Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith.
Speaker 1: I'm doctor Karen Stolsner.
Speaker 2: Since we started doing this show, I've received so many kind and thoughtful messages from listeners who say that they find Monster Talk to be a rock in a stormy sea. We've been told that our show has helped folk through real rough times, and if that's true for you, we're glad to have been of any help. Life is precious, Your life, your neighbors, your friends, your family. We're all in this amazing connected network and precariously placed in what appears to be a cold and uncaring universe. It's important for us to look out for each other. This introduction has nothing to do with monsters, I suppose, but I just wanted to say thanks to you listeners as well, your messages, your notes, tweets, retweets, reviews on iTunes, your comments on Facebook, all the ways that you share this show with others, and your thoughts about the show with me and Karen.
Speaker 3: They're all deeply appreciated.
Speaker 2: Twenty sixteen's been a heck of a year, with many ups and downs and many downs, but I've got a few more things lined up for you before we end this year, and I wanted to say that in my mind, we're a family. I want to say thank you to my fellow Monster talkers. In a time when the media is calling this a post truth world, it's more important than ever to remember that fact checking is not a part as an ideal. We can't rely on Google and Facebook.
Speaker 3: To point out nonsense.
Speaker 2: Each of us has to be responsible for learning critical thinking and teaching other people as well. And if we don't, who will. I've got more to say on that, but not right here and not right now. For now, let's put those worries behind us and talk about a lake in Scotland that some say is the home to a mysterious monster. No, not that lake in Scotland, not the one in the theme song, a different one. It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before. A giant, hairy preacher in part Ape part Mass.
Speaker 4: In Larkness twenty four, a mile long, bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland. It's a creature known as the Luckless Monster.
Speaker 3: Monstert Okay, as is frequently the case.
Speaker 2: As we get near the end of the year, I find that I have to cut to the chase instead of giving you all the cool background info I want to before the show. In this episode, we have the return of Mike Dash, one of my favorite forty and researchers and the author of the very fine book Borderlands, which I'll link to in the show notes.
Speaker 3: I hope you enjoy our little monster.
Speaker 2: If you were giving yourself a brief bio, how would you introduce yourself?
Speaker 4: Me? My golly.
Speaker 5: I've been associated with fourteen time since the early nineteen eighties. Background as a historian, those two things probably come together quite helpfully when it comes to researching stories of this sort.
Speaker 2: And what's you're doing? You write for National Geographic? Am I remembering that right? Smithsonian?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: See, I might remembering that right?
Speaker 1: Cool?
Speaker 3: But I love your articles.
Speaker 2: They're so in depth in a time when people are always looking for like click bait listical sound bites. Yeah, You're You're writing always goes deeper and has lots of citations in it.
Speaker 3: It's just a it's just fun to read.
Speaker 1: And is it about important but obscure topics as well?
Speaker 4: Just obscure?
Speaker 5: I would say, well, you could claim you could claim some importance for some of it. Mostly it's just interesting and obscure stuff, and the more obscure is the better.
Speaker 4: I tend to like it.
Speaker 5: And certainly I don't do sandbites because most of them are kind of eight thousand words long or something.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 5: Actually, tomorrow my main target is I have to write an article for the Encyclopedia of Toxicology, because it turns out I'm the only person who knows anything about an obscure poisoning scale. It took place in Rome in the sixteen fifties, and that's a typical example the sort of thing I researched.
Speaker 3: Actually, wow, that's neat.
Speaker 1: So where do you do your research?
Speaker 5: Oh well, I thought this is a good thing about living in London. I mean, British Library is my second home really, and that has a pretty awesome collection.
Speaker 2: I say, you lucky bear, dude, you can. Yes, I'm very envious. That's I think I've meant. I don't know if I've said it on the show before, but I've mentioned to my wife I'd love to go to England. But even if I were going to go for like a week to just London, I would need two weeks because half of that time, I would like to go to libraries and museums, and then it was right right, so you know the other half, I'd want to go see the things that tourists see. But I really there's so many undigitized opportunities there.
Speaker 3: For the researcher.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that's so true.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess we should get to the questioning where were you on the night? No, so we're going to talk about a lake monster or a loch monster in this case when when that some of our listeners will have heard about and one that many will not have heard about. This is the Locke Morare creature known as well. It looks like more rag, but it's it's not more ag.
Speaker 5: Well, it's a it's a Gaelic word. I mean, we would pronounce it moag and Morag is now a fairly familiar Scottish girl's name actually, but the correct Gaelic pronunciation is vorak.
Speaker 3: That doesn't seem just like the munty python thing.
Speaker 2: It's it's a spelled luxury yacht, but it's pronounced throat main ground right there.
Speaker 5: That's it typically British if you like, And obviously Vorak is probably not the most feminine standing name you could imagine either, but.
Speaker 1: No, it seems like a Viking name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's fascinating. Do you know what does it mean?
Speaker 5: Well, one of the early sources I found on this translates it as Little Sarah, which I suspect is almost certainly wrong, but we can go with that if you like.
Speaker 2: It's build Sarah, but it's pronounced Rabulian.
Speaker 1: So where is this?
Speaker 5: This Lockmoer Lockmore is on the west coast of Scotland, so I mean, if people maybe think in terms of it's a relationship to Lockness, which is obviously the thing that most people end up comparing it to. It is around about sixty or seventy miles to the west of Lockness, on right against the coast, just south of the Isle of Sky. So this is an area's got them known as the rough Bounds because it's by far the most inaccessible part of the Scottish Highlands, which in themselves are fairly well known for being pretty inaccessible. So this is one of the interesting things about it. I mean a couple of things apply therefore. I mean, firstly, it has quite a significant local folk law tradition which is quite unique to it. And secondly, and This is the key thing I think that you have to bear in mind about lockmow Are compared to Lockness. I mean, this whole point about Lockness, and the reason why the Lockness monster sories got into the papers in the first place, back in nineteen thirty three, when the story really to all intents and purposes begins, is that, you know, there was work going on creating a new road along the side of the lock So it's now actually possible to drive pretty much the whole length of Lockness, and I mean, although some trees are grown up so you can't see late the whole time. Essentially it's extremely close to civilization and indeed only sort of four or five miles south of Inverness, which is the capital city of the Highlands, so it's you know, one of the problems one has been thinking about Lockness as the possible home of an actual animal or set of animals is how the hell does it hide? Because literally thousands of people are driving up and down this road seeing quite wide expanses of lake now Loch More, as I say, is a lot more isolated than that. They're only about a quarter of the surface. Has anybody overlooking it at all? I mean it's almost entirely uninhabited in that thanks to the higher than clearances, which was when in the eighteen hundred landlords cleared a lot of the land of tenants so they could re establish the land as deer forest, in other words, just for sort of hunting and stalking purposes, which was considered to be more profitable. So a large part of the population that existed on Lockmow at that time left. Most of them went to Canada, where interestingly a lot of the local folklore kind of repeats itself as a result. So in fact that there's a one road that goes along two miles of the north throough Lockermower Up, which is an eleven mile long lock and the rest of it is essentially completely uninhabited. So a lot of things could be going on out there that we simply wouldn't know about. And in terms of it being a credible habitat for an actual animal, I mean, we can go on to whether or not this is translating to yes, there is an actual animal there later on.
Speaker 4: There are many things that go for it.
Speaker 5: I mean not only the isolation, but the fact that the other thing that lockness is, you know, relatively famous for is that the waters are almost entirely impenetrably black because of the huge number of peat particles washed down from surrounding hillsides. So you can put your you know, I mean, you can swim in Lockness and look down at your feet and you won't see them because it's so black. So aside from that making it a sort of spooky, weird place, it also means that there's very very little in the way of fish life in Lockness, whereas Lochmar is completely clear, pure water and you can see down forty to fifty feet quite easily, and as a result it has a much more substantial food chain. So there are a couple of quite major differences that one would want to point to in terms of isolation and the biomass as well.
Speaker 1: Does anyone ever swim in Lockness?
Speaker 4: It's pretty and cold.
Speaker 5: I spent a couple of time in the in the eighties working with the Lockness and Moile Project thing run by a guy called Adrian Shine, which is the main sort of investigative Strokes scientific group looking into that area, and it was way too cold for me to want swimmon it. And the same applies to Lockmore as well. I mean, you know, the very the top couple of feet in the hot summer would warm up and everything else would be pretty chilly.
Speaker 2: I love Adrian's work, and he does have one of the most spectacular beards in cryptozoology.
Speaker 4: Makes even Charles Darwin looked like a bit of an antide.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he really does. I'd love to talk to him. But yeah, I've been I've been following his work since I was a kid. And yeah, in such a memorable character.
Speaker 3: So quick question.
Speaker 2: This is really covering on secretor but along the shore of likeness the there's the house that was owned by Alistair Crowley. Yeah, Jimmy Page, Well in Jimmy Page And is it bleskin or is it bullskin or how is that pronounced?
Speaker 4: Well, I've always said bileskin, but I could easily be wrong.
Speaker 2: Okay, You're probably more likely to be right than me. I mean, you know, so, I.
Speaker 3: I was just I was.
Speaker 2: I've just started reading about Crowley a little bit lately because I've become interested in the history of ritual magic and that that whole sort of nineteen twenties resurgence of paganistic sort of magical activity that happened in the UK and Europe in general, and so while I was reading about it, I saw that Bleskin had burned in twenty fifteen, and I think more than half the house was ruined, and I didn't know if they were going to put it back together or whatever. But it seems like a beautiful So not only was it a house where Crowley performed ritual magic, but it's also right there on the shore of Nest and I was like, how what a cool place.
Speaker 1: You know who.
Speaker 2: It's privately owned unless the insurance company took over, but I forget where the people were from, but it's a it's a family that owned it and they were away. They were it was like right around Christmas time twenty fifteen, and they left to go shopping or something, and then the house caught fire and by the time they got back.
Speaker 3: It was like, I say, more than fifty percent gone.
Speaker 2: It's really quite damaged and I'm not sure nobody was hurt, which is great, but and they don't think any sort of foul play or you know, it didn't seem to be deliberately set. But I don't know if there's any effort to restore it, because from what I've heard locally it's it's kind of a not a popular place because of all the legends about it. But anyway, not really a monster story, but I am interested in.
Speaker 3: It, so it may come up with another episode, you know.
Speaker 4: Well we need to look more story if yeah.
Speaker 2: You can. Again as I as I prefaced the question, non sequitur, right, sorry, so actual question, like morre you're on because there have been sidings of monsters, I guess we should start with what sort of sightings have been made and how far do these sightings go back?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, this is the thing that's interesting to me. I mean, I have to say I'm not really a cryptozoologist in this sense. I'm not really interested. I'm not very convinced at the you know, with the concepts of sort of real dinosaur like animals and any of these legs.
Speaker 4: But the interesting thing, the fascinating.
Speaker 5: Thing about Lockermore is that it's one of only there's probably maybe three lakes in the world where there's a sort of significant monster tradition that goes back before Lockness comes onto the scene in nineteen thirty three. The others might be Okanagan and here's my.
Speaker 4: Plantation going again.
Speaker 5: Canigan, I don't know, Inada in Canada and British Columbia and Lake Sturgeon in Sweden. Those are the only two others that I'm familiar with which have sort of substantial numbers of reports that go back before nineteen thirty three. And yeah, this is really important because Lockness made such a giant sort of splash in the news after nineteen thirty three that it sort of pollutes and tanks a whole of sort of lake monsters afterwards, and in terms of the types of things that are seen and then particularly the way in which you know, the Lockness monster type of animal, the sort of long neck, multi hunt dinosaur like animals sort of tends to become the default for lake monsters. So one of the interesting things about Lockmoer is that there's probably at least fifteen to twenty reports that we have that go back before nineteen thirty three. And it's will be worthwhile talking a little bit in a moment about you know, how those are sort of characterized and how they differ from Lockness. But I mean, overall, probably I guess we've got maybe nearly somewhere between seventeen and one hundred cases I've probably been reported from Lockmower overall. The earliest one goes back to about eighteen forty we think, So it's not not just a couple.
Speaker 3: That's a lie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: It is. And so from what I've read, it seems like some reports talk about a lake monster and others seem to talk about a mermaid. So do you think people are seeing the same creature or these different creatures.
Speaker 5: Well, I think that this is what we're probably seeing, I would say, is that the a legend coming into focus almost. I mean, you're right if you go back to the very beginning, the Lochomower monster, if we want to call it whatever we want to call it, is associated with sort of the deaths of members of a local clan. It's a it's something just seen as a sort of warning, a harbing go of something dreadful. It's going to happen to one of these guys. Normally they're going to die, or it's going to be a battle or something like that. And it's the guineas on McDonald, people of the northern shores of Lockermart specifically. So you get one group of reports which are sort of essentially seen as almost a funeral barge, some of black shapes on the water. But there is this second set of stories which do refer to them so effectively as a sort of half monster, half mermaid type creature. It's capable of coming on land, it's kind of talking to people. There's one sort of legend of Bedic coming and visiting a man in a Glenn Close lockmow, for example. So it's clearly not just kind of a water animal in these early stories. And there is a book which was published in nineteen oh six by a guy called McDonald, James McDonald, who was distantly related to the relevant clan on the north Shore, called Tales of the Highlands, which is the one where you find this sort of version of events showing the monster as a mermaid, and he dates back to eighteen eighty seven and says he's seen something on the lock himself which he thinks must have been this thing. And there is a second set of stories that are told at about this time, and these have already come to light very recently because they exist in the collection called the Carmichael Collection, which is a set of Gaelic folklore manuscripts that are stored in the University of Edinburgh, and there's a project going now to transcribe these and from those who come several of these early Lockmoil reports, and what's interesting about them is that there's there's two initial entries in the Carmichael archive which talk about the first sort of monster. There's sort of just an undifferentiated black mass, a sort of black lump is one of the descriptions, sort of rolling around on the surface, I mean, not really animal like at all. And then a few months later there's a second one which is exactly like the James McDonald's story. And so one speculates that this guy has probably talked to somebody, maybe McDonald himself or somebod who knows McDonald and got a sort of a second story trope from him. So you have these sort of two quite different sets of stories in the late nineteenth century, which by the time lock Meess comes along, they sort of solidify into just.
Speaker 4: Another late monster. And I think that it would be.
Speaker 5: A very good idea to go back and explore in as much detail as possible how these earlier stories sort of work and what they're for in order to really understand what's going on in Lockmore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was as a clarification.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to understand, are the oldest stories that you've found, are they actually alleged sightings or are they sort of folklore? Does the folklore pre data sightings, I guess is my question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean essentially yes.
Speaker 5: I mean what you start with is a massive stories which are extremely undetailed.
Speaker 4: And along the lines.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, I said I said earlier that the first story dates back to the to eighteen forty and we can date it by this because you know, what we have is simply a line in the Carmichael papers saying and it appeared just before Ian Rudd Ready Ian died, and we know that this guy died.
Speaker 4: In eighteen forty. But that's it.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's that they're only interested in the fact that it appeared and then he died, because it's a confirmation of the folklore trope that it's a harbinger of death, and so you would expect someone to die. And there's the most notable landowner in that area at the time of the turn the century, at the time of sort of Queen Victoria's death, was a guy called Angus Natregue. And again, I mean he died in eighteen ninety eight, and the monster Lockemore was.
Speaker 4: Seen just before he died as well.
Speaker 5: And so really all you are getting there is a kind of internal confirmation of a story, which is to do with it being a sign important and no interest at all in the idea of well, this thing could be an animal or anything like that. It's completely differently situated within the sort of folklore spectrum at that point.
Speaker 2: So quick additional follow up, So from a and this is my ignorance, but I think it might be important.
Speaker 3: From a historical perspective.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the nature of British journalism was in eighteen forty was it? It seemed like in America in the eighteen hundreds. The newspapers they can be historically useful, but they also kind of mix in things that aren't true with with the sort of a stew was kind of hard to pick out what's supposed to be legitimately actually factual and what might be an entertainment sort of nearly.
Speaker 3: Is that a problem in old British papers or is it?
Speaker 4: I certainly wouldn't deny.
Speaker 5: I don't think there's quite the same tradition of sort of tall tail telling as a as a form of entertainment in newspapers.
Speaker 4: There's one season. I mean, I've done a.
Speaker 5: Little bit of work on some of these sort of early American airship sighting, so exactly, Yes, clearly this is something which plays on I mean, the tall taiale telling is something that plays a large part on the spread of those sorts of stories.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah.
Speaker 5: The reality, as I mentioned earlier, is that lockermow was actually so distant that there was no local newspaper in the nineteenth century. The nearest would be the Oben Times, and Oben is like, you know, fifty sixty miles to the north of Lockmowre or the you know, the Invernestua Courier, which is the paper that first reported the lockmess Monster. You know, covered that area. But I mean none of these stories made the press at all. I mean you you get them as a saying by folklore is talking to people. There was a famous monk from for ad Augustus Abbey. For Augustus Abbey, of course, is right at the southern end of Loch Ness who did a lot of work amongst parishioners in the west coast of Scotland and recorded stories from Lockmore around Lost Shield as well, because you know he was the only person essentially who's in a position to get this sort of stuff and actually put it down in writing. There's no local written tradition of anything happening until well, certainly not the in nineteen twenties or nineteen thirties, you know. But what you do see start to see happening around about the turn of the last century is as a result of the clearances and the establishment of sporting estates in the west of Scotland, you start getting outsiders and they start picking up on stories in the same sort of way, and they're talking about it very much. Is kind of you know, odd interesting bits of local folklore. I mean, the famous example actually comes from lock Arcade, which is literally next door to Lockmow. There's a connection that Glenn between the two. They're about ten miles apart, where Lord Malmesbury, who was actually the British Foreign Minister in the eighteen fifties, had a shot there and talked to one of his stalkers, and you know they were talking to him about the local water horse kelpie. You know that there could only be one at a time. They come in different lakes, but you know there's any one in the Hole of Scotland, and there's one scene in lock Arcaic in the eighteen fifties, and so he wrote down this story in his memoirs, which are published in eighteen fifty seven. So occasion you get these sort of outsiders, sort of amused takes on Gaelic vocalore, and again you're kind of seeing it through a rather distorted lens as a result, because you know, they're having it translated for them by some local gilly and sort of fishing fishing helper that is, and they're probably not really getting the full flavor of what the local people would have thought about all of this.
Speaker 1: Do you think there's any connection at all between more Egg and the Lockness monster or are they completely separate creatures?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, this is the interesting thing I suppose about the the reason we're talking now. I mean you could say there are two obviously from the cryptos ologist point of view. You know the problem I have with the average cryptosologists. They tend to kind of blunder in, grab whatever they think could possibly be a distorted version of a story about a real animal stripper out of its storytelling context, and kind of you know, look for anatomical features almost literally. But the other thing you can do is say that, you know, there's obviously also the possibility that all of these stories have their origins in Gaelic folklore and the idea of you know, the stories of water horses, water bulls and all this, I mean, the Highland stories a poketails are full of these sorts of stories. And you know, in the kelpie, which is something which you Lockness is often supposed to be. You know, you look back and people say, well, they're all these reports are kelpies around Lockness, and these probably if you're seeing the monster, you know, in fact, the kelpie is a kind of a a demonic figure in Highland folk or it's a sort of demonic horse which when it gets hovers around the edges of the lock, looking beautiful with a bridle and a saddle on and sort of lures young girls to get on its back, and the second they're on board that it tears off and drowns him in the lock and takes them down to its underwater palace and sort of you know, they're dead. So it's not not a monster really at all, but people kind of co opt elements of it and just say, you know, strange thing on the shores of the lock.
Speaker 4: It must have been.
Speaker 5: What we're seeing is a distorted bit of folkal which is a real monster. So I think that one would want to upend that and say, you know, possibly what we're really seeing is folklore stories that are getting turned into something which is a bit more deterministic at a time when folklore is at a low premium by the nineteen twenties, nineteen thirty and you know, all the things that we've doubtless talk about with other guests, you know, the you know, the the animations of monsters and Lost World films and things like that sort of start kind and stories about dinosaurs, of course, and we can start with the dinosaurs all come in and start informing a new way of looking at these things.
Speaker 2: Yes, and especially when, as you've probably heard me say, I'm fond of saying this that when when cryptozoological creatures are derived from movies, I like to call them scriptids, and I am I'm so fond of that term. So I am going to use this as another opportunity to spread it, get it out there people. So these varieties of sightings, I mean we're talking about a lot of different I want to say morphological patterns here. This is these they don't seem to be describing the same creature in every story. Can you talk a little bit about what people are seeing as far as the physical characteristics.
Speaker 5: Well, we can go through this a little bit. I mean, at the beginning, as I say, I mean, most of the stories are a very specifically, very vague black rolling heaps on the black rolling heaps on the surface, shadows under the surface, you know, sort of to a boat pulling two smaller boats, which of course the crypto orgis would say that must be a three monster.
Speaker 4: But they're very specifically described as boats.
Speaker 5: So yes, you then end up, you know, by the nineteen twenties nineteen thirties, with things that are.
Speaker 4: Much more like the Lockness monster.
Speaker 5: Now you know, I've standed, you know, even more than my usual skeptical self so far. But I must stress that the other interesting thing about Lochmar, which makes it very unlike Lockness is that it does have a dramatic history of very very very close up sightings, which you know, however skeptical wants to be. I mean, it removes that the way in which one tends to do with a lot of Lockness stories if one is a skeptic, but you know, a humanistic skeptic is to say, well, a lot of them are probably just mistaken, you know, they say, obviously. Lockness is famous for examples. It's a classic natural wave tank. It's a long narrow waves from passing ships roll out, hit the shore, comeback meet in the middle and you get this sort of long, low hump effect, which if you're looking at it from a shallow angle because you're standing on the shore, looks really quite dramatic. I've seen it myself, and you know, it's very easy to understand why people are reporting dramatic multi humpt animals quite honestly, now what happens in Lockmore, as you know, you get a lot of that is removed.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 5: The most famous of all the reports from Lockmore is the McDonald Simpson sighting, which dates to August nineteen sixty nine, where these two local Scottish guys, both very highly respected in the community by the way, were traveling down the in a small boat with an at board motor on a fishing expedition and they saw that three humps were sort of converging on their boat, and in fact, whatever it was in their account came up bumped accidentally against the side of the boat, and one of them had to fend it off with an all I mean literally pressed against whatever with an ord to try and force it away, while his mate went and probly loaded a rifle which they presumably had on boarded a bit of proaching and sort of fired a while shot in its direction. So you know, I mean, you can't say that's a mistaken identity. I mean, you know they're talking about three humps, you know, a head held low over the water. You know, they can describe its texture, they can describe the feel of pressing against it. This is either you know, an out and out hoax, or you know they've encountered some sort of interesting thing. I mean, their own explanation for it, by the way, was not a dinosaur out.
Speaker 4: And wants a but a giant deal.
Speaker 5: And there's another report actually literally from the month before that of a guy called Robert Duff who was on holiday there from Edinburgh, who again was fishing, and again this is where the clear water is coming. Who's fishing in Meeble Bay, which is about halfway down the lock and again not one of the parts.
Speaker 4: Of the lake that's overseen by anybody.
Speaker 5: And looks down over the side of the boat, down twenty through twenty feet of water the bottom and there's this sort of what he describes as a monster lizard looking up at him with and he can see four legs digits on each foot. It's really quite clear. So again, I mean, you're you're not necessarily talking about a case of mistaken identity with cases that are that close, and that's dramatic, and I think that's the other interesting thing about the Lockmower imports to me.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 1: So aside from these sightings, has there been any physical evidence that's turned up or any photographs.
Speaker 4: There's a few photographs. They're the usual sort of thing.
Speaker 5: They're not very different to lock messic so they're not as good. But then of course we know the most Lockermoess photographs that are fake and that's why they.
Speaker 4: Again, I mean we talked we mentioned that Adrian Shine earlier.
Speaker 5: Adrian started off at Lockmore because he thought that it was a better place to investigate. And this is back in the days when he was more of a monster hunt when he is now nowadays. He would very much like to be seen as a scientist, and most of the work he does is sort of you know, studies of fish stocks and things like that, actually is good quality scientific work. But back then he was more of an adventurer and a monster hunter. And the first thing he did at Lockermowre was he built himself this tiny little sort of submersible thing which is literally just kind of a pod which he could sit in, and he sank it down in the loch about twenty feet, which is an almost suicidally dumb thing to do, in my opinion. The idea was that you would he had this sort of viewing portal looking upwards, and he thought that the best way of identifying what's an animal he was looking for would be sort of sit on the bottom and wait for a monster's from over him, so he'd get it sort of silhouetted against the surface and he'd be able to see lots of sort of morphological characteristics. So he spent quite a lot of time sitting on the bottom of Lockmower hoping for this to happen, which it didn't, and when that happened, he then then his next step was to get a sort of glass bottomed boat, and he did a survey of the whole of the lock sort of down to about twenty feet so you sailed around. It's eleven miles long, So he sailed around all twenty two miles a shoreline up to about twenty feet out, looking in the hope he might find a car, a sort of skeleton or something again without any luck. But you know, those are the sort of things that are possible in Lockermore that has something be completely impossible in Lockness. So one would have thought, if ever one is going to find the sort of physical evidence that would actually excite a crypto as well just an interested actual scientist. More is the place it's going to happen.
Speaker 3: So the lake is very deep.
Speaker 4: It's the deepest lake in British.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's how long is it? I mean, because I mean.
Speaker 5: It's eleven miles it's eleven miles long, which is half the length of Lockness, okay, and one and seventeen feet deep, whereas Lockness is about seven hundred and fifty feet deep, So it's got about another two hundred and fifty three hundred feet on Lockness.
Speaker 4: That's an very small part of the bottom. But it's very it is jolly deep. Yeah, absolutely, yeah, very icy.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, so was it also like lock Ness was cut by glaciers if I remember correctly, And yes, it is the same true for more are well.
Speaker 5: I'm not a geologist, I would imagine that I believe that to be true, but yes, absolutely, And it's what you don't You don't have the same sort of bottom characteristics as you do in Lockness though, so it's been cut in a such slightly different way. And there's also no sort of large rivers flowing in. I mean in Lockness there's famous to kind of two deep basins and they're separated because there's a river halfway down that's been sort of pouring silt into the water into the lake for ten thousand years, and so there's kind of a ridge is built up halfway down. The lake on the bottom close to the sea is really very shallow and there are a few islands there, which is not a characteristic Lockness, which is fairly typically deep all the way across.
Speaker 2: So have there been any I just want to say, have there been any of those sort of sonar surveys or that kind of exploration of the lake where they you know.
Speaker 3: I imagine it was easy.
Speaker 2: It was easier to get funding for like nests because of its same you know.
Speaker 5: Well absolutely, and there hasn't been the same level of investigation. I mean, yeah, both nests and more thoroughly surveyed by the famous pathemetric survey that went around this all Scottish major lakes in the between about eighteen nineteen nineteen ten, and that's how we know how deep it is. So that, but that was done literally by of chucking away over the side of a rowing boat and then hauling it back up and checking it over again several thousand times. So it wasn't quite the sort of modern sonar survey type of thing.
Speaker 1: So you've told us a little bit about some of the expeditions that have taken place there. Could you tell us some more about the various expeditions that people have undertaken to find the creature?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean this didn't really happen till the late sixties.
Speaker 5: I mean the McDonald simpson report, the one where the monster bumped into a boat made it into the papers, much to the annoyance of the two guys. Actually they vowed not to talk about it, but they meant they had told some relatives, and some one of their relatives told the papers, and when that report came out, the Lockness Investigation Bureau been active at Lockness for three or four years at that point got interested and you know, again because of the physical characteristics and more, a small group of people, led by a woman called Elizabeth Montgomery Campbell, got the idea that it might be more likely they could get a quick result at Lockmore. I mean this was the an IB had already begun to get a bit frustrated by the amount of sort of camera hours it was putting in at Lockness without getting any.
Speaker 4: Sort of real results.
Speaker 5: And so the Lockmow Survey began in nineteen sixty nine, nineteen seventies seventy one, so it ran for about three years, and then Adrian Shine took over in the mid seventies, but then largely for the fundraising reasons I think you mentioned, he relocated to Lockness in the in the early eighties. So there hasn't been a significant a mand of work done at Lockmore now for thirty five or forty years. And it's very much the sort of little Sister from the point of your actual investigation, which again in a way makes it much more interesting, because you know, the Lockness thing has been so carefully investigating now that you can kind of, in my view at least speak of someone who's involved in it. You can pretty much rule out there being actual large numbers of large anivine animals and nocamaths. We just know too much about it now for that to be true. So the romance really is still over in Lockmore where that work hasn't been done, so that the ruling out process hasn't got very far yet.
Speaker 2: So I think from what you've told us so far, we could kind of split the sort of story of this place into folklore versus actual sightings, Like, if you want to split it that way, there's stories and then there's people actually seeing things.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: A favorite hobby of the armchair skeptic is to say, well, what big animals exist there that might be mistaken for a monster? And I guess it's part of our due diligence to ask. I'm not saying that there's definitely a physical nature of everything people have seen, but I am curious. Are there things like seals or big otters or any that sort of thing.
Speaker 5: Well, it's very I mean, I guess the situation is relatively similar to Lockness, So in lochmar is even closer to the sea than lock Ness.
Speaker 4: Is.
Speaker 5: The problem with lock Ness and the whole idea of things getting into the lock is that the river Ness which flows from the sea.
Speaker 4: To Lockness or vice versa.
Speaker 5: I should say, it flows directly through the middle of Intervernest and you can drive into internsts and sea. Guys standing in the middle of this river in their wade is fishing. So it's obviously not a very deep river either, but it's about six or seven miles I guess long, whereas in Lockmore. Lockmo is actually one of its geographical curiosities is it is home to the shortest river in the British Isles. It's only just over half a mile long, so it's literally up against the edge of the sea, and there's a half mile long river connecting it to the sea. And I hadn't heard any stories specifically about seals, but you would expect that would be entirely possible that seals could get up that half mile long river.
Speaker 4: And into the lake.
Speaker 5: The other thing, of course, which you could see in the lake would be deer, and I mean there's certainly some cases from lock Ness which almost certainly are sightings of swimming deer. So and of course you know you have the if you think about the head and neck of a deer, it's quite similar to this typical sort of head and neck quarts you quite often get from places like lock Ness, So that is definitely another possibility. And certainly there is a quite lively local tradition that more of the lock being full of sort of overgrown eels as well, not necessarily the sort of thirty foot superheel that you would need to explain some of these stories, but you know, five six seven foot long eels, so that's also a possibility. And of course it's also I mean, as I mentioned earlier, it's got quite a large biomass, and it's full of salmon, so fish that swim sort of fast and along the surface and can create v wakes and so on certainly exists there as well.
Speaker 2: That I love the idea of these big mammals land mammals sort of crossing bodies of water. Personally, I'm not saying this is the explanation for every signing of Caddy the ked Borisaurus, but the idea of a moose in the water and you look out and see a moose crossing. Oh my gosh, that's so reminiscent of some of the things people have seen.
Speaker 5: Well, if you look at the sketches, you're absolutely right, and you certainly a locknest is one of the more dramatic sightings by a woman called Greta findn't they her son in the nineteen fifties, who saw sort of two hunt long neck creature. Again, it was quite close up, actually, it was only one hundred yards or so away from them, just offshore, and there's quite a lively debate about whether or not they could have seen a deer. I mean the thing they sort of looked very deer like, but of course it then sort of submerged under the water without apparently much of a struggle, so that the average to believe in the ons say, well, how do we had one of the chances of them being a deer just having a heart attack as they look at it in a dire So again, I mean a lot, a lot comes back to it, which is just so frustrating, isn't it The whole kind of how accurately are we getting these reports?
Speaker 4: And how good are the witnesses and.
Speaker 5: How credible are there, you know, sort of the Irish supports we're getting in terms of the accuracy levels. Given that one is not expecting to see something you want to see something that's quite dramatic, maybe even quite scary, it's not ideal circumstances for a very accurate cold blooded Ivans support really in any of these circumstances.
Speaker 1: So you've spoken about some sidings from the fifties and in particular the sixties. Are there any contemporary sightings.
Speaker 4: Of course there are a few. Yes, I mean again one tends to hear about this almost by chance.
Speaker 5: For a lot of the time, a lot of the local people are quite keen for Lockermowe not become Lockness, especially in terms of I mean they quite like it being quiet and lin to want to attract lots of tourists. So there is a local not even a newspaper with it's kind of a community newsletter called Westward, which is published there, which very occasionally, you know, reports something along these lines. Almost always it's from a visitor, a tourist, normally something he's gone fishing there, and it's very some of the sorts of things that we've been talking about sort of you know, a low hump in the water, something seen under the water, those types of things. There was one very dramatic case which hasn't really been publicized very much, involving the brother of the guy who had the dramatic close up sighting in nineteen eighty nine, a guy called Donald Simpson who claims to have seen what's essentially sort of a land sighting, a monster coming up into the lock from the River Mara, which he saw while he was driving along the road, only about twenty or thirty feet away from it. So again, I mean, that's one of those things where if you're cooked as older to get very excited by the idea that something can be coming in and out of the lock via the river, because that would explain lots of stuff about how things aren't being seen more often.
Speaker 3: For example, we talked about kelpies briefly.
Speaker 2: Are there any other sort of water based folklore that you're familiar with that would be relevant to these sort of sightings.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, we haven't really gone into this the mermaid thing, but I mean the and mermaid.
Speaker 4: Is the wrong word for it.
Speaker 5: Really, it is it is a monster with a woman's sort of torso attached to it, and you know, and that's the mermaid part, so you know, sort of the white breast, long hair and all that sort of thing. But the idea was at the time, and this is the way the photo puts it, is that this is the three elements of the of the Morag are supposed to be the three parts of a funeral service, where you have, you know, sort of one part represents the coffin, one part represents the gray one part represents the sort of burial ceremony. And so there's quite a confusion of different sorts of bits of photore being mixed into this. But Lockomore is full of of interesting legends. Apart from that, there's sort of electricorn like legends about very gold and another one which I've looked into some depths I've found a particularly fascinating story is the.
Speaker 4: Gray Dog of Mebel.
Speaker 5: Mebel as a little farm about halfway down the lock, but two miles down a river, so it's not within sight of the lock. And one of the guys who used to live there back in the time with the Napoleonic Wars, so about two hundred years ago, and that who was supposed to have had a faithful deer hound, went off to the walls. The deer haund gave birth to a litter of puppies after he'd gone, and because he wasn't a to look after it, they went ferell and set up a home on an island, a little lock and up in the hills above Lockmore. And when he came back from fighting Boney and went to fetch his faithful deer hound, these puppies had grown up by then to be sort of large for oceans dogs, and they didn't recognize and tore him to bits, and he was buried in the local graveyard, and the bitch who he had had as his dog, went and laid on the grave and was inconsolable. In this sort of way the dog was supposed to be and then sort of come back later on as a sort of spiritual.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 5: That's sort of harbing of death for people in his family. And there are a lot of legends in Lockmore about people who've seen the gray dog and Mebele just sort of trotting along. It's normally said to be about the size of a Shetland pony, and it sort of trots along alongside you while you're walking along Scottish mountain tracks all by yourself in the middle of the night, and it's a pretty terrifying thing to encounter.
Speaker 1: Apparently, is there a very big community of people there or is it pretty small?
Speaker 4: No? Tiny?
Speaker 5: I mean so more village at one end of the lock as sort of twenty or thirty people. There are literally half a dozen people now who overlook the lock and live in a couple of very small communities and that's it, apart from sort of people who are just visiting for the day and going out fishing. So it's literally twenty to fifty people, which is very very different to Lockerness obviously.
Speaker 1: Do you think that these stories have been attracting more people to the.
Speaker 5: Area, Well, not many people. I mean, you'd have to be fairly dedicated. Crypto has all just fought into encounter the lockmow a monster and one of the things that very commonly comes up when you do get a slighting word, you're saying, I had no idea that they were supposed to be a monster in this lake, if you want to take that seriously. Again, that's quite an interesting thing because the problem with lockw with lockness obviously is that everyone knows as a monster in the lake and it's half on the lookout for it, and it's libel trinter butt almost.
Speaker 4: Anything they see in the water as.
Speaker 5: A monster as well as a result, so it kind of is a pure source of stories, if you like, as a result of that, if.
Speaker 2: You don't mind me reverting to the folklore question stuff again, I'm the idea of harbingers, of harbingers of as we say around here, of death, that that sort of folklore comes up again and again I'm thinking of the spectral hounds as being one, and then the idea of what's the there's a couple of different.
Speaker 3: Female ghosts that.
Speaker 2: The band she would be one where you know, there's sometimes round yeah, and they're associated with families oftentimes in the folklore. There may be that kind of folklore in other parts of the world, but it seems like the northern UK has a bigger amount of it, at least that's where I've run into it more.
Speaker 4: Have you?
Speaker 3: Do you see more of that kind of story in your life?
Speaker 5: You're right, and I think that, you know, I mean, what you have to bear in mind is, you know, we all talk about highlands of Scotland. Here we're talking about a clan based system where extended families exist in a much more real and concrete way than is typical in almost anywhere else, certainly in the UK and you know probably most of the rest of the world and particularly up to the nineteenth century.
Speaker 4: You know, you are a member of your clan.
Speaker 5: You have a very large extended family which is focused usually in a twenty or thirty or forty mile radius, with sort of sub families, but you will have the same surname, and so it's much much easier and more likely that these sort of stories will only grow up but also be circulated as a result of that.
Speaker 1: What can the monster of Lake Mora tell us about the nature of lake monsters in general? Is there anything that can tell us well, a couple of things.
Speaker 5: I mean, firstly, not all lake monster stories are a product of the publicity surrounding lockers, and that is a fairly typical skeptical position. So I think that it's important that we recognize that there are these two or three lakes where, however different the reports are, there are reports of things in lakes before nineteen thirty three, and that's really significant. I think that it gives us something to talk about, which is beyond everything is found on a hope that publicity stunt a single dramatic story that gets exaggerated. I think that you need to look a lot more carefully at local beliefs, local folklore, the way in which you know people look on these large, slightly scary, slightly isolated bodies of water. So that's the first thing. The second thing is is to say that you are looking here as I say, I mean a small number of interestingly dramatic stories.
Speaker 4: I've told a couple. I mean.
Speaker 5: I'll give you a third example. A guy called Lord Glenn Davon, who's another one of these sort of sporting gentlemen visiting Lockmore again before the locknows. Montster comes on. She's in nineteen thirty one, out trolling on the lock, and suddenly his line gets taken by something which is heavy, and then thing he's ever felt on the end of his fishing line before and sort of dives down to the depth of the lock seven hundred feet until it pays out the whole of his fishing wheel and he comes back to land, very very shaking.
Speaker 4: His Gilly tells him this is not something we should be talking about essentially.
Speaker 5: So again, there's a kind of mixture of sort of real animal local folklore going on there. But also again it's a different sort of story. You don't tend to get in most lakes. Physical elements to these sorts of stories. So you've got at least two or three of the lockmower stories involved elements of I pressed against it. I felt the weight of it on my fishing one, and that is the best of my knowledge.
Speaker 4: Unique.
Speaker 5: So so there's something unusual about the Lockmore tradition as well.
Speaker 2: Not asking you to wildly speculate, but at the same time, I am curious. So what do you think people might be seeing? I mean, it sounds like they're seeing a lot of different things. But for those stories that seem plausible, what do you do you have any idea?
Speaker 5: I hate these sorts of speculations because I'm soestly ignorant and not qualified to.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, then if you do, I can skip it if you want.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I mean, you know, I started off like most of us.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think we've had this conversation on previous podcast, even you know, as an eleven twelve year old kid, I really badly wanted to believe some of this stuff was true. It be much more exciting, and I've gradually become more and more gnulled and skeptical over the years, and Lockmore has this little beacon quality in my mind where it's one of these very few places where, gosh, there could still be something actually interesting going on there.
Speaker 4: So so I think that, you know, for me, the reason I like, I mean, the other thing I haven't really mentioned is.
Speaker 5: It's unbelievably beautiful there. I mean, you really ought to go over you get the chance. Lockness is actually kind of quite a grim place. It's dark, and Lockmow has a softer feel to it, and you know, the Highlands has got the obviously you probably know, are very beautiful, and this is one of the most beautiful bits to it. So the whole thing has a sort of romantic feel of it to me, and I kind of treasured that because it, you know, it's this little spark of my old childhood self in this sort of niled, old skeptical help that I'm now dragging around in my fifties, and it's sort of it speaks to me for that, So, you know, it's a other special place for me from that point of view. I first went there when I was like fourteen years old and still wanted and able to believe in all this stuff. And so as I say, there's a little bit of a young boy and Lochmore inside me somewhere.
Speaker 1: Is it there any if you wanted to visit there? Is it there anywhere? Any places to stay in that area where.
Speaker 5: It's not I mean when I say it's isolated, I mean it's twenty or thirty or forty miles from civilization, not that far really, especially.
Speaker 4: Right some places in the US.
Speaker 5: I mean, there's the local village is about ten miles up the road at five miles, and obviously you can get bed and breakfasts and things like that around there as well, so.
Speaker 4: It's not not impossible.
Speaker 5: I mean it's not It's not like a five hundred thousand bed place, But then we have five hundred one thousand people don't normally want to go to a lot more all at the same time, so it shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Now they will.
Speaker 2: We'll have to get our numbers up a little higher for that to have an impact, I think. But you know, it's funny because you mentioned the more you research, the more skeptical you become.
Speaker 3: But I mean I I feel the same way.
Speaker 2: I mean, I remember distinctly the feeling of, you know, believing that Bigfoot was out there, you know, just waiting to be found. And over the years that's gone from Bigfoot's probably real, to Bigfoot might be real, to I really don't think Bigfoot's real, to I'm provisionally confident saying bigfoots not real, but in prepared to change that should a body appear. All that being said, it doesn't stop me from looking intently for Bigfoot when I'm driving in the woods at night.
Speaker 3: I mean, know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Exactly, And I guess one reason I don't want to go something in lockness is, however skeptical I am, I still don't like something in large, deep boders of water. I can't see what's coming up from underneath me. Yeah, coming from from that point of yes, yeah, Well. The any other thing I suppose I would want to.
Speaker 6: Say in kind of in conclusion, is that it would be it would be interesting to do some more work there, As I said, I mean, the Lockmower survey in the seventies did come up with quite a lot of evidence about the.
Speaker 5: Size of the fish population. And you know, to me, this was the sort of killer blow at loch Ness was well, actually there are two killer blows at Lockness, but that was one of them. The idea that, in fact, the fish stock in Lockness is probably only somewhere in the region of sixteen to twenty five tons of fish, which sounds like a lot. But then when you then multiply that and you start thinking in terms of what would be a breeding population of monsters, look like you start worrying about there's just not enough food to support actual animals. That doesn't seem to be true of Lockmow. And I'd like to know a lot more about that, and I would like to do more.
Speaker 3: Was gonna say, it's that the it's the miracle of the lock and the fishes.
Speaker 4: I'd like to do more.
Speaker 5: Work on the whole surveying of the you know, the clear water areas of the lake as well. I don't think I can go quite as far as agent and actually sit in little people, which I've made.
Speaker 4: It's extreme bottom of my garden. That was a little bit too extreme for me.
Speaker 5: So so I mean I think that I suppose the thing about lockmow in conclusion is, Hey, there is actually somewhere there there's more work to be done. And you know that that, again is kind of unusual for me when when I do research, I tend this is one of the very few cases where I've ended up thinking, well, there's more work to be done, as opposed to it, Okay, I've solved that to at least my satisfaction, there is.
Speaker 4: Still work to be done there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel that I have all the answers I want about Lockmore and that's quite unusual, and again something to be kind of cherished, because you know, it's nice to have at least a little and I don't know if I would even call it an element of mystery, but certainly an element of it inquisitiveness about something that I've been interested in now for sort of forty odd years and still has that little itch.
Speaker 4: Going at the back of my mind. And you know, I quite value that.
Speaker 1: Really, what do you think you might find?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean I think that you know you've asked me to speculate wildly, so I guess I might as well finish my spectrum.
Speaker 4: You might find a.
Speaker 5: Large a large fish of some sort. I mean, I don't think that's impossible. You know, it could be you know, some people could be seeing larger ors. There could be a I don't know, I mean you were saying lock mess. Maybe a sturgeon that's agent shines view anyway, And once you take out the long head and neck bits of late monster reports, sturgeon are actually surprisingly good candidate for a lot of the rest of the stuff. So so maybe that so, I mean, you know that that would be undramatic but interesting to.
Speaker 2: Me definitely for wildly speculating, I would I would love it if they find a sort of like a giant anglerfish that's evolved so that the lure is shaped like a beautiful woman, but when you get close it gobbles you up.
Speaker 4: Yah. A wild speculation would be, hey, maybe there's a mermaid.
Speaker 3: Well there is that That would be wild.
Speaker 1: Find evidence.
Speaker 2: So I think I've mentioned several times on the show that your book Borderlands is just just a tremendously well researched collection of fortyana.
Speaker 3: Uh and big book.
Speaker 2: It is a big book and everybody should own it. Is there any and we'll have a link to that and to your articles of Smithsonian and to your website and her show notes. Is there anything else you'd like to talk about or promote?
Speaker 5: Golly not not from this point of view. I mean, I've been so called up in the writing of the history stuff I do that I haven't been writing a huge amount of forty on I guess I should mention, if this is coming out soon, that I actually have an article in the issue of fourteen Times about something I haven't written about before, which is the Antrum of Initiation at Bayer on the Bay of Naples, which is supposedly a set of a set of very mysterious tunnels dug into the remains of a volcano, which might be something to do with a peculiar sort of fifth century BC con game where people tried to persuade rich passing merchants they were able to take them down to the underworld, over the river sticks and into a sort of k where they would get their fortunes read by a civil and totally expecting very large something I need to the privilege.
Speaker 4: That's my latest fourteen Times writing.
Speaker 2: Quite a few of our listeners have asked if you've made any progress on your spring Hill Jack work. Is there a chance that you've moved forward with making that into an actual published book.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I hope you weren't going to ask that, you know what, I I've been working on these swiss Onian history articles so long that I've now basically I'm like three articles short.
Speaker 4: Of having a book for the books worth of them.
Speaker 5: I promised myself i'd finish that and then i'd do Swing Hill Jack. That was two years ago, and I keep getting distracted by new ideas for stuff, so I had I've still got two out of the three stories I want for my book I haven't actually written yet. So the idea is that at some point between now and Christmas, aally finish that up, and that next year I should try and get back to Spring hil Jack. There's about six months of work to do this, so it's kind of hard for me to imagine how I'm going to find enough time to do six months of work over any sort of relatively short period of time.
Speaker 4: And I say, basically, I need.
Speaker 5: To spend another few weeks on Spring hill Jack, maybe a couple of months at least. I'm hoping to do more of it next year.
Speaker 4: Short.
Speaker 5: No, No, it's terribly plenty excuse which probably would bore the plants of anybody.
Speaker 2: No, but I think the I think the end product should you be able to get it out.
Speaker 3: I think people are really interested.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I I need to get downe and I'm nagat to the point of thinking, Lady, how I better make sure I write something before I drop the dead act.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, you don't be like George R. Martin, So if that's your standard here.
Speaker 4: So I still try my best to make it happen.
Speaker 5: I've got some fantastic good stuff to talk about there as well, so I really really don't want to lose it, you know. I mean, the amount of new stuff there is far, far more than anything else I've done, so I kind of have an obligation to the greater community to do something about it.
Speaker 1: I think great. Right, So, Mike, we've had you on the show before and you've spoken about your favorite monster, so we thought we'd ask you a brilliant question on that theme instead. Do you have a scary movie that you can recommend?
Speaker 5: You know something. I'm really bad with scary movies. I tend not to watch them because I find them a little bit cynical and manipulative, and I'm sort of person who doesn't like going to amusement parts because I don't like going on things that are designed make me feel like I'm about to die. And it's very similar with the horror mo So actually I'm terrible at recommending scary movies, but I suppose the maybe one that's worth mentioning that some people it's probably not very scary, but it ties in with another piece of research I've done.
Speaker 4: Which is a film called The Maze.
Speaker 5: Which goes back to the nineteen fifties and is a version of the Monster of Glam's story, which I actould come and talk to you about some time, the sort of you know, the deformed air kept locked up in a secret room in a Scottish castle for Yeah, that.
Speaker 1: Would be a good episode.
Speaker 2: I'm familiar with the legend, so that would yeah. Yeah, you think you could talk about it for half an hour?
Speaker 5: Oh, I could talk about it for longer than that. I've got a lot of research on it. Yeah, I mean there's some good speaky stuff there, so that would make a good episode for you.
Speaker 4: I suspect it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I like it. Okay, we'll go a linked to that.
Speaker 2: The show notes as well as always, it's been great talking with you.
Speaker 4: I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it.
Speaker 5: I hope it was useful for you. I didn't feel like it was as focus as I wanted it to be.
Speaker 3: But don't know, that was really interesting. Actually, I mean I.
Speaker 2: Think, and I mean the listeners can correct me if I'm wrong, but my feeling is that one of the reasons people like the show is because we're long form. We're not a super tight fifteen minute you know, pikat. We're people with the who really thought deeply about these questions, you know, talking sensibly about monsters, and then that's what's wrong with that.
Speaker 1: Right, going into a lot of details.
Speaker 2: A lot of history, a lot of you know, side stuff. People like to learn new things, and I know every time we talk to you, we're going to learn something new.
Speaker 4: So it's great, definitely pleasure. It's always last to talk. So yeah, we'll do it again sometimes. Monster.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to Monster Talk. I'm Karen Stolsner and.
Speaker 3: I'm Blake Smith.
Speaker 2: You just heard an interview with doctor Mike dash about the alleged beasts living in luche More.
Speaker 3: We hope you enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: A link to Mike's book Borderlands and to his articles at Smithsonian or in the show notes at monster.
Speaker 3: Talk dot org.
Speaker 2: Mike's written several lot books filled with meticulous research, not all of them forti in, but well worth checking out. Monster Talk is an official podcast of Skeptic Magazine. The opinions expressed here are those of myself and my guests and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic Society. But if you want my opinion, it's a great time of year to donate to the nonprofit Skeptic Society before the year runs out. You can find details on how to make a tax sedictable donation at skeptic dot com. They did not ask me to say that. I just think it's a good time of year to donate to Skeptic or the Center for Skeptical Inquiry. Both organizations support the promotion of critical thinking, and that's something that we can always do with more of We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Each episode we strive to bring you the best in monster related content with a focus on bringing scientific skepticism into the conversation. If you enjoy Monster Talk, we now have a variety of ways to support the show, all with convenient links at monster talk dot org, forwarde Slash Support, monster talk dot org, Forge Slash Support. There we have links to our Patreon pages as well as a donation button. A great way to support the show is to buy us books from our Amazon Monster Talk wish list, which directly helps us with our research. We love usbooks very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones, and we love Kindle, and we can share our digital library with each other. Finally, without spending any money at all, you can support us by leaving a positive review at iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find new listeners. And please share our show on your favorite social media platforms. Thanks again to all you generous folk who have signed up for the Patreon page and for the amazing generosity of the book purchases that you've made from the monster talk support page. We've got some great ones now to read through and to turn into episodes, and I really really appreciate it. Monster Talk theme music is by Peach Stealing Monkeys.
Speaker 3: Thank you again for listening.
Speaker 2: Did you know that You can now subscribe to Skeptic Magazine digitally. Just grab our free Skeptic Magazine app, currently compatible with iOS, Android, PC, mac, Kindlefire, Kindlefire HD, and BlackBerry Playbook.
Speaker 5: Head over to skeptic dot com slash Magazine slash app to find out more and download more of your favorite Skeptic content