Speaker 1: I'm now for Edmund O'Brien as.
Speaker 2: Gotta back and get your gum shoes on you. How are you're going to be busy?
Speaker 1: Who's this Ed Bonner?
Speaker 2: And I'm calling it from Hartford Redye, Boston this week. Get over to the Elwood Favorite Department store right away.
Speaker 1: Oh call me later, edlad.
Speaker 2: We got three hundred thousand dollars worth of liability insurance on their further department.
Speaker 1: Yes later.
Speaker 2: Now they haven't got a fur department anymore? Does that anybod Mike store?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: Edmund O'Brien And another transcribed adventure of the Man with the Action Pact expense account America's fabulous freelance insurance investigator.
Speaker 1: Yours truly Johnny dollar expense account submitted by a special investigator Johnny Dolla to mister Ed Bonner Mutual Liability Company, Hartford, Connecticut. The following is an account of expenditures and cut during the investigation of burglary attecting policy issue to Elwood Savor Department Store, Boston, Massachusetts or the eighty five Little met the Spencer counts item one dollar ninety cents taxi sair at Stuart Street entrance to the Elwood Favor Department store where a police emergency ambulance was standing open. Two police officers were helping a man in a white coat load a blanket wrapped figure onto the ambulance litter. I got my first information from the intern. I what's up?
Speaker 2: And work the wagon. I pick up where everything else left off.
Speaker 1: Guy's names, chronnies.
Speaker 4: An watchman here dead about an inch away. We'll already give my transfusion upstairs if a pullets don't kill him. The exposure world.
Speaker 1: What does that mean? Side holding his chest. He's also got frost byed. Somebody plugged him.
Speaker 4: Let him lay in the cold storage ball where they keep the furs.
Speaker 1: How long ago? Oh? Who knows a person?
Speaker 5: He winded up.
Speaker 1: Let's get out and I started group of reporters and camera and seem to be converging sort of freight elevator just inside the store entrance. I converged with him. We all rode up to the fifth floor. Were two plain clothesmen from burglary details stopped. I showed my ID card, argued for five minutes, and finally got a frown and a thumb jerk. I walked across thirty five yards of expensive competing through a cubbyhole office door into a large room. Standing in front of a huge refrigerated boult was a tall man in a black set. His name was Delaney. We shook hands. Go anything, Donna. Some guys walked down a here last night with eighty five mink coats. It's a mess. You got a cigarette? Yeah? Sure, heys. Door is going to be closed all day while a burglary squad goes over with everything they got. You can do what you have to do too, Thanks Lucin, and I appreciate it. What do you think if freight elevator is there? Either both, I don't know. They must have a panel truck or a big limo in an alley. Yeah, I noticed that on my way up. To keep any car hidden from the street, and they'd be able to work with o thing bouded. I got a man coming down to check for tire tranks, but I won't do any guns. Whoever they were, they did it quiet and they did it meat meat. Yeah quiet? You mean that night watchman Cronan that must have done some noise when he walked into them and got shot. I hope he lives to tell us something he's in tough shape. How about this the war just like the banks have, only smaller and they can also hang meat in it, not pride or blasted or cut into just plain old fashioned tumbler work, sandpaper, fingers and all. That wouldn't surprise me. Somebody was plenty guns, not even much of a jimmy or pride too, or feeling any just picked and fucked as nice as you pleasing. Fourteen little tumblers fell back. The doors will open. I thot that kind of thing stopped with Jimmy Valentine who reported it. Guy named Jimmy three Struggle, our manager of the fur department. Come on, he's in his office now giving a statement. A couple of my boys. You can have a listening, mister Strogano. This is mister Dalla. He represents your insurance company, oh, your.
Speaker 6: Acquaintanship, mister Dollar.
Speaker 7: Above all else, I am glad to make aha eighty five men court.
Speaker 8: While you're the three hundred thousand dollars coin of the realm.
Speaker 7: You have a course broad check for say.
Speaker 1: Yes, uh no, what they adjusted? Will do that, mister strogan I'm an investigator, but don't worry you. By week, month by month.
Speaker 6: Fourteen years I get two works from the insurance company. Two warns a premium Now is struggle of storm to say back into warm, stay strong.
Speaker 1: Believe me, mister stroganap Your money is waiting for you in a vault and a bank in heart. But when nobody can get it but you, whoa ba ba ba. I suppose you go right on with your second mister s we have to have it.
Speaker 8: You know why is my age for men in this direction?
Speaker 7: I answer you customer, telephone Friday, stand over mean court right away? Sis as I send night coluncy, where's got to party? To breakfast next morning?
Speaker 1: She's also wearing court. Maybe she's using.
Speaker 7: To party Saturday and to costel Sunday all for Monday. Ah, my husband does not like court. I'm standing back, Ship, said me.
Speaker 1: Real toughness to struggle. You can never tell what people do next, I admit, strugglos can't tell. Look if you just answer a few quick morning.
Speaker 6: Even as I arise, pumps.
Speaker 1: To me, are feeling of zooms? Yes? Yes, well about something is going.
Speaker 8: To ask bad, I said to myself.
Speaker 7: And when I get here, no, or even before I get here, I slip and fall.
Speaker 6: No, no, even before that parking ticket for too long past no even.
Speaker 1: Before you went on like that for quite a while, and the police stenographer took down every word. This whole testimony typed up into twenty three so your space pages, but only the following was of any use. Struggle arrived at the start approximately eight four. Found the vall door open and inside the wounded watchman Cronan. Also the mean coach's gone stroking off notified insurance company. Stroking off notified police. In that order, Spencer count item one dollar thirty five cents for two ham sandwiches, two bottles of beer, all of which I shared with Lieutenant Delaney, and stroking off stuff. All kinds are heist jewels, trucks, cars, banks. But this is the best so far, our real fourteen character double breastday number one. Dilly, that's what it is, Donna. How did they get in that? Say? They just opened it up and walked in the same way you're walking your own front door, Lieutenant. But how who's that good? Who? Well, the creepy kids they always say he's that good. We both know Creepy died twelve years ago Downamore and there was dancing Dan Marathon, Dancing Dan. He couldn't open a two bits padlock of he had the key? Who is good, Johnny? Who could do it? I wish I knew. Struggle enough is the only one in the stone. It was the combo, the only one. But I don't know. But you aren't taking any chances, didn't I see two of them in Taylor mat and you ret your life? You didn't? And by the way, didn't you put in a call to your office and having checked on you ret your life? I did cop one and all the time, tell any yeah, yeah, hi, Richie, gonna give it to him, Yeah, all right, thanks Hospital down the night Watchman Ronan died ten minutes ago without saying a word. I was hoping he'd be able to sell him some gaps, and he does at least one, which one the other Watchman story about playing the radio the part other Watchman. Now ready, Oh, I'm sorry, tell maybe you passed him on, So tell me about him as he shot too. No, no, no, we questioned him first thing this morning. You see, Cronan made the rounds and ready held down the office. We didn't know nothing about anything. Last night he was listening to his radio his office downstairs. What gap does that fell, and Doc says Cronan got it with a thirty two. It's a bit. They don't make much noise. And a man leaning into a radio close ready? Where can I find him? Right here? He's waiting in the locker room. Why do you want to talk to him? Yeah, mine, I help yourself. Donna, thanks a dollar. Yeah, you're looking for three hundred dollars worth a mink coats. I'm looking for a killer. Don't be a wise guy when you do your poking around. Huh, I'll I'll try to keep my nose clean.
Speaker 9: Lieutenant, Yeah, Illo you already you another cop in a way and walkway insurance investigator all like, mister insurance investigator.
Speaker 4: Am I supposed to tell you something little tip, the whole thing?
Speaker 1: No, mister night watchman, You're just supposed to tell me how things went for you last night? Wow?
Speaker 4: At my office from ten to six, when hoe went to bed, got picked up by two big flat footed coppers at seven thirty. And here I am how things go.
Speaker 1: To you last night? You sound a little put out, rady or are you used to places being hoisted where you work?
Speaker 4: What kind of a nasty crackers that?
Speaker 1: What'd you see in here last time, while you were doing all your night watching no freight elevator moving, No, no sounds on the stairs. No, And you didn't hear the shots the plug cronin. No I did.
Speaker 4: Why I sit in my office and listened to disc jockey. Radio is liable to.
Speaker 1: Smother a lot of noise. Wrong answers with cops like it. I don't give me a better one. I'll have to look for it, but I'll find it. Missus, show you'll show you.
Speaker 4: You'll never find those guys who trumped up of those coats last night.
Speaker 1: You sound awful sure of that. I am.
Speaker 4: You spend all your time on someone like me, trying to make up not enough and just to show everybody how good y'are.
Speaker 1: Really. If you're clean, you haven't got anything to worry about.
Speaker 4: Maybe, but answer me this. Who's gonna say when a guy's clean, when he's right or wrong? A lot of filing cabinets in a building somewhere, Answer the investigator? Who knows who's gonna say? Let me alone? Just let me alone.
Speaker 1: I didn't know what to make of already, but I didn't know. I wanted to know more about him. At the personnel office, I pulled out an application card. It looked good enough, and then I suddenly put it back. I had a hunch, and I headed for the Middleton Safe Company. The presidents and chief designers the Middleton Sace Company were standing under a blue life in the center of a newly completed bore. He seemed lost in a huge room of shiny, gleaning metal all around him.
Speaker 8: At excuse me for not receiving me in my office to inspection day is something like that. Now, this thing, this.
Speaker 1: Is what I call the big key. The use of the liting key.
Speaker 8: Completed a fortnight to go for the film American Bankers.
Speaker 1: You work on the Safe involves yourself.
Speaker 8: The drama of it captured me. Is the youth to compose and world and conform metal into an impregnable strunghold. What's fascinating? Yes, yes, yes, God finds case hardened perfectly alloid ohio steel strengthens to balla strengthen. But then I bore you there, And now then why are we meeting?
Speaker 1: So you can tell me something about Safe involves mister Medh.
Speaker 8: I could say, but I'm afraid You'll have to be more specific.
Speaker 1: All right, tell me tell me about the kind of vault you manufactured to the Ellwood Favorite apartments.
Speaker 8: Still, Oh yes, yes, yes, the serve bottle. Yes, because what precisely do you wish to know about that?
Speaker 1: For how someone could open it without knowing the combination with impossible occurrence? Have you read the morning papers people?
Speaker 8: What about them?
Speaker 1: That particular vault was opened last night and all the furs taken?
Speaker 8: It was what do you say, louted what that's impossible?
Speaker 1: It happens. That's why I am here. This is quite oh dmn names.
Speaker 8: Of course you're want a thorough account for my organization, of course, and I shall be glad to finish you with any information that.
Speaker 1: Might be helpful. I'd like to know how the combination was that and who knows it?
Speaker 8: But I'd have to know the serial numbers on that particular bault.
Speaker 1: Yes fridays.
Speaker 8: Oh well, you're a very efficient man, Mistergether. So you jotted them down, Well, let's go to my office and look them up. No, no, no, that will be necessary if I recognize these two D four or five precis. Oh d D stands for Diana, and mister Dana's set the final combination.
Speaker 1: Mister Dana, my chief engineer for years, and who else besides him would know it?
Speaker 8: Myself and the person's proper authority at Elwoods.
Speaker 1: Favor, of course, and I would be struggling on anyone else here. I like to talking with the Dana.
Speaker 8: Then, well, I'm afraid that's quite impossible. Oh, Albert Dinna has been dead for seven years.
Speaker 1: Up to and including that point, I had a whole lot of nothing to go on. But by the time I got back to Boylston Street, heading from my hotel, things began to happen. A police car pulled up at the curb and a familiar steps are on top of a familiar head leaned out of the window. Are you yeah, Hello, I might get you. I thought you might be interested in a guy? What guy? You know? When we found floating down the Charles River an hour ago? Who did? I don't know, But it looks like he's got the same enemies as a night watchman named Crawling. Huh. Yeah, there were two thirty two slugs in him. We wouldn't have picked it so fast, only that the second pair bensloballistics in one day, and they match like your two front seats. The same gun killed the night Watchman and the Guy in the River.
Speaker 3: In just a moment, we will return to the second act of Johnny Dollar. But first, it's a family night on the Bing Crosby Show again This Wednesday. Brother Bob and Being's son Gary already have scored with the Groaner this month, and Tomorrow night being fourteen year old twins Philip and Dennis make their debut as a guest team.
Speaker 1: You'll hear the kids trying to.
Speaker 3: Sell Dad a membership in the Bing Crosby Fan Club, a scheme that backfires, and you'll hear some rare and wonderful scenes. CBS cordially invites you to hear The Bing Crosby Show this Wednesday and every Wednesday over most of these same CBS stations. Now with our star Edmund O'Brien, we returned to the second act of Yours Truly Johnny Dollan.
Speaker 1: I spent half the night at the City Morgue and police headquarters Lieutenant Delaney examining the body they found in the Charles River and trying to identify him. All the labels were ripped out of his clothes and the laundry marks are cut off. We were left with just his physical characteristics and fingerprints. The mug file didn't duplicate him, and the Prince didn't check with anything intil so they sent them to the FDI in Washington. I got to my hotel at four am to get some sleep, and I got it three of the shortest hours work I ever had. Dolla. Oh, tell her when he comes in? Is that Bonner?
Speaker 2: Johnny? How would you like to be fired?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, mister Bonner, sir? What can I do for you?
Speaker 2: Turn up with any five minue coats? What have you been doing since yesterday's sleeping?
Speaker 1: Uh? Bonner, I've I've run my legs down to my knees. Honest, I've been trying to find out something anything. I've peaked into so many corners. I've I've got television eyes, and.
Speaker 2: I've got a weak hard. Unless we find those first twenty four hours, we have to pay off el. What favors three hundred thousand dollars?
Speaker 1: Well, what are you gonna do? Take it out of my page? We have to.
Speaker 2: We'll start by selling your money to a medical school, play Johnny do or something?
Speaker 1: Oh, Bonner? What that would say? The financial position.
Speaker 2: Triple A couldn't be better. They wouldn't steal him.
Speaker 1: I about the firm, man Strogan ass He's always had money family. All right, bonner, I'll keep after it. I'll tell you when I get Johnny.
Speaker 2: Don't take my shouting personally, but this is a big one. Give it everything you got.
Speaker 1: I lost myself. I can out of bed, take a shower, and get my clothes on. I started for the door, and I had no idea where I was going.
Speaker 5: Aha, mister dollar.
Speaker 1: When somebody did my thinking for me to.
Speaker 10: See you personally, I struggen off my astro the l would say, but for the department.
Speaker 1: Every years, do you have any news? News?
Speaker 10: Every paper in the country should hit twice, Never in my thirty years. But Association did that foul little beat with me as anything like this happened.
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 2: You wouldn't believe me.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm pretty gullible. Well it's incredible. I don't blame you for not believing. Oh, we're gonna keep up this game. And he had health. Don't get happy if it's stroggen off. I will tell you this morning.
Speaker 7: Raped in dirty card goes back is arriving at before the department.
Speaker 1: Guess what a mean court? Incredible it's incredible. Indeed, you mean one of the coats was returned by mayl right, I don't know that's that's encouraging. I am not old Joyce. You're still on me for eighty.
Speaker 2: Four courts.
Speaker 1: Item one cent for cab fair to Hellward Favors. It didn't make any sense that the men or a man who permitted murder to make the height would return anything. But one code had come back. And in the pocket I found a small piece of flick cardboards. It was only a third of an inch long, but there were three words on it. Country club dance. I was lucky. The country club secretary had a guest list and one name on it stuck out like the nose on Jimmy Duranty. Patricia Reedy, Yes, oh it was ready? Yes, who names Johnny Dollar? Your father is employed at hell With Favors me.
Speaker 4: That's nice enough, is he he's probably?
Speaker 7: Indeed?
Speaker 8: May I help you?
Speaker 1: I don't know anyhead. I show you at the country club dance the other night. Oh were you there? It couldn't keep my eyes up, Spree when you had that coat on.
Speaker 4: When I with this guy passed, Oh do you want Dollar?
Speaker 1: An information? Patty will you make some coffee yourself.
Speaker 4: Nothing I can't hand. Okay, dolla, what are you doing here? Who asked you into my home?
Speaker 1: My job? I can to find out about a mink coat that showed up at L's favor this morning.
Speaker 8: Okay, let's go out in the hall and talk.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, ready, let's hear it.
Speaker 4: I don't go into a long song and dance.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you everything just the way it will, and I'd be real interested. The way I figured it, you helped in the theft, maybe even killed Cronan. You kept one of the coats, but you got scared you might be caught with it, so you send it back your daughter. Let the dance take it in the punt.
Speaker 4: All right, here's the story, right down the line. I didn't help in the height.
Speaker 1: I had nothing to do with this. I didn't even know what was happening. My guy told you.
Speaker 4: I was in my office listening the radio.
Speaker 1: Tell me ready, I have been arrested. Dollar.
Speaker 4: You're smart enough to end it out sooner or later. I serve time.
Speaker 1: Sure you might as well know.
Speaker 4: Lots of it.
Speaker 1: Elwood Savor would be interested to know a trusted watchman to serve time.
Speaker 4: Or what to expect me to do when I got out, cut up and die, I got to live too. I'm straight now, I well almost. I had a wife, a kid, A wife died, and seeing the kid in there thirteen years of her life, she had nothing. But now I'm trying to make up for that. Everything I do is for her, not for me.
Speaker 1: About the coach I borrowed, all the safe was locked up for the night.
Speaker 4: I've been borrowing stuff right along. Whenever my kid needed anything, I always return them in good shape. Told Pat they let me do it.
Speaker 1: She don't know nothing.
Speaker 4: That's kind of a strange that I don't even know how to spell the lot of But I do know this, that girl in Mayor has a life. I have her mind's behind me. I got to give her every chance I can to look good, to act good, the usual brain, to meet the right people and go to the right places, not just for do you understand a millionaire husbands, but just for the right guy.
Speaker 1: In her and a fair cracking habits. Uh huh, Oh, you guys are all the same.
Speaker 4: You're work from a little book printed directions. Everything's black and white in life.
Speaker 1: Nobody's human.
Speaker 4: Oh well, that's sad. I don't know what you're gonna do, but I hope it don't blast that kids like the pieces.
Speaker 1: Brady, you should have thought of it a long time.
Speaker 4: I don't want any electure.
Speaker 1: You'll shut up and you'll listen to me. I think I believe you. Maybe you're right. Maybe we do work from printed directions a little too much. Well, I can use a little judgment on my job. I think for now I'll forget everything you've told me and forget where that code came from. Go on back to bed, go on, ready, expect that from your dollar, Brady. I know what bad breaks you're like too. I'll come on, come on, look, you'll you'll have me doing that in a minute. A dollar.
Speaker 4: I don't go in for the stupid and stuff I never have. Well, now I see it another way. It doesn't matter what you tell, as long as you tell it's a the right guy.
Speaker 1: What does that mean I'm going to give yourself.
Speaker 4: It'll take at least twenty four hours to identify the guy they find on the Child River I picture in the paper this morning. Well, I can tell you right now.
Speaker 1: Who is who? Who is it? Ted Gray worked in Ellwood.
Speaker 4: Favor about six weeks fire two weeks ago.
Speaker 1: How do you know? I just know? Versonnel Award Favor confirmed Ted Gray had worked there and was fired for insubordination. The address was fourteen thirty two Parkers Avenue, and I was over there in fifteen minutes. There was an ordinary understing which department house. No one answered when I knocked the apartment twelve, as the door had done locked. Except for the furniture, the room at alms nothing to offer. I poked around for half an hour before I saw the phone numbers written on the wallpaper next to the phone. There were fourteen numbers, and I started calling him right down the line. The very seven produced such things as Ling Chi Chinese hand laundry, the Happy Hour liquor store, and several other things that didn't have the particular information I needed. On the eighth call, I got the.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello Harry, eh Harry, Harry, Harry Gordon. I'm sorry, you must have the wrong jumper.
Speaker 1: Oh sorry, that's quite all right. Maybe he didn't know Harry, but I knew him, at least his voice. I called the tenant, Delaney, and told him where I was going. It was dark by the time I got to the Middleton State Sanctuary. It was a single work, like spreading a sickly yellow glow over the main floor of the loading platform. It wasn't a sound when I entered. That was too good to last. He went off somewhere in the darkness, and I dropped behind a medium sized safe and waited for a gun flash.
Speaker 5: Comas, Kenny Dollas, what are you doing here?
Speaker 1: Looking variety forming coach Middleton?
Speaker 5: I thought that put you on the poll. Do how much money do you miss?
Speaker 1: Not much, but say your breath. You're gonna need get to run a man if you are talent to do unlock in. I could never remember all those Spanish birds.
Speaker 5: Thanks if you get anybody coming.
Speaker 1: Lots of paper, Middleton, A lot if I did you.
Speaker 5: How do I know you were a priddler? You know I'll never give up, and.
Speaker 1: You don't have to shoot better than that. Oh my window throws off. Let the thirty two you use on Ted Gray.
Speaker 5: This time, I have a Lucas make you work.
Speaker 1: At Luga. Didn't help you much, Middleton. That's an ignom, and you blew a good light. I could never find what I want to look. I know why you kicked the watchman but why your own boy Gray? He is in the dear with me held out of the coat. That shows you how wrong.
Speaker 8: It can be.
Speaker 1: It wasn't Ted Gray. You see Middleton? Oh all this way? Now what's this? Jessep came Middleton? He's your boy? Yeah? Boy? For what for the fair heights and the bodies of the moors? How do you know? Ellah's a safe full of furs on his way to South America somewhere. If you hurry, you might stop it at the port of New York. Why would he kill the guy in the river? And who was that guy? Ted Gray? He was the man who cased the Ellwood favorite job. He reported eighty five coats ready to go, and when only eighty four showed up, Middleton thought he was holding back on him. Okay, Johnny, thanks for doing all the work. I was just lucky the lady you sure were. You could have been hit where it hurt worse. Come on, that's how the Ambulance Act can look at that shoulder. This is the only way to list is ready you make it? You know you're great on your feet.
Speaker 4: What about you get on?
Speaker 1: Well? I took the no hands caught at hot the Murray mister dollars coat, you take it?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Thanks, Maady, come on, Johnny dollars dollars, Bonner. I won't take another job for at least a week, all right, it's not that.
Speaker 7: What is it?
Speaker 1: Are you afraid I'll put a night out on the swindle sheet?
Speaker 2: You aren't finished?
Speaker 1: Not finished? And you got the coats, didn't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we found the safe down at the dot cottage just before. It was a load of from South America. Already four coats in it, all right, but you know the one that was set.
Speaker 1: Back in the mail.
Speaker 2: It's been stolen again. One still?
Speaker 1: Oh maybe, oh Dan, oh yeah, well you know, Bonner, somehow, I am. I have a feeling that last coat will be in the mail. Lamara sure positives along with the Bonner. Jenny who who? Nobody important? You know something? Parent? You were just grand and mink. Well the coach did show up the next day, and then the mail. Maybe she'll have one of her own someday.
Speaker 7: Me.
Speaker 1: I stuck around Beantown for a few days to get a better look at at the Bunker Hill monuments for Revere's home and her deep Blue eyes, which began hinting at wedding bells So expense account item eleven seventy five back home but fast Spencer count total three hundred and eighty four dollars and sixteen cents. Yours Truly Johnny Dallars.
Speaker 3: Yours Truly Johnny Dollars stars Edmond O'Brien in the title role and was written tonight.
Speaker 1: By E Jack Newman and John Michael Hayes, with music by Leith Stephens.
Speaker 3: Featured an arcast for Harry Bartel, Joseph Kerns, Hans Conried, Bill Johnstone, Howard mcneer, and Gloria Blondell. Yours Truly Johnny Dollar is produced and directed.
Speaker 1: By him del Bayer.
Speaker 3: Join us next week when Edmond O'Brien returns in another transcribed adventure of Yours Truly Johnny Dollar. If you've got a piece of string handy, you better tie it around your fingers so you won't we get to file your income tax returns. The deadline is March fifteenth, you know, and March fifteenth is right at hand, So to avoid penalties, file your returns promptly, but don't be in such a hurry that you forget to sign your name or attack your with holding safemany now stay tuned for the Adventures of Philip Marlowe, which follows immediately.
Speaker 1: Over most of these same CBS stations. This is CBS where you meet.
Speaker 3: Gene Au three every Saturday night. The Columbia Broadcasting System