Speaker 1: And good morning here on K one and fourteen hundred FM ninety three point three ninety five. We won few technical issues here behind the scenes, but welcome to this City Matters program. I got a motley crew in here today exactly exactly City of Barnellsville officials in Terry Lawrenson over a water wastewater. We have Jason Mounager who's over all the finances and taking care of all the legal business, and of course fire Chief HC. Call and Andrew Ward, our deputy police chief.
Speaker 2: Good morning, gentlemen.
Speaker 3: How are we morning? Yes, we have an eclectic group here, I guess to say the least an accurate description. So and just as a little note, this is Andrew's first radio program, so he is making a maiden voych here, so we will.
Speaker 2: Does that mean I can abuse him? Yes?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, yeah, yeah, absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 1: We've had a little bit of practice with that. When we actually hired HC. Call, we were on the teamage.
Speaker 3: Oh there I go.
Speaker 2: I know now we could talk about that anyway, Cherry. What do we have going on in the city, Well.
Speaker 3: We want to go through a few announcements just to remind citizens what's going on and just to kind of keep everybody in the loop. But we do still have the disposal site for the tree and brush damage from last week's storm, so that is open through next week through July second. The press release says that it's on Highway six eat just west of town. It's open from seven to three thirty Monday through Saturday, with the exception of this Saturday, so it will not be open this Saturday, but it will be open Monday through or Monday through Friday, and then Monday Tuesday next week. So if you still have any tree brush damage that you need to haul off, that site is still available for you, just as a reminder, that is for tree debris, brush and vegetation only, so no sheds, no fences, know anything of that of that contact there with it. So if you haven't taken advantage of that and you still need to dispose of some tree debris, that's a great sight to do.
Speaker 1: So you can just take your sheds and your trees and I mean your your sheds and your your fence is over to Terry's place.
Speaker 3: That's rights in the county as everybody else does. But joking, don't do that. Take it to the landfield. Take We're supposed to go. So as the weather has finally cleared and summer seems to be upon us. Uh Now, construction begins on several projects. Uh So, we have a road project starting on North Madison between Minnesota and Tuxedo. So city crews will be doing a resurfacing job really starting from the water tank if you're familiar with that area north to Minnesota. So that will be all of this week, so that will facilitate if they're not closing the road, but they're really requesting that if you don't live on that street to avoid that that particular section. Work's going to be from seven am to seven pm on those dates. Only local traffic is permitted through that work area. So if you can avoid that, if possible, we encourage you to do so. So again, that's this week Monday through Friday. Hopefully it will be Friday, whether permitting, of course, with the rains and whatnot that's forecast.
Speaker 1: Later this week we have another big one as well. I think you're about to talk about. This has nothing to do with the City of Barlowso, by the way, that's right, Yes, this is o DOT finally doing something.
Speaker 3: Yes wild So last week O Dott did announce that they are doing some preventive maintenance work on Adams or Highway sixty really starting at Quawpaw to Highway one to twenty three, so really through the downtown area. We're not exactly sure the extent of what they are looking to do, except that it's going to be an asphalt maintenance type project, So we're not sure if it's a millan overlay or if it's just an overlay, but they do they are going to have lane closures throughout that project. It will start this week, it will go all the way till August. First, their plan for some of the minor intersections is to close those intersections while that work progresses through that intersection. On the major intersections, like on Cherokee and possibly Johnstone, they will have flagged people there to help facilitate traffic north south through those intersections. So if you can avoid Adams Boulevard for the next month, I guess that's kind of what they're talking about. They would encourage you to do so, but it will be certainly one lane of travel, likely both directions, so there will be delays if that's your primary route or if you happen to go down that route during construction, but that begins today and it will go all the way through August first. But this isn't the final solution for OTAs Boulevard, so this is just kind of as a stop gap. They are planning to completely remove and replace the road in twenty twenty seven to twenty eight, so we're still a few years away. I guess they've heard us all the times that.
Speaker 1: I guess so because we talked about it, I don't know how many times. And I mean, it's better than nothing than nothing. I know a lot of people have been avoiding Adams anyway because of the state of especially as you're going down the hill they're from near Lee Lake and Silver Lake and then avoiding the right hand lane as you're coming into downtown. Yeah, several alightnments I'm sure have had to be done.
Speaker 3: That it is. Unfortunately, they are not doing anything on that particular stretch, so it's really from the River West is really what they're looking to do.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, so thanks for that update, because we were told it was going to be from the seventy five overpass all the way down.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The press release that they told us is that it's going to be from Quawpaw Okay West Okay. Well, no, I stand corrected. They did say between US and five and Highway went twenty three. So but I guess they're starting in Quawpaw Okay So okay, they're starting downtown. But I guess the maintenance project will go all the way to Highway seventy five. So you are correct, Nathan.
Speaker 2: It happens a while there you go, not very often.
Speaker 3: So that's that is ongoing and much needed. But again these are in essence temporary repairs to kind of buy time to get to the final replacement, which is a few years away. Fire hydrant testing continue, so we as part of our annual maintenance of fire hydrants and just checking make sure everything is operating operational, we test all the fire hydrants within the city limits and in the surrounding area. So that's roughly sixteen hundred hydrants that we test and we are almost complete. So currently we are in what we call Zone ten, so that's at Price Roads south the Rice Creek Road and Hampton Road to Highway seventy five, so kind of that south eastern quadrant of the city that we are doing those hydrant tests there. So if you're in that area, just keep in mind that you may have times where the pressure is reduced while we conduct that flow test, and if there is any issues that's over an hour, call us that should be corrected when it finished, since it typically takes about twenty minutes to an hour to do the testing in the particular areas.
Speaker 1: So that's like a Colonial and Kenelworth and Starve View. Am I saying that right? Yeah, one right there by the old Price barn.
Speaker 3: It is yep, yep, Starvial, Colonial, Kenilworth And then in kind of that whole section there, so south Price, west of High with seventy five, So if you're in that area and east of the river, if you're in that area, that's we're coming towards you here at Prive within the next week.
Speaker 2: Very good.
Speaker 3: And the last one is that we are doing a wastewater rehab on a sewer line on Denver Road just west of Cherokee between Cherokee and Shawnee. Unless you live on that street, you will never notice it, but we will have some lane closures to facilitate that work. That is starting today. It will last for the next couple of weeks. So pairly short hit type of thing. If if you happen to drive by and see work going on there, that's what's going on. Uh. And of course if you live on Denver, then that's gonna be something that you will know very intimately.
Speaker 2: Got a couple of friends who live on Denver, So there you go. Sure we'll hear about that.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, So it's one of the you know, it's just to make it better, you have to you have to kind of close things and make it a little bit of challenge to navigate. And that's, uh, that's just where we're at. And so I guess Jim Bonzac said, the you know, the the quickest point between two destinations is usually under construction.
Speaker 1: Of course, that's that. So multiple construction areas going on right now.
Speaker 3: Multiple multiple improvements by that's making it better. And so we can we can live through the temporary things so that the improvements are there in the roads or whatever facility is much better in the long run.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: All right, So we're gonna jump into our group here, so HC We're gonna start with you to talk a little bit about some some fun facts and different things to keep in mind here in the next big holiday.
Speaker 4: Sure, as we approach in July fourth holiday, we just want to remind everyone that fireworks are prohibited within the city limits of Barnesville, So if you get get caught shooting off fireworks, that could come with a fine and get your fireworks confiscated. That's on public and private property, So anything inside the city limits you can't shoot your fireworks off. We would like to encourage people to report that on the non emergency number instead of calling nine one one so it doesn't tie up the nine one one emergency number. Yes, yeah, PD's non emergency number is nine one eight three three eight four zero zero one, So if where.
Speaker 2: You could call Chief Hall on his personal cell phone.
Speaker 4: Yes, there are public displays on July third, fourth, and the fifth, so you've have Hillcrest Sooner Park and then also the Dungeons Stadium will have a show on the fifth, so we just want to remind everyone on that. And as the temperatures start increasing, we just want to encourage everyone to be mindful of the hotter temperatures and the higher humidities and just be careful if you're outside doing yard work or anything outside with the family. On that that side of things, and then one other thing we had going on. We had an annual softball game between us and the fire department and the police department.
Speaker 1: So since he's leading with this, I kind of have an idea where this might have gone.
Speaker 4: So this has been ongoing since probably the seventies, we've played a charity softball game fire versus police. It hadn't happened every year, but we try to try to do it as often as possible. This year it was headed up by the fire rider Ryan Winter and Officer Sierrah Compton were the ones that spearheaded this year's This year's game raised a little over nine hundred dollars and the charity was Special Olympics this year. So out of that, I think the score was I want to go back and I think it was twenty.
Speaker 3: It was close.
Speaker 5: I think it was.
Speaker 4: Twenty three to eleven. Fire Department won again. This was closer this year than it has been the past, twenty three to eleven.
Speaker 3: I heard there was some bias on the you know, the umpire, you know as well, different strike zones there, you know.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm sorry, it's twenty five to eleven. I was off on the score. He forgot that eleven. But it's all in fun. We tried to raise money for a good cause, and it's I don't know exactly what the record is, but you know, from the seventies to now, we've played quite a few games. I think p D's won one or two along the way.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: By the way, well, that's where they held a little carrot, you know that the stick on the carrot with the carrot on the stick, it's actually a doughnut.
Speaker 2: I'm just kidding with you guys.
Speaker 4: So there's a there's a traveling trophy and it has a permanent residence at Central fire Stake.
Speaker 6: Permanent.
Speaker 4: But yeah, usually we'll try to get some some one usually volunteers to get tased or something along those lines. So we didn't have that this year, but we had a couple of other things that went on. So we tried to do it every year and raise some money for a good cause around the around the area. But I just wanted to say thanks to Officer Compton and Firefighter Winter for spear hitting this year's game and it's a lot of fun. Hopefully to do it again next year. Give the cops another chance.
Speaker 2: That's why they need some practice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know, talk to Chief Mickaelberry about that. See if you can get you guys and in the Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well that's we did this perfectly, Nathan to let Hi go first and then Andrew can provide his rebuttal you know in there. That's the way democratic forum there. So Andrew.
Speaker 5: Going to start off with the borders with the police department. Did win the boots and Badges blood drive ah over this last weekend, so we're winners in that.
Speaker 4: Maybe you shouldn't have donated blood before playing, so I don't know that was what the problem was.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what's going on with the police department. We're getting ready to wrap up our second annual Basic Peace Officer Certification Academy. We have two officers graduating that they'll go directly into field training. There'll be about sixteen weeks in that before they hit the streets, so we're definitely excited to have them. Shortly after that, we'll be starting the new academy August eighteenth. I think we have one in that along with several other cities, are conjunction with Tri County Tech. And the most important thing is our police department annual block party. It's going to be September twenty seventh. It's gonna be from eleven am to two pm. We'll be putting a lot more information out on that here shortly, and lastly, like to give a shout out to Arvest Bank. They're gonna be at the police apartment today. They're cooking everybody lunch. So we're definitely appreciated.
Speaker 3: There you go, there you go, great, fantastic. Well, yeah, so maybe there's a change in the softball format where it's the blood drive first, chasing first, and then you do the softball there. Yeah, we'll see. Yeah, you can chase all the firefighters and play first.
Speaker 5: That works.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go, even the playing field there. So all right, Andrew, So, has there been any word about the Citizen Police Academy or they talked about that for the next session here.
Speaker 5: It's been in the works. Were gonna have a final day, Yeah, okay, next week coming up.
Speaker 3: Okay, tell us a little bit about the Citizen Police Academy as far as what what is there qualifications? You have to live in a certain area or anybody who.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, be within the city limits of Artistsville. Then you'll apply. Then we'll reach back out to you with the dates we do this. Last time we did a shortened version which seemed to work out really well. I think we'll probably do that again. Well, we try to have under twenty participants in it, because that's a really good number. Everybody gets good conversation with that. But you'll go through and learn what it is to be a police officer and how we do things and why we do things, and we want them to ask the tough questions, you know, to us and all that. So that's how it's how we come together as community and be better.
Speaker 3: All right, So stay tuned if you have an interest in the police department. There is a Citizen Police Academy that is upcoming soon. So I'm sure there will be some announcements online and I bet they will talk about it on the radiote further as well. So all right, Jason, you're our cleanup heitter. So talking about citizen academies academy, we're going to talk about other citizen academy.
Speaker 6: Well, we put on our first Citizens Academy last June. It was an ad June time frame, my memory serving me correct. Originally, let's have Tracy Rolls as one of the one of the kind of leads on this and he took another job shortly. Yes, so I got thrust in the film is role. So I was part of this last year. Similar to the Police Academy, we take twenty twenty people. They do have to be a resident of the City of Bartlesville, work in the City of Bartlesville, or let's say I got some notes here, or full time employed or a business owner. You must be eighteen or older. You must have a transportation to get yourself to and from. You have to be able to make all the commitments on the dates that are given. I think it's kind of tentative right now because this is just a draft format of what we're going through. But it'll be in September October time frame. It's a six I would say six week but it's it's bi weekly, but there will be six sessions and it's kind of similar to Police Apartment, just kind of shows you the different departments, different responsibilities of the city. You know, we'll we'll go from the legal side, city management side, water wastewater, get to the water plant, the wastewater plan.
Speaker 3: It's pretty informant that.
Speaker 6: Honestly, till we did this last year was the first time I'd ever been out to the wastewater plan, so.
Speaker 3: Wow, you got to get out of.
Speaker 6: So even even as an employee that's worked there a long time, there's still pieces of the city that I'm we kind of know what everybody does from the surface level, but kind of get to see the ins and outs of what they do on a daily is uh, you know, something even I don't get to experience. So I think it's very informational to the to the citizens and if they really you want to know, and I assume people that are going to apply to to be honestcom you really do want to take a deep dive into their city government. So I know we got some time here, so let's try to tell you questions for filler.
Speaker 3: Dive in some details. So what's the cost? So is there any costs? No costs, okay, free to.
Speaker 2: The free.
Speaker 6: Applications will be accepted through July thirty. First, I apologize, I don't know. I'm assuming that's probably out on our website as a form for that.
Speaker 3: I don't know that to be one, I don't think they've posted it yet, but I think they'll do the application through the website when that opens up.
Speaker 1: I think I think Laura said assistancy major Laura Summer Sanders Summers, listen to me, that's Martha's task. I think she said the applications will become available July first.
Speaker 3: First sound.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was not at the meeting where all this uh pride, and I found myself being another part of again. I kind of thought when I volunteered last year for it, it got me out of the loop, but they got me wrapped in for two more years.
Speaker 3: So I think, yeah, when you're so good and you get volunteered for opportunities.
Speaker 6: So give kind of a quick overview. You're gonna get to meet city council members. You'll get to meet all department heads, a lot of our staff. You'll learn how the decisions are made, how city funds are allocated, how our departments operate. You'll get a comprehensive overview of departments programs, the services in which they provide, discover current status and future plans for marginalous development, their service operations, and other various topics. You're gonna participate in lively discussions and fun interactive activities, some more fun than others.
Speaker 3: There you go, Well, I think the encouragement is for hands on participation.
Speaker 6: So there's definitely some hands on experience. I know, we take them out of the yard city are and they get to mess around some of our large equipment.
Speaker 3: Run some equipment. They get to actually physically view the various plants to see exactly what happens. We don't get them to do anything.
Speaker 6: Oh, you can see stations and wastewater. You know the wastewater treatment plan, which is you know, kind of a gross well, it's a process where we start at and where it finishes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean that the a lot of folks don't know that.
Speaker 1: You know, obviously you have two different plants, and you know it doesn't all come from one plant. But the ted Locking Unicipal Water Facility out there on Lake Hudson Road, it's absolutely incredible. When what's that built?
Speaker 3: Built in two thousand and six.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's coming up on it's a twenty years. Yeah, And how many millions of gallons of water can that plant process each day?
Speaker 3: It can process twenty six million. So our current averages roughly five and a half is what our annual average is. Summertime is much higher due to you know, just outdoor water use of such we'll get up in the eight, nine, ten, sometimes twelve million gawns a day. Wintertime obviously is quite a bit less, but if you average it all out, five point five million gallons of water per day through that facility.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, so it's it's key there, folks that twenty years years ago, nineteen years ago to be more more precise, that facility was built with the future in mind, and you know so that that that capacity is there. Where we have a little bit of an issue is with the supply. But again, absolutely pristine facility there. I've been out there one time. Okay, so maybe I need to go out and do this. I've never been to the wastewater treatment player.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah. A lot of people just seem to shy away from that, which.
Speaker 2: Isn't I don't know why. The smell.
Speaker 3: Well, you run the pathfinder, especially starting there in Johnstone Park and you go kind of to the east, you run right by it.
Speaker 2: So absolutely right, I don't think you can miss it.
Speaker 3: No, you can't miss it. So unfortunately their exposure is on the front end of it and they don't really see what it gets to as far as all the treatment. They have claniness that comes out of it. So that's a really fascinating process in itself on how that works. A lot of science that goes into it, a lot of you know, a lot of dedication with the employees that operate that out there. So it's really kind of a I think it's an interesting process. Others may agree or disagree with it, but it really you notice the difference from when the water comes in you can see it, and then the water goes out to the river you can see, you know, just a claiming it's between the two. And it's an amazing the difference that that makes in really a short amount of time, just a few hours through that process to get it all cleaned up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the good news that we have right now again Terry, is we've had so much rain. Hula is like twenty five feet above normal. You know, Copana is more than ten feet above normal. I'm sure Lake Hudson is doing just fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's full, so listen.
Speaker 1: So much better than what we were talking about, you know, two years ago this time where we were having a very concerning water issues.
Speaker 2: But we're good for this summer so far.
Speaker 3: Hopefully it will be good for at least a year plus and so that's been fantastic from a water supply standpoint, and that's just the way nature works is sometimes it gives an abundance and sometimes it gives very little. So we're in an abundance cycle, so we're very thankful of that. When water is in normal cycles, we really have sufficient water really for the next twenty thirty, forty fifty years and that timeframe. But during extreme droughts or kind of those weather patterns, that or water supply gets to be a little less than what we would really want. So that's been the efforts with the Water Resources Committee is to bridge that gap during these extreme weather patterns that we have sufficient water for the next dred years and that's really the goal for us, is the one hundred years that accounts for a severe drought as we had a couple of years ago, so that our water future is secure and well at hand there.
Speaker 1: And just because we have an abundance of water right now, that does not mean that the city's Water Resources Committee and your department is still looking for those You're doing studies all the time and finding out the best solution for our area. Right because, again, folks, burtles of water just does not serve the Sea of Bartlesaw, it serves Dewy, it serves other communities around the areas. So looking at a bigger picture here, we're doing great, but as we know, two years ago we weren't, and so looking towards the future and making those plans right now, that's always on the top mind.
Speaker 2: For your department.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so the Water Resources Committee has met numerous times and they've disseminated through a lot of information. So the plan is that that's been approved through council is to continue with water reuse. So for people that may not have heard that or be real familiar with it, we will have the ability to take up to four million gallons of water from our wastewater treatment plant process, treat it to a higher degree and a cleaner threshold, and then send that water upstream to the Caney River around County Road fifteen hundred ye and then it would flow down the river roughly about seven miles and then we would reuse that or retake that water at the pump station that's by Kitty Park, which is a raw water pump station and the original pump station for the city of Borrows Hill, and then retreat it to a pottable standard and be able to reuse it. So how I like to talk about it is that we will clean that wastewater to a point where it's just almost an eyelash from being drinkable. We'll send it to the river to get it dirty again, and then we'll retreat that to you know, back to get it to a pottable standard. So if you are interested in seeing that process, we will certainly talk about that in much detail through the Citison Academy and you will see how clean that water will get. Because we will pull a sample. We won't make you drink it. We do make Jason drink It.
Speaker 2: Explains a lot.
Speaker 3: It explains a little bit there with Jason, but that so that's one of the things is water reuse. The rest of it is going to involve the engineers. So we're looking to flood control reallocation at Hughle Lake. That's going to have to require federal legislation, which is the next round is in twenty twenty six, so we're working with our delegation. We have had legislation approved in twenty two and twenty four that will facilitate the possible acquisition of water rights at Copan Lake. That requires a partnership with the Town of Copan. We continue to work on that agreement to get all the details worked out. So if we're able to do that, that will add another two million gallons of water a day to our portfolio. So those who two three things in essence will get this threshold that will provide one hundred years of water during a drought condition. So we're encouraged with that. It's going to take time. Anything with the federal government is very lengthy, but we do that so it minimizes the cost to our rate pairs because ultimately we have to be the ones that pay for whatever it's done. So we will release news as we come through it, but it's a long lead item and so news won't be very abundances of course work.
Speaker 1: Of course, what is the big news right now is, of course the construction project Adams Boulevard. Thank the Lord O Dot getting in and doing doing some maintenance. Again, this is not the full restoration of Highway sixty through town.
Speaker 3: It's just kind of all.
Speaker 2: Right, gentlemen, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to City Matters here on K one.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to one on one with a professional, A paid presentation of fourteen hundred K.
Speaker 6: One dignity, compassion, excellence.
Speaker 3: Stuff you in your home in crematory Bartlesville, no water in Barnstall k w O N Bartlesville K two twenty seventy Q Bartlesville K two thirty six c T Pasca