Speaker 1: While we're celebrating New Year's with our families, we bring you this relic of podcasts past a speed round devoted to our resolutions for the coming year.
Speaker 2: Happy New Year, and we'll be back tomorrow with our discussion of shrinking. It is Full Grown Dude Face, Season two, episode nine.
Speaker 1: It's the new year, here we go. It's a time for making resolutions, and we thought we would talk about whether we have any parenting related resolutions. You know, I should. There are things I could do better. Probably my parenting related resolution should just be to leave things alone and to certainly not feel like I have to talk my daughter through every crisis she has, like I did when she was little, and to allow her to talk without feeling like I have to respond and solve whatever she's talking to me about. I should just let her talk. I think she would be very happy if I made that resolution. I think we both would be happier. Because what happens is she comes and tells me something, and then I start talking and talking and talking, and then she's late for work. So you need to stop that. She's either late for work or she goes for some reason. We have talks when she's about to go to work, she comes in for me to tie her apron and I we start talking and then she's either crying or late. So I definitely should stop that. But just in general, you know, my kids are adults, I probably should just not feel like I need to be cruise director anymore. I should probably just calm down. There's my resolution you need to calm down to. I need to calm down that tailor, I need to exactly she's right, I don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I need to take some of that advice as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, if they would just come stop coming to us with their problems, it would be easier not.
Speaker 3: You know why, you know, I mean that's kind of the work hazard of having kids who will talk to you yes about stuff, because then you hear everything, and then you take on everything and you worry about everything, and you want to solve everything for them, and maybe wequist you to not know. Yes, yes, just hide something from me. I don't need to know that.
Speaker 1: This is the resolution we want to give to our children this year. Hide stuff from mom so she doesn't go off.
Speaker 3: You don't need to tell me it's okay. That's my big resolution is I'm gonna I've got to try and like just not be as accessible we invested accessible exactly.
Speaker 1: We resolved to podcast twenty four to seven, So we are not available to our children.
Speaker 3: Especially at two am. Yeah, that's stuff, I really, Yeah, I need to stop. Like I've got to let my daughter, in particular, I've gotta let her start to figure stuff out and not get anxious when she's not doing things the way I want her to.
Speaker 1: Yes, they are so stubborn that way.
Speaker 3: I know, like if you just did what I you know, the advice that you want that you wanted me to share, you.
Speaker 1: Know, if we could just tap into our inner teen and twenty something young adult s nickel when we had these same conversations with our mothers, and oh, I deactly the way they do. You didn't I did? I totally did. I just know it. I just remember it. But I can't not be my mother in this scenario. No, I hid stuff you did? Oh yeah, like you know, do as I did child exactly mother.
Speaker 3: Which is why I encourage her to talk to me. But no, I'm wondering maybe my mom had the right idea. After all, look what happened. Maybe her authoritative stuff parenting a better call. Oh dear we'll get into that.
Speaker 1: Catherine, what is your resolution?
Speaker 2: Do you have it more together than we do?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Not really, because I never I don't really do resolutions, and you know, when it comes to parent I don't know, like I've in the past, I've sort of given up on things too easily. So maybe maybe that's what I need to work on, is you know, if I feel strongly about something, or if i'm you know, trying to achieve a particular goal with my kids, then I need to just be a little more persistent like Nichole.
Speaker 1: So basically, you were making the opposite resolution to the ones Nicole and I are making.
Speaker 2: I think I might be.
Speaker 1: We will live like care eusily through you, Catherine, as you as you make your children do things, We'll go I remember when I could do Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not good at making resolutions. And as a.
Speaker 1: General rule, we'll revisit this into side.
Speaker 2: I know we're gonna have to see what happened.
Speaker 1: And all through the year we'll be checking in with each other. Didn't you say you weren't gonna do that?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.