Speaker 1: The point of regulation is to protect investors, make sure that people get the right disclosure. If you spend all of this time and energy trying to figure out which regulator to go to, what the requirements are, that is not actually helping the bottom line and helping investors. So I agree regulations should be easy. Regulation is burdensome, like when you're regulated. It's not supposed to be easy, but the process of getting registered and regulated and understanding which agency need to be regulated with that should be easy so that you can get to the bottom line and protect investors.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by bitgo, the trusted infrastructure behind the digital asset economy. If you're serious about crypto, whether you're an investor, institution, or building in this space, you already know security, compliance, and execution are everything. And that's exactly what bitgo delivers. With over a decade of experience and fifty five hundred plus institutional clients across one hundred plus countries, bitgo provides a full suite of services including qualified custody, trading, staking, financing, and stable coin infrastructure, all in one platform. Let's break it down one to launch crypto services fast bitgos Crypto as a service lets banks, FinTechs, and platforms go live in as little as a couple of months without dealing with complex licensing or infrastructure. If you're looking to launch a stable coin, bidgo offers a complete stable coin as a service platform, from reserves and smart contracts to compliance, built to align with the new US regulatory framework. That is the genius at want to earn rewards on your crypto. Bitgo runs one of the largest institutional staking platforms, with tens of billions staked across fifty plus networks. All while your assets stays securely in qualified custody. Need deep liquidity and execution. Their trading platform aggregates liquidity across thirty plus venues, giving you better pricing and the ability to trade directly from custody. No pre funding required for approved clients. And if you need capital, bitgo offers crypto backed financing so you can unlock liquidity without selling your assets.
Speaker 3: So here's the bottom line. Bitco is one of the.
Speaker 2: First federally chartered digital asset infrastructure companies, offering regulated, insured custody and a platform built for institutions but accessible to for thinking players across the space. So whether you're scaling a fintech, managing a fund, or building the future of finance, bitco gives you all the tools that you need to do this securely, compliantly, and at scale. So learn more at bitgo dot com and see why the biggest players in crypto trust Bitgo. Hey everyone, welcome into the Thinking Crypto podcast. I'm your host Tony Edward and we're recording at Station three in New York's Financial District. And joining me today is Tiffany Smith, who is a partner and co chair of the Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Working Group at Wilmer Hale. She has over fifteen years of experience advising the largest financial institutions on complying with securities laws. Last year, Tiffany testified before the House Financial Services Subcommittee on Digital Assets to discuss crypto market structure legislation. And she's also a member of the Wall Street Blockchain Alliance and Women in Crypto.
Speaker 4: Tiffany welcome, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tiffany, it's a great day for us to be talking because we got the draft of the CLARITIAC today. The industry everybody's heads down reading through. But you bring a lot of experience at the table, and I want to pick your brain on securities laws and where you see the future of crypto going and much more. But before we get to all that, tell us about yourself. Where'd you grow up, how'd you get into the legal field, and much more.
Speaker 1: Oh well, first of all, thanks for having me. I'm very excited to be here. I've been listening to this podcast for the last couple of years. So I'm from New Jersey. Originally, I grew up near the Shore area in a town called Neptune, which is by Asbury Park. Went to d C for undergrad at George Washington, stayed in DC there for law school, and then I went to my firm, Wilmore Hail right after law school, and I've been there ever since. Been in New York for since twenty eleven, so i've been here back in the Tristate area for a while now.
Speaker 2: And where along the line at Wilmer Hill did you discover blockchain and crypto and how did you become the co chair of that group?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been a journey.
Speaker 1: So I started off in the firm and the securities broker dealer regulation group when I started back in two thousand and eight, no one knew what a broker dealer was. And I would go to cotail party any place and I would say broker dealer and people would fall asleep. And now I feel like everyone talks about broker dealers, exchanges, transferagious exchanges, transfer agents, and all of those types of entities which are very critical to crypto. And so for me, I first started thinking about crypto from the tokenization lens. So back in twenty seventeen, I was at Wilmer always focused on the intersection between technology and securities laws. So back then it was really fintech before they called it fintech, so really electronics trading instead of trading on the floor, trading using technology. And so in twenty seventeen, the Dow Report came out and it talked about how in certain instances crypto assets could be securities, and it sort of like had crypto and security as loss sort of front and center, and so I looked at it as just being another version of new technology being used to trade securities at that point, and so my first FORTE was actually tokenization. So it's sort of funny because back in twenty seventeen, everyone.
Speaker 4: Talks about RWA today, but back in.
Speaker 1: Twenty seventeen, it was tokenizing real estate, art, wine, collectible and those are the first types of matters I worked on initially, and over the years I started working on crypto matterage more broadly. But my first forte was a tokenization of real world assets, which is like, come full circle, because everyone's talking about that today.
Speaker 2: You were so early twenty seventeen. I don't think I heard the word tokenization. I heard ico, I heard about this coin and that coin, but the concept of tokenization was not as prominent as it is now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's interesting because everyone has a different touch depending where they sit. So because I work at a large law firm, the clients that were coming to us were the clients that were institutional backed, and they were thinking of tokeniza chain as a way to fractionalize real world assets, and so I thought that was super interesting. Or people were saying, Okay, if I have a private placement, and usually if a private placement it's really illiquid, but I can tokenize it and I can have a secondary market immediately, And so thinking about giving people access and being able to have more people get like, you know, being able to trade in art or wine or other types of assets and normally or only reserve for certain types of people who have certain types of money. And so I thought that was super fascinating.
Speaker 2: So fast forward to twenty twenty six, Tiffany, what a journey that tradfy. The major bangs and institutions are here, and to your point, they're looking to put all these assets on chain. They're now starting with stocks and other equities like money market funds and then commodities, gold as well. Are you blown away by the you know, growth that we've seen.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it's super exciting to see. It's super exciting to see it. Sort of it's interesting it was sort of small mentor backed companies that were experimenting back in twenty seventeen. You know, I was early, really too early, and a lot of the companies that are around that time didn't make it. And so now it's sort of you have both the institutional clients, institutional traditional entities thinking about tokenization as well as the traditional crypto protocols and clients. So everything is sort of coming together and it's kind of all leading into this term called a super app and really, instead of having segmented markets where you have crypto, you know, with one intermedia or one company and then securities with another company. It's really going to this place where we have everything all together. And so you have both traditional companies and crypto companies offering these products, and I think that is super exciting.
Speaker 2: So speaking of traditional companies, you and I were speaking before we started recording. You were just a consensus Miami. You mentioned some of the biggest institutions had setups there. Tell us about who you saw there.
Speaker 1: I saw everyone there. There's a lot of suits. So first off, it was very crowded, right, you know, I've been going to consensus. I know, maybe this is my sixth or so consensus and sort of like depending on the price of crypto assets kind of depends on like the vibe at the conference. So there were you know, super crowded. There were both like institutional participants there as well as the crypto native companies there. The sides of the boost kind of show the investment, right, So like we talked about like one of the large banks having a huge installation, there's other you know crypto protocols that had their own stages.
Speaker 4: So it's a really good mix.
Speaker 1: And I saw like other clients that I know who have been in crypto for years and don't really have like a low profile, but because their major institutions, who are who had people or they didn't have signage because they kind of move sort of under the radar, but they were there.
Speaker 4: So the first time I've seen.
Speaker 1: Them ever at consensus, So I thought that was pretty fascinating.
Speaker 2: That's pretty significant because at one point, Tiffany, this was all taboo, like, don't talk about it, it's a scam.
Speaker 3: I will fire anyone who.
Speaker 2: Touches this many we may recalled that famous code from Jamie Diamond. But now they've got employees there, they've got people out, they're talking about crypto, blockchain tech, how can we use it in different ways, how can we innovate it.
Speaker 3: It's fascinating.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's it's fascinating.
Speaker 1: I think it's also as a result of all of the regulatory clarity that we have, you know clarity. The bill is still pending before Congress, but the SEC and other agencies have done a great job providing clarity with their existing authorities. And so now I sort of think we think of crypto, I kind of think of four different buckets, and so you have you know, assets, like Bitcoin. Then you have like other types of crypto assets like solana ethereum. We can like build on them and actually like you know, have tokenization other types of unlocks that you have stable coin, and then you have token is securities and sometimes you know, particularly when we had regulatory uncertainty, we sort of thought.
Speaker 4: About all of those assets all together.
Speaker 1: And now that we have clarity, you have different institutions who were interested in different parts of that taxonomy I laid out right, And so it could be that some of the large institutions still don't think, still don't want to touch a bit Kanye still don't want to touch crypto assets, but they really believe in tokenization, right. And so because we have this clarity, we have this unlock in different aspects of the industry. And I think that's why you can have a major conference and have so many different types of participants because people are all going there the different interests and different segments of the economy or the you know, the different aspects of crypto.
Speaker 2: I should say, pardon the interruption. Hi, I'm Tony. I'm the host of the Thinking Crypto podcast. I wanted to ask you if you can please support the podcast by hitting the like button subscribing. If you haven't as yet, you can leave a comment below as well well. And if you're listening on a podcast platform such as Spotify, Apple or wherever you get your podcasts, please be sure to follow and hit the five star rating. I'll let you get back to the content.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. You made a.
Speaker 2: Pretty profound point there where you highlighted at somebody's institutions. They may not care to hold bigcoin or even have a bigcoin product. However, the blockchain rails they're interested in that the actual networks that they can go build on which benefits the tokens, but they don't necessarily have to participate with the token at.
Speaker 1: All, exactly exactly. And that's like, you know, sort of going back to my origins in the space. It wasn't that folks were doing icos, at least my clients. It was really using the rails, using tokenization to fractionalize, using tokenization to be able to have quicker settlement, using tokenization or tokenization to enable distribution.
Speaker 4: And so it's all of those.
Speaker 1: Elements of the technology that firms are looking at using that I think results in a broad subsection.
Speaker 4: Of firms who were interested in it.
Speaker 2: Now, you testified last year before Congress the Subcommittee on Digital Assets. Tell us about that and what was the conversation. These were the early days in trying to get the clarity.
Speaker 1: Active Assue going, yeah, so this is super early. So to kind of set the stage. That was back in April of last year. That was before the House had.
Speaker 4: Actually came out with Clarity.
Speaker 1: So they were sort of working a little bit around Fit twenty one, taking us way back. And so this was the first hearing on market structure that sort of set the stage for that Congress to introduce what became Clarity. And so in my testimony, I talked about the need for legislation for digital assets, how they were distinct and different from you know, typical securities, which resulted in the rules for securities not being a perfect fit. I talked about the consequences of not having regulatory clarity and so in the need for really why we need legislation. And so that was just over a year ago. A few weeks later, maybe a month or so later, we actually had the first draft of what became Clarity introduced by the House. History like that they passed it.
Speaker 4: Now it's sitting before Senate banking.
Speaker 2: So we owe you thank you because you are certainly one of the folks to help get this.
Speaker 4: Small small thank you, small thank you, small thank you.
Speaker 2: Obviously, the draft of the bill came out today, everybody's still going through the you know, with a fine tooth comb.
Speaker 3: We're recording this on Tuesday, May.
Speaker 2: Twelfth, and the markup is going to happen in two days on Thursday, May fourteenth.
Speaker 3: So what are you anticipating with this process?
Speaker 2: Maybe can tell us about the sausage making here, like, is it going to be a lot of back and forth? Remove this line, put this line in that type of thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So during during a markup, both sides have the ability to introduce the amendments, and so we need there to be bipartis and support, Like, you know, the version of the bill that passed Senate ag pass on a parison basis, and in order for the bill to actually pass Senate, we bipartis and support. So I imagine that there's going to be some amendments made by the Democrats to make sure that they have whatever compromise language they need in there that's not already there. So they feel comfortable passing it, so you can get out of committee, because we still have a couple more steps to go. And so where we're at now is because market structure touches both the SEC and a CFTC. There's two separate Senate committees of jurisdiction. So the Senate agg which has already passed their version right now, Senate Banking, they're going to have their mark up on Thursday. Once it passes out of Senate Banking, we need to go down to the Senate floor, and once the full Senate votes on it, then the bills that are passed by Senate would need to be reconciled by what was passed by the House last year. So we're still a few steps removed. And President Trump has called for the bill to be passed by July fourth, So there's a lot of work to be done that's going to actually happen.
Speaker 3: Fingers crossed, Tiffany, they can get this done.
Speaker 2: It would be so amazing, especially if you get it done by I know July fourth is the two hundred and fiftieth year anniversary of the United States and celebration and all that. All that's going to happen if they can get it done, it'd be pretty momentous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Another thing I think that not everyone fully appreciates is that getting a bill is really.
Speaker 4: Just the first step.
Speaker 1: Once you have legislation, then you actually need to go into the rule making phase, and that can be quite significant. For example, Genius, which is really only about payment stable cliwings so much much more narrow had over fourteen rule makings that were required by that legislation, and some of the rule makings that came out were like over three hundred questions, and so if you think about the Senate Banking version, which is over three hundred pages, I can only imagine them or rule makings are going to be required. So it's really imperative that we get legislation passed so the rule making can process, can get started, so the bill can actually be enacted by the agencies.
Speaker 2: So, Tiffany, as it relates to rule making, the SEC seems to be getting ahead of curve here. They put out a lot of guidance and this is very much in your lane because you have a plethor.
Speaker 3: Experience with securities laws.
Speaker 2: I would love to start with the SEC's recent guidance on crypto securities with the four categories they put out.
Speaker 3: What is your take on that?
Speaker 1: So, first, I think the SEC did a wonderful job. It was a huge undertaking to provide that clarity, and I think it's helpful and we're already starting to see the market react to that. And so that is commission level guidance. There's a different there's a number of different types of guidance that can be put out by the SEC. You have staff level guidance. There's been a lot of staff level statements. Sort of the highest level of guidance you can provide without a rule is commission level guidance. And so there it has five different categories. So you have digital digital tokens like the like you know, ether, salon, et cetera. There's fourteen different assets identify there, digital collectibles such as n FT's digital IDs, payment stable coins. And then the last categories token is securities. And so the first three that I mentioned are presumptively not securities, which is helpful because it lets the industry know that they're kind of fall outside the jurisdiction of the feraoh securities laws. It does where it gets a little bit complicated, is it talks about how pursuance to how you can be a non security crypto asset and still be so pursuant to an investment contract. And so it sort of has like the analysis as to when you're an investment contract versus not. But it's helpful to have that guidance because once you sort of have something to you have the Commission's views. It allows companies to build, to react or when necessary, seek additional guidance.
Speaker 2: Do you think this is comprehensive or there needs to be any additional items or it filled in all the gaps.
Speaker 1: I think it's a good start, and so that's why I started to buy applauding them.
Speaker 4: It's much more difficult.
Speaker 1: To start with something even though that's not going to be perfect. And so because they did, like you know, sort of setting the stage, and Crypto Task Force was started over a year ago and they have been taking tons of meetings. They've provided a foundation for industry to provide input and they kind of took all of that and that result culminated in the in the Commission level guidance, and so I think it's a great start. I think there are still questions, right, I think, for example, folks still have questions about when a NASA is subject to an investment contract versus when it separates and some of the statements made there.
Speaker 4: But I think because we have the.
Speaker 1: Commissions the Commission's interpretation as of March, it gives firms the ability when they have additional questions to go in and seek additional guidance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it helps out.
Speaker 2: They're more friendly and open to dialogue versus you come in and you get a hit with a law suiter a Wells notice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I think.
Speaker 1: So you know, during those times, we you know, defended a number of clients Buith publicly and you.
Speaker 4: Know, non publicly.
Speaker 1: And I think when you're trying to run a company based on looking at a complaint or a settlement, it's very difficult because when you read a complaint, you're trying to compare sort of what that company did to what you did. And it's like, okay, well they mentioned in this complaint against X company that you know this particular asset is a security. Does that automatically mean that I have to delist the asset?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Or you know this staking program is an investment contract, does that mean mine is?
Speaker 2: Like? Right?
Speaker 1: And so I think any type of guidance is super helpful because it gives firms some direction and sort of something like a type of north star to sort of aim for. And because the SEC's willing to engage, they've asked for comments even with that interpretation, So it really provides an industry and ability to provide more feedback to kind of get to the right place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that makes sense and that's really great to hear.
Speaker 2: Now, Prior to this guidance, pretty much securities lawyers and everybody in industry have to look to how we test.
Speaker 3: So how does this fit with the how we test? Or doesn't have to fit.
Speaker 2: It could just be this is for digital assets specifically, while it takes some of the how how we test LINGO for token I securities and things.
Speaker 1: Like that, so that so I kind of I would separate out token I securities. When I think of token I securities, I think of you know, take you know X ticker which is on uh, this is on the stock exchange, and just having a digital version of that. I think where the how we test comes into play is when you have a new asset that is like, you know, not a security that's being so pursuant to an investment contract, and the guidance interpretation talks about instances where an issuer issues a new asset and makes promises and the purchasers of that asset rely on those promises, and it kind of talks about how you can have an asset that's not a security, but it's so pursuant to an issue, we're making promises, and how until those promises are fulfilled or abandoned, it's still considered a security. And so that's what and that's something that the industry. There was twenty nineteen guidance which was less clear, and then it was a lot of confusion during the intervening times, particularly because there were various court cases in different courts that had different versions of this theory. And so that's the kind of the clearest guidance we have. But I think it's super important that you had the Commission saying very firmly that a non security crypto asset can be sold pursuant to an investment contract, and then talking about when that investment contract no longer exists.
Speaker 2: And I know the SECI, I think I recall Chair Atkins said they still have to release guidance or rulemaking on tokenization itself, right, I think that's still to come, and they may be in the process working on it.
Speaker 1: So there's a couple of different I think types of guidance we're waiting for. So the staff has shoot guidance about tokenization several different models, whether it's issuers driven or third party or synthetic, and then the commission level interpretation sort of reference that guidance to bring that staff level guidance up to the commission level. There are still I think some questions about you know, what additional guidance has needed for tokenization. But unlike you know other assets, other crypto assets, we are when it comes to tokenization, there are one hundred percent emphatically securities. It's just a matter of how the securities laws fit with a digitally native asset.
Speaker 4: So I do that it's different.
Speaker 1: The other thing that we're waiting for is guidance on it's called like reg crypto, which sort of provides a safe harbor for issuers of new crypto assets to be able to offer that asset, you know, with like limited I'll say, like some type of exemption from the feral securities laws. And then the other type of guidance that has been teased, and the industry is anxiously awaiting the innovation exemption, and that provides a way for on chain liquidity providers to provide liquidity to trade assets on chain without having to comply with the full registration requirements.
Speaker 2: Let's double click on the reg because that one's interesting. Is that kind of what people were waiting for in twenty seventeen for icos that if I want to launch a network, a layer one with its own token that takes handles that type of situation.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's my understanding. It's sort of like the safe harbor that Commissioner Purse had been had proposed and reproposed a couple of years ago. So it talks about instances where you're issuing a token to raise capital, the types of disclosures you need to make, and I'm understanding, but have some type of tests that determines when you're no longer essentially a security and required to make those disclosures versus when you're like fully decentralized.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 2: I'm really fascinated by that because that goes back to lawsuits that happened even under.
Speaker 3: Jay Clayton yeh, when he was chair.
Speaker 2: So that's going to be a big one, and I wonder if you know, I'll just give an example. I'm not picking on them in any way, but Circle just did a pre sale on their arc blockchain token, and black Rock was a participant, Apollo and some big names, So I wonder if folks are going to try to get ahead of this and launch share tokens before that comes out.
Speaker 1: So I think the interesting distinction between what's happening now versus twenty seventeen twenty seventeen prior to the Dow report, I don't think firms or projects either they didn't realize they were issuing securities or they took the view that they weren't going to comply with the feral securities laws, like right one of the two things here after you know, years of enforcement in all of the ICO cases, I think it's pretty clear to most projects that offering a token is a securities transaction, and so they typically comply most of the time because it's easier. They comply with the with the reg D or some type of offering exemption and only sell to credit investors. So to me, I think the most powerful part of reg crypto would be the potential to offer the token in the US to retail investors, right because right now, if you think about some of the I'm not going to name names because you know lots of clients, but some of the larger crypto projects who have issued tokens, some of them indeed did either did it offshore or they only only sold them to credit investors because of the securitious law issue. And so that's why I think that having reg crypto and allowing these tokens to be issued directly to retail investors who want to participate is a big unlock. I'm not providing securious advice. I'm not saying that everyone should go out and buy them, but I think just having the ability to access these markets.
Speaker 4: Because we because they have it in the past, would be it's going to be a big unlock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that was certainly a challenge in the years prior twenty seventeen onward with the icos, where people would send money to their cousin in Germany, Hey buy this coin and then send it back to me via thiss wallet, right because they couldn't access it here.
Speaker 3: But how does that dynamic play out?
Speaker 2: Do you think where these tokens are on the globally distributing network. The supply can be in different parts of the world, so to speak.
Speaker 3: And if people.
Speaker 2: Overseas don't have to comply with the US laws and they can have the token, but I can send my uncle, Like, how does that? I don't understand how the SEC would even manage that.
Speaker 3: It's tough.
Speaker 4: It is tough.
Speaker 1: The SEC has very broad jurisdiction when it comes to US persons, and so I think that if you know, there's limited instances where people send money to their cousins and participate in offering, I think that's one thing that's really hard to police. I think it's another thing if it's happening on full scale, that's sort of part of the distribution plan, because then it's like the project or the token issuer is avoiding is like kind of avoiding complying with.
Speaker 4: The US securities laws.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But I think we sort of we want to get past that, right And I think that, as a lot of folks have said, the US has the most liquid capital markets, and so I think that once the SEC provides guidance about how to issue tokens in the US, people are going to sort of around the globe will come here and we're seeing this now, even with respect to crypto projects. Right before, when everyone's sort of looking offshore because of regultory uncertainty, now they're all sort of coming back. You see every week you see a new project or protocol who previously only did offshore offerings is now coming to the US and setting up shop.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: And so I agree that crypto assets are global, but I think because everyone wants to be in the US, once standards are set here that allow people to participate and not just institutions, I think that the you know, people will comply with whatever the standards are and they'll and there'll be lots of token offerings here.
Speaker 3: That's a great point.
Speaker 2: We have the largest capital markets mostly good as you mentioned, and you know, once the rules are clear, I could see more people coming back because at one point they were like, you know what, screw to US. I don't want to get in trouble there. I'm gonna go do it overseas. But once the rules of the road are clear, it will be a lot easier for them.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And even like air drops like right, that's a great example. Like back in the twenty nineteen SEC guidance, there was language indicating that air drops could even be security as offerings. And with this Commission guidance, we were just talking about you know, there's instances where air drop you can give air drops to us persons like right, So there's just all of these little unlocks that we have as a result of this clarity.
Speaker 2: Boy, I can't wait for air drops to come back. Make make air drops it great again. That would be really good. So that's a big one that I think I'm really looking forward to the other thing that the SEC provided was guidance on user interfaces. SEC staff issues broker dealer registration guidance on certain user interfaces tell us about the significance of this.
Speaker 4: So it's actually really huge.
Speaker 1: So, as I mentioned, I grew up as a broker dealer attorney, and it's sort of you know, you're ingrained as a broker dealer attorney that someone's engaging in a security transaction and they received transaction based compensation that they're a broker, and that's sort of how a lot of the guidance that has been issued over the last couple of years, really twenty thirty years has indicated. And so this guidance basically says that if you provide a wallet or user interface that allows a user to direct transactions to a liquidity provider, whether centralizer decentralized. If you follow certain standards or certain conditions, that interface doesn't need to register as a broker dealer, even though that interface is allowed to get transaction based compensation. So from a broker dealer, you know history perspective, it's quite significant, and you know, the thing that it leaves open is the destinations to which the order are routed, whether it's decentralized or centralized. It doesn't talk about the status of those destinations, so it's a little bit disjointed.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: You're allowed to have a wallet that.
Speaker 1: Allows a user to direct or messages to a liquidity pool, but it doesn't talk about the status of that liquidity pool, and that's what the innovation exemption is supposed to cover.
Speaker 2: So I'm assuming this is very big for self hosted crypto wallets crypto walts in general.
Speaker 4: Correct, Yeah, absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 1: So if you think back to some of the cases that were brought under the prior administration, I can think of at least two where crypto wallets were alleged to be unregistered brokers. This essentially provides clarity that under these conditions, a crypto wallet is not acting as a broker dealer.
Speaker 3: There's something the CFDC also did recently.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you're more on the security side, but I don't know if you're aware of this, and I it's escaping my mind right now, but I interviewed that one of the folks from Phantom, the crypto wallet company, and it was pretty big and it was something related to broker dealer as well. So you got both the SEC and CFDC providing the clearance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one's a little bit different. It talks about introducing brokers and it provided a way for introducing brokers wallet providers essentially to send orders to introducing brokers.
Speaker 4: On the CFTC side.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit different because, as I mentioned, the SEC guidance permitted orders to be sent to centralized or decentralized protocol that allows it to be sent to centralize and it's on the CFTC side, So it's distinct.
Speaker 4: But I think.
Speaker 1: Overall, anytime there's guidance that sort of talks about the parameters of when you can comply with the laws, you don't have to comply with the laws that are applicable. I think that's helpful for the industry and for builders because I know they have standards that they can build towards.
Speaker 2: I love that these agencies are providing the guidance, and it's like a breath of fresh heir to have them just working together closely.
Speaker 3: The Mike c like cheer Atkins.
Speaker 2: They had to I remember a joint hearing together and much more saying Hey, we're gonna do this, We're gonna work together Project Crypto and all that jazz.
Speaker 3: So it's really great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's great for a number of different ways. It's it's great for firms who are in.
Speaker 1: The crypto spaces, especially because, as I kind of laid out before, you know, certain crypto assets are digital commodities, certain of them could be securities, and so having the agencies work together is helpful because it allows firms to go in and request one meeting and talk to both agencies at the same time and talk about how their products should be categorized, what registrations they need. We haven't got into it yet, but Chair Atkins and Chair saleg have teased the ability for you know, a company to be registered with one agency and sort of like have lighter registration by the other entity, by the other agency, which is significant because today a lot of entities are duly registered and so that really helps from the perspective of competitiveness. In the US, Unlike a lot of other jurisdictions, we have a number of different regulators, right, and so you can be one one company and you're registered with the CFDC, the SEC, the banking regulators, right, whereas and another jurisdiction you might only be registered with one with one agency. And so as the SEC is sort of sorry, the SECCFDC has of thinking about competitiveness and how this global asset is going to impact the markets. They sort of have that hat on that type of thinking to think about how US firms can stay competitive and how the US shouldn't be kind of falling behind from an investment perspective because it's too burdensome to be regulated here.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it's twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: You should make this so easy, right, Digital and these agencies should have some interoperability where they can share information and it could be one platform that they pull the same data from that I don't have to go register here with this guy and that guy. And especially with AI and plus blockchain technology.
Speaker 1: Come on, guys, Yeah, no, absolutely, I think that like understanding that you have to be regulated and being regulated should be the easy part, right, because the point of regulation is to protect investors, make sure that people get their right disclosures right. And so if you spend all of this time and energy trying to figure out which regulator to go to, what the requirements are are, that is not actually helping the bottom line and helping investors, like right, And so I agree regulation should be easy, like regulation is burdensome, like once you're regulated, it's not supposed to be easy, But the process of getting registered and regulated and understanding you know which agency need to be regulated with like that should be easy so that you can get to the bottom line and protect investors.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, tell us a bit about as much as you can, because we know there's NDAs and privacy and so forth. With your clients, you probably can't give names. Well, what type of clients are you working with? How are are they viewing the change in the landscape under the Trump administration as well as the guidance from the SEC.
Speaker 1: So I have a very broad client base, So I work with a lot of crypto data firms, from centralized platforms to infrastructure providers, to wallets, to venture capital firms to trade associations, also work with a number of the traditional firms, including you know, the ones who are ogs who have been kind of experimenting with crypto for years, as well as the ones who are sort of newer to crypto, are not even like publicly on the radar, So very very broad client base. I think at bottom, each firm wants to understand which rules apply to them and wants a path to comply with the applicable rules. And so for some of my crypto native firms matricularly ones that really provide software, is trying to figure out under what circumstances they need to be registered. And then for my traditional firms, which were already registered and regulated, is figuring out okay, because you know, on chain assets behave differently, what types of you know, how should their regulations be modified so that they can continue to meet their regulatory requirements for a different type of assets. So I think at bottom, everyone wants clarity. And we're talking earlier about about my testimony lest year, and that's essentially what I said, Like you have clarity, it helps both crypto native and traditional firms. And it's also super important from a competitive perspective because once we start, once we had genius, for example, you see all of these firms, both crypto native and traditional, sort of getting into the stable coin space from different perspectives, whether it's getting an OCC charter, whether it's partnering with a stable coin provider, whether it's like figuring out how to use stable coins in the back for like payment settlement purposes. So it's really that clarity that really drives innovation and drives competition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so do you imagine that you know, once clarity is past, President Trump signs it that we're going to see a kickoff of innovation and these companies, especially trad fin institutions, building out their divisions, hiring people, creating jobs, coming up with things we didn't even think of before for blockchain innovation and applications.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I think for so, I think the traditional firms they really need legislation and you know, in some respects like affirmative, the affirmative ability to engage in this this asset class before they invest. And so if I think back twenty twenty twenty twenty twenty twenty one, there were a number of large traditional institutions who sort of came to us. They were investing in crypto, they wanted help trying to figure out, you know, getting.
Speaker 4: How to get into this industry.
Speaker 1: And then once the price after like you know, various scandals and bankruptcies and then we had the enforcement cloud, they all sort of deinvested. They got rid of those teams, right, And so I think everyone is looking back at history and being very cautious about investing until we have enough like regulatory clarity and really regulatory durability.
Speaker 4: So that's why. And this is like.
Speaker 1: Cha Atkins has mentioned that, so clarity the bill is important not just be because it provides guidance about the status of assets, but it's important because it provides a regulatory durability. And that's why even though the sec let the Commission and staff have done a great job in providing guidance about how different products and services can comply with the laws of other their jurisdiction, that's not they need to engage in rule making so you actually have durability so that the next administration can't sort of reverse what has been done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the key, right, Even if the SEC does all this great work. Another administration can come and say, you know what, Nope, change it, throw it all out yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're super you know, both in public discussions and private discussions. The SEC and staff are fully aware of that. And so just last Friday, Chair Atkins made a speech talking about how the staff and the Commission has put out guidance and statements, but in order to have durability, they need to start engaging in rulemaking.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, I know this is kind of taking a backseat because all eyes are on the Clarity Act right now, but defiant tax legislation.
Speaker 3: Are you in talks with anybody you are you hearing anything there?
Speaker 2: Are your client saying, hey, okay, we need clarity, but what about tax?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So tax is I think the next big thing that folks are thinking about just a consensus. Last week, Representative horse For from Nevada was talking about the Parity Act, So I know that there's a draft, there's draft legislation out there.
Speaker 4: We just help a.
Speaker 1: Group of clients submitted an amicus brief on the Garret case, which is a crypto tax case. So I think people are definitely thinking about it. It's sort of like not the most, not not at the top of the list right now because of all of the back and forth with clarity. But in order for crypto to really meet its full potential, you sort of need to have the assets tax at the proper way, right, And I think even I'm not a tax lawyersoever, but just you know my recent work, you know, getting into the jerokees, just really understanding how the mistreatments of a monastic can have like really fundamental consequences. It really made me realize just how important tax law for crypto is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the keyword you mentioned there, it's so important for adoption because yes, I'll have clarity, but if I don't know what I can do with my staking rewards or how it can spend my crypto if want to buy something or whatever, uh, it's going to.
Speaker 4: Hold me back from exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: Boy. So we got to get this Clarity Act done.
Speaker 4: Tiffany clarity and then parody then parody.
Speaker 2: Right, it's exciting, but you know, look, we got genius done. And that's often to racist, even though some of the banks are pushing back on stable corn yield, but you know, it's it is law. So if we get Clarity done, that would be so impactful for this industry and I can't wait to see the innovation posts that becoming law.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think that using Genius as an example, that's why we saw all the really innovative products that I've sort of mentioned like right, and so I'm just really excited, Like based on Genius and you're talking about just payment stable coins and all of the innovation and all of the new market participants in entering there, It's been like dramatic because Clarity is so much more broad and captures so much more of the market. I'm excited to see having that legislation, what it unlocks.
Speaker 2: What do you have on your road map? Are you going to any end of the conferences? Are you testifying before the Congress again?
Speaker 1: So no plans to testify. This week, I'm going to be speaking at the Kansas City FEDS Innovation Conference. It's a group of community bankers, so that's going to be super interesting and just you know, a lot of travel, a lot a lot of conferences. I think, you know my road map. A lot of my clients are looking forward to making and making sure that all of the great guidance of the SEC put out is durable, and so there's been a lot of guidance out there for like different aspects of the Exchange Act. There's been less about what it means to be a clearing agency, and so that's something that Commissioner Akins or Chair Akins mentioned on Friday. So that's sort of like some of the stuff that we're working on exciting.
Speaker 2: Well, tell the folks of the FED, you know, we need their help as well. All right, get these banks on board. I got some wrap up questions here for you, Tiffany, the rapid Fire, favorite food, seafood, favorite musician.
Speaker 1: Or band Beyonce of course, favorite movie? Don't have one really, not movie person?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, how about favorite book?
Speaker 4: That's a hard one too.
Speaker 1: The last book I've read was Let Them by Mel Robbins.
Speaker 4: But don't really have a favorite book either.
Speaker 3: And when you're not working, what do you do for fun?
Speaker 4: I like to travel, like to travel, I like to work.
Speaker 2: At nice Tiffany, we're gonna have to do a round two, especially when ray crypto guidance comes from the SEC.
Speaker 3: You've got a lot of knowledge. But thank you so.
Speaker 4: Much for joining me today, thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for tuning in, Please hit the like button subscribe if you haven't as yet. If you're listening on a podcast platform such as Spotify or Apple, please follow and leave a five star rating.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much,