ropes. So I actually like that fan sign. And by the way, somebody like Biggie doing a big spot. Yeah, it makes him look good, but it also diminishes the smaller wrestlers and what they do that sets them apart. You know, Biggie has power. That's that's his niche, that's his forte. That's what should get him over if he starts doing you know, crazy dives. It actually, I think undercuts a little bit what what wrestlers like Neville and Finn Balor and aj Styles do so for for lots of reasons, Mostly I just don't want to see Biggie get hurt because I'm really enjoying what he's doing right now with New Day on the mic and in the ring. You know, I hope WWE takes heat of that sign and it just says, you know, stop it.
Speaker 3: You don't need to do this.
Speaker 4: But if he wants to buster at once a year Mania, okay, we can talk. But yeah, I mean this has become way, it's just part of his act now, it's unnecessary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, We'll go ahead. I jumped in while you were talking, Michael.
Speaker 9: Another thing is like with like New Days world record title reign, it kind of annoys me how they only like defend it every other.
Speaker 3: Month, so.
Speaker 9: They would have done it like a week before or a couple of days before I defended their titles before they would have broke the record. I feel like a little bit more, especially if they did break in instead of just oh, we're not defending our title for a whole month saying we got the record. Who my final thing is? The main event was pretty good. I just the only thing that annoyed me was hav they not forget saying Roman.
Speaker 10: Is so strong?
Speaker 9: Well, of course, since Valor's like have this size. I like how they made Valor star. If they made Roman win, I would have like quit wrestling or something. I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's all I got, Michael, don't hang up. You got a little muffled and said what you didn't like about the main event? What was the aspect that you said?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 9: Was that uh annals? You kept saying, looks how strong Roman is, this sheer power, But Valor is half his size, so of course you can gotcha.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jason, I gotta say I almost started to feel bad for Roman almost because they in that four way match that he was it was designed for him to get over and he couldn't even get cheered against Seamus, they were booing him, and he's beating up Shamous. Nobody gets booed beating up Shamus. And also when he was working with Jericho, Jericho's done an amazing job getting himself over as a real heel. I thought his highlight reel with Randy Orton was one of the highlights of his career. I was such a fan of what he did with Randy on Sunday at Battleground and he couldn't get he couldn't get any cheers, he couldn't get a break. And then of course against Finn Balor, who's a babyface, that's probably not gonna happen either. Roman Rans is doing good work in the ring. I felt like that post match interview with him was the most real that he's come across. And I just whether it's as a fac or a heel, I want him to find his lane, find his groove, have somebody writing for him, who's who's better in tune with who he is, or even even more ideally, break away completely from scripted promos and just give him bullet points and let him be the guy that we see when he's hanging out with Rene Young on ww MEAN Network Now that said, when he's been let loose on media interviews, sometimes he's make some boneheaded statements that undercut his character. That's made me convinced that he's going to be much better as a heel when that day comes. But but yeah, did you have even an inclination Jason to feel a little bad for Roman by the end of the show.
Speaker 4: No. The only time I really did was Stephanie when during her promo when she called him a loser, because I, yeah, it's the heel, Stephanie, but it's also like the first time that you've seen him on raw since the suspension, and it just felt like it was a bit much, especially if he's the guy you're mad at. Why are you turning around and giving him and yet another chance to win the title. You know, it's a new title, but it didn't even make sense from his consistency standpoint, elevating Seth to the main event and did I didn't like it. I was not a fan of it. I just say, go ahead and let set to earn his way too. But once you saw it, okay, they're going with four waves, I kind of understood it, but it's I don't I just yet, You're trying to get over a new championship, and we're already playing the heel general manager games with it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely all right, we got to get our third break in our first hour. Here the programmer right around the one hour mark, So let's go to our third break. When we come back, we're going to take more phone calls, more emails, and comment more and everything going on in wrestling. A very big week so far, with a really fun evening to come. I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing what they do with SmackDown. As you mentioned, Jason, what are they gonna do to make SmackDown seem fresh? Because to me, Ross stole all the ideas I had. Have the announcers on the stage stand with their back to the ring, new camera angles, new music, in ring interviews. It's all the stuff that I thought they would do to differentiate SmackDown. So I'm curious if they have anything new that will look different than the old SmackDown but also different than last night's Raw. I hope they do, and I'm curious to see what they come up with to differentiate the shows and make them seem like the same production team didn't come up with changes for both shows. I'm not sure we're going to get that back down.
Speaker 4: I think I think their new calling card is going to be it's the only weekly television show where you can see a wrestler be put through a broadcast table.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: With the mounts of the art ring side, that might be the case. At least they no one can They won't be subject to fans with cameras taking pictures of the script over their shoulders anymore.
Speaker 3: But anyway, all right, let's go to our break. When we come back, more calls.
Speaker 1: We're back with Jason Powell from Pro Wrestling dot Net, and we are taking your phone calls. Let's go to our next call on the phone banks, We've got Erico three or five, three or five things for calling.
Speaker 3: Please take your name and where you're calling from.
Speaker 10: Hey, guys, DJ from Miami adj.
Speaker 3: What have you got for us?
Speaker 10: I got two things. My first thing is the title. I don't know abouue you guys, but I cringed name. I don't know how many jokes I saw on Twitter already, but why do you think they picked that name? Of all names? And my second thing is hold on.
Speaker 1: I don't know what's wrong with it as Jason pointed out, if you know your wrestling history, the Universal Championship was Puerto Rico's main title. Bill Watts had the Universal Championship when he changed his name from Mid South to the WF.
Speaker 3: It's it's just a name for a title. I don't get.
Speaker 1: I don't get I don't understand the resistance to it, and I'd like to know what a better option is.
Speaker 10: I just I mean that name. I don't know why, but like it just doesn't stick out. Maybe it's SmackDown, but now Raw, Like maybe the Raw should be the heavyweight champion and then SmackDown should be that, you know what I mean, because Raw main show. I guess maybe I'm thinking, you know what I mean, I don't think that title sounds a good name for Raw compared to you know, SmackDown or you know, NXT.
Speaker 11: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Well, hopefully the wrestlers are the angles are good and none of that really matters all that much.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it's acceptable.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, And I mean I was really refreshed on the announced team. I'll I'll just put that out there.
Speaker 9: I'm I've been watching this for a year.
Speaker 1: Then was great, Hey, j I want to take one thing out time here, Jason you quick review for Corey Graves. I thought he was really refreshing to hear him for three hours.
Speaker 4: Big thumbs up. And I got to say Michael cole'sm been better the last couple of nights. I thought he had a nice night at Battleground. I thought he was better last night. Byron is the problem. And it's not even so much what he says during the matches. Always it's that weird need they have to make him look like a jackass. I don't know what it is, but they always have him do something when he's on camera that he it's like they think it's endearing, and it's just a huge turn off. It kills his credibility. It has to stop.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree, it's it's kind of the push. It's it's the Ron Elcer version to push someone into the pool.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It's just Evince does just seem like he can't not be picking on somebody. And I mean, I think it's like this Jock Thermmel, We're all getting along and we pick on somebody, and friends do that with friends. But I think it just undercuts any kind of anything that Byron has going for him in terms of people taking him seriously.
Speaker 3: It gets a little much. I'll go ahead, DJ.
Speaker 2: Out kept put my comment that I really fee would have had Jerry Lawler because I think that Jerry Lawler and Graves could have bounced wrestling things off each other and then made Michael colemore hype. I think that that has been great compared to you know back you know that's the same thing. I think the same thing that that that you know he's the main one.
Speaker 3: He even needs to leave yep.
Speaker 2: But my second thing is real quick is I just don't know where they're gonna go and snack down. I feel like right after I don't know, do you guys think that they don't know what's gonna go on and they're still deciding what's good about Do you think it's gonna be a three way uh and SummerSlam or do you think that right after Summers it's gonna be a j and and.
Speaker 4: And Dean that's it, Jason, what do you think if we're talking title mess? They could I mean, I don't know what's next for Dean Ambrose. That's one of the things that intrigues me about Tonight's show is figuring out what that is. Because you look at John c and AJ Styles, you would think they would be having their rubber match, if you will, because seeing it did beat Styles in the six man tag. I didn't like that by the way. I thought it was kind of the reason you had a six man tag was to avoid having John cen to get his win back. And you say it for SummerSlam. But maybe the fact that they are even now means that somehow they will come up with a triple thread with Dean Ambrose defending against both guys. I'm not quite sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we gotta wait and see DJ any closing comment, We got to get to other callers with the time we.
Speaker 3: Got left here.
Speaker 10: That's pretty much it.
Speaker 2: You just I hope they really, you know, will find out tonight if you know if they can.
Speaker 9: Top braw or be Let me ask you did you guys.
Speaker 10: Say, what's what the rating is going to be for SmackDown.
Speaker 1: And for a good, good, good time Jason to predict we got two point two ratings for nine second?
Speaker 3: What do you what do you think? What do you think this week?
Speaker 4: Two point two? Last week? I will say that and I don't think there's as much much interest in the early part of the Democratic Convention as there was Republican last week. I'll say Raw the night after a pay per view, I'm gonna go all the way. I think they can get to a two seven. I really do SmackDown. I don't know. I don't have a strong feel for that sixty second. I think there's a good chance that I think they stay around the same, which I think is fine because I last week it was about the draft. You know, it's funny what they actually said was true, the rating that SmackDown God was actually about that. But Battleground was good. Raw was good. Raw left me wanting to see SmackDown, and so maybe that carries over and they do get that. They do bring up most of last week audience back to see what the new SmackDown is all about.
Speaker 1: I'll predict two point four something for Raw and a two point zero something for SmackDown. That's those all right, those are my numbers. We'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 3: How we do.
Speaker 1: You know that last segment you're just listening to and the next one that you're waiting to listen to, those can be one second apart. With a VIP membership, you can unlock our commercial free versions of our shows. Pw torch dot com slash go vip tells you how to do it. That's pw torch dot com slash Go VIP options exist within the Apple podcast app using your Apple account through Patreon, which, by the way, you can sync up with Spotify or just about any iOS or Android app. With a full VIP membership, you can customize the feed for individual shows and clusters of shows and themes. Go to pw torch dot com slash go vip for full details on all the options to listen commercial free and with upper tier options unlock our the IP exclusive podcast run throughout the week every week.
Speaker 3: All right, Tom, do we know yet?
Speaker 4: And we figured out when they brag about the rating, are they bragging about viewership?
Speaker 3: Well, they breaked about both. The viewership is in a weird quirk.
Speaker 1: Last week for SmackDown was higher than rob but the rating for Raw was higher than SmackDown because they were so close and not for I don't want people's eyes to glaze over. But my understanding is that viewership includes everybody who watches for a few minutes, and the rating is the average number of people watching at any given time that's translated into a percentage of all people with access to the show, So there's a slightly different formula for each. So a rating can be lower, but the viewership can be up because it means more people watched for a short amount of time. So nevertheless, but it was basically a tie last week, I mean really within the margin of error. So they braked about both, or they weren't.
Speaker 3: In brag.
Speaker 1: They acknowledged both last night, most week, most weeks, it won't matter. Cole said that SmackDown had a bigger rating last or more viewers last week. And then I think I think it was Corey who said, yeah, we drew a bigger rating than them, and it's just one was true, one wasn't. But they essentially tied. So all right, nine, thanks for holding. Please state your name and where you're.
Speaker 3: Call it from.
Speaker 11: Guess my name is Casey.
Speaker 3: I'm cutting from Laredo, Casey from where Laredo, Texas?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh cool, excellent what you got for us.
Speaker 11: I just had a few comments on one. Since Raw is getting a new championship, do you believe that they're going to split up the tag team champions?
Speaker 9: Sorry if we already.
Speaker 12: Spoke about this.
Speaker 11: And two is that, since SmackDown has a small roster, do you believe that they will have their pay per views on Sunday as like rawwood or do you think they'll have their like pay per view themed matches on Tuesdays? And those are my two questions.
Speaker 3: All right, thanks?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think smack Down, Jason won't do what Impact has done, you know, where they basically have pay per views on their TV shor or anything like that. I'm not quite sure if I fully understand that that question. But what Jason, what's the latest on the pay perview schedule and brand or show specific pay per views on the schedule.
Speaker 4: There's a schedule that got out a while back that listed, you know, other than the big four pay per view months so everything. It was just for the remainder of the year, but it was a two pay per views per month aside from what must be November for Survivor series and obviously August with Summer Slam, so starting in September, and someone in WWE, I'm under I was told kind of yeah, that's pretty close, and so I think you're going to get separate Raw and separate SmackDown pay per view events. They are both listed for Sundays, nothing saying they can't change that going forward if they feel like they can do something on a different night. I kind of wish they would experiment with another night. It would be fun, but they're going to it looks like they'll stick with Sundays, and so you'll get a raw pay per view on one one Sunday. A couple of weeks later you'll get a Smacked Down.
Speaker 1: The tag titles, Stephanie did not say we need to have our own Take Team Championship. Well, we're wait a second.
Speaker 4: Are they already have them?
Speaker 1: They already have them, So that's right. So we're going to see tonight if Daniel, Brian and Shane say we need to have Take Team champions and if they do, do you think it'll be Intercalactic tag titles as you mentioned.
Speaker 4: Jason, Intergalactic Planetary Tag Team Champions because they have the best boys reunite to come out and introduce these titles. I think you will see SmackDown get its own set of tag titles.
Speaker 3: I think they.
Speaker 4: I'll lead the door open slightly. I think we're also going to get a women's championship. I'll lead the door open slightly that Sasha as a babyface wants to be a fighting champion and go back and forth if they feel like there's a depth issue. But I think you're just going to see SmackDown get its own Women's Championship, and I guess we'll have to wait and see what the name is. That's why if they do this, that's why I'm in favor of just rebranding everything on Raw Universal as far as the world titles are concerned, and if SmackDown has its own Stepper one, just go with whatever they're going to call it, rather than well, there's the w WE Universal Championship and the w w E Tag Team Championship on Raw, but on SmackDown there's the WWE Championship and then some weird game for the women's and you know, it's just it's too much. They need to simplify that.
Speaker 1: I totally agree with that. All right, let's go to irego two one o x two one. Oh, thanks for calling to state your name and.
Speaker 3: Where you call it from.
Speaker 12: Hey guys, James and Santonio, Hey.
Speaker 3: James could do from you? What have you got for us?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 12: So, I think pretty much everything about the shows it's pretty much been said.
Speaker 11: I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 4: Of course.
Speaker 12: The easiest thing I could say is is kind of what what's old is new again? That's kind of how it felt to me. Is they they you know, went back in time a little bit by moving the uh moving, moving the announcers to where they were, and making it more about the entering product. I felt so I feel like they were pushing less stuff down our throats like than they normally do. I feel like they're always, you know, throwing out all these different twitters and and all these different things, but like they did less of that.
Speaker 9: One thing it was missing to me was Vince McMahon. I felt like this show like he took the week off.
Speaker 12: Or something, and like his fingerprints, I couldnt see him on this show at all. It just really seemed like it was like, this does not seem like a show that he would approve of or put out and just want to see your guys take on that.
Speaker 3: See. Here's the thing.
Speaker 1: I've been an advocate for the roster split because I felt that it would give SmackDown a chance to if Vince McMahon was willing to let some other ideas that same with Kevin Dunn and the normal people with all the influence on Ron' SmackDown. You give them a chance to step away Jason and let somebody else have a vision and tweak some things that Vince just would.
Speaker 3: Think wasn't worth the trouble or why would you do that?
Speaker 1: Or that stupid and be free of that kind of criticism or gofying and just instead let someone do it. And if SmackDown Jason had been what Raw was last night, I would have felt vindigated, vindicated from the criticism or the skepticism or the cynicism that this could be possible. And then Raw went and stole all the SmackDown's thunder. I mean, this really did feel like a show with a different vision.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: Yes, we had a talking segment at the beginning with Stephen Hunt and Foley. I could not believe people were complaining we didn't see more of them as a show went on. My god, no, thank you that they're I mean, yes, we saw them on Battleground, and I mean they're going to be a presence, but don't we don't need a lot of them.
Speaker 3: This was a show.
Speaker 1: After they did the necessary setup of announcing the championship and the Fatal Four Ways and the Summer Slam Step. They got out of the way and we let the announcers be announcers, and the wrestlers be wrestlers, and the interviewers be interviewers, and it worked.
Speaker 3: Jason.
Speaker 1: If this had been SmackDown, I'd have been like, this is what I said the day that we talked about the roster split. Let somebody with a different vision really differentiate the shows. It's why I'm really really intrigued by what they do with SmackDown tonight. I don't know what goun invincement man in either allowing somebody to change things up this much, but I would call that the biggest overhaul to Raw in a lot of little ways that added up visually and format wise, the biggest change that I could remember. I guess since they, you know, kind of upped their game up against Nitro when they had to after having a pre taped one hour format and they went live and really kind of changed things. I'm yeah, I'm intrigued as we hear more about the behind the scenes aspects of what went into Raw, and I hope they are, as I said, able to differentiate SmackDown equally exactly.
Speaker 4: This has to be an exciting time in WWE for people and creative for people in production, because you know, they've had a lot of ideas that have just been ignored because they were so set in their ways and everything was just so formula. But now all of a sudden, apparently Vince Pickman is open to change, and Kevin Dunn, whether he wanted to he or not, he has to be open to change based on what we saw last night, And for all I know both guys are responsible for everything we saw, I doubt that's the case. It just seemed like they were finally open to a major overhaul. It was needed, it worked, and the interesting thing is they weren't really promoting that for Raw. Raw was just a Stephanie and Mick, and Mick was kind of echoing what Daniel Bryan had to say, and so I was I was like, Okay, we're going to get a new logo, and that's all I really knew. I didn't know we were getting this big overhaul like they did, And so I went in with my guard down and was came away Barry pleased.
Speaker 1: I do want to mention MMA torch dot com as our sister brand and there's big news coming out of the Fox event over the dot com and pwtorch dot com. Jason the enhancement line at Battleground by Randy Orton and brock Lesner. Speaking of brock Lesner here, Romeo says, was the enhancement line for Morton on Sunday scripted? Will brock Lesner care about it? And we'll WWB book Lessner any differently against Orton because of the drug tests? Will Randy get in more offense than he would have before? Might he even win?
Speaker 3: Good email? What do you think of that, Jason?
Speaker 4: Does brock Lesnar know about it? If you think crock sitting at home watching the network WWE network, I.
Speaker 1: Think he has a cell phone and self service in Saskatchewan. I think they have self service up there. I bet he's heard. Paul Hayman probably called him antill.
Speaker 4: He may have heard. I mean, if possible, somebody gets some worked up about but he has to know this is a possibility. If they didn't talk to him about it ahead of time, I mean, it's all over the place. He should be thankful that WWE isn't turning him into as I feel like they should. They should be suspending this guy, and he should be if nothing else, needs to be thankful that all right, UFC probably isn't an option for a couple of years, and it's probably the end of his UFC career, so he has WWE they're not turning this into a big spectacle to promote their own wellness policies. I mean, I just think they should do the right thing on this. But no, I think the line was very scripted, and I actually like the setup more than the actual line. I know that's the one that got everyone going ooh, but I thought it was great. They don't take fifteen twenty suits Suplexers to get to Supplex City, and it takes one RKO to get to Biberville. I thought that was that That was the line to remember, not the ooh he said enhancement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought that was a great I said it earlier. I mean, Jason, what a great promo from Randy Orton. You know, we talk about people with you know, raw having a fresh look and introducing new talent. I really liked what Randy Orton showed on Sunday. He just felt looser and more comfortable, less in that narrow lane. And I'm that's one of the reasons I'm eager to see where they go with him starting tonight on SmackDown. Good good stuff. Thanks to our callers. If we didn't get to your call, you can drop us an email right now for the VP after show that Jason and I will be recording momentarily for not only PW Torch VP members but also his Pro Wrestling dot net members. That'll go up a little later this afternoon as some bonus content beyond this edition of the live cast. The email addresses PW Torch Live Cast at gmail dot com. Uh, Jason, any any closing words, anything that you want to that's on your jetta to talk about in the after show.
Speaker 3: It's a little teaser here.
Speaker 4: Maybe, I mean, I think we'll talk a lot of WWE, but one thing I kind of want to talk about, whether you think that WWE gets on a roll with Rawn SmackDown, if that's going to have a negative effect or positive ones on all these shows that air later in the week, and just any promotions and everything else.
Speaker 1: Good topic, Very good, All right, thanks everybody. We're gonna close with a plug.
Speaker 3: What for VP.
Speaker 1: Don't always good to have you on the show and we'll talk to you after the closing music and.
Speaker 4: Commercial Here sounds great. Good to be back with.
Speaker 3: Hey stuff. Do you ever watch WWE and think it used to be better?
Speaker 13: I don't know, josh Sometimes I think it used to be a whole lot worse.
Speaker 3: I mean, whether it's WrestleMania main.
Speaker 13: Events, old dudes at the top, too many titles, or Women's wrestle We're here.
Speaker 3: To answer the big question, is it worse or better?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 13: Join me Joshua White and me Stephanie Cheese for Worse or.
Speaker 3: Better part of the PW Torch Daily castline I'm dropping on Monday nights.
Speaker 13: Sech PW torch in your podcast apps such as Apple Podcasts or Spotify to subscribe for free or get a commercial free version with the PW Torch VIP membership. Check out pw torch dot com slash go vip for details and going vip Worse.
Speaker 3: Or Better Finally something for wrestling fans to do on Monday nights.
Speaker 1: All right, we're here on the VIP after show portion of today's PW torch live cast on Tuesday, July twenty six, twenty sixteen. Jason, I know we're not you know twenty anymore. But I was a little taken aback at how difficult it was to get in and out of my car that the forty eight hours following our bowling marathon session last Thursday.
Speaker 14: Yeah, that was I planned ahead in the sense that I knew from a previous bowling outing that you got to stretch the hamstrings a little bit. For me, it's the plant leg. I once was limping around the house for like three days afterward. I was more concerned about my back, but yeah, my hamstring once. I don't know if I must have just strained it, but yeah, it was in incredible pain. This time around, it was the back which has been flaring up a little bit. But it was a blast, and I am proud to say. I don't want to make a big fuss for this way, but I did beat you by one pin in four games.
Speaker 1: That's the thing that we put together. Because it was Jamie Pennock from mmatorch dot com.
Speaker 4: Doesn't count. What's that doesn't count? He finished higher than I.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm not talking about people to finish. I'm just talking about the people who were there, because anybody who scored more than we were not talking about exactly.
Speaker 3: Other than which we'll get to.
Speaker 1: But there's Jamie who is doing all kinds of trick shots, and then Bruce Mitchell and Todd Martin and Travis Bryant from the Torch, and so we had a good three on three series of games, going on four games in a row, kind of played teams, and in the end the grand total of all my games and the grand total of all of your games was one pin different. That meant you what you You scored on average one fourth of a point more than me over the course of four games. I did not know that we were both equally so awesome at bowling.
Speaker 3: Jason, Oh, it's just it too.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean our one twenty something average I think would shock and awe a lot of people there. There's I don't know about you. I've I've already received request to join the Pro Bowling Tour.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 1: Travis Bryant averaged in games one, two and four, I think around he averaged like sixty four.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't even think I'm exaggerate. He awful.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Travis, Games one, two and four, Game three one eight seven, I mean I might be on by a fit or two.
Speaker 4: He topped one ninety.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was. It was insane.
Speaker 14: He had answer full two hundred and the last ball just didn't work out.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it was.
Speaker 14: And then I told him the next game because he came down to the final frame and I think he needed like five six pins to get a hundred. I'm like, you have to top one hundred or the last game was complete fluke, and he ended up with ninety nine.
Speaker 3: You're right, because he was.
Speaker 1: He was actually aiming at the end there for for a two hundred game and came really close.
Speaker 4: He did. Yeah, that was.
Speaker 14: I mean, he just couldn't miss. It was four strikes in a row, which I know three strikes as a turkey. I don't know what four strikes is, and I think we all agreed that it's just four strikes. I don't think there's a cool name for like after turkey, you think they just move up in the bird world, but they don't.
Speaker 3: But yeah, there's nowhere up from Turkey.
Speaker 14: No, apparently not. He just other than perfect. There there's nothing in between. There's a Turkey and then there's a perfect game. You'd think they'd have some other milestones in there, but they don't.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that was. That was awesome. I just was cheering them on.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to find the uh, the photo of the final scorecard here. I took so many photos this weekend.
Speaker 4: What wait was?
Speaker 1: Oh that's not Oh there's bowling u Oh that's confusing. Oh there's the scores all right, so let's see here.
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: So my, oh, come on, phone, stop rotating on me. So my totals, I did one thirty one, thirty six, one on one and one oh four. Really, that's terrible. And then you did one twenty seven, one fifteen, one twenty four, one oh two worth Travis here ninety nine, Okay, so I exaggerated. He did score sixty on game four, but it in ninety nine, and oh his second game was a good one, one ninety five. So and from ninety nine to one ninety five and then ninety six and sixty. Although I might have these in reverse order because it's just chicken scratches, as somebody else wrote down to the score. But yeah, so as low with sixty, his high was one ninety five. That's freaking ridiculous.
Speaker 14: It well, I mean he looked like a pro that that game that he did so well he I mean, the guy could admit, if you just walk in and saw that game, you'd think like, Wow, this guy's an amazing bowler.
Speaker 4: And he was for one game.
Speaker 1: I know, yes, unbelievable. Yeah he had he had forty eight points in game one. Through eight frames he had zero and then a spare and yeah he had a double double gutter ball in frame six, three on the following frame and three another frame player. I mean, just an awful game and then one hundred and ninety five on the next game. There's It's not like he said, oh I need to change my ball or wear my glove or stretch like it just happened.
Speaker 4: Well, was he drinking? I mean that helped me.
Speaker 14: I just to get a couple of beers in me and then all of a sudden my score went up a little.
Speaker 1: Bit, apparently as a very small window to be great.
Speaker 14: Maybe maybe it was like he had just enough beers or whatever he was drinking for that game, and then he exceeded the limit after that and just went went in the tank. I think you should work at it, because I've gone I like to go bowling, I don't know three four times a year or something like that. I don't think I've ever scored as high as he did, so he has it in him. Greatness is there, he just needs to work at it.
Speaker 3: The very last game.
Speaker 1: I played, Todd and I had a little rivalry going at the Todd Martin, and we were really really competitive in that last game. I ended with one hundred fourteen and he ended with one hundred fourteen. It was like it was like it was a we were the last bowlers of the whole evening and it was like a double count out finish.
Speaker 3: Nobody was happy.
Speaker 1: There was there was no confetti, there was no ring music or no no celebration music, there were no high fives. It was we kind of looked at each other like, all right, that's all nothing. So but a really really fun time. So glad even though Verus was there. Yeah, that was fun, absolutely all right. So let's talk some wrestling. Jason, you went to asked you brought up an intriguing question, which is, no matter what Ron SmackDown do ratings wise, will it help or hurt especially? I guess he and I impact Moving to Thursday Nights, they had a pretty strong, a solid debut last Thursday. Yeah, and now they have a replay again, I guess on late Thursday nights. I don't know if that's going to be. Is that a regular thing now? Jason replays on Thursday nights again.
Speaker 4: Oh the first I'm hearing of it. I didn't even know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. I think, let me actually bring the ratings up if I can pull them up here quickly, because last week, there we go July twenty first, the first airing from eight to ten Eastern did three hundred and sixty two thousand, which is above their average and a good number. But they had forty eight thousand on a one am to three am replay, so they ended up with about four under ten thousand viewers total. But three sixty two is a bump from even where they were. Well actually for a new night, that's that's nice. It was a bump from their average. They were at four to ten on their last on the show, right after the final deletion episode.
Speaker 3: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just think three sixty two is encouraging on a Thursday night up against the Republican Convention. So yeah, I'm eager to see what they do. I think if people like wrestling and feel good about it on Monday and Tuesday, I think Thursday T and A can benefit from that, and it could help. I think ultimately TNA is gonna have to earn their own viewership, but I think it helps.
Speaker 14: I think the buffer helps. I think Wednesday night is super fan night. If you're not burned out from Ron SmackDown, you're watching NXT, you're watching a Cruiserway Classic and Luca Underground before its season just ended.
Speaker 4: That to me, you're a super fan, you really. I mean, not that you can't pick one to watch or something, but.
Speaker 14: I think the more casual audience, and who knows, maybe T and A at this point has made up of super fan viewers too. But I think that night in between, so even if we're on some backdown stink now, you just avoid wrestling on Wednesday, but by Thursday night you might be up for it. The big problem, of course, is that, well, they're going to be running into some serious network competition, they're going to run into NFL competition, They're going to run into a lot of NBA competition, and so it's kind of enjoy it well last I mean, I hope good things come on Thursdays for them. It's a good night for television as far as overall, viewership. That's been the pattern over the years. But it's also a really strong night for competition. And my biggest fear weight is that now that they're back on Thursdays, they'll think it's a good idea to bring back the damn Turkey suit on Thanksgiving.
Speaker 4: I am not covering the Turkey suit.
Speaker 3: Oh god, No, just pre empt them. Well, I'll just pretend like it didn't exist exactly. Yep. All right.
Speaker 1: Well, let's go to our emails, Chase. We've got some good emails. A lot of emails came in today. The first question on the email list with Raw pulling out, Oh, this is from Gervard m. With Raw pulling out all the stops hot shot booking last night, what can SmackDown do to one Uproar other than say an IC title change? And also, how can Ron SmackDown have floating champions while still maintaining a separate feel between the brands. Yeah, Jason, they don't have floating champions right. I don't think the women's or tech titles will float. I think they would have said that by now.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 14: And I think if you were gonna have floating champions, it would have started with the World champion, and like I say, you know, maybe Sasha, that's just because the number of women. I don't think that's going to be the case. But again, leaving the door open just a crack that they'll have the women's champion float, but I doubt it if they had. I mean, I was in favor of that. I just don't like having a ridiculous number of champions in wrestling.
Speaker 4: We're already there.
Speaker 14: I would have merged the US and IC titles and just had all champions float even and I think you could have kept that separate identity. It's just you have the same way that tear ories did back in the day. Now they weren't really competing with one another. But I still think there was a there's a way to do it, and there's a way to make it feel like a big deal when your guy is challenging the champion. You don't have to have the champion on every single show either, So I think they could have done it.
Speaker 1: The hotshot aspect of Raw, as I talked about at the top of the live cast that we did earlier Jason, does concern me. You know, have they set the bar too high? Can they follow up on this that does apply to SmackDown tonight and will smackdoone. You know, is the writing team and the talent ready to deliver, And I think they're probably over at Smackdone right now as we speak. There's already a legit competitive vibe going on in that locker room that did not exist when SMACKDOWNE was just the morning leftovers from Raw. And now you have a set of wrestlers who didn't work last night, who have one opportunity on national TV this week to get themselves over, not a second opportunity to just go through the motions. I think there's got to be excitement about being live tonight and trying to one up Run the ratings and build on the momentum from last week. I mean, this is not Roversus Nithrol. They're not head to head, it's not the same thing. But I think this is pretty It's pretty cool that if you imagine right now, the wrestlers are sitting there in the locker room and the riders trying to think of a way that they can break next week about one uping Raw on the ratings, which would be a huge upset for them, although they have the advantage of only being two hours and not three. So I just think we're going to see a really good effort on the part of most of the wrestlers. Yeah, there'll be somebody cynical rolling their eyes at this idea that they're going to be goaded into caring, But for the most part, I think there will be some brand pride that will make the shows better.
Speaker 4: I think so.
Speaker 14: I just question when their SmackDown has the horses to pull this off. I don't think they have a lot of depth. It's they're going to have, and it'd be different if it was. Well, I see a lot of guys that have been underutilized and that they can turn into start.
Speaker 4: I don't see a lot of those guys.
Speaker 14: It doesn't mean they can't have a good launch point tonight, they can't come out of the gate with a good, strong show, but just over the long haul, I think they need to bring in some people. I wish SmackDown would have been the home for the cruiser weights instead of RAW. I think they need it more than Raw does. Raw has enough depth. SmackDown is lacking. They did okay later. I mean there's a couple of there's an Apollo cruise that you can do more with her there. There's some people, but I'm just not excited by the SmackDown roster like I am, like I thought I would be. I really thought we'd see Kevin Owen, Sammy's a you know, it's cizarro at least one, if not two of those guys over there, and they're on Raw and I kind of feel they're going to get lost in the shuffle where if they were on SmackDown that they could be doing a lot more. And so I still hope I'm holding out hope for some trades here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just holding out hope that we're pleasantly surprised by what they do with Dean Ambrose, John's Sina, Dolph Siegler, Randy Orton, Callisto Apollo Cruise on the baby face side, and aj Miz and Bray Wyatt and Alberto de Rio and Baron Corbin on the heels side. Not a lot of depth as far as the women in Tay teams go. But uh yeah, I mean I'm intrigued. I'm intrigued by all of this, and it's a lot more fun than it had been. But SmackDown has something to prove for all the reasons you just said, Jason. Let's go to the the next email and go to Anna, who says, I don't watch NXT, but I've heard about Finn Balor from your podcast. I was excited to see him wrestle for the first time on RAW last night. See there are I think people who watch YouTube and New Japan and NXT just assume everybody's seen him. And there were a lot of people who saw Finn Balor for the first time last night.
Speaker 3: I mean absolutely.
Speaker 1: I mean there's people who would assume that I would see the star, the star rookie running back on the Tennessee Titans by week and nine of the NFL season, And I watched the Vikings, And if the Vikings haven't played the Titans, and and and I'm busy on Monday nights watching Raw and they haven't been on Monday Night Orunday Night football, there's a really good chance I haven't seen him, and I might not even know his full name like that.
Speaker 14: I remember a couple of years ago when Jimmy Graham was traded from the Saints. You weren't sure who he was, and he was pretty much at his peak at that point.
Speaker 3: I still don't even know who he.
Speaker 4: Is, sure, Well, I think he got injured last year, but still.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I mean I'm that kind of NFL fan. Like I listened to sports talk radio. I look forward to Viking games. When they're doing well, it's destination TV. When they're not, you know, I can still keep an eye on them, but it's just something I've sacrificed in my life, you know, something I just haven't haven't invested in a ton of time in over time, I've kind of pulled back from following it week by week, and you know, because I'm not in fantasy leagues and stuff. So my point in that is, you can be a wrestling fan who's really into raw and listens to wrestling podcasts and not have seen Finn Balor.
Speaker 3: You know, I listened to sports radio.
Speaker 1: I watch the Vikings every week, but I don't know a lot else that's going on in the NFL unless it's just something I get a quick brush up session right before the Vikings play them on a Sunday or Monday. So she's that type of fan. So she said he lived up to the hype for me, will it be difficult for WWW to push someone who isn't known to those people who don't watch NXT, and do you think Balori will beat Seth for the belt?
Speaker 3: Personally?
Speaker 1: He seems like a breath of fresh air from Seth and Roman. Jason, I think that wrestlers entered territories throughout all of wrestling history where fans didn't know who they were, and within a week or two or three you get to know him and it's up to them and the bookers to get them over. And I think the Wayfin Balor was book last night, I think he got over in the ring. I don't know that on the microphone he was all that impressive. I didn't really I didn't know what they were going for with the Roman interaction and so but I think the music video they did for him, I hope they keep doing music videos for the two main event at the two scheduled main eventers.
Speaker 3: I think that's a cool format.
Speaker 1: But I think Finn's got to show that he's more than a cool ring entrance in high spots and a good unique look. Overall, we got to know who he is and what he's all about, and so there's all some work to be done. But after the big week he had last week, I'm sure they'll do interviews with him on Raw next week.
Speaker 3: Just a reminder you can.
Speaker 1: Reach us at Wade Kellerpost Show at gmail dot com if you're interested in contributing to the Flagship or Wadekeller Post Show at gmail dot com if you're interested in submitting a question or a topic or even a rant on the Wade Keller Pro Wrestling post shows.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I'm curiously where they go with him because he was the humble guy when he kind of emerged from the big group on the stage and walked out to the front early in the show, and then he was very cocky with Roman Reigns and in their segment, So I don't think that's been established. But he can work as a top player on Raw, whether he has the title or not. They may give it to him to kind of signify that this is a new error to can't kind of continue that theme.
Speaker 4: Seth may need it more.
Speaker 14: I'm kind of torn there because there's part of me that wants to see Balor go on that chase, but I'm really bored by Seth as a heel right now. I liked last week's empty arena promo, but when it's just Seth rawlins, they made a mistake. I don't think there's much debate. I mean, some people will my donn At Stafford will prove it, but I think he's still among them who will. He feels like they made the right call in bringing him back as a heel, and I will just continue to argue it because I feel like I'm watching a rerun with Seth Rawlins right now.
Speaker 4: As great as his matches.
Speaker 14: Are, it's different when he's in the ring and he's you know, having a pay per view mane event, but the act feels tired and repetitive, and now that he's back aligned with Stephanie favoring him again, it feels even more repetitive. And so I don't know whether you give Rawlins the championship and run the risk that we've been there and done that before, or if you deprive people of Finn Balor's chase. I'm not which which direction do you think they go with?
Speaker 3: I think Finn Balor.
Speaker 1: Man I've been I've been hedging on this because if he wins, If he if he wins a championship at SummerSlam, you've you've cement that you've shot him to the top and he's sort of your you know, he's everybody's different, but he can be your kind of agent style Sammy's and Daniel Bryant ciampunk, the guy with indie cred, respect from the fans, and he can go in the ring. He can give you good matches and he's a he's a fresh act that people would be into. And then you don't kind of have him get kind of touch the the the main events but then drop back down again and get to find down kind of like Kevin Owens did, and they do it too many guys. My vote is for him to be the centerpiece, lead babyface act and that go all in with him for a while. I just think every once in a while you got to do that, and I don't think they have the talent depth to be picky about that. And then it's just it also comes down to what kind of rotation of heels can then you put against him on that raw roster. We saw teasers of a good number of them with Kevin Owens, and I mean, the heck you can even do a face face matchup with with Czarro. But there's also the chance in this kind of why aheadge that they could end up turning balor and if Balor's a heel, and he came across a little heel ish on on raw. He worked a squash match on NXT a couple months ago where I thought it was a rehearsal to show Vince Hey, I can work heel. But he's so undersized and so flashy, and that ring entrance with the arm extension going out is so positive, is so just. I mean, the fan participation of at ring entrance, and that's a big part of what's the appeal of WWE and go into live shows and watching people is being into the act. I just think even though he could be a good heel, I think he's in the wrong promotion for that, and they need somebody to be that undersized, underdog, athletic guy who has that great exciting ring entrance. So yeah, I kind of lean towards they should put the belt on him. I'm not sure that they that they will, and part of that has to be. Part of what goes into that calculation is where are they with Roman reigns right now? And I'm still not one hundred percent sure how committed they are to him long term. I do know that Romans had a chance to establish himself as a top baby face and hasn't worked. So I mean, I'd like to reshuffle, as you said, some of the face and heel slots that they're in. But I vote for I vote for fit going all the way with Finn Balor and keep it a babyface.
Speaker 14: Okay, yeah, I mean to me, he has to be the top babyface. It's and I think he needs to win the championship by the end of the year. I think I'm not saying it's wrong to put it on him right away because it's not.
Speaker 3: For me.
Speaker 14: It's do you give it back to Seth and have Finn chase him for a few months, maybe he wins it at Survivor Series or something like that. And I bring this up in part because I felt deprived last night watching Sasha Bangs win that championship. I don't think they've done a good job of telling her story on RAW. It's great, she has dreamed of this since she was ten years old. She's very cocky and there's an edginess to her and it can be a babyface character. But I don't think it got over great with the live crowd last night. I think had they done a better job and they hadn't been so focused on telling everyone this is a new era last night, or if they'd just done a much better job in the months leading up to this of telling her story, it would have been even bigger. It's something that people weren't buzzing all that much our callers, and it's a small sample size, but as well as that came off last night, Waite, I do feel a bit cheated that they just raced into this. You know, I thought SummerSlam was premature, but just because of the job that they the poor job they've done here. She I don't know what we're supposed to make of her. I guess she's a baby face even though she comes off comes across very cocky. Any thoughts on her? I mean, I thought it was a cool moment that just could have been better had they done that, had had they done a better job leading up to it.
Speaker 1: Well, we have an email question related to this, and let me bring this up as a ticket This is from Romeo. He goes as a ticket older for Summer Slam. I selfishly feel robbed of the Sasha Banks Championship win.
Speaker 3: Hey man, do you agree with their move.
Speaker 1: To randomly give it away on raw without promoting it ahead of time. I suppose it does make the potential rematch at SummerSlam more hard to predict. I mean, have we heard any news Have you seen anything Jason today on IF Charlotte, If there was some reason that behind the scenes that led to the kind of out of nowhere title change.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 14: I had somebody last night, you know, jokingly, we're gonna wake up and find out that she a wellness violation. The thought, blieve me, the thought crossed my mind watching that play out. I really think they just wanted to send a message of change and they got caught up in that.
Speaker 12: Ye.
Speaker 14: I mean, it wouldn't if we found out like she had to have has to take time away for whatever reason, it wouldn't shock me because it did feel that way, and whenever you feel that way, it's just it's a sign that something was missing. Even though it came off very well and the crowd was behind it, I gave it a hit today for that reason that you know that live crowd loved it. But I still felt like this could have been better had they just built up to this, And I hope they didn't do some long term damage for some short term gain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, Bailey at some point is going to be brought up and be added to the mix, and I just I don't know what's I don't know that Sasha is going to be somebody that fans are going to be willing to boom. Maybe against Bailey, they will. But part of the part of the problem with Sasha is she is so even when she's a heel, she doesn't stay in heal character, you know, like on Twitter, she doesn't after victory, she doesn't. I don't think that she's believable and consistent in portraying herself as a heel, and fans just see her as somebody who loves the business, works really hard, has great matches, and they just are naturally drawn to her and her cool factor and her appreciation for Eddie Guerrero and all of that. I just don't know that you can successfully make her a heel. I like Charlotte as a heel. I like Nia Jackson as a heel. But I think Bailey and Sasha ideally would be on separate brands and the co lead, you know, lead babyfaces on separate brands. So there's part of me that thinks, Okay, they had their tag match but now Bailey should strengthen the SmackDown roster. And maybe that's why the SmackDown roster is so weak to begin with with Natty, Becky, lynch Me, Alexa Bliss, even Marie and Carmela. That's not a loaded women's lineup. Maybe it's weak because they do plan to have Bailey good Land there and feud Bailey against Natalia, and that works for me. And then at least you keep Sasha as a lead face on Raw sharing that spotlight with Page and then you have then you have Bailey as the lead babyface act on SmackDown. I guess that that works for me better, so that that's kind of how I'd like things to play out as far as that goes.
Speaker 14: I actually wish wish that Sasha and Charlotte were on opposite brands because I think that Sasha playing the heel role is what brought her to the dance, and I think the elements of her not playing into that twenty four to seven can be corrected if they want to stay on top of that. Charlotte, I mean, Charlotte basically came up and played a version of Sasha Banks and NXT is the heel in a strange way, and that's why I always want, how are they going to slot Sasha and if they can, if they can start to tell Sasha's story more effectively, she'll be a fine babyface champion, she really will. But I just don't know where you go with Charlotte from here. They spent what the top five draft pick on her and she loses right away, and it just it caught me off guard, and I think that was by design that they wanted to surprise people with this. But again, I feel like there was part of the story missing. We talked, You talked about Roman Reigns or the emailer who wasn't familiar with Finn Valor. Aside from reputation, I think there's a lot of people like that. I don't know what the non NXT viewer is cheering right now about Sasha Banks, because the story has been very generic. She dreamed of this and she was ten great. I'm sure a lot of wrestlers did too. But beyond that, she again, she's very cocky and we've seen her come and go. There was no journey with her on the raw end of things. So if you're an NXT fan and you're happy, I get it, but put yourself in the shoes of somebody who only had seen her on the main roster, and I don't know what there is to really celebrate other than good someone beat Charlotte.
Speaker 3: Right, you know I agree? Okay?
Speaker 1: Next question, Devin from Iowa City says WWB started Bronz Stroman's repackaging. If his match last night is any indication he still needs some mentoring in the ring, would it be beneficial if they were to put him with a veteran big man like Big Show. I know that Undertaker mentored Big Show early and chose WWW career on screen and backstage. It could be very beneficial to Stroman. Jason Bronze Stroman is limited. I think there's room for a monster, dominant power heel who has a who hits a certain threshold of competence in the ring, hopefully somewhere higher than you know Jeep Swinson did in World Class in the nineteen eighties or Bill Casmier. Oh, he was some baby face powerlifter, but he was green and rough. You know, Dad got his autograph on it. But you you want Braun. If you're gonna have bron on the roster, you want to see him get better, but you know the role that he's in. I mean, I don't think it's the end of the world if he just squashes a munch people and then it ends up in a feud with somebody where, you know, you tell a little story arc where a finn Balor overcomes somebody much bigger than him and you use him as a role player. I Braun doesn't strike me as somebody who's gonna be around in five years. You know, he strikes me as a big guy who comes in for a cup of coffee. You get a little bit out of him, and unless he improves dramatically, you send him on his way.
Speaker 3: Admit it.
Speaker 1: You love Nick bar Batty when he co hosts with me on the Wadekeller Post shows. Well, now you can listen to him every week on The Nickys Club, a VP exclusive podcast. Here's Nick to tell you more.
Speaker 15: Hey, wrestling fans, It's Nick Barbatty and I'm back with the Nickys Club, the place where the family of Nickys comes together for big laughs and Shark takes on WWE for WrestleMania rumors to surprise returns.
Speaker 3: I got you covered.
Speaker 15: The Nickys Club where the wrestling feels like the coolest club in town.
Speaker 1: Nick Barbatty wants to be part of your pro wrestling life every week, so why not let him go vip PW Torch dot com slash go vip for full details on signing up. We're compatible with Patreons, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and just about any other iOS or Android app out there. You also stream directly from our ad free VIP website. The Nikki's Club waiting for you every week at PW Torch vip.
Speaker 4: I'll finish that quick.
Speaker 14: My dad got the autograph at Packers training camp because the Bill Kasmi actually tried out for the Green Bay Packers. My dad doesn't give Yeah, he doesn't care at all about wrestling, but he did meet him there and was just in awe of how big this guy was and also what a nice.
Speaker 4: Guy he was.
Speaker 14: But anyway, Strohman, I thought the look was much improved, you know, now that he's out of the wyat gear. He kind of looked like the biggest member of War Machine in a way, but it was.
Speaker 4: I liked the change.
Speaker 14: As far as Big Show being the mentor, a lot of that depends on where Big Show's head is at, because Big Show has been a guy over the years who was very protective of his spot as a giant. He's made life miserable for some people who had similar size. And if he is going, if he's at a place in his life now where he knows the end is near, he's not nearly as protective, and hopefully.
Speaker 4: They know that.
Speaker 14: And then yeah, I don't want to see the match on TV. I have no interest in seeing it. But if you want to pair them up on the house shows and I don't have to see it, cool, But I mean, that's not about Caine's another guy they could do that with. Neither match is attractive, and I almost I hope that some of this was happening when they were having tag matches with the Wyatts, because I don't know what you do with Big Show and Kane, but I think anytime you put them with somebody like Braun Strowman, if you're trying to get Stroman over, I think it's going to halt their progress as far as.
Speaker 4: Getting over with the fans.
Speaker 14: It may help them as wrestlers, but it can halt It can just bring down any type of interest level there is in these guys.
Speaker 1: He also says, do you think WWE might attempt to make the club a faction that it's on both Raw and SmackDown. It would only take AJA recruiting two to three people on SmackDown and one to two people on Raw make the cl a bigger deal and could lead to some great stories in the future thanks to keep up.
Speaker 3: The good work.
Speaker 1: Just looking at SmackDown, I don't know who would match up with with AJ, what what story could they tell? Looking at the SmackDown roster, Jason, uh that that would make sense to add to AJ to replace Matterson and Gallows.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm pulling it up here.
Speaker 14: Boy, I'd be careful with this, I because I'm with you in that I don't really see anyone that fits the club feel. I mean, Delf Ziggler needs to be repackaged. I don't know if you want to put them with AJ styles though, And yeah, just those I mean, yeah, yeah, and I'm hoping they do. But I want that to be more about the usos. I want I don't need to see them as sidekicks anymore. I want to see the usos develop their own personalities. So I'm not really being anyone for AJ on the SmackDown side. I've said, I'd much rather see and I don't think this is going to happen now at the club kind of establish their feud with New Day. I was hoping Anderson, Gallows and AJ would all just say screw you when it came to the brand split and force the trade where they they're going to show up when they want to show up, and people would complain that you're ignoring the rules of the brand split right out of the gate, but it would be done for a storyline purpose, and it would make them stand out as just defiant. And then, like I say, for whatever, if you want to send Anderson and Gallows over to SmackDown, they just they get their way. They you know, Stephan mcmhon throws her hands up. She's tired of them interfering in matches, and she trades them to SmackDown.
Speaker 1: What what if Aiden English and Simon Gotch between become change their names to Anderson English and Luke Gotch and they dress like Anderson and Gallows and they become kind of the new the new Cane or the new uh, the new fake Diesel and Razor, and AJ just pretends that or you know, just brings on two guys to be as Lackey's and just try to live up to the reputation of Anderson and Gallops.
Speaker 4: Well, Vince Russo, No, I mean that's where you have to go to.
Speaker 1: Like fine, I mean when you talk about the SmackDown depth chart, there's not a lot to work with where you would feel safe. Like you could say, oh, Apolo Cruz, turn him heel and have him be with AJ, and maybe that gives him an edge. Yeah, but can you afford to lose him on the Babyface side, which has a part timer in John Cena at best for the next several months.
Speaker 3: Uh So you got Dean and.
Speaker 14: You can take the makeoff makeup off the Ascension and repackage them. But I mean, I know, I don't think it's I don't really nothing grabs me as like, oh, this has potential as far as like being in the club. If they want to put new people with AJ but not have the club on both brands and it's just kind of a newer faction, Okay, then then maybe we can maybe we can talk, But I'm not seeing like anything with real club potential here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: After watching Okay, this comes from Jerry Jerry R. After watching Battle Ron and Raw. I saw my favorite sign ever, Biggie stop diving. Should the roster be taking big bumps like that on Raw SmackDown Network specials? I understand, but in the past two nights yet Biggie looked like almost broke as a neck, Sammy landhard on the apron, Sasha overshooting and almost breaking her neck and not a big bump, but the women's title almost overshot. Dana and my wife thought it was gonna land in the crowd. I'm not, Jason. I don't think like you said. You know, maybe Biggie does something big at WrestleMania, and I understand, you know, trying to do something big at Mania, but I sort of just think wrestle in a way that fits your character. And you know, now that the table's away from ringside at Raw, it's a good excuse for wrestlers to just slow down the risk taking and so that when there is a big dive spot, it's the one dive spot you remember for the week, as opposed to having multiple ones over two nights where it just becomes kind of a blur to people. It seems like enough of a risk. We've seen people catch their foot on the ropes people in a bad position, you take a flight, people aren't really expect them to be. To me, it's sort of like I think you if you're a wrestler and you want to do a big dive, I think you go to management and the producers and they make sure that nobody's doing more than one per show and it really stands out and means something, and then maybe that risk is worth the reward.
Speaker 4: Oh for sure.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I want to see them scale back now. Some of the examples he gave I don't think were all that risky. It just happened to be examples of moves gone wrong, you know. And I mean there's a lot of risk and wrestling in general, but like the Sami spot was just I don't know if he hit it wrong. I'm not even to pretend to know what happened there with the flip off the top rope. Risky, yeah, but it's something we've seen him execute hundreds of times, if not thousands of times and be just fine. So things like that can happen. Someone overshooting someone on a dive can happen. But believe it or not, they've pulled back on the suicide dives. That was I mean you could sit there and drink every time they'd have one on a Monday night and and you'd be hammered by the second hour. It just was suicide, die of hell. Now it's exploder supplexus. Can can they pull back on those a little bit? It seems like every other match now someone's hitting two or three exploder sueplexes. They kind of go through spurts with this. For a while, they were running people into the ring post leading into every commercial break.
Speaker 4: They just go.
Speaker 14: They have these weird patterns where all all of a sudden, they'll just run something into the ground, and I think that's the agents or producers that need to step in and go. We can't have nearly as much of this, but I have a bad feeling that like they're actually encouraging it for some reason.
Speaker 4: Why.
Speaker 1: One other thing I don't want them to overdo is the taking a big move and then popping up and delivering their own big move as oh yes, now I get every once in a while, you can tell the story there's an adrenaline rush, he got hit, he used every last verse of energy.
Speaker 3: They're both down. But that to me is sort of like, you know, you do that at Wressemania.
Speaker 1: You do it, you know, four times a year, grand total in the entire company, and we're seeing it become a nightly staple.
Speaker 14: So it seems I get started with Dean Ambrose where he would get hit and then he'd stagger into the ropes and come back with that clothesline, and now it's just starting to spread yep.
Speaker 1: So I'm kind of against that trend right now. Okay, Steven Taylor from Saint Louis Proud VIP Member of the Torch says, Hey, guys, first off, let me say thanks for a great value in service you provide. VIP member is absolutely worth it. After viewing last night's revamp, New Era Rod does it seem as if ensis slowly and begrudgingly coming to terms with what the modern fan wants from the talent being utilized. The dialing back on backstage content, Michael Cole actually saying professional wrestling and referencing other promotions to the camera and production revamps. We talked about a lot about this, Jason, but I pulled this up because the backstage segments and skits were also reduced, and this was a show where Okay, opening segment, big match squash big match, another segment to talkie segment or something in another squash fills a second hour, and then the third hour starts with a big match. You have one or two segments in the middle of a match or two, and then your main event. I can live with that, and I would really like it if we every time a wrestler talked there was somebody holding a microphone and asking them a question. If they went to that, I don't think there's a downside. And because to me, the weakest segment on Raw last night was Finn Balor and Roman rains. It felt although Charlotte sounded, you know, the puns that she was using, it didn't feel real natural.
Speaker 3: But the.
Speaker 1: Camera happening to be there when wrestlers cross paths, I like it better when there's an announcer standing there ready to ask a question of Roman, and Finn Baller walks up and says, oh, excuse me, sorry, I didn't know there's an interview going on, and you have this happened instead of happenstance. You have Okay, there was a reason the camera was filming that moment and then a wrestler interrupted it. I'd like to see them do that but cut back on where in the locker room, where in the office there's this conversation. They're much better about conversations going on when the people pretend they don't even know the camera's there. But overall, I do think that there's encouraging changes. Again, I don't I mean most people, a lot of people will be hearing this after SmackDown tonight. I'm really excited to see what they do with SmackDown and if we see more of some of the same changes. But maybe Vince is trying to is willing to go with a more sports like approach. I just don't want to read too much into one week. Jason and be let.
Speaker 4: Down, Yeah, because it's just launch point. You know, this was their statement show.
Speaker 14: They wanted to send a message of change, and once you get through that, you know it's going to take a month or so to kind of let things settle in. Next week is going to be a really telling show. I mean, they're already giving you the a the announcement of brock Lesner being there, and I like that they're following up the next week. It's not Raw related, but after Raw you have the Austin Podcast with Dean Ambrose and so it looks like they've mapped this out a little bit, and that's encouraging, it certainly is. But we need to see it, you know, we need to see. You can't give away everything they did last night on a weekly basis, You just can't. And so what happens when you slow down, when you start to settle in, when event starts to become a little complacent or just you know, does he start to ignore the brand rules? Brands flit rules? And so it was a great one night, But as I wrote today in the Hitlers, chaerish it because you're not going to see this every week.
Speaker 4: You just can't.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 1: More on the production, Ted from Sacramento emailed and said, Wade and Jason, did you notice the new camera angle which were used last night, including one where the camera seemed to hover over the ring and almost made it look like a video game.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not sure. I liked the angle.
Speaker 1: I did like it being new and different and a change from the weekly sameness. I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks, and I appreciate the great commentary. That's the thing about this, Jason, it's not every change are we're gonna love, but change for the sake of change, just to kind of have us kind of take notice. Oh, I haven't seen that angle before me. I loved every time they went to the announcers and they were standing in front of the desk with the ring of the background. It was so much better than going to them sitting at ringside and you know, slouching JBI with that smile on his face.
Speaker 3: It's just like I was. I mean, that's the best part about Raw.
Speaker 1: It was three hours of Corey Grays calling long matches and there's potential the worst part of SmackDown is going to be JBL undercutting Marrow Ronalo. There's a chance they make a good team too, because JBL has some positives and I'd like to see him see this as a fresh start too for his character. Not just picking on Byron and David Atungua is a big X factor to production wise tonight. How does he present himself and play off Ofmorrow and Jbl. iPhone users, if you're listening to us on the Native podcast app on your iPhone, you can unlock our commercial free versions of our free shows by searching PW Torch in Apple Podcasts. You'll see a charcoal grade logo that says PW torch VIP on it. Click on that, there's some free samples of VIP shows and you can unlock the entire VIP lineup, which includes VIP exclusives plus commercial free versions of the free shows, by searching PW Torch in Apple Podcasts and clicking on the PW Torch and VIP logo and then activate your three day free trial and after that you can become a VIP member using your Apple account.
Speaker 3: It's that easy.
Speaker 1: Enjoy a streamline listening experience into our free shows and unlock all the VIP exclusives, including our post pay per view round tables, the wad Keller news bulletins, Everything with Rich and Wade, the Fix that I host with Todd Martin, and a variety of other VIP exclusives. Just search pw Torch in your Apple podcast app.
Speaker 4: Hopefully not as the clown.
Speaker 14: I mean that's what byron play is for them on raw and that we don't need that, we don't need jbl picking on somebody else, and I really fear that's how it's going to be. Hopefully they make it a point to have a tounguas stand up for himself to establish it is some level of equality with with JBL, even if it's completely scripted.
Speaker 4: I'd be fine with that.
Speaker 14: JBL's got to I mean, if it's not just about JBL and Morrow, and JBL needs to know that. I'm not a big believer in three men, but if you're going to have one, make sure all three guys serve some purpose. And I still don't know what purpose Byron serves other than helping Michael Cole out with some live reads.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll wrap up here with just one or two more topics here. Craig from Scotland says, do you think it's an issue that Finn Balor's being build a one undred nine pounds and is going for what is essentially the heavyweight title? To me, the only weight class based on titles can work is if all wrestlers fight for the title within their weight limit, and the divisions are pushed based on how over the stars of each division are. I personally feel a cruiserweight division is a totally outdated concept. See on Punkers heavyweight champ He's about to fight in UFC at one hundred and seventy pounds. This division is also likely to limit Ibushi's potential in WWE. You know, the idea that if you become a big enough star, they move to the heavyweight division bugged me back when Raymistereo was eager to leave the cruiserweight division and go to the heavyweight division. I thought Ricky Steamboat should have been This goes way back. I thought when ww established a cruiseweight championship, Ricky Steamboat, who had heavyweight title credibility, should have gone after that title to establish from the beginning that there is prestige in fighting within your weight class, no matter no matter how big of a star you are. And if you send the message that the cruiserweight division is for guys without personality or name value or upward potential to be headliners, and it's just for small guys who are only there because they're small, the division is doomed. And think Craig brings up some good points. Is there a chance that that Finn Valor ends up Jason being the cruiserweight champion after coming up short against Seth No and they just decide to go all in with cruiserweights by having a guy of Finn's caliber be the the cetter piece of that division. I'm eager to hear your answer. Oh wait, I just did.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's going to happen.
Speaker 14: I think they have Balor cast as a top star and cruiserweights are going to play a part. Doesn't mean there's not gonna be stars that come from it. But he is a heavyweight. I don't think there's anything wrong if it's handled the right way of a guy who is cruiserweight size choosing to go after the heavyweight championship. There's a way to make that seem like it's a cool thing that he's doing that They don't always, you know they. I mean, my biggest fear is that you're gonna see big show choke slamming cruiserweights and it's gonna be ridiculous. But if they're serious about this, a couple of just small things. So I don't think the average fan cares about Finn Balor's weight.
Speaker 4: For one.
Speaker 14: I don't you know, maybe some will pick up, oh he could be a cruiserweight. It's very simple. List Finn Balor as two hundred and ten pounds. I don't care if NXT fans or super fans notice that his weight magically jumped and make the cruiserweight cut off two hundred pounds.
Speaker 4: Get rid of this stupid weigh in. Why does pro wrestling need a frickin weigh in for a make believe tournament. They're already you know, they're they're fighting weight cutting. They're taking steps to get rid of that or improve it in MMA, and now pro wrestling from make believe tournament is having freaking weigh ins where you have to have guys losing ridiculous amounts of weight to just to make this tournament. To me, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Let me let me get in a comment from rich in Pittsburgh who was at RAW last night, and we'll wrap up on this note.
Speaker 3: This is good comments. Here he goes.
Speaker 1: Being at the Arena live for RAW last night was quite illuminating the set and pace of the show. Having a crane attached to the set itself instead of moving I think a crane on wheels for those of them seen, it allowed really cool angles quickly without having a run over and around the fans on the floor every other Raw was an exercise in cattle herding to even get the machinery in place. For most of the show, the fans were pretty into the matches without tuning out early on and the Sasha Charlotte match, there were see on punk chance uh and we want angle chance, but they quickly died Finn balor Finn's and I to me completely undozz the WWE mantroeve it takes six months to make a wrestler in one night. Finn went from a guy that folks on the floor next to we didn't know to someone they wanted to see more of and would not root for against seth Rawlins and finally Roman had really good matches and I was encouraged by his behavior against his smaller opponent Finn and his postmatch reaction. After three years of not being pinned in singles or most take situations, to lose three main events in a row, Money in the bank Battleground Raw gives Hi an opportunity to finally appear to be human to the audience. My hope is the heel turned, but I won't get my hopes up. Thanks as is always and have a great week. Richard Pittsburgh, five year peoblete torch VIP member Jason. We talked about the crowd reaction for Finn at the end not seeming to be what it was but I don't think that should mean he's not over. It just means, as we talked about, there wasn't this long journey that they went on. But I do think next money is not make or break for Finn. But they can certainly with a really good promo and framing his week his debut on RAW really well, can can frame him as a big star and give him every chance to get over. But the again, I read this mostly for kind of the in person reactions from being there any anything that jumps out to you. Do you want to reply to that Rich brought.
Speaker 14: Up, Well, I'll just repleat it. The Finn Balor promo that you mentioned next week. I hope he has it in him.
Speaker 4: You know I haven't.
Speaker 14: That's one area of his game and NXT that I haven't been wowed by. They need to be careful with that. It's asking a lot of him to go out there and deliver some big live promo or even to have some exchange with someone. I think the more realistic you can keep his exchanges where it's more a sports like like you see in NXT, like he's had with Samoa Joe, the better. He's not the guy who's gonna go out there and pull an Endzo or even a John Cena. You know that's not his style, but yeah, I mean it's gonna I'm looking forward to the next time Raw or SmackDown comes to town just to see this whole production set up in person and what they're doing and what, you know, because everything was so ordinary before, so it is kind of cool to hear just you know, some of the details.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, yeah, the the in person perspective on on SmackDown tonight I'll be interesting too, and in how things are are different for the live experience. Jason will wrap up on that note. Good to have you on to talk about, uh what everything going on on a big forty eight hours preceding us and another another big evening tonight. And I'm excited to see what what T and A Impact does on Thursday and their new time slot and a little bit of maybe encouraging momentum as far as viewership goes coming out of the final deletion and not to mention Cruiserwey Classic and and any thoughts on the presentation Cruiserway Classic besides the wig ins that you hate with with utter utter passion.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I do well. I mean, just gimmick them work the It's fine. You want to make it sports so I can show away in but this is pro wrestling. If a guy weighs two hundred and six pounds and say he weighed two hundred and five pounds, I mean, you don't make people cut weight for a make believe tournament.
Speaker 4: It's silly.
Speaker 14: But even though there's a real WCW worldwide look to the Cruiserweight Classic, at the same time it works. It does feel unique. I've enjoyed the format so far. I've enjoyed the matches. I like the commentary. Daniel Bryan adds a lot. I think they can get more use out of Corey Graves, but I liked it. They're always going to the brackets of this thing. It's yeah, it's a slick show. I want to sneak in one thing with Does anyone care that brock Lesner should not be appearing at SummerSlam. It just seems like no one's talking about it.
Speaker 1: I just think there's sort of in a weigh and see jaw dropping mode, you know, like wwb's acting like it didn't happen. It's like George Constantra's showing up at work when he quit the previous Friday. You know, it just shows hey everybody and they're like, you quit. It's like Brock shows up money and it's like, dude, you you failed the drug test. You you you're banned from USC or you know. I mean, I don't know, Jason.
Speaker 4: I don't think the average fan gives a Dan Well.
Speaker 3: I think that's the thing.
Speaker 1: I think that that WWE is thinking, well, that was a drug testing done for MMA competition.
Speaker 3: Brock is in sports entertainment. He's a performer.
Speaker 1: The substance test at four doesn't really We didn't catch him on it in our testing, and if we do, if he fails, our testing will apply our punishment. If he doesn't and he's allowed to wrestle, then in Brooklyn, then he'll wrestle. I guess the key question is is does the New York State Athletic Commission intervene in Brock performing Since that's a regulated state. He might be under suspension by the time SummerSlam comes around.
Speaker 4: And that's it sounds like that's not the case. They they won't go there with a wrestler.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, all right, well that's that's that's new.
Speaker 1: So if that's the case, then I would say they they're going to pretend it didn't have But other than the little wink and naw that Randy Orton gave.
Speaker 14: It, you don't think Stephanie McMahon is going to call him a loser next week. No, I don't, And I'll say, you know, hey, I don't think. I fear this is going to come back to haunt them. There's no guarantee it will, but this is one of those things that if they get away with it now, but if something happens down the road and their whole policy comes into question, this is going to be something that people are going to look back on.
Speaker 4: For sure.
Speaker 14: He's a huge star, and their approach to this is very suspect. That said huge deal, but he's appearing on RAW. I mean it would have been a big deal to get him two nights after he won at UFC two hundred. Next to that, though, I mean his first public appearance. This is bigger to me than Brock appearing at SummerSlam. Because Brock appearing at SummerSlam is a match. He doesn't have to address it. Paul Hammond doesn't have to address it. Assuming Paul Hamon's with him, and he may not address it next week, but we know it's not brock Lesner showing up on raw or a match. So there's the intrigue of what are they going to say about this? How is this going to be handled? That's a pretty big deal.
Speaker 1: Do you want to see Rady Orton stay babyface and brock Lesnar be just brock or do you want to see their Do you want to see them define one as someone you should probably be cheering for and the other you should probably be doing long term?
Speaker 14: You know, hey, I really liked what I saw from Randy on Sunday. I was impressed that Randy Orton. It was like the happy, go lucky baby face they wanted him to be early in his career and he wasn't ready to be that guy. And if he's faking it, this is the guy who always wanted to be a heel and cringes it thought of being a baby face. But maybe he's in a different place in life. He just felt natural he is, which is unlike what he did early in his career. He just seemed like he wanted he was happy to be there. So either he's doing a hell of a job of acting and making it seem like he's into this character or he's being genuine, which is great, but it was just a he was not the Randy Orton I expected. I think you have to keep him a baby face if they want to make this kind of a showdown WrestleMania style match where doesn't matter if they have, you know, let the fans choose. I'm okay with it, but long term, I'd like to see Brocket back to being a heel. I don't know if it will, if they're going to go in that direction, but I think that's when brock is most effective, even though the fans cheer them.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Let's get ready for SmackDown. Jason, Yeah, looking forward to it. Always great talking to you, and we'll talk to you again probably in three weeks. Sounds great, excellent, Thanks everybody, and until next time. I'd be off for Jason Powell wad Keller signing off. Your time is valuable. Go vip and listen to our show's commercial free a nice streamline listening experience. Pw torch dot com slash go vip for full details on a commercial free listening experience, and with a full VIP membership, you can create custom feeds for individual shows or groups of shows by theme, and also unlock nearly four decades of archives and access our ad free website with VIPP exclusive content. Pw torch dot com slash go VIP. Your time is valuable, and that's one of the reasons we offer VIP membership pw torch dot com slash go VIP. You can participate in the Wadkeller Pro Wrestling podcast by emailing your question or topic to Weadkeller Podcast at gmail dot com. You can also participate in the Waykeller Post shows by emailing Weadkellerpost Show at gmail dot com during or write after rad Dynamite or Smackdow't let your voice, let your opinions be heard on our shows via email. Weightkeller Podcast at gmail dot com for the flag Ship and Weadkellerpost Show at gmail dot com for our post shows. It's next level coverage that you come to expect from the PW Torch brand. No AI, no rookie perspectives, no unfounded rumors, no clickbait, no deceptive headlines, just high quality writing, breaking news and fascinating flashbacks every day at pw torch dot com. Pull yourself away from the vacuous social media experience that I know many of you regret once you get lost in it for minutes, if not hours at a time and settle in for high quality pw Torch branded wrestling coverage. Admit it, you love Nick Barbatty when he co hosts with me on the Wadekeller Post Shows. Well, now you can listen to him every week on The Nicky's Club, a VIP exclusive podcast. Here's Nick to tell you more.
Speaker 15: Hey wrestling fans, It's Nick Barbatty and I'm back with the Nicky's Club, the place where the family of Nicky's comes together for big laughs and Shark takes on WWE for WrestleMania rumors to surprise returns. I got you covered, the Nicky's Club, where the wrestling feels like the coolest club in town.
Speaker 1: Nick Barbatti wants to be part of your pro wrestling life every week, So why not let him go vip pw torch dot com slash go vip for full details on signing up. We're compatible with patreons, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and just about any other iOS or Android app out there. You also stream directly from our ad free VIP website, the Nicky's Club waiting for you every week at pw Torch VIP. Did you know that you can enjoy commercial free versions of all of your favorite weight color podcasts in pw torch daily casts on Spotify. Just go to patreon dot com, search pw Torch and subscribe Vibe two a VIP membership tier. You get a seven day free trial by the Way to kick the tires a bit and see if you like the service, and then sync it with Spotify and you can listen to commercial free versions of our free shows like the Waykeller post shows, the Weightkeller Podcast, Flagship, our flashbacks, and also the pw Torch Day The cast lineup again all commercial free and nice streamline listening experience, but with third tier membership you can also unlock all the VIP podcasts, including Everything with Rich and Wade, to Fix with Todd Martin that I host with Todd every week, the Wadkeller News bulletins, post pay per view roundtables, and an array of other VIP exclusive podcasts with different hosts and different themes. Check out the lineup. Go to Patreon and search pw Torch and subscribe and sync it up with Spotify or stay within the Patreon ecosystem. Either way works. Go to Patreon and start your seven day free trial. If you're listening to us on the Apple podcast app, on Spotify, or any other app that allows you to rate our podcast, please take a moment to give us a five star rating. It really helps us in the algorithm and helps them know that you recommend us to others. Just look for a place to rate the show on Spotify, on Apple Podcasts, or wherever you're listening to our shows, and please click that five star rating, and of course thank you so much for listening. A pwe Torch VIP membership doesn't just give you add free access to these shows and a ton of other VIP exclusive podcasts throughout the week, but you also gain access to our unmatched vast library of wrestling history, our contemporaneous week to week coverage through our progressing Torch weekly newsletters dating back to the late nineteen eighties, along with streaming and download access to hundreds of retro radio shows from the nineteen nineties, including some of my interviews with wrestling's top newsmakers in the nineties, and also our podcast library dating back to the year two thousand and three. There's no larger, longer spanning pro wrestling podcast library than that that comes with a PW Torch VIP membership. Now approaching twenty years of podcasting, Go VIP and dive into our post pay per view roundtables are covered with some of your favorite eras of wrestling, top name, long form interviews, and special format podcasts that we've done through throughout the years. Pw torch dot com slash go VIP. We have a streamline signup for me and you can pay with PayPal or directly with your credit card or debit card. In one or two minutes from right now, you can be a VIP member and diving into our library. Pw torch dot com slash go vip