Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI Am six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: Good morning, it's five o'clock. This is your wake up call for Monday, March third. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. And whether you're listening on the iHeartRadio app or on your old fashioned radio, we're appreciating that you are here to start your day with us. So big night, Oscars. Last night, we're gonna be talking about that. A lot got some I mean, there's some good stuff, some bad stuff, some beautiful stuff, some stuff that made me cry. Also, I don't know how you felt about yesterday, but it was chill and it was beautiful. I know we had some rain come through. I didn't get in my neighborhood, but it was one of those days where the winds had kind of blown out the gunk, so the skies were super clear, and you've got some clouds and you've got some sun and some wind, and I was just like, this was like a perfect day. Just to add like ten or fifteen degrees. But I thought it was a beautiful Sunday, and also very excited because we got PIP watch going. So Jackie in shadow in a nest high above Big Bear Lake laid three eggs. We've been watching them on the Big Bear Bald Eagle cam and yesterday they confirmed that there's a pip that means the hatching progress process could be starting.
Speaker 2: There's also a lot of snow.
Speaker 1: There is snow, so the pip was recorded like at three o'clock in the afternoon. That's when they went, oh, there's one. And then I tuned in and Jackie's sitting on the nest and there's hail falling on her. I felt awful for And now there's a bunch of snow, but you know what they're built for that. We'll be watching the nest. Very exciting. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. North Hollywood has been shaken by a three point nine earthquake. Did you feel it? I didn't. I was asleep. The templar hit at ten thirteen last night between NoHo and Universal City. The shaking was felt as far south as Orange County. Texts between former LA Fire Chief Kristin Crowley and the leaders of several agencies leading up to January's wildfires have been released. They seem to dispute Mayor Bass's claims that Crowley didn't communicate with her or her office about fire danger. Bass was out of the country when the Palisades and Eton fires started. Bass fired Crowley last month. Secretary of State Marco Rubio says the US is committed to ending the Russia Ukraine War. Rubio's comments come days after President Trump and President Zelensky had a tense exchange in the Oval Office as they were discussing a deal that would have given the US access to Ukrainian minerals in exchange for providing aid. We're gonna be talking with kfi's White House correspondent John Decker about that. More coming up at five twenty. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Anora the big winner from the ninety seventh Academy Awards. It won Best Picture and Best Actress for Mikey Madison got five awards in all. Adrian Brody won Best Actor for his role in The Brutalist and spoke out against hate.
Speaker 3: I pray for a healthier and a happier and a more inclusive world, and I believe if the past can teach us anything, it's a reminder to not let hate go un checked.
Speaker 1: Kieran Culkin and Zoe Saldana won for Best Supporting Actor and Actress. The ceremony pause to pay tribute to the first responders and firefighters who battled the devastating wildfires in La last month.
Speaker 4: Please welcome members of the fire service who bravely responded to and battled the Polisades.
Speaker 5: At a.
Speaker 1: Dozen LA firefighters took the stage, including LA Fire Captain York Scott and Pasadena Fires Jody Slicker. News brought to you by Semper Solaris. Text messages show coordination between former LA Fire Chief Kristan Crowley and other city leaders before and during the Palisades fire. An exchange on January sixth between Crowley, LAPD Chief MacDonell, and LA City Emergency Manager Carol Parks shows the three agreeing to activate the city's emergency operations center at the lowest level of staffing, which is Level three, because of a major Santa Anna wind event the next morning. The day the fire started, Crowley directed Parks to upgrade emergency operations to Level two, and as the Palisades fire got out of control, Crowley and Parks agreed to move emergency operations to Level one. Mayor Bass claims Crowley never called her or her chief of staff leading up to the fire. Baths was in Ghana when the fire started. Officials in Santa Fe, New Mexico, say the bodies of actor Gene Hackman and his wife, Betsy Arakawa tested negative for carbon monoch side poisoning. The bodies were discovered last week in the couple's home.
Speaker 5: The manner and cause of death has not been determined.
Speaker 6: The official results of the autopsy and toxicology reports are pending.
Speaker 1: Sheriff Aiden Mendoza says Hackman likely died on February seventh, February seventeenth, rather, that was the last day his pacemaker recorded an event. It's five oh six on your wake up call. So Academy Awards last night. I have some thoughts. IM not sure if you watched. Producer and said she watched, but she didn't really care. Will you watch YEP? I thought, overall, I think it was. It was. It was a good show. I agree, I think it you know, it went long, but we expected it to do. And I love the Red carpet before the show. I love the nuggets when they're talking to the actors and stuff and they don't ask what you're wearing, because they do ask that a lot, but when they get him to kind of open up a little bit. Aside from that, Oh, it's such an honor to be nominated, but sometimes they'll they'll talk a little bit and I think that's, you know, that's kind of fun. As far as what they were wearing, I think Demi Moore was bedazzled to the hilt, looked fabulous. I loved her her dress. Yeah, Selena Gomez also had that rose gold fitted, blingy, fabulous dress. El Fanning was more of a classic look with a white dress with a bit of a train and a black boat. I felt very Audrey Hepburn. In fact, I think a lot of it felt like old Hollywood, which I kind of liked. Was a classy. Yeah, it's unlike you know, the Grammys where everybody's half naked. Sure, I think it was beautiful. I liked Adam Sandler No, that was a bit though. Timothy Schallomey Charlomagie in almost neon yellow. I dug his outfit. I think it worked for him. Ari on A Grande looked like Glinda from Wicked in her little pink perfection and I wanted to see her sitting down in that get up, but then she changed her dress. So anyway, I love, love, loved the open. There's no fight.
Speaker 2: We cannot.
Speaker 1: Just you would have thought that Wicked was going to take home everything by the way that they started the show. I think, uh, it was just great to see Ariana Grande come out in that ruby red sequin dress or maybe it was diamond, maybe it was real rubies, who knows, but that was spectacular. I mean, man, can she sing? And I just loved Somewhere over the Rainbow. I thought that was a great way to start the show. And then they bring Cynthia Rivo out there. Didn't like her dress as much, but boy can that woman sing, and I just loved it when they paired up to sing defying gravity. I thought it was just a great way to open the show. Call it Conan O'Brien. I think he did a respectable I think it's a hard thing to do because everybody's just wanting to scrutinize you, and I think Anne said he was kind of milk toast he kind of was, but I think he did it. I think he did a good job. I did not like the way that he started though, because I didn't love the substance, and because it made me so squeamish with all the with the needles and the big gash in her back where a person climbs out, and that's what Conan O'Brien did. I didn't love that, but I get it so And as far as the winners, I didn't agree with any of the Top Acting honors at all. I think they all do a great job, or they wouldn't be nominated, but I think that there were others who did better, if that you know, I mean, but they're all top levels, so I mean at that point is the Oscar just sort of I don't know, it's just the trophy to take home. They were all They all did great, but they wouldn't have been my choices. And I really am sad that Sing Sing didn't win anything because Adapted Screenplay Actors something. Because it was the most heartwarming movie of the season I think, and like had a good message and stuff, and of course Anora was the big winner. I liked Anora. I didn't love Honora and I think that if there wouldn't have been the whole scandal with the tweets with the lead actress from Amelia Perez, I think that I think that it might have taken something. I think it might have won Best Picture, because I do I liked it better, and I was surprised that I liked both of the movies, but I liked that one better. And of course I'm glad that they included Gene Hackman, because there was all this talk like, oh, the Academy can't, can't get them get him included. This lady passed, you know, we missed the deadline or whatever. But I think that they did a nice job with that, and it seemed like there were which was a good thing. It seemed like there were fewer in memoriam, like we lost fewer actors. Yeah, last I went by pretty quickly.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Some years you just go, oh my gosh, we lost that person and that person and that person and that person. And I didn't feel like that this year. But anyway, overall, I thought it was good. It was almost four hours, but you expect it, and congratulations to the winners. That don't mean to be a downer. Everybody did a good job. But yeah, I think the Open the Wicket Open was the highlight of the whole thing for me. Of course, that was my favorite movie. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news room of protesters who targeted Elon Musk and his SpaceX headquarters in Hawthorne.
Speaker 6: Hundreds of people, many holding signs, lined the sidewalks outside the building on Saturday. The protest was called destruction of Our Government by Elon, a play on the Doge acronym.
Speaker 1: Kfi's Mark Mayfield says the protest was organized by groups against efforts to cut the federal workforce. Residents in Myrtle Beast, South Carolina, have been evacuated from Holmes as wildfires tear through the state. Governor Henry McMasters declared a state of emergency. North Carolina also fighting wildfires. More than one hundred and seventy wildfires have erupted across both states, forcing mass evacuations. Speaker Mike Johnson says Ukrainian President Zelensky may have to leave office after his public disagreement with President Trump. John Johnson told NBC's Meet the Press that Zelenski needs to show the proper gratitude for US assistants during the war with Russia and work toward ending it.
Speaker 6: Something has to change.
Speaker 5: Either he needs to come to his senses and come back to the table in gratitude, or someone else needs to leave the country to do that.
Speaker 1: Johnson also dismissed claims the US appears to be siding with Russia in the conflict, insisting that President Trump is still committed to opposing President Putin. Firefly Aerospace's Blue Ghost lunar lander has arrived El Cyclantic.
Speaker 5: We're on the book.
Speaker 1: The private space company in Texas landed its spacecraft early yesterday morning. The uncrewed, six foot tall lander was launched January fifteenth. Firefly's CEO Jason Kim says the Blue Ghost was stable and upright when it touched down on the surface. The landers already sent its first image back to Earth, showing dust at the landing site. Another lander from a different company is expected to arrive on the Moon this week. We're gonna be talking with ABC's Jim Ryan. He's gonna give us the latest on that that's coming up. At the bottom of the art. Love all these spacey things, Remember the first one that they sent to the moon, it landed and then tipped over, So that's why they made a big deal about this having a stable and upright landing. Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Junior says people should get vaccinated against measles.
Speaker 7: Kennedy, who has been known for vaccine skepticism, made the call in an opinion piece on Fox News Sunday. Last week, authorities reported the first measles death in the US since twenty fifteen, as a measle's outbreak has led to hospitalizations in Texas.
Speaker 1: Kfi's Tammy Trujillo says Kennedy noted that vaccinations are a personal decision, but he says the measles vaccine protects children and contributes to community immunity. Skype is shutting down. Kfi's Michael Kastner says users will be read redirected to Teams starting in May.
Speaker 8: Skype users can move their accounts to the Teams app, where the tech giant notes they can use many of the same features.
Speaker 1: A Microsoft executive called Skype an integral part of shaping modern communication. Well Cap is still on top. Captain America Brave New World remains in first place for the third straight weekend, taking in about fifteen million dollars at the box office. Not a big weekend of the movies. The Deep Sea survival thriller Last Breath debuted in second place. Yeah, that doesn't sound like any fun at all to me. The horror comedy, which I think is funny that they call it a horror in comedy, Monkey finished third. LADWP officials say they didn't know there were hundreds of fire hydrants that needed to be repaired ahead of the deadly wildfire and Pacific Palisades. The LA Time says LA Fire new thirteen hundred fire hydrants needed to be repaired months before the fires, but apparently didn't tell DWP. DWP says relies on the fire department to let it know if hydrants need to be fixed. Former LA Fire Chief Kristin Crowley will officially appeal her termination to city councilors. It happens tomorrow. She needs ten of the fifteen council members to side with her to get her job back. Crowley's a twenty five year veteran of LA Fire. She is still with the department, but no longer. Chief Harrison Ford had to cancel an appearance at the Oscars because of the shingles Is star Wars co star Mark Hamill took his place in presenting the award for Best Original Score. The Brutalist won that one. It was a beautiful score. It also won for Cinematography. Beautiful movie. We'll mention this. He said. I also loved the open before Ariana Grande and Cynthia Rivo took the stage. And I forgot to mention that, did you see that at the very beginning where they just started showing this montage of stuff around La, which I think they probably did because of the fires, just to kind of call attention to La. But I loved it. I don't know if it's like if you're not listening and in La, if it's the same for you, But for me and maybe for you in La, it's like, oh, I know that place, I know that place. I know that place. I know that place, So it's kind of makes you feel like at home. I thought that was a really fun way to start the show. Let's say good morning now to kfi's White House correspondent John Decker.
Speaker 4: Good morning, John, Hey, good morning to you. Amy Hook. You're doing well today?
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, so, We're talking to you because it was it may have been must TV, must TV. I can't say it must see TV at the Oscars last night, but boy was it must see TV in the Oval office on Friday. Can they come back from this?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It really was it. Actually you wanted to turn away. It was like a car crash. I really happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And the Oval between President Trump and President Zelenski, the meeting was going well, you know, for forty forty five minutes, and then it went off the rails and meeting over, no joint press conference, no signing ceremony concerning that mineral rights deal that the President was planning to sign with President Zelensky. And right now the relationship between the United States and Ukraine between President Trump and President Zelinsky not in a good place. I think it can be repaired. I think it can be repaired quickly. That's what President Zelinsky indicated over the weekend that he's committed to doing. He met with UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer, with King Charles as well, and a number of European countries, including the UK, France, perhaps Italy say they will step up to provide more military assistance to Ukraine, and also they're already speaking about that security that Ukraine has insisted upon before signing any kind of ceasefire or peace deal with Russia.
Speaker 1: Okay, So when you say that the European Union countries are saying they're going to step up, what does that mean.
Speaker 4: Well, it means that they will step up in terms of the military equipment, the military ammunition that Ukraine needs to fight this war. At the same time, also working on a diplomatic track to try to find a place where Ukraine and Russia can put a halt to the fighting which has gone on now for three years. And then lastly, once there is a piece, maintaining that piece, and that's what those three countries that I mentioned say they're committed to doing, putting their boots on the ground to maintain the security of Ukraine's sovereign integrity.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I was going to ask you boots on the ground, So that means that we would have European troops in Ukraine.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean they've spoken about that over the course of the past few weeks.
Speaker 5: The UKSA says.
Speaker 4: They're committed to that. Of President Macrono France says he's committed to that. So that's exactly right. No American boots on the ground. President Trump has ruled that out. Even President Trump's predecessor that and Biden had.
Speaker 5: Ruled that out.
Speaker 4: So it likely will be a European mission, not a NATO mission, but a European mission to maintain security in Ukraine once if there's a piece deal that is reached between Russia and Ukraine.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now going back to the Oval Office meeting where things went, as you mentioned, off the rails, So forty five minutes they're talking, and was this before reporters were in the room or they were talking for forty.
Speaker 4: Five reporters, no Aman reporters in the room for the entire meeting. You know, that's just I've been in the Oval Office countless times, dozens of times with various presidents, including President Trump, when he's meeting with the foreign counterpart, and typically it's just a photo op. They're just reading from prepared remarks and then the presses ushered out of the room. On Friday, this was happening right in front of the press corps. The argument that we saw happen right in front of the press corps very unusual. I mean, do meetings between the president and his foreign counterparts get contentious sometimes absolutely, but it's always behind closed doors. That's not what we saw happen on Friday in the Oval Office.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what was it if you said that it was going for forty five minutes, because we didn't see that part. We saw the fight. So what was it that turned it? What Zelensky said something that they weren't happy about, and then Vance chimed in. But what was it that really turned it?
Speaker 4: I can't get inside, obviously, the leader's heads, but I can tell you what was said that precipitated this blow up, and that's President Zelensky. President Zelensky said, look, you know, you have the luxury of having an ocean to protect you. We don't have that luxury. But he said, this is President z Linsky saying this, if a deal is cut that benefits Russia, you will feel someday the problems associated with cutting a deal that benefits Russia. And President Trump did not like that. He said, don't tell us how we feel. Don't tell us what we feel, and that, for whatever reason, that phrase just got under the skin of President Trump. And that's when President when Vice President JD. Vance chimed in saying, incorrectly, by the way, that you haven't thanked us. And that's something I mean, I covers Olenski. I've been in so many meetings with that world leader so often. That's like the first thing that he does is to thank the American people, to thank Congress, to thank the White House for all of the support that they have committed to Ukraine over the course of the past three years.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think maybe Vance was talking about that day specifically. I heard him say you haven't said that he did.
Speaker 4: He did, Yeah, but in the Oval office in front of the press corps. Indeed he did. That's the way he began his remarks by by thanking the President. Maybe it wasn't as effusive as Vice President Vance would have liked, but there was certainly a show of appreciation and thanks coming from President's Lensky.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, hopefully tempers will calm and they can get back together and get this done. John, thank you so much, appreciate the information and insight.
Speaker 4: As always, absolutely all right.
Speaker 1: Thanks. I love that we've got John in the White House and he's you know, he's been there, he's been in the room, so he kind of knows how it goes interesting stuff. Police in the German city of Mannheim say one person has been killed and others have been hurt by a person who drove into a crowd of people in the city center. One person has been taken into custody. Police have asked the public to stay away from the downtown area and stay in their homes. Southgate police say they've confiscated more than three hundred pounds of methamphetamine during a traffic stop. The guy was pulled over on Friday. Police dogs sniffed out the drugs. The drivers facing multiple charges. Police say the drugs have a street value of more than a million dollars. A sheriff in the Sierra Nevada says he plans to defy California's sanctuary law by letting immigration authorities know when he arrests illegal immigrants. Amador County Sheriff Gary Redman's says he is upholding federal law, which forbids harboring people in the country legally. California's sanctuary law, which was passed in twenty seventeen, limits police cooperation with immigration enforcement. Redmond plans to challenge that law. As President Trump promises a major deportation effort. The ACLU is suing the Trump administration to try to stop the transfer of ten illegal immigrants to Guantanamo Bay.
Speaker 6: The activist group argues there's no legal authority to transfer them to the detention camp and say the move would violate both federal law and the US Constitution.
Speaker 1: Kfi's Mark Mayfield says the ACLU clarified it is not fighting the government's authority to detain the group, only the transfer of the group to Cuba. People in La have said goodbye to a piece of southern California history.
Speaker 9: Fearful lost meals were served Sunday at the original Pantry Cafe in downtown La. The restaurant is shutting down after one hundred years at the corner of Figaroa and James Wood Boulevard.
Speaker 1: For me, it's more about like the history.
Speaker 5: It's been here for so long, so many Anzelinos I've gone in through these doors.
Speaker 9: The closure comes after its owners and a union representing the employees Unite Here Local eleven weren't able to come to an agreement on a new contract, so the Eateies owners decided to shut it down. Longtime customers waited for up to six hours to get one last taste of their favorite dish.
Speaker 5: I'm having the famous ham and cheese omble, same order I've had since I was like probably eight years old.
Speaker 9: Rems for the pantry say sales talks have been ongoing since last summer. Other Brooker KFI News.
Speaker 1: A dozen LA area firefighters have been honored on stage the Academy Awards. LA Fire Captain Eric Scott, helicopter pilot Jonathan Johnson Junior, and Pasadena Fire Captain Jody Slicker led the team on stage. The audience gave the firefighters a more than minute long standing ovation. Of course, the group of firefighters battled the deadly Palisades and Eaten fires, which started nearly two months ago. The ACLU issuing the Trump administration to stop ten illegal immigrants from being transferred to Guantanamo Bay. The acl U says there's no legal authority to move them to the detention camp. SpaceX is planning to test launch another Starship rocket. During the last test flight a month and a half ago, an explosion of the rocket's upper stage sent debris raining down near the Turks and Caicos. SpaceX says it has made upgrades to the rocket since the explosion. It's scheduled to lift off today from SpaceX's Star bas facility in South Texas. Uh, let's go to South Texas and say good morning now to ABC's.
Speaker 2: Fly Me Too. Let me play among the stars.
Speaker 8: I'm actually in North Texas. Let a. Galaxy Quest was one of the greatest and yet terribly underrated movies.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, it's one of my favorites. I just dig it. But I'm a big Star Trek fan, and yeah, you kind of have to be a Star Trek fan to get Galaxy Quest.
Speaker 8: Right and get the spoof that, you know, to send.
Speaker 1: Up that it was very good though classic. Okay, so we're back. We're on the moon.
Speaker 8: Yeah we are, well, at least somebody is on them and no thing is on the moon.
Speaker 2: Yeah. A.
Speaker 8: It's a robot. Essentially, it's about six and a half feet tall, about the height of Charles Barkley at eleven feet wide, and it landed on the Moon. If you're looking at the Moon from where we are, it's up in the northeast the upper right quadrant of the Moon, where it's sitting near a crater that's about three hundred feet three hundred miles rather across, and it's the beginning. It's experiments. It's got two weeks to get everything done before the sun sets up there and the thing goes dark. Batteries diet plunges to minus two hundred and fifty degrees and it's just sitting there for forever essentially.
Speaker 1: Oh so it's after two weeks, it's done. It doesn't like get fired up again when it gets lighting.
Speaker 8: Most likely it won't, you know. I mean, we've heard about these, you know, the deep space probes that work long after they were supposed to. They come back to life and they send back, you know, whatever data, and that might happen with this one, but at least for now, it's planned obsolescence. Has it shutting down about two weeks.
Speaker 1: Okay, so they got a lot to do in a short amount of time.
Speaker 8: What all are they doing, Well, they're going to do They're going to do drilling technology. They're going to look for new technology for drilling down into the surface of the planet, not the planet of the moon, regulate sample collection capability. So they're not really interested in what is going to be dug up with drilling or the samples collected, because they're not coming back anyway. It's more about the technology to drill into the surface. They're also going to try to answer this question. Amy. If you're sitting there in Los Angeles and you need to get somewhere, You're trying to get from point to point B, you pull out your phone, your smartphone, you tell it where you're going, and it gives you the coordinates or tells you step by step directions to get there. Would that work on the moon. Would you're smart on the moon? Work on the moon? Because the GPS satellites are circling the Earth. Would they tell you where you are on the Moon in relation to some other point? So they want to try to to get to the bottom of that mystery.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then you know on Friday? Was it Friday? Thursday? We talked to Nikki Fox at NASA headquarters. She said the other thing that they're trying that they're going to do is they're watching space dust, yes, and trying to figure out if that's going to interfere with their equipment, so they can figure out how to make it not interfere with their equipment. As they do more missions in.
Speaker 8: Dust mitigation and also radiation mitigation, they would have tried to figure out how to protect the future astronauts and future equipment as it passes through these deep layers of radiation on the way to the Moon. So yeah, radiation, loutar, dust, and just the general environment there on the Moon and how to make it more hospitable to human beings.
Speaker 1: Okay. And then there's another lander that's on its way in about three days.
Speaker 8: That one is going to touch down. This one is the product of a company called Firefly Aerospace based outside Austin. Intuitive Machines based outside Houston, has this lander that's supposed to touch down later this week, and it has a rover, the first commercial rover. So it's going to you know, be puttering around there on the lunar surface. Is actually going to roll around and do its work that way. The poor blue Ghost, the one that just landed there yesterday, it's not going anywhere forever.
Speaker 1: Okay. So the one that's got the rover. It's funny that we haven't had a rover on the Moon, but we have had one on Mars.
Speaker 8: I know, the little said the little helicopter, which was very cool. Oh yeah, yeah, it lasted a lot longer than it was supposed to.
Speaker 1: Okay, So is the one that's coming down with the rover. Is that going to be active for like two weeks and then it's going to go dead too or is it maybe gonna.
Speaker 8: Probably you know, they may have figured something out how to extend it. But I mean our day here, our twenty four hour day that lasts fourteen days on the moon, they've got fourteen days worth of sunlight until the sun sets, and once that happens, it gets extremely cold, it gets extremely dark, and these batteries it's still a fragile piece of equipment. You can't, you know, send a car battery up there. It's it's too much weight. So yeah, we'll see what happens with the one later this week.
Speaker 1: They need to get Wally up there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I guess you do.
Speaker 1: ABC's Jim right, two D two. I know it's something that'll tougher, right, Jim Ryan, thank you so much for the information, buddy. Yeah, yeah, all right, we'll talk to you soon. Time to get in your business now with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho. Good morning, Courtney, good.
Speaker 2: Morning, Happy day after oscars to you guys all tired too, well, you know what.
Speaker 1: The good news is the ceremony starts at four, so even when it goes long, you can still get to bed on time.
Speaker 2: So yeah, speaking not like New York.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, that's right, you guys didn't. They didn't finish till wet midnight.
Speaker 2: About midnight, So yeah, I had to turn it off with these early hours. He had to turn it off at a certain line.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you weren't the only one turning it off. Apparently Hulu had some technical difficulties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hulu had a bunch of issues. They experienced it right as the Oscars got underway. This is the first time the streaming service, which by the way, zoned by Disney, was broadcasting the event. So after about two hours, Disney said that it had identified the issue, without providing the details. But the trouble that we saw at Hulu comes as the Academy has begun the hunt for the next teaving home for the Oscars. Now we all know ABC has aired the Academy Awards for what seems like forever. Actually it's about fifty years right now, and they're going to continue to do so through twenty twenty eight. But the Academy opened negotiations last year with Disney about renewing the deal. But that window, the exclusive negotiating window between the two sides, that actually lapsed without a new agreement. So we'll see who's next to able to host them if ABC doesn't step in or Disney doesn't step.
Speaker 1: In, And it'd be interesting to see if there's sort of a fight for them, because you know, more and more people it seems like just don't care about them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like award shows when you look at what the ratings they've gone down over the years. But it's still it's an event that gets a lot of America in front of their screens. People talk about, people have parties around it, kind of like along the lines of the Super Bowl. So it is kind of a gem that most of these companies want to be able to have. And I'm sure in these negotiations a lot of streamers might be stepping in. Who knows what Netflix may do because they've been jumping in recently when it comes to a lot of live events.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they just did the I think the SAG Awards around Netflix not one hundred percent sure. Okay, So let's go and get into the business of food and when we have hot, spicy things like spicy cheetos and do ritos. They're all these bright colors. But somebody's bucking that trend.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, well we have the simply Ruffles Hot and Spicy that's heading the grocery store shelves today. So Ruffles is owned by Lace, which is owned by Pepsi. But you know, if a potato chip isn't bright red, how do people know that it's spicy? And that's because we're we always assign it with talkies or whatever kind of food that we have. If it's bright red, then it must be really hot food. So these chips are orangish. They're speckled with spices, but placed next to the Ruffles flamen hants, the chips are basically beige. So instead of artificial dyes, the new chips use tomato power powder and red chili pepper. And even though they are a lighter color, they definitely punch you in mouth with spice. But Pepsi says it's going to try to roll out about eight brands this year that don't have artificial dyes in them.
Speaker 1: Part of the Maha moment movement. Yes, exactly, before I let you go, Well, they might be toning down the ruffles. Sour patch kids are glowing up.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, so snackmaker mandoleis. They're rolling out these sour patch kids that give off a fluorescent glow under black lights. So, according to the Wall Street Journal, it contains an edible consetti made with a flavorless tumeric extract that gives off that shine. So it is the natural ingredient. I'm sure my children are going to be running for that.
Speaker 1: There's just nothing natural that sounding about that, though, so we'll see.
Speaker 2: There's also going to be Swedish fish glow ups. And I love Swedish fish.
Speaker 1: We used to get them after church every Sunday.
Speaker 2: Okay, aw, they are the best party. Do a candy any discussion, right.
Speaker 1: Courtney, thank you so much. We'll get in your business again tomorrow at this time right here on wake up call to see you.
Speaker 2: Lad, my friend.
Speaker 1: Okay. Hundreds of people have protested Elon Musk outside a SpaceX facility in Hawthorne. Protess chanted and held up signs criticizing President Trump and Elon Musk's efforts to cut government programs and cut the federal workforce. Demonstrators also spoke out against Musk four as they called it, undermining democracy by serving as an unelected official. The original pantry has closed its doors for the last time. The restaurant on Figaroa that opened in nineteen twenty four, served up its last meals yesterday. The owners are selling the property. We got a pip. Friends of Big Bear Valley of confirmed a pip has developed on one of the three eggs Bold Eagle Jackie laid in a nest high above Big Bear Lake. A pip is the first sign that an egg is hatching. The pip was spotted yesterday afternoon, right before it started haling and snowing. The eggs could hatch at any time in the next week or so. We're just minutes away from Handle. On the news this morning, the Humas Israel ceasefire is on super shaky ground. Bill's going to tell you more about that right now. Let's check in with ABC's Mike Debuski. So, Mike, what are your overall thoughts on the ninety seventh Academy Awards.
Speaker 5: I think this was a huge night for independent film amy. If there's any takeaway, it's that these smaller movies really did get their time in the sun. At the ninety seventh Annuel Academy Awards. The big winner of the night, of course, is Anora. This was a movie that was only made for about six million dollars or so tells the story of a sex worker in Brooklyn who falls in love with the air to a Russian fortune and then kind of things go awry over the course of one particularly exciting night. This movie took home of five different oscars. It took home the award for Best Director Sean Baker, who we heard from several times over the course of the night. Again, small little film, so he also wrote this movie took home Best Original Screenplay. It won Best Actress in a Leading Role, kind of upsetting the conventional wisdom that Demi Moore was going to win that prize for the substance. Mikey Madison from Anora took home that prize, and of course it won the biggest award of the night, which was of course Best Picture.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I didn't agree with that, but you know, were there any real surprises aside from Mikey Madison taking it, Because, as you mentioned, Demi Moore was sort of the favorite for this one.
Speaker 5: She was sort of a favorite. Though it is worth mentioning if you go back historically, the actress in a leading role category generally does go to a younger actress. For whatever reason, Academy voters like to go for the sort of up and comer in that category, versus the actor in a leading role category usually goes to a sort of elder statesman sort of figure, a more established actor, and that was the case last night as well. We had a race in that category between Adrian Brody for The Brutalist, another independent film, and Timothy Chalomey for a complete unknown. Timothy Shalamey just turned twenty nine back in December. He was sort of thought of as the spoiler candidate here. But Adrian Brody took home his second Oscar he won in two thousand and two for his role and The Pianist, now winning for this ten million dollar independent film about the post war immigrant experiment experience in the United States. This movie that kind of captured a lot of attention for a number of different reasons. It's very long, obviously has an intermission. It's eight hours plus. It was three and a half the followed three and a half. Yeah, but I will say I, having seen it like that movie, does it sounds crazy? But it is paced very well. It doesn't feel that long, and I think that's a testament to its editing, which it did not win Anora One Best Editing at which you know, was another one of its trophies that it took home last night. I'm trying to think I have any other sort of big surprises. There was not a ton of huge surprises other than things that we kind of expected a couple of weeks ago, right, you know, if you rewind to when the Oscar nominees were announced, Amelia Peretz seemed to be the odds on favorite. It garnered thirteen nominations across the twenty three different categories that we talk about here. It was a huge number. But last night it really only took home about two awards, won for that Supporting Actress for Zoe Saldana and Best Original Song. And I think a lot of that has to do with some of the controversy that that erupted around that movie in the weeks leading up to the Oscars. Again, not a surprise. We could have guessed that when those controversies kind of came to the fore, some bad, you know, controversial social media posts from its lead actor, you know, it's treatment of some of its sort of topics, including the trans experience, experience, and you know violence. South of the Border really did kind of divide opinion that that film. So it seemed like that movie the shine was taken off of Amelia Perez going into the Oscars. But I guess if you had asked you that question back when the nominees were announced it it would have been a big surprise.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that I liked that movie so much more than I anticipated liking it. I thought that it was you know, because it had some like redemption in it, like if you're bad, can you become good? And it kind of gave you some insight into the whole transgender thing, like because it's it's such a small proportion of people, like you know, you go, what what is the thinking? How do you get inside their heads and kind of get you know what, like why would you want to do that? You know, because for the majority of us, none of us are going to do that. So I thought that they handled that so well, and I think it was really insightful. Where I don't I don't think Anora really, I don't know. I just I like a movie that there's some redemption and some good stuff that happens, and like people learn lessons and I don't think Anora they did.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, look, that's kind of the exciting part about the Oscars, that about film is that you can kind of have you disagree obviously with the way the Academy went here, but that's I think part of what makes the Oscars kind of fun to talk about. Yeah, you know, I think that you know, Anora is a movie that certainly itself divides opinion. There are a lot of people out there who don't like it's treatment of sex workers. Although you heard a lot of that talk at the Oscars last night. A lot of the speeches had to do with sort of elevating the role of the sex worker and making sure that those people have their time in the sun and are able to live a safe and well regulated life and what have you. So like that was a piece of this as well. But I would say I think that the the independent film sort of theme was the thing that kind of came through the most to me was that you know, these are not awards that you know, we hand out to the blockbusters, not necessarily the movies that everyone has seen. Honora did not make a ton of money at the box office, but now a lot of people are talking about it, and maybe a lot of more people would see it than they otherwise would have the opportunity.
Speaker 1: I called it the dirty or darker pretty woman.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, a lot of people call it the X rated a pretty woman. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you got to you gotta like the effort a lot. I think Conda Brian said, she said it over Mikey. She did a great job that she said the effort like more than four hundred times, and that was just her and then you it's not even the rest of the cast.
Speaker 5: It was right, which was actually a part of Speaking of Conan, that was a part of a larger joke that he was telling about Amelia Perez, which I you know, I don't think anyone really expected him to go quite there, but he made the joke that, you know, the the F word has used four hundred and seventy something times in Anora, and he said instantly that's the amount of times it was used when Carlos Escun's publicist learned about these old social media posts. So yeah, I mean he went there. I mean that's I mean to be expected. I think with Conan, who's a seasoned late night host. He's hosted other awards shows like the Emmys before, He's hosted music awards shows as well. This is his first time hosting the Oscars, and I think, you know, reviews generally positive. You know, he's a pretty likable guy, pretty funny guy, good bits throughout. He opened with a sort of reference to the substance. He had various bits throughout the night about not making the show go too long, because oftentimes it's a complaint that the Oscars tend to drag on a little bit. This was a long Oscars. It was about three hours, so yeah, which you know, people expected right there. They were kind of you know, buckled in for the long haul. That was being telegraphed by some of the producers going in that you know, we got some some longer bits here and that that's going to extend the run time. They didn't do what normally adds to the Oscars run time, which is the performances of the best original song. They traded that instead for a couple other things. They did a long tribute to James Bond. They talked about that.
Speaker 2: Without that, Yeah, it kind of.
Speaker 5: Went on for a while. Didn't it. Yeah, I liked the video segment. I thought the interpretive dance segment, you know, maybe would have worked on its own. But like, yeah, I just I looked at my watch a couple of times during that. But yeah, like things like that, I tended to extend the run time a lot. But then again, you talk to like awards watchers, people who really love this sort of thing, It's like, yeah, I don't care how long it is. I like movies, right, Like, I'm here to watch the Awards. Now, that's that's kind of why we're all here. So you know, it's it's you know, the back and forth that we always talk about during the awards is who therefore are they for the hardcore fans or are they for a more general audience? And you know, it clearly came down on one side of that isoleft.
Speaker 1: All right, ABC's Mike Tbuski, thanks so much, appreciate it, of course. Take all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four newsroom. A new access pass is now available for areas of Pacific Coast Highway that are still restricted to the public because of the Palisades Fire. The new pass reserved for residents, businesses, essential workers, contractors, and school and metro buses. It features the logos of the La kunt of Sheriff's Department, the LAPD, the City of La and Supervisor Lindsay Horvath's office. A jail inmate in Riverside County and two others are facing charges for allegedly smuggling drugs into the Bird Detention Center in Murrieta. Authority SA. Nicole gall and Heimi Garcia face charges of conspiracy and drug trafficking. A third person is in custody facing additional charges. Deputies reported seized reportedly seized fentanyl and methamphetamine during the investigation and fifty years after we learned it wasn't safe to go into the water. Donna Donna, A celebration of Jaws is coming to the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures. It'll be the first large exhibition that focuses on just one movie. There will be more than two hundred original objects from the film, including original shark design, schematics, and a prop dorsal fin. It's really big and one of Roy Scheider's original outfits. It doesn't open though, until September, but it's coming, Donna. Donna. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland Weather from KFI, sunny, windy, cool wind advisory in the valleys through tomorrow. You got highs in the lo to mid sixties at the beaches Metro La and inland O c fifties to low sixties in the Valley's, low to mid sixties in the ie fifties in the Annelope Valley. Clear skies tonight with those in the forties. Sunny, with highs in the fifties and sixties tomorrow, and then chance of rain returns on Wednesday and Thursday. And unlike the light rain we had yesterday, we're expecting heavier rain for Wednesday and Thursday. Forty six now in Anaheim, forty one in Canyon Country. It's fifty three in Redondo Beach, and forty nine in Inglewood. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King, you can always hear wake Up call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.