Speaker 1: Andy.
Speaker 2: You know what that music says, Yes, Sir, Amos, that music say good health to all.
Speaker 1: From rex All.
Speaker 3: The Amos and Andy Show, written by Joe Connolly, Bob Moser and Bob Ross, featuring Ernestine Wade, Johnny Lee, Amanda Randolph, Roy, Glenn Corney, Anderson, Zelda Cleaver, Jeff Alexander's Music Yours, Trulie Harlow Wilcox and starring Radios all time favorites Freeman Gosden and Charles Carrall. Amos, Brandy, how do you do, ladies and gentlemen, This is Freeman Gosden. You know, now's the time of the year when people give a lot of thought to choosing the right kind of vitamin product. And that's why I want to remind you of rex All Pleniment. Plenemens are rex All's popular multi vitamin capsules and they're just about the finest, best balanced vitamin formula you can buy. I am speaking from experience when I tell you will be glad you changed to Plenemens. That's p L E N A M I N S Plenemens.
Speaker 1: They're at every rex All drugstore. Well.
Speaker 3: In the past week, the subject of romance came up twice at the home of George Kingfish Stephens and his wife's Sapphire. The first time was after supper last Wednesday night. George and Sapphire hadn't been out of the house in over a month, and when Sapphire came into the living room and found the Kingfish with his nose in the paper, she decided to do a little hinting when you'll be.
Speaker 1: Your d thing?
Speaker 4: Are you d.
Speaker 1: Jesus holy mackerel, What in the world was that, George? I was singing, singing, I ain't here screeching like that since I was over the zoo and the moose sat down on the porcupine, George, I was only hint, Well, the next time you will hint hint on key can get back to the news busy, Oh.
Speaker 4: Where's the paper, George's You ever watched the Young Wilson's that lives across the hall. Yeah, I noticed, Well every night mister Wilson takes Ms Wilson out dancing, or he takes Ms. Wilson to the movies, or he takes Ms. Wilson out to dinner. Why don't you do something like that?
Speaker 1: Well, I would, honey, but mister Wilson might punch me in the noise.
Speaker 4: George Stevens, we is both married to the wrong person.
Speaker 5: I am the romantic type.
Speaker 4: And you as the tight that stays home at your nose in the newspaper.
Speaker 1: Well, I admits that I know Peter lawful.
Speaker 4: But what you mean, George, You just don't understand me.
Speaker 1: I want to be gay and vivacious. I want to live.
Speaker 4: I want romance, Oh, Judge, I want to run through the night with the wind and the rain in my head.
Speaker 1: Well, you go ahead. When you get back, I'll be waiting here with a hot water bottle and some fluff.
Speaker 3: And the second time last week that romance entered the apartment of George and Sapphire was when Herbert Jackson, a magazine solicitor, rang the Stevens doorbell.
Speaker 6: Hm, I guess there's nobody home. Well, I'll just slip the sample copy under the door. Eh, there we are one copy of Forbidden Romances.
Speaker 2: Hi, Kingfish, What you're doing down here the large halls of early Well then there.
Speaker 1: Let me lock the door here. Now, look Anna, what I've done. Well, I won't tell you. Look what I have found up to the apartment. Look at that magazine. Huh there, look at that forbidden romances. I think at your age, I was more the popular mechanics type. Oh, I found this your magazine on the living room floor. Don't you see what at me? In supphire has been reading this stuff? Well, there ain't nothing wrong with that, just a lot of gushy nonsense, I know, any but it's the implication of the thing. She reading love stories. And after all, you don't buy a road map unless you go in someplace. And the last night she was hollering about how she needs romance, that thinking, and look at that and kind of stuff she'd been reading, looking at their Look right there, I found my heart on a two weeks cruise. Let's see here, say here.
Speaker 2: Hernandos stood close to me on the deck Westbourne, words of romance into my ear as we watched the shimmering moonlight dancing on the foamy wake of our cruise ship. The soft tropical moon had a strange odor about it, that's all a food.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I could feel my heart beat above the throbbing of the engines. Suddenly I felt Hernando's arms steal around my shoulders. With a gasp, I pulled myself from his embrace and ran from the deck to my cabin.
Speaker 1: Well, there ain't nothing there, Kingfish. You don't run away from the fella. Yeah, no, any but look over on the next piece. There's back on the poop deck again, look at it.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think Sapphire gonna be indrested in no other man, And hurry saying, no other man gonna be interrested in Sapphire.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know. And you know how it is with furniture. Some fellas go in fantiqs. Happhire might be just moldy enough to appeal to some of them. Boy, yeah, but this is silly, King Fridge, after all, Sapphire's got you. Well, then I can't pin too much hopes on, Dad. I done took stock of myself this morning, you did? Yeah? When I got up this morning, I took a long look at myself in the mirror, I tell you, Andy, with my skin to pay and my bloodshot eyes, and with my sagon garws and that water on my Adam's apple, I realized that I wasn't exactly no ding dong daddy from douma sign yea. Well, what you're gonna do about the situation? King Pridge. But then I got to do something with south Fire. Reading these magazines, you never know what this can lead to. If it's romance, he's after I gonna bring roommans into a life. I gonna be gay, I gonna beat charming. I gonna be the romantic site the self I'm looking for you. Oh yeah, and it's a new deal from yeah En, I gonna shower her with affection. I gon shower her with love, and understand it, I gon shower her with romance. Yeah, well, you better go ease you that kingfish. You're gonna end up with a water logged wife. Good evening.
Speaker 2: This is your rex All Family druggist speaking to you for the ten thousand independent druggists who have made the word rex Al part of our own store names. We've done that because we recommend and sell the two thousand or more drug products made by the rex Al Drug Company. Rex All Plenements are a good example. These popular multi vitamin capsules give you eleven important vitamins, including red vitamin B twelve plus liver concentrate and iron. Yet clenements cost only pennies per day. Tryplenemens p L E N A n I n s plenimens. They're at Rexel drug stars everywhere.
Speaker 1: Come on, boys, walk with me down to my apartment. Show Kingfish. He sure has doll up there, new suit, flower in your buttonhole, and that nice book here flowers you can down. Yeah, you show smell fragrance too, Kingfish, Well, tell you else. I was shaved. I had to barber to put everything in the shop on me. I tell you, boys, I got sents on me that won't come to the surface for deers. King Fee, says Safire, looking for romance. He sure looks the part, all right. Oh yeah, boys, uh, I've been reading all the love stuff out of Food Forbidden Romance, learning how to beat the romantic type. I tell you, I walk in there like Hernando and threw roommance at her from seven different directions. Just what you're gonna do, King Well, I gonna open the front door right quick and go down on one knee and hold out the flowers and say lovely flowers for a lovely lady. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I see them do that in the ballet once. Then after that, the gal took a sniff of the roses. Then the fella took a sniff of the roses. Next thing I know, the gal jumped twenty feet in the air and he started whirling around. I always wondered what they put in them roses.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think these twelve quarter roses is the jumping kind. Well, here's your apartment, King fees, and good luck to you with you we saphire. Yeah, I really hope she'll sweep her off her feet. Well, thank you for thank you very much to you letter. Oh well, just do vergbon love romance show spell her the everywhere. Hmm, here's somebody in the living room, sapphires in there, Well, here go it. Lovely flowers for lovely lady. Well, this is a fine condition for you to come crawling home in Mama, Mama, is you? Where's my sweet dinner? Romantic wife?
Speaker 7: She's in the kitchen, clean the fish.
Speaker 1: Well, well, come on, get up on your feet. You want to leave there all evening? Oh, Mama, my back, my back, my rheumatills them.
Speaker 8: I can't move, sad man, come on out here and help me, old great Man's that pop this saddle again?
Speaker 1: Well, lovely dinner, my love. May I see that you never look more radiant and beautiful than you does? Tonight, George, your foods getting cold past the fish. Jarge here, mama, honey, we'll make this our night, and after this charming dinner, we'll go dancing dancing like two young lovers.
Speaker 7: Potatoes please here.
Speaker 1: Here's Mama Southard. Tonight it'll be like two gay spirits waltzing in the wonderland of romance. Why we'll dance till dawn on a pink cloud, on a pink cloud of horse Radish, Grandma, will you be good enough to close your big fires while I being romantic here?
Speaker 4: Mama, don't pay no attention to George. You go ahead and finish your dinner.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm gonna finish my dinner too, But while I eat here, I gonna close my ears to these harsh words. Why do you better close your mouth too?
Speaker 8: You're spilling gravely all over your vest.
Speaker 1: Well, what a beautiful and perfect evening there dancing with you again, my darling, Jorish.
Speaker 4: Don't you think me a little too old for this type of music?
Speaker 1: Or not? A honey? This is the music of romance. Someber one two three, some one two three the one two three one two, Oh all my back, Oh my back. I don't slip my desk again. Help hell.
Speaker 2: Now, I'll just sit there in that comfortable chair, King Vision, and take it easy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, let me sit chill easy. Yeah. I got out of bed about an hour ago and I managed to hobble down here to the large horse. Yeah. So that romantic evening didn't go off too well? Uh no, And the three of the winners carried me out of the night club on the tablecloth, and I come home in the backseat of a taxi cab double up like a jack knife. And I wound up spending the moon and channing part of the evening with a chiropractice. Oh in in my back? Or this this yet? Oh? The back is really bothering you? Oh yeah, Now, look Anna, there's nearly lunch time. Here, give me a hand here, kind of help me back to my apartment, will you. Yeah, I'll do that.
Speaker 2: Well, Kingfish, I guess you just ain't the romantic type like hernandoist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no sense to me trying to please SPI. Yes, Sfire gonna have to go through life getting the romance of the magazine's like forbidden romances. But in spite of that, I know she gonna stick with me. Well, Kingfish.
Speaker 2: Then you convinced Sapphire that she ain't looking for no Hernando like the gall on the cruise ship.
Speaker 1: Is that it?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: And when you gets to be Suphire's age, your poop deck days is over.
Speaker 4: Boy, Well won't you sit down, mister Jackson?
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry I didn't get that sample copy of your magazine.
Speaker 6: No, that's funny. I slid it under your door yesterday.
Speaker 8: But no.
Speaker 4: Man, Well, mister Jackson, I don't think i'd be arrested in a magazine like Forbidden Romances.
Speaker 6: After all, Missus Stevens, I would appreciate you listening to me. I have a wife and two children. Oh I see, Missus Stevens, it's a wonderful magazine. I just can't sell you highly enough on our magazine for Bidden Romances. And with our introductory offer, you're getting this wonderful magazine for the entire year for only two dollars and a half. Missus Stevens, I.
Speaker 1: Tell you thank Heanna for helping me up the back way here. Yeah, these backsteps is easy. In the front way, eh, just get through the kitchen here. Just let you pass up this wonderful Hey, wait a minute, wait a minute. Sounded like sofire talking to somebody in the living room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sound like a man's voice too. Yeah, crack the door and see who it is. Probably just a bill collector.
Speaker 6: But how can you turn me down? Think of what I'm offering you love, romance, adventure.
Speaker 2: If that's a bill collector, Hernando must be working for the gas company.
Speaker 1: Hannah, listen to this love talk. You give it a should he?
Speaker 4: Well, it does sound interesting, My dear lady.
Speaker 6: You look like a woman who wants to rise above the humdrum. Think what I'm offering you a chance to sail into the blue, a chance to rise into the clouds, a chance to fly far above the commonplace.
Speaker 2: Sound like he trying to talk her and to run away in the airplane.
Speaker 1: Well, you do make it sound interesting, and listen to it, and they can on like the barrel.
Speaker 6: Look at it, lady, I implore you don't turn down this wonderful opportunity. A chance to follow in the footsteps of the young and heart, a chance to tread the pathways of happiness.
Speaker 1: Now it sounds like you're going to settle for a walk in the park.
Speaker 4: Well, you're very, very persuasive, but let me think it over. Why don't you come back tomorrow?
Speaker 6: Well, very well, missus Stevens. But I know what her answer is going to be.
Speaker 1: Pretty sure of herself. Eddy. That doesn't, that doesn't. I was leaving that woman for good. Yeah, but she didn't say she was going to ab scondrel off with him. Well, I don't care. And my own wife sitting there listening to a lot of mush talk like that, we are, Sue Andy. She was looking for romance after all. Oh but Kingfie, nothing doing and nothing doing. I was leaving that woman and taking my slip disc with me. Help me, Andy, help me lip out of her life. I'll give me an.
Speaker 3: Now here's a lady with a question for our rex All family druggist.
Speaker 5: So often lately I've heard friends of mine mention that they've switched to rex Al Asprynton. Is there any particular reason why.
Speaker 2: Well, ma'am, i'd say they've discovered there's no directing aspirin made. I mean, how quickly the ingredient that binds the aspirin together in tablet farm will break.
Speaker 5: Up and let the aspirin do its job exactly.
Speaker 2: That's why rex Al scientists developed a binding ingredient so low in moisture content, it begins to break up the very second it touches water. This means that when swallowed with water, the five full grains of pure aspirin and every rex al tablet are ready to go to work for you even before they reach your stomach.
Speaker 5: No wonder, my friends are switching to rex al.
Speaker 2: Aspirin, and no wonder, ten thousand family druggers tell you can depend on any drug product that bears the name rex Al.
Speaker 1: Well, King Fish, has been two weeks since you left Zapphare, I know what EN's you never going back to a no sand and no sighs not. I'm never going back to that woman. Let her fine room manes if you want to. That's why I was going in here to see how gonequin Jay Calhoun. I gonna change my will? Oh I can't change it. I gonna cut her off all together. Yeah, you're gonna unbneficiar the gal huh, come on, let's get on in here, Okay? Well, Hi that Calhoun? Hello Calhoun? Hey Calhoun? Is your business? Is our business? How did you come in here and ask me? Is our business?
Speaker 8: A man who is sought out by the biggest businessman in this city, a man who is consulted by some of the biggest political leaders in this community, a man who's influential friends number in the hundred. With all them connections, you think i'd be doing something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Calhoun, the Kingfish want to see you about something important.
Speaker 1: Shure, what's up? King Now Calhoun, I gonna lay it right before you here, boy, Calhoun, listen to this. I has done left my wife and well, uh, I has got some worldly possessions, and what I want is can I change my will and leave everything to myself? Well, now that can be a rain good. So you're done left south Fire.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 5: Look, don't you miss her after twenty two years?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, to tell you the truth, Fia has been pretty lonesome in the past few weeks. I just gotta get out doing, make some new friends and get some new interests. That's what I gotta do.
Speaker 8: Well, for a fellow like you, Kingfish, the best way to make new friends is to one of them.
Speaker 1: Get acquainted clubs. Yeah, yeah, you done hit on something there, get acquainted clubs. Does you know any good ones, Calhoun?
Speaker 8: Well, yeah, there's a very high tight club that's run by mincing mister Thorndyke.
Speaker 1: It's over on the Parkway. Oh yeah, I don't hear about that one. It's real high class. Yeah, you gotta be interviewed and everythink. Yeah, that's what I gonna do. I going over to that thorn Dyke, get acquainted club. I'll make a new life for myself. Yeah, that's the thing to do, alright, Kingfish. You know Calhoun and you who was lucky never getting in these domestic squabbles. How come you never got married? Yeah? Call didn't you never have no gallant nothing?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, boys, I had a girl one that is years ago.
Speaker 1: Years ago.
Speaker 8: Oh, I tell you, boys, I watched the grounds she walked on. I wasn't to ask you breathe. I worn't the very something that shone.
Speaker 1: Down on him. That was then? How come you never married her?
Speaker 8: I couldn't stand her.
Speaker 1: Well, it's been two weeks since he walked out on you.
Speaker 4: Oh mama, why would he have done a thing like this? We should have known something was going on the way he was acting, bringing your flowers, take can of your dancing.
Speaker 1: I should have known something was in the will. What do you mean, mama? Well, I never told you this, But now that's how it started with your father.
Speaker 4: He came home from the office one night and kissed me.
Speaker 1: For the first time in twenty years. Next morning, when I went out to start the car, the motor blew up. Oh Mama, what am I gonna do?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: Daughter, you just can't sit around here and mope. You has got to make new friends and new companions. Now I've been thinking it over. Daughter. I'm very serious.
Speaker 4: You is going to enroll in the thorn Dyke Get Acquainted Club.
Speaker 5: But Mama, I can't do.
Speaker 4: Nothing like that.
Speaker 1: Why, yes you can, Yes you can, daughter.
Speaker 7: Well, I tell you we'll both go down there and enroll.
Speaker 1: It'll be a wonderful thing for you. Daughter.
Speaker 8: You've been married to old Baldy for twenty.
Speaker 9: Two years before this time time you met some human beings.
Speaker 1: Well, Manna, this is to get acquainted club, they say the ways here missus thorn dag go interview men in a minute. Nice for you to come down here and give me the mortal support. Oh, don't mention it, don't messure it. I Oh, here comes somebody. Well, how do you do.
Speaker 9: I'm mister Thorndyke. You wish to see me about joining our get acquainted club.
Speaker 2: Well, just this other judgment here is I don't need no club. I does most of my getting a quainted in front of the drug store.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ours the one that would like to get acquainted? Ure.
Speaker 9: Oh I understand you mean a member of the opposite sex.
Speaker 1: Well, well I want to see I want to get acquainted. But then I don't I mean that is well, mister Stevens. Ours is a social club.
Speaker 9: It's our practice to introduce people with compatible interests. For interest, for instance, we might start off by introducing you to some of our male members, men who have the same cultural tastes and ideas as you had.
Speaker 2: Well, now wait a minute, mster, you got him wrong. He didn't come down here to meet no bums.
Speaker 1: Don't pay no attention to my friend here, Melissa.
Speaker 9: Well, we'll be glad to help you, but first you'll have to be thoroughly interviewed before you can qualify as a member.
Speaker 1: I does huh? Yes.
Speaker 9: Well, for instance, if a new member is interested in marriage, he must be interviewed by our psychiatrists, and after several days of intense study, we picked from among our members one whom we think would be socially, mentally, and psychologically.
Speaker 1: Suited to the new member.
Speaker 9: In other words, one who is exactly their type.
Speaker 1: This is tougher than when I try to get my dog in the Kimmel Club. I'll tell you I ain't interested in marriage, but I would like to meet someone who is the perfect type for me, just to see what life might have been with the right girl.
Speaker 9: Well, now, to save any future embarrassment, when we introduce members of our club, we always make it a practice for them to conceal themselves under a pseudonym.
Speaker 1: Well, I ain't got one of them, but I could hold my head over my fears.
Speaker 9: No, no, no, What I mean is we have our members use different names. Now, is there any particular name you would like to be known under here at the club?
Speaker 1: Nim uh yeah. Here at the club, you can just call me Hernando. How do you do?
Speaker 7: I'm missus van Dyke. How do you do you want to see me about joining I get a quainted club.
Speaker 4: Yes, I came down here with my mother. I'd like to meet that is I.
Speaker 5: Well, you see the thing is I I understand very well, Missus Stevens.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm not interested in marriage, but I would like to make some new friends and meet somebody who has the same interests I have.
Speaker 7: Well, before we introduce you here at the club, we make positive it will be the right person. You'd both be subjected to tests and physicological interviews. In other words, we bring together two people who would be ideally suited.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, well, it would be interesting to meet somebody who is just the right type for me.
Speaker 7: Well, we'll talk about that at our next interview. By the way, on the way out, would you send.
Speaker 1: The next person in? Please? Oh boys, how does it look? Oh boy, you look great? King faz king phezus you going through with this crazy thing? Is you really gonna meet this? Get a queen at gal this evening? Certainly I hes emos so I find me was mismitted, and now the club has scientifically pick out the person who would have been perfect me for me. This person not gonna meet her had all kinds of tests too, We as the kind of would be ideally suited for each other. Yeah, they ain't no harm in just meeting the person. Uh, you say you're gonna meet her in the park. Yeah, seven o'clock tonight. She gonna be looking for me under the name of Hernando, and I was gonna be looking for her under the name of Juliet Earless almost seven o'clock. Juliett ought to be here in a minute, Juliet, where is you? At Las? Are gonna meet the person who is ideally suited to me? Wait a minute, here comes somebody. Oh, I bet it's Julius Juliet. Here he is come to me? Is that you Julia John Stavens, Mama. Oh.
Speaker 3: Today, wherever Rexolt drug products are sold, people are discovering that you get better mark complete relief from colds with rexol an a pack.
Speaker 1: And here's why.
Speaker 3: ANAPAC combines at ahistamine with the time tested pain reliever known as APC compound. That way, you not only get quick relief from cold symptoms, but also from the muscular aches, soreness, fever, and headache that usually accompany a cold. If you're being knocked out by a cold, start tonight taking ana pack as directed on the label. That's a na pac Ana pack at rex Al drug stores everywhere. And don't forget ladies and gentlemen to visit your friendly rex Al druggist. Good night, See you next Sunday. Man, Your shavings. You're worst daily chore. This tip from Wilcox don't ignore. Stag Brushless shave cream starts your day the faster, cooler, no scrapeway. Stag needs no rub in, smooths right on wilts those whiskers while you yawn, stays moist longer, costs no more and sold at every rec Exault store. Stag Brushless shaved Cream be sure to be with us next Sunday at the same time when you're rex Al Druggist will again present the Amos and Andy Show. Stay tuned for the Edgar Burgh and Charlie McCarthy program, which follows immediately over most of these stations.
Speaker 1: This is the CBS Radio Network.