Speaker 1: Yeah, ripped, so you don't have the running just as fast as we can.
Speaker 2: Shooter's gonna help come Man Dix. Is the Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 3: Now, Tom Martino, Hey, welcome to the show. I'm Tom. It's car day today. I have Jeff Vick with me from Kimmera transmission at the Martino Remote studio, and we have Mark and Suzanne and the gang. I guess we have some experts showing up there as well at the Mothership right now. I just see Marky Pooh there and Susan, and Susan is there.
Speaker 4: And Griffin Ash with Action Automotive.
Speaker 3: Griffin, Hey, bro from Action Automotive. Let's go to the phones and then we'll tap our experts, sue the show and talk about whole bunch of stuff. One of the things we're going to have to address sometime today is this Social Security number breach. It's worse than I ever imagined when I started looking into it. It is augh. It is a giant, giant mess and it could end up getting a lot of people in trouble from identity theft. But first, let's talk to Sharon about a fence issue. Yet wants to talk about a washer from appliance factory, and we used to get a lot of complaints about a flying's factory. And then we have Doug wants to talk about reversals. So Sharon, what's going on with your fence?
Speaker 5: Well, I guess it probably started. I mean last year. I had a fence built last year on one side of my art beautiful fans, beautiful job.
Speaker 3: Okay, problems.
Speaker 5: Decided to hire the same company for the same guy to do the fence between mine and my neighbor's yard. Okay, gave him money for materials, which I know shouldn't do that up front, but I had no.
Speaker 3: You had you had history with this guy, right, yes? Yes? What did you pay up front.
Speaker 5: Between the two of us? Slightly over three thousand dollars?
Speaker 3: Oh wait, did you were you on yesterday? We didn't finish or was that somebody else?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 3: What's the name of this fence guy?
Speaker 5: Well, the current company name is Porous Peel r R As Exteriors.
Speaker 3: Now what was he when you hired him before?
Speaker 5: Dex and Moore? Which is it the same guy changed company names?
Speaker 3: Because hold on, though the last time when you had a fence built last year, it was by who was it by the same guy.
Speaker 5: It was the same guy, but I didn't realize when I hired him this year that the name of the company was different.
Speaker 3: That shouldn't have mattered. I mean, if the guy was the owner, it shouldn't have mattered. Who what what's the guy's name again?
Speaker 5: Well, his name is Raoul Amaze Amazelle Zeal actually the owner of the company. He hasn't been the owner of the the companies of the like.
Speaker 7: I've done some research there.
Speaker 3: But when you called back, did you call back the company or did you call back Raoul?
Speaker 5: I called?
Speaker 3: Okay, got you and Raoul was then working Okay, but Raoul was working for another company at the time.
Speaker 5: Yes, but the same people, the same woman owns this company.
Speaker 3: That wait, the same woman owns this one that owned the last one. Yes, okay, okay wow.
Speaker 5: And then I then after after our money appeared to have disappeared, I started doing a lot some research.
Speaker 3: On Now what do you mean disappeared?
Speaker 5: I mean he he was gonna this was just before the fourth of July that we gave him money. He was going to deliver the materials that weekend. Didn't show Okay, I email text him, where's are you know? Where's the materials when you're going to deliver them? I need to be able to be here. Blah blah blah, back and forth, back and forth over a period of like a month, lots of rinces.
Speaker 3: So you paid him personally or did you pay the company? Or do you not know? Really?
Speaker 5: I wrote, well, we wrote each of us. Myself and my neighbor each wrote a check to Andrea Porus, who is the woman who owns a company.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, okay.
Speaker 5: He came back to me to get additional materials and got another check for me, and that one was written directly to him.
Speaker 3: Okay, So how many two checks for how much were made out to Andrea?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 5: I made out a check for eleven hundred and sixty five dollars, and my neighbor paid twelve hundred half you know, her hat, half of her hat.
Speaker 3: So basically twelve twelve. We're basically twelve and twelve, so okay.
Speaker 5: And then he came back to me for another check the next day of seven hundred dollars, So I have paid him a total of eighteen hundred something.
Speaker 7: She's something.
Speaker 3: This is wrong? Oh god? So do you think Rayuel is a cheat? Or do you think she's a cheat? Who's the cheat?
Speaker 5: I think they both are because when I started doing some research after it appeared that my money had disappeared and he wasn't going to bring materials, I'm finding several different company names with their names attached to them, different aliases that they have used, different names that they have used over a period of years. I've found a judgment in Douglas County with someone who had a judgment.
Speaker 3: So where's this guy? Now, Let's just have no idea.
Speaker 5: I have no idea. He won't, He won't communicate with us anymore.
Speaker 3: He does it? Does his phone still work?
Speaker 5: I can leave a message?
Speaker 3: So his phone still works?
Speaker 5: I guess I assume. I mean we can call and leave messages. He just there's no return.
Speaker 3: Does he say hello, this is Raoul to rip off? Or does he not say anything?
Speaker 5: No, no, just Raoul? You know, leave a message kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Does he say Raoul? In other words, if I called right now, I could leave a message.
Speaker 5: I don't know if it actually says Raoul, or if it's one of those standard messages that you know, you get on the phone and you've reached this number. I can't remember. It's been so darn long since I've tried to call him, because he's just not returning any phone calls. The last thing I did was I don't know what we do? Did you email address? And two text messages to the two phone numbers I have for him, all right, saying please return our money by this date. It appears you're not going to do this.
Speaker 3: Let's just see if we can get someone to make some phone calls to see if they can reach him or her. It sounds like you got ripped off by both, So let's give this to somebody and and let him at least make a few phone calls. This sucks, Sharon, but you know what. It goes along with a post I made not long ago on social media and one that really we should recap. Do not pay money up frontever and you're safe when I know that, I want anyone to tell me where I'm wrong, because I say that's the only way to be one hundred percent safe. Even then, well, actually one safe from losing money, not necessarily having a clown. So who should we give this to? Kachina who's on today?
Speaker 4: We have Bo, we have Doc.
Speaker 3: Let's let bow, Let's let Bo take a tackle at this since he's been in biz and he knows the game that they play. He never played that game. Okay, three h three, haven't won three talks? Three oh three seven one three eight two five five, Hey, yits what about this washer from appliance factory? What's going on?
Speaker 8: Well, I mean it's it's.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 9: First of all, I wasn't expecting to zoom run in and talk to you.
Speaker 3: But okay, do you need some time? If you need a few minutes, I'll give you a few minutes. You need a few minutes, No, no.
Speaker 9: No, no, no, I mean I'm ready, I'm ready.
Speaker 3: I just okay, did you bought did you buy a used washer?
Speaker 9: It was it was not a used washer. It was a floor model came little factory warranty okay, And and uh we're about a few months after the wire ty expired and then my control board went out.
Speaker 3: Okay, so how many How long was the warranty?
Speaker 9: It was a year long warranty.
Speaker 3: Okay, got it? And so right after it expired a few days later, well, a few months, a few months okay, Well I was so, so do you this is not really appliance factories problem? Right?
Speaker 2: Or what do you think, well, I mean.
Speaker 9: I started with a plant factory. I was trying to get through.
Speaker 3: No, but what I mean, what I mean is like, what model? What?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: What brand is this?
Speaker 9: It's a it's a World World pool washer.
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 3: And how much is the circuit board? Gonna cost?
Speaker 9: Between two and three hundred dollars depending on where you get it?
Speaker 3: Okay, look, okay, hold on a second, let's see what we can do. If anything, I don't know, this might be a yeah, just a pain and the butt. Hold on, ye, it's okay. Three oh three seven one three eight two five five. By the way, waterpros dot net the best water systems. The lowest price is anywhere three oh three eight six two five five five four. You want great drinking water, you can get it with water proswaterpros dot net. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel roofing dot com.
Speaker 11: You don't pay a.
Speaker 3: Cent until you're contenth time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot Com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, your troubleshooter three O three seven one three talk seven one three A two five five.
Speaker 12: All right.
Speaker 3: It's bottom line is this. If you bought it and it's under warranty, when the warranty expires, that's usually it. Unless there was something wrong when you bought it, or it wasn't new. You said it was a floor model, And I don't know, man, I just don't know what you can do about it. I'm looking up Whirlpool circuit board problems and there does seem to be some quality issues. Did you look it up.
Speaker 9: I haven't done any other work. I called you first, and I really just wanted to check.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna I'm just gonna tell you the truth up front, as I always do. It's not always good news. If everything was done normally, everything normally, then there's not much you can do. Months after a warranty expires. You just can't. Is it throwing an error code?
Speaker 9: Well, yeah, I mean we kind of. We have a service tech out here and he misdiagnosed it, and yeah, so we're pretty sure it's the control board.
Speaker 8: It was nothing.
Speaker 9: Nothing is actuating to spin the valves, the drain, the pump, the all, that's that's not the issue. So anyway, yeah, so, I mean I just have.
Speaker 3: To you know, here's the thing. But we have had sometimes we have had if there were recalls or that's what I'm looking for. But it says here the board. The board replacement is pretty damn easy. I mean it's plug and play. Did you know that?
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean the machine is all taken apart. I'm looking at the board.
Speaker 3: Okay, so are you going to do it yourself?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean it's and I've talked to a couple of their texts on the phone and they said, yeah, it's most likely the board and it's so yeah, So I, like I said, I just wanted to call you first and check and see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, I get it, And I wish like within a few days by the way of the warranty expiring. Sometimes the typical including labor, just so you know, can be as little as two hundred and fifty dollars, right, and you know, you might want to try we have some good appliance people. Don't we still have a Mark and SIUs some good appliance people.
Speaker 2: I think we Jensen Appliance time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jensen's always been great. And then don't we have another repair place? I thought Mark signed someone up? Maybe oh they none.
Speaker 2: There were two brothers and they broke up.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, so yeah it's Jensen Appliance. You might just want to check with. I want to move on to Doug has a question about reverse loans. I'm Tom Martino by the way, Jeff Fix with a Skimmer transmission. Also Griffin Ash from Action Automobile. I do have a question for you guys in a minute here, Doug, go ahead with this question on reverse loans. What's happening?
Speaker 13: Yeah, good morning, Tom.
Speaker 9: Hey, I have a question about that reverse mortgage. What are the.
Speaker 14: Pros and cons of a reverse mortgage?
Speaker 10: Fees?
Speaker 15: And one of the tax implications?
Speaker 3: Okay, there are no tax implications for any of the money you receive. It's not considered income because it is a loan. Okay, Now, now what else did you need to know? Though? Because it's truly that simple? Now, what are the disadvantages? Okay? They're a bit more expensive than a conventional loan, and meaning about a half a point to a point. Now there's some upfront costs as well built into the loan, and they're a little more expensive than a conventional loan by about one thousand or two, not much more, maybe at the very outside of its complicated twenty five hundred. But here's the real disadvantage that people call a disadvantage, and that is interest accrues against your equity, which means it compounds. So if you accrued I'm just taking numbers that make no sense, But if you accrued eight grand in interest in year one, that eight grand is added to your principle. So if your principle was one hundred and now you have one hundred and eight thousand. Now interest will be against one hundred and eight thousand. Now let's say it's another eight I'm just like I said, I'm using fictitious numbers. So now you got one hundred and sixteen thousand going into the third year, and interest is figured on the one sixteen. That's called compounded, So it eats up equity. Does it eat up all of your equity? Theoretically?
Speaker 16: No.
Speaker 3: They design them in a way that you can only get at the very most maybe fifty you get fifty five percent, possibly sixty percent of equity when you're really old. They try to design even with the accrual of interest, you are still going to have some equity or at the very least break even. But no matter what, even if the house value went down the market crashed, they can't call the loan do And as long as you pay taxes and insurance, you can still take every dime that was promised, and if it accrues beyond the value of the home, your estate will never be left with a deficiency. Or if you wanted to move to Florida or a nursing home, they're about the same. You can you can sell it. And if you can't afford the UH say that the to pay off the loan, it's called it's forgiven. They don't come after you, so any if do you have any direct questions, those are the those are the facts.
Speaker 17: Basically, Okay, I'm thinking about can you recommend someone who can give me a good faith estimate on what the expense would be for reverse mortgage?
Speaker 16: And you know, in the years in the past, there's been a lot of talk about reverse mortgage.
Speaker 14: And how some of them have been on a shady side.
Speaker 3: Well, the shady thing about reverse mortgage what it used to be. The shady side used to be people who would show up at closing and try to get you to spend that money either through investing or through home improvements and all of that, or they would charge excessive fees and application fees and appraisal fees. But all of that is now controlled by the government. So if you get a licensed mortgage lender and they are controlled by FINRA, and you have a real government backed reverse loan, all of that is controlled by the government. So you're not going to run into that.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: Now, if you need, if you need someone to trust, Mark does Ideal Don't they do reverse loans?
Speaker 2: They do.
Speaker 18: I like CMG as well, they do reverse loans as well. Yeah, they have a lot of products, man, a lot of products.
Speaker 3: And is that other guy still on our referral list?
Speaker 2: Which one?
Speaker 3: What's his name?
Speaker 1: Uh? Kurt?
Speaker 3: No? No, No, he used to do reverse loans. Uh, he's a he's a nice guy. I just oh, yes, he's still on um No, okay, I.
Speaker 18: Would just I would lot of those guys ran into trouble man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not intentionally, right, because the interest rights.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, So anyway, I I think what you're gonna find is, uh, if you go to CMG or Ideal, I think you're gonna find some pretty good uh, some pretty good stuff. Uh. They'll be straight with you on that. Three h three seven one three eight two five five. All right, now, jeff Vic, what's better? They want to know, rebuild the one you have, the transmission you have, or remove and replace with an exchange. What do you prefer?
Speaker 6: Typically we'll build them in a house because we can usually save the consumer money. We're building the same thing that you get inside that exchange unit, but we can charge you for what we find damaged inside yours and not what everybody needs out of a buck.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you prefer to take what you have and only replace the parts needed.
Speaker 6: Then, yeah, when we're done with it, it meets where exceeds OEM standards. So I mean, if it went in doubt, throw it out, we're gonna build it. So it's gonna last.
Speaker 3: Okay, Hey Griffin, what's your forte do you guys do trainees? What else? Or what do you do? A general maintenance?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And we do it all.
Speaker 19: We don't rebuild automatic transmissions or or engines. But the most important thing is is that we're home with the best looking technician. And so I want to make sure that we get that out there. It's undisputed. I came in, I claimed it, No one disputed it til there's a rival to be known. I'm the best looking technique.
Speaker 3: Okay, So Griffin like, I like your I like your confidence. Anyway, Action Automotive, he's in Colorado Springs. We have more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show. And Frank Durand the real estate man, is the man to give you an analysis of your property if you're wondering what it will sell for in this market, because this market's going nuts now. You know, rates are down a little, inflation is settled a little, and there's more demand. So Frank Duran can tell you almost within a few hundred bucks. I mean, he is so good at pricing. Frank Durand the realestateman dot com. And there's no obligation to list with him. Three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot Com you don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage A dozen of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino here three O three seven one three talk three oh three seven one three eight two five five now, uh, Michelle has an issue with a transmission, and we have Jeff Fick here, and of course Griffin. There's a little bit of everything, aside from being the best looking technician in Colorado Springs not saying much. I mean, come on, have you ever seen Jesse yet? Honest, accurate auto. I'm just kidding, just kidding, it's the joke. I like Jesse. Okay, So what's going on? Michelle?
Speaker 20: Oh, yes, hi, thank you for having me on this. I'm new to your broadcast, so I want to thank you for what you do.
Speaker 3: Oh we love doing it. You should spread the word anytime anyone needs any help. It's three h three Martino. So what's going on?
Speaker 20: Well, I have a ninety seven Dodge Van and the engine light's been coming on and it's I know, I'm having trouble with the transmission.
Speaker 7: I moved here from Washington.
Speaker 20: State and so I drove this van here, and.
Speaker 3: How do you know? It's the transmission? How do you know? I'm just curious about how you.
Speaker 5: Because it's slipping.
Speaker 20: It's slipping, okay, when I, you know, accelerate it.
Speaker 3: How many miles I'm not.
Speaker 20: Getting in here? About one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's a ninety seven and you've kept it? Yeah, how long have you had it?
Speaker 20: Well, I've only had it a little over a year, almost a year and a half, because I traded it with someone in Washington State to drive here in it so I wouldn't have to tow a trailer.
Speaker 3: Okay, And did it run fine coming down?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 20: No? When I got here, it had other issues that needed to be addressed. I can't even remember what they were, but it wasn't anything to do with transmission.
Speaker 3: So so right, you go.
Speaker 20: Ahead, go ahead ahead, No tell me, Well, what I was going to say is what I'm mainly trying to do is see if you have any options for seniors, since I am a senior and I basically work to pay my rent because it's outrageous here, and I'm just trying to find out if you know of any places that help seniors get.
Speaker 3: Michelle, how old are How old are you?
Speaker 21: Sixty three?
Speaker 3: Okay? So are you on Social Security yet?
Speaker 21: No? And I didn't.
Speaker 20: I worked basically all my life, but I only worked part time and I was taking care of my parents. I didn't really get in. I will not be getting much.
Speaker 3: Hey, hey, why'd you come to Colorado for a fresh start or job or what?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 20: My daughter lives here?
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, listen, I we have we have places that that give people with this abilities a break and single moms a break trying to get to work and all that. Now, I'm not saying you're excluded from that, but we do have some that do that. However, that's not to say we can't find someone. First and foremost, what I think you should do is get an honest assessment to see what it would cost as far as an honest to god retail, okay, just to see worst case scenario. And for that I'd go to Jeff Vick if it has to do with their transmission on your van. You're well familiar with those vans, aren't you, Jeff?
Speaker 6: Almost definitely.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 6: One of the more concerning things is she said she has other running problems, and there are many factors that go into what can cause a transmission to go down. So she's got engine issues. Those may need to be taken care of the same time, what first, What.
Speaker 3: Did you get fixed already?
Speaker 21: Oh?
Speaker 20: I honestly can't remember. If I had known you would ask that, I would.
Speaker 3: Have gone about Okay, do you remember how much these past repairs cost you? Yeah?
Speaker 20: They were a few thousand dollars. Luckily someone helped me because I'm not in any.
Speaker 3: Position to How is it running right now? Michelle?
Speaker 5: Well, it's it's like.
Speaker 3: Not the slipping the engine. How's the rest of the van doing?
Speaker 20: It seems to be doing okay, no more.
Speaker 3: Check engine No check engine.
Speaker 21: Line light is on.
Speaker 22: Yeah, it came on about a month ago, and then it went off a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 7: But then it came back on.
Speaker 6: What are you thinking, jam, Well, it just really depends on what's sourcing that.
Speaker 3: Seltos How long would you say, to give a quick look there for her.
Speaker 6: You could drop it off with me one day, she can give me a call to shop. We can at least give it a once over. You know, depending on what those other repairs are, it may push this thing out of a reasonable.
Speaker 3: Accident, Michelle, I want to do that first. I don't want to put the cart before the horse, because we don't know what's wrong and it may be hopeless. And you see, I don't want you going to someone who says, oh, yeah, you know, we'll fix it for one thousand dollars and you blow the money for.
Speaker 21: Nothing, right, So yeah.
Speaker 3: I really think the very first step is to get an honest assessment, complimentary, just to see what's wrong, and then we can decide how to attack it. That's the best we can do for you, because because your prey right now, your prey for a lot of dishonest people, and we will never take advantage of you, of course. So what I'd like to do is just give you Jeff is near where are you located? Normally? Where do you live? Yeah?
Speaker 20: Like what areatte?
Speaker 3: Oh god, that's so far away? Hold on Lafayette Way up north? Right? Okay? Yes, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 6: Closest to Jesse, I think, well, no, he's Tom.
Speaker 3: Tom Tom uh uh, you know what we have hands on auto tech. Let's get let's ask Tom if he could take a look. Tom is up at where is he's up in Loveland area or south of Loveland? I think he would be way closer to you.
Speaker 20: Hold on, i would be petrified to drive that far though, I'm even nervous about driving.
Speaker 3: I mean drive that far. Well, I'm trying to give you a place close. You're you're petrified about driving near Loveland?
Speaker 22: Well only well, well, I'm not familiar with the area, first of all, and second of all, I'm not even sure that the vehicle would make it, to be honest with you, because when it slips it I can't move basically.
Speaker 3: Oh man, where is it right now?
Speaker 20: It's where I'm living. I live right across the street from the hospital.
Speaker 4: Fluid level and it just to make sure that's correct.
Speaker 20: Yes, yes, okay, that is correct.
Speaker 3: And the fluid levels okay, yes.
Speaker 20: If I went to an AutoZone, I think it was just right down the street and they checked the training, the transmission fluid and it was fine.
Speaker 3: How long when does it start slipping? Just anytime.
Speaker 20: Yeah, anytime.
Speaker 3: So it's not okay, So it's not like any predictable like when it gets hot or warm or you go a certain speed. It can be any time. Correct What gets it running again?
Speaker 20: When it slips like that, I just basically I can't move, So it's just like slowing down. And I guess it's just like connect or something like toad somewhere.
Speaker 3: I know it that's going to be. But Mark, I don't know who we can get to toe first, we'd have to get somebody to tow it free. Then we have to get it to hands on to look out. Oh I did well, yeah, I she has no money, but she has no money.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 19: If you get a good SAM membership for you know, fifty five bucks a year.
Speaker 3: It goes on a van. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, man, I just did it with I just did it myself.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Hold on, but what if you get the membership and it's not running the day you get will will they still cover that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 19: You just need you have to have the membership active for forty eight hours and then you get unlimited toeing with it. So if she knows where she wants to go, then she'd go ahead and have it toe. That's what my sister does to go ahead and have her car tow dwn.
Speaker 3: Man, wait a minute, so good Sam is not just promoter homes.
Speaker 4: Correct, it's not just formoter homes.
Speaker 3: You know, that's something to look into, Good Sam.
Speaker 18: It's I mean, Jeff, how much would that transmission run? Just off the top of your head, man, I mean she's still two three grand?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 6: Oh easily? Yes?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So I mean I I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well the value you don't even want to know what the value of your van is?
Speaker 20: Right, well, honestly, I would like to just get a more value of your van is seven hundred dollars? Oh yeah, okay, I mean.
Speaker 3: What did it? Maybe a thousand? What did you pay for it?
Speaker 18: It doesn't run time, the value is probably about forty dollars.
Speaker 3: That's right. I meant if it was running, Mark, I'm sorry.
Speaker 19: Unless yeah, then you can get it.
Speaker 3: So man, I hate giving you all this bad news, but you can't make the impossible possible.
Speaker 18: If we get where do you generally drive? I mean, do you drive to work?
Speaker 5: Or yeah?
Speaker 20: I drive to work and I would like to you know, I just get really stressed out when.
Speaker 5: I have to go grocery shopping because I just.
Speaker 2: Ready to get to work out risk.
Speaker 21: I drive the vehicle, okay, and hope it gets there.
Speaker 2: I got you.
Speaker 3: Well, you may want to drive it and hope it gets to the repair shop. But again I can't see it, no matter what it's going to, no matter what that repair and I think, Jeff, we'll go by that. I got to take a break. But Jeff, it's going to exceed the price of the vehicle no matter what, No easily, no matter if we wanted to help you out, Michelle. Now, if you men help you out is free. I know no one who can do that, no one who does that. Hold on, I got more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show. Go with a sure Thing Denver's Best Roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three O three, seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer. When you choose Frank durand the Real Estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martine, you're a troubleshooter. Hey, Michelle, listen, we just have to be straight with you, and I'm going to just tell you it really is not worth putting money into this van. You're almost better off taking that money and putting it towards something else. And you may want to try to get a car donated. I don't know what to say. You don't really have special circumstances that are considered special. You're sixty three years old. Now, I'm not trying to just dump on you here. I'm just trying to tell you the truth.
Speaker 20: No, I understand, we don't have an organization.
Speaker 3: We don't have an organization that helps a sixty three year old woman who just needs a vehicle and needs help because she doesn't make enough money. But I can tell you you're gonna you're in big trouble here if you try to fix this van. I mean there's almost even if someone was extra kind to you, it's not worth anything. And you can buy a new vehicle, not a new another vehicle. I don't know how much do you have a job right now?
Speaker 20: Yeah, I do in my rent.
Speaker 3: Okay, now, at the end of the month, you have anything left at all, about.
Speaker 20: Two hundred dollars if I'm lucky. Oh god, I don't buy as much groceries.
Speaker 3: Are you on food stamps? Have you tried food stamps?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 20: I make I make too much. I take home twenty four hundred a month, but my rent is sixteen oh five. And then of course I have my phone bill. I mean I have very limited bills.
Speaker 3: No, I know what you mean. I know, right, and nowadays, trust me, you don't. You're not living high off the hog on twenty four hundred, right, exactly. All we can tell you is right now you need to figure out a way to maybe even get whatever you can for that van and then try to get another vehicle. But I can't advise you to get this thing. Even towing it somewhere is going to exceed its value almost. I'm Tom Martino. I'm sorry, Michelle. If anyone has any ideas, I'll ask them to call in go with a sure thing. Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot Com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 21: With news need.
Speaker 3: Advice so you don't have.
Speaker 7: Come running as can.
Speaker 2: Shooter's gonna help him come Dix. He is the Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 3: Now, Tom Martine, Hey, I'm Tom Martine. It's Carl Friday. Welcome to the show. Jeff fixed with us from camera transmission. He is at my home studio and that the mothership is Major Mark, Major sus and Kachina colorI along with Griffin Ash from Colorado Springs Action Automotive Services. And what we're gonna do is put Griffin's picture up there. Mark. I want to see you close up because he bragged about you.
Speaker 4: You have Mark do that. He stepped out, but I'll tell him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because he said he's the best looking technician in Colorado Springs. So we got to see you.
Speaker 6: Yeah. But then when everybody sees him and knows he's he's not being honest with that. How can they trust him?
Speaker 19: Oh no, no, no, Now we've got to have a contest. Yeah, let's put the we have people vote on it.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, let's see what happens with that picture. If it doesn't break the YouTube feed, we'll call it good and our Facebook feed. Okay, So really, now let's talk. I want to go to people who have been waiting. Debbie wants to talk about not getting paid by a customer. Then we have two transit We have one transmission thing coming up with Daryl, and John wants to talk about a check engine light. So I'm Tom Martinez, by the way, Welcome to the show. What's going on, Debbie? What's happening?
Speaker 21: We are a small, family owned wholesale company in Englewood, Colorado.
Speaker 3: What kind of wholesale we have?
Speaker 21: We sell ice, melt and salt.
Speaker 3: Oh okay.
Speaker 21: And we have Performance Construction who is like two doors down from us that's been doing business with us for like five years, and all of a sudden, they won't pay, they won't return calls. I'm just beside myself and what to do next if.
Speaker 3: I can't believe in all these years you haven't had to confront this.
Speaker 21: Well, we've had one other company that we've had to take but you know, when it's a small amount. This is only one and ninety dollars. We had one for ten thousand. Quite some times.
Speaker 3: Where are your materials used? How are your materials used?
Speaker 21: They're used by landscape companies? Okay, put it on you know, residential homeowners that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: Okay, do you know where they were used? Were they delivered to the place or were they delivered to a home.
Speaker 21: They were actually picked up by Performance Construction. And they also are doing business by D and J. Johnson Enterprises. And he comes over with his forklist since he's just you know, a block away, and picks up a palette or two.
Speaker 3: Well were you time? Have you have you gone to talk to him?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 21: I don't know if I really want to go over there, you know, I just I don't know how to confront him without and if even anyone there.
Speaker 3: How long has it been, because I mean it's you know the sometimes with commercial accounts. Unfortunately, he can be up to sixty days. How long has it been?
Speaker 21: It's Spence, it's March.
Speaker 3: Oh, geez, does he avoid you now or is he still trying to buy a jag?
Speaker 21: Return calls. His name's Paul Cicero. C I C E r O.
Speaker 2: You want me to call and squeeze him? Yes, I should, Marr, I'll do it.
Speaker 21: You should, I am okay hisself?
Speaker 3: Don't no, don't give a cell phone right now? We want to do it. Okay? And what did you say you sold again? What was that salt?
Speaker 21: It's palettes of ice melt like mad chloride?
Speaker 3: Oh, ice melt? Okay, so really, Mark, this is weird. But if she knew it was used on properties, I wonder if that's considered like a leanable thing. But and not to punish the propies, but for them to lean on him, is what I was saying. So obviously this is something people buy only in the winter, right is that right?
Speaker 21: Do you have horse arenas that buy it too, for their horse arena keeps the dust down?
Speaker 3: Okay? You know I never even thought of wholesalers of ice melt. For goodness sakes, I mean, is it salt? It's so it's chloride, right.
Speaker 21: So do magnan chloride? And then we also have products that have some like chloride in them more of a sodium chloride mix.
Speaker 3: How does one How long have you been doing this.
Speaker 21: Since nineteen fifty nine?
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, holy crap? And uh do you supply the municipalities?
Speaker 21: Uh, not so much the big ones because we're more or for smaller businesses. We also sell water soft nor salts sure soft water softener salt. We bring it in from Compass Minerals out of Salt Lake, and then we're kind of the main wholesaler here in Denver, the Denver Mi caing area.
Speaker 3: This is it's hard for me to believe that you've never had you've never had to confront this before, where you might have a collection attorney or somebody on staff or not on staff one on.
Speaker 21: We don't have one on. We have very few people. We try to vom pretty much. So if they come in here, you know, we get payment upfront if we don't know who they are.
Speaker 3: What is your normal terms for somebody you do know? Thirty days net thirty yes, net thirty. Okay, you know Mark's going to call for you, so hold on three oh three seven to one three talk seven one three eight two five five. Let's just see what they say. Mark, you know look at people should get paid, right, I mean, there's nothing wrong with that. People should get paid, all right. So we're going to see what happens there. Mar I'm going to make a note, Marcus calling, and then we'll talk to Let's see who's next. Oh, Darryl, you have a question on your transmission and your engine on your eighty four Chevy truck. My god, we're having a lot of old vehicles. What's going on, Darryl?
Speaker 16: Okay, So I've got an eighty four Shavy halften fowl drive that I bought new. Oh wow, six thousand miles on it?
Speaker 3: Wait? Wait, wait, this is not a nineteen This is not a nineteen eighty four?
Speaker 14: Then is it nineteen eighty four Chevy Halftime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you bought.
Speaker 3: It new and have how many miles on it?
Speaker 8: Forty six thousand?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 7: And I keep it.
Speaker 16: It's always been in the garage unless I drive it. You know, obviously it's out when I'm driving it. But I I put it in the garage about eight years ago, and I started every now and again. But in those years they this.
Speaker 7: Pos three h five motors.
Speaker 16: Then you know, the transmission, I don't even know it's not it it's not that it's not the old three fifty and so.
Speaker 3: So wait a minute, So with that few miles, it doesn't get driven much, but you do start it up.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I started up.
Speaker 16: Yeah, but it even when I drove it, it's not the best transmission.
Speaker 23: It was like there.
Speaker 16: I don't know when yim used they get away with the old three fifty and they had they put this overdrive, you know, And I don't know. I mean, Jeff By knows what I'm talking about.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Jeff, what do you know about him?
Speaker 6: Yeah? That was the early seven hundred fours.
Speaker 3: So tell me something.
Speaker 16: So my question is is that that worse rebuilding or can I wouldn't even.
Speaker 3: Imagine with forty thousand miles, why do you have to read?
Speaker 6: Well, if nothing else, he's probably getting going to be getting morning sticks. It's here pretty soon. They literally getting what morning sickness?
Speaker 3: What are you talking?
Speaker 6: The rubber components inside get hold or just like your eraser will put into your pencil, and so a lot of times they won't want to seal, they won't want to apply clutches until they actually warm up and starts to soften them up again, and.
Speaker 16: That transmission wasn't even the best when that when I had the big up new I mean, it just wasn't. It just didn't perform like I mean, that's just like the three oh five motor.
Speaker 9: I don't know why the hell they put a three or five motor in them.
Speaker 14: But they did in those years.
Speaker 16: And I mean, you know, that was just I don't know. I think that was all through the up until like what eighty eight, I think, and they.
Speaker 6: Maybe, well they had different versions of it as as it grew up. You know, they made changes in it. And you've got a lot of problems inside that unit from from the factory. Uh so, I mean you're almost better.
Speaker 16: Often, right, That's right, Yeah, that's the right question. What can I put a Can I do it away with that trainee and put a put the put an old you know, the old style three fifty.
Speaker 6: Anything could be converted as long as you know, anything can be converted, as long as you got the pocket book to do it. Because there's a lot of other things you have to change. It's not a matter of you know, plug and play, you're gonna have.
Speaker 23: Just what would you do with it?
Speaker 8: Can you rebuild?
Speaker 16: I mean, if you rebuild it.
Speaker 9: Is it going to be better.
Speaker 8: Than it was some more.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for the cost of actually for the cost of actually building that one, you're you are better off getting an exchange unit that would fit a later model year, so something around in eighty eight or in eighty nine, because that's going to have all the updates and that, you know, between increasing the size of the input shaft, changing the design of the Sprague, there's a lot of different things that they did as those things grew up.
Speaker 16: And did they still have the over drive?
Speaker 15: They still have the over drive.
Speaker 6: Right, they still have the overdrive. It was just different generations of the same unit.
Speaker 16: So then what what give me a throw a dart at it?
Speaker 7: What would give me a ballpark of what would.
Speaker 6: I'm guessing that they're probably retailing online right now for somewhere around nineteen.
Speaker 16: Hundred and that okay, and that and that's just a plug and play.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you would take years out and stuff the stuff the other one. In the cost of how you happen to do that in house right now, I would exceed the cost of a box unit. So I'd recommend getting an already.
Speaker 14: Be No, we can do it.
Speaker 8: I mean, we can do it.
Speaker 14: Ourselves.
Speaker 6: But I was just you know that I just go through a reputable company.
Speaker 14: What do you miss it?
Speaker 16: Since it was new? But I I just want to get it, you know, I want to get it out and drive it a little bit more than what I have.
Speaker 3: And and you know what model? What model is it?
Speaker 16: It's a fifteen hundred.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well that's.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 16: I think it was Scottsdale in those years.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I mean it's you know that it it must doesn't look pretty.
Speaker 16: New, Oh absolutely, it's it looks brand new, yeah, the best, not even scratched.
Speaker 3: Tom damn. That could sell for some good money.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but I don't want.
Speaker 16: I know it's worth some it's worth money, but I don't want to sell it.
Speaker 8: I know.
Speaker 16: It's one of those things that I that was one of the first trucks I bought brand news, So you.
Speaker 3: Know, I don't want to know it. Is it four wheel drive?
Speaker 16: Yeah, old drive, and it's and it's got those pos hubs on them that they had.
Speaker 3: Been Do you know what they're selling? Do you know what they're selling for on classic cars?
Speaker 16: And I would I would throw a dart and say.
Speaker 3: Twenty five thirty five thousand, thirty fifty five.
Speaker 7: You know day for that, Tom, you know what a day for that?
Speaker 16: How much I gave fourteen thousand, six hundred and thirty dollars?
Speaker 3: Holy cramp. Now listen, man, you know that was a lot of money in eighty four. This one has how many miles on it?
Speaker 24: For that?
Speaker 3: And these are ones that sold the I can't owe the Oh my god, this one, I no, no, this this one is for thirty five. I don't believe it when they say they have a thousand miles. That's both. I mean, why would people just park it anyway? But in any case, it's worth something and it's worth getting fixed. And he gave you ballpark, So the best to you. Three h three seven one three eight two five five. Listen. This is the Troubleshooter Show. If you're having any problems with your AC or you're wondering about your heater, get a reliable second opinion or a free or a check up with eight eight eight heating dot Com. That's free second opinions eight eight eight heating dot Com. These people we know and trust for many many years. Three oh three seven seven zero two seven seven six go with a sure thing. Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Wait time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two pie Tom Martino here, Welcome to the show. Three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five Mark, did you call that guy about that business? Not yet? Okay, let's talk to Johnny as an issue with an engine light on a ninety one four Runner? Hey John, what's going on?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 3: Tom?
Speaker 15: Love your show.
Speaker 7: Listened to the Ball of tank Man.
Speaker 15: I got a ninety one four Runner. I pipped it up with a farm truck. It's only got ninety two thousand mile line.
Speaker 3: I can't believe all of these vehicles with no miles. Was it on your farm, John, No?
Speaker 15: I bought it from some kid who was his parents car.
Speaker 7: He was selling it.
Speaker 15: They got a new truck, so I wanted to get rid of my truck in my payments. And it's been a great car. I love it, but I've been doing some work on it, and I got a little bit of an issue with the check engine light because it's an OBD one. I can't plug in a computer and get an actual read on it when I accelerate uphill or in the rain.
Speaker 3: Did you say this is a Forerunner correct Toyota.
Speaker 15: It's okay, three pointed engine in.
Speaker 3: It there, bulletproof usually, yeah.
Speaker 15: And it's it's It doesn't have a loss of power, it doesn't stumble. It doesn't give me any issue of a mechanical problem. What it'll do with the check engine light'll come on, it'll stay on until I park the car, and then the next time I go to turn it on, the check engine light is gone. I can't get a read on it. I can't get it to slash a code for me.
Speaker 3: But it doesn't always. Does it always come on after you use it?
Speaker 1: No, it does not.
Speaker 15: That's That's where I'm kind of chasing my tail, and I don't know where to look. It'll happen only under an acceleration. Most of the time when it's uphill, but I've been able to drive it twenty miles with no problem, and then sometimes they'll drive it two or three miles.
Speaker 1: And the light'll come on.
Speaker 3: Griffin, what do you think.
Speaker 19: You're gonna want to get to a shop that has OBD one capability and get that code.
Speaker 4: That's what you need to start with.
Speaker 15: And gotcha because I got the little pin.
Speaker 3: How hard is it? Do you guys have the old readers or not? Are they? Are they gone?
Speaker 25: Now?
Speaker 19: I've got the old, We have the old, we have the set up to go ahead and connect to that. And just in addition to that, you know those are they're known for head gasket problems.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying that's the problem. Just be aware of that.
Speaker 19: But also if that timing belt hasn't been done, they have a shelf life, so you're gonna want to look into that.
Speaker 14: Gotcha.
Speaker 15: I do need to do the timing belt. I haven't had any engine issuing a loss of power with it, but it is coming up to due on that and the head gasket I had checked before I bought the car. The head gasket was good to only have a small leak out of the left balve, cover gasket, which I'm about to do next weekend.
Speaker 3: So and you said ninety one thousand miles two? Yeah, ninety two thousand wow? And does it look really good or is it beat up because it was on the farm.
Speaker 15: It's pretty beat up because it was a farm truck. But it's all cosmetic. The interior was great. It's just the outside it's a little rough.
Speaker 3: All right. So where where are you located?
Speaker 15: I'm down in Colorado Springs?
Speaker 3: Good? Then you know Griffin here has that reader and he's at Action Automotive Services. Griff And what's your address down there? Yeah?
Speaker 19: It's three three three five fill More Ridge Heights, Colorado Springs.
Speaker 3: Do you know where that is? Man?
Speaker 15: I got they written down. I could definitely google that.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool. Yeah, he'll be glad to hook that up for you and give you a look. See. Okay, let's keep going. Three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. DeBie, we we're gonna be calling. I'm sorry, I'm not gonna bring you back up again. Mark is gonna call during a break. It's uh, Chuck's turn. Progressive auto insurance problem? What's going on? Well?
Speaker 12: Tom, I got in an accident and it was my fault. God damage to the car. I'm trying to get my car.
Speaker 3: Was there another car involved?
Speaker 21: Yes?
Speaker 12: Okay, but I'm talking to Progressive and they're telling me the only way I can get my car fixed is if they fix it and repair it.
Speaker 3: Hold on, hold on. Are you saying that you're insured by Progressive and you have collision coverage? Yes, and they're saying you cannot get a check from them to get your car fixed. You have to go where they tell you.
Speaker 12: Correct.
Speaker 3: I have not heard of anything like that, unless, for some reason the new policies are contractual in that way that usually they.
Speaker 2: Can tell you that I did.
Speaker 3: They come right out and say, we are not going to accept the claim unless you go where we tell you.
Speaker 2: Know.
Speaker 12: What they did tell me is I could go to my body shop and have my car put in and repaired there, and they would go there if they're convenience, and pay them as work was being done.
Speaker 7: On the car.
Speaker 3: Well, what's wrong with that? So they didn't say you had to go? Why did you just say they won't repair it unless you go where they want you to.
Speaker 12: Well, I don't want the car repaired. Oh, I want to repair the car myself.
Speaker 3: Oh you mean hold on, you want to literally do it yourself? Yes, hold on a second, very good question. I want to get our insurance people on to talk about this. Yeah, I do to see what they have to say about it. Three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. Pro Bid Energy by the way, solar systems and honest people both commercial and residential, including all the tax credits, and for commercial systems, they even have grants to pay for all of it. Probid energy dot com. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two Martino your Troubleshooter three O three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. Okay, Now I want to talk to. Oh, we don't have Compass on yet. We're trying to get Compass insurance to talk about making your own repairs under an insurance policy. So hang on there, Chuck. We'll go to Jim. Now, Jim, what's going on?
Speaker 14: Bhi Tom, longtime listener.
Speaker 3: Thank you, man. What's going on with your car? With your your matrix Toyota matrix matrix? Well, I had a uh and this is another older one. This is an five.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: We're getting a lot lot of people that hold on to cars. Go ahead, Jim, I know it's no five.
Speaker 14: I got a good deal on it, same thing. I had forty three thousand miles on it when I bought it. Wow, and I got it for three thousand. But now the problems are starting.
Speaker 3: Wait three thousand dollars. How many miles did you say?
Speaker 14: I had forty three thousand on it.
Speaker 3: That's a pretty damn good deal.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it was a good deal. Now that was back in twenty seventeen. But now the problems are starting to come.
Speaker 25: You know.
Speaker 3: Now I got to so what kind of problems are you having?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 14: Well, this is it. I had a check engine, like come on, and it started running really rough. It was idling bad, and I, well, did.
Speaker 3: You do normal maintenance on this thing? You personally? Or did you take it to a shop? Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, I did.
Speaker 14: I did just you know, change the oil and things like that.
Speaker 3: And I know how many miles? Now how many did you put on it?
Speaker 14: So now it's got one hundred and seventeen.
Speaker 3: Holy crap, you put a lot of miles on it.
Speaker 14: Yeah, and nothing really went bad.
Speaker 13: So I did take it to a shop.
Speaker 14: They the code found a misfire and cylinder for So what they did is they changed out all the plugs and all the ignition coils. But they charged me eighteen hundred for that.
Speaker 3: Now I don't know that that might have been overkilled.
Speaker 14: But okay, now the same thing is happening. So I called them and they said, now, well, now that that's happening, we recommend that the cylinder head would have to be removed, most likely inspect for valve train damage or valve Yeah, pose it they burning And I'm just thinking, you know, how much money am I going to have to throw into this thing? Should I take it to another shop or should I?
Speaker 3: You should always get a second opinion, But do you trust the shop?
Speaker 14: You're a well it was. That was a lot of money and they can't get me in for three weeks.
Speaker 3: Well wait a minute, did they already do the part with the coils and the plugs? Right?
Speaker 14: Yeah, they did?
Speaker 3: Eighteen was too handsome for that, Griffin. Don't you believe that was too much for that? Yeah?
Speaker 4: That was too much.
Speaker 19: But I want to know did it a couple things? Did it fix the problem at all? Did they do a compression test? Did they do a leak down test? Those are all standard tests to do as you're diagnosing a misfire. Or did they just throw parts at it?
Speaker 14: No, they did do a compression test and the leak tests and all those came back fine.
Speaker 19: Okay, as you go ahead and look at it again, you know, maybe you have bad new parts. Me and me and Jeff were just talking off air, how we have seen multiple bad new parts recently.
Speaker 3: Oh but but you know, listen, man, as far as throwing money at it, that's going to be all what you want to do. It's got one hundred and seventeen thousand miles in five What do you think, Griffin? What do you think about that age of a vehicle and that particular vehicle The matrix.
Speaker 4: That's a Toyota.
Speaker 3: Man, they're solid. Yeah.
Speaker 19: I would go ahead and let's see what the problem is first. Is it a misfire and different cylinder? Is is it a totally different problem? That's little miles for a Toyota. So I would get started with let's let's find out what the problem is and then make a decision.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you're right, that'll go a lot more miles even though it's a little car. Is that a little four banger or six?
Speaker 4: That's a four banger?
Speaker 14: It's a four yeah, And again you know I bought it used I have. This is the only money I put into it, besides the serpentine.
Speaker 3: So right now, the only symptom is idling.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, idling, and it loses power. I mean I can't and it's when it warms up, so I can't really try.
Speaker 3: Does it lose power on acceleration or driving down the road or when does it lose power?
Speaker 14: Well, it's good for until it warms up, and then as soon as I stop at a light, it starts idling really rough, like it's gonna shut down.
Speaker 3: Could it be a simple tune up? Guys, there's that silly hold on he just.
Speaker 6: They kind already did a simple tune up when they went through and replaced all the plugs.
Speaker 14: Eight bucks, Yeah, I know eighteen now someone that.
Speaker 6: Would be rightful the beginning.
Speaker 3: Yang not so when it warms up. I don't understand why it would only get rough when it warms up. Could it be something silly like vapor locking?
Speaker 19: But you could have like an EGR valve that's that's stuck that that could call something like that.
Speaker 3: Jim, where are you located? What part of what part of Colorado are you?
Speaker 14: I'm writ in Denver.
Speaker 3: Actually go to Sheridan Auto Tech. You know, Kevin will take Kevin will take a look and and and do that for nothing. I mean he'll take a look at it. And then if you if you take it and make an appointment, they go up to one hour of diagnostics at no charge. I mean, it's really worth it. But it's sounding like guys, correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't it sound like something simple? I mean meaning not that largely.
Speaker 6: The likelihood is it's going to be a smaller repair, something pretty simple.
Speaker 3: So that's the good news, I think, because you got a solid car. And again, it only happens when it heats up, and you know, so when when you turn it off again and turn it back on, it's it's it runs again. Fine, right, it only only when it heats up, so that that gas recirculation valve does sound like something as possible.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean he could have about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anyway, Sheridan Auto Tech is on Wadsworth, excuse me on Colfax west of Wall. That's worth Chuck, what's going on with you?
Speaker 12: Hey, I'm still for Progressive Insurance.
Speaker 3: Oh, we're waiting for Compass. Ka, Gina is Compass around both there?
Speaker 26: Cell phones are going straight to voicemail and nobody is texting me back, so I think they're unavailable.
Speaker 3: We'll try hold on, Chuck still and Mark, did we make any progress on calling?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I left two messages.
Speaker 3: Oh, we left messages, Debbie. What we're going to do is get a hold of them. Okay, right now, we got messages into them. This is a wholesale supplier of mad chloride who says she's got a small order, never been paid for, and she's kind of pissed and she wants to know what to do. And you know obviously that you can always take matters into your own hands. With a small claim, get a judgment, and then hell. You know, when you do business as a business and you don't pay your your bills, there is a lot that can be done upon collect Years ago, we had a hot tub dealer who took money up front, did not come through for people. We had an attorney who went out and got this, got a judgment against him, and they went and did a rid of execution and literally removed stuff from his business and sold it literally because he wasn't paying his bills. So you're gonna have a lot of recourse if you get a judgment. But maybe it's a simple matter of just shaking the trees loose and he'll pay the bill. I'm Tom Martino three oh three seven one three talks seven one three A two five five Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass insurance paying too much coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hey Tom Martine here three all three seven one three talk three oh three seven one three eight two five five. Basically, when when you're not paid by a vendor or buy someone who does business with you, I guess a vendor is someone who buys from you. But when you buy from someone or someone, excuse me, if someone buys from you and you're not buying from them, if they owe you money, every business should have what I believe is the collection attorney that they use all the time, and someone who can really just turn up the screws when they have to. Now, what about businesses. Lately, We've been getting calls from businesses on and off the referral list, so we can't say they're all bad businesses. They're all good businesses. There's some mixture of businesses where consumers are pissed off and refuse to pay, And I don't know if that's happening in the auto repair business, but I think a lot of people wait until the end or near the end and say I want a reduction or I'm not paying the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then you just don't give them the car back though. That's pretty straight.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: With the auto business, I guess you would. Right. With the auto business, you have the lip leverage. Have you ever had to lean a car?
Speaker 6: No? I have not.
Speaker 3: That's good really.
Speaker 2: I used to just send a toe truck out.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 18: If I got a bounced check, I'd send JJ out he'd hooked vehicle.
Speaker 2: I'd have it back that day.
Speaker 3: Did they ever challenge that mark, because technically are supposed to go through this.
Speaker 1: Know all.
Speaker 3: I guess when people owe money, they can't challenge very much.
Speaker 18: I've had I had one. They called the cops. I mean I didn't care. The cops showed up. I said, the check bounced, I got the car back. Cop didn't care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because they can't really practice law.
Speaker 6: No, we had a neighboring shop that the vehicle was done. Customer came and collected it off their lot in the middle of the night, and the cops wouldn't get involved all this. It was a civil issue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's basically stealing if you really think about it.
Speaker 6: Toft of services.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well yeah, now you.
Speaker 18: Just got to know there's a lot of tow truck drivers that won't do that. You got to know a tow truck driver that'll just go hook it for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So Mark wants to talk about twenty fifteen Honda CRV. By the way, today is car Day, but we'll talk about anything you want as well. But we have our car experts here today. So Mark wants to talk about starting. Now, you know, what about it? What about the twenty fifteen Honda CRV. How many miles on it?
Speaker 8: It's got like one hundred and eleven thousand?
Speaker 3: Wow? And does it start? Is it hard to start all the time or just first start of the day or what? No.
Speaker 8: So it's a car that my mom had and then our daughter bought from my mom and she had problems with it at the end where it was it's gone a parasitic load on the battery.
Speaker 3: Oh, so do you think it's electrical?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's electrical for sure.
Speaker 3: Oh and you can't trace it.
Speaker 8: Well, I haven't spent the time on it. I've I've looked at stuff online and it sounds like it's a known problem. When my mom took it to the Honda dealer, they replaced I guess there's a you know, a door handle switch or something because of the auto lock and the push button start feature all that, and uh, it's been fine for too.
Speaker 3: How long does it take? How how old is the battery by the way, so it's right at two years, and and how long does it take to when you can't start it? Like if you if you park it at night in the morning, it won't start.
Speaker 8: Right that's where we're at today.
Speaker 3: But but if you went to the supermarket, you could come back out and start it.
Speaker 8: That's kind of a roll of the dice right now, and the battery would take. So we've tested the battery. They're saying the battery test fine, But I just didn't know what the guys that that.
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 19: Yeah, hey Mark, Yeah, hey, hey, this is griffing with Action Automotive.
Speaker 4: Hey, they're for Honda for years.
Speaker 19: They're super common for the A C compressor clutch relay to stay engaged and that will go ahead and kill uh kill that battery. So if you want to go ahead and try to once you get a run and pop that relay out and see if the problem comes back. If it does, don't, uh, you go to Honda and pick up that relay or AutoZone.
Speaker 3: Now is that relay a plug and play that?
Speaker 19: Just say yeah, it's plug and plays right under the hood. It's labeled nice and clear. Uh, there'll be one for the condenser, one for the actual compressor.
Speaker 4: You want the ones for the compressor.
Speaker 3: And so the AC compressor relay, if it sticks, it can it can have a parasitic load.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the compressor clutch relay. That's it.
Speaker 3: Mark, you ought to try that, man, that could be it.
Speaker 8: I'm doing it, thank you.
Speaker 3: Sure, let us know for the heck of it. That would be great. Griffin, that's pretty cool that you work for Honda and know about that speaking. Okay, So let's I don't know if I have time to take a new call, So we'll get right to you though. And as you can tell, we got our experts and they're hitting on all cylinders today, pun intended. And when it comes to Hondas though, since you've worked for them, I have a couple other questions that came in on Honda's we'll talk about that and more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show. Three oh three seven one three Talk Kit. You calls him right now three oh three seven one three eight two five five more. Right after this, go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're contenth time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ripped dumd News need advice so you don't have.
Speaker 15: Come running Just as fast as we can, Shooter's gonna help come man.
Speaker 2: This is the Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 3: Now Tom Martino, Hey, Tom Martino here, Welcome to the show. Beautiful Friday. Let's get things done. Solve your problems, answer your questions, take your complaints. Make life a little easier as we've been doing here for forty five years in Denver. Hey, let's talk. We got car day today, but we'll talk about anything you want at three zero three seven one three talk three O three seven one three A two five five, So people have been texting me at my private Google number seven four seven fifty eighty. You can do that twenty four to seven and we can even call you back for the show if you need it. And you can also text the iHeart number five seven seven thirty nine. But my Google is seven four seven nine nine nine fifty two eighty one. Guy sent me an odometer on his O four Honda Accord saying this was a vehicle he had, or this is a vehicle with normal maintenance he has with two hundred and fifty five thousand miles. Come on, is that is that so? Jeff?
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, that's entirely possible. My son got three hundred and twenty seven thousand miles out of his Chevy pickup before it got storm.
Speaker 3: Now let's talk Griffin. You worked for Honda, that's right? Is are they known for high mileage? Yeah?
Speaker 19: The unfortunately the V six doesn't have the best transmission. But overall they're solid vehicles.
Speaker 3: And do you think they're more solid than Toyota.
Speaker 19: I think they're both super solid. I think Toyota is definitely more precise. It makes up a nicer vehicle. But as far as longevity, uh, I think they go hand in hand. They're they're both really good vehicles.
Speaker 3: Now longevity, do you think Japanese beat everyone when it comes to longevity? Yes, all else being equal, Yes, yes, I can agree with that. Really, what about German cars? What do you think? Griffin? Uh?
Speaker 4: You know, they're kind of a different animal.
Speaker 19: Once you get used to working on them, everything's kind of like sectionalized. It's almost like legos, you know, you know, like with a Volkswagen or Audi. You go to the timming belt, the whole the whole front end just kind of comes off and you got all of a sudden, you've got plenty of room.
Speaker 4: And as long as you got the special tools.
Speaker 19: To work on them, they're they're fault tracing diagrams and flow charts are pretty.
Speaker 3: What about longevity do you think?
Speaker 4: Oh long jevit? No, No, no, Usually they're all dogged out?
Speaker 27: Man?
Speaker 3: Why why is that? Why that everyone says that German cars are so beautiful and so nice and luxurious, But you get forty or fifty or sixty I'd.
Speaker 6: Say around sixty five thousand, dump it.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I concur really, as Frank aby Neil Junior would say, I concur.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's go to the phones and we have Bruce a question on a fuel system of fourteen Chevy Equinox.
Speaker 14: Bruce, Hey, guys, thanks for taking my call. Yes, sir, I got a twenty fourteen Kia Optima or a Equinox. It's got one hundred and twenty five thousand miles on it. I do have a diagnostic tool, so I did get some readings. But here's what's going on. I live here in Texas as one hundred degrees. My wife was driving the car, and of course, you know, she she came from Dallas to San Antnio. But anyway, one hundred degrees out, you know, pavements, hot, all that good stuff. Pulled in to get gas and she shut the car off. All right, I'm sorry. She left the car running. She unscrewed the fuel cap to put fuel in and the car quit. So right away, I think there's the fuel issue, fuel pump issue, stuff like that. So she has to hold accelerator down, it starts, she takes off, she gets the back home, she gets back to San Antonio. I run some diagnostic on it, and the fuel pressure where the pump in the tank is showing forty to fifty pounds psi, and then the high pressure pump on the rail, depending on how I step on accelerator is anywhere between eight hundred eighteen hundred and psi. So I don't know what the issue is. You think it's a throttle position sensor. I mean, because it just happened to me last night. I went and drove it. It was hot, I shut it off, but when I went to start it, it wouldn't start, and it would try to auto start. Did it do that all the time, No, it doesn't. So I had to hold the accelerator down and it did finally start, and it runs fine. I mean after it runs, it runs fine. But it sounds like a fuel delivery system issue.
Speaker 3: Which could be anything. I mean, guys, what do you think.
Speaker 4: Are you getting any codes?
Speaker 14: No? I'm not, And I just tuned it up. I just did a new set of plugs coiled.
Speaker 3: Did this just all of a sudden happened?
Speaker 14: Well, yes it did. I mean she was up in Omaha and coming back to San Antonio, and of course you know that's nine hundred miles it's hot, but the air conditioner wasn't working, right. I got picked though. I don't think that's related at all to this, But yeah, she pulled in, she unscrewed the gas cap, and the car quit. So it's like it lost pressure and starved fuel.
Speaker 6: Well, you said you were getting about forty pounds at the fuel pump, but that's from when it was running and working. Did you try it again when it did start to act up on you and see if you didn't have a fuel pump that was acting up.
Speaker 14: Every time I check it. It's somewhere between forty and fifty pounds.
Speaker 3: And you can do that while it's running. I mean, you can you check it?
Speaker 6: Will it? Kind of more more so that since it seems to be an intermittent problem. When the problems occurring, you.
Speaker 3: Do you do that from a on the line like a te off the line.
Speaker 6: Or something basically a straighter valve that you take came.
Speaker 3: And see what the pressure is. So are you saying that the fuel pump could be just giving juster erratically.
Speaker 6: He's giving up? Yea, So when when the problem occurs would be the best time to test that? Not in between?
Speaker 14: Okay? Yeah, I mean, like I said, I filled it up last night and then it wouldn't start on me, and I left it crank to try to crank to see what to do, and it didn't do anything. I finally put my foot on the accelerator.
Speaker 3: Now what would that do?
Speaker 14: Or it started up?
Speaker 20: Well?
Speaker 6: Right after Philip, I'm wondering if he's got some sediment in the tank that's getting stirred up when he fills it.
Speaker 3: But what would holding his foot on the accelerator youmand more fuel and flushing out? I mean, and did you check the obvious stuff like your fuel filter and all that.
Speaker 14: I have not replaced the fuel filter on it yet. That's gonna be my next step.
Speaker 3: Guys. Could be a fuel filter.
Speaker 4: I don't think that has a serviceable No, yeah, that's a filter.
Speaker 6: It was part of the pump side the tank.
Speaker 3: So you don't really service it.
Speaker 14: Yeah, but yeah, it's just odd. I mean, like I said, it's my funeral pressure seat because I thought it was a high speed or high pressure or fuel pump. But I mean everything I'm seeing.
Speaker 3: On my You know a lot of times when stuff like this happens, you guys say, pull a code. Right, would a code show this.
Speaker 6: If a fuel pump's going bad? Most likely not?
Speaker 3: Oh it won't. No, will it hint at anything?
Speaker 6: No? Not I mean, at most you might see a lean condition or risk condition or something like that. But when a fuel pump goes bad, you're not going to a warning light.
Speaker 3: Guys, you know one. It just sounds like it's either a pump or I mean, what else could it be if it wasn't the pump? Really, what else could it be? Is there something you mentioned sentiment? What if your fuel filter is non serviceable but it can still get clogged?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 6: Yeah? And in both cases he said that it's right after Phillips.
Speaker 3: So if it's if it's non serviceable so to speak, it doesn't mean non serviceable. It just means you don't maintain it until it goes bad.
Speaker 6: Right, and you change it long enough pump.
Speaker 3: So those are the two things I would check. And and any good fuel guy will, I mean a mechanic will say, look the filter and the pump. I mean, those are the two you check right away.
Speaker 19: And Speck is showing on this it should have about sixty five to seventy psi on the on the low pressure fuel pump, you know, the one in the tank, and that it it may if it's having a high pressure fuel pump failure, it may kick a p zero zero eight seven code.
Speaker 3: Why would they have both? Why do automobiles or motor vehicles have both high and low pressure? What is the what is that for?
Speaker 6: I need to get the pressure pressure in order to get it up there. But then most vehicles now are running pop off injectors or pulse model modulated injectors, one of the two, so you have to have a certain amount of pressure just to open up that injector.
Speaker 19: Yeah, they got direct injection now, so they're super high pressure. It goes directly into the cylinder as opposed to you know, going into the intake before going into the cylinder.
Speaker 3: Okay, I see what you're saying. And it takes more pressure to fight that can press the combustion chamber, right, I mean you have to.
Speaker 6: That to atomize that you're no longer mixing it inside the intake.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, So basically, sir, you got two areas to check three ozho three seven one three eight two five five. We got more coming up on the Troubleshooters show Denver Regen dot com. By the way, they do stem cell therapy for hair growth. I tried it, Like I said, Uh, I'm not Samson yet, but I noticed there is some new growth and it's actually working. They also do stem cell therapy for pain Denverregen dot com. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance Pain too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three O three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, your troubleshooter three O three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. Nick's got a comment on that Honda issue? What is your comment on that Honda issue where the guy had he he's the one that will not hold a charge. It was a parasitic drag and Griffin said it could be the relay for the air conditioning.
Speaker 13: I apologize. I was talking about the guy with the fuel problem. Why I wouldn't start.
Speaker 3: When it was oh, go ahead, go ahead, Nick, that's fine. Which what do you have to say about that?
Speaker 13: To me, it just sounds like it's some kind of vapor locking. Especially when it's hot, it stops and you know, there could be a few different things that caused out, but it almost sounds like it's a vapor locking problem.
Speaker 6: Yeah, in high pressure fuel systems anymore, vapor rocks pretty much a thing of the past.
Speaker 13: Right, not very common, but just the symptoms of what I listened to what you guys are saying.
Speaker 3: That's just you know, speaking of vapor lock. Is let me in general? Is vapor lock a design issue? In other words, if they design a car properly, why would it vapor lost?
Speaker 6: Because the fuel heats up and it literally creates vapor, which will.
Speaker 3: Even if the car fuel lines are designed correctly.
Speaker 6: When I started adding higher pressure fuel systems to get past.
Speaker 3: It, okay, it's not just a matter of shielding heat.
Speaker 6: You can get you can disperse the heat. I mean it was real common to you know, wrap wrap fuel lines or whatever. Ye get rid of the heat. But no, you have to add more pressure or get rid of that heat.
Speaker 3: Now. Ralph wants to talk about his two thousand and three Ford F two fifty. My god, today, I don't think we've had a vehicle within more than or newer than five years. They've been five years or older. Go ahead, Ralph, Hi, Thank hey, Ralph? What's going on? Ay?
Speaker 14: Trying to make it short.
Speaker 28: You're basically want to see about mechanic shop that folks didn't recommend, and then, of course what to do whether the scaledule scheduled maintenance O three Ford F two fifty V ten ninety nine thousand miles garaged its whole life. You know, I don't know if dealership's an option. I think we should getdraggon to queue up the knock on wood, though there's no issues with it right now. A small drip on the power steering, I think that's it.
Speaker 3: From how many miles did you say on it?
Speaker 28: Ninety nine thousand?
Speaker 3: Okay, well you've had good luck with it. Then you had it since new yes, Wow, wow, Okay, that's that's pretty cool. A V ten that's a damn big engine.
Speaker 6: That's a big engine. Yeah, they like to drink gass.
Speaker 3: What mile what mileage you get on that?
Speaker 28: It depends a little bit, but fifteen is not average, fourteen to fifteen depending on it's all highway.
Speaker 8: Or puts a little bit of stuff.
Speaker 3: I was gonna ask how many gallons to the mile? Oh so, so Ralph, what do you need to know? Basically?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 28: Okay, so the basic stuff? I think I got the spark plugs. There's horror stories with when they change those out. I think you met I'd never changed them, right, So I think it's new for that now fluid changes differential, Like is there the rear and then there's a this is a solid front actle, I think almost.
Speaker 3: So what should he do coming up on one hundred thousand miles to keep that sucker going?
Speaker 6: Guys, Well, if he hasn't done that power train service, those power train services, he's well overdue. So yeah, going through the transmission, the differentials, the transfer case, those are all going to be essential. Uh, you know, as far as you know any other where are you town? Do you live in?
Speaker 7: Up in Arvada?
Speaker 28: I had a great poor guy he sold his shop, uh the up north here northwest?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Because I mean the best thing you can do for yourself is to develop another relationship with you know, somebody in your area, somebody who's trusted, and that way they can guide you through step by step not only has problems come along, but in order to prevent.
Speaker 3: What is normal service though for that I mean normal Well.
Speaker 6: He's already done so, like he said, but he's spark plugs, which is afraid to get into.
Speaker 3: Adam, Why are you afraid to get into sparkplut I don't understand.
Speaker 6: It was more so one that trit and V eight we actually break crap, Yeah, they break as you try to take apart those tools in order to get them out.
Speaker 3: Why why was it.
Speaker 6: They sees inside there? Now there's tricks of the trade in order to keep it from happening.
Speaker 3: Well, you have anti seas you can use.
Speaker 6: Well, it's more so. I mean usually what we do is we get them good and hot so you're full operating temperature, and then you spray some penetrating oil on there, and while it's hot, remove them and knock on wood. That's been successful for me every time, where I have not had.
Speaker 3: The opposite because hot would.
Speaker 6: Expand expands and that's going to allow.
Speaker 3: But that's the same reason expands the engine quicker than the plug. Right, Okay, I see.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 19: The other trick I learned, and I got this from Ford school, was we'd spray a bunch of penetrating oil in there, like Jeff said, but then we put a half inch drive impact on there and just blast them out and up.
Speaker 4: That has worked every time for me.
Speaker 3: Now on something like this, are on a ten cylinder engine? Are they smaller cylinders?
Speaker 6: I don't remember exactly what the place on that is.
Speaker 3: Because otherwise that would be some giant end.
Speaker 6: No, it fills that. It fills that injured bay.
Speaker 3: How many horse power is it or is it more mainly torque than power then? I mean than than high end? What? What? How many horsepower is that, Ralph?
Speaker 28: I think it's around three eighty something like that, and then the torque can hire for four ten.
Speaker 6: The torque, Yeah, it was built for work.
Speaker 19: Yeah, it's a six point eight leader, so it's got good sized pistons in it.
Speaker 3: Wow. Okay, So guys, any parting words for him? Mechanic anywhere?
Speaker 8: Anybody?
Speaker 3: I like?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean if he's Arvada, then he's not too terribly far away from Kevin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Kevin can handle that. Sheridan Autoitech can handle that for sure.
Speaker 28: Okay, Yeah, I'd like and that's on.
Speaker 3: Uh, we didn't call facts Wes to Wadsworth.
Speaker 6: And the nice thing is is once you've got a mechanic, you've got a relationship with you know they're going to be four warn you of problems coming up, They're going to take care of things for you as they come along. And you know you've got somebody you can trust your nuts shopping every time you got a problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're good people, just really good people. So that shardanalldetech dot com if you want to look up the website three oh three seven one three eight two five five. And then we have Alison. What's going on? Alison issue with a contract.
Speaker 27: So I have contracted Can you hear me?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I sure can can you hear me? Okay, yep, I can hear you?
Speaker 27: So I contracted with it with an individual contractor to model my basement bathroom. So he started on the twelfth of June. And so during this like nine weeks later and he has just started putting tile on the shower.
Speaker 25: So this guy had.
Speaker 27: I don't want to say his name.
Speaker 25: He's still in my bathroom.
Speaker 27: I'm very uncomfortable with him being there at this point.
Speaker 3: Why are you uncomfortable? Why are you uncomfortable? Alison?
Speaker 27: So I'm uncomfortable because when I go talk to him about you know, his his scheduling and when he's going to be done. First of all, I can't trust his words because he's told me three different times that he absolutely guarantees he's going to be done, and then he's not. And then he then he guarantees, Okay, in another three.
Speaker 25: Weeks, I'll be done and he's not.
Speaker 27: And then he guarantees in another.
Speaker 25: Two weeks, I'll be done and he's not.
Speaker 7: And when I talk to him, and how big is this bathroom? Press?
Speaker 5: His bathroom is a tiny bathroom.
Speaker 25: It's like four foot by maybe keen.
Speaker 3: You know, the good news is at least he's showing up right. The good news is at least he's doing something right.
Speaker 27: He's not like true, well, I don't know what he's doing because because to have been there this long and to have this little progress behind him is a huge concern to me, and I feel like I'm never going to get him out of there.
Speaker 3: Did you say something, Allison? Did you say something about him being depressed?
Speaker 25: Yes, he's extremely depressed. I'll talk to him.
Speaker 27: If I talked to him, I've.
Speaker 25: Quickly learned that I can't talk to him because he will keep me there for an hour talking to me about things he he thinks God is going to fix this. He tells me to praise so that the bathroom can get done. He when I talk to him about you know, how how is it going.
Speaker 27: Today, I'll get this huge sigh.
Speaker 25: And this look as if like it's all overwhelming.
Speaker 19: And I.
Speaker 25: Have be super patient with this guy, and.
Speaker 3: I think, how did you find this guy? And how did you find it?
Speaker 15: He was a.
Speaker 27: Recommendation from another contractor who did some work for me a couple of years ago, and I totally trusted that.
Speaker 3: All right, did you pay this guy up front? Any money? Did you pay the guy any money up front.
Speaker 25: For what he's done so far?
Speaker 3: Have you thought about just cutting bait? If you've paid for what he's done so far? How has the quality been so far?
Speaker 25: The quality, I will not complain it, but the quality.
Speaker 3: Okay? What about just saying, hey, let's part company. I don't cute, are you? What about just just changing horses?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 27: You know I want you.
Speaker 25: That's exactly what I want to do, Tom, But I'm a single woman. He's been around my house now for nine weeks. He knows all the vulnerabilities of how to get into my house and when I'm there and when I'm not and all of the rest of it. So I'm concerned about firing him. And then I'm also concerned about someone not willing to take this job on and finish it for me because somebody else started it, Like how is that a problem?
Speaker 3: It can be, but I don't think that would be a major deal. If the quality is not terrible, that wouldn't be a major deal. Somebody who tells you have to start over might be just trying to get more money. But Alison, do you I need to know? Is it just a feeling or has he Is he giving any indication he might be dangerous?
Speaker 27: Well, he walks into my living space, like this is all going on in the.
Speaker 25: Bathroom basement, and like this morning.
Speaker 27: I had locked the door, and he goes around the front, walks right in the back door instead knowing that the bottom door has been locked. He walks right into my kitchen and I'm there.
Speaker 5: And he's like, I need to put these childs. Can I put these tiles out in your deck to dry?
Speaker 27: So, yeah, that kind of pisses me off, Like I don't I don't see, like, if what are my boundaries worth?
Speaker 25: Then, like I'm locking the door and you're still finding a way.
Speaker 27: To just walk into my house and please yourself.
Speaker 25: That upsets me because I don't think I.
Speaker 7: Should have to even say that to a contractor.
Speaker 25: I've never had a problem like that before with anyone here.
Speaker 3: Do you think if you asked him, if you ask him not to come, if you if you say, listen, I have some family problems I need to take care of. I want to stop the job. I don't want you anymore. You're you're paid up. Let's just call it quits right now until I resume or something. Would he just leave? Do you think?
Speaker 21: Wow?
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 25: The other issue is you should see the amount of craps that this guy has everywhere in my basement.
Speaker 27: Out the back, in my garage.
Speaker 25: It's like he's using me as a storage facility. He has everything.
Speaker 27: I mean, it would take him two days to clean it all up and get it out of my house.
Speaker 2: Better, you gotta start squatting in your base.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Wellie tell me this.
Speaker 23: So the guy moved in.
Speaker 6: Honestly, well, Alison started receiving mail.
Speaker 3: Alison, he hasn't spent the night there, has he, Yes, he got that she knows.
Speaker 25: Should show up until like two o'clock in the afternoon. Yes, he has spent the night.
Speaker 3: Yes, but listen, listen. You may have a problem with a squatter. Do you have any Do you have any friends, older gentlemen or friends that are that can come over. Yes, you may.
Speaker 2: You may want to.
Speaker 3: Have a talk with him, or you really should ask your neighbor to be there with you and have a friendly conversation on I need you out. I'm I'm going to get you know whatever, make up an excuse. I don't care, but you you need to get him out of there, especially if he's moving stuff in. Yeah, you don't want that to happen. You want that out of there. And that's what you need to do. And and and tell him to start moving his stuff. And you need him out by a certain date. And have that guy with you when you talk to him, just as a friend.
Speaker 15: Yeah, right, Listen.
Speaker 3: It is uncomfortable, Yeah, but I would recommend, especially if you're getting an icky feeling. No, I know, but you got to you gotta ask him again. Don't tell him you don't like him or you don't trust him. Give him another excuse, have a neighbor there to witness it, and give him a deadline date to be out of there. And and if he's not, I think you can lock him out. I mean you, you really can, especially if you're paid up to what he's done. I got to take a break. I'm sorry, I'm Tom Martinez. We got more coming up. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer. Would you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, you're troubleshooter. Steve's got a comment on Alice in situation with that contractor what do you have to say about that, Steve?
Speaker 8: Well, I just abound one seeing that if he's got a bunch of stuff there, like she said, my first question to him before.
Speaker 16: I said anything would be he is any of that stuff that dot.
Speaker 8: Her house that he purchased for fifty per job.
Speaker 3: Well, that's good to know you're right, because if it is, then she gets to keep it, thank chat. I'm just hoping that she can get rid of him peacefully, you know, without him freaking out or something. He sounds like he might be a little weird. I mean, although maybe he's just more of of an emotional kind of guy. He's asking her to pray and he's saying that he's depressed and stuff. So it's weird. It's just a very awkward. It's a very awkward situation when things like this happen, especially when you're a single woman you have a guy in the house and you're not I mean, you're you are, You're a little off base. It's it's weird and I don't know, so so in any case, we're going to follow it along, though, I hope she keeps us informed. Brian says he has a follow up from an accident. Now, Brian, did you call us originally about this and your son? I did, Okay, I'm looking for the call. Tell me tell me about it. I'll remember it and I'll get the call go ahead.
Speaker 7: It might have been a couple of weeks ago when I called in and he he for some reason a new car that he purchased failed to get collision insurance on it, but at least got me. Yeah, and so now.
Speaker 3: He did the guy run a traffic light?
Speaker 7: He actually was a stop sign.
Speaker 3: Hele right there and was this This wasn't a Kia, was it?
Speaker 7: It was a k five uh huh twenty seven thousand dollars worth of damage?
Speaker 3: And so how did he is this car financed?
Speaker 7: It is?
Speaker 3: Then how how did he get this financed without collision coverage?
Speaker 7: That everybody I talked to about this says the exact same thing. Apparently Key of Finance and Progressive Insurance do not communicate because it's not a law that you have to have full coverage on that vehicle, and they don't know.
Speaker 3: No, there is no law that, yeah, you have to have liability dictated by the state. As far as collision coverage, it's usually a policy of the lender.
Speaker 7: Right, And that's every vehicle I've ever purchased, I've had full coverage all the works, he said when he was online checking off the boxes of what he wanted on it on progress his website, he had the option of either taking collision and also you and I so, and when he clicked on those, it of course jacked it up radically. He goes, well, I don't really need those, so he took them off and it allowed it.
Speaker 3: Then that's well that you can't blame them for not doing not protecting themselves. Do you get what I'm getting at, Brian. You can't blame them because really collision is to protect themselves because right now your kid can walk away from this car and go bankrupt on the loan and they don't have a way of getting the car fixed.
Speaker 7: Right, And we've talked about that, but then we thought about the kid got the ticket, he's going to go to court, and now I'm looking he wants my son wants to sue him, and say, yeah, well well you should.
Speaker 3: But does this Does the other driver have insurance?
Speaker 7: No? In fact, the next day he came back with insurance and a registration that he purchased, showed it to the judge or whatever, and he got his vehicle out of impound.
Speaker 3: The vehicle Yeah, okay, back, Yeah, they don't hold that against him. They'll let him have the vehicle if it's insured. But here's what I want to know, though, did the judge order restitution?
Speaker 7: I don't know yet because I keep asking my son, I go, when's the court date on that? Because all he did was he was able to go into whomever show him that I've got insurance on this truck now and I've got here that's registered to me. Now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he doesn't get to go off free just because I mean, he's he's responsible for the damage.
Speaker 9: I agree.
Speaker 7: He has contacted the Rapahoe County DA, and I guess they will go after him. But again, we can't find I can't find out what the court date is. I go, and that's what you just called.
Speaker 3: Why don't you call the district's attorney and find out? Now, does he have a loan on He does have a loan on this, right, he does. You may want to check one thing. Sometimes there are what's called fleet coverages on cars that are financed that automatically go into effect when the barrower coverage.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think the agent that he talked with, he said that they do not have that at Progressive.
Speaker 3: No, it's not progressive, listen, I'm not talking about progressive. I'm talking about Key. I'm talking about the finance company. Finance companies have what's called forced coverage. And here's the way it works. At any given time, they have let's say a thousand vehicles financed, and they have this blanket coverage that automatically covers any of those vehicles that an owner drops.
Speaker 14: Now, I see.
Speaker 3: That, and it's called forced coverage. But I got to tell you something, even if that is in effect, the only thing it would cover is the lender for the balance, nothing else.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 3: It would not fix the car. It would pay off the loan.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 7: Well, and I talked to him about, you know, filing bankruptcy and walking away from it. He's worried because he has a top secret of clearance for Antarctica.
Speaker 3: He'll lose it.
Speaker 2: He'll lose it, and that's what.
Speaker 7: He's worried about, because he wants to go back down there.
Speaker 3: Well, then you need to help him. Somebody needs to pay the bill. You need to fix the car and keep it going. I mean how many? And then you need to sue this kid. But getting a judgment against this kid is not going to do anything.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I know, because certainly got to collect it, and if he doesn't have any money, that's right, worse than the sell his truck to pay for rest.
Speaker 3: Hey, Brian, your voice sounds familiar, Do I know you?
Speaker 7: Yeah, tomm you round?
Speaker 3: Okay, fine, okay, So listen man, this is a terrible situation.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, somehow he's going to have to pay it. I mean, I don't know how else to say it. He's got to pay it. Yeah, he's already got a loan. He can't get another loan on the car. I mean, how much does this car worth through? How much does they on it?
Speaker 7: He goes twenty on it right now, and.
Speaker 3: He's got another twenty in damage.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's going twenty seven.
Speaker 3: Well, he'll be into the vehicle for more than it's worth. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, it's Brian. You don't want to hear it. It's an impossible situation for him, and he may lose his clearance, but that's probably, in my opinion, the smartest way out at this point. We have more coming up. I got to take this break. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three O three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Tom Martino here three O three seven one three talk three O three seven one three eight two five five. Let's continue on the phone, Slam phones Today, Tony wants to talk about a transmission on a twenty fourteen Chevy Impala. Tony, what's going on?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 29: Hey Tom, thanks for taking my call. Yes, sir, Yeah, I just said I had two questions. One was I think it was a few weeks ago.
Speaker 6: I don't remember.
Speaker 29: You guys were talking about, uh, the more modern type of transmissions in that a lot of times on some cars anyway, they were good for maybe one hundred thousand.
Speaker 3: Yeah. What one is that the scene CVT his fourteen in Pallette doesn't have that. You have a regular transmission if you want to hold on because I don't want you to be rushed. We'll take you right after the break. We got a lot more coming up. Don't hang up people, We'll get right to you. I'm Tom Martino. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 11: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 3: Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance. Pay too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 1: Yea ripped.
Speaker 3: News needs you don't have.
Speaker 2: Run as as as we can.
Speaker 3: Shooter's gonna help.
Speaker 1: Come man, this is.
Speaker 2: The Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 3: No Tom Martino, Hey Tom Martino here. It's been a very very busy the car day. We've been talking about every aspect of cars, including insurance. And I have a question I'm going to put out there and then maybe you guys can call. I think the answer is you can't do it. It's a text message. I have a dirt bike. It's not registered or license. I just have a tag to ride around on some land or whatever. So they have a dirt bike, and how do you secure it from theft. Well, you don't. They can pop that thing in a trunk in a pickup truck. I mean, you know, he said, there are electric disablers for spark plugs and circuits and hidden switches. Okay, so you can't start it. That's not going to keep someone from stealing it. What about things like the club maybe, or something you put around the handlebars of the wheels. That still is not going to keep someone from from taking it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you can still look at you can pick fru.
Speaker 3: I know, you can pick the damn thing up with a hoist or something and load it. So, really, what do you do if you if you want to take it on the trail and you park it, I mean, what do you do? What do people do with dirt bikes?
Speaker 6: You'd almost have to keep it inside and put an AirTag.
Speaker 3: On it and then an alarm.
Speaker 6: Oh they you know, but a lot only keeps an honest man, honest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know. All right, Now let's go back to the phones. Three oh three seven one three talk a twenty fourteen Chevy, and Paula Tony had a question about it. He says, does it have that CBT transmission?
Speaker 6: No, it does not.
Speaker 3: It does not, which a CVT is continuously variable. Yeah, it's it's it's a better transmission in that it doesn't have moving parts, right, No, it definitely has movie I mean not as many movie.
Speaker 6: Not as many moving parts, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: And what else is good about it?
Speaker 6: They sell well? So other than that, I mean I've said before, you know, probably the best CVT on the markets inside the super.
Speaker 3: Why do they put why did they make CVTs? They're cheaper?
Speaker 6: Just fuel economy. Just about everything any of the manufacturers do is going to be attacking fuel economy.
Speaker 3: But is it cheaper to manufacture receiving? You know? Okay, So what's your question about your twenty fourteen Chevy.
Speaker 29: In pala Well, that was part of it was I was I didn't know what type of transmission I had, and I'm thinking, you know, I'd like the car to last for a while.
Speaker 14: And how many miles do you have on I just under sixty?
Speaker 3: Wow? That that car anymore? That car is pretty nice.
Speaker 1: It's very nice.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I really I really like you keep doing.
Speaker 6: The only thing you can really do is just scheduled maintenance. You know, Chevy has a very large timeframe and mileage span, but they say to do things like a transmission service. Personally, I recommend about every three years or thirty six thousand miles.
Speaker 3: What do you do flush?
Speaker 6: Well, I don't care for flushes. So but we say that one actually has a pan, we would drop the pan and drop the change the filter and ye, and so back up. There's the most cost effective means you can use trying to maximize life.
Speaker 14: Yeah, because I had it.
Speaker 8: I had it recently, Danda.
Speaker 29: Last year, I had a flush, was recommended at a dealership and I went ahead and did that.
Speaker 6: But then I heard you.
Speaker 29: Guys talking about that, and I thought I probably would have been better off having the hold.
Speaker 3: But you did have it flush. Did you have your filter changed?
Speaker 8: You know, I don't know.
Speaker 14: It's hard to know.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't with a flush. They don't problem.
Speaker 6: Yeah, typically they don't.
Speaker 1: I know that.
Speaker 6: I know that was a policy of rules. Even though they flushed it, they did change the filter. Also.
Speaker 3: It's almost like, why then if you're going to pull the pan, it's going to drain.
Speaker 6: A Yeah, you might as well just go ahead, you know, I drop the pan, change the filter, and do it the old confessional way. And if you do it at scheduled times, like I say three years a thirty six, then something like a flush is not necessary.
Speaker 3: So when did you have that done? That flush?
Speaker 29: That would that would have been I think it was in November of twenty three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So does he bother during the filter? Now?
Speaker 6: I mean it's if everything came out good and he's not having any problems right now, then I would say no, Wait, let's say yeah, I just go ahead and wait until you said you had about sixty thousand on it, So wait until you get about up to ninety and maybe ninety five thousand and do a conventional service. Then sounds good.
Speaker 14: Can I ask you one other question about sure?
Speaker 2: Driving down?
Speaker 29: I drive up and down seventy a lot, and I always have I put it in like fourth gear on those you know where you're going downhill for like five minutes because I don't want to be right in the trade.
Speaker 1: Is that bad?
Speaker 14: Is that hard on that transmission?
Speaker 6: No? I mean I do the same thing.
Speaker 3: Is it easier on the transmission?
Speaker 6: I wouldn't say it's easier. You're playing different clutches, and so you get what they call engine breaking, which is going to pull back onto the bit so that you're not writing the brake all the way down that hill. Even if it was, butter're on the transmission. You know, if you're talking about keeping your breaks cool and being able to stay alive, it's still a better option.
Speaker 3: Okay, thanks, Tony, I appreciate sure. Three oh three seven one three eight two five five. Now it's Bennett has a two thousand and nine Volkswagen Beetle. Possible transmission issue. Bennett, I've heard about this Beetle before you bought it for your wife. Isn't that right?
Speaker 10: That is correct?
Speaker 3: And what's wrong with it?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 10: Well, Tom, here's the thing. I've had it into the dealership for a week. They called today they said, we're not sure what's wrong. We'd like to change transmission fluod.
Speaker 3: What do you mean they don't know what's wrong? What was it in there for? To begin with?
Speaker 10: Well, what it is when my wife first starts to accelerate, it kind of hesitates, and then if she steps down on the gas a little more, she's good to go. And it doesn't do it all.
Speaker 3: The time, and why what did they want to do?
Speaker 8: Tom?
Speaker 10: This is what really frustrates me. They called today, they've had it a week. They said, why don't we just change transmission? Food in it for a thousand bucks?
Speaker 16: And that's very ridiculous.
Speaker 3: That's ridiculous, very ridiculous. That has nothing to do with the transmission.
Speaker 6: Break it to me. I'll do it for nine ninety nine.
Speaker 3: You want to listen look it, Bennett, what you described, I can't even imagine how changes.
Speaker 6: It almost it almost sounds more like he's getting a thwaller response.
Speaker 3: Prob Yeah, I mean this has nothing to do with the transmission. Most likely.
Speaker 10: Well, you know, Tom, I'm not sure. But when they call today, like I said, they've had it Monday through today.
Speaker 3: I would just take it, say don't do anything.
Speaker 10: We are my wife's going down to pick it up now. But my question is where do I take it? Where it And the problem is it doesn't do it every time when you first start out, No, I get it. Kind of hesitates. She steps out of the gas a little more in a way.
Speaker 3: She goes, that could be anything, Bennett, Honest to god, Bennett, let me ask you something. What dealer. Did you have it? Where did you have it?
Speaker 10: I had it a tiny and I'm very disappointed with him.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm disappointed that they want to change transmission fluid and see if it helps. At one thousand dollars, that's ridiculous.
Speaker 10: Well they even said today we're not sure if that'll carrier how much?
Speaker 3: Jeff, if he did service that transmission, would it be Oh?
Speaker 6: And that one we're looking at three eight?
Speaker 3: You know, Tom, and you don't need it. You don't need it. I would take it. I would take it over to share it in auto tech, you know what.
Speaker 10: And I think that's exactly what I'm going to do. But you know, Tom, I always say, if somebody's going to screw me, use a gun.
Speaker 3: Use a gun. Oh I've always heard never.
Speaker 10: Mind, Hey, I mean Griffin dollars to change transmission flud.
Speaker 3: Come on now, Griffin, what do you think with Action Automotive Colorado Springs. What do you think about that? Beetle hesitating, Yeah, no, I don't.
Speaker 19: I know that your transmission fluid exchange is not going to fix that problem. Yeah, it could be a it could be something simple, you know, with the throttle itself. I'm we'd have to look at it to know for sure. I could have a dirty throttle plate. It could have you know, smart flugs that are starting to get tired.
Speaker 4: I do know this.
Speaker 19: I worked for Volkswagen for six months and it was the worst six months of my life.
Speaker 3: How many miles on that, Bennett?
Speaker 10: It's under fifty?
Speaker 19: Oh wow, I'll tell you what you know. I'll pull a Jeff Spicoli. He brings it down to me, I could fix it and.
Speaker 10: Order is that to bring it? Tom?
Speaker 3: Well, no, you can't go all the way down to the Springs for it.
Speaker 4: If he wants to see the best looking technician he can.
Speaker 3: I didn't see that snapshot yet they were going to put up with that's a two for right there. So Bennett, seriously, you're closest to Sheridan right now that you could do. I would, That's what I would do.
Speaker 10: You know what, I think you're right, Tom. I love talking when you guys talk about shirt and I think they're honest enough. But you know the thing that gives me charging a thousand bucks to change your transmission for but we're not sure if that's gonna help.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, they're positive. Let's put it this way they're positive it's not gonna help. I mean, why would they say we're not sure. I mean they they could have said we're gonna wash your windshield, we're not sure if it'll help. I mean, it's ridiculous. Three oh three seven one three eight two five five. Michael's got a comment on that VW issue. Go ahead, Michael, what do you think?
Speaker 23: Yeah, I'm assuming it's a new car, which probably means it has it's.
Speaker 3: An O nine, Man, it's an O nine.
Speaker 23: Oh it's no nine. Never, Mike, What were you.
Speaker 3: Gonna say, though, What were you gonna say?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 23: They got that silly auto start thing for the safety.
Speaker 3: Oh oh oh yeah yeah, yeah, you're right, the gold golf cart mode, I call it.
Speaker 23: I disabled that thing every time I start the car.
Speaker 3: Hate it. Thanks for calling man, Appreciate it. Three oh three seven one three eight two five five one. Clear Choice Garage Doors for your garage door needs, whether it's an opener, a spring, a panel, anything to do with the opener or the do These are the best people around one clear Choice Doors dot com. I've been promoting them for years. I've used them seven or eight times on my home seven to zero three seven zero thirty nine eighty seven one clear choice. Doores dot com Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 11: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 3: Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance. Paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi, Tom Martinez, Let's talk to Susan real quick here, and then I'm going to go to Brian Burns at Compass Insurance about a lingering question we've had. Susan, you first, what's going on?
Speaker 24: Hi?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 24: I just wanted thanks for taking my call. I just want to let you know I talked to you about a little over a month ago about my Hyundai and uh not being able to get ahold of Corporate Hyundai to get reimbursed for not having my car and to reimbursements and everything I have been paid. I'm happy, Hi, Happy, everything's great.
Speaker 3: So I'm just so wonderful, no fooling. This is the Tucson and uh, the engine went bad. Hyundai replaced it. And now you wanted you wanted uh reimbursement for expenses. That's wonderful.
Speaker 24: Yes, And they told me I was entitled to that. I had three case managers. The third one was very rude. And after I talked to you last week and I don't know if it was a coincidence or whatever not last week that day they called me like an hour later, and I don't know what happened, but she is like my best friend.
Speaker 3: There's never a coincidence when you call the troubleshooter show sister that.
Speaker 5: It was amazing.
Speaker 24: Turn around.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 24: I'm very happy.
Speaker 3: So thanks you, by the way, Seriously, we appreciate it. I love using my dinger on a Friday. She's got success. Okay, appreciate it. Thank you. Hey. Brian Burns Compass Insurance Group. Chuck called in earlier. Chuck was in an accident. It's his fault. He has Progressive insurance. Yeah, and he wants to fix his own car. I mean literally fix his own car, and they won't do it. They say, Nope, got to take it to a shop. Okay, Now, Brian, I know what if a roof, If I want to do my own roof on a house, claim, can I do it?
Speaker 10: You can?
Speaker 28: You can do your own. They know in both the autos and the home they have the right to inspect of course.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 28: And they're you know the issue and I've had this happen actually.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 28: The issue that comes into play is that when you're trying to get profit, trying to determine that if you're not an authorized business, like you don't have a certain you know, amount for a bid that you're sitting in there, they'll pay, uh for reasonable profit. But that's where it has become difficult, is if you're not an established business trying to come up with the value of that profit.
Speaker 3: But I mean, how does he fight this? They told you, Chuck, they will not pay. Is that right? Is Chuck on?
Speaker 2: I thought it was Chuck And uh.
Speaker 3: Chuck, what did they say when you said you're going to do the repairs yourself?
Speaker 12: Well, they said I had to bring it into the shop and they tear it down and then they would fix it and then they would pay for it.
Speaker 3: What if they what if a professional shop gave you the estimate and they paid for it.
Speaker 28: I was going to say, Tom, exactly what.
Speaker 3: If they if the shop gave you the estimate? How about all this you got?
Speaker 18: Maid'll generally go around though, what's that mark? How about all the supplemental claims it typically happened?
Speaker 28: What about it bro on the auto insurren side of things? I mean, well that's the I mean, does he have experience doing this? Is he does he do this?
Speaker 3: Fort Are you qualified? Chuck?
Speaker 12: I used to do it when in my younger days. Yes, I did, but I gave him an estrumaut from a body shop.
Speaker 3: I think. Okay, you did give him an estimate from a body shop. Yes, and they won't write the check, mineus your deductible.
Speaker 28: No, okay, And I'm looking. I'm actually reading a progressive policy as we speak, trying to find did they show you in the policy where they have the right to withhold the money?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 28: Well, that's the first thing I would ask for. Show me in my policy where this is where this is restricted or it's not right?
Speaker 3: Exactly? Show me the writing.
Speaker 28: Yep, because I'm reading it. I haven't found it yet. I'm underneath the collision and comprehensive and physical damage portion. I see where they have the right to inspect the property at any point during the problem.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's what you do. Then you say, I talked to an insurance expert and they told me that you need to show me where you can turn me down in that policy. I need to see the wording because all I want is exactly what another shop would get, and I'm willing to take the payment as full settlement.
Speaker 12: Jack Tom. I argued with them and they just said absolutely not to bring it.
Speaker 3: Did you say to them, I want to see it in the policy.
Speaker 12: And I will do that and see what happens.
Speaker 3: Just ask them to please point out in the policy language exactly where they can turn you down as the hit the repairman.
Speaker 5: Just ask him, Okay, I will do it.
Speaker 3: Call us back, call us back. I'll be happy to talk to you about it, Chuck. Thank you. Brian Burns Home of the Insurance Health Center three oh three nine nine six nine thousand. They'll tell you if you're paying too much, if you have a good deal, if they can beat it or not, and about your coverage. It's all free. Three oh three nine ninety six nine thousand. Now we have Anthony has an issue with a starter. Anthony, what's going on?
Speaker 8: Hey? How you doing today?
Speaker 3: Tom? What's happening with you?
Speaker 21: Man?
Speaker 16: I've got an old seventy seven custom F one fifty. Pretty fun truck if you ask me about. It's Gonnakna three hundred.
Speaker 8: It's got old three hundred straight six in.
Speaker 7: It, carb rated.
Speaker 16: I'll go run to the gas They'll start right up immediately when I get in it. After it's cold, you know, all overnight whatever.
Speaker 8: Yeah, right up, no problem.
Speaker 16: I'll go run it to a gas station and go to Low's sitting in parking lot for ten minutes, maybe go.
Speaker 8: Back to start it, and it turns and turns, and I'll.
Speaker 16: Have to floor it on the with the gas pedal.
Speaker 3: We're having so many similar issues with cars not starting after they warm up.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm that one there. Yeah, very high possibility.
Speaker 3: Why because of the age of that vehicle.
Speaker 16: Because that fuel line goes right up over the engine and get the other side of the carburetor and that's all hot right there. I'm like God, because I did everything I did, rebuilt the car.
Speaker 3: Now does it happen in the winter?
Speaker 13: Oh yeah, yep.
Speaker 16: Happens then too?
Speaker 3: What why would it happen then?
Speaker 8: I mean unless I didn't, I could.
Speaker 3: Not let it cool. Let me ask you this, how long has it been going on? How long has it been going on?
Speaker 16: Oh? Ever, since I got it a couple couple of years.
Speaker 6: Now I just dealt with it.
Speaker 8: I just sit there and wait for it.
Speaker 16: To cool down a little bit, and then it finally starts after a while.
Speaker 3: Griffin, what do you think a little ether?
Speaker 19: I'm not as I'm not as familiar with the with the older carbureting systems like that. I'd have to actually get eyes on it to check that out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 16: I was thinking wrapping the fuel lines seeing if it'll stay cooler.
Speaker 14: Maybe doing that, but I.
Speaker 3: Willn't definitely be a good start, right, Well, yeah, you got to do something to to at least mitigate the heat. But it doesn't make sense to me. Maybe you guys feel differently that it would happen in the winter.
Speaker 6: Well, the proximity of the fuel line next to the engine.
Speaker 3: You do. Do you know they sell something.
Speaker 16: Called the heat right over the valve covers?
Speaker 3: Okay, do you know they sell something called heat shield? Have you ever seen heat shield.
Speaker 16: I have, And that's why before I went and bought it, I was like, God, I should have someone can't hurt.
Speaker 3: I know this, It can't hurt.
Speaker 16: No, wrap all the lines right there and see if it keeps it cooler.
Speaker 3: Right, and some heat shield you wrap. Some heat shields you just put on one side. It depends on what kind of over.
Speaker 16: The injection system. I'm thinking about just going injection system.
Speaker 15: I'm not sure yet.
Speaker 14: Converting it?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 3: Really? Would that do away with it?
Speaker 6: He's gonna be running a lot higher fuel pressures at that point.
Speaker 3: When you convert to injection though. He has to do pumps and everything. Right, yep, you love the truck that much?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, yeah, I wouldn't. This one will number.
Speaker 6: Sell ever.
Speaker 4: For that to do that, that conversion.
Speaker 15: Yep, yep, they make a kick.
Speaker 16: You have to get a kind of I got a guru guy that I've done work with and he knows that stuff. He's like, it's a little expensive two to three grand, but there's a system for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's is it really not that? They're really not that hard.
Speaker 19: I just did one on a sixty eight Cougar and converted to fuel injection. It turned out awesome, and it's it's really not that difficult.
Speaker 8: That's what everybody's kind of saying.
Speaker 16: A couple of people I have talked to say, converted to fuel injection that on eliminate that.
Speaker 6: For Yeah, those old story.
Speaker 3: How many miles did you say.
Speaker 12: We're on it?
Speaker 8: Read?
Speaker 16: I didn't, but it has one hundred and thirty eight thousand.
Speaker 3: Well, and how long have you had it? A few years? You said?
Speaker 7: Right, I've had it two years.
Speaker 16: I bought it from my dad two years ago and he's had it his whole life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very cool man, That is very cool.
Speaker 8: All right, that's the cool truck. I like it. Thanks Tom, thank you.
Speaker 3: We have more coming right up on, Tom Martine go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 11: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 3: Time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three O three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hey Tom Martina here three three seven one three talking listen, Chuck. I just said to call Progressive and ask them to see in the policy where they can refuse to pay for the repair if you do it yourself. Chuck, you just called them already, my dead Tom.
Speaker 12: And what they said is when this started, I had to send in the video of the damage to the car with pictures, which I did, and they sent back an estimate. I take it back. They sent back, Yeah, an estimate of what they would pay, and they said, that's all we're going to pay unless you take your car to a qualified body shop and have it tore down and repair it. Then we'll pay them. But all we'll going to pay now is yestimak that we gave you. Yestimateth they gave me is two thousand dollars. And the power mirror on my car to replace, he said, just to buy the part cost fifteen hundred dollars. So have you ever seen an estimate on a video and pictures?
Speaker 3: But here's what they're saying. Here, here's what they're saying, Chuck. They're saying that they don't know if they can rely on you to do it without getting some kind of professional opinion on what it will cost to fix. You can get a professional estimate, but they don't have to do the fixing as long as it's a professional estimate. That's what I'm getting at.
Speaker 12: No, it was a professional estimate the one I gave them.
Speaker 3: And did they tear it down and look at it?
Speaker 12: No, they said the only way we're going to tear it down there.
Speaker 3: Where are you going to fix your car? Chuck? Where are you going to fix it?
Speaker 12: It's called uh Perry and Terry Autobody shop.
Speaker 3: No, No, you said you were going to do the work.
Speaker 12: No, but do I got the estimate at That's right?
Speaker 3: Well, Perry and Terry. It is a good shopper, used to be a great shot.
Speaker 12: But what I mean is they are yeah, okay, so.
Speaker 3: You're saying that progressive will not will not recognize me.
Speaker 12: Let me do the body work if I won because they gave me an estimate when they looked at the pictures in the video and they says, that's all we're going to pay. Okay, you're now the way they're going to fix it is if I take it to Terry and Perry and have it tore down and have them do the work. Then they'll pay them to do it.
Speaker 3: Okay, they have a right at Progressive to inspect the car and to estimate the car. I don't I think they're stepping a bit. Who do you talk to when you call Progressive?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 12: I got an agent to begin with, and then he could not answer the questions that I asked.
Speaker 3: No, but when you call back, who do you talk to the same person over and over?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 12: Sometimes yes? And then I talked to a supervisor, a supervisor and she and you're go.
Speaker 3: Through a broker? Are you going directly to Progressive?
Speaker 12: True Progressive?
Speaker 3: So it's an eight hundred number.
Speaker 12: Yes.
Speaker 3: I want Brian to look into this. I don't think he has to look into your problem. I want him to look into self repair because they are not allowed to refuse you to fix. They can limit what they pay based on a professional specially.
Speaker 2: Exactly what they're saying right now if you listen to them.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's what they're saying. That they look at the video, Chuck, can they look at the picture?
Speaker 8: Chuck?
Speaker 3: Please don't say it again, Chuck, please stop? Okay, stop the loop I hear you. Well, here's what I'm saying. I think that if you literally had a body shop do an itemized estimate, you could do the repairs because all they care about is the that they're not overpaying.
Speaker 18: But they're gonna have he's gonna have to pay someone to tear down and really figure out your.
Speaker 3: Insurance, your insurance. Do you have a loan on this car?
Speaker 12: By the way, No, I don't.
Speaker 3: Then your insurance doesn't care if you do it correctly or not. The only thing your insurance cares is that they don't overpay. That's the only thing they care about. That's why they gave you a low ball estimate. If you want to do it yourself, they don't trust your estimating skills, and they don't trust Perry and Terry for a cursory. Look, what they're saying is they want to know how much this is going to cost from a professional, and when they find out, I don't think you'll have a problem getting a check. The problem is once a professional tears it down and estimates it, you're going to have your car in a bucket of parts sitting in a body shop, and that's going to cost you to get estimated. So you're between a rock and a hard place. They're not saying they won't let you fix it. They're saying that they have the right to a professional estimation of damages. I don't know why they don't send their own adjuster out. I don't understand that part.
Speaker 18: Because it's widely because an adjuster is not going to tear it down, you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Mark, how many times do they really need an adjuster to tear it down?
Speaker 6: My god?
Speaker 18: Man, I'm thinking of when ADDIE's car got rear ended on twenty five.
Speaker 2: If you looked at it, just the trunk was kind of pushed in.
Speaker 3: Get it.
Speaker 18: The bottom line, Oh, the bottom line was the frame got bit So.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: Who would have known?
Speaker 3: Yeah? No, So what you're saying is they're not gonna And here's another thing. If you start your own repairs, chuck, and then you go ahead and need an auxiliary claim, they're not gonna believe that either.
Speaker 10: True.
Speaker 3: But can I ask something? And I'm not saying you don't have the right, I'm asking why do you want to do it yourself?
Speaker 12: Well, because I want the car fixed the way I want it fixed.
Speaker 3: What does that mean? To tell me what that means, because I don't think you can do it as well as Perrie.
Speaker 12: Andary Well probably not.
Speaker 3: But then tell me why are you trying to let me and just be straight with me? Chuck? Are you trying to make some money on this?
Speaker 12: Maybe no?
Speaker 3: Uh huh? Then what's the reason if he did? Who cares? I mean, I don't care. I'm but I'm asking. I don't care. I want to ask. I want to know his motivation. There's got to be a motivation, otherwise you would take it to a shop and have it done.
Speaker 12: Tom, I'm an old timer. I'm maybe four years old, and I've never been in a wreck for the last fifty years. I was in a wrec fifty years ago.
Speaker 3: And but Chuck, I'm just asking a simple question. Why is it so important that you do the work?
Speaker 12: It's not that important to me. What tease me off, Tom is they won't give me a good estimate on the car so I can do what I want with the money.
Speaker 3: Is it possible you're not going to fix the car?
Speaker 12: It's I could flip a coin right now, So.
Speaker 3: Chuck Waite, that's where so I do have the motivation? You would rather just get paid for the damage. You're allowed to do that. Did you know that you're allowed to do that?
Speaker 2: I told you it doesn't have to be secretive.
Speaker 3: Man, if you don't have a loan on that car, and they're not, you don't have a lender that is a named insured, you have every right to collect every penny for every piece of damage, and you do not have to fix it. However, Progressive will cancel the insurance after that, which is fine. But you have a right to be paid. And in fact, if you get the estimate, how much was the estimate from Perrietary.
Speaker 12: Thirteen thousand, four hundred dollars?
Speaker 3: Okay, I believe that you have a right to get paid, and you can probably go to the insurance commissioner and put in a formal complaint and get You have a right to get paid for your damage. There's no two ways about it. I just needed to know your motivation. Now it makes sense to me. Why don't you just tell them you want to get paid and you don't plan on fixing your car. You're allowed to do that.
Speaker 12: I did, and they called me. We gave you an estimate, and that's all we're paying.
Speaker 3: You until you can prove them differently. That's what they're challenging you. They're challenging you to have it professionally assessed. And you have one, so you may want to sue them for the thirteen thousand dollars and sue them in bad faith if they don't pay a claim. Listen to this, a righteous, legitimate claim you you can sue them for treble damages. And perhaps you ought to see an attorney about bad faith insurance, because truly, Chuck, you can do anything you want with the money. You do not have to have that car repaired. It's not financed. I'm Tom Martino. We have more coming up. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. All right, why not finish the great call from Joseph three three seven. Well, I'll just give out our number three oh three Martino. You can call it twenty four to seven. Leave a message. We will get back to you. Three oh three six two seven eight four six six Jo. What's going on? Yes?
Speaker 26: I don't ever remember me. I called Tuesday, I think, or Wednesday about a eviction.
Speaker 3: Problem I have, Yes, sir, Are you the one that we really do feel bad for you? Man? Are you the one that sent your money away in a ups package?
Speaker 12: Yes?
Speaker 3: Wrapped in foil?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 3: Okay, what did you want to talk about? I look at there's not much we can do about it, did you?
Speaker 24: For those listening?
Speaker 3: For those listening, this guy was scammed and somebody told him to send his money to them because he was under investigation for child pornography. And if he sent the money out of his account, yeah, and if he sent the money from his account, they would send it back when they were done. He took out forty grand in ten thousand dollars increments at a time, wrapped it in tinfoil, and you ps did to the scammers? So what did you want? What do you call them about now, Joseph, I don't know what to do man to help you.
Speaker 26: By the way, well, in the first place, I didn't ask for money.
Speaker 14: I never know.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, we know that, we know that.
Speaker 26: I follows you since you started. You're a very good man. I listen to your program all the time because you give some very good advice and help a lot of people.
Speaker 13: So that's that's.
Speaker 6: Nice of you.
Speaker 13: That's horrendous.
Speaker 26: But the other day, mister Major asked your phone caller or your phone answer to call me and tell me Mark wanted to talk to me about it and help. Uh So I waited on the uh hold for a.
Speaker 3: We're running out of time, Joseph. By the way, you sent us your bank stage Joseph, Joseph, hold on, I want to put you on hold, hold tight. Yeah, we want to talk to you off the air. We did. We did looks at your statement. You were ripped off and we're very very sorry about it. But I don't think there's much we can do about it. Hold on, by the way, uh Kemera Transmission Jeff vic Transmissions Denver dot com and then Actionautomotive Service dot com.