Speaker 1: Morning The following podcasts gramping content and material intended or a mature audience listener discretion. Well, hello there, what's up.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked.
Speaker 1: And Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, welcome back, day after Valentine's Day? Right?
Speaker 1: How was How was everyone's Valentine's? Was it good? Was it fantastic? Was it awesome?
Speaker 2: Was it everything you hoped it would be?
Speaker 1: We ate? Delicious? Food? Oh yeah, it's our love language.
Speaker 2: Food, food, steak, seafood, mashed potatoes, garlic, bread, scallops, no vegetables.
Speaker 1: Potatoes are a vegetable.
Speaker 2: Oh and we had mushrooms actually, and then we drink a lot of wine. It was awesome.
Speaker 1: That's true. That is true. Yes, So what do we have to talk about today? We just passed her one year we were on TV. Oh my gosh, that was a whirlwind of a week.
Speaker 2: That was a wicked week.
Speaker 1: That was one wicked week.
Speaker 2: Holy, I feel like it actually just I don't know, it was almost just like a fantasy world.
Speaker 1: Is this a real I did that last episode.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna do it again, that same song, I think, so, oh boy, is this just fantasy. Yeah, let's just I was singing Ghostbusters before this, so let's keep you.
Speaker 1: You were just jiving. Do you get a call? No, your local authorities? Come on now, yeah, seriously, something strange in your neighborhood and you're gonna call Ghostbusters? No, all the police. This is a true crime podcast. You're about to get murdered.
Speaker 2: You call the police, Call the police in locky dolls.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're off the wall tonight. Sorry guys.
Speaker 2: See Well, honestly, okay, if it wasn't for me, we wouldn't even be having a podcast. Not because I did all the work. You did all the work, well done, but you were like basically ready to go to bed, and I was like, oh we have to like.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, yeah, I almost forgot. It was just because we were like Valentine's Dinner, just chilling eating good food. I was like food coma and ready for bed. So oh, we.
Speaker 2: Watched terrific movie. I was really into it.
Speaker 1: Finally we watched Free Guy.
Speaker 2: Oh I loved it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was a good movie.
Speaker 2: Perfect mix of a movie for you and.
Speaker 1: Me, I think because you like the romantic, happy endings and for me it had Ryan Reynolds.
Speaker 2: If the movie doesn't have a happy ending, why the ship you watch it?
Speaker 1: And if it doesn't have Ryan Reynolds, why the shit are you gonna watch?
Speaker 2: It's so funny that I say that because every podcast we've done basically is not right.
Speaker 1: They're all shitty endings.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the role of True Crime, right, Yeah, is really messed.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's move on tho. Let's drop that there are antics that we're doing here. We gotta go and talk about our patrons because we've got more patrons to thank this week. Are you doing it or am I?
Speaker 2: I don't even have a list.
Speaker 1: So I have a list and I can pass you the list. I'm doing it, aren't.
Speaker 2: I just gonna be like I can and then you go for it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll do it again because you are too chicken. Okay. So our badass patrons that joined us last week over on Patreon, we've got Brooklyn for Rello, Toya Powell, Katie Bachin, I really hope I said that right, Jennifer Cooper, Tammy Johnson, Jennifer Abel abel Or I think it's able. Al yeah, pretty sure it's able. And Jordan Bowden. You guys are all bad ass. Thank you very much for joining us. Nice you have some wicked patrons over there.
Speaker 2: Wow, we're up to one hundred and seven of just wicked people like that is awesome, right, so awesome.
Speaker 1: So if you want to join us over on Patreon, you can find that linked down below and you can join us because why not?
Speaker 2: So yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: Do we have some people we want to thank over on Instagram and of course our Patreon too, who want our giveaway?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah here, let me let me look here.
Speaker 1: Where are We're one who had.
Speaker 2: My phone because it makes weird noises in the mic, so I just like, leave it, leave it away. So yeah, yammy one, I think that's how you're gonna say. Say her name, Yamale's fret over on Instagram Instagram she went fifty dollars towards merch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she.
Speaker 2: Chose a hoodie. I s far. I'm pretty sure I gotta still get that.
Speaker 1: Do you know what hoodie it was that she chose. I'm curious.
Speaker 2: I think it was the wick Ingram banner hoodie.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, pretty sure, I'm sure. Over on Patreon we got Kevin Kyle who there. So thank you guys for entering and you won yourself some dope ass merch.
Speaker 2: Well, are we not going to talk about Kyle wanted?
Speaker 1: What did Kyle want to tell us right now?
Speaker 2: So he wanted a death Head moth long sleeve tea.
Speaker 1: Oh I've been wanting a death headshirt. I know I should get some.
Speaker 2: Super cool good choice is well done.
Speaker 1: Because if we haven't said it before, we actually have to purchase our own merch because it's through Red Bubble. So yeah, it's like we just tell them to print on demand and it's like if we want some, we actually have to purchase it too.
Speaker 2: Which is kind of just like a sweet deal because like we live in a tiny hill and I don't know how do we go about doing that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, storing all this stock would not be a thing.
Speaker 2: For us, So yeah it might have been because that's originally, honestly, how I thought we were going to do it, and that would have just been a disaster.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, there's no way fit in this house. Yeah, okay, So are you ready to move on to this case?
Speaker 2: I am redd at a party.
Speaker 1: To party Party to party PRT Why because I said, so, how does that go again? Oh? No, no, Ali? What that is way off?
Speaker 2: Sorry? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I remember pr P A R T. Why because I gotta it's the mask. Jim Carrey.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, yeah, I was on our level because I got it. There we go, Okay, are we taking a little break kind of because last week was like heavy and a lot of people were just like, wow, wow.
Speaker 1: This one is a lot different than any case we have covered so far. Let me put it that way. Okay, it is a murder, Okay, it is a mystery. Okay, but the amount of information that is known about this case is basically zero. You know, when you go into an exam and it's like or a test or something like that, and they're like, you get like one flash card. You can write a one side the information to go on the exam with you or something. Right, Yeah, picture writing on that little index card, your normal writing size. That's about the information that is known on this case.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's not how I did my index cards.
Speaker 1: I know everyone's writing like super small and shit. But this like, there's hardly anything. So there's there's a lot of debate about this. There's there's not much concrete evidence. So okay, now this is a crazy case though, because there's so much unknown and it is one of Canada's most notorious unsolved cases.
Speaker 2: Oh it's a Canadian case.
Speaker 1: It is. So to all our Canadian friends out there, here's a little bit of our history. And to all those outside of Canada, you about to get learned on a history as well, because I didn't know this, So we're all getting learned on our history today.
Speaker 2: I'm curious.
Speaker 1: I know you probably don't. That's what I'm rolling the dice on. I have you ever heard of the Red Path Mansion murders?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, see, there we go.
Speaker 2: I was hoping that I could say yes, but I can't.
Speaker 1: Well, let's start you off and let's paint a bit of a picture here. The red Paths had it all. They're one of the richest families in Canada, heirs to an impressive sugar fortune. Now, James Redpath was born in seventeen ninety six to a working class what.
Speaker 2: Sorry, can I interrupt red Path? Isn't that like there's still a sugar name?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Holy shit, Okay, that's these people.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, sorry. I just was like, you're like ready to pause because you think I need to break But I'm like, whoa, I've brought in Red Plot Sugar.
Speaker 1: You've what Red Paths Sugar I bought? Yeah, yeah, you have. I'm still a company.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm excited. Sorry, sorry, I I'll stop.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I'm glad I got you. I'm glad you got that to your system.
Speaker 2: It's out of my system. Sure. I was just like, I recognize that, nick yase it's.
Speaker 1: A legit sugar company. So James sorry. John James Redpath was born nineteen seventy six to a working class farm workers in Scotland. Growing up, he would work manual labor jobs and he got a wealth of experience as a stonemason. Now by the time John was twenty, he ended up leaving Scotland in eighteen sixteen with very limited funds to go board a passage on a ship. Boarding that ship, he was now broke and nearly penniless, but he embarked on a journey to his new life in Canada. He got off in Quebec City and then proceeded to walk approximately I didn't write it down, but I think it was around two hundred klometers two and fifty klmeters something like that off the top of my head. But anyways, he walked barefoot from Quebec City to Montreal, Quebec.
Speaker 2: Really, yes, like he lost his shoes on the way there.
Speaker 1: I don't think he had shoes.
Speaker 2: Wow, Holy Okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember looking up the distance between the two, but apparently I didn't type it in.
Speaker 2: This is going to be quite the story.
Speaker 1: Hey, well, it definitely is. There's a rich history here. There's a lot of history in this case if you want to look into the red Path family. I didn't dive too deep in it because this isn't a history of their family case. It's more of like the murder side of it. But we get a little bit of the history here that I'll talk about briefly. So once he was there, he used his skills he learned back in Scotland to land him self employment in the construction industry, where he would work as a stonemason. Within a few years, John was running his own sizeable construction business. Now he was involved in major projects such as the construction of the Lachin Channel. Now, this was a major project where John found immense success where many other contractors before him found only failure. So he was the one who was actually able to get this project complete where no one.
Speaker 2: Else was able to so he's good at what he did.
Speaker 1: Oh, definitely, and this led to more projects and a booming business for them. Oh right on, Yeah, Now, in eighteen fifty four, John would go on to open another business called the Red Path Sugar Company, which is still in business today, like you mentioned, and is a huge player in the sugar manufacturing and distributing a distributing world.
Speaker 2: So that's so interesting and went from that to that, I know, it's quite the leap. Like I really wonder how that transitioned.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm not too sure. Like I said, there's a lot of history. If you want to go down that tunnel, it's there. I just didn't quite bother because it's not something that we're talking about.
Speaker 2: I'm also curious if that sugar sold. I'm sure it is, but probably elsewhere in the world.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sure it's around the world for sure. Yeah, but it's it's definitely like one of the big heavy hitters in Canada. I know that.
Speaker 2: I was just going to go and check actually to see if we hurt covered. But then we pour our sugar into a container, so that's not helpful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, if the sugar bags, no matter what brand you get, they always leak, they do. They it spills out, it could catch on something and gets a little rip, and you got sugar everywhere.
Speaker 2: So I also, I actually feel like if sugar was in like a milk container like that would be amazing and you wouldn't have to put it in another container.
Speaker 1: You're fucking oh but wait, what if you're like, what if you need a cup of sugar, then you have to like pour it in the cup, And what if you go too much and you got to put it back in this like jug container.
Speaker 2: It wouldn't pour too much, though, I don't think it'd be hard.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think just like a tote with like a lid, it's a tote totsgoats, yoats or what about just like a cardboard box with like a plastic liner. May no, not plastic line, but a paper liner.
Speaker 2: I like the milk jug.
Speaker 1: I'm sitting on that milk carton.
Speaker 2: Milk carton, I mean, yeah, okay, I'm sitting on that like a yeah.
Speaker 1: There we go. Well that aside. We're going to now talk a little bit more about John's personal life. Okay, Together, John and his wife Ada had five children, Amy Peter John Reginald dope fucking name for the record, Harold and Jocelyn Clifford. By all reports, the Redpath family were a close family, but generally kept to themselves on a day to day basis. They did not like publicity or seek to be like the talk of the town per se. Personal issues, feelings and moods were never really addressed, and their family problems were never really a topic of conversation behind closed doors, though Amy and her brother were open and warm within the family. Now, Aida had been quite sick for many years. So being that Amy was the oldest of the children and the only daughter, she assumed care of the household, being a little different terms though than what were used to She was responsible for hiring things, hiring maids, and providing things like financial advice to her younger brothers who are now getting into the business ventures themselves.
Speaker 2: The oldest sister.
Speaker 1: Yes, wow, so taking care of the family was a little bit different to them. It was like hiring the maids. It's not like she's getting her brothers and sisters up early in the morning at cooking breakfast. They had maids and servers, and yeah, they had staff to take care of them. But she was taking care of the family and other terms. Right, Okay. Now, while all five of the red Path children helped out their mother, Ada, Peter, Reggie, and Harold were generally too busy to help, and their mother's assistants began to fall heavily on Amy and Clifford, who had a close relationship with their mother. Now, though this is not certain exactly what sort of illness Ada was stricken with, as there was no official diagnosis, it is clear that it was severe. There's a letter from John Redpath, who wrote to his children from New York in eighteen eighty and explained that Aida needed to spend a day recovering from a carriage ride around the park. So she was actually bad enough where just a carriage ride was something she needed to recover from.
Speaker 2: That's really sad, So sad it is she dies soon? What's she dies soon? Here?
Speaker 1: Well, let's get into that, shall we.
Speaker 2: And it was so long ago too, it might not even really known exactly what it was.
Speaker 1: Oh, exactly right. There are some theories though, that she may have been suffering from. Some people think rheumatoid arthritis and others and some others think autoimmune disease, which are like reference to some symptoms that she had with her poor eyesight, pain, neurologia, that sort of stuff, but it's still not known what it was. But again there's no documentation, there's no proof. Pretty much everything surrounding this case is hearsay.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Hey, why is that the.
Speaker 1: Family kept to themselves, said that they did not like publicity, they did not like their aim out there in the limelight. They just behind closed.
Speaker 2: Doors, which honestly, there's nothing wrong with really.
Speaker 1: Well, there's definitely nothing wrong with that, but it definitely gets suspicious here a little later on when certain things occur.
Speaker 2: Okay, I guess, yeah, sometimes when you're quiet you might have something to hide.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: I never thought of that angle, very very true.
Speaker 1: So, being that the Redpath family was one of, if not the wealthiest family in Canada at the time, this meant that they could afford some serious luxuries. And with luxuries, and sorry, with wealth and luxuries comes a mansion. Generally, the red Path Mansion was one of the grandest homes in Montreal's Golden Square Mile. Now, this Golden Square Mile is a nostalgic name given to an urban neighborhood which was developed between I think it was approximately eighteen fifty and around nineteen thirty, and it took it sat at the foot of Mount Royal in the west central section of downtown Montreal, Quebec. Awesome, glorious place.
Speaker 2: Did he google it?
Speaker 1: I did? Actually, it is a place where homes of like many illustrious mansions sat and it was a perfect place to call home for the Red.
Speaker 2: Paths awesome, So I'm gonna have to google it.
Speaker 1: I want to see do it now. Unfortunately, John would pass away before the family mansion was built. He died on June fourth, eighteen eighty four. His cause of death was listed as paralysis, and he was buried in the Redpath family plot and the Mount Royal Cemetery. However, there are some mixed reports to the day he died. Some reports, actually it was far later it was, or sorry, far earlier, it was eighteen sixty nine. Other reports say eighteen seventy. It's a variety of dates and years, so I can't find a concrete one on that. I found several websites, very reputable websites, having mixed years.
Speaker 2: So wow, that's so interesting. I even to have a death date, that's not right, huh.
Speaker 1: It's like I say, nothing is for sure in this case. Wow, it's very very odd and it was very weird to research when I can't come up with any facts or very.
Speaker 2: Little facts of what.
Speaker 1: Sorry it was. The cause of death was listed as paralysis, but again, I'm not too sure if I can even trust that. If I can't, if if the date I'm I'm unsure of, I guarantee you that's going to be unsure as well. Yeah, So so take that with a grain of salt. So it's hard to say which is true, like for any of these. But either way, the family was forced to carry on without John, that we do know now. The new home was built in eighteen eighty six at one zero six' Five Sherbrook, street and the family lived there for many years as part of the city's high. Society and here in their grand, mansion the only thing that was extraordinary about the family was their great. Wealth other than, that they're just a regular, family you, know business going on with their, lives that sort of. Thing but all of that was about to, change because eventually the grand mansion would turn into the location, of LIKE i, said one Of canada's most notorious unsolved. Murders, OKAY i.
Speaker 2: Was waiting for. THIS i was, like who exactly is getting murdered? Here And i'm SURPRISED i haven't heard of.
Speaker 1: This but, okay well buccalo seatbelts because you're about to find out who gets.
Speaker 2: Murdered, well, yeah this is because this is a big NAME i feel like In. Canada So i'm just shocked here That i'm knowing it is.
Speaker 1: A very big name In. Canada and it's LIKE i, said it's one of the most notorious cases out there For. Canadians and it's surprising it's not more in the lime light and.
Speaker 2: Mainstream or that there isn't more. Known, yeah very.
Speaker 1: Odd you'll understand why there's not much. Known you'll get a little more details on how it was capt, hush, Hush i'm.
Speaker 2: Almost scared to.
Speaker 1: Know, Okay, well there's nothing really scary about. It it's just like what the, Fuck, like are you? Serious that's going to be your, response like are you kidding? Me, Okay so, Anyways, so on the summer night Of june, thirteenth nineteen oh, one at approximately six, Pm john And ada's eldest, Son, peter who was thirty one at the, time heard gunshots that rang through the house coming from. Upstairs he ran upstairs to see what was going on and found the noise coming from the locked doors of his mother's. Bedroom he ran the door over and over to break it down and gain, entry and when he gained that, access he found a grizzly. Scene his younger, brother youngest BROTHER i should, Say clifford of twenty, five who had just arrived home minutes, before and their Mother ada lying on the floor into pools of, blood blood and a gun on the floor beside. Them.
Speaker 2: Uh, oh just the two of them in, there, Though.
Speaker 1: Just the two of them in.
Speaker 2: There, Okay so that's not a good, scene definitely.
Speaker 1: Not now that, right there is the majority of facts that we know of this. Case what the? Shit there's a bit, more but that is the majority of the.
Speaker 2: Facts Because i'm like Thinking clifford did, it but it's just the two of them that got. Murdered, Though, hey it's not the whole fam, Correct, okay not that that's not horrific and. Terrible, sorry but.
Speaker 1: Well i'm going to carry on a little bit here before we get into more some, theories and we'll discuss it a little bit. Here, Okay So upon seeing, this any person's reaction would be to call authorities and identify or and, identify like what, Happened you get the scene locked. Down but that's definitely not what happened next, Here no police or authorities were called to the, scene only a corner and from there the corner called an, inquest and the next, day on the, fourteenth a corner's inquest was put into. Place now corner's inquest in quest for anyone who's. Curious it's an inquiry into the circumstances surrounding it. Death the purpose of the inquest is to find out who the deceased person was and how and when and where they. Died and this is all to prove details necessary for their death. Registry, okay so this essentially starts like a mini investigation when an inquest is put into, place not really an investigation on what, happened but an investigation on.
Speaker 2: Who oh they are so, sorry totally get. IT i was just being quiet Because i'm thinking about why the police weren't, Called so my theory might have changed my.
Speaker 1: Head, now, yeah well that's a big. Thing what the fuck why weren't they?
Speaker 2: Called, well if you're running into a, scene like. That there's no way that you wouldn't be freaking out calling nine one one right, Like there's just no. Way so.
Speaker 1: Hold that.
Speaker 2: Thought i'm holding.
Speaker 1: It SO a statement was taken directly From peter during the, inquest AND i have a piece of that statement. Here so he, SAID i saw my, brother the, deceased arriving home at around six. O'clock he seemed ill and was. Tired he went up to the room of my. MOTHER a few seconds, LATER i heard a gunshot from a, firearm followed by two. OTHERS i ran up and broke down the. DOOR i saw my mother lying on the floor and several free from. Her my brother also lying in a pool of, blood a revolver a foot away from, him near his. Hand. Interesting, Interesting, Interesting now even stranger than all, this considering the mysterious circumstances surrounding the two. Death the inquest was opened and closed within forty eight hours of the, shooting and both of their bodies were buried within that forty eight hours as. Well, wow so forty eight hours after the trigger was, pulled the inquest is. Closed the case is closed because literally no investigation took, place and they're buried in the. Cemetery.
Speaker 2: Money money can do some things for, you can.
Speaker 1: It definitely, can definitely. Can. Interesting, so, now the Red paths never discussed the tragic, events either among themselves or. Publicly so what happened To ada And Clifford? Redpath who murdered? Them was it an? Accident? Murder? Suicide and why wouldn't their families want a full? Investigation who? Knows all un answered?
Speaker 2: Questions because, sorry there would still be three of? Them three of the children? Alive? Correct?
Speaker 1: Four?
Speaker 2: Four? Oh they had five? Children five, children, yes, okay so both parents have been deceased in one and the youngest.
Speaker 1: Child, yeah so that leaves four, left, Okay and the only person at home at the time was the oldest, sibling oldest, SON i should, say which Is? Peter?
Speaker 2: Really? OKAY i didn't realize that was the only one.
Speaker 1: Home, Well i'm pretty sure he's the only one. Home. Huh officially, speaking, though we don't have an answer that came from the, inquest the, RECORDS i, mean we do have we do officially have an, ANSWER i should. Say the record states That clifford had an epileptic seizure while holding the revolver and shot his mother in a quote unquote temp while temporary temporarily, insane so having an epileptic, seizure he shot his mother while temporarily. Insane, okay, then once regaining control of, himself stricken by grief on what he had, done turned the revolver towards. Himself that is the official in quest results on what.
Speaker 2: Happened, really that's what they. Determined, yep.
Speaker 1: HUH a biggie with this case is that since there was never a real investigation that had taken, place there's no concrete records of what, happened only newspaper. Accounts LIKE i, said it's it's there's no proof of. Anything and even the newspaper accounts that we are referring to they all contradict themselves, basically so everything is hearsay after.
Speaker 2: This it's just like no one wanted to step on their toes or do anything to like what is the, saying stir the, Mud, no.
Speaker 1: Stir the, mud stir the?
Speaker 2: Mud, Wow like no one wanted to EVEN i don't, know touch, This hey.
Speaker 1: WELL i don't Think, YEAH i, mean how do you even especially if you are going to go and, Investigate, okay let's investigate. This where the Bodies, oh they're. Buried where's the crime? Scene, oh it's cleaned.
Speaker 2: Up but even prior to, though no one wanted anything to do with. It, yeah it's JUST i think it's because the family was maybe so powerful and, wealthy wanted anything to do with.
Speaker 1: This money. Talks money buys pretty much, anything which is frightening to think. ABOUT i, mean look at human. Trafficking money can literally buy a human. Life i'm sure it can buy.
Speaker 2: Silence and because you said they were one of the most wealthiest families In, canada, really, right.
Speaker 1: If not the, Wealthiest, yes there you. Go so who's to, say.
Speaker 2: And the oldest would have had act probably the most access to that. Too potentially the.
Speaker 1: Oldest would be their, daughter which was what's her? Name?
Speaker 2: Okay SO i was thinking the one that was home.
Speaker 1: That would Be. Peter, Okay so the oldest, son but the only one older than him was their only Daughter, amy, Right. Okay So, peter though actually initially claimed that the night of the shooting he heard two, shots but then later went on to change his story to say three.
Speaker 2: Shots, really and you would, REMEMBER i feel.
Speaker 1: WELL a lot of stuff is very inconsistent with this. Case even when talking to. Witnesses he also claimed that one revolver was found of the, scene but a doctor testified later that there were actually, two which suggests an accomplice or potentially even an. Intruder.
Speaker 2: Huh ALL i want to keep saying is.
Speaker 1: Interesting so this is literally like the game what's that like, clue like who did it in the murder? Mystery, well, no that that's literally just a type of game that's like saying video, GAME i don't, know clue the board game where it's like who did it in the like who did the? Murder like Colonel Colonel mustard did? It or killed so and so in the library with the lead.
Speaker 2: Pipe it's it's been so long SINCE i played that.
Speaker 1: GAME i think it's like it's like that you just there's so much to put together and you're just randomly saying this half the time because you don't know unless you're really good at the. GAME i never was. Anyways but one of the doctors actually who arrived at the scene claimed That clifford had foam in his, mouth which could, potentially you, know coincide with the.
Speaker 2: Seizure, okay OR i was going to, say couldn't that be like strangling? Too, WELL i guess you'd see it on the neck, Though BUT i.
Speaker 1: Mean there was no real investigation for, that so foam with mouth would be. Obvious maybe not redness at the neck or something might not be who. Knows but the family physician testified That clifford may have shot his, mother you, know LIKE i. Said but the thing, is there's no medical history or family records suggesting That clifford ever suffered from. Epilepsy seizures, was as far as records, go not a thing for. Him so if it was, seizures it's not, known.
Speaker 2: And especially to have one to that degree but then have had nothing prior.
Speaker 1: To you, know oh, Yeah AND i mean like a seizure to the degree of insanity.
Speaker 2: Where you're shooting your.
Speaker 1: Mind that's. CRAZY i could, See, okay maybe you're holding the gun and if you have a seizure and your muscles tense up or something and you pull the trigger and you're like kind of seizing and, convulsing and you accidentally pull the trigger and once your muscles start, relaxing then you're stricken or. Whatever but a seizure to the point of, Insanity i've never heard of that.
Speaker 2: Before, well and why was he holding a gun, too, right, right like, yeah.
Speaker 1: So especially moments after getting, home like his brother. Suggested, now some theorized that it could have been quote unquote mercy killing As ada was bedridden with her illness and suffered with them for a long, time so putting her out of her misery was a last resort and an attempt to help her or free. Her, now as For, clifford maybe he couldn't live with the fact that he shot his, mom no matter the intention or the will goodwill behind. It maybe he just couldn't stand seeing his mom like, that thought Like i'm putting her out of her, misery and then afterwards he couldn't regretted it LIKE i couldn't live with, it and pulled entering the gun on.
Speaker 2: Himself which does make sense for the coming home right, away because, say if she had asked for, that or was the plan or, whatever he maybe you just come home and do it really quick or. Whatever, Right, maybe so that part kind of makes sense with the just getting home and doing. It but but.
Speaker 1: Then why would she ask the youngest son to do? It wouldn't you ask the oldest to do that to bear that?
Speaker 2: Responsibility, well not, necessarily we don't know their personalities and stuff right, now we don't she thought that it would affect him less or.
Speaker 1: Something, yeah but we do know that the mother had a good relationship With, clifford, Right clifford was one of the ones who was closest.
Speaker 2: With her and the. Daughter, yes.
Speaker 1: Huh now another theory talks about something a little more, terrifying, though that loved one trying to end their mother's pain, is you, know not quite as bad as. This peter later claimed that his Brother clifford was a homosexual and that he may have intended to tell his mother that night and it could potentially have been a coming out gone. Wrong, now think of, it think of it this, way a high class family in like late eighteen hundreds having a gay. Son that would not be something that a wealthy family would stand. For i'm SURE i can imagine the only thing that they would. Like think towards that that it's like soiling their name and that an argument could ensue and you, know name, calling hatred being thrown back and, forth potentially even revenge being thrown into the.
Speaker 2: Mix, well were they a religious family, TOO i, wonder, right because then that would make it even.
Speaker 1: Worse i'm not too certain if they were, religious BUT i do know that religion was a lot more prominent in that, time especially well especially considering today's. Age but, yeah ALL i know is that this is a fucking mind twisting brain. Fucker if that's a, SENTENCE i don't, know but that's what it.
Speaker 2: IS i don't THINK i don't believe that.
Speaker 1: Theory, No, okay, well BEFORE i go, on what's your?
Speaker 2: THEORY i think that what the frick's his? Name the oldest, Son, Peter. PETER i Think peter did. IT i Think peter's an.
Speaker 1: ASSHOLE i Think peter did it. Too i've got a Theory i'm going to cover here at the. End i've got one more Theory i'm going to talk about first before we go.
Speaker 2: There BUT i have to finish off That peter. THEORY i think it's because he's an asshole and maybe had some sort of jealousy or something towards the relationship That clifford had with his. Mother, potentially it's kind of my.
Speaker 1: Thought, Okay So i'll cover this one first and we'll touch on. That family rumors also suggested That clifford had an affair with one of the family's maids. Now even though affairs at this time were rather normal for the, ERA i should say an affair could have done much in the same to the family name as a potential gay son perhaps could. Do And ada was going to let her son drag the family name through the mud in this scenario as, well sparking a, similar similar argument and similar. Outcome so there's that. THEORY i still don't.
Speaker 2: Even see how that would be the outcome of the Mat the mom was outrage like, what so she Kills, clifford and then what kills?
Speaker 1: Herself like, no they, argued And clifford shoots her.
Speaker 2: Oh and then shoots.
Speaker 1: Himself, yes but that one still doesn't make sense to, me especially, because LIKE i just, said affairs are not an uncommon thing at this. Time would that really be an, issue especially for a family with, money being, like, oh let's just pay her, off.
Speaker 2: Pay out the maid or something, else.
Speaker 1: Or even still your word against. Ours it was very frequent, that you, know higher powered families would just toss loved, ones not loved, ones but toss affairs aside because of power being, involved being like you're nothing compared to.
Speaker 2: Us Poor. CLIFFORD i feel like his name just being dragged to the mud.
Speaker 1: Here, WELL i mean that's very good potential of.
Speaker 2: THAT i guess for some, REASON i feel LIKE i like, him you Like. CLIFFORD i have absolutely no information about, him BUT i just get the sense THAT i like him for some weird.
Speaker 1: Reason, well maybe he's a good.
Speaker 2: Guy i'm being biased.
Speaker 1: Here the problem is we don't. Know he might have been a good. Guy he might have been the.
Speaker 2: Protagonist he could have been a super, asshole.
Speaker 1: He could be the. Antagonist we don't. Know there's no. Result we're never going to know the result of. This that's the. Problem there's no, information there will never be. Information it's just that's.
Speaker 2: IT i can't believe that they're that high up there of status and that no one knows, anything and just mind, blowing mind.
Speaker 1: Blowing, WELL i do agree with, you, THOUGH i do Think peter was. Responsible so this is WHAT i. Think i've done a little bit of digging around theories surrounding him and motives and because of families, secrecy alongside the fact that they were essentially no investigations in the death or. Anything but everything around that is like, literally LIKE i, said pure speculation with no. Evidence so my theory my personal, theory WHAT i think is That peter was upset with his brother and mother for. Something WHAT i, mean my guess is. Money money does crazy things to, people and the family business is where they all held their. Pride, now Perhaps, clifford being the youngest sibling and closest with the, mother was getting special attention From. Aida she could have been giving him more, money or leaving him in charge of the business or, ventures or potentially even. WILLS i don't, know but whatever it, IS i Think peter thought it was irresponsible and he thought, him being the oldest, son should be the one should be getting, this whether it be in the, will being more in charge of, business or maybe it's even the attention From. Aida either, WAY i Think peter wanted control of The Red paths, estate or at least more of. It he didn't like what his mother was, doing and he didn't like the attention his baby brother was. Getting Perhaps clifford was, gay maybe who, Knows maybe that was enough of a reason for him to kill his own brother in cold. Blood but In peter's, eyes these two were holding him and his family business, back and so they had to. Go so he took matters into his own hands and ensured that they were out of the. Picture that's WHAT i. Think. HMM i hate.
Speaker 2: THAT i literally just hate all of that because who cares if you're the oldest? Sibling in my, opinion like who? Cares you have to like earn, That oh, YEAH i one hundred percent have to earn if you're taking care of the business or and just being oldest does not always make you like the smartest or anything like like who cares that you're the? Oldest?
Speaker 1: Yeah, NO i completely agree with, you like, one but if you look at like the old school way of.
Speaker 2: Thinking the old school, way, yeah.
Speaker 1: The oldest, son you, know look at that if you're the oldest son in, Royalty, yeah you're like you're the next in line to be king your, prience. Right. Yeah it's just it's how it was so for a family of such high status like, that the oldest son is going to do what take over the. Business he's next in. Line SO i Think peter had that mentality Of i'm next in. Line why Is clifford getting the? Attention why Is mom giving him the? Attention it should be?
Speaker 2: Me and meanwhile they're probably just bonding or he's probably taking care of her some. Shit so it's just, like for love Of, GOD i don't love this story at, all AND i really wish there was more information.
Speaker 1: There LIKE i, said we're strapped for. Information this is.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 1: Wow so what do you, Think, like do you agree with my thoughts On peter?
Speaker 2: THERE i, do, Yes LIKE i THINK i definitely think that it was Not. CLIFFORD i JUST i don't know for some, reason it's just not settling with. Me AND i do think it was, him AND i think there was definitely like some jealousy going on, there and especially if he made it so that he was like the only one home kind of thing. Too write like he was probably thinking this. Through he's being very strategic with, it and then HE i don't, know he must have used money or his power or something to do. More because the fact that this was not looked investigated is just nuts, fucked it's.
Speaker 1: Nuts it's absolutely. Insane so whatever the, case, though the truth and what really happened will probably it won't ever be. Known the story of what happened was quite literally buried With clifford And ada within forty eight. Hours the mansion itself actually sat empty since nineteen eighty, six and was hardly standing on its own even in more recent, years until it was actually demolished in nineteen Or march nineteenth of twenty. Fourteen what the. Heck, yeah the property owner just kind of let it wrought.
Speaker 2: Away i'm so surprised by. That, yeah that they could have made that.
Speaker 1: Into there were some people trying to save the, building but it was just it was not taken care. Of it was, dilapidated it was it was. Garbage, yeah the building owner just let it rot.
Speaker 2: Because it'd be really interesting to visit that. Nowadays but then also two people to get murdered in. There so, yeah not the great of the greatest of. Histories.
Speaker 1: Huh so that is the case of The Red Path mansion.
Speaker 2: MURDERS i would be so intrigued too to know, if, like if the dad had survived or still, lived if something like this could even have, happened you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah that's. True it's hard to. Say maybe he would have been on that hit list, too because maybe someone, thinks you, KNOW i got to get through him to be the one who has controlled the.
Speaker 2: Estate oh, wow h.
Speaker 1: Hm so it could have been even more gruesome.
Speaker 2: Then and then This peter guy just went on his way and still made. Sugar and, yeah blah blah, blah and The Red Path Sugar company is still selling sugar.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 2: INTERESTING i don't know If i'm ever gonna look At Red Path sugar again the same.
Speaker 1: Way just it's kind of a funny little way to look at. It Red path just to me is like a path painted in.
Speaker 2: Blood, YEAH i hate, that thanks a. LOT i already went, there AND i just don't love. This what's the other kind of sugar? Brands i'm gonna buy the other.
Speaker 1: Just going right for someone else because you can't even think of it, Now.
Speaker 2: Oh my, goodness huh, wow what a.
Speaker 1: Story, Yeah and and to be, Fair i'm sure that The Red Path Sugar company is a very well built. Company it's not. Fine i'm sure they're not like they're actually built on a blood path or. Anything i'm just the one person just wanted to get in that business and had potentially had to get into the business and needed to do what they needed to.
Speaker 2: Do so, yeah it does have it does have a VERY i don't even know the word, here but unsettling. History oh, Yeah.
Speaker 1: SO i want everyone out there, listening hit us up on social, media let us know what you think, happened because this is a weird. Case this is a weird episode because of the lack of, Information SO i want to hear your.
Speaker 2: THEORIES i mean, really the main theories are it's Like clifford or It's, peter, RIGHT i.
Speaker 1: Mean the main. Ones, yeah there are potential thoughts of you, know being intruders Or i'm sure the hired hit, men like it's the list literally goes, On, YEAH i. Could there's no evidence to suggest, anything so anything is just a.
Speaker 2: Theory, Okay Well i'm gonna get off here and go look at this match BECAUSE i want to see what looks all.
Speaker 1: Right, well thanks for, listening, guys don't get to hit. Up our social media is down. Below that's where you can let us know what your theory is in this. Case Our patreon link below as, well and the footnotes of this. Show you've got Arch, yeah you got it. All we're out.
Speaker 2: There we're out, there so thanks for. Listening you guys are.
Speaker 1: Awesome, yeah we appreciate you being. Here and as of, course as, always.
Speaker 2: Until next, episode stay.
Speaker 1: Wicked