Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. So I'm in the kitchen this morning and my husband walks in and he goes.
Speaker 2: Your face looks like it hurts, and I was like, that's a nice thing to say in the morning. It's a little rough. Wow, your face is what's wrong with your face? And I'm like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Something I was allergic to in Cleveland. I don't know what it was, but I started just crying this. I won't stop crying since yesterday morning. Anyways.
Speaker 2: My eyes are all puffy, my face is puffy.
Speaker 1: And then he's like, oh, do you hear about the San Diego Zoo and what they're doing. And they're live streaming baby animals tomorrow because there was a study from leads that said reduces stress by fifty percent looking at pictures and videos of baby animals.
Speaker 2: So they'll be live streaming it all day long.
Speaker 1: And I go, God, that's so funny, because yesterday at the backdrop at the hotel where the officers and the dog police dogs check your bags before you go to the stadium, I said I was playing with this dog for like five ten minutes. This dog was so cool Bentley's this dog's name was beautiful. Dog didn't look like a police dog at all, and it made me just started the day off so well, blah blah blah blah blah. And then I'm like, oh, it was because that dog was like licking my face and I was like on top of me for ten minutes.
Speaker 2: And it was great and it was wonderful. But that's why my face.
Speaker 1: Is the size of your forehead. I'm sorry that was an unnecessary shot.
Speaker 2: It's all right. Sometimes when you're not feeling well, people lash out. It doesn't hurt.
Speaker 3: I'm wearing a hat today hide the forehead so you don't have to.
Speaker 2: Your forehead doesn't bother me anyway.
Speaker 1: So I took an allergy pill, so hopefully I'll stop crying at.
Speaker 2: Some point today.
Speaker 4: I had a great, great weekend.
Speaker 3: We're rehearsing for the show Friday's opening night, and so we had long days over the weekend. And I remember Saturday, I get up, I'm hanging out with my dog. I'm not allergic to them, and eat breakfast and just like read through some stuff and I watch a stupid YouTube video on would work like nothing associated with anything that has to do with campaign or elections or polls or anything. It was such a great morning and I'm thinking, well, I have long day rehearsals and a lot of tech stuff we got to do, and I don't have to talk to anybody about anything that has anything to do with politics. And I'm not in that room for five minutes and somebody walks up to me like, Hey, I didn't get a chance to listen to your show this week. Did you guys talk about that?
Speaker 1: And I went, that's funny you say that, because yesterday DJ Daniel Jeremiah, who's our analyst for the CHARTERERSS Radio broadcast, said, right off the gate, right out of the gate, I'm so looking forward to this afternoon watching football and not having to think or be bombarded with any sort of election stuff.
Speaker 2: That is an important thing to remember that on.
Speaker 3: I know not everybody watches football, and I mean the sports is not an escape for a lot of people like it is for us. But there's things to do that are not politics, and there are things that you can busy yourself for the next several days because this is not a one day thing. I mean, tomorrow is going to be important, but it is not going to be over tomorrow night. I mean, the chances of that are very, very slim. So find the thing.
Speaker 2: Maybe you learn to paint, maybe maybe listen.
Speaker 1: I never learned to paint, but my painting is atrocious, but I find it very therapeutic.
Speaker 3: Well, I feel like there's a lot of people who are going to need some therapeutic things.
Speaker 1: And if I walk around the neighborhood, look at the flowers, look at the floora and the fauna.
Speaker 3: Your point about baby animals being the thing, like there's something out there. I would love to hear what it is that people look for, you said baby animals. One of my wife's favorite themes when it comes to short videos that you can find on YouTube or Twitter or something like that, is babies wearing glasses. And a lot of times, you know, babies get glasses for the very first time and they fight it and they don't like it it's on their head, and then they go whoa and they could see their mom's face for the first time or something like that. What is it that makes you that happy? Like, do you need something that you can do just a quick shot of dopamine or whatever to put all this stuff out of your mind.
Speaker 1: One of my friends from high school, she had those like coke bottle lens, that's massive glasses with a huge lens, and she says she remembers the first time she put them on, you know, three four years old or something, and she said, what is this? She picked up something off the street. She said, what is this? And her mom said, that's a leaf. Jessica, she didn't know what a leaf was.
Speaker 4: What a moron?
Speaker 2: She couldn't see? Oh, oh, be cause she couldn't see see.
Speaker 1: That's one of the that's one of the things about blind people or near blind people.
Speaker 2: You think they're dumb. It's not that they're dumb, they just can't see. I think they're done. Well, that was your reaction.
Speaker 4: So we're all a little touchy.
Speaker 2: It's not about the blind.
Speaker 3: Okay, But to dip our toe into this thing that is going on, we can't ignore it. There are obviously a bunch of campaign events going on today, which is going to be the last day. So former President Trump is going to be in North Carolina and he's speaking right now in Raleigh, North Carolina. He's got a couple of stops in Pennsylvania. He will close the night out in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Vice President Harris is in Pennsylvania all day. She has five events in different parts of Pennsylvania today.
Speaker 4: Describe.
Speaker 3: I mean that should exemplify or illustrate how important Pennsylvania and its nineteen electoral votes will be.
Speaker 4: For tomorrow.
Speaker 3: She's got events planned with Oprah and Lady Gaga and Katie Perry along those lines. The security fencing has already been put up around the White House, around the Capitol Building, around the Naval Observatory, which is the official residence for the Vice president. Authorities have said they have no credible threats. They don't know of anything that's being said or talked about that they believe would be credible, and the Washington DC Metro Police chief said at a news conference there is no need for any alarm. Is in the meantime, go look at a cat playing the piano.
Speaker 2: Is this whole.
Speaker 1: Media firestorm about it being a mess following the election day?
Speaker 2: Is that all media driven?
Speaker 1: What are the chances that we have the election and Trump wins and all of the Democrats just go all right, Well, I'm just not going to pay attention. I'm just going to go live my life and fight for what I can fight for, and I'm just gonna pretend this never happened.
Speaker 3: That is one of the things that we I mean, like you and I I think we have to be careful about it is because we have to constantly remember where we are and what we're doing. That the algorithms, whether it's Twitter and social media whatever, there is a not a desire. There is an emphasis on the more exciting things.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: And the exciting thing is people lose their minds and they take to the streets and they get mad and they are upset and they burn the buildings down.
Speaker 4: And the more likely is just what you said.
Speaker 1: Right, fine, And that's the thing we've talked about at numerous times. The loudest people in the room get all the attention, and they shouldn't. You know, the guys that are going to take to the streets armed because they're pissed Trump lost few and far between. The people who are going to have mental health crises and have to go, you know, bunker down with a baby animal, probably few and far between.
Speaker 2: But they're the ones that are getting all the coverage.
Speaker 3: How do you make sure that you don't get caught up in all of this and lose your mind over these next save seventy two hours, Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 4: Happy Monday.
Speaker 2: All I need to do is listen to your show.
Speaker 4: I'm good.
Speaker 5: That's all I need.
Speaker 4: Gary and Shannon. Keep doing what you're doing.
Speaker 6: That's all I need.
Speaker 4: Dopamine is flowing.
Speaker 2: Good, The dopamine is flowing the show.
Speaker 1: I would like to give a shout out to our friend Crystal Gas family member who was at the.
Speaker 2: Game in Cleveland.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she said, I love you and Gary.
Speaker 7: That's right, Hi, Gary and Shannon, It's Michelle in Chicago. One of the things that gives me pleasure is seeing Mary Poppins, the dog from Deadpool and Wolverine. So yesterday I screenshotted the picture of Mary Poppins with the goggles on, running through the fire and going to Deadpool, and now I get to look at that picture all day and tomorrow and it makes me happy.
Speaker 4: Well, everybody's got something.
Speaker 2: Let's see what this mail is again. This is a handwrite letter she gave me her.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming it's a sheet because a penmanship is beautiful and I can tell.
Speaker 2: Him in trouble. What do you think I'm in trouble over? Do you think it's Jesus related?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 4: No, I would have Well, I mean it may be based in that.
Speaker 1: But dear Shannon, your show is the best I listen every day. You're such a great lover of animals. So this is a short story my daughter wrote which I thought you may enjoy. She's a big fan of yours. Also, we met you at the Magic Castle a few years back.
Speaker 4: Well that was a while ago.
Speaker 2: I hope you have a great weekend, Liz.
Speaker 4: This's a story about the Rainbow Bridge.
Speaker 1: I'm going to read the story. It's called Mama Birdie, a true story. It's a bird story. It was printed in Newport Beach, living in fact. But I'm going to whittle it down a little while, okay, because that'll take about Yeah, I'll do a little editing, all right, but don't worry. We'll give you the good bird story coming out Saturday night.
Speaker 3: We all started getting messages. Well I shouldn't say we all. I assume people get news alerts. I don't know why this became a news alert, but Vice President Harris diverted her campaign plane back to New York, so she could show up on Saturday Night Live during their cold open, in which Maya Rudolph as Kamala Harris says she wishes she could talk to somebody in her position. You know, a black South Asian woman running for president, preferably from the Bay Area. She looks into a mirror and their fake mirror, and there is Kamala.
Speaker 6: Henry.
Speaker 8: I'm just here to remind you you got this because you can do something your opponent cannot do.
Speaker 4: You can open doors.
Speaker 1: A shot at Trump because he couldn't open the garbage.
Speaker 8: I don't really laugh like that, do I not? Kamala take my Pamela. The American people want to stop the chaos.
Speaker 5: And end the dramaa.
Speaker 4: With a cool new step.
Speaker 8: Mamala tep back in our Pajamala's and watch a rum Kamala like legally Blondola and start decorating for Christmas. Follow Lalala, because what do we always say, keep Kamala and carry on Ala.
Speaker 2: I mean, we knew where they were going.
Speaker 3: We knew Saturday Night Live they have a particular bent and that's not on It's not it's not lost on anybody. They did a skit a little bit later called what's my name? Oh, this was excellent with John mulvaney. Yeah, and he uh, Mullaney. Why do I keep doing this because.
Speaker 4: Mick Mulvaney used to work in the White House, I know, but I do it.
Speaker 2: Every time I'm old.
Speaker 3: But that was about It was making fun of people who are claimed to have such great political knowledge.
Speaker 2: Well it's not that.
Speaker 1: It's more I think about people who claim that the politics of today means so much in their lives.
Speaker 2: It's so important to them.
Speaker 1: And it's this game show, and it's this guy, John, the John whose last name I will not attempt anymore Mulaney. He is this contestant who claims that the twenty sixteen presidential election was the most important election of our time. It was huge, it meant so much to his life. And so they say, all right, then who's this guy? And they bring in white guy, white guy, average white guy.
Speaker 2: Who is this guy? And John Mulaney's like, I don't know.
Speaker 3: So then white guy goes, hey, you voted for me to be a heartbeat away from the Oval office and you.
Speaker 4: Can't even remember my name, Tim Caine. It was well done.
Speaker 1: And then they said something to the effect of say her name and that Twitter hashtag phenomenon from years ago.
Speaker 2: And they said, say one name.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he said remember the Oh no, it was Black Lives Matter, and.
Speaker 2: Remember thennor Taylor, right, And.
Speaker 4: Then he posted twelve names.
Speaker 3: They put his tweet up there but blacked them all out or censored them all so you couldn't read them. And he said the game show host challenged him, okay, name one right, And that was trying to just drive.
Speaker 1: Home the point that you're not as obsessed with this as you may.
Speaker 2: Think you are.
Speaker 3: Now NBC did get in a bit of trouble. One of the commissioners on the FCC suggested that Saturday Night Live NBC specifically had violated its equal time law by not offering Donald Trump the same amount of time yesterday. What they did was during a NASCAR race, the president former president appeared in an unusual ad. He spoke directly to the camera. It almost sounded like it was kind of off the cuff.
Speaker 1: So Trump goes on NASCAR and Sunday Night Football, which is his audience. Kamala goes on SNL, which is her audience. I don't think any minds where choughing happened.
Speaker 3: Yeahah, at the end of it, nothing happened to go because we've been burned before. There's a couple of pole polars pole polars who say this is unusual. Not only is it unusual that these poles are so close, it probably means they're completely wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Quincy Jones has his fingerprints on everything. You'd be hard pressed to find that you don't have, well, they used to be records, but you don't have something on your playlists or what have you that doesn't have his name attached to it.
Speaker 2: I mean all of not all of, but three.
Speaker 1: I think three of Michael Michael Jackson's albums were produced by Quincy Jones.
Speaker 2: There's My Party, produced by Clancy.
Speaker 3: The New York Times writer put together a list of what he said were the quintessential I think it's fourteen tracks of Quincy Jones, And as I was going through and listening to them today, there were some of them on there that I never ever, ever would have thought were Quincy Jones. But it's just proof that he had his hand in everything.
Speaker 1: It's like Phil Spector, but a good guy is that. Quincy Jones also did a number of shows. I mean he produced Fresh Prince of bel Aire, he produced, He did the songs for Sanford and Sons, and I mean he.
Speaker 2: Just he is everywhere in Cold Blood.
Speaker 1: I believe he got Best Original Score the Academy Award for that one, the Original in nineteen sixty seven.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow's election day. Obviously, we'll talk more about campaign stuff throughout the day.
Speaker 4: If man, if you want to just.
Speaker 3: Gouge your eyeballs out, start by watching c SPAN, because they're showing every event today. They went from they went from former President Trump's event to an event in Lacrosse, Wisconsin with with Tim Wall's wife Gwen. So we were asking ways that you get the dopamine flowing to kind of distract yourself from the bad stuff.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 2: Gary a high forehead.
Speaker 5: Is this big sign of intelligence?
Speaker 2: Yes, so there you go.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 5: And Shannon, I'm sorry about your allergies.
Speaker 2: I hope you're feeling better.
Speaker 5: And what makes me feel better Sometimes at night, after all the TV and all the books that's on the TV is turned off, I will watch YouTube videos of the songs and bands that I used to love in the sixties.
Speaker 2: Oh that's cool.
Speaker 3: I didn't see her swearing. I didn't see that coming either. I've been glad. I checked that one morning.
Speaker 6: The thing on Instagram that always calls me, there's a guy that makes little people out of acorns and pieces of the forest that he finds little twigs and then he places them back in the forest so they look like they're a little city. Or he makes a little bird Peter.
Speaker 1: I will do, I will, I will go look at that immediately.
Speaker 2: That sounds incredible. Was that your mom?
Speaker 1: This story that Liz sent us that her daughter Amy wrote about the birds is really lovely.
Speaker 4: Oh you do that?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: A week ago, I was out trimming my flowers, pulling weeds, when all of a sudden, this little sparrow started buzzing around me. She was squawking and squeaking, flying in front of me. I kept up to my gardening and I'm paraphrasing some of this. Why was this little bird sweeping swooping all around me? She's trying to tell me something. But just as I was pulling back some mint to cut, I saw it. It was nestled in the corner of my herb planter, a little nest with four blue, perfect eggs. And I told the little bird, oh, I see what you're telling me now she was a mama Birdie. She was protecting her beautiful, precious little nest.
Speaker 2: She says. I understand that because I'm a mama too.
Speaker 1: I apologized to the little bird because I knew what it was like to protect your babies at all costs. I went to bed thinking of Mama Birdie and how well she was guarding her nest and her great skill at communicating. The Next morning, I went to check on Mama Birdie.
Speaker 2: First thing.
Speaker 1: Three little babies had hatched, barely the size of a fingernail, the little bodies barely formed, and beaks moving occasionally. One egg was still sitting there without even a crack. I called my own mom to ask what she thought. Maybe it was a dud. But that night I came home and checked on the little nest and the fourth egg had hatched, now four little babies. I was filled with delight. Mama Birdie close by, perched on a bogan via branch. She once again told me stay away from my babies. I called my mom again. She told me to put out some bird seeds and water for Mama Birdie, and I did that.
Speaker 2: Next morning, I had woken up.
Speaker 1: To a whole mess of bird seeds splattered across the table. Mama Birdie had an overnight feast. All that week, she filled the bowls with water and food, checked on the baby, checked on everybody. One week and one day later, I was out watering the plants, Mama Birdie swoops around me again to tell me something. I just kept going Her babies were doing fine. I knew not to bother them, and she just kept trying to talk to me. I couldn't understand. I went to bed after spending the evening with my own kiddos, having dinner and talking. We all knew about Mama Birdie by now, I called her my bird. What was she trying to tell me last night? Well, the next morning she got up and realized they were all gone. Mama Bertie had raised her babies. They had fled, and she was trying to say thank you, Mama Bertie for seeing a fellow mama in the bird and for taking care.
Speaker 2: Why are you looking at me like that, this is beautiful.
Speaker 3: You're literally saying that the bird became an empty nester. Well, no, Mama Birdie left with the babies.
Speaker 4: Are you sure? Yeah? You think I thought Mama bird went to Kane coon or.
Speaker 1: Something, and then she ends with this amy, speaking of last times. You never know when it will be the last time, last time for a hug, last time for a word, the last party, the last time to say goodbye, the last time to be amazed by a mama birdie, her babies and her beautiful little nest.
Speaker 2: So enjoy every minute that sweet.
Speaker 3: I have to drink water to stop from crying. Hey, I thought it was lovely. See you're drinking too to stop from crying. Is that what it is?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Or I just ate my weight in salami.
Speaker 3: We football wise Buccaneers at Kansas City Chiefs tonight from Monday night football Chargers won in Cleveland twenty seven to ten. The Rams beat the Seahawks in overtime last night up in Seattle twenty six to twenty. New Orleans Saints have fired their coach, fired Dennis Allen as their coach, and they lost to the Panthers, right, and then the Raiders fired everybody.
Speaker 2: They lost to the Bangle.
Speaker 1: He got blown out by the Bengals.
Speaker 2: It's just embarrassing.
Speaker 1: But did you see that freaking hurdle play squon.
Speaker 4: The reverse hurdle?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: How do you how do you even do, like, what is it button combination on your controller to make that happen in a video game because it doesn't happen in real life.
Speaker 1: Doesn't happen in video games either. I mean, it was incredible.
Speaker 4: That was pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: You haven't seen it. It's worth a google.
Speaker 3: We were talking to people about what it is that you want to do to remain happy despite what's going on with the election and all that's right.
Speaker 9: Hey, Gary and Shannon, this is probably going to come at the more spiritual side, but during election season and just when it's chaos and people are crazy, praying and knowing that God is bigger than all of it gives me a lot of hope and that's where my hope is rooted. Also, having a list of things to be thankful for Gratitude fights anxiety.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's a good one. Yeah, Happy Monday.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: That was very helpful.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean that's the way you should start every day, right, going through your head.
Speaker 6: Hey, Gary and Shannon. What makes me laugh like belly laugh, rolling on the floor laugh.
Speaker 5: Is the video of the.
Speaker 1: Mom in the bathroom and the little girl comes in and the mom wipes chocolate on the girl's arm, but the little girl thinks.
Speaker 2: It's poop and she starts gagging. That is the funniest video ever made.
Speaker 1: Love you guys, I don't know that one, but I went down the whole of the man who makes the little people out of acorns. You mean be corns, b corns to keep baby birds happy, give them tips on how to fly.
Speaker 4: That's a good distraction.
Speaker 1: That was really good and I will find it and I will tweet it.
Speaker 4: There is a new.
Speaker 3: Tropical storm expected to form today in the Caribbean. It's going to bring heavy rain to Jamaica and the Cayman Islands before it strengthens to a hurricane and probably hits Cuba like they haven't had a rough summer.
Speaker 4: Storm would be named Raphael later in the week.
Speaker 3: It's also expected to bring some heavy rainfall to Florida and portions of the southeast, but may not maintain its hurricane strength once it makes it to mainland United States. There are several tornado sirens that have gone off once again today in Oklahoma City. Residents still surrounded by the destruction and debris caused by this weekend severe storms through that area. No confirmed tornadoes or reports of damage from this morning's storms, but we did see some yesterday. There were potentially a threat level of three out of five or strong tornadoes today. Several schools canceled classes and school related activities because of.
Speaker 4: The severe weather. So they're keeping an eye on that down in Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: So we often see here when dignitaries travel to a place that has been wildly affected by a natural disaster to give remarks, kiss babies, do all of that.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: In Spain, angry crowds in these flooded out areas have booed and thrown eggs at the Spanish King. This is just outside of Valencia, and angry residents boo and through eggs at Spain's King Felipe and Queen Letizia. More than two hundred people have died in the devastating floods there. They chanted murderer. He was visiting alongside Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez and the regional governor Carlos Mazzon as well, where locals have accused authorities of a lax response to the disaster. The dignitaries were posing for photos and the crowd went nuts.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The claim apparently is that the response has been slow. It's been uncoordinated text alerts went out to people hours after warnings of flooding from the Weather Service. Over the weekend, politicians ordered five thousand more troops to help with the salvage efforts in the flooded areas and said that this is the worst natural disaster in the country's history. Part of the problem has been political. The king and the local governor from different parties, and under the political system, Spain's federal government can't release emergency funds and resources without the authorization from the regional government, and that didn't happen until Saturday.
Speaker 2: It's done several days after that.
Speaker 1: It's not the king, it's the prime minister and the local governor that are from different political parties.
Speaker 4: I'm mister Gutt.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The King actually stayed and talked to people with the Queen, which went overwhel The prime minister and the regional governor took off like ran into a waiting car or something, which made matters much worse as you can imagine.
Speaker 3: And they're not out of this by any means. Just yesterday they were calling on people to take shelter. The Spanish Weather Agency increased its weather alert in the coastal areas of Valencia to the maximum red level because of more expected rain in that area.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and any time on demand on the iHeartRadio ap