Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Want to take part in the show Call up Steam now went five to two oh four one, six seventy four days.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to my ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Bavera in today with me Tim Bentley, and now we have one with breaking news.
Speaker 1: Thisis I on the Ball, Breaking News on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Happy Friday to everyone out there, yours truly. Mister goody two shoes here on a Friday. Feels good to be back. You know why I call him Goody two shoes. Oh, we don't need to do we can't. We did kind of do that last week.
Speaker 4: I don't know why they call you mister Goody two shoes. Are you a good dancer?
Speaker 2: Yes? I am, I really am.
Speaker 4: Then that's why why.
Speaker 2: That's what that's the story. Now. Oh he's just a you know mama's boys, mister cron after graduates.
Speaker 4: Living at home. That's gonna be nice for you.
Speaker 2: Papa's fleetas beg Mama's boy. Shout out to him.
Speaker 4: Mama Serado right imas rano.
Speaker 2: Yes, let's go going too, Let's go there we go.
Speaker 3: Starting off breaking news going straight into Arizona Athletics. The volleyball team won last night at Cincinnati three to one.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: They're gonna play West Virginia on Sunday ten o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 2: Okay, there we go. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: To women's basketball, they are coming off a win on Tuesday against.
Speaker 2: UNLV seventy five to sixty six.
Speaker 3: They're traveling to Chicago to face Chicago State tomorrow at noon.
Speaker 2: There should be another test. They got to just you know, stay the course play. Well, you're not covering them, right, I follow them.
Speaker 3: Okay, they battled against UNLV unlvs. Yeah, good team. Uh, they showed up in the fourth quarter. Lawrence Swan had had a good performance overall. So we'll see what happened on Saturday. To men's basketball, some of the stuff going on tonight. Uh, they go to Wisconsin, seven o'clock tip off. Uh, just a good should be a good game. First test for the men's team. What would you think if if they lost? I don't think they're gonna lose, but what would you think if they lost?
Speaker 2: It depends on how they lose. Okay, so they lose in a close one, it's it's their first road test.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's something we haven't seen in a while where they go on the road to face someone and it's not neutral, it's it's a true, true away game. If it's a close loss, I think that I think there shouldn't be too many, too many.
Speaker 2: Complaints, complaints kind of the world is ending type of situation. It's it's only November, right, Uh? Yeah, and exactly.
Speaker 3: I think regardless now that you say that it's it's November, I don't think there should.
Speaker 2: Be too much panic. I think I think if if they.
Speaker 3: Lose, it should show just how much better a team Wisconsin is.
Speaker 2: That we think they are. I'll call my shot now, they're going to be Duke next week. Wow.
Speaker 4: Write that down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, write that down. I'm not gonna have a show Friday.
Speaker 4: By the way, what's that guy's name is? Uh, Chris Now? The Duke guy? That the savior guy, Guy Shire who from Duke.
Speaker 2: Oh the flag? The flag?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: Have you guys seen him play?
Speaker 6: Ye?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we saw him on Mondayentucky. He was good, very good, and then he wasn't At the end twenty in the final minute he gave up two turnovers and they lost. We all don't walk on water son, No, don't walk.
Speaker 4: He yes, I if it's on the internet, it must be true. I'm excited to be excited to watch him play.
Speaker 2: Talented, very very well rounded.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: A friend of mine used to cover him in Maine before it moved.
Speaker 2: Yeah. His brothers are good too, Yeah, they're.
Speaker 4: They're all good. His parents' mom was a great basketball player.
Speaker 2: Of course. I mean, you got to get it from somewhere.
Speaker 4: Come on.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, they go to Wisconsin tonight, come back home next week to Duke should be a big, big time.
Speaker 2: This biggest game in twenty some years.
Speaker 3: I think since the Gonzaga game where they had tz McConnell's final year.
Speaker 2: That was and I don't even remember that one.
Speaker 4: Well, cover the ball and you're you know, you can probably think OF's some big games in the in the late eighties and nineties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you just sell that. Do you remember my book The Blue One one of the best games in the history of the program. This is, you know, fourteen years old now, but yeah, the Duke. When Duke came here for you to Bowl Classics and Michigan State here, came here depending champs and Yukon and obviously North Carolina. But this one, this one has this different. This one's gonna be different for.
Speaker 4: Duke, for the duke, and just for the fans to see a big game like this.
Speaker 2: And this might be and this might be a dumb question. I don't think you have tickets. You don't have season tickets.
Speaker 4: I do not have season. I did have season. Remember the year that the ninety seven, when they want I had season tickets. I bought them off somebody, and they weren't very good. I mean they finished like fifth in the Tech or something, and they were like, oh, that's okay, and they went on the run. Yeah, and we try to buy those tickets again the next year and they went up like four hundred percent.
Speaker 2: If you want them, you gotta payprocase. You said they weren't very good. The seats, no, the team, No, no, no, no.
Speaker 4: I was like thirteen rows behind the visitors and they were great seats. But you know, they weren't very good the year they were like twenty two and ten or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exciting stuff for men's basketball coming up. They're gonna be showing the first half at the football games, not against Houston. We'll see how many how many fans of that draws right. You just said you heard rumors about Kale.
Speaker 2: Two.
Speaker 4: Well, I I talked to your friend and they were talking about showing the game. So I think they were talking about I heard Stickkale. But yeah, so it's the stadium.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah that makes sense. Seven o'clock tip off. We want Peacock. Yeah. It should be fun, should be good, good game.
Speaker 3: Speaking of that football game, Arizona football does play Houston tonight eight fifteen. Yeah that if any fans forgot, they do play Houston. It's community night or community day at night whatever. Well, which would mean well, I mean, I guess appreciation for the city of Tucson. Back at you, baby, We'll see if the football team returns.
Speaker 4: The I need your sneaking appreciation. Please know this is badges.
Speaker 2: We don't need your badges.
Speaker 4: We would appreciate it. If you didn't invite us, that's I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: We got other things to do, like the Tysons, like the high school games.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, Gary laid it all out, man, I wrote it all down.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Gary kind of did the first way to ten minutes.
Speaker 4: I needy Gary come run the board for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So some other events going around around, going on around Tucson Pro bull Riding starting tonight six forty five at the Tucson Arena.
Speaker 2: It's their start of their season. It's the weekend. Is it this weekend?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 2: Or just going going to Saturday? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I'll be covering that tomorrow for a class project. Oh you so okay? Okay, Yeah, they got I got some immediate credential. They've been very nice with how they they've been dealing with them. So yeah, that's the start of their season, at least the Beast. Last season, Sage Deal kim Z was the champion of that season, with the bull champion being Red Red Demon, Red Demon.
Speaker 2: They always have those names. I like the name. Second place was man Eater, their place was Big Bank. Yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: To high school football, Gary kind of mentioned some of the stuff happening here in Tucson. Williams Fields travels to South pointeth Point hosts them seven o'clock.
Speaker 2: What seed did they say? What seeds? I don't see any seeds here.
Speaker 4: Some points division their Division three, right.
Speaker 2: But there might be in the open division. I don't know, maybe open. I have them here down to six A.
Speaker 3: I know that usually means they go by uh the suit population school sizes, but think it might be a little bit different from football. However, Sienaga does go to Tucson on high school. Yeah, should be a good one. Last like intercity matchup. We like to like to see those going to women's college basketball. USC's Juju Watkins reaches one thousand points uh than anybody? Yeah or no, I think the fourth fastest in her thirty eighth game.
Speaker 2: Okay, she's fantastic. She is, she is should be one of the what she could break I don't know, maybe she could break getting the talks record.
Speaker 3: It'd be tough if she stays. Oh that's right, she can leave to the w n B. A. She's she's one of the top prospects right now. Yeah, so congratulations to her. That's a that's a that's a feat that how many people reach, Like we said, some stuff going on tonight Mike Tyson Paul.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the money, the money. I don't know if it's smart money, but I know the money is going on mic because they like, like I know, a first name basis like Tyson because they just wanted him to beat the crap out of Jake Paul.
Speaker 4: I'll bet I just I bet five bucks if I said that yesterday, just do it, just to have some interest in it.
Speaker 2: That's what we were at the casino yesterday and we were talking about that, and that's where the juice is going to Mike, and I said, yeah, I'd put fifty bucks you win like seventy five and just hope that it happens, you know whatever.
Speaker 4: You know, fifty bucks to you know, just to watch. Yeah, and did you ever do this?
Speaker 2: I did this once twice maybe so Bafford had a horse. It was Warrim. It was American parrel that won the Triple Crown right the second time he did it. So I had somebody buy me a ticket from where they had the race, maybe his brother. And it was a two dollars win ticket and I don't cash it, don't cash it and have Bobby sign it nice.
Speaker 4: It was like, what's the word, like seven dollars.
Speaker 2: It might be like he was a favorite, so four dollars, but it's worth more to me than four dollars.
Speaker 4: Now, that's a cool that's a memento.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have you ever done some of that? It's kind of like, you.
Speaker 4: Know, well, every time I wont four dollars, I cash.
Speaker 8: I take it.
Speaker 4: I need the money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's that phrase? Did you tell me? The phrase? Is somebody else told me? Because I know Kirk, some gabbers, you know all I broke even last night. It's because I need the money.
Speaker 3: I mean, temper's already flying. Yeah, the stare down. Mike Tyson did slap take Paul?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that was that was a little brew haha.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's something to just get the fans going, right, maybe as last second eyes, Yeah, Jake probably.
Speaker 2: Said give me a nice little hit.
Speaker 4: Mike Tyson is fifty eight years old. Yeah, I'm fifty eight years old and my back hurts just thinking about it.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, but you're you know, everyone's talking about that, and I'm sixty and I'm thinking that if you were on the south side, you and the north side wherever, and some young punk came up to you and and you had to stand your ground, Oh sure, you're gonna stand up and do whatever you can to stand your ground. And and the dudes in shape, you've seen his workouts. Do you want to be a punch of bay to this fifty eight year old?
Speaker 8: Do?
Speaker 4: I hope Jake Paul can move around?
Speaker 2: I'm sure maybe because I'm saying it's an old dude. But I don't know if age is the problem here because he's he's a dude.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 4: Here's what I've the clubs I've seen Jake Paul. Jake Paul likes to go in and just hit as hard as he can. He doesn't ever box, He doesn't move, and I think Mike Tyson's been watching him and say, okay, here you go, knuckle ahead. I see that you lead with you. I'm gonna hit you with my let and boom?
Speaker 2: What's that? What's this? His saying? His family saying everyone has a plane until you get in.
Speaker 4: The get hitting the mouth.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I don't know. I like my chances and guess what would happen? A rematch, a rematch like we haven't seen those before in the boxing match.
Speaker 4: Let you're fifty dollars ride man ride.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it should be an entertaining night.
Speaker 8: Was it?
Speaker 2: Gary gonna watch it?
Speaker 3: I think he said so? He said there was a there was a fight before that too, that you're.
Speaker 4: Gonna watch it for the thirty seven seconds before night. Mike Tyson knock himunt.
Speaker 2: He didn't bite. He didn't bite. On my own invitation through his house today.
Speaker 4: Gary did not. He moved right past it.
Speaker 2: I think he didn't hear me.
Speaker 3: To the NBA, there's serious talks right now about the tournament style All Star Game where you get eight players and the winner the winners of the.
Speaker 2: The Rising Star Game. You got four teams.
Speaker 3: You want team one face, Team three, two, four, and then those winners go and play in the championship for the All Star Game. We'll see see if it happens. Is they're they're talking about it for this season NBA. Yeah, the NBA, I'm a fan.
Speaker 4: I think they're trying to you know, I don't blame them. You know, they're losing ground to the NFL's taking their days coming up around Christmas time, so they're just saying, hey, we're trying to generate interest before Christmas. They used to wait till Christmas and remember the NBA on NBC at Christmas time. So I don't blame him. Whatever they can do to get eyeballs.
Speaker 3: Are you talking about the top players in the NBA with with I think there's a little bit more meaning to it now if you add that.
Speaker 2: Okay, you guess certain matchups. I'm too old school to give a crap. I know you do it.
Speaker 4: I don't either. I wait till the playoffs, wait till the second round of like, Okay, this is gonna be you.
Speaker 2: Like everybody most everybody else. You guys like Kwan, you know they know well. You know, Katie has this and he shoots from the left side. Okay, who won the game? And did they dress well or did they look bad?
Speaker 5: I know?
Speaker 4: And that's highlights. I like to watch the highlight. I like to know who's playing well. But man, good for you one knowing all the all the good stuff.
Speaker 2: You gotta do what I can. You got to know everything nowadays. Yeah, to happen. Put that on the resume, job jobete the resume.
Speaker 3: Yeah, uh, Nicole yo kids for the Nuggets is gonna be out tonight. It's uh for the against the Pelicans. Uh, he says, for personal reasons. The Nuggets have won five straight, I believe, and the Pelicans have lost six street.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't Williamson whatever his name is, Williamson, he got hurt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think he's also. So they probably think we don't need you tonight, just probably not. They didn't specify. Does it just personal reasons? So we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: It is the kind of a start for the NBA Cup. The group played starting tonight, got some good matchups. The Lakers going against the Spurs, Son's going against the Thunder. I know they're out with chet Holgroom he's been out. Yeah, he's been pretty good too.
Speaker 2: And then India, you know, yeah, he's been fantastic. Had a fifty point night the other night. That was fun to watch. I didn't see it for sixteen from the three points. Oh really. Yeah, and they're not just at the line.
Speaker 4: It's a couple of steps there, just from half court on. Sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the new the new Steph Curry in terms of the guy you want to watch. But yeah, yeah. To the NFL some injury news.
Speaker 3: Lions have ruled out their Titan Sam Laporta for their matchup. It's the Jaguars, not necessarily surprising given that the Lions are on top of the division.
Speaker 2: Jackguars kind of spiraling. We'll see what happens there.
Speaker 3: The Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker is having knee surgery, but he is expected to be back within the season, so hopefully they get him back. The Bills tight end Tlton Kincaid has been ruled out for the Sunday matchup against the Chiefs. Kind of a big headline. The Bills do use their tight end a lot. We'll see what happens. Yeah, we'll see. Okay, Hey, we gotta go, do you anymore?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Uh not really? Okay, we gotta go because jakesonill call us some about three minutes. Let's go. We'll talk to Jake Fisher, get his thoughts on the game. I'm sure he'll be on Pollyanna mode and goodie too.
Speaker 8: Show.
Speaker 2: Lets go, Jake, Yeah, we'll come back.
Speaker 4: Make us feel better.
Speaker 1: Your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website.
Speaker 2: Bails.
Speaker 1: That's bails entered right now Fox Sports fourteen to fifty dot com.
Speaker 9: You ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 2: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 9: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 4: Are you ready Enterprise of Fasco Yaki, Try.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock and Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Given we'll call at five to two zero four zero zero for two three three. Where do you buy exercising quick Arizona.
Speaker 8: Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 10: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 2: Leading it and exercise equipment.
Speaker 10: On twenty seconds just quest of Wilmot.
Speaker 2: At Nova Home Loans.
Speaker 11: We believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, That's Volpe team dot com or called five two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three oh eight seven Arizona b K nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, Got commitment to Lyndrix, Syncredit, greates and available loan programs of subject to change the don't notice Did you know?
Speaker 12: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking to start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination.
Speaker 2: As one of the.
Speaker 12: Leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games. From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at showtimecards dot Com or visit them on e Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust showtime cards for their passion.
Speaker 6: Guy bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Want to build your business better, There's no better place than the Arizona Business Networking Conference December tenth through the twelfth at Casino del Sol. Meet thirty five premier speakers, including newa All American Ricky Huntley, Hall of Fame coach, Mike Kendrea, CEOs and more. Expand your professional network, explore new opportunities and learn from industry leaders. Get your tickets at Tucson Business Networking dot Com slash Conference. Once again, that's a Tucson Business Networking dot Com Slash Conference.
Speaker 1: Don sports station Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Wind the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty I'm Steve Rivera eas Tim Bentley got a plan with us behind the desk. Now we have Jake Fisher on the phone. Jake, how are you? Jake doing wonderful?
Speaker 5: How are you? Guys?
Speaker 2: We're doing well. So you have a lot of viewing choices tonight. What are you gonna do?
Speaker 5: I'm probably gonna either watch the basketball game or I'm gonna watch Jake Paul and Mike Tyson. I just don't know if I can watch another Arizona football game. Guys, I mean, the last couple of losses they've been lost. You know, it's very very unfortunate, obviously. I you know, you read the d leaves, you know what's going on behind the scenes with uh you know the potential coaching deal, and you know, the fact of the matter is, you know Jetfish comes.
Speaker 2: A few years ago.
Speaker 5: You expected them not to be good the first year, maybe even the second year. But with the guys that came back, even though we lost a little bit of our death, you were going to anticipate going into a league where you didn't have the top. You know those Titans that the PAC twelve or now the two that left to the SEC. You know, we just thought that we fare a little bit better. So who knows.
Speaker 2: Wow, my lucky you a pull over the guy.
Speaker 4: Take a minute, mister.
Speaker 2: Paul Yanna has jumped ship. How in the world. But you you know, I was on the show yesterday with with Jay and I told him, you know, the last few games have been disheartening to me. You get beat by twenty thirty points. You you know, the guys not that they've given up, but to me, it looks like it's kind of given up.
Speaker 5: Of the guys look like it. And the fact of the matter is got so many injuries. I mean, you'd think if you were a two, or you knew you were coming back next year, or someone that's gonna be fighting for playing time, you think that they give a little bit more of a of an effort. But I mean, it just goes back to it reminds me of my junior year where I sat out because of my knee. Where the first few games, you know, we played against some good teams and it was spirited. You know, the guys came out to play. They were they were flying around even though they hadn't played before, and you know, by probably the seventh or eighth game, you know, even after Soups got fired and after a coach Kish took over, there are a couple of games where it's like, uh, you know that team over there is not as talented as us, and you know, we just give up. And you know, it's just one of those things where again I might be wrong, you know it. Maybe you know, another week, uh, you know, some of these guys getting some pt on the field, it might help us. Maybe some of the behind the scenes stuff that might help us. But you know, the fact of the matter is maybe I'm just.
Speaker 7: You know, maybe it's just because I watched the games.
Speaker 5: That I'm disappointed. I don't know. We'll see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny. I was gonna say something. Oh, I really don't want to go here, but I'm gonna ask you. You're talking about tea leaves behind the scenes. I'm sure you're kind of referring to Twitter and the internet. Yes, yeah, that's very diplomatic, to tell the truth. Jay and I talked about this yesterday. He doesn't feel that they'll let him go. I don't either, that's just kind of too premature.
Speaker 5: I feel like you have to give another year. But the fact of the matter is you have three guys on that team that could potentially that are like first round grades, right, guys that can legitimately get drafted in the first round. I don't remember a team in a league that's as wide open as the Big Twelve that has had three guys that could potentially be a first round draft pick that has been this bad.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 5: I know that we're in an nil era. I know we had a lot of guys because of the coaching change. I know we have a lot of guys injured. But it's just one of those things where it's like, you know, how did that happen? And the only thing I could think of, aside from you know, like, obviously you have the effort. You look at some of the effort, you're like, eh, but you still have a lot of guys that are working hard. But then you look at the play calling.
Speaker 7: Man, I mean, the.
Speaker 5: Fact of the matter is you have that many guys on defense that are out you only are putting up what twelve eighteen points a game. I mean, that's that's coaching. And another thing comes back to where there are a lot of teams this year that were supposed to be decent or good that after Week three let go of an offensive coordinator, a defensive coordinator. You know, I don't want to get rid of Duayna Kina. I'm talking more of the offensive side of the ball here. But you look at them and it's like, you know, these coaches are like, you know, I want to be here for another year. I want to make sure these guys get to where they want to go, et cetera, et cetera. They like they let go of the guy. You know what about us? You know, our play calling has been disastrous the entire year, and we have not let go of anybody on offense. So again, it just goes to show that probably a lot of players, former players agree with me. What are we doing different? They're not going to call it different. Offense. You have a great quarterback, You have an actual decent line. I know we got some injuries again, you have the best receiver in college football. You have a really good running back room. Why are we only scoring twelve to eighteen points a game? Aside from the New Mexico game this year, we haven't been able to score the ball.
Speaker 4: So Jake, what I hear you? You know, and we talk sometimes about this era of nil and Josh Passers said, hey, this is just a new normal. But you know, at what point do these kids start to look, you know, when I ahead next season? Like you said, there the play calling is is not great, not putting me in the best pet the best place for success. If you have NFL aspirations, is this the place for you to be in the next year? Do you want to be a part of that? What do you what do you think some of these guys are thinking, Well.
Speaker 5: What's the name of the kid that transferred a couple of years ago, went to SC He had a really really good year Singer, the wide receiver, the name singer?
Speaker 2: Singer.
Speaker 5: You want to have a good enough offense to where you have guys that could actually go to a bigger program this year. Who the hell would want them? Honestly, there's only a few people on that offense. I'd be like, I want that guy.
Speaker 2: You're exactly right, Jason, you know links to the subject that we've talked about this, Okay, we talk about nil and you're trying to get some money to get you know, help you get through school or whatever. And I'm just going to pay you if you haven't shown up well.
Speaker 5: And you know, it's it's a two way street here, right. It's like some of these guys they've had an opportunity to make a play, right. But then again, the play calling, in my opinion, I couldn't do a better job. I haven't been around the game in over ten years whatever. But the fact is, all you do is call plays, work with the offense day and night. You watch film, you run, you know whatever you need to do, and you've.
Speaker 7: Got some pretty damn good tight ends that you don't use.
Speaker 5: Again, the only receiver that can potentially get the ball open or get open to get the ball is t Mac and you've got a good quarterback that's proven that he could be an All American caliber guy. So again, half of it, I'm gonna go ahead and say more than half of it has to do with the play call.
Speaker 2: No, I agree.
Speaker 4: What's what's the one? What's what's one switch that you just see like that's that's obvious to you, maybe some of us that are watching from the silence, but you played your in locker room. What's one switch you know, either on the field or in locker room. That could happen today.
Speaker 5: I mean, shoot, run a couple of trick plays. Get these guys imagination going. I mean, listen, you know before the snap. I mean shoot, I was sitting here with my wife and you know, my brother in law, and I'm literally calling every one of their damn plays before they run it, like, you got to do something. You got to make sure that the defense is going to go ahead, and you know they're going to think twice about running a certain blitz. You've got to make the defense think that. You know, you're not going to run the same damn play in the same formation you've been running for the last six or seven games. So get their imagination going. Throw a couple, you know, whether it's a hooking ladder, you know, just mix it up a little bit. I mean, and these delayed handoffs, I mean, this isn't the NFL.
Speaker 6: We don't have.
Speaker 5: Three interior offensive linemen that are all going to be second, third, fourth round draft picks. So these delayed handoffs, you know, just not being able to get other guys involved in the passing game. There are a lot of different things that you can do. Just do something to get these guys open uh, you know, get noah a few completions and then go deep. Just get creative with it. I mean, it's so it's such a boring offense. You know. During the offseason, all I heard was, Hey, this playbook is going to be awesome. They're doing this, They're using their tight ends, They're doing a bunch of shifts, they're doing a bunch of motions. They're doing this, this, this and that.
Speaker 7: And it's like, did you put too much into.
Speaker 5: The playbook right away? Are we just going away from it?
Speaker 7: Like I just don't understand.
Speaker 2: It's very disjointed.
Speaker 5: I guess it's the best way I can say, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's a good word. That's a good word. There you go with the emotional side of it. What do you think is going on emotionally? Because maybe I already mentioned this with you. Once you start losing and it compounds and you're saying, what the hell am I doing here? I got to go to practice Tuesday, I gotta go to Wednesday, and you know, I really don't want to be here. Is that some of it? You know? Because you know, you know you played it hell on? Who am I telling you? But that emotion plays a huge part of sports athletics at this level.
Speaker 5: Well, it would be one thing if you're losing these games by ten points or less, right, I mean I think they've lost what four games by over like twenty yes here exactly. I mean that's you know, you have a lack of focus. You know, you have a lack of coaching. I mean to be honest with you, like sometimes when that happens and you see pretty deep some players just not playing hard, that could be a lack of respect. You just you don't know, you know, we're not in the locker room with these guys. We're not at practice with these guys. We're not in the conversations in the locker room with you know, guys that we can confide in that we talked to on a daily basis, whether it's during the list, practice, after the game, whatever. So you know, I would like to know as well, you know, what is it? Is it the coaches don't know what they're doing. You know, we have guys out partying like what, I don't know what it could be. We're not there to you know, figure it out. So the only thing that I know is the guys just aren't playing up to their ability do you.
Speaker 4: Is there a tell you know you're on the field in locker room? Is there a body language tell that you can see on the field, Is there is there something you see?
Speaker 2: I honestly think he's onto something. I've said it kind of hinted this way, but he's onto something.
Speaker 4: What do you know?
Speaker 7: I think they just it's either they're not respecting the process.
Speaker 5: Or they brought in the wrong guys via transfer portal or recruiting. I mean, you have guys that literally mess up the exact same responsibility multiple times a game for you know, two three, four games in a row. So that is on the players first. Obviously, it's the coaches. You know what they used to do to us when we mess up just the same thing two times in a practice, you would either wouldn't practice. They'd throw you into you know, like live ball situations, uh, you know where you have to tackle or you get you know, your ass kicked. They make you run, they make you do extra stuff in the weight room. It's almost like they're just not holding these guys accountable.
Speaker 7: And they got to remember these are.
Speaker 2: Still young men.
Speaker 5: It's not like these guys are professional and they're getting paid. You know, a few MILLI year just to be a second you know, a second string guy. And even at that point, you mess up one or two times in a game as a second stringer, if you're not like a ball to the wall, you know, uh, special teams player, you're gonna get cut.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, Well, Jake, we're at a different time now because the kids are being paid. They won't be cut, and they're already getting paid. They're already getting paid some money. And what the hell, what do I have to prove I'm already getting paid?
Speaker 5: Well, the guy the guys on the field that sucks, See, they're not getting paid and they shouldn't be. What the NIL is supposed to be is for guys that are literally gonna go out there make a name for themselves. They're gonna absolutely go balls to the wall. They're gonna do everything that they can in order to succeed. If you have a guy that is that good, you know, if you have a guy like even a guy like you know, let's go ahead and let's you know, let's go a guy from Tucson, right, So, a guy like a Brooks Read or a guy like a kadem Kerry. Those guys worked their tails off, they performed on the field, they got to the next level. Those guys, give them as much nil money to stay here as you possibly can, because it's gonna put butts and seats, gonna drive ticket sales, they're gonna perform on the field, they're gonna be good, and you know they're going to the next level.
Speaker 7: Then the other guy that's out of.
Speaker 5: Town, a guy like DeAndre and who comes in, he kills it. Well, allow that guy to go into a Jim Klay commercial, Allow him to do whatever it is that he needs to do in order to send money back to his family, to feed his kid, whatever it might be. If you have a guy that literally goes in, he's a second stringer, and the only reason he's a second stringer is because we can't figure out somebody else that's as good as he could potentially be at that particular situation. And he sucks. And it's not that he's not athletic, it's not that he's not a good athlete, it's not that he's not a good ballplayer, it's not any of these other things. But the fact of the matter is if he comes out, he sucks, and he completely just shuts down when he gets on the field, Who the hell would want to give him money? I agree, it's a meritocracy. If he does well, give him money. If he doesn't, don't give him money. And it might make him think twice about getting back in the weight room and working out and getting better.
Speaker 4: And Josh Passers said last week that he's looking forward to the legislation that's gonna even out the money spread around money for the players contracting. So these kids, you know, they'll be committed to stay and the coaches only they're making some real money. It's and it's that they'll stay for a little bit longer you can build your program.
Speaker 2: Jake, see what you created.
Speaker 7: I didn't create anything.
Speaker 5: I did this so that the people that actually worked hard and you know, study film and didn't complain about having crediting out of bed. I can't run for crap right now.
Speaker 2: Good luck with that. Your knees are cranky. I can hear him this real quick. One last thought basketball tonight. I'm sure you like this team. I like them a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know what, I really love what they're doing with the big man position. I mean the fact that everyone wrote off Basar last year.
Speaker 7: After you know that freshman year that he was going to.
Speaker 5: Be, you know, like a first round draft pick. And I mean Tommy says it all the time. Big men they figure it out kind of on their own timeline. It might take a couple of years. You know. There are some guys like you know, for example, a Waka comes in and he's just a bruiser. And then you have you know, seven foot two Mo Krebs, who I mean that little turnaround, uh what do you call the little turnaround over the left shoulder kind of baby hook that he had last game and he's getting every damn rebound that he gets anywhere near theysar who can stretch the floor. But then you have guys like Townsend who he might be a little bit smaller, but they're able to blitz some of these screens now because you have you know, a quicker foot four and a quicker foot five. And but then the guards, man, I love how they defend. You get a guy like Jane Bradley who it seems like his hand is on the ball every damn time he's guarding somebody. kJ Lewis, who can match anywhere from one to three. I mean, he can guard guys up to six eighty six nine that are wings. You know, obviously, Caleb Love he's a plus defender. I mean he's he's slowed it down. He's not trying to go and you know Jack up.
Speaker 7: Three do all this other stuff.
Speaker 5: He's planning to come to him. But then you got guys like Carter Bryant. I think he's going to be fantastic. I think by the end of the year he'll probably be the first guy off the bench. I just think he has that much potential. And you know, he's not trying to he's not trying to push himself like you know, he's not trying to get in front of some of the older guys. He's literally kind of taken it as it comes, and he looks comfortable doing that. But then you know guys like del or So, I you know, even Conrad has looked good, you know, but zero turnovers over the first two games. So I don't know if they're going to tighten up the bench a little bit normally Tommy does. But I think.
Speaker 7: Defensively this is going to be his best team.
Speaker 5: I think overall, you know, literally he can go dine deep. I'm just looking forward to it, you know, I think they're going to be really good this year.
Speaker 2: I think that you've been watching my scouting report because I like the team too, for all those reasons, For all those.
Speaker 4: Reasons, No I was gonna say, he's subscribing to your your your your scouting service. I think they're going to play more. I think they're going to feel the way through the Big twelve and see what's going on. And in terms of the rotation, and and you know, Jake same, I play up to nine players. I believe that.
Speaker 2: Too, Jake. Thanks, we gotta go, We gotta take a break.
Speaker 4: Jay nice times. Anybody, thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Guys feel better. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now. Take a look back at the Ludelsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com. Hi. This is formal.
Speaker 13: While gat Lemanhnely with Arizona Health, imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, in your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space.
Speaker 8: In your life.
Speaker 13: We allf a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms and freewaight equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technique. Since well set you out with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going, visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 14: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial daid available, it's time to earn the degreeer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu slash someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve verra heir and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaking movement, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance with the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. You're always good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen Lord Campbell or cam him at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Selling your home? Want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Armny Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home, oh Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand, Tucson.
Speaker 4: Listen up.
Speaker 15: El tore two Son is rolling in on November twenty third, and you won't want to miss it. Dnahair Conditioning is proud to be a sponsor of this fantastic event, supporting our cyclists and celebrating the vibrant spirit of our community. Huge thanks to our title sponsor Banner University Medicine and are presenting sponsors Rio Nuevo and CMC Health for making this possible. So are you ready to ride, Grab your bikes and your buddies join DNHAC for an unforgettable day at the L twenty two Son. For more info, check out El tourtytwo Soon dot org.
Speaker 14: El Tourty two Soon is on November twenty third. You can help support the kids at Banner Diamond's Children's Medical Center in Tucson by joining the Banner Health Team, ride, run, or walk any of the routes to make a difference, visit Eltwordy tuson dot org for more.
Speaker 1: Streaming live on the Ihearts Radio. While this is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to any in the Ball hero Fox Sports fourteen fifteen. I'm Steve Rivera, you're Tim Bentley, and get one with us. I was very surprised that Jake could kind of not give it up, but he was. He was very nearly like me on this team.
Speaker 4: I hope he pulled over and was in a safe space because he was really kind of in the dumps. No, but I just I think that's the state of the union for a lot of fans here totally agree. And and he's the number one fan. I mean, he played, you know, he's he you know, wildcat through and through, and so it's frustrating because you want to We've talked about this. You want to have a good product, even if they break your heart on occasion. You don't want them to crush your heart right right.
Speaker 2: Well, he was the one that picked them to win nine games last year, to do very well, and I'm thinking you crazy, and guess what they did it They did exactly what he said he was optimistic about this year. But I'm with him on this because I've said this numerous times. There's something going on because teams don't get beat by twenty thirty points because they just don't, especially teams with talent.
Speaker 4: Right, And you heard him say that he could sit at home and call their plays one after another.
Speaker 2: They're just not sad.
Speaker 4: They're not changing anything up. And to his point, he said, just shake it up a little bit. And to the beginning of the show where he said, hey, just do something that gets these kids excited. You know, the Houston kids are excited, they're on a win streak. Do something to break the ice and get the the u of a kids excited on the field. Have a big play, have a trick, play, whatever it takes. I mean, what do you have have to lose except another game?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, no, no, I know what do you have to lose? Right? Absolutely nothing, right, because you're already in.
Speaker 4: The already you know, like what are you playing for. You're playing for the end of the season, maybe you're playing for a scholarship or you know, to Jake's point is, you know, none of these kids probably have an eye on a on an upgrade on the nil to another school, But you still want to be part of the mix. Next year you win, in whatever happens with the coach or the coaching situation, you want to be in the mix. I tell people all the time, Steve You, we talk sometimes about business, and I said this to one is be essential. Be a part of the team. Reason maybe you're playing for a scholarship or you know, to Jake's point is, you know none of these kids probably have an eye on a on an upgrade on the nil to another school. But you still want to be part of the mix. Next year you win, in whatever happens with the coach or the coaching situation, you want to be in the mix. I tell people all the time, Steve You, we talk sometimes about business, and I said this to one is, be essential. Be a part of the team. What can I do? Let me get after that? What can I do? And it's just it just doesn't seem like a lot of folks are doing that over there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, be essential, or be to a situation where now you have to re recruit the players so they don't go. They get this money, just keep them. You're extremely happy. You're this happy, go lucky, good guy, good coach. Now you sit down with them and you're relieved that they're gonna stay there. You're not your friends. I don't know how your parents are with you. One. I know how I was with you have kids. You don't have kids, Lucky lucky you. Because it's a very difficult job. You have to be tough with them, but not too tough with them. So now these kids, uh, these student athletes, kids are your their friend almost to a point of they had to re recruit you. Your life is their life is dependent on you, back and forth, right, and there's gotta be some respect one kind of like the a parent student. Right, they don't respect you. Guess what they're gonna do. They're gonna f around and do stuff that you that you don't want them to do. How much control are you going to have over that? You know where I'm going with this and the and the student athletes. I was kidding, what's he gonna do? Yelling us, Oh, big deal, I'm getting paid fifty one hundred thousand, Big deal. I'm not saying that that's happening, but that's the theory of mine.
Speaker 4: Well, and I think it's it's wise. You're you know, you're at the games you're you're listening, No, this is.
Speaker 2: This is what I get. I've covered these games a long right time, and and they you don't want to pay you know what Luke did so well. He was a demanding coach and he respected the hell out of the guy. And this is the what I use all the time. It was like paying for your grandfather. Who do you not want to disappoint most your grandfather or your parents exactly?
Speaker 4: So I think, I hope it's not true. What you know kind of the what that the internet buzz. I don't think we could take that again. I liked what Jake said is is get after it. You know, doesn't feel like some of these kids are being held accountable. And I know you can, you can tell the story about injuries and stuff like that, but man, second and third guys, string guys, you should be hustling. You should be thankful for the opportunity and you know, be essential. And it's it's it's tough when even Jake, the number one fan, played the game the school and this, yeah, is a little disappointed. And I just think that that sums up the mood of Tucson. And we heard it early in the show Joseph Duarte, the U eight U of H fans, my buddy Dave Odom that lives here in Tucson that went to University Houston. They are fired up, they're excited, they're excited for this game, and they're excited to end the season on a high note.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, it's not the case in Tucson, Arizona. I think I think for to Arizona fans, it's it's the anticipation for the Duke game. There's a lot more of that for then then a Houston game tonight.
Speaker 4: The amount of ent enthusiasm I've been hearing from even Joseph Dorte is talking about you have a you have h and you have a basketball and how exciting that is. Jake's all excited about it. We're all excited about it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: That's it's it's the It's sadly it's it can be the U of A fans uh Seasonal malays here is we get all excited for football and then we get to be, you know, three and six, we're like, well, let's when does basketball start.
Speaker 2: We're talking about games in February.
Speaker 4: I'm ready to go.
Speaker 3: And so you talk about second stringers why why not go out there and have them say, Hey, where's the Friday night game tonight?
Speaker 2: And we're gonna put on a show for you. So let me say, I have a bingo card here the word malaise on this is the g You're the first person to use.
Speaker 4: The word malays I'm gonna I'm gonna take credit for them.
Speaker 2: All of a sudden, John Pena.
Speaker 4: John texted me, texted me, texted me the.
Speaker 2: Very Hello, you're on the air and I on the ball? Is this chat?
Speaker 8: Yes, sir?
Speaker 2: Chat? How are you you up to reach? And I guess saw my How are you? Well?
Speaker 8: Yeah, we just played a little phone tech.
Speaker 2: I'm doing okay. How are you today? Fine? Fine, You're gonna have to kind of fill in our listeners of what you guys just accomplished, A big accomplished and you're busy tonight, I think right.
Speaker 8: Yes, sir.
Speaker 16: We are the thirty fourth band ever to win the prestigious Sudler Trophy award, which is the highest award a college marching band can can earn. It It's been called the Heisman Trophy of college marching bands, and in fact, the trophy is made by the same company that designs then makes the Heisman Trophy, So we're really excited about it. Were only the fifth band west of the Mississippi, and you can only win this award once in your entire program's history.
Speaker 8: And it's a great honor as.
Speaker 16: Somebody who got both my degrees at u of A and was a member of the marching band. To be able to accept this award on behalf of generations of members of the part of Arizona and the University of Arizona, it's extra special being an alum.
Speaker 4: Hey, Chad, quick question, So congratulations by the What does the trophy of what is it? Is it a? Is it? What's Oh, it's.
Speaker 16: It's a it's a traveling trophy because you can only win it, you know once, it's every two years. It's a football stadium and then a drum major on top with a mace. Uh So there's there's a at the bottom of the stadium. There's a little football field. It's it's over one hundred pounds. The thing is just heavy as all can be. It's twenty two and a half inches tall, which is our standard eight steps to five yards, which is.
Speaker 8: Common in marching bands.
Speaker 16: So they made it a specific height for that reason, which is really neat and uh but yeah, it's it's going to be unveiled tonight and presented to the university officially. We'll have President Garrimela down there and Dosiree read Francois, along with previous directors of the Pride, uh and some other distinguished guests.
Speaker 8: So we're really really excited.
Speaker 4: Oh, I was just gonna say, you had how many people in a band there?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Qu So we're we're right around two ninety.
Speaker 4: And where does the biggest in history?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Where do they?
Speaker 4: I mean we talk about you of a kids, the football players on scholarship basketball, they get recruited. How do you get two hundred ninety kids in the band?
Speaker 16: Well, it's really it's really one of the most representative groups on campus. We have over one hundred different majors in the Pride of Arizona, So any major that you can take at the school, we've got somebody in the Pride that is in that degree track, which is pretty pretty fantastic.
Speaker 2: We have.
Speaker 16: You know, the part of Arizona is not only the band, but it's the palm line, the toilers, the color guard, the drum line. Those are all auditioned spots and so that you know, every every place that the University of Arizona gets, students from all over the world really are represented in the Pride of Arizona, so it's it's truly a university of university.
Speaker 4: On are they tryouts? Do you recruit kids? Is there like, oh, there's a tuba player at Mike Mountain? We got to get I mean, how do you get kids follow you or how do you find the kids?
Speaker 8: We definitely recruit.
Speaker 16: We host a We do some recruiting in the spring with my leadership class that I teach for the students that go to be section leaders and work within the in the band.
Speaker 8: So we go out to schools and talk about what it's like to be in the organization.
Speaker 16: We go up to Phoenix, we make trips, and then we host an event called band Ay every year. This year it was a couple of weeks ago November second, We hosted forty seven high school marching bands and the Pride performs twice.
Speaker 8: So it's a chance for those bands to get.
Speaker 16: To play in the cathedral that is Arizona Stadium and also get to see the Pride, and that's usually pretty impressive for them, and that works as a big recruiter as well.
Speaker 2: I want you to solve the world's problems. Jay Jay. I don't know if you listened to the show, but Jay and I kind of started the show. Jay had the question for you. He texted it to me. He wants the band to do this, to do a band entrance at the beginning of the game instead of just walking on the field and starting all the Greek bands do Wisconsin, Ohio State usc kel Does it a band entrance to get the crowd fired up? Possible?
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 16: No, I respect his idea, and we used to do that very thing when the stadium was accessible from all four corners. It was a very famous interest. It's where we would come in from all four corners. Because of the way the stadium was redesigned, we actually have to condense down into a tiny tunnel space and then come out.
Speaker 8: Of that area and reopen back up.
Speaker 16: It's almost impossible for us to do an organized entrance. I would love for us to come out of the football tunnel in the center, just like those bands that he's talking about. It it wasn't an artistic choice, I can I can promise you that it was definitely a logistics choice. That's a bit of a struggle for us because we have photographers. The visiting team comes in right that way, and then they have a bunch of dignitaries and VIPs in that north end zone that make it, i mean, almost impossible for us to do any sort of organized entrance. So that's why we play that hype video at the beginning. We're hoping everybody's watching the screen seeing some highlights and some cool things to build everybody's attention while we load in, so that when that video ends, we step off and we're often running on our pregame show.
Speaker 8: I totally appreciate it. When I was in the Pride, we came in from all four corners and it was awesome.
Speaker 2: Chad. We appreciate you, cal we gotta go. Well, so thank you, Chad. Congratulations will be the Sea tonight.
Speaker 8: Appreciate yes, sir, thank you, appreciate your time.
Speaker 2: All right, I appreciate it. Good good call. We gotta go, Yeah, we gotta go. We have the eight Team show right after this.
Speaker 4: Thanks all right, Jeeve