Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: Orange County, and your host Amy.
Speaker 4: Okay, it is.
Speaker 5: Five o'clock, straight up.
Speaker 1: This is your wake up call for Tuesday, March twenty fifth. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. YEP. Got baseball in the air two days till opening day.
Speaker 5: The weather even feels like baseball, well.
Speaker 1: It does today, but it's going to cool down by like fifteen degrees by Thursday. But that's okay, that'll be a beautiful afternoon at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 5: Can't wait.
Speaker 1: Here's what's ahead on wake up Call. LA bases her meetings with state lawmakers were productive. She and other leaders went to Sacramento yesterday to ask for money to help bill LA's estimated one billion dollars shortfall. After the meeting, LA area lawmakers requested nearly two billion dollars for the city. Four hundred and forty thousand acres have been added to the highest fire hazard zones on new fire maps just released by cal Fire. The maps divide California into three fire hazard zones the LA and city and county areas now have full four months to make adjustments and start enforcing heightened safety regular zones. Warplanes are actually war plans for military strikes and Yemen have inadvertently been shared with the editor in chief of The Atlantic newspaper. Top national security officials for President Trump, including his Defense secretary, were on the group texts that somehow included editor Jeffrey Goldberg. ABC's Karen Travers is going to join us in just a couple of minutes to help flush this out.
Speaker 5: See what happened?
Speaker 1: What is section two thirty? Why do lawmakers want to change it? Also a Looney Tunes look at Tesla. ABC's Mike Debuski is going to join us at five thirty five and tell us all about both of those things. And then before the hour is up, we've got Joel Larsgard. He's going to tell us what to do about student loans in the face of the gutting of the Department of Education, and why you may soon be paying more if you own a Tesla and it's not the car itself. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four Hour newsroom. Twelve acres of a golf course in Altadena are now being used as a temporary recycling site for debris from the Eton fire. Kfi's Mark Mayfield says locals are not happy about it.
Speaker 2: A group of residents reacted by staging a protest. The US Army Corps of Engineers insists the process is safe, saying vegetative debris, scrap metal, and clean concrete will be broken down at the golf course.
Speaker 1: He says, ash, toxic debris, and other hazardous materials will be put into a sealed truck and taken directly to a permitted landfill. The deadline for free fire debris removal in La County is coming up quick.
Speaker 6: It's less than a week now before the March thirty first deadline for homeowners to opt into a free federal program for debris removal. Los Angeles County Supervisor Lindsay Horrivath is urging residents to sign up now to help speed up recovery. The US Army Corps of Engineers is leading the government sponsored debris removal program.
Speaker 1: Kafi's Tammy Trujillo says residents who opt out of the government program can hire their own private contractors, with costs paid out of pocket or by insurance. New fire zone maps for southern California have been released by CalFire.
Speaker 4: Fire zone maps are updated nearly every decade, and now they show three different tiers for all areas of the state, Moderate high and very high as it relates to risk of fire. LA County Supervisor Catherine Barger says the maps could help homeowners figure out what defenses they may need.
Speaker 1: There are things you can do to harden your home, Clarence brush clearance and things like that that will help, and I know insurance companies do take that into consideration.
Speaker 4: The map is now live on Calfire's website, and official say it's important to review because it could affect how people are able to build in the future. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: The former interpreter for Dodgers player Shohei Otani gets to remain free a little while longer. Daniel Martindale says Ibe Mitzuhara was supposed to start his nearly five year prison sentence yesterday.
Speaker 7: He pleaded guilty to stealing millions of dollars from Otani's bank account to feed his addiction to a legal gambling. The US Department of Justice has granted Misahara a postponement, allowing him to surrender to federal agents at an unspecified later date.
Speaker 1: The Feds didn't say why they delayed it, and the court order is sealed. Let's say good morning to ABC's White House, not ABC's I'm used to ABC kfi's White House correspondent. We get him for our very own. It's John Dicker. Good morning, John.
Speaker 8: Hey, good morning to you. Hope you're doing well today, Amy, Thank you.
Speaker 1: So we got some people in the Trump administration headed to Greenland last this week.
Speaker 5: Tell us what's going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: The delegations being led by Usha Vance, Vice President jd Vance's wife. Also traveling in that delegation will be Mike Walt, a national security advisor to President Trump, President Trump's Energy secretary, as well President Trump. Yesterday at his Cabinet meeting, I was there when the President said that this delegation has been invited by the government of Greenland during the course of this visit. But Greenland's Prime Minister immediately put out a statement saying no official or unofficial or informal invitation was ever extended to this group that will travel to Greenland later this week.
Speaker 1: So what I amma is that some of the things that come out of our president's mouth when they can be clearly refuted immediately.
Speaker 8: Yeah, this was an example of the President just speaking and responding to a question posed to him about Greenland. The President has territorial ambitions as it relates to Greenland being a part of US territory, but Greenland's Prime minister says that's not going to happen. The citizens of Greenland recently had an election in which they indicated they have no desire to be a part of the United States, and Denmark's prime minister, Greenland is a territory of Denmark, also has said Greenland is not for sale. So obviously this is going to be difficult in terms of what the President desires. And as you may know, the United States has a military base on Greenland right now. At one point during World War Two, the United States has thirty seven military bases on Greenland. That number has diminished significantly over the course of the past few decades. And you know, there's nothing to stop the United States from asking Greenland, can we put another base somewhere else on Greenland's territory. I'm sure they would be amenable to that, but the President is more interested in having Greenland as part of US territory.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I want to ask you about whether that is even doable. I mean, what do we do just go in and say we're taking over? I mean, how do they have the authority to do that? Do we invade? How would we get Greenland?
Speaker 8: Yeah? Very good question. I don't know the answers to that.
Speaker 4: Why is that?
Speaker 8: Because Denmark is a part of NATO, and I cannot think of any instance in which one NATO country essentially acquiring through any means, the territory of another NATO territory. So I don't know how this all works its way out. I think it's one of those things that the president is fixated upon, and when he's fixated upon something, he talks about it often, and in the case of what's happening later this week, he actually assigns members of his administration to go about trying to achieve his goal. I think it's going to be difficult, if not impossible, to achieve that goal, just like it's going to be difficult, if not impossible, to achieve one of the president's other goals.
Speaker 3: That he speaks about.
Speaker 8: Making Canada the fifty first state or re acquiring the Panama Canal after it was conveyed to Panama in nineteen seventy nine through a treaty. So this is something the president, I think he to a certain extent amy wants to emulate a former president, and that's President McKinley, who acquired quite a bit of territory during his four years in the White House.
Speaker 1: So I'm wondering, just spitballing here, John, I wonder if this is just it's part of a negotiation tactic with Trump. He goes in, says give me the moon, and then you know, comes back and says, Okay, let's go back and forth and figure something out. Maybe he just wants more bases on Greenland and this is his starting.
Speaker 8: Maybe, but you know that's something that it can certainly be negotiated. Doesn't have to go about this in this matter. And you know, this is not the first time the President has spoken about desiring Greenland as a territory of the United States. He also did that during his first term in the White House and then moved on to something else. But you know, this is something that he appears to be dictated on. He was asked a question about it yesterday at that Cabinet meeting that took place at the White House, did not bring it up himself. Yet we do know that this delegation, I believe it's on Thursday, we'll travel to Greenland for I guess you can call it sort of a surveying visit, a sight seeing visit. I don't know what you actually would call it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So before I let you go, John, then we know who's going, and you say it maybe sort of a surveying visit. Are they meeting with leaders? Are they just showing up and wandering around? What's going on there?
Speaker 8: Yeah? There are. There's an itinerary that they have. They will not be meeting with the Prime Minister, for instance, of Greenland. I don't know if they'll be meeting with any officials of Greenland during the course of their visit. You may recall just a few months ago that Donald Trump Junior also paid a visit to Greenland. So he's a trailblazer of sorts. Because here we are several months later and this official US delegation being led by Usha Vance is doing a lot of the same things in terms of the visit and in terms of the itinerary that Donald Trump Junior did several months ago.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we'll have to wait and see what happens. Kfi's White House correspondent, John Decker, thanks so much for the info.
Speaker 8: Thanks Amy, I'm a great day.
Speaker 3: Bye bye.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The White House has acknowledged senior administration officials made an extraordinary mistake. ABC's Martha Raddicks says a group discussing airstrikes in Yemen mistakenly included a reporter from the Atlanta.
Speaker 9: Instead of using highly classified secure channels. Vice President JD Vance and members of President Trump's national security team sharing detailed active war plans on a commercial messaging app.
Speaker 1: Reporter Jeffrey Goldberg, who's the editor in chief at The Atlantic, says at first he was skeptical the group was real. We're going to be talking more about this with ABC's Karen Travers. That's coming up in about eight minutes. Federal appeals judge says the US treated alleged Nazis better than World War Or during World War Two. Then the Trump administration treated illegal immigrants from Venezuela. Last week, Judge patrisam Alette noted the accused Nazis were given hearings, while the alleged members of the Venezuelan gang Trende Aragua received no such rights. The White House borders are Tom Holman called the judges comments ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Well, we did on those plans, removed terrorists.
Speaker 10: MS thirteen and TDA our dozen eight terrorist organization.
Speaker 3: We removed terrorists.
Speaker 10: And to compare that anyway whatsoever with Nazis is disgusting on every level.
Speaker 1: The judge's comments were made during an appeals hearing yesterday on a judge's ruling that blocked deportations under the Alien Enemies Act. The FBI is putting together a task force to investigate the targeting of Tesla dealerships.
Speaker 5: Cars, and charging stations.
Speaker 1: ABC's Mariah Viareal says it has to do with Elon Musk's roll at the White House the FBI.
Speaker 6: Saying there's been at least forty eight instances in more than nine states since January, including arson, gunfire, and graffiti.
Speaker 1: She says the FBI is suggesting people should be vigilant around Tesla locations. The UN says it is pulling some of its workers out of the Gaza Strip after it says an Israeli tank strike killed a staffer and wounded five others. Israel says it was not responsible for the explosion March nineteenth at the UN guesthouse in central Gaza. The UN says it has made the difficult decision to reduce its foot print in Gaza, even as humanitarian needs soar. Japan's Meteorological agency has announced the official beginning of cherry blossom season. The opening is five days earlier than last year. Majali Pollin was visiting Tokyo from France just in time to admire the blossoms.
Speaker 11: The pores are not quite there yet, like there's only a few trees that has a few flowers.
Speaker 1: In the last few years, Japan's cherry blossom season has been arriving earlier than usual. So does Japan's cherry blossom season happen at the same time as the cherries blossom in.
Speaker 5: Washington, d C.
Speaker 1: Really, I don't know, We're gonna have to go google it.
Speaker 12: Undas, I'm stumbling out of bass follow you through the dark. You get enough.
Speaker 1: The Jonas brothers will soon be heard all over Disneyland. The Brothers, who are celebrating their twentieth nas For anniversary as a group, will record a new song titled Celebrate Happy for the resort's upcoming seventieth anniversary. The birthday celebration starts May sixteenth and runs through summer at Disneyland. You know what else, You're going to be running for the Wiggle Waggle Walk. It's coming up less than two weeks away. We are doing the Wiggle Waggle Walk and Run for Pasadena Humane. I'm getting pretty good at saying it about time.
Speaker 3: I know right.
Speaker 5: We've got a team.
Speaker 1: It's the wake up Call Wigglers, and we would love, love love for you to join us. Come out and walk around the Rose Bowl with us on Sunday, April sixth. That starts at Brookside Park. The event starts at eight. The walk and run starts at nine. We're gonna have vendors and samples and food trucks and training demonstrations and dog costume contests. Oh my gosh, we had some fun costumes last year. The one that I remember the most out of all of them is the lady who dressed her dog and herself up as.
Speaker 5: Breakfast at Tiffany's.
Speaker 3: Oh I missed that.
Speaker 1: Oh it was adorable. It was adorable. Also, you can stop by the KFI booth. We've got exclusive KFI swag for the first three hundred people who stopped by, and if you would like to donate or join the team, we would love for you to do either or both.
Speaker 5: Very easy to do.
Speaker 1: Just go to KFI am six forty dot com, slash wiggle and sign up to be on the wake up call wigglers. Hope to see you out there on Sunday, April sixth.
Speaker 13: By the way, cherry blossom season both the same in Japan and I mean that's the same tree, so same time, I.
Speaker 1: Know, but it's different parts of the world. Thank you, will Cole sharper On. Several firefighters have been exposed to high levels of lead and mercury battling the La fires. Harvard researcher doctor Kerry Nato says blood samples from twenty firefighters had lead levels five times greater than normal and three times higher levels of mercury in the days after fighting the Palisades and eating fires. La City Council is going to be looking into whether it can buy pass it's La Homeless Service Authority and work directly with homeless service providers, and the San Diego City Councils passed a first in the nation ordinance banning grocery stores from offering digital only deals in the city. At six o five, It's handle on the news. Houses are in short supply in the Southland, which means rents are going up even more. Let's say good morning to ABC's Karen Travers. Karen the dangers of texting.
Speaker 5: What happened?
Speaker 14: Yeah, The White House is now taking a lot of questions about how a journalist and editor of The Atlantic magazine was added to a group chat on the Signal public available messaging app that included what he says were details about the strikes and the war plan against hoofy rebels in Yemen. Jeffrey Goldberg said he thought this was a spoof, that it was somebody running a hoax, but he for days was on a group text that included the Vice President, the Secretary of State, the Defense Secretary, the CIA director, the Director of National Intelligence, and others.
Speaker 5: And this went on for days.
Speaker 12: Days days.
Speaker 14: He was included earlier in the week and then removed himself after the strikes when he realized that this was legitimate and he was actually on a real text chain with all of these senior national officials.
Speaker 5: Karen, do we know who initiated the group text?
Speaker 14: Yeah, Mike Waltz, he says, well, at least somebody saying he was Mike Waltz in his text. Was who gave him the invitation? It received the connection request in signal from the National Security Advisor.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then in this is going on for days and nobody looks at that phone number goes who is that?
Speaker 14: Yeah, he was identified in signal by his initials JG.
Speaker 12: But he said that's how.
Speaker 14: He is in the app, and that's how he was added, and that nobody on the app others were identified by their initials as well, but nobody there questioned who he was or asked him for any further identification.
Speaker 5: Okay, did he.
Speaker 1: See classified information? I mean you said you saw, you know, their planning and comments and that kind of stuff. But was that classified information? Sounds like it would be.
Speaker 12: Did he did he see it or seek it?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: Did he see it?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 14: I mean he says that Pete Hegsets detailed the minute by minute accounting of what was going to happen for the WHUSI strikes, and it was so sensitive in his view that he didn't even report it in his piece yesterday because it would have put potentially people in the region, military and intelligence people at risk. And so you know, yesterday hag Sets said nobody was texting war plans. Jeffrey Goldberg said after that he can say it wasn't a war plan, but it was a minute by minute accounting of what was going to happen, essentially saying he has the receipt but chose not to publish it because he recognized how potentially problematic it would be.
Speaker 1: Well that's good at least, Well, thank you for the information. Karen, sounds like I wonder if heads are roll. I guess we'll find out about that all.
Speaker 5: Take care.
Speaker 1: La Mayor Bass and a group of city officials have returned to La after a trip to Sacramento to ask state lawmakers for more money. Bass says the meetings yesterday were productive. Nearly two dozen lawmakers have asked a budget committee for nearly two billion dollars in wildfire recovery aid for La. Bass says the city is facing a nearly one billion dollar budget shortfall because of lower revenues, rising costs, liability payouts and the wildfires.
Speaker 15: Just the devastation and the palisades in one neighborhood is a thirty eight million dollar hit to our budget, and we are concerned that FEMA will take a long time to reimburse the money.
Speaker 5: That we have to be using right now. She says.
Speaker 1: Next year's World Cup soccer is something else that needs to be taken into account. LA's Chief fire recovery Officer, Steve Soberoff, may not continue past his initial ninety day contract. LA Times says a head hunting agency has said to be putting out feelers for a replacement for Soberoff. The paper says a spokesperson from Airbas would not confirm whether Soberoff will be replaced when his contract ends.
Speaker 5: The La City.
Speaker 1: Council may enact new rules banning the use of the N word or the C word during public comment periods. Frequent city hall commenters like this guy did not take kindly to the motion when it was announced on Friday.
Speaker 11: Yes, sir, yes sir, we will use proper language, sir. No N words, huh, no C words, sir, you'd tell me what to say.
Speaker 1: City Council meetings, including committee meetings, frequently feature speakers using racist, sexist, and other offensive language. Seven council members have signed onto the motion, saying they believe there is a legal precedent that would allow the banning of certain words, just asks George Carlin. The Trump administration has asked the Supreme Court to block a lower court order to rehire thousands of aid off probationary workers. The administration's emergency appeal, filed yesterday, claims the ruling should be put on hold because the judge didn't have the authority to order some sixteen thousand employees to be hired back. A former NFL and University of Michigan football coach accused of hacking into college databases and accessing the accounts of more than one hundred and fifty thousand students, has made an appearance in federal court. ABC Stephanie Ramo says former coach Matthew Weiss is facing federal hacking charges.
Speaker 6: Weiss is accused of targeting female athletes, downloading their intimate photos, and of taking notes commenting on their bodies and their sexual preferences, according to prosecutors.
Speaker 1: She says the judge entered a not guilty plea for Weiss. International students are being advised to stay in the US for spring break, even if they have proper immigration paperwork. San Francisco attorney Jeff Wosnyak says stricter immigration rules under the Trump administration could complicate students returning to the US Green.
Speaker 13: Card holders like mom with Khalil being arrested, people being denied.
Speaker 1: Entry UC Berkeley and you see San Francisco among schools in California warning that leaving the country now could jeopardize student's ability to return. New research shows the end of a relationship is as predictable as the phases of the moon. Researchers in Germany say failing relationships don't just deteriorate randomly, they follow a specific, two phase decline that can be tracked and even predicted. They analyze data from studies in four countries and found couples who break up go through a mild decline in happiness for years before a dramatic drop in the final months or years before separation.
Speaker 5: I could have told you that, hey, it's almost time. Just two days away from opening day. The world champion.
Speaker 1: Dodgers are back This Thursday, the Dodgers take on the Detroit Tigers in Opening Day action at Dodger Stadium. First pitch go out at four ten. Is going to be a beautiful day for Dodger Baseball. You can listen to every game on the iHeartRadio app Keyword AM five seventy LA Sports brought to you in part by the new Hollywood Pantagious season. It's a home run. Get a seven show package at Broadway in Hollywood dot com when we come back, what is section two thirty? And why do lawmakers want to change it? If he sees Mike Dubusky, he's going to tell us about that. And also a Looney Tunes look at Tesla getting several reports of a bright light streaking across the northern California nights. Sky sightings were even reported last night by some people in Nevada. The streak of light did not appear to be a Starlink satellite. The timing and location of the most recent launch rules out it being a SpaceX rocket. Well, the man known as the Pillowcase rapist is now allowed to live in the Antelope Valley. On Monday, LA County DA Nathan Hoffman announced that chrisfer Hubbert is living in Juniper Hills, where he was placed last Friday in spite of strong backlash from residents and community leaders. The USC women's basketball team is advanced to the Sweet sixteen, but they lost their star player in the process. Juju Watkins tore her acl early in the game. The Trojans went on to beat Mississippi State ninety six sixty nine last night at Galen Center. The team says Watkins out for the rest of the tournament. At six oh five Tandle on the News, the head of the US Postal Service, appointed by President Trump in his first term is up and quit. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Mike Debuski. Okay, Mike, we've been asking all morning, what the heck is Section two thirty and why do we care?
Speaker 8: So?
Speaker 13: Section two thirty is often referred to as the twenty six words that created the Internet. It's a provision of this old law, the nineteen ninety six Communications Decency Act, that essentially stipulates that tech companies cannot be held liable for the content that gets posted on their platform. So, for example, if you were to post a recipe for a chocolate cake on Facebook, and I commented incorrectly that this chocolate cake made my whole family sick. Well, you could sue me for defamation, but you couldn't sue Facebook, right, that's the idea behind Section two thirty, and tech companies have argued that this is what has allowed the modern Internet to flourish, right that people have been allowed to have conversations freely and quickly, and yes, occasionally get into arguments, but ultimately it has been good for communication, for people to be connected in this way without having these tech companies having to deal with a slew of lawsuits, you know, related to the content that gets posted on their platform, some of them legitimate, many of them likely frivolous. Right without this law, So that is what is being argued right now, and it's largely been sort of the law of the land for the last thirty years or so. Now on both sides of the aisle, lawmakers have issues with Sexection two thirty, which is why we're talking about it this week. The Information, which is a tech publication, was the first to report that a bipartisan group of lawmakers is working on a law that could reform or potentially repeal Section two thirty. Conservatives in Congress have argued that these tech companies are over policing content, over moderating, taking too many things down. Democrats have argued pretty much the opposite, that they're not taking down enough potentially harmful content related to things like the election or the pandemic or stuff like that. So they want to change it, right, They want to do something about the way that these tech companies are allowed to behave on the Internet, and they think that Section two thirty is the way to do that. But the information reports is that this would essentially give Section two thirty an expiration date of twenty twenty seven, by which point it would vanish out of existence. They say that that is a way to get tech companies to come to the table and negotiate with the government a way to reform Section two thirty, which again is this hugely important piece of legislation.
Speaker 1: Okay, and if it goes away, if I'm understanding, you're right, Mike, that would just open up Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and all those guys to being sued, yes, hundreds and millions of times, probably.
Speaker 13: Right at incredible volume, right to the point where like the gears of the Internet would grind to a halt, right, and experts say that that would create basically one of two realities. The first is where these tech companies now take a much larger role in what they allow to be shown on their platforms. Right, imagine a world where every Facebook comment that you make, and every post on Reddit that you make, every picture that you upload to Instagram has to go through a rigorous screening process to make sure that you know, Facebook and Reddit and Instagram can't be held legally liable.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 13: There are lawyers involved, and the processes involved. Nothing exactly, nothing would be posted, or it would take an incredibly long time to do so, and it would reshape how we think about talking to each other publicly on the Internet. The other reality is essentially that these tech companies take a full step back, right and they say, hey, we have a comments section, we don't look at it. You're on your own, And that would essentially create a much cedier version of the Internet where anything is allowed to be posted something you know, more akin to like four Chan, where cd elicit and illegal content is allowed to flourish and thrive. And that's also a bad outcome. So it seems like nobody tech companies, individuals, or the government want either of those two things to happen, and that's why they're kind of talking about this idea of bringing these tech companies into the fold to negotiate reforms to Section two thirty. One thing is for sure, though, and that is that there is pressure to do something. Both President Trump and his FTC Commissioner Brendan Carr have said that they're interested in changing or repealing Section two thirty And as I mentioned, the information is reporting that this legislation from this bipartisan group of lawmakers could be introduced as soon as this week.
Speaker 1: Okay, and I know you got to run, but before we let you run, we got to ask you about looney tunes.
Speaker 5: Look at Tesla? What's going on with that?
Speaker 13: Yes, so you remember the old Wiley E. Coyote Roadrunner cartoons. The Roadrunner would paint a tunnel on the side of a cliff face and Wiley Coyote would run right into it thinking that it was real. Well, people are doing that with their Tesla's. They're basically creating these big styrofoam walls and painting roads on them or basically blowing up big digital images of roads to see if they can fool the car's autopilot system right. This is their semi autonomous driving system. One of these videos is viewed more than seventeen million times. It's by an engineer and YouTuber named Mark Rober and the autopilot system drove right through the wall.
Speaker 3: It was completely failed. It was completely fooled. The sort of logic here.
Speaker 13: Is that Tesla's autopilot system relies on cameras, which are essentially less sophisticated versions of our eyes. It sees what we see, and given that it's slightly less sophisticated, it didn't recognize the difference between a picture of a road and an actual road. Whereas an actual car equipped with a light ar system, which uses light rays basically sending them out and seeing what they bounce off of and then measuring the time it takes for them to come back to the ultimate system. It's largely considered to be a better system. It's kind of like a more sophisticated version of radar, where that car in this video was able to stop in time it recognized the difference. However, other YouTubers have come in and tested more modern versions and more sophisticated versions of Tesla's semi autonomous driving technology, and it was able to figure out the difference between a picture of a wall and an actual wall, and that indicates that some engineers at Tesla are making some progress here.
Speaker 1: Okay, ABC's Mike Tubuski, and a word to the wise. If you're driving a Tesla, don't drive into.
Speaker 13: A wall that looks like even if it looks like a rope.
Speaker 5: Okay, thanks so much, Mike.
Speaker 3: Take care guys.
Speaker 5: Bye, all right, time to get in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe.
Speaker 1: Good morning, Courtney, good morning, good Tuesday morning. Yes, so we know that when it comes to business, weddings are big business.
Speaker 5: So how much is it going to cost if you want to get married this year?
Speaker 12: Well, love might be priceless, but weddings just got a bit cheaper. So that's good news. I'll play a little music to get us in the mood. Oh, I'm forgetting I'm not on my regular computer anymore that I'm on the phone with you. But according to the not, the average wedding costs thirty three thousand dollars lest year. That's two thousand dollars less than twenty twenty three. But of course, during wedding in California that costs a lot more thirty nine, one hundred and seventy dollars. Now specifically in LA it's forty four, seven hundred and forty dollars. And by the way, a good old New Jersey wedding is the north of fifty four thousand dollars. I guess Teresa from the Real Housewives through the number off and make it the most expensive in the nation.
Speaker 1: Aally, Okay, so that's an average. So obviously a lot of people are going the least less expensive route, but that also means that there's a lot of people spending more than that on a wedding.
Speaker 12: Oh of course, of course. And if you go to I mean I went to one wedding recently and it was so you could help, from the food, from the appetizers, from everything that they did, the bands they had two bands there. It's just some people are spending a tremendous amount of money. A lot of cases, it's the food and the venue are going to be the most expensive. But of course there's lots of rising costs when it comes to photography, for example. And now we have to remember that even when tariffs come into play, like, for example, favors that are on the tables. You're going to see that getting a little more expensive. So it's terrify you are even going to play into our weddings.
Speaker 5: I'll just take my Jordan Hollmans and be happy.
Speaker 12: Oh I love those Okay, Oh yeah, it's expensive out there, Yes it is.
Speaker 1: Okay. So we were mentioning yesterday that twenty three and meters is not closing but declaring bankruptcy and what does that leave.
Speaker 5: Up for sale?
Speaker 12: Okay, so keep in mind their genetic information that they have is going to be fold to the highest bidder as part of this bankruptcy process. So they filed for Chapter eleven yesterday, but they proposed a May fourteenth auction of the sale of its assets, which includes the genetic data of more than fifteen million customers. So they say, now this is the important point. If you are a customer, you can delete the data within your account. You don't need to contact Customer Care to do so. They also say that any buyer will be required to comply with applicable laws in regard to personal data state and nationally. They did say the filing doesn't change how they store and protect personal data. But if you are deleting your data, keep in mind most people should or actually you all should be getting an email from the company saying that it is being deleted. A California actually issued some consumer alerts yesterday providing instructions on how people can delete the aero genetic information or you.
Speaker 1: Can just leave it there and then you can use it again with the new owner if you're cool.
Speaker 12: Yeah, true, but if you're cool with that. But a lot of people, if you looked at social media yesterday, they said, how are we supposed to be able to do this? And the company's website and applications were running much flower than usual because people were popping in to try to delete their data. But all of this sets up a big test of all the legal safeguards around privacy and safety, something that we talk about all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, let's talk stocks real quick before we let you go. Big rally yesterday. Are we looking for another one today?
Speaker 12: Well, we are hired not as strong as yesterday's rally, so Stock's all one of its best sessions of the year yesterday. There are some signs that some countries are going to get a break when it comes to President Trump's tarff. So we did see the Dow rids five hundred and ninety eight points. Now this morning, looking at Dow futures higher but not as big as yesterday, they're a nine to five points.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll continue the wild ride Bloomberg's Courtney Donahos, thank you so much.
Speaker 5: We'll get in your business again tomorrow.
Speaker 12: Let's see you later.
Speaker 5: All right, take care.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Road rage has led to a man being choked and another being stabbed at a Starbucks drive through in Riverside. At least say one driver cut off another on Sunday afternoon. The second driver then followed the first one to the Starbucks, got out and started choking him. The man being choked stabbed the first man in the arm with a knife. Both men were taken to the hospital. Only the man who choked the other driver was arrested. A second man from South America, believed to be part of a crime tourism group, is pleaded guilty to for his role in the armed robbery of a one million dollar watch in Beverly Hills. Hey Zeus Rojas is from Venezuela. He admitted to account of interference with commerce by robbery. It'll be sentenced in August. A second man from Columbia pleated guilty to the same charge last week. The pair was found with a gun below longing to notorious killer and former LAPD cop Christopher Dorner remember that whole thing. Chinese car maker Byd has reported sales of more than one hundred billion dollars for last year that surpassed Tesla in revenue earnings as consumers opted for its range of electric and hybrid vehicles packed with high tech features. Tesla earned ninety seven point seven billion. In twenty twenty four, Calfires released an updated map showing fire hazard severity zones across the state. The maps assign a hazard score based on vegetation, terrain, history of fires, weather, and other factors. On the new maps, an additional four hundred and forty thousand acres are designated as severe risk of wildfire in La County. Dodgers star sho Hee Otani's former interpreter, was supposed to surrender to start serving out a nearly five year prison sentence, but his surrender date yesterday was delayed. The reason for the delay was not released.
Speaker 5: If you eat a.
Speaker 1: Meal in twenty minutes or less, signentists say you should slow down. Studies show that if you eat too fast, you could have a higher risk of obesity, suffer from bloating, or get unchewed pieces of food lodged in your esophagus. To slow down, experts say put down your phone, turn off the TV, and just focus on your meal.
Speaker 5: Fat chance, we're just been at away from Handle on the news this morning.
Speaker 1: With not handle, Trump administration officials appear to have really stepped in it, adding a journalist to a group text about plans to hit the hoo thies. Let's say good morning now to ABC's I'm getting back and forth with ABC's and k KFI is Joel Larsgard, the host of How to Money on KFI every Sunday from noon to two morning.
Speaker 10: Joel, morning, I'm from wherever you want me to be, Amy, Okay.
Speaker 1: Well you're from New York City, right right? Okay, So let's first talk since we're talking about money, and a lot of people and their kids and their grandkids have student loans, and how is that all going to shake out with everything that's happening with the gutting of the Department of Education.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good question.
Speaker 10: The Wall Street Journal just published an article early this morning basically talking about the Trump administration's intent to get rid of the Department of Education, whether or not they have Congress's help.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing is typically to eliminate.
Speaker 10: A federal knows, something like the Department of Education a department, a federal department, it takes an act of Congress, and Congress, as we know, doesn't do much these days, and so the Trump administration is saying, we're going to try to do it on our own. There are lawsuits flying back and forth. How this shakes out, as anybody's guests, But at least the intent of the executive order that the President announced was to severely reduce the scope of the Department of Education. That's already happening, and then to have other federal agencies take over some of those duties. So it looks like the Small Business Administration might take over student loans. How that's going to shake out, I mean, there's already been Anybody with student loans knows that working with their servicer is a massive pain. We've had just severe issues from the companies that the government partners with, the contracts with to service student loans, and it just feels like everybody with student loans right now is just in this massive limbo. They were told right that they you know, don't pay your loans for three and a half years. Forgiveness is on the way. Forgiveness then didn't pan out. I just feel like, man, I feel that my heart goes out to anybody with student loans right now because where things go from here, we'll keep an eye on it. But it's just it's hard to it's hard to spell out, and it's hard to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well here's a question or a thought, Joel, like one of the things that does he's doing and making these cuts and all that stuff that they said they're discovering like super old antiquated systems where you have departments that don't talk to each other.
Speaker 5: So maybe the hope is, whether it happens or not.
Speaker 1: Is that they can sort of figure it out, because you said, getting the student loans is a pain in the butt, so maybe they can figure out how to fix the system too well.
Speaker 3: I mean that that would be awesome.
Speaker 10: And it's clear that there are some antiquated government systems and that there is like when they talk about waste, fraud and abuse and government, the vast majority of Americans, when you look at polling, believe that that exists. The way dogs goes about it attacking some of that quote unquote waste fraud and abuse and whether or not some of the things are cutting actually fall under those monikers, like that's another question. Yeah, and it's also going to be interesting to see when you when you kind of look at since the advent of the Department of Education, well, has it had the impact that it was supposed to have And I don't know that it has. So when you look at how much we spend as a country per student, and when you look at test scores that just have deteriorated year after year after year, and where we stand internationally in some of the rankings, in particular in science and math. We were much more internationally competitive from a student basis in the nineteen seventies. So eliminating the Department of VEGUCA people are making it sound like, oh, this is gonna this is a this is going to torch the education system in the country. The reality is the Department of educationally fund something like eight to ten percent of state and local schools and so sending it back to the schools and having less Department of Education, less federal oversight in terms of how states do education.
Speaker 3: I don't know that that's a bad thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, let's move on to something that everybody has come to know and love, and that is door Dash, and DoorDash is putting up a new payment option.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: So this is something that when I saw it, I mean tearstream streamed down my face and easy.
Speaker 5: Here Joel's going crazy.
Speaker 10: Now I'm pulling my hair out like sackcloth and ashes because DoorDash is saying, hey, you can split your little fast food delivery up into four easy payments via Clarna. Now, if you're if you're ordering your food, and to me, this is what it feels like, the culmination, but it probably isn't of buy now, pay later for literally everything. I'm sure it's going to go into more even more places. But I don't really use these food delivery apps because every meal that you buy, if you get it delivered. Sure, it's convenient, but it's gonna cost you more. So, the fact that it's that people are gonna even split up those payments you're gonna order a twelve or fourteen dollars meal or something like that, and then you're gonna split it up over the course of four months.
Speaker 3: Makes zero sense to me.
Speaker 1: Four months would Why would anybody in their right mind do that.
Speaker 10: They even have something called klarna pay later, which means you kick the can down the road even further, and then you can pay a fee to pay even later than that, And so I think it's something. It makes me think of the frog in the pot of water that just like steadily gets warmer. And I don't know if this is actually true, if it's just an old wives tale, but like the frog boils to death if it stays in the water. This is kind of how we are as consumers. We're getting used to all of these methods of payment just reduce the friction, and I think the friction is actually a good thing for us. It's like, do I have the money to buy the burger? If I don't, then I probably shouldn't. I should cook at home. And maybe that sounds like it's not empathetic or something like that, but I just I think it's really important to think before you use bine now pay later on anything, But in particular, when we're talking about these smaller purchases using buy now, pay later to break up just a meal delivery to your house, it just to me, it feels almost dystopian in nature, and it's hard for me to stomach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just I totally agree with you. Like, again, a twenty dollars meal. I've never seen a fifteen dollars door dash meal. I've only used a couple of times, and it was always like stupid expensive because of all the fees. But yeah, spreading it out over four months, what are you thinking? And then do you do that every week and out all of a sudden you have four months later you're like, how do I owe two thousand dollars?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 10: And the thing is, the more we kick the can down the road on a bill that we have to pay right, typically fee ease or interest add up.
Speaker 3: But on top of that, it's it's harder to budget.
Speaker 10: I want people to pay for the things that they're buying, Like I'm down with credit cards as a method of payment, but I don't want you to buy more than you can afford, and I don't want you to overextend yourself so you can't pay that credit card bill on time and in full, buy now, pay later. It just kind of blurs the lines and people start using it and then they're like, oh, how much do I owe? What's my what's my BNPL you know, payment amount this month, and we become payment buyers, just like we have become when it comes to buying a car.
Speaker 3: We're payment buyers these days.
Speaker 10: And to me, that's that's the real nefarious part of buy now, pay later and splitting up payments like this, is that we just kind of become used to the monthly payment instead of like deciding whether or not we're comfortable with the overall amount of the purchase to begin with.
Speaker 1: Okay, so proceed with caution and if you'd like to proceed with getting lots more great advice on how to money. You can listen to Joel lars Guard every Sunday, it's noon to two. How to Money with Joel Larsguard. You can also follow him and add how to money Joel, Thank.
Speaker 5: You, Joel.
Speaker 3: Thanks Amy.
Speaker 1: Buy a burger and pay for it for four months, It's ridiculous. This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland Weather from KFI, fog and low clouds in areas. Otherwise sunny sky is nice and warm again. Today, Hi's in the sixties at the beaches, upper seventies to low eighties for Metro La and inland O c low to mid eighties in the valleys and Annelo Valley, eighties to low nineties for the Inland Empire. Then tomorrow we're going to see some more clouds and fog that'll clear to sunny skies, but it's going to be cooler. Highs just in the sixties to mid seventies about the same for Thursday. It's fifty seven in Fuller ten, fifty five San Clemente, fifty seven in Pasadena, and fifty five in Santa Monica. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.