Speaker 1: Little otis ready on your Spotify and rapped. You're You're surprising me all day. Like I said, I thought it was gonna be a bunch of dudes either named Luke or Brian or Zach, but nothing.
Speaker 2: Always some otis on my on my Spotify rap.
Speaker 3: I don't know it should surprise you, although there are plenty of Willie's and Whyland's and the.
Speaker 1: Sort like no, I've just put you in a box, which is probably unfair.
Speaker 2: There's some Ray Charles, there's some Otis race that's also down my own.
Speaker 1: Will Hardy's an Apple Music guy, you Needa, Mike on Uh and Chris Camradi's sitting across from me. That's kind of an upset. I feel like you need like anti Apple music and more of a Spotify guy.
Speaker 3: Spotify seems too hard because you have to like subscribe, and I think I'm my grandfathered in with Apple stuff because maybe because I get some sort of MLS packet.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, well I'm one of the dudes that has both, okay, unnecessarily, and I do think it is because of both of us being a proud subscriber to the MLS channel.
Speaker 2: We support, we support at our soccer league. We for sure we do.
Speaker 1: Certainly the lads. I will say that I think our guy Sam Stay School and Apple Television, the presentation is has been very very good.
Speaker 3: I need to I haven't hit up Sam in a while. Last time he's there, right yeah, oh yeah, yeah he went to Japan, I know, like last month. But he does a very good job. Miss miss him being my colleague. But very talented kid. I always told him one day I was going to like work for him. He was going to be like a fortune five hundred guy Mark Northwestern Business School kid, I mean, just way above my lead.
Speaker 1: Should we do an hour on Apple TV and MLS right now? How do you think that would be received?
Speaker 2: What is?
Speaker 3: What are the ratings going to be between La Galaxy and New York Red Bulls in the final?
Speaker 1: Not great?
Speaker 2: Do you think less than five hundred thousand people will watch?
Speaker 1: That's probably the number.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, like three, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's probably the number.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: We won't do a lot of MLS today. There are other things going on. Do you real quick? Do you think oursel does anything? I can't? Is it Bogert, Tom Bogert or whatever? Trey of course tweets out everything with RSL Okay, his whole assertion is run it back with the young core. Do you think that's what happens?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you need to find a goalkeeper, you do. It has to be Gavin or you need to sell Gavin overseas and then bring somebody else in. But and find a complimentary center back who doesn't lose his cool every yebour game.
Speaker 1: No spitting at people.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: All right, Trey, You're welcome. There's your two minutes of RSL talk on a Thursday in December when everyone wants to talk football. All right, Chris, you know the tone and tenor of the Utah football program. You're well aware of the storylines. Zero for two on the offensive coordinator front as of now, Jason Beck is a name that's really making a lot of rounds today. I don't know, man, where are you at with it?
Speaker 3: I guess I'll start by saying, the Utah football fan base needs to take a step back and understand where it sits in the landscape of college football.
Speaker 2: And I say that because.
Speaker 3: People that I know have been telling me that they are upset that Utah got outbid or whatever by Texas Tech for an offensive coordinator. We need to break this down, guys. If you're a Utah football fan for the last twenty years, you need to understand that the last twenty years of Utah football compared to the last twenty years of Texas Tech football are basically two polar opposites. Texas Tech football for the last twenty years fifty sixty points a game, allowing forty or fifty points a game, Utah football scoring twenty points a game, allowing thirteen or fourteen points a game. On the whole, it should not come as a surprise that an offensive coordinator from Texas, who played college football in Texas, who is currently an offensive coordinator in the lone star lone star state would want to go be the offensive coordinator at Texas Tech over Utah. Let's let's put that out there, and I can't. I did my homework.
Speaker 1: You always do. You always do.
Speaker 3: Utah's offense top twenty in the country. How many times in the last twenty years has Utah been top twenty over all the other I would say twice, three times, three times two out of those three years.
Speaker 2: Who was the offensive coordinator?
Speaker 1: Andy and Lowick?
Speaker 3: The other one, Urban Meyer, Dan Lan dan Ball Texas Tech. How many times top twenty offense since.
Speaker 1: Two thousand I'm gonna guess twelve, third, eleven, eleven, yep.
Speaker 3: How many thousand yard wide receivers has Utah had in the last twenty years?
Speaker 2: One?
Speaker 3: Three, three, DRez he was the last one, David Reid in two thousand and nine, Paris woar and O four ah. Yes, how many thousand yard receivers have been at Texas Tech since two thousand and four? More than twenty fifteen fifteen so.
Speaker 2: That I know.
Speaker 3: There are so many other data points that we can point to, but that is the start and pretty much end in terms of a conversation of what Utah's thought to be from an offensive standpoint in college football.
Speaker 2: It just is what it is.
Speaker 3: And if you're talking about Texas Tech, yees, Yes, for how many of those years was Mike Leech changing college football? A lot of them, but there are plenty of guys who came after that. We're able to make Texas Tech a top ten to twenty offense.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Utah football fans need to understand where they stand in the landscape of things, and yes, it is an uncomfortable situation that they're in right now between you know, Morgan Scollen Kyle Whittingham. I understand that there's a lot of stuff in play, but man, you lose out to Oklahoma, which is fine, And I don't see losing out to Texas Tech as as a huge indictment on the program. It's just an indictment on what the offense has been at Utah for twenty years. It's just been so up and down.
Speaker 1: Well, and to your point, it's not like, you know, it's not like this is a gentleman. It's like Mac Leftwich is from Draper. I mean, he wants to stay home.
Speaker 4: It's easy to recruit Texas guys if you're in Texas, especially Texas Tech that has historical precedent with being in a tremendously successful offensive program like.
Speaker 1: The Waalen and Nation of Teeth. Today has been a little bit odd. I agree with you this. I said this earlier opening tip. I know you're a fan. This is not an indictment on Utah football and not stunned that a Texas guy wanted to stay in Texas and I'm sure they paid him. Just fine. Do you have any names that you've heard that you think are a natural fit, Like, how do you think this thing ends up?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I know one guy who would have been great. His name's Andy Ludwig.
Speaker 3: Yeah, honestly, like I think I'm so like amongst the things that Kyle and you know, everybody have done in the last twenty years, I know they say that Andy stepped away at his own volition. I have a very hard believing that that was is the most surprising thing that I can remember happening under Kyle's tenures as head coach, happening in the middle of the year when you have a tremendous rash of injuries at the quarterback position. I don't know who's a natural fit. I you know, Jason Beck, who was a backup quarterback I think at BYU for Bronco, Menden Hall, who now is the offensive coordinator for Bronco. Menden Hall, what is a I guess I would turn it on you, Spence and say, what is a natural fit at this point? Because whoever this offensive coordinator will be, I think will be the tenth offensive coordinator that Kyle will have in twenty years.
Speaker 1: That's a lot.
Speaker 2: That's a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I feel like I'm if somebody else has talked about this, or somebody else has written about it. I just simply haven't seen it or heard it. And I know, once you taste the meals on NFL charters, you want to live in that ecosystem. But according to the numbers we saw earlier, Brian Johnson makes six hundred and sixty thousand dollars a year, Coach Love, you're not coming back, period. No coach Love made what two milk close.
Speaker 2: To mil I think I think Andy was at one to eight.
Speaker 1: Okay, so essentially you're still tripling your salary. Yeah, but Jayden Daniels is awesome passing game coordinator, assistant head coach in Washington, and I tend to side with it. Was like the old Alex Jensen is going to take the Utah job. I'm like two the NBA man, Once you're there, you don't want to deal with college at all. And maybe Brian simply does not want to deal with college football at all. Maybe he views his spot with Washington with a great young quarterback as a natural path to maybe being his own head coach at some point. But do you make the phone call? At least do you kick the tires?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I don't know what the how the relationship ended when when he left for I think he left for Mississippi State Corrector and he was the quarterback coach for Dak Prescott. The job, the existence is so much more difficult and draining and taxing now compared to what it was. And you know, for two million dollars, is it worth it to some people?
Speaker 2: Probably?
Speaker 3: Is it worth it to Brian Johnson? Maybe, But you're working for Cliff Kingsbury. You're probably going to get another shot at being an offensive coordinator in the NFL, which is, you know, more prestigious and easier life and job for yourself and your family. In college football, now you are recruiting your own play. You're trying to get your guys to sign a one year contract every single year.
Speaker 2: That is exhausting.
Speaker 3: And I'm not saying, like you know, I'm not knocking it, but that is the reality that you know, these coaches face now. And I don't know, does Brian Johnson want to drop everything? I mean, he's cultivated in the NFL the last few years to come back to call plays for a guy that he knows really well. And yes, you know, Brian was thrust into it at a very young age, and you can probably make an argument that it was too young at the time and he probably had a lot more to learn, But I just it's hard.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Listen, Kyle Whittingham is, you know, a legend, and we can throw throw out all those adjectives that you want. He's are in the statue, He's earned the name of the stadium, whatever you want to give it to him. But the offense has been a thorn in his side and it has been for twenty years. There's a reason why there's going to be ten offensive play callers. I think Kyle is the type of guy that wants everything but also nothing at the same time. And by that, I mean he wants a mobile quarterback. He wants to be able to control the game on the ground. He wants a great offensive line. He wants to be a spread style offense, but not throw it too much. So how are you going to recruit wide receivers who don't get the ball that much to play in a spread offense. It's difficult. And then our guy Porter Spence, you guys are twelve thirteen fourteen personnel guys.
Speaker 1: Oh you know it.
Speaker 3: Utah is going to play with nineteen tight ends. That means you're not going to be able to recruit wide receivers to come play for you. Everything came together for Utah in twenty one and twenty two because they had a great quarterback, they had an impressive running back room, and they had a good defense, and they had before Brancohert, they had two NFL tight ends. Yeah, but now you're basically looking at a total rebuild with a head coach and head coach in waiting. Situation that is up in the air. Quarterback room, you need a starter. Starter's not there. You don't have a running back one. You don't have many wide receivers coming back. Brand Keith he's not coming back.
Speaker 2: I know. I know.
Speaker 3: State run media Utah is going to tell you that the next big guy is already in the room, But you have to see it on the field, man, You just have to see it on the field. College football now, Spence isn't a place where it's like the NFL. The off season is almost more exciting and more like tantalizing than the actual season for a lot of fans because they get so amped up. It's now such a day to day conversation. Whereas it used to be Bowl Gay Men's everyone goes home till spring, till spring ball or off season. You know, lifting, springball happens, it ends, everyone goes home, they come back for summer conditioning, the fall camp starts, so on and so forth. Now it's you know, players are posting utah ANIMI I'm coming back, which is, you know, great for the program, but fans are kind of waiting at baited breath to see who's going to come back basically every single day, which is the anflication of college football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's tough. It's tough, and I don't think the answer under center is in that room right now, unless and less Christopher ye Cam Rising, who decides that you want to come back. So, if we take Kyle at his word what he has said to the media is this is Cameron's choice. What do you think Kyle does if he gets a phone call and Cam says, hey, I got to talk to you and rolls into Coach WIT's office and says, hey, got some ANIL money, so I feel good about it, and I've decided to come back for one more year. What do you think Kyle says? Does he just open the door, like he said he would, it's his choice.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think if you're Kyle and if you're Utah, you have to see how Cam is physically. I mean, obviously, if Cam's going to make that decision, in theory he feels good about where he's at. But that's a big if right now. I mean, the guy has had, you know, a tremendous amount of bad luck injury wise, but he's going to be twenty.
Speaker 2: Six next year. What do what are the other quarterback options?
Speaker 3: Like, if we've learned anything about the last two years, if Cam comes back, it's going to be tremendously difficult to recruit another starting caliber quarterback with it experience to come in and compete with Cam.
Speaker 2: And maybe that's what it is. Maybe that's Kyle's answer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're gonna go out to the portal and we're gonna spend a million dollars on another kid to come in and compete with you.
Speaker 2: And are you okay with that? That's what I think he would say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that's probably the wise course of action because the other thing that's been very obvious despite all of the conversation around the market, that they were better suited this time around should Cameron go down. They weren't. They weren't ready. They weren't ready last year. Brandon Rose got hurt last year. We always have to bring that up. It wasn't just Cam, it was Brandon. But they weren't ready last year, and then they just should have known better that they needed better contingency plans in place should Cameron go down. Because the other thing I didn't buy is well, we coached him differently and he's gonna play No, he's not gonna play differently like the whole like he's gonna play safer last for a game and a half and then suddenly we're talking about the same thing. So even if Cam comes back CK to your point, I do think a veteran QB who has some skin in the game that you're comfortable with also need to be added to the room based off of what we've seen on the field, and.
Speaker 3: Which veteran quarterback who has the established statistical background to prove that he can compete against Caim wants to Does that person even want to come to it. So that's that's the ultimate question, because I think most logical quarterbacks would say Cam will have the inside track. He is beloved in the locker room, beloved by the fan base, beloved by the coaching staff. If I come in, I'm going to have basically everything going against me, So is it worth it? But then you talk about the offensive coordinator higher like, does this new offensive coordinator, whoever he is, does he want to bring a quarterback with him? What type of style of football does he want to play? It's the layers to this are tremendously deep.
Speaker 1: And let's if we operate off the hypothetical that Cameron does decide to come back and Kyle adds a veteran QB via the portal. Does Isaac bounce? Is he gone? Does he leap?
Speaker 3: I mean, like you that you can't. You can't fall any kid for getting into the portal anymore for any reason, because that's the reality of the game now. But I think with with Isaac last year, this is just my opinion. I think a lot of it was maybe over compensating for missing out on Zach. Seeing Zach tear it up at your rival. Go to the NFL, and you have to keep highly recruited quarterbacks happy for as long as you can. So like I think Isaac was their highest recruited quarterback out of high school since like Jack Tuttle like seven years ago. I mean, I'm sure it was neck and neck between he and Brandon rosen Camp. But like, if you believe that Isaac Wilson is the future, like you're gonna give it to the guy who you believe and want to keep happy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that can lead you there. But again you got to see. I mean we talked. We were outside Smiths in like September. It was after the Oklahoma stake. It was amazing.
Speaker 3: I was in shorts and hippie sandals and it was amazing. We had that like cool gold Corona cooler or something we were giving away nicely. And I said, like, Isaac is gonna take his lumps eventually, man, And like I'm not patting myself on the back. You just have to be realistic. College football does not is not run by true freshman quarterbacks. How many true freshman quarterbacks in the last twenty years have we been blown away by that eventually lead Like maybe they get there eventually, like Trevor Lawrence, I guess is like the one that comes to mind.
Speaker 2: I get.
Speaker 3: I don't even know if Tua was. It was a true freshman when he stepped in for Jalen Hurts. But like that was like the end of the season. I'm just saying, man, like Utah has to figure out it's it's quarterback room and needs to figure out it's so see, the running back room to me is like probably one C because like, if you're going to be good, if you're going to be a good Utah offense, you have to have somebody who can rush for a thousand yards. Yeah, and McKay Bernard got there. He was their most most important and best player this year. But there's there was no depth there and they have to be able to cultivate that again.
Speaker 1: All right, last thing, then we'll catch a break. We'll do another segment coming up on the other side. You reference the I don't know, awkward dynamic right now with Kyle and Morgan and coach and coach and waiting. The way I'm reading this, the tea leaves are is I should say, because there's been no announcement, I believe Kyle's coming back. He's a coach under contract. You don't need a press conference when you're a coach under contract. You're just doing your job. Utah Football releases a recruiting video yesterday. There's coach wait at his desk doing the work. Do you read it the same? Do you believe because there has Because Kyle doesn't strike me as a wishy, washy guy, Like if he knew he was done, I think he would tell everybody and just bounce where are you at right now? In that dynamic, I agree with you.
Speaker 3: The one example I would point to is when Nick Saban retired. It came out of nowhere, like in January. And I know Alabama had a playoff run, so I know that's a little different.
Speaker 2: But like.
Speaker 3: I'm just painting a hypothetical here saying this is his train of thought. But if they get through the next few weeks and hire somebody that Kyle is really stoked on, and a guy who can bring in a, you know, a high profile quarterback, maybe that only balloons his desire to come back. If not, if we get to the middle of end of January and they don't have like a quarterback in place and Cam decides to go elsewhere, I mean, it would it would be easy for Kyle to say maybe maybe it's time. Yeah, But again to your point, he doesn't. He doesn't strike me as that type of person, and I know these are the only types of conversations that go on behind closed doors. I will say just one real thing before we take a break. It was odd that he didn't have a press conference yesterday because he usually always has a press conference on signiety. And I know they have to, you know, they were doing the interviews with the OC position, but I think sooner or later it would behoove everybody up there for him or Morgan to get in front of a microphone to explain to people what's going on.
Speaker 1: It's a really good point. Actually, I've been considered considered that because he does do a press conference on signing Day every year. All right, we'll catch you quick break. Want to tell you about my friend. A friend's at Clearwater Distilling. It's the only distillery in Utah County open on Sunday. Is great Spirits tasting room, nicest crew around. They've got their Wednesday Whiskey Batch number two right now. It's a limited release. It's a mix of their bourbon and Rye whiskeys. Try their scandal Us the Renee or the vodka. They are our vip ESPN Tailgate Spirits provider obviously no more tailgates, but definitely check out their spot. It's really cool. You can do a tour and tasting in their Victorian tasting room. Makes for a great date night or a fun activity anytime. Authentic vintage, Prohibition prescriptions and decor ultra premium spirits, many with a unique twist. You can buy their spirits in state liquor stores online, or take a trip to the distillery where you can grab some booze and some local cigars and immerse yourself in the clear Water distilling culture. More information can be found online at Clearwaterdistilling dot com. Their location is five sixty four West seven hundred South in Pleasant Grove, More with CK coming up next right here bout ESPN seven hundred. It's a throwback, just picturing Leonardo DiCaprio running on a beach, shirtless, litten Moby underrated flick, underrated, underrated song. Yes, although isn't he canceled? I thought he was canceled.
Speaker 2: I just remember that Eminem made fun of him back in the day.
Speaker 1: We need John Paul on okay, JP, he's listening, of course, He's next in JP text in you know, actually JP, call in right now. Let's see if he's listening, he'll call in. We're gonna get JP on air to tell us if Moby's canceled, because whenever I have a question about someone being canceled, I asked John Paul and then me second.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, you guys are like my north stars. My favorite text thread is you and Falk because you're the angel on one shoulder and fALS we're here. Falk's the devil on the other side.
Speaker 2: We're here.
Speaker 1: So I'm looking to kind of combine the advice from both of you to see how I need to move forward in my life.
Speaker 2: The truth is always in the middle.
Speaker 1: It is eight seven seven three five three zero seven hundred if JP, if you're listening, call in and let us know if Moby's canceled. All right, Chris COMRADDI live in studio. Let's see last Utah football thing. Then we'll move on. So we had Gordon on earlier asked in this question, I don't know how to phrase it correctly. Here's what I'll Here's how I'll ask it. Are you confident that this season for Utah football was a blip on the radar, a moment in time, or is there a danger that this program might be slipping a little bit.
Speaker 3: I mean, we all spoke about this last off season. We thought there's no way for a second year in a row they could go through the stuff that they did in twenty twenty three injury wise, and they did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they did.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't think.
Speaker 3: Beyond the injuries, I don't think the program is slipping. You can look at their recruiting base off of yesterday. I think they were fifth in the in the big out of sixteen teams, top forty class, top forty class. So they're recruiting well. But I mean it's it's the tale as old as time.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Utah's defense will always be good. They will find diamonds in the rough. Who's their quarterback, who's their play caller, who's their running back? I know I said that a lot last segment, but like it's just it's just the truth, man, Like when you can make an argument even that, like the running back is like one b because Utah, even when they've had rough offenses, the running back and the offensive line have always led them to eight and four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nine and three. Seriously, Like, so.
Speaker 3: I know the I know state run media is going to tell you that the guys on the roster are it. I don't think so. I think they need to go into the portal and spend a lot of money on a quarterback and they need to spend a lot of money on a running back. What is going for them right now is they locked up those two offensive tackles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's big.
Speaker 3: You can make an argument that they're the two best the ore, the two best young tackles in the country playing on the same line, yep, which is huge. I mean a lot of people think those guys are going to be like potential first second day NFL draft picks. So the fact that they're back for one more year is huge for them. Who are they going to be blocking for in the backfield?
Speaker 2: We have to see.
Speaker 1: So we had Matt Brown, who writes the college football newsletter X the Man, Not You're Matt Brown. Matt Brown who writes Extra Points. Nice guy, good interview. It's a good newsletter. Very smart, Yeah, very smart guy. Sometimes you just kind of have to sit back. It's like drinking from a fire hose. Really good with the business of college football, kind of off field stuff. And he flew into Provo to do a piece. It was a really fun piece on BYU fans who tailgate.
Speaker 2: I was jealous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a great story. Ye had a great story, did a good job, and he had a really interesting point about how BYU found their success this year and whether or not that's a model you can continue to use moving forward, because Matt, according to his sources, you know, the nil support the Kilani's getting isn't really dialed in. It's not that uh, you know, it's not why they were able to find success this year.
Speaker 2: They y money.
Speaker 1: It is not Kevin Young money. Shout out to da shout out to my guy Rai as you put my hat on backwards. But you know, his points I think were founded in a lot of evidence, proof of concept. This year a one year success story. But unless they start to get the nil support that his peers are getting, it's hard to believe that what they did this year is sustainable. If does that make sense? What are your thoughts on it.
Speaker 3: I'm of the mind spence that BYU should be a top five funded program for the obvious reason, and I know that the church is never going to pour their own resources into it. But you can make an argument that because the footprint of the Big Twelve is so big, the fact that they go to so many different states and areas and regions in the country. Like there's a reason why BYU fans show out to every Roady game. It's because there's BYU fans all over the everyry and world.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: Like at the Tribune, man like BYU stories were always the most read because it's not only people in Utah, it's people all over the country and world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the world is our campus k enter to learn, go forth to surface.
Speaker 3: So my argument would be it should be very easy for them to be able to have deep resources in NIL for obvious reasons. I don't think that's going to be the case. Matt's point is well taken. They're eventually going to have to get there. They absolutely will, because I don't think you're always gonna get really talented legacy kids to go there. I mean, like the Connor pays those kids. I mean, hopefully they're getting paid, but like you're gonna get those legacy kids whose parents and uncles and brothers played there, But I mean you're gonna need those. Darius Lassiter's the Jake Retzlofs, the Keel and Marion's who's the linebacker Harrison Taggart's like, I know he's a local kid, but like, you're gonna have to get those guys not only to commit and play, but you're gonna have to find a way to retain them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I'm saying. You have to re up everybody every single year, no matter who you are in college football.
Speaker 1: And no matter how much you love BYU. If you're a blue chip prospect making I don't know one hundred K at BYU and you're one of their better players, and another school calls and says we'll offer you four hundred and fifty five hundred K, it doesn't matter how much you love BYU. You're going at some point to follow the money at least a little bit. But I want to echo your sentiment because I said this like day one, when nil kind of became a reality, I felt like this was awesome news for Brigham Young because of all of their alums. I thought some Silicon Slopes bro in a Tesla or a truck would be very very Tesla truck or a Tesla truck, probably a Tesla truck actually would salivate at the option of being like the savior of BYU football financially. And my guy Ray has stepped up for the My guy Ray has stepped up for the basketball. But I thought one of these bros would have stepped up by now. And I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen more financial support.
Speaker 2: It is surprising. And I.
Speaker 3: You can I mean, like the Marriots, man, Like, what are we doing? Like there are so many people who are tied to that. I know what the Marriot Center and get it, but there are so many like high profile business people around the world who have ties to BYU. Man, that's a good question. That's probably something a story I should pursue to be sure with you. I mean, like we're I know, we're we're idea generating on the drive Monday to Friday two to six, But like, why aren't they there yet?
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's a great question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'm not saying it's gonna come from Enzyme Peak advisors. And I know, like LDS people kind of like the LDS Church have a reputation for not necessarily open up their pocketbooks all the time. But you don't need billions of dollars here, you know. I think the support the BYU football needs is well within the means of a lot of alumni that love BYU foot It.
Speaker 3: Would be a drop in the bucket, man, it would be a drop in the bucket. But having lived here for a long time, having worked at the Tribune, it's not exactly an easy group of people to get a hold from from a pr point of view. Sure, yeah, Like I think my buddies who are active members, who are huge BYU fans still to this day, are amazed that sixty minutes got like that those interviews a couple of years ago, because like, they are notoriously very hard to get a hold of. If I were ever to get a hold of them, I would love to ask him this question, because it would be a drop in the bucket.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, there's no doubt about it. All right, let's stay in the space a little bit. We had Gordon on earlier, Gordon monson Solid Tribune, our friend, my friend, your friend, and you know, Gordon wrote a piece about the BYU basketball team back on the road at Providence. And it's not the first time we've heard of f the Mormon's chance from a student section or a fan base directed at Brigham Young. Not the man, well in this case, but the football program. But obviously you're blanketing an entire group of people with an f the Mormon's chance as somebody who is familiar with the religious ethos that dominates the community here and family ties, but not a member yourself. If that's fair to say on air, If that's okay to say on air, how does this land with you? I don't love the one aboutisms, you know, but ultimately it does feel like this is more, I guess, i'll say, societally acceptable than most anti religious chance you would hear.
Speaker 2: Is that fair? Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Why do you think that is?
Speaker 3: I think we are siloed here in this state still from a national perspective, It's so funny like when I was back in California for Thanksgiving, we had everybody was over at my sister's house and there were you know, family friends on my brother in law's side who are over and I met. I met a brother and a sister. The brother works in New York stock bro sisters a lawyer in LA. Brother never hurt like, didn't like Utah is what is it like? Sister loves it. She's like me and my friends go out there every summer, every winter people don't know about it. That to me is like the perfect encapsulation of like how we are viewed here. Some people still kind of like like take a step back and like raise their eyebrows, like.
Speaker 2: What what are you doing?
Speaker 3: Oh, for sure, and other people are like when they come here, they love it. So that's a long winded way of saying I just think a lot of people still hold these unfortunate, very negative, very low hanging fruit stereotypes. And it's unfortunate because it should not be accepted.
Speaker 2: And it's just I know, we're getting into, you know, cultural dichotomies here on.
Speaker 1: The drive Monday through Friday two to six, you know the deal.
Speaker 3: I just think unfortunately, a lot of people nationally who don't know about the state and don't know a lot about the culture here, think it's very easy to pick on.
Speaker 2: For obvious reasons.
Speaker 1: Well, it's well said. And I'll tell you this man from my experience of you know, Pedro Heights, Salt Lake City, Bountiful, eleven year old Spence Check. It's going two thousand miles across the country to move to the northeast where the church, the LDS church footprint in the Northeast has grown, but I'm talking nineteen eighty nine, where there was there are very few members of the church, and my family moves back there, and I was stunned at how we were viewed by my peers in school and their parents. And I just wasn't familiar with the oddities of the culture that people aren't comfortable with as a kid. And I learned that being basically planted in a place where there were like two LDS kids in my school outside of my sister and I, right, And so suddenly I went from Salt Lake City, where we are the majority, to a place where you really felt like a cast off because of the way that people viewed the culture in which you were brought up. But I think there's a way to disagree with certain approaches of the church without being outright abusive with chance like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's like I said, it's low hanging fruit. It's rhetoric that is learned second and third hand. I mean, like, how many of these people who are doing this, even no members of the church, I would guarantee not many. Maybe they they've heard this type of approach to you know, how people treat members of the church through their friends or you know, family members or whatever, and it's just like it's it's it's not acceptable, and it's just it is. It is weird in that like this happens almost every year, whether it's in basketball or football, and it seems to kind of slide under the radar.
Speaker 2: I mean, I can't remember there was a football game.
Speaker 1: It was Oregon. It was organ right, yeah, it was Orgon And and it also kind of fires up the persecution complex portion of the culture. But then you understand why they feel this way, right, And I from my vantage point and the reason I have the main issue with a chant like this, I feel like the culture is comprised of mostly nice people who work hard, family orientated, and care about their communities. Are there members of the LDS Church and certain approaches of the LDS Church that make people uncomfortable? Yeah, it doesn't make it different from other religions if we're being fair. But I just feel like chants like this blanket a culture of mostly very decent people from my experience, even though I'm not actively involved in it like I was as a kid, and I feel like that's what's unfair, just blanketing everybody like that.
Speaker 3: I think it's also, unfortunately a snapshot of where we are as a society and a culture, how it's acceptable, how it's acceptable, and how while we've made strides in so many other places, I think it's just still so easy to fall in love with that mob mentality in a sporting event setting like that, which is unacceptable. But again, it's it's something that needs to be addressed, and I don't know why it necessarily hasn't from the governing bodies of these conferences. I know the Providence ad wrote a tweet or something afterwards, but it is it is something that it's unfortunate that, you know, I mean, some of these.
Speaker 2: Kids on the team aren't even lds. A lot of the kids on the team are What are we doing here?
Speaker 1: Yeah? All right, one more thing here. I'm not going to ask you for a c K scouting breakdown of Cooper, Flagg, Race Bailey. Oh, I'm ready, but I will I will ask yeah. And apparently apparently mister Harper is not excited at the possibility of his Sun playing here. But anyway, neither here nor there, I will ask you this. This might be the worst team we've had here like ever. I really feel that way. Oklahoma City's awesome, but they're lazy, their habits are bad. Defensively, they're a sieve, they don't do anything well, and they're just not going to win a lot of games. How do you think it's landing around town? It feels like, you know, I usually love to cover the NBA, usually love to cover the jazz. My whole life has been around the jazz. But even my friends who are the most diehard jazz fans, this year, they're just kind of like, mew, how do you think it's gonna land around here with a season like this and it's not turning around anytime soon.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, this is a lot of fans wanted this. They wanted to avoid the middle, and this is what you get. And this is not death by a thousand cuts. It's death by a billion cuts throughout a very long season. And if it means it gets you closer to a Cooper flag, that's great. I do maintain my opinion that this should have happened two years ago because the really like ungettable player was the guy who's now wearing that jersey in San Antonio.
Speaker 2: But I just don't I'm with you.
Speaker 3: It's just not a It's not even a topic of conversation anymore. And I don't know what the what the turnout is like. I haven't watched any games this year. I know that some people are up in arms that veterans are playing over young guys, and that some guys are being assigned to.
Speaker 2: The stars and not you know, doing this or that. But this is part of it.
Speaker 3: This is the NBA is set up this way. And if you know you are, you know, diluted enough to not believe that this is part of the growing pants. And I'm sorry, I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 1: Have you ever interviewed my guy Ry?
Speaker 2: I have not, you have not.
Speaker 1: No. I wonder I would be interested in a C. K Ry sit down because I just wonder how this is landing with him. I don't know him well. Our interactions have always been pleasant. He's always been nice to me. But I don't know him. But I from what I've been told, he's a competitive dude who was very eager to add some very good veteran pieces as soon as he possibly could the whole like we're gonna sign Paul George and trade for mckel bridge. This thing. I'm like, dude, like don't say things like that out loud. That was never going to be possible. We always talk about Danny and Justin. I wonder how this is landing with Ryan, because they're far from being even decent.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's a basketball lifer, he's a Jazz lifer.
Speaker 3: I think he I mean, he's a smart enough guy to know that this is part of the growing pains that come with trying to build a contender in the NBA from the ground up. The Jazz fan base has never dealt with this since. I mean I watched the documentary Man. Even those seventy late seventies, early eighties teams had, you know, some star players on that team. Not trying to discount Lowry markin in it all, but like we're in a place now if you're a Jazz fan, that most people have never been before. So and I think he understands that this is just the nature of building in the NBA. I think it's I think it's why the NBA, in my opinion, has fallen kind of out of favor with I think a lot of people in my generation and people younger, because like it's so top heavy and it's just it's just kind of Why would you want to spend money and why would you want to wait so long to have a decent product on the floor when you know that it might not even may not even happen.
Speaker 1: Well, c K, we'll always have college football offseason. Leo ready for Santa.
Speaker 2: Uh, Yeah, I gotta I gotta go grocery shore Christmas shopping.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta do it all right, brother, Good to see you, Okay. The Great Chris Comroonddi from The Athletic