Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's new radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Nicole. Let us hope the Bruins end their day better than the stock market and their day today what a blood bath. Good evening, everyone, and welcome on in. I'm Dan Ray, host of Nightside, heard every Monday through Friday night right here in WBZ Boston ten thirty on your AML. You know we can always get us. We're at iHeartRadio station and you can always get the new app and use WBZ as one of your presets on that app. I know that many of you listen to us on the app around the country, many of us, many of you listen to us over what's called terrestrial radio. However you listen to us. All we do is we ask you to listen to us. I mean, if you do get the app, no matter where you are, day or night, twenty four seven, three sixty five, you can pick up WBC and we will keep you informed with the news during the day and entertained and informed with some talk at night from eight to midnight. We have lots coming up tonight. We're going to talk a little football, which we very rarely do here on Nightside. It's off season, but the Patriots players basically say that their team is not treating them well. We'll get into that a little bit. Very interesting article about the Globe and the Herald today and they're going to talk about self driving autonomous vehicles. I actually have been in a self driving autonomous vehicle and it was pretty cool. But I'm not sure most people are interested in being in a self driving autonomous vehicle. And we'll be talked with Mark Shield drop of Triple A. Oh sometimes late sometime later on tonight. We'll keep in suspense for that. In the meantime, we afford very interesting guests in the first hour, and we're going to start off with Nick Burns. Nick is a Google trends expert. Welcome Nick Burns tonightside. How are you.
Speaker 3: I'm great, Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm sure Nick, when you were seven or eight years old and someone said to you, Nick, what do you want to do when you grew up? Maybe you said you wanted to be a fireman, maybe a policeman, maybe a doctor, maybe a baseball player. You never said you wanted to be a Google trends expert. How'd you end up? As you know, you're expert.
Speaker 3: You're right, You're right. You know, life takes you and crazy adventures and you just got to say yes along the way.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, yes, sir. So tell us, first of all, exactly what a Google trends expert is. I don't assume that wasn't your major in college. I'm assuming.
Speaker 3: You're you're very correct there. I was a literature major. But a Google trends expert, you know, we look at what people around the world are searching for. It gives us a lot of really interesting insight around the trends, what interests people, and it's kind of like the heartbeat of the Internet.
Speaker 2: So give us recently, I mean, give us an idea. There's a lot of folks out there who now understand Google and they understand trends, and obviously, at different points during the year, different trends take priority. But give us a sense as to maybe, let's talk February. February has just ended. I assume those numbers have been compiled at this.
Speaker 3: Point or no, we, sir, have Yeah, we have cut the numbers. And you know, February was a very busy, busy month, you know, and has everything from the Super Bowl to the SAG Awards, to Fashion Week in New York, to Black History months, and we saw all of these show up in our trends throughout February.
Speaker 2: Anything that surprised you, I mean all of those are sort of pre scheduled February events. Anything that surprised you during the month, Oh.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I for me, I think I don't know if you follow in New York Fashion Week, But what was surprising to me is Calvin Klein was actually the top trending collection in terms of what people were searching for. And it comes down to a little known fact that this was the first time in five years that Calvin Klein has actually shown a collection at Fashion Week, and that's all due to their new creative director.
Speaker 2: This is a dumb question, but I get paid to ask dumb questions. Is Calvin Klein still alive?
Speaker 3: He is, absolutely and he was there. You're on the newest creative director.
Speaker 2: It seems to me like I'm not an expert in the world of fashion, but it seems to me like he's been around forever. I mean, how old is Calvin at this point?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: That is that is a very good question, and I'm sure if we asked Google, it would tell us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, we'll leave that one going. Well, I really wasn't sure really, to be really honest with you. So in sports, I've looked at a top local trend here and I'm kind of a sports guy, says the NBA All Star Game reaction. It was that the top sports a trend or am I misreading what my producer has given me as a show prep here?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you are correct.
Speaker 3: So the NBA All Star Game was one of the top trending moments in the months. If you watched it, you got to see Mac McClung when the dunking contest, and he was a top trending player from the game.
Speaker 2: And he doesn't he doesn't even play in the NBA.
Speaker 3: You know that, right, I know, but you know he keeps winning these dunk contests.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw it. He's an amazing athlete in that regard. I guess he's the what they call a d league player, which is the first level of minor league basketball. But he can jump, and I saw him jumping. They had a truck out on the court, so not only was he able to dunk, but in the process dunk and flew not only by the basket, but over the trump over the truck. Kind of an amazing sight, that's for sure, But that that threw more more Google hits than the super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know, it's just I think it depends, you know, the super bowls at the very beginning of the month. I think the NBA would kind of later in the month. And so I think you see these trends kind of ebb and flow throughout the course. But you can, ye, what surprised me was the trend which compare the two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what surprised me is with the Super Bowl, you get that two week build up, uh and uh. And there's a lot of wagering on the Super Bowl, as I'm sure you know. And of course it has the the halftime shows, which are interesting sometimes somewhat controversial. That would kind of surprise me. In in I guess science, there are a lot of people looking for sleep tips and sleep maxing. I've never heard the sleep mac the term sleep maxing. Tell us about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. You know, I think this is a carryover from people still trying to get those New Year's resolutions and hold to them. You know, the top trending kind of sleep related or you know, science related search was how to improve sleep, and sleep maxing is all about that. It's kind of a trend on social media which is all about trying to find ways to optimize your sleep, sleep better, sleep more, you know, soundly, get you know, feel more refreshed when you wake up, and you know, people are looking for these tools to help you track your sleep quality. Like I've got a bed wearing my pixel Watch three and it really helps me kind of understand how well I sleep with this sleep score that you wake up and it really provides some great insights.
Speaker 2: Give us, give us a sleep tip that you were seeing. So my listeners who you know, who are listening now might have a sleep tip. What do you what do you got for us?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, absolutely So people in especially in Massachusetts are actually searching for music for sleep, which we're all kind of familiar with, you know, the white noise and and you know, things like that, but music for sleep is becoming so much more popular. We were kind of surprised to see that. And what's really interesting you will find these you know, kind of sleep playlists on YouTube and there's kind of a combination of music or meditations and all of these kind of sounds to help you relax and ease into sleep.
Speaker 2: Well, it sounds to me, Nick like maybe it didn't grow up looking to become a Google trend expert, but sounds to me like you're at the top of your game and you found a position that you really like and that's and that's got to be a real fun position, a real fun spot to be in to be able to watch these trends. I appreciate you taking the time to join us tonight and keep maybe have you back, Okay, I love that.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me and I hope you have a great night you too, Nick.
Speaker 2: Help you have a nice good night sleep. You've earned it tonight, that's for sure. Thanks much, Talk soon, all right, We get back to talk with a planetary scientist. Not exactly sure what a planetary scientist is. I think I know and we'll find out for sure. We talk with doctor Sabine Stanley. Coming of Sabine. I'm not sure the correct pronunciation. Won't get that squared away, I forgot to mention earlier. Rob Brooks is back at Broadcast Central, so he is all set ready to go. Get to your phone calls after nine o'clock tonight, but we have three more interesting guests coming up. This is Nightside. It's say, Thursday night, the second last day of the month of February. We're we're kind of putting the winter calendar in our rearview mirror here. By this time tomorrow night, we'll almost be in March. Stay with us on Nightside. Come on right back after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: I'm delighted to welcome doctor Sabine Stanley, who is a planetary scientist. Doctor Stanley, I think I have an idea about what a planetary scientist is, But how about just a quick off the cuff explanation of what sort of science you're involved in. Obviously it's the science of the planets I get. I'd love to know what you do. Do you chart them? Do you follow them? Welcome tonight, chat.
Speaker 4: Athlin, Thank you so much for inviting me. So a planetary scientist is really interested in understanding why planets do the things they do. Right, think of Earth, why does Earth have an atmosphere? And why does life exist so happily here? But then you look at Jupiter or Venus and you say, why isn't there life there? And why is Jupiter so huge? And have these giant ring systems and all of this. Right, So, planetary scientists are really interested in understanding the physics, the chemistry, and maybe even the biology of what goes on inside planets.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's interesting, as I'm sure you know, at this time during the year, I believe that several of the planets kind of line up. You know much more about this than I do, obviously, and they're visible in some areas on some good nights to the naked eye. I don't know if it has anything to do with its late winter, but there has to be some reason why they all line up at this time of year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really just chance encounters. Every planet is orbiting the Sun at a particular speed, so every planet has a different length of its year, and every once in a while they happen to all kind of be in the same area at the same time. So it's rare, and it all kind of depends on every planet's yearly time cycle around the Sun.
Speaker 2: Now, this setup right now that I've heard people talk about, is this one an unusual setup or is this fairly common over the course of two or three years.
Speaker 4: You know, it's not fairly common, but you do get alignments of the planets just happenstance every once in a while. There was one a.
Speaker 3: Few years ago.
Speaker 4: But I think you should think of it as a special event that you might only get to see and you know, certain parts of the Earth at once every few years. So take the opportunity to go out and check out that alignment of the planets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's almost again, I don't want to bring religion into this, but it's almost as if there's some hand out there keeping everything working, like a very sophisticated Swiss clock, if you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we like to call that physics.
Speaker 4: The laws of physics are really good at keeping things in order.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is true. So now you're going to talk about something called Fierce Planets, the exhibition at the New England Quilt Museum, which is up here in the Massachusetts area, up in Lowell, as I understand it.
Speaker 5: Correct, Yep, that's right.
Speaker 4: So there is an exhibition of textile arts. It's called Fierce Planets, and it's based actually on the science that's featured in my book that's called What's Hidden inside planets. So the book really kind of explores all the fascinating things that are happening, say a thousand miles below our feet here on Earth or maybe inside other planets. And these textile art pieces were inspired by the content of that book and really brought all of that science to life and an incredible visual mechanism. So that's at the New England Museum in Lowell until May third.
Speaker 2: So your book is entitled What's Happening in or Inside Planets?
Speaker 4: It's what's hidden inside planets?
Speaker 2: Hidden inside planets?
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, so we know so much about the surface, right, but how much do we really know about the deep inside? And so that's really what the book tries to explore.
Speaker 2: How are you able to do that? And again, I don't want to take a track here, and obviously it's something that I'm sure is much more complex than you can tell us. But they still are trying to figure out what's going inside the Earth. My understanding is that the core of the Earth is shifting, and recently we had a scientist on last week who talked about that not a problem. We're not going off track or anything, but I guess it's constantly there's constantly movement inside the Earth, as there is constant movement in the atmosphere, how can you figure out what's going on in Jupiter or Mars or Saturn? How is that possible? We can't tell the weather forecast three days in advance. It sounds to me for sure, you know, not to criticize my meteorological friends there by the way, just to make sure I cover myself.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, understand, Yeah, No, it's a great question. So here's the reality. It is really hard to say, dig inside the Earth or another planet to go see it firsthand. But what we can do is kind of what like a doctor does. If you go to the doctor and you say I've got this pain in my side or something like that, you might be sent in for a scan, right, a CP scan or an MRI. So there are ways of sending waves or other fields through a planet, just like the doctor does through you when you're getting a scan, to see what's going on deep inside. So we take advantage of natural fields things gravity fields or magnetic fields or seismic waves that happen when an earthquake happens, and we actually use that to image what is going on inside a planet.
Speaker 2: Now is this imaging done through you know, satellites and all of that, or is it done through powerful telescopes here on Earth? How was this accomplished?
Speaker 4: So it's mostly done through satellites. We send spacecraft to planets, and those spacecraft have instruments that can measure the gravity field or the magnetic field, so it's mostly done that way. There are a few things you can get, say from powerful telescopes near Earth, right, but it's mostly the most detail we have are from the spacecraft that we send out to the planets.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm sure you've spent years and years and years studying this. How fast is our body of knowledge expanding in this field? I have to assume that one hundred years ago, maybe people thought about this, speculated about it. I have to believe that that the base of knowledge that you deal with today is exponentially greater than what it was ten years ago, and five years or ten years from now, it's even going to be exponentially greater than it is today.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And the amazing thing about planetary science is the whole community really works together in trying to think about, you know, where should we send the next spacecraft? Where do we need to learn the next big thing. And so then you work for years on developing this spacecraft and you send it out to a planet. So, for example, the Juno mission got sent out to Jupiter, and as soon as that spacecraft gets there and takes new data, we basically have to rewrite the textbooks about that specific planet. So it's really amazing to see how much more we learn every time we send out a spacecraft to a planet for the first time. Right, and even you know plans we've been to Mars, for example, every time you send a spacecraft with a new mission there, it learns so much new information that we just really changed the field entirely.
Speaker 2: We never script questions on this show. So this is what comes into my head because I'm thinking, I want to think, like my audience, is there something amazing that you have learned or the scientific community has learned in the last year or five years about one of the planets that was never understood anticipated prior to just a few years ago.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, so much. Okay, I'm going to.
Speaker 5: Pick the planet that.
Speaker 4: I've been excited about recently. Let's go to Mars. Let's go to Mars. Right, so great, So there's this amazing mission called Insight, which went to Mars and landed this spacecraft on the surface of the planet. And then the spacecraft took us seismometer and stuck it onto the surface of Mars so that it could measure Mars quakes. So with this sismometer on another planet, we were able to tell that quakes, just like earthquakes you're on Earth, happened on Mars. And from those Mars quakes, we actually mapped the inside of Mars, and we now know, for example, that Mars's core, like you mentioned Earth's core earlier, Mars has a core, and that core is actually it's been completely liquid, and it's bigger than we thought it was, and it's kind of challenging what we think about how planets form.
Speaker 5: So we got to work on that.
Speaker 2: Now, well, that's that's fabulous, So let me do this. Let's let's see if I can grab real quickly. Here the event, the event Fierce Planets is on display. It's called the John Hopkins Wavelengths Global Exhibition on view January fourteenth, so it's already all the way through May third. Okay, I assume you probably have traveled up there to see it, so.
Speaker 4: I will be there on Saturday, March fifteenth. I'm going to give a talk about my work and the connection to the Fierce Planets exhibit.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh great, and that's open to the public, I assume, and I see that that the New England Quies Museum. There's a mailing list people can subscribe to, and the New England Quilt Museum is on Shattock Street in Lowell, Massachusetts. Just go to any q M which stands for you know, acronym for New England Quiltmuseum dot org slash fierce hyphen Planets and your book. Give us your book one more time. I'm sure that some people would like to get it. I'm sure they can get it through Amazon. It's What's Hidden inside Planets. Correct, that's right, Well, thank you very much. I enjoyed the conversation, doctor Stanley. I was never a great science guy in school, chemistry and physics. I understood physics better than science than chemistry. Once I saw that periodic table, I was like, I'm supposed to memorize this. No, didn't worry me too. Well, that's great. Well, that's great. I'm sure that you're way ahead in the book that I am though, that's for sure. Thank you so much for your time tonight. I enjoyed the conversation immensely.
Speaker 3: Thanks, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: All Right, we'll take you back to earth a little bit. Here. We're going to talk with Kelly Eisner. She's the director of communications for the American Red Cross at Massachusetts. Always a good time to donate to the Red Cross. March is the blood donors month, Red Cross Month. I will talk about how you can donate, and also you can get tested for free while you donate for a one C which is an important test that everybody should take periodically. Be back with Kelly Eisner on night Side right after this break at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBS, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, well, March is about, I don't know, twenty eight hours away or something like that. We are the cusp of March and March, as I understand, that is a very important month for the American Red Cross. It's Red Cross Month and with us as Kelly Eisner, director of Communications for the American Red Cross of Massachusetts. Kelly, is March the big month. We normally think about it as Saint Patrick's Day and the color would be green, but is this Red Cross Month coming up as well?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 6: How about this, how about we'll let it still be green in Boston but everywhere else it can be read. Does that work?
Speaker 2: That works for me? That works for me? In case I don't forget. I know Kelly and I've worked with her husband, Nate. Please sayhead in Nate for me. But having put all of that aside for a moment, I hope he's doing well. Hope you're doing well. And how important is the month of March to the Red Cross? And how are we with our blood supply right now as a state?
Speaker 6: Absolutely well? And Dan, it's always a pleasure to talk to you. I know we go way back in Nate as well when it comes to blood. Honestly, there is a constant need for blood what we do in March. And the reason March is so important is since FDR, every president has signed March has issued to assign a proclamation listing March as Red Cross Months. It's more just to build awareness, to remind people that we are out here in the community, right here in Boston, right here in Massachusetts and all over the country doing this humanitarian work. So it's just sort of a reminder when you're thinking about the Red Cross. Yes, so you know, every every year we try to build excitement around it. And one of the things that we're doing this month is a one C testing for blood owners.
Speaker 2: Very important. Tell us I know what a one C is and many of many of our in our audience know what it is, but some might not. So tell us what is the importance of a one C and you get an a one C test when you give blood this upcoming.
Speaker 6: Month, absolutely so. Hemoglobin A one C is a common blood test for diagnosing diabetes and monitoring blood sugar levels. It can also give an indication where you might be you might have pre diabetes, which is a condition that about eighty percent of the people who have don't know they are pre diabetic. And it is reversible. It indicates that your body isn't necessarily regulating your blood sugar successfully now and that could lead to type two diabetes later in life. And what's unique is that you don't need to fast for this a one SEE test, So you know, it's an easy way to just get a little bit extra information that you can then take to your doctor and you know, talk about treatment plans and just you know, any lifestyle changes that you can make now before it gets to the point of actually having to be controlled by medication.
Speaker 2: Now, this is important, And I know you're not a doctor and you're not going to play one on the radio, but I don't want people to be intimidated. So if they do donate blood and find that maybe their A one C is in getting closer to a more dangerous level, how difficult is it before you need to take medication? How significant a change in lifestyle does it take to reverse this process? I'm asking. I often say to my guests, we don't prescript questions here, but I don't want people to be afraid of getting this diagnosis. It's actually good to find out what your A one C level is, particularly for people who are not seeing doctors every every year or so with annual physicals. Does it require a huge change in your lifestyle to adjust to whatever your A one C level might be?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, I think you nailed it down that right now. You know, I've seen these statistics. Are about a third of Americans. They're lacking access to regular primary care. They're not able to go to a doctor, or they're not going to the doctor on a regular basis. So this test is a great way to just kind of bring some information to you that you can hopefully then take to a doctor and then that's the point where you can kind of figure out if this is something that can be addressed with just lifestyle changes, you know, eating. It's funny, actually a lot of you know, my father is diabetic, and a lot of the advice that his doctor gave him was kind of the same things that we'd tell blood donors. You know, you want to eat a hyprotein loaf fat diet, you want to make sure you're getting all your vegetables, but you know, in some cases there might be more that needs to be done. So really it's just a tool to help you and your doctor together kind of work towards that best health plan.
Speaker 2: So when folks go and we'll get to the locations and the times and all of that in a second, But when folks go to to give you to make the blood donation, they don't have to fast. I think you said that was not.
Speaker 6: Necessary, correct, And actually we encourage people don't test. You know, you want to make sure you eat a full meal, a healthy meal the night before you donate, and you want to get plenty of water before your donation as well, So don't test.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's fine though, That's good information. And so when you are given whatever information you are given, do you get it you know, as you as you leave the donation center that day and a piece of paper to take it with you, or is this something that is sent to you a day or so later.
Speaker 6: Through it takes about a week, I'm being told, and you know, we officially start on March first, so that week might be a little bit longer or less depending. But the where that information goes is into the account that you use to make your blood donation appointment. So most people that I talked to use the blood donor app to schedule their appointment. So there's already a profile there and the results of the AEC test would be posted there if you schedule online, if you go to a Red Cross blood dot org the scheduling appointment, you'll create a profile there and that's where that information will be. And when you check in at your blood donation appointment, they'll make sure that you have the right profile and they'll kind of walk you through how to find exactly the information that you're looking for.
Speaker 2: Perfect, Okay, Red crossblood dot org. So how many different locations? How convenient will it be the donation locations moving around during during the month of March or are they stationary in certain locations? How how that going to work?
Speaker 6: Yes, and yes, I kind.
Speaker 2: Of thought that was going to be the answer, but you go ahead and amplify on it for us.
Speaker 6: Sure, So everywhere that you can give blood with the Red Cross, you can your blood will be tested for a one see it'll have the screening in mass two sets. We're lucky. We have nine fixed site locations. These are like our brick and mortar blood donation centers. The close one probably too for your listeners, be Weymouth or detim if Dan versus Boston. We go out as far as Western Springfield or at all of the blood drives from the field because again, the blood is tested after it comes back to our lab. That's part of why it takes a little bit. There's a little bit of turnaround time for it. Sure, So anywhere you donate with well you guys, I.
Speaker 2: Know you always make it really easy. Uh, and we're talking about probably it's an hour to get there if I've recalled correctly, and by telling you blood is donated. They give you a little while to make sure that you're all set and ready to go. You're talking about you've got to kind of block out about an hour from the moment you walk in until the moment you're going to leave. Is that the turnaround time still approximately?
Speaker 6: That is exactly right?
Speaker 2: Perfect? Okay, So I think we've covered the waterfront here, Kelly. The redcrossblood dot org is the website. All the information is there, and let's hope that many of our listeners will take advantage at some point during March to participate and donate some blood. Thank you so much, Kelly. Always great to talk with you.
Speaker 6: Thank you Dan. Nice to talk to you as well.
Speaker 2: All right, and say aha to my friend Nate when you see him tonight. Okay, thanks so much, talk to you soon. Final break here on this hour of the night side News Update and we get back, we're going to talk about something all of us should be aware of. We're going to be talking about in uptick this spring, in rodents in ticks, just what we don't want to hear. But let's let's find out how we can deal with it as most effectively as possible. We have a special guest coming up right after this break. My name is Dan Ray. This is Nightside. To listen to WBZ, Boston's News Radio ten thirty and your am I. We're an iHeartRadio station. You can pull down the new and improved iHeart app and you can preset WBZ on that app, so you'll always just be a fingertip away from your favorite radio station. Back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, as mentioned earlier tonight, we're getting perilously close. Actually that's a we're delighted that February is almost over. We'll be in March by Saturday. But with March comes springtime and the return of some of those pests we don't like with us. As Galvin Murphy, he's a road and expert preventative controls qualified individual with a company called Yankee Pest Control. Now we're not talking about New York Yankees being pest We're talking your company is Yankee Pest Control, real pests. Okay, just want to make sure what we're talking about here.
Speaker 5: The two legget past our extra charge. You know, they're a little extra.
Speaker 2: No, I understand that there's not much you talk about them, that's for sure. But I think the red sox will be in better shape this year. That's my prediction. You have a prediction that we're going to see an uptick in rodents and ticks. Why would that be.
Speaker 5: The principle behind the roadman tech increase is really the weather patterns in the Boston area. We've just I think everybody has noticed the shorter winters if we're just not getting those deep freezes, which it's just not interrupting the reproductive cycle of the rats for us. So it really the winters of old seem to be gone and we're really taking a beating on the rat populations, that's for sure. Well so I think in a few weeks.
Speaker 2: But we've we've just gone through two pretty cold months here.
Speaker 5: Galvin, it is it is been. We've had a good winter. But I think the next couple of weeks, once we have a quick melt, I mean all week it's been fifty and we're already getting termite swarms. So I think a lot of these ticks will be out earlier than normal. For those folks looking out to get out hiking and walking a little earlier should have a little extra precautions with them. But with the rats, I think they'll be out in scavenging for food a lot sooner than the normal as well as you.
Speaker 2: So, now, when we think of rats, we think of downtown Boston, and I'm not talking about the city councilors, okay, I'm talking about their whole legged rats in downtown Boston and in other major cities. How far is the rat population from just the downtown area. I mean, obviously you have the outer city in Boston, you have you know, the the you know, what we think of as the nice neighborhoods. But I think sometimes the rats can be found in the nice neighborhoods. And then we get to the suburbs, the community surrounding Boston. How far do these rats.
Speaker 5: Roam typically from their area of rest or they're you know, let's call it a dumper and alleyway if we're talking the city, maybe one hundred feet at most. If they have a nice comfortable area of food, maybe fifty to one hundred feet. You know, in laboratory settings you can see them go a couple hundred feet, but in you know, you make a good it is it is in suburbia though, Like you make a great point that ninety five Belt is really active when it wasn't just say, fifteen twenty years ago. And we're hitting our communities, you know, Danvis, Islington, some of these these like interfacing cities that are really pushing on suburbia are having a beautiful problem with the rat infestation that's popping up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not sure it's a beautiful problem. It's a it's a problem. Nonetheless, Okay, it is, it is? And what do you mostly deal with commercial businesses or do you also deal with the home issues, the peak, the neighborhood issues.
Speaker 5: So that Yankee pasta profile is about fifty percent residential and about fifty percent commercial. But the commercial arena is really driven by you guess that a rat population or rodent populations feeding in dumpsters, et cetera. So we we in right down the middle of nice Staff that covers both residential you know, all the way up to Worcester, down the Cape and up to New Hampshire. But that that commercial work is really inside that ninety five belt where we have our you know, a lot of these studies are going to tell us that that dense urban sprawl is where your rats are going to thrive. And I don't think that's a secret to anybody. You know, the North Shore neighborhoods, the you know, the more compact neighborhoods of Boston proper. And even when you get down to your old neighborhood down hydepoc Readville, you'll start seeing some of that activity, even though it's a little more suburban feeling in that part of town. So that that's something we haven't seen in fifteen years, twenty years, that much activity.
Speaker 2: Why have they not been able to come up with dumpsters which do not you know, that that rats can't get into. It seems to me that they talk about in the old days, anyone who could who could invent a perfect mouse trap the world would be the patent to your door. Why is it that with all of these dumpsters. I mean, you're in Boston and you see and you see litter on the street, and you see the right pizza crusts on the street, and you just realize that if if everybody pitched in and cut off their food source, they wouldn't be able to survive as comfortably as they do.
Speaker 5: You nailed it, and you didn't even mean to it. So we have a people problem. You know, the rat problem is just benefiting off of our people problem. You know, there're are dumpsters out there. There's beautiful trash cans out there that are virtually rodent resistant, and I wouldn't call them rodent proof, but we have a people problem. The trash is around the dumpster. It doesn't get in the dumpster, you know, the trash is next to the barrel, you know on Faniel Hall park Way there, or it just doesn't make it in the barrel. So that's the ultimate correction and we need to fix it. You know, we can kill the rats. We have great tools. There's beautiful mouse traps out there. You know, you get equipment like carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide, which is new to the industry, really been impactful for stopping rat populations, but it doesn't stop the emergence of the people problems that we have and again the densely packed communities. So there are some good tools out there.
Speaker 2: The other thing which I people think don't realize is that whenever you're in a coastal city, rats can thrive because in nearby ocean waters and the wharfs and things like that. Am I am I close to the truth on that.
Speaker 5: You're warm there there is you know, let's talk to seaport. You know, how does the seaport look since ten fifteen years ago. It's a whole nother planet. In the higher end stuff that's going down there, the tolerance level of that consumer is low. You know, your pharmaceutical buildings down there, your high end apartments, the tolerance is lower. So you're seeing a little more of pressure on the pest control companies in that area to perform, even when there's densely populated neighborhoods like that on the waterfront, but it's steady. The waterfronts are old, like people consider them old millle areas, but our waterfront is probably the newest and higher end area of you know, in New England. So it's kind of a contrast for us. You know, if you make your way up the sea coast, you know, to some of the fishing plants in Gloucester and Salem, you really see the populations move.
Speaker 2: So so the seaport is pretty good. Well, look on Galvin, we learned a lot, that's for sure. What's your company's website in case anyone wants to get in touch with you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's Yankeepestcontrol dot com or Yankeepest dot com. And we're a family owned and veteran owned and operated company. So we've been in the area for about thirty five years now. So thanks to my father.
Speaker 2: Well, Galvin, thanks very much. I'm not sure if you're a Hyde Park guy or a readvill guy, but that was my stomping grounds many years.
Speaker 5: Very good, excellent, Thank you very much, mister Ray. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Sir, you can call me Dan. I'm not that old. Thanks Galvin, we'll talk soon. Appreciate it very much. Make you great one, all right, and we get back going to talk about the New England Patriots, their complaints about their facilities and their treatment for a team that didn't do very well this year. I think they were four and fourteen if I recall correctly, and they kind of let their coach down. They're complaining quite a bit, and I think I want to talk about it. We normally don't do sports, but if you're a football fan, if you saw this report card from the players, that I think deserves some commentary and hopefully your participation. Back on Night's side. Right after the news at nine pm,