Speaker 1: This weekend was all about the cup. Wigan and Hu k Are were the teams that got up. They'll make the trip down Wembley Way in the hope that it will be their special day. But this week coming gets back to the league and the week to week that is causing fatigue. Welcome to the twenty first episode of Super League three sixty year podcast primarily about the top tier of British rugby league some lower league. John's Wing's about journalism, my poetry. My name is Lee Addison. What are you drinking there, John Davidson, I just spat coax here and my friend, be sure you're going to get to sleep when you finish this recording at eleven o'clock.
Speaker 2: It's been very very long weekend by ithing. I'll sleep like a baby.
Speaker 1: There you go. I'm a coach in Australia, John a journalist in the UK. Please read descriptions of podcasts and listen to all ones to make this introduction shorter, because we have the longest one in rugby league history. This podcasts aired on the Ashes, Rugby League Podcast, Rugby League Coach podcast platforms, as well as a Rugby League Coach YouTube channel and thank you to Rugby League dot Com that are also that are also running this for us. We don't need to go through the Super League ladder this week because it's not changed its last week Rugby League tweet of the week was worry Or who said Casford signing Damian Cook is like when your ugly Maypole's and old busty milf. I had to laugh at that one because that's also my Lee's laugh. Damian Cook signing for cass John he'll be thirty five in a month's time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, I think if you're Cartleford and you look at how bad they've been for a few years, how bad have been this season, obviously you want to do Jill.
Speaker 2: It's about how fit he is and how much he's got left.
Speaker 3: I think from the Castward signing, I can't think of a bigger profile cast signing in recent memory, maybe since Sack Hardacre and I was obviously different because he.
Speaker 2: Kind of I think he was sort.
Speaker 3: Of the hour and leads and then he went on loan to Penrith for a bit and then yeah, I ended up a cast. But yeah, I mean in terms of profiles Australian hook car I'm still playing regular in the NRL. He is obviously getting on, but I think he could be you know, he could be a captain, they could make him captain. I think he could be a really good leader and professional for casts. So yeah, it's a it's a big signing.
Speaker 1: The person who did that tweet about the MILF calls himself a rugby league expert and content creator on x and then in another tweet he said about the CORP, no one's asked and I mean, my team are probably going to win it, and I'd still rather a random round of Super League. I can only imagine how the rest of league fans feel. And he said, f the Cup and f traditions. What I mean, let's let's just have a random question there. I mean, you've just you've just witnessed the Rugby League Challenge Cup this weekend. I've been where does it sit in your head? Where does it sit in people around you? In the head of people around you, Where does it sit in the rugby league rugby league pantheon?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I made that's a really really good question.
Speaker 3: I think growing up, I obviously, growing up in Australia, wasn't really aware of the traditions and the history and I know there's a few people who said they, you know, they used to watch the finals back in Australia.
Speaker 2: I could admit I never did. I wasn't really aware of it.
Speaker 3: It wasn't like the FA Cup Final, which you know people in Australia watched for decades and decades. But I've obviously learned a lot about it since been living in the UK and I've been to I don't know how many finals now, probably twelve or thirty. And I think it's a great competition here. There's fantastic history. I think part of the issue now is it used to be the big event. It used to be the Grand Final, isn't it? And since what ninety nine we have another Grand Final? Yeah, yet we have another Grand Final, so that's a competitor. We also have Magic Weekend, which you know has been a really big success, so big that the NRL's adopted a run with it.
Speaker 2: And we have a lot more other events.
Speaker 3: We have, you know, Vegas, we have Dublin next year, We've got Paris in a few weeks. Clubs go to Catalans and that's and now to lose as well. So that's a fun away trip, isn't it, particularly if you're in the north of England and you want to see some sunshine. So I think all those things have impacted it. And I think the other thing is there's not really a separate budget or a marketing campaign for the Cup.
Speaker 2: It's just kind of lumped together.
Speaker 3: And you know, the TV the audiences I think from Yester Today will be really good on BBC Air but I think they did a really good job broadcasting it. But both the stadiums work full and at Warrington I think was about thurning something thousand in a fifteen thousand and sixteen, but the atmosphere was fantastic, The game was you know, had had everything. It was a bit of controversy, bit of drama, big hits. So I think they're still value in the Cup. But I think it definitely needs it needs work. We need to, you know, come up with a strategy to enhance it and to I think give it more love.
Speaker 1: You could say, my plan for it would be to be have it like a big Bash, so have it breaking the season, have it as a big Bash, and then obviously the teams that the amateur teams, et cetera. They can still do the rounds when they do the rounds, championship teams, et cetera. But then if you get to say the final sixteen, that's a big bash period, so four weeks, and therefore you would need to give everybody in those sixteen teams an incentive two financially to buy a ticket for the final, so that that sells out or gets close to Again that's another question visa v. Wembley. But you do it as a big bash in the middle of the year, and then that means of the Super League clubs, you would imagine, depending on the draw, that at least eight of them are still going to be in the Cup. I mean, you could even see it even more so that they all get there just to help the player welfare. But then that also impacts the smaller clubs getting the big gate fees. I understand that too. So you have it as a big bash, and then for everybody else that isn't there in that four weeks, they've got two things they can do. You can't tell me that super League clubs wouldn't really need a rest for a few weeks right now to get some injured bodies back on the field. But you could also do a nine circuit and whatnot, and you can also play plate competitions or bowl competitions. So I just think we need to reimagine it a little bit in that midyear period. I do understand that clubs will be fearful of the bottom line and there's three Super League fixtures or four super League fixtures they'll miss out on. Same with the Championship. Again, you maybe do something with the figures and you put the onus on every club to market this four week event which you then sell to suit, to broadcasters and whatnot, because the reality is right now. I mean, using Warrior's sentiments in his tweet, he used the words as nobody is asked. That's quite a good way of putting it, because some people don't care as much.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wouldn't say nobody like I think that's that's wrong. You know, after there's sixty eight thousand people at Wembley for the final and you know half a million watch it. I don't think that's with But I do agree with you that it needs to be reimagined. It can be enhanced, and I kind of like your idea. I don't know whether the other side, whether as a preseason tournament you know, because preseason, look is, the preseason games to me.
Speaker 2: Are always a bit of a joke.
Speaker 3: But do we make it as a preseason tournament and then kind of you know, start the season off that way in the bag?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think there's things that we can look at.
Speaker 3: Whether you have you know, all the quarterfinals in one venue venue see you have another menu you can I think there's things we can do that we look at. But I don't think something with a great history and tradition and the heritage that a Challenge Cup has. And again I think even you know, grand finals at Old Trafford, I think we need a final in London every.
Speaker 2: Year for the national point of view. I don't think we give that up. Now.
Speaker 3: You can have an argument about whether you stay at Wembley because of the cost and the struggle to fill it, or you go to somewhere like Tottenham or and the Emirates. But I think we still need a show piece of end in London every year.
Speaker 1: Agreed, Johnny Tweet of the week. Understand, Nigel Wood and Roger Jones will be flying out to Brisbane to Magic Round to continue talks about the MRL potentially investing in Super League. The RL Commission is meeting in Brisbane next week. What can you tell us about that story, John, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Pretty much exactly that that's my understanding that the Jones and Wood will be going out of Brisbane next week. Obviously it's Magic Round at some horp. I think there's a women's start of Roger on the Thursday night and the Magic Round starts Friday, just down the road from u Lee and there will be.
Speaker 2: Some meetings with the arl C and all the clubs, the.
Speaker 1: NRL clubs Friday. I might see them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Well, I think there'll be some very high powered meetings about lots of things. And I think this is the chance now for the RFL, for super Leak to go to the NR and say look, because it's been you've seen all the kind of the stuff and the press and a lot of the comments that different people have made. There's a lot of crap and a lot of kind of political speak. You know, we've got all these offers and the NRL is only one of you know, the many offers we've got. I mean, that's that's nonsense. The reality is they need the NRL. Super League needs the NRL, They need the money and they need the expertise.
Speaker 1: I sent them an offer. I just wanted my name on the side of trucks.
Speaker 2: Are you misster STOWBA.
Speaker 1: Also also I was going to send some green shield stamps. You want not remember what they are?
Speaker 3: No uns unless that's Clint Gren green shield stamps. But no, no, Look, I think I think this is the chance to go and say, Okay, yeah, we want you know, we want to do business with you. We're serious, and I think it's a showing intent. Now what happens next, you know, remains to be seen. There is I think the NRL's learned in the last few weeks, the last month or whatever about how difficult and how many organizations. You know, you've got Sport England, you've got the RFL Council, You've got RL Commercial, you've got Super League, you've got the RFL. You've got all these bodies that they've got to deal with. It's not straightforward, but you know there is. You know, we can say about the game yesterday, the game today. You know there's going to be fifty sixty thousand people at Everton for Magic, the people that are in Vegas. You know, there's there's potential in England in rugby league. You know what I mean, there's growth, there's there's foundations. They just need to be nourished and they need to be fed.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: You look at some of the talent that was saying this weekend like Jack Farremond, Noah Hodkinson. You know there's there's great young players coming through in in England. But we just need to make you know, the game bigger and stronger. And I think to do that, you you join forces with me and our own you make you know, you unify rugby league.
Speaker 1: Johnny's job is this week called Johnny's jabs because there's four of them KR fans troll stadiums with bad white people who don't understand journalism. J You're a winder go on.
Speaker 3: You're the one asking me about it to have pop shots. No, I mean, yeah, the whole cow one. Obviously, I had a story Thursday about some allegations of bullying or a toxic environment in their in their college academy team. Now that or that story, So I'll give a quick rundown. Obviously I can't explain everything who I spoke to, and people seem to understand don't understand that you you know you should reveal every source that you speak to, and that's not how jealousm works. But there was a there was a Facebook post where I think some parents made some claims.
Speaker 2: Now I didn't see that Facebook post.
Speaker 3: I had someone contacted me and alert me to it, and then I spoke to the club. I spoke to the CEO, I spoke to a couple of other people with knowledge of the situation, close to the situation.
Speaker 2: And then I wrote a story.
Speaker 3: Now, a lot of well quite a few whole fans, and I'll say, I've got, you know, some friends who were who are whole Kar fans, and number of them, and I think, you know, the club's done tremendously well as it today has done for several years. But there were some who just sort of think that I put that story out because I'd seen something on Facebook and just reproduced it, which is.
Speaker 2: Not the case.
Speaker 3: And others saying that some sort of conspiracy to damage the club, you know, a couple of days before a big game, which is just absolutely pathetic and laughable.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, does this is this the trolls as well that you mentioned in your.
Speaker 3: Jazz Yeah, yeah, I mean, I mean, I think I think it's all just just on that that story. I mean, since I published that story, I've actually had several people contact me with more information about that situation.
Speaker 1: So so, in other words, that's smoke and they could be a fire.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Look, I think I don't know exactly what's going on, but I think the club needs to investigate.
Speaker 2: I think that's quite clear.
Speaker 3: You know, there's there's a lot of people unhappy and it does seem you know, there's a lot of staff that have left the club, the academy set up in the last six months, so something is there's definitely something going on there that needs looking at. What that is exactly, I don't know, but the idea that I understand people are people are tribal, you know, they love the club and you know, not everything is an attack on your club, Like some things are just news.
Speaker 2: And who do you.
Speaker 1: Hate the most? John ok are Hole or Bradford Bulls. Which team is it? Come on? Reveal Reveal it now on Super League three.
Speaker 3: Sixthly Toronto's and Helen Yeah, yeah, apparently I was at obviously I was at Warrington yesterday watching the Wigans Helen's game and you know Wigan, Wigan was sensational that game, and I was giving a lot of their players praise on on Twitter and one Leads fan was saying, oh, you must be a Wigan fan. I was like, no, just just yeah, just giving my opinion.
Speaker 2: You know I'm not. I'm not a Wigan Johnny.
Speaker 1: I'm going to say the same thing to you. And you've You've given me this advice too when it comes to trolls.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's always easier when it's not you. But I say the same time, Dad, when he's looking at the comments on the Telegraph website because it's all non Man city fans and right wing people. Oh yeah yeah, so an he responds and gets all and say, Dad, if you lie down with.
Speaker 2: Dogs, you get fleas.
Speaker 1: So yes, and I'll give you another quote to Babe Ruth said, the loudest booze come from the cheapest seats.
Speaker 2: That's a good one.
Speaker 1: That one from stadiums with bad Wi Fi. Poor Come on, John, I mean, how about this for a first world problem?
Speaker 4: Eh?
Speaker 2: It is a first world problem, mate.
Speaker 3: But if you want if you want coverage, if you want content about your games and your players, then you've got to give the basic of tools for people to get that out there and in the digital world it's fairly important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Cup semi finals, let's talk about them. Saint Helen's and Dug Egg Wigan thirty two. They scored twenty two of them by halftime. Faraman got to Ecchersley, got to Wardle and Keir and scored tries. Kieran also kicked two goals. Smith kicked two goals. Great defensive effort by Wigan, clinical and attack. That's the third Challenge Cup final in five years from them. I was looking at Saint Helen's in patches and as you know, I'm I'm one of those that think Paul Rowling needs to learn how to coach defense a bit better. But the big, the big overriding thing I saw there was it looked like the player's feet were in cement when they were defending, so they couldn't move side to side very easily. So that's what That's one thing I picked up when I briefly looked at them. You said there was a few talking points from the semi two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, look, best best despirre Wigan all season. I think I'd lost what four of the last six, but they were they were on. They were pumped up. Everything you know in attack and the defense that was sensational. Everything the center on straatting them, they absorbed, counterpunched, and Saint Alan's had so much good ball, so much real position, they just could break them. And I think what was most pleasing from the Wigan side was that those young players like Hode, Concern and Pharamond they really stood up, They really delivered ecklessly.
Speaker 2: It was a fantastic performance.
Speaker 3: But I think the the interesting bit for me, apart from the there was obviously saying Incember smashed Warmsley and then Warmsley later smashed Incember, and when you first saw it, you saw Incember's head go back like a whiplash and you thought all that looked nasty, as in, you know, is that a hardh shot? But you watch it wasn't actually a hard shot at all. It's just a tremendously good shot. But there was some real venom, you know, as you expect with the Derby game, there's some real venom and passion in there, and that bowled off in the build up, sorry, in the in the post match, not only with I think it was Brad O'Neill with a with a sleigh John David Klemo, which he didn't take calmly to as they shook hands. And then what many Pete said about Helone's losing their way with their loan player.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean that's I didn't like. I didn't like that.
Speaker 1: I didn't like that. I mean, Matt, Matt Pete says some great things, but this week he's got that one wrong. I think when when you look when you lose, say nothing, when you win, say even less. And on all he's done there is given Saint Helen something to focus on for the next time they play Wigan, and it was it was a bit silly and also as well, Matty Pete, your team hasn't won many games in the last six weeks. You know, you you you You've had a win, just just you just didn't need to say it. You just didn't need to say it.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm going to I'm going to carry there because I know where you're coming from. But I'm going to carry you from not only from the journalistic point of view, but from also I've been watching the Vince mcmart documentary on Netflix, which I'm not a wrestling fan, but and probably a despicable human vincemic marn but Jeezy could sell and promote a market, particularly storylines. And that's the thing, like there's there was a motion in that win and that performance. They were really hurt from East Wigan. It really got under their skin and I think this is great, Like this just fuels up. I can't wait till the next time Wigans and Helen's play now because there'll be fireworks, Like there's real dislike and he's had a shot at Saint Helens, so you know the next time the play is going to be box office. We need, I think rugby league, particularly in England at times everyone's just a bit too humble and that doesn't want to say anything, doesn't want to upset anyone. You know, we're all we're all working class, you know, northern you know, don't get too big of a head. Like we actually need a bit of We need a bit of Vince McMahon, a bit of Eddie Hearn, a bit of Dana White. You know, we need some color and some controver and some emotion like it show us how much I feel it means to you. And I think that that really that is to respond, like because I think it was, apart from them throwing away that game in the last twelve minutes, it was the Saint Helens fans celebrating or just just gesticulating, shall I say, to the to the wig and fans, and that rubbed them up the wrong way and they've responded.
Speaker 2: But that's a state of origins build on that, isn't it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree with any of it. I just know that that's not really how Super League packages itself. So therefore it was a coaching decision, I think by Matt Peete to make that decision, rather than a marketing decision. And but just and therefore from a coaching perspective, I'm talking about it from a coaching perspective. Yeah, That's where I'm coming from. So I mean, I guess that that, that and that, and you know what, John, everything that you've just been talking about there is exactly why we are in the position we are in now as a sport because the players and coaches have had too much say. The clubs have had too much say in how the game has gone forward. So clubs don't want to give the opposition anything to motivate them, so they'll keep their mouth shut and they'll talk platitudes in in in interviews, the marketers want the exact opposite. And because the clubs have had the power and I've got the power on both sides of the world. Actually, this is why we're not getting that that WWE style thing, and that's why it sticks out because it's very rare.
Speaker 3: It wasn't it with Paul Gallon back in the day. They used to pay him to have a coin said before. But look it worked because it spots that and boxings build on a UFC is build on it, rest things build on it. A lot of sports are the ashes in cricket, you know, you look all that. Look, I agree with what you're saying from a coaching point of view, but I think we need to promote rivalries, you know, and and rugby rugby league, and I say the n r L. I think the few element is huge, isn't it. And I think in England we need we need more of that. We need to, you know, and it doesn't have to be all you know, cheap shots or low blows or anything, but you know it just if you play rugby league, particularly at that level, I mean at any level. But you've got to You've got to be passionate, don't. You've got to run on a motion because it's such a physical, demanding.
Speaker 1: Sport and I think it speak. It speaks to Wigan's performance as well, because yeah, that that is an outlier compared to recent performances, and that's because the Cup means so much to the town of Wigan. But had they had a mortgage on it for so long, Worryington, I.
Speaker 3: Was going to say, they're through to the final now so they can say, you know, the Ben rubbish this season on crisis, but through the final. If they win the final, you know, you know. And I think on that despire like, okay, are a very good team playing well today. That should be a hell of a final and I think it'll be a fifty to fifty game. But you know, the desire and the emotion behind that performance was was massive. And the nil you know, because St Alan's had so much ball and St Helen's their effort was there as well, they weren't.
Speaker 1: I've got a theory about the Wembley Final. The Wembley Stadium keep the grass a little bit longer, so it's a bit of a heavier field, so he does curb some attacking instinct sometimes in the in the Wembley Final they keep the glass grass a little bit longer, I think to protect it for the For the other game, Warrington twelve whole kr thirty two. In the second semi final of the weekend, Warrington scored trail with Curry cab believe Tony Curry is still playing mate, he must be at least sixty and Stone and goals were by Snaide who got two whole k rs thirty two came two from Bachelor, two from Burgess and one from guildhar and Lewis kicked three of the goals adding Martin and whole k r started red hot in this game. They went to a fourteen lead after twenty five minutes. I guess the news item from this, first of all is the Warrington's coach, Sam Burgess kicked off at the end about the coaches, the referee. Sorry. He talked about four captains challenges that went against his side and two of them were inconclusive, and after on BBC two he said the inconclusive stuff. They get decisions wrong all the time, but how long do they want to take? It's ten past six. We kicked off at four o'clock. It's two hours and ten minutes and disappointed with the result, but it's and it needs tidying up. You can talk now, John.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think we had a few questions about this. Yeah, well look and we can. We can answer those questions.
Speaker 1: Now, I think, all right, so so I'll ask them now then so Woody Woody at West Hall of sixty eight. So time to get rid of the video refer tries and captain's challenges. It's taken over the games fans. Fans want to see fast flowing entertainment, not constant stopping video reviews. John Hodgson, John Hodgson, nineteen eighty six. Give him how much data and aspects of a team's performance or within the control of players and coaches. Do we spend too much time talking about and blaming referees?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 3: We can't get rid of the video referee for tries like that's I remember how many Blanders they are in the path.
Speaker 1: It's bad. It's baked, it it's baked.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we we ain't gone back to that, so that that's nonsense. We can definitely improve the way it's done. I think, I mean, I don't know if we need a shot clock, but it does seem like sometimes they are being overly cautious. Like I was watching the game today on TV and there was the try that the Warrington try. The first try, it was just kind of like, oh well that first look, that's Warrington try. Second though, yeah, yeah, it's definitely try. They went over and over and again with the captain's challenge. They're just they are taking too long. I think we need a maximum time limit. And if you can't make a decision in that, I don't know. Is it a minute, is it ninety seconds, whatever it is, you go back to the refs call because there were way too many stoppages and challenges. The other side of that is I don't think the referee, you know, it was the reason that Warrington lost Warrington. I think it was fearless early On dropped the ball on his own line and whole car score off the next set.
Speaker 2: Then James Bentley had an absolute.
Speaker 3: He lost his head, basically gave way a penalty where he attacked Michael Lewis, and he gave away about three more penalties. I was actually stune that they didn't take him off because he was he was a liability and then whole Out scored off another one of those penalties. So early on, Warrington were their own worst enemy. I don't think whole Kre were what the score suggested, that far ahead of Warrenton, even though Warrington's attack didn't really land many punches. But Warrington, sorry, just made a lot of mistakes and handed huge opportunities.
Speaker 2: Which they gleefully took.
Speaker 3: But the Captain's challenge, You're watching NRL and obviously they've got the million dollar bunker and way more cameras and everything. Is you know, it's not perfect, is it? Because people in the NRL claim, but it's more seamless, in superated. The Captain's challenge hasn't been fantastic, but I think we can improve what we've got and maybe that's.
Speaker 1: I don't want to talk about video refereeing because my football team, I think have been denied a chance at winning the lead by a video ref overnight. So in terms of coaches talking about it and blame, they often do that to deflect because somebody like Sam Burgess was under pressure for his job not so long ago and getting to a cup final and winning said cup final would do an awful lot to alleviate that pressure that will still be there. I mean, just because they've won a few games so far, they actually haven't turned that into silverware yet, so the pressure will still be there and he'll be extremely disappointed and he would have just come out swinging in that interview. And that's basically what coaches do, that's why they do it. I mean, John's right that they do blame referees too much. I mean, I'm sure the referee didn't miss any tackles, drop any ball, but it's an age old thing that coaches come up with to get headlines. Look what the media jump on as soon as it's meant and so wwe again, mate, But our way of doing w w E is to is to blame blame the referee. Now we've got the final, Wigan and who k are. First of all, both sides have had not a seamless start to Super League. Kur start was a little bit ropie. Wiggans second half of the start was a little was very ropey. So this is going to kickstart their season. Just being in the final and then winning it would kick start again for the for the vanquished. I think Saint Helen's a real worry that they didn't score a point, Yes, a real worry, and they won't take kindly in Saint Helen's to that kind of score line and missing out to Wigan in such a fashion getting dominated quite frankly. And Warrington, I know they had injuries, but that pressure dial just gets turned up a bit again for sam Burgess because they did get to the final last year. So if you like, this is a little bit of regression and that's not going to go down too well in Warrington. And I think one of the things we've been saying about the Wolves is their biggest tests yet to come, their biggest tests yet to come, their biggest tests yet to come, and they have They've had a test and they failed the first one I think, so so or one of the first ones. So yeah, that's that that's going to take some soul searching this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 3: Look, I think you know Warrington today Karl Ray was off injured and I think they missed what you know to be speed and what it can bring from fullback George Williams. Now, it's my understanding he hasn't had his operation yet, but it's either a three month or a five month recovery. So we won't play again for Warrington this season. I don't think you'll make the World Cup. And I think when you take out a player of George William's ability, particularly today you and Irwin is still learning. And it was all Mark Steed and it was quite predictable Warrington's attack and they covered Danny Walker quite well, so they didn't really have many attacking options. They didn't really you know, create much and I think that could be a concern going forward. And then maybe on the Kiss of Death. But I was I was wrapping Albert Hoppawidi and Josh Smith to to someone at Warrington yesterday and they both had very tough days.
Speaker 1: You were wrapping him on this podcast last week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you know you got to wrap the mainly Sat Augustine boys, don't you. But yeah, it was they So look, it's going to be it's going to be difficult for Orangton, yeah, because I think they haven't been you know, we were one of the top teams so far this season. But that was a comprehensive loss. And just talking briefly about Wigan, I mean a massive game this Friday leads and Wigan Leeds go away to Wigan. Leeds, having had a week off and pretty much at full fitness, will warrant at Wigan still without Bed and French without Marshall Miski, but you know, with a lot of other fit players. But that's that's going to be a hell of a game, isn't it Because I think if you know, Leeds have beaten the whole Car, they've beaten Warrington, have beaten some heavens, that's the next big step for Leeds to show.
Speaker 2: Okay, we are obviously.
Speaker 3: They're out of cup, well out of cup, but you know we can we can get to Old Trafford and we can win this competition.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we get a whole car who have met what the last two Grand finals.
Speaker 3: It should be a good game at won't we And again I don't think it'll be a high scoring, open end game, but I think it'll be very physical, will be very tight, and it will be you know, it will be brutal.
Speaker 1: Somebody did ask a question at the end, so I try and link this one now. It was basically asking about Willie Peters place in the coaching pantheon, Where's it going?
Speaker 2: Where's it gone? This question?
Speaker 1: It was Dave Dave Campbell three two ninety seven one. He said, where does really Willie Peters rank among super League coaches? And I assume he means all time there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I don't know if he's just talking you know, in the history of super League or the history of Whole Car or history of the UK game.
Speaker 2: But if you if you look at Whole.
Speaker 3: Care, is surely one of the greatest coaches Whole Car has ever had, if you look in super League, yeah, I mean I think it's his fourth year. So he's got them to a few Challenge Cup finals obviously one travel last year. Well they want to they want to drop control. I can't speak if they've won four trophies in a row because they made the Broncos and the World Cup Challenge. Now he's got when we again, Yeah, he's done a fantastic job. Look, they weren't you know, he's he's helped turn them into a top club and they weren't for since the eighties, since since Lee was in nappies back in the Roger Millwood days and what eighty four, eighty five, eighty six, So.
Speaker 1: I wasn't in nappies when I was eight years old mate, I don't think so. Sorry, I thought you were younger young seven six. Yeah, the skin you're just so useful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he'll go down as one of the greatest coaches in Super League history, definitely. I mean, we don't know what he will could have achieved if he stay. If he's staying longer, he's going to PNG. But yeah, he's he's done a phenomenal job, and yeah, he deserves a lot of praise.
Speaker 1: And also where the club came from, I mean I do, I do stand by it. I think Tony Smith did a lot of the heavy lifting at the start of the re the rehashing of the club, but Willie Peters put the other ingredients in from the icing and put it in the oven for a bit. Plankton apple O nine one three or six one six said, how overrated is Jack Wellsby? So we're back to say Elbans again and then we'll wrap up semi finals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he had a very tough, tough game, tough day on Saturday. Look, he's only I think it's it's his second game back playing in the halves. He's been moved around. Yeah, it obviously had a tough season last year. In particularly very tough ashes. I don't based on the ashes. I mean he's got a lot to learn, He's got an awful lot tok. Yeah, I think, Look, I don't. I don't know if he's overrated. It depends probably where you rank him. But you know, I think he should be playing at fullback. I think that's his best position. You know, I don't think Tristan Saler, well, Tristan Saler can be very good in attack. I think there's other facets of his game which you know are not there, particularly defense.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: Look, I think Wells with more game time, whether he's rushed back from his injury, I don't know, but I think, you know, he can get back to his best and looks and Hounds will need him to get back to his best if they're are going to give the competition a shake in September.
Speaker 1: One thing I've learned in coaching and in the game and in sport, John is when somebody gets in form for six months, twelve months, and all of a sudden, the headlines start, or it can even be in the in the community game. It can just be the pats on the back, the praise, et cetera. Players can go one of two ways, and they either stay humble and shut out all that noise and want to get even better because they want more of this, or they enjoy it a little bit too much and it's only find Margins, John, find Margins. They enjoy it a little bit too much, start believing in their own publicity. Also, it can be a sense of achievement. Now I'm not going to talk any more about any rugby league players apart from Reese Walsh in Australia because he basically had one great six months, had a bad year, had a great final series last year and then he's had a bit of a scratchy start to this year. So he's somebody who's wrestling with that. But we can look at somebody like Jack Grealish that in football achieved the Treble while he was at Man City, seemed to party a little bit harder than everyone else, and there's not been the same player since. We can look at somebody like or some people like some members of the England cricket team. When they won the Ashes in five first time in twenty years, it was an achievement that they'd probably spent a lifetime to get to Tyson Fury after he beat Klitchko. And once they've got to that certain, that certain peak, whatever their perceived peak is.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 1: Some sports people are very good at compartmentalizing that and moving on and getting to a level far to far more start to think job done and then and then they drop off. And look, I'm talking from experience here too. When I was a kid playing rugby league, I said to myself, I'd love to represent my nation in rugby league and I wouldn't mind playing for a little bit of professional As soon as I achieved that, I definitely had a sense of achievement and I didn't really want. I wouldn't say I wanted. I didn't want to do it anymore, but there was an edge gone straight away because that's all I set for myself. Yeah, so if I've set myself the goal of winning five Clive Churchill Medals, then I could still be going now for it.
Speaker 2: But so so.
Speaker 1: Wellsby could be getting a little bit of that and dealing with a little bit of that, and a lot of that depends on his mentors, his coaches how they're dealing with that too. So very very interesting some news items, and we're just going to talk about North Wales every week because they well they've been on life support, haven't they.
Speaker 2: Well the life support was pulled this week.
Speaker 3: Obviously, the old club went insolvent and then a new club was formed and the license was handed over to the new club just called North Wales Crusaders, with Jamie Elkala who was the former owner, running them, and they did manage to get a game on Saturday. They had some loans, well, a lot of loans from other clubs. But yeah, so effectively the old club is dead and a new club is RISI's place now. It's obviously going to be difficult for all the people who are owned money by the old club, but for the actual fans of the club, this is very good news because they actually have a team to support, and you know, I think Jamie you know, wants to you know, he's putting his money and he wants to keep the club going. He wants to give the area something they play out of, and you know, it seems quite a positive part of what's been an absolute nightmare and you know, a circus shall we say that that's gone on at the RFL's.
Speaker 2: Lead on as well?
Speaker 1: Shall they play next week?
Speaker 3: Yes, I believe though you know they I think part of the problem is most of their players, because they were getting unpaid, have left to join other clubs, which they're perfectly entitled to do. But yeah, they're they're looking to play out the rest of the season and you know, build from there. So look, I think it's important that we have a semi professional club in Wales, anywhere in Wales. But you know, as I said, you know that the supporters have been treated terribly and ripped off by the old owners, so you know, this is I think this is definitely a positive. But much like what happened at Salford and Fenston, there's still so many questions and answered about how this happened, why it happened, what did or didn't the RFL did, How can we learned from this situation?
Speaker 1: You know, you know, the cynic in me John and the business person is thinking maybe maybe potentially some business people are thinking, I could invest in a local club that means a lot to people, that will ignore the fact that if it goes insolvent and gets reborn again, it won't be that big an issue, and then some debts can disappear.
Speaker 3: Well, look, I think I think certainly the egg Chaser group, you know that they've run up a lot of debt. Maybe that I mean, I don't know, maybe that was the plan all along. There's certainly people who think that because in certain amount of more than fifty people who claiming that they owe the money.
Speaker 1: You see many, many billionaires. One of the critiques of them is they say, oh, he's been bankrupt sixteen times. No, the billionaire hasn't been bankrupt. The businesses they've owned have gone bankrupt and they've just started a new business and once becomes bankrupt depending on the way you structure it tax wise. It's not the person that owes anybody money, it's the business.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and personally, I mean, I'm not a finance expert. I'm not a.
Speaker 3: Business expert, but I think that's a real flaw on the system that how people can just start up companies, run up debts, you know, yeah, and walk away or seemilarly walk away with no responsibility.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I think that's I mean, that's a horrible way to operate.
Speaker 3: And I'd like to think calm, I guess those people in the end, but you lore right, Ali, And I think in professional sport we see a lot of that, not just in Rougue believe in other sports as well.
Speaker 2: A lot of this going on.
Speaker 1: There are rumors, there are rumors some big sports chains just don't pay bills to some of the big sports equipment providers and just keep changing the business names. And that's how that's how they you know that, and they know they know that as the as the suppliers sorry I should have said suppliers and the and the and the sports chains are the the provider to the public. They know they're needed by said companies. So the cycle just keeps going around. So yeah, Unfortunately, I think this sometimes happens in sports clubs. Look the Glazers took over Manchester United with debt.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, Look, I think I think at the end of the day, from the Rougulay point of view is if you go you want to buy a club, they need to do they actually, I don't need to have a fit and proper person's test that you know, is serious, is real. They need to not just be like, oh well, I'll just google Lee Addison and they need to actually go out and okay, what's your business player, what are your projections? You know, how are you going to you know, maybe put arson them to put up a bond of X amount of money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if they, if they, if they paid the bond to the RFL, a significant bond, that would tell you what you need to know about their finances. Well, and that bond could save the club when they.
Speaker 3: Exactly Yeah, and when they stop paying people players tumble them and say where are money? They need to do something about it and not just look the other way. And that's what they keep doing.
Speaker 4: As I said, So for Deatherston Mtal Attrician, North Wales, Toronto, you know, like natural Attrician, and they're turning a blind eye for a reason. And on that subject, there's some changes in the RFL.
Speaker 1: John.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So this is the story I broke during the week about Rob Graham. Obviously I don't remember his exact title, but he was on the board last year. He's the director of the RFL and got removed out of company's house, which was interesting. He still works for the RFO, I believe, still waiting for a comment from them that I think Christmas will probably come sooner. But there is some speculation that him coming off the as a director is part of the desire from the NRL to have independent governance, so you know, not the same people on all the same boards.
Speaker 1: So see all interviews that are going to the second interview.
Speaker 3: Yes, I believe, Yeah, I think I think it was the I think it was six or seven candidates.
Speaker 2: Were were out there.
Speaker 3: Only one was the Strain, which is Tony Mestrov and there isn't really I haven't heard any chat about who those other candidates are. I believe there is some from other sports, but yeah, you would think with what's happening with the NRL and the talks, and obviously with the TV deal as well, it'd be an interesting I don't know if it's a wise time to be appointing a new RFL CEO amongst all this, because obviously if the NRL deal comes off, they're going to have to set up an interminute independent commission, and I imagine the RFL would want an endpoint. Okay, who's your chairman, who's your CEO? Who sits on this board? So yeah, it's it's an interesting time for he caam mckinnis or FC discourse. Yeah, not just Holoc so I believe York have also expressed an interest in signing him. So he won't be getting he won't be staying at Cronola, cam In Kem Mcinness and Perth have labeled sorry, I have offered him a big deal, but there's also genuine interest from Super again. I think I think he's a fantastic but I think he's thirty.
Speaker 1: Two years thirty three next year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tough as nails. He's got a face only a mother of good love. But I think he'd be a great pro in Super League and a kind of you know, his career, his leadership. I think like much like Damian Cook, like I think, you know, on and off the field, he could he could really help build a build a culture. So yeah, I mean I think if you're perthy, you're definitely going in all in for him because he's probably the biggest name if they get him, the biggest name that they've signed. But I think if you Hillo se adds a lot, and he adds that he would add a lot to York. So yeah, to wait and see what he desires. I think probably his first preference is to stay in the NRL, but maybe he fancies love Fancy's Lovely Yorkshire over you know, Corslow Beach.
Speaker 1: Or what's the American what's the American football league called Soccer League.
Speaker 2: The MLS, the Major.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these some of these signings are smacking of that Lionel Messi going over at forty eight years old and whatnot. And to be fair to old editor Martin Sadler of League Express, he's been saying for years that Super League should try and follow that model, so maybe some of that is taking off. Tyson Smoothie is home single.
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 3: I broke the story during the week, had heard about it for a while, tried to stand it up as best I could. Now, I don't know whether Tyson I believe it's you know, his family are homesick. I think he's just had a second cholt. His partner's just had a second child recently. I don't know whether he will see out the season or he could go earlier than that, but he does have He's only the start of a three year deal. So it's a blow for Wakefield because I think he's been very good.
Speaker 2: He left no, no.
Speaker 3: No, he's still He's still in the UK now, he's still with Wakefield, only joined obviously the end of last season.
Speaker 2: You know, he's a very good player.
Speaker 3: I think he's a Grand final when the last year played in two in her own grand finals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's only twenty six. Look it's from Tawamba and I was into Wumba yesterday and trust me, the weather is similar to Wakefield right now, Tyson, I understand homesickness and I'm quite qualified to talk about it because where I live as that's right. Look, I don't I don't know his personal circumstances at all, and obviously a baby makes things more difficult. But if he can just dig until the end of the year, which isn't that far away really when you think about it, it's it's only a few months, he can keep himself busy playing rugby league. And I always remember what my old man said to me when I left for Australia, said you can always come back lad, right, And you know I've dealt with several players that have been homesick in the past. I remember having some very deep and meaningfuls with Ronaldo Mulatalo when he he first moved to Cronulla, and I was very nice to him. I said, mate, if you come back to Brisbane, I'll kick your arse all the way back to Cronulla. So look, I totally get it. You get it. Yeah, I just hope it works out for him and all all parties can be happy. Quite frankly, Yeah, definitely a Man of Steel shortlist. Talk to me about that. Yes, I'm just trying to remember off the top of my head. So I've got I think Lachlan Miller was number one.
Speaker 2: Who else?
Speaker 3: Do we have Tyrone May, who's obviously been very very good, we.
Speaker 1: Have Locky Miller, I've got it coming up now, super League website. It's a bit slow though, Locky Miller, Jesse Litton, Tyron May, Brodie Croft, Daryl Clark.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the one. Look, I think that's a fair short list.
Speaker 3: I think Jake Corners probably unlucky not to be in there.
Speaker 2: I think he's been very very good.
Speaker 3: And I think Mikey Lewis maybe had a slow start of the season, but he's been electric in recent weeks. So yeah, I think. You know, they've obviously changed the panel around with Manor Steel. I don't get previously. You know, particularly when you look at the panel that's there, You've got Ellery Hanley, Paul Sculthorpe and Tonkin's, James Roby, Joe Lyden, you know, when you had people saying, I don't care who wins Man of Steel, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's kind of laughable. I've just looked at it.
Speaker 1: I've just looked at the website and it said there's a new show called Man of Steel the Shortlist something.
Speaker 2: I watched it.
Speaker 1: Well, I've just tried it on YouTube and I ended up with a Superman video.
Speaker 2: I think you can I don't know if it's on YouTube.
Speaker 3: You can go to the super League Plus website and you can watch it for free.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how much of this is a response to what Sean Wayne said that end of last year. Much of this is reactive?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's a response to to that. Personally, I think I think they're always going to overhaul the system. I think I think it's disappointing that someone would disrespect the Man of Steel and the dream to you know, I don't think generally, you know, Kevin Maltus would have come out or I don't care who wins Dally m.
Speaker 2: You know, prior of the year doesn't matter in me. You know, I don't think that really washing it.
Speaker 1: I can't ever recall an Australian coach saying that about you know, I know the Daly m winner sometimes hasn't been picked in origin or whatever it may be. And what a coach always does is talk positively about that player and say things like you just missed out because I believe you know that that tends to be what happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Look, I.
Speaker 3: Think I think they're all you know, worthy kendidates in their short list. Obviously, what we're eleven rounds or so in, there's plenty of footy to be played.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, it'll be interesting to see who comes with it.
Speaker 3: You know, there's obviously a couple of Whole Car players on there, a couple of Leagues players Daryl Clarkson. Yeah, and I think probably Danny Walker, Connor and Lewis are probably the ones nipping at our heels, you know, for to be in amongst that top five.
Speaker 1: Tyler Dupree, what's are you doing?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: He's gone to Cass so he was on loan to lose from Wigan. But the story that I've broken on well, which I think is quite interesting, is that Leeds went hard for him but he decided to go to Cass instead. Now, the funny thing is that the pre came through the Leeds academy and they released him I think it was in twenty twenty without playing a game for Leeds, a senior game, and.
Speaker 2: He went off to.
Speaker 3: I think it was Oldham first. Oldham were witnessed and then Saltford picked him up and he did really well at Salford and then Wigan came in for you know, paid money for him, signed him. He won a load of trophies at Wigan, but then he's fallen out of favorite Wigan and now he's off to Cast. But I think it's just interesting. Leeds, you know, obviously wanted a front rower. You know, he's played, he's played for England. Tyler Aleski's going to Perth the end of the year. He would be quite a handy replacement for him. But it's just interesting. I think with Cast they've made you know, we've talked about Damian Cook, Robbie Mulheerns going there as well. I think they've been linked with Matt Fagui from Saint Georgia Lawara. So they're making some moves Cast in the transfermaker. They just basically need a six and a seven, but they've got a they've got a front row walker and two props.
Speaker 2: I think definitely better than what they've got now.
Speaker 1: Witness of moved a fixture.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is a weird one.
Speaker 3: A lot of people were going w t E f So basically with Witness of playing Newcastle Thunder and the ninety five Cup next weekend and they're going to play at Robin Park, which is the training ground that we can play, that we can train at, which is next to the Brick Community Stadium. Now you might be asking why is Witness playing a home game at Wigan, But essentially their stadium, the Holton Stadium is owned by the Witness Council, the local council, and they've got a wedding fair on so they're going to play twenty odd miles away in Wigan, which.
Speaker 2: A lot of people which are what the hell. Yes, it's a weird one.
Speaker 3: I think it's Look, it's difficult if you don't own your own stadium, you can't determine when you use it. But I think it's another indication of you know where rugby league sits.
Speaker 2: Isn't it. We don't really have bull Cloud And.
Speaker 3: To all fairness to Newcastle and to Witness that game isn't going to get a crowd, you know. I think Witness probably these days are averaging around two thousand, maybe maybe a bit more for some of their bigger championship games. But Newcastle isn't a isn't a big game, and neither CAP games. We don't even know where the final is going to be played, so it's not a I don't think they've got a sponsor this year reader, so it's not a competition.
Speaker 2: It's really high profile or valued by a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Great stuff. Nikola Jane Lawson asked me actually make for my opinion on Jack Simfield playing with a fractured Sternham for Wakefield. I think, as we know, there's an awful lot of subculture and rugby league that praises the player that goes uninjured. There's also now this thing called player welfare, so so there's a mix now in terms of fractured Sternhams. I remember I played with one for three years I think, and a fracture can be one millimeter or it can be quite significant. To me, a fracture isn't a full break, so so the story could have been there could have been a little bit of vat put on the story put it that way, okay, But Nicholas right to be concerned about it because we talk about player welfare all the time and we've got to Rugby league's a bit silly like this. We're a sport that's obsessed with its image in terms of taking people's heads off and stuff because because we have a participation thing to think about as well. Yet we're happy for things like that to leak out as well. So I think I understand why she's asking that question quite frankly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's a difficult one.
Speaker 3: I don't think you want to see players playing with serious injury.
Speaker 2: You don't want to see anyone get hurt.
Speaker 3: But as you said, it's like, you know, Johnny Sadler in the Grand Fall or Scott Sorry, Sam Burgess in the Grand Final. We lionize players who played off and play hurt. But yeah, you do wonder how how bad was this injury and what was the changes? How much could have been made worse by playing? Yeah, it's it's it's an odd one and hopefully Jacks o'kay makes a full recovery and gets back on the field too.
Speaker 1: Mark Williamson asked for fun the NRL and Super League club's partner up. Who goes with who? The perennial it's our year clubs, the too sensitive about our stadium facilities clubs, the outlandish animal print wearing gowner clubs. Must be some very good matches between the countries, so let's go. Let's go quickly through some of the categories. So the perennial it's our year clubs, that would be well, it would have been broad goals until last year. Paramatta seems to suffer from that too, there saying that Warrington, isn't it. Yeah, the too sensitive about our stadium facilities clubs, Cronulla Tigers, Tigers.
Speaker 2: Like our probably probably mainly Yeah, the.
Speaker 1: Out the outlandish animal print wearing owner clubs, well that's Lee in England, and then it's probably Tigers, and well the Raiders do some funny things with their jerseys as well.
Speaker 2: I think, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think more if he means more what they do with their jerseys or mean the controversial owners. I think one of the differences in in Australia. I mean, you might be able to correct me here, Lee, but I can't think of an n R OL club that's kind of particularly flamboyant out their.
Speaker 2: Media hungary ego maniac ConA.
Speaker 1: I mean you could say that's quite a specific category of only you've come. Yeah, I mean you could you could say, you know, Russell Crowe is obviously high profile, but I think particularly these days, he he does you know.
Speaker 2: He keeps a pretty low profile. Russell. He's not also the sole owner of SUS That needs to be said.
Speaker 3: But there's not really a Marvin Kukash or a Bill Quinn or.
Speaker 1: The well. The two closest characters would be somebody like Phil Gould who's not a club owner, and Peter lad who's not a club owoner. No, who have trumpy and style. Yeah, approaches to things in terms of SoundBite, but.
Speaker 3: They're not Well, that's actually the best the worst worm I can think of. And he was an absolute fraud, and that was Nathan Tinkler and obviously doesn't own the Knights and hasn't for a while, but he was Yeah, I mean he ran that club into the ground and he was tapping up what was a Cade Snowden when he was at Cronulla, flying away Bennett in and out on his helicopter or is rented helicopter that he probably never paid for.
Speaker 2: But yeah he did last long with the NRL.
Speaker 3: Did the old teams now running up debts all throughout Newcastle on the Hunter?
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, so yeah, so there's there's your there's your there's your match there hoy the twenty third neat why do Huddersfield not have forty twenty red markings like all the pictures do not least the red pain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've not asked them specifically, I'd probably imagine because the but yeah it's owned by Huddersfield Town and yeah, they don't really have privacy of tenure anymore or even equal shots. So Haddersfield Town, I think want them, want them out.
Speaker 1: So yeah, the forbidden game, the forbidden game, the rugby League two at the Rugby League too? On x IF and when the NRL takes over, do we need to use current players to explain RL jargon for new viewers? I thought today that I wouldn't have a clue why teams would box kick if I was a casual viewer. Imagine George Williams explaining this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, look, I think it's a really interesting point because obviously John Wells, back before we had every game Live used to do fantastic analysis, you know, with his with his board with you know, one of the players that come off of the game and they go through certain players and you get fantastic insight from players about why they did this or why they did that in that moment. And it is a fair point because unless you were a rust on rugby league person who's either played or watched the game closely for decades, you might not necessarily know all the jargon or about why things are happening, or you know what the comments are talking about. So maybe that's something we need to be looking at. We need to sometimes present or have someone there who can present it in more of a layman's terminology.
Speaker 1: I think I think a lot of rugby league fans don't understand some of it, quite frankly.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, you can throw, you know, you can talk about good ball areas and HD and middles and all that, and I'm sure there's a lot of people who are just saying, what the hell are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Jordan Melling wrote to us, or wrote to me high Lee podcast listener here, John mentioned that touch in England is ran by the RF. You it's ran by the England Touch Association. Both codes have dabbled with being a part of Touch in the UK, but nothing in the way of total control has ever happened. Both codes run their own versions of Touch and as an international Touch player for the past twenty years, they have been done poorly and in the league's version, all they are after is to tick a box. I helped run Wig and Touch Club and Wig and Warriors community team. I wanted to be part of it and help run Touch with them. They seem to have no notion of what they wanted from it, and that was its own sport. Reck that Touch is much more similar to League. The RFL needs to do a lot of things better, but quick win would be developing a strong ref relationship with the ETA. I don't know who the ETA is and hold something similar to what the NRL do with Touch clubs in OZ inclusion player pathways, skill development and participation surely is an easy win here. Some of the most skillful players of all time have a Touch background Benji kle and Ponger, Sean Johnson to name but a few.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ETA is the England touchessation. I probably didn't expand myself very well it's not owned by the r few, but the rfew has kind of dominated touch in the sense that I've gone down and played with a mate who I'm trying to think. It's Dali Shway in London and it's all, you know, fifty sixty people on a Saturday morning and it's all rugby union people or rugby union players, and I seem to have a bigger Rugby union seems to have a bigger influence over touch, which is effectively rugby league without tackling and kicking in England than it does in Australia or New Zealand. So I think the RFU, sorry the RFL, should be trying to actually instead of trying to set up a rival touch thing, they need to be effectively buying or acquiring the English Touch Associate, bringing it under their administration, which is what the NRL did. I don't know, was it ten years ago. I'm not sure exactly, but you know, you can use touch. I'm thinking about touches and I played played in Australia, I've played in England, I've played in Singapore. You can use it as not only a way to teach kids how to play the game, you know, how to catch pass. You know, have simple things moves the defense and you introduce the contact later. So it's a safer way you can play. You know, boys and girls together, you can play you know, the sexes by their own. But you can only use it as a participation tool. But you can also use it for the old or the people who don't want you know, one hundred and twenty curly ground Polynesian running at them at full pen like myself, or people who are old and unfit to play as a social thing.
Speaker 1: One hundred and twenty that's light.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you can use it, I think as as you know, a variant of the game to get people active, get them playing, but you know, to show a love of the game. And there's so many players in not only in Super League, but then in the hour well look Bevan French Dryfield, like all the you know, their skills that they've they've picked up from playing Touch, you know.
Speaker 1: I I think the NRL is like Touch now anyway, with all the tries that are coming in. You can argue that on that subject, the dogs are really in trouble. Snowm had a big win yesterday, but I think the story there's two stories there. Number one, that was their first game at home since Craig bellam Is diagnosis. But the second thing is when Tigers now have fallen off of cliff in the last two weeks. The last two weeks Mate lost fifty two ten to Cronuller im forty four to sixteen to Melbourne.
Speaker 2: This week.
Speaker 1: I wrote an article for the praising them in zero Tackle and since then they've been dog Tannan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's obviously it's good for Melbourne to to end their slamp and have such a resenting woe. But yeah, shame to see the Tigers drop off the dogs. Obviously they were ahead. I watched a fair bit of that game, they were heard quite a bit and then they just completely went to pot again. But the biggest result, of course would be the fantastic Seagulls.
Speaker 1: Against Anyway, moving on, so tips for next week John quicktips Huddersfield plays Saints on Thursday. I got to be honest, I think this is a bit tough on Saints playing on a Thursday after a Cup game on a Saturday, And yeah, I thought that was that was a bit poor scheduling quite frankly, But how does Field hold Saint Helens, even though the hardest w.
Speaker 2: Have the buyer, I'd have to go for some Helens.
Speaker 1: Friday, Wakefield play Catalants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll be at this game at Wakefield by a fair motion.
Speaker 1: Wigan play leads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's the game in a round. Look, I think that's.
Speaker 3: It's hard to call because I think Leeds having the break a week off pretty much a full fitness wig and you know they'll be eladed.
Speaker 2: But it was a very tough game on Saturday.
Speaker 3: But they're at home, so yeah, I think I think maybe Leeds can can get a win here.
Speaker 2: But I'm really looking forward to that.
Speaker 3: I think it should be a really really good game Saturday.
Speaker 1: York play Castleford.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tough, tough one to call again, I mean cas, we're dreadful. In their last game York had to win two weeks again to lose and then I think it was sinn Alnds I lost to. I might yeah, I think I think maybe York in this one.
Speaker 1: To lose in Warrington.
Speaker 3: Again to lose, big big shock over half c did not see that one coming, but I think Warrington.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Warrington have got to travel Lee Lee. According to my notes of playing hill KR, but I think I meant hill KR.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look Lea on the way back, aren't they They've won a few on the bounds there.
Speaker 2: Yeah again, you know you put a whole k R.
Speaker 3: I think they've won six in a row now might be seven, but I think, you know, Leo, I've got a really good chance of this one.
Speaker 1: And then someday Bradford host.
Speaker 3: Yeah again, I mean Bradford struggling for players, truggling to get players that you have enough fit players to to take the field, and then you've got a halo of c who thrashcass and then we're dreadful against Toulouse and obviously the coach has gone, so.
Speaker 2: It's hard to know what the form line is going to at all.
Speaker 1: Well, me and John didn't didn't talk beforehand about which after the hooter we're doing, so I'm sure we'll do that after we've stopped the recording because there might be a discussion to be had. So anyway, you'll get an after the hoot, no doubt, later this week. If not, you'll hear from us next Monday. Where can people get you, John?
Speaker 3: They can get me on Patreon and Rugby League AAP dot com long read. They can get me on Instagram at Shohnny d Davidson r L, Facebook, John Davidson Journalism X Johnny D Davidson.
Speaker 1: At Rugby League Coach for me admin at Rugby League Coach dot com. To tay you is the email at rugbyley Coach dot com. To tay you is the website. Take care, We'll what you say.