Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: And CAA says.
Speaker 1: Former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh had impermissible contact with recruits and players while access was restricted during the COVID handed him a four year show cause order if he wants to return to college coaching.
Speaker 2: This just not in.
Speaker 1: Jim Harbaugh is the coach of your Los Angeles Chargers. So this is all kind of cute, and I'll bless your heart and c doublea bless your heart. I heard this line yesterday that the culture under Jim Harbaugh is walk right up to the line and then cross it, and I thought, Yes, that's.
Speaker 2: The coach you want. Yes, I mean not if you are left at Michigan without him, but that is the coach you currently want on the team. Yes, we had that earthquake, of course, from gosh was it tuesday? Yeah, it was Tuesday night, that five point two earthquake over in Kerrent County, just the other side of the grape Vine. Last night. There was an after shock of a four point four there. It's a little confusing because I saw doctor Lucy Jones suggest that this is near a fault that had a relatively large earthquake back in the fifties. But it's not on that fault, and there are there have been dozens of earthquakes after shocks that have been say two and a half and above, in that same area. There's nothing there. I mean, I know that the surface of the earth doesn't pretend what does underneath it, but there's nothing out there.
Speaker 1: The clerk kent of the Olympics, Stephen Netterosik, was drug tested after his pommel horse routine. I bet who watched that routine and thought that's a body on drugs.
Speaker 2: I think they do it randomly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it must be because they do. That is a very slight human.
Speaker 2: Locally, a nine billion dollars school construction bond is headed to voters' ballots in November. The LA Unified School District Board of Education approved it in a special meeting yesterday. This bond, with fund facilities, repairs and upgrades to hundreds of schools, estimated to raise annual property tax rates by twenty five cents for every one hundred dollars of a home's assessed value. The quick math if you have a home worth about a million bucks, that'd be an additional two hundred and fifty bucks of property tax every year. A bond needs fifty five percent approval by voters to pass. Do you want to hear my nice story before we get to fire?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: Do I do any nice music for it? Sure? Okay?
Speaker 1: A Florida sheriff's deputy ran through the woods, ripped off his bulletproof vest, and waded into a pond when he heard the cries of a missing five year old autistic boy, Damn wes bro is his name.
Speaker 2: He scooped up the boy.
Speaker 1: The boy wrapped his arms tightly around the deputy's neck as they trudged back to dry land. Happened in Deltona, Florida, not Daytona, Deltona, of course. Sheriff's officials say the family called nine one one. They noticed the boy was missing, and they knew that he's attracted to water, so they ran to the pond. That's when the deputy heard the boys cries and sprung into action. See, those are the stories about police that you don't hear all the time.
Speaker 2: And that's just a Tuesday. There's there's probably a conservative estimate hundreds of those every.
Speaker 1: Day, hundreds of them everywhere, but you never hear it.
Speaker 2: A selfless act by someone who without even thinking about the consequences to themselves. Right, the brain eating ameba in that pond. Yeah, okay, potentially, Yes, that's probably why they didn't think about it though. Okay, you can't kept the music. Good news is over. You love that booty, Show me the booty, Give me the booty.
Speaker 1: I willed the booty.
Speaker 3: Back up the booty. I need the booty.
Speaker 2: Sent to Humido. Yes we are oh god, okay, here in my head, it's crazy. The Park Fire, the fourth largest fire in California history, is now four hundred and twenty six thousand acres plus and still only about thirty four percent contained. That containment has not grown at the same rate that the fire has grown in the last couple of days. I mean, this is an This has added thirty or forty thousand acres in just the last few days because of the conditions up there. Again, this is the fire that started in Chico when some guy, Ronnie Stout pushed a burning car down into a gully near I think it was Alligator Hole. As you get up through Bidwell Park, there. He already had a couple of felony convictions for child molestation and robbery with great bodily injuries. Now been charged with felonie arson arson with ag evading factors.
Speaker 1: You can you can get convicted of molesting children and robbery with GBI and just be out free.
Speaker 2: Light other cars, cars on fire. Yes, Yes, what a world? What a world. And as we saw in some of the areas that where this fire has burned, it basically burned, started in Chico, but then burned away from that town a city, moved way up into the north and spread out east and west from there. It is burning in some areas that have not seen fire as long as we've been here. And by we I mean white people. It's been hundreds of years potentially since some of those areas have burned. So just think of the natural fires that would have occurred have not been occurring over the last hundred plus years.
Speaker 1: In the New York Times, the last bit of the article is under the headline is climate change to blame?
Speaker 2: No the child molester? First paragraph.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the fire, like I said, fourth in the state, now fourth in the history of the state that we know of.
Speaker 2: It could pass the Mendocino Complex fire as the third largest that was from just six years ago. The Mendocino Complex burned over four hundred and fifty nine thousand acres. There were also a handful of fires that started just yesterday from lightning strikes, they said, and one of them, I don't know if Michael knows this, but it's called the Krozier Fire, about seven hundred acres in the Placerville area. Several of the tiny little mountain towns up in that absolutely gorgeous part of the state have been evacuated. It's only seven hundred acres, like I said, as of this morning, but at five percent containment. They are concerned that this thing is just going to explode, because that is another area that has not seen a lot of fire activity recently. Internationally, three Balor Swift concerts have been canceled. Cops said they foiled an ISIS linked terror plot that was targeting at least one of the concerts that she was supposed to give in Vienna. The suspected terrorists seventeen and nineteen years old. We're planning to target Ernst Hoppel Stadium, where she was set to play tonight Tomorrow and Saturday, former President Trump posted on truth Social quote, I will be doing a general news conference all caps at two pm at mar A Lago Palm Beach in case you didn't know where mar A Lago was. And then he wrote thank you. Well, we're going to have to carry that. Oh yeah, at the top of the hour reasonever it starts.
Speaker 1: Michelle Pfeiffer is set to lead a Yellowstone sequel series.
Speaker 2: The show will be called Madison.
Speaker 1: It's described as a study of grief and human connection that follows a family from New York City in Central Montana's Madison River Valley.
Speaker 2: A study of grief that sounds awful.
Speaker 1: Was like just a bunch of yeah, a bunch of people that are just gonna die. What You're from New New York City and you're gonna go live off the land in Montana.
Speaker 2: You're not gonna know what to do.
Speaker 1: You're not gonna know how to skin that animal, cook that meat, like Robert F.
Speaker 2: Kennedy Junior in Central Park. Yeah, but maybe there's rip. Maybe Rip goes with her like the brewery Rip watch Yellowstone. I know I should do that. I should get too late. You know, people get really weird about their shows.
Speaker 1: So like if you missed the boat on a show and then like five years down the line, you're.
Speaker 2: Like, maybe I'll check it out. I was really the other day, really territorial about it if you're a fan of that show. Riverside County's East Vale Little League beat Hawaii in that semi final game on Wednesday. They move closer towards earning a berth in the Little League World Series, but they're gonna have to turn around and beat Hawaii again from Central East Maui Little League in Waii Luku. Tomorrow afternoon is that game, and you can watch it on the ESPNS.
Speaker 1: Well, there is a renaming of a post office in Compton and it is going to be named after Marine PFC James Anderson Junior. It was his decision in the Vietnamese jungle on February twenty eighth, nineteen sixty seven, during the Vietnam War. Obviously that leads to him being named after this post office he's also named. They also named a ship of barracks, a dining hall, a park in a street after James Anderson Junior.
Speaker 2: This isn't the first thing to be named after Pfc Anderson. He went to Centennial High School. He's been honored with the Military Sealift Command shipped in nineteen eighty five, was dedicated to him at Barrows Point, Maryland. It was used to support a marine brigade in the Indian Ocean until two thousand and nine, and Congresswoman Nanette Bragon that she remembered thinking, we've got introduced bill to make sure that we carry on his legacy because that ship was about to be retired.
Speaker 1: Denise Cross is one of Anderson's nieces. She remembers how her uncle, before he was deployed to Vietnam, would drive her to elementary school on his way to Los Angeles Harbor College.
Speaker 2: She says what stood out was his car.
Speaker 1: It was a nineteen sixty five Chevy and paula painted Evening Orchard, a rare color available for only one year.
Speaker 2: Is that what is that color? I'm just looking it up right now. It's like a deep pinkish purple.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, she says, that's high class right there. She says he would let me sit behind the wheel while he washed and polished it.
Speaker 2: Back when men took pride in their cars.
Speaker 1: So it was February nineteen sixty six, the Vietnam War is underway, and he enlists in the Marine Corps trains at Camp Pendleton and was deployed to Vietnam in December of that year, sixty six, so.
Speaker 2: He's only nineteen. He's trained as a rifle man. He finds himself in the Quang Tree Province and on a day in February sixty seven, he and his platoon go on a rescue mission to save a recon patrol that had been besieged by North Vietnamese forces. And he and his comrades in the dense jungle and they come under fire, they said. Soon he was on the ground with a tightly packed group of Marines.
Speaker 1: The enemy just sixty five feet away. A grenade was lobbed at the marines, landed near Anderson's head.
Speaker 2: Without hesitating, he.
Speaker 1: Grabbed it, pulled it close, wrapped his body around it. Just before the device detonated. His body absorbed the blast. He was immediately killed. He had just turned twenty. Because of his actions, no other Marines near him were killed.
Speaker 2: So the Pfc. James Anderson jo Junior Post Office is that Willowbrook and Compton Avenue are sorry Compton Boulevard. It's been there since nineteen thirty five. They said this played a role in directing droves of letters to his family. Once the story got out about his heroism, they wanted to celebrate him by sending him letters as opposed to posting something on Instagram.
Speaker 1: They did, they did not know the address as the as the news got out, they eventually sent letters to the mother of Medal of Honor recipient and they were delivered and they say, yeah, strong possibility those letters went through that Compton post office. If he was alive today, he would be seventy seven years old.
Speaker 2: You were talking about his One of his nieces, Denise Cross. She also related a story yesterday that said, back in the sixties, when he's washing that Impala, the beautiful Impaula at the evening orchid paint job, ice Kareem truck comes by and all the neighborhood kids run up except for one. One boy sat on the fence because they didn't have any money for a treat. So her uncle, her uncle James, calls the boy over and says, get whatever you want, it's on me. And he only wanted to pack of baseball cards, but Uncle James threw in the ice cream, so that he could sit there and eat with the others as well.
Speaker 1: Good story, La times I knock you all the time. Today you brought me a smile and joy.
Speaker 2: You hold back a little. Yes, World War III still imminent, Just to give you an idea. The latest rundown of what's going on. The Israeli Defense Forces said that a senior Hamas terrorist responsible for attacks in the West Bank has been killed. Lebanese reports said that an Israeli UAV had struck a target in southern Lebanon, several people wounded. Iran's president asked the Supreme Leader I had told Ali Kamani to avoid war by attacking Israel, according to a report the Saudi Arabian affiliated Iran International, because he wanted to keep his presidency intact, and he noted that an Israeli attack would severely disrupt that country's infrastructure and even potentially lead to an Iranian collapse. Last night, Egypt instructed its airlines to avoid airspace over Iran. Of course, all of this at National White House, National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said, quote, while all this is going on, and we seem to be ratcheting closer to war, he said, we are as close as we think we have ever been to a Israeli Hamas ceasefire and a hostage deal between Israel and Wow.
Speaker 1: We will get into the Olympics. Did you see Quincy Hall the men's four hundred meter race come from behind.
Speaker 2: It looked like he was so far out of it, and I mean the look on his face was I'm never going to make it. And that was the look of I am going to not only make it, I'm going to blow past these other guys. It was just an epic come back. Epic.
Speaker 1: Also, breakdancing has started, and I thought we could take a video of you break dancing so that people could.
Speaker 2: See that's what you thought. Yeah, oh, that's a great thought to have. I think that you could break dance. I don't think I got good.
Speaker 3: You never.
Speaker 1: You never got into that as a child, as a youth, I did see.
Speaker 2: I knew it. I profiled correctly. And my friend Frankie Johnson had a boombox, yes, and three older brothers and an actual piece of scrap lonola okay that we would lay out in his driveway. See, I knew you had moves. Do a little bit for the people, just a little bit. I used to be able to spin.
Speaker 1: I bet you could do the thing with the leg. It comes out like this and then you know this.
Speaker 2: Thing, you look like you're having an episode. You know what I'm talking about, though?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: No, Oh, what's wrong with your spine when you're when you're dead like this and you sweep the leg? Oh, like I'm doing the pommel horse. Not on the pommel horse. Yeah, never was able to do that. Oh. It takes a certain amount of coordination that apparently I never had. There is an awful story coming out out of Hollywood. Actor Gabriel Old's best known for his portrayal of Pat Robertson in the Eyes of Tammy Faye. I've never heard of that. Yeah you have, because Jessica Chastain played Tammy Faye Baker. I know you've heard of it. Did you probably never saw it? But what year was this? This was recently, I would say within the last five years, five six years. I think I hurt myself doing that. I told you, oh, man, now you have scoliosis. He was also on shows like The Rookie Ncis Los Angeles arrested on sexual assault charges. They said that back in twenty twenty three, a forty one year old woman reported to police that he had raped her at her home in LA Two additional adult victims later came forward made similar reports that date back several years, describing consensual dating encounters that then descended into violent sexual assault. They said that this guy in New York native and a Yale graduate, would use his status as an Ivy League alumnus, a Yale grad with some success in the film industry to meet these women and arrange these dates. You'd use dating apps to meet them. Each victim reported that he would lure them into a false sense of security during those initial encounters and then turn violent without seeking consent. They've identified three victims assaulted by the actor, two more who reported less violent but still sexual conduct due to his travels. They said that there may be other victims who have not yet to come forward again. His name is Gabriel Old Awful charged him with some and they could potentially charge him with more.
Speaker 1: That's why people don't date anymore. You don't know what kind of a psychopath is on the other end of that.
Speaker 2: App, and there's nothing that there's nothing that says that having that kind of a resume precludes you from being a dirty monster, right.
Speaker 1: So there is probably a false sense of security though when you think you're talking to an actor who a working actor, you don't think you're going to be sexually assaulted once you cross the threshold.
Speaker 2: For whatever reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the US has warned Iran that its newly elected government and economy could suffer a devastating blow if it were to mount a major attack against Israel.
Speaker 2: So I wonder if Masud Pezishkhan, the new Iranian president, is an American sleeper agent, because he went to the Ayatola and said, hey, maybe it's not a good idea for US to attack Israel because Israel's going to flatten us.
Speaker 1: The Biden administration has been mounting an intensive campaign to discourage Iran, its proxies, and Israel from undertaking military action that would trigger an escalation.
Speaker 2: We are standing by for a news conference. Former President Trump has announced that he will hold one is supposed to start at about eleven o'clock hour time. We are going to take at the very least part of it. We got to see what he says, because there's some assumption that he's going to be talking about new plans for a debate against Vice President Harris, So that might eat up a bunch of swamp Watch. But I also wanted to get into the story of President Biden sitting down for an interview with CBS. It will the full interview is supposed to air on Sunday morning, but he said to Robert Costa at CBS, he is not confident at all that there would be a peaceful transfer of power if Donald Trump loses. Read that his quote. He means it all the stuff about if we lose, there will be a bloodbath. We'll play the quote for you when we get into swamp watch.
Speaker 1: Coming up the Olympics, if you did not see the come from behind Quincy Hall win in the four hundred meters, it is something to see.
Speaker 2: Talk about finding another gear.
Speaker 1: I mean sometimes you watch athletes so it's football game or what have you find another gear and just turn on the jets.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've ever seen it in that that dramatic short of that short of a race.
Speaker 1: He was just so behind. He was in like what fourth position or something like.
Speaker 2: That, if not worse, I mean, but he was able to what he started when he reaches that turn again the four hundred So it's one lap around, he reaches that final turn, he's done three hundred yards and listening to the NBC commentators saying, the look on his face was that he was done. Yeah at three hundred that Usually at three hundred you might feel like you have a little bit left to give. But he looked like he was out of it and looked to even be fading. But whatever happened in his head, you could tell his strides got longer. He did, I mean it just yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: And then a different race, yeah, and then all of a sudden, he wins. He barely wins, and he looks up at the screen to see if he won, sees that he won, and just had the look on his face is he can't believe it.
Speaker 2: He's like what what? What just happened? He's just as mystified as all of us watching, almost like he blacked out in those rights strides.
Speaker 1: So do you want to do the breakdancing now? Or do you want to work on it in the break?
Speaker 2: I actually think that producer Matt's going to have better moves than Matt. That would be uh, that would be cool if he had the secret.
Speaker 1: You guys, what Mondo you guys should battle a big break a breakdance off.
Speaker 2: Who are the judges? I'll judge. It's what sounds real tempting for Matt and I to be the ones that roll around on the floor for a few minutes and then you guys just videotape it and mock us.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, it would just be like everybody wants the videos of normal people doing Olympic stuff.
Speaker 2: It's fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you're not a You're not are You're not a newbie at this. You you used to break dance with Frankie all the time, right.
Speaker 2: I think Eric was probably a better a breakdancer than both of us. Eric was pretty good. Yeah, yeah, Eric Downing. Do you guys break dance together and then have pillow fights? I don't know what you think happens neighborhood. It's not a slumber party. Not, no. No. The women's breakdancing competition takes place tomorrow. Qualifying rounds run from seven in the morning to about nine in the morning our time, Final three rounds in the afternoon, and then the men's competition will be Saturday, same schedule. I don't okay. There is a limit of summer Olympics athletes. Did you know that that they cap the number of athletes that can participate in the Summer Olympics. Okay, ten five hundred and organizers for the Paris Games were looking to add a sport that had as few competitors as possible, and at the same time, World Dance Sport Federation was looking to get a form of ballroom or salsa dancing into the Olympics. I feel like the better move, the better move, is to kind of carve off some of the the the fat perhaps that exists around the Olympics.
Speaker 1: We're getting too crazy here, a little too esoteric. Let's just keep it to the you know, the good old originals.
Speaker 2: Well, I wouldn't say the good old originals. One of the good old originals was literally floating in the water as long as you could. I think that there is that's kind of cool. But I mean soccer and I would even go so far as to say that baseball and softball should be brought back in Tennis is fine, golf is great. All of those things I think are still good. But in Olympic Breaking, two dancers face off against each other in three round battles on a circular stage meant to replicate the cipher, the circle that breakdancers form around the battling bee boys and be girls. I know that this is all you know, just wrote for you.
Speaker 1: Did you know that the original ancient Olympic Games, which began in seven seventy six before Christ in Olympia Greece, featured nude competitors. Yes, in all non equestrian events. If you work in a horse, you got to put your pants on. But so was it just an optional thing like b nude or don't be nude or no people just nude all the time?
Speaker 2: Just nude? There was no option. Oh really Yeah, if you're a French pole v alter, you got no shot.
Speaker 1: They said that it was tribute to Zeus, the Greek god, a way to showcase the athletes muscular physiques and physical strength.
Speaker 2: And everybody knows that Zeus never wore.
Speaker 1: Pants like Donald Sterling in a locker room. Look at my beautiful boys.
Speaker 2: For one minute each round. In these competitions, they take turns in the middle of the cipher, performing a series of dance moves spins, leaps, windmills, freezes, and then they'll try to match their moves to music selected randomly by a DJ. Judges then decide which break dancer performed the best according to a list of criteria musical interpretation, oh, I will watch this. Both the men and the women Olympic competitions have sixteen breakers each. The first round is a round robin qualifier that cuts the field in half. Quarter files, quarterfinals, semi finals, and finals are going to be single elimination. The American and probably the best bee boy entering the Olympics, Victor Montalvo, known as bee Boy Victor, He's thirty, Francis Donis Seville, Bee Boy, Danny Dan, Canada.
Speaker 1: Sound Ridiculous Canada is Philip Kim the boy You're sounding ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Breaking will take place in a temporary open air stadium in the middle of Place de con carl where three x three basketball, skateboarding and BMX freestyles also help. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show, you can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.