Speaker 1: Okay, are you ready for the Minnesota Goodbye? It is our daily podcast of things that we Is there anything that we didn't get to talk about on the radio today that you want to talk about? Can I give you one? Sure, we were riding the motorcycle. We were out of Saint Bonnie. We're coming back on Highway seven and the speed limit is probably fifty five or so, but you know, it's an open country road, so you tend to go sixty five or so. Somebody is I'm right around the Fallon turnoff and that's what I call it, the Fallon turnoff into Minnetrashta, and somebody flashes their high beam their head lights at me. Blink a blink a blink of blink of blinka, yeah, and I'm like, oh, that's that must mean there's.
Speaker 2: A cop right, Yeah, that's usually what I think, or it means oh, or it's like I thought it was like some gang related thing.
Speaker 3: What we talked about that before.
Speaker 1: That's an urban legend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know it means lights, believe it, that's what it means.
Speaker 1: Well, it was during the daytime, so blink a blink of blinka. There's several things that can mean your lights are off, turn your lights on, yeah, Or there's a pop up ahead with a speed radar thing, or it's a gang initiation where if you flash your lights back, they will turn around and kill you. Now that's an urban legend, that's not true. But it turned out there was a cop pulled over the side of the road in an unmarked SUV doing the radar speed checks and I was like, oh, I wasn't really speeding. I was maybe going three to five over the speed limit. But then all the way back down Highway seven, I felt like everybody's hero because I went blink a blinka, blink a blink a blink a blinka with my motorcycle to tell people, Hey, there's a cop up there ready to bust you for speeding. I had no idea, and Susan said, don't do that, and I said why. She said, because if they're speeding, they're unsafe. They deserve to get caught. And I said, yeah, but everybody speeds, So what would you say, Jenny, Was I wrong or right to blink a blinka at oncoming traffic to warn them of.
Speaker 2: The cop If any cops are listening right now, Dave was obviously wrong for anyone who's not a cop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do it, baby, Yeah?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 2: He like yeah, and the people will be nice because it's man, it sucks to get caught in like a speed trap.
Speaker 3: I don't know, it just sucks.
Speaker 1: I see both sides of it. You know. It's like we all speed I mean I again, I think the speed limit there is fifty to fifty five miles an hour. The town that I live in Colorado is called black Forest. Now. I grew up there, there were no speed limit signs on the roads. We went as fast as we wanted to, probably sixty miles an hour all through this town it called black Forest. And now there's forty five mile an hour speed limit signs, and all the new people that have moved in since then, they all creep along at forty five fucking miles an hour or forty three, yeah, forty And I'm like, this is not a state park, this is not a parking lot. This is where we live. Fucking move So I will drive probably sixty sixty five through these country roads and I'll get behind somebody who just moved there from California, and here they are forty two miles an hour, and I will pass them the first opportunity that I get, So all right, okay, next one totally let us know if you have any thoughts on that email from Amy. Hello, morning crew. I hope I'm not beating a dead horse with this, but I want to give my share my baby on a plane story and ask if I was the jerk. I got the opportunity to go to Hawaii for my fortieth birthday a few years ago. My boyfriend at the time and I decided to treat ourselves the first class since I would be flying the whole day of my birthday. We had an layover in LA where we picked up a family flying with a toddler in first class. The family occupied the seats across from us and the two seats behind us. Everything was fine until they decided the kid needed a nap. They proceeded ask everybody in first class will you close all your windows to make it darker so the kid could get to sleep easier. Since it was my birthday and I chose the window seat because I enjoy looking out the window while flying, I said, no, Was I a jerk? Well apparently they thought so, as they proceeded to mumble some not very nice things from the seats behind us, and even gave us the look of death when we got off the plane. Fortunately, I laugh at it now. With two kids of my own, I know full well what it's like traveling and flying with kids. But I would never dream of asking complete strangers to cater to my or my children's needs. Maybe that's just me, all right. I totally agree with you. It's like, Okay, no, your window is your window. You kind of go along with the crowd. Like if you're flying and everybody's got their shades down and you don't feel like looking out, I kind of put mine down. If you're like trying to sleep on a rick a really long flight and you're the only asshole with your window open, I'd probably put my window down. Yeah, But I also sit by the window every single time. I love to look out the window. And so you were not the jerk to not put your window down. It's your birthday, you paid for that seat, and you're also allowed to recline your seat anybody else.
Speaker 2: I agree everything that you said. And also I just feel like some people have just the audacity, that's all I'm gonna say. Yeah, for them to go around and ask everyone in first class to put their windows down. It's just like I could understand maybe in a way of like, hey, do you mind if you're not using it, like would you put it down, but like for them to get upset them when she said no, it's like shut.
Speaker 4: Up because the window seat, if you get in the window seat, your thing is the window. If you're on the aisle seat, your thing is the aisle so you can get easy access in and out to the court of the bathroom.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And if you're in the.
Speaker 4: Middle seat, you should be allowed to have both armrests on either side of you. That's the one thing that you get. So the window seat, your window is your window period.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I'm glad we I think that, Yes, they were very entitled to ask you. And first of all, still people have a problem with a kid in first class because you paid for a very special fortieth birthday trip. It was your fortieth birthday. You paid probably double or triple to sit in first class. I don't know how much more it will be. It depends on a lot of different things. But here is somebody who took their kid into first class and they decided that they could inconvenience you with a kid an adult would never say, Hey, you know what, I'm going to take a nap, would you close your window for me? I'd be like no. I mean seriously, I.
Speaker 4: Wonder if it's the way that we're thinking about it, Like no kids in first class is because we think of first class as like a treat, and when kids are in first class, maybe that's just like the usual for them because they have, you know, the money to have their whole family in first class. So it goes from being like, oh, this is a treat that I want to this to be a fabulous experience and it doesn't occur to the other people like oh, this.
Speaker 3: Is just always how we fly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess. So, yeah, it's kind of like an adult's only living community, like an all the adults only like you know, I don't know, town home complex or whatever. Yeah, there's nothing wrong with kids, you just choose not to live around them so you don't hear screaming and bicycles and fireworks and shit like that at all hours of the night. She goes on to say, I get a book recommendation for Bailey The Love that Split the World by Emily Henry. It is nothing like anything I've ever read by her before and I absolutely loved it. It's a coming of age love story with some sci fi existential crisis thrown in. I would also love a sticker, as I'm a first time rider but longtime listener of the show. When did w LOL go off the air, because that's how long I've been listening. Nineteen eighty nine. No, yeah, if you don't know, WROL was the big competitor to KATIEWB for years and I think they were ninety nine point nine or something like that, and they were sold in about nineteen eighty nine to Minnesota Public Radio. Oh, and they changed formats like overnight, and all the people who were on it, like John Hines and all these other people were instantly unemployed.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: And it was just the weirdest thing. I didn't live here at the time, but that was kind of a big story.
Speaker 4: I have a wol T shirt I used to wear like my mom's clothes in high school because I thought it was so cool, so like stuff from the seventies and eighties, and she had a wol T shirt and I still have it. I should find that and wear it in some days.
Speaker 1: That is from Amy and Savage Amy. Thank you. I'll get that staff writer sticker out to you. Good morning from Aubrey. I was going to ask Jenny the best place is to travel in and out of the US, but I found her website and I want to say thank you. Makes both of our lives easier. I get free flight benefits and wanting to travel a lot more. And I'm jealous of all of Jenny's adventures.
Speaker 2: Yay, I'm glad you it was helpful, and if anyone wants to check it out, it's meet meofgrid dot com. I just have a bunch of itineraries, tips, tricks, road trips, all that good stuff on there.
Speaker 1: Where should I travel in the United States?
Speaker 2: I think that you need to go to Utah because you've still never done all the Utah stuff, and I swear you would just like love it. I did not think going to Utah would be my thing that trip. I actually wanted to go to the East Coast, but I'm so happy that Utah ended up being the destination because it was so cool and I feel like we barely scratched the surface of the amount of things we could have done there, and we did a lot.
Speaker 1: I think I would like Utah. We get our RV at the end of the month. And number one, we don't have a place to park it yet, so we're kind of screwed there. And also we don't have any trips planned because we don't have any time off. We get a weekend, so we'll probably go to the Koa campground, but going to like Utah would be really dope for sure. All right, next one, and this is a follow up from Donna to last week when Jenny sayin some guy said you had a great stride when rollerblading. I miss this.
Speaker 2: I think someone said what was the weirdest compliment you ever get in given or something like that. So I said, Yeah, this guy came up to me when I was rollerblading around the lakes and uptown and said you have a really good stride, and then he gave me his business car. He was like sixty, I was like twenty seven. It was just a funny interaction.
Speaker 1: Was he hitting on you?
Speaker 2: I don't know, Like I think he genuinely was like telling me I'm a really good rollerblader, but then the whole like he giving me his card, and then he did say we should rollerblade together sometime.
Speaker 1: And I was like O gaes that's weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it had like.
Speaker 2: Just LinkedIn on it. I don't even know if it had his phone numbers. So yeah, I think I looked him up afterwards, because of course why would I not, But yeah, that was it.
Speaker 1: There was a radio girl, speaking of which that came into town, and I don't know if you met her. Her name is Ali. She's like six foot two, Okay, Ali is still on the radio from what I understand, And she was coming into town to see her boyfriend and she'd heard of me through the business, and she said, hey, let's get together. And I said, yeah, I said, you like to ride motorcycles, I can loan you a motorcycle and we can go ride motorcycles together, or we could go flying, or we could get lunch or whatever. And there's a tiny little part of her that I think she thought I was hitting on her, and I wasn't at all. I was just being socially awkward and offering you know, too much, like too much enthusiasm, instead of saying, yeah, let's go down to Panera bread and get lunch, which is exactly what we ended up doing. But I think that she might have thought I was hitting on her and It's like, trust me, number one, I'm not going to hit on anybody. I mean, maybe it depends, but also I'm not going to have like I would never embarrass myself by hitting on somebody who's like one half of my age and six foot two and gorgeous and have her be like are you hitting on me? Gross? I would never do that.
Speaker 2: But don't you remember we called out the situation on the radio because we thought it was funny. I don't think that she thought you were hitting on her. It was a matter of she was in town visiting her boyfriend, and you were trying to plan this extravagant like motorcycle ride that would consume a bunch of her time where she was here to see her boyfriend who lives like a few states away from her.
Speaker 3: And we were like, well, yeah, Dave, of course, she didn't want to do any of those things.
Speaker 2: She just wanted to meet with you quick, probably for a coffee, not spend four hours riding months.
Speaker 1: And that's exactly what I did. I was like, you know, I've been like, yeah, commit the day to me. So we went to Panera Bread and we got breakfast. Okay. Donna goes on to say you could do content that's called this a pickup line. I would love to hear others. I recently had an interaction to Trader Joe's. I was in line waiting for the person in front of me to finish checking out seemed to take a while, and a young hot guy at least ten years younger was behind me started chatting. Now, remember he's a young hot guy ten years younger. I had in my cart a wrapped up bottle of wine, a chunk of cheese, and some of those chocolate crunch things and some fruit. He started asking what kind of wine I like better? Or did I like white wine? Blah blah blah. At the end, he said, he looks in my cart, it seems like we have the same things. Maybe we should get together sometime.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, Oh yeah, that feels like they're hitting out. Wow.
Speaker 1: I honestly didn't know what to say or do. I'm married, I haven't been hit on in a while. So I texted my besting and I told her this story, and she laughed and said, definitely a hit. And maybe Trader Joe's has a new marketing campaign. They're hiring people to hit on milps ha ha great idea. I might turn into a stalker at Trader Joe's. L Ol, made my month. You guys are the best, Donna. That's a great story. Thank you for that one.
Speaker 2: Dave.
Speaker 3: Do you ever go to Trader Joe's.
Speaker 1: I've been once in my entire life, So.
Speaker 2: Just so you know, the cashiers are the best cashiers you'll ever encounter.
Speaker 3: They will always be like.
Speaker 2: Oh you found some really good ideam ooh what's this? Oh yeah, I love this, like whatever. But also sometimes it does feel like they might be hitting on you because they're so conversational. And so I thought maybe she was going to tell a story about a cashier, but someone in line, Yeah, I know that person was definitely hit Yeah congrats.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, I you know. It's funny because I don't want to give too much information, but I go to a place frequently and I run into the same person frequently, and they're very friendly, and they're a little bit closer to my age, and sometimes I think they've got a little crush on me because they're just a little bit too happy friendly, smiley, it's a girl. Although I did meet a guy at the auto show this weekend. I think that he was flirting a little bit, yeah, because I was asking him about cars and this and that and blah blah where you're from and blah blah blah, and he was just a little bit too eye contacted, glance up and down, the body kind of a look.
Speaker 3: Which car? Did you guys go hook up in it?
Speaker 1: I don't want to say, but it was kind of fun to like, I mean, you know, I'm not going to do anything with it, but it was kind of fun to be like, maybe flirting a little bit, even if it was from a guy never happens to me. It does, but you're clueless. You're clueless, and you don't understand when people are flirting with you. Clueless. Okay, Nah, Dave, Jenny Bailey, Vaunt y'all are amazing. Keep being amazing, favorite and best morning show of all time period. I was thinking about my favorite bits that have been done on the show over the years, and I remember the sidebar bit. I don't know why, but those were always so funny. I'd love to be able to make a playlist of my favorite bits that I'd like to listen back to. What are some of you guys's favorite bits? Is the sidebar bit? Is that the one we just did this morning, like I will will no.
Speaker 2: Sidebar was we're like you and found and be like sidebar God, Steve so fucking annoying. Obviously you don't say that, okay, but it would be like you two sidebarring and he's obviously still sitting there here and everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, gotcha. She goes on to say, what are some of you guys's favorite bits? You can say my name that is from Liz Okay, I don't know. I would say we've only done it a couple of times. Mom, there's a cow in my living room. Uh. I really like doing the games like match game and Password. I think those are just fun. I'll be honest with you. I don't. I'm not crazy about Mixtape game because I always struggle. Do you love mixtape game?
Speaker 4: Well? Do you struggle because you don't prep well enough? Like it seems like sometimes you come up with it on the spot.
Speaker 1: I'll be honest with you. Sometimes I don't put a lot of effort into it because it's so difficult to me. It's like unless the song pops into my head, Like, okay, you are in a rodeo? What is your you? Uh? You know you're a bull rider in the rodeo and you get fucked off what song is playing. I'm like, I don't fucking know, Well I do. I just don't enjoy that creative process.
Speaker 4: The only thing I don't like about mixtape game is when everyone is like, yeah.
Speaker 3: You idiot, you don't win that one, stupid.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, oh my gosh, okay, I didn't win that roundesh, well you are stupid.
Speaker 3: I love mixtape Game.
Speaker 1: You are stupid, thank you? Oh yeah, sure, I don't know. I really like a lyric shuffle. It's just fun. I like think fast. But as far as comedy bits, god, I I really I used to love the high room calls long ago, which we don't do anymore. And I love the parody songs, which we don't really do anymore either, Jenny, anything coming to mind?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think like one that we don't do very often, but it is still always My favorite is favorite musical moments, because I always love to hear listeners and what their quirk is about their town. And then you know, sometimes you find a moment in a song that you've never noticed before, and it's the song you've heard five hundred times, so that's probably my favorite bit that we do. I don't know a regular bit, though, I would say mixtape game is my favorite, like regular bit that we do.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, okay, fair enough.
Speaker 4: When I was a listener, Mixtape Game was my favorite.
Speaker 3: I loved. I loved, like because.
Speaker 4: I now knowing the show and like I know when things happen. I couldn't guarantee like when I would be in my car, so I would just be listening to whatever happened to be on. And I always thought it was like the most baller thing. When I happened to be in my car during Mixtape Game, I was like.
Speaker 1: Hell, yeah, I know. I know people enjoy it. Maybe I should try to like put a little bit more effort into it. But honestly, it's kind of like if you know, like if Jenny wanted me to play I don't know, pickleball with her, and I'm like, I like pickleball. But let's say I didn't really like pickleball. Jenny and I are playing pickleball, and I'd be looking at my watch and I'd be kind of like not really trying because I don't really enjoy it. Now, I use that as an example because I like pickleball, but I don't really enjoy the creative method of coming up with that one.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think it's fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's fine. I'm glad you like it. And if we all felt the same way about everything on the show, then that would be weird. So okay. That is a signal that means rapp okay, And that's it for today. Send your emails into Ryan Show at KDWB dot com. Thank you for listening to the Minnesota Goodbye